2.60/5

102 Kaplan Test Prep Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Before speaking with Gil this afternoon I was done with Kaplan really upset and discouraged to continue any further. Everyone I talked to was not concerned about what I was personally going through or how my life was a complete mess. Everyone except Gil, one conversation with him and I have new hopes for my medical journey. Not only did Gil solved my problem with the course he took time out of his day to speak and relate to me. His kindness and sympathy is the only reason I would consider Kaplan to be a good company. Please hire more people like Gil, his mindset got him so far in life and he will continue to thrive. Gil if you are reading this, you are my godsend angel. Thank you for everything! :)

Hi Fola,

Thank's for taking the time to leave us a review. First, I want to apologize that all of your interactions with us weren't as great as the one you had with Gil. We care about our students and strive to not only provide excellent test prep but also be there for them through the prep journey as a whole.

Gil is an outstanding person, and we're happy he was able to help and encourage you.

Thank you for choosing Kaplan. If you need anything at all, we've got your back!

Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: July 7, 2019

I needed to change the dates of the online course I was taking for MCAT Test Prep because my schedule became really busy unexpectedly and I was dealing with some personal issues. The representative was really nice and let me change my course date to one of my own choosing for no cost, even though the policy about changing course dates had already passed. Now I know I can use their materials much more efficiently and get the most value out of it in the future! Thanks, Alexander!

Hi, Louis!

We're so happy we were able to help, and that you enjoyed chatting with Alexander. We'll be sure to share your feedback with him!

If there's anything else you need, we're just a chat or a message away.

-Kendra from Kaplan

Get expert buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I called Kaplan to get some assistance with extending my resources - and had the pleasure to speak with Ramsha. Although I was dreading this phone call, she was able to provide me with appropriate information and in the end, support for my testing journey. I was offered a courtesy extension and some very positive affirmation. The ladder was unexpected and truly made the phone call worthwhile and enjoyable. She is a great representative of the company and someone who should be recognized! Thank you Ramsha!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Clayton! We're so happy Ramsha was able to help, and have made sure to pass on the compliment to her and her manager.

Our goal is to make sure our students have the best prep available, and that they have a great experience while with us. If you have any other questions or need anything at all, we're here for you!

We wish you the very best with your studies!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: April 22, 2019

Help downloading/starting multiple programs and software. I was pleased to be able to reconnect to the same rep. three times as we kept getting disconnected. After trying to explain to me (pretty computer illiterate) how to figure out what was wrong and what to do about it, Alex was able to take over control over my screen through Zoom and fix everything very quickly. Then he answered my additional questions and showed where to find everything we had just set up. Not my typical support experience with any company. Very impressed at this point. Way to go Kaplan and THANKS ALEX!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I had difficulty extending my LIFE SAVING Kaplan self-paced course. I had the pleasure of having Camari come to my rescue on Easter Sunday! Camari was quick and efficient and I am beyond grateful for the assistance I received. Camari prevented me from having a panic attack over a resource that I rely on. Camari deserves a raise and phenomenal recognition for all of the hard work they put in for me and anyone else who was lucky to receive their help today on EASTER SUNDAY! HIRE MORE EMPLOYEES LIKE CAMARI!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Gil took my call today and was so kind and helpful. He really listened and made every effort to help. His students are extremely lucky to have him as their course advisor and Kaplan is lucky to have such an asset. Thank you Gil.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi D, thanks for the 5-star review!

Our students are our priority, and it makes us happy that you had such a great experience talking to Gil.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan! :)

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Zahira was amazing. She was so patient with me and helpful. She took her time to update everything I needed. This type of customer service experience is what makes your company look and feel amazing. Again thank you so much for the insight on how to maneuver through the website. Thank you. Francisca **

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Francisca, thanks for taking the time out to leave us a review!

We strive to provide the best test prep available, along with excellent customer service. We're happy you had a great experience when you called in and spoke to Zahira.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan! We're here when you need us. :)

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 31, 2019

Recd the books today to accompany the bar review course I paid 2k for. The bar exam? Also today. Now I have to pay to ship the unused books back so they can use them to scam another student. Great deal for Kaplan - not so great for students. I asked them to pay return shipping. They refused.

Hi Dana,

Thanks for reaching out We understand the inconvenience of this as physical books do come with the course, in conjunction with the digital copies, and should arrive in time for use while prepping. We're very sorry to hear your books got to you so late.

If you can, please send us an email including the email address linked to your account so that we can see what we can do to help. You can reach me directly at NXTSocial@kaplan.com.

Looking forward to your message,

Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: July 24, 2019

The user support helped me out and reset my Qbank in a quick and and effortless way! They were really fast and made it really painless to fix my issue! I will be telling my friends and other students to get Kaplan because of this experience.

Hey, Joseph!

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback. We're happy to hear you had a great experience when you chatted with Alex, and that he was able to help.

I'll be sure to pass your comments along.

If you ever need anything else, we've got your back!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2019

I am completely disappointed with my experience using Kaplan LSAT prep. I purchased the in-person prep class back in December and was assigned to a class taught by a professor that barely spoke English and rushed through every lesson without making sure that all students understood the content. I stuck with it and hoped that I would still be able to learn fast enough for the January test. I was wrong. My score decreased from my diagnostic test. I shared this experience with the Kaplan Customer Service team and I was kindly informed that I could retake the course for free again or get my money back. I chose to take the class once again. After all, my goal was to prep for the LSAT and I was not interested in getting my money back. Looking back, I probably should have chosen the money-back option and I should have taken my $1300+ elsewhere. More about that later.

For my second round of classes, I was assigned a MUCH better instructor who actually cared if the students were keeping up with the content and not just worried about the curriculum. However, I still did not see better improvements in my score. However, I was hopeful that I could self-study for the remainder of the time I had before the test with Kaplan's online resources. You wouldn't believe my surprise when I found out that these vital resources had EXPIRED! And when I inquired with customer service, they informed the extension of the service would set me back $50/wk!!!! I was appalled that Kaplan was this money-hungry. I had already spent $1300+ on their class and already had a terrible experience.. This was the cherry on top. I had never seen any company function this way. Why would you charge me to keep the content I have already paid for?

The online resources are part of the purchase for the class. There is no rule that you must take the course associated with a specific test date, so why must the online resources expire according to the test date? The online resources are the same, I would not be getting any additional content or instruction so why does it cost so much, or anything at all to keep access to it? I have seen through this experience that Kaplan does not care at all about student success but rather is just interested in making as much money as possible without adequately preparing their students for such an important test.

Hi Val,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. We know how valuable the online resources are to our student's prep, and although courses are geared for specific test dates, there are options to help get more time if plans change.

We want to make sure you have a great experience with us and would like a chance to chat with you so we can see how we can help you reach your goals.

I've sent a private message so that we can connect, and look forward to speaking with you.

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs