American Intercontinental

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I graduated from American International University in 2007 with a Bachelor's in Accounting and Finance. The University was very clear on pricing. The online setup was very easy to navigate - way better than Blackboard. Yes, it was expensive - I got what I paid for. Did they hand me a job when I graduated? No. I had to go get my own job. Was I paid a higher wage because I had my degree? Yes. Do I think a college degree is necessary to do the work I do in the finance industry - probably not. Have a degree gives me the qualification I needed to even apply. Getting the job was up to me. I had two teenagers when I was going through this program. It was really hard. We all worked really hard together. It was an excellent example to set. I have zero regrets and nothing negative to say about my experience as a student at AIU.

I attended AIU in 2010 to the 2013. Receive a degree but I am like $42,000 in debt and don't see how. Went to this financial advisor, was told everything was okay. My financial part was covered by my financial aid. Only have to pay a smaller amount but at the end of graduation and six months afterwards I get a total charge of $42,000 in debt. They kept adding additional classes and then told me that was added on after the criteria was overlooked. If there any class action lawsuits I would love to be a part of it. Send me or call me with any information.

I graduated from this school with a B.A. in business with a 4.0 in 2005-2008 and the whole way through I was asking what it was going to cost as far as payments went and got the same run around as everyone else, "Oh don't worry they work with you and your payments will be very manageable", 469.00 a month manageable. So when I couldn't get a job because I was unqualified and they fell through on their promise to help me find a job I defaulted and then the hell really started, calling all hours of the day and night every single day and just nasty on the phone.

Had I known the cost up front and the trouble I had got into I would of never EVER went with this school but they kept the promises coming of a better life making good money at the end. 11 years later and still have not once used this degree but I am still in huge debt because of it. I have a CDL that I use to pay the bills with. As for the Idiots that are on here praising this school you're lucky you dodged a bullet. Feel lucky you're not in one of our shoes. I worked hard too!

As the previous 40 or so consumers, AIU did the same thing to me. I attended back in 2007-08. Before agreeing to the school terms I asked several times about the payments that would need to be made monthly after getting loans and government help, and was told, "Oh, as long as you make some kind of payment to them every month you will be fine."

Well you know how that went... I was cut off from access to my classes, had to play catchup every time a new class started. The dollar amount went up each time until the point where I could not afford it anymore. I would get letters in the mail telling me I owe 40 something thousands of dollars. I told them there's no way I owe that much if I didn't finish the total course of 40 something thousands of dollars. And furthermore AIU prices were ridiculous, but I was told the school was accredited. Now I'm reading all of these reviews and they are NOT... UNREAL! And here it is 2016 and I'm still paying and trying to make sense of not having a degree with them. TOTAL RIPOFF! I am so in agreement of a lawsuit. Count me in also.

American Intercontinental Uni. contacted me over the phone and they were so nice and supportive I almost couldn't believe it. As the conversation went on I started to get nervous because it was all looking too good to be true. I noticed a review where someone talked about postponing their enrollment and AIU guilt tripped them into starting sooner which is exactly what they did to me! So, we got to the part where they wanted me to sign off on the application and input my social security as an electronic signature. Immediately I got a sick feeling in my stomach and when I told the AIU adviser that I wanted to take some time to look over all of the fine print before entering my social and accepting, she quickly reassured me that after signing I would be able to review all of the pdf documents of the agreements but something still felt off.

I told them I didn't feel comfortable giving out my social on a whim without doing my homework, and I told them I would call back on Monday once I'd had the opportunity to do just that. I then started looking up reviews and stumbled across this site and I'm so thankful that I did. So, thank you for taking time to review them. You saved me a lot of potential stress and setbacks that I'm not sure I could handle at this stage with everything already being screwed up. I'm just going to go get my degree at a local community college man. Screw messing around with these online vultures. You 1 star reviewers are the real MVP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Intercontinental?

4 years of hell & graduated with a 3.85 GPA... Read reviews 4 years ago, should of listened. They were bad then... 30% graduation rate, now I understand. Online with Zero help in getting the know how to use the system, once you do they change it up and you start over. A BS was to cost 33K to get a degree. Now, 50K later they refuse to mail me my Certificate because they messed up my student loans 2 times and they want me to pay an extra 5K to get that paper. Got to love those hidden EXTRA fee - they add up. Could not get anyone to call me back in 4 years, now I have graduated - they are hounding me every other day. Job placement is a joke, 4 month to write a resume with them. I have a BS in healthcare and I can not use it, I do not qualify for 95% of the jobs, I need more schooling that AIU does not offer. What I learned... NOTHING and again A student.

Not sure what kind of problems everyone is having or if the complaints are coming from the "entitled" generation but I was completely satisfied with AIU. I graduated with BIT Network Administration in 2006. I transferred in an AA in Engineering Science from a Community College. After I received the Bachelors Degree I was awarded with a $20,000 pay raise from my employer. As someone had previously state, online schools are not for everyone. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure you are getting what you are paying for. Do your research first.

I went to AIU around 2008 because I didn't want to go back to traditional college. I got a BA in Business Management thinking it would help me further my career. The red flag, I should have pay attention to, is when school change cities. Another red flag is when I couldn't contact one teacher. By that time I gotten my BA and had no help trying to get a job. All I got was 60k in debt and no job. When I looked for jobs most of the companies said, "What is American Intercontinental University?" I was unemployed for 5 months then I worked in retail. This school was really all for profit. I'm still paying this loan off. This school has put a bad taste in my mouth. Please do your research and don't go to this school. I got burn.

It behooves me that we have people that after years and years have passed come on sites like this and continue to ridicule AIU by making complaints in 2016. What's your purpose? I find that AIU is a good fit for me and have nothing to complain about. After all, unlike the numerous complaints seen here, I read the fine print and understood what I was getting myself into. I graduate in 2017 and have maintained a 3.93 gpa because I worked hard, studied hard, and applied myself.

Online classes are not for everybody. PLEASE do your research on any college that you are interested in attending, whether it is online or not. I guarantee you, though, that the same people who are complaining about AIU will complain about the next school they attend. By the way, college costs us a good deal of money. Surely, you people realize that college isn't free. Put your big boy and big girl pants on, study hard, and apply yourself and you will be satisfied. Move on with life because rest assured your cries of complaints after the fact will continue to fall on deaf ears.

My story sounds familiar to one posted by a woman in ILL. I attended AIU in the fall of 2005 - summer of 2006. I was one class away from finishing my Bachelors in Business Management when I got a phone call from my advisor that said I had lied about my transcripts and now needed to take 6 more classes to complete my degree and that I should have started off in the Associates Program because it would have cost less and I'd already be done. Huh? I had more than 60 transfer hours. My last class didn't even have anything to do with my degree as I had finished all of those classes. My last class was going to be Art History. So I dropped it because there is no point in taking art history for a business degree that they weren't going to give me.

I argued and argued with them because there is no way to lie about your transcripts when they have sealed copies sent to them by my previous university!! Ten years later I have over $40,000 in SL debt because of them. And NO degree. They've also had the audacity to call me off and on offering for me to come back, at my cost of course. The kicker - I'd have to start all over and NONE of my previous classes with them would transfer in their own school!!

I have a had a bad and expensive experience with this so-called university. I only took 10 courses and I owe them more than $25,000. The classes were under two months long each. I took one class at a time. This was a plan they said they set up for people like me, working mother of three, so I could earn a degree at home. The classes required me to log on and post to the forum once a week and write a paper of a certain required word limit, usually equal to one page. That's it, turn that in and get an A. Wow. This is easy, I thought, until I realized I wasn't learning anything new or anything that was going to prepare me for a job in the field. I was essential buying a worthless degree. Financial Aid office would call me and tell me it was time to sign new papers to continue my aid.

Since the classes cost a considerable amount more than the federal aid provided, I did not get the overpay that one would normally get from attending a regular campus community college. When I asked for an additional $1000 to cover my expenses, they said no, that amount was not allowed, that I was required to take the full $5000 or nothing at all. Having never been to college before I didn't know better. I figured it out when the same assignments were given to me in my Medical Records class and in my Medical Coding class. One example assignment was: Explain the pros and cons of switching from paper to electronic records. Same assignment in both classes. When I confronted them about it over the phone, they dropped the program. I would like to be part of any lawsuit against them. Please contact me!!!

I obtained an Associates in Business Administration, and a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I am a disabled veteran and used my GI Bill and Federal Student Loans to go to this school. I now owe around $53,000 in debt that I will NEVER be able to pay off. I had applied for dozens of jobs on USAjobs.gov and even in jobs that education alone should qualify me for, I do not qualify for them. I went to the VA and talked to them about retraining and they told me that little, if anything, I got credit for in AIU would be able to transfer to ANYTHING else. They advised me that some of my credits are just made up because of my military service and law enforcement training. These schools prey on military and I am telling you now that if you are thinking of going to this school using the GI Bill... pop smoke because this place will rip you off.

I too was scammed by this program back in 2006. I was one month away from receiving my degree, Bachelors in Business Management, when I received a call from my "Advisor" that I needed three more classes and the cost would be another $4000. Since I was tapped out on my student loans, this amount would have to come out of my pocket. I did not have the money so I ended up having to drop out at that semester. At this time I didn't realize that this online university was not accredited. They told me over and over again that they were an accredited university. So here I am 10 years later still $25,000 in debt, no degree from this university and the kicker to the whole thing is even after I dropped out they harassed me for almost a year to try and get the $4,000 for classes that I never even registered or took.

I finally had to get my attorney involved who wrote them a letter and they finally stop harassing me and I never heard from them again. I know that it's very easy for people to judge from the outside looking in but I was a single mom of three kids working a full time job and I knew if I could get my degree, I already had an associates at the time of registering with this university, I could improve the lives of all of us financially because I would be eligible for better positions within the company I was working. Well shame on me and in hindsight it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway knowing that the degrees from this university weren't worth the paper that they were written on. I am absolutely onboard if anyone would like to contact me or include me on a class action lawsuit. Thank you!

I earned a M. Ed. at AIU Online. The classes seemed real. I met all requirements for attendance, projects, papers and forum participation. I feel pride in having completed the degree. Yet, despite my listing on my resume and on sites such as LinkedIn, I have to report that the degree has not aided me in getting any job over the last ten tears since graduation. I get the sense that the AIU degree is viewed as a throw-away degree. That's too bad, because I had a good time earning it. And it did require hard work on my part.

I was promised that a Master's degree would significantly increase my earning power. That did not happen. I graduated $28,000 in debt, an amount that has now grown to over $40,000. I have had to default, with significant negative consequences. Since the degree has added nothing to my career, I would gladly surrender the degree to wipe out the debt. If I ever do get a permanent job in my field of study, the first year of work will have to go toward working off the loans that AIU encouraged me to agree to on the promise that I would be able to get a better job. Additionally, job assistance was promised during the enrollment process. That assistance never materialized. I do not recommend the institution.

In 2003 I enrolled at AIU in their year-long intensive Masters of Education online degree. I needed (forced by State Teacher Certification Law) to get the degree to keep my teacher certification. I made my choice based upon their accreditation and that I could take classes around my schedule. What I didn't know is that they were in the process of losing that accreditation. I did not have any issues with the courses or how classes were handled. As a matter of fact, I worked my butt off and learned quite a bit. My course work was good and I've still got it.

I left teaching in 2008 in order to take a job in corporate training using the Master's degree. That turned out to be a ripoff as well. I now come to find out that this degree that I've paid (and still am struggling to pay) so much for and touted as qualification is pretty much a joke. I know now why I don't get callbacks to jobs I'm perfectly qualified for. AIU sold me a service and a product and then deliberately proceeded to make it worthless with their business practices.

AIU needs to know that they are accountable to the graduates who worked hard and finished their programs. Graduates who now can't get a decent job because their degree is from a university that is largely known as a fraud. Students whose characters have been damaged by association with this fraudulent school. This is my life they screwed up. I don't want forgiveness of my student loans. I want damages enough to pay the school loan people back so the US taxpayer isn't defrauded as well. Additionally I think enough damages to support my family and myself as I get a worthwhile degree from a qualified university.

I attended American Intercontinental University online for almost two and a half years and graduated with a Bachelors in Business back in June 2015. I still haven't received a diploma or anything. I've contacted them several times through email but they still haven't responded. I also don't feel like I learned anything for those two and a half years. I don't feel like I'm qualified to even apply to any corporations based on the knowledge that I received at AIU. AIU was suppose to help me land a job after graduation but I haven't heard from anyone yet.

I would like to join the class action suit against them. I think their program is fraudulent. I had to drop two of my classes after a week because according to the dashboard the classes were set to start a week after. So I went in to start working on that class only to find out that the class had started a week prior and I was behind a week. I was still charge for those two classes and had to retake them again.

I had my associate’s degree. They made me retake some of those classes. I went for 2 1/2 years, graduating with my bachelor’s degree in March 2015. I got a full Pell Grant to attend and still have a $60,000 debt. They told me they had job placement. This is not true. I can't find a job still. Not even an interview. I'm pretty pissed. Now, I'm facing losing my home because I can't find a job. My loan payment is almost $1200 a month? This shouldn't be allowed. I need help? Any advice? I would LOVE to join in on a class action lawsuit! And, this should entail all the sleepless nights and time put into this. What a waste.

I attended AIU America Intercontinental University back in 2006 for 2 weeks. They had my dad take out a private loan for $8,000. I never saw or used that money. I start getting harassed by Navient who I tell I didn't use the money, I call the school here, they kept me on their registered list for an additional 3 months. What can I do?

I attended AIU back in 2004-05 to get my Bachelors in Business Administration and was guaranteed a job upon graduation. Well here I am 10 years later and $20,000+ in debt with student loans and working two jobs that do not have anything to do with my degree! Think twice before signing up with this so called university as they only excel in guilting you into staying and taking your money. I should've just went to a community college where at least I know I would get my overage check and a job afterwards, instead of being told I'm inexperienced and under qualified! I am definitely interested in any type of lawsuit against AIU, or some type of loan forgiveness. If there is anything out there please, please let me know.

This school scams people out of their money. Not only is the tuition far too high--so high in fact that student loans won't cover the full cost, but they also withhold monies/refunds from military students. Despite them being paid via student loans, they still won't release the money that the Department of Veterans Affairs has issued to them and they keep claiming they have not received it despite the VA providing account information that it was paid via direct debit to the school WEEKS ago. SCAM ALERT. GO ELSEWHERE!

Went to apply for jobs and got sucked into the education trap (where several schools will call/email for several weeks) of the third party. Thought AIU online would be good for me since they have a seemingly manageable MHCA grad program. Pretty easy to get your docs in. However, you do not schedule your own classes; your advisor will. (Mini spiderweb trap: therefore you will eventually get automatically charge tuition at $500+ a credit hour for grad school X 6 = scary!!!!)

If you ask to push back your start a month, (spiderweb trap #1) they will guilt you into starting when originally planned. You start to learn about the school through your own or through sites like this and want to drop/disenroll/withdraw? Starts Spiderweb #2: you can't just request withdrawal or cancellation of enrollment. They will talk to you for 10-15 minutes trying to keep and trap and guilt you to not leave. Bottom line: if you the student do not agree with how the school does business you have the right to cancel/withdraw without being guilted!

I was withdrawn from my classes because I was retaking a call online and had not redone some work because it was already done. I was working on the 2 missing projects that needed to be done. I didn't know that you had to log in every week. I tried to get back into classes and it was rejected. I'm angry that I'm not allowed to continue with the program! Make sure that if you take classes with online college and you have to retake any classes, make sure you log in no matter what and post something!

I am posting this to give guidance to any young person looking into the Fashion industry and feel this is a great school choice. Please rethink your decision on this particular school. I myself attended AIU after receiving my BS in Computer Science at a different university. My total cost for my BC in Computer Science was around 40K. I went to AIU for less than a year and decided to leave because of the cost (major: Fashion Design & Marketing). I was in class one day and was contacted and told to go to the Financial Aid office as my cost were not covered. When I initially signed up for the school I was fully covered but somewhere in the process (1st Qtr) the funding ran out. They did not explain to me why... I left the school about a qtr after with close to 17K in debt for less than a year of education.

I would highly suggest going to a more notable school for Fashion Design and save your parents and yourself the unnecessary cost for and a below the bar education. Look into schools that have great reviews and great alumni... Two or Three notable alumni is not good enough. Hopefully this will be some form of suit against this university or maybe debt forgiveness as it is needed. Kindest, Disappointed they are still manipulating eager students.

This is a current student of AIU online going for BBA and has anyone got on and no teachers is there for the class to begin. First week with no teacher. This is the 3rd time in four weeks. ** get a hold of me. I wanna get a lawsuit together. Not for money - just to come clean and out of debt.

This is by far the worst, most greedy, conniving, underhanded school I have ever attended. They cheat you out of financial aid with their ridiculous tuition costs. They will claim you owe them money, even though you were awarded over and above the amount for tuition. They are VERY rude and they never give you accurate information. They cannot be trusted as far as financial aid is concerned. They will hold back your funds, but claim they returned it to DOE, when actually they never returned anything. The classes are too easy, it's not challenging at all. Some of the instructors I had, were not on point and at times I had to request my grades because my assignments were not graded. The list of complaints are long, but I will end this by saying save yourself from a headache and thousands upon thousands of dollars. A third grade education is better than an education from AIU!

While attending AIU for my MBA, I was living in another state. My living circumstances were not great and I was being kicked out of the place I was living at and had to move back to the West Coast. I had tried to get a hold of my student advisor. He was no longer working there and I could not get a hold of any other student advisor. I had emailed my professors telling them I was moving and would not have Internet service. Both said they would not penalize me for turning my work in late, however that was not the case of one professor. Not only did he penalize me for a later paper which ended up being an F, I did not meet the GPA requirements to graduate.

I had kept all communications between me and everyone I was in contact with the University and appealed the grade. Not only was I denied to take the class again, I was told that I did not provide enough evidence of being kicked out and having to move. One person even asked me if I could get a letter from the previous landlord that I was told to vacate the premises. I asked her the court papers, and the protective order against him was not proof enough that I had left that home? She told me "no", that I had to get something in writing from him. So I asked her, why would I contact someone who threatened my life and was throwing me out on the street to get a letter? Apparently they would prefer a student to stay in a dangerous situation or become homeless. I would never recommend this University to anyone.

I attended this "university" back in the '90s. I paid nearly $60K for a marketing degree and it's completely worthless. I've had to go back to school and earn a REAL degree from a REAL univ. Don't even bother with this place. Look elsewhere!

I went AIU online starting in 2009, finished with my Bachelor in business with concentration in medical. They said I could get a job in a hospital but here it is 2015 and can't even get an interview with a medical office. I now owe a big loan and no job bringing in enough to pay it. Is there any help?

My student loans helped cover my tuition over at AIU and after I graduated I took a semester for my Masters at AIU. However, because I dropped out the school claims that my federal/private student loans did not cover my tuition. 10 years later I still cannot get accepted to any other University to take my Masters. AIU claims that I must pay $3k in owed tuition before they can release my transcripts. I helped give the school revenue by enrolling as a student and graduation from here, and now they treat me like dirt and do not want to forgive that debt. I would not recommend anyone to AIU and would prefer that my friends enroll to a Not-for-Profit school.

Attended AIU from 2004-2008 and received my MBA which isn't worth the paper it's written on. Now over 80,000 in debt and can't figure out why.. Looking for help, and nothing seems to be available. Think long and hard before attending AIU and think about a community college... You do not get what you think you're getting from this school.

American Intercontinental Company Profile