2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

Looking for a flexible and affordable online education? American InterContinental University is an accredited university and offers over 45 bachelor's, master's and associate degrees. From business, information technology, healthcare management and criminal justice to media production and education, American InterContinental University enables their students to follow the career path they desire.

AIU understands how busy life can get, which is why they tailor their curriculum to what best benefits their students. Contact AIU today to learn more about tuition, financial aid, classes available and more.

Unsubscribe at any time.

American InterContinental University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American InterContinental University?

Original review: July 1, 2019

I started AIU around July 2010 as a freshman, everything was fine. I had a financial aid, my school loan was properly paid by the Federal loan. Unfortunately I got sick at the beginning of 2014 which was my last year to finish my bachelor degree programs. I let them known that I was unable to attend classes for one semester according my surgeon doctor because that I was required to follow all thereafter surgery procedures. On July 2014 I called them up that I was ready to finish my programs, surprisingly they told me that I owed them $2980 and I should pay that amount in full before starting classes again. I did have no money because I was just recovering from two prostate surgeries.

On January 2017 they called me up to reenter to finish my bachelor's programs because I had only 8 credit to complete out of 180 credits to be completed. I was so happy to hear that so I rushed to furnish all documents they asked. I begun the classes and done all first assignments discussion boards. A week after I was unable log in to view my classes. While I was attempting to log in someone from AIU called me that I owed $2050 to be paid in full before viewing my classes again. Since that day I am out of school and I could not finish my bachelor degree programs to now. They left me with 70,000 in student loan debts.

I essentially need to get my bachelor degree to obtain a better job because now I have two college students - my son and daughter. They all have honors and presidential awards to pass their high school diploma. I am struggling with a minimum wage to care of their college expenses. I am living the hell because of the AIU crumbling school loans. I please anybody out there to provide information about any college that can me finish my bachelor programs. AIU is refusing to send my transcripts after all these student loan debts they put me in. I do not definitely recommend anyone to go to attend that University because it is waste of money and time.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I remember saying how they tear up your financial aid papers, when you go to the library and print them out exactly how they ask you. You sign your first and last name as a signature, with your phone and social. I thought I was wrong, especially how overjoyed I was to be back in this school. Then early this morning, I got withdrawn again.

No wonder why my cat started laying in the foot of my bed with me, he knew I was going to be screwed by them again. That is the one problem I have. I can't get ahead in life. There has a been a continuous wicca ritual place on me, where I can't go nowhere and do nothing, so this school confirms it. I fail one class, they say three, baloney! I take back everything I said. This is a school that I will permanently stay away from and probably anything to do with school and the very near future and return to being a bum and a loser. That was much better for me, than trying to be something special and with this school. I dread the day I enrolled in AIU, what was I thinking? I must have been high!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I graduated from AIU with a Masters in Health Administration, with a goal to join the U.S. Navy Healthcare program as an officer. Few months before graduation, I found out from a navy recruiter that I am not able to due to the fact that AIU accreditation is not accepted by the U.S. Navy. Over 80K in loans, and I was told to go to another University with an accreditation that is accepted. At this point, after all this student loan and hard work and years invested, I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Original review: May 2, 2019

Current student in the Criminal Justice Online Program. DO NOT GO HERE! This is my first college ever so I wasn’t really sure about what to look for in a school. I definitely know what to watch out for now. Classes are NOT flexible. They claim to be Military friendly, but aren’t really. Only received 4.5 credits for my military service which translates to only 3 credits because the school uses quarter credits. And I had to take these required elective classes (like 3 or 4) about self development that were a huge waste of time. I have credits they could have used from my military transcript because I’ve done over 80 hours of self development training.

I have had some good instructors and I have had a lot of bad ones. The instructors do not provide clear instructions on assignments and are never available when you have questions. I am active duty so the only real time I have for school work is on the weekends. If I run in to confusion on assignments I have to wait 'til at least Monday for a response and the deadlines are always Tuesday at midnight.

Instructors will provide grading rubrics that they do not stick to so good luck getting the grade you deserve. Most instructors have a god complex and want you to kiss their feet. I emailed an instructor because of the way she graded my paper. She took off point for saying that I didn’t mention key points in my assignment that I DID MENTION. When I pointed this out to her she said she was justified and not changing my grade. She also took 10% off of my final grade for an essay and for discussion assignments that I had submitted late because I didn’t provide proof that my father-in law had passed away. She never asked for proof.

Another instructor did not provide clear instructions on an assignment. I messaged her multiple times asking for clarification and if I could redo the assignment and just turn it in as late last Friday and she didn’t respond to any of my messages. I ended up redoing the assignment and emailing her when I submit it and she just said that she can’t accept it and she trusts that I understand. She wouldn’t even LOOK at it.

I have also ended up having to pay out of pocket for classes because my academic advisor did not call me back within the add drop window so I had to be withdrawn from the class and my grant wouldn’t cover it. They also use a HORRIBLE software called Intellipath which is basically a system to do lessons on and answer questions and it is worth roughly 1/3 of your total grade. The Intellipath has SO many errors and typos and information that is completely wrong or contradicts itself. I have complained to instructors, technical support, and my academic advisor and they all said that there was nothing that could be done because it’s a third-party system.

My military financial aid advisor dropped off the face of the earth for MONTHS (since January) and was unavailable to help me or answer any questions about anything. I finally heard from her on Monday and it was only because they had not received confirmation that I applied for tuition assistance for an upcoming class. I didn’t apply because I’m not taking that class due to my stress level and being 7 months pregnant. This school doesn’t even deserve 1 star. I’m finishing out my last 4 classes and never looking back. I can’t believe this place is accredited.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I am back in a fresh start and new perspective with AIU, the staff is friendly and helpful, but when it comes to being on the Virtual Campus, I started getting an error, I don't know why or how. But something is not quite right, when I talked to Technical Support about it, it seems like there is nothing they can do and I have download Mozilla Firefox. This just started this past Friday. I know that is negative energy surrounding me returning to school and being on my Chromebook. I wonder if I never returned, would I have, had this problem? It's rhetorical, no. I'm fighting an uphill between me and my enemies; who they can mess with me and I won't fight back, oh, but I will. I have feelings too, I don't like no one telling how I can't be myself. I will continue to do that!

Original review: March 6, 2019

They will not stop calling after I withdrew from enrollment before I had even decided to begin classes because I had received a better opportunity with another University but they still call me from multiple numbers from different area codes which is pretty shady. It's been almost 8 months of nonstop calling and I never answer so I'm not sure why they don't take the hint. I also withdrew because I've heard of many scandals and bad reviews to this college so I did the smart thing and left before I started anything so I wouldn't owe them money. I feel like they have a team of telemarketers that don't know when to quit. Even when I told them once I was at work and could not talk they just ignored it and kept going. If you're not going to understand I'm at work before I even enroll how are you going to understand if I actually enrolled. Please leave me alone.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I began AIU Online back in 2015. Everything was fine to start with. Admissions were super nice and knowledgeable about the process. I started my BA in Business Administration with concentration in Human Resources. My GPA was 2.9. Unfortunately, in 2016 my mom found out she had lung cancer. It was very aggressive. I contacted my advisor and informed them about my situation. Still completing assignments and attending the chats. In 2017, I lost my mom and was going through a difficult pregnancy so I informed them that I needed to pause my classes. I was dismissed from the program even while keeping them informed. I was denied appeal twice.

On last week, I was contacted by AIU to return. I again had to write an appeal letter, send my mom’s obituary, send medical records while writing in detail what occurred. I was contacted days later saying my “excuse" wasn’t good enough and I needed to provide a more traumatic story because I had already told them this. I was completely livid. Not only did you make me relive a traumatic experience but to tell me that wasn’t traumatic enough was very disheartening. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone else. Please choose another option.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I know my headline is a little confusing but it will make sense once I'm done. I attended AIU back in 2002 and graduated in 2004. When I was looking for an online school I gave them a call and was told by their recruiter that I would be able to find a great job in my field once I was done. The classes were fine; however, my financial aid was always messed up. When I graduated with my bachelor's in business administration, I didn't owe the school any money at all. My advisor talked me into going back and getting my MBA to better my chances of getting a great job. I enrolled in the program; however, I didn't like their Masters program at all. I decided to withdraw after speaking with the financial aid department to make sure I would not owe a balance. I was told on numerous occasions that I would not owe a dime if I withdrew by a certain date. I did this and all seemed fine.

I was not able to find a job in my field at all and after 2 years decided to go overseas to teach English. This didn't utilize my degree at all. When I returned after a year I found a job in the human services field and decided to go back to school for that. I contacted AIU to get transcripts and they immediately tried to get me to come back to the school for my Masters. I told them that I was not a fan of their Masters program and places my order for official transcripts. About a week later I received a letter in the mail from them telling me I owed thousands of dollars to the school for the Masters program so they would not release my bachelors transcripts. When I told them I didn't owe any money and that I was given transcripts for my job in Japan without an issue 2 years after I graduated, they basically told me to prove I didn't owe it. I had nothing left from the school regarding financial aid because I didn't think I would need it.

They have been holding my transcripts hostage since 2007 and they refuse to give them to me. I had to pay over $700 just to get an official copy for a job that I applied for. I just find it strange that I didn't owe a dime to this school but when I declined to enroll back into their Masters program, I now owe money. This school is a rip off and you should stay far away from it. They should he sued and shut down for how they treat people.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I am currently attending AIU, and I will have to say that I have had no issues, applying was easy. I had an advisor walk me through the process. I applied for financial aid, which again I was walked through, again I had no issues. Currently I have been getting on to my classes just fine and completing the assignment with no issues, would recommend this to someone who is looking to do online classes.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This is a FOR PROFIT organization and boy is that no joke. These swindlers have been harassing me for 14 years demanding payments upwards of $1000 — I NEVER was a student with AIU!! I stopped signing up before I was completed with the application yet the submitted my application to FIGSA anyway and I ended up paying nearly $4000 in federal student loan fees for a course I never attended. I never took one single class nor did I sign into their student portal one single time.

Now, 14 YEARS LATER, they have just submitted a “debt” to my credit hindering my credit score and messing with my life. All they want is your money. They do NOT care about your education or your future and they actively take actions to prevent your future from moving forward by milking your finances through debt collectors. Do not waste your time and NEVER give this crooked company any of your personal information! All they will do is hinder your life and steal your hard-earned money! Now I’m stuck paying hundreds of dollars to a school program I never attended. Save yourself the harassment and find another program! Find a legitimate program because AIU is NOT reputable. They are thieves and will continuously harass you for the rest of your life! As they monitor all reviews I’ll nearly bet this won’t be posted because these thieves will take any and all measures to steal your money and never let you rest.

For your sake, do NOT give them your name or any other personal information and save yourself the constant harassment and financial ** this joke of a facility will inflict on your life. They are completely for profit and do everything unthinkable to take your money, even if you choose not to attend their courses. Don’t be like me and put your trust into this joke school. Find a community college in your area and get your education from a reputable facility. I cannot warn you enough of the financial ** this AIU will cause you throughout your future! Avoid this place because it is a plague on your financial future!!!

American InterContinental University Company Information