3.34/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 2, 2018

107 American InterContinental University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 2, 2018

My son was so excited to start school, but unfortunately the financial aid department has chosen to play keep away with his financial aid disbursements. I've contacted FAFSA and student loan.gov as well as a lawyer at the state attorney general's office and I was informed ALL monies are given to school to be disbursed within the first 30 days of enrollment. AIU has made my son's disbursement dates so far apart any stipend he would be due would be eaten up by their "additional" costs. No he did not attend college to just receive a refund, my son is very serious about his education, but he was informed when he got help filling out his FAFSA that any money left over could be used for educational purposes such as a new computer.

But to call, email or anything with the financial aid and to try and get a straight answer and not an answer that seems to be scripted or rehearsed. He then turned to his student advisor who did absolutely nothing but send him right over to the financial aid office who was not and is still not assisting him. AIU has been a big disappointment! In reviewing all correspondence my son has exchanged with the college I am now very suspicious of their financial aid department! We will be filing formal complaint papers with our local state attorney general's office as well the state attorney general's office in Illinois where AIU is located. I would advise anyone if you want an education do not attend AIU under any circumstances!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I went to AIU to get a degree thinking it would help me get a better job. However, that hasn't happened. They just got me farther in debt and no way of repaying loans. 11 years later, my loans are in default because what I do make doesn't cover payments.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Apparently nothing has changed with this school's financial aid department. They "recalculated" my aid three times. This is unmitigated BS! Thankfully withdrew last day of first week in the first term. Oh, and had to ask 3x for withdrawal form. No such form exists and they wanted to "talk" with me before approving it. HAHAHAHAHA. So I had to call in and ask a random adviser to do this for me...while I waited. AVOID THIS SCHOOL!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I love the online class. Graduated with my MBA in Healthcare Mangement. Live in MA then I found out I cannot transfer any of my credits to a MA college. No one will call me or answer my question why. After I spent thousands of dollars on my degree. I could not get my loan forgiven because I did what I was supposed to. Paid it on time. So when forgiveness time came I paid too much so I had to pay it off even though I was working in non profit field. But at least I can say I got my MBA. Most of the professors were very good teachers and understood that we worked and were coming back to school and explained things and took time to make sure we knew what we were doing. They did not give you a degree. You had to earn and work for your degree.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was attempting to obtain a degree in Business Administration with a focus on healthcare. I never received an my AA degree but have a outstanding loan balance of over $40,000 dollars. The most shocking part is that this amount don't include the dollar amount received from my financial aid be which is what the government paid in addition to the $40 grand. Also, I can accidentally realized that the enrollment department had enrolled me in a class that I didn't needed. I was so shocked, my grades dropped dramatically. Not to mention surviving cancer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: March 9, 2018

Recently, I began my graduate degree at AIU. My first class was about leadership. Ironically, the professor was a terrible leader. Her instructions were vague, confusing and unclear. For the final exam, we had to submit a 10-page paper. She told us what to write about, but not how to submit the work. I asked 3 times in class how to hand it in online. She ignored me and answered my email with "ask someone else." So I attached the paper as an email the night before it was due, only to be told I never submitted it. I went from an A to a C overnight, after working 5 weeks on that project.

The complaints office wouldn't help me, and my advisor is the only one who thought I could appeal. It is very unlikely. When you watch their videos about how great this will be, how much their staff cares, etc., keep in mind it is all lies. Your professor won't know your name or assist you in any way. You are just a number to them. I will be transferring if my student loans will allow.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This college is amazing because the class is hard but very enjoyable. The enrollment staff was very nice and knowledgeable. They helped me to pick my college plan based on what I want to get done. The teachers are very skilled and know what they are doing and the student advisor calls me every week to check my progress and feedback on the classes. The payments with the help of financial aid I can make it possible to attend AIU Online. I looked at many other online colleges but they didn't measure up to my ideals but AIU fit the billed.

I got a refund of $276.00 from AIU Online that amazed me because I never thought that it was possible for a college to do that. My degree is in BSIT with network administration because I love computers and when I get my degree I'm going back to AIU Online to get my Master's degree in the same field. I hope one day I will be able to teach at AIU Online as a part-time teacher in computers. I would tell everybody that this college is the best ever and they should be proud of the fact this college offers a lot of options for people to study for and get what they deserved.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

There are a lot of negative reviews out there. I don't know what is going on. But, most employers don't care where you get your degree from as long as it was accredited. I was employed almost immediately after graduation, 1st from the private sector then through schools. I received my degree in visual communications and it has been a very handy and versatile degree. The courses were tough but very thorough, not an easy A by any means. Maybe depends on the teacher(s). The cost was indeed high but nowadays most good schools are. Never had any troubles with the payments or financial aid. I was not kept in the dark about anything. I thought it was a very good investment and I am still using what I learn to this day in an educational environment as well as in the private sector.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I interviewed to work in admissions with the head of the department and his dimwitted assistant. They were reading off a packet of questions that had nothing to do with the job itself not to mention the questions were so outlandish that the two idiots interviewing were having trouble reading it themselves. The funniest part was watching them struggle to read the sentence and then look at me for the answer right after. Very unprofessional and I recommend the two dummies interviewing should pick easier questions in the future so they don't come off as dumb their university sounds.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I am a freshman student at American Intercontinental University online. I was not informed by admissions in April 2017, that individuals who reside in Texas and have a felony would not be eligible to utilize the earned Criminal Justice/Forensic Science Bachelor's degree nor have a career in this field in Texas. I learned this when completing an essay on careers I desire within criminal justice fields in Texas. I then spoke with my student advisor to see what could be done to change degree programs within the online campus, I was told that I must fill out a new enrollment form. I am concerned.

Why do I need to fill out a new enrollment form when all of my information is in their college database, and the only thing changing in this information that American Intercontinental University has is simply the degree program??? I am a 4.0 GPA student and have been at this online college since the first week of May 2017. I believe I may be getting scammed, but I really hope there is a legitimate reason for a new enrollment form being required to change programs within the same online campus. This college has been great in every other aspect of learning, however I have heard many negative things from students while in attendance within the AIU community which is why I am concerned.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've attended AIU since 2011 and obtained my BFA in 2016. I've had financial issues but I managed to work my way through regardless that I took my time in order to graduate. I decided to go back into school to get my MBA this year of 2017 and I can't believe I'm graduating again in 2018. It's an investment I decided upon myself and I had no issues with this school at all, guiding me in the right direction is all I need from them and I will deal with the rest. No complaints whatsoever and I don't want to write a book on here as a review but what I will say is, it's what you make of it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

AIU engages in abusive predatory marketing and has continually and willfully violated the No Call list and No Spam Act by ignoring my no contact order, which requested they stop all future attempts to contact me by email, mail, phone, or texts. I made a permanent decision not to enroll once I learned more about their program costs; however, executive admissions staff from various states continue to harass me by email and phone despite my clear demands to be left alone. Report your experience to the US Department of Education.

Updated on 02/01/2018: Despite numerous documented requests, AIU refuses to comply with my no contact demands. The organization continues to violate No Call List restrictions, has not ceased abusive and predatory marketing harassment, and executive staff did not purge my contact records. I do not owe this company any money. I have never been an AIU student and never enrolled in any of their classes. I am not the least bit interested in their programs. STOP sending unwanted email and junk mail for random unknown "students" like Spencer **. Your communications are obnoxious and your spam does not include any way to unsubscribe or terminate unsolicited mail. Your actions have been reported.

American InterContinental University response

Hi Joseph, we hear your frustration about being contacted after electing not to attend AIU. We’ve added your listed phone number to our internal DNC (do not call) list, which should take effect within 24-48 hours. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am currently attending AIU. I started in August 2015 and I am set to graduate in December of this year. Overall, my experience has been great! However, there has been issues with the financial aid department and student accounts. They cannot get on the same page in regards to payments that need to be made. Luckily, I was able to get into contact with someone who knew what they were talking about. Not once did AIU state that they could get me a job in the career I'm pursuing.

They stated they could help me prepare and provide the necessary information I would need to help point me in the right direction. So I don't understand why so many people keep going on about how the school lied to them about getting a job. Everyone with common sense knows colleges and universities do not just give you jobs in any field. You have to work for it! I'm pretty satisfied with the school and glad I attended even though I will have to make payments on the loans, but I will be able to work in the career I've chosen because I've been putting forth the effort to make that happen instead of relying on handouts like so many others do these days.

American InterContinental University response

Chealsy, we're glad to hear your concerns with Financial Aid were resolved. It's wonderful to see students taking their futures into their own hands! We're proud to call someone with your attitude a student. Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out to your advisors and instructors!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was between jobs and wanted to further my education to help finding a better job. Somehow I came across this crap school. Like the others I was quickly accepted and set up with loans. My first quarter was a little difficult at first figuring out how the teachers wanted my work, once I figured that out work was easy and everything went well. However, my second quarter was a complete different story! The teachers wanted work done completely different, I had a very hard time figuring it out. Both semesters the teachers weren't good with communication leaving me completely in the dark and the groups for my classes were the same. Eventually in my second quarter I gave up and quit. Tell me why I owe over $11000 in loans that I can't afford to pay and are in forbearance?! This is for not even 2 quarters! From back in 2009! If anyone finds a way out of this please email me.

American InterContinental University response

Tema, we're sorry to hear your frustration and want to help. Financial aid is a confusing topic, so while we cannot discuss your case here, our financial aid department will be reaching out to you to discuss the issue.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

This school has taken advantage of NUMEROUS veterans including myself. They have done the same thing with EVERY DEGREE I have there, as well as my spouse who is a veteran and few other students. They mess around with your LEDGER balance close to graduation and the amount is almost always the same. If you do not contact them and threaten them (which still does NOTHING) They will make your LEDGER appear to be clear and on track. However, a few days before graduation, they tack on almost $3k worth of fees for military students which leaves veterans without their degrees or transcripts. Our money is taken from our VA Benefits as well as federal loans and this school, WITHOUT FAIL, does this every time. Please STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL. Myself, as well as a few other Veterans are seeking assistance with this issue, so if there is anyone who knows which direction to go please HELP!

American InterContinental University response

Tasha, we're sorry you feel this way about your experience. Financial aid can be confusing and we want to help clarify the issues you're concerned about. We have found your records in our system and will be having someone reach out to discuss.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I earned a 4-year accounting degree from AIU in 2008. AIU never lined up any interviews for me. (I later realized it was because no one's interested in their graduates.) Their career assistance consisted of emailing me ads for accounting jobs that appeared in local newspapers. Many of those jobs required far more experience than a new graduate would have. My job search did not go well. I began to think that perhaps employers preferred graduates from traditional universities as opposed to those from for-profit schools like AIU. I believe that AIU has a sordid reputation, even among predatory for-profit schools, and that's why the Obama administration rightfully attempted to rein them in.

I had been working in sales at the time I was enrolled in AIU but decided I had to get a real 9 to 5 job as I wasn't making enough money. My job search started in fall of 2008. It took me until November of 2010 to find employment. Even then, the job I found was one I could have easily gotten without any post high school education. I found a job as an Accounting Assistant, not an Accountant. It was one of the lowest paying jobs in the organization. I know this for a fact since I worked in payroll. That's the value of an AIU education. It takes you forever to find a low paying job you could have gotten without going massively into debt for an inferior education.

The classes at AIU simply aren't as rigorous as they would be at other institutions. So you don't know as much as students who graduated from real colleges. You can't compete with them, and I believe that employers don't respect graduates of AIU because they know these online for-profit schools are a scam. I would recommend that all high schools and other organizations that guide young people steer them away from online for-profit schools. The emphasis is on PROFIT, not STUDENTS.

Robin,

We're sorry you feel this way about your AIU degree; we stand strongly behind our education, as do many alumni. In addition, providing students and alumni with potential opportunities to pursue on their own is one way our Career Coaches assist students, but the team can also assist in preparing you to pursue these opportunities in a variety of ways, from building and tailoring resumes and cover letters to interview practice and preparation to building your professional network. If you would like to email us your contact info at socialmedia@aiuniv.edu, we can have a Career Coach reach out to you directly to help you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

First let me begin by saying that I have 2 degrees from AIU. This school has helped me to be a better person as well as has given the education that I need to meet the demands of employers in today's workforce. It wasn't easy and it takes a lot of patience but my reward was waiting for me in the end. I encourage anyone who has the desire to do it. I haven't been in school for over 30 years; with that being said if I can do it so can you and I got all "A's" in my Master's program. Good Luck on your future endeavors.

American InterContinental University response

Marilyn, your perseverance sets an example to all of our students, and we're proud to call you an alumna! Best of luck to you in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience was very good. The professors was very helpful. The intellipath was helpful in learning the material. Time management, Dedication, Support was some very helpful tool that contribute to the successful completing of this program. I want to thank AIU for the wonderful experience.

American InterContinental University response

Kendall, we may have helped with your experience, but the work was all you. Congrats and good luck!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I appreciate the entire staff and management for being there for me throughout my stayed in the School (Masters of Business Administration - Accounting). I will highly recommend AIU for family and friends for future and present. It was fun and educative studying at AIU throughout the period I spent staying in AIU.

American InterContinental University response

Negbenebor, congratulations on your MBA! It's an impressive achievement, and we're proud to call you an alum. Cheers! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience was so amazing. I have learned some many things to become someone important in life. I have meet all kinds of people all over the world. I enjoyed the group project and live chats. This has been an improvement in my life. I thank everyone who helped me get through this journey.

American InterContinental University response

Antoya, we may have helped give you the tools, but you walked through the door yourself. We're proud to call you an alumnus! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I found the academics to be in line with the program. Assignments were spaced out and not overwhelming. I am a single mother and have a full-time job. This program made it possible to have the correct and proper balance with all aspects of my life.

American InterContinental University response

Vanessa, with everything you've got going on, it was important for you to find a program that fit your life. We're glad our program fit the bill! Best of luck to you in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Masters in Business Management and Operations Management. This Degree entails management, strategic planning, raw materials, forecasting, logistics, analyzing, budgeting, communicating with board members and other staff and employees. SWOT analysis internal and external. The professors have been great and most helpful. The Intellipath is a great learning tool. I would recommend anybody to this University.

American InterContinental University response

Gena, so glad to hear you found value in intellipath and found our instructors helpful! Thank you, and good luck - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I truly enjoyed every moment of my time at AIU, (Master's of Business Administration - Project Management) even the stressful moments as I knew that it would eventually lead to better opportunities for my future. I really enjoyed interacting with my fellow students online, make sure you take advantage of the chat ability as it is so much easier than emailing as you can brainstorm ideas.

American InterContinental University response

Christina, that's great advice! It was fantastic to meet you at graduation, and we're so proud to call you an alumnus. #AIUStrong! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

My experience with AIU was exceptional. I really enjoyed the school, and the counselors and professors were great. I choose AIU because my counselor made the process easy for me. I was trying to get in with a University that my mom went to, but every time that I would talk to someone, nothing ever went through. Another great thing was the opening class. That was very helpful in helping me navigate the website.

American InterContinental University response

Shamaiah, we're so glad to hear that UNIV103 helped your navigate the rest of your college career. Congratulations and best of luck! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Awesome experience at AIU. The online experience worked for me versus being in a classroom would not have worked for my life or schedule. I would highly recommend this school to everyone. The instructors are insightful, the student advisors are amazing and even financial aid reps are great.

American InterContinental University response

Cynthia, we're so glad our program worked for your schedule and life, and that you had a good experience. Best of luck to you in the future! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

As an older student going back to school, AIU made easier to ease back into school. The academic advisor made you feel like they were in it with you. There were many of times that I wanted to quit, but they stayed on me to continue. They were in it for the long haul with me. I could call on my advisor for anything and they would call me back.

American InterContinental University response

Sholonda, that's what we want all our students to feel - that we're in it together, supporting you, while you achieve your goals. Best of luck to you in the future, and congratulations! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

It is an exciting and challenging moment to go through this Healthcare Management Masters program but the dedicated staff at AIU, who are always there to provide the requisite materials and guidance, I can today say am very proud of my achievement. A very many thanks and appreciation to all the staff, my student advisers and all that make it possible for me to graduate today.

American InterContinental University response

Abdul, you should be proud of your achievement. We are! Congratulations and best of luck in the future. - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I have been with AIU since 2012. Had my four years of Computer Science prior my AIU experience and wasn't able to get my degree because of relocation. I waited 10 years to get back and tried other colleges but AIU has given me the best college experience I've ever had! I have learned so many things that have helped me through my career and become a better person than before. So thank you so much AIU!

American InterContinental University response

Anna, the best feedback we could receive is that a student's time allowed them to grow both personally and professionally. Here's to you! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

One of the best schools ever been to. They work really hard to give their students that best schooling they can. They really care about their students. I will be one of the first in my family to graduate from school (Healthcare Management) and it has been a real blessing to have gone to this school. Thanks.

American InterContinental University response

Hi Samantha, we do care immensely about our students, and we feel pride when they feel they've been given the tools to accomplish things they never thought possible. We're glad to call you an alumna! - Chris at AIU

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I started at AIU and at first it was overwhelming and I felt a little over my head. But as time rolled on, I found the way the curriculum was setup, I became more comfortable and settled in. I had a brief 30 year gap in my education and was a bit hesitant about getting back into the educational world, but AIU made it easy and I soon was moving along in a big way. I am happy to say with dedication and determination, I went on to graduate Summa Cum Laude and earned my Business degree! I was really happy with my decision and the way my education more or less fell into place. Thank you for all you have done for me and helping me fulfill a promise I made to myself a long time ago.

American InterContinental University response

Robert, the best experiences are those in which you step out of your comfort zone and rise to meet the occasion. On that front, you've achieved great success, and we're proud to call you an alumnus. Cheers! - Chris at AIU

American InterContinental University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American InterContinental University is a for-profit university with physical campuses in Atlanta, Georgia and Houston, Texas. It is a regionally accredited university with a robust offering of online education options. American InterContinental University was founded in 1970.

• Online and physical campuses: American InterContinental University gives you the option of attending classes online or in physical classrooms. Campuses in Houston and Atlanta give you a classroom experience, and online courses give you the freedom to take classes that fit your own schedule.

• Intellipath: Intellipath is AIU’s unique, personalized learning platform. With Intellipath, you can enter your academic goals and any credits you may have, and the program will map out a customized educational path fit your academic needs.

• Military scholarship: For women and men serving in the armed forces, AIU offers 45 percent tuition reduction. AIU also offers military grants to help pay for school as well as benefits to spouses and families of students in the military.

• Transfer credits: If you want to transfer to AIU, AIU will make sure you get the most out of transferrable credits. AIU accepts up to 75 percent of qualifying credits to help you save on tuition expenses.

• Adaptable curriculum: AIU encourages students to find a schedule that works for them. Whether you want to go to school full- or part-time, AIU will help you find a personal schedule that fits into your life.

• Best for: military, international, working or any other students in need of an online education.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs