2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

3.2/5 (120 ratings)

About Capella University

Capella University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: March 15, 2021

It has been a great experience for me at Capella University. But I believe that they need to get better at charging students for every mistake they make, because no-one is a robot and or perfect which makes me believe that they only care about money instead of the students well-being. I believe they should at least give students a fair chance when it comes to their studies, as far as a second or third chance at correcting certain assignments, due to people having a life outside of their studies, and or due to people being human not knowing how to due certain assignments upfront on the first try, even if there are videos and in class sessions to guide us through. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them, not getting things right on the first try. I hope this message goes far if anyone cares.

Original review: March 7, 2021

Truly, this has been one of the hardest things I have done, finally committing to finishing my degree in my 40's. I am so thankful Capella has been there along the way and helping me. Far from a diploma mill, and thank goodness or it wouldn't be accredited, the hard work is definitely paying off. I was able to finish my bachelor's after a decades-long absence in a year and now completing my Master's. Their support system is why I was able to be successful. From great professors to amazing online tools and even tutors, I have yet to find anyone exhausted from my pestering for help. It has been a great experience. I have no idea how it compares to other schools, but I would recommend Capella to any family or friend.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I joined Capella University in 2010 and completed my PhD in five years. I wanted to transition from my corporate career into a full-time university teaching position. I completed my degree in 2015 and started a position as a full-time Instructor in management and leadership on the same day. I have been teaching college courses and loving it ever since. Capella was exactly the opportunity I needed to transition into a new career and take that career to the next level.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I love Capella University for their learning style, support groups, and flexibility. I cannot think of a better place to grow. After completing a master's degree, I negotiated $20,000 additional in annual income. I would expect another $20,000 bump after earning a doctorate in 2021. Nevertheless, impact and career advancement depend on the individual. Be able to explain your career path and what lead you to make specific changes. Be prepared to describe challenging situations and how you navigated turbulent waters. Research the company before any interview and always be ready with exit interview questions that show you are vested in their plan.

I typically work an 8-hour shift, part-time in the evenings for the Writing Center, and am also the primary caregiver for my mom who is in failing health. My best advice is to stay organized, maintain a routine schedule, and learn how to connect with Capella support groups (Writing Center, Library Team, Qualitative Groups, etc.). This university is a community of people who did not grow up privileged but know how to get the job done!! Ask questions. Reach out to your advisor, facilitator, and other online learners. I spend about 15-18 hours per week on course work. Know what you must do to get the job done!! Learn how to ask for help and be vigilant about connecting with the recommended free resources, providing for by this phenomenal university!! You will love it too!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I studied my master’s and Doctoral degree at Capella University. I completed a master’s in leadership Coaching Psychology in 2011 and a doctorate in I/O Psychology in 2014. I have read some of the previous reviews and agree that Capella is not for everyone. Determination, discipline and making the right questions before deciding to study at Capella area critical.

I early realized it was challenging, trying to balance work and studies, nevertheless, because they are very structured, excellent technological resources, and sufficient and excellent learning materials, guides, and processes, it was easier for my learning process. Hence, if you do not see what you want or need, you, and only you have the responsibility of reaching out to them and let them know your needs or struggles. I did many times, and they provide ways to resolve the situation.

They challenged me in every course, but I learned about critical thinking, and even English writing (Spanish is my native language). Perhaps the only downside I can state is the high price to study at the time if studied. My business has grown exponentially since I completed my degrees (I am a Business and Life coach). Hope this feedback assists you in reaching the best decision possible. Many successes in your decision-making process.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Please do not attend this school. They left me 200 in debt. I was 90 percent done the program with a 3.6 GPA. My mentor did everything to get me out of the PhD program. She and Capella administration threw me out of the program for non legit reasons. I did not violate any policy. This experience left me financially devastated for life. They are not senior friendly. I am 65 and will die in debt. Do not go to this school.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I have an instructor in the undergrad psychology program that does not grade fairly. It is obvious she doesn't actually read through the papers and I have been held up due to this faculty's poor job for more than 3 weeks now. Capella advertises that Flex Path Learners have their papers graded within 2 business days. That is simply not true. You cannot pay one fee per semester and go at your own pace (which was the appeal of the program) if you can't get through the coursework because faculty isn't doing their job. Also, the support team has been of no help (up to this point), which I find to be really unethical.

They simply don't provide what they advertise and it will most likely end up costing me more money just to get through the classes all because a faculty member can't be bothered to do their job. Totally unacceptable for an educational institution. Don't believe what they advertise. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but Capella feels more like a money-making machine, than a institution of education.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I signed up with Capella at the beginning of 2020 for one class just as I lost my job to Covid. Got ahold of the advisor and she said I would be able to drop the class with no strings attached because of the change in circumstance and since I didn't actually do anything in the class yet. Took a bit to get in touch with the person who can cancel classes, but he said he didn't know how finances worked and that if she said it it was probably true.

A couple of months later I get a bill for $1600. I send out 30+ emails and get one response telling me to send an explanation to an email address I had sent 15+ emails to with no response. Phone calls go nowhere because they tell me to email this dead email address. Now I got a phone call from a collection agency saying I owe even more. This school might give out legit degrees, but making sure there is no way to back out isn't legit in the slightest. Definitely felt like I got scammed. Now even the collection agency is telling me to email this dead email. Don't waste your money going here.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I was dropped from a class in error, a technical problem. My counselor, and his supervisor both agreed and admitted that it was an error not on my part, but Capella. Now, I'm being unenrolled from the University and told that I have to pay for that class that I was dropped from in error, and my loans were sent back, and I can't be reenrolled or get financial aid unless and until the amount of that dropped class be paid in full, which I was never informed of how much that will be. After research, I found that this is a common situation with this school, and there is a class action lawsuit regarding this and similar situations. I'm going to join this lawsuit, and I have filed a claim with federal aid. This is a systematic problem that they have and their only way to deal with it is to have students pay out of pocket. This is unethical and criminal. JOIN THE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

The admissions team along with the IT team were unhelpful. My application was for some reason duplicated and I was unable to receive a solution for this problem. I was transferred, placed on hold for numerous hours without resolution. The IT team was unable to identify the duplicate application and the admissions team was unable to withdrawal my information in order for me to continue. I am glad that this occurred before being admitted because it speaks volumes to the lack of professionalism and unwillingness to help the student. I will be applying to other graduate programs keeping in mind the horror story of this university. Please do not think of applying unless you're prepared to be left alone with no sense of direction when you are stuck.

Capella University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

Capella University Company Information