2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.22/5

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I purchased a GMAT study pack in November 2020, fully intending to take the test in the spring. After further research in December, my school and program of choice doesn’t require a test for 2021 start dates so I didn’t need the study pack anymore. I waited to receive my physical study materials in the mail before submitting a refund request via email in mid December. I didn’t fully understand the email I got back (now I realize what the rep was trying to tell me) so decided to call.

I finally had time to call customer service in December 28 and a very nice representative understood my situation and said she would look into it but it might take a couple days, which was fine. I didn’t receive any more information (understandably, due to the holidays) so called back Jan 8 2021. I spoke to Kianna, who is absolutely a star. She explained what the first email meant, listened to my (long winded) explanation, and looked into refund options since I hadn’t accessed the online materials at all. She was able to provide me with more of a refund than I was hoping for and did so with kindness and humor. I enjoyed chatting with her and am thankful we were connected!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

TLDR: Kaplan is a great company! I highly recommend their services for test prep as they offer great resources and their customer service is outstanding. I would recommend reaching out to their customer service on the phone though as the experience I had through online support vs. phone was night and day. Thanks to Kiarra, my negative first impression of Kaplan's customer service (with a different representative) became extremely positive and I will definitely use Kaplan for my future test prep!

Full story below: My first customer service experience was not great. I reached out through Kaplan's online support because my MCAT study resources had expired and I was under the impression when I purchased the Kaplan online course that it included unlimited access through the end of 2020. Due to technical issues with my online class materials and COVID-19, I never got to use the study package I had purchased and am now taking the MCAT next year. I received a response that said not to worry they would help, but they needed my MCAT date. I explained that the 2021 schedule had not been released but either in January or March.

7 days later I received another reply listing out options for me to purchase expensive extensions. The next day I received the message that my case was being closed because I hadn't responded within 24 hours (after a 7 day wait for a response on their end)! Having already spent $2500 on Kaplan resources I did not get to use, I replied asking for a callback and the only response I received was a survey asking how the customer service was.

Today, I decided to call Kaplan's customer service phone line myself. This turned out to be a great decision. I spoke with Kiarra, a different representative who was remarkably understanding, helpful and kind. She saw that I hadn't used the resources yet and empathized with my predicament given this tumultuous time. She immediately signed me up for a new live class, updated my resources and sent me the new updated books for the 2021 MCAT. I cannot express my gratitude and appreciation enough! I will definitely be using Kaplan for future test prep (as I know I have a lot of exams in front of me) Thank you so much Kiarra for your kindness in helping me prepare for the MCAT!

Get buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I had a very serious situation where I wasn't sure if I would make it to pass my GED. I ordered my book and I submitted my address and no one told me I couldn't use PO Boxes. So I wasted about 2 weeks waiting for my book and it wouldn't arrive. When I had to find out myself, that USPS didn't ship to PO Boxes I got upset because I wanted to study for my GED and I only have a few months before my resources expire. Then I proceeded to get ahold of a Customer Support Agent by the name of Kiarra. She was more than helpful and I would defiantly recommend her and this company. Not only did she help me with shipping issues, she expanded my resources to help me study for my GED. Truly amazing!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

I purchased a Kaplan course and later came to know from other students that their was a discount code the month before. I reached out to kaplan Chat and I was blessed with an amazing representative Ms Anna **. I addressed my situation to her and she went above and beyond and made an exception and helped me get a 20% discount off my course. She activated a code for me that was active in August. I’m really so thankful to her. She also helped me with getting the shipment address to the ones responsible in-order to get my course material before the course start date. Since I didn’t get a tracking number due to a system shipment error. Hopefully I’ll get the material on time and all thanks goes to her. Kaplan should really be proud of her work ethics and her enthusiasm to help students!

Original review: April 22, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to compliment Ms. Alexis ** from KAPLAN Test Prep Customer Service Department. On April 20, 2020, I called customer service related to my purchase issue. Alexis was extremely friendly and professional. She efficiently solved my problem. Her knowledge, professionalism, attention to detail, courteous follow-ups have far surpassed the customer service from other similar companies. I must point out that Alexis is diligent. She develops an excellent customer relationship. Certainly, she is an asset to the KAPLAN Test Prep company. No doubt, I would not hesitate in recommending KAPLAN Test Prep to friends and colleagues who are looking for test review materials. Thank you again, Alexis!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Yinfu! Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We strive to consistently provide excellent customer service to our students and their families. I'm glad that Alexis was able to be so helpful. I'll make sure to share your kind words with her.

Thanks again for your feedback! If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out.

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I became extremely ill in December into January of this year. Unfortunately my illness rendered me unable to study for my test at all in the end of December and my resources expired on 12.31. When I reached out to Kaplan to inquire about extending my course I was put in touch with Kiara. She was was extraordinarily helpful and kind. She was able to answer all of my questions and sympathetic to my recent health issues. She extended my course a courtesy to start and she has made such a difference! She is an amazing asset for Kaplan and a model of customer service excellence.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I registered for classes online. I received an email with a link to complete my registration so I can access the materials. I clicked on the link and received an error message "Something went wrong when finishing your account setup. Please try again later". This continued for 2 days and still no access to the site. Tried sending an email to customer service, in which I was told I would receive a response in 24 hours, and I never did. Tried calling technical support. After being on hold for over 30 minutes, I was hung up on. This happened several times. Poor customer service. When I finally was able to get a person on the phone, the connection was horrible and I could barely hear the person on the other end. I feel like they take your registration money, but make it very difficult to contact someone if you need help.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

My daughter missed a tutoring session over computer technical issue. The tutor told her to just call and they will fix it. Never happened. She spent hours on the phone being stressed out and the rudest customer service. Made my daughter so upset. Affected her mid term as well as her LSAT. They basically are a test bank center. Do not sign up for tutoring. They were not helpful. So many issues and problems.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

My daughter used the 7 day free trial. Three days into it 10/15/2020 I received an email promotion offer of $99 instead of the standard $149 price. On 10/18/2020 at 4pm I followed the link on the email to make the $99 purchase and the only price made available was the original $149. I entered into a chat with "Amelia" and questioned how to receive the $99 price. Amelia said that was a flash sale for one day only 10/15/2020. The email makes no mention at all anywhere of an expiration date or end time to the promotion. I sent a copy of the email to to Amelia "**". She refused to honor the $99 price and told me I was not a suitable Kaplan customer and should buy from a competitor. I WILL PURCHASE FROM A COMPETITOR AND SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I had a very bad experience with Kaplan Test Prep. I was enrolling for 3 month q bank subscription when in-between the process I was charged 21000inr through my debit card. After deduction of fee when I proceeded further It showed my card wasn't processed. If my card wasn't processed why was 21000inr deducted from my bank account by Kaplan. I wrote to kaplan customer care team via email, Facebook and even tried reaching them through the given toll free customer care number. I tried to reach them through chat in the help option on kaptest webpage, but none worked.

In reply to my email they said they'll take up the issue in 48 hours but they did not. I visited my bank about the issue and I was told to contact the kaptest team directly. But they have made it impossible to reach them via any source. I am waiting for refund. But none of the team members contacted me. They are not even reversing back the payment. Very bad experience. Never expected from kaplan.

Kaplan Test Prep author review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team