4.87/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

View More View More

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I started with Consumer Credit Counseling in 2011 and was eventually picked up by GreenPath. At that time, I was in a financial mess. I had credit cards, store credit cards, and items in collection that were taking a toll on me. I became depressed and upset with every phone call from a debtor. I used to hate when the time came for them to start calling me. I scoured the internet looking for companies and had connected with one in Boston, MA. I needed someone local and ran across Consumer Credit Counseling. It changed my life. My first appointment, I noticed a huge jar on the floor, it was nearly full of shredded credit cards.

After setting things up with my credit counselor, I was asked to shred mine. I did and became liberated from that moment on. I had a plan to get me out of this debt that had overtaken me. They halted the phone calls from my creditors and I was able to see balances paid off. To say that I was thrilled is an understatement. I continued in this program and this past June, I paid off my last one to a finance company. I truly am grateful to God for this service and how it changed my life. If you are in over your head with debt, reach out to Greenpath. I promise you they will make you feel that you have the support you need to get out of this and stay out. I have one credit card now that I am managing as I have learned my lesson. Thank you GreenPath! You are a lifesaver!

Dear Gloria,

Wow, what a powerful exercise, to shred up all your credit cards. Putting the idea of becoming debt free into action must have been quite an experience!

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing up the program. We will miss you as a client, but we are so happy that you are free from that burdensome debt and that you have learned how to manage with minimal cards.

Thank you for being our client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My previous relationship got me into some deep debt and it was kinda hard to get out of by myself so I looked for some guidance and some debt management. GreenPath was very helpful and cutting the interest rate was huge. I was able to manage it, and they worked with me to come up with a plan to do so. They set me up a fine and manageable payment plan because they listened to what I had, they looked over my bills at that time and worked with me. They didn’t leave me in such a bind to where I couldn't eat. I was pretty limited, but I knew into going to it. They didn’t put me in a pinch to where it was that uncomfortable.

In the beginning, my interactions with their reps were great. The guy who helped me set up everything was fine. He was very thorough and made sure everything was in order. There were no hitches along the way and I very seldom had to call for anything. But towards the end, I was calling often because I was paying off a lot more than what my normal was and I took the initiative to tell them to take out extra deposits. I had to deal with a different rep every time because it was like a call center. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn’t, but most of the time, it did. Some people were ready to talk fast and move on to the next person.

I also got a few instances that they wanted to do what they wanted to do versus what I wanted to do with my money. But other than that, it all worked out. I had access to them whenever I needed and luckily, I didn’t hit anything along the way because everything kept working out fine. I would recommend GreenPath. They were a big relief because they did the payments and did the work. They took out money, so I was aware of it each month and I just kept watching the balance go down. They gave me peace of mind and it added comfort just knowing I wasn’t the only one dealing with the problem anymore. It was a big weight off someone’s shoulders.

Hello Donna,

Debt can be so overwhelming. I am very happy that we were able to help you pay it off in a manageable way. That is just how the program is supposed to work! Congratulations on completing the program!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Well, I've reached the end of my GreenPath journey, which feels odd, as I feel like I've been paying money towards these debts my entire life (in reality it was about 12 years). My debts were predominantly medical, based around not working after an accident, going through depression and stress, adding up mismanagement of credit cards in my 20s, and pure denial that I needed to deal with the rising bills. I was told about GreenPath through a family friend, and an account was created for me in which I could pay off various bills slowly, and GreenPath would handle the damage; the threatening phone calls, the intimidating reminders in the mail.

As I changed jobs and my salaries grew, so did the amounts I was able to put through GreenPath. Originally $20 here and there, then $40 a week, then $60, then paying whole bills outright. The process is by no means easy; you still need to double check collection letters you get to see amounts (together myself and a GreenPath representative were able to find discrepancies in bills I was receiving in my favor), you need to save everything you get by email or mail for taxes and oversight, and if you overdraw on your account, you get penalized for it.

But the program WORKS. I didn't feel shamed by my debt, I was able to contact GreenPath at any time to ask about certain withdrawals, or how much I still had left to pay, or even if I could pay something outright because I had the extra funds that week. It helped me immensely to see these high numbers going lower and lower each week, and I really love on the new website how you were able to track your goals and see the calendar that showed when you had to pay and when you would receive a fresh statement.

I can grieve and be sad for the foolish choices I made with my money or the predatory cards I signed up for, but that's not GreenPath's fault. They're there to make an already stressful situation easier. I am debt free except for student loans. What that means is I can solely focus on bringing those numbers down, and I have the skill and tools to do it. I can also look back on who I was as a person and how I handled money when I started, and who I am now and how much has changed. I am grateful for this program, and I would recommend it to anyone. There is hope, and you don't need to be ashamed or scared you'll never get out of debt. You will.

Hello Leanne,

It probably does feel odd to have so much debt paid off - but in the best of ways! Congratulations on completing your program! It is such an incredible accomplishment!

You are NOT alone in having found yourself with more debt than you ever intended to get into. It is something that could easily happen to anyone. This is why we are so passionate about helping people pay off debt at GreenPath. You're absolutely right - it isn't easy. But the hard work you put in really paid off.

Congratulations again! Very best of luck to you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We used GreenPath years ago when my husband first went overseas. We were building a house and GreenPath helped us to get it squared away. It went phenomenally. This time, it was harder to get it squared away with them. My husband came back from being overseas and our pay was reduced by $50,000. GreenPath provided their service where they took whatever debt we asked them to and consolidated it into two affordable monthly payments. They took money every other week out of our checks to help pay for it. It was a little bit confusing in the beginning. It took them a while to get it squared away 'cause one of the credit cards was supposed to be done through GreenPath and there was a mix-up between GreenPath and one of the credit cards. So, for three months, we had to deal with that. But eventually, it got solved.

The reps were nice and helpful. Also, the payment plan was reasonable. When my husband came home, it was a last minute decision. We hadn't squared away our finances before he decided he was done. So, the payment plan was helpful in the sense that it made us able to live on my husband's income in the states. For what we paid for and for that being their expertise, we should not have had months of trying to get that one bill paid 'cause we kept getting late fees added on to that and we were not paying those because GreenPath has the bill and they were supposed to be paying them. For people that are brand new to GreenPath, it can be incredibly overwhelming with those kinds of mistakes. And once that got squared away, it was fine.

Hello Denise,

Thank you so much for your review and a HUGE congratulations to you for paying off your debts!

I am sorry that it took a little bit of extra time to get one of your proposals accepted. We do our very best to avoid situations like that, but sometimes creditors require additional information from or steps to be taken by clients before accepting proposals.

Even so, I am sorry that this caused additional stress to you. I am glad that we were able to get things figured out and your program went smoothly from there.

Thank you again for your words and we wish you the very best going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

My credit union referred me to GreenPath and helped me set it up. The program they helped me with is based on a monthly payment taken out of my check. That payment is on my Walmart credit card. I talked to GreenPath's reps when I set my program up and things sounded good to me. My credit card is all paid off now.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

My experience with GreenPath was all positive. We consolidated some credit card debt and just paid it off monthly very easily. It was a real human being every time we called.

Dear Jillian,

Some things need a real human touch, which is what we try to give each of our clients at GreenPath. We are very glad you had a positive experience with us. Thank you for being our client!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

So far, everything worked out fine with GreenPath Financial Wellness. Their reps have been great the whole time - through the set-up process, keeping us informed, answering any questions. They were very good. The payment plan was part of the process as well. They made sure it was achievable. Initially, the process was a bit arduous, but nothing difficult. GreenPath helped us out financially. Their ability to negotiate with the lenders to reduce the interest payments was key to getting it all done within the five-year plan. I have recommended GreenPath to a couple of my friends over the past few years.

Dear Joe,

First of all, THANK YOU for recommending us to friends! Your vote of confidence truly means the world to us!

We acknowledge that the beginning of the program can certainly be rough - thank you so much for sticking through it with us and we are SO pleased that you found our communication to be up to par at that time. It can be a confusing couple of months and it is so important to us that our clients feel "in the know."

Good luck to you!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

GreenPath's reps were easy to talk to and get along with whenever I had questions to call, and everything got taken care of. They either got rid of my interest or lowered it on everything I did. So, that was good. When we started, I thought the payment plan was something I could handle, and sometimes I could, but sometimes it got kinda rough. So, I had to skip a payment here or there. It was just a lot for me. But now that it’s over, I am glad. I can finally start getting my credit rating back up and hopefully, buy a house next year.

Dear Deanne,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Debt Management Plans can certainly be a challenge - I am glad to hear you were able to skip a payment here and there without too much trouble. It can be hard to make such a huge change to our finances as eliminating or severely reducing credit cards.

Being able to buy a house is an INCREDIBLE goal! We are so pleased that working with GreenPath has enabled you to work towards that goal! We are happy you found our staff easy to talk to, as this is an environment we strive to create for our clients.

Thank you again, Deanne. Best of luck to you!

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I sought GreenPath’s services due to combining debt and getting it paid off, and they were a government-sponsored or backed program. They provided a payment schedule and now I’m debt-free. The rep was very thorough and professional. He followed up, got me the forms that I needed and set me up with a portal so I could check my status. Whenever I needed to contact them to verify something, they were always very responsive. We determined what I could afford to pay, and once the credit card companies were willing to accept, they came up with a number. They gave me the dates that were based on the credit card companies. It wasn’t a substantial cost in order to have my debt managed and paid off, so I was willing for somebody else to handle it for me. They're an excellent company and I highly recommend them.

Dear Jeanette,

Handling debt can be so stressful - so we do our best at GreenPath to manage as much of the work as we can for our clients! A Debt Management Program is a team effort and we are pleased that you felt we pulled our weight - thank YOU for helping out on YOUR end as well! We could not have done it without you. Congratulations on being debt-free! What a wonderful thing to be able to type out!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg