Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.40/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

American InterContinental University

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

View More View More

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

American InterContinental University Reviews

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I have been trying to call this school for the last 4 days because I need them to take the name off my student loans profile so I can start my classes at different school and then first transfer me around for ten minutes, them the man I spoke to tells me he and his boss have not idea what a cod is, that I need to contact the student education, not them. And then finally some lady knew what I was talking about but tells me there is absolutely nothing she can do that it takes weeks to be updated. Such bs! Don't lie to me like idk what I'm talking about. I will be sure to take this to higher management because this school is so unprofessional it's sickening. That's all they want is money. DO NOT GO HERE.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I have decided to calm down before I made a review so to omit any unfair words used against these people so here goes. Do not I repeat do not believe what you are told. My experience started off great. I was getting encouraged daily and getting my paperwork done in a timely manner. All of that good stuff. Now there was an issue that occurred with my high school diploma. I was being told to have it evaluated which would cost me at least 85 dollars. The problem with that was the fact that an evaluation is needed if you have foreign credits which I told them on more than one occasion I didn’t. The story switched to being outside of the US but the rebuttal was military people get stationed outside the US and go to American school and their credits are not foreign. So while I’m waiting on a email from

someone to explain to me how anything of what they said made sense I was withdrawn in the middle of a class.

Now that it is KNOWN they made a mistake they won’t re-enroll me until January which I deem as unfair. There is an investigation going to be opened and I will keep this review on going about the outcome but if you want to come here don’t get suckered into they are there to help because this situation has proven it not to be true.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

This school has really friendly staff who are willing to help as long as you reach out to them. They call to make sure you are staying on top of things which is great because I am a procrastinator. They try to help you with every part in the process along the way. I feel like some of these bad reviews are based off of people having personal issues simultaneously. College is an experience and the people here really try to help as much as they can but they can't do everything for you. You have to do the class work and reach out to the professor, advisers and other students if you are needing support.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I attended this school in 2007 in the Education Leadership program. At that time I was on the quarter system which meant the classes were 6 weeks long. Classes moved fast and you had to keep up. I enjoyed AIU and would love to go back and get a doctoral degree if they had a doctoral program in my area. I've had no problems getting a job and promotions. I like this school!!

Original review: July 27, 2019

This is one of the best online school in the United States. I do really recommend it. I tried different online school and I can say this one was the best one of all of them. The professor are excellent, the education program was great and the administrative staff is very professional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: July 1, 2019

I started AIU around July 2010 as a freshman, everything was fine. I had a financial aid, my school loan was properly paid by the Federal loan. Unfortunately I got sick at the beginning of 2014 which was my last year to finish my bachelor degree programs. I let them known that I was unable to attend classes for one semester according my surgeon doctor because that I was required to follow all thereafter surgery procedures. On July 2014 I called them up that I was ready to finish my programs, surprisingly they told me that I owed them $2980 and I should pay that amount in full before starting classes again. I did have no money because I was just recovering from two prostate surgeries.

On January 2017 they called me up to reenter to finish my bachelor's programs because I had only 8 credit to complete out of 180 credits to be completed. I was so happy to hear that so I rushed to furnish all documents they asked. I begun the classes and done all first assignments discussion boards. A week after I was unable log in to view my classes. While I was attempting to log in someone from AIU called me that I owed $2050 to be paid in full before viewing my classes again. Since that day I am out of school and I could not finish my bachelor degree programs to now. They left me with 70,000 in student loan debts.

I essentially need to get my bachelor degree to obtain a better job because now I have two college students - my son and daughter. They all have honors and presidential awards to pass their high school diploma. I am struggling with a minimum wage to care of their college expenses. I am living the hell because of the AIU crumbling school loans. I please anybody out there to provide information about any college that can me finish my bachelor programs. AIU is refusing to send my transcripts after all these student loan debts they put me in. I do not definitely recommend anyone to go to attend that University because it is waste of money and time.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I remember saying how they tear up your financial aid papers, when you go to the library and print them out exactly how they ask you. You sign your first and last name as a signature, with your phone and social. I thought I was wrong, especially how overjoyed I was to be back in this school. Then early this morning, I got withdrawn again.

No wonder why my cat started laying in the foot of my bed with me, he knew I was going to be screwed by them again. That is the one problem I have. I can't get ahead in life. There has a been a continuous wicca ritual place on me, where I can't go nowhere and do nothing, so this school confirms it. I fail one class, they say three, baloney! I take back everything I said. This is a school that I will permanently stay away from and probably anything to do with school and the very near future and return to being a bum and a loser. That was much better for me, than trying to be something special and with this school. I dread the day I enrolled in AIU, what was I thinking? I must have been high!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I graduated from AIU with a Masters in Health Administration, with a goal to join the U.S. Navy Healthcare program as an officer. Few months before graduation, I found out from a navy recruiter that I am not able to due to the fact that AIU accreditation is not accepted by the U.S. Navy. Over 80K in loans, and I was told to go to another University with an accreditation that is accepted. At this point, after all this student loan and hard work and years invested, I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Current student in the Criminal Justice Online Program. DO NOT GO HERE! This is my first college ever so I wasn’t really sure about what to look for in a school. I definitely know what to watch out for now. Classes are NOT flexible. They claim to be Military friendly, but aren’t really. Only received 4.5 credits for my military service which translates to only 3 credits because the school uses quarter credits. And I had to take these required elective classes (like 3 or 4) about self development that were a huge waste of time. I have credits they could have used from my military transcript because I’ve done over 80 hours of self development training.

I have had some good instructors and I have had a lot of bad ones. The instructors do not provide clear instructions on assignments and are never available when you have questions. I am active duty so the only real time I have for school work is on the weekends. If I run in to confusion on assignments I have to wait 'til at least Monday for a response and the deadlines are always Tuesday at midnight.

Instructors will provide grading rubrics that they do not stick to so good luck getting the grade you deserve. Most instructors have a god complex and want you to kiss their feet. I emailed an instructor because of the way she graded my paper. She took off point for saying that I didn’t mention key points in my assignment that I DID MENTION. When I pointed this out to her she said she was justified and not changing my grade. She also took 10% off of my final grade for an essay and for discussion assignments that I had submitted late because I didn’t provide proof that my father-in law had passed away. She never asked for proof.

Another instructor did not provide clear instructions on an assignment. I messaged her multiple times asking for clarification and if I could redo the assignment and just turn it in as late last Friday and she didn’t respond to any of my messages. I ended up redoing the assignment and emailing her when I submit it and she just said that she can’t accept it and she trusts that I understand. She wouldn’t even LOOK at it.

I have also ended up having to pay out of pocket for classes because my academic advisor did not call me back within the add drop window so I had to be withdrawn from the class and my grant wouldn’t cover it. They also use a HORRIBLE software called Intellipath which is basically a system to do lessons on and answer questions and it is worth roughly 1/3 of your total grade. The Intellipath has SO many errors and typos and information that is completely wrong or contradicts itself. I have complained to instructors, technical support, and my academic advisor and they all said that there was nothing that could be done because it’s a third-party system.

My military financial aid advisor dropped off the face of the earth for MONTHS (since January) and was unavailable to help me or answer any questions about anything. I finally heard from her on Monday and it was only because they had not received confirmation that I applied for tuition assistance for an upcoming class. I didn’t apply because I’m not taking that class due to my stress level and being 7 months pregnant. This school doesn’t even deserve 1 star. I’m finishing out my last 4 classes and never looking back. I can’t believe this place is accredited.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I am back in a fresh start and new perspective with AIU, the staff is friendly and helpful, but when it comes to being on the Virtual Campus, I started getting an error, I don't know why or how. But something is not quite right, when I talked to Technical Support about it, it seems like there is nothing they can do and I have download Mozilla Firefox. This just started this past Friday. I know that is negative energy surrounding me returning to school and being on my Chromebook. I wonder if I never returned, would I have, had this problem? It's rhetorical, no. I'm fighting an uphill between me and my enemies; who they can mess with me and I won't fight back, oh, but I will. I have feelings too, I don't like no one telling how I can't be myself. I will continue to do that!

American InterContinental University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American InterContinental University is a for-profit university with physical campuses in Atlanta, Georgia and Houston, Texas. It is a regionally accredited university with a robust offering of online education options. American InterContinental University was founded in 1970.

• Online and physical campuses: American InterContinental University gives you the option of attending classes online or in physical classrooms. Campuses in Houston and Atlanta give you a classroom experience, and online courses give you the freedom to take classes that fit your own schedule.

• Intellipath: Intellipath is AIU’s unique, personalized learning platform. With Intellipath, you can enter your academic goals and any credits you may have, and the program will map out a customized educational path fit your academic needs.

• Military scholarship: For women and men serving in the armed forces, AIU offers 45 percent tuition reduction. AIU also offers military grants to help pay for school as well as benefits to spouses and families of students in the military.

• Transfer credits: If you want to transfer to AIU, AIU will make sure you get the most out of transferrable credits. AIU accepts up to 75 percent of qualifying credits to help you save on tuition expenses.

• Adaptable curriculum: AIU encourages students to find a schedule that works for them. Whether you want to go to school full- or part-time, AIU will help you find a personal schedule that fits into your life.

• Best for: military, international, working or any other students in need of an online education.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs