2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.79/5

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: July 6, 2020

I had accumulated a ridiculous amount of consumer debt. I began "retail therapy" following my father's passing and continued to abuse credit cards for years after. I had gotten to a concerning amount (I had trouble sleeping at night) and decided I had to do something about it. I was referred to GreenPath by a friend and it was the best decision for me. The counselors were extremely helpful, courteous, and non-judgmental. They helped me develop a payment plan that worked with my current lifestyle. Though I was paying bills, I was able to do some comfortably. I also learned a few new tricks in budgeting. The envelope method is my favorite and is working well.

Thankfully, I was able to not only manage my payments, but pay off my debt before my originally intended payoff date. I was embarrassed by having to use a debt management program, but honestly, carrying the debt was much more embarrassing. It was also encouraging to know that I was not the only person having to climb their way out of a financial mess. If anyone is in debt, need help, guidance, support, or to learn about options available after losing income PLEASE consider GreenPath. I have nothing but good things to say about this program. Without it, I don't know where I would be right now--likely still trying to chip away at debt on all my high interest credit cards.

Dear Erica,

Grief can really muddle the way we think, can't it? Retail therapy is hardly uncommon - you are not alone in your use of that coping mechanism. I am happy that you found our counselor to be non-judgmental because truly - who among us hasn't made a bad financial decision before. We are here to help and I am so very glad we were able to help you.

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: July 4, 2020

I am beyond pleased with the program I entered. GreenPath was always just a phone call away if I had any questions or issues. Everyone I ever spoke with my friendly, helpful, and professional. I also really liked how they created the online portal to make tracking your progress easier. I also enjoyed joining the Facebook group to interact with other clients and share feedback, tips, and help each other along the way. Definitely recommend!

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for your review, we truly appreciate it. We love that you made good use of our Facebook group. We hope it is a good place for clients to interact and get feedback and help when needed.

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: July 2, 2020

I have a credit card through Amazon and the payments and interest were getting too high. One of their phone people told me about GreenPath and I called them. Enrolling was pretty easy. I gave their reps my information and we discussed how much I could afford to pay a month, and then based on that plan, we determined how long it would take for the debt to go away. They are well-organized which was encouraging for me. Some close friends I confided in were very suspicious of what GreenPath's actual intention was when they heard I was using a debt consolidation company. GreenPath was transparent about everything. They told me their charges and how much everything would cost. I completed their program and now I'm debt-free.

Dear Cynthia,

Well, we are very grateful to the Amazon customer service rep who directed you to us. It was a privilege to serve you as our client. It is completely understandable that you would give the side-eye to debt consolidation/management and you are right - we have nothing to hide! We encourage our clients to do their research on us. We are glad you did and glad you found us to be transparent. Thank you for letting us help you on your journey to financial freedom!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: July 1, 2020

I am very happy that GreenPath assisted me with my credit problems. GreenPath was very courteous and knowledgeable towards my concern. GreenPath even gave me advice when I needed it in reference to major financial situations that worked out in my favor after I completed the Debt Management Program. I was able to purchase a new vehicle and I was able to secure a credit card and I am now able to manage my finances responsibly. I would like to thank GreenPath.

Dear Charles,

It is always wonderful to hear when clients walk away from GreenPath feeling that there has been a long-term change to how they manage money. We are so happy for you!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: June 30, 2020

This company was the best! Partnered with them 5 years ago to help get out of credit card debt. They helped make deals with all my creditors and made it painless throughout. Just made one monthly payment to them and they would pay each creditor. Anytime I had any questions or needed help making a financial decision, their team was always there and the customer service was top notch. Thank you Greenpath!!!

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your kind words and the opportunity to have served you as our client. Ease of service and EXCELLENCE of service is our goal!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: June 27, 2020

GreenPath is simple and easy to use, so I'd recommend them. They were recommended by Wescom, my credit union and when I signed up online, it was easy. I first used them six years ago and there were no questions. It was fast. They told me the payments I made that were set, if I made them, how long it would take to pay it off. If I paid more, then that would speed it up. I had an idea of how long it would all take and I didn't have questions and concerns along the way. I only called them twice and they were friendly and helpful. I got what I needed, so no problems.

Dear Camille,

We are so glad to hear that you found the process to be easy. That is certainly the experience we like to give our clients! Wishing you the best.

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: June 10, 2020

We had a housing debacle and were trying to get our finances under control. We were looking for some way to set up a budget and to get debt-free. GreenPath Financial Wellness has been excellent in helping us do that over the years. The enrollment process was great. At the time, I lived in Chicago. I took all of my information down to the main office and I met with the counselor. The counselor walked me through how much it would cost and how they would contact our debtors.

They got everything set up for us and they were able to set things up where they would just take the money out of our account each month to pay our creditors, which worked out really well for us. I was a teacher and I got paid bi-weekly. They would take the money out toward the end of the month. They were excellent. Each time I called, all of the representatives were able to help me. We’re able to go to the portal that they set up for us and check to see how we were progressing. They also covered us with emails. They did an excellent, excellent job and I've referred them to several family members as well.

Hello Charles,

I am very happy to hear that everything went smoothly for you! It is our goal to make managing debt as easy as possible for our clients. Thank you so much for your feedback, we truly appreciate it.

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: June 8, 2020

Adding bills was a nightmare.... Every time it needed multiple phone calls, and when we thought they were added, sometimes they still were not. Otherwise, everything went well. We will still recommend you, thanks for all your help.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We agree that adding debts can create unwanted challenges. The state of which you reside in has a specific process that must be followed. I determined we followed the process as required. We will be sure to share your feedback as we understand the frustration. We are here for you!

Congratulations on completing your program. Best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: May 15, 2020

The process was helpful. I needed it and it came in a good time. I was in a bad situation. I had to go with what GreenPath had and it worked out. If only the payments could’ve been a little smaller, but I really appreciated it. It helped me out and it was fine. I bank with Educators Credit Union and it was something they offered. I’m paid off, so it was good.

Hi Constance,

Please thank Educators Credit Union for referring you to us! We are sorry to hear you were really in a difficult situation when you called us. We agree the monthly payments needed to repay debt can be more than what a client may prefer. You found a way to make it work and you did it! Congratulations and best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: May 9, 2020

Everything went great with GreenPath. Their reps were really good and the payment plan was great. It was what I needed. When it got to January and I was within a good range of getting paid off really quickly, I decided to concentrate on that and finished paying it off. Then the country goes kaput, so I'm glad I've paid it off. It feels terrific.

Hi Donna,

Wonderful, we are excited to hear it went great and you enjoyed speaking with our staff. We are glad to hear you are out of debt. You did the hard work, congratulations!

Compliance Department

Original review: May 5, 2020

We were in a world of hurt with our debt but Green Path helped us get it straightened around saved us a lot of money and took out a lot of worries. We appreciate their friendliness efficiency and how quickly it really helped us get out of debt.

Hi Kayleen,

Friendly and efficient, that is what we love to read! Without each other, customer service would not be a positive experience. We are glad to hear you are out of debt. You did the hard work, congratulations!

Compliance Department

Original review: May 2, 2020

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and the United Way has a central clearing house we called 2-1-1. I talked to a lady there. I needed some help with financial problems I was having and she referred me to GreenPath. They were very professional and right on target. They listened very carefully. I was with them for almost four years and I have only positive interaction with them on phone and online. I finished the program about a month ago. I had some extra money so I paid off the $390 on the final payment. I called them and told them that my account was done, and they closed it. They did everything just right. I thanked them over the years every time I called or when I had an interaction with them. I will always thank them for helping me get back on track.

Hi Donald,

We are so glad you called us. Often times we feel alone and not sure where to turn and we are grateful United Way referred you to us! We appreciate you thanking our staff for their help. They are passionate about helping others and words of kindness and appreciation go a long way!

Original review: May 1, 2020

Greenpath helped me get my credit cards paid off. They worked with the creditors on amount that I was able to pay them every 2 weeks. If you were not able to pay I would call them and explain my situation and they helped me with a plan.

Hi Stephanie,

Congratulations and thank you for your review. We know paying off debt is not easy and you did it! Congratulations and best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I found that Greenpath staff were very helpful and supportive. Financial matters are so personal and I never felt judged. I was able to get my finances back on track and move forward. What a relief! Thanks again greenpath!

Hi Gina,

Thank you for your review. You are right, financial matters are very personal and easily criticized by those around us. I am glad to read you felt the staff were supportive and helpful! We know paying off debt is not easy and you did it! Congratulations!

Original review: May 1, 2020

GreenPath got me out of 5 figure debt in less than 5 years without having to give up everything nonessential. It made me feel better about myself as a responsible adult and everyone I talked to only supported and cheered me on. I recommend Greenpath to anyone struggling with debt. Anyone. Everyone.

Hi Sheetom,

You did it! Paying off debt is not easy and I am glad to hear that you received support from those around you. We are grateful that you will refer others to us. We are here to support others in setting and reaching financial goals. Thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

Thank you for all your help. Your system worked great. The whole process went smoothly. All the staff answered my questions. Great service. I would highly recommend your company to friends and coworkers. It was so nice to have everything go as smoothly as it did. Topnotch company. Thank you so much for all your work.

Hi Timothy,

I am glad to hear the system and process went well for you. You did all the hard work of budgeting and prioritizing your program! Thank you for considering referring friends and coworkers. Thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I have paid off all my debt thanks to GreenPath! I honestly didn’t think I could do it but you guys talked me through it on the days I had doubt. Thank you for being so thoughtful and respectful each time I called and had concerns! The advice and help I got while on the program means the world to me, especially now with the pandemic of the Corona Virus. I’m out of work but I’m not overwhelmed with credit cards and other debt. It’s made this time of being off less stressful!. Thank you Greenpath!

Hi Eunice,

Congratulations! You didn’t think you could do it and you did! I will share with the staff how you felt upon calling in and speaking to an employee. Thank you for sharing your experience. Best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

We were very pleased with working with GreenPath. If we ever had any issues or questions, I would chat with someone online and they were always very helpful. We are now all paid off and it's a wonderful feeling! Thank you for helping us achieve that goal!

Hi Mellissa,

Thank you for your review. We love hearing our chat support staff were helpful and answered any questions you had. Paying off credit card debt is not an easy accomplishment. Congratulations and best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I was extremely pleased with my experience with GreenPath. Their site kept me up to date on all transactions. Their customer service was very helpful and friendly. No problems with my creditors either. Payments were always made on time. I would recommend GreenPath to my family and friends.

Hi Dencie,

Thank you for your review. We love hearing our portal and staff provided the support you needed. We will continue to improve our portal as well! Thank you for considering referring your friends and family to GreenPath in the future. Congratulations and best wishes to you!

Original review: May 1, 2020

We were clients of Green Path for 37 months. We recently were fortunate enough to pay off $43,000 in credit card debt. They were behind us every step of the way. Communication was wonderful, no problems. A couple times that we needed to skip a payment, they were understanding and helpful. I would recommend them to anyone that wants to get back on track. It's tough, it really is. But learning to say no to yourself is a learning curve that is rewarded in the end..

Hi Cindy,

Congratulations! Paying of $43,000 in 37 months is not an easy task! You are right, often times adjusting our spending habits is incredibly hard. I am happy to read that you felt our communication was worked well and our staff were understanding and helpful. We wish you all the best!

Original review: May 1, 2020

I could never have gotten out of debt without Greenpath. The DMP was a fantastic tool and setting it up was easy with their help. I can’t recommend them enough. Removing the stress of negotiating with my creditors meant I could focus on how to get successfully through the five years and not only did I do it, I finished six months early.

Hi Meggie,

Congratulations! Finishing six months early is an amazing accomplishment. We are happy to read that you felt reduced stress that you didn’t have to negotiate with the creditors. Once creditors accept the payment plans, the program works really well. Best wishes to you Meggie!

Compliance Department

Original review: April 27, 2020

I was thinking about filing bankruptcy five years ago and someone let me know about GreenPath, so I gave them a call. I liked what they said and went with it. I had almost 20,000 in debt at 24% interest on credit cards and they got it dropped down to 4% or 5% and half the payments, 800 down to 400. I only talked to them when I got it set up until I paid it off recently. I paid off the last 2,000 about a month ago. I feel better and I'm much happier paying off my debt instead of just filing bankruptcy.

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. Please thank the person who referred you to us as well! High interest rates can make it feel like debt will never get paid off, but with lower rates you accomplished an amazing goal! Congratulations to you, did it!

Original review: April 12, 2020

Love the service and the result! Hoping I won't have to do debt management again but if I do, I know where I'll be going! I will definitely be recommending this service to anyone who may find themselves in the shoes I've been in.

Hi Bernadette,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. Thank you for referring others to us! So many consumers feel alone and not sure where to turn. Congratulations and best wishes to you.

Original review: April 12, 2020

I’m truly blessed to worked with Green Path financial services. Without them, I wouldn’t have paid my debt as soon as I did! They guide me through it give me advice to accomplish this. I’m truly happy with GreenPath. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Angelica,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We are excited to have partnered with you lower your interest rate on your credit cards. You did all the hard work! Congratulations and best wishes to you.

Compliance Department

Original review: April 11, 2020

The ultimate reason to get into this program was we had so many different types of bills we were paying out and my wife was frustrated. I gotta make a payment here and pay it there. It was a huge undertaking for us. My brother has been using GreenPath for years and so he suggested it and that’s what turned us on to it. We started using them and we used them for quite a few years because we were adding more medical bills to the program. Then we finally got it all paid off to where we don’t have anything. They were fantastic. I could send an email or I could call them and anybody I talked to had access to our account. They were always willing to help and do whatever we needed them to do. They were excellent to work with and we loved the program. We just finished it last month. We're relieved quite a bit. It frees up a lot of cash flow in our checking account.

Hi Brett,

Wow, thank you for your review and to your brother for referring you to us! So may clients can relate to the stress and frustration you and your wife felt. We are excited to hear our staff were always willing to help and you had such a positive experience. Congratulations on paying off your debt – that is a huge accomplishment! Best wishes to you.

Original review: April 4, 2020

No direction on how to rebuild credit or the actual impact that doing this service has in the big scheme of your credit. That is all I have to say. Thank you and good luck to any one who goes this route.

Hello Cathrine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am so sad to hear you felt there was no direction of how to rebuild credit and how a debt management program may affect credit.

Your credit report submitted to us September 2018 indicates some accounts fell past due when transitioning onto the debt management program. Our notes on March 27, 2017 indicate you wanted to say current on your accounts, however, you didn’t think it was feasible and we discussed late fees and impact to credit. We also encourage clients to pay the difference between our payment and the normal creditor payment until notification is received from the creditor they have accepted the plan and have changed your monthly payment. It is always a creditors discretion regarding enrolling in a program. By paying the difference, it avoids negative credit impact of late payments. We understand clients may not be able to do this and we are sorry there was confusion during that discussion they would fall past due if the difference was not paid. I would be happy to connect with you to review your concerns in more detail. If you would like to, please call and ask for a GreenPath Resolution Specialist.

Congratulations on successfully paying off your debt management program. You have accomplished a wonderful goal and we wish you the best.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I’m so grateful that I found GreenPath. I was at a point in my life where I was over my head in debt. I contacted them, they took over and now my accounts are paid and closed. My credit rating rating is high. Thank you so much.

Hi Ellen,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review. You are not alone in feeling that the stress of debt can make us feel like we are in over our heads! We are excited to hear you had a favorable credit rating at the conclusion of your program. Congratulations on paying off your debt – that is a huge accomplishment! Best wishes to you.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Highly recommend GP to anyone that would like to get out of debt. Every person I was in contact with was above and beyond helpful and made me feel there was a solution. So glad I chose GP. GP was recommended to me from a close friend and they had nothing but great things to say about GP.

Hi Carla,

Thank you for taking time to provide a review and to your close friend for referring you to us! We love hearing our staff were helpful and went above and beyond. Congratulations on paying off your debt – that is a huge accomplishment! Best wishes to you.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I’m very happy now that the overload of debt is gone! I only wish they kept me more inform on the status update of things. Other than that I’m satisfied. Knowing when a bill is paid in full would of made things a lot more reassuring in knowing the status of finishing each debt.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We agree there was room for improvement to provide better/more status updates. In April 2020 we released new features in our GreenPath portal and we have already received great feedback on the new features. We will continue to enhance our portal in the future as well. Congratulations on paying off your debt – that is a huge accomplishment! Best wishes to you.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I have never been so pleased with a company in my life. GreenPath was recommended by a friend and they were so above and beyond wonderful. I was never judged for the financial mess I made for myself, just helped time and time again. Every communication I had with them left me with a smile. I've never heard of a company who took a gradually DECREASING fee over time. There was no pre-payment penalty. GreenPath helped me pay off my debts and took the actions I was struggling to do for myself (closing accounts, lowering interest rates). My credit was not as poorly affected since I did not make a settlement on the amount owed, just paid decreased interest rates. Everything was smooth, manageable, and just absolutely outstanding. I will recommend GreenPath to everyone and their mom for ALL TIME! Thank you so, so much!!!

Dear Andrea,

Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of GreenPath and for referring others to us. We are happy that you felt you were greeted without judgement and the staff left you with a smile after talking with us! You did all the hard work and we are excited to have partnered with you! Congratulations to you and best wishes!

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information