2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.67/5

Capella University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I joined Capella University in 2010 and completed my PhD in five years. I wanted to transition from my corporate career into a full-time university teaching position. I completed my degree in 2015 and started a position as a full-time Instructor in management and leadership on the same day. I have been teaching college courses and loving it ever since. Capella was exactly the opportunity I needed to transition into a new career and take that career to the next level.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I love Capella University for their learning style, support groups, and flexibility. I cannot think of a better place to grow. After completing a master's degree, I negotiated $20,000 additional in annual income. I would expect another $20,000 bump after earning a doctorate in 2021. Nevertheless, impact and career advancement depend on the individual. Be able to explain your career path and what lead you to make specific changes. Be prepared to describe challenging situations and how you navigated turbulent waters. Research the company before any interview and always be ready with exit interview questions that show you are vested in their plan.

I typically work an 8-hour shift, part-time in the evenings for the Writing Center, and am also the primary caregiver for my mom who is in failing health. My best advice is to stay organized, maintain a routine schedule, and learn how to connect with Capella support groups (Writing Center, Library Team, Qualitative Groups, etc.). This university is a community of people who did not grow up privileged but know how to get the job done!! Ask questions. Reach out to your advisor, facilitator, and other online learners. I spend about 15-18 hours per week on course work. Know what you must do to get the job done!! Learn how to ask for help and be vigilant about connecting with the recommended free resources, providing for by this phenomenal university!! You will love it too!!

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Years ago I was searching for a degree and wanted something that was flexible but would be recognized. I found Capella and received my Bachelor's of Science for Human Resource Management. It worked wonders for me. Years later, when my work was willing to assist me with my Master's I went directly to Capella and currently working on my Master's Degree. Very happy with the school and the results that happened since gaining my degree.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I studied my master’s and Doctoral degree at Capella University. I completed a master’s in leadership Coaching Psychology in 2011 and a doctorate in I/O Psychology in 2014. I have read some of the previous reviews and agree that Capella is not for everyone. Determination, discipline and making the right questions before deciding to study at Capella area critical.

I early realized it was challenging, trying to balance work and studies, nevertheless, because they are very structured, excellent technological resources, and sufficient and excellent learning materials, guides, and processes, it was easier for my learning process. Hence, if you do not see what you want or need, you, and only you have the responsibility of reaching out to them and let them know your needs or struggles. I did many times, and they provide ways to resolve the situation.

They challenged me in every course, but I learned about critical thinking, and even English writing (Spanish is my native language). Perhaps the only downside I can state is the high price to study at the time if studied. My business has grown exponentially since I completed my degrees (I am a Business and Life coach). Hope this feedback assists you in reaching the best decision possible. Many successes in your decision-making process.

Original review: May 11, 2020

I began my doctoral journey in 2015 (Fall) at Capella University. I completed my program in October of 2019. I would have completed earlier, but due to personal issues I decided to take two quarters off. Overall, my experience with this University was positive. It was a lot of hard work, but very rewarding in the end. A piece of advice that I will tell you....”Make sure you do something Capella every day”. This program is very rigorous, so you have to stay two steps ahead of everything. Also, make sure you keep documentation of everything... I mean everything.

If I had to give a con is that throughout my time at Capella, there were several program changes. This was annoying. If you do not stay up to date on these changes it will cost you. Always check up on things. Never just assume papers, etc. have been sent to the appropriate people. Other than that, I enjoyed my time spent at Capella, and would definitely recommend this university to others.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

The admissions team along with the IT team were unhelpful. My application was for some reason duplicated and I was unable to receive a solution for this problem. I was transferred, placed on hold for numerous hours without resolution. The IT team was unable to identify the duplicate application and the admissions team was unable to withdrawal my information in order for me to continue. I am glad that this occurred before being admitted because it speaks volumes to the lack of professionalism and unwillingness to help the student. I will be applying to other graduate programs keeping in mind the horror story of this university. Please do not think of applying unless you're prepared to be left alone with no sense of direction when you are stuck.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I like many other reviews posts was one credit from completing my master's degree. After accepting and the university disbursing the financial aid package they dropped me from my last course. Now they are demanding $1,000 out of pocket after getting in writing and on a recorded call that I needed to ensure that my financial aid covered all expenses. I was told by their staff that someone was going to oversee and handhold my account through completion of my last course so that I did not experience a lapse in classes because they did the exact same thing and never responded to my calls or emails in 2019.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

When I started this class, the 1st instructor asked us about ourselves. I then was told to submit every assignment the maximum amount of times. I had a 93% and he gave me a non- performance on a paper- “too long.” Then I caught him checking my LinkedIn profile out. That was it. I reported him, and was getting all Distinguished grades in the next course. I was told I could re-take his course.... why ever would I subject myself to this biased man again, when he was passing brand new nurses in one attempt, and forcing the older, experienced nurses in the class to struggle? When asked for clarification, he’d say, ‘read the rubric.’

I screen shot everything. And they are sending harassing emails asking for their money, although they know it takes up to 4 weeks for reimbursement. This school is a joke. Outdated materials....all research papers....and a Facebook group where everyone asks who should take the least offensive instructors. I came here and read these reviews and I’m sick to my stomach. When an instructor biases his students and harasses them, he better hope they don’t get evidence of it. I did. Is there any recourse?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I had read reviews that Capella adds a term to the end of your degree to collect more money and they were right! Advising tells you the wrong information misleading you into another term. You rarely get to speak to the same advisor therefore always getting information from different people. The professors who grade are fair and going at your own pace is great. But it's not worth the extra $2500 and stress. Here I am done my classes and cannot even get my degree because of the inaccurate info. in helping me budget this course.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

My experience started out very good, then it went down hill. I got my Masters and BS here but I am not happy, when I graduated with honors I might add they took my email account. I am also an ambassador and that didn’t matter. Then they had the audacity to ask me to consider going for my doctorate, no way. I can’t find a job and no contact from Capella. I invested a lot of money at Capella, loved my experience but I wouldn’t give them a dime.

Capella University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team