2.62/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Capella University

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Capella University Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I completed the MBA program at Capella University and had an outstanding experience. The individuals who say online universities aren’t as quality or involved have never experienced what these schools have to offer. The content was challenging, encouraged time management, and was relevant to society. I strongly recommend Capella.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I was a stay at home mom for 20 plus years. When my marriage ended I needed a plan. I decided to return to school to pursue my Master's degree. It was January and I had contact a state school and was accepted. They wanted me to start in June. Capella's program started in February. I was ready and did not want to wait, so I decided I would attend Capella.

The classes were informative and the residencies were a great way to connect with other students. The assignments did not bother me because I enjoy writing. My grades have been good, mostly A's. I made only one B. To be honest I earned the B. For this class I had an assignment due and my boys asked me to watch a Movie marathon with them. One was a home from college and the other about to graduate high school. I can live with the poor grade I made on that paper that I was supposed to have been working on, which lowered my grade to a B. :)

I only had one professor that I had to shake my head about. I had made an honest mistake about a discussion post and only received half credit. I thought it was a rather harsh grade but it honestly didn't affect my grade. I do know that if you don't put forth the effort, you will not complete the program. Capella is proud of their reputation and will not risk that as I have seen individuals who did not pass their residency.

It has been three years now and I am getting ready to start my practicum and internship. I did have a hard time finding an internship ship placement. I would have been finished at least six month to a year earlier had I been able to locate a site earlier. Just a heads up if you are considering this, the reason I had a hard time finding a site had nothing to do with Capella's reputation. The problem was that most sites based their internships on a traditional school calendar and Capella works on 10 week semesters. My suggestion is to network. Join ACA early and look for internship sites there. Capella does not help you find a site. They will help you build your resume and give you suggestions.

My suggestion or advice would be that if you are looking to go to school online then Capella is a good choice. While some people may think you are purchasing a degree, your employer will not think this. I work for a VERY large company and they actually offer discounts at Capella. The reason I did not give Capella five stars is only because I wish that they had sites in each state that they partnered with for internships. Maybe that would be a reach since they have students all over the country. However, the extra year it took me to find an internship site was nerve-racking. At one point I actually thought what else can I do as I have wasted nearly three years of my life.

Now that I have a site I am glad I did not give up. If you are older like me and the online part is intimidating...you can take classes to familiarize yourself with your computer. I did not have any problem navigating their site. I use a Mac and did find that using Google Chrome worked better than using Safari. Hope this helps someone.

Get expert buying tips about Online Criminal Justice Degree Programs delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I do not blame others for having negative feedback regarding Capella's doctoral process. This process is not for everyone. Unfortunately, as some would experience, Capella does not sell degrees and you must work very hard to complete the program. The Ed.D program was especially tough and reward as a full-time Dad, student and working 70 hours a week. But...my Capella mentor kept me on track and was always available to chat when my motivation sank. For me, the writing was easy. I have a Master's degree in English, so conducting close readings and writing extensively about case studies and leadership was not the issue. My motivation to spend so much time away from my family often got the best of me.

If you are thinking of entering into an Ed.D program Capella's Doctor of Education program was definitely a first-rate experience for me. But remember, if you do not complete the work on-time, address your studies academically, and as a scholar-practitioner, you will not be successful. I would recommend this Ed.D program to anyone looking to better themselves academically and professionally.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I see a lot of bad reviews here; however, my experience with Capella was satisfactory. Studies literally ate up a year and a half of my life. There were several times I considered dropping out due to full time plus hours working as an RN and trying to fit study hours in. Thankfully through the flex path option I was able to stick with it and complete my BSN. It wasn't easy, but Capella helped me achieve a life and career goal. I would recommend Capella to other nurses pursuing their BSN.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I spent 4.5 years pursuing my PhD in Information Technology with a specialization in Information Assurance and Security. The first two years were spent on coursework. The last 2.5 years was on the dissertation. My thoughts:

1. The coursework is relevant to a PhD. I have 20+ years in leadership in this field and the coursework was appropriate. If you have experience, you can take an accelerated path, reducing your time to complete coursework from about 2.5 years, to 2 years.

2. The dissertation is tough. I frown upon some of the experience that I and other learners had with the dissertation preparation residencies. Some of us felt a little jerked-around. But, there was a learning/growing process in that, to be perfectly honest. Writing the dissertation was hard for me - took 2.5 years. Several of my learners are still in "writing" mode. To be perfectly honest, this is more about how much focus the learner brings to writing the dissertation, than a reflection on Capella. They WILL let you "struggle" through it, to a degree, as your dissertation MUST be your own work. But if you hear complaints about the length of time to complete a dissertation, please know this is more because of lack of focus by the learner than something derogatory about Capella.

There are a lot of criticisms in these reviews. I experienced none of the problems that some people have written about with their "one star" rating. I recommend Capella to others. I recommend those that are pursuing a PhD that, when it becomes time to do residencies and the dissertation, to find that motivation/focus to knock it out. I think a dissertation could legitimately be completed, in most cases, in 9 months to a year. Not the 2.5 years it took me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capella University?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I had almost daily contact from an advisor until I completed enrollment. Not once after that was I able to reach a counselor, nor did instructors returns calls or emails. Absolutely no support or guidance was offered after they had my money. I tried to reach someone about unenrolling and did not get a single call returned until it went into a new billing cycle. The school told me I owed them the fees even though I had not been engaged with a class since a week before the end of the first billing session and hadn’t been able to reach anyone to discontinue! This school is a SCAM!!! BEWARE!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Capella University was ok in the beginning and then it was continuous technical issues and non-responsive faculty. I have complained and keep getting put off. I would go elsewhere if I were anyone looking for go to school online!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I was two courses away from completing my PH.D and a gpa of 3.8 and had to drop a course after paying them for at least twelve other courses. Though I had financial aid. They sent it back, thus causing me to owe them. I had to completely withdraw from the program and can not get my transcripts. I have dropped classes in undergrad. We are not perfect. We are entitled to one drop without having our opportunities destroyed. I personally think this happened because i was ** and really intelligent but not company-sponsored, bet the illiterate folks with jobs got out of the program.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

My husband and I were very excited to join Capella this past February, my husband for his bachelor's and myself for my master's both in industrial/organizational psychology. I was able to enroll in FlexPath which suited my goals, my husband needed GuidedPath until he could complete the necessary courses to get into FlexPath. Almost from the beginning there were technical issues with logging into the system, sometimes having several days where we couldn't get in to work on assignments, many other times having to use a "back door" to get into the courses. Though frustrating, we dealt with these and continued to work on the courses.

I had set up my program with automatic bill pay, and toward the end of my second quarter, I received notification that if I didn't pay I would be dropped and sent to collections. They had dropped my auto pay without any word to me. My husband was using financial aid, and he received notification that he could not enroll in any classes until he paid his balance. Though he had accepted his financial aid, they didn't process it and were trying to charge him.

As to the classes, in the Master's FlexPath, you don't get to speak or email professors directly. All communication goes through tutors. In the 4 classes that I took, twice tutors changed without notification and usual responses from them were generic replies. One class had an exceptional tutor that reached out to me and was active on the message boards. As to the professors, they have several days to respond to assignments, most do not give feedback until the last minute. One professor was amazing, in the same class as the great tutor, and he gave detailed, pertinent feedback in a timely manner.

Since most assignments build on each other, I would have to wait for other professors to complete their grading process before submitting the next assignment, slowing my progress down. In another instance, I corrected mistakes on an assignment and didn't change the parts that had been graded as "distinguished". The same professor changed my "distinguished" to "non-performance" on one category despite their being no changes, affecting my overall grade. Having no ability to directly contact the professor about this was frustrating, and that was only one instance.

During my last course, my husband was having issues with trying to enroll in classes and more financial aid issues, and I was getting very frustrated with all the little problems that kept adding up. I new it was getting close to a new billing cycle when I got an email saying my advisor had changed for the second time within a month, and I was just done. I emailed and asked to be un-enrolled from Capella. Unfortunately, that was the last day of the billing cycle and by the time I was able to schedule a meeting with her regarding my reasons for leaving, we were in a new quarter. Now I am being charged over $2600 for a quarter I have not participated in.

The idea of FlexPath is great, and I see from other reviews that people have had good luck with it, however it was problematic for my family and in the end has cost the two of us nearly $20k for degrees neither of us completed. This is not my first master's degree. I have an MBA from another online university and never had issues like the ones I've experienced at Capella.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I joined Capella a month ago I am in a graduate program. I had bad experiences with the learning software and with the help desk. I expected more. I changed my specialization several times but no one ever reached out to me to ask me why I was doing that or why I was not sure of what I wanted to do. I had trouble when submitting an assignment and when I called the help desk they stated they could not help me to be able to resubmit the assignment as the professor had asked. I attended SNHU prior. They always checked on me weekly to see if I was doing ok. They called and gave me positive feedback so that was what I was expecting. It seems Capella expects graduate students to teach themselves and that bothers me. The school may be ok but II miss SNHU and I will probably return there.

Capella University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Capella University is a regionally accredited, for-profit university that specializes in online education.

• Offers degrees and certificates: Capella offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and certificates in criminal justice.

• FlexPath programs: FlexPath is a unique program that is assessment based and allows students to complete as many courses as they are able to in a 12 week period for one rate.

• Best for: Those who are seeking advanced career training.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs