Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.37/5

American InterContinental University

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

View More View More

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

127 American InterContinental University Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 14, 2019

I am back in a fresh start and new perspective with AIU, the staff is friendly and helpful, but when it comes to being on the Virtual Campus, I started getting an error, I don't know why or how. But something is not quite right, when I talked to Technical Support about it, it seems like there is nothing they can do and I have download Mozilla Firefox. This just started this past Friday. I know that is negative energy surrounding me returning to school and being on my Chromebook. I wonder if I never returned, would I have, had this problem? It's rhetorical, no. I'm fighting an uphill between me and my enemies; who they can mess with me and I won't fight back, oh, but I will. I have feelings too, I don't like no one telling how I can't be myself. I will continue to do that!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am currently attending AIU, and I will have to say that I have had no issues, applying was easy. I had an advisor walk me through the process. I applied for financial aid, which again I was walked through, again I had no issues. Currently I have been getting on to my classes just fine and completing the assignment with no issues, would recommend this to someone who is looking to do online classes.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

AIU has been a great experience for me. Throughout my BBA the courses I took helped me achieve many accomplishments at work. The knowledge from reading the chapters and the Intellipath Nodes I've gained more information that I could use at work, from risk registers to charters and much more. I graduated in July and the official last day of my program was August 7, 2018 and on August 8th I started my MBA courses. Whenever I had an issue with a professor or anyone else I contacted my student advisor or my enrollment advisor.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I remember saying how they tear up your financial aid papers, when you go to the library and print them out exactly how they ask you. You sign your first and last name as a signature, with your phone and social. I thought I was wrong, especially how overjoyed I was to be back in this school. Then early this morning, I got withdrawn again.

No wonder why my cat started laying in the foot of my bed with me, he knew I was going to be screwed by them again. That is the one problem I have. I can't get ahead in life. There has a been a continuous wicca ritual place on me, where I can't go nowhere and do nothing, so this school confirms it. I fail one class, they say three, baloney! I take back everything I said. This is a school that I will permanently stay away from and probably anything to do with school and the very near future and return to being a bum and a loser. That was much better for me, than trying to be something special and with this school. I dread the day I enrolled in AIU, what was I thinking? I must have been high!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I graduated from AIU with a Masters in Health Administration, with a goal to join the U.S. Navy Healthcare program as an officer. Few months before graduation, I found out from a navy recruiter that I am not able to due to the fact that AIU accreditation is not accepted by the U.S. Navy. Over 80K in loans, and I was told to go to another University with an accreditation that is accepted. At this point, after all this student loan and hard work and years invested, I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Current student in the Criminal Justice Online Program. DO NOT GO HERE! This is my first college ever so I wasn’t really sure about what to look for in a school. I definitely know what to watch out for now. Classes are NOT flexible. They claim to be Military friendly, but aren’t really. Only received 4.5 credits for my military service which translates to only 3 credits because the school uses quarter credits. And I had to take these required elective classes (like 3 or 4) about self development that were a huge waste of time. I have credits they could have used from my military transcript because I’ve done over 80 hours of self development training.

I have had some good instructors and I have had a lot of bad ones. The instructors do not provide clear instructions on assignments and are never available when you have questions. I am active duty so the only real time I have for school work is on the weekends. If I run in to confusion on assignments I have to wait 'til at least Monday for a response and the deadlines are always Tuesday at midnight.

Instructors will provide grading rubrics that they do not stick to so good luck getting the grade you deserve. Most instructors have a god complex and want you to kiss their feet. I emailed an instructor because of the way she graded my paper. She took off point for saying that I didn’t mention key points in my assignment that I DID MENTION. When I pointed this out to her she said she was justified and not changing my grade. She also took 10% off of my final grade for an essay and for discussion assignments that I had submitted late because I didn’t provide proof that my father-in law had passed away. She never asked for proof.

Another instructor did not provide clear instructions on an assignment. I messaged her multiple times asking for clarification and if I could redo the assignment and just turn it in as late last Friday and she didn’t respond to any of my messages. I ended up redoing the assignment and emailing her when I submit it and she just said that she can’t accept it and she trusts that I understand. She wouldn’t even LOOK at it.

I have also ended up having to pay out of pocket for classes because my academic advisor did not call me back within the add drop window so I had to be withdrawn from the class and my grant wouldn’t cover it. They also use a HORRIBLE software called Intellipath which is basically a system to do lessons on and answer questions and it is worth roughly 1/3 of your total grade. The Intellipath has SO many errors and typos and information that is completely wrong or contradicts itself. I have complained to instructors, technical support, and my academic advisor and they all said that there was nothing that could be done because it’s a third-party system.

My military financial aid advisor dropped off the face of the earth for MONTHS (since January) and was unavailable to help me or answer any questions about anything. I finally heard from her on Monday and it was only because they had not received confirmation that I applied for tuition assistance for an upcoming class. I didn’t apply because I’m not taking that class due to my stress level and being 7 months pregnant. This school doesn’t even deserve 1 star. I’m finishing out my last 4 classes and never looking back. I can’t believe this place is accredited.

Original review: March 6, 2019

They will not stop calling after I withdrew from enrollment before I had even decided to begin classes because I had received a better opportunity with another University but they still call me from multiple numbers from different area codes which is pretty shady. It's been almost 8 months of nonstop calling and I never answer so I'm not sure why they don't take the hint. I also withdrew because I've heard of many scandals and bad reviews to this college so I did the smart thing and left before I started anything so I wouldn't owe them money. I feel like they have a team of telemarketers that don't know when to quit. Even when I told them once I was at work and could not talk they just ignored it and kept going. If you're not going to understand I'm at work before I even enroll how are you going to understand if I actually enrolled. Please leave me alone.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I began AIU Online back in 2015. Everything was fine to start with. Admissions were super nice and knowledgeable about the process. I started my BA in Business Administration with concentration in Human Resources. My GPA was 2.9. Unfortunately, in 2016 my mom found out she had lung cancer. It was very aggressive. I contacted my advisor and informed them about my situation. Still completing assignments and attending the chats. In 2017, I lost my mom and was going through a difficult pregnancy so I informed them that I needed to pause my classes. I was dismissed from the program even while keeping them informed. I was denied appeal twice.

On last week, I was contacted by AIU to return. I again had to write an appeal letter, send my mom’s obituary, send medical records while writing in detail what occurred. I was contacted days later saying my “excuse" wasn’t good enough and I needed to provide a more traumatic story because I had already told them this. I was completely livid. Not only did you make me relive a traumatic experience but to tell me that wasn’t traumatic enough was very disheartening. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone else. Please choose another option.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I know my headline is a little confusing but it will make sense once I'm done. I attended AIU back in 2002 and graduated in 2004. When I was looking for an online school I gave them a call and was told by their recruiter that I would be able to find a great job in my field once I was done. The classes were fine; however, my financial aid was always messed up. When I graduated with my bachelor's in business administration, I didn't owe the school any money at all. My advisor talked me into going back and getting my MBA to better my chances of getting a great job. I enrolled in the program; however, I didn't like their Masters program at all. I decided to withdraw after speaking with the financial aid department to make sure I would not owe a balance. I was told on numerous occasions that I would not owe a dime if I withdrew by a certain date. I did this and all seemed fine.

I was not able to find a job in my field at all and after 2 years decided to go overseas to teach English. This didn't utilize my degree at all. When I returned after a year I found a job in the human services field and decided to go back to school for that. I contacted AIU to get transcripts and they immediately tried to get me to come back to the school for my Masters. I told them that I was not a fan of their Masters program and places my order for official transcripts. About a week later I received a letter in the mail from them telling me I owed thousands of dollars to the school for the Masters program so they would not release my bachelors transcripts. When I told them I didn't owe any money and that I was given transcripts for my job in Japan without an issue 2 years after I graduated, they basically told me to prove I didn't owe it. I had nothing left from the school regarding financial aid because I didn't think I would need it.

They have been holding my transcripts hostage since 2007 and they refuse to give them to me. I had to pay over $700 just to get an official copy for a job that I applied for. I just find it strange that I didn't owe a dime to this school but when I declined to enroll back into their Masters program, I now owe money. This school is a rip off and you should stay far away from it. They should he sued and shut down for how they treat people.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This is a FOR PROFIT organization and boy is that no joke. These swindlers have been harassing me for 14 years demanding payments upwards of $1000 — I NEVER was a student with AIU!! I stopped signing up before I was completed with the application yet the submitted my application to FIGSA anyway and I ended up paying nearly $4000 in federal student loan fees for a course I never attended. I never took one single class nor did I sign into their student portal one single time.

Now, 14 YEARS LATER, they have just submitted a “debt” to my credit hindering my credit score and messing with my life. All they want is your money. They do NOT care about your education or your future and they actively take actions to prevent your future from moving forward by milking your finances through debt collectors. Do not waste your time and NEVER give this crooked company any of your personal information! All they will do is hinder your life and steal your hard-earned money! Now I’m stuck paying hundreds of dollars to a school program I never attended. Save yourself the harassment and find another program! Find a legitimate program because AIU is NOT reputable. They are thieves and will continuously harass you for the rest of your life! As they monitor all reviews I’ll nearly bet this won’t be posted because these thieves will take any and all measures to steal your money and never let you rest.

For your sake, do NOT give them your name or any other personal information and save yourself the constant harassment and financial ** this joke of a facility will inflict on your life. They are completely for profit and do everything unthinkable to take your money, even if you choose not to attend their courses. Don’t be like me and put your trust into this joke school. Find a community college in your area and get your education from a reputable facility. I cannot warn you enough of the financial ** this AIU will cause you throughout your future! Avoid this place because it is a plague on your financial future!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I graduated in 2007 with a minor in Business Administration, and a major in Visual Communication. Prior to enrollment, I spoke numerous times with a student advisor who was extremely helpful and basically walked me through the process. I was told a 4-year degree would be approximately $34,000. I can’t complain about the education... It was rigorous, the professors were highly knowledgeable and helpful, and while I couldn’t find my “dream job” upon graduation due to the horrible economy, I eventually found the perfect position 7 years later, utilizing both degrees. My cost for this education? Right at $70,000. At this rate I’ll be paying off my remaining student loan with my Social Security check. To be burdened with a student loan like this is disheartening-knowing I could have spent far less by attending a “brick and mortar” college in the evenings.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This is my 2nd go around at attending AIU and I don't know why I thought it was gonna be any different this time around. Financial Aid Dept is the worse! If they stop gossiping and actual focus of their job description, maybe some work will get completed. When I have an issue, with my money whether it's my Loans or VA payments, I contact financial aid. That's their job title, the money. Well I get every excuse, runaround, bogus lie every time about where my money is. Why is it just sitting there? Why isnt Paul paying Peter, etc? I don't understand why money has to go to corporate, take 100 extra days just to get to the school 102 more days to get then 103 more days to get to me. They have unnecessary steps to meddle people that are lazy, until you harass them about your money that's owe to you. Horrible way to do business!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I've attended AIU for the past year or so. Usually I turn in my assignment in the assignment area of the Intellipath. This time in the Environmental Science class my instructor said she didn't receive the assignment. I called technical support and they said the assignment was turned in. This is the first time this has happened.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Every time I would attempt to do good with the classes through The Discussion Boards and Intellipath Exercises; along with my Financial Aid and go to 20 steps forward, I end up, going 5 steps backward. I'm really starting to get sick of them, nothing is ever good enough and they don't care. If your other computer does not work, they still fail you nor if you are trying to balance one class and getting back to the other, it's never enough time to finish any assignments, they continuously hide the Discussion Boards and expect you to find them, on your own, like you're some kind of Magician or something. I'm not Rumplestiltskin, deary, I need to actually see what I have to do, I can't make Hamburger without the Helper nor can I make Salmon Croquettes without the eggs?

I don't know what this school and the staff there are on, but whatever it is, they sure have no qualms with screwing students over time and time again. This school has been in practice for over twenty years and they are criminal, what was I thinking when I enrolled with them? I'm still having issues getting my Financial Aid Award letter approved and finalized, the guy; who is supposed to be approving it, is probably working with the IRS to reject it on purpose, they may be tearing up my letters. I'm better off, doing the old way of going to school, that is on campus. Online education is nothing more than a scam!

Original review: June 30, 2018

In 4 days trying to start my education... I have been misinformed, disregarded and played for a fool. I shared real details but I was obviously just a process. My time was wasted. I'm hurt. My grant is stuck with them. I was told I would get confirmations of the whereabouts, I still have to find a school, I'm so upset. My experience felt like a mockery for trusting. I've been crying all morning. My start date was 07/04/18. I'm really hurt. But they don't care.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My overall experiences with AIU was okay until I had a sick parent I was guardian over. This parent demanded a lot of my attention and care and I still had to work. I was his caregiver for four to two years. He died last September 2017. And I want to go back but I have a bill of about $3000 and until I pay that they won't let me re-enter. I have only 2 or 3 classes left to complete my degree. As other say, "Huge debt and no degree." How sad!

Original review: June 1, 2018

I went to this school from 2009-2012 learned absolutely nothing and never took one test in that time. Guaranteed a job in the field averaging 50k a year. In the 4 years post graduation the most I made was $16.00 an hr. Now with $45,000 in loans over my head I'm ruined with a worthless degree. You're better off in state college for way cheaper. Wish I could return the diploma.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I attended back in the beginning of 2003. Took 2 classes and dropped out before the classes were done. I was eligible for 2 loans (Sub and Unsub) and the Federal Pell Grant. I received a letter from a collection agency a few weeks ago for a balance of almost $900. I just received what they consider an itemized statement. They charged me FULL tuition of more than $4000.00 for attendance of less than 6 weeks and $340.00 for books. They kept two Pell disbursements along with my full Sub and Unsub loan. Which my student loans were paid for in full years ago.

Here we are 15 YEARS later!!! I have never been contacted by AIU or Career Education Corporation about ANY type of balance AT ANY TIME in the past. How convenient when Betsy DeVos, has effectively killed the team within the Department of Education (ED) charged with investigating for-profit colleges fraud and malfeasance. Former employees on the special team, which has now dwindled to three members, have been reassigned to different roles according to a major newspaper.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I’m currently an online student with AIU. I wish I had seen the reviews prior to enrolling. This is the second time I have had a condescending professor. The school site went down this past Tuesday 24 Apr. 18. All assignments are due by midnight Tuesday. I emailed professors and student advisor and was extended an additional day. Well once again trying to load the assignment the site kept timing out. Plus I couldn’t even find the assignment in my computer. Did not have the best week at all. I was finally able to load the assignment but to be safe I in turn emailed an attachment to the Professor (Pres111) only for the professor to send a condescending inflammatory message that it seems the only ones who experience tech issues are late or last day submissions. This was unprofessional and unnecessary. Yes I responded and expressed my concerns. The message was forwarded to my student advisor as well.

The professor in turns give me an unexplainable poor grade on my assignment. This was a direct blow for me responding to her inflammatory message. No one has the right to judge or criticize anyone especially when you don’t know their circumstances. I am only here to achieve a degree but I will not be disrespected by anyone including professors. I’m quite sure there are a few people who will join forces with me. I will be reporting this incident to the VA Dept of Education and the U.S. Dept of Education. It is becoming very clear that none of these online programs are being properly monitored or held accountable. Individuals seeking a better life and achieving their goals are being mistreated and taking advantage of. This is wrong and needs to be addressed and stopped. *Message given by professor was I missed several key elements but did not list any of them* after I addressed her inflammatory message.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I attended AIU South Florida for little bit less than a year in 2013 and left due to the school starting the process of closing down. I want a better life for myself and now I can't because I have a hold of $8,500 and can't continue my education until I pay AIU the hold. This is not letting me reach my American Dream.

Original review: April 2, 2018

My son was so excited to start school, but unfortunately the financial aid department has chosen to play keep away with his financial aid disbursements. I've contacted FAFSA and student loan.gov as well as a lawyer at the state attorney general's office and I was informed ALL monies are given to school to be disbursed within the first 30 days of enrollment. AIU has made my son's disbursement dates so far apart any stipend he would be due would be eaten up by their "additional" costs. No he did not attend college to just receive a refund, my son is very serious about his education, but he was informed when he got help filling out his FAFSA that any money left over could be used for educational purposes such as a new computer.

But to call, email or anything with the financial aid and to try and get a straight answer and not an answer that seems to be scripted or rehearsed. He then turned to his student advisor who did absolutely nothing but send him right over to the financial aid office who was not and is still not assisting him. AIU has been a big disappointment! In reviewing all correspondence my son has exchanged with the college I am now very suspicious of their financial aid department! We will be filing formal complaint papers with our local state attorney general's office as well the state attorney general's office in Illinois where AIU is located. I would advise anyone if you want an education do not attend AIU under any circumstances!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I went to AIU to get a degree thinking it would help me get a better job. However, that hasn't happened. They just got me farther in debt and no way of repaying loans. 11 years later, my loans are in default because what I do make doesn't cover payments.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Apparently nothing has changed with this school's financial aid department. They "recalculated" my aid three times. This is unmitigated BS! Thankfully withdrew last day of first week in the first term. Oh, and had to ask 3x for withdrawal form. No such form exists and they wanted to "talk" with me before approving it. HAHAHAHAHA. So I had to call in and ask a random adviser to do this for me...while I waited. AVOID THIS SCHOOL!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I love the online class. Graduated with my MBA in Healthcare Mangement. Live in MA then I found out I cannot transfer any of my credits to a MA college. No one will call me or answer my question why. After I spent thousands of dollars on my degree. I could not get my loan forgiven because I did what I was supposed to. Paid it on time. So when forgiveness time came I paid too much so I had to pay it off even though I was working in non profit field. But at least I can say I got my MBA. Most of the professors were very good teachers and understood that we worked and were coming back to school and explained things and took time to make sure we knew what we were doing. They did not give you a degree. You had to earn and work for your degree.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I was attempting to obtain a degree in Business Administration with a focus on healthcare. I never received an my AA degree but have a outstanding loan balance of over $40,000 dollars. The most shocking part is that this amount don't include the dollar amount received from my financial aid be which is what the government paid in addition to the $40 grand. Also, I can accidentally realized that the enrollment department had enrolled me in a class that I didn't needed. I was so shocked, my grades dropped dramatically. Not to mention surviving cancer.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Recently, I began my graduate degree at AIU. My first class was about leadership. Ironically, the professor was a terrible leader. Her instructions were vague, confusing and unclear. For the final exam, we had to submit a 10-page paper. She told us what to write about, but not how to submit the work. I asked 3 times in class how to hand it in online. She ignored me and answered my email with "ask someone else." So I attached the paper as an email the night before it was due, only to be told I never submitted it. I went from an A to a C overnight, after working 5 weeks on that project.

The complaints office wouldn't help me, and my advisor is the only one who thought I could appeal. It is very unlikely. When you watch their videos about how great this will be, how much their staff cares, etc., keep in mind it is all lies. Your professor won't know your name or assist you in any way. You are just a number to them. I will be transferring if my student loans will allow.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This college is amazing because the class is hard but very enjoyable. The enrollment staff was very nice and knowledgeable. They helped me to pick my college plan based on what I want to get done. The teachers are very skilled and know what they are doing and the student advisor calls me every week to check my progress and feedback on the classes. The payments with the help of financial aid I can make it possible to attend AIU Online. I looked at many other online colleges but they didn't measure up to my ideals but AIU fit the billed.

I got a refund of $276.00 from AIU Online that amazed me because I never thought that it was possible for a college to do that. My degree is in BSIT with network administration because I love computers and when I get my degree I'm going back to AIU Online to get my Master's degree in the same field. I hope one day I will be able to teach at AIU Online as a part-time teacher in computers. I would tell everybody that this college is the best ever and they should be proud of the fact this college offers a lot of options for people to study for and get what they deserved.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

There are a lot of negative reviews out there. I don't know what is going on. But, most employers don't care where you get your degree from as long as it was accredited. I was employed almost immediately after graduation, 1st from the private sector then through schools. I received my degree in visual communications and it has been a very handy and versatile degree. The courses were tough but very thorough, not an easy A by any means. Maybe depends on the teacher(s). The cost was indeed high but nowadays most good schools are. Never had any troubles with the payments or financial aid. I was not kept in the dark about anything. I thought it was a very good investment and I am still using what I learn to this day in an educational environment as well as in the private sector.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I interviewed to work in admissions with the head of the department and his dimwitted assistant. They were reading off a packet of questions that had nothing to do with the job itself not to mention the questions were so outlandish that the two idiots interviewing were having trouble reading it themselves. The funniest part was watching them struggle to read the sentence and then look at me for the answer right after. Very unprofessional and I recommend the two dummies interviewing should pick easier questions in the future so they don't come off as dumb their university sounds.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I am a freshman student at American Intercontinental University online. I was not informed by admissions in April 2017, that individuals who reside in Texas and have a felony would not be eligible to utilize the earned Criminal Justice/Forensic Science Bachelor's degree nor have a career in this field in Texas. I learned this when completing an essay on careers I desire within criminal justice fields in Texas. I then spoke with my student advisor to see what could be done to change degree programs within the online campus, I was told that I must fill out a new enrollment form. I am concerned.

Why do I need to fill out a new enrollment form when all of my information is in their college database, and the only thing changing in this information that American Intercontinental University has is simply the degree program??? I am a 4.0 GPA student and have been at this online college since the first week of May 2017. I believe I may be getting scammed, but I really hope there is a legitimate reason for a new enrollment form being required to change programs within the same online campus. This college has been great in every other aspect of learning, however I have heard many negative things from students while in attendance within the AIU community which is why I am concerned.

American InterContinental University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American InterContinental University is a for-profit university with physical campuses in Atlanta, Georgia and Houston, Texas. It is a regionally accredited university with a robust offering of online education options. American InterContinental University was founded in 1970.

• Online and physical campuses: American InterContinental University gives you the option of attending classes online or in physical classrooms. Campuses in Houston and Atlanta give you a classroom experience, and online courses give you the freedom to take classes that fit your own schedule.

• Intellipath: Intellipath is AIU’s unique, personalized learning platform. With Intellipath, you can enter your academic goals and any credits you may have, and the program will map out a customized educational path fit your academic needs.

• Military scholarship: For women and men serving in the armed forces, AIU offers 45 percent tuition reduction. AIU also offers military grants to help pay for school as well as benefits to spouses and families of students in the military.

• Transfer credits: If you want to transfer to AIU, AIU will make sure you get the most out of transferrable credits. AIU accepts up to 75 percent of qualifying credits to help you save on tuition expenses.

• Adaptable curriculum: AIU encourages students to find a schedule that works for them. Whether you want to go to school full- or part-time, AIU will help you find a personal schedule that fits into your life.

• Best for: military, international, working or any other students in need of an online education.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs