2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.66/5

Capella University Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2020

I began my doctoral journey in 2015 (Fall) at Capella University. I completed my program in October of 2019. I would have completed earlier, but due to personal issues I decided to take two quarters off. Overall, my experience with this University was positive. It was a lot of hard work, but very rewarding in the end. A piece of advice that I will tell you....”Make sure you do something Capella every day”. This program is very rigorous, so you have to stay two steps ahead of everything. Also, make sure you keep documentation of everything... I mean everything.

If I had to give a con is that throughout my time at Capella, there were several program changes. This was annoying. If you do not stay up to date on these changes it will cost you. Always check up on things. Never just assume papers, etc. have been sent to the appropriate people. Other than that, I enjoyed my time spent at Capella, and would definitely recommend this university to others.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Well, let me start off by stating that I had a great experience at Capella University pursuing my doctorate in Psychology. The process took me a little over 4 years. While I read some of the negative comments I would like to add a few pointers to have a positive experience:

1. The coursework can be difficult (especially the advanced statistic courses). You must treat the coursework like a job and attend to it every day. This goes for your dissertation writing as well. All the professors I had were extremely competent and were willing to help. Of course you will always prefer some over others, however I did not encounter any that were not responsive.

2. The residencies are an opportunity to prepare your dissertation proposal and secure approval. If you make the most of your time there you will find them very helpful. There are individuals from every department to help, use them, make appointments to speak with them. Utilize feedback from your cohorts and professors while you are there. At the end of the day I would go back to my room and revise and work on the proposal. This enabled me to ask questions and get verification the next day and set up appointments with departments that I needed help from that were always available.

3. The mentor and your committee are not there to write your dissertation, they give feedback to make your dissertation better and ready for publication.

4. My mentor and committee members provided feedback within a predefined timeline and did not miss a deadline.

5. After my dissertation defense the university completed their end within the timelines outlined to facilitate publication and graduation.

I think that people forget that it is not high school, no one is calling you to tell you that you missed an assignment and they will let you make it up. If you choose to not work on your dissertation for a month that is your choice, but if you keep your momentum you will get it done. My final piece of advice...treat it like a job...figure out how many hours you have to work on your doctorate a week and stick to it. You may have to say NO to a lot of social engagements, but it will get you to your goal. Best of luck!

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I was a stay at home mom for 20 plus years. When my marriage ended I needed a plan. I decided to return to school to pursue my Master's degree. It was January and I had contact a state school and was accepted. They wanted me to start in June. Capella's program started in February. I was ready and did not want to wait, so I decided I would attend Capella.

The classes were informative and the residencies were a great way to connect with other students. The assignments did not bother me because I enjoy writing. My grades have been good, mostly A's. I made only one B. To be honest I earned the B. For this class I had an assignment due and my boys asked me to watch a Movie marathon with them. One was a home from college and the other about to graduate high school. I can live with the poor grade I made on that paper that I was supposed to have been working on, which lowered my grade to a B. :)

I only had one professor that I had to shake my head about. I had made an honest mistake about a discussion post and only received half credit. I thought it was a rather harsh grade but it honestly didn't affect my grade. I do know that if you don't put forth the effort, you will not complete the program. Capella is proud of their reputation and will not risk that as I have seen individuals who did not pass their residency.

It has been three years now and I am getting ready to start my practicum and internship. I did have a hard time finding an internship ship placement. I would have been finished at least six month to a year earlier had I been able to locate a site earlier. Just a heads up if you are considering this, the reason I had a hard time finding a site had nothing to do with Capella's reputation. The problem was that most sites based their internships on a traditional school calendar and Capella works on 10 week semesters. My suggestion is to network. Join ACA early and look for internship sites there. Capella does not help you find a site. They will help you build your resume and give you suggestions.

My suggestion or advice would be that if you are looking to go to school online then Capella is a good choice. While some people may think you are purchasing a degree, your employer will not think this. I work for a VERY large company and they actually offer discounts at Capella. The reason I did not give Capella five stars is only because I wish that they had sites in each state that they partnered with for internships. Maybe that would be a reach since they have students all over the country. However, the extra year it took me to find an internship site was nerve-racking. At one point I actually thought what else can I do as I have wasted nearly three years of my life.

Now that I have a site I am glad I did not give up. If you are older like me and the online part is intimidating...you can take classes to familiarize yourself with your computer. I did not have any problem navigating their site. I use a Mac and did find that using Google Chrome worked better than using Safari. Hope this helps someone.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I do not blame others for having negative feedback regarding Capella's doctoral process. This process is not for everyone. Unfortunately, as some would experience, Capella does not sell degrees and you must work very hard to complete the program. The Ed.D program was especially tough and reward as a full-time Dad, student and working 70 hours a week. But...my Capella mentor kept me on track and was always available to chat when my motivation sank. For me, the writing was easy. I have a Master's degree in English, so conducting close readings and writing extensively about case studies and leadership was not the issue. My motivation to spend so much time away from my family often got the best of me.

If you are thinking of entering into an Ed.D program Capella's Doctor of Education program was definitely a first-rate experience for me. But remember, if you do not complete the work on-time, address your studies academically, and as a scholar-practitioner, you will not be successful. I would recommend this Ed.D program to anyone looking to better themselves academically and professionally.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I see a lot of bad reviews here; however, my experience with Capella was satisfactory. Studies literally ate up a year and a half of my life. There were several times I considered dropping out due to full time plus hours working as an RN and trying to fit study hours in. Thankfully through the flex path option I was able to stick with it and complete my BSN. It wasn't easy, but Capella helped me achieve a life and career goal. I would recommend Capella to other nurses pursuing their BSN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: May 28, 2020

So I enrolled back in 2019. By the time the first semester was over, I was not finished due to mental health. I contacted my academic coach to get an extension. They did not process the paperwork until after the semester was over so it was unclear what the outcome was. I was unable to get ahold of the academic coach (my professor could not as well) and did not know if I was still registered until almost a month later.

When I finally was able to get ahold of them, they said to finish the course and keep going even though I expressed desire of wanting to end enrollment. After another week or so, I spoke with an advisor and said I wanted to withdraw. With this, they did not indicate extra paperwork I had to fill out and didn't even process that information. A couple of days later I was told that I would be billed for the next semester soon.

I called once again and someone actually wrote down that I was withdrawing and that there was a form to fill out. Over the next few days I was told I would be billed for the semester that I did not complete any work (I didn't do any due to not knowing I was enrolled). It was so difficult to get ahold of academic coaches or anyone who could help me.

About a week or two after COVID-19 started to get huge in my state I received emails from Capella stating they needed about $4,000 within the next week. With my job changing rules and regulations due to the virus, this information added so much anxiety. After trying to contact Capella about the fact that I had no money and was unable to do so, I was told they were unsympathetic. After attempting to speak with them two times (both ending horribly) I started to have panic attacks every time I received emails from them. Another time they sent me my balance (about a week after the previous upsetting calls) I had a panic attack for about 3 hours.

Not only does this school not care about any difficulty you are having (even with COVID-19), they also continue to make multiple attempts to contact for money even after many in the country are left jobless. I am unable to handle conversation or contact with them currently as my anxiety & panic attacks have worsened.

If you want a college that only cares about profit, Capella is the one.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I'm a current student and although I'm passing, no help on their behalf, I can't get any assistance!! They never respond! My advisor is non existence. And I may fail my last assignment because my Chromebook is not compatible with their system which is new to me! I've emailed and still no response!!!

Original review: April 21, 2020

I enrolled and began my educational journey in 2014, due to my overwhelming desire to obtain a Ph.D. I chose Capella University due to my employer which requires me to travel quite extensively at any given moment. During my time with Capella, I enjoyed the freedom to enroll and participate in classes utilizing the online curriculum and forum. I have also found the courses and instructors to be challenging and overall rewarding. Throughout my time, I was forced to take one quarter off while traveling for work.

After this travel, I chose not to re-enroll immediately and to get my life situation in order so I could focus on finishing my path to a Ph.D. During this timeframe, I relocated for work and after settling in and becoming oriented to the new working environment, I decided to re-enroll with Capella University and dedicate my time and effort to finishing what I had started in 2014. Unbeknownst to me, I was informed by an academic advisor that the program I was enrolled in had been discontinued and was no longer available. I was also informed that if the program were still available, I would not be eligible to re-enroll due to my “break” in education. Furthermore, I was informed that I may be able to transfer credits to another program but the transfer audit revealed that only 32 credits would transfer over and that I would lose the majority of my completed coursework.

At no time did Capella University inform me that the program I had enrolled in was being discontinued and/or in jeopardy of being terminated. I have completed over 90% of my credits and lack only a few classes, a final comprehensive exam, and a dissertation. I, like every other student, placed an enormous amount of time and financial expense to Capella University to complete my desire to obtain a higher educational degree. If I had been informed of such a regrettable situation, I would have remained enrolled to complete my Ph.D. I was seriously misled by Capella University in that I, like many other students, were never informed about the termination of the program nor was I ever informed that if I took off a quarter of learning, I would not be allowed to re-enroll. It is no wonder that only 12% of the students graduate from this University!

Original review: March 2, 2020

I graduated with my masters in HR. Great experience. No hiccups and felt very supported. Since graduating in 2017 I have obtained my MBA from the Jack Welch management institute at STRAYER and currently work as a Recruitment Manager. I received a 30% increase in salary and big promotion. I highly recommend Capella for adult learners who need flexibility.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Without available support from and by the faculty their coaches and tutors, the program was manageable. I completed my master's program after 12 months. Capella University is highly recommended. I register for a doctoral degree. I am expecting to work harder but have the already experience of being supported that it will continue to my satisfaction.

Capella University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team