4.8(884)
Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit company offering credit counseling and debt management services. It helps consumers in all 50 states with free and paid offerings. The company isn’t affiliated with any bank and is a neutral third party working in your interest. GreenPath credit and debt counselors are certified by the National Foundation of Credit Counseling (NFCC) and help students, homeowners, homebuyers and consumers with credit card debt.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • NFCC-certified counselors
  • Free counseling services
  • Serves all 50 states
Cons
  • Many offices don’t provide in-person counseling
  • Fees for debt management and certain housing services

Stars Rating

• 87%
  • 10%
  • 0%
  • 0%
  • 2%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?
    StaffProcess

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2014

I would recommend GreenPath highly to anybody who's in debt. They're professional and courteous. They made my payments on time every month, so there were no problems at all, unlike some horror stories that I have heard about people giving the company their money and then it never went to their creditors. Everything went well. I made my payments, have completed the program and have gotten a lot smarter with my money after spending five years to work off a huge debt. If I don't have cash, I don't buy it.

Pinned

We are happy that you had a positive experience working with Greenpath Laurie! Thank you for sharing your thoughts story so others can see it.

Reviewed Oct. 30, 2014

The team from GreenPath was good. Everyone was very friendly and helpful when they could be. It's been good working with them. When I was doing the bi-weekly payment, it was hard but it wasn't unbearable -- difficult but not too difficult.

Pinned

Thank you for this review Tyresha! We know it can be a challenge to stick with the deposit schedule and get out of debt- the reward is so worth it. We're proud of you for making it through.

Customer ServiceStaffTransparency

Reviewed Oct. 29, 2014

I actually called the GreenPath number on one of my credit card statements. The team at GreenPath was great and very helpful. They walked me through everything - what to expect. Every time I had to call there, they were very professional and very polite, and very happy to help me. Working with them helped me set up a budget. They basically taught me how to live within my means and what things I need to pay first and then things I want to do afterwards. They were very professional. If I had to leave a message, they called me back. The longest I ever waited was a half hour, but that could have been somebody at lunch. I already gave a friend of mine the number to call.

Pinned

Susan, thank you so much for the positive comments and for referring your friend to GreenPath. We are happy to have been able to help you to meet your financial goals. Best of luck in the future!

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2014

Dealing with GreenPath has been a good experience. Initially, I had walked in and submitted all of the necessary documentation and from there on, from my first meeting, it wasn't really necessary to contact them at all because I made all necessary payments. I'm now debt free. I referred two more people. One of them completed the program and the other one is about to complete it in probably eight months. So even the people I referred were very happy as well.

Pinned

Dina, thank you for the positive review! We are glad we have been able to help you and the people you have referred to meet your financial goals.

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2014

My experience with GreenPath was excellent. They fulfilled everything that they said they were going to exactly how they said they were going to. I've already recommended them.

Pinned

This is great news! We're very pleased to hear things went well for you Larry. We appreciate the referrals. Keep 'em coming!

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2014

We originally had called another company at Washington State, not GreenPath. They sound legitimate but they turned out to be dishonest. They wanted us to pay like upwards of $10,000 to them before they even made any payment on any of our bills. They said don't pay any of the bills. We talked to a person but I realized that was not the way to go. So I went online and researched, GreenPath came up. I looked up the website, and read all the reviews, and it had a good rating since 1964 so I decided to call. I was able to set up the program, that was over 5 years ago. It's gone perfectly and worked out great. I'd tell anybody that need some help that GreenPath is the way to go. Everybody I dealt with and eventually have gains or losses, and people came and people went. But everybody that I talked to were all happy about GreenPath.

Pinned

Richard, we so appreciate you sharing your story. So often we hear of clients paying thousands of dollars to dishonest or unethical companies. Sometimes these are debt settlement companies who don't pay off the full balances that you owe. GreenPath is a consumer credit counseling company that offer debt management programs where the goal is to have each client pay off the full amount of debt they owe over a 5 year time frame or less. Good job doing your research up front! Thank you for including your review here so that other customers can benefit.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2014

Everything was fine with the team at GreenPath. They were able to lower my interest rates. They were always kind and courteous and I had no trouble with them at all. I'd recommend it.

Pinned

Thank you for the positive review Allen. Lowered interest rates can be a HUGE savings in the long run. We're also glad to hear that your interactions with our customer service team were positive. We'll be sure to pass along the good news.

Customer ServiceStaffProcessTransparency

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2014

I retired in 2009 after serving as an educator for 33 years. As a young woman, I always thought that when I retired, I would have more money saved than accumulated debt. However, when I retired, I found the opposite to be true. I found myself overwhelmed with an enormous amount of credit card debt. I struggled the first year of my retirement, juggling my credit card debt from month to month, trying to make payments on my pension salary. In the second year of my retirement (2010), I reached out to several debt management companies. After carefully exploring the companies, I discovered many had not lived up to their claim, and had not made the grade with the Better Business Bureau. Therefore, I went to Michigan First Credit Union for assistance.

After reviewing my credit report and considering my retirement status, Michigan First recommended a Green Path Debt Management Program for my particular case. That was the BEST referral I could have received! During my initial meeting with a Green Path representative, I was very comfortable. She was thorough, professional, polite, and made me feel at ease. Also, my questions were answered in a language that I could understand. In addition, Green Path had an excellent rating with the Better Business Bureau. The representative and I established a program that worked well for me. The bill collectors stopped calling and I was on my way to liquidating my debt. Green Path was transparent with how they dispersed the funds in my account each month. I received monthly statements covering all transactions. There were also check-ups along the way. I was at total peace!

The next four years of my retirement was smooth sailing. I was no longer under stress, and no longer harassed with telephone calls and letters from creditors and bill collectors. I reached my goal and completed my program in September 2014. In addition, I have learned how to budget my money, as a result of my experience with Green Path because I followed a budget. I was also able to travel extensively (mission work & pleasure), on my pension, as seen in my photos of multiple trips to Ghana & throughout the states. I am very satisfied with Green Path and I highly recommend them to others. I am a walking advertiser for Green Path. I would like to commend the Customer Service Team on a job well done! Thanks to Green Path, I can now experience a stress free retirement. (The way I thought retirement would always be, as a young woman.)

Pinned

Dyrene, Thank you so much for the positive review. We are happy we have been able to help you with your financial goals and to better enjoy your retirement!

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2014

I had a lot of questions throughout my experience with the DMP and Julee always replied to my emails/phone calls right away.

Pinned

Andrea, thank you for the positive review. We will make sure to pass on your feedback to Julee. Thank you for letting us help you with your financial goals!

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2014

A friend of mine at work told me about GreenPath. My experience dealing with them has been very delightful. It's never an easy thing to have to pay money that you have a hard time finding or difficulty acquiring but I receive a monthly Social Security check. I was able to deduct from that a certain amount every month and pay the bills. GreenPath was able to lower my interest rates and now that I've paid my bills and I have more money for myself. My interactions with the team had been very good and very positive. I recommend GreenPath. I know that I may be using them again in the future.

Pinned

Thank you so much for the positive review Steven! It's very rewarding for us to hear success stories like yours through reviews like this. Keep up the good work budgeting and staying out of debt!!

StaffProcess

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2014

The agents in the Corpus Christi office have always been very helpful; always willing to assist in any way. We recently completed our program and were very pleased with the service.

Pinned

Thank you very much for filling out a review here Preston! We will be sure to pass this positive information on to our Corpus Christi staff and the managers there. Best of luck to you moving forward debt free!

StaffTransparency

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2014

Ms. ** was absolutely excellent when helping me better understand my debt management account. She took the time connect to a creditor, who further helped explain the status of my account. She also sent e-mail to another creditor and requested explanations about my future options. Ms. ** was very patient and respectful. She went beyond my expectations.

Pinned

Diane this is great news! I've passed along this positive review to the representative you mentioned here. This made her day. We do so appreciate you taking the time to let us know that your experience with both her and GreenPath was a positive one. Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2014

I started with green path 2010 on a five year plan to eradicate over 20k credit card debt!!! Less than the time indicated and I am completely debt free!!!!!!! Green path has been AMAZING.

Pinned

Tonya, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2014

GreenPath taught me to pay for things with cash and to not rely on credit because all it really does is get you in trouble. Now we pay for everything with cash, except big items like a car I bought. Before, if I went to the grocery store, I would charge it. But now when I'm asked, "Oh, do you want us to charge you, open a charge account? We'll give you 20% off." The answer is no. I'm very grateful that Bank of America led me to GreenPath. I'm very thankful that they actually got my creditors to lower my interest rate and to agree to a payment plan. And that all worked out and we did it. Their team was excellent - from the people I've started with at the corporate office down to any of the people that I spoke to in the McKinney office. They're top of the line.

Pinned

Victoria, thank you so much for the kind words. We will pass on your feedback to the McKinney office! We are happy that we were able to help you become debt free!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

I really appreciated their kind and respectful attitude with any contacts I had with them. They were supportive and helped us out of a scary situation. I only wish I had found them sooner. Thanks.

Pinned

Linda, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

This company assisted with a 4-year plan that worked out great for me. I would highly recommend to others.. When I called with questions they were prompt and professional.

Pinned

Carmen, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

My Wife and I had pile up an amount of debt by not make very good decisions and we were seriously considering a bankruptcy when we heard about your service from Bank of America one of my creditors. We call Mr Jeffery ** at GP and he asked lots of questions about our income and bills. Then we sent our creditor statements to him and boom we were off and running. At first it seemed daunting when we looked at how much debt we had to face and pay in the next 5 years. We stuck to the plan and did not reduce the amounts we were contributing when we payed off a creditor and we were able to pay all of the debt off by a month shy of 4 years. Now we have better credit and more importantly we have become comfortable with budgeting and have the discipline to keep our credit and debt under control. Thanks for everything. You changed our life...

Pinned

Joel, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

I am so pleased with Greenpath. They were very professional and non judgmental when I first contacted them for help. 3 years later I am out of $21,000 debt. I could not have done that on my own since they negotiated with companies and got rates I wasn't able to get and got fees reduced or eliminated. Greenpath is a wonderful company and can be trusted. The pressure they took off my shoulders was incredible and I am grateful to Greenpath for their assistance. I am in a good place now and do not intend to go back to my old spending ways. They have counseling to help you learn to live within your means too. I can't praise them enough and I have recommended them to others.

Pinned

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review here Mary! We're happy to hear that your experience with GreenPath has been a positive one. $21,000 in 3 years is a HUGE accomplishment. We're very proud of the hard work you put in to make that happen. We are fortunate to have your review here so that other clients can learn how GreenPath can help to make a difference in their lives.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

I cannot understand why more people who are seriously under large credit card bills do not take advantage of this program. It was a lifesaver for me... allowing me to maintain a credit rating, rebuild my credit score, and successfully learn how to manage money and live within my budget. PAINLESS!!!!

Pinned

Sharon, we're so happy to hear that your experience with GreenPath was a positive one! We agree with you- getting the word out there about the value of a debt management program can be life changing. By you filling out this review, you are helping us to spread the good news. Thank you for taking the time to fill this out and leaving a review here. We appreciate it!

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2014

Greenpath has been a great help to me to get my credit cards under control. Everyone was so nice and professional and knowledgeable. Everything went smooth as clock work until last amt. I owed around $160.00. The regular amount of draft was taken out of $500 and I called and wanted to make sure my checking acct. would not be over drafted so I had to stop payment on draft and it cost me $31.00 in banking fees to do so and then I mailed you all the balance in a M.O. I feel very strongly Greenpath should reimburse me for this fee. If they do then I would recommend the company to anyone, if not i would not recommend them to anybody! Thanks again and it would be so sweet to find a check in my mailbox for $31 very soon!

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2014

I was with the company when it had the old name. The company was called 3-C before it was GreenPath. They were very good and you could call them if something has come up. Didn't have any problems at all. I always did that debt consolidation and I've now paid everything else and am a lot happier.

Pinned

Anthony, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2014

We had to have a wake up call sometimes and they worked with us very nicely. They were able to lower our interest rates and helped us budget the money we actually needed so we knew how much money we could pay towards our cards in the debt that we had. And as we were ending, they continued to ask if there was anything else that we needed them for. They're wonderful. I would refer anyone in the situation that we were in to GreenPath Debt Solutions because they helped us, I'm sure they'll help a lot of people.

Pinned

Sheila, thanks so much for the positive review! Great to hear we were able to help you out!

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014

Thanks to GreenPath Debt Solutions I can say I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I now know how to set a budget and stick with it. Thanks again GreenPath staff.

Price

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014

My wife and I finally hit the wall last year and decided we needed to do something to finally pay off our debt. We looked around and talked to friends and Greenpath was mentioned. We arranged for a meeting to size up the options. Matt helped us wade through the mire of debt to find relief. It has been a year now and we have had three Credit Cards paid off so far. We were also able to free up some other money to pay off two other debts also. We are on track now and in three years we are to be debt free. There is a fee for the service but if you add up the cost of the interest they are going to save you, it is minor in comparison. Thank you for the help.

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014

The best thing that has happen in my life was the day I contacted Accell - GreenPath. The largest debt out of all that we had was a $10,000 dollar debt for foundation work on our home and needless to say, I didn't think there was any way to pay that off before the year it was contracted for ended and all the interest started. With the support of GreenPath and the encouragement of the young lady that was helping me we did it! Then each debt was paid in full - and now I know I'll not be leaving any debts for my children to worry about when I'm gone and best of all, God willing, I have years to live debt free.

I have learned how to budget and plan for what I call my 3/6/12 months bills and have the money when they come due. The most amazing thing was the personnel that I spoke to any time I called. No matter what the issue, they helped me believe it could be done and proceeded to help me accomplish it until I could say I'M DEBT FREE!!!! Thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.

Reviewed Oct. 2, 2014

In December 2008, after 40 years in commercial real estate lending, with a loan limit of $100 million to one borrower for 9 years between 1981 and 1989 with a PA state chartered S&L, followed by a Sr. HUD underwriter's position with Reilly Mortgage and others, underwriting $135 million in HUD insured loans (now BoA Mortgage) in 16 months. (I had other interesting LO origination roles with private mortgage companies, REIT's and Wall Street Investment bankers.)

In late 2008 I, along with all originators, was terminated. When you go from a base of $81,000 + 40% of all fees, which were typically 40% to 50% of $200,000 to $400,000 to ZERO, things quickly go into a survival mode. Bank of America suggested GreenPath. Rosanna **, and subsequent crew have been and continue today to be beyond fabulous! My credit score had been 752 and I had ZERO LATES for 33 years. The calls came at 8:00 AM Saturday morning, and Sunday mornings, just any time you were trying to relax from job hunting. The bill collectors were just after money. They pretended to be sympathetic, but that was a front.

Anyway, Rosanna and her top notch crew got my interest rates lowered significantly with quite a few accounts. Not the principal balances. GreenPath deducts $1,700 a month from my wife and me, and will continue over a 5 year term, to pay off all of my credit cards. I pay all of my purchases with cash. I'm 73 and have all the stuff I need! I'm glad this happened to me! (The GreenPath Experience) Our relationship has significantly changed our lives and we feel paying all creditors is the proper thing to do!

Never did Rosanna, or her superbly courteous staff, talk down to us! The agreement we signed was understandable, logical and fair! We can stop anytime we want. We've paid down our credit cards around $44,000 in 24 months. Our sanity is back! I have opened no new credit cards in fairness to our present creditors. I tried to put up with the insulting and withering calls from "bill collectors", but it's impossible! Talk to Rosanna ** and her staff at (866) 864-2962. It will be the smartest business decision you have made in 25 years!

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2014

If it wasn't for Greenpath I would have lost my house and everything i owned.

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2014

I have a very good experienced with them. I recommend them to most of our friends who needs help on this matter and will continue recommending them without hesitation.

Verified purchase
    bonnie increased rating by 2 stars.
    Customer Service
    After a positive interaction with GreenPath Financial Wellness, bonnie increased their star rating on Oct. 9, 2014.

Updated review: Oct. 9, 2014

Started out confusing until someone from their quality dept called to explain the process completely and clearly after 4 different reps failed to do so, which caused a lot of stress from late fees and past due amounts. 5 months later, the problem was finally fixed. Hopefully it stays that way...

Original Review: Sept. 30, 2014

Every payment is late!!! I am in more debt now. They pay agreements partially. When I call them, they say "everything looks fine on our end". But how can that be when I just emailed you 34 statements stating overdue and late payments? BBB asap.

Hi Bonnie,

We do apologize for the misunderstandings during the start up or your program, and we thank you for the opportunity to continue to help meet your financial goals. We are glad that you are now happy with your debt management program. Please continue to reach out to us with any questions you may have.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband went to seek help with debt management. The counselor basically told us he was unable to give us a plan and referred us to a bankruptcy lawyer. After further investigating I was able to settle and make payment plans with the collectors myself. I highly recommend doing the work yourself and not going with this company. The counselor said the plans I already had arranged were much better than what he could've done for us.

Pinned

Hi Sam, I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience with us. Unfortunately, due to regulatory requirements, we are unable to offer a debt management plan to everyone. It's certainly true that people may be able to work out settlements with their creditors, especially on debt that is charged off or severely delinquent. But, just as debt management isn't for everyone, debt settlement isn't for everyone either. Settlements impact your credit more severely than a debt management program, and you typically must pay taxes on the forgiven amount. Even if they don't begin a debt management program, many people tell us that they find value in the free counseling, budget and action plan. Again, sorry you were disappointed with the outcome of your free session.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I called GreenPath for information about my options with an overdue credit card. The rep I spoke with told me that because I had already let the debt lapse into collections that one of my best options would be to negotiate with my creditor about paying off a lower balance. She told me that most companies would settle for as little as half of the total due. She was right; I settled my debt for 50% of what I owed and paid federal taxes on the remainder (which the GreenPath rep had warned me about). I just wanted to leave a positive review since I was pleased with the information I received; however, I will caution that I only called them for advice & cannot speak on their reliability when paying down debts through their agency.

Transparency

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2014

Besides the initial consultation, Green Path has done nothing for me, except make the original agreement with the credit card companies. I have had to do all the legwork to make sure that things were being paid correctly. Absolutely no updates throughout 5 year program. At the end payments were changed without my knowledge or consent. My debt had been such a burden for the last 5 years that it was disheartening that the debt counselor seemed so aloof with the details of my account. Would not recommend to someone that isn't willing to double check and monitor their own progress.

Pinned

Hi Tara, We apologize that you were not fully satisfied with your experience while on a Debt Management Program. While GreenPath does strive to be the best in the industry in customer service there is always room for improvement. As a licensed Credit Counseling agency we are closely monitored and regulated regarding how we manage the Debt Management Programs clients start with us. Our own personal standards for client contact and communication exceed the minimum amounts that we are expected to complete with clients each year. Again, we apologize if you feel we did not meet your expectations.

No response received
    Profile pic of the author.
    Mona increased rating by 1 star.
    After a positive interaction with GreenPath Financial Wellness, Mona increased their star rating on Aug. 7, 2014.

Updated review: Aug. 7, 2014

This fee needs to be disclosed in the first 5 minutes of the consultation. Clients are struggling with their finances to begin with, so why not wave the fee and just charge the monthly maintenance fee, this will attract more people. The company will show good faith.

Original Review: Dec. 2, 2013

This company took about an hour to tell me how they are going to help me. They will get all these companies to lower their interest rate and etc... Once I looked at the paperwork on-line, there were many hidden fees and costs not mentioned. Beware of the fine writing before signing with a credit debt management service co.

Pinned

Hello Mona, I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. We know your time is valuable, but the free session does take about an hour. Clients who begin a debt management program do pay a one-time fee that is $50 or less, as well as a nominal monthly fee. Sorry that wasn't clearly communicated to you.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2013

First of all, there was no good solution - their solution was to cancel my credit cards for a payment that was only barely lower than what I am already paying -- but the BAD part is NOW I AM GETTING CALLS AND LETTERS FROM OTHER DEBT CONSOLIDATION CO'S. I know that GreenPath gave my info (sold my info) because they are the ONLY people I spoke to about my personal info. I spoke to no one else regarding anything to do with consolidating my debts - no one! They promised confidentiality. THEY LIED.

Pinned

Hello Lee, please know that GreenPath does not share client information with any organizations or individuals. Never under any circumstances would we provide your information to anyone else. All of our counseling is free. Unfortunately, we are not able to help everyone. Clients who begin a debt management program usually benefit from lower interest rates, waived late fees, waived over limit fees and a stop to collection activities. Sometimes the monthly payment is not much lower. However, the total amount you pay is typically much less. Due to lower interest rates, more of your payment is paying down your principal balance. As a condition of granting these concessions, creditors usually require cardholders to close all credit cards except one. We wish you the best of luck!

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2013

We joined GreenPath in August of 2011. They took our monthly payments on time and monthly without fail. The issue lies in both my credit file and my husband's. Be sure you watch your credit files closely because you may just find that all of your accounts are reported late, even some sent to collections and some charged off!! All I can say is they sure failed us both!

Pinned

Hi Paula, I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your experience while on a Debt Management Program. GreenPath cannot control if a creditor moves a debt to charged off status, or determine what a creditor does or does not submit to the credit bureaus. The debt in question was charged off while on a Debt Management Program because it was not up to date and had a past due balance. GreenPath did help dispute this decision by doing a conference call to the creditor with you. Based on the outcome of this call the creditor stated they would remove the charge off status. Again, we apologize hope that this resolution was realized.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I signed up with GreenPath in May 2013. What happened is they lost my down payment. They want me to continue paying my monthly fee until further notice. I do not think so. Even my fiance is having problems with them.

Pinned

Hi Mary, We are sorry that circumstances prevented you from being able to start a Debt Management Program with us. Greenpath did not receive the money order that was mailed. However, we did help contact Western Union to determine that it had not been cashed. After this you decided not to pursue a Debt Management Program with us. It is true that we did receive a signed agreement to start a Debt Management Program, however no fees were ever charged because we never received funds to start the program. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

Report this company to the Better Business Bureau. They currently have only one complaint, and that was today from me. I told the counselor this was what I was going to do as soon as I got off the phone. No sooner had I filed the complaint, then I received a call from GreenPath offering to refund the money. Right, as soon as cooler heads prevailed -- why not pay the small amount of money to avoid the beginning of complaints at the BBB.

After withdrawing money from my checking account, I received a call from GreenPath telling me they did not have my credit card numbers, and would return the current month's fee back to my bank account. I later asked for repayment of the previous months -- which they paid; however when I called them to request the return of service fees, they refused. I have since found out that companies do not and cannot pay anything as a third-payer without these credit card numbers -- which is what they must have during the counseling session.

Pinned

Hi Vincent, I am sorry that things did not work out to your satisfaction when you started your Debt Management Program(DMP) with us. It is true that we must have complete account numbers to make payments to any debts on a DMP. This ensures the money we send to creditors on a client's behalf does in fact get credited to the correct debt. In this case we were never able to obtain your complete account numbers and ultimately refunded all of your funds and all fees charged prior to closing your program on your request. Again, we apologize for any misunderstandings that may have occurred.

Reviewed Feb. 20, 2012

They offered me 3 months trial for modification. I paid on time, and now I received a check with my money back. They did not respect the agreement. I have proof of the letter they sent me for the trial. I have the cashier's check when I paid the monthly payment.

Pinned

Hello Yessenia, I'm sorry to hear about your loan modification. Please understand that GreenPath can only provide you with the housing counseling connected with the loan modification. Your mortgage servicer is the one that makes the decisions regarding your loan modification and those payments. We hope everything works out for you. We're here for you if you have any questions about the loan modification process or what other options you may have.

Reviewed Feb. 10, 2012

I was referred to Green Path from the Get Hope Hardest Hit Indiana organization and after jumping through all their hoops, I never heard a word from them and never received any help including encouragement. These people are a complete farce and will only get your hopes up. When I contacted the Get Hope organization, they told me Green Path was not part of their program. Do not waste you time or expectations with these people, as you will only get deeper in trouble. Luckily, I belonged to a credit union who were willing to help me keep my house. Do not use these people!

Pinned
    Hi Ted, I am sorry to hear that you experience did not meet your expectations. We do partner with 995-Hope to provide housing counseling to people. 995-Hope refers clients to us to complete a full evaluation of their situation and to discuss possible options. As a counseling organization we do not have any control over what options a mortgage servicer will offer or approve for a client. Our role is to provide education and counseling regarding options and programs that may be available for a client.

Although you may not have received our message, we did attempt to reach out to you again after the original session you completed with us. Again, we apologize for any misunderstand or miscommunication that may have occurred.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

Forms need to be more customer specific, and there shouldn't be a time required per module. When completed, it should allow you to move to the next module. I spent 10 minutes on every module, sitting around, waiting for the next part of their required test.

Pinned

Hi Charlene, sorry to hear you were frustrated with our bankruptcy pre-discharge education course. The Executive Office of the U.S. Trustee, in Washington, DC, sets the time requirements for all approved bankruptcy courses that must be adhered to by all approved providers. We hope all went well with your bankruptcy case.

Reviewed Oct. 28, 2010

We had recently come to an agreement with Golden Dude (CCCS) who merged with Green Path Debt Solutions recently. Our experience with CCCS was kind of shaky at first but we were able to hammer out most of the kinks. We had to sign a contract not once but twice. About a month after starting with them, we were advised verbally that they were merging with another company whose name was never mentioned.

Our first month with them has currently not set my expectations very high. The acquiring company Green Path Debt Solutions will not accept any accountability regarding the contractual obligations we had agreed to with CCCS. My wife had called two weeks in advance to confirm that our payments would be going out as stated within our contractual agreement with CCCS. The representative had advised my wife that "yes" everything was slated as a "GO" for the payment due date. She even went as far as to state not to worry and that the new system with Green Path was better and faster than what CCCS had to offer.

Low and behold, two weeks after that conversation our payments had never been sent to the creditors. My wife got on the phone to Green Path and asked why our payments had not been submitted. They stated that they did not know why and that there was possibly an issue with their "faster" system. The call got escalated nonetheless.

The thing that upset us the most was that they attempted to put the onus back onto us and that our payment due date to them might be changed in order to get the payments to the creditors on time. We advised the representative that we should not have to make any more adjustments since we had already agreed to the dates that the payment(s) would need to get to them in order for the payments to post on time. My wife refused at this point and asked to speak with a manager and that we wanted to file a grievance. She had also made the request to the representative that we would want letters sent to the creditors that Green Path would be the reason our payments would post almost a week late. The representative stated that the manager would have to deal with this.

Well Green Path's manager was pretty prompt in returning our call and request for grievance. She called us the very next morning. Again, the company did not want to take any accountability for the situation and then again recommended to change the payment due day. My wife had asked the manager why the representative had advised that our payment was received and everything was a GO to remit to the creditors.

The manager's response to this was possibly lack of training on the new system. We asked why they would say that if they were not sure. The manager stated that she could not answer that. Again, this just goes to show how unaccountable this company is. I asked the manager about the contract we had signed. She said of course with the merger they were going to have unexpected system issues. I had made mention that we were never formally aware that the merger had taken place. She stated to us that a notice with expectations was sent out three weeks ago to all their newly acquired clients from CCCS. We never received this information.

Basically my wife and I have jumped through their hoops. We rang their bells and whistled their whistles for both companies. Green Path Debt solutions are expecting their newly acquired clients to comply with their guidelines that were never set forth with the newly acquired client to begin with let alone are not accepting any responsibility for the shortcomings of their botched merger. I wanted to post this to advise any possible future North Texas clients what you are getting yourself into. A very unprofessional experience with a company that is unwilling to accept any responsibility for the shortcomings of their botched merger.

Pinned

Hi Peter, I am sorry to hear that your experience during the merger did not go satisfactorily. While we do work toward making the transition as smooth as possible, issues can arise as employees from the old agency are acclimated to the processes and computer systems at the new agency. Issues can also arise based on the status of accounts and information that is handed over from the previous agency. GreenPath does try to limit errors as much as possible, but from time to time a human error can occur. If this was the case and we did not take responsibility I apologize. I wanted to research your concerns further, but I was unable to locate your file in our system using your name, or with any of your other contact information. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

On 7/15, I contacted Chase bank regarding my credit card. I wanted to know why the minimum payment was so high. The balance is $4620 and payment was $231.00, which is 5%. They said that there was nothing they could do for me, but would link me to GreenPath. I talked to a rep, she emailed me forms and I filled them out. When I decided not to go with the company, I thought everything was back to normal. Today 7/28, I got my mail. 2 letters from Chase Bank stating that their decision after reviewing my accounts, that one CC I have had for 15+ years for credit line of $27,000 has been closed and a CC with credit line of $7000 has been reduced to $5800. I feel that if I never talked to GreenPath, this would never have happened. How could Chase receive this info if it was not for GreenPath?

Pinned

Hello Linnea, please know that GreenPath will never share a client's information with their creditors without their permission. I guarantee that GreenPath did not share any information with Chase about you or the outcome of your counseling session. We don't know the specifics about Chase's actions in your situation, but most creditors were aggressively closing credit lines and reducing credit limits during the financial crisis. We hope your financial situation is a positive one today!

Reviewed April 29, 2009

Called a credit card company to contest a rate increase to over 29%. Their rep. transferred my call directly to their "non-profit counseling agency, 'GreenPath'". A man got on the line with me and dove right in to all my personal finance info and for over 1 hr. led me to believe he was going to help me figure out how to handle the credit card debt debacle I originally called about. Long story shortened: He wound up describing to me how hopeless my situation was and how the bank involved won't even talk about negotiating and then asked if I would like to hear about bankruptcy! We were on the speakerphone when the "couselor" started talking about our parenting skills when my wife started screaming at the guy and I had to cut the conversation short.
    Pinned

Hi Ben, sorry to hear you didn't have a positive experience with us. We try to help every person that calls us. We can provide advice to everyone, but the reality is that sometimes we are unable to offer tangible solutions. We help callers explore all of their options, including bankruptcy, so they can make an informed decision about how to move forward. However, our advisors should never make you feel like your situation is hopeless. And you should never feel like you're being lectured. Please accept our apologies.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information