Multiple California Locations

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Western Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Please please do not accept or enroll for any Dental work in Western Dental locations, especially San Mateo, CA and Redwood City, CA locations. Really horrible service,

1. You have to wait minimum 1 hr to 2 hrs even if you have an appointment.

2. Endodontist is available only once in a month.

3. Even if you take the appointment calling the corporate call center, you realize it later that the appointment was never confirmed at the specific location ever and you are turned away and again you have to repeat the whole drama of calling the call center and taking the appointment again while not sure of the confirmation at the location.

4. Even if you physically schedule an appointment at the location, you arrive on the day and time of your appointment to know that no dentists are available for that day and time are you are again turned away.

5. If you try calling the location directly instead of calling the call center, you will never get a response for days together and nobody answers your call. It's another waste of your precious time.

6. For every visit they would take your x-rays for the same tooth/teeth even if it's already available on the system.

7. Just to make you abide to the appointment, if you are lucky, then they make you sit on the treatment chairs where you have to wait for the dentist indefinitely.

So the bottom line as per my experience, please don't waste your time or money for Western dental at all. I got an impression that they are just concerned about the business, enroll as many patients as possible irrespective of their capacity to provide quality service. Soon I'm changing my provider and going away from Western Dental. A very horrible experience for me for last 6 months. I couldn't stop myself in writing this review and help some people to save their money and time and go for a much better provider.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

Advertisement shows affordable prices uninsured. Welcome rep states, "We provide a basic exam waiver for uninsured." Made an appointment November 30, 2022 for a tooth extraction. At the appointment I was informed I needed to pay upfront $130 which included follow up visits for service provided. During my two hour stay the billing department came to speak to me about options basic exam, full exam and I asked what do I need to do to get my services provided. She said full exam so I signed for it. Two hours later I’m escorted into the Dentist office where the dentist will provide me my options and here comes the receptionist to provide me my options. I said tooth extraction only. "OK. We do not have a dentist today. I don’t know if the call center knows we only have a dentist available once a month or once every month and a half so we need to reschedule the appointment."

I was frustrated. I said I will get my teeth clean. I don’t want the appt to be wasted and I did which I paid an additional for when I left. My appointment was scheduled for January 13, 2023. I was not going to wait that long to have a tooth extracted because it could get worse so within the next two days I found a dentist and had it extracted. They only charged me $99 for exams and follow up. Lesser than Western Dental that provides affordable prices. So I called Western Dental to try to get some partial reimbursement because I never got the service done and follow up appointments were not needed. My paperwork was pulled only to state, "Well you signed for a full exam and you got teeth cleaning. There is no reimbursement." What about the basic exam waiver for uninsured you signed for a full exam? There is no basic exam waiver. You came for an exam and teeth cleaning. There is no reimbursement wow.

This billing department told me, "You signed for a full exam and you signed to get your teeth clean. You will not receive any reimbursements." No matter what I explained she informed me the paperwork states it all no reimbursement. Wow. I asked to speak to a manager. There was no manager there. They informed me they will tell the manager the next day and the manager will call me. That was seven days ago. I have yet to hear from a manager. They came to the reception area first thing stating I needed to pay $130 upfront to continue services yet they did not tell me I wasn’t going to get the services I came in for And now proceeded to tell me what my visit was for and there’s no reimbursement. Wow. And another thing why is the receptionist telling me of my dental options and that there never was a dentist there to do the service?

Get buying tips about Dentures and Dental Implant Solutions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

My son's teeth got much decay because he continued to drink sodas with braces on. The dentists here did not warn him or me about this decay going on. Now---all my son's teeth have permanent damage from calcium loss. De calcification, the front 5 were so bad that I had to go to another dental office and have them filed down for crowns which I paid for -- the bottom are all the same--messed up from decay----the older dentist there never mentioned one thing about having the braces off for cleaning or that his teeth were getting messed up. I know it is my son's fault too but the dentist should have been on it about the decay going on and warned us.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

The help at the front desk is always perfect and kind to me as well as knowledgeable. They always try their hardest and get me in quickly. The dentists are great. Now I’ll be honest, I have not liked Western Dental in general because I had bad experiences with others however this one in Ceres Ca is EXCEPTIONALLY great! I’ve had oral surgery, in which they called in an outside surgeon that exceeded my expectations. I’ve had fillings on chipped teeth which were done absolutely perfect. Also, I’ve had a lot of dental work and am scared to go. These guys have been gentle with me and use good techniques and medicine so you are comfortable. They also understand and work with your finances. I wish I could give them 500 stars but 5 will have to work!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I wrote this review on behalf of my dad. He had bad gum disease and first dentist told him that he will end up with denture. After x ray, dentist explained us that we can try partial denture first. Need to get approval from insurance. So we have to wait. My dad has a lot of pain in all teeth but dentist didn't prescribe anything. Anyway we tried with OTC med. After 3 weeks, I got mail from insurance company, it mentioned that they need more information from dentist. So I went to office to show that letter. Front desk girl said they will resubmit again. During waiting time, my dad needed to remove 5 teeth.

After 6 weeks gone by, not hear anything. I called every 2 weeks to get update. Said not approve. Then I asked front desk girl about full denture. She advised me that it will be approved by insurance even without authorization. She gave me to see dentist again. We went to the office and another dentist came look at my dad. He said why you guys were here. I explained him about the problem. He said, "You can't just do what insurance covers." So I replied him that what you can do for him. He has been suffering more than 2 months already. So he immediately told me to see another doctor.

Another doctor didn't even come see my dad. One girl came and told us to reschedule the next day. According to this story, I just wonder why these dentists didn't want to help my dad. My dad is not rich. He has no money to pay to them. He can only rely on his insurance to make him better. These dentists want more money. After they realized that my dad is decided to get full denture, they refused to see him again. I already knew that they would like to bill him thousands dollars but they didn't even care how patient feels. Whoever from that Apple Valley office read this review, they knows in their mind who I referred to.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have a broken tooth that needs to be extracted. I have known this for a few years. I went to Western Dental as my previous and XLNT dentist retired. I know what I needed and want, the tooth pulled. WD did a full set of x-rays. Hardly a consultation occurred before their saleswoman tried up-selling me into other procedures. I declined. Then I was told the oral surgeon would not be able to extract my tooth and an appointment was made for 3 weeks later. When I went for the extraction I was told a $400 bone graft is needed and your insurance won't cover it. The dentist said, "Aign or we won't extract the tooth." I walked out. Caveat emptor.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

DO NOT Go to this dental company. They are the worst in customer service. I had a broken tooth and all they could offer me was a implant that would cost me $5,000.00. I have gone to another dentist, and they offered so much more than just an implant. I have been trying to get my deposit back for over 3 weeks and each time I call their number I am disconnected or greeted by a horrible person. I am still waiting for my credit to my bank account. I am on a fixed income, and this is horrific. I am not sure if I will ever get my money back! This place needs to be audited by an authority. They have too many bad marks on them! I have reported them on Yelp and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: July 13, 2022

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. Every Western Dental I have been through always frustrates me, but this office is the worst! My daughter got a referral to this office for the oral surgeon to remove her almost 90-degree bottom wisdom teeth 4/19/2022. Something went wrong with the referral, then it had to be resubmitted. On 4/29/2022 the new referral was reissued after I had to call her dental plan to straighten it out. They cannot see her until 6/15/2022. I drop her off at the dentist at least 15 mins before her appointment. I am barely down the street when she calls saying that the oral surgeon decided to leave early. Western Dental claims they called to ask my child to come in early, but there was no record of the call on her phone. Sooo, they reschedule her for today, 7/13/2022. My daughter got both a confirmation text and voicemail confirming her appointment a day or so ago for this appointment.

Sensing incompetency, I go with her this time and we arrive at least 45 mins early only to be told they no longer have an oral surgeon and that they tried to call her to tell her so, which is a flat-out lie. My daughter has been suffering for months and this office takes the cake. All Western Dental offices in the Sacramento area need to no longer be funded by Medi Cal at the very least, and at best, shut down for business overall. DO NOT TRUST WESTERN DENTAL! They are incompetent, waste your time, and in an unrelated incident, try to charge you for services you do not need! It's a big ** cash cow that needs to be put out of business. If something similar has happened to you, Call your health plan, California Dept of Managed Care, the Dental Board, and leave reviews on Google and the BBB. On BBB they have a rating of F and tons of horror stories.

Original review: July 3, 2022

After xrays and scheduling an appointment to pull certain teeth they didn't know which ones they should pull and asked me if I knew. They were slow in getting around to pulling the teeth when they figured out which teeth to pull and the pain medicine had worn off and didn't give more when I told them about it. I was prepaying for future work and they use unprofessional collection people. I told them when I would get my paycheck. I finally told them to forget doing any additional work when harassed to pay before I get my paycheck. I quit using them because what I said was being ignored. I was satisfied with the work done other than what I have mentioned.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I have been to many dentist. Be prepared to wait for hours every visit. It seems to have a professional staff. I could tell they will pinch every cent out of you, and give unnecessary work done to your mouth.

Western Dental & Orthodontics author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Dental & Orthodontics began with a single location in Los Angeles more than 100 years ago. It now has more than 200 offices throughout Arizona, California, Nevada and Texas. The practices offer general dentistry services, orthodontics, dentures and dental implants.

• Options: In addition to dental services for the whole family, Western Dental offers dentures and dental implants. Dentists at each location can help patients decide which option is best for them.

• Free consultation: Patients interested in learning about which options might be suitable for them can contact Western Dental 24 hours a day by phone to schedule a free consultation.

• Schedule online: Both new and existing patients can schedule an appointment online without needing to call their local Western Dental office.

• Financing: Western Dental & Orthodontics offers financing directly to patients so they don’t have to use credit cards or other outside financing. Even those with poor credit histories may qualify for financing.

• Insurance: Patients can see a complete list of accepted dental insurance plans on Western Dental’s website. Practices in California accept Denti-Cal, making them one of the largest Denti-Cal providers.

Western Dental & Orthodontics Company Information