2.06/5

91 Kaplan Test Prep Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2019

I am preparing for Boards test for NCLEX RN and I am amazed! Kaplan and the whole team THANK YOU!!! I wish I have known about this earlier, I wasted so much time! Anyway, thanks for the channel, videos, instructors! I love you all! You can’t imagine how much confidence you give to students... THANK YOU THANK YOU AND THANK YOU!!!!

We love you too, Lia!<3

Confidence is a HUGE part of this, and we're so happy that's what you felt after our NCLEX course.

We want to make sure you continue to have the support you need leading up to test day. Send us a Private Message if you have any questions or need anything at all. We're here for you!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: May 28, 2019

I called Kaplan to get some assistance with extending my resources - and had the pleasure to speak with Ramsha. Although I was dreading this phone call, she was able to provide me with appropriate information and in the end, support for my testing journey. I was offered a courtesy extension and some very positive affirmation. The ladder was unexpected and truly made the phone call worthwhile and enjoyable. She is a great representative of the company and someone who should be recognized! Thank you Ramsha!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Clayton! We're so happy Ramsha was able to help, and have made sure to pass on the compliment to her and her manager.

Our goal is to make sure our students have the best prep available, and that they have a great experience while with us. If you have any other questions or need anything at all, we're here for you!

We wish you the very best with your studies!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Get expert buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Help downloading/starting multiple programs and software. I was pleased to be able to reconnect to the same rep. three times as we kept getting disconnected. After trying to explain to me (pretty computer illiterate) how to figure out what was wrong and what to do about it, Alex was able to take over control over my screen through Zoom and fix everything very quickly. Then he answered my additional questions and showed where to find everything we had just set up. Not my typical support experience with any company. Very impressed at this point. Way to go Kaplan and THANKS ALEX!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I had difficulty extending my LIFE SAVING Kaplan self-paced course. I had the pleasure of having Camari come to my rescue on Easter Sunday! Camari was quick and efficient and I am beyond grateful for the assistance I received. Camari prevented me from having a panic attack over a resource that I rely on. Camari deserves a raise and phenomenal recognition for all of the hard work they put in for me and anyone else who was lucky to receive their help today on EASTER SUNDAY! HIRE MORE EMPLOYEES LIKE CAMARI!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

My teacher was very professional and willing to answer all my questions thoroughly. I found the book and the online practice tests to be helpful and comprehensive. My SAT score improved by 180 points from the last PSAT I had taken. Highly recommended.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: June 18, 2019

Kaplan absolutely does not care once they have received your money! I paid for the Online Prep Plus Study plan with the understanding I would have access to the advanced quantitative and verbal workbook in addition to their GRE Premier Book. However, they have only sent me the printed version of their course book, which doesn't even have most of the questions I am suppose to be reviewing. In addition, their online books can't be printed out and are very difficult to read on Adobe Editions, mainly because they are too long.

I don't mind having to print them out, but give me the option to do so! I'm not paying more to Kaplan just to get books that I have access to online. When I spoke to a customer service agent about this, I have been given different responses. It is so frustrating! I would not recommend this prep course for anyone studying the GRE or any major test. The product is completely disorganized.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

I purchased a Kaplan GRE test prep book a year ago. The main reason I chose Kaplan Test Prep over other study materials is that they give access to practice tests and practice questions online with the purchase of their study materials. The book indicates there are 6 practice tests including access online + book + videos + mobile. I waited a year to enter my online access code and Kaplan took the book, along with the online material, off of their website. The book I purchased said the code only deactivates when the code has been registered and it expires a year after the date it was registered.

I never registered my book, but customer service told me there was nothing to do but purchase their online study aids which cost $69. This service offers fewer practice questions and no practice tests, it also costs $30 more than I paid for my book brand new. I would recommend everyone steer clear of Kaplan Test prep if the benefits they guarantee with their books can be taken away without offering a replacement service to their customers.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback, Jeff. We're sorry to hear your book is no longer able to be registered.

We update our books and correlating online resources yearly to make sure our students are using the most current materials to prep with. Because of this, books older than 3 years from the last print are no longer sold on our website or available for registration.

We want to make sure you have some updated resources for your prep. Please send us a private message so we can help!

Original review: May 27, 2019

I was having trouble launching into my course online and I received immediate help from the technical support team via chat. Everything turned out fine and my problem was resolved. Every time I had an employee attend me they were very nice.

Kaplan Test Prep response

We're so happy you had a great experience when contacting our Service and Tech teams. We're always here to answer your questions, so feel free to reach out any time!

Thanks for the review, Julia, and best of luck with your prep! ????

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2019

First of all, let's just put it out there that KAPLAN (the LSAT department in my case) does not care much about their customers after they already get their money. I spent around $1200 for the LSAT course, which offers 10 classes (10 days) and online resources. I called them at first to see if they have an option of extending the expiration date for the online resource portal and they said yes. I told them I would call back later to extend if I do need it because I still have more than 3-4 weeks left before the portal expired. I called back 10 days before the portal to see if I could get a free extension before taking the test in July. I ASKED that because I heard from a few students that they could a free extension before the test date. Also, my situation was inconvenient because was moved a week later than it was set and the instructor had an emergency and we have inconsistent instructors for several classes.

My biggest problem with Kaplan is the customer service. The second time I called back to ask if I could get an extension, the representative woman was so undeniably RUDE. She asked me for my email and I gave it to her. She said she did not understand what I said so I had to speak really slower for her, alphabet to alphabet. I understand that because my name is a bit more foreign but I could already sense the impatience and attitude in her tone. I asked her I was just wondering if I could get a free extension or if there's anyway I could get it. I was ready to explain to her why until she cut me off. She told me she could not do anything. She made an assumption that LSAT would want an individual taking a course with Kaplan to test right after the course. The closest test is June and nobody in my class was going to take it. I know that because the instructor asked the class to raise our hand if we're going to take it in June.

I told her I will be taking the July exam even though I did initially plan to take it on September. I do not understand why would she make the assumption or rule and base it on LSAT, not just Kaplan? She also told me I already made a call about making an extension. I called the first time to ONLY see if they offer an extension and not to ask. Instead of listening to my reasons, they already made a judgment. She said I could go and talk to the manager to see if they could do something but they will ask me why. I said to her, "I will tell you why. I would like to ask for a free extension because the class was moved a week later than expected, inconsistent instructors, I'm a student and I already paid enough money for the course and I will take it in July". I also mentioned that I planned on taking the course in April and registered to Kaplan in February but I took the class in May, the one that they moved to a week later.

While saying she could ask, she also argues with me about my reasons on why I want to an extension. She did ask the manager and said that they would give me extra 3-week free only if I pay for a 3-week first. After coming back to me with the news, she also includes that I already know about how much it's going to cost for the extension because I already made a call. I said I made that call to ask if you offer an extension and she shouldn't be using my previous call to make reasoning with me. Is it wrong to call Kaplan and ask questions? Will this happen to other customers? Is it okay to use previous customers statement to win over an argument? I said to her as much as I want the extra free extension, I will not take it.

I asked her name and she gave it to me. She initially for me I have until the next month on the third for the promo that she offered me but I said I will call another customer representative later. She threatens me that I will lose the promo if I talk to another customer service representative. I said that's fine and I did not take it. I wanted to hang up but I had to listen to her about her excuses and said she did try to help me. Instead of listening to a customer, I had to listen to her. I must say I am really disappointed that Kaplan would hire someone so aggressive, rude, playing offensive and does not the basic about communication skills. However, I already did spend my saving, $1200 and thought that it will become helpful for my LSAT.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Sui, thanks for taking the time to reach out to us with your feedback. We're sorry to hear about your experience. Our priority is to make sure our students feel supported, so we're glad you reached out.

I see you're currently in contact with us about this, and a manager will be reaching out soon so that we can work together towards a resolution.

In the meantime, please send us a private message if you have any additional questions. We're here to help!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2019

My daughter signed up for, and paid for, an MCAT review course. A few days before the class it was due to start, it was cancelled. She then moved to another area for the summer so that she could take the same class in that area. The day before that class, it was cancelled also. Judging from the past reviews, I know a Kaplan representative will answer this with, "We're so sorry you had this experience....". Please don't bother. Consider fixing the problem.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi K, thanks for providing us with your feedback. We know cancellations can be inconvenient, so we do our best to help students get back on track if this happens. Unfortunately, in some areas, Live Online classes are more popular, especially later in the testing season.

We want to make sure your daughter is set for success, and gets the prep she needs. Please send us a DM with her name, and the email linked to her account so that we can help.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought the app on a subscription for a year to practice MCQs for USMLE Step 1. Absolutely terrible experience. I paid a fortune for an app that crashes literally every FEW SECONDS. I need my money back. This is horrible that you pay such a fortune for something that cannot even be bothered to work properly. Kaplan does not give you the bang for your buck. In fact it is simply a way of earning millions of dollars for the company.

Hi Maroosh,

Thanks for reaching out about your Step 1 Qbank. We're sorry to hear you've run into some trouble using the App. We want to learn about the errors you experienced in more detail so we can help out.

Please send us a private message so we can chat. We look forward to your response.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I bought 6 practice exams from Transcender which were working fine until Kaplan took over and the trouble started as I have not been able to activate any of the exams I legitimately purchased from Transcender! I escalated this issue to Kaplan and they told me they couldn't reactivate my exams and that I would need to repurchase the same exams I already paid a lot of money for! A real shocker! Very disappointed with Kaplan!

Hi Akinola,

I'm sorry to hear you about your Kaplan Transcender resources expiring. Unfortunately, you have reached Kaplan Test Prep. We help students prep for the ACT, Bar exams, and other academic admissions and licensure tests.

For assistance, please contact Kaplan Transcender here:

We hope this helps.

Best,

-Kendra

Original review: May 8, 2019

Honestly, even as an adult, I feel taken advantage of. Kaplan courses/materials are not cheap by any stretch of the word, but after investing in over 2k in a course and not achieving a great score, I was hoping to log in and utilize the remaining resources that I did not have time to review when I took my exam. As it turns out, if you call by a strict--albeit arbitrary--deadline, they'll extend your resource access for free, but if you don't, they won't. You'll have to pay another thousand dollars just to activate resources that you've already paid for and that would cost nothing for them to extend. After working in customer service oriented fields for over a decade, I'm appalled that this is the case with a group that's recognized as a leader in preparation for these exams, and it's unfortunately ruined any positive experience that I've had with the company.

In regards to the materials, to be fair, they are extremely helpful. However, if you are someone who doesn't have parents or scholarships to provide the funding for your studying, be EXTREMELY cautious of whatever deadlines they have, because your success is not as important to them as your money is. I wish I could be writing a positive review of how great their materials are and how magnificent they've treated me and how they provided a solution to ensure that I received the most value out of my purchase--I have provided them multiple opportunities to do so--but that's just not reality. To my dismay, I'm now recommending them with the highest of reservations and unrivaled disappointment. It truly is a shame that they've sacrificed a great experience and positive word of mouth of their paying customers...for a grand.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Samantha, thanks for leaving us a review.

We're sorry to hear about your experience and that you weren't able to use the one-time free extension. Your success is important to us and I'd like to learn more about your situation, and get a chance to connect with you. Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account, so I can look into this for you and see how we can help.

I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was a CompTIA A+ teacher and used Transcender practice tests for 2 classes. They were great. Once Kaplan took them over the trouble began. The website is very difficult to manage. In order to sign up a student I had to first create their account and then for each one enter a 27 digit unique code. It is also not very easy to see the students progress. The teacher management was not well thought out. That was not the worst part. Last summer I purchased about 50 licenses for this years A+ class. One class was taking the 902 so they were set up ok. But the new test, the 1001 was delayed until just recently.

Today I went in to set up the students on 1001 practice and I am getting invalid code. OK so I called support. THREE times was put on hold to nowhere. I actually retired in January and I am trying to get new teacher setup with the class. He is on a 40 minute schedule and would never be able to deal with this type of support. I never got through. I did send an email so I am now waiting for response. My advice is to get practice software from another company. Unfortunately Kaplan has ruined Transcender.

Hi Diane,

Thank you for reaching out to Kaplan Test Prep. We're very sorry to hear about your experience.

It looks like you meant to reach Kaplan IT Training, so I want to make sure I guide you in the right direction to get assistance.

The Kaplan IT Training team will be eagerly awaiting your contact so they can help.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Let me start by saying that by now I have paid Kaplan over $2000 for test prep course. I originally enrolled in DAT course but was unable to ever to do the course. After putting my account on hold after finding out I was expecting a baby. My life circumstances changed as I’m sure anyone with a new baby could understand but I was still eager to get back to my studies and called to switch my course to a LSAT course.

Somewhere in all the back and forth calling back explaining my entire life situation after first being told no, then being told yes, I paid the extra $300 and got my confirmation email. But the confirmation email said I was enrolled in a MCAT course instead. So I thought, "Oh wow. No big deal - just a minor mistake. Let me call to let them know".

After calling several times and explaining my unfortunate situation I was told “there’s nothing I can do, my hands are tied!”. Yes, this is exactly what I was told! This is totally unacceptable!! I’m not asking for a refund, I’m simply asking to correct a mistake, I called back immediately upon seeing this mistake and I’m basically told, "Oh well. Deal with it".

When asked to speak to a supervisor I told I have to wait 24 business hours for them to call ME! In a business that deals with strict times and deadlines this is a very slow process that makes no sense. So here I am, a new mother to a newborn baby, ready to get my studies back on track and I’m met with so much incompetence on behalf of Kaplan test prep! Do not waste your time or money with this company! They will treat you horribly after they take your money! They made a mistake and now refuse to correct it! I’m only asking to get what I paid for! This is completely useless! And no one on their team has the decency to help!

Hi Dominique,

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us with your feedback. We care about your student experience with us and want to do all we can to help.

It looks like we're already in contact with you about this and are working together towards a resolution. If you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

We're here for you.

-Kendra

Original review: March 26, 2019

Please, I am begging you not to use this company. Study on your own or find another company but do not take on the financial burden of going into debt for such a horrible company!!! I have spent over $5000 with Kaplan and it is my biggest regret. I originally purchased the in-person MCAT study sessions last year. This was after much deliberation and trying to find out what would work best for me. I did this while consulting with a Kaplan Representative, Scott, who assured me that I would be successful with the course. This course cost roughly $2500. Throughout the course, I was not successful and reached out numerous times regarding my instructor's teaching style.

At the end of the course I still did not feel prepared to take the MCAT and reached out to Scott again to see what would he feel like would be best. He urged me to look into in-person tutoring. After speaking with my grandparents as well as Scott, we decided to purchase the In-person tutoring package for another $2500. At this point, my grandparents and I are apprehensive about this commitment as $5000 investment is huge. However, Scott assured me that he has seen great improvement with an in-person tutor.

I then took the MCAT and did not do well. I actually did worse than any of my practice exams. Again, I reached out to Scott explaining my frustration as well as disappointment in myself. I asked him what could he do pricing wise for another tutor. This time he said that an online tutor would be best and that he has seen great success from this. At this time I had to tell Scott that I felt like he was a cars salesmen just continuing to upsell me each and every time. I explained that to Scott and he took great offense to it, which I did not understand as Another $2500 investment is just absurd. He stated that he would see what he could do about lowering the tutoring cost and returned my call offering roughly $80 or so an hour for a tutor.

When I tried to reach out to Scott again regarding this pricing, he would not call me back. I then emailed him, three times, and received no answer. I then reached out to Kaplan to try and understand how someone that I have now spent $5000 can stop replying to me? They said they would follow up with Scott and reach back out to me. They never did. I never got a callback or any information regarding the case. I then called again, and spoke to someone who stated that I should receive a phone call from upper management regarding my complaint. I never did receive a call, just an email, that my concerns had been forwarded to the appropriate department. Again, for spending $5000 for this type of surface was absurd.

I wasn't done yet. I couldn't believe after spending this type of money and literally crying with Scott over the phone about my anxiety and frustration that they wouldn't even have the basic decency to call back. I then found another Kaplan representative who was willing to help me. I explained to him the situation with Scott and he stated that there is no way that Scott could have offered me such a low price per hour for tutoring and wasn't sure why Scott said that. Well I couldn't even get a hold of Scott so it was just my word against his. At this point I can't even believe this company is still selling anything, I was done. Scott wasn't calling me back, my complaints were not even followed up on, Scott offered me a price that was not even valid, what a scam.

So I called, I think I called every day until I could get a manager. I was asking for some sort of refund for the $5000 I had spent. I was going to have to go pay for another tutor and I did NOT have another $2500 just waiting to be spent on tutoring. I finally got a hold of someone who told me that they were absolutely unable to refund me anything even though I had not used any of the guarantees that they offered. All she said she could do would be to let me take the online course. WHY WOULD I WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER COURSE WITH A COMPANY THAT IS CLEARLY NOT WORKING FOR ME!? Nor can't even call me back?!

I am appalled that a company like this can even stay afloat. How does a human being like Scott go to bed at night after I reached out to him at some of my lowest points regarding the test and looking for answers and he just stop responding when I was looking for another option to better my score. DO NOT STUDY WITH KAPLAN. DO NOT.

Hi Madison,

First, I would like to apologize. We care deeply about our students and their success on test day, and I'm sorry this wasn't reflected in your experience with us.

I'll be reaching out to you so we can talk and make sure we do all we can to help.

I look forward to speaking with you.

-Kendra

Original review: March 25, 2019

I signed up for self paced, online only course for MCAT. Shortly after signing up my circumstances changed and did not use the course materials. One month after signing up I called customer service and explained that my circumstances changed and I didn't use any materials and they verified from my online activity that I did not. I didn't not ask for refund. All I requested was to hold my account for at least a couple of months and allow me to use the services I paid for at a time that I can better focus. However they did not offer any resolution option.

About 2 months later I called customer service again to try my chance again, as I had not used the services except for watching 2 videos (3 minutes each) explaining how the course program works and included no content. The customer service representative said that since I watched those 2 videos they can not offer any remedy initially. Later in the conversation I learned that Kaplan could have put my account on hold and allow me to use the service at a later time however when I called the first time but they did not inform me about it and 3 months already passed.

It is especially upsetting that basically this prep course is purely online and based on watching pre-recorded videos. It was not going to cause any inconvenience or cost to Kaplan to accommodate me and allow me to put my account on hold until I will be able to properly focus on the coursework and utilize the service I paid for. From my point of view customer service was very determined to do nothing to help after taking my money.

Hi Soner,

We appreciate you taking the time to review us. First, I'd like to apologize for any negative experience. We strive to provide the best test prep available while also making sure our students are happy.

You and your feedback are very important to us, and we'd like the chance to connect to see how we can help. Send us a Private Message including your email address so we can take a look at your account and reach a resolution together.

We look forward to hearing from you.

-Kendra

Original review: March 14, 2019

I just bought the practice test for Microsoft 70-762. It was $89, that's way too much money for what you get. There are only 53 questions available; just 53, that's it, and they're not formatted how the real exam questions would be formatted. It's disappointing. They still have value because the explanations are good, but I honestly feel like I've been ripped off. I'm going to have to go buy a practice test from MeasureUp as well (they have actual former test questions and you get 153 questions to use as opposed to 53). The questions there are also formatted how questions on the actual Microsoft exams are formatted. Some questions have multiple parts, which none of the questions on the Kaplan exam have. This practice test should have been around $40. "Exam-like" isn't good enough for something as expensive and potentially serious as a technology certification exam.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for reaching out to Kaplan Test Prep.

We're sorry to hear your feedback. It looks like you were trying to reach Kaplan IT, formally Transcender. If you would like to connect with them, click the link below to be redirected to their "Contact Us" page.

All the best,

-Kendra from Kaplan Test Prep

Original review: March 13, 2019

I loved that the AAMC material was fully provided, and that Kaplan prep depicted the materials on real tests. However, there was almost 10 days in my spring bring for studying that I couldn't access online questions (most important thing). They gave me an in depth behavioral science course review in return. The problem is because of that delay I had to delay my course and there is no other date than May 28th for the exam. My course ends April 14th. I would have to pay lots of money to delay the exam and to delay the course which I don't really have. Therefore, lost most of the value of what I paid. So bad customer service really and fees that shouldn't be there, If I paid a certain amount of money that is big. Then why should you charge me tons also to delay the course only 1 month.

Hi there,

Thanks for providing us with your feedback.

We apologize for the Qbank trouble and the inconvenience this caused you. Though you enjoyed the other resources in your course, we'd like to see if there is anything else we can do to help.

Our goal is your success on test day.

Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account.

We look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: March 7, 2019

The LSAT content is horrendous. It’s a bunch of trademarked names and catch phrases with zero content. Paid $1400 for in person classes. As soon as the first class ended, I knew I made a mistake. You spend 4 hours in class per session and you’re lucky if you do 8 actual LSAT questions a class. Seems really tailored for low scorers to become mediocre scorers at best. The refund policy stinks. 7 days. By the time you know the class is bad, you’re well outside the policy coverage.

The frustrating thing is, I think I have a great teacher who knows a lot but you can’t (not for lack of trying) get him off the bad, in-house material long enough to really get good instruction. I had to sign up for another class with different company. I’m in Cleveland and if Kaplan is the only option in your city like it was mine...drive to a different city for a real class. I’m driving back and forth from Cleveland to DC for a class with Strategy Prep. It’s worlds better and it was immediately noticeable.

Hi Josh,

Although I'm sad to hear your experience, we appreciate your feedback.

One of our priorities is to provide our students with the best test prep available. Though the main focuses are strategy and high yield content, among a few other things, we do have resources like the LSAT Channel explicitly designed to cover all things content.

We care about your success on test day and want to ensure a better experience with us. Please send us a private message so we can help.

-Kendra

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had purchased the G-Mat Test Prep with in-person classes. I understand the refund policy is nothing after 8 days. But there needs to be an exception for circumstances. I have never used any of the resources. The books are still in the wrapping, I did not use the online resources at all. And my classes are scheduled for March, which I am asking for a refund prior to that. I noticed in 2016 you were still able to get a refund before class started, but now the policy has changed. It does not make much sense since we mainly paid for the classes. I should at least be able to get a partial refund from not attending class.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Aaron, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you wish to drop your course with us.

The refund policy states you have 7 days from the purchase date to get a refund. We always do our best to accommodate our students, and any policy changes we make are made with our students' best interest in mind.

Please send us a private message including your email address, as I would be happy to take a look at your account for available options.

I look forward to your reply.

-Kendra

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I paid over CAD 3,000 for their MCAT online prep course with a promise to be allowed to retake the course to improve my score. However, after they allowed me to repeat it they took away MOST of the MCAT prep material on the website (I do give them credit for a smooth phone call to get access to the course prep again). First, they removed the short topic-based videos, which were my go-to resources. I had a LONG phone call with their agent, who kept putting me on hold to speak to different departments, she did not restore any of the resources and said I should wait until March since I'm taking MCAT in August (I'm thinking July even).

Now that I started using their Question Bank, they removed that resource too!!! All that is left is their channel, which I don't currently use (topics are somewhat not high-yield). I am beyond frustrated that I paid that much money and yet I am losing prep time because of relying Kaplan! I believe there is no point in calling them because they likely won't care now that I already paid them all that money.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Maryam, thanks for taking the time to reach out with your feedback. We're very sorry to hear you encountered some issues with your Higher Score Guarantee Free repeat. We care about all of our students and want to make sure we help you access the tools you need to succeed on test day. I see we're already assisting you with this, and look forward to resolving this for you. Please reach out if you have any other questions.

We've got your back.

-Kendra

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had purchased an online course for $400+ with a recurring $200 monthly subscription fee. There was also fee for shipping on printed companion materials. After a month, due to some glitch, my subscription was not renewed. When I was finally able to get my account back up and running after losing two and a half weeks of prep time, I let them know that I still had not received my companion materials, which they promised to rush ship. Two weeks later, still no materials. I contacted them again, as my test date was rapidly approaching, and they finally sent the materials which arrived about four days prior to the test.

After my insistence, given that my original purchase price included the shipping, that I should be eligible for some form of refund, they offered just slightly more than the shipping cost, despite all of the lost and incomplete study time. Now, two weeks after I took the test, there is another set of study materials being sent to my door. While the online course content might be valuable, the organization and administration more than outweigh any benefit offered by the curriculum.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience with us. We care about all of our students, their success, and their satisfaction. I'd like the chance to connect with you so I can learn more about your experience. Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account, so we can see how I can help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

If you have ever taken or are studying for the LSAT do not waste your time here. I will say you receive quite a bit of informative tips and trick but do so over 5-6 different teaching styles (instructors) which can lead to confusion and under such frustrations of LSAT study can so the complete opposite of what the program was intended to do. For $699, this can lead to all types of frustration and an end result of being nowhere fast.

The Money Back Guarantee is a way to suck you in, the small print is, "You have to complete all of the required hours of training, finish all components/testing within the program and acquire an undesirable score on the LSAT, at which point you supposedly have the option to get your money back but is more so a sell to extend." I was fortunate to use a LSAC recommended course, but to say I damn near gambled $190 for LSAT testing, $699 to Kaplan and almost a cycle wasted, stay away from this program because you can find much better elsewhere!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi R, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry for any confusion on our Guarantee Policy and would like to help clarify.

Because what we are guaranteeing is that our product will help, we require that the course and resources are used for the guarantee to apply. Learn more here: https://www.kaptest.com/hsg

Have you taken a course with us before? I'd love the chance to connect with you and address any of your questions. Send us a PM on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter so we can chat.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I signed up for a review course for in-person for the bar exam because that’s how I focus best. When we got there it was on a screen of someone doing them. So I paid extra for something I could’ve gotten cheaper for the same thing. Then, there is a money back guarantee if you don’t pass. Well I didn’t pass and I emailed to get my money back and it was “too late.” They don’t tell you that you have to request it like as soon as you get your scores back. The lectures did not help or add any value - as I got a higher score studying on my own & it was a big waste of time and money. I do not recommend these courses.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi J, thanks for taking the time to reach out with your feedback. We're sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience with us. We care about our students, their success, and satisfaction. Because of this, I'd like the chance to connect with you and learn more about your experience. Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account, so we can see how we can help.

We look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Several months ago I enrolled in the MCAT in-person prep course, but two weeks before the class, they cancelled it. They put me in the online version, and offered nothing for the inconvenience, except for a free course review. (It is not something I needed/was interested in.) I asked to speak to someone else who could help me more, and was informed they would return my call within 24 hours. I did not hear back from them. I called them after six days had passed and was offered a $145 refund (of $2369 I paid) for the inconvenience. I felt insulted by the offer and once again asked for someone else who could help me.

Fortunately, they actually called me back this time and offered me a maximum of a $250 refund. It was an incredibly disappointing example of customer service, when I had spent $2369 on the class. I know that if I paid that large of a sum of money for any product, I would expect to receive it, or receive a notable discount on the product substituted. I received neither the class I paid for, nor a reasonable discount on the substituted product. I would not recommend that anyone uses this company due to how little they care about their customer. Do not expect to feel like a valuable customer to this company.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Jacob, we appreciate your feedback. Our priority is not only to ensure our students get the best prep available but that they also have a great all around experience with us. We're sorry to hear you didn't feel that way.

Class cancelations can happen, and we do all we can to get our students back on track or offer a drop and refund. I want to connect with you to learn more about your experience, and how I can help. Please send us a private message so we can chat. We're here for you.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

1) Avoid Kaplan if you’re a student who requires accommodations of any kind. The “accommodations team” is unresponsive to email and phone requests for accommodations. I submitted complete documentation and made requests for accommodations on November 28th. This submission was made early and during Kaplan’s “slow season”, but they were still incompetent. It’s currently January 28th (2 months later) and I am still awaiting basic textbook PDFs, practice test PDFs, question bank PDFs, and PowerPoint PDFs for the limited videos. The only content that I was given included incomplete textbook PDFs, with a watermark placed over the text, which rendered the PDF tool useless for use with text-to-speech (the purpose of having a PDF). The Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations to be provided in “reasonable time”, which they define as 37 days. Kaplan is at 60 days.

2) Avoid Kaplan if you’re seeking video lectures for a complete content review. They advertise this deceptively. The course advertises “a complete MCAT course available recorded 24/7.” This is absolutely false. The first two sections, of biochem and behavioral sciences, are complete recorded reviews with video coverage of each chapter in the book. After that, the other 4 subjects only have recorded course content for much less than 20% of the content.

I paid thousands of dollars for this course, but I am switching to the free resource recommended by the AAMC test writers - KHAN ACADEMY. Khan Academy actually has video lectures for 100% of the material, and capable customer service teams. If Kaplan didn’t waste 2 months of my test prep time, I’d have time to immediately file a lawsuit against them for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) violations. But, I will wait until after test day. I’ll check back to see if anyone wants to take these two issues class action. #moneyback #damagestoo.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi K, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I see you're already in communication with our team about this, and we're working together on a resolution. In the meantime, If you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do, please email us.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

As a junior who is taking the LSAT this March, I was thrilled to be able to take an in-person course that is on my campus and that fits my schedule. I received an email (exactly a week before the course was supposed to start) saying that the class has been canceled and that they would "try to find another solution that works best for me". As a busy college student with a job and heavy course load, my schedule is very limited. I signed up for my spring courses along with the LSAT prep course MONTHS ago. There are no other classes offered within 30 miles of me before my test date and it costs an extra $125 just to change your LSAT test date!

Of course they say they can offer an online course, but I would have signed up for one if I wanted to in the first place. I should have read the other reviews because paying a ridiculous amount of money (hello broke college student with loans here) for a canceled class and ultimately not even an in-person course is absolutely unacceptable. I have also heard that this is not the first time that they have canceled a prep course at my university site and I firmly believe they should not be offering them here if they are just going to get canceled every single time. The "we rarely cancel prep courses" excuse is BS. Do better Kaplan.

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I totally understand your frustration and want help. Courses are subject to cancellation due to low enrollment for that specific class. In the event this happens, we always do our best to help our students find another course that works with them. I would love to connect with you and talk a bit more, so I can see how I may help. Send us a private message on Facebook so we can assist. I look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My older daughter took the unlimited test prep 3 years ago. She did extremely well on her SAT and ACT tests. So I signed up my younger daughter. Please listen to these reviews... I never had a problem in the past with Kaplan but this is crazy. They offered another class miles away from my home in another state. I believe in person class is more beneficial than online but, I already paid $1500 to Kaplan. Can’t even afford to go to another test prep center.

Hi G,

Thanks for providing us with your feedback. Here at Kaplan, we are and always have been committed to helping all of our students succeed on test day. We're thrilled we were able to help your eldest daughter, but we want your youngest one to have the same experience.

I'd love the chance to connect with you so I can learn how we can help make that happen. Please send us a private message on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter so we can talk. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Chantelle at Kaplan left a message for me two days after Christmas saying that my son's ACT test prep class was cancelled. The in-person class was scheduled to start January 5 (for the Feb 9 test.) Calling her back took forever. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, I was told Chantelle wasn't available, they had no other in-person classes available (in all of NYC?) - and the best they could do was switch my son over to an online course. (If I had wanted an online course, I would have signed up for one initially! My son has enough screen time. He doesn't need screen-time test prep!)

The customer service rep tried REALLY hard to steer me to the online class. In fact, he said HE was one of the online tutors! (Really? That's what Kaplan does? They use their "high-achieving, highly-trained" tutors to answer the phones? And push sales?) Kaplan used to be a respected name, but no more. There's a trend here of really dissatisfied customers. Their brand is faltering. They hook you with an in-person class, then cancel without giving you enough time to make alternate arrangements. Shame on them.

Hi Mary,

We're very sorry to hear about your son's canceled course. Course cancellations are rare, and we want to assure you that this is not representative of the Kaplan experience. Our priority is to help our students succeed on test day, and we would love to connect with you to see how we can make that happen.

Please send us a private message with your son's name and email, so that we may locate the enrolment and further assist.

I really look forward to connecting with you, Mary.

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs