4.64/5
Based on 67 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a non-profit organization that has been helping people get out of debt since 1961. They offer free debt counseling, holistic debt management, and financial education tools and resources. Their caring, professional advisors are passionate about providing consumers with a plan of action and a sense of relief.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 25, 2018

351 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

I was in a motorcycle accident and my friend Jessica set up GreenPath for me. GreenPath was nice and every time I called, they gave great service. They helped in every way and it was a good way to go. All the bills were in default and GreenPath helped save my credit, so I’m happy about that. I got my bills paid off and I never had any worries. The cost of the program was excellent as well. I always paid GreenPath every month and it went great.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had a large debt with three credit cards, and GreenPath contacted the creditors and managed a better payment plan for me. They consolidated the amounts I owed the creditors and that figured in how much money I would be able to pay per period or per month at that time. They put something that I was able to manage and they would, in turn, disburse the money to the creditors. Those three large debts have been paid off. The access by telephone and by e-mail as well as the updates that I periodically got was ideal. And anyone who I spoke with at GreenPath was very knowledgeable and skilled in communication. It gave me a very reassured feeling that I was taking the right course of action.

GreenPath's service cost was well worth the money. It wasn’t a terrible amount and it was built into the plan. It was explained to me quite carefully and I felt very assured that this was gonna work for me even with that additional service. I was able to correct quite a financial mess that occurred and I feel like I’m back on track. It feels redeeming to have an agency like GreenPath to help me. I would recommend them many times over.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I was behind on credit card and medical debt. I had paid for my daughter’s wedding dress, all her jewelry and three of the bridesmaids' dresses. I thought I could handle the credit card debt but I got sick and was in the hospital. I ended up owing about $7000 and I have a limited income and I’m on retirement. GreenPath helped me pay that off in four years. I’m so proud of myself and I’m so glad they were there to help me. Their reps were so nice to me. Everybody was always cheerful and if I was not working and was going to be a couple of weeks late, they’d let me do that once in a while. The payment plan was very reasonable because I was trying to pay 12 different places and getting late fees, and it worked out so much better for me. I refer GreenPath to anybody that needs help.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I joined the program in 2014 with a baby on the way and credit card debt from a time of financial hardship hanging over my head. Even though I was able to make the payments I was getting more and more interest piled on. I contacted GreenPath and they helped me navigate a lump sum payment to get all my accounts sorted. The interest stopped accruing and finally debts were getting paid off! Though it took a while we finally paid off all our debts on the program and our credit was in the clear!

Any time I had to contact GreenPath I was shown professionalism and given the help I needed/requested. I never felt judged or talked down to. They were always helpful. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt, when something doesn't work out for one person, they lash out at the company. I never in the 3 years I was on the program had a problem and any issues were given strict attention and resolved. I'll hopefully not need them again, but would highly recommend to anyone who needs financial help!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had credit card debt and somebody presented GreenPath to me. I called them up and everything has been fine. For a year, they took the money out of my account and paid my bills for me. Their reps were always pleasant and the quality of their service was great. It was an easy experience and I recommend them because they helped me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: April 7, 2018

We incurred debt over time with credit cards and stuff. So, we consolidated with GreenPath. In the beginning, the reps wanted a list of all of the stuff that we were trying to consolidate. They also got the income we had and what we were looking at overall as bills with the family so that they wouldn’t set something that we couldn't reach. They made it realistic. We went back and forth a couple of times on that just working some numbers, and then we finalized everything. It was quick. If we started with the phone conversation on a Monday, everything would be done within a week.

We had bi-weekly payments and can't get out, so they contacted all the companies and got things to a buyout situation. They made the scores and it worked out phenomenally. The experience from top to bottom was awesome. When you’re in a tough spot it’s hard to get out of and they made it as painless as possible. They really worked with us and did a great job. Also, the cost was phenomenal. I had a couple people at work that were in the same situation, and I referred GreenPath to them. I will refer people that have similar problems and need to get out to them every time.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We were getting behind our bills and GreenPath was suggested by our Credit Union at that time. The process went flawlessly. They were always helpful when I needed that much money and they took care of everything that I needed to be taken care of. They paid my bills that were past due. And then, they talked to the creditors about the debt and they set up a payment plan with them. The program was the biggest thing that had ever happened to us as far as setting us up financially and I’m very grateful for their services.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have a high interest rate on my credit cards. GreenPath took five of them and negotiated on lower interest rate. They set payment and they debited it directly from my bank account. When I was setting it up in the beginning, I called them to make sure I had all the right contact information for the creditors when I was paying it off. Their reps were helpful and were good at answering questions. They would call me back when I called them and left a message. I also called about the payment plan and they told me that it would be easier if I contacted my own creditors and let them know. I did that, and GreenPath was helpful with the information to the banks because I had lost a lot of that during the year.

I was on the program for a year and a half and I paid all the debts early. I went and paid the debtors individually and then they contacted GreenPath that they have been closed out. Working with GreenPath has helped maintain the increase in interest rate until we pay everything off. They helped me not stress about interest rates. I would recommend them. They are a positive way to get yourself back on track and they deliver what they advertise.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the positive feedback, recommendation and for sharing your story. Congratulations on paying off your debts. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2018

I've used GreenPath two different times. The first time was fine while the second time was very disappointing. GreenPath was recommended by the bank and it was supposed to be non-profit, but it did not turn out being that. Sometimes their decisions were not what they should have been. The only thing they did was take my money and pay my bills. There was no other program that they offered. The enrollment process was fine, but there were too many people’s fingers in the pie when trying to get a hold of them. I call one rep and they tell me one thing. I call another rep the next time and it hasn’t been done because it can’t be done and the person doesn’t realize what he or she was doing. I got frustrated. There were too many representatives but the left hand didn’t know what the right hand was doing.

I called and whoever answered the phone dealt with it. That was fine but there was no continuity. They took some notes but not everything was in the notes. They told me they were going to do something but it was not followed through. It would have been better if there was more continuity. They have a representative and they have a certain number of cases. But when I got whoever answered the phone, they didn’t have any idea what was going on. They can’t figure out in five minutes what the whole program was. If they have certain individuals in charge of certain accounts, it would have worked so much easier, but when they got rid of the branch offices so it really made it bad. I eventually paid off the bills, but that was it. I have been done for over a month. I won’t choose them again if the situation occurs and I would tell others to go to a different company.

Hello Sally,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am so sad to hear you felt the service declined from your first encounter with us to the second. This is certainly not what we want for you or any client. I whole heartedly agree that it is not okay and there are things on which we can improve.

To your concern, the largest benefit of a debt management program is to reduce interest rates and lower monthly payments so that they are affordable and that more money goes to the balance as opposed to interest. This saves a lot of money in the long run and this is what we want for our clients!

To your second and third concern, we are a non-profit which does not mean there are never any fees - I certainly see why that is confusing. Many of our services and counseling are free of charge although some services do have fees. We do offer many types of counseling and programs aside from the debt management program such as student loan counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, bankruptcy counseling, housing counseling, etc. It is because we work to offer so many different things to our clients in order to help them with financial wellness we found the need eventually to streamline and have full departments that handle clients. Each department has their own function and purpose so they are "experts" in that particular area. I do know losing that personal touch comes with drawbacks. I used to work in a field office and loved being on a first name basis with clients. We have continuously worked to find ways to create that personal touch and be sure our clients feel welcomed and supported by us. I would absolutely love to take the time to speak with you more about your ideas to further benefit and help clients such as yourself. Please feel free to contact me so we can work to improve.

Good luck to you and thank you so much.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I am very upset with GreenPath. I just found out today from the credit union I go to GreenPath has not been paying any of my bills. Nobody even knows where the payments are going!!! I started with this company in November and they seemed pretty good, can't get a hold of them been trying for days, I can't even get into my portal account!!! I recommended GreenPath to a few people and told people how good they were... I want my money back and I will just pay them myself!!! I will not tolerate this kind of treatment. I am a customer but they certainly don't treat me like one. They treat you so polite kind and say they will be with you all the way. Well didn't happen!!! That's how they reel you in! I will never ever deal with a company like this again. Nothing but liars and thieves.

Hello Nicole,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your feedback allows us to make changes to better help our clients. I genuinely apologize for your frustration as we do not want any of our clients to feel this way. It is not okay.

I did review your account. Upon review I see you had two collection accounts with our program. The payments were all sent as agreed upon and with the information you provided us. We called and verified this with the collection agencies and I am happy to send statements showing the same. It would be illegal for us to do anything with your funds but what we agreed upon- which is to pay your creditors. The issue that sometimes happens with collection accounts is that they can switch hands - either back to the original creditor or sometimes to a new collection agency. We have no way of knowing this unless you send statements to us showing these changes (which should be sent to you in the mail by the creditor or you would be notified by phone). I apologize that this situation was so confusing and frustrating. It is a Quality requirement that our staff explain what can happen with collection accounts and if this was missed or not explained to you- this is our error and I will work to rectify it.

In terms of our hold times - you are right. We have recently transitioned our call center software and this came with unforeseen issues that created longer wait times for our clients. We deeply regret this. I do understand that taking the time out of a busy day to call and try to handle something you should not even have to stress over is awful. Not being able to get a hold of us is not right. I am so sorry. As well with our portal, we have worked really hard to innovate and find new technology to better service our clients so handling their program is more easily done - unfortunately new thins always come with learning experiences and we continue to work to improve.

We sincerely apologize and wish you the best.

Original review: March 27, 2018

GreenPath getting lots of clients and no employees to cover. Hard to connect to an agent. Be prepared to wait hours or days to have a question answered once you sign up. Also follow your account closely. I noticed a change in my debt settlement in favor of GreenPath. When I questioned them they gave a ridiculous response about how it’s not accurate and then it magically got adjusted to the right amount I owed my creditors. Sign up with caution knowing you will have zero customer service support and suspicious account activity.

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is important we receive feedback so we can appropriately make changes to improve our services. I am genuinely sorry for your frustration as I do not think any client of ours should walk away feeling this way. It is not okay.

You are right, our customer service has been slower lately. We recently transitioned our call center software and this came with unexpected issues that resulted in longer wait times. We have learned from this experience and are deeply regretful our clients were not met with timely service. I do understand how busy a day can be and having to spend time on hold to take care of a concern is incredibly frustrating. This is certainly not what we want for you.

As to your other concerns, I did review your account. The balance information we have for your debts is simply from your initial statement and checkpoints we have as your program progresses. Our system takes the initial balance provided and adjusts the balance using the APR and subtracting payments made. This may be a reason the portal shows differently from your statements. In the case we do find there is a balance concern or discrepancy, we generally contact the creditor to verify the amount owed. This is procedure at the time a debt is to be paid in full, we contact to verify the amount needed to pay a debt in full (as it can change if the debt is not paid by the next point interest accumulates). Likewise, our system alerts us of a debt is negatively amortizing (balance increasing) as this is against our goal and could ultimately violate compliance requirements if the situation were not to be remedied. I apologize if this information was not made clear to you. We work to provide coaching and development to our staff to be sure everything you need to know is communicated properly.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to allow us to work to create a better client experience. Good luck to you.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a hard time managing the debt I had accumulated. I found GreenPath online and they seemed like a good option. So, I tried them out to see what happens. The enrollment was super easy. Someone walked with me through the entire thing. Whenever I call them, there was usually someone there. If there wasn't, they called back. There was one time when I waited the whole day and there were times when I waited a few minutes to receive a response after I left a message. Other than that, they were really great at helping out. They sat down with me and we came up with a budget of what I could pay, and then they took it from there. Also, the cost of the service was great. They contacted all the creditors and worked out an amount. GreenPath has impacted my life greatly. My credit score is up and I'm about 99% done. I pretty much paid off all the debt that I had originally. I don’t have to worry about all that debt hanging over me anymore.

Hi Binta,

Thank you for the positive feedback and for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 19, 2018

The initial consultation and registration went well. The associates seemed very professional. The problem came three months later when I was told our credit card was three months behind. After doing more research, our credit union finally determined that Greenpath had been sending the payments to a different institution. We didn't even have an account where they were sending my money!! And they were charging us $50 per month!! And my credit score was going downhill!! The reason we enrolled in the first place was to save our credit while we paid off the balances. The worst part is that I had called Greenpath multiple times, only to be assured everything was fine. My creditor was the one who figured out the issue.

Fortunately, Greenpath did fix the issue, as far as I could tell. But to this day, I cannot get the portal to work! I cannot even check my Greenpath statements. I just look at my credit card statements and make sure they received the correct amount. Recently, I was able to pay off both of my creditors due to a small windfall. I called Greenpath to cancel the automatic withdrawals. It took me two days to reach them. There was a recording that due to large call volumes, they could not take my call. Click. I finally reached them after two days of trying. They gave me info to log onto a portal. When I tried to use it, I kept getting a warning that it was not a secure site! So I called again, got click again.

Finally reached them the next day. They agreed to stop the withdrawals, but said they require a sort of "exit interview" by phone. They haven't called me yet, but they sent an email. The email is asking me to agree to a monthly bank account WITHDRAWALS! I'm sure they sent me the enrollment process instead of the exit process. Either they're crooked or they're incapable. I'm not sure which. Hopefully they don't withdraw money tomorrow!!

Hello Jill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience, we need feedback such as yours to continue to work to improve so no client of ours should feel the way you do. It is not right and I whole-heartedly agree with you that some things need to improve. I genuinely and sincerely apologize for your frustrations. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns:

I am happy to hear you were pleased with your initial assessment with us. The beginning of a program is certainly a time of acclimation and it can take some time to get things in place. We require our Experts to explain during the first session that sometimes the credit score can dip temporarily based on factors such as potentially closing cards or that sending the difference between minimum monthly payment and the reduced program payment can be helpful until proposals are accepted. It depends on individual situation so can vary. Either way, the program is designed for long run credit improvement by reducing your utilization percentage over time and paying off your debt as well as paying on time monthly payments (the two largest factors of a credit score).I apologize if these things were not explained in a way that was heard. I do see there was a creditor concern earlier in the program and that we had set everything up according to your statement provided, it seemed there was an account number change but not an incorrect institution. I am happy to hear that was eventually resolved and sometimes it takes both of us to fix those things.

In terms of the portal, this was a new system we rolled out to better assist our clients with visibility into their program so they could easily find information and save themselves a phone call. While we did a large amount of pre-work and used our clients as a feedback loop, this was a new venture and as in anything new, it was also a learning experience and we continue to work to improve this technology. New technology was also the reason for recently long wait times - we recently switched our call center software and this created issues we had not anticipated. Nonetheless, your experience was not what we want and I am truly sorry. We are working every day to provide better service and technology to our clients. What you feel, how you experience our program, our staff, and our technology is incredibly important to us.

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS on paying off your debt. We are so pleased to hear this and know it must be a weight off your shoulders! We wish you nothing but the best.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: March 12, 2018

I had mega debt and people were calling me. Because I was a member of Franklin Mint Credit Union GreenPath was a free service for me so I took advantage of it. I was trying to figure out how to get out of debt and GreenPath could take care of the creditors for me. I just walked in there and talked to someone at GreenPath and they walked me through what I was going to do. I sat down, gave them a list of all my debts and I told them how much they could take out a month. We started with twice a month and they took that much out and worked with paying off one debt after another. It was like a consolidation but I don’t think they negotiated the price down because I paid the full price.

Some of the weeks that the payment fell on would have made it hard because it fell with my car insurance. So I told them to split the payment until they’ve taken out once a month and instead of being $148 I told them to take out $145 which was a little more than what they were taking out twice a month. Overall, whatever they took out a month we split it up so it made it easier for me financially to handle it. And then there were a few times where I needed a break, and if they could suspend a payment they did or only took out partial to help me out. GreenPath worked with me and I paid off $40,000 in five years and I’m done. I still owe 20 and they asked if they could help me with it. I said I want to try and do this on my own.

When I was doing the program with GreenPath, I called the reps and explained what I was looking for, and they would total my accounts into the computer and figure out where I was at. If I needed a certain amount of dollars they'd figure out what they could take and what I have to pay. I spoke with whoever was available and they were always there for me and they were so helpful. GreenPath took all the stress that I was having off of me so I could actually live a life. I had the most wonderful experience with GreenPath and I would highly recommend them to anybody.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendation. Congratulations on paying off your debts! Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I've been with GreenPath for four years now, and I've had a very good experience with them. They have good service and ever since the beginning, they have been professional and helpful. I went online to look at different places, and their website caught me. I was thinking of filing bankruptcy, but that was something they didn't want to do. I then had them consolidate my debts. Their application was easy to follow. They got a hold of me right away and whenever I would call, they would get back to me. Also, a couple of times I needed to change my date and they did it for me with no problem.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the positive feedback. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I fell into some trouble and I needed some guidance and help. A friend had told me about GreenPath and so I trust her judgment and went with them. Everyone that I spoke with was very helpful and polite. They catered to what I could afford and we went with it. Plus, the cost was excellent. Everything was awesome and I couldn’t be more pleased with GreenPath.

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that everything was awesome! Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

The whole thing with GreenPath was very impressive. They were recommended to us and when we enrolled with them, things went fast. Their reps were all very polite, too. We always had a different one when we called or if they called us and they did superb answering any of our questions. They helped us through the whole process. We had a great experience and we would recommend them to anybody.

Hi Donna,

Have a great day!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I used GreenPath before and I used it again to pay off bills. I call their number and they give me an application to complete. I put down all the credit cards that I want to consolidate. And when I had to let them know that I had to postpone a couple of payments because they were taking it out too early, I called them. I worked with different agents but I felt comfortable with them. They provided information I was looking for and they were courteous.

GreenPath worked and it helped me pay off my debt regularly. I didn’t pay it off early but I made all payments. I'm done now. Working with them made a change in my life because I have 22 years of my work experience and I’m close to retirement so I can retire earlier than expected. I’d recommend GreenPath and I would let people know that they’re all professional and they help provide information towards getting debts paid off early. Hopefully, the people would be provided the same service I had and they’ll be able to pay off their bills early.

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendation. Congratulations on paying off your debts and your early retirement! Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I was in debt and couldn’t get out. I kept falling further and further behind, and I couldn’t do it myself. GreenPath was sponsored by MSU Credit Unions. They talked about GreenPath quite a lot and so I chose them because I like MSU Credit Union and they’re good. I gave them all my bills, all my credit cards, and they figured out a way. They paid them off for me. They got some discounts and paid all the creditors off. They were so kind every time I call them. I was never late but whenever I had any questions, they always answered them right and always said I didn’t have to worry about it and they’d get me through to the end. They were very helpful. The man I talked to, at first, was very gracious. He answered questions that I didn’t know about. I would have understood how to take care of my credit cards and what not to do and what to do have I gone to them a long time ago. And I probably wouldn’t have gotten a reverse mortgage.

The other guys who I spoke to were gracious as well. Especially in the beginning, I had to take my papers in and have them check them over and make sure everything was going okay. I was a little nervous, but they got me through that. I’m 70 and my husband’s 77 and I don’t know where we would be if it weren’t for them. I'm already done with the program and I can sleep at night. The program took about four years. We had used all of our 401k up, all of our reverse mortgage money, and we were down to nothing. Now, we have savings and we’re so much better. I was really helped by having the ten steps that they gave us on my desk and then look at them almost daily for I have to keep out of debt. That’s going to be a hard thing but it’s not going to be if I keep with what they’ve done and what they’ve taught me. Lastly, the cost is well worth it. I would definitely recommend GreenPath to anybody who is in trouble.

Hi Barbara,

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

We were in a bad financial situation. I was in an accident and went on disability. We were also involved in a civil lawsuit that was costing a lot of money and we had a couple kids in college. I got suckered into those zero percent transfer your balance and zero percent for 18 months thinking I was going to get back to work. That didn’t happen so we had a lot of credit card debt at a high-interest rate.

I made an appointment and went to GreenPath. I talked to a very nice gal over there at the Mishawaka, South Bend office. She went over what our expenses were, what our income was then calculated all the credit card debt and figured out how much we could pay every month. She also explained to me how the system worked. She set it up to where the credit card companies agreed to lower the interest rate and set up a financial plan to pay it off. We had eight different credit card companies and GreenPath worked out the deal with them and the companies agreed to it. We were paying $2,050 a month.

The interest rates went from 18.99% down to 6%. Some of them even went down to 4%. That was nice because we were getting overwhelmed with it all. It’s nice to just have them manage the whole thing. When we had some extra money, we would apply it to GreenPath and they would pay off whatever they thought was the highest interest rate.

We had a few situations through the couple of years where we were getting a financial bind and we weren’t able to pay the $2,050. But GreenPath took out the minimum $150 and we got caught up the next time we made payment. It was a very smooth process. And every time I had questions or we had things we had to take care of, we just called the toll free number and that worked out well. They were very easy to work with. I didn’t realize it for about a year but I found out I could go online and set up an account with GreenPath. I could go to their website, look at where I was at in the program and what cards were paid off and which ones weren't. That was much more user-friendly than trying figure out, looking at the credit card statements and wondering how much was applied.

We originally had about $78,000 in credit card debt and it was set up on a four-year program. We did it in about two and a half years. We paid the final amount off on January fifth of this year. We got paid off pretty quickly and we were glad to have gotten it done. Freeing up that extra $2,000 a month has been good. My credit score when we started was 560 and it was bad. By paying that credit card debt off, selling some farmland, paying off our second mortgage, my credit score is now 780.

I found out later that a consumer could call their credit card company on their own and say they were getting financial problems and needed some relief. But we had eight credit cards so that would have been a pain to do it. GreenPath made it a lot easier doing it through their program than trying to do it ourselves. They had the contacts and they knew how to do it so it was nice doing it in one place. I found out too that there are other companies that do that stuff. But GreenPath is one of the better ones out there and I highly recommend them.

Hi James,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendation. Congratulations on paying off your debts early! Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I was overwhelmed with card debt and GreenPath got it reduced and put on the lowest rate. They set me up for the automatic payment and I didn't worry about it for quite a while. It was affordable for me at the time to pay things and go where I could come up with a solution. And then I ended up getting some money finally and paid everything. I talked to one rep to set it up and usually they were the ones that call me. But whenever I called GreenPath to get a hold of my rep and return their phone calls, I never really got to speak with anybody. Also, I never received any proper emails because they didn't have my proper email address written and they didn't even have my name spelled right for a long time. I suggest they make sure they got all the contact information right before hanging up. GreenPath helped me and it was a little bit faster than some people would be on it with discrepancies, difficulties and correspondence.

Hi Bud,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you had some troubles with your contact information. I am glad to hear that it was fixed and you were able to pay everything off. Congratulations! Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

We had too many credit cards opened, and we needed help in bringing them down. When getting enrolled with GreenPath, there were basic questions over the phone. They contacted our creditors and decided on a monthly payment. They then decided how much they were going to pay each company, and determined how much had to come from us each Friday. The monthly paying plan was a lot cheaper than what we were paying each company. Also, their reps would once in a while send me emails saying how far we are. They were very helpful, and at the end they congratulated us. They sent us a letter, too. Their caringness and helpfulness impressed us the most. I’ve never worked with anybody like that before.

GreenPath helped us get the interest rates down, and they helped us with monthly payments, too. We completed the program last month, and it has helped us financially get out of a stressful situation. We were able to breathe again. They are a good company to go through if you’re struggling like we did. GreenPath helped us out a lot and I'd tell friends to definitely check them out if they're struggling.

Hi Cindy,

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was in between jobs and we were not able to pay a lot of our credit card bills. So, we called GreenPath to try to get help to lower or stop the interest rates, stop the cards, and get a plan. We got a debt consolidation program and the people that we talked to helped us get everything going. At first, I was hesitant working with them since I’ve never done anything like this. It’s always scary to give out all of your credit card information to someone that you’re not face-to-face with and it was a rocky start because we had to give all our information to them because they have to call on behalf of us to all the different creditors to negotiate. But we saw that our bills were getting paid and everything was working out. We were able to manage it a lot more easily by doing one bill a month, instead of trying to sort through six or seven different payments. It simplified everything and helped us decide a lot. Overall, we were happy we did.

We were fed up with sitting on hold for hours at a time with different card companies just trying to speak with somebody but GreenPath was able to get it done much more efficiently. We’ve got two kids that we’re constantly chasing and we don’t have the time to sit there on the phone for hours at the time on hold to get transferred to some company in India that we can’t understand what they’re saying. It took all that out of it and that was very relieving.

The reps at GreenPath were easy to relate to and they’re very personable. When we called and asked for any kind of help, they were on top of it and didn’t drag your feet. It would be an improvement if you could check everything online where they send out a password and you could set up an online account to track your balances. But we’ve called in and everyone was very helpful and they let us know what progress we’ve made, and how much longer we have to go and everything else. Cost-wise, it was very reasonable at $50 a month. For them to do all that legwork and put a hold on a lot of the cards in order to stop and reduce the interest on a lot of the cards for a payoff plan, that was worth it. That’s $800 a month worth of bills that we don’t have to pay anymore, so that’s a big deal. I was happy with the service they’ve provided. GreenPath was a good choice and it was very successful for us. I would recommend it.

Hi Alex,

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

We had eight credit cards that we paid off using GreenPath. It was very easy for us to get in. Once they found out that we were members of CoVantage Credit Union and they verified that, that was it, and we didn’t have to pay for their services. We sent the monthly bill for each card to them so they could see what they were and go from there. They were concerned, very polite and understanding that it made a big difference for us. Their representatives were really good as well.

They negotiated the payment deal with the credit card companies and got us a lower interest rate to pay on the credit cards. Then they negotiated the monthly payments to a lower amount that we could handle better. In fact, with their help, there were two cards that we didn’t have to pay any interest rate, while the others, we paid a 2% interest. There was a couple that was in budge. It took about three years to get everything paid off and we had over $10,000. We like the way that they handled our whole situation. Working with them made everything a lot easier and it’s a peace of mind for us.

Hi James,

Thank you for the positive feedback. Congratulations on paying off your debts! Thank you for sharing your story. I am happy to hear that working with GreenPath made everything easier for you. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I had a lot of debt in many different places and went with GreenPath 'cause my bank pays the fees. It was free for me, so it was excellent. I'm in GreenPath's debt management program. I called them up, told them all my stuff, they verified, and then they negotiated with my creditors and figured out a payment plan based on my income. It was pretty comfortable working with their reps. I usually got a hold of someone or they called me back. Also, they answered all my questions and did the negotiating for me. They did pretty much what I asked them to. The program made payments more manageable and easier to make, and we got a lot of things taken care of. I have already recommended GreenPath to one of my friends.

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendations. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I went through a divorce and some medical issues the last couple of years and things just compiled. I tried to pay things off and it just didn't happen. It was great that GreenPath was able to help me get some ground under my feet again. I researched and dealt with some other ones but the negotiations and the paths were quicker with GreenPath. They took my information down and they let me know which accounts I could work with and which ones I wouldn't able to do. But it all worked out. They walked me through it. It wasn't just the payouts that went out it was also what I was spending on: utilities, food, etc. All numbers were run by me.

Also they kept me in the loop as negotiations came in, whether I accepted them or not, then they move forward to them. They saw me as a person, not just as another client. They were compassionate about my situation and came up with the best scenario. The negotiator didn't just say, "Well this one can't happen, I can't do it." When everything was completed and I was able to take care of a lot of my debts, I mentioned to them that I was in the process of looking for a new vehicle since mine was 20 years old and it was falling apart. They mentioned that they could also take care of my payments every two weeks, whatever that works.

They still wanted to continue to help and that was great. I've had a lot of stuff paid off in addition to the program that I was with GreenPath. I was able to kick some more of the extra money that I was able to use and pay off some other items. I've referred the program to several people and a couple of them are on the program already.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendations. Congratulations on paying off your debts! Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

In order for me to pay down my debt, I need lower interest rates from the credit card companies but I wasn’t getting cooperation from them. My friend had used GreenPath and she had great success with it. Since she did her research, I just followed her footsteps and I got on GreenPath's program. We did the consultation over the phone. Someone met with me in person and created a list of the debts that I wanted to include in the program. Their fee was minimal for $50 a month.

They contacted the banks. They got the interest rates lowered and that was a substantial amount of debt. Then they started me on my way to deducting a certain amount each paycheck which automatically comes out. There was a great customer support along the way. If I had a month where I needed to skip a payment withdrawal date, I would ask for a reprieve and they were totally fine with it. The process was very easy, as well as contacting them. June would have been my program end date but as of last month, I completed the program. Now, I have an additional almost $450 a month that’s not going to them or to bills. The end result is that I paid up $22,000 in debt in five years which I wouldn’t be able to do on my own. It was a success as far as I’m concerned. I would recommend them to whoever is trying to work with banks which is impossible to do.

Hi Theresa,

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I had some credit cards that I wanted to get rid of. GreenPath was willing to work with me and I liked the personality of my worker. She was very good and able to give me the help that I needed to let me know what I needed to do. She also researched on behalf of me and the company to negotiate what was best for me. GreenPath helped me work with the creditors to lower the interest rate and get them paid off sooner. I was also able to save up.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for the positive feedback. Congratulations on paying off your debts! Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

GreenPath's enrollment process was easy. Their representative walked me through everything like setting up the payment. She was patient and her great level of knowledge helped me out a lot. GreenPath is a good business and they made me see things clearer. I was going through a lot of painful headaches during that time of my life I was unemployed. They cleared up everything for me, tied ends up and right now I'm almost free of debt. I’ve been talking to people about them.

Hi Lerna,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendations. I am happy to hear that the process was easy for you. Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

My wife’s legs were both amputated and she had heart attacks, strokes and seizures. The debt got too high that I couldn’t handle it. So I told one of the girls at Tampa Federal Postal Credit Union about my dilemma and the bouncing checks all over. I was trying to control the situation but couldn’t so they suggested to get a hold of GreenPath. I told GreenPath about my situation and they notified all of the people I owed money through the doctors, lawyers but mostly hospitals. Even the Walmart Pharmacy that I’ve got checks for my wife’s prescriptions was monitored by them. It was quite a big deal. And then I had to drop the card and they got it down to a lower percentage that I could afford. Everything was a snafu then and money was coming out of my check.

My wife used to do all this but when she got sick she couldn’t do it. I tried to do it myself but there’s too much paperwork and too much memory. It was hard for me. I couldn’t get a job anywhere because I stayed home and watched her. So we went on further debt and GreenPath got it all taken care of and I’m happy I did it. We started off at $200 and after a while I sum up and gave them $300 to speed the process up. And when my wife passed away I paid back to the hospitals again. But I am cleared from paying since last month. I have completed the program and now I get $300 back in my paycheck. Their representatives were very helpful and understanding about my situation. I was very satisfied with it and I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. They covered everything and it was worth it for they had the expertise to do it.

Hi Ronald,

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your wife. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with your experience. Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendation. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a wonderful day!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg