3.95/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Kaplan Test Prep

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I am writing to recommend Kaplan Bar Review. I am a repeat bar taker and I have Cerebral Palsy. As a result of my Cerebral Palsy, I am unable to use my own hands to write out the essay and MPT portions of the exam. I am able to complete the essay and MPT portions of the exam through the use of a non-lawyer scribe. My medical issues do not end with having Cerebral Palsy. A few days after I signed up for my February 2019 bar prep course, I was scheduled to undergo surgery. The night before surgery, I remember Professor ** e-mailing me to wish me well. I remember feeling so touched that I thought to myself… Kaplan is MY prep course. Professor ** was even kind enough to check on me after surgery!

In addition to the regular course, I did the full tutoring package, which was the BEST DECISION EVER. Before the tutoring package, I thought my essays and MPT’s were already stellar. I WAS WRONG. I knew the rules and how to apply them, but needed help with structure. Since I could not write out the essays or MPTs, my tutor Leona would very patiently sit with me on the phone and we would do the essays and MPTS orally over the phone. By the way, during the time that I was studying for the exam, I had TWO kidney stones. I also had a virus during the exam. I STILL PASSED. My goal in writing this review is to illustrate the following three things:

1. NOTHING is impossible even in the worst of circumstances.
      2. Life does not stop because of bar prep.

3. With Kaplan, you WILL pass and get through life during bar prep.

Thank you Professor ** and Leona. I am FOREVER grateful. #KAPLAN #Konfidence!

Sincerely,

LK

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. This review touched my heart, and I'm beyond happy to hear all the fantastic things that happened. First, I want to say congratulations on passing your Bar. Your circumstances are incredibly inspirational, and you took full advantage of every hurdle that came your way. I wish you nothing but a prosperous life, and I'm extremely honored to hear that you were able to use the tools we provided to achieve your goals. This is a true testament to your hard work and dedication.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I would like to commend the Bar Prep provided by Kaplan. I am an Attorney from Israel, doing mostly criminal defense work with a mixture of private cases and public defender cases. I came over to NY and took an In Class Kaplan Bar Review with additional LLM materials provided. I followed the plan and was greatly helped by the feedback of graders and of lecturers especially the brilliant Christopher **. Midway through the course 1 month out from the Bar Exam my Dad suddenly passed away without any notice, forcing me to drop everything totally for 2 weeks at a very crucial point in the course.

Kaplan reps reached out to me and made clear that they would help me out if I needed to postpone taking the exam. I decided to come back and work as hard as possible and give it a try, feeling that if nothing else I would learn more for another time. Mid term MBE was 105 and Final 118, so I was a bit worried going into the Bar. Also did Emmanuel's MBE, to get another type of questions.

Yesterday the NY Bar results came through. Even though I had convinced myself that I most likely had failed, ** told me after the exam to keep my head high...and there I was surprised get the great news, I passed with enough to waive into all the other UBE jurisdictions across the country! I greatly appreciated the personal touch I received from the Kaplan graders, lecturers and course guides, this quick response and kindness make a very real difference. In particular the video lectures that ** provides at the very end of the course after the final MBE are great and I am sure it helped get some extra points. Shalom.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats, H! That's great news to hear, and we couldn't be more proud.

Thank you for choosing Kaplan to help you reach this goal. We're grateful to have been able to help. :)

On behalf of Kaplan and the entire Bar Review Team, we wish you the very best with all of your future endeavors!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Get expert buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

It was difficult for me to decide which Bar review program to use for my Bar preparation. Many of my school’s alumni told me that they used Kaplan so I decided on Kaplan. That was the best decision I could have made. The study material was organized, comprehensive and in-depth. The course schedule was straightforward and easy to follow. I truly enjoyed the online course presentations because the professors were phenomenal in their delivery. Furthermore, most of them had real-world experiences therefore; they were able to give relatable illustrations to present complex rule elements and theories.

Also, Kaplan has unlimited essay and MPT review which are graded and returned in a timely manner. There were over 3,000 MBE questions available with explanations and Kaplan has Chris **, the G.O.A.T of MBE. He possesses massive knowledge of the MBE, which is the direct reason I scored above the average score. Additionally, the mobile app was awesome and it enabled me to do questions while on the move. Yes, I recommend Kaplan!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Constance, we appreciate you taking out the time to review our Bar program!

It makes us so happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with the course and our instructors. Chris is definitely a Kaplan celebrity and an amazing teacher. We know the difference top-notch instructors can make, so we only hire the very best to teach our content.

Thanks for allowing us here at Kaplan to help you prep for your exam.

Wishing you the very best,

Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I found out this week that I passed the Alabama bar exam—thank you Kaplan! For those about to enter the process of bar review, expect to experience a lot of doubt throughout your studying. Managing that doubt is really what the game was all about for me. What I really love about KBR is that they don’t give you guarantees like “you will pass if you do x, y, and z” (you’ve probably heard the balogna about “if you do 2,000 MBE questions you will pass”). Instead they tell you what successful test takers do and they give you every tool to do it.

Of course that can be frustrating at times because we all wish we could just check the block and feel like we’ve done the minimum so we’re good, but that’s just not going to work for the bar exam. Kaplan takes the approach of giving you the real confidence based on hard work and experience. And they explain WHY they approach it the way they do which I thought was awesome—because at the end of the day I was the guy who had to sit down and take the test so I was the ultimate decisionmaker about how I would spend my time.

Anyway, just got my score report back yesterday and I’m really amazed how well my scores on the MBE portion line up with my MBE practice in bar review. My overall MBE scaled score tracked perfectly with my Kaplan final MBE practice test score. And it’s no wonder: the real MBE questions looked extremely familiar after thousands of Kaplan MBE practice questions. And to be honest, Kaplan gave me every reason to know I was going to crush the MBE.

But let’s talk about the doggone essay portion—ie the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT). For me the essays were the most frustrating part of both bar review and the actual test experience. I absolutely hated the MPT because I am a slow typed and a slow thinker and I was really worried I couldn’t pull it off. But I put the practice in and made myself suffer through the bad scores and feeling like I should have done better.

Then the night before the MPT and MEE I could not sleep—so that wasn’t cool. But one of the Kaplan instructors had mentioned that might happen (I thought “yeah, not me buddy, Imma sleep like a baby”), but he told us to remember that we were prepared and to dig deep. So that’s what I did. And when I opened up that MPT book in the morning all I could focus on was the fundamentals that Kaplan had drilled into me. Then lunch break, quick nap in the car, caffeine then back to the grind with the MEEs.

Now chances are a lot of stuff I typed on those essays was complete bunk, but I focused and applied Kaplan’s process and I was able to spot and prioritize the big stuff and FINISH—even if it wasn’t pretty. And it worked. My performance on the essay portion was even better than my MBE performance. Now I’m planning my trip down to Montgomery for the bar admission ceremony.

One little postscript: When you start Kaplan bar review you are gonna hear all about the Chuck Norris of bar review, Chris Fromm. “Wow, Chris Fromm...he’s a genius...yada yada...Chris Fromm, Chris Fromm.” So yeah Chris Fromm is the dude—you’ll just have to see for yourself. And, yes, after watching the eleven hour one-man show entitled “MBE Practice Exam Review,” Mr. Fromm may haunt your dreams. But just wait until the sequel. Anyway, I’ve got to give some respect to all the other awesome instructors. Personally I feel indebted to the MEE and MPT instructors. They really set me up for success. And ALL the Kaplan instructors still haunt my dreams.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats on passing your bar exam! We're so proud of you for all of the hard work you put in to achieve this goal.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan and for sharing this awesome news.

We wish you continued success in everything that you do!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

So, to cut to the chase, I took my state Bar Exam in July 2019 and passed my first time through. I used Kaplan as my test prep and could not be happier. The regional support, Anna and Ashley, were involved and helpful and responded (usually) within 24 hours of a question. If they didn't know the answer, they knew who did and put me in contact. To the best of my recollection, ALL of the instructors gave out their email address (most, if not all, were instructors at other law schools) and encouraged contact if you were confused or unsure... They were there to help.

Someone I want to mention specifically is Professor Chris **. He does a lot of review courses (so you will see his videos). I emailed him a few times regarding review and, as with Anna and Ashley, I got a response back very quickly and it was very succinct and clear (letting me know what I did right or wrong in my analysis). The course was detailed, inclusive, and does a great job of preparing you.

Now, you can't JUST do the course and think you will pass. You have to do the course and put in the work (such as reviewing the topic similarities and differences, writing the essays, and doing the MCQs). The course is designed to make you succeed. They have MCQ Banks so you can review hundreds or thousands of MCQs that represent what you will see on the bar, they will review your practice essays to make you a better writer, and, in my experience, the program helps you navigate through your weaker subject(s). I chose Kaplan on a classmate's recommendation and I am not disappointed!

Hi, Julius.

First, we want to say CONGRATS on passing the Bar! That's such exciting news. :)

Your hard work and dedication paid off, and we're so proud of you. (I know that Chris, Anna, and Ashely will be proud of you, too when I share this with them.)

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us on your experience.

We wish you continued success in all that you do.

-Kendra from Kaplan

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Is a good program but choose what you need, I have problems with being social, anxiety and depression and choose the on center course, know I'm in a CTS class, I don't know anyone and has to be 2 hours feeling bad here, and this will be like that for 10 months... If I could go back in time I would choose only the Q bank or maybe online classes.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Jose. Thank you so much for reaching out and providing some excellent feedback. We don't want you to feel uncomfortable in your course because that could potentially have negative impacts on your studies. Let's see if we can switch you into one of our online courses, but I'll need to view your account to make sure I have all the information I need to help you make an informed decision. Send us an email at nxtsocial@kaplan.com with your email address. We're here for you!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I was having some issues with my order, so I made a call to customer service. I spoke to a customer service representative named Ramsha and she was very helpful. She was able to take care of everything that I needed with minimal inconvenience. She reflected on the company very well and made me feel much more comfortable with my purchase than I would have been without making the call.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. I genuinely appreciate reading all the positive experiences our students have with our agents.

Ramsha is an excellent agent who believes in the importance of going out of her way to make sure she assist with any issue she's presented. Let's say she's one of the all-stars in the office.

Thank you so much for leaving this fantastic review. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any additional questions or concerns. We're always here to make sure you get the help you need.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

I took Kaplan for the California bar exam and just received my pass letter! I’m so ecstatically happy! They have the best teachers who explain the material in the most effective way possible, especially Chris **! If you’re planning on taking the bar without taking classes led by Chris **, you’re doing yourself the biggest disservice. The program itself is organized in a way that saves you a lot of time in planning your course of study. Just follow all instructions, put the work in and Kaplan will get you your Bar passage! Will definitely take the Kaplan course again when I need to take the Bar in another state!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Josette! I'm Bryan. Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. Congratulations on passing the California Bar. This is such an exciting time for you, and we're glad we were able to help make your goal a reality. Chris is going to be ecstatic to hear another student of his passing their bar. We'll be here to help you with any Bar state. We're only a message away! Have a great rest of your weekend, and thank you so much for choosing our Bar program.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

The immersive bar prep course that allowed us to ask questions during the live lectures from our homes was invaluable and all the instructors were outstanding. The Kaplan method is sound, I followed it to the letter, and it worked...I passed the CA bar exam on my first attempt! THANK YOU KAPLAN.

Hi Brian,

I'm super excited to hear that you had a fantastic experience. Our Bar Regional Directors are cheesing from ear to ear reading about your experience. Congratulations on passing on the first attempt.

That's a true testament to your hard work. We provided strategies and materials. You're the one who took advantage of the information and knocked it out of the ballpark. Congratulations on everything. Please let us know if we can do anything else for you.

--Bryan, Social Media

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Resolving resetting of Kaplan GRE Practice Test 3. Although I had to interact with 3 customer service representatives, my issue was resolved to my satisfaction in a diligent and competent manner. It seems that there was a queuing for being attended, but, as always, Kaplan support saved the day! :)

Kaplan Test Prep response

We're always happy to help! Thanks for the review, Francisco. We'll be here for you if you ever need any additional assistance.

- Eddie from Kaplan

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs