4.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

440 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had too many payments and I needed help. One of the creditors recommended GreenPath to me and I enrolled with them. All the guys there, in general, were okay. They helped me and they were professional. I once interacted with someone who seemed to be in a bad mood, but it was only one thing in the two years that I was with them. Also, the program was good and it worked for me. The amount I was paying every month was reasonable considering my balance which was too big. It started low and then it went up to almost taking all my check, but that was what I had to do.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Kiera (sp?) helped me out tremendously! She was patient and thorough. Thank you so much for her help! GreenPath has also done an awesome job at helping get out of my debt and would recommend them to anyone who needs to get out of debt. I only have a month left of payments and then I'm done!! Thanks again Kiera and GreenPath!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My fiancé had a lot of debt and we wanted to get that under control. I was looking for someone who could help us and I looked on the internet for the information. GreenPath could help us so we went with them. They did a debt management program and everything went great. The reps were perfect and I didn’t have any problems with them. The cost was fair and the payments were reasonable. We were able to finish early, so it was good. Working with GreenPath made the credit score of my fiancé go up quite a bit.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had credit card debt and I liked GreenPath’s good reputation. They provided service where they work with the credit card companies to get the interest rates down and I have to make payments. The online services were too much trouble for me. I have so much stuff to do at work on the internet and computer, and at home. I couldn't deal with it anymore and it was easier to make a phone call so I just called and asked what the balance was. Their customer service was fine and there was no problem. The payment plan was good although it was hard in the beginning. It was a large amount for me to put out. I couldn’t put it toward my student loan so that got behind. It’s over now and although we always think it’s too long when you owe money for something, the time it took to complete it was appropriate. The experience with them was great and I don’t have any complaints. I recommend them to other people.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I spoke with a few companies and I found GreenPath to be pretty good. So, I went with them. Enrolling with them was very easy and their process was thorough. The program enabled me to get caught up without getting further and further behind on interest rates. It also enabled me to get to a place where my credit score went up enough that I was able to get a 0%, over a long period of time, on interest rate. So, the program has been a tremendous help. I have completed it and it was fantastic.

Everybody I worked with at GreenPath was fantastic as well. But in the very beginning, they told me that if I got notices, I should just disregard them and not worry about paying anything that has passed due. They said they'd catch up with that. But that lowered my credit score by 80 points and I got so worried. So, that was very bad advice. And because of that, I missed two payments and those are the only two negative remarks still on my credit. I should've kept up the payments until things were switched over. But despite that, I'd still recommend GreenPath to others.

Hello Jeffrey,

I am so sorry - you should not have been told to disregard statements or to not worry about keeping up payments. We do let clients know that that is an option if they cannot afford to keep up payments and if they aren't concerned with their credit, but it should not have been presented to you as the only possibility.

I am so happy to hear that the program was a net positive, however. And it is true that as long as payments are consistent, credit scores tend to rise over the life of the program. A HUGE congratulations to you on completing the program! I am very glad it went well for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was told about GreenPath by my bank when I was applying for a personal loan to get out of debt. GreenPath was a much easier and painless avenue and I'm glad for their services. Rather than juggling different bills at different times while trying to coordinate paychecks, GreenPath simplified everything. From start to finish the people and process were honest, understanding and approachable. I am now consumer debt free and my credit score is higher. Many thanks to GreenPath!

Hello Timothy,

What a fantastic review - thank you so much! Honest, understanding, and approachable are definitely words that we love hearing associated with our team members. I am so happy the program went smoothly for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

GreenPath was so helpful in negotiating interest rates and a payment schedule with my creditors. I was able to pay down my debt in record time - even 6 months faster than we all thought possible. That has allowed me a great sense of accomplishment and tremendous peace of mind. I am now saving for retirement! Thank you GreenPath!

Hello Rosemary

CONGRATULATIONS not only on paying off your debt, but also saving for retirement! Amazing! And paying your debt off six months ahead of schedule? We are so happy for you!

Enjoy your peace of mind - very best of luck to you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Got out of debt at a consistent pace no missed payments. Any questions I had I just made a call and all folk at Greenpath helped me with a smile and encouragement!!! Would recommend Greenpath if anyone needed help in this area. Thank you again.

Hello Laurence

Thank you so much for being willing to recommend us to others - this give us the opportunity to help more people, which is what we are passionate about. I am happy to hear that your program went so smoothly. Congratulations on getting out of debt!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was in financial trouble. My credit union referred me to Greenpath and I used their debt consolidation program. I gave them all the information and they got to work immediately. They were on everything within the month and they provided me with good customer service. However, they switched me over to a different site when I was almost done with the program. I wasn't able to log online anymore as I had a hard time getting the four-digit code. The lady who I talked to was able to help me. She however told me that she was gonna email me my login information and a different pin but she never did. And I never followed up after that. But I'm already done with the program. I'm debt-free now and I’m happy that’s all behind me. I was paying $70 every two weeks which was expensive, but I was provided with services that I was happy with, as well as other additional ones if I needed it. I recommend Greenpath.

Hello Velda,

I am sorry there was a mix-up with the portal. We have been making improvements to our website, especially over the last two years, and it definitely got confusing for some of our clients. I'm sorry that you were one of them.

However, I am very pleased that you were happy with our service and that the program was a success for you! Congratulations on completing it! Wishing you the very best of luck!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My experience with GreenPath was flawless. Any time I had questions about my account or creditors, someone was there to answer my questions and help me make the best decisions for payoff journey. Getting things started was a bit cumbersome but that's to be expected when you're getting things in order to make a concerted effort to pay off a large amount of debt. The online chat option helped save me time when I needed questions answered - I didn't have to call in and wait on hold for a customer service agent. I have recommended GreenPath to several friends and they have taken advantage of the program and are also happy with the outcome. I was able to pay off $20,000+ in credit card debt in 4 years1, of course substantial payments were required each month but it was worth it.

Hello Brandi,

Thank you so much for recommending us to others! And how wonderful it is to hear that your experience with "flawless"!

Good idea to use the chat feature - we encourage all of our clients to active their portal so they can just chat with our representatives, which is very convenient.

Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

A great, fairly painless way to get out of debt. There were no surprises as far as rates changing, etc. Everything that I was told would happen happened. I would recommend this program to anyone who is struggling to get out of debt.

Hello Sherrie,

Thank you for being willing to recommend others to us. I am so glad to hear that you found the program to be fairly painless and that nothing unexpected came up - that is just how we like the programs to go!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was a client with the GreenPath Debt Consolidation program for three years. I have completed the task that was asked of me and it has been a blessing to me and my family. Thank you for opening my eyes to the path of financial freedom by managing my debts in timely manner. I will never forget what I learned and the professionalism you all brought to the table. Thanks for caring about me!

Hello Sharon,

You are very welcome - caring about our clients is what we do! Thank you for being a client with us and congratulations on paying your debts!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I think GreenPath is a great organization, pray I won't ever need them again, They did an awesome job, I have recommended them to a few others, cant say enough. I had one issue with accounts being paid off but kept receiving money from Green Path, in which they would send back to me, I just think they would have kept up with what was paid off a little better. If I had to use them again I would.

Hello Denise,

Thank you very, very much for recommending us to others. We are always happy to help!

The debt information we have for our clients can't be guaranteed to be 100% accurate - only the creditor knows for certain how much you owe. We continue paying debts until our system estimates that they are paid off, based on the information gathered at the start of the program. Usually it is accurate - every once in a while there are discrepancies, which is probably why we accidentally kept paying your creditor! Fortunately, we tend to catch these things pretty quickly - thank you for watching out on your end, and for your patience with that situation.

Congratulations on completing your program! Good luck going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I want to thank all people who worked with me about your great job. You helped me to achieve my goal to pay my debt. I am very thankful to all of you. I will definitely recommend people your company, because you do very good job.

Hello Nina,

Thank you for recommending people to us! We are passionate about helping others and we appreciate you helping us to be helpful!

CONGRATULATIONS on paying your debt! It's a great goal to have and it feels wonderful to achieve it. Good luck to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We just finished our deal with GreenPath. We are very happy with the results, we heartily recommend GreenPath. They have a very fair payment plan, it feels so good to have all those bills paid and all the calls have stopped, thanks so much GreenPath.

Hello Sam,

Thank you so much for recommending us! We truly appreciate it and we truly appreciate having you as a client. I am so happy to hear that the program has been working for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I had some credit card debts and GreenPath has an office here in Madison which I found on the internet. The enrollment process was pretty easy. I went out there and met with somebody. I tried to get some information and there were a couple of phone calls and we were pretty set. Everything has been very nice and everybody has been good. The program got me out of debt, was able to lower interest rates, and paid everything off. It feels good to be out of credit card debt. I would recommend them to a friend.

Hello Kristen,

Thank you in advance for any potential referrals to us! We would love to be able to help out people that you care about.

Congratulations on getting out of debt! Give yourself a pat on the back because we couldn't have done it without you! Wishing you the very best in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I put in for a loan with a different company to have some work done on my house but then I was told that although I was paying my bills, I had too many. When I called GreenPath and spoke to their rep, I knew that I would go with them. He was great and reassured me that he would take care of everything. GreenPath made sure that I had money to live on and everything was budgeted. They weren't taking all of my money but then they would set goals for when I would get my bills paid off.

At one point, they were able to renegotiate one of my debts and reduce my payments. That saved me 100-so dollars a month, which worked out perfectly. I didn't have to go into an office and did everything on the phone. With them, I was able to fax all my bills for so many months. I have referred quite a few of my friends to GreenPath, and the ones that have gone was totally happy. I couldn't ask for a better service. I was 100% satisfied.

Hello Ruby,

First of all, thank you for referring your friends to us! We are so grateful for the opportunity to serve you as well as others you care about. I want to offer you a huge congratulations on completing your program, which, even when we do our best to make it easy, is a lot of work! We couldn't have done it without you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I got in too much credit card debt and I couldn’t get out. I heard about GreenPath through our bank, WESTconsin Credit Union, and the enrollment was easy to understand. Everybody was real nice about getting things set up. It was also pretty quick. It took a little longer when they called the credit card companies, but within a week or two, it was all set up. They got lower interest rates for me so that I could manage it to get them paid off. Anytime I called, I was able to get a hold of somebody. I got $43,000 off in five years but it was not easy. I had to pay close to $1,000 a month for five years, but it felt good to be done with it. I don’t know what I would’ve done without the help that I got.

Hello Patrick,

WOW! $43,000 paid off? That is truly amazing - a HUGE congratulations to you! I am so glad that we were able to help you along the way and make the process as smooth as possible. Best of luck to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

WESTconsin put me over to GreenPath, and I went to them. I was at Bremer bank, but I didn’t like them that well so I switched over to the credit union. GreenPath asked me how much I wanted to pay a month, and they said $250 a month was fine. They were good to me when I was good to them, which made it simple.

Hello Anthony,

We love making things as simple as possible for our clients. Congratulations to you for getting through the program! We wish you the very best of luck going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

The back bills were overwhelming me and my bank suggested I seek out GreenPath. I set it up and GreenPath took care of everything. I even called them another time and they were very accommodating with whatever I had. Working with them helped me get a different car 'cause it helped my credit. If I foul up again, I'll be calling.

Hello Darlene,

Congratulations not only on your program, but also on improving your credit to the point that you were able to get a new car! I am so happy the program was a benefit to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

GreenPath has been a miracle for us. We entered the program 5 years ago and completed it early. It was never a hardship for us and they were always willing to work with us in any way they could to make sure we achieved success. WELL DONE GREENPATH!!!

Hello Trudy,

Congratulations, and well done to you too! Debt managements are partnerships and we could NOT have done it without you! Sincerely wishing you the best going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Clearing my debts and helping me to get my life back on track. I can’t imagine how I could have managed without your help. My thanks go to your wonderful team and the way they work with me and I especially appreciate their help when I had to call and speak to them on the phone they were always friendly and helpful and patience which I appreciate very much. I also have to give thanks to One AZ Credit Union for suggesting that I should call you when they noticed I had a serious problem and my health was declining. So once again many thanks.

Hello Hilda,

We, too, would like to thank One AZ Credit Union for referring you over to us, and thank YOU for being our client! Congratulations on getting through your program. I am very happy that you had a positive experience with our team members. We are pleased to have helped you out.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was looking at what to do with my debt and because I had that debt, the financial advisor at the bank said that I didn't qualify for a consolidation loan. He told me what I could do and recommended GreenPath Debt Solutions. I went into the whole debt management and reduction service which was fantastic. I spoke to the reps on the phone collecting all the bills and stubs. Then, I went down and spoke to one of their advisors and we set up a plan. I checked once in a while on progress until they provided the website and then, they just looked there and kept an eye on things. When I spoke to the staff, they were always very courteous and helpful.

GreenPath kept my monthly outlay affordable and yet, I've paid off my debt which to me, was worth it. Working with them was positive. It opened up that new hole because it’s all consolidated in one payment. I had more cash for emergencies and things like that available to me which made a difference. I’m still fighting with Citibank because they screwed something up and they're claiming an account isn't paid in full. So, I'll just finish paying that off but otherwise, everything went well with GreenPath. The service that they provided was excellent and I had a very good experience with them. If anybody is in a situation like that, I would recommend that they speak to GreenPath.

Hello Klaus,

Congratulations on paying off your debt! I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with Citi. If you need any advice on what to do, please feel free to give us a call!

I am so glad that the Debt Management Program worked well for you! We love being able to provide an option to clients that allows you to pay off debt without taking more debt on.

Good luck to you going forward! Please call us if you need help going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We were struggling monthly to meet the minimum payment and I never saw an end in sight that the debt was gonna go away. I went through something here locally through United Way and that company was bought out by GreenPath. So, they have helped me before through a different agency. Once the program was set up, I could choose to log online. Then, I would email them and I usually got a response within a day or two. All the debt that we transferred over to them was gone as of January and it has made life better that I don't have that debt anymore.

Hello Cynthia,

CONGRATULATIONS on being debt free! That is incredible and we are so pleased to have been able to help you along the way! Wishing you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Enrolling with GreenPath wasn't difficult at all. We met with them and discussed with one of their people what the options were. One thing we really liked with them was that their reps were accommodating as far as hours go. They stayed past their normal hours to meet with us. Once we had set up an account, the rest of the process could all be done online.

Though what we had was a five-year program, we decided to take out the remaining balance we had and put it into another credit card that didn't have any more fees. Even so, GreenPath's program was helpful in the beginning when we had a big balance to work with. It was also easy for us to cancel our account with them and they were great about it. They sent us a letter saying that we took out the money we owed. Their program worked for us.

Hello Amanda,

I am so glad to hear that our program worked well for you and that you felt well served by our team members. Although paying off debt can be difficult work at the best of times, we do our best to make it as easy as possible for our clients! Very best wishes to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

If you are looking for a way to get out of debt and not claim bankruptcy, go with GreenPath. What a lifesaver!!!! Took me 4 years but my divorce bills are paid off. 2 more years and I can retire debt free!!! Thank you. Your program is amazing and your videos and other information on your website are great!!!

Hello Cynthia,

What an amazing feeling that must be - being two years away from debt-free retirement! That is an incredible accomplishment and I am truly happy for you. Congratulations to you and I hope you enjoy your well-deserved retirement!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

GreenPath helped me pay 27 yrs worth of debt in 5 years. Most reps were friendly and helpful but not all. The website was easy to use and helped me see my progress. There were a couple missed steps but you have to work with GreenPath to resolve your debt. I am so grateful for their help and couldn't have done it without them and recommend them to anyone with surmountable debt.

Hello Linda,

Twenty-seven years worth of debt paid off in five years? That is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations!

I am sorry that there were some people at GreenPath who were not friendly and helpful. That isn't an experience we want for any of our clients, as top notch service is a priority for us. I apologize that you went through that.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Well, I've reached the end of my GreenPath journey, which feels odd, as I feel like I've been paying money towards these debts my entire life (in reality it was about 12 years). My debts were predominantly medical, based around not working after an accident, going through depression and stress, adding up mismanagement of credit cards in my 20s, and pure denial that I needed to deal with the rising bills. I was told about GreenPath through a family friend, and an account was created for me in which I could pay off various bills slowly, and GreenPath would handle the damage; the threatening phone calls, the intimidating reminders in the mail.

As I changed jobs and my salaries grew, so did the amounts I was able to put through GreenPath. Originally $20 here and there, then $40 a week, then $60, then paying whole bills outright. The process is by no means easy; you still need to double check collection letters you get to see amounts (together myself and a GreenPath representative were able to find discrepancies in bills I was receiving in my favor), you need to save everything you get by email or mail for taxes and oversight, and if you overdraw on your account, you get penalized for it.

But the program WORKS. I didn't feel shamed by my debt, I was able to contact GreenPath at any time to ask about certain withdrawals, or how much I still had left to pay, or even if I could pay something outright because I had the extra funds that week. It helped me immensely to see these high numbers going lower and lower each week, and I really love on the new website how you were able to track your goals and see the calendar that showed when you had to pay and when you would receive a fresh statement.

I can grieve and be sad for the foolish choices I made with my money or the predatory cards I signed up for, but that's not GreenPath's fault. They're there to make an already stressful situation easier. I am debt free except for student loans. What that means is I can solely focus on bringing those numbers down, and I have the skill and tools to do it. I can also look back on who I was as a person and how I handled money when I started, and who I am now and how much has changed. I am grateful for this program, and I would recommend it to anyone. There is hope, and you don't need to be ashamed or scared you'll never get out of debt. You will.

Hello Leanne,

It probably does feel odd to have so much debt paid off - but in the best of ways! Congratulations on completing your program! It is such an incredible accomplishment!

You are NOT alone in having found yourself with more debt than you ever intended to get into. It is something that could easily happen to anyone. This is why we are so passionate about helping people pay off debt at GreenPath. You're absolutely right - it isn't easy. But the hard work you put in really paid off.

Congratulations again! Very best of luck to you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I was very pleased with Greenpath. I used the autopay and everything was simple from the beginning. Any time I had any questions or an issue, any one I spoke with was kind, courteous and very helpful. I would definitely recommend them.

Hello Shelly,

We love to hear that our clients found the process simple. We love it even more to hear that you found our team members to be kind and courteous. That is so important to us! Thank you so much for your review - we truly appreciate your words and you as a client.

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg