2.74/5

31 Capella University Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 21, 2019

Worst school to deal with. I started school here and had to figure everything out on my own. After a semester, my wife lost her job and we moved states. I didn't attend for a year. When we settled, I started back up, but was forced to reenroll. I was then told that since I was still paying off my tuition from prior semester, I can't register for classes until late September (wasting whole summer semester). Due to timing, I enrolled at a different college to be able to continue with school faster. They are now refusing to release my transcript to my new school due to the same reason. I even offered to roll the remaining balance into my student loan, and they refused that too. Have been completely unwilling to even listen to my requests. Will definitely not be continuing my education here!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I received my doctorate from Capella. The program is rigorous but rewarding. The coursework is relevant and the instructors I encountered were proficient. Obtaining a degree from Capella is NOT a walk on the park. My degree is highly respected by employers and peers.

Get expert buying tips about Online Criminal Justice Degree Programs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Capella has been dragging their feet in dispersing my financial aid for months now. I'm in the Flex-Path program (which has increased in price by several hundred dollars, twice, in the past year) and they are refusing to release either my grant or loan money to me. The financial aid department insists it's their policy to hold onto and to disburse in line with their billing sessions every 12 weeks (to ensure they get paid). I told them I don't want them collecting interest on the loan money I'm being charged interest on and they said, too bad that's their policy. I filed a complaint with FAFSA.

In a traditional setting, it is not legal for a college to hold grant money without express permission of the student (unless releasing half each semester). I've also had to call several times to get them working on the financial aid disbursement towards my balance because all their finances page says it the total amount with a small disclaimer stating that some financial aid funds may not have been applied yet. It's been over two months since financial aid was awarded.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I completed my Master's Degree at Capella and thought I would continue on to my Ed. D, I completed all of the coursework with a 3.8 GPA. Then came the capstone project. This is done in 5 milestones, students get closer to finishing as you progress through these milestones. I was in 4 of 5 of my capstone 98% done with my doctorate and then the university tells me they no longer accept the research I was approved to do. They had me over a barrel so I started over and filed complaints along the way. I am now 3 weeks away from being dropped because I can't get past milestone 3 which I had already passed.

I spent in total 87k and will be dropped. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!! I don't care what you have read from anyone else. I am a veteran that was trying to move on and my beliefs are rooted in honesty and integrity I have no reason to lie about what happened. Interesting they are being sued in Federal Court for this very reason, check it out and then decide if this place is for you and your wallet.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I asked to speak with my instructor per her request, sent her an email requesting she call me. Have not heard back as of yet! My grades thus far are of a 3.6 gpa and rapidly progressing through the flex path program. I received a non performance and the feedback not accurate, and incredibly limited! According to the Rubric grading system I completed the questions and have never been told by any other instructors to include bulletpoints in my papers?! Nor does the instructions via the assignment say anything about it beforehand! The instructor was vague and my non performance grade is equivalent to a zero, this is unacceptable!

Also my profile picture does reflect that I am a woman of color, so not sure if that’s potentially the cause for a low score! One might wonder, I also believe I’m experiencing retaliation from former faculty who might be speaking to other advisors faculty etc..and hence this inaccurate, unfair grade! I was also going to submit another paper on this evening per the same course but chose to refrain as I have no idea what this instructor is looking for! She doesn’t include number of pages to complete, nor the format in which she graded me negatively which is ridiculous considering this is an online course, and being vague is a recipe for failure! If it’s not stated via the syllabus then I shouldn’t be graded pertaining to it!

I do feel targeted and am certain I have been discussed with staff privy to notes in my file leading to being treated unfairly! I want my grade to be reflected upon my work and not foolishness, nor for the lack of bullet points which were never mentioned! The remarks that I will learn how to write a paper is absurd, considering I’ve received proficient and distinguished grades prior to this particular instructor!

I also want to drop the course and not have to sit under this instructor the remainder of my time at Capella, also not to have to pay for dropping this course! I also have read numerous online reviews of this institution pertaining to instructors, advisors, being racist! It's worth investigating, including my financial aide title IV being given wrong information and now I’m responsible for a debt by wrong information from the financial advisory team! I hardly have seen faculty who are people of color such as Asians, Latinos, and ** which hence is a problem in itself! The lack of diversity and inclusion is problematic indeed!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: April 5, 2019

When I first started at Capella, I thought the school was going to be a good place to earn an online PhD. After four years and countless dollars, I became acutely aware they nothing more than a profit center, concerned more with lining the corporate coffers than teaching and ensuring their students have the necessary skills and education to wear the title "Doctor". Don't waste your time and more importantly your money on this school like I did.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I attended this school for four years. I was a student who made a huge turnaround with my grades. I started out as a weak student but due to my dedication, hard work, consistently being up late until 4:00 in morning, (sometimes) writing psychology papers. I earned being on the dean's list twice. Keep in mind, when I decided to return back to school, as a 37 year old single mother with 2 children. Including my 4 year old son with special needs. Last but not least. Since my grades were so good, Capella allowed me to attend graduation early since the graduations travel. I wasn't able to make it to next state ceremony. In which is strange. All the money you spend but no home school...

I spent hundreds of dollars paying for my family to drive to Minnesota from Texas for my graduation ceremony. I also spent over $$60,000 for my psychology bachelor degree that I never received!!!! Sadly and disturbing to report after completing four years & paying this amount of money. Capella refuses to give me my degree! I am pursuing them for this injustice and fraud! My time & money was seriously wasted with nothing to show for it! Capella I refuse to give up on justice & what you did to me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Really disappointed in Capella. So many of their systems were fine, even impressive. Except when it came to the bitter end of the course material. From week to week, the material did not cohere, or appeared being improved or developed independently of the others modules of the course? Just did NOT match up. At first, it was just a clerical annoyance which I discussed, I thought productively, with the instructor who has NO authority to modify or alter, even when most merited. But, then, the errors started to affect MY GRADE, as the directions to assignments were patently WRONG!!!

The instructor would not adjust grading and could not improve the course. She snuck back in her shell to keep her cozy online teaching gig. DROP. OUT. My first course was supposedly a six credit course? $5k. Even the instructor, I am sure to this day, cannot explain WHY the course is six credits?! I am not paying that much money and three credits worth of time for something bad?! Let alone what that experience predicted what the future would be.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I worked through all of my Ph.D. classes for Non-Profit Administration and earned As in all except one which I earned a B. All the courses pertained to writing to get you prepared for the Comprehension Exams that are required before you can start the dissertations. I failed the first comp exam. They said because of my writing. SO I took a writing course to help and I earned an A in that. I then proceeded to take the comps again and I failed again. That was it, I had no more chances, they took my 100,000 dollars and 5 years of working and earning As. Even lawyers can take the BAR as many times as they have to to pass. So I am looking at options to go after them for fraud.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I spent 4.5 years pursuing my PhD in Information Technology with a specialization in Information Assurance and Security. The first two years were spent on coursework. The last 2.5 years was on the dissertation. My thoughts:

1. The coursework is relevant to a PhD. I have 20+ years in leadership in this field and the coursework was appropriate. If you have experience, you can take an accelerated path, reducing your time to complete coursework from about 2.5 years, to 2 years.

2. The dissertation is tough. I frown upon some of the experience that I and other learners had with the dissertation preparation residencies. Some of us felt a little jerked-around. But, there was a learning/growing process in that, to be perfectly honest. Writing the dissertation was hard for me - took 2.5 years. Several of my learners are still in "writing" mode. To be perfectly honest, this is more about how much focus the learner brings to writing the dissertation, than a reflection on Capella. They WILL let you "struggle" through it, to a degree, as your dissertation MUST be your own work. But if you hear complaints about the length of time to complete a dissertation, please know this is more because of lack of focus by the learner than something derogatory about Capella.

There are a lot of criticisms in these reviews. I experienced none of the problems that some people have written about with their "one star" rating. I recommend Capella to others. I recommend those that are pursuing a PhD that, when it becomes time to do residencies and the dissertation, to find that motivation/focus to knock it out. I think a dissertation could legitimately be completed, in most cases, in 9 months to a year. Not the 2.5 years it took me.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I enrolled in Capella because the courses were cheap, but as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for." The first class I enrolled in was the Ethics course. I used to teach Ethics, so I figured this would be a breeze. I was absolutely shocked to see how much wrong information the university has in the course work. They pass off what is clearly whimsical opinions about a situation and present it as an "ethical framework". One item I remember well, under Divine Command Theory, said "eating veal is okay because the Bible says we may eat all living things." I clicked "report a problem with this question" at the bottom of the screen and quoted Leviticus 11, where it clearly says some foods are unclean.

In other places in the course, the answers on the tests completely contradict the actual coursework, and it's literally impossible to get the answers right because you just have to guess at what the author happened to think at the moment SHOULD be the right answer, completely irrespective of the ethics or philosophy. I'm seriously wondering how on earth they got accredited... Also, if this is the ethics course, I can't imagine what the other courses will be like.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We had the absolute most frustrating time with Capella’s financial aid department. For several weeks they requested the same information repeatedly. This information was sent to them repeatedly!!! Finally; I called the financial aid department and demanded to know what happened to the financial documents and W2s that had been sent to them on multiple occasions. It really concerns me that they asked for the same thing so many times. All of my financial records were floating around in the financial aid department for anyone to view. I caution future parents and students to document when and what you send to them and monitor your credit history very closely. This financial department is extremely unreliable.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I was hoping this would be a good school but instead I was fed lies about the program from the advisor and I had multiple advisors giving different information so I quit within same month of starting my class. They hit me with fees that I've paid and each month they threatened to send me to collections when I pay over the minimum amount each month. They really just there to scam people out of money.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I enrolled in FlexPath and had tremendous success with the program. I decided to take three weeks vacation and notified my advisor and coaches. Upon returning I learned that I was kicked out of FlexPath and cannot reapply. I work long hours and travel extensively with my job and FlexPath worked for me. I did not make the decision to remove myself from FlexPath. Capella made that decision and I was getting all Proficient or Distinguished on all of my assessments. Seeing that I have to pay to attend school there you would think that you can choose how to get your education. Capella does not see it that way. I have contacted them several times because I would love to complete my education but they will not let me reenroll in FlexPath and they are holding my degree hostage.

I find it incomprehensible that while I have to pay for a degree I am not allowed to choose my path of study. And working with the academic advisory committee does not help. They say that you can only enroll in FlexPath ONCE in your lifetime. ONCE. There is absolutely nothing that you can do to ever get into that path again. I find that to be so demeaning to career professionals that is taking the time to go back to school and pay for an education that we as consumers do not get to choose our path of study. BEWARE before you sign up at Capella thinking that you have come across the best study path ever invented. I thought the same and now they are holding my degree hostage because THEY kicked me out of a program after agreeing that I could take the three weeks off! I am still appalled at how they do business.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

First and foremost I should have listened to an associate of a previous student. I was notified by a 3rd party collection agency that I had an outstanding balance due to the University nearly a year later. I NEVER received notice by the University. I completed the course taken, in good standing. And before completion, called about balances that I could possibly have after looking online to get an understanding of the financial breakdown. At the time I only saw disbursements and no balances after disbursements. I called to confirm was that correct and was told it was with a sense of uncertainty. All answers received from any person I spoke with, were give in a language of uncertainty or they gave you the runaround, saying they will follow up and never would. It was their way of sweeping it under rug and hoping you wouldn't call back.

Fast forward, I just recently a collection letter a couple of weeks ago, which my attendance there a year ago. I called right after receipt asking to have it pulled from collections due to not being properly notified of it and I was told, "NO. We called you and emailed your university email," (which was inactive for me after completion of the course). Therefore, I would not have received the email. I counter explained that they had 3 ways of reaching me and if 2 of 3 wasn't getting a response the next is postal mail. Their only argument was, since they are an online university they primarily communicate online. Well if that's the case why did you go as far as, to call?

They should have taken it a step further and sent a mail notification as well. Why am I upset because, they have put a stain on my outstanding credit history. And I tried to correct it with them with complete honesty and was blown off. And apparently this is common because, as I stated in the beginning I should have listened, what happened to me is exactly what happened to that person. However, I was trying to remain hopeful and optimistic.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The online program works well and I like how easy it is to get things done when I want to do them. I can do the online classes work on my schedule and I can get a degree in my area that I can use for a future job. My overall experience with the online program and the courses I have taken have been great. The online program has helped me achieve my goals of having a degree to be proud of.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Capella University is affordable, convenient and flexible. Enables you to balance work, life, family, and school and still be considered full time. Your experience counts with around the clock access to our librarians, writing consultants, and tech support. However, students need to be priority one. Need to provide quality education, superior student resources, and affordable tuition. The university needs to offer affordable tuition without sacrificing academic quality. Tuition and costs must be always transparent with no hidden charges. Overall Capella University is valuable, practical, innovative and it still works well.

Original review: April 28, 2018

The staff are friendly and care about students success in college. The courses have detailed content relevant to the field of study, and I feel that my knowledge obtained from the program will be valuable for the rest of my life. Sometimes though the financial aid and related departments were quite the hassle. More often than not I would fail to receive any sort of financial aid, forcing me to take out loans and eventually go into debt. Still, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at this university. I have learned many things about criminal justice, and now I have a degree that I believe will help me in my pursuit of accomplishing my lifelong goal of taking down criminals and making my war-torn community a safer place, free from gang and drug violence.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The ease of use would be the utmost best feature because I don't want to go through too much hassle just to go to school online and I really don't have the time for that with my two kids going to school also. But the price could be a little lower each semester and I almost left because of that. Every employer does not respect online degrees and for that reason Capella University should not cost nearly as much as regular college. The overall experience with Capella University was ok but I think there should be more resources offered to help students to graduate in any major. They could add multiple links for students can go to for guidance throughout the schooling and beyond.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I loved all of Capella University. They offer so many great programs that you will always know you are getting great work for a great low price. I enjoyed the flexible class work and hours. They offer so many great courses that I know so many great people would enjoy using on a everyday basis. But I do wish they would offer more flexible start dates, so prospective students will have more options when it comes to their education. Otherwise my overall experience with Capella University has been great.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Capella University's program is user-friendly and you can study at your own pace. I am very satisfied with the way it is personalized. It is convenient to use and is fairly easy for everyone to understand. I would like to receive discount for excellent performance or high grade in a class. My experience with Capella University is rather positive. The program is modern and I am very happy with the way the class is designed.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I like that their program has ways to help with funding my education and that the school consists of many different backgrounds of people and different ages which makes me feel good and also makes me feel like it's a place I can fit in. Also, the program was easier to transition into than I thought it would be. I was able to work around my schedule and still succeed and carry on with my daily need to dos like taking the kids to school and after school activities. The program, however, could include more hands on help when needed.

Original review: April 22, 2018

This is the best online program for anyone who is interested in working and going to school and for online learning. The knowledge and the curriculum is tailored for the individual person. It is knowledge based curriculum and the best offerings for the curriculum. I like the ease of use and the staff are excellent and always available for each individual learner.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I can take course when I have free time and I do not feel like I'm rushed and it's not time consuming to take get a great education AND HAS ADVANCED MY CAREER COMPLETE AND I'M GLAD I CHOSE THEM. The course provide everything I need with nothing bad and easy to perform what needs to be done. It's been a really great experience with them and if I had to try again I would choose them to deal with them again.

Original review: April 18, 2018

It's an online university which makes getting my degree easier for me since I work full time and I am able to take my courses at my convenience and the costs are reasonable. I was a little apprehensive about joining an online school but it seems to be no different than a brick and mortar college. This school enables me to continue my education as a family man raising children. While I'm very satisfied with it, I would like to see more courses added to complement existing courses. Other than that it's a good online school that is best suited for people like myself.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had some interesting classes and I like that for the most part I could do it when it's convenient for me. I like the flexible scheduling and I don't have to keep up with the class if I have a difficult subject that I'm working on. But it's easy to fall behind if you don't schedule your time correctly. Also, I would have liked having a physical teacher there when I needed it. I would like more face to face time with the instructors if I have a complicated question. Sometimes it's easier for me to learn if I'm talking to somebody face to face.

Original review: April 16, 2018

They have easy grading and courses and the professors are very flexible. The workload is a lot to handle for busy people but they have great lessons and nothing is too difficult. Capella is very good. I loved it.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Capella University offers relevant courses and qualified professors, as well as greater freedom and flexibility by providing a 100% curriculum and 24 hour access to courses. Few of the costs like books, supplies and other fees can add up but Capella University also helps to reduce my costs helping it make my education more affordable. My overall experience had been mostly positive and has met my expectation for what an online school can offer and how it can prepare you for the real world.

Original review: April 14, 2018

My experience has been totally positive. The site itself is easy to use and helpful. It is self explanatory, but if you do need help, people are helpful, fast, very alert and responsive about it. They always have good advice. However I would like them to make the site a little faster, or put an online chat on for people to chat and get help.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I like the online training and mentoring programs along with learning program tools and digital books to help me study and learn at my own pace while still completing homework on time most of the time. I've done one on one training over the website with mentors and even students while chatting over Skype and Whatsapp that really help me complete work and class projects. However, the layout the website can be a little confusing and there are cluttered drop downs. As well as having limited amount of time to complete project.

Capella University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

• Best for: Those who are seeking advanced career training.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs