Consumer Complaints and Reviews
I started the school five months from today. They took forever to let me start my program. They didn't give me all my credits and wouldn't talk to me about the bad reviews they have about being fraudulent. I stopped paying because I lost my job. They sent my information to a 3rd party debt collectors by the name of USCB (570)876-6309. I called them. They told me they were unaware of the school being fraudulent and I still had to pay them in full or they would report to the credit bureau. I only wanted to complete high school. This is so unfair to us. Can someone please help me with this situation.
First of all, the teacher who speak to you through the phone catch attitude with you. I needed help and I asked them questions and they got an attitude with me. They took forever to put in my transcript and they have no manner way to speak to you. The school is **. I wish I would have never got in the school in the first place. They made me pay for work I have not started. Please do not waste your time in this dumb school. They expect me to pay but yet, can't even help me.
In March 2016 I signed my son with this school. I was told he would be able to take his credits earned from his previous public school and finish out the year getting his credits where he left off. After first payment and 2 weeks of waiting they finally opened a course, yes just one course, then they sent an email three weeks later that they've reviewed his classes and only one was accredited. So they edited his transcript, then when I called and asked why he was only getting one course at a time they tell me that's how they work and when I replied with "that's what y'all told me," they hang up on you.
So I called back asking to withdraw him and they tell me I can't without paying them another 459.95. Seriously? He hasn't started anything but their damn orientation and I've already paid 150, so now they refuse to give his transcripts to me and are threatening to sue me for the 459.95 they claim I owe. I tried pulling him on four different occasions and they refused to let me and then a total of 3.5 weeks later I do and now they're suing me!
I signed up for this school at around $1000 and paid in full. I was delayed in finishing due to life. And now when I call to finish they tell me I must pay them an additional fee of around $250 since the tuition fee has gone up. How does that matter when I already paid and this is an at your time program. I'm not signing up today or had a balance. They also will not take my high school credits towards the program. I was shy only 5 credits from graduating yet they want me to repeat the entire grade. They have also since I signed up changed the amount of credits needed to pass to more and say I now have to fall under those terms. Then how is this an at your time program. This means if you don't finish before they change their program then you just can never finish or stop paying them. THIS SCHOOL IS A SCAM!!! STAY FAR AWAY!!!
I attended James Madison for over a year, I had one more course to take and I went through a financial disaster leaving me to file bankruptcy. I could not afford the monthly payment any longer. I have since enrolled in a local school in Phoenix Az and James Madison will not release the classes I completed, so I have to start all over again when I had a zero balance owed because of my BK.
How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Madison High School?
- 594,379 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
I would like to warn other parents and/or potential adult students about this institution. The computer that grades the exams has "glitches" (the exact word used by a school representative). SEVERAL times now, I have checked the results of an exam my son turned in and found the system marked a CORRECT question as INCORRECT. Once it happened to 2 questions in one exam. These circumstances were not a "judgement call"... The school tutor agreed that my son's answers were absolutely correct and gave him credit for them, explaining that "this sometimes happens. The computer is not perfect. It has glitches".
So now, after each exam my son turns in, I have to take the time to check that the computer graded it correctly... Imagine that! I PAID for the service of grading my son's exams for a fair grade and still I have to do the legwork of making sure my son's grades are graded accurately! I am glad he is almost done this high school course! My daughter starts homeschool high school this Sept. and James Madison will NOT be getting me as a return customer!!
ConsumerAffairs Research Team
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
James Madison High School is a self-paced school that provides full academic support including teacher support, a blog and a question and answer forum. James Madison is an accredited school and has graduated tens of thousands of students.
- Flexible payment options: Students can take single courses for a low fee or use the monthly payment option, which is interest and finance charge free.
- Accreditation: James Madison is a nationally and regionally accredited online high school. National accreditation comes from the Distance Education Accrediting Commission and regional accreditation is granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).
- Year-round enrollment: Classes do not have a definitive start and end date and are truly self-paced. Students do not have to adhere to school scheduling.
- Transfer credits: Students can save on tuition by transferring qualifying credits from other high schools.
- Academic support: James Madison offers academic support through the use of tutors, peer support and online support courses. In addition, teachers are available for questions through the Ask Your Teacher forum that is part of each course.
- Best for Students with other commitments, home-schooled students, working adults and military families.
Compare Online High Schools
James Madison High School Company Profile
- Company Name:
- James Madison High School
- Year Founded:
- 6625 The Corners Parkway, Suite 500
- Postal Code:
- United States