Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.73/5

James Madison High School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Madison High School?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Madison High School?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

They will lie to you and tell you they can help with children that have special needs. They don't have anything in place for this at all. They just want money. Should have looked at the reviews first. I am very disappointed. I will be reporting them to the BBB. They just take advantage of people and want to be paid when there is nothing in place for someone with special needs. The salesperson assured me there was a program for kids with disabilities. I hope I can help someone else avoid this terrible experience.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I AM SHOCKED OF ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS!!!! My daughter has been in this program for 2 years. She was unable to attend regular high school due to anxiety so she only had one single credit after 2 years of inconsistent attendance. At this point, she is 50% done and has a 3.43 average in this online program. Some classes are tough. Sometimes she gets it done consistently, sometimes she does not. There is plenty of help available and many many tools to learn. Sometimes she needs assistance from myself or a sibling, as with any other schooling. I am so happy this choice was available for us. I have had 3 courses open at once with a simple request. We have never had a grading issues and there is even 2 chances to take the exams. Staff has been very nice in every instance and you get 6 years to complete the program. Not sure what anyone is complaining about. I wholeheartedly give 5 stars.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Going to be brief and quick. We live in California, where everything is high and inflated. It's just my high schooler and I. My daughter works 5-8+ a wk while also sickly, we decided an online school would be much more flexible and less stress. She transferred her credits over to this school. (Took them a month and a half to process so she would clear courses they didn't have to re-take. They only gave her HALF credit.) She was always a wonderful student that was always motivated for good grades. Boy, were we wrong about this school. My daughter doesn't make enough in a month to cover to full prices, so we worked together on paying for the courses so they would be on time. She devoted herself to doing multiple classes a day and finish courses in weeks.

They advertise you can "work at your own pace", but you actually have to wait for them to grade so they can unlock the next steps. Who knows how long that will take. Found out they were robbing over $200 from me monthly though I opted in for the $29 a month. The school deleted her courses (literally, after an update) and told her she was just going to have to do it all over again. The staff are rude, and hard to reach. We both had to keep fighting her these charges and wrong grades, etc. They were ** and unprofessional. They always told us they could've fix certain problems and we'd have to wait. Can't even talk to their management directly. It was even hard to reach the teachers who took days to weeks to reply at most.

The school portal was always buggy and she liked keeping many resources open for her exams and quizzes, except for the school to keep kicking her out. We both became frustrated. The school really killed her ego. All she wanted to do was to graduate early so she could pursue her career. Her GPA was ruined after they rolled back all her work and she even got accused of cheating by a Science Teacher who still gave her a high grade and even though we already submitted proof. He couldn't go back and fix it. Anyway, instead of a 0.

My daughter even just gave up at some point and said she should be a dropout. I'm not letting this slide. They proceeded to "close out her courses" for collection, owing in $1,494, but after all the robbing, it adds up to more than $2,000 which is the full course fund. They said they kept contacting us, never did. I had to update this info TWICE. I guess they're just so lazy and making us look suspect. Thinking about taking legal action.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was going to enroll my son but never signed the enrollment agreement. I had been charged $29. I found a school close to home so decided not to put him in JMHS. I called to cancel and they are saying I owe $285 to complete the cancellation. What? I keep calling and they are saying that they will credit me my $29 back to my card and that I owe nothing. They keep lying. I just woke up and checked my emails. I have one saying that they are sending me to collections because I haven't paid the $285. Now I have to call and speak to someone again this morning. Unbelievable! I didn't even sign the enrollment agreement. There is a lot more I can say with this experience but it will take too long. Long story short, DO NOT TRUST THIS SCHOOL OR ANYTHING THE PEOPLE SAY, IT'S ALL A BUNCH OF LIES! I have only been in contact with this school for less than a month and have all these problems.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I called for information and she was going to walk me through watching a video of how it works. Call dropped. I called back and a guy answers. I told him I was talking to a lady and he said he would help me, I was going to have to go through all the info again. She calls back, I click over to tell him, she called me back. I click back to her and she is not there. The call didn't hang up, It was like I was on hold. I waited 2 minutes before hanging up. I called back to ask for her, the guy said he could help. I repeatedly told him, I wanted to talk to Jessica and he told me she went out to lunch. Excuse me? I was just on the phone with her. He continues to say he can help me.

I asked him if they get some kind of commission getting people enrolled, he beated around the bush with no actual answer. I asked him how she ran to lunch so quick within a moment of switching over to tell the guy that she had called back, which only takes 10 seconds. His reply was, "Well she is on the other line." I questioned more, "well I don't know, she just isn't at her desk." I told him I didn't want to do business with him, I would leave my number and she could call me back. Felt like trying to steal someone out from under another person. I wanted her to know what he was doing. She never called back so either he didn't pass the number or she really wasn't interested.

MY opinion is they are like vultures to get your money, nowhere on the site can I find a list of classes they offer. I asked repeated if they teach Algebra 1 and 2. I cannot get a straight answer or find it on the page. I am going to continue to search. I really wish Connections academy had a program here. They were wonderful when my kids were in middle school. My kids had online classes where they could chat live, work online, tutor, easy to turn in, actual field trips with the other students and teacher. My daughter actually skipped all of middle school and tested into high school when I put her back in school. I hope I can find something because my son wants his diploma not a GED.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

There are hefty enrollment fees. Transferring credits from public high schools takes 7-10 business days, but you only have 5 days to cancel or you are hit with a $225 cancellation charge. The school is not accredited, so students will not receive a diploma and will still need to take a high school equivalency test. Coursework is mediocre.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We were in between houses and were staying with my parents. We needed an in-between option for my high schooler. I contacted this school and asked if it was possible to enroll for just the time that we were in-between homes. They told me not a problem and that I could cancel at any time without financial implications. When I called to cancel when we moved I was told that no I could not cancel and that we were going to have to pay for the entire school year and that if I didn't pay they would send my bill to collections. That aside my daughter was never able to access all of her classes and the textbooks took months to arrive. Do not touch this school.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

This online school is really not prepared to do online school. The video content is broken in many cases, will not play, when it plays it is blurry, in one of the classes the teacher apologize for not getting video to work. We saw all this in a couple of weeks and decided it's not for us. I'm still getting emails they want us to pay them anyways. I recommend you look for something other than this school.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

There is always a different excuse when contacting them in regards to my diploma which has been finished months ago. First, the counselor said, “Congratulations on finishing. We are just waiting for the final payment.” Now it’s failed classes, attitude after attitude, dropped my GPA, and they will ignore my ticket submissions requesting as little as my transcripts. I’ve told them countless amounts of times to stop having me do geometry as I’ve already failed and passed twice now. I have been putting my military career on hold for two years now because of their foolishness. Really wasted my time and money with this school. You’d think for as much money as I’ve been robbed for the least they could do is give me my diploma... Disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My son and I decided after his first year of high school this would be a better fit for him... HUGE MISTAKE. He regrets it and so do I. He had nothing but problems, the portal was constantly down, grades were wrong, waited weeks to over a month to get more classes when he finished everything. He finished last November and STILL NO DIPLOMA. Bottom line is he lost interest because he had to wait so long to get classes, fight about grades with them. There are much better options out there. $1200 is what I paid for the worst experience for both my son and I.

James Madison High School Company Information