2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.75/5

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

BOTTOM LINE

GreenPath is a financial wellness nonprofit that offers personalized financial health support. Some of its services might be pricey, but most come free of charge and are 100% confidential.

PROS

• Personalized services
  • Nonprofit approach
  • Free counseling

CONS

• Limited proof of services

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me endure in paying off debt, stay hopeful during the process, and remember that I could eventually be debt-free… Thank you!

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... No B.S. will these guys/gals! Best in the biz and highly recommend them if you want to get out of debt!

GreenPath Financial Wellness Call Now Toll Free (844) 211-1189
Call Now Toll Free

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

When I started with the program, there was some confusion was relating to interest rates that might be gotten because I had balances on a number of credit cards. But also, for example, with three American Express cards, which two am I giving up. But once that was cleared up, which didn't take long, the experience was just fine. They still worked for some time with the staff in Philadelphia, who were always very responsive when I called. And once COVID hit and the calls are being taken out in the Upper Midwest, there was still good responsiveness in communication.

I dealt with two individuals in particular in the Philadelphia group and things were going so well that I really didn't have much occasion to check in for over a year. Then the COVID hit and after that, it seemed to be whoever got the call. But everyone was very knowledgeable and punctual. I don't know if that would've been true if I had missed payments but we had established a baseline that I could meet and there was never any problem with my payments. So it all went very smoothly. Some folks met their obligations to me, which enabled me to pay off the whole debt a month or so ago.

I have talked to groups that promise low interest rates and to two individuals who independently have negotiated to get some of the debt eliminated. But that was not my aim. We were at 12% when we negotiated the payments. I wasn't asking for any reduction in the principal. I was just wanting to schedule out the monthly payments at a rate that I was comfortable with and I had hoped that we would be able to negotiate a little lower interest rate.

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for us! The beginning is often the most difficult time of the program. This is especially true if there are creditors with policies related to other debts. I apologize for any frustration that occurred at that time. I am glad to hear it all worked out to your satisfaction. As you mentioned, GreenPath does not attempt to reduce the principal balance. We help clients pay the debt in full and contact creditors for concessions such as lower interest rates.

We were excited that we deployed our call center to work remotely very quickly. This allowed us to continue servicing our clients and keep our employees safe.

Congratulations to you!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

It's been wonderful with GreenPath. Once I talked to them, it was no gimmick. It was like, “This is how it is.” I liked how easy they were to work with. They allowed us to pick if there was a card or two that we wanted to keep. That was a huge decision maker also. The enrollment process was good. The most painful part was when they asked all the questions about my income and outgoings but it was necessary. It helped set up the program that was really tailor made to us. I couldn't pay $10 a month and get out of it, but it was doable. Since 2017, we've never missed a payment. It hasn't always been easy, but because I believed in the program, I made sure that the payment was there.

Their service was good. It was easier once I learned and put in the effort myself to learn the website. The documents were right there. The upgrade they did a little bit ago was also there. What I really liked about it too was if I had extra money up to $500, I could verbally ask them to pull that out and put it on a certain card. I did that on multiple times and realizing if it was over 500 that I would have to send an email. The flexibility in the program was really big for me also.

For some companies, you call and talk to one representative and they tell you something. Then you call again and another one tells you something else. It wasn't like that with GreenPath when I would call in, no matter who I got, to do a transaction or ask a question. Something else that I really liked, especially towards the end was when I was trying trying to pay everything off quicker. They reached out to that card company. Even though I would do it online, they would call them right there and get that balance. That was really nice and helpful.

I’m debt free now and I feel really good. GreenPath really enabled me to even learn how to manage better. I was married 29 years and I wasn't gonna take all of the burden. Even though I took 3/4, GreenPath was able to split it in the middle of the program. That was huge for me, and it was not painful at all. It was rather amazing and I was shocked. The way the society is now, you can't really trust a lot of people let alone companies because there are certain companies that are out to take your money. They're hurtful. They're not really out to help you. But I can truly say that GreenPath really helped me and I think that that's their goal - to really help people, not to get over on them.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review. You are right, it's not always easy and there can be bumps along the road. You did it! You paid off an incredible amount of debt. We will continue to enhance our portal for even more flexibility in the future - thank you again for the review.

All the best,

Compliance Department

Original review: May 2, 2020

Last year my wife and I had a serious of unfortunate events that left us several months behind on over a dozen accounts totaling nearly 80k in unsecured debt. We would receive 20+ calls a day from creditors and 2019 was a terrible year for us. We finally decided to contact Greenpath and get our debts managed. Within 2 months all of the creditor calls stopped. We were able to make a plan with greenpath that allowed us to make just two deposits a month on our schedule then they would cut the checks to dozen+ creditors. Most of our interest rates were negotiated to <10%, some even having a negative real interest rate with inflation!

I've spoken to Greenpath at least 15 times since we signed up in October 2019 to add new debts, pay off smaller ones to snowball other debts and even suspend a DMP payment for a week until the money was available in our account. No problems and everyone was beyond pleasant. I enjoy calling greenpath because I get a sense of relief during and after the call. I know things will get done.

My only cons are that when we called to start adding debts and creating our DMP, we were informed 3 unsecured loans which one included a car payment wasn't eligible. We were paying about $1200 a month on the debt. I ended up calling again at a later time to deal with another matter and I brought it up and in fact it could be added to the DMP and Greenpath negotiated that debt from $1200/mth to 700/mth which basically paid off our entire car loan that was about $475/mth prior to being refinanced and bundled in with an unsecured cash loan. It would have been nicer to get the ball rolling on that debt earlier.

Second is they sent out an offer letter to a creditor but the creditor did not reply to Greenpath. Greenpath made what they assumed would be the monthly payment they would accept. GP sent the payment for about 4 months without a response from the collection agency then we ended up getting served and sued in small claims over the debt by the collection agency. We were able to pay off the debt in full and get the suit dismissed, but the court costs and service fees ate up the 4 months of payments GP ended up sending them. Otherwise, we love Greenpath. We are on track to pay off about 80k in debt by October 2022 or 3 years since we signed up. We plan on snowballing some of the smaller debts with any extra income and tax returns. We'll be "bad debt" free before our original 3 year DMP goal. :) Greenpath is a solid 9/10.

Hi Brian,

We are so glad you called us. I cannot imagine the weight you and your wife felt from the life events, the debt burden, and then the multiple creditor calls a day. It takes a toll on our health as well. I am glad to hear that the program allowed you and your wife to get back on your feet. I hope that the years ahead bring reduced stress. Thank you for taking time to submit a review and I wish you the best.

Compliance Department

Original review: April 23, 2020

I called GreenPath's number and they arranged me to talk to one of their workers. They were very nice. They said, "This is what to do. This is what we do. This is how this works. And you decide if this is what you want." They had all the answer. They had a counselor speak to you and you were able to talk to them and see if this is what you wanted to do.

The program took weight off of my shoulders in worrying that things weren't gonna be paid that I had to keep scrambling. They deal with the creditors. They use your information. They set things up that the money that you can arrange to pay, what you had to take care of and what they did, what they took care of, and it worked. You were always able to call them whenever you had a question or you could write things down and they always came up with an answer. With the other companies that I talked to, they just talked over me and they never gave satisfactory answers to say that they were protecting me and my credit rating.

I am very satisfied with GreenPath and the way they handled my case. Any time I call, I may not speak to the same person that you spoke to, but they all knew my case. They always send mr a reconciliation. I got mail from them on weekly or monthly basis. I would always be able to call when I don't understand something and they were willing to speak with me. It was a relief to have someone understand what was going on. No one criticized me. They were marvelous people to work with. I'll recommend them to anybody.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We are happy to read that you felt supported when you called us with a question and you did not feel judged when contacting us. You are not alone and debt can be a very heavy burden to carry. Congratulations to you, did it!

Compliance Department

Original review: March 14, 2020

My friend told me about GreenPath and she had said they had helped her out. She had given me some details of her issues and stuff of what she had then what they had talked about. I said I’d give it a try because I didn’t know exactly where to go or what to do. I gave them a call and decided to go with them. They basically took money out of our check twice a month and they paid the credit card bills with the money that they took out then they took the fee out with it. I spoke with several people over there and the customer service was really good. One time I had an issue and I called back, talked to somebody else and they were able to fix it.

GreenPath was able to redirect the focus and it helped because they were able to lower the interest rate which enabled us to pay the debts off faster. If I called the credit companies, they wouldn’t lower them. But GreenPath had a contract with the credit companies and they were able to do something different which worked out for me. I was able to pretty much zone in on what I needed to pay first. And because I was able to save, we were able to put a big chunk down on a new vehicle. That was kinda good for us.

I was paying $50 a month up until about the last six months or so. I just progressively was able to pay on it because of the different bonus checks and stuff that we received. I can understand that GreenPath had to make money so they had to have a fee on it. Their fee was good but $50 a month was kinda high. It was like $10 for each card of two $50. And I had $50 for the majority of the time per month. I would’ve rather paid one fee down. But in the last four months, I paid 40 then 30 then 20 for a month then I didn’t pay anything at all because I paid it off. I finished with the program in February. That took almost two and a half years.

GreenPath's website was also very good and I love it. It was very easy to work with and maneuver through. It was very easy to understand what they were doing. But at the same token if I needed to call them and say, “I've paid off this credit card. Don’t pay any more on it,” and to get ahold of them in the middle of the day, it was kinda hard. I learned that I had to call at 7 o’clock in the morning to be able to get ahold of them.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the positive review and glad to hear the program and website worked well for you. We also appreciate the honesty that the wait during the day was too long, we agree with you! We are excited to say we have been able to leverage technology to staff differently based on call arrival patterns. Congratulations on paying off your accounts, what a huge accomplishment! Best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

A friend had told us about Greenpath, so we decided to call. They were great, told us how long it would take to pay off debt. We worked out a payment for each month. The payment were small, barely noticed it was being taken out of our bank. Thanks, Greenpath!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Very satisfied and pleased with the Greenpath program. They worked with me when I needed to back off a month or two due to unforeseen medical issues and my income was temporarily reduced. Explained things clearly and answered any questions I had. Would absolutely recommend the program to others.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Greenpath did an excellent job negotiating with my creditors to get me through a difficult time. They were kind, compassionate and helpful. I never felt judged and they were always professional and attentive to my needs. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

I am very pleased with my experience and ALL of my debt being handled by GreenPath. It was a huge relief lifted off my shoulders when I received the final letter stating my debt was paid in full! I work for a company that takes credit very seriously so, when interviewing new candidates with credit issues I always refer them to Greenpath using my personal experience to motivate them to reach out and just give Greenpath a chance. Thank you so very much!

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations to you, you did it! Thank you for referring others to us - we appreciate that! We truly want to help others reach their financial goals. We wish you all the best!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Greenpath has changed my entire life and I am now headed in a positive healthy direction. I was in significant debt (all credit cards), had tried to get out many times by applying the usual strategies (transfer to 0% interest cards etc) but it was very difficult. Greenpath staff helped me with absolute empathic determination to truly help me end this horrible cycle. It took 5 years and though hard at first, I learned to live in with more consciousness about better financial choices and to live 100% WITHOUT credit cards (yes you CAN). I will never own one again. I am humbly grateful to Greenpath for their ongoing support and guidance. I hope they can help so many Americans in the same situation right now.

Hi Cele,

Thank you for leaving us a review! I love that you were met with empathy. There is so much judgement regarding debt and credit and we want to be a safe space for our clients. You did all the hard work and we provide the framework for your success.

Congrats to you!