1.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

76 Kaplan Test Prep Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 25, 2019

I signed up for self paced, online only course for MCAT. Shortly after signing up my circumstances changed and did not use the course materials. One month after signing up I called customer service and explained that my circumstances changed and I didn't use any materials and they verified from my online activity that I did not. I didn't not ask for refund. All I requested was to hold my account for at least a couple of months and allow me to use the services I paid for at a time that I can better focus. However they did not offer any resolution option.

About 2 months later I called customer service again to try my chance again, as I had not used the services except for watching 2 videos (3 minutes each) explaining how the course program works and included no content. The customer service representative said that since I watched those 2 videos they can not offer any remedy initially. Later in the conversation I learned that Kaplan could have put my account on hold and allow me to use the service at a later time however when I called the first time but they did not inform me about it and 3 months already passed.

It is especially upsetting that basically this prep course is purely online and based on watching pre-recorded videos. It was not going to cause any inconvenience or cost to Kaplan to accommodate me and allow me to put my account on hold until I will be able to properly focus on the coursework and utilize the service I paid for. From my point of view customer service was very determined to do nothing to help after taking my money.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 14, 2019

I just bought the practice test for Microsoft 70-762. It was $89, that's way too much money for what you get. There are only 53 questions available; just 53, that's it, and they're not formatted how the real exam questions would be formatted. It's disappointing. They still have value because the explanations are good, but I honestly feel like I've been ripped off. I'm going to have to go buy a practice test from MeasureUp as well (they have actual former test questions and you get 153 questions to use as opposed to 53). The questions there are also formatted how questions on the actual Microsoft exams are formatted. Some questions have multiple parts, which none of the questions on the Kaplan exam have. This practice test should have been around $40. "Exam-like" isn't good enough for something as expensive and potentially serious as a technology certification exam.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for reaching out to Kaplan Test Prep.

We're sorry to hear your feedback. It looks like you were trying to reach Kaplan IT, formally Transcender. If you would like to connect with them, click the link below to be redirected to their "Contact Us" page.

All the best,

-Kendra from Kaplan Test Prep

Get expert buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

I loved that the AAMC material was fully provided, and that Kaplan prep depicted the materials on real tests. However, there was almost 10 days in my spring bring for studying that I couldn't access online questions (most important thing). They gave me an in depth behavioral science course review in return. The problem is because of that delay I had to delay my course and there is no other date than May 28th for the exam. My course ends April 14th. I would have to pay lots of money to delay the exam and to delay the course which I don't really have. Therefore, lost most of the value of what I paid. So bad customer service really and fees that shouldn't be there, If I paid a certain amount of money that is big. Then why should you charge me tons also to delay the course only 1 month.

Hi there,

Thanks for providing us with your feedback.

We apologize for the Qbank trouble and the inconvenience this caused you. Though you enjoyed the other resources in your course, we'd like to see if there is anything else we can do to help.

Our goal is your success on test day.

Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account.

We look forward to hearing back.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 7, 2019

The LSAT content is horrendous. It’s a bunch of trademarked names and catch phrases with zero content. Paid $1400 for in person classes. As soon as the first class ended, I knew I made a mistake. You spend 4 hours in class per session and you’re lucky if you do 8 actual LSAT questions a class. Seems really tailored for low scorers to become mediocre scorers at best. The refund policy stinks. 7 days. By the time you know the class is bad, you’re well outside the policy coverage.

The frustrating thing is, I think I have a great teacher who knows a lot but you can’t (not for lack of trying) get him off the bad, in-house material long enough to really get good instruction. I had to sign up for another class with different company. I’m in Cleveland and if Kaplan is the only option in your city like it was mine...drive to a different city for a real class. I’m driving back and forth from Cleveland to DC for a class with Strategy Prep. It’s worlds better and it was immediately noticeable.

Hi Josh,

Although I'm sad to hear your experience, we appreciate your feedback.

One of our priorities is to provide our students with the best test prep available. Though the main focuses are strategy and high yield content, among a few other things, we do have resources like the LSAT Channel explicitly designed to cover all things content.

We care about your success on test day and want to ensure a better experience with us. Please send us a private message so we can help.

-Kendra

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I had purchased the G-Mat Test Prep with in-person classes. I understand the refund policy is nothing after 8 days. But there needs to be an exception for circumstances. I have never used any of the resources. The books are still in the wrapping, I did not use the online resources at all. And my classes are scheduled for March, which I am asking for a refund prior to that. I noticed in 2016 you were still able to get a refund before class started, but now the policy has changed. It does not make much sense since we mainly paid for the classes. I should at least be able to get a partial refund from not attending class.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Aaron, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you wish to drop your course with us.

The refund policy states you have 7 days from the purchase date to get a refund. We always do our best to accommodate our students, and any policy changes we make are made with our students' best interest in mind.

Please send us a private message including your email address, as I would be happy to take a look at your account for available options.

I look forward to your reply.

-Kendra

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I paid over CAD 3,000 for their MCAT online prep course with a promise to be allowed to retake the course to improve my score. However, after they allowed me to repeat it they took away MOST of the MCAT prep material on the website (I do give them credit for a smooth phone call to get access to the course prep again). First, they removed the short topic-based videos, which were my go-to resources. I had a LONG phone call with their agent, who kept putting me on hold to speak to different departments, she did not restore any of the resources and said I should wait until March since I'm taking MCAT in August (I'm thinking July even).

Now that I started using their Question Bank, they removed that resource too!!! All that is left is their channel, which I don't currently use (topics are somewhat not high-yield). I am beyond frustrated that I paid that much money and yet I am losing prep time because of relying Kaplan! I believe there is no point in calling them because they likely won't care now that I already paid them all that money.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Maryam, thanks for taking the time to reach out with your feedback. We're very sorry to hear you encountered some issues with your Higher Score Guarantee Free repeat. We care about all of our students and want to make sure we help you access the tools you need to succeed on test day. I see we're already assisting you with this, and look forward to resolving this for you. Please reach out if you have any other questions.

We've got your back.

-Kendra

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had purchased an online course for $400+ with a recurring $200 monthly subscription fee. There was also fee for shipping on printed companion materials. After a month, due to some glitch, my subscription was not renewed. When I was finally able to get my account back up and running after losing two and a half weeks of prep time, I let them know that I still had not received my companion materials, which they promised to rush ship. Two weeks later, still no materials. I contacted them again, as my test date was rapidly approaching, and they finally sent the materials which arrived about four days prior to the test.

After my insistence, given that my original purchase price included the shipping, that I should be eligible for some form of refund, they offered just slightly more than the shipping cost, despite all of the lost and incomplete study time. Now, two weeks after I took the test, there is another set of study materials being sent to my door. While the online course content might be valuable, the organization and administration more than outweigh any benefit offered by the curriculum.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Jon, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you didn't have the best experience with us. We care about all of our students, their success, and their satisfaction. I'd like the chance to connect with you so I can learn more about your experience. Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account, so we can see how I can help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

If you have ever taken or are studying for the LSAT do not waste your time here. I will say you receive quite a bit of informative tips and trick but do so over 5-6 different teaching styles (instructors) which can lead to confusion and under such frustrations of LSAT study can so the complete opposite of what the program was intended to do. For $699, this can lead to all types of frustration and an end result of being nowhere fast.

The Money Back Guarantee is a way to suck you in, the small print is, "You have to complete all of the required hours of training, finish all components/testing within the program and acquire an undesirable score on the LSAT, at which point you supposedly have the option to get your money back but is more so a sell to extend." I was fortunate to use a LSAC recommended course, but to say I damn near gambled $190 for LSAT testing, $699 to Kaplan and almost a cycle wasted, stay away from this program because you can find much better elsewhere!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi R, thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry for any confusion on our Guarantee Policy and would like to help clarify.

Because what we are guaranteeing is that our product will help, we require that the course and resources are used for the guarantee to apply. Learn more here: https://www.kaptest.com/hsg

Have you taken a course with us before? I'd love the chance to connect with you and address any of your questions. Send us a PM on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter so we can chat.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I signed up for a review course for in-person for the bar exam because that’s how I focus best. When we got there it was on a screen of someone doing them. So I paid extra for something I could’ve gotten cheaper for the same thing. Then, there is a money back guarantee if you don’t pass. Well I didn’t pass and I emailed to get my money back and it was “too late.” They don’t tell you that you have to request it like as soon as you get your scores back. The lectures did not help or add any value - as I got a higher score studying on my own & it was a big waste of time and money. I do not recommend these courses.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi J, thanks for taking the time to reach out with your feedback. We're sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience with us. We care about our students, their success, and satisfaction. Because of this, I'd like the chance to connect with you and learn more about your experience. Please send us a private message including the email address linked to your account, so we can see how we can help.

We look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Several months ago I enrolled in the MCAT in-person prep course, but two weeks before the class, they cancelled it. They put me in the online version, and offered nothing for the inconvenience, except for a free course review. (It is not something I needed/was interested in.) I asked to speak to someone else who could help me more, and was informed they would return my call within 24 hours. I did not hear back from them. I called them after six days had passed and was offered a $145 refund (of $2369 I paid) for the inconvenience. I felt insulted by the offer and once again asked for someone else who could help me.

Fortunately, they actually called me back this time and offered me a maximum of a $250 refund. It was an incredibly disappointing example of customer service, when I had spent $2369 on the class. I know that if I paid that large of a sum of money for any product, I would expect to receive it, or receive a notable discount on the product substituted. I received neither the class I paid for, nor a reasonable discount on the substituted product. I would not recommend that anyone uses this company due to how little they care about their customer. Do not expect to feel like a valuable customer to this company.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Jacob, we appreciate your feedback. Our priority is not only to ensure our students get the best prep available but that they also have a great all around experience with us. We're sorry to hear you didn't feel that way.

Class cancelations can happen, and we do all we can to get our students back on track or offer a drop and refund. I want to connect with you to learn more about your experience, and how I can help. Please send us a private message so we can chat. We're here for you.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

1) Avoid Kaplan if you’re a student who requires accommodations of any kind. The “accommodations team” is unresponsive to email and phone requests for accommodations. I submitted complete documentation and made requests for accommodations on November 28th. This submission was made early and during Kaplan’s “slow season”, but they were still incompetent. It’s currently January 28th (2 months later) and I am still awaiting basic textbook PDFs, practice test PDFs, question bank PDFs, and PowerPoint PDFs for the limited videos. The only content that I was given included incomplete textbook PDFs, with a watermark placed over the text, which rendered the PDF tool useless for use with text-to-speech (the purpose of having a PDF). The Americans with Disabilities Act requires accommodations to be provided in “reasonable time”, which they define as 37 days. Kaplan is at 60 days.

2) Avoid Kaplan if you’re seeking video lectures for a complete content review. They advertise this deceptively. The course advertises “a complete MCAT course available recorded 24/7.” This is absolutely false. The first two sections, of biochem and behavioral sciences, are complete recorded reviews with video coverage of each chapter in the book. After that, the other 4 subjects only have recorded course content for much less than 20% of the content.

I paid thousands of dollars for this course, but I am switching to the free resource recommended by the AAMC test writers - KHAN ACADEMY. Khan Academy actually has video lectures for 100% of the material, and capable customer service teams. If Kaplan didn’t waste 2 months of my test prep time, I’d have time to immediately file a lawsuit against them for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) violations. But, I will wait until after test day. I’ll check back to see if anyone wants to take these two issues class action. #moneyback #damagestoo.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi K, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. I see you're already in communication with our team about this, and we're working together on a resolution. In the meantime, If you have any questions or if there is anything else we can do, please email us.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

As a junior who is taking the LSAT this March, I was thrilled to be able to take an in-person course that is on my campus and that fits my schedule. I received an email (exactly a week before the course was supposed to start) saying that the class has been canceled and that they would "try to find another solution that works best for me". As a busy college student with a job and heavy course load, my schedule is very limited. I signed up for my spring courses along with the LSAT prep course MONTHS ago. There are no other classes offered within 30 miles of me before my test date and it costs an extra $125 just to change your LSAT test date!

Of course they say they can offer an online course, but I would have signed up for one if I wanted to in the first place. I should have read the other reviews because paying a ridiculous amount of money (hello broke college student with loans here) for a canceled class and ultimately not even an in-person course is absolutely unacceptable. I have also heard that this is not the first time that they have canceled a prep course at my university site and I firmly believe they should not be offering them here if they are just going to get canceled every single time. The "we rarely cancel prep courses" excuse is BS. Do better Kaplan.

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I totally understand your frustration and want help. Courses are subject to cancellation due to low enrollment for that specific class. In the event this happens, we always do our best to help our students find another course that works with them. I would love to connect with you and talk a bit more, so I can see how I may help. Send us a private message on Facebook so we can assist. I look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My older daughter took the unlimited test prep 3 years ago. She did extremely well on her SAT and ACT tests. So I signed up my younger daughter. Please listen to these reviews... I never had a problem in the past with Kaplan but this is crazy. They offered another class miles away from my home in another state. I believe in person class is more beneficial than online but, I already paid $1500 to Kaplan. Can’t even afford to go to another test prep center.

Hi G,

Thanks for providing us with your feedback. Here at Kaplan, we are and always have been committed to helping all of our students succeed on test day. We're thrilled we were able to help your eldest daughter, but we want your youngest one to have the same experience.

I'd love the chance to connect with you so I can learn how we can help make that happen. Please send us a private message on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter so we can talk. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Kendra

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Chantelle at Kaplan left a message for me two days after Christmas saying that my son's ACT test prep class was cancelled. The in-person class was scheduled to start January 5 (for the Feb 9 test.) Calling her back took forever. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, I was told Chantelle wasn't available, they had no other in-person classes available (in all of NYC?) - and the best they could do was switch my son over to an online course. (If I had wanted an online course, I would have signed up for one initially! My son has enough screen time. He doesn't need screen-time test prep!)

The customer service rep tried REALLY hard to steer me to the online class. In fact, he said HE was one of the online tutors! (Really? That's what Kaplan does? They use their "high-achieving, highly-trained" tutors to answer the phones? And push sales?) Kaplan used to be a respected name, but no more. There's a trend here of really dissatisfied customers. Their brand is faltering. They hook you with an in-person class, then cancel without giving you enough time to make alternate arrangements. Shame on them.

Hi Mary,

We're very sorry to hear about your son's canceled course. Course cancellations are rare, and we want to assure you that this is not representative of the Kaplan experience. Our priority is to help our students succeed on test day, and we would love to connect with you to see how we can make that happen.

Please send us a private message with your son's name and email, so that we may locate the enrolment and further assist.

I really look forward to connecting with you, Mary.

-Kendra

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

My teacher was very professional and willing to answer all my questions thoroughly. I found the book and the online practice tests to be helpful and comprehensive. My SAT score improved by 180 points from the last PSAT I had taken. Highly recommended.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

4th student in household using program. Previously fine with the exception of their bookkeeping. We purchased a money back guarantee program that advertised a 200 point score increase of money back. After program completion- doing all assignments on and offline, working with private Kaplan tutor and scoring high on practice test there was a 100 point REDUCTION in score! Further they were reluctant to give money back so I opted for a recycle with a new tutor. By now my student missed a score deadline with a particular institution! Second time, same results- did well very well on practice tests, etc. Test day a 100 point increase from the prior test where he lost 100 points! Customer service person promised to look into it and as expected never returned my call for an inquiry into their failure to deliver. Do not waste your time or money here- program has degraded terribly!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I just purchased a 1 month Qbank yesterday and I can't access. The launch button is not even activated. I don't know what to do, I contacted Kaplan by email, Twitter and Facebook and nobody answer and my time is running!

Hi Elisenda,

I'm so sorry for the confusion - I looked into your account and noticed you set the start date for today, this is why you didn't have access yesterday. One of our agents has been in touch with you and confirmed your access, but I wanted to make sure you're still good to go!

Feel free to continue to message us on social media. For our business hours, click here: http://ow.ly/Bgjn50jGYGM

We're here for you!

-Kendra

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Paid for the in-person tutoring at the Fort Lee, NJ DoubleTree Hotel. My son's scores went down 50 points! Terrible! Their money back guarantee is a scam! No one gets their money back. Have talked to 3 other parents, they never got their money back either after their kids did much worse after Kaplan. Don’t waste your money! There should be a class action lawsuit. If anyone is considering, I’m in!

Hi Christina,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's score. Here at Kaplan, we're determined to help students succeed, as well as to ensure a positive experience.

It looks like one of our experts is already looking into this for you so that we can help.

Would you be able to send us a private message with your son's email contact so that I can make sure we're getting this resolved as quickly as possible?

I look forward to your response.

Best,

-Kendra

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Honestly, 0/5 stars. Really, the only good parts of this class are the somewhat realistic practice tests. Classroom instruction time falls under 2 categories: content that is rushed over or content that is stretched out for no reason. The day I'm writing this, the instructor was 10 minutes late. Then, the instructor started the class with the most offensive analogy I've ever heard. They compared Kaplan's test-taking strategies with "who's going to get treated first, a person with a gun shot wound or a baby with a stuffy nose." Incredibly offensive, especially in front of high school students, in a school.

Besides that, my son is a straight honors student, scores in the 1100+ range for the SAT. He says that everything being taught, he already knows. So, now that we're in the class, they're saying that there's no refunds (I'm happy to pay for all the classes I've attended and the material mailed to me, just want a refund for the future classes). Currently talking to customer service to see what they can do for me. While I'm trying to get my money back, I'm writing this. Very unsatisfied. SAVE YOUR MONEY, give your money to magoosh.com (a website that pretty much does the same thing with Kaplan, cheaper, and you get a free trial first).

Hello,

Although we're glad you found our practice tests to be realistic, we regret that you've had such a negative experience. Regarding classroom instruction, our goal is to provide students with an equal opportunity to benefit from In-Person instruction, no matter where they're at their academic journey.

We truly apologize for the insensitive language used during your son's class. We've addressed this situation with the instructor, and we'll be sure to follow up with you privately as well.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I took the series 6 Top off Exam today and I am very disappointed. My work had sponsored me to take this exam after just passing the SIE exam. I had failed with a 62. I feel that the majority of the Kaplan material was not on the exam. What was on the exam, Kaplan's quizzes and book did not prepare me. Mostly prospectus, variable annuities, taxes, dividends, and capital gains questions. I know that material was in the book, but the exam questions I feel were mostly from the original series 6 book. I know this is a new test but I could of just studied for one quarter of the book. I have spent literally hours studying for this exam and feel I wasted my time on studying on the wrong material. Kaplan has let me down ☹️.

Hi there,

We are saddened to hear that you're unsatisfied with your Kaplan Financial resources, Nancy. Our aim is to provide students with the most up-to-date, most reliable test preparation -- and if we've missed the mark on this one, we want to make things right.

We urge you to give Kaplan Financial a call at 800-824-8742 at your earliest convenience so that our experts can walk you through your options and get you back on track.

Best,

-- Kiara

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

We signed up for a test prep for our daughter 2 months ago. Class should have started this weekend. Nope. Got an email today saying that the class was canceled. Called the Kaplan call center and found out it was under-enrolled. Really? It took you until today to figure that out? Now we have to scramble to find an alternate class. From reading other reviews online this seems like a common problem with them.

Hello John,

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we want you and your family to know that are committed to making this right. We have a multitude of alternative options for students who are impacted by cancelations because we know just how crucial sticking to a test day timeline can be.

We will be reaching out to you privately to follow up on this matter, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

-- Kiara

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Zero stars... but this site forced me to click on at least one. Save your $$$. Where do I begin? My child is an honors student and excellent standardized test taker. So far I have paid $1399 for all inclusive PSAT/SAT/ACT instruction that is supposed to be available in an "unlimited" format in person and online through 12/19. He enrolled in August when we saw that the in person SAT prep classes offered 10 miles from our house on Tuesday/Thursday would work with our schedule. Otherwise we would not have signed up. The first in person class was canceled. So was the second. "Maybe" Kaplan will have enough students for one in February (SIX months after he signed up, mind you).

In the meantime, the next closest locations for in person classes right now are 40-60 minutes away from our home. I would not call that "delivering," would you? So he resorted to online, vs sitting around and doing nothing in the meantime. He sat through 8+ hours of online SAT instruction every week while keeping up with about 15-20 hours of homework. His scores went down 20 points with each practice test. Really? Obviously not effective. Basically, I could have bought the books at Barnes and Nobel and logged into some free YouTube videos and gotten the same (or probably better!) results and saved $1399, less the cost of the study guides.

Our intent for Unlimited Prep was in-person classes, with maybe some extra side work at home when he had time... NOT to have the online be the only way he is getting instruction! So then I look at when the ACT in person classes are offered, figuring he could take one of those in the meantime, since he will sit for that test before year end. When are they offered nearby? NEVER! So we have paid for an unlimited experience for three tests, and he has completed ONE online course for ONE of the tests, with decreasing practice scores. I'd say that's worth 1/6 of the bill or about $224. Another way to look at it.... he NEVER sat for an in-person class, worth $899-999 depending on when you register.

My refund range should be $899-1175. I spent about 45 minutes on hold and speaking with a rep via phone this AM who at first offered a $400 refund. Then a $700 one because "your son took an online SAT class." Huh? How about looking at the cost of the online and in person classes he did NOT take and refunding those instead? Be advised that Kaplan's "Unlimited" prep is actually extremely limited... They will not run in person courses without five paid students. I was told that one session had one paid student and 4 unpaid students registered, so they were not sure if that was going to run. How can that be, I asked. Turns out the 4 unpaid were "make goods" for students with scores who had decreased following their Kaplan course. That is what the rep on the phone told me that day. Unbelievable should be Kaplan's marketing pitch, not unlimited!

Hello,

We strive to provide our students with unmatched academic support, while also providing parents with peace of mind knowing that their child will ace their exam! We completely understand the excitement of In-Person course, and because we were not able to run your son's SAT course as originally scheduled, we are more than happy to provide you with the refund you qualify for.

We will be following up with you privately to ensure that we have explored every possible option for your son.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I signed up for Kaplan Test Prep for the LSAT. I took the course in person and online. The online experience was horrible. The teachers were very animated and talked to you like a third grader. I found it hard to concentrate and get a clear understanding due to all the animated voices. Additionally, it was hard to ask a question because you had to type your question; and by the time it’s answered (which could be by a second instructor present in the virtual classroom), the teacher has already moved on. In person-classes were the same. The instructor was too animated and moved too fast. Waste of time and money. I ended up getting a horrible grade of 134 on LSAT. I’m usually an A/B student. Now I have to pay a private tutor for a more accommodatable experience.

Hello Asia,

Our aim is to provide flexibility by offering students instruction right from the comfort of home while still providing ample support (i.e., having additional instructors present to answer any and all of your questions).

We're disheartened that you didn't achieve your target score, Asia, but you may be eligible for the Money Back Guarantee! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us -- we would love the opportunity to make this right, and we're only a message away.

-- Kiara

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I feel like such an idiot for not having read the reviews for Kaplan until after I signed up for their MCAT course. Of course, my class ended up being canceled last minute, which has me in scrambles trying to find an alternative that would fit my schedule. They offered me to switch into their online course, which is laughable when you realize how much they charged me. To any Kaplan representative reading this, feel free to contact me to help find a solution, but don't write any of that "canceled courses are rare" BS when it's clear to anyone reading your reviews that is an all too common occurrence.

Hello Alex,

I would be more than happy to personally reach out to you so that we can find personalized prep that is perfect just for you, and get you back on track to take the MCAT.

When it comes to course cancellations, we are very transparent with students and their families about providing refunds. We want you to understand that we have options for you and our job is to support you.

We will be following up with you privately, and we look forward to your response!

-- Kiara

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

When I first purchased Kaplan I was very happy, but it got much worse from there. I signed up for my first class at a school near my house and it got canceled the next week. I was like, "No big deal," at that point so I registered for an online class and it has been okay, but my scores on my practice test continually go down. I then signed up for another session at that same school near my house and it got canceled again. At this point I called the company to figure things out and they said I can relocate to a school almost an hour from my house. That was just for SAT. I also want to take ACT and when I was on the phone with them they never told me that the closest school that has a ACT class is 57 miles away from my house.

I am extremely disappointed at this point, but it gets worse. I called the customer service to ask for a refund and they said they would call back the next day. When I asked for a refund they said they can refund the amount of credit I spent. I got the unlimited prep package for $1399, and they said they would have to take the $999 of that refund so I would only get $400 dollars back which is a scam.

Hello PJ,

We're sorry that your SAT course didn't run as scheduled, but we want to assure you this is not representative of the true Kaplan experience.

Our team does everything they can to find prep that works well with work, school, and testing deadlines because we understand how much of an investment test prep is.

Plans change - which is why our refund policy (as outlined in your enrollment agreement) is so flexible. If you have questions regarding your refund, we're only a message away!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Customer service nightmares. When they don't do what they promised (multiple different things), customer service cannot escalate your call to a Kaplan manager. They always say the manager will call you back in 24 hours, but the manager doesn't ever call back or leave a message. So far they have advertised the course I paid for, for $50 less before the course and promised but failed to refund the difference. Canceled my Monday morning in-person by email on the Saturday night before. Suggested I just watch the $450 in-person course online, since the one I paid for was canceled. Offered alternately a 3-day course 100 miles away with no consideration for my additional time and travel expenses.

Their logic-oriented test-taking strategy is worth considering on some questions if you don't know what else to do, but on many questions it could lead you to choose the wrong answer if you're consistently applying it to all the questions as they suggest, it's going to lead to wrong test answer choices and real-world mistakes in clinical judgment. The certificate of completion I was promised before and during the course is being denied. While I got a course completion letter, it does not include the specifics I was promised and is useless. On these multiple issues, customer service has apparently lied to me, or they are not all coordinated. Multiple requests to speak to a manager on the above issues.

Customer service employees state they are unable to escalate calls, and that a manager will call me back within 24 hours. I had 3 calls dropped from their end this morning. They didn't call me back, even though they had my phone number. Nobody from Kaplan has called me back or left a message to me, including the promised manager issue-escalation callbacks, even though they thoroughly verify my identity and contact information every time I've called. My experience with Kaplan: very, very bad. I passed the NCLEX-RN 3 weeks ago on my first attempt. In my opinion just nursing school generally, and in no specific order: ATI, Saunders, and UWORLD review materials helped me through the real NCLEX.

I didn't even think about the Kaplan method during the test after the first few questions, because it seemed to me, on most of the questions and answers, the Kaplan method was not leading me to what I believed were the right answers. I passed the NCLEX in about an hour and fifteen minutes and got the RN, so I must have been doing something right while not using the Kaplan method. It's just sad and awful that almost a month later, Kaplan cannot step up and provide that certificate in the form I was promised.

Really bad service when they make promises, break the promises, and then lie to customers about how managers cannot speak to customers on the phone but will call the customers back in 24 hours and never call back. That's not customer service; it's just lies. That's been my Kaplan experience. Definitely, I had no problems at all from ATI and UWORLD customer service when little issues arose they never lied to me. And the content in Saunders review book is excellent. The Kaplan book is just good for cleaning dog poo, in comparison to Saunders, in my opinion.

Hello George,

While we regret that your experience with Kaplan has been anything short of amazing, we're happy to hear that you passed the NCLEX on your first attempt.

We know just how important it is for our students to feel supported throughout their academic journey, which is why we try our best to provide unmatched customer service.

We will be following up with you very shortly regarding your experience,

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

First session (prep test) was to take place at a hotel conference room. Arrived to find out from the teacher that Kaplan had forgotten to confirm and pay for the room. I offered to pay for it so they could proceed. The teacher was nice but her manager on the phone instructed her to refuse to let me pay for it and to cancel the session instead. The teacher, who was lovely, suggested taking the test at home. I asked the teacher to have her manager call me. She texted the manager my request and contact info. The manager did not call me. I tried to give the test to my daughter at home. The online proctor was not working. There was no information about how to proctor it myself-- how much time it should take, when to give breaks, etc.

Kaplan does not have customer service on the weekend so calls were unanswered. After a brief chat with Kaplan's online chat mechanism, which revealed only that the people answering the chats do not know substantive information, the chat was disabled. I could not reach anyone and researched myself to figure out how to administer the test. By the time I figured it out it was late in the day and my daughter was tired, and I had to start dinner. Overall a mess, and a big waste of a day. Sorely disappointed in Kaplan.

Hi Rebecca,

We regret that we had to cancel the initial session of your student's course, and we are truly sorry for the technical issues you experienced thereafter.

Our hours of operation have changed recently, and we're now interacting with our students via email, social media, and live chats on Sundays! We see that you were able to get in touch with a manager and received a full refund for the inconvenience, but we are still here for you should you ever need us.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I attended the Kaplan in person and online courses. While the in person course was certainly underwhelming and did not provide any novel information or strategies, the online section was horrible, with frequent technical difficulties and very poor response time from Kaplan. I prepared to sit down and take a practice test the week before my exam, and when I did, the site was not working!! It really got me worked up and shook my exam confidence. For a company that claims to be supportive, they rarely accomplish this goal. All of this would be more tolerable if the course was not so expensive. I wish I never would have wasted my money on this sub-par method of prep.

Hello Maddie,

We take the quality of our retail books, online courses, and In-Person courses very seriously because our goal is to provide the most realistic test prep experience possible. We are on call for our students seven days a week to provide support should any technical problems arise. So if we've missed the mark on this one - we genuinely apologize.

Also, please keep in mind that we do offer a Money Back Guarantee should you find yourself unsatisfied with your test scores!

-- Kiara

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I am so disappointed with the Kaplan experience. First of all my school makes it compulsory to take the review specifically with Kaplan. In the one month strict schedule, only 2 professors were helpful (physio and micro). The rest, just stood up from 8-5pm to read over things in a Powerpoint, you couldn't keep up with because the Kaplan books are badly organized. For example physio book has the graphs of mitral regurgitation in one page but the other half of that same page is describing mitral stenosis. The Qbank is the worst. You do exams to test on your improvement but can't go over the wrong ones because the site goes crazy on a daily basis and doesn't let you. How is there space for improvement like this? Don't get how a high priced review could end up being a headache. I would definitely not recommend Kaplan, it's a waste of TIME and money.

Natalia,

We're saddened to hear that you are unsatisfied with your Kaplan experience thus far, and we genuinely apologize, but we are here to help.

Are you still having trouble with your Qbank, or reviewing your practice exams? We know that you've invested a great deal of effort and money into your preparation and we want to make sure that we deliver.

Please give us a call at 1-800-527-8378 at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Kaplan wasted my time and my money. I organized my entire school class schedule, travel plans, and test plans around their in person class on my college campus. They cancelled it TWO DAYS BEFORE THE CLASS WAS SUPPOSED TO START. They told me to reschedule my class or try their online class. Why would I pay $1500 for a ** online class when I can pay $300 at Magoosh? They were rude, condescending, and basically did nothing to help me in this situation. I don't think they fully comprehend that these are people's FUTURES. As a COMPANY you owe it to your customers to fulfill your commitments and promises for your EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE services. Please I BEG OF YOU. Save yourself the time, money, and stress of using this absolutely useless service. Use ANY OTHER SERVICE.

Hello Divyya,

We want to apologize sincerely, and again we hope that you will give us the chance to make this right. Course cancellations are rare, and we want to assure you that this is not representative of the Kaplan experience by any means.

We reached out to you a few days ago in hopes that you would allow us to be part of your GMAT journey still -- because we really are committed to your academic success. Please give us a call at (1-800-527-8378) at your earliest convenience.

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs