2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

3.3/5 (166 ratings)

About Capella University

Capella University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Terrible! They took $82K from me without even knowing about it with student loans so they could profit! I am getting a lawyer against Capella AND Nelnet. If you think after 15 years I am going to pay all of YOUR FRAUDULENT money back when I wasn't even able to graduate after seeing my bill, you're nuts. Guess what, my final bill? Look up top. I didn't go to school to be a Doctor. Fit the bill Capella AND NELNET! I will no longer be responsible.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

I am a recent graduate, but I have balance left to pay because of my academic advisor failed to informed me that the course I was taking was only 2 credits and that I needed to take a 1 credit course to get my financial aid, and this was a week after it was too late to add a course. So because of their mistake I am stuck with a balance and can't get my diploma or transcript until the balance is paid. My academic advisor was terrible, they never responded in a timely matter or if they did it was an automatic "I am out of the office this week" response which was 90% of the time. Of course they are quick to suggest you take out a loan to pay.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The enrollment process is lengthy. The ID verification system is glitched, which causes delay in getting through the initial application. The enrollment advisors don't seem to know what they are doing. Their system keeps emailing me 2 to 3 times a day to complete my enrollment application, each email coming from a different enrollment advisor. It's overkill and confusing to a new student as I don't know what is happening to the application. I wanted to do the Flex Path program but after waiting to get through the credit transfer process on the enrollment application, the enrollment advisor I've been working with mysteriously switched me over to the Guided Path program. If I were his employer, I would have fired him for this error, as it cost them a student.

Starting out with technical glitches and admissions errors like this is a big no-no. If you are a future student, I do hope you will read this review and run, don't walk, to another online university. This one simply doesn't have its act together. I missed seeing that only 12% of the students graduate. Glad I read that in other reviews before wasting my time and money here. If a university cannot even do something as simple as an enrollment application without technical errors and incorrect switching of programs without the applicant's approval, then the writing is already on the wall for what the educational experience will be like.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I attended Capella from Feb 2010 to the beginning of 2019. My mother had a stroke and, I had to take some time off to personally care for her, as she was bedridden. I spoke with their PhD advisor, through email correspondences. She told me that it would be best for me to take a leave and that if I was gone more than a year, I would just need to reapply. As I was in good standing, and at the Comps/Dissertation phase, it shouldn't be a problem. I reapplied last month and they immediately denied me, even though I followed their advice. They said that my time didn't stop while I had withdrawn. My question is: Who lied? Was it the advisor or those reviewing my application? I spent well over $150,000 on this degree and now I have nothing to show for it. Capella shares that they have a 12% graduation rate and, now, I see why. Avoid this expensive place like the PLAGUE!

Original review: June 7, 2021

Please do not attend this school. They left me 200 in debt. I was 90 percent done the program with a 3.6 GPA. My mentor did everything to get me out of the PhD program. She and Capella administration threw me out of the program for non legit reasons. I did not violate any policy. This experience left me financially devastated for life. They are not senior friendly. I am 65 and will die in debt. Do not go to this school.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I have an instructor in the undergrad psychology program that does not grade fairly. It is obvious she doesn't actually read through the papers and I have been held up due to this faculty's poor job for more than 3 weeks now. Capella advertises that Flex Path Learners have their papers graded within 2 business days. That is simply not true. You cannot pay one fee per semester and go at your own pace (which was the appeal of the program) if you can't get through the coursework because faculty isn't doing their job. Also, the support team has been of no help (up to this point), which I find to be really unethical.

They simply don't provide what they advertise and it will most likely end up costing me more money just to get through the classes all because a faculty member can't be bothered to do their job. Totally unacceptable for an educational institution. Don't believe what they advertise. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but Capella feels more like a money-making machine, than a institution of education.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I signed up with Capella at the beginning of 2020 for one class just as I lost my job to Covid. Got ahold of the advisor and she said I would be able to drop the class with no strings attached because of the change in circumstance and since I didn't actually do anything in the class yet. Took a bit to get in touch with the person who can cancel classes, but he said he didn't know how finances worked and that if she said it it was probably true.

A couple of months later I get a bill for $1600. I send out 30+ emails and get one response telling me to send an explanation to an email address I had sent 15+ emails to with no response. Phone calls go nowhere because they tell me to email this dead email address. Now I got a phone call from a collection agency saying I owe even more. This school might give out legit degrees, but making sure there is no way to back out isn't legit in the slightest. Definitely felt like I got scammed. Now even the collection agency is telling me to email this dead email. Don't waste your money going here.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I was dropped from a class in error, a technical problem. My counselor, and his supervisor both agreed and admitted that it was an error not on my part, but Capella. Now, I'm being unenrolled from the University and told that I have to pay for that class that I was dropped from in error, and my loans were sent back, and I can't be reenrolled or get financial aid unless and until the amount of that dropped class be paid in full, which I was never informed of how much that will be. After research, I found that this is a common situation with this school, and there is a class action lawsuit regarding this and similar situations. I'm going to join this lawsuit, and I have filed a claim with federal aid. This is a systematic problem that they have and their only way to deal with it is to have students pay out of pocket. This is unethical and criminal. JOIN THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

It has been a great experience for me at Capella University. But I believe that they need to get better at charging students for every mistake they make, because no-one is a robot and or perfect which makes me believe that they only care about money instead of the students well-being. I believe they should at least give students a fair chance when it comes to their studies, as far as a second or third chance at correcting certain assignments, due to people having a life outside of their studies, and or due to people being human not knowing how to due certain assignments upfront on the first try, even if there are videos and in class sessions to guide us through. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them, not getting things right on the first try. I hope this message goes far if anyone cares.

Original review: March 7, 2021

Truly, this has been one of the hardest things I have done, finally committing to finishing my degree in my 40's. I am so thankful Capella has been there along the way and helping me. Far from a diploma mill, and thank goodness or it wouldn't be accredited, the hard work is definitely paying off. I was able to finish my bachelor's after a decades-long absence in a year and now completing my Master's. Their support system is why I was able to be successful. From great professors to amazing online tools and even tutors, I have yet to find anyone exhausted from my pestering for help. It has been a great experience. I have no idea how it compares to other schools, but I would recommend Capella to any family or friend.

Capella University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

Capella University Company Information