Capella University

Capella University Reviews

3.5/5 (273 ratings)

About Capella University Reviews

Capella University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: May 8, 2022

I attended the DIT program since 2018 and 2021. The amount of work and pressure this program puts you through is insane. You are promised to complete the program in two and a half years; However, even if you do, the teachers, mentors, and advisors are working together to extend your time in the program to make more money for you. I completed the program in two and a half years; with hard work that cost me blood, sweat and tears. In the end they invented a ridiculous thing to keep me longer in the program to continue draining my pocket.

Since I was unwilling to play their game, I resigned before graduating; yes I know, it sounds crazy but life is very short and for what it is worth a doctorate is not worth it. In the end I ended up with a debt of more than 80 thousand dollars, serious health problems and all because of a silly dream. I was not as wise as most of my colleagues who were able to withdraw in time, because in this program you are destined to fail. This institution has a very bad reputation. I advise you to stay away from her and her bad business practice.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I started the process of trying to Enroll. I did not progress much further than that. I literally called everyday, great difficulty getting enrolled, wait time extreme and each time I was told something different and that's if I was fortunate to get someone on the phone. I also was told that "they would call me back," multiple time with answers but they did not. When asked about options for Financial Assistance, the employees act as if they weren't aware of any programs, I had to ask specifically about each one and they had to go ask someone else. I don't think they are approving anyone for F.A. at this time but are quick to tell you "you qualify for a loan!" I am not working but I don't qualify?

I have called my Counselor way too many times, phone rings busy continuously. I emailed multiple times and asked that she call me, she did not. The process for registering is a joke. Totally unorganized. If you have a complaint, they do not have Anyone for you to talk to and there aren't any numbers on website for the Dean, and assistance, Supervisor, a complaint department, etc. I asked for a Supervisor, Manager, Dean, Complaint department and was told "we do not have any of those, you have to go to the website." On the website you are told to "try and work things out with the person you have a complaint with and also not to place anything on social media." It's a horrible business, when they do not have any numbers to talk to real people about matters that needs to be Escalated. The only number, is the main number, and that number is Use-less! Their main focus is Social Media only!

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I saw some of the reviews on here, but I have had a completely different experience. My advisors have been great from start to finish. Capella accepted all of my previous college credits, minus those that were remediation classes, which most other colleges do not accept either. I was able to use my professional certification for PLA credits so that took off 7 classes. I have 6 days left before the end of my journey and it took me a year to finish. Granted I transferred in the max credit of 135 and I did the Guided Path versus Flex Path. They do have a max on how much financial aid you can use in a quarter so be aware of that when signing up for classes. Also, if you pay out of pocket, you need to set yourself on a payment plan so you will not get dropped from your classes. It is a pretty easy online process.

I never had an issue with contacting anyone from Capella and my professors have been great! The programs are not easy, to be successful you have to put in the work. I can honestly say that the stuff I have learned in my degree has helped me with my career. I would just recommend researching your program very well before signing up to make sure it is a good fit. I went through the whole website before I enrolled so I knew what I was getting into and also what questions to ask.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Charge you for another semester when they kick you out of your classes. Total scam. Doubt their degree is worth anything, all they care about is money. Do yourself a favor and do not give them a cent go somewhere else. Total scam.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Misleading the Flexpath program. I wanted a flexible online learning experience with courses that would pique my interest. Instead, I received courses worth 1.5 quarter credits, taking longer to achieve 180 quarter credits to receive a bachelor's degree. The Flexpath program is so you can move through faster. Why don't they have more 3 quarter credits courses in my academic plan? A few months into attending, I quickly became tired of always writing papers for each assessment. That is all you do, write papers, and it never stops. If you enjoy only writing papers for your courses, this may be for you. But I've been doing this for over a year, and I am burned out. You will also spend many minutes trying to get financial aid on the line and speak to your academic advisor. Who can learn only writing papers for months on end? Based on the reviews, I can only expect fallout from financial aid. I'll soon find out how much I owe.

This is so disappointing because I was hoping my online experience would be amazing, instead my degree seems further away now. I can't believe an institution like Capella can ruin so many dreams for individuals who want to achieve greater things. Capella needs a third party to come in and review its processes and procedures. Clearly, they have more disappointed learners than graduates.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

I recently received my Bachelors in Psychology. I continually had technical issues, and financial aid issues. I had payment from both the FASFA and VA, so they were getting paid continually. I had to fight for every dime that was mine. Their website never coincided with my refund, so at the last minute, I would not receive any of my funds to live on. In fact, I would have to fight to receive it before the last day of the term. Sometimes it was even after it ended. The last quarter, I changed my last classes into one term, since financial aid sent me an email stating if I did so, I would only owe $100 out of pocket. After it was too late to change back, I received a bill for $2209.

When I confirmed the email, all I got was that was incorrect, and I should not have been told that. Well, your mistake, you eat it. This did not happen. Then I tried to apply for the Master's Program, since I graduated with a 3.8 gpa. It has been 3 months and they are continually having technical issues, or changing what is required. What? You could not have figured this out in the first 30 days. I have stopped trying, and will apply at a different college, as soon as I am able to pay the $2209 they have cost me. Try Western Governor's, don't waste your money here.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

I began a class, to complete a Reading and Literacy certification at Capella in Oct. 21 that I started in 2012. The only class remaining was the Practicum, so I decided to take it to complete the program. After taking classes from 2012 - 2014, I stopped. Only the practicum was left to complete. (I Still owe $25,000 in Student Loans.) Now it has been determined that the classes I took are not applicable for my state OR TRANSFERABLE. When I was asked to refer to a paper in ED5004 (that I took in 2012) in the second class, I knew I was in trouble, I have no record, and neither does the university.

I called my advisor at 8:00 a.m. to drop the class. She promptly let me know I was liable to pay for the entire course. If I had contacted her PRIOR TO MIDNIGHT I would've not been liable for paying for the ENTIRE COURSE. I have written the Dean, and several others....no response. I think this is unreasonable, and vicious. So now I am liable to pay $3,000 for missing an eight hour deadline, by their standards. An expensive waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

DO NOT ATTEND THIS UNIVERSITY! They never answer the phone, which is pretty important considering that a plethora of money is being paid. I recently was in the Psychology program. Each professor I had was absolutely horrible. When they found errors in my assignments, they were never specific on exactly what I was doing wrong and how I can correct the mistakes. So I ended up just resubmitting assignment after assignment and getting bad grades. There were also professors that took weeks to grade assignments.

This means that if they take too long, you’ll have to be forced to pay ANOTHER billing session. Even if you’re DONE with all assignments, and just waiting on the professor (which has happened to me numerous times), you have no choice. They claim that “Flexpath” saves you money and time because you can move at your own pace. It’s a SCAM. You can only take 2 classes at a time!! They make it seem like you can take as many as you want at your own pace. That’s not the case at all. Overall, it was a complete waste of money and I wish I had chosen a different university. I do not recommend this university, at all.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

After finally being able to get enough gall to go back to school. I am now kicked out because of a balance that I apparently owe that should at no cost of mine be taken care of. I have just hired a lawyer. And reported them to several agencies. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Terrible! They took $82K from me without even knowing about it with student loans so they could profit! I am getting a lawyer against Capella AND Nelnet. If you think after 15 years I am going to pay all of YOUR FRAUDULENT money back when I wasn't even able to graduate after seeing my bill, you're nuts. Guess what, my final bill? Look up top. I didn't go to school to be a Doctor. Fit the bill Capella AND NELNET! I will no longer be responsible.

Capella University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

Capella University Company Information