2.41/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

American InterContinental University

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

120 American InterContinental University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am currently attending AIU, and I will have to say that I have had no issues, applying was easy. I had an advisor walk me through the process. I applied for financial aid, which again I was walked through, again I had no issues. Currently I have been getting on to my classes just fine and completing the assignment with no issues, would recommend this to someone who is looking to do online classes.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This is a FOR PROFIT organization and boy is that no joke. These swindlers have been harassing me for 14 years demanding payments upwards of $1000 — I NEVER was a student with AIU!! I stopped signing up before I was completed with the application yet the submitted my application to FIGSA anyway and I ended up paying nearly $4000 in federal student loan fees for a course I never attended. I never took one single class nor did I sign into their student portal one single time.

Now, 14 YEARS LATER, they have just submitted a “debt” to my credit hindering my credit score and messing with my life. All they want is your money. They do NOT care about your education or your future and they actively take actions to prevent your future from moving forward by milking your finances through debt collectors. Do not waste your time and NEVER give this crooked company any of your personal information! All they will do is hinder your life and steal your hard-earned money! Now I’m stuck paying hundreds of dollars to a school program I never attended. Save yourself the harassment and find another program! Find a legitimate program because AIU is NOT reputable. They are thieves and will continuously harass you for the rest of your life! As they monitor all reviews I’ll nearly bet this won’t be posted because these thieves will take any and all measures to steal your money and never let you rest.

For your sake, do NOT give them your name or any other personal information and save yourself the constant harassment and financial ** this joke of a facility will inflict on your life. They are completely for profit and do everything unthinkable to take your money, even if you choose not to attend their courses. Don’t be like me and put your trust into this joke school. Find a community college in your area and get your education from a reputable facility. I cannot warn you enough of the financial ** this AIU will cause you throughout your future! Avoid this place because it is a plague on your financial future!!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I graduated in 2007 with a minor in Business Administration, and a major in Visual Communication. Prior to enrollment, I spoke numerous times with a student advisor who was extremely helpful and basically walked me through the process. I was told a 4-year degree would be approximately $34,000. I can’t complain about the education... It was rigorous, the professors were highly knowledgeable and helpful, and while I couldn’t find my “dream job” upon graduation due to the horrible economy, I eventually found the perfect position 7 years later, utilizing both degrees. My cost for this education? Right at $70,000. At this rate I’ll be paying off my remaining student loan with my Social Security check. To be burdened with a student loan like this is disheartening-knowing I could have spent far less by attending a “brick and mortar” college in the evenings.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

AIU has been a great experience for me. Throughout my BBA the courses I took helped me achieve many accomplishments at work. The knowledge from reading the chapters and the Intellipath Nodes I've gained more information that I could use at work, from risk registers to charters and much more. I graduated in July and the official last day of my program was August 7, 2018 and on August 8th I started my MBA courses. Whenever I had an issue with a professor or anyone else I contacted my student advisor or my enrollment advisor.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This is my 2nd go around at attending AIU and I don't know why I thought it was gonna be any different this time around. Financial Aid Dept is the worse! If they stop gossiping and actual focus of their job description, maybe some work will get completed. When I have an issue, with my money whether it's my Loans or VA payments, I contact financial aid. That's their job title, the money. Well I get every excuse, runaround, bogus lie every time about where my money is. Why is it just sitting there? Why isnt Paul paying Peter, etc? I don't understand why money has to go to corporate, take 100 extra days just to get to the school 102 more days to get then 103 more days to get to me. They have unnecessary steps to meddle people that are lazy, until you harass them about your money that's owe to you. Horrible way to do business!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: July 22, 2018

I've attended AIU for the past year or so. Usually I turn in my assignment in the assignment area of the Intellipath. This time in the Environmental Science class my instructor said she didn't receive the assignment. I called technical support and they said the assignment was turned in. This is the first time this has happened.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Every time I would attempt to do good with the classes through The Discussion Boards and Intellipath Exercises; along with my Financial Aid and go to 20 steps forward, I end up, going 5 steps backward. I'm really starting to get sick of them, nothing is ever good enough and they don't care. If your other computer does not work, they still fail you nor if you are trying to balance one class and getting back to the other, it's never enough time to finish any assignments, they continuously hide the Discussion Boards and expect you to find them, on your own, like you're some kind of Magician or something. I'm not Rumplestiltskin, deary, I need to actually see what I have to do, I can't make Hamburger without the Helper nor can I make Salmon Croquettes without the eggs?

I don't know what this school and the staff there are on, but whatever it is, they sure have no qualms with screwing students over time and time again. This school has been in practice for over twenty years and they are criminal, what was I thinking when I enrolled with them? I'm still having issues getting my Financial Aid Award letter approved and finalized, the guy; who is supposed to be approving it, is probably working with the IRS to reject it on purpose, they may be tearing up my letters. I'm better off, doing the old way of going to school, that is on campus. Online education is nothing more than a scam!

Original review: June 30, 2018

In 4 days trying to start my education... I have been misinformed, disregarded and played for a fool. I shared real details but I was obviously just a process. My time was wasted. I'm hurt. My grant is stuck with them. I was told I would get confirmations of the whereabouts, I still have to find a school, I'm so upset. My experience felt like a mockery for trusting. I've been crying all morning. My start date was 07/04/18. I'm really hurt. But they don't care.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My overall experiences with AIU was okay until I had a sick parent I was guardian over. This parent demanded a lot of my attention and care and I still had to work. I was his caregiver for four to two years. He died last September 2017. And I want to go back but I have a bill of about $3000 and until I pay that they won't let me re-enter. I have only 2 or 3 classes left to complete my degree. As other say, "Huge debt and no degree." How sad!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I went to this school from 2009-2012 learned absolutely nothing and never took one test in that time. Guaranteed a job in the field averaging 50k a year. In the 4 years post graduation the most I made was $16.00 an hr. Now with $45,000 in loans over my head I'm ruined with a worthless degree. You're better off in state college for way cheaper. Wish I could return the diploma.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I attended back in the beginning of 2003. Took 2 classes and dropped out before the classes were done. I was eligible for 2 loans (Sub and Unsub) and the Federal Pell Grant. I received a letter from a collection agency a few weeks ago for a balance of almost $900. I just received what they consider an itemized statement. They charged me FULL tuition of more than $4000.00 for attendance of less than 6 weeks and $340.00 for books. They kept two Pell disbursements along with my full Sub and Unsub loan. Which my student loans were paid for in full years ago.

Here we are 15 YEARS later!!! I have never been contacted by AIU or Career Education Corporation about ANY type of balance AT ANY TIME in the past. How convenient when Betsy DeVos, has effectively killed the team within the Department of Education (ED) charged with investigating for-profit colleges fraud and malfeasance. Former employees on the special team, which has now dwindled to three members, have been reassigned to different roles according to a major newspaper.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I’m currently an online student with AIU. I wish I had seen the reviews prior to enrolling. This is the second time I have had a condescending professor. The school site went down this past Tuesday 24 Apr. 18. All assignments are due by midnight Tuesday. I emailed professors and student advisor and was extended an additional day. Well once again trying to load the assignment the site kept timing out. Plus I couldn’t even find the assignment in my computer. Did not have the best week at all. I was finally able to load the assignment but to be safe I in turn emailed an attachment to the Professor (Pres111) only for the professor to send a condescending inflammatory message that it seems the only ones who experience tech issues are late or last day submissions. This was unprofessional and unnecessary. Yes I responded and expressed my concerns. The message was forwarded to my student advisor as well.

The professor in turns give me an unexplainable poor grade on my assignment. This was a direct blow for me responding to her inflammatory message. No one has the right to judge or criticize anyone especially when you don’t know their circumstances. I am only here to achieve a degree but I will not be disrespected by anyone including professors. I’m quite sure there are a few people who will join forces with me. I will be reporting this incident to the VA Dept of Education and the U.S. Dept of Education. It is becoming very clear that none of these online programs are being properly monitored or held accountable. Individuals seeking a better life and achieving their goals are being mistreated and taking advantage of. This is wrong and needs to be addressed and stopped. *Message given by professor was I missed several key elements but did not list any of them* after I addressed her inflammatory message.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I attended AIU South Florida for little bit less than a year in 2013 and left due to the school starting the process of closing down. I want a better life for myself and now I can't because I have a hold of $8,500 and can't continue my education until I pay AIU the hold. This is not letting me reach my American Dream.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My son was so excited to start school, but unfortunately the financial aid department has chosen to play keep away with his financial aid disbursements. I've contacted FAFSA and student loan.gov as well as a lawyer at the state attorney general's office and I was informed ALL monies are given to school to be disbursed within the first 30 days of enrollment. AIU has made my son's disbursement dates so far apart any stipend he would be due would be eaten up by their "additional" costs. No he did not attend college to just receive a refund, my son is very serious about his education, but he was informed when he got help filling out his FAFSA that any money left over could be used for educational purposes such as a new computer.

But to call, email or anything with the financial aid and to try and get a straight answer and not an answer that seems to be scripted or rehearsed. He then turned to his student advisor who did absolutely nothing but send him right over to the financial aid office who was not and is still not assisting him. AIU has been a big disappointment! In reviewing all correspondence my son has exchanged with the college I am now very suspicious of their financial aid department! We will be filing formal complaint papers with our local state attorney general's office as well the state attorney general's office in Illinois where AIU is located. I would advise anyone if you want an education do not attend AIU under any circumstances!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I went to AIU to get a degree thinking it would help me get a better job. However, that hasn't happened. They just got me farther in debt and no way of repaying loans. 11 years later, my loans are in default because what I do make doesn't cover payments.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Apparently nothing has changed with this school's financial aid department. They "recalculated" my aid three times. This is unmitigated BS! Thankfully withdrew last day of first week in the first term. Oh, and had to ask 3x for withdrawal form. No such form exists and they wanted to "talk" with me before approving it. HAHAHAHAHA. So I had to call in and ask a random adviser to do this for me...while I waited. AVOID THIS SCHOOL!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I love the online class. Graduated with my MBA in Healthcare Mangement. Live in MA then I found out I cannot transfer any of my credits to a MA college. No one will call me or answer my question why. After I spent thousands of dollars on my degree. I could not get my loan forgiven because I did what I was supposed to. Paid it on time. So when forgiveness time came I paid too much so I had to pay it off even though I was working in non profit field. But at least I can say I got my MBA. Most of the professors were very good teachers and understood that we worked and were coming back to school and explained things and took time to make sure we knew what we were doing. They did not give you a degree. You had to earn and work for your degree.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was attempting to obtain a degree in Business Administration with a focus on healthcare. I never received an my AA degree but have a outstanding loan balance of over $40,000 dollars. The most shocking part is that this amount don't include the dollar amount received from my financial aid be which is what the government paid in addition to the $40 grand. Also, I can accidentally realized that the enrollment department had enrolled me in a class that I didn't needed. I was so shocked, my grades dropped dramatically. Not to mention surviving cancer.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Recently, I began my graduate degree at AIU. My first class was about leadership. Ironically, the professor was a terrible leader. Her instructions were vague, confusing and unclear. For the final exam, we had to submit a 10-page paper. She told us what to write about, but not how to submit the work. I asked 3 times in class how to hand it in online. She ignored me and answered my email with "ask someone else." So I attached the paper as an email the night before it was due, only to be told I never submitted it. I went from an A to a C overnight, after working 5 weeks on that project.

The complaints office wouldn't help me, and my advisor is the only one who thought I could appeal. It is very unlikely. When you watch their videos about how great this will be, how much their staff cares, etc., keep in mind it is all lies. Your professor won't know your name or assist you in any way. You are just a number to them. I will be transferring if my student loans will allow.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This college is amazing because the class is hard but very enjoyable. The enrollment staff was very nice and knowledgeable. They helped me to pick my college plan based on what I want to get done. The teachers are very skilled and know what they are doing and the student advisor calls me every week to check my progress and feedback on the classes. The payments with the help of financial aid I can make it possible to attend AIU Online. I looked at many other online colleges but they didn't measure up to my ideals but AIU fit the billed.

I got a refund of $276.00 from AIU Online that amazed me because I never thought that it was possible for a college to do that. My degree is in BSIT with network administration because I love computers and when I get my degree I'm going back to AIU Online to get my Master's degree in the same field. I hope one day I will be able to teach at AIU Online as a part-time teacher in computers. I would tell everybody that this college is the best ever and they should be proud of the fact this college offers a lot of options for people to study for and get what they deserved.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

There are a lot of negative reviews out there. I don't know what is going on. But, most employers don't care where you get your degree from as long as it was accredited. I was employed almost immediately after graduation, 1st from the private sector then through schools. I received my degree in visual communications and it has been a very handy and versatile degree. The courses were tough but very thorough, not an easy A by any means. Maybe depends on the teacher(s). The cost was indeed high but nowadays most good schools are. Never had any troubles with the payments or financial aid. I was not kept in the dark about anything. I thought it was a very good investment and I am still using what I learn to this day in an educational environment as well as in the private sector.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I interviewed to work in admissions with the head of the department and his dimwitted assistant. They were reading off a packet of questions that had nothing to do with the job itself not to mention the questions were so outlandish that the two idiots interviewing were having trouble reading it themselves. The funniest part was watching them struggle to read the sentence and then look at me for the answer right after. Very unprofessional and I recommend the two dummies interviewing should pick easier questions in the future so they don't come off as dumb their university sounds.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I am a freshman student at American Intercontinental University online. I was not informed by admissions in April 2017, that individuals who reside in Texas and have a felony would not be eligible to utilize the earned Criminal Justice/Forensic Science Bachelor's degree nor have a career in this field in Texas. I learned this when completing an essay on careers I desire within criminal justice fields in Texas. I then spoke with my student advisor to see what could be done to change degree programs within the online campus, I was told that I must fill out a new enrollment form. I am concerned.

Why do I need to fill out a new enrollment form when all of my information is in their college database, and the only thing changing in this information that American Intercontinental University has is simply the degree program??? I am a 4.0 GPA student and have been at this online college since the first week of May 2017. I believe I may be getting scammed, but I really hope there is a legitimate reason for a new enrollment form being required to change programs within the same online campus. This college has been great in every other aspect of learning, however I have heard many negative things from students while in attendance within the AIU community which is why I am concerned.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've attended AIU since 2011 and obtained my BFA in 2016. I've had financial issues but I managed to work my way through regardless that I took my time in order to graduate. I decided to go back into school to get my MBA this year of 2017 and I can't believe I'm graduating again in 2018. It's an investment I decided upon myself and I had no issues with this school at all, guiding me in the right direction is all I need from them and I will deal with the rest. No complaints whatsoever and I don't want to write a book on here as a review but what I will say is, it's what you make of it.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

AIU engages in abusive predatory marketing and has continually and willfully violated the No Call list and No Spam Act by ignoring my no contact order, which requested they stop all future attempts to contact me by email, mail, phone, or texts. I made a permanent decision not to enroll once I learned more about their program costs; however, executive admissions staff from various states continue to harass me by email and phone despite my clear demands to be left alone. Report your experience to the US Department of Education.

Updated on 02/01/2018: Despite numerous documented requests, AIU refuses to comply with my no contact demands. The organization continues to violate No Call List restrictions, has not ceased abusive and predatory marketing harassment, and executive staff did not purge my contact records. I do not owe this company any money. I have never been an AIU student and never enrolled in any of their classes. I am not the least bit interested in their programs. STOP sending unwanted email and junk mail for random unknown "students" like Spencer **. Your communications are obnoxious and your spam does not include any way to unsubscribe or terminate unsolicited mail. Your actions have been reported.

American InterContinental University response

Hi Joseph, we hear your frustration about being contacted after electing not to attend AIU. We’ve added your listed phone number to our internal DNC (do not call) list, which should take effect within 24-48 hours. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am currently attending AIU. I started in August 2015 and I am set to graduate in December of this year. Overall, my experience has been great! However, there has been issues with the financial aid department and student accounts. They cannot get on the same page in regards to payments that need to be made. Luckily, I was able to get into contact with someone who knew what they were talking about. Not once did AIU state that they could get me a job in the career I'm pursuing.

They stated they could help me prepare and provide the necessary information I would need to help point me in the right direction. So I don't understand why so many people keep going on about how the school lied to them about getting a job. Everyone with common sense knows colleges and universities do not just give you jobs in any field. You have to work for it! I'm pretty satisfied with the school and glad I attended even though I will have to make payments on the loans, but I will be able to work in the career I've chosen because I've been putting forth the effort to make that happen instead of relying on handouts like so many others do these days.

American InterContinental University response

Chealsy, we're glad to hear your concerns with Financial Aid were resolved. It's wonderful to see students taking their futures into their own hands! We're proud to call someone with your attitude a student. Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out to your advisors and instructors!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was between jobs and wanted to further my education to help finding a better job. Somehow I came across this crap school. Like the others I was quickly accepted and set up with loans. My first quarter was a little difficult at first figuring out how the teachers wanted my work, once I figured that out work was easy and everything went well. However, my second quarter was a complete different story! The teachers wanted work done completely different, I had a very hard time figuring it out. Both semesters the teachers weren't good with communication leaving me completely in the dark and the groups for my classes were the same. Eventually in my second quarter I gave up and quit. Tell me why I owe over $11000 in loans that I can't afford to pay and are in forbearance?! This is for not even 2 quarters! From back in 2009! If anyone finds a way out of this please email me.

American InterContinental University response

Tema, we're sorry to hear your frustration and want to help. Financial aid is a confusing topic, so while we cannot discuss your case here, our financial aid department will be reaching out to you to discuss the issue.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

This school has taken advantage of NUMEROUS veterans including myself. They have done the same thing with EVERY DEGREE I have there, as well as my spouse who is a veteran and few other students. They mess around with your LEDGER balance close to graduation and the amount is almost always the same. If you do not contact them and threaten them (which still does NOTHING) They will make your LEDGER appear to be clear and on track. However, a few days before graduation, they tack on almost $3k worth of fees for military students which leaves veterans without their degrees or transcripts. Our money is taken from our VA Benefits as well as federal loans and this school, WITHOUT FAIL, does this every time. Please STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL. Myself, as well as a few other Veterans are seeking assistance with this issue, so if there is anyone who knows which direction to go please HELP!

American InterContinental University response

Tasha, we're sorry you feel this way about your experience. Financial aid can be confusing and we want to help clarify the issues you're concerned about. We have found your records in our system and will be having someone reach out to discuss.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I earned a 4-year accounting degree from AIU in 2008. AIU never lined up any interviews for me. (I later realized it was because no one's interested in their graduates.) Their career assistance consisted of emailing me ads for accounting jobs that appeared in local newspapers. Many of those jobs required far more experience than a new graduate would have. My job search did not go well. I began to think that perhaps employers preferred graduates from traditional universities as opposed to those from for-profit schools like AIU. I believe that AIU has a sordid reputation, even among predatory for-profit schools, and that's why the Obama administration rightfully attempted to rein them in.

I had been working in sales at the time I was enrolled in AIU but decided I had to get a real 9 to 5 job as I wasn't making enough money. My job search started in fall of 2008. It took me until November of 2010 to find employment. Even then, the job I found was one I could have easily gotten without any post high school education. I found a job as an Accounting Assistant, not an Accountant. It was one of the lowest paying jobs in the organization. I know this for a fact since I worked in payroll. That's the value of an AIU education. It takes you forever to find a low paying job you could have gotten without going massively into debt for an inferior education.

The classes at AIU simply aren't as rigorous as they would be at other institutions. So you don't know as much as students who graduated from real colleges. You can't compete with them, and I believe that employers don't respect graduates of AIU because they know these online for-profit schools are a scam. I would recommend that all high schools and other organizations that guide young people steer them away from online for-profit schools. The emphasis is on PROFIT, not STUDENTS.

Robin,

We're sorry you feel this way about your AIU degree; we stand strongly behind our education, as do many alumni. In addition, providing students and alumni with potential opportunities to pursue on their own is one way our Career Coaches assist students, but the team can also assist in preparing you to pursue these opportunities in a variety of ways, from building and tailoring resumes and cover letters to interview practice and preparation to building your professional network. If you would like to email us your contact info at socialmedia@aiuniv.edu, we can have a Career Coach reach out to you directly to help you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

First let me begin by saying that I have 2 degrees from AIU. This school has helped me to be a better person as well as has given the education that I need to meet the demands of employers in today's workforce. It wasn't easy and it takes a lot of patience but my reward was waiting for me in the end. I encourage anyone who has the desire to do it. I haven't been in school for over 30 years; with that being said if I can do it so can you and I got all "A's" in my Master's program. Good Luck on your future endeavors.

American InterContinental University response

Marilyn, your perseverance sets an example to all of our students, and we're proud to call you an alumna! Best of luck to you in the future. - Chris at AIU

American InterContinental University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American InterContinental University is a for-profit university with physical campuses in Atlanta, Georgia and Houston, Texas. It is a regionally accredited university with a robust offering of online education options. American InterContinental University was founded in 1970.

• Online and physical campuses: American InterContinental University gives you the option of attending classes online or in physical classrooms. Campuses in Houston and Atlanta give you a classroom experience, and online courses give you the freedom to take classes that fit your own schedule.

• Intellipath: Intellipath is AIU’s unique, personalized learning platform. With Intellipath, you can enter your academic goals and any credits you may have, and the program will map out a customized educational path fit your academic needs.

• Military scholarship: For women and men serving in the armed forces, AIU offers 45 percent tuition reduction. AIU also offers military grants to help pay for school as well as benefits to spouses and families of students in the military.

• Transfer credits: If you want to transfer to AIU, AIU will make sure you get the most out of transferrable credits. AIU accepts up to 75 percent of qualifying credits to help you save on tuition expenses.

• Adaptable curriculum: AIU encourages students to find a schedule that works for them. Whether you want to go to school full- or part-time, AIU will help you find a personal schedule that fits into your life.

• Best for: military, international, working or any other students in need of an online education.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs