Multiple California Locations

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Western Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: March 19, 2021

I have been trying to get a set of dentures for 6 months because Western Dental screwed up my impressions so I had to take impression 3 times so that means each appointment is 3 weeks long. They have screwed up my bite twice so that means I had to wait another 6 weeks. They screwed up making the dentures 3 times so that was another 9 weeks. After 6 months of trying to get a set of dentures I had enough. I am so angry

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

Policies and procedures are not conducive to serving customers. Xrays are mandatory every 6 months. This is non negotiable or they will deny teeth cleaning services; even if you had prior xrays with the same company within 6 months that showed no prior dental health issues. This indicates to me the policy is not about patient health and/or Dentist protection. This practice is unethical, about money, and billing insurance companies for unnecessary services. Cleaning is not considered part of a routine exam. You need to book 2 appointments - one for an exam, one for cleaning. You cannot book a cleaning prior to a full exam. This is not told to you up front on the phone or at the office; 2/5/21 the staff lied until my exam was over. This is not considerate of people's time.

My exam showed mostly 3's, some 4's for gum health; indicating mild gum issues. Cleaning was quoted to me for $200, to be completed at a separate appointment, then the only treatment they offered for gums would have costed an additional $850. Treatment was not explained by Dr. **, my questions about it were ignored, and no other options were available. This is highly unethical and unprofessional. I have had prior treatment for mild gum issues in the past with a mouthwash for $50. There is a poster on the wall in the dental exam room offering free whitening strips worth $40 for good reviews online. From start to finish, the company has unethical practices.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Here I am three hours later waiting outside their door. This would be my fourth appointment for my braces and I have yet to wait anything shorter than two hours for my scheduled appointment. Appointment was at 10 AM. It’s now 1:15 in the afternoon. My sitter has things to do and I’m screwed.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

This experience has been terrible, we loved our doctor and the staff in the back. But customer service and bill department is ridiculous. I wouldn’t recommend any one here. They don’t answer. Put you on hold and never come back to the line. They need a better accounting and billing department. My account was closed and 6 months later they send me a bill! But no one can tell me why they stopped sending bills. My bill was always paid on time. Save yourself a headache. Don’t sign a contract here.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

The events are below for two appointments. Not only are we disgusted with the insurance and booking processes, we are utterly ashamed and appalled at the treatment they gave my 82-year-old uncle! Never go to Western Dental... ever!! Three days ago my husband broke his tooth, so I reached out to Western Dental to schedule an emergency appointment. I also scheduled an appointment for my 82-year-old uncle to have an issue checked out with one of his teeth.

They called to confirm the appointment and about insurance for my uncle. They said they would call his insurance company and call me back this morning, on Monday, to confirm that my uncle's insurance was doable since he was from another state. They never called me back. This is not the big issue, but an important one to consider if we don’t want to waste our time on an appointment if they don’t see us because of insurance.

They also called my husband today to check on his insurance. They were convinced he did not have insurance despite the fact that we confirmed with our own insurance company that yes, we definitely have insurance. Then they wanted my social security number. This is unwarranted and in 25 years of going to the dentist and having a group plan with my family, nobody has ever had to have my social security number to use their own benefits.

Because of this issue, I took time on an extremely busy workday to contact our insurance company and they sent me confirmation that yes in fact, my husband is covered. I called the Western Dental office to confirm with them that we had documentation that he was covered, and they STILL insisted on having my social security number! They also said that they couldn't see him unless a fax came from our insurance company confirming that he was covered. I told them I HAD THE INFORMATION FROM THE INSURANCE COMPANY. I told them I would fax it. She finally gave me a fax number (while chewing on food, rustling papers in the background, taking the phone away from her mouth so I had no idea what she was saying to me…extremely rude).

I asked repeatedly where this fax would be going because it was confidential information and I wanted to know for sure who would be receiving it. She arrogant, rude, snippy, and in the end, I canceled my husband's appointment because he was standing right there listening to this conversation. We didn’t want this situation to prevent my uncle from being seen, so we moved forward with his appointment UNFORTUNATELY.

We canceled my husband's 3 pm appointment but kept my uncle’s 3:30 pm appointment so they should have been able to see him without any issues. My husband and uncle arrived at 2:50 pm. They did not see my uncle until 4:15 pm!!! So they made my 82-year-old uncle wait for all that time in the car outside before they would be willing to see him. Then they had him wait inside for another 20 minutes. Then they wanted to have him wait outside again for another undetermined amount of time. So he saw the dentist for maybe 10 minutes and wanted him to wait for hours to get any kind of documentation about what was needed.

My husband said he was not going to make him wait any longer and guess what the lady said! She said, “Well I have a paper here for him, do you want it or not?” My husband said, “What makes you think that we want to pay for an appointment and not get the paperwork?” He then tried to help her understand that she was being unprofessional and that he was uncomfortable with making our uncle wait so long. She turned her back on them and walked away! WTH???

The lady was so snippy and rude, my husband who is the kindest and the nicest man you could ever meet was even frustrated! Here is a man that donates and volunteers every moment of his life to helping others and you will NEVER meet a nicer guy in your life. And this is the guy who walked away so frustrated at the treatment they gave both he and my uncle that we will never, ever, EVER go back to ANY Western Dental for the rest of our lives. EVER!!! Everyone we spoke to was rude, impatient, and treated my uncle despicably. Here is an older gentleman, a retired vet, who deserves much better treatment than he received. UNBELIEVABLE! NEVER EVER GO TO WESTERN DENTAL!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I made an appointment to have a tooth extraction. Went to my appointment thinking they were going to extract the tooth but instead told me I would have to wait 2 weeks to have it done. I am in agonizing pain getting worse by the day. No doubt it will abscess by then and I will be in the ER. My appointment isn't until the 27th. It's the 14th. If I live to the 27th I will post another review about my experience.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I have had an appointment on the books for two weeks. I have this company as my dental insurance. I have received about 6 emails and a text from them to confirm my appointment. I replied to all inquiries stating I would be there. I did the online paperwork. I did the online covid questionnaire. Showed up 15 minutes early for my appointment. I was told that there were three people ahead of me that also had appointments and still hadn’t been seen. So they had to cancel my appointment.

I cannot express how infuriating it is to have an appointment and not be notified that it needs to be rescheduled before you arrive. Like most people I had to request time off of work for this appointment. And use leave time. And find child care. It is ridiculous that a company can email me and text me to make sure I’m coming but cannot manage their schedule to keep appointments or notify people before they leave home. I spent 35 minutes driving for no reason. I will not go back. I will warn everyone that asks not to go here. I am changing my dental insurance.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

My horrible experience is with the Billing Department and not with the actual facility which they are amazing workers and very welcoming. I hate to transfer dentists as we have been with them for many years, but I am done with Western Dental, period. Long story short, my son had 1 filling done March 2020 and they charged us for 2. We were supposed to get our refund for that one filling that was not done.

Fast forward to August 2020 after calling several times, customer service representatives are extremely rude and I feel they do not speak English. Manny, Katherine, Josseline, etc. I wish I wrote all their names down were extremely rude. The last call I made and my final call they said it's a dispute with the bank and I have to take it up with them. WHAT!!!! I don’t mean to sound like such a complainer, but that refund money can pay my bills! Anyway, today my kids had an appointment, this was their last appointment as I am transferring out, I wanted to say good bye to the ladies that have been good to us all these years, but I am so annoyed writing this I'm going to cancel and start with the new dentist I found.

Original review: July 22, 2020

Have been to the Hemet, Ca. Western Dental office now about 5 times to fix two teeth and a cleaning. Went to have root canal redone per their referral, this was in early January. I went to have this tooth that had root canal redone in early February and another tooth fixed which was actually a bridge to replace. On that visit to work on both teeth and the temporary filing from root canal had fallen out at that point. The dentist started to work on my bridge by cutting off front tooth crown section and then started to prep for temp crown, this is where I said what are we doing as we are supposed to be replacing the bridge per what Yolanda in their office had informed me, needless to say all work stopped as they scrambled to figure out what to do. They installed a temp crown on front of bridge and told me I was going to have to speak to Yolanda, all while they ignored me that I needed at least a temp filing in that one tooth.

Finally after they reopened from covid I made a follow up appointment, after I had to find out their office was open. I went in, after calling for appointment and when called by Yolanda the day before no one would discuss with me what was to be completed!? I showed up early for my appointment, filled out a whole new patient packet as requested and was told to wait in my vehicle outside and would be sent a text. An hour later I went back inside and asked receptionist when I would be seen? She told me that the dentist was going to have to review my file still to see what was going to need to be done still, I asked when that was supposed to happen when this is why I asked to talk about this before my appointment, she said dentist was busy and she did not have an answer.

I told her that I was in pain standing waiting with my disabilities and that I also had scheduled this because I have a disabled mother I have to get back to. I then had to inform her to please contact at home as to when they can take the time to review my file, even call me and plan it so I can come in and actually get some work finished for once without total confusion. And a side note, would be a good practice not to have a group of the ladies in another room laughing and chatting up conversations while this one person is at front desk seemingly lost.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Do NOT recommend this place!!!! If you could find another orthodontist in the area, I would advice you go there. The entire Western Dental has poor service from corporate all the way down the the front desk workers. They told me 6 months for braces because essentially my teeth were not bad, I just had a small gap in the front that I wanted closed. I had no crooks and my teeth were straight. My teeth progressively got worse when I got the braces on and now they have been on for a year and 4 months! My teeth became uneven, more gaps were created and crooked because of the lack of knowledge of the orthodontist.

I take good care of my teeth and I see the orthodontist every month. I called the office about it and they said to talk to the doctor about my contract because they can’t discuss my contract over the phone. When I asked the orthodontist about when I could possibly get them off and if I would have to pay for the extra amount of time that they’ve been on even though it’s not my fault, he said he didn’t know. I called the corporate offices to ask who I am supposed to talk to about this and I could not get in touch with anyone and I emailed them with no response going on 3 weeks ago now. Worse place ever!!!! I do not recommend.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Veronica, You are so nasty and rude. Are you upset, because I asked you questions and you had to actually do your job today? Western Dental has been the worst decision I've ever done. I'm so happy I'm almost out of my contract. Don't miss any payments because these people will harass you. A majority of people are out of work and western dental has no problem adding late fees. They will hang up in your face and talk to you like you're inconveniencing them. Um excuse this is your job and if it wasn't for your customers you wouldn't have a paycheck.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I experienced over four months of deception and misinformation, on the part of every single person I spoke to at Western Dental. My daughter agreed to a medical procedure that she did not need, because a doctor preyed on her fear. Every time I spoke to someone, I was given different information. The local office manager in Salinas, California avoided my calls for over a month and even though I was actually owed money, due to overpayment, the billing department called relentlessly. Not one person in this organization can be trusted and they will try and upcharge you at every opportunity.

Both my daughter and I were harassed at all hours of the day, because this organization thought they could squeeze just a little more money out of us. The level of unprofessionalism displayed by every single employee is astonishing and this organization should be ashamed. Their behavior has violated every ethical principle that medicine is built on and I imagine if a large scale audit is performed, it would find that this is standard practice. I believe that Western Dental is in the business of stealing from their patients. Avoid Western Dental at all cost!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Horrible scam if you are a Denti-Cal patient. I was told I would need to pay $1600 cash up front for a "deep cleaning" before filling my cavities. The average cost for periodontal scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) is between $275 and about $980. The deep cleaning is covered by Denti-Cal, but this thief wants more. I told the dentist I wanted fillings for cavities in my front teeth. When getting the estimate for the work, these teeth were not included...but it was $8500 for the other teeth...and NOT covered by Denti-Cal. I asked for whatever Denti-Cal would cover and was to NO, I would need to first pay $1600 for the cleaning. STAY AWAY. I am reporting this company for the abuse.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Last week I came up with a very severe toothache and I called Western Dental to get an appointment which it was like pulling teeth. They gave me one appointment in 15 days that was the soonest, I tried calling again to see if they can help me. The results were the same. Very horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Brought my daughter to her first appointment and the Ortho got straight to the point. Dentist was very helpful with providing as much info so we could understand procedures. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. Aimee was the most helpful by explaining payment plans and options for my daughter's braces. Thank you for being so patient with me.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

After having such a difficult time at my first office in Antioch on Lonetree I was transferred over to the Pittsburgh office on railroad. Carly the lady that works with Western Dental 800 number corporate helped me by calling Roya at the Pittsburgh Western dental where they listened to my problems and accepted me and helped me. Thank you so much Roya For all your help and understanding and your staff was nice to me as well. Sincerely Julio **

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE!! I did my Invisalign in their Irvine office and result after couple years and getting 3 sets is awful. This location used to be smile wide when I initially bought my package and they keep changing my Dr and later they change the name to Western Dental and again keep changing my doctor. Their doctors are unprofessional and careless, the only thing they care is money with poor service! I paid approximately $6k for Invisalign. After 3 sets with this awful result they are saying, "Oh you shouldn’t do Invisalign and since you are not happy you can pay more and do orthodontic" (it's because their office is stop doing Invisalign and they don't want to get responsibility of my result) which is absolutely rude.

I called them several times and they have never called me back. I also called to their cooperation office and talked with Cidney three weeks ago. She was super rude and hangs up phone on me, so I called back and their supervisor told me she will follow up with Irvine office and asked their manager to call me which I've never get a called back!!! This is not the first time that I am being treated badly and keep giving letter to sign in case they don't get sue. After they got the total payment they started treating me a badly... If I could them 0 I would definitely give them 0.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I first got dentures made through them and they have never fit right. I went back to have this corrected and the dentist talked me into getting bottom dentures made as supposedly this would make a big difference. He said I needed 2 teeth extracted on the bottom for a partial denture to be made. I have TMJ and I always tell the dentist this. He was so rough and it took him so long to yank and I mean yank that one tooth out I was mad and in pain and said no more. The pain lasted a month. I told them I no longer wanted to do business with them and the contract was ended before it began and they said I owed them no money after that as the tooth was covered by my health insurance. This was last January.

So now in late July I start getting bills from them for 1,000 +. I call and tell them this is a mistake as I was told by the account dept that I owed nothing and I quit going to them. The woman from the account dept in my city said she would call me back and never did. She said it was for impressions and I told her when I left that day they said I owed nothing! Then I get another bill and I call that office and the guy says a 'audit' was done for 2016 and 17 and I owed money from that. This is not true as I paid for my rotten dentures in full. They are liars and thieves and I do not know what to do. I am retired and do not have this money and wouldn't pay them even if I did. I am so stressed out over this. Never go to Western Dental, they are a terrible company that does shoddy work and tries to shake you down for money.

Original review: July 30, 2019

Today I was not seen for the second time because the front desk staff do not have the knowledge or ability to explain the forms they want you to sign. They have a waiver form for jury trial. I asked why must I sign this to be seen. Because it’s company policy I was told. So....are you not performing quality care where one would need to nullify my right to jury trial in a malpractice suit??? They can’t answer and became very rude!!!! If one cannot give clear reason for policy, why should customer be forced to sign!?!? Mass production of poor care to less fortunate and unaware innocent individuals!!!

Original review: July 28, 2019

I went to them in October 2018, paid for deep cleaning kit every month thereafter. The cold part is that I never received the kit until February 2019! They really had me pay for something that I did not have. I've called and complained numerous times and each time I keep getting a ruder person.

Original review: July 1, 2019

First of all, any time you come here you will end up waiting for well over an hour. They are extremely expensive compare of to other dentists I've gone to and they are very rude and are literally only out to make as much money as possible regardless of how it actually affects your teeth. I had been going to them for about 3 years and came in when I was about 5 months pregnant because a filling had fallen out. Before anything, I went to see my doctor and okayed having the necessary dental work done. When I went into the office with a letter from my doctor okaying it, the dentist still refused to do any work saying it was too dangerous while pregnant and talked me into some very expensive molds that you put cleaner in to soak your teeth in to keep it from getting worse. They ended up charging me about $200 more than they quoted me without even explaining why and I stupidly didn't notice when I signed the receipt.

After I got the cleaner and took it to my doctor to look at, my doctor told me that it was not safe to use while pregnant and to avoid it. I took it back to the dentist and asked them since it was in a sealed package and unused and unsafe for me to use while pregnant if I could return it. The manager said they will never in any way do a refund and too bad for me, I signed the paper so I was stuck with it and if I didn't pay it they were going to send me to collections. I then spent months writing letters to and calling their corporate office and trying to get somebody to talk to me about the issue. The collections department called me every single day sometimes up to 4 times a day but all of their people would give me different numbers to call to talk to someone who could actually help me.

After dealing with this for several months and never talking to someone who did anything except waste 45 minutes of my time they sent the bill to a outside collections department who said if I didn't pay it immediately they would put it against my credit report. At that point about 4 or 5 months later they had already charged me hundreds of dollars in fees and my bill ended up being over $900 for literally nothing since they never even actually gave me the product that they were charging me for. This was absolutely with no doubt the worst possible dental experience I could imagine and the tooth that they refuse to fill, by the time my baby was born, ended up rotting to the point that I had to have it pulled when if they had just filled it when I asked them to and my doctor okayed it then I would still have my tooth.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Getting out of a contract with these people even when you didn’t get work done due to a change of heart is a nightmare. Don’t work with these people. You’ll have deep regrets. They aren’t organized or professional. They transfer you to 5 different people and keep you on hold. They tell you that the person you need to talk to just to cancel isn’t in. It’s seriously a nightmare. You have to go in the office to cancel. It’s so bad.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Very excited to find a dentist and staff that is so thorough and kind. Could have hung out all day even though I was getting drilled. Dr. ** is my dentist for life now! Grace is so informative and the whole staff is amazing.

Original review: June 12, 2019

To tell you the truth I thought they were too pricey and wouldn’t work with you but once I went in It was a whole different experience. The staff is nice there, very good on taking you back and I making you wait and also they answer all your questions and they made me feel comfortable and they’re not overly priced and Ms Mara ** which is the office manager has the best customer service, very helpful and the team there is very kind. Now that I go there I recommend Them to my family. Thank you guys for helping my husband get his teeth fixed from Marcos **.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Hi, My name is Nguyen. I have no dental insurance and I called Western Dental to inquire about an implant. I was told that I will get a free estimate without charge as a new customer without dental insurance. I called them again to make sure that information they provided me was correct before going to their clinic. They said yes that I will get a free estimate. I need to take off one hour of my work to go to their clinic. When I get to the clinic, they told me that different clinic has different policy and we charge $139 for estimate for new patient without dental insurance. I was so upset and disappointed. They need to be upfront if they do not want to provide a free estimate instead of lying to their potential patient and allure them to their clinic then they told them different.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I went to Western Dental in Oceanside. After waiting for at least a hour, I was told by the coordinator that my quote is $18,000.00. Since I have medical, they will pay for $10,000 so my portion would be $8,000. I can't afford any of it. Medical won't pay for root canals, which I need 5. They will pay for crowns which I need 5. Before they want to pull more broken teeth, I'm definitely taking a trip to T.J. and get what I can fixed. I know I will be able to get all the work done for under $600. The staff is nice. Veronica and Lynae @ the Vista Way office is great. Thanks but no thanks.. Joy **

Original review: May 14, 2019

I went in seeking advice on how to fix a tooth that is in dire need of a filling. Instead of solving the problem until I am able to pay 33k which was quoted to me. I was basically told this is my fee for this option for this option and this option. They were thorough in proving that. Not once provided an option to help get me by until I had the 33k or a direction to go in. When I called to receive my xrays. The front desk associate was rude. Told me she was alone and would not help me. I was blown that she did that and that she didn't even ask my name or number. I asked her if she could take my info down and was told NO. This is unacceptable to me. I strive off of customer service and try very hard to please my customers. I would never be so petty to blow them off. Especially in requesting Xrays for a second option.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been waiting since December 2017 for my partial/partials. I was promised over and over and over they are on the way. "We’re waiting from the lab to ship them blah blah blah." May 2018 after a numerous amount of impressions and xrays I was promised my partials would be ready by May before I left on my trip. They called me the day before I left and said, "I’m sorry your teeth didn’t get ordered and I don’t know what happened again blah blah blah." I went in person to sign a cancellation of service and get a refund for the service that was never done and or partials I still have not received. They offered me a check for $596.00. I’m like, "Where’s the rest of it??" I requested an audit. NOW they are saying my teeth are in and I owe them $1900.00. Does anyone have the name and number of a good attorney?? I’m so done with Western Dental????

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently had my teeth cleaning appointment with Western Dental on Jackson street in Hayward. First my appointment was at 1pm. When I got there they had me fill out forms. Then I had to sit and wait for 2 hours before they called me inside for X-ray. The wait was frustrating. Then they had me sit on the cleaning chair and wait for another 1 hour before the dentist came to see me. Then dentist only spent five minutes cleaning my teeth. That was it. They didn't even spend time cleaning my teeth. It was horrible. I have never been to a dentist office like this. I will never go back to Western Dental again.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I arrived to my first appt. early, for an examination of a broken molar and a teeth cleaning. After waiting 2 hrs I was finally called back. I was x-rayed and sent back to the waiting room. After an hr I was called again. The Doctor came in briefly, looked at my tooth and said she wanted a second opinion. The second opinion would be done by her coworker and another appt set. She began to leave and I asked about my teeth cleaning. Evedently there was not enough time they were getting ready to close. A new appt set with second opinion appt. That all took 5 hrs. I left that day with a half tooth and no cleaning. My second appt. I showed up on time yet waited 3 hrs. THREE HOURS!!! I was finally called in back.

A different doctor examined my broken tooth and told me she thought it could be saved. Again back to the waiting room. TWO HRS LONGER!!! I was called in back, sat down and prepared for what I thought would be a teeth cleaning. When the doctor came in she asked me what the doctor had recommended. I told her the doctor said my tooth could be saved with a crown. She said that she wasn't comfortable with that and that I would need to have an independent outside doctor give another opinion. WHAT!!! At this point I was upset, confused, hungry, tired. I just wanted my teeth cleaned so I could have what was left of the day. She began to walk away so I asked the young assistant about my cleaning. He ran off then they both returned.

She began to unwrap her instruments while telling me that there was no time left for a cleaning. She had me open my mouth and she scrapped maybe 4 teeth on the bottom, flossed the bottom and that was it. Now they are charging me 200. 00 for the cleaning. I filled out an official grievance report and was told I'd be contacted with a decision. I was never contacted by anyone but the billing dept with an outstanding balance I needed to pay for. I told them it was in dispute and that I hadn't been notified with a decision yet. He said that a decision was made. And of course it was in favor of the doctor. I asked who made the decision? He said that the doctor did. WHAT?!?!?

After this I have gone to a real dentist and they were kind enough to give me perfect pictures of my teeth which clearly show that my teeth need to be cleaned. Along with the photos I was given a diagnosis of what they recommended for my teeth which included 4 deep cleanings over the next year along with a crown for my broken tooth. So if you were able to make it through my review, I say you've been informed and if you go to Western Dental now. May the Tooth Fairy be with you.

Western Dental & Orthodontics Company Information