2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Kaplan Test Prep Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Kaplan. Do not use this company. First sold me a course that was not uploaded. They loaded a class that was political and biased. Called DBPR and they said they did not approve that class. Kaplan said they would refund my money 6 weeks ago. Still didn’t receive credit and they NEVER answer phones or emails. I used CE Cheap after. Fantastic. Kaplan is terrible.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I had a very complex situation concerning my enrollment with a Kaplan course, and Mauricio spent an entire hour on the phone helping me with my situation. As I work in a customer service related field too, I know how busy and complex certain scenarios can be. But Mauricio truly helped me in the most amazing way, and offered me all the help I needed and more to have a successful chance at mastering the OAT. He truly didn't need to do all this, but some people really go above and beyond the call of duty, and it's more than I can describe how nice it is to be the one to receive this gift. A big thank you to Mauricio and your team!! And I truly hope Mauricio and his team have bright things ahead!! :)

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have went through Kaplan Financial for all current insurance license I hold. This school has assisted me in successfully passing all four lines of insurance...I am an agent of. I give them 10 thumbs up. Thank you, Kaplan.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I just wanted to give a quick nod to Kiarra W, who helped me resolve a billing issue with my Kaplan account. It’s always a nice surprise to find great customer service, especially in the time of COVID when everyone is stretched so thin. But over 4 days and 3 forms of communication Kiarra thoughtfully and thoroughly investigated my issue. She followed up exactly when she said she would, and found a simple solution. The mistake was totally mine and totally dumb, but she couldn’t have been nicer about it. Thanks Kiarra!

Original review: July 2, 2020

Kaplan offers a free TOEFL practice test, but if you'd like a review for your speaking and listening section, you would pay GBP10.00 each. This is a scam! I have been stuck on question 13 of the listening section for the past 14 DAYS. The worst part is that the timer doesn't stop counting down. There are no cancel or pause buttons available, so I was unable to skip to the writing section. I have been emailing them for two weeks, and I have done everything that they have advised me: use Mozilla Firefox instead of Google Chrome and clear my history. I have also rebooted my entire computer system; I deleted all my apps and reinstalled them; I restarted the computer at least 10 times a day. I was frustrated. They are slow with their replies, even on Instagram (because that's how desperate I was).

You see, my exam was on July 1st; I would have no access to the reviews or questions that I was working on after July 1st. Therefore, on June 27th, after ten days of dealing with this bogus BS, I emailed requesting a GBP20.00 refund. "Surprisingly", they did not reply to any of these emails of mine, and trust me, I have sent plenty of them because they have this policy where you can only request a refund before you lose access to your products.

It is July 2nd today, and they still have not replied to any of my emails. They did reply to me on Instagram on JULY 1st, stating that because this test was originally FREE, they cannot refund me GBP20.00, even though their product DOES NOT WORK! It is so weird that they only replied to me after my access date with the words "We're sorry to hear that you're having issues accessing the content. We recommend using Mozilla Firefox when accessing online resources. We also suggest clearing your history, cookies, and cache in your browser." Keep in mind, I have already told them that I've tried everything before this message.

This is a scam! I am just a student under a scholarship. Before the pandemic, I worked part-time jobs just to try to alleviate my parents from any money problems as best as I could. Thus, you can see why GBP20.00 matter to me. Not only is this is a scam but it is immoral for them to not take responsibility. It is their fault, and somehow I have to bear the burden of not only GBP20.00 but the hours wasted, which I could have used to focus on my TOEFL exam. I am extremely, incredibly, and utterly DISAPPOINTED.

My advice: Don't use this service of theirs. "Why not add Speaking and/or Writing review to your free practice too? All available from as little as £10. Find out how, as you get access to the free TOEFL Practice Test." They might say as little as GBP 10.00, but trust me, all you get out of GBP10 or GBP20 is a wasted time, unnecessary worries, super slow and bad response (service), and a whole lot of anger.

Original review: April 30, 2020

They seem to put very little effot into the quality of the products. Their training is bare minimum. They tend to put most of their effort into advertising and misleading the consumer. That being said, they do provide a product, but the product does not provide the results as promised. For example, they had advertised their program as a program that would effectively train you to score a high score for IELTS. I took the practice test. They gave me a score and explanations for each answer. When I signed up, the program did not bring the value it had promised. You could easily buy an IELTS book from a thrift store and it would still have more value. The 4 prep tests they promise are not graded and they give you an answer key with no explanations.

The videos they provide could easily be found on YouTube. The training for writing and listening is just as bad. They give one short example of how someone should write their essay. There is no explanation analyzing why this format is correct. Then for the homework you are told to write your own essay about a general question and to find someone who is educated and understands English to grade this writing for you. This same advice could easily be found by googling how to prepare for the writing portion of IELTS. Nothing special. Do not waste $60.00 on a falsely advertised product. This is worth no more than $15.00 at best. You would be better off searching youtube and google for the same generic advice and material.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi Nicholas, thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Our priority is to make sure our students get the best resources available so that they can feel ready for test day.

We want to connect with you to learn how we can help and make sure you're getting the most out of our prep as well as answer all of your questions.

We have sent a private message and look forward to hearing back.

-Kendra

Original review: April 16, 2020

Kiarra from the live chat was extremely helpful. She helped me figure out where and why I didn't have my books and was able to talk to her manager and shipping in order to figure it out. She was diligent and made sure the email she had was a good one to reach me with and she also explained how to log into the online sessions very well. Overall she was patient, polite, and very helpful in resolving my questions and concerns.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, August! Thanks for your review. We're happy that Kiarra was able to be so helpful when you chatted in.

I'll be sure to pass these compliments on to her and her manager. :)

If you ever need anything at all, please feel free to reach out. We've got your back!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: April 14, 2020

Working in "Practice Set 3: Inequalities." I found a typo within the correct answer choice provided by the author and the actual correct answer choice. The problem was: 6x-9≥7x-5. By solving this with "inverse operations" as the text states, you will come to the answer of -4 with its corresponding answer being C. The answer provided in the "Answer Key" and the "Answers & Explanations" state that the answer is D,-2. Though the "Strategic Advice" is correct in its explanation when solving the problem efficiently.

Kaplan Test Prep response

Hi, Eleanore. We appreciate you taking the time to review our book. I'm sorry to hear you may have found an error. Our goal is to provide the best and most accurate prep out there, so we want to help! I've sent you a private message with the link to corrections as well as contact information for our book support team.

We're here for you, Eleanore!

-Kendra from Kaplan

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I signed up for the life prep course and it requires 20 hours of classroom time. Their website says study from anywhere using your laptop, tablet or phone. Well this is not true if you have a time study requirement. They know their time tracking system does not work if you are not hard wired into the internet yet they do not inform their customers of this requirement. They point to a frequently asked questions page that says not all functions work with tablets or phones. I think they should be required to specifically tell their customers that their time tracking feature does not work unless hard wired. That would be the ethical thing to do. Perhaps they should take their own ethics class. When I called to complain their solution was log in with a wired connection and change a page every 10 minutes to account for the time that did not track. RIDICULOUS!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I was originally enrolled within a Kaplan Test Prep course, that was focused on preparation of the LSAT(Law School Admission Test). Before having the opportunity to utilize this resource, I was unfortunately faced with an incredible personal obstacle, of finding out that a close family member was diagnosed with colon cancer. As a result I had to withdrawal from my classes, despite my dilemma, the Kaplan Customer Care respondent Ramsha was incredibly helpful, understanding, patient, and interpersonal. I was completely thankful for her incredible professionalism, etiquette, and interpersonal nature. Ramsha does an incredible job embodying what it means to be a representative of Kaplan Test Prep. She really came to my aid when I was in my moment of distress, and I am grateful for her intervention.

Hi Salem,

Thank you for writing such a beautiful message about Ramsha. We love hearing positive words from our students when it comes to our representatives. We work hard to provide our agents with the tools to be successful. It means the world to us knowing that your experience was a positive one and that she left a substantial impression on you. Please don't ever hesitate to reach out to us if you need us.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

-Kaplan Test Prep