3.53/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 28, 2017

97 American InterContinental University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've attended AIU since 2011 and obtained my BFA in 2016. I've had financial issues but I managed to work my way through regardless that I took my time in order to graduate. I decided to go back into school to get my MBA this year of 2017 and I can't believe I'm graduating again in 2018. It's an investment I decided upon myself and I had no issues with this school at all, guiding me in the right direction is all I need from them and I will deal with the rest. No complaints whatsoever and I don't want to write a book on here as a review but what I will say is, it's what you make of it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

AIU engages in abusive predatory marketing and has continually and willfully violated the No Call list and No Spam Act by ignoring my no contact order, which requested they stop all future attempts to contact me by email, mail, phone, or texts. I made a permanent decision not to enroll once I learned more about their program costs; however, executive admissions staff from various states continue to harass me by email and phone despite my clear demands to be left alone. Report your experience to the US Department of Education.

American InterContinental University response

Hi Joseph, we hear your frustration about being contacted after electing not to attend AIU. We’ve added your listed phone number to our internal DNC (do not call) list, which should take effect within 24-48 hours. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am currently attending AIU. I started in August 2015 and I am set to graduate in December of this year. Overall, my experience has been great! However, there has been issues with the financial aid department and student accounts. They cannot get on the same page in regards to payments that need to be made. Luckily, I was able to get into contact with someone who knew what they were talking about. Not once did AIU state that they could get me a job in the career I'm pursuing.

They stated they could help me prepare and provide the necessary information I would need to help point me in the right direction. So I don't understand why so many people keep going on about how the school lied to them about getting a job. Everyone with common sense knows colleges and universities do not just give you jobs in any field. You have to work for it! I'm pretty satisfied with the school and glad I attended even though I will have to make payments on the loans, but I will be able to work in the career I've chosen because I've been putting forth the effort to make that happen instead of relying on handouts like so many others do these days.

American InterContinental University response

Chealsy, we're glad to hear your concerns with Financial Aid were resolved. It's wonderful to see students taking their futures into their own hands! We're proud to call someone with your attitude a student. Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out to your advisors and instructors!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was between jobs and wanted to further my education to help finding a better job. Somehow I came across this crap school. Like the others I was quickly accepted and set up with loans. My first quarter was a little difficult at first figuring out how the teachers wanted my work, once I figured that out work was easy and everything went well. However, my second quarter was a complete different story! The teachers wanted work done completely different, I had a very hard time figuring it out. Both semesters the teachers weren't good with communication leaving me completely in the dark and the groups for my classes were the same. Eventually in my second quarter I gave up and quit. Tell me why I owe over $11000 in loans that I can't afford to pay and are in forbearance?! This is for not even 2 quarters! From back in 2009! If anyone finds a way out of this please email me.

American InterContinental University response

Tema, we're sorry to hear your frustration and want to help. Financial aid is a confusing topic, so while we cannot discuss your case here, our financial aid department will be reaching out to you to discuss the issue.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

This school has taken advantage of NUMEROUS veterans including myself. They have done the same thing with EVERY DEGREE I have there, as well as my spouse who is a veteran and few other students. They mess around with your LEDGER balance close to graduation and the amount is almost always the same. If you do not contact them and threaten them (which still does NOTHING) They will make your LEDGER appear to be clear and on track. However, a few days before graduation, they tack on almost $3k worth of fees for military students which leaves veterans without their degrees or transcripts. Our money is taken from our VA Benefits as well as federal loans and this school, WITHOUT FAIL, does this every time. Please STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL. Myself, as well as a few other Veterans are seeking assistance with this issue, so if there is anyone who knows which direction to go please HELP!

American InterContinental University response

Tasha, we're sorry you feel this way about your experience. Financial aid can be confusing and we want to help clarify the issues you're concerned about. We have found your records in our system and will be having someone reach out to discuss.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I earned a 4-year accounting degree from AIU in 2008. AIU never lined up any interviews for me. (I later realized it was because no one's interested in their graduates.) Their career assistance consisted of emailing me ads for accounting jobs that appeared in local newspapers. Many of those jobs required far more experience than a new graduate would have. My job search did not go well. I began to think that perhaps employers preferred graduates from traditional universities as opposed to those from for-profit schools like AIU. I believe that AIU has a sordid reputation, even among predatory for-profit schools, and that's why the Obama administration rightfully attempted to rein them in.

I had been working in sales at the time I was enrolled in AIU but decided I had to get a real 9 to 5 job as I wasn't making enough money. My job search started in fall of 2008. It took me until November of 2010 to find employment. Even then, the job I found was one I could have easily gotten without any post high school education. I found a job as an Accounting Assistant, not an Accountant. It was one of the lowest paying jobs in the organization. I know this for a fact since I worked in payroll. That's the value of an AIU education. It takes you forever to find a low paying job you could have gotten without going massively into debt for an inferior education.

The classes at AIU simply aren't as rigorous as they would be at other institutions. So you don't know as much as students who graduated from real colleges. You can't compete with them, and I believe that employers don't respect graduates of AIU because they know these online for-profit schools are a scam. I would recommend that all high schools and other organizations that guide young people steer them away from online for-profit schools. The emphasis is on PROFIT, not STUDENTS.

Robin,

We're sorry you feel this way about your AIU degree; we stand strongly behind our education, as do many alumni. In addition, providing students and alumni with potential opportunities to pursue on their own is one way our Career Coaches assist students, but the team can also assist in preparing you to pursue these opportunities in a variety of ways, from building and tailoring resumes and cover letters to interview practice and preparation to building your professional network. If you would like to email us your contact info at socialmedia@aiuniv.edu, we can have a Career Coach reach out to you directly to help you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

First let me begin by saying that I have 2 degrees from AIU. This school has helped me to be a better person as well as has given the education that I need to meet the demands of employers in today's workforce. It wasn't easy and it takes a lot of patience but my reward was waiting for me in the end. I encourage anyone who has the desire to do it. I haven't been in school for over 30 years; with that being said if I can do it so can you and I got all "A's" in my Master's program. Good Luck on your future endeavors.

American InterContinental University response

Marilyn, your perseverance sets an example to all of our students, and we're proud to call you an alumna! Best of luck to you in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience was very good. The professors was very helpful. The intellipath was helpful in learning the material. Time management, Dedication, Support was some very helpful tool that contribute to the successful completing of this program. I want to thank AIU for the wonderful experience.

American InterContinental University response

Kendall, we may have helped with your experience, but the work was all you. Congrats and good luck!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I appreciate the entire staff and management for being there for me throughout my stayed in the School (Masters of Business Administration - Accounting). I will highly recommend AIU for family and friends for future and present. It was fun and educative studying at AIU throughout the period I spent staying in AIU.

American InterContinental University response

Negbenebor, congratulations on your MBA! It's an impressive achievement, and we're proud to call you an alum. Cheers! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience was so amazing. I have learned some many things to become someone important in life. I have meet all kinds of people all over the world. I enjoyed the group project and live chats. This has been an improvement in my life. I thank everyone who helped me get through this journey.

American InterContinental University response

Antoya, we may have helped give you the tools, but you walked through the door yourself. We're proud to call you an alumnus! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I found the academics to be in line with the program. Assignments were spaced out and not overwhelming. I am a single mother and have a full-time job. This program made it possible to have the correct and proper balance with all aspects of my life.

American InterContinental University response

Vanessa, with everything you've got going on, it was important for you to find a program that fit your life. We're glad our program fit the bill! Best of luck to you in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Masters in Business Management and Operations Management. This Degree entails management, strategic planning, raw materials, forecasting, logistics, analyzing, budgeting, communicating with board members and other staff and employees. SWOT analysis internal and external. The professors have been great and most helpful. The Intellipath is a great learning tool. I would recommend anybody to this University.

American InterContinental University response

Gena, so glad to hear you found value in intellipath and found our instructors helpful! Thank you, and good luck - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I truly enjoyed every moment of my time at AIU, (Master's of Business Administration - Project Management) even the stressful moments as I knew that it would eventually lead to better opportunities for my future. I really enjoyed interacting with my fellow students online, make sure you take advantage of the chat ability as it is so much easier than emailing as you can brainstorm ideas.

American InterContinental University response

Christina, that's great advice! It was fantastic to meet you at graduation, and we're so proud to call you an alumnus. #AIUStrong! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience with AIU was exceptional. I really enjoyed the school, and the counselors and professors were great. I choose AIU because my counselor made the process easy for me. I was trying to get in with a University that my mom went to, but every time that I would talk to someone, nothing ever went through. Another great thing was the opening class. That was very helpful in helping me navigate the website.

American InterContinental University response

Shamaiah, we're so glad to hear that UNIV103 helped your navigate the rest of your college career. Congratulations and best of luck! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Awesome experience at AIU. The online experience worked for me versus being in a classroom would not have worked for my life or schedule. I would highly recommend this school to everyone. The instructors are insightful, the student advisors are amazing and even financial aid reps are great.

American InterContinental University response

Cynthia, we're so glad our program worked for your schedule and life, and that you had a good experience. Best of luck to you in the future! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

As an older student going back to school, AIU made easier to ease back into school. The academic advisor made you feel like they were in it with you. There were many of times that I wanted to quit, but they stayed on me to continue. They were in it for the long haul with me. I could call on my advisor for anything and they would call me back.

American InterContinental University response

Sholonda, that's what we want all our students to feel - that we're in it together, supporting you, while you achieve your goals. Best of luck to you in the future, and congratulations! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

It is an exciting and challenging moment to go through this Healthcare Management Masters program but the dedicated staff at AIU, who are always there to provide the requisite materials and guidance, I can today say am very proud of my achievement. A very many thanks and appreciation to all the staff, my student advisers and all that make it possible for me to graduate today.

American InterContinental University response

Abdul, you should be proud of your achievement. We are! Congratulations and best of luck in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I have been with AIU since 2012. Had my four years of Computer Science prior my AIU experience and wasn't able to get my degree because of relocation. I waited 10 years to get back and tried other colleges but AIU has given me the best college experience I've ever had! I have learned so many things that have helped me through my career and become a better person than before. So thank you so much AIU!

American InterContinental University response

Anna, the best feedback we could receive is that a student's time allowed them to grow both personally and professionally. Here's to you! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

One of the best schools ever been to. They work really hard to give their students that best schooling they can. They really care about their students. I will be one of the first in my family to graduate from school (Healthcare Management) and it has been a real blessing to have gone to this school. Thanks.

American InterContinental University response

Hi Samantha, we do care immensely about our students, and we feel pride when they feel they've been given the tools to accomplish things they never thought possible. We're glad to call you an alumna! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I started at AIU and at first it was overwhelming and I felt a little over my head. But as time rolled on, I found the way the curriculum was setup, I became more comfortable and settled in. I had a brief 30 year gap in my education and was a bit hesitant about getting back into the educational world, but AIU made it easy and I soon was moving along in a big way. I am happy to say with dedication and determination, I went on to graduate Summa Cum Laude and earned my Business degree! I was really happy with my decision and the way my education more or less fell into place. Thank you for all you have done for me and helping me fulfill a promise I made to myself a long time ago.

American InterContinental University response

Robert, the best experiences are those in which you step out of your comfort zone and rise to meet the occasion. On that front, you've achieved great success, and we're proud to call you an alumnus. Cheers! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

My experience at AIU was great. I enjoyed being able to do my schooling at the pace that worked for me. I understand that this comes at a higher cost but education should not cost anything, especially not $50k. Now that I have my bachelors degree I am eager to go back to school but unfortunately I can't afford anymore education.

American InterContinental University response

We're glad to hear you had a good experience and that the AIU program fit well into your life. Thank you for your feedback. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

AIU has been my pride. I had given up on returning to college as a mom, I just didn't think I could handle it. Now 2 days away from crossing the stage I have dreamed of my whole life, my heart is overwhelmed. I love my school, and the experience.

American InterContinental University response

Prenisha, you have great reason to be proud, and it was fantastic to see you cross the stage at graduation. We're delighted to know that we played some part in your story. Congratulations! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

When I first started I was really nervous and scared because I had been out of school for so long. Between the advisors and the professors every class put me more and more at ease. I am very happy that I choose this school for my degree.

American InterContinental University response

Rebecca, we're glad you overcame your nerves. Only by challenging yourself can you grow. We are proud to call you an alum.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I found the courses very beneficial. I have acquired a plethora of knowledge as it pertains to forensic accounting in which I will be able to apply my learning in my future career endeavors. Thank you AIU for your great resources!

American InterContinental University response

Nicole, we're so glad to hear that you found your AIU education is serving you well. We're proud to have you as an alumna. Here's to your future! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I'm really torn about what to write. Most of my Schooling was great but now as I graduated, I'm not going to get my diploma until I pay another $150. I was never told this. I already have 25,000 in loans. I could understand this if I were going to an actual graduation but there isn't one close enough to me, and if I could afford it I would have gone to one. I can't afford $150 at this time I can't afford my rent so...

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

My experience was ok most of the time but when faculty and staff made mistakes they seemed quick to blame it on the student instead of trying to find effective resolutions. I've attended other schools where it was a student first environment. Definitely was not my experience here. Student advisors need more training on problem solving.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

It's has been a great experience here at AIU. I have learned a lot and I still continue to grow. My faith and education has played an important role in my development and growth as an individual. Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." It's afforded me the opportunity to grow past what I was into who I am now.

American InterContinental University response

Danuelle, the greatest thing we could hear is that the education you received empowered you to a life of learning and growth. Best of luck to you! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Operational Management - Solid covered all necessary materials. Wasn't too easy, wasn't too hard. Teachers was attentive and active throughout the whole experience. I would recommend family and friends to further education through AIU. Hopefully they will enjoy the experience as much as I did. Thank you and God bless.

American InterContinental University response

Hi, Atiba, thank you for the review! We're glad you had a good experience at AIU, and we're proud to have you as an alumna. - Chris at AIU

Original review: July 11, 2017

In beginning my academic endeavor to create purposeful change, a contemplation of both undesired social and financial statuses ensued. Afterwards, I knew right then my situation could and would not change or improve apart from injecting some type of academic intervention. This influenced a pivotal decision to search out educational support. Ultimately, this decision reinforced occupational career-skills, marketability and enable personal and career-goal attainment. When I enrolled at AIU (Online) the staff members from all departments engaged me with the utmost care and direction to ensure the transition process was comfortable and seamless.

AIU provided guidance with acquiring requisite enrollment information and documentation processes, avenues to fulfill financial obligations, support departments, exemplary learning materials, and additional resources that allowed me as a student to reach my fullest academic potential. Honestly, I don't know where to begin in raising societal awareness on AIU online educational benefits when regarding schedule flexibility, extensive range of learning platforms and resources, instructors' collaborative student empowerment, interactive peer learning that broaden perspectives, sufficient assignment scheduling, successive course learning to maximize material retention, etc.

AIU placed a world of knowledge at my fingertips which enable learning vast topics, concepts, theories, methodologies, strategies and best practices that enhance desired career-skills under my determined schedule. Every stage of my academic learning was streamlined by AIU staff members and superb educational resources. Furthermore, AIU produces a great overall learning experience with accomplished Instructors and Professors that optimized the process to achieving academic success and most important graduating with honors. Which in itself generated one of the most impressionable memories of my AIU experience and influenced my return in aspirations to acquire an AIU Master's Degree to further support attaining long-term goals.

I elected to share my personal perspective on the quality of American InterContinental University because I truly believe in their student-orientated staff, organizational excellence, explicit courses content, and effective teaching methods which ensure students not only achieve both educational and career goals, but also retain a significant amount of the materials studied as possible.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I also feel like AIU ruined my life. The only students that it seemed to benefit are those that were already working in the field and taking the course as a formality. I could not get a job in the field for more than $11 an hour. Although they set all of these expectations of close to 6 figures or more. I was lured and then rushed through the process and yes they prey on your excitement of buying into the hype. I have a pretty much useless degree and this huge monkey on my back being indebted to this loan.

American InterContinental University Company Information