American Intercontinental

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am so glad that I found all of the reviews, ripoff reports, and BBB reports on this school. The only good reviews I have seen are from people currently attending, oblivious to the fact that when they "graduate" (if this school even gives them their diploma), they won't find a job, and they'll quickly realize that all of that financial aid they were granted? Yeah, the school pocketed it and did not apply it to their tuition. Of course while you're taking classes it all seems too good to be true. Your advisor makes it this way because if you withdrawal or fail, they don't make money. I got the same runaround from these advisors that I'm sure everyone else did. I requested information and got multiple phone calls from what I can at best say are very good salesmen. Everything sounded so great, and I spent an hour on the phone with Ty ** filling out the application, FAFSA, and was pressured into starting classes much sooner than I ever intended to.

All of a sudden I was an AIU student. It kind of caught me off guard and I looked into it more. I also got a hold of military family that have gotten their BS degrees online and NOBODY has ever heard of them. That right there is a red flag out of hundreds. When I called to cancel my enrollment it turned into them trying to convince me to stay for 10-15 minutes. They stopped when I brought up the probation they were under that was never mentioned when I asked about accreditation when I was enrolling. It took me another three phone calls before my status finally read "cancelled." I was convinced they weren't going to cancel me until after classes began and would have tried to charge me, because it's been done before. I am very glad I got out when I did, before any classes began.

PLEASE do your research! There are SO MANY online schools that are SO much better. This school is for-profit and that is never a good idea. Non-profit state schools that offer online/distance learning are the way to go! They are recognized by employers, much more reputable and not to mention cheaper! Now that I have done my research and found a state school that works for me, I don't understand why anyone would pay over 55k to attend AIU. Look into your options... ASU, Penn State, UMUC, FSU, and many, many more. I rarely ever write reviews on anything, but I hope this saves some poor soul from going into massive debt for a degree that will get them nowhere.

I attended AIU Online from 2004-2006. The financial adviser never provided me with any indication of final cost, an idea of payments, how the loans were to be dispersed, no information on how signature loans worked and their potential interest rates. My 4.0 GPA was ruined due to one professor failing a paper which was 60% of my final grade because turned in 2 hours late, even after my explanation of having an emergency with a close family member and was unable to access a computer for most of the weekend. The quality of classes were a joke. I learned very little that I didn't already know from work experience. I was forced to take Art Appreciation and history classes for a Business degree.

In 2006 I graduate with an associates degree and am expected to start immediately paying $568 per month. Sallie Mae refusing to help with lowering my payments, years and year of hassle, collection harassment with me and my entire family (anyone listed as references or anyone they happened to skip-trace and locate as a potential connection to me). Final tally out the door: $24,725.00 - Current balance owed 10 years later: $64,157.00. Yes, that's over $39,432.00 in interest. Get this, I've been making payments on this balance every month. Imagine the shock and horror of making $11/hr and owing $65,000 in student loans.

AIU says they are military friendly, they are not. I have been fighting with financial aid for a year now. I have had FA laugh when I call and ask about the status. The teachers are not any better. I followed the Rubic in the DB, but the teacher said I did not go into depth enough when commenting on post I was given an F. In another class I had an A got one F and the teacher dropped my grade from an A to D. I went to another college before I decided to just do online and held a 3.5 to 4.0 GPA. With AIU I have a 1.95. I turn my work in early and got 10% knocked off my grade for being late. If you are a veteran stay away from AIU. They are not Veteran friendly. Don't waste your GI Bill here.

This school has been thousands of dollars in debt and state; I didn't follow my agreement with them. I did what my student advisor told me to do and because of that I was not allowed to finish my degree without paying out of pocket for the rest. Now I owe 40,000 in student loans and only needed three classes to graduate. This school has no accountability for its staff. My husband also enrolled but never attended and they put 3000 on his credit when he never even went to class.

Low quality education not worth price, pushy like salespeople. I had taken online courses before through the University of Illinois which were more challenging than in-person classes because of the need to be self-motivated and disciplined, but the teachers were very intelligent, engaged, providing constructive criticism, and the material and tests were timed and challenging, often requiring essay responses. You definitely learned. But at AIU, anyone can get an 'A.' It's a joke! For example, a comprehensive executive review was to be completed with all its sections on the subject matter, published on the bulletin board, and discussed by classmates.

I was the only person who posted one. Every other person simply commented in about a sentence or two as to what an Executive Summary is, practically verbatim copied from some dictionary definition. And the reply by the teacher regardless what any student says is something to the effect "Great job!" "Keep up the good work." "Thanks for all your hard efforts." They have nothing of substance to add or teach. I never saw any form of criticism or contrary commenting. They only want to heap false praise on you because they just don't want you to quit. They want to make sure they get paid.

The "advisor" calls you constantly to make sure you're attending classes (which never happened at other schools) because they don't get their commission if you don't attend, treating you as if you're an irresponsible child. It's very annoying, as I always attended and got straights A's with virtually no effort, which was about 100x more effort than most of my classmates were making. Their "Intellipath" has a few bits of useful information in it, but anyone can pass it as there are only a few questions you are actually, multiple choice, it's not timed, and you can do it over and over again until you get it right. If you learn anything, it's because you taught yourself, but to get an A you don't HAVE to do anything, so that makes their degrees worthless. They cost a fortune and you walk away with nothing. I don't know how they got accredited.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Intercontinental?

I attended AIU from 2014-2015. I enjoyed every minute of it. Lots of support from staff, easy workload and tons resources for research and studying. The curriculum was set up in a way that made it easy to learn, yet challenging enough to be effective. Contrary to other reviews, AIU is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. This is the same accreditation that major universities have, I know this because I checked. I actually verified with three major and highly ranked university, that they will accept credits from AIU. I graduated with an Associates in Business Adminstration, and was able to obtain a new career with that degree. I will be returning to AIU for my Bachelors Degree in March. Thanks AIU!

So I attended AIU in February of 2016, hoping that I would be able to get my associates in Criminal Justice. I had to take an Orientation first to see if I was even able to get into the school. Turns out I failed the orientation, so they told me that I was not able to attend. Then next thing I know, two weeks later I get a call saying that I owe $1,400 for the orientation I got kicked out of. I told them that I was not going to pay as they had not told me ANYTHING about having to pay for orientation.

So I've been looking up online about the reviews and see that many people are dissatisfied with AIU. I will be calling them tomorrow to send me the contract (once again, because the first time I looked it over it said that you will not be charged for orientation) and if I see what I read the first time, then I am going to be pursuing a class action lawsuit. If anyone else would like to join me, then feel free to message me. I should not have to pay $1,400 for something that they kicked me out of. It is absolutely ridiculous. I wish I would have read the reviews to save me time.

I graduated from American International University in 2007 with a Bachelor's in Accounting and Finance. The University was very clear on pricing. The online setup was very easy to navigate - way better than Blackboard. Yes, it was expensive - I got what I paid for. Did they hand me a job when I graduated? No. I had to go get my own job. Was I paid a higher wage because I had my degree? Yes. Do I think a college degree is necessary to do the work I do in the finance industry - probably not. Have a degree gives me the qualification I needed to even apply. Getting the job was up to me. I had two teenagers when I was going through this program. It was really hard. We all worked really hard together. It was an excellent example to set. I have zero regrets and nothing negative to say about my experience as a student at AIU.

I attended AIU in 2010 to the 2013. Receive a degree but I am like $42,000 in debt and don't see how. Went to this financial advisor, was told everything was okay. My financial part was covered by my financial aid. Only have to pay a smaller amount but at the end of graduation and six months afterwards I get a total charge of $42,000 in debt. They kept adding additional classes and then told me that was added on after the criteria was overlooked. If there any class action lawsuits I would love to be a part of it. Send me or call me with any information.

I graduated from this school with a B.A. in business with a 4.0 in 2005-2008 and the whole way through I was asking what it was going to cost as far as payments went and got the same run around as everyone else, "Oh don't worry they work with you and your payments will be very manageable", 469.00 a month manageable. So when I couldn't get a job because I was unqualified and they fell through on their promise to help me find a job I defaulted and then the hell really started, calling all hours of the day and night every single day and just nasty on the phone.

Had I known the cost up front and the trouble I had got into I would of never EVER went with this school but they kept the promises coming of a better life making good money at the end. 11 years later and still have not once used this degree but I am still in huge debt because of it. I have a CDL that I use to pay the bills with. As for the Idiots that are on here praising this school you're lucky you dodged a bullet. Feel lucky you're not in one of our shoes. I worked hard too!

As the previous 40 or so consumers, AIU did the same thing to me. I attended back in 2007-08. Before agreeing to the school terms I asked several times about the payments that would need to be made monthly after getting loans and government help, and was told, "Oh, as long as you make some kind of payment to them every month you will be fine."

Well you know how that went... I was cut off from access to my classes, had to play catchup every time a new class started. The dollar amount went up each time until the point where I could not afford it anymore. I would get letters in the mail telling me I owe 40 something thousands of dollars. I told them there's no way I owe that much if I didn't finish the total course of 40 something thousands of dollars. And furthermore AIU prices were ridiculous, but I was told the school was accredited. Now I'm reading all of these reviews and they are NOT... UNREAL! And here it is 2016 and I'm still paying and trying to make sense of not having a degree with them. TOTAL RIPOFF! I am so in agreement of a lawsuit. Count me in also.

American Intercontinental Uni. contacted me over the phone and they were so nice and supportive I almost couldn't believe it. As the conversation went on I started to get nervous because it was all looking too good to be true. I noticed a review where someone talked about postponing their enrollment and AIU guilt tripped them into starting sooner which is exactly what they did to me! So, we got to the part where they wanted me to sign off on the application and input my social security as an electronic signature. Immediately I got a sick feeling in my stomach and when I told the AIU adviser that I wanted to take some time to look over all of the fine print before entering my social and accepting, she quickly reassured me that after signing I would be able to review all of the pdf documents of the agreements but something still felt off.

I told them I didn't feel comfortable giving out my social on a whim without doing my homework, and I told them I would call back on Monday once I'd had the opportunity to do just that. I then started looking up reviews and stumbled across this site and I'm so thankful that I did. So, thank you for taking time to review them. You saved me a lot of potential stress and setbacks that I'm not sure I could handle at this stage with everything already being screwed up. I'm just going to go get my degree at a local community college man. Screw messing around with these online vultures. You 1 star reviewers are the real MVP.

4 years of hell & graduated with a 3.85 GPA... Read reviews 4 years ago, should of listened. They were bad then... 30% graduation rate, now I understand. Online with Zero help in getting the know how to use the system, once you do they change it up and you start over. A BS was to cost 33K to get a degree. Now, 50K later they refuse to mail me my Certificate because they messed up my student loans 2 times and they want me to pay an extra 5K to get that paper. Got to love those hidden EXTRA fee - they add up. Could not get anyone to call me back in 4 years, now I have graduated - they are hounding me every other day. Job placement is a joke, 4 month to write a resume with them. I have a BS in healthcare and I can not use it, I do not qualify for 95% of the jobs, I need more schooling that AIU does not offer. What I learned... NOTHING and again A student.

Not sure what kind of problems everyone is having or if the complaints are coming from the "entitled" generation but I was completely satisfied with AIU. I graduated with BIT Network Administration in 2006. I transferred in an AA in Engineering Science from a Community College. After I received the Bachelors Degree I was awarded with a $20,000 pay raise from my employer. As someone had previously state, online schools are not for everyone. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure you are getting what you are paying for. Do your research first.

I went to AIU around 2008 because I didn't want to go back to traditional college. I got a BA in Business Management thinking it would help me further my career. The red flag, I should have pay attention to, is when school change cities. Another red flag is when I couldn't contact one teacher. By that time I gotten my BA and had no help trying to get a job. All I got was 60k in debt and no job. When I looked for jobs most of the companies said, "What is American Intercontinental University?" I was unemployed for 5 months then I worked in retail. This school was really all for profit. I'm still paying this loan off. This school has put a bad taste in my mouth. Please do your research and don't go to this school. I got burn.

It behooves me that we have people that after years and years have passed come on sites like this and continue to ridicule AIU by making complaints in 2016. What's your purpose? I find that AIU is a good fit for me and have nothing to complain about. After all, unlike the numerous complaints seen here, I read the fine print and understood what I was getting myself into. I graduate in 2017 and have maintained a 3.93 gpa because I worked hard, studied hard, and applied myself.

Online classes are not for everybody. PLEASE do your research on any college that you are interested in attending, whether it is online or not. I guarantee you, though, that the same people who are complaining about AIU will complain about the next school they attend. By the way, college costs us a good deal of money. Surely, you people realize that college isn't free. Put your big boy and big girl pants on, study hard, and apply yourself and you will be satisfied. Move on with life because rest assured your cries of complaints after the fact will continue to fall on deaf ears.

My story sounds familiar to one posted by a woman in ILL. I attended AIU in the fall of 2005 - summer of 2006. I was one class away from finishing my Bachelors in Business Management when I got a phone call from my advisor that said I had lied about my transcripts and now needed to take 6 more classes to complete my degree and that I should have started off in the Associates Program because it would have cost less and I'd already be done. Huh? I had more than 60 transfer hours. My last class didn't even have anything to do with my degree as I had finished all of those classes. My last class was going to be Art History. So I dropped it because there is no point in taking art history for a business degree that they weren't going to give me.

I argued and argued with them because there is no way to lie about your transcripts when they have sealed copies sent to them by my previous university!! Ten years later I have over $40,000 in SL debt because of them. And NO degree. They've also had the audacity to call me off and on offering for me to come back, at my cost of course. The kicker - I'd have to start all over and NONE of my previous classes with them would transfer in their own school!!

I have a had a bad and expensive experience with this so-called university. I only took 10 courses and I owe them more than $25,000. The classes were under two months long each. I took one class at a time. This was a plan they said they set up for people like me, working mother of three, so I could earn a degree at home. The classes required me to log on and post to the forum once a week and write a paper of a certain required word limit, usually equal to one page. That's it, turn that in and get an A. Wow. This is easy, I thought, until I realized I wasn't learning anything new or anything that was going to prepare me for a job in the field. I was essential buying a worthless degree. Financial Aid office would call me and tell me it was time to sign new papers to continue my aid.

Since the classes cost a considerable amount more than the federal aid provided, I did not get the overpay that one would normally get from attending a regular campus community college. When I asked for an additional $1000 to cover my expenses, they said no, that amount was not allowed, that I was required to take the full $5000 or nothing at all. Having never been to college before I didn't know better. I figured it out when the same assignments were given to me in my Medical Records class and in my Medical Coding class. One example assignment was: Explain the pros and cons of switching from paper to electronic records. Same assignment in both classes. When I confronted them about it over the phone, they dropped the program. I would like to be part of any lawsuit against them. Please contact me!!!

I obtained an Associates in Business Administration, and a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I am a disabled veteran and used my GI Bill and Federal Student Loans to go to this school. I now owe around $53,000 in debt that I will NEVER be able to pay off. I had applied for dozens of jobs on USAjobs.gov and even in jobs that education alone should qualify me for, I do not qualify for them. I went to the VA and talked to them about retraining and they told me that little, if anything, I got credit for in AIU would be able to transfer to ANYTHING else. They advised me that some of my credits are just made up because of my military service and law enforcement training. These schools prey on military and I am telling you now that if you are thinking of going to this school using the GI Bill... pop smoke because this place will rip you off.

I too was scammed by this program back in 2006. I was one month away from receiving my degree, Bachelors in Business Management, when I received a call from my "Advisor" that I needed three more classes and the cost would be another $4000. Since I was tapped out on my student loans, this amount would have to come out of my pocket. I did not have the money so I ended up having to drop out at that semester. At this time I didn't realize that this online university was not accredited. They told me over and over again that they were an accredited university. So here I am 10 years later still $25,000 in debt, no degree from this university and the kicker to the whole thing is even after I dropped out they harassed me for almost a year to try and get the $4,000 for classes that I never even registered or took.

I finally had to get my attorney involved who wrote them a letter and they finally stop harassing me and I never heard from them again. I know that it's very easy for people to judge from the outside looking in but I was a single mom of three kids working a full time job and I knew if I could get my degree, I already had an associates at the time of registering with this university, I could improve the lives of all of us financially because I would be eligible for better positions within the company I was working. Well shame on me and in hindsight it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway knowing that the degrees from this university weren't worth the paper that they were written on. I am absolutely onboard if anyone would like to contact me or include me on a class action lawsuit. Thank you!

I earned a M. Ed. at AIU Online. The classes seemed real. I met all requirements for attendance, projects, papers and forum participation. I feel pride in having completed the degree. Yet, despite my listing on my resume and on sites such as LinkedIn, I have to report that the degree has not aided me in getting any job over the last ten tears since graduation. I get the sense that the AIU degree is viewed as a throw-away degree. That's too bad, because I had a good time earning it. And it did require hard work on my part.

I was promised that a Master's degree would significantly increase my earning power. That did not happen. I graduated $28,000 in debt, an amount that has now grown to over $40,000. I have had to default, with significant negative consequences. Since the degree has added nothing to my career, I would gladly surrender the degree to wipe out the debt. If I ever do get a permanent job in my field of study, the first year of work will have to go toward working off the loans that AIU encouraged me to agree to on the promise that I would be able to get a better job. Additionally, job assistance was promised during the enrollment process. That assistance never materialized. I do not recommend the institution.

In 2003 I enrolled at AIU in their year-long intensive Masters of Education online degree. I needed (forced by State Teacher Certification Law) to get the degree to keep my teacher certification. I made my choice based upon their accreditation and that I could take classes around my schedule. What I didn't know is that they were in the process of losing that accreditation. I did not have any issues with the courses or how classes were handled. As a matter of fact, I worked my butt off and learned quite a bit. My course work was good and I've still got it.

I left teaching in 2008 in order to take a job in corporate training using the Master's degree. That turned out to be a ripoff as well. I now come to find out that this degree that I've paid (and still am struggling to pay) so much for and touted as qualification is pretty much a joke. I know now why I don't get callbacks to jobs I'm perfectly qualified for. AIU sold me a service and a product and then deliberately proceeded to make it worthless with their business practices.

AIU needs to know that they are accountable to the graduates who worked hard and finished their programs. Graduates who now can't get a decent job because their degree is from a university that is largely known as a fraud. Students whose characters have been damaged by association with this fraudulent school. This is my life they screwed up. I don't want forgiveness of my student loans. I want damages enough to pay the school loan people back so the US taxpayer isn't defrauded as well. Additionally I think enough damages to support my family and myself as I get a worthwhile degree from a qualified university.

I attended American Intercontinental University online for almost two and a half years and graduated with a Bachelors in Business back in June 2015. I still haven't received a diploma or anything. I've contacted them several times through email but they still haven't responded. I also don't feel like I learned anything for those two and a half years. I don't feel like I'm qualified to even apply to any corporations based on the knowledge that I received at AIU. AIU was suppose to help me land a job after graduation but I haven't heard from anyone yet.

I would like to join the class action suit against them. I think their program is fraudulent. I had to drop two of my classes after a week because according to the dashboard the classes were set to start a week after. So I went in to start working on that class only to find out that the class had started a week prior and I was behind a week. I was still charge for those two classes and had to retake them again.

I had my associate’s degree. They made me retake some of those classes. I went for 2 1/2 years, graduating with my bachelor’s degree in March 2015. I got a full Pell Grant to attend and still have a $60,000 debt. They told me they had job placement. This is not true. I can't find a job still. Not even an interview. I'm pretty pissed. Now, I'm facing losing my home because I can't find a job. My loan payment is almost $1200 a month? This shouldn't be allowed. I need help? Any advice? I would LOVE to join in on a class action lawsuit! And, this should entail all the sleepless nights and time put into this. What a waste.

I attended AIU America Intercontinental University back in 2006 for 2 weeks. They had my dad take out a private loan for $8,000. I never saw or used that money. I start getting harassed by Navient who I tell I didn't use the money, I call the school here, they kept me on their registered list for an additional 3 months. What can I do?

I attended AIU back in 2004-05 to get my Bachelors in Business Administration and was guaranteed a job upon graduation. Well here I am 10 years later and $20,000+ in debt with student loans and working two jobs that do not have anything to do with my degree! Think twice before signing up with this so called university as they only excel in guilting you into staying and taking your money. I should've just went to a community college where at least I know I would get my overage check and a job afterwards, instead of being told I'm inexperienced and under qualified! I am definitely interested in any type of lawsuit against AIU, or some type of loan forgiveness. If there is anything out there please, please let me know.

This school scams people out of their money. Not only is the tuition far too high--so high in fact that student loans won't cover the full cost, but they also withhold monies/refunds from military students. Despite them being paid via student loans, they still won't release the money that the Department of Veterans Affairs has issued to them and they keep claiming they have not received it despite the VA providing account information that it was paid via direct debit to the school WEEKS ago. SCAM ALERT. GO ELSEWHERE!

Went to apply for jobs and got sucked into the education trap (where several schools will call/email for several weeks) of the third party. Thought AIU online would be good for me since they have a seemingly manageable MHCA grad program. Pretty easy to get your docs in. However, you do not schedule your own classes; your advisor will. (Mini spiderweb trap: therefore you will eventually get automatically charge tuition at $500+ a credit hour for grad school X 6 = scary!!!!)

If you ask to push back your start a month, (spiderweb trap #1) they will guilt you into starting when originally planned. You start to learn about the school through your own or through sites like this and want to drop/disenroll/withdraw? Starts Spiderweb #2: you can't just request withdrawal or cancellation of enrollment. They will talk to you for 10-15 minutes trying to keep and trap and guilt you to not leave. Bottom line: if you the student do not agree with how the school does business you have the right to cancel/withdraw without being guilted!

I was withdrawn from my classes because I was retaking a call online and had not redone some work because it was already done. I was working on the 2 missing projects that needed to be done. I didn't know that you had to log in every week. I tried to get back into classes and it was rejected. I'm angry that I'm not allowed to continue with the program! Make sure that if you take classes with online college and you have to retake any classes, make sure you log in no matter what and post something!

I am posting this to give guidance to any young person looking into the Fashion industry and feel this is a great school choice. Please rethink your decision on this particular school. I myself attended AIU after receiving my BS in Computer Science at a different university. My total cost for my BC in Computer Science was around 40K. I went to AIU for less than a year and decided to leave because of the cost (major: Fashion Design & Marketing). I was in class one day and was contacted and told to go to the Financial Aid office as my cost were not covered. When I initially signed up for the school I was fully covered but somewhere in the process (1st Qtr) the funding ran out. They did not explain to me why... I left the school about a qtr after with close to 17K in debt for less than a year of education.

I would highly suggest going to a more notable school for Fashion Design and save your parents and yourself the unnecessary cost for and a below the bar education. Look into schools that have great reviews and great alumni... Two or Three notable alumni is not good enough. Hopefully this will be some form of suit against this university or maybe debt forgiveness as it is needed. Kindest, Disappointed they are still manipulating eager students.

American Intercontinental Company Profile