4.8/5 (65 ratings)
Call Center Open

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

GreenPath’s program was the most outstanding thing I have ever been through. It is super simple to set up and then just forget about it and let it run in the background. There's a website that keeps you informed of every single penny and wherever every single penny goes, you never have a question where a dollar is going and when something's not paid off. It is awesome. There was one rep who set it up but every time you call, anybody that you get is just as knowledgeable. The website is designed by somebody that's shockingly good at it because you hardly ever have questions. You can just watch what's happening. Over the years, I may have had to call three times with a question about terms, like one of the credit cards being paid off. You always get a thing that tells you to check and make sure it's 0 because if cents could be left, they can charge you late fees of cents.

You can run credit cards up and you're screwed forever without somebody on your side that can negotiate. But by working with GreenPath, most of them went to very low, like 1% and I finished the program in four and three months. It was a five-year program and I paid $600 every two weeks. I've recommended GreenPath. I know six people that went on the program because of me and they were just as shocked and amazed. Some people are just not able to handle it. You've got to stick with it. $1,200 a month is a lot of money but you know that if you do it, it will finally get paid off.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Everybody was wonderful, and they listened to the whole story. Greenpath helped me because it was only one payment. They saved the money and made all the payments. I've had to do change the date a couple of times over the five years that I spent with them, and as long as I called with enough time, they were kind and changed it. All the representatives assisted me in my own language, which is Spanish, and they were very pleasant. I called a couple of times out of the office time for questions. One time, I tried to call on a Saturday, but then I realized that they have certain times. When I was trying to not forget the question, I just left a message on the website, and they usually responded to me 24 hours later.

At the beginning, I didn’t feel like going with Greenpath was a good decision because my credit score went down very bad than it already was and my accounts were closed. But now, I feel that it was the best, because I didn’t have to pay all those charges, APRs and late fees. The day when I made the last payment, I noticed my score went down and I got worried, but last night, I noticed that the score went up 35 points. Now, I’m on good standing with my credit score.

Hola Karina,

Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para dar una revisión detallada. Sabemos que pagar una deuda no es fácil y puede haber algunos obstáculos en el camino. Nos complace saber que nuestro personal bilingüe pudo ayudarle y realizar los cambios necesarios en su cuenta.

Sé que otras personas pueden preguntarse si firmar con GreenPath puede causar inseguridad y cuestionar si es una buena idea. Con el objetivo de obtener concesiones de los acreedores, las cuentas son cerradas por los acreedores, lo que puede ser incómodo al principio. Cuando se cierran las cuentas de los acreedores o si una cuenta se retrasa 30 días durante la transición al DMP, el cliente puede ver un cambio en su puntaje de crédito. Hay muchos factores que contribuyen a la puntuación de crédito y puede cambiar de un día para otro. A bajo se encuentra un enlace con respecto a las puntuaciones de crédito que puede encontrar útil.

¡Felicitaciones y le deseamos todo lo mejor!

Sinceramente,

Hi Karina,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review. We know paying off debt is not easy and there may be some bumps along the way. We are happy to hear that our bilingual staff were able to assist you and make necessary changes on your account.

I know others may question if signing up with GreenPath may cause uncertainty and question if it was a good idea. In order to get concessions from creditors, the accounts are closed by the creditors, which can be uncomfortable at first. When creditor accounts are closed or if an account falls 30 days late while transitioning onto the DMP, a client may see a change in their credit score. There are many factors that play into a credit score and it can change from day to day. Below is a link regarding credit scores you may find helpful.

Congratulations and we wish you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: June 23, 2022

GreenPath was fabulous. The application process didn't take long, as long as you had your information. It was just giving them the account numbers and phone numbers for the contacts. And if I had a statement, I could upload it. So, it was very easy and their reps were so helpful. It wasn't like I was talking to someone and they pushed me off on someone else. If I had a question, they immediately answered it and if I wanted to make extra payments, they didn't give me any hassle. Then, if I had one little debt that was only $50, I would pay it out. Then, I would ask for my overall payment to be reduced since that was paid off and they gave me no issue about that.

They reduced my payments in half, if not more, than what I was normally paying by myself. They were taking that one payment from me and handling the disbursement. But when I was ready to pay everything off, they said that they could handle that. I had to wait another cycle and they made me aware of it. The only difficulty I had was that when I’ve made payments through GreenPath, I had to call each creditor to confirm that those payments have been made. But that was a simple process that showed where I made that lumpsum payment to GreenPath. And the credit bureau as well as the company that the mortgage company used reached out to all of my creditors and confirmed it.

Hi Brenna,

We love hearing we are fabulous and we will share that with our staff. We try to make the process as simple and painless as possible. You accomplished a lot during your time with us and we wish you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: May 23, 2022

The enrollment with GreenPath was easy and they took some information. They ran my credit report and they saw the debt I had. They gave me a representative to work with and they got me set up. They did mostly all of the legwork contacting the different companies and credit consumers. They were on top of it from that point. Customer service was patient and they want to make sure that whatever you need to get done, they do their job to make sure that your questions are being answered. I was really impressed during the COVID time. A lot of people, including myself, had tough times making those payments and they spoke on my behalf and reached out to my consumers in regards to pushing payments back, making sure it didn't affect my credit report, and worked with me when I was able to start making payments to get back caught up.

GreenPath was associated with my credit union and I didn't pay a monthly cost to GreenPath directly. I have just recently paid off all debt that I had under GreenPath. That really helped streamline the monthly bills that I had coming in. It was able to consolidate some of those bills down to where I can actually not spend everything monthly on just bills and to where I can still see that they're being paid off but not going into debt paying the bills off.

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review and touching on the support we provided during the pandemic. We know it was hard for many, we truly tried our best to determine options with creditors to support our clients in the best way possible.

Congratulations, you accomplished a lot during a very difficult time!

Linda Murphy

Original review: April 14, 2022

The program with GreenPath went well and I was able to finish it. It automatically came out of my check every pay period and every once in a while, I get an update or a call that they were changing something, or one account had closed out. The way they contact was nice and it was a good experience. When I started with them a few years ago, it was simple. They were able to take my mortgage credit report and then, they sent us all the forms that we needed to sign to give them clearance to pause the account or get whatever access they needed. There were a couple of times where I wished that as the accounts closed, maybe there was the option to keep the same timeline but reduce the amount being taken out each pay. But it made sense to keep it going and finish it out as soon as possible.

The most beneficial thing about doing this process is letting things get paid off and not having to keep track of all the different payments. We had a number of different accounts go into it so instead of having to check on each one and figure out when we were supposed to pay, what and how much, it was all done for us. I've recommended GreenPath to some friends who are in the same boat. Any fees that are charged are negligible compared to missed payment fees or the interest.

Hi Carlisle,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. We love knowing we made your goal of becoming debt free easier for you. You did all the hard work and we offered the support to keep things moving. Wishing you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

I was able to get connected with Greenpath through the Bank of America card that I was trying to get that balance down. Greenpath helped me with that, and I was able to get another credit line down as well. When Greenpath came out with a combined payment with an interest rate for both of the accounts, it really helped out a lot. I was able to get that thing caught up and brought down good enough to where now I can take care of the rest of it on my own. Their communication was great. When I got into the position to pay off the rest of the credit card on my own, they helped me get that last payment. They told me, “Okay. Well, we'll go ahead and cancel the payment that normally comes out every month.” That way, I don't incur another charge, and it worked out. They made that transition easy for me.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

GreenPath helped me out with the two credit cards that I had. I was in the program for a year and a half and everything was good. Their service was affordable and the payments were suitable for me to pay every month. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

It was a great experience with GreenPath overall and they were very easy to deal with. Everyone that I had dealt with was very nice, respectful, and very easy to talk to.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

GreenPath helped with a payment plan for the loan that I've taken out. They always told me when it would draft out. So, I always made sure that there was money in the account. I'm doing better financially.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I like the plan at GreenPath. They were charging 75 a month for their fees. Overall, it was gonna help me reach my goal, which was trying to get freed. They did all the heavy lifting. They reached out to all the creditors. They figured out what the APR was going to be for each one, tried to get them to negotiate down to what they thought was appropriate, and something that matched my budget. We were able to work something out and within four years, I was able to get out of all of that. They also have an app. They'll tell you all the past payments you've made on it and all the future payments that are coming up on it. When I would call them, the wait time was never more than a few minutes. They always answered and addressed everything I needed.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information