2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.88/5

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

View More View More

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I started with Consumer Credit Counseling in 2011 and was eventually picked up by GreenPath. At that time, I was in a financial mess. I had credit cards, store credit cards, and items in collection that were taking a toll on me. I became depressed and upset with every phone call from a debtor. I used to hate when the time came for them to start calling me. I scoured the internet looking for companies and had connected with one in Boston, MA. I needed someone local and ran across Consumer Credit Counseling. It changed my life. My first appointment, I noticed a huge jar on the floor, it was nearly full of shredded credit cards.

After setting things up with my credit counselor, I was asked to shred mine. I did and became liberated from that moment on. I had a plan to get me out of this debt that had overtaken me. They halted the phone calls from my creditors and I was able to see balances paid off. To say that I was thrilled is an understatement. I continued in this program and this past June, I paid off my last one to a finance company. I truly am grateful to God for this service and how it changed my life. If you are in over your head with debt, reach out to Greenpath. I promise you they will make you feel that you have the support you need to get out of this and stay out. I have one credit card now that I am managing as I have learned my lesson. Thank you GreenPath! You are a lifesaver!

Dear Gloria,

Wow, what a powerful exercise, to shred up all your credit cards. Putting the idea of becoming debt free into action must have been quite an experience!

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing up the program. We will miss you as a client, but we are so happy that you are free from that burdensome debt and that you have learned how to manage with minimal cards.

Thank you for being our client!

Sincerely,

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2019

GreenPath was awesome. I had an old debt that was in collection status and I needed a little help with it. I heard about GreenPath through an old co-worker that was using them as well. She said it took her about two years to get back on her feet, and they did just that. I called GreenPath's number and they asked questions just to get an idea of what type of debt I had and the amount. They explained to me the amount that they worked with which is $300 and more. Everything under that, I would have to make arrangements with myself. I did, one creditor at a time, and I paid it off that way. Once they got all of my bills together and had my income information, they did a little math and came up with what would be comfortable for me every month. The payment came out of my account every month automatically. They took it from there and distributed it to all the creditors.

They were very professional and answered all my questions. They were there when I needed them. I worked with several representatives and I was impressed by how quick they were in gathering everything, doing that initial call, and giving me an idea of what it would be monthly. The phone call lasted maybe 20 minutes and that was really cool. However, the queues are backed up when you call so you have a little bit of a wait. But then they do have the function or the option to put whatever number for them to call you back. That works too.

Dear Tracy,

We are so pleased to have given you such a positive experience. It sounds like everything went just according to plan for your Debt Management Program!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you in the future - we truly appreciate having you as a client!

Sincerely,

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 3, 2019

My previous relationship got me into some deep debt and it was kinda hard to get out of by myself so I looked for some guidance and some debt management. GreenPath was very helpful and cutting the interest rate was huge. I was able to manage it, and they worked with me to come up with a plan to do so. They set me up a fine and manageable payment plan because they listened to what I had, they looked over my bills at that time and worked with me. They didn’t leave me in such a bind to where I couldn't eat. I was pretty limited, but I knew into going to it. They didn’t put me in a pinch to where it was that uncomfortable.

In the beginning, my interactions with their reps were great. The guy who helped me set up everything was fine. He was very thorough and made sure everything was in order. There were no hitches along the way and I very seldom had to call for anything. But towards the end, I was calling often because I was paying off a lot more than what my normal was and I took the initiative to tell them to take out extra deposits. I had to deal with a different rep every time because it was like a call center. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn’t, but most of the time, it did. Some people were ready to talk fast and move on to the next person.

I also got a few instances that they wanted to do what they wanted to do versus what I wanted to do with my money. But other than that, it all worked out. I had access to them whenever I needed and luckily, I didn’t hit anything along the way because everything kept working out fine. I would recommend GreenPath. They were a big relief because they did the payments and did the work. They took out money, so I was aware of it each month and I just kept watching the balance go down. They gave me peace of mind and it added comfort just knowing I wasn’t the only one dealing with the problem anymore. It was a big weight off someone’s shoulders.

Hello Donna,

Debt can be so overwhelming. I am very happy that we were able to help you pay it off in a manageable way. That is just how the program is supposed to work! Congratulations on completing the program!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was having financial issues and I needed to consolidate all my credit card debts so I could pay it off. I tried to go with another company first but one of my credit card companies wouldn’t deal with them. They told me to go with GreenPath and it worked out for me. There were a lot of forms that I had to download and then upload to them, but they made everything pretty simple. I just filled it out, the accounts, and I sent in statements from the credit cards that I had at the time. They walked me through whatever I needed to do. Then when I was getting close to paying one off, they'd send me a letter to doublecheck with the credit card to make sure it was off. It was a good experience.

I basically owed more in credit cards and I was paying off nothing. When I first started, I’d have to pay $1,400 a month for credit cards debt and I was just barely paying the minimum. Then, when I consolidated with GreenPath and they canceled it and renegotiated, it got it down to where it was bearable. It was at $450 every two weeks. The cost was reasonable and it was good compared to some that I've seen out there. I've paid off all that credit card debt. I'm not completely debt-free ‘cause I have a couple of open credit cards at the moment, but I feel more secure and everything is taken care of.

Hello Sandra,

Congratulations on completing your Debt Management Program! I am so glad to hear that you had a good experience with us. Very best of luck to you going forward and please get in touch if you need any further assistance.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Our bank got us in contact with GreenPath. We faithfully had our deposits withdrawn and reduced our debt. The website was nice along with getting the monthly statements in the beginning. The website was great. They were very beneficial in helping us clean up our credit. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I heard some good feedback about GreenPath and decided to use them. Everything went well. Things went smoother with the payments and I liked the flexibility. Also, the rep I dealt with was great and very professional.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I am so grateful to GreenPath for giving me the means to pay off over $36,000 in less than 4 years! They were with me every step of the way and my credit score stayed relatively high throughout! I couldn't be more happy with their customer service, financial recommendations, and superior reputation!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

The approximately 6 credit cards that I had maintained for years, was wearing me down with stress. With the help of GreenPath, I am credit card free. I am completely satisfied with the service and I have recommended them to friends and family.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My experience was wonderful. It was always so easy to contact anyone if I had questions and I didn't have to ever worry about things getting paid on time. I was with Green Path nearly four years and all of my debts were paid off!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor