2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I purchased the online Kaplan course for the MCAT in October 2019. My Kaplan's online access was going to expire in 10 days. My test date was not until April. I chatted with a representative named Kiarra. Before and during the course, I suffered from neurological issues following a concussion in August. It caused a seizure a month after (not during the course). I asked for an extension to access my online resources because I am not taking the MCAT until April. Each 7-day extension was $75. Since I am not testing until late April, I would have had to pay over $1,000 to extend my online access to course-related material such as the Q-Bank, helpful videos, etc. I mentioned to Kiarra that I would provide medical documentation proving what occurred and the subsequent diagnoses and symptoms from my physician. The concussion and subsequent symptoms prevented me from taking full advantage of Kaplan's online resources.

Since this was an extenuating circumstance, Kiarra had to verify a few things to assist me better. After a few minutes, Kiarra said she was able to speak with someone, and Kaplan graciously extended my online access until my test date in April. They did not ask me to provide any proof of my medical documents to verify my medical issues. Kaplan was very helpful and understanding. They DID NOT request any medical documentation, even though I offered to share it. Kaplan made me feel even better knowing that my medical information would remain private. Kaplan is genuinely an excellent company for test prep, and they were extremely accommodating in helping me extend my access until my test date. If you have any questions, concerns, inquiries, Kaplan's customer support is superior to other companies providing test prep!

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. Reading reviews like yours puts a smile on my face. We work hard to make sure that our agents have the tools they need to make the best decisions with the information you provide them. We're so glad that your health was made a priority and that we were able to get you the time you needed to prepare properly. We're always here to help you. We're glad to hear that you're doing better. We wish you nothing but the best, and we look forward to helping you with anything else you may need.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I am writing to recommend Kaplan Bar Review. I am a repeat bar taker and I have Cerebral Palsy. As a result of my Cerebral Palsy, I am unable to use my own hands to write out the essay and MPT portions of the exam. I am able to complete the essay and MPT portions of the exam through the use of a non-lawyer scribe. My medical issues do not end with having Cerebral Palsy. A few days after I signed up for my February 2019 bar prep course, I was scheduled to undergo surgery. The night before surgery, I remember Professor ** e-mailing me to wish me well. I remember feeling so touched that I thought to myself… Kaplan is MY prep course. Professor ** was even kind enough to check on me after surgery!

In addition to the regular course, I did the full tutoring package, which was the BEST DECISION EVER. Before the tutoring package, I thought my essays and MPT’s were already stellar. I WAS WRONG. I knew the rules and how to apply them, but needed help with structure. Since I could not write out the essays or MPTs, my tutor Leona would very patiently sit with me on the phone and we would do the essays and MPTS orally over the phone. By the way, during the time that I was studying for the exam, I had TWO kidney stones. I also had a virus during the exam. I STILL PASSED. My goal in writing this review is to illustrate the following three things:

1. NOTHING is impossible even in the worst of circumstances.
    2. Life does not stop because of bar prep.

3. With Kaplan, you WILL pass and get through life during bar prep.

Thank you Professor ** and Leona. I am FOREVER grateful. #KAPLAN #Konfidence!

Sincerely,

LK

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, there. This review touched my heart, and I'm beyond happy to hear all the fantastic things that happened. First, I want to say congratulations on passing your Bar. Your circumstances are incredibly inspirational, and you took full advantage of every hurdle that came your way. I wish you nothing but a prosperous life, and I'm extremely honored to hear that you were able to use the tools we provided to achieve your goals. This is a true testament to your hard work and dedication.

Get buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I would like to commend the Bar Prep provided by Kaplan. I am an Attorney from Israel, doing mostly criminal defense work with a mixture of private cases and public defender cases. I came over to NY and took an In Class Kaplan Bar Review with additional LLM materials provided. I followed the plan and was greatly helped by the feedback of graders and of lecturers especially the brilliant Christopher **. Midway through the course 1 month out from the Bar Exam my Dad suddenly passed away without any notice, forcing me to drop everything totally for 2 weeks at a very crucial point in the course.

Kaplan reps reached out to me and made clear that they would help me out if I needed to postpone taking the exam. I decided to come back and work as hard as possible and give it a try, feeling that if nothing else I would learn more for another time. Mid term MBE was 105 and Final 118, so I was a bit worried going into the Bar. Also did Emmanuel's MBE, to get another type of questions.

Yesterday the NY Bar results came through. Even though I had convinced myself that I most likely had failed, ** told me after the exam to keep my head high...and there I was surprised get the great news, I passed with enough to waive into all the other UBE jurisdictions across the country! I greatly appreciated the personal touch I received from the Kaplan graders, lecturers and course guides, this quick response and kindness make a very real difference. In particular the video lectures that ** provides at the very end of the course after the final MBE are great and I am sure it helped get some extra points. Shalom.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats, H! That's great news to hear, and we couldn't be more proud.

Thank you for choosing Kaplan to help you reach this goal. We're grateful to have been able to help. :)

On behalf of Kaplan and the entire Bar Review Team, we wish you the very best with all of your future endeavors!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I found out this week that I passed the Alabama bar exam—thank you Kaplan! For those about to enter the process of bar review, expect to experience a lot of doubt throughout your studying. Managing that doubt is really what the game was all about for me. What I really love about KBR is that they don’t give you guarantees like “you will pass if you do x, y, and z” (you’ve probably heard the balogna about “if you do 2,000 MBE questions you will pass”). Instead they tell you what successful test takers do and they give you every tool to do it.

Of course that can be frustrating at times because we all wish we could just check the block and feel like we’ve done the minimum so we’re good, but that’s just not going to work for the bar exam. Kaplan takes the approach of giving you the real confidence based on hard work and experience. And they explain WHY they approach it the way they do which I thought was awesome—because at the end of the day I was the guy who had to sit down and take the test so I was the ultimate decisionmaker about how I would spend my time.

Anyway, just got my score report back yesterday and I’m really amazed how well my scores on the MBE portion line up with my MBE practice in bar review. My overall MBE scaled score tracked perfectly with my Kaplan final MBE practice test score. And it’s no wonder: the real MBE questions looked extremely familiar after thousands of Kaplan MBE practice questions. And to be honest, Kaplan gave me every reason to know I was going to crush the MBE.

But let’s talk about the doggone essay portion—ie the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE) and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT). For me the essays were the most frustrating part of both bar review and the actual test experience. I absolutely hated the MPT because I am a slow typed and a slow thinker and I was really worried I couldn’t pull it off. But I put the practice in and made myself suffer through the bad scores and feeling like I should have done better.

Then the night before the MPT and MEE I could not sleep—so that wasn’t cool. But one of the Kaplan instructors had mentioned that might happen (I thought “yeah, not me buddy, Imma sleep like a baby”), but he told us to remember that we were prepared and to dig deep. So that’s what I did. And when I opened up that MPT book in the morning all I could focus on was the fundamentals that Kaplan had drilled into me. Then lunch break, quick nap in the car, caffeine then back to the grind with the MEEs.

Now chances are a lot of stuff I typed on those essays was complete bunk, but I focused and applied Kaplan’s process and I was able to spot and prioritize the big stuff and FINISH—even if it wasn’t pretty. And it worked. My performance on the essay portion was even better than my MBE performance. Now I’m planning my trip down to Montgomery for the bar admission ceremony.

One little postscript: When you start Kaplan bar review you are gonna hear all about the Chuck Norris of bar review, Chris Fromm. “Wow, Chris Fromm...he’s a genius...yada yada...Chris Fromm, Chris Fromm.” So yeah Chris Fromm is the dude—you’ll just have to see for yourself. And, yes, after watching the eleven hour one-man show entitled “MBE Practice Exam Review,” Mr. Fromm may haunt your dreams. But just wait until the sequel. Anyway, I’ve got to give some respect to all the other awesome instructors. Personally I feel indebted to the MEE and MPT instructors. They really set me up for success. And ALL the Kaplan instructors still haunt my dreams.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Congrats on passing your bar exam! We're so proud of you for all of the hard work you put in to achieve this goal.

Thanks for choosing Kaplan and for sharing this awesome news.

We wish you continued success in everything that you do!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

So, to cut to the chase, I took my state Bar Exam in July 2019 and passed my first time through. I used Kaplan as my test prep and could not be happier. The regional support, Anna and Ashley, were involved and helpful and responded (usually) within 24 hours of a question. If they didn't know the answer, they knew who did and put me in contact. To the best of my recollection, ALL of the instructors gave out their email address (most, if not all, were instructors at other law schools) and encouraged contact if you were confused or unsure... They were there to help.

Someone I want to mention specifically is Professor Chris **. He does a lot of review courses (so you will see his videos). I emailed him a few times regarding review and, as with Anna and Ashley, I got a response back very quickly and it was very succinct and clear (letting me know what I did right or wrong in my analysis). The course was detailed, inclusive, and does a great job of preparing you.

Now, you can't JUST do the course and think you will pass. You have to do the course and put in the work (such as reviewing the topic similarities and differences, writing the essays, and doing the MCQs). The course is designed to make you succeed. They have MCQ Banks so you can review hundreds or thousands of MCQs that represent what you will see on the bar, they will review your practice essays to make you a better writer, and, in my experience, the program helps you navigate through your weaker subject(s). I chose Kaplan on a classmate's recommendation and I am not disappointed!

Hi, Julius.

First, we want to say CONGRATS on passing the Bar! That's such exciting news. :)

Your hard work and dedication paid off, and we're so proud of you. (I know that Chris, Anna, and Ashely will be proud of you, too when I share this with them.)

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us on your experience.

We wish you continued success in all that you do.

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I had a very complex situation concerning my enrollment with a Kaplan course, and Mauricio spent an entire hour on the phone helping me with my situation. As I work in a customer service related field too, I know how busy and complex certain scenarios can be. But Mauricio truly helped me in the most amazing way, and offered me all the help I needed and more to have a successful chance at mastering the OAT. He truly didn't need to do all this, but some people really go above and beyond the call of duty, and it's more than I can describe how nice it is to be the one to receive this gift. A big thank you to Mauricio and your team!! And I truly hope Mauricio and his team have bright things ahead!! :)

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have went through Kaplan Financial for all current insurance license I hold. This school has assisted me in successfully passing all four lines of insurance...I am an agent of. I give them 10 thumbs up. Thank you, Kaplan.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I just wanted to give a quick nod to Kiarra W, who helped me resolve a billing issue with my Kaplan account. It’s always a nice surprise to find great customer service, especially in the time of COVID when everyone is stretched so thin. But over 4 days and 3 forms of communication Kiarra thoughtfully and thoroughly investigated my issue. She followed up exactly when she said she would, and found a simple solution. The mistake was totally mine and totally dumb, but she couldn’t have been nicer about it. Thanks Kiarra!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Kaplan offers a free TOEFL practice test, but if you'd like a review for your speaking and listening section, you would pay GBP10.00 each. This is a scam! I have been stuck on question 13 of the listening section for the past 14 DAYS. The worst part is that the timer doesn't stop counting down. There are no cancel or pause buttons available, so I was unable to skip to the writing section. I have been emailing them for two weeks, and I have done everything that they have advised me: use Mozilla Firefox instead of Google Chrome and clear my history. I have also rebooted my entire computer system; I deleted all my apps and reinstalled them; I restarted the computer at least 10 times a day. I was frustrated. They are slow with their replies, even on Instagram (because that's how desperate I was).

You see, my exam was on July 1st; I would have no access to the reviews or questions that I was working on after July 1st. Therefore, on June 27th, after ten days of dealing with this bogus BS, I emailed requesting a GBP20.00 refund. "Surprisingly", they did not reply to any of these emails of mine, and trust me, I have sent plenty of them because they have this policy where you can only request a refund before you lose access to your products.

It is July 2nd today, and they still have not replied to any of my emails. They did reply to me on Instagram on JULY 1st, stating that because this test was originally FREE, they cannot refund me GBP20.00, even though their product DOES NOT WORK! It is so weird that they only replied to me after my access date with the words "We're sorry to hear that you're having issues accessing the content. We recommend using Mozilla Firefox when accessing online resources. We also suggest clearing your history, cookies, and cache in your browser." Keep in mind, I have already told them that I've tried everything before this message.

This is a scam! I am just a student under a scholarship. Before the pandemic, I worked part-time jobs just to try to alleviate my parents from any money problems as best as I could. Thus, you can see why GBP20.00 matter to me. Not only is this is a scam but it is immoral for them to not take responsibility. It is their fault, and somehow I have to bear the burden of not only GBP20.00 but the hours wasted, which I could have used to focus on my TOEFL exam. I am extremely, incredibly, and utterly DISAPPOINTED.

My advice: Don't use this service of theirs. "Why not add Speaking and/or Writing review to your free practice too? All available from as little as £10. Find out how, as you get access to the free TOEFL Practice Test." They might say as little as GBP 10.00, but trust me, all you get out of GBP10 or GBP20 is a wasted time, unnecessary worries, super slow and bad response (service), and a whole lot of anger.

Original review: April 30, 2020

They seem to put very little effot into the quality of the products. Their training is bare minimum. They tend to put most of their effort into advertising and misleading the consumer. That being said, they do provide a product, but the product does not provide the results as promised. For example, they had advertised their program as a program that would effectively train you to score a high score for IELTS. I took the practice test. They gave me a score and explanations for each answer. When I signed up, the program did not bring the value it had promised. You could easily buy an IELTS book from a thrift store and it would still have more value. The 4 prep tests they promise are not graded and they give you an answer key with no explanations.

The videos they provide could easily be found on YouTube. The training for writing and listening is just as bad. They give one short example of how someone should write their essay. There is no explanation analyzing why this format is correct. Then for the homework you are told to write your own essay about a general question and to find someone who is educated and understands English to grade this writing for you. This same advice could easily be found by googling how to prepare for the writing portion of IELTS. Nothing special. Do not waste $60.00 on a falsely advertised product. This is worth no more than $15.00 at best. You would be better off searching youtube and google for the same generic advice and material.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Nicholas, thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Our priority is to make sure our students get the best resources available so that they can feel ready for test day.

We want to connect with you to learn how we can help and make sure you're getting the most out of our prep as well as answer all of your questions.

We have sent a private message and look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Kaplan Test Prep author review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team