4.0/5 (334 ratings)

About Coursera

Coursera is a global online learning platform that offers massive open online courses (MOOCs), specializations and degrees. Users can build skills with courses from universities like Yale, Stanford and New York University and companies like Google and IBM.

Pros

• Self-paced
  • High-quality video
  • Free courses available
  • Free seven-day trial

Cons

• Inflexible enrollment
  • Some courses are pricey

Bottom Line

If you want to learn a subject at your own pace, Coursera offers a wide selection of online courses, certificates and degrees at varying price points.

Coursera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coursera ?

Original review: May 9, 2019

I've submitted a cancellation request more than once and they keep charging my card. I'm submitting a complaint to my credit card company and hope they can help me reverse the charges. The content was ok, just don't need to spend $85 a month - that's how they really make money, just keep draining their customers' accounts.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I was interested in a Coursera course and, for trying it, I gave them my credit card information. They offer you 7 days for free, and if you unsubscribe, they won't charge you for it. In my case, I would have started to pay the 29th April, but I unsubscribed the 27th April, double checking that there wasn't any active subscription left (which there wasn't). But to my surprise, the 29th April they charged me with a month subscription! If I enter my payings and subscriptions page, it says that I have never made a payment and I don't have active subscription (which I know, because I had cancelled it, but now I fear they will still charge me for it the next month).

Now I am trying to ask for a refund, but I doubt I will get it. It's already been hard to find a place where I could send a message to the support team! Considered I can't talk about the course, it seemed interesting but I changed my mind because I wouldn't have time to complete it. However, the customer service seems quite poor and these techniques they also seem to be using with other people seem quite untrustworthy. For those reasons, I wouldn't recommend Coursera to others. And I would suggest anyone not to give them their credit card number.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I was fortunate enough to get a good teacher who valued that each person learned different and gave the one on one communication that was necessary. Throughout the 6 weeks of study the teacher made pre-videos to break down information in powerpoints as well as visually trying to draw out what he meant when it came to new vocabulary and understanding. He was great. Not only did we have access to him in an E-mail but also the other students in the classes for somewhat of an online group study. I think all the classes just depend on the teacher because the one I joined has an agenda and all tests were a review of what we’d done. It just included taking many notes for the questions were made to make you think.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Another person summarized it best: "They charged me for their courses without notice that it needs to indicate free trial ends soon and no refund to be made. This is ridiculous service system and policy that I ever heard about that." I have lost $450 to this site as the transaction fees got sent to the spam folder and they do NOT give you alerts on transaction. Why? Because they're desperate to rob you. You can contact them and prove that you have not used the courses and they'll still charge you based on "no refund" policy. ** Coursera. Did I mention ** Coursera?

Original review: April 16, 2019

I decided to take the Internet of Things Specialization and was willing to pay the $49 per month for the online classes. What I found within the first week of taking the course was the quizzes were not completely based on the material provided. The video lectures, required reading, and optional reading assignments did not provide you with the information to pass the quizzes.

Also, there were no hints or suggestions as to how to or where to find the information. By week 2 the quiz was completely on information that was not provided. I have my degree in electrical engineering and know how to study and find information, but it makes no sense to me why the course materials are not represented by the quizzes. That is how it worked in college - you read a chapter, the professor lectures on the topic, you do homework on the topic, then you take a quiz or test on the information you learned. Not so with this course, you learn one thing but are asked questions on material you have no knowledge about.

Original review: March 23, 2019

They charged me for their courses without notice that it needs to indicate free trial ends soon and no refund to be made. This is ridiculous service system and policy that I ever heard about that. Even I can get refund even I forget to cancel free trials from a demo program or a learning platform. This policy is a scam that it is no refund if free trials ends.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I enrolled in the computer vision course and was very disappointed with Coursera. There were several problems where I mention the 3 main ones. 1) The content of classes very shallow. 2) An almost complete lack of relation between the contents of the classes and the hard tests and finally, 3) No pedagogical support, or communication channel, e-mail, chat, absolutely nothing. Summary of my impression: I felt myself studying alone, reading a vague material, and experiencing tests that could not be solved based on classes. It is a 5-week course and I observed that the students, like me, are giving up after the second week.

Original review: March 12, 2019

Absolutely disappointed about this company. I subscribe for free trial on course and then decided to cancel it. When I tried to do it, website offered me half price sale, which I was agree on and was continuing learning. I paid half price for the course as it was written in my agreement and finish the course with certificate for a week. After 2 months I been charge for the whole price of course. I opened a chat with customer service and asked them for refund because I felt it was unfair. My learner support was someone with name Brady.

He or She answered me with the template that refund is not possible. I sent two more messages trying to figure out the reason and explain the situation that make me really confused, and I didn’t get any response. However, I had a course before when I paid the whole amount and wasn’t charge after, even that I didn’t cancel my subscription. Anyway, I am really dissatisfied and even if I had recommended this website for my friends before, now I don’t want to have any more connections with Coursera. I am sorry for such a bad review, but this is how it is.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I'm delighted to have this course offered on Positive Psychology through Coursera. I found out about it through the Friday Center at UNC. The professor, Barbara Fredrickson, is renowned in this field and she teaches PP at the University of North Carolina, near me. I appreciate the format and set up of the course. The videos are very well done. Barbara has 3 other people with her, all employees of UNC, who take the course and we get to view and hear their interaction. I'm extremely interested in Positive Psychology and you won't find a better professor than Fredrickson. A helpful aspect is that you can save notes, repeat parts of the vids, and you have written text to follow if you like along with the vid.

A big drawback is LACK OF SUPPORT. For being an educational program, this is a huge disadvantage!!! No toll free number. I emailed a question 4 days ago and never got a response. Also, I have no way of contacting other people taking the course right now. Like a chat room situation. For an educational company, I'm really surprised at the lack of support with Coursera. I'm very pleased with Barbara's course here. It's pleasant to watch and learn this way, I just miss having others to interact with.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was given an advance course. When attempting to cancel I was notified courses would remain. They indicated 7 day free trial. I was charged twice 79.00 and 49.00 for less than 15min and that time was going thru process of trying to cancel. I am 75 years old and this was not what I wanted. The initial information was 39.00 after trial period. I was charged over 3 times immediately. What a fraud. I am also writing a letter to the Attorney General of Florida.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I signed up for a Free Trial. I have supposedly cancelled this subscription several times. They have charged me 3 months, despite my repeated attempts to cancel the course. No phone number to call. Rip-off company.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I only wish I had researched this site before I became involved with Coursera. I contacted the company via chat - there are no telephone numbers - to discuss a missing certificate, and instead got the royal run-around. He did not answer my question. He was rude, and, without my permission, enrolled me in another class. Both he and the follow-up caller continued to say I was not enrolled, not had completed 3 classes since November, but when I offered to send him copies of those certificates he gave no response. I cannot find out how to cancel my monthly online paid subscription. Another person notified me by chat and the results were no better. Sometimes money spent on a bogus deal can be the best education. Maybe that should be Coursera's motto.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I got Coursera from Class Central, signed up, took the class, passed, and paid for a certificate. However, I am still trying to print or download my certificate. There is literally no one at Coursera; no email contact and no phone number contact. This site is a scam along with Cass Central. I finally got someone at Class Central, Laurie **, but she was also no help and she admits there is no contact person at Coursera. Class Central is willing to list Coursera on their directory even knowing the struggles people have gone through. Class Central is just as bad as Coursera; both scams. I will not be taking any more classes through this site.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have used Coursera for around three years. I have found some very interesting free courses but have never used the paid version so cannot comment on that. It is good for beginners as there are many courses for them but there are some good advanced ones too.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Do not use this company. They promise a free trial but debit your card even after you have canceled the free trial. DO NOT USE. They pretend that you have canceled after your subscription has been renewed. I have requested a refund but doubt very much that I will receive it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I signed up to do one course, not realizing they keep charging a monthly subscription. I got dinged for over $100. I went in to cancel my subscription, annoyed but willing to eat the cost. Then today they charged me again with no option to get a refund!! I am fuming but unable to find any access to a phone number or email where I can query this. So I've paid $200 over and above the cost for the course!!! I wonder how much money they've made off suckers like me? Never will I use this company again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Got charged for a course that I didn't sign up for and now they refuse to refund me or even transfer the credit to another course. Stay far, far away from Coursera and do NOT give them your credit card info!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

It looks like my problems with Coursera are consistent with other users. These are NOT free classes. The fine print is confusing enough that you'll wind up getting $49/month charged to your card, and they "don't do refunds"... even if the consumer did not realize s/he was buying a product. And if you try to cancel this unwanted subscription? Best of luck getting a hold of anyone at the company who will assist you. Do NOT give them your card number!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I enjoy my current experience with Coursera. At the moment I am taking two courses, both in the Marketing sector (Digital Mkt by University of Illinois and Neuromarketing by Copenhagen Business School). I find the videos interesting and the assignments as well. I learned many interesting things in these couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to check also the other course materials. Also, great customer service on the chat!

In response to Mr. ** of Riyadh's observation, I dare to say that this is not a movies platform, but an OPTIONAL educational platform. I understand and support the idea that each state has to provide a free educational system for its citizens, but when it comes about OPTIONAL programs supported by a global BUSINESS, you must pay. Because yes, Coursera is a BUSINESS, and it needs to generate profit. It's not the same as your state's government which has an obligation towards you, its citizen, but a COMPANY providing good quality study materials at a cost. You have the option of a 7 days free trial in which you can read exactly the materials you're interested in and take a decision.

When it comes about Netflix, you're spending $8*12 months = $96 to watch a limited number of series, documentaries and movies. Nothing bad, because this is exactly how much this entertainment service should charge. It is an opportunity for leisure at a fair price. BUT IT IS NOT AN INVESTMENT! On the other hand, a $79 membership on any trustworthy educational platform (that would be $948 per year), it is an investment. Investment = the action or process of investing money for profit. You're investing money into a program so you can get the knowledge that would generate profit.

Profit means also that you can build a successful business for yourself or you can become a more skillful employee that generates more revenue for the company, and as a result, earns more money. And trust me, once you start earning more, you'll cover the amount you spent in a matter of months! So yes, knowledge requires sacrifices, and sometimes you need to give up your Netflix membership or the beers at the bar. I hope I helped.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I'm not sure why so many people don't like the site. I have been using Coursera more or less since it first started and I have watched as it's matured into one of the best MOOC sites on the Web. There are a variety of topics where one can learn what he or she is interested in, including computer science, cybersecurity, data science, writing, history, math, video game development, and on and on. Best of all: it's free! Yes, if a person wants a credential to put on his or her resume or LinkedIn profile, then he or she can pay a fair monthly fee, but it's not required.

Virtually every class can be audited, so there is no reason to pay unless the student chooses to. I love the site and I will continue loving it. I have an enormous backlog of classes to work through right now and it's only going to get bigger as more and more schools sign up for the platform to give all of us FREE college education right from the comfort of our homes. You can't beat that! So, to those who love learning, do not hesitate. Sign up for Coursera now and prepare to have a lot of fun. I certainly am!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I am pleased with the course I took. I am sorry to hear about the billing issues people had; I did not have those issues. I found that most of the courses are free, but if you want grading and a certificate you have to pay, which is reasonable. If you don't need a certificate you can actually use this as a study tool. My only problem is that I can't seem to print my certificate let along view it. I have the receipt that I paid $49.00 so I should be able to print the certificate, but am unable. The frustrating problem is that there is no phone support or email support. I have tried using the Chat feature, but nothing happens. I will continue to use this company only if I can get help printing my certificate. If I can't print my certificate then I have wasted $49.00 and have been scammed.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

The subscription is extremely expensive!!! I don't think the subscription cost should exceed Netflix subscription (8$)! Producing a set of tutorial is certainly less expensive than what Netflix pays for producing TV shows (Netflix paid around $7 billion for content alone, not counting the salaries of 5.5 thousand employees) and they make me entertained. WHAT THE **!!! 49$!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I want to first point out that I graduated in 2016 from UB with my BSBA. UB is an AACSB accredited business institution and a world renowned R1 research university. My concentration is MIS, so to continue to build on my technical know-how, I decided to enroll in the very first blockchain specialization offered by UB through the Coursera platform. I enrolled in a monthly subscription for $39 in August. On 10/7 I received an email stating that there was "an issue processing your payment." I had already taken tests and started the project so I hurried to update my payment information. I waited and waited but the money never came out and I never regained access. I attempted to just reenroll, simple, right? Well instead of the $39 I signed up for, they wanted $49 to enroll again. I have a billing statement for $39 dated 10/7 and another requesting me to update my payment method and pay $39 by 10/12.

I contacted Coursera twice, the first time on 10/19 after I got tired of waiting to see the changes I made to my payment information be updated. I was told course rates "fluctuate" which is not an answer good enough to pacify me. The final time I contacted them they told me that they "had a system error that prevented my payment from going through" and there is "nothing they could do." But I can "enroll at $49 to regain full access." In other words, they sent me statements to pay $39 on 10/7 and 10/12 but when I contacted them on 10/19 I was told that I have to pay $49 now to get back all of the work I did.

First, a platform hosting as notable names as Coursera has should NOT be creating bad business, I wonder if these institutions know what they are doing (probably not but I am working on that). In any case why should this platform use my alma mater's name yet provide horrible resolution by doing nothing at all. Second, let's not pretend that we aren't using this platform to save money. It seems that the only people not fine with losing money are those who do not have it to spare. That is exploitation, or taking advantage of those who are underprivileged, and I am sure many others would agree. Unfortunately, it is legal but people make it acceptable when they choose to sit silently. I will reach out to Channel 2 to see if they would like to pick up a story on holding people in power accountable...

Resolution response: Oct. 24, 2018

Although this company has no phone support, someone emailed me a week later. The company addressed my problem and issued a refund for the month in question.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I had great expectations for this service, as it was recommended by a college advisor from Stanford as well as from the company I work for. However, after putting in many hours of work, completing all of the quizzes and reading materials, I was unable to pass the course at the end of the 5 weeks due to a flaw in the peer-review grading system.

Any peer can fail your final project without reason and without recourse, as there are no human phone support specialists. If you have failed your final project, you must re-submit. In the meantime, Coursera will bill you for an additional month while you wait for students in the next round of classes to review your assignment. It is definitely possible that no one will review your assignment, and you will be billed every month until you decide it is no longer worth the money to continue gambling that someone will pass your final project. I am sorely disappointed in this service and feel they mislead their customers on the cost of a certificate. The cost is theoretically unbounded, as this cycle could continue forever.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I signed up to take ONE class and they sign you up to make monthly payments without telling you. Even though I was not using the service during this last month I was charged. They do not refund subscriptions. Total scam and worst company I have ever made a purchase from. I would give it zero stars if I could.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

DO NOT give them your Credit/Debit Card #. I've been charged 8 times for a single course. When paying for the course, it errors out a few times. I reopened the browser and the payment. I later discovered that they double charged me with EACH failed AND Successful attempt. I've been charged 8 times for 1 course. That in itself wouldn't have been a big deal, IF I could reach them to fix it. Help Center is just a FAQ. The question that most closely resembles my problem directs you to contact them. Only thing is, the Contact Us link just links back to the FAQ.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I signed up for a Modeling Risk class and did not like it so I followed the direction on how to cancel subscription by going to My Purchases. I did this over a month ago and I still see $79 being charged to my credit card. There are no phone numbers listed to call. There is a chat but it's being operated by a robot. I just want my money back.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

My experience with Coursera is terrible. I was charged $64 each for two courses which I explored as a part of trial. I was charged $128 for two courses on Aug 14. On realising that, I cancelled my further subscription. After 1 week, the courses were removed from my account and there was no purchases history showing up. My subscription was to end on 14th September. When I tried to contact them, finding their email address itself was a long journey. I emailed them explaining the whole issue. Few days later, I got an email from them to rate their customer service which they never provided. People from big companies like Google and reputed universities are partnering with them and they are doing all this to disgrace them as well. I thought Coursera to be very good platform to enhance your skills, but they are just conning people. Wonder how come reputed people are partnering with them!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I thought of signing up one course in April but did not realized that I have been charged monthly through a subscription since. I must have missed something but I do not remember receiving any notification. Because of my job change, I actually did not catch up the first course. The short story is that I paid for 5 months, a total of $250, unknowingly, or ignorantly, without receiving any benefit.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Please be very careful when you pick a particular course from a specialization. I picked the Customer Analytics course and didn't interest the other courses in the specialization, so they continued to charge me after finishing Customer Analytics, and didn't give my money back, so I paid around $240 for only one course which worths only $79. You are not fair Coursera, and your managers should take some courses about business ethics. Two of them can take the ethics course with my money because I paid around $160 for NOTHING!!!

Coursera Company Information