2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

TLDR: Kaplan is a great company! I highly recommend their services for test prep as they offer great resources and their customer service is outstanding. I would recommend reaching out to their customer service on the phone though as the experience I had through online support vs. phone was night and day. Thanks to Kiarra, my negative first impression of Kaplan's customer service (with a different representative) became extremely positive and I will definitely use Kaplan for my future test prep!

Full story below: My first customer service experience was not great. I reached out through Kaplan's online support because my MCAT study resources had expired and I was under the impression when I purchased the Kaplan online course that it included unlimited access through the end of 2020. Due to technical issues with my online class materials and COVID-19, I never got to use the study package I had purchased and am now taking the MCAT next year. I received a response that said not to worry they would help, but they needed my MCAT date. I explained that the 2021 schedule had not been released but either in January or March.

7 days later I received another reply listing out options for me to purchase expensive extensions. The next day I received the message that my case was being closed because I hadn't responded within 24 hours (after a 7 day wait for a response on their end)! Having already spent $2500 on Kaplan resources I did not get to use, I replied asking for a callback and the only response I received was a survey asking how the customer service was.

Today, I decided to call Kaplan's customer service phone line myself. This turned out to be a great decision. I spoke with Kiarra, a different representative who was remarkably understanding, helpful and kind. She saw that I hadn't used the resources yet and empathized with my predicament given this tumultuous time. She immediately signed me up for a new live class, updated my resources and sent me the new updated books for the 2021 MCAT. I cannot express my gratitude and appreciation enough! I will definitely be using Kaplan for future test prep (as I know I have a lot of exams in front of me) Thank you so much Kiarra for your kindness in helping me prepare for the MCAT!

Original review: April 22, 2020

I would like to take this opportunity to compliment Ms. Alexis ** from KAPLAN Test Prep Customer Service Department. On April 20, 2020, I called customer service related to my purchase issue. Alexis was extremely friendly and professional. She efficiently solved my problem. Her knowledge, professionalism, attention to detail, courteous follow-ups have far surpassed the customer service from other similar companies. I must point out that Alexis is diligent. She develops an excellent customer relationship. Certainly, she is an asset to the KAPLAN Test Prep company. No doubt, I would not hesitate in recommending KAPLAN Test Prep to friends and colleagues who are looking for test review materials. Thank you again, Alexis!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Yinfu! Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We strive to consistently provide excellent customer service to our students and their families. I'm glad that Alexis was able to be so helpful. I'll make sure to share your kind words with her.

Thanks again for your feedback! If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out.

-Kendra from Kaplan

Get buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

The MCAT can be a very stressful process especially financially and Alexis provided both empathetic and genuine help in exploring my options for extending my MCAT course. I had to move my test date from January to the end of March and with my course expiring in early February, I was inevitably quite stressed in going in cold to the test. However, Alexis was able to work closely with me in finding the best option for me to extend my course without draining my wallet. It's rare to have a customer service experience that is positive let alone one that goes on to make your day. This service experience alone is enough for me to recommend Kaplan course prep programs to all of my peers as she showed me that the organization values their students' success over just financial gain, which cannot be said about some other test prep companies. If you do find yourself in a support chat with Alexis, rest assured that you are in good hands.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Siddharth. You are the 2nd person today who has written such a beautiful message about Alexis. We love hearing positive words from our students when it comes to our representatives. We work hard to provide our agents with the tools to be successful. It means the world to us knowing that your experience was a positive one and that she left a substantial impression on you. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if you need us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I purchased the online Kaplan course for the MCAT in October 2019. My Kaplan's online access was going to expire in 10 days. My test date was not until April. I chatted with a representative named Kiarra. Before and during the course, I suffered from neurological issues following a concussion in August. It caused a seizure a month after (not during the course). I asked for an extension to access my online resources because I am not taking the MCAT until April. Each 7-day extension was $75. Since I am not testing until late April, I would have had to pay over $1,000 to extend my online access to course-related material such as the Q-Bank, helpful videos, etc. I mentioned to Kiarra that I would provide medical documentation proving what occurred and the subsequent diagnoses and symptoms from my physician. The concussion and subsequent symptoms prevented me from taking full advantage of Kaplan's online resources.

Since this was an extenuating circumstance, Kiarra had to verify a few things to assist me better. After a few minutes, Kiarra said she was able to speak with someone, and Kaplan graciously extended my online access until my test date in April. They did not ask me to provide any proof of my medical documents to verify my medical issues. Kaplan was very helpful and understanding. They DID NOT request any medical documentation, even though I offered to share it. Kaplan made me feel even better knowing that my medical information would remain private. Kaplan is genuinely an excellent company for test prep, and they were extremely accommodating in helping me extend my access until my test date. If you have any questions, concerns, inquiries, Kaplan's customer support is superior to other companies providing test prep!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. Reading reviews like yours puts a smile on my face. We work hard to make sure that our agents have the tools they need to make the best decisions with the information you provide them. We're so glad that your health was made a priority and that we were able to get you the time you needed to prepare properly. We're always here to help you. We're glad to hear that you're doing better. We wish you nothing but the best, and we look forward to helping you with anything else you may need.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I contact them on behalf of my boss and they were very helpful. I am having an error contacting their phone number but they were able to help me get the information I need through chat. And the conversation was even sent to my Email. I feel comfortable talking to them. Thank you very much! I highly recommend this company to my boss and his child.

Hi Carlie,

Thanks so much for your review! It makes us happy to hear that you received such great service through our chat line when we experienced a brief phone outage the other day.

We're committed to making ourselves available to our students through various channels to ensure they can always contact us for help.

If you ever need anything, you can reach us via phone, chat, email, or through all major social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).

We've got your back!

-Kendra

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

My daughter missed a tutoring session over computer technical issue. The tutor told her to just call and they will fix it. Never happened. She spent hours on the phone being stressed out and the rudest customer service. Made my daughter so upset. Affected her mid term as well as her LSAT. They basically are a test bank center. Do not sign up for tutoring. They were not helpful. So many issues and problems.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

My daughter used the 7 day free trial. Three days into it 10/15/2020 I received an email promotion offer of $99 instead of the standard $149 price. On 10/18/2020 at 4pm I followed the link on the email to make the $99 purchase and the only price made available was the original $149. I entered into a chat with "Amelia" and questioned how to receive the $99 price. Amelia said that was a flash sale for one day only 10/15/2020. The email makes no mention at all anywhere of an expiration date or end time to the promotion. I sent a copy of the email to to Amelia "**". She refused to honor the $99 price and told me I was not a suitable Kaplan customer and should buy from a competitor. I WILL PURCHASE FROM A COMPETITOR AND SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I had a very bad experience with Kaplan Test Prep. I was enrolling for 3 month q bank subscription when in-between the process I was charged 21000inr through my debit card. After deduction of fee when I proceeded further It showed my card wasn't processed. If my card wasn't processed why was 21000inr deducted from my bank account by Kaplan. I wrote to kaplan customer care team via email, Facebook and even tried reaching them through the given toll free customer care number. I tried to reach them through chat in the help option on kaptest webpage, but none worked.

In reply to my email they said they'll take up the issue in 48 hours but they did not. I visited my bank about the issue and I was told to contact the kaptest team directly. But they have made it impossible to reach them via any source. I am waiting for refund. But none of the team members contacted me. They are not even reversing back the payment. Very bad experience. Never expected from kaplan.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I had a very serious situation where I wasn't sure if I would make it to pass my GED. I ordered my book and I submitted my address and no one told me I couldn't use PO Boxes. So I wasted about 2 weeks waiting for my book and it wouldn't arrive. When I had to find out myself, that USPS didn't ship to PO Boxes I got upset because I wanted to study for my GED and I only have a few months before my resources expire. Then I proceeded to get ahold of a Customer Support Agent by the name of Kiarra. She was more than helpful and I would defiantly recommend her and this company. Not only did she help me with shipping issues, she expanded my resources to help me study for my GED. Truly amazing!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Sept. 18, 2020. I was given the Kaplan Test Prep for AZ900 and AZ103 and I failed both tests. I never fail tests and I am always well prepared... When I took the tests, half the questions I wasn't even prepared for. While I was studying Kaplan test questions, some questions weren't quite correct and I emailed them a few times about the questions with no response or clarification.

My school just sent me the GMetrix test prep for AZ900 and it is 1000% times better and I am only 10 questions in. The format is closer and even the questions I got wrong are on GMetrix. They weren't on Kaplan. I don't understand why they weren't on Kaplan because it seems logical. Stay away from Kaplan. If your school insists to use Kaplan, you should insist to use GMetrix. I wasted a lot of time and energy with Kaplan. I would have already had my certifications by now. Thanks for nothing Kaplan.

Kaplan Test Prep author review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team