2.59/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Capella University

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

37 Capella University Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I see a lot of bad reviews here; however, my experience with Capella was satisfactory. Studies literally ate up a year and a half of my life. There were several times I considered dropping out due to full time plus hours working as an RN and trying to fit study hours in. Thankfully through the flex path option I was able to stick with it and complete my BSN. It wasn't easy, but Capella helped me achieve a life and career goal. I would recommend Capella to other nurses pursuing their BSN.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I received my doctorate from Capella. The program is rigorous but rewarding. The coursework is relevant and the instructors I encountered were proficient. Obtaining a degree from Capella is NOT a walk on the park. My degree is highly respected by employers and peers.

Get expert buying tips about Online Criminal Justice Degree Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I spent 4.5 years pursuing my PhD in Information Technology with a specialization in Information Assurance and Security. The first two years were spent on coursework. The last 2.5 years was on the dissertation. My thoughts:

1. The coursework is relevant to a PhD. I have 20+ years in leadership in this field and the coursework was appropriate. If you have experience, you can take an accelerated path, reducing your time to complete coursework from about 2.5 years, to 2 years.

2. The dissertation is tough. I frown upon some of the experience that I and other learners had with the dissertation preparation residencies. Some of us felt a little jerked-around. But, there was a learning/growing process in that, to be perfectly honest. Writing the dissertation was hard for me - took 2.5 years. Several of my learners are still in "writing" mode. To be perfectly honest, this is more about how much focus the learner brings to writing the dissertation, than a reflection on Capella. They WILL let you "struggle" through it, to a degree, as your dissertation MUST be your own work. But if you hear complaints about the length of time to complete a dissertation, please know this is more because of lack of focus by the learner than something derogatory about Capella.

There are a lot of criticisms in these reviews. I experienced none of the problems that some people have written about with their "one star" rating. I recommend Capella to others. I recommend those that are pursuing a PhD that, when it becomes time to do residencies and the dissertation, to find that motivation/focus to knock it out. I think a dissertation could legitimately be completed, in most cases, in 9 months to a year. Not the 2.5 years it took me.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I would not recommend Capella to anyone. I investigated this school because my job offered scholarships. I signed up. Never got either scholarship. I got information from them late even though I signed up for financial aid one semester. Later I was hit with a 2500 fee. I took like one class. Super annoyed since I am in the process of buying a house and who needs that extra headache. I would say go anywhere else but here. The entire online set up is different than anything I have ever seen and a little confusing in the beginning. I am super mad. I wasted my time like I did not already have students loans I am currently paying on and now this.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I enrolled in Capella University in Nov.'17-Jul. '18. About a week or two ago, I start receiving phone calls from a third party company claiming to be contracted with Capella University to collect on students accounts. My student loan came from Navient and is now in a deferment. When I informed the representative of this he act like he didn't believe me. So I hung up. Last week, I received another call claiming the same thing. This time I didn't bother to respond, I just hung up the phone. How can Capella try to collect on a loan that don't have anything to do with them?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am in my final year of the MSC in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I have had two very bad experiences on the residencies. My first instructor was rude and picked on ** and disabled students. My second instructor was rude and appeared bigoted against foreigners. I made a complaint both times but nothing was upheld so these instructors think they can get away with anything. For the most part the instructoring is good enough but as I near the end of the MSC it has become repetitive and it feels like courses are just being 'strung out' to make a quick buck. I would avoid this university. It is for profit only.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Attended Capella for online RN to BSN program. My best friend had passed away so I did not log into my account for a few weeks but was under the impression that the class end date was not for a while still. I was informed when I logged in that I was removed from the class even though the class was not yet at the end date. I am now expected to pay an outstanding balance of 3500 dollars for a class I didn’t not even receive any credit for and they will not release any official transcripts so I can attend another school until I have paid the balance in full even though I have a payment plan set up with them to resolve this. I would highly recommend looking into other options for school. I would never recommend Capella to anyone

Original review: July 24, 2019

Called the business office at Capella University to discuss an outstanding balance on my daughter's account. Discovered that Capella has a policy of charging you for the tuition if you don't drop a class by a certain date. That's certainly understandable - but if you're changing degree programs and staying enrolled at the University it only makes sense that perhaps the University might allow you to transfer the tuition to another class. My daughter is a Veteran but the rep she spoke with named "Michael," lacked any common sense and when she asked for his supervisor she was denied access to one. I called back a few minutes later and again asked for Michael's supervisor -I believe that Capella University is only one deep in this department. My guess is that Michael is the only rep but don't take my word for it - just call 866-933-5994 and see for yourself. This is a degree mill - find a reputable university before enrolling here.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Worst school to deal with. I started school here and had to figure everything out on my own. After a semester, my wife lost her job and we moved states. I didn't attend for a year. When we settled, I started back up, but was forced to reenroll. I was then told that since I was still paying off my tuition from prior semester, I can't register for classes until late September (wasting whole summer semester). Due to timing, I enrolled at a different college to be able to continue with school faster. They are now refusing to release my transcript to my new school due to the same reason. I even offered to roll the remaining balance into my student loan, and they refused that too. Have been completely unwilling to even listen to my requests. Will definitely not be continuing my education here!

Original review: May 21, 2019

Capella has been dragging their feet in dispersing my financial aid for months now. I'm in the Flex-Path program (which has increased in price by several hundred dollars, twice, in the past year) and they are refusing to release either my grant or loan money to me. The financial aid department insists it's their policy to hold onto and to disburse in line with their billing sessions every 12 weeks (to ensure they get paid). I told them I don't want them collecting interest on the loan money I'm being charged interest on and they said, too bad that's their policy. I filed a complaint with FAFSA.

In a traditional setting, it is not legal for a college to hold grant money without express permission of the student (unless releasing half each semester). I've also had to call several times to get them working on the financial aid disbursement towards my balance because all their finances page says it the total amount with a small disclaimer stating that some financial aid funds may not have been applied yet. It's been over two months since financial aid was awarded.

Capella University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

• Best for: Those who are seeking advanced career training.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs