1.12/5

Multiple California Locations

332 Western Dental & Orthodontics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have TDA dental insurance. I had gone to have a tooth extracted. The Western Dental dentist stated that I should have a root canal. I had to make sure it was covered by my insurance so for the last 5 years I've gone on thinking that the root canal was covered by the insurance. Checking my credit report I see that there's a $1900 bill from Western Dental so I call Western Dental to find out what exactly is the bill for and they told me that it was for the root canal. They stated that Western Dental covers PPOs and not HMOs with TDA insurance; that the services were complete and after 5 years they do not have the medical records. They can't tell me the price plus for 5 years it has been accumulating late fees so now that it's on my credit report I went down there today to try to get it removed at least late fees and they tell me I can dispute the charge after bill is paid. Idiots.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

This place is the biggest fraudulent, ripoff joint I have EVER experienced!!! They are so bad, it's hard for me to understand how they can stay in business. All I received was a antibiotic shot (gum infection) and a partial teeth cleaning. I paid them $280 & decided not to return for anymore (services). Now they are billing me $1800 more for services they never performed. BEWARE these guys are scam artists & they will shake you down!!!

Get expert buying tips about Dentures and Dental Implant Solutions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When shopping around for a dentist, I’ve learned to stay clear of this place. Service is bad, wait times are astronomical and by the time you see someone, they try to sell you on every type of service you most likely do not need. You feel pressured, and the person seeing you will not do simple requests without adding on additional services that I have gotten other opinions from other local dentists and found I didn’t need. Steer clear of this place!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I felt incredibly uncomfortable today at the McDowell location in Phoenix. I was told I needed things done that were not true. When I asked to be shown justification I was just given more double-talk. I was lied to then threatened that I would be charged $200+ for the "free" exam and xrays if I didn't buy some $131 "plan" that no one had told me one single thing about. Their story kept changing the more questions I had.

I was told I needed a bone graft but I had just had a CT scan with contrast done at the emergency room 24 hrs before and there was no bone loss that could justify that. I asked to be shown why I needed a bone graft and all I received was more double talk. I was told the dentist was not willing to do this simple extraction without the bone graft. Even though my health depended on removing this infected tooth as soon as possible.

I felt taken advantage of when I was desperate and in need of emergency treatment. They wasted my time when I had no time to waste. I did not feel that the patient's well being is their top priority. I felt that their only interest was to get as much of my money as possible for what was a simple extraction. I should've listened to the myriad reviews that indicate this is how Western Dental operates.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

In 2017, I had 4 molars pulled and a partial impression top and bottom done. I refused bone grafts and I was reluctant to sign a contract. But I was in pain and I wanted the pain to go away. After the procedure, it took me more than 4 weeks for me to heal, and learn how to chew with no hardly any back teeth. I refused to go back to that office and waited to have my wife's insurance Delta pick me up. So stay away from Western Dental on Hatch Rd., Ceres, Ca. So to make a long story short, they sent me to collections for $2,300! (Aug 2018). Charged me for Bone grafts that were never done, and their customer service is a Joke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have within the last year went with Western Dental in Palm Springs and Cathedral City locations to get my son braces. It has been one of the worst experiences in dealing with everyone who works in these locations and corporate office. It started off with when his ortho dentist went to the Cathedral City location. I gave a month notice and filled out the correct paperwork for the transfer. When the appointment for the other location was made nothing had been sent over. They made me fill out another contract with a higher interest rate and more money to pay.

When I went to call to get things corrected; they would ignore my calls. Western Dental in Palm Springs and Cathedral City both took payments out of my account on the same day. They then said I was overdue on payments and charged me $25.00 late fee. I had to get bank statements to show them that two payments were taken out of my account. They still continued to say that I was overdue and turned me over to collections. How can this happen when you have access to remove funds from my account when they are due. I then had an emergency call for a broken bracket and they told me bring my son in to repaired, but once there they would not take him in.

I just got another call yesterday saying the lab had to have another impression just after having an impression taken not but a few days ago. We then proceeded to wait hours for another impression to be taken for the second time. Once we were able to go in the back room to take the impression the dental assistant did not want me to stay with my son, and told me to leave the room. I refused to leave because of the many ordeals of them not doing the correct treatment plan. I watched as the dental assistant blamed my son for not doing the impression correctly after the third time. The dental assistant did not know how to do impressions correctly and was told by the dentist she did not know what she was doing. I am very sorry I ever had braces put on my son through Western Dental. I just an awful place to get your child treated!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I don’t understand how a company can call a person this much in one day. I answered the phone and told the company that I would call when I woke up and they continued to call me constantly. They are money hungry, blood thirsty company!!! They will harass you constantly until you answer their call. Do not go here!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

The office in Palm Springs, CA isn't even listed on the website under "locations" tab. I don't know whether to sue the dentist or the company now. I had waited 4 months with a painful abscess to get a root canal through Medi-Cal. The imbeciles in the office kept blaming Medi-Cal for the delay, but in actuality the office staff failed to send the correct x-rays required, never followed up, no matter how many times I called, so the treatment was denied. Hours on the phone between the office and insurance wasted my time, but I didn't want to start the process all over with another dentist, waiting even longer.

When I finally was able to schedule, they made me wait almost 2 hours even though I arrived on time. The dentist, Kang **, screamed at me to trust him, then after working on my root canal for 1 hour, said he couldn't finish, needed to acquire "another tool" and to schedule me to come back! My face is swollen like a balloon, and excruciatingly painful. I pray the next dentist can fix this problem as I am afraid he damaged my jawbone.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I took my two sons for the free orthodontic consultation. We decided not to go for the Orthodontic Care and yet we were still charged for orthodontic products that we never received. After speaking to the office multiple times eventually Western Dental sent us to collections. We never received any Orthodontic Care or orthodontic products and yet they sent us to a collection agency. Whenever I try to talk to anyone at the office they would simply cut me off. When I try to talk to anyone at the corporate office they would tell me to talk to someone at the office on Farmers Lane in Santa Rosa.

Then I try to call Farmers Lane, Fabiola ** the business manager and she would never return my calls. Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my 55 years. I urge you, stay away from this company like the plague, because if you have a billing dispute or question they will never resolve it. Dealing with Western Dental was the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My husband had his teeth pulled and got dentures in 2016. Everything he would need to have done was written up in a contract and agreed upon. We used Care Credit to pay part of it and made monthly payments to Western Dental until it was paid off. We were sent a statement about 5 months later, adjusting my dollar amount to a lesser number with no notification why, saying the contract had been paid in full. In the contract we were charged for the hard reline which needed to be done after, I think a year/year and a half. My husband went in recently and before anything was done he double checked with the staff and they looked up his account and said it was already paid for in the contract.

Skip ahead 2 1/2 months and we get a call from their collections department saying we needed to pay $955 immediately and were late. Um WHAT!?! Not only did they charge my husband for work he had already paid for according to the contract they didn't even tell him and it went straight to collections. We then received a bill in the mail. So husband goes to office and talks to office manager Stephanie and she tells him that no he doesn't owe anything. After weeks of her saying she would take care of it, many phone calls to corporate and collections they have decided that we owe them for the hard reline. So they have lost the business of 5 family members because they decided to be sketchy and double charge us. AND the dentures suck anyway!

Original review: July 18, 2018

Santa Maria office seems to be the same as most of ALL their other offices up & down the STATE of CA. I can't believe contract with Medicaid. SCAM. You go in there, they damn know you are low income and pull crap about removing teeth, implants, etc. Was there 3 different times w/ 3 different experiences with their doctors. The right hand has not a 'clue' what the left is doing. The last visit when I was to get work done, I wanted to READ their stupid contract like it was lice, doc got mad since I mentioned 'trust' with staff and walked out. WTF! I have the Right to Read before signing my life to you idiots! Make it know W.D. (more than likely) on a monthly payout by Medicaid (yes-- can do this) even if NOT 1 person w/ medicaid see a doc they will get cut a check. They make their $$$$ by SCAM you to believe you need more work than necessary!!! Such CRAP. THIS IS RUN WITH the GOVERNMENT! Please!!!

Don't even get me started on $$$ -- $50 is $50 and got my large amount back by calling the MAIN office daily, oooppss --- think you forgot that $50 on some denture appliance when I didn't get work done. I have complained to their customer service dept., management in O.C. and any where I can on-line. READ, I am telling you, do NOT rush, READ --- and have explanation about EVERYTHING from beginning to end. They will curve ball you! Believe that.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Thank goodness I've only gone twice before realizing that this was no more than an insurance mill. My first visit consisted of getting x-rays, and making a financial plan to get bottom implants, which sounded great, but I was there to remove a broken tooth. I wanted the complete bottom implants eventually, because I was eventually going to lose the teeth due to using ** with exposed bone due to an accident. (Side warning: do not use ** without knowing the risks.) After they'd worked out a plan for the implant cost, ($5,570), and had applied for a Care credit card for me without asking me first, they told me to make my next appointment. I told them to back the bus up, and pull the remnant of the broken tooth, which they refused to do, even though I had told them WHY I was coming in when I'd made the appointment.

Instead, they offered me a prescription for pain meds, which I turned down. So... before my next appointment, I called to clarify what we were going to do during the appointment, which was to pull the remnant of the broken tooth. During the call, we discussed the implants, and I made it clear that I wouldn't want to do that until the following spring. Somehow, the cost of the procedure came up, and the receptionist mentioned a price of OVER $7,500. I said "WHAT? That was not the price we'd agreed upon!" And she said that I could discuss it with the dentist when I came in. I decided to go in, just to get the tooth pulled, and figured that I would work out the details after I did that. So I went in, waiting an hour and a half before being led to the dental chair, where I finished 5 chapters of the Grisham book I was reading before the dentist finally came in.

He began talking about the implant surgery, I told him that on this day I was simply getting my tooth pulled, at which time he told me that I would have to work that out with the managing dentist. I asked to speak to him and was informed that he would not be in that week, and that I needed to make another appointment. I told him I wouldn't be coming back, that they had wasted enough of my time. I know that most people who have bad experiences with Western Dental don't leave a review, and that is how they are able to continue doing this to people. For me, I was just researching implant costs, and came across this site, and realizing that, I decided to leave my own review.

Reading through some of these, I now realize that I need to find out exactly what they have charged my insurance, because until reading this, I just assumed it was office visits. Also that before getting expensive treatment, I really need to read the reviews of considerate people who are trying to warn their fellow humans. Because, again, for every review left, there are probably thousands of bad experiences. Good luck, my fellow humans.

Original review: July 4, 2018

After being in pain for 3 days, I called Western Dental and was able to make an appointment for the same day. The phone rep gave me the site online where I was to go and pre-register and print out forms. I was advised that a consultation and examination and x-rays were free and also advised that I could use my CareCredit card to pay for my services. I get to the office and had to fill out forms because this office didn't have online access! In addition they tried to sell me their in-house dental insurance which requires a yearly lump sum upfront and then gives you reduced charges for dental services.

I didn't want another bill and requested that they bill my card for all services and then I would pay my card company back. The receptionist then advised that all services would be triple if I didn't sign up for their plan! Also they would triple the consultation, examination, and x-ray charges and triple the charge for whatever work was done to my aching tooth! Does this sound like a company that cares about people? Sounds like they're chasing the almighty buck! I'm not in pain to the point where I will allow them to scam me with their in house insurance policy. And how in the world can they triple the cost of items that they said were free? Needless to say, I won't be crossing their threshold again! ** and ** here I come!

Original review: June 29, 2018

A year ago they said they were going to crown one of my tooths so they numbed my mouth and left. Never did anything for about an hour. They came back and said, "You can called them again." They said they don't take my type of Medicare medical. Till this day my tooth still has no crown.

Original review: June 9, 2018

June 9, 2018 at 12:45pm I called the Western Dental office located at 44407 Challenger Way in Lancaster Ca. The rudest, rudest lady took my call regarding an upcoming appointment for a front tooth crown that was supposed to be done more than a month ago. I have been into the office 4 times (all with appointments) for this crown. Every time I go in I wait between 30 minutes - 2 hours before they tell me there's a problem getting my insurance (Medi-Cal) to cover the crown. I was told by Western Dental it was approved the day they did the top front tooth root canal. (This on tooth #8.) After they did the root canal they said I would have an appointment to come back for the crown prep/crown. They made me appointment in two more weeks.

When I returned for my scheduled appointment the Dentist Dr. ** told me my insurance decided they were not going to cover a crown because the tooth was not in bad enough shape, so a crown isn't necessary. THEN IF IT'S NOT IN BAD SHAPE WHY WAS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE A ROOT CANAL?? Why couldn't they just do a filling? I had no problems with the tooth before. No pain. Anyway, I called today to check status of approval for crown they keep having me return for. To avoid going in a fifth time for nothing. It was of course still not approved. So I told the rude, rude lady over the phone I was going to file appeal with Medi-Cal. She said "so do you want me to schedule you another appointment to come in or not". When I tried explaining to her that I needed to appeal Medi-Cal she kept talking over me repeatedly asking "do you want me to make the appointment or not"?

Finally I asked her if she would just listen to me for a minute so I could explain something, she responded with "so you don't need me to make you an appointment right"? What I was trying to ask her is about my maximum yearly limit on my insurance because I went in over a month ago (one of those appointments that were basically just to be told they still didn't have approval). They gave me a paper listing procedures and the cost/amount they were billing Medi-Cal for. On this paper is xrays- THEY ABSOLUTELY DID NOT DO ANY KIND OF XRAY OR ANYTHING ON THIS DAY! But they charged for it. Also they had a charge for an exam of some kind-there positively no exam of any kind done on this day either! But they did charge my insurance for that also. I'm only concerned because what if that's part of the reason my crown is now denied? Maybe Western Dental has charged up maximum benefits allowed for this year.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Four years ago I lost the second tooth from the front tooth. Since losing my health and dental benefits due to permanent disability. I was brought up to comply and respect persons of position of medical personal, teachers, men and woman representing so not questioning them telling me it was necessary to remove 22 the remainder of my teeth. I did not think to ask why. I thought they knew what was medically needed. Come to find out that's what they suggest on all medical and Medicare patients. My daughter had at age 28 had a bad back tooth. They told her it was necessary to pull all of them. Since then she has been able to get benefits provided by her job. Her new dentist gave her a root canal big difference.

I have in the past 4 years been told many of the same stories. Doing unnecessary procedures to bill the government at the cost of $50,000.00. Well that's what one of the bills I seen was. They don't even attempt to match your dentures to fit. They don't tell you your jaw will shrink which the dentures will no longer be able to seal to. So ones on top that look hideous and not able to wear the bottom ones for $50,000.00. All I needed was a couple thousand dollars which I would have eventually gotten. Now it's going to take $56,000.00 to get implants.

They have been deceiving the people who receive government assistance for years milking the system. I use to be very outgoing. A people person. Now I rarely go anywhere. They've made me miss out on a very good life. I've become depressed enough to seek out mental health help just to survive. I feel like I'm grieving every day. They need to be stopped and be held accountable for all the damage they've caused the many people they have scammed.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I received two different sets of dentures and neither one fit. They are not straight or even. When asked what I thought, was told, "No, they look fine." Very painful on lower set, but was told that they match up great. Not only do they not match up, but they don't even fit. Female doctor seemed very irritated that I was telling her they hurt and don't fit. She just stated to try them for a couple days, but I can't do it, they really hurt bad.

Original review: May 31, 2018

They would not do any work on teeth unless I had the deep root cleaning. Told me that’s why I was having pain. I said, “No. It’s because of the big hole in my tooth.” I could have a root canal if I had the cleaning. If not I could have it pulled... That was the last time I was in there. Oh and the dentist didn’t even see me. She sent someone else to tell me I was having pain because of my gums not the big hole in my tooth. If you can go to a different Dentist.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Brought my daughter there to have braces put on. They charged the crap out of me but I did it and the braces keep braking and their wires hanging out that have been cutting her mouth till she bleeds and they keep putting it off to fix it and it’s been two months with the braces all messed up. Please don’t trust them. They screw people bad and my older son had braces put in. Same problems so we refuse to pay till they fixed it and they told us they are gonna leave them on there till we pay the full amount. We are victims to Western Dental's problems. Don’t be another victim of them please!! I warn you. I don’t want to see these kids and adults get screwed by people who don’t care about you but just your money.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have been more than patient with Western Dental in getting my Care Credit charges taken off my account, of which now is $4,027.00, up $27.00. I have a copy of the CareCredit Sales draft dated March 17, 2018 (11.25 am) that was issued to me. In addition to this, I have not received my $687.00 charge to my B of A debit card on March 17, 2018 (order ID **). I called and spoke with one of your representative on 3 occasions, and each time the information was verified, and I was told on all 3 coactions the billing person was not in, but would get back with me later that day, I think this is standard practice for your company, and of course they have not get back with me.

My last attempt to resolve this problem was March 30, 2018. I was told again that the manager was not in and if I did not hear from them by 10:30 that day, to call back again, which did and was placed on hold for some 3-4 minutes and the phone went dead, that I contacted Attorney General’s office. I contacted the State of California Department of Justice, Attorney General office on March 2, 2018 of which, they just got back to me and is in the process of contacting Western Dental. I highly recommend, anyone having problems with Western Dental that they contact the Attorney General Office here in California. The contact information is: https://oag.ca.gov/ and file a complaint. I personally think, a class action lawsuit is appropriate.

Original review: May 20, 2018

My wife made an appointment for my two daughters and herself to get their teeth cleaned. A week before our appointment, my youngest daughter had a dental emergency. My wife called to make an appointment and corporate transferred us to the National City branch. And the receptionist gave us a Saturday appointment. I brought my daughter to the appointment and they told me that there was no appointment made. Now, I told the receptionist that the I was transferred by corporate. She then told me that they are booked up and would talk to a dentist to see if my daughter could be seen as a walk-in.

My daughter was in a lot of pain, so I called my wife and she and myself were very upset. I called their corporate number while I was there and they were upset and called the office where I was at. They said that they would try to get my daughter seen to at least to give her some pain killers or something to help her with the pain. The receptionist said that my wife was being aggressive, and she wasn't, but my wife was basically just trying to get my daughter the help that she needed. The receptionist called the police on my wife and when they arrived, they told her they are refusing her service and had her escorted out of the dentist office.

Well my plan of the day was to get my daughter some help, that's why I made the appointment. It just sucks that Western Dental can just make you feel like a number and let my daughter leave there in pain. I did end up taking to urgent care at Kaiser and they prescribed her some **. And I did manage to get her seen by a different dentist. I have been going to Western Dental for many years and will not return.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have had an appointment made at the 2626 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94110 office for May 12th 2018 at 10 am, somebody else not me changed my appointment to May 16th 2018 at 12 pm. After I doublechecked and was informed of new date by the customer service I went in on May 16th 2018 at 12 pm for teeth extractions. I awaited more than two hours for X-rays to be taken and for the consultation. Dr. ** was kind but not confident to do the extractions so I had to wait another one hour for Dr. **.

An estimate was brought to me for extraction of four teeth for 460$ to be billed to Medical under chart no. **. At the time the doctor proceeds with the numbing of gums and extraction. I am told that they will also place four bone grafts at the same time of doing this procedure of extraction of the four teeth, only that the bone grafts are not covered by Medical and have to be paid separately. I am already in the chair and the doctor is already in process to extract first two teeth. I am telling her that I was not told anything nor given any additional estimate for such. From front desk comes a miss ** with a calculation of 1,700$ for the four bone grafts (425$ for each) and an extra 33$ to have them financed thru Western Dental, a total new calculation of 1,733$.

I am told that I either have to pay in full for the bone graft I was never quoted nor informed or apply for financing thru Western Dental. I ask who is giving the financing, I am told that is Western Dental and same Mrs. ** proceeds to open on their computer a screen where she starts imputing my informations. I state to her that I consider making payments over the next 12 months but I want statements sent at home. She says yes, but we just need a debit card to have on file to be able to get this financing approved by the office. I make very clear that I do not want any payments deducted from my debit card nor wish to have Autopay, I wish to receive statements and reiterate again the fact that I was not informed of bone grafts to be placed at same time with the extraction until the doctor started to work on my teeth. She says that they will remove the card number immediately from the file after financing is approved.

She brings me paperwork back and a receipt for 200$ they just debited from my debit card ending in 8147 and a new chart, additional one it is created for the bone grafts being "Financed" by Western Dental, chart no. **. Receipt says Sale, Order ID **, Amount 200$, shows last 4 digits of card ** and was created at 5.09.23 PM on May 16th 2018 with Ref.no. ** and Auth. Code **. As I see such I get up from the chair and go to the front desk where I speak with the manager that is wearing a name tag ** and ask her to cancel everything in regards of financing the bone grafts as I have never agreed to charges to my debit card and for my debit card to be on AutoPay and be debited. Manager refuses to remove the card from the file, I request again cancellation of all regarding any placing of four bone grafts.

Dr. ** comes after me asking to return to dentist chair so she will finish extractions, I tell her I do not want bone grafts and she says she will not put any. After extraction of teeth is finished my gum is sown and I go immediately at front desk to request the money to be put back on my card. They did not use my debit card at the terminal where they take co-pays, the card no. ending on ** was put on their computer on their Pay system.

Manager ** writes an e-mail to supposedly Western Dental Headquarters to have the 200$ reversed back to my card but refuses to give me a print-out with the reference number and tells me to call HQ and obtain it at ph.1-800-4174444 next day. In same time I am on the phone with my bank at 7.38 PM and tell them of unauthorized use of card to be billed at and input in Autopay and the bank is asking for the reference number from the manager of Western Dental office - she refuses to speak with the bank representative.

At that moment in time manager ** goes ahead and cancels the finance contract and chart no.** for the bone grafts. It is 7.45 pm, I am leaving the office at 2626 Mission St., San Francisco of Western Dental. In same evening of May 16th 2018 at 9.15 PM I file a dispute thru Citibank dispute dept., ref.** in regards of the 200$ debited and my card being placed on an Autopay system without my permission by the staff at 2626 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94110, Next day in the morning of May 17th 2018 I call Western Dental at ph.no. I find as 888-8793290 - the one provided by Manager ** ph.1-800-4174444 does not connect at all - and thru Customer Service I get to speak with Mrs. ** at Billing Department.

I give her my name and date of birth and phone no. and she is not able at all to open the chart no. ** created for the financing contract for bone grafts and before speaking to her Customer Service also has a hard time finding my informations in their system under the initial chart no. ** created for the extraction of the four teeth. They cannot do anything to proceed to put back the money on my debit card and keep connecting me to the local office at 2626 Mission St. San Francisco.

Three times I go this route and wait for more than 20 min. each time to speak to the manager **. She does not pick up any of the calls. I end up going to the office at 2626 Mission St. San Francisco in person and request to speak with the manager as directed by Western Dental HQ three times before. Finally I get Customer Service on the phone again and Mrs. ** at ext. ** places me on hold and phone calls the local office and speaks with the Manager **. At that time supposedly per Customer Service the manager is trying to void the transaction from the previous day that they processed on my card ending in ** but they cannot do that anymore as amount already debited on my account., Customer Service Mrs. ** says that Manager ** will contact the Refund Dept. of Western Dental to request a refund.

The manager of local office does not do anything and does not provide me with anything to reflect payment being reversed back to my card. After another approx. 1h of asking the staff to call the manager to speak with me I tell them that I am going to the local police station to file a police report. The manager brings me a paper of Western Dental with Ref.no ** created at 12.54 pm by her, with my name written wrong on it as last name, by one letter. In the same time Customer Service is telling me that they do not have my debit card in the file anymore as the finance contract chart ** is already deleted from their system. I ask both the Customer Service Mrs. ** and in the same time the manager of the local office how would the money be put back on my card and bank account if there is no more card in the system and also point of the fact that on the paper I just received.

Now my name is written wrong by the local office Manager **. Takes another 30 min approx. for the Manager ** to issue another paper with Ref.no ** that has this time my name written correctly, but none of the two papers issued as the local office request for refund of my 200$ have mentioned on it my card no. or its last 4 digits, it is mentioned " Request Phase: Created and Credit Card: Yes". I ask again how many days it will take for the money to be posted back to my card and bank account. I am told 1-4 business days, then 14 business days, then 5 to 10 business days, by three different employees at front desk at local office 2626 Mission St., San Francisco.

At this moment in time show up two police officers from SFPD, badge no. ** - officer ** and ** - officer ** that were called by the local office manager from the nearby station Mission Police Station ph.415-5585400 asking me to leave premises of the office. I go outside with police officers and explain in detail what has happened to me and what the office has actually done using deceptive practice to try to get me to agree to the bone grafts.

At the same time the dentist was already working on the extractions and using my card info. to get a finance contract approved for such without me previously agreeing to such and by misleading me that I will receive statements and then actually them charging the 200$ to my card ending in 8147 that they have inputted in their system and that I am trying to have this charge reversed and that the headquarters does not have any notes placed by the manager the previous evening for a refund and that was them the headquarters who prompted me to speak with the local office and when three times I could not do that when they transferred me I came in person at the office.

The police officers tell me to go immediately to my bank with the receipt of the debit of the 200$ I was given the previous evening on May 16th 2018 by this office and with the papers that show the ref.no. ** on my correct name written by the local manager ** of the office of 2626 Mission St. SanFrancisco of Western Dental and they take a police report from me, case no. **, taken by officer ** with badge no. ** and to request to my bank to help me get the 200$ back and to sue the office of Western Dental but not to come to the office anymore at 2626 Mission St., San Francisco.

I leave after filling the report with the two police officers and I go straight to the branch of my bank where I speak with the branch manager and explain him the situation and give him the copies of the original receipt created by this local office of Western Dental when they debited ny card on May 16th 2018 at 5.09.23 PM and with the two copies of the ref.no.created by the Manager **, first one Ref.no. ** with my name spelled wrong by the manager ** and the second one ** with my name spelled correctly.

The bank manager looks up in the bank's computer and sees the reference no. from me calling the bank the previous evening and the Dispute Dpt. of the bank creating a dispute upon the debit of the account thru my debit card, ref.no of the bank for dispute ** and says that if the money are not being posted back to my account by Western Dental Refund Dept. my bank will file fraud charges. I call the Dispute Dept. of my bank after I reach home and I give them the ref.no provided by the Manager ** on my corrected name ** and they say they will submit this to the bank to be investigated and my money to be returned.

I call back the customer service no. of Western Dental to try to get in contact with somebody from management to give them the dispute no. from my bank and to ask the status of the refund, person at customer service places me on hold, calls the local office, is being told that a request was supposedly placed by the office manager and refuses to connect me further with anybody at the Refund Dept. of Western Dental or with any manager at Billing Dept. The Refund Dept. of Western Dental at HQ does not have a direct number and cannot be reached by a customer of Western Dental Directly, the number for Customer Service is 888-8793290 found by me and the number for the Billing Dept.at Western Dental HQ is 1-800-3263254 as provided to me by Customer Service I first spoken to on May 16th 2018.

I wish I would have read these reviews sooner than today upon the deceptive practices of the Western Dental, as from them I see it happened to many people in many locations so it is a practice they have into trying to get people to agree to finance procedures not previously described to them and to which they did not agree, just at the moment when dental work it is done to them, then their card informations are obtained and their cards are being debited without their permission and the local offices of Western Dental do this and the corporate office does not do anything to assist people that are ripped off thru this methods to receive their money.

In my situation if the money 200$ that Western Dental debited without my permission and used my card to create an Autopay under the chart ** for the financing of bone grafts without my permission are not posted back to my card ending in ** by tomorrow my bank and myself will file fraud charges against the Western Dental HQ and local office at 2626 Mission St., San Francisco, CA 94110.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I had one more small payment due on my only bill with Western Dental, and had just had my credit card stopped due to unauthorized activity so they tried to put thru the old number just as it was changed. I hadn't even had a chance to call them yet to tell them the new number. They proceeded to call me day + night and even AFTER I PAID the whole balance on the phone, they CALLED my EMERGENCY CONTACT person!!! For money!! So now I don't have any more Emergency Contact person. They got mad (I dont blame them at all) and said to never use their number again.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My 10 year old autistic daughter had an appointment for a check up. We arrived 10 minutes before her appointment time, and waited 30 minutes before she was called. After we went to the back we waited another hour and a half before the dentist even came over to look at her. She took less than 5 minutes and told us that my daughter will need braces. She's 10, too young in my opinion. Then she proceeded to tell me that she needed to have a cavity filled. I said, "Ok let's do that", but then she said she doesn't do that, the pediatric dentist does and we have to wait 2 weeks to get back in!

After she was done she then said, "We need to get sealant on her teeth." I said ok, and we again waited another hour before they came to do the sealant. Why does it take so long to do something so simple? And why can't a dentist do a filling? She's a dentist, it should have been done. When I asked why it was taking so long and explained I have another child getting home from school soon, and I live 30 minutes away they didn't seem to care. This place is worthless and we WILL NOT be coming back. It's ridiculous. People who came in after us were seen and done before us. Is it because they are minorities and everyone here working is minority? Go figure.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Went to Western Dental for free x-ray and exam, only to be charged $116.00, received a price of $13000.00 to repair all of my teeth. When I found out that they charged me for the x-ray I told them about it. They refused to refund the amount of the exam and x-ray, so I will spend my money elsewhere.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Western Dental is quick to take your money but when you request a refund they make you wait forever. I put in a request for a refund on the 7th of March. It wasn't approved until the 26th of March. Apparently it won't be issued until May 18th. This is ridiculous. If you are one day late on a payment they inundate you with calls asking for their money. But when they owe you a refund they see no reason to get your money back to you in a timely manner. Ridiculous. That and their focus on money rather than dental care is the reason I will no longer set foot in a Western Dental facility.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I got my braces done at Western Dental in Moreno Valley, for starters the only reason why I like going there is because of the one person who works there. Her name is ANITA. Now she's the best. I love when she does my braces cause she makes sure she does a good job and always double checks to see if I'm in pain or not. She has great customer service and really cares about her patients!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Ok I’m not one to vent publically but I have to! My mom is on Social Security and is an elderly lady and she had a tooth that was in pain which needed to be pulled... so she goes to Western Dental on Hatch Road in Modesto and without her consent they took out almost 400 dollars from her bank account. I went and paid her balance that same day so they could refund her back. I know it’s not a lot to some people but to my mom that’s all she has for the month to pay bills and for food. Now they are saying they won’t refund it back for another 30-40 days!

Please don’t go to Western Dental! There are so many horror stories dealing with them I can’t believe they are still in business! I wish I had known this before my mama went and got her tooth pulled. Oh get this. I was waiting over an hour to speak to the manager who I called two days ago and she said she’d call me back that same day and nothing from them... so I called and waited and waited... and still nothing... Please share this so other people do not have to go through this.

Original review: March 4, 2018

2014 Western Dental was recommended by my insurance company to get the most for what I needed. At first I found everyone to be very cordial and concerned. I had already been told that due to medications all my teeth would have to be pulled. Again I found WD to be very accommodating. Since getting my dentures, they have had to remake one denture that didn't fit correctly. Since then I have had six (6) teeth fall out and a seventh I must have swallowed. My last visit to have teeth rebonded, they insisted on a refit. I refused the refit and was dismissed without their fixing my denture. I purchased a repair kit and those teeth are still solid, my seventh tooth is totally new. I had a dentist actually tell me that my teeth may not be staying bonded because of poor work, not cleaning base before bonding teeth. Of course no one remembers. I am forced at this point to return to WD as they have my molds to create a new tooth. Has anyone else experienced this?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

If I could give them no stars, I would. I am so disgusted and so frustrated. I went to one of the local offices in Dec for a painful tooth. I was told it was infected and needed to be extracted. My Insurance would pay for the extraction. Then they said I need a bone graft, because of bone loss in my mouth. Which I know is the truth! I said "fine, let me call my husband who was in the car!" He said it needs to be done so just put it on the Citi card! I gave the manager, the card, she ran it and came back with the receipt for me to sign it. They worked on me and I left with my receipt in hand. I get a call from the billing Dept from the corporate office saying "this is an attempt to collect a debt!" I am thinking what the heck is going on. Let me tell you all how disgustingly rude and unprofessional they are. They treat you like a common criminal.

No matter how I explained I paid this debt, they insisted I did not! The rep put me on hold saying he was going to call the local office. He came back on and said "they said you did not pay the debt!" I flipped out and hung up! I drove across town to the office and saw the manager who said I have a $0. balance, because it was paid the same day. She assured me it was cleared out. Then the harassing calls kept coming and they are getting nastier and nastier. I got one such call and asked for a supervisor who said, "Ma'am, it shows the $483.00 was paid on Dec 9th 2017." But they tried to run a charge of $9.91 in early Jan. I asked for what? I never set foot in there after they did my tooth and then a few days after to deal with the billing fiasco. He told he would submit the $9.91 bill to be audited and that should clear it up. Now here we are again today Friday Feb 2nd 2018.

More calls and a letter in the mail that I owe this money to which they added late fees, bringing it up to $508.00. I don't owe these people. I paid my bill. I am at my wit's end. I do not know what else to do. I know I am not paying a debt I already paid! You cannot speak to these people, you cannot reason with them. I have severe health issues. Two of which are uncontrollable asthma and recently diagnosed with lupus. I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone with them. Do not go to Western Dental if you could help it!

Western Dental & Orthodontics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Western Dental & Orthodontics began with a single location in Los Angeles more than 100 years ago. It now has more than 200 offices throughout Arizona, California, Nevada and Texas. The practices offer general dentistry services, orthodontics, dentures and dental implants.

• Options: In addition to dental services for the whole family, Western Dental offers dentures and dental implants. Dentists at each location can help patients decide which option is best for them.

• Free consultation: Patients interested in learning about which options might be suitable for them can contact Western Dental 24 hours a day by phone to schedule a free consultation.

• Schedule online: Both new and existing patients can schedule an appointment online without needing to call their local Western Dental office.

• Financing: Western Dental & Orthodontics offers financing directly to patients so they don’t have to use credit cards or other outside financing. Even those with poor credit histories may qualify for financing.

• Insurance: Patients can see a complete list of accepted dental insurance plans on Western Dental’s website. Practices in California accept Denti-Cal, making them one of the largest Denti-Cal providers.

• Best for: patients in Arizona, California, Nevada or Texas, especially those looking for direct financing from their dentist.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs