2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.22/5

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I purchased the online Kaplan course for the MCAT in October 2019. My Kaplan's online access was going to expire in 10 days. My test date was not until April. I chatted with a representative named Kiarra. Before and during the course, I suffered from neurological issues following a concussion in August. It caused a seizure a month after (not during the course). I asked for an extension to access my online resources because I am not taking the MCAT until April. Each 7-day extension was $75. Since I am not testing until late April, I would have had to pay over $1,000 to extend my online access to course-related material such as the Q-Bank, helpful videos, etc. I mentioned to Kiarra that I would provide medical documentation proving what occurred and the subsequent diagnoses and symptoms from my physician. The concussion and subsequent symptoms prevented me from taking full advantage of Kaplan's online resources.

Since this was an extenuating circumstance, Kiarra had to verify a few things to assist me better. After a few minutes, Kiarra said she was able to speak with someone, and Kaplan graciously extended my online access until my test date in April. They did not ask me to provide any proof of my medical documents to verify my medical issues. Kaplan was very helpful and understanding. They DID NOT request any medical documentation, even though I offered to share it. Kaplan made me feel even better knowing that my medical information would remain private. Kaplan is genuinely an excellent company for test prep, and they were extremely accommodating in helping me extend my access until my test date. If you have any questions, concerns, inquiries, Kaplan's customer support is superior to other companies providing test prep!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. Reading reviews like yours puts a smile on my face. We work hard to make sure that our agents have the tools they need to make the best decisions with the information you provide them. We're so glad that your health was made a priority and that we were able to get you the time you needed to prepare properly. We're always here to help you. We're glad to hear that you're doing better. We wish you nothing but the best, and we look forward to helping you with anything else you may need.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I am writing to recommend Kaplan Bar Review. I am a repeat bar taker and I have Cerebral Palsy. As a result of my Cerebral Palsy, I am unable to use my own hands to write out the essay and MPT portions of the exam. I am able to complete the essay and MPT portions of the exam through the use of a non-lawyer scribe. My medical issues do not end with having Cerebral Palsy. A few days after I signed up for my February 2019 bar prep course, I was scheduled to undergo surgery. The night before surgery, I remember Professor ** e-mailing me to wish me well. I remember feeling so touched that I thought to myself… Kaplan is MY prep course. Professor ** was even kind enough to check on me after surgery!

In addition to the regular course, I did the full tutoring package, which was the BEST DECISION EVER. Before the tutoring package, I thought my essays and MPT’s were already stellar. I WAS WRONG. I knew the rules and how to apply them, but needed help with structure. Since I could not write out the essays or MPTs, my tutor Leona would very patiently sit with me on the phone and we would do the essays and MPTS orally over the phone. By the way, during the time that I was studying for the exam, I had TWO kidney stones. I also had a virus during the exam. I STILL PASSED. My goal in writing this review is to illustrate the following three things:

1. NOTHING is impossible even in the worst of circumstances.
        2. Life does not stop because of bar prep.

3. With Kaplan, you WILL pass and get through life during bar prep.

Thank you Professor ** and Leona. I am FOREVER grateful. #KAPLAN #Konfidence!

Sincerely,

LK

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. This review touched my heart, and I'm beyond happy to hear all the fantastic things that happened. First, I want to say congratulations on passing your Bar. Your circumstances are incredibly inspirational, and you took full advantage of every hurdle that came your way. I wish you nothing but a prosperous life, and I'm extremely honored to hear that you were able to use the tools we provided to achieve your goals. This is a true testament to your hard work and dedication.

Get expert buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I would like to commend the Bar Prep provided by Kaplan. I am an Attorney from Israel, doing mostly criminal defense work with a mixture of private cases and public defender cases. I came over to NY and took an In Class Kaplan Bar Review with additional LLM materials provided. I followed the plan and was greatly helped by the feedback of graders and of lecturers especially the brilliant Christopher **. Midway through the course 1 month out from the Bar Exam my Dad suddenly passed away without any notice, forcing me to drop everything totally for 2 weeks at a very crucial point in the course.

Kaplan reps reached out to me and made clear that they would help me out if I needed to postpone taking the exam. I decided to come back and work as hard as possible and give it a try, feeling that if nothing else I would learn more for another time. Mid term MBE was 105 and Final 118, so I was a bit worried going into the Bar. Also did Emmanuel's MBE, to get another type of questions.

Yesterday the NY Bar results came through. Even though I had convinced myself that I most likely had failed, ** told me after the exam to keep my head high...and there I was surprised get the great news, I passed with enough to waive into all the other UBE jurisdictions across the country! I greatly appreciated the personal touch I received from the Kaplan graders, lecturers and course guides, this quick response and kindness make a very real difference. In particular the video lectures that ** provides at the very end of the course after the final MBE are great and I am sure it helped get some extra points. Shalom.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats, H! That's great news to hear, and we couldn't be more proud.

Thank you for choosing Kaplan to help you reach this goal. We're grateful to have been able to help. :)

On behalf of Kaplan and the entire Bar Review Team, we wish you the very best with all of your future endeavors!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I found out this week that I passed the Alabama bar exam—thank you Kaplan! For those about to enter the process of bar review, expect to experience a lot of doubt throughout your studying. Managing that doubt is really what the game was all about for me. What I really love about KBR is that they don’t give you guarantees like “you will pass if you do x, y, and z” (you’ve probably heard the balogna about “if you do 2,000 MBE questions you will pass”). Instead they tell you what successful test takers do and they give you every tool to do it.

Of course that can be frustrating at times because we all wish we could just check the block and feel like we’ve done the minimum so we’re good, but that’s just not going to work for the bar exam. Kaplan takes the approach of giving you the real confidence based on hard work and experience. And they explain WHY they approach it the way they do which I thought was awesome—because at the end of the day I was the guy who had to sit down and take the test so I was the ultimate decisionmaker about how I would spend my time.

Anyway, just got my score report back yesterday and I’m really amazed how well my scores on the MBE portion line up with my MBE practice in bar review. My overall MBE scaled score tracked perfectly with my Kaplan final MBE practice test score. And it’s no wonder: the real MBE questions looked extremely familiar after thousands of Kaplan MBE practice questions. And to be honest, Kaplan gave me every reason to know I was going to crush the MBE.

But let’s talk about the doggone essay portion—ie the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT). For me the essays were the most frustrating part of both bar review and the actual test experience. I absolutely hated the MPT because I am a slow typed and a slow thinker and I was really worried I couldn’t pull it off. But I put the practice in and made myself suffer through the bad scores and feeling like I should have done better.

Then the night before the MPT and MEE I could not sleep—so that wasn’t cool. But one of the Kaplan instructors had mentioned that might happen (I thought “yeah, not me buddy, Imma sleep like a baby”), but he told us to remember that we were prepared and to dig deep. So that’s what I did. And when I opened up that MPT book in the morning all I could focus on was the fundamentals that Kaplan had drilled into me. Then lunch break, quick nap in the car, caffeine then back to the grind with the MEEs.

Now chances are a lot of stuff I typed on those essays was complete bunk, but I focused and applied Kaplan’s process and I was able to spot and prioritize the big stuff and FINISH—even if it wasn’t pretty. And it worked. My performance on the essay portion was even better than my MBE performance. Now I’m planning my trip down to Montgomery for the bar admission ceremony.

One little postscript: When you start Kaplan bar review you are gonna hear all about the Chuck Norris of bar review, Chris Fromm. “Wow, Chris Fromm...he’s a genius...yada yada...Chris Fromm, Chris Fromm.” So yeah Chris Fromm is the dude—you’ll just have to see for yourself. And, yes, after watching the eleven hour one-man show entitled “MBE Practice Exam Review,” Mr. Fromm may haunt your dreams. But just wait until the sequel. Anyway, I’ve got to give some respect to all the other awesome instructors. Personally I feel indebted to the MEE and MPT instructors. They really set me up for success. And ALL the Kaplan instructors still haunt my dreams.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats on passing your bar exam! We're so proud of you for all of the hard work you put in to achieve this goal.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan and for sharing this awesome news.

We wish you continued success in everything that you do!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

So, to cut to the chase, I took my state Bar Exam in July 2019 and passed my first time through. I used Kaplan as my test prep and could not be happier. The regional support, Anna and Ashley, were involved and helpful and responded (usually) within 24 hours of a question. If they didn't know the answer, they knew who did and put me in contact. To the best of my recollection, ALL of the instructors gave out their email address (most, if not all, were instructors at other law schools) and encouraged contact if you were confused or unsure... They were there to help.

Someone I want to mention specifically is Professor Chris **. He does a lot of review courses (so you will see his videos). I emailed him a few times regarding review and, as with Anna and Ashley, I got a response back very quickly and it was very succinct and clear (letting me know what I did right or wrong in my analysis). The course was detailed, inclusive, and does a great job of preparing you.

Now, you can't JUST do the course and think you will pass. You have to do the course and put in the work (such as reviewing the topic similarities and differences, writing the essays, and doing the MCQs). The course is designed to make you succeed. They have MCQ Banks so you can review hundreds or thousands of MCQs that represent what you will see on the bar, they will review your practice essays to make you a better writer, and, in my experience, the program helps you navigate through your weaker subject(s). I chose Kaplan on a classmate's recommendation and I am not disappointed!

Hi, Julius.

First, we want to say CONGRATS on passing the Bar! That's such exciting news. :)

Your hard work and dedication paid off, and we're so proud of you. (I know that Chris, Anna, and Ashely will be proud of you, too when I share this with them.)

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us on your experience.

We wish you continued success in all that you do.

-Kendra from Kaplan

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was originally enrolled within a Kaplan Test Prep course, that was focused on preparation of the LSAT(Law School Admission Test). Before having the opportunity to utilize this resource, I was unfortunately faced with an incredible personal obstacle, of finding out that a close family member was diagnosed with colon cancer. As a result I had to withdrawal from my classes, despite my dilemma, the Kaplan Customer Care respondent Ramsha was incredibly helpful, understanding, patient, and interpersonal. I was completely thankful for her incredible professionalism, etiquette, and interpersonal nature. Ramsha does an incredible job embodying what it means to be a representative of Kaplan Test Prep. She really came to my aid when I was in my moment of distress, and I am grateful for her intervention.

Hi Salem,

Thank you for writing such a beautiful message about Ramsha. We love hearing positive words from our students when it comes to our representatives. We work hard to provide our agents with the tools to be successful. It means the world to us knowing that your experience was a positive one and that she left a substantial impression on you. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if you need us.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

-Kaplan Test Prep

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

The MCAT can be a very stressful process especially financially and Alexis provided both empathetic and genuine help in exploring my options for extending my MCAT course. I had to move my test date from January to the end of March and with my course expiring in early February, I was inevitably quite stressed in going in cold to the test. However, Alexis was able to work closely with me in finding the best option for me to extend my course without draining my wallet. It's rare to have a customer service experience that is positive let alone one that goes on to make your day. This service experience alone is enough for me to recommend Kaplan course prep programs to all of my peers as she showed me that the organization values their students' success over just financial gain, which cannot be said about some other test prep companies. If you do find yourself in a support chat with Alexis, rest assured that you are in good hands.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Siddharth. You are the 2nd person today who has written such a beautiful message about Alexis. We love hearing positive words from our students when it comes to our representatives. We work hard to provide our agents with the tools to be successful. It means the world to us knowing that your experience was a positive one and that she left a substantial impression on you. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if you need us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I told Alexis what I was going through in life which hindered me from being able to use my MCAT resources and she went above and beyond to help me out. I have taken the MCAT once before and it did not go as planned given what I was going through and I had already used the higher score guarantee to extend my resources, but my family and I were not in a place to dedicate ourselves to our education, jobs, etc. I finally feel on-track for success on the MCAT but my resources were set to expire 2 months before my new date. She allowed a final courtesy extension after hearing my story. She was so unbelievably kind. Best agent ever. I feel more confident than ever. Alexis is the best!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. This type of review means so much to us. We try our best to hear our students and help them through any predicament that may pop up. We know how life can throw its many wrenches, and it's our job to make sure that we create a space that helps our students. Thank you so much for taking the time out to write this lovely review. We'll pass this over to her manager. They love hearing fantastic positive reviews about our customer service reps. Thanks again. Have an amazing day!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Today I called customer service unsure of what was included in the Kaplan test prep program I had purchased. Once Kiarra patiently walked me through the program, I realized my son had not accessed the entire program before it expired. Kiarra explained the company position very kindly a few times to me and offered to try to see if she could help me further. I explained my position again and she was so professional and kind throughout the entire exchange. I really appreciated her actively listening and going the extra mile for a returning customer. She is a great asset to Kaplan.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Tina. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience. It really makes us feel good knowing that our customers are receiving excellent customer service. I will definitely make sure this review gets in the hands of her manager. They love hearing how our customer service reps are doing. Please feel free to reach out if you need any additional assistance. We're always here to help.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

RUDEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!! I called Kaplan with a question about switching cities for my bar review course. After being on hold for approximately 20 minutes, I was connected to Luke in Orlando, FL. Luke is an enrollment specialist. We were having some issues with reception and I asked several times "can you hear me?" and sometimes he said yes and sometimes no as I tried to adjust some things on my end, before he suddenly stated out of the blue "I am trying to have a professional conversation with you and I won't let you talk to me like that. I am hanging up now." I was astounded and outraged!! What had I said? Nothing except, "can you hear me?"

I don't know what this "Luke" heard on his end but his reaction was... reactionary and inappropriate and gave me no chance to respond. I am now seriously thinking about canceling my course and going to a competitor. I will be posting this review all over the internet and will continue to do so until I have heard from Kaplan that this "Luke" has been terminated. I've spent over $5k with Kaplan over the years and they treat me like this? Unacceptable!!!!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Christopher. It's Bryan. I cannot apologize enough for the experience you had. Rest assured, knowing that we care about our students, and we want to make sure that we help in any way that we can. We reached out to our manager with your review, and it looks like they reached out to you yesterday and resolved your issue. I'm here to escalate any additional information over to them if you still feel that we could do more to help you. If so, please shoot us an email at nxtsocial@kaplan.com.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team