Multiple California Locations

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Western Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have a broken tooth that needs to be extracted. I have known this for a few years. I went to Western Dental as my previous and XLNT dentist retired. I know what I needed and want, the tooth pulled. WD did a full set of x-rays. Hardly a consultation occurred before their saleswoman tried up-selling me into other procedures. I declined. Then I was told the oral surgeon would not be able to extract my tooth and an appointment was made for 3 weeks later. When I went for the extraction I was told a $400 bone graft is needed and your insurance won't cover it. The dentist said, "Aign or we won't extract the tooth." I walked out. Caveat emptor.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

DO NOT Go to this dental company. They are the worst in customer service. I had a broken tooth and all they could offer me was a implant that would cost me $5,000.00. I have gone to another dentist, and they offered so much more than just an implant. I have been trying to get my deposit back for over 3 weeks and each time I call their number I am disconnected or greeted by a horrible person. I am still waiting for my credit to my bank account. I am on a fixed income, and this is horrific. I am not sure if I will ever get my money back! This place needs to be audited by an authority. They have too many bad marks on them! I have reported them on Yelp and the Better Business Bureau.

Get buying tips about Dentures and Dental Implant Solutions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2022

If I could leave 0 stars, I would. Every Western Dental I have been through always frustrates me, but this office is the worst! My daughter got a referral to this office for the oral surgeon to remove her almost 90-degree bottom wisdom teeth 4/19/2022. Something went wrong with the referral, then it had to be resubmitted. On 4/29/2022 the new referral was reissued after I had to call her dental plan to straighten it out. They cannot see her until 6/15/2022. I drop her off at the dentist at least 15 mins before her appointment. I am barely down the street when she calls saying that the oral surgeon decided to leave early. Western Dental claims they called to ask my child to come in early, but there was no record of the call on her phone. Sooo, they reschedule her for today, 7/13/2022. My daughter got both a confirmation text and voicemail confirming her appointment a day or so ago for this appointment.

Sensing incompetency, I go with her this time and we arrive at least 45 mins early only to be told they no longer have an oral surgeon and that they tried to call her to tell her so, which is a flat-out lie. My daughter has been suffering for months and this office takes the cake. All Western Dental offices in the Sacramento area need to no longer be funded by Medi Cal at the very least, and at best, shut down for business overall. DO NOT TRUST WESTERN DENTAL! They are incompetent, waste your time, and in an unrelated incident, try to charge you for services you do not need! It's a big ** cash cow that needs to be put out of business. If something similar has happened to you, Call your health plan, California Dept of Managed Care, the Dental Board, and leave reviews on Google and the BBB. On BBB they have a rating of F and tons of horror stories.

Original review: July 3, 2022

After xrays and scheduling an appointment to pull certain teeth they didn't know which ones they should pull and asked me if I knew. They were slow in getting around to pulling the teeth when they figured out which teeth to pull and the pain medicine had worn off and didn't give more when I told them about it. I was prepaying for future work and they use unprofessional collection people. I told them when I would get my paycheck. I finally told them to forget doing any additional work when harassed to pay before I get my paycheck. I quit using them because what I said was being ignored. I was satisfied with the work done other than what I have mentioned.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I have been to many dentist. Be prepared to wait for hours every visit. It seems to have a professional staff. I could tell they will pinch every cent out of you, and give unnecessary work done to your mouth.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Western Dental is an absolutely horrible dental provider. Prior to Medicare I was paying out of pocket and went to the dentist faithfully every six months. Five months ago I went to my personal provider and had a complete set of x-rays and a cleaning. At that time the dentist indicated that everything looked great and to continue doing what I was doing. Now five months later, and now with Medicare I selected a dental plan using Western Dental as my new provider. After sitting in the WD lobby for 2 hours, they then put me in a room and re x-rayed by teeth.

The dentist who never introduced herself came in and indicated that I need three crowns and two root canals, mind you I just had x-rays down 5 months ago and then an assist came in to determine what my insurance would cover. I told her that I had just went to the dentist and they indicated that everything looked “great”. This office in Van Nuys is lacking in everything associated with customer service and I have a major question regarding their credibility, ethicality, and professionalism. Do not use Western Dental!

Original review: May 6, 2022

DO NOT COME HERE! I came back to this office since it was so close to my home but I am leaving it again! The providers are fine but the support staff is just awful! The front office girl is incompetent!!! I was never told that they were not able to accommodate my appointment because they not able to verify my insurance. She just kept calling the wrong number instead of researching my file from a year ago which had my cell phone on it. Then she didn't put me down as honoring my appointment so 4 people called me from Western Dental the next day! After the 4th call it started to feel like harassment. I am definitely changing providers. And here I am on hold for 20 minutes now trying to cancel my appointment. This place is joke!! I wish I could give 0 stars.

Original review: May 2, 2022

They got me to sign up for their "discount program" and now I am paying $12.25 a month and they will not let me cancel it! I have called numerous times and they keep telling me I must email them and that's the only way. NOBODY EVER RESPONDS TO THE EMAIL REQUESTS!!!! Don't be fooled like I was! Not only could I not afford their outrageous prices I can't afford this discount program. Also, they wanted to charge me thousands for all this work, refused to just pull the tooth. They said was unable to be saved with a root canal. I went somewhere else who not only did the root canal and saved the tooth, but they also only charged me $375!!!! Beware of Western Dental!

Original review: March 23, 2022

I have 4 kids, ages 10-15 years old, all whom have braces. I made the mistake of buying in to this money hungry scam when I went to Western dental. I’m paying $150/child a month for braces, $612 total. It gets really hard to keep up with those payments, but let me just say if I’m one day late I have western dental calling my phone 16 times a day until the payment is made. Not to mention hundreds of dollars in late fees.

We also live an hour away from the office, and I requested for all appointments to be made after school only, I also have 2 kids very involved in sports so there have been a few occasions where I had to reschedule appointments due to football games and track meets, only to find out later on that I was being charged $25 for every rescheduled orthodontist appointment, for each one of my kids. That’s $100 and I feel like I’m in the biggest financial scam right now. It makes me sick! Another issue I’m having is that if I’m late on any one of my payments, they won’t see my kids until it’s paid up. I hate this place and wish I knew better before I got locked into this nightmare!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid. Western Dental is not much more than a scam for upselling patients on unnecessary dental work. Read their online reviews or just google the company, they've been brought up on fraud charges multiple times.

Western Dental & Orthodontics author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Western Dental & Orthodontics began with a single location in Los Angeles more than 100 years ago. It now has more than 200 offices throughout Arizona, California, Nevada and Texas. The practices offer general dentistry services, orthodontics, dentures and dental implants.

• Options: In addition to dental services for the whole family, Western Dental offers dentures and dental implants. Dentists at each location can help patients decide which option is best for them.

• Free consultation: Patients interested in learning about which options might be suitable for them can contact Western Dental 24 hours a day by phone to schedule a free consultation.

• Schedule online: Both new and existing patients can schedule an appointment online without needing to call their local Western Dental office.

• Financing: Western Dental & Orthodontics offers financing directly to patients so they don’t have to use credit cards or other outside financing. Even those with poor credit histories may qualify for financing.

• Insurance: Patients can see a complete list of accepted dental insurance plans on Western Dental’s website. Practices in California accept Denti-Cal, making them one of the largest Denti-Cal providers.

Western Dental & Orthodontics Company Information