1.20/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Multiple California Locations

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 3, 2018

303 Western Dental & Orthodontics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

If I could give them no stars, I would. I am so disgusted and so frustrated. I went to one of the local offices in Dec for a painful tooth. I was told it was infected and needed to be extracted. My Insurance would pay for the extraction. Then they said I need a bone graft, because of bone loss in my mouth. Which I know is the truth! I said "fine, let me call my husband who was in the car!" He said it needs to be done so just put it on the Citi card! I gave the manager, the card, she ran it and came back with the receipt for me to sign it. They worked on me and I left with my receipt in hand. I get a call from the billing Dept from the corporate office saying "this is an attempt to collect a debt!" I am thinking what the heck is going on. Let me tell you all how disgustingly rude and unprofessional they are. They treat you like a common criminal.

No matter how I explained I paid this debt, they insisted I did not! The rep put me on hold saying he was going to call the local office. He came back on and said "they said you did not pay the debt!" I flipped out and hung up! I drove across town to the office and saw the manager who said I have a $0. balance, because it was paid the same day. She assured me it was cleared out. Then the harassing calls kept coming and they are getting nastier and nastier. I got one such call and asked for a supervisor who said, "Ma'am, it shows the $483.00 was paid on Dec 9th 2017." But they tried to run a charge of $9.91 in early Jan. I asked for what? I never set foot in there after they did my tooth and then a few days after to deal with the billing fiasco. He told he would submit the $9.91 bill to be audited and that should clear it up. Now here we are again today Friday Feb 2nd 2018.

More calls and a letter in the mail that I owe this money to which they added late fees, bringing it up to $508.00. I don't owe these people. I paid my bill. I am at my wit's end. I do not know what else to do. I know I am not paying a debt I already paid! You cannot speak to these people, you cannot reason with them. I have severe health issues. Two of which are uncontrollable asthma and recently diagnosed with lupus. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone with them. Do not go to Western Dental if you could help it!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

My daughter and I went for x-rays, cleaning and my daughter was gonna get a free evaluation for braces. I was getting filling done when the receptionist came in while I had tools in my mouth and tilted back in chair. She proceeded to tell me my daughter had no cavities and could get 10% off her braces making it about $89.00 a month. I said that will be great but I can't afford it and will have to talk to my ex husband. The receptionist had paper work she was trying to get me to sign while having my teeth worked on. Just then my daughter walks in and had braces on.

I couldn't believe it, I told her I absolutely could not afford braces at this time. She got me to sign paper work for $120.00 month payments. Again I told them I was upset 'cause I could not afford them. Now they won't work on my daughter. They the braces on and the billing has gone to collections. My daughter's teeth are worse now. The braces were put on in April last yr and was seen about 5 times. I tried my best to make payments but could not afford it. I talked to the newly appointed manager and told him what happened. He said he would take care of it. I said I just want this taken care of or I would be taking them to court. He said he would waive all late payment and interest and asked what I could afford. Again I said I could not afford anything.

The next appt I went to they refused to work on her until I made a payment. I told them I want them removed and I'm taking them to court. The next appt we went in offered $100.00 to take the braces off. They refused and denied us service. I will be getting an attorney and taking them to court. This was illegal and absolutely unacceptable business. To this day I had never even seen the orthodontist only the receptionist who is at fault for everything and manager one time. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO WESTERN DENTAL OF ESCONDIDO. Worst ever!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I wish I could give this place 5 negative stars. They are Horrible, cruel, unethical, uncaring, inept. There are not enough negative terms to describe how terrible the service in this clinic is. Every time I have gone there the wait has always been an hour or more. They always badger me to have a lot of extra dental work that I cannot afford. When I tell them I do not have the money or credit, they keep pushing me to apply for more credit. They must be getting a commission on some of the work they bring in. I have continued to go to them because they are cheap and I live on a fixed income. I do not have the luxury of choosing a good dentist.

Two days ago, I went to Western Dental & Orthodontics for the last time. My appointment was to have a tooth pulled. I was and am still in extreme pain. While there, the dentist told me that the oral surgeon would be there tomorrow and for me to come back then. I had to wait close to one and a half hours, in a room with 2 screaming toddlers and a tv blasting cartoons. All of that, combined with severe pain, caused me to have a panic attack. The employees kept asking me why I was shaking and I told them that I have a condition called familial tremors and it is being exacerbated by my pain and the long, uncomfortable wait in the waiting room. Also, I had gotten hungry. They could not get me out of there fast enough.

Not one person in that clinic showed one bit of compassion or asked if there was anything they could do to help me. Just lying down in a dimly lit or dark room would have greatly lessened my problem. Not one person cared about my well-being. The dentist asked me if I took medications and when I mentioned getting injections in my spine she told me that the steroidal injections would cause too many problems with a tooth extraction. She never asked me anything about taking aspirin or drinking alcohol. It was obvious she wanted me out of there. Their cold and uncaring treatment in addition to my bad toothache only exacerbated the symptoms of my panic attack and familial tremors. They took my blood pressure a couple of times and then told me that they could not help me because my blood pressure was high.

With what was going on, it could not have been normal. A young man then came in and gave me a sheet of paper. He told me that they could not help me until I saw my medical doctor and had them fill out one of their forms. He told me that I could have a stroke or start bleeding out of control if they did any procedures on me and they could not take that risk. Apparently my panic attack and familial tremors seemed too serious for them to help me get the underlying problem under control. That problem was a severe toothache. From the way they treated me, it was obvious that if I had been a person with a serious health issue, they would run me out of their facility, just like they did two days ago.

They did not do anything or suggest anything for me to do that would help lessen the pain. They expected me to continue to endure the pain, make an appointment then see my regular physician, make another appointment with them, drive the 15+ miles to their clinic and on the return home, sit in that waiting room for 1 plus hours. My wait at my previous appointment was more than 2 hours and then risk a dentist not being there who can pull my tooth and me having another panic and them refusing to help me again.

I am a 61 year old retired Clinical Laboratory Scientist. I do not drink or smoke and I take very good care of myself. It is hard for me to believe that I was more of a health risk than many of the patients they work on. If they had only cared enough to give me a few minutes in a relaxing situation as opposed to making me more miserable, they could have easily extracted the tooth. I did not care to have a general anesthetic. The tooth was already very loose. At every facility where I worked, if any employee acted as rude, uncaring and unprofessional as the people at that clinic, they would have been fired the first day.

After submitting my writeup on Consumer Affairs, I kept thinking that the people at Western Dental and Orthodontics treated me like I was a drunk nuisance. I am still shocked that they would treat a person in pain so cruelly when they were the people who should have been the most capable of dissipating the terrible toothache. Dentists are highly trained medical professionals and for her to turn her back on me when I desperately needed her help was incomprehensible. Maybe they did not know what it was like for a person to have a panic attack and maybe they did not know what hereditary familial tremors were; but, they should NEVER have turned their back on me while I was in such a state of distress.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

It all started on August 5, 2017 for an exam on my teeth. They explained to me that I will need a root canal done after the exam. They were so quick to get me to sign a form and told me that I had to pay for ½ of the root canal, not explaining the details. On August 12, 2017 my appointment was at 8:00 am and I had discussed with them the week prior coming in for the root canal. I was seen at 9:00 am and was there for 4 ½ hours.

Now I should have done my research before making the decision in having what I thought was going to be a good experience at the dentist office. When I on August 12, 2017, I paid $1141 for half of the root canal because that is what they said was going to be happening that day, but like an hour or so through the root canal going through extreme pain I have never experienced before and assumed the dentist would be gentle says to me, “the tooth must come out, you have too much calcium built up around the tooth.”

I was in extreme pain, crying from all the pulling he was doing and then says that to me while some just looked at me with no empathy for what he was doing to my mouth. Looking at me, a grown adult crying after an hour of my mouth opened wide, staying in that position, jaw hurting, pulling at me, hurting my mouth and trying to get the tooth out, tears flowing down my face, goes and tells me that “oh no we can’t do a root canal, we must do an extraction of the tooth,” which they told me was no charge for the extraction because my insurance paid for it.

The only thing I paid for that day was the bone replacement graph which was $420.00 dollars. They put a temporary in, took an impression of the tooth, but never received my permanent bridge because of all the problems I have had since day that day on August 12, 2017. I have had more problems since they took the tooth out then when I first came into that office for an exam on August 5, 2017. It has been a nightmare for me.

The temporary tooth broke after putting it in on August 12, 2017 and I spent another 4 hours on August 16, 2017 in the office waiting to fix it but that didn’t work either because the temporary broke again and I had to miss work, with no pay and go in on August 18, 2017 and spent another 4 hours trying to fix the problem. During all this time telling me I owe them $2300 for the other ½ of the money for the work with the permanent bridge they planned to put in my mouth on September 23, 2017 which never happened because I cancelled it all, yet I paid $1141.00 that I feel I should get back. Their main office has harassed me by calling me and telling me that I owe this money and that it will go to collections as well as go on my credit report (which now it is on there) before they could do anything else for me.

The temporary tooth broke once again and I went back in the office on August 25, 2017 to collect paperwork and they told me that I owed them the rest of the money by September 2, 2017 and I told them I didn’t have that kind of money and they explained to me that they would do a set up plan and would need my card and I told them no way will that happen. I told them that I was not paying because I am not happy with what they have done and that they haven’t really done anything for my mouth except leave my mouth in distress, which I am unable to chew on my right side, hurt beyond belief and that my temporary broke again. I cancelled all services with them and I told them I will not pay for this because you have done absolutely nothing for me. You quickly get me to sign for payment and that you are only about getting your money, yet you have done nothing to help the patient.

I called my insurance on Monday, September 11, 2017 appalled with everything that has been going on and filed a complaint with them against Western Dental, 19071 Bear Valley Road, Apple Valley, CA and they told me after I explained to them about what happened to me and that they ruined my mouth and how afraid I am to go to the dentist, they suggested that I need to file a complaint with the Dental Board to see if I can get my $1141.00 back from them. I did file a complaint with the Dental Board, but they did absolutely nothing for me. Now I am embarrassed to smile because of what they did to my mouth.

They continue to harass me for the money they say I owe them, YET they refuse to fix the problem they left in my mouth. They pulled my tooth, left one of my teeth down to the bare minimum to have some crown that never got put in there or any permanent bridge that is suppose to be in replacement of where I have no teeth that they took out. It is embarrassing and I fear the dentist because of what they did. They just want their money, yet they haven't taken care if mouth.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had a deep cleaning done in September 2017. I purchased a product that I thought was part of my total amount due, but come to find out it was 187.00. Basically I returned the product because I paid extra for something I didn’t need and it was also on Amazon for less. I never purchased it from Amazon. They are pushy people, the Reps that come around and take care of the Accounting. They rip people off. They try to sell services and try to charge you for them that I said no to. Not a trustworthy company.

I paid 150.00 towards my total balance with my debit card. They were suppose to set up 2 installments for October and November but failed to then they charged me 25.00 late fee for a mistake they made. Payments were made and paid in full November 5, 2017. The remainder went on Care Credit. I requested my 150.00 debit/cash back and they refused. Said it never happened. Just the worst most embarrassing company. I had to talk to several people to get someone to find my 150.00 Credit. I had my copy. They still wouldn’t give me it back and said it went toward the product I had returned. I got my bank involved and they gave me the 150.00 Credit. Bank of America thank you. Finally matter was resolved and my bank sent me the letter in November all is resolved. Maria from Corporate called and said case closed. Finished.

Well in November I received another bill for 225.00. Late fee of 25.00 is still on there that initially they removed due to their error in October being they never set up automatic deduction. I sent it back saying I paid off my part and returned product case closed. Now I just received another bill something but also stating I’m 75 days past due. This is by far the worst Accounting/Billing Department and Organization ever. They won’t let up. No one knows what they are doing there. I told them this better not be affecting my credit and they need to fix this immediately. This Company has horrible reviews same type of stuff trying to scam people out of their money. They owe me an apology for harassing me for months. They get negative stars. I wouldn’t use their payment plan or visit them. It’s not worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

As I had to have all of my top teeth pulled due to my adult tooth was breaking my other teeth on its way down. So since I only had 5 teeth left on the bottom they pulled all of them. They fitted my mouth for the dentures while I still had all my teeth, and promised me that after my mouth was completely healed they would make a new mold and get me my permanent set. After I was all healed they told me no that I was never promised a permanent set and I would be stuck with the set that doesn't fit my mouth. What makes everything worse is that the bottom set never fit. I can't eat. What's worse is that I look stupid.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I went in for my regular checkup/cleaning and came out confused and feeling scammed as someone already have mentioned... I'm the one that have exactly the same experience... Unbelievable. My story was I already went to the dentist (another location, brand, and far from where I live) for my 6 month checkup. I only had an exam and found out I need 2 fillings. I liked to make appt. for cleaning right away but they all booked until next year. Then I just found WD on the internet that seem closer, convenience and looks nice near me. I made appt. All went great: liked the service, accept my Medi-Cal (wow that's amazing! I thought).

I went in. Everything looks nice and clean, checked. Then I show them the result I've gotten from the dentist I went before that, I have done the exam just need the cleaning part and do the 2 fillings if possible (to save unnecessary work but they said they need their own exam... Okay, makes sense). So the exam-done, then the dentist and her assistant came and check my gum with the code 5-4-3... Then left. Leave the assistant who started to explain about the numbers they were testing to me and told me I have to get the treatment which cost me $1,800 with the payment option like $78/month for 24 months! I asked why can't I just get the cleaning? She said just regular cleaning will make it worse!! So I gave up not getting my cleaning done like I suppose to. Oh they also told me I don't have cavity??? (I might have to find just the regular dentist (not fancy) to make sure what is happening in my mouth.)

From my lifetime seeing dentist every 6 months for my checkup since I was young, I've never had this kind of confused experience. I left with the big question mark in my face that "can they do that?" Refused to do the basic checkup if I'm not interested in what they're selling. (Oh they try to sell you braces too but I already had it done.) Not a good day.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

This place is a joke! Parents please do the research before spending wasted time and money here. They are unorganized and they are cramming as many people as they can in for appointments. I waited over an hour just to get in for an Ortho consultation. The doctor looked at my son for less than a minute and told us he has all these issues in his mouth and jaw.

We then were taken back into an office to have a girl that barely spoke English try and tell us we would need to pay $7200+ for his two year braces experience. Huh? So, I tell them that this is outrageous and to give me a breakdown. This lady tells me it's for clear braces, which we don't need or want but apparently that is not our choice anymore??? She continues to tell me that they are now charging a 9% interest rate. lol. WOW... ** experience to begin with and now they are taking advantage. After I said, "No thank you to this rip off of a place", I did the research to find that there are places out there with good orthodontists that don't make you give a down payment. Please parents do the research and get multiple opinions if need be. Don't let this crap of a place take all your money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I am writing this review because I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. I went to Western initially on August 31st because I was having pain on the bottom of my mouth caused by my wisdom teeth. I was told by Dr ** the dentist that they needed to come out, she sent in Mark and he provided me with 2 estimates, one for all the work I needed and the second for the extractions. The total for the extractions was $990 and I asked him, "So my insurance doesn't cover it?" He said, "No and before we can do the procedure we will need the full payment or we can do a deposit of $455 with monthly payments of $113." I informed him I would not have the $455 so I did not proceed with the extractions at the time.

I returned to Western Dental on October 30th to see if I could get an emergency appointment because the pain had returned and it was worse. I also asked the receptionist for a complete list of everything I needed done and the codes so that I could cross reference the coverage with Delta Dental. I spoke with my insurance company and they informed me that the extractions were covered but the bone grafts were not. I had no idea what a bone graft was. I was able to get an appointment to be seen by Dr ** that same day. She didn't examine me or anything however she did look at the xray. Dr ** says to me the teeth need to come out. I said ok and told her I agreed. I told her that Mark told me the last time that I was there that it was gonna be $990 and I didn't have that also that I didn't understand why the charge was so high if Delta covered the extractions.

Dr ** says, "Yes but you NEED a bone graft" (and she kept pressing the issue and telling me that I NEEDED the grafts) still with no explanation to what this is or what it's for. Next I spoke with Mark once again and he again told me I NEEDED the grafts and again they couldn't do the procedure without a deposit or full payment. I agreed to make a deposit (which the money came out of my rent money). The day of the procedure a lady (I guess she was from billing) takes my payment and I explain to her I still don't know what a bone graft is, why I need it and what the process is for such a thing. She tells me that she will have the dentist speak with me to explain it.

Dr ** never comes to explain so at this point I am getting agitated because I still know nothing. Finally Darlene explains it to me after it was already too late and she informs me that bone grafting is an optional procedure. Now I'm confused because Dr ** and Mark both told me that I indeed NEEDED bone grafts. At this point it's already too late because I've already made a deposit because I was misinformed. I had the opportunity to speak with 2 different dentist and 3 different oral surgeons outside of Western Dental that told me there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR BONE GRAFTS ON WISDOM TEETH, THEY ALL have said that first I should had been informed about what it actually was and what it was for. They informed me that they only suggest bone grafting for visible teeth or for future implants but you will never get a wisdom tooth implant so there was no need.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I ended up writing a 16-page letter to a board of 7 doctors which made W.D. get my county insurance reinstated for 6 months. I had to get a new top denture made as the first one the panel of doctors made them finally give me was so big it would fit my horse’s mouth no kidding. They did not redo the partial so they never meshed up, I ended up using a Dremel to fit the top denture in my mouth. The first day home with it I finally could eat real food. I got a fish sandwich from Burger King and a back tooth crack in half on my brand new denture. After 9 months with NO TEETH in my mouth, I lost 33 pounds and was starving.

Now my bottom gum line has no bone left to hold on a full denture, so I need bone graphs and implants that my insurance won't cover. I feel Western Dental’s neglect owes me my smile back they were suppose to give me 9 years ago. I do not have $6000 they wanna charge me to get my top and bottom dentures. Who do I contact to ensure they do the work they owe even though 9 years have passed. This place needs looked into, new staff but same business practices. THEY CAN’T PRACTICE like they do and get away with screwing people over.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I went in for a routine checkup/cleaning and came out confused and feeling scammed. For the most part of the beginning of my visit was very normal. Did my x-rays before being moved to the chair to wait another hour to see the dentist. Very long waits, but I honestly expected as such for one of the few places that opened on a Saturday. The dentist comes in with an assistant and this was the point where I thought wasn't very normal. The dentist would use this tool and start poking around my gum lines. She would start calling out numbers ranging from 3-6 and the assistant would record it on the computer. I have been to many other dentists in past 5 years or so and this was the first time a dentist performed this type of test on me. Once all done the dentist looks at the computer and questions the assistant. The assistant said, "Oh, I must have missed a 6."

The dentist says to me that my teeth are good, but my gums aren't so much. I later learned that the normal values are 2-3 for that test. She mentions that the assistant will go over the financials and says once done "hopefully" we could start the treatment. The assistant says to me that I have very good insurance and this procedure the dentist prescribed to me was going to be $570. $570!!! So was needed this procedure that wasn't covered by my insurance. I was completely caught off guard. The assistant then starts trying to sell me their credit line that way I could pay it off monthly. I still was having doubts. She then shows me this video on this small tablet about my condition. I asked about this type of cleaning and what different was it compared to a regular cleaning. The assistant mentions this type cleaning is halfway between a regular cleaning and a deep cleaning.

As soon as the assistant mentioned "deep cleaning" I got a little worried and caved in. She then starts generating the bill. It included an electric toothbrush. I questioned about since I already have one. She then took it off the bill and it went down to $440. WTF. I was about to get charged for something I didn't need. I was then transferred to another chair for the cleaning. I waited another 20 minutes before a different dentist and a different assistant came in and did the actual cleaning. Apart from the additional medicine they added on my teeth in the end it seemed like a regular cleaning.

I left after it was all done and will not return to this place. Thinking back it felt like they used a lot of salesmen tactics. The assistant saying it costed her $2300 vs what I would pay $570. Trying to soften the charges by saying I could set up a monthly plan. Trying to include a $120 electric toothbrush without asking if I needed one. There were things that took place that really doesn't make sense. Why was the assistant doing the selling and convincing that I needed this procedure and not the dentist? Why did the dentist that prescribed this procedure was not actually the one doing the procedure? I am very unhappy about my experience with Western Dental and will not return.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I had an accident slamming my wooden gate with my face... I need to have surgery on my two front teeth like yesterday but Western Dental doesn't care that I am in so much pain from the impact that I can hardly eat or drink or even talk without feeling like the front of my jaw is going to fall out. They are only interested in my ability to pay out of pocket expenses of over $5000. And they refuse to discuss the cheaper options with me much less offer them to me. They did not prescribe anything for the pain and expect me to show up for surgery at a given date with the balance paid in full by the time I go in for the surgery.

I have tried calling the Finance person and it's going on a week now since my first visit and have yet to settle on a cheaper option... I know that there's a $300 option for a much less aesthetically appearance but I am willing to take that option just to get rid of the pain I have 24/7... Wish me luck because I am going to keep trying... IDK why... This is a farce. I guess it's time to seek someone else's services...

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I had a root canal and crown done in January of 2017 and paid $480 which was my share of cost after Delta Dental paid their part. The work they did is substandard at best and my gums keep swelling next to the crown. When they placed my crown, they advised me that I needed to have another root canal and crown done but I told them I’d have to do it at a future time. In April of 2017 I started to receive bills from Western Dental saying I owe $240 and the additional installment of $240 is due in 30 days. I contacted their corporate office and they told me it was the 1st installment due for my future root canal and crown. I told them I had never scheduled to have the work done & that I wasn’t going to pay for work I never agreed to do.

They told me I had to go sign a form at the local office which I did immediately. The bills stopped for about 3 weeks and then they started to arrive again now with late charges. Currently, 7 months later and having gone to their local office to talk to their manager numerous times, the bills and harassing collections calls are continuing. Western Dental even charged my dental insurance for work that has not been completed. Also, I’m convinced there are no supervisors at their corporate office because every customer service person only transfers you to a full voicemail box which won’t accept messages. I’m ready to start seeking legal advice. Do yourself a favor and don’t ever use Western Dental. Bad dental work and even worse customer service.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I’ve been financially struggling due to a job loss and tries to make arrangements on my account. They were not able to accommodate any type of payment arrangement and denied any future service for my son’s ortho service. And I still have to pay the balance even though he won’t be getting any more services.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Very disappointed and irate about Western Dental. I went on a Friday appointment. As I was being seen by dentist doing an impression a clerk came by to discuss payment options. I specifically told her I would like to discuss payment options on next visit because I had to see what my finance was like, so when I came back the following Monday I told them I wanted to cancel treatment because I could not afford it. I was told to pay 732.00 within a week and I was approved for Credit Care which was 8,000.00. I had to pay within 24 months before interest kicked in. I ask was there a grace period before they applied the Credit Care and payment options they went on to say there was nothing I could do and I would have to come up with 600.00 for the impression plus pay the 8000.00 Credit Care. I feel like this is a rip off and why should I have to pay for dental that was never applied.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Went to Western Dental Manteca, CA and had lower partials made. Paid $1759.00 up front in December of 2016. After a couple months I received them and they were sharp, not polished inside or out and way too narrow for my jaw. Even after having impressions made of upper and lower, they did not match. After many adjustments, I was told that they couldn't take off anymore. Eating was impossible and a total collision unseating my upper dentures and causing diverticulosis from not being able to thoroughly my food. Made appointment, explained the issue and returned the partials to Dr. ** on June 21, 2017. Spoke to the office manager Andrea, who told me she would submit a refund claim, June 21, 2017. After 40 days I began calling the office manager, Andrea to check status. Was told the claim was submitted and I would have to ask corporate as she didn't know.

Fast forward 10/11/17 have been told by corporate that they can't resolve until they speak to office manager. 29 phone calls to office manager, she will not take my calls or return calls. I'm stuck between both passing the buck and found out today that they are claiming I never returned the partials. I never thought to get a receipt as I assumed this was a reputable company.

I have spoken to three supervisors at customer service promising to call the office manager and get back to me. They haven't turned my calls. Customer service needs to be restructured as no one is accountable for the unfair business practices. I've had CPE tracers enacted and their claims refund line is a message line. No one ever calls you back regarding your concerns. I have called the IRL line and transferred so many times. They have lied to me, tricked me into thinking the claim was in the mail and now saying I can't get my refund. How do I prove I returned the unusable teeth? Help!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This is a real bait and switch. They wrote the book. The dentists and staff are adequate. However the financial lady is a joke. My first procedure she quoted me one price. The actual price was double the second. Several months later she quoted me $100 for an extraction. After one week of medicine ** withdrawal getting transportation waiting 30 minutes I was told the price was $497, take it or leave it. I had little choice at this point. If I paid it in 5 months it would be $550 such a deal.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Went for cleaning and examination. First thing they did was usher me to x-ray. Technician said I should be given x-rays every 6 months. Wow!!! No teeth cleaning. I had to ask. Dentist, without looking at my teeth, says I need an implant. The cavity under the crown "is not worth it to fill." He adds that my other teeth are "pristine," based on the x-rays. No examination, no poking around. He brings in financial person to price the procedure. He tells her that all my teeth are #2, so no deep cleaning was needed. I began questioning him about why I needed an implant. After he explained he then did a cursory look into my mouth without the benefit of any lamp to help him see... He changed his mind about deep cleaning. He yelled out to the assistant that the test in front are 4s and 5s. So if I opt not to have the all-expensive implant they can at least get me for a deep cleaning. Terrible experience.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This is a terrible place! I went to the one in Oceanside, CA on Vista Way. I walked in without insurance because I knew I had a major infection because my tooth was really hurting. Long story short. They set me up with a payment plan and told me I needed a root canal and two crowns. I said, "Ok, I just wanted the pain to go away."

Well, I have insurance now and went to my regular dentist... and yay! I need it to be completely redone. There is still major infection in the tooth area. (x-ray shows way more infection than last year.) I knew something was wrong and called Western Dental and went back and they assured me that everything was okay. Obviously it isn't OK, gum is responding badly to whatever metal and there is a major I that could have been prevented of they would have done the root canal correctly to begin with. I will be calling Western Dental... but I think I should get some kind of reimbursement!! I feel like I was taken advantage of because I was in so much pain. I would have agreed to do anything to stop it. NOT OK.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My daughter got braces from Western Dental, had them on for about a year-and-a-half to two years then she wore her retainer for a whole year. She wore like she was supposed to. Her teeth shifted a whole lot. Went back to Western Dental several times during the time she had her retainer on. The dentist was great. He noticed that her teeth are shifting. He did everything he could. The dentist adjusted her retainer several times and none of the adjustments work to keep her teeth aligned.

Then he said that she would need braces back on again. Western Dental charge me another $3,000 fee to have my daughter get braces put back on again because the first braces didn't work. The dentist did not want to charge me. He thought that I should not be charged again but the office that takes care of all payments and paperwork would not go for it and wanted me to pay again. So I got her braces put back, for another fee so I had to pay another $3,000 for 6 more months of braces. Sucks. Western Dental does nothing to work with its customers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Started August 2015. Teeth pulled then a series of appointments followed after healing in September was finished. Fitted for partial. Was paying already for partials. Never came in. Months went by. 3 more fittings. Partial broke. Asked for new partial, would finish payments once I had a product. Asked for at least free teeth cleaning from manager who avoided my phone calls Sept-December. She said no. Received new partial in February. Even doctor was worried it wouldn't hold up. Rushed job. Broke. I am now following up. They still made me pay for no product or broken one.

It had been cutting into my mouth and bleeding would occur. Now from not having them over a year, my teeth where pulled have grown in weird and I have lumps inside my cheek that interfere with biting. The worst place ever... Everyone I think is just out of school and you are being experimented with. Very sad for people not knowing and children especially at young ages not getting proper care. I can't get my son to go back. Too painful.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Very disappointed with them, my daughter has been going there for over 3 yrs and they are always redoing her brackets because they say the dentist before them did it wrong and the dentist is from their facility and now she has missed a couple of appointment. They want me to pay extra but the funny thing is her balance is $ 0 so they are just looking to make more money off me. Don't ever pay before your treatment is done cause that's where they will get you. Never again will I bring any of my kids back here.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I went here two days ago to have my lower wisdom teeth removed. Their oral surgeons are good, a bit rushed because they never hire more than one per day, but their oral surgeons are different than their dentists. I would NEVER go here for dental work, because they don't know what they are doing with that, but I'll probably go here again for my last two wisdom teeth removals.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I was in serious need of dental care. My boyfriend worked out a payment plan with Western Dental. I paid on time every month. I paid in person cash got a receipt for every payment except one we paid over the phone with his debit card. Well spoke to a young man paid my 300 dollars and no payment was stated on their end. However we show a payment for Oct. 2016 300 but not to my account. Well I took all my receipts to the office and they said no we didn't pay and they wouldn't help me. Now I have a collection bill if 2800 and my teeth are falling apart. 2 crowns I paid 800 dollars for fell out and a previous crown I already had and one tooth from the denture fell off. Help.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Granted they provide dental service on a payment plan but, it's ridiculous. I had a contract for braces on my daughter, paid them what I owed and they are now trying to say that there are additional charges not covered, months after I finished paying them. This is not the first time I have had issues with their billing either. I have been charged late fees for late fees. Anyone thinking about using them better watch their billing closely.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Catastrophic experience - We have all heard of those tragedies when a hopeful patient goes in for treatment and ends up dying. I was too close to being one of those statistics. I have never experienced injections as painful to the point of intolerable, nor have I ever been treated with such indifference by a dentist as I experienced at Western Dental in Santa Maria CA. My pain level with the extraction of a molar was excruciating and afterwards I began to go in to severe hypertension crisis.

I expressed my alarming symptoms to the dentist which included a sudden severe migraine-like pain in the back of my head, pounding heart and tremors. He asked the nurse to take my blood pressure. It was 200. I was told by the nurse to "just relax in the chair for a while." I was in full crises mode and was not given any oral drug whatsoever to counter this often deadly or debilitating occurrence. Instead the nurse was told to check my blood pressure again in a little while. I was left in the cubicle in extreme distress.

It was by the grace of God these symptoms lessened over the next 40 minutes and I was able to exit the office. I contacted my physician immediately. She was appalled and expressed that responsible action by the attending dentist should have been exercised immediately. In the strongest terms I would urge anyone to find another Dental Group other than Western Dental and in particular the Santa Maria office. To bring a child there or an elderly person should be unthinkable. No one should ever experience such suffering at the hands of their dentist. For me personally it could have been a matter of life or death.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I was waiting for an hour in the reception and finally the assistant came to do x-ray for me. And let me sit on the dentist chair, 1 hour and 15 minutes passed, no dentist came. A few assistants and 1 dentist was just chatting. I gave up and left without seeing the dentist. Very bad experience. I will never recommend to anyone. VERY BAD SERVICE!!!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I had to leave early two weeks ago because they had me waiting a hour and a half and I still had not went to the back. Now once again 2 weeks later I'm waiting 2 hours in the back. It's ridiculous how slow and unorganized these people are. I hope they close this office down or get better management.

Original review: July 5, 2017

If I could give them sub-zero stars I would. Firstly, Anthem Dental Plan (my insurance company) has few dentists in their plan. This group is one that accepts new patients. When we hit the door they asked me for my daughter's MediCal card, even though we have health and dental insurance, which sets the tone of this place. Rude, unprofessional, and squeezing you for every dime without caring at all about the actual dental services they provide. The waits are long, the office staff is generally rude, and the billing department is horrid. This dental office is an assembly line combined with office tactics that are akin to a third rate snake oil salesmen. Run screaming! You would find better care in a third world country.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I received excellent care from Dr. ** as well as the staff at the Santa Rosa office. The dental assistants, Rose and Jen were kind, gentle and efficient. The previous dental office RHHC, I went to recommended two teeth be pulled and implants put in at a cost of over $25,00.00. Dr ** was able to save my teeth! I needed a root canal and a crown for my broken tooth. They saved my smile and they saved me thousands of dollars! I would recommend Western Dental as an ethical business with superior doctors and an excellent staff. Thank you Dr. **!

Western Dental & Orthodontics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Dental & Orthodontics began with a single location in Los Angeles more than 100 years ago. It now has more than 200 offices throughout Arizona, California, Nevada and Texas. The practices offer general dentistry services, orthodontics, dentures and dental implants.

• Options: In addition to dental services for the whole family, Western Dental offers dentures and dental implants. Dentists at each location can help patients decide which option is best for them.

• Free consultation: Patients interested in learning about which options might be suitable for them can contact Western Dental 24 hours a day by phone to schedule a free consultation.

• Schedule online: Both new and existing patients can schedule an appointment online without needing to call their local Western Dental office.

• Financing: Western Dental & Orthodontics offers financing directly to patients so they don’t have to use credit cards or other outside financing. Even those with poor credit histories may qualify for financing.

• Insurance: Patients can see a complete list of accepted dental insurance plans on Western Dental’s website. Practices in California accept Denti-Cal, making them one of the largest Denti-Cal providers.

• Best for: patients in Arizona, California, Nevada or Texas, especially those looking for direct financing from their dentist.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.westerndental.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use