2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.82/5

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

BOTTOM LINE

GreenPath is a financial wellness nonprofit that offers personalized financial health support. Some of its services might be pricey, but most come free of charge and are 100% confidential.

PROS

• Personalized services
  • Nonprofit approach
  • Free counseling

CONS

• Limited proof of services

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me endure in paying off debt, stay hopeful during the process, and remember that I could eventually be debt-free… Thank you!

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... No B.S. will these guys/gals! Best in the biz and highly recommend them if you want to get out of debt!

GreenPath Financial Wellness Call Now Toll Free (844) 211-1189
Call Now Toll Free

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

What led me to GreenPath was my daughter who was in NICU for eight months. We racked up a bunch of credit card debt and a bunch of other debt because after that, my wife went with renal failure. She had to have a kidney transplant and she had to quit her job. That just racked even more debt. It took us six years to get out of it. GreenPath was recommended by Bank of America. I was very delinquent on it, and their guy recommended GreenPath. The enrollment was very simple and easy. I called and I told GreenPath my situation. At first, I thought, "Is this going to be with Bank of America?" But I was able to put a bunch of other debt on there too. What I liked about it was they took care of it and called everywhere to see what kind of payment I could have. That was what I liked about it. I didn't have to do the dirty work. All I did was get the phone call and they told me how much they were going to withdraw out of my checking a month.

We completed the program a month ago. October was our last payment and it was to Bank of America. We had anywhere between five to seven different accounts, and we had been paying on it. At one point, we were paying $640 a month. Our credit score has gone up ever since we started with the program. It got really bad when we first started because everything was so delinquent. The advisor I had through GreenPath said, "This is what we're gonna do. We're gonna worry about the bills you absolutely need." That was all I paid for. It’s a good part of six months.

When I first called GreenPath, I was a little bit embarrassed. But the rep reassured me it's not an embarrassing situation. It was something that they could help me deal with and it was taken care of. After I got off the phone, I felt pretty confident about it. They were very upfront. Everything was done in October. Then the month of November, they told me I had 13 days if I had anything else to put on my account. But after the 13 days, they were gonna close it. It didn't get closed right away. So when November came around, they took out the 300 and some dollars we we're getting taken out every month. They just had to reimburse us that money. That was the only thing out of the whole experience that happened. They were very friendly. I already recommended them to somebody else and they called GreenPath for advice.

Hi Cody,

I hope that your wife and daughter are healthy and well! I cannot imagine the weight on your shoulders while caring for your family, meanwhile the bills do not go away. You have accomplished a lot!

I do see there was an opportunity for better communication at the end - thank you for sharing and letting us resolve the concern. We care about the service you receive with us.

We wish you all the best!

Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

It's been wonderful with GreenPath. Once I talked to them, it was no gimmick. It was like, “This is how it is.” I liked how easy they were to work with. They allowed us to pick if there was a card or two that we wanted to keep. That was a huge decision maker also. The enrollment process was good. The most painful part was when they asked all the questions about my income and outgoings but it was necessary. It helped set up the program that was really tailor made to us. I couldn't pay $10 a month and get out of it, but it was doable. Since 2017, we've never missed a payment. It hasn't always been easy, but because I believed in the program, I made sure that the payment was there.

Their service was good. It was easier once I learned and put in the effort myself to learn the website. The documents were right there. The upgrade they did a little bit ago was also there. What I really liked about it too was if I had extra money up to $500, I could verbally ask them to pull that out and put it on a certain card. I did that on multiple times and realizing if it was over 500 that I would have to send an email. The flexibility in the program was really big for me also.

For some companies, you call and talk to one representative and they tell you something. Then you call again and another one tells you something else. It wasn't like that with GreenPath when I would call in, no matter who I got, to do a transaction or ask a question. Something else that I really liked, especially towards the end was when I was trying trying to pay everything off quicker. They reached out to that card company. Even though I would do it online, they would call them right there and get that balance. That was really nice and helpful.

I’m debt free now and I feel really good. GreenPath really enabled me to even learn how to manage better. I was married 29 years and I wasn't gonna take all of the burden. Even though I took 3/4, GreenPath was able to split it in the middle of the program. That was huge for me, and it was not painful at all. It was rather amazing and I was shocked. The way the society is now, you can't really trust a lot of people let alone companies because there are certain companies that are out to take your money. They're hurtful. They're not really out to help you. But I can truly say that GreenPath really helped me and I think that that's their goal - to really help people, not to get over on them.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review. You are right, it's not always easy and there can be bumps along the road. You did it! You paid off an incredible amount of debt. We will continue to enhance our portal for even more flexibility in the future - thank you again for the review.

All the best,

Compliance Department

Original review: June 12, 2020

The service from GreenPath was top-notch. The people I met when I went to see them made me feel more comfortable. I enrolled in person and the process was very good. We did it within 45 minutes. I was impressed with their thoroughness and kindness. They let me know about their programs but they weren't pushy about it. We set up a monthly payment and they really kept in touch with me all the way. As any payment was completed, I got a letter from them to make sure everything was clear with that particular credit card. They were just very good at staying with me without hovering every five seconds.

The program got me out of a massive debt and in a way that wasn't terribly painful. We took a look at what the debt was and their rep did some calculations about how long it would take. Then I had to consider how much I could afford at that point and we came to something that would work for both of us. Then when I got towards the end, they helped me to figure out what the payment should be and we worked out our way right down to the very end. Even when I lost my job with COVID, they gave me a month to just rest, and then we were able to finish up probably a month or so. GreenPath has really guided and supported me all the way. I'm totally debt-free now and will never again use another credit card. It's proven to me that I can live very comfortably without one.

Hello Michelle,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your feedback and we are so happy we were able to help you and give you quality service.

Leah Darland

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: May 2, 2020

Last year my wife and I had a serious of unfortunate events that left us several months behind on over a dozen accounts totaling nearly 80k in unsecured debt. We would receive 20+ calls a day from creditors and 2019 was a terrible year for us. We finally decided to contact Greenpath and get our debts managed. Within 2 months all of the creditor calls stopped. We were able to make a plan with greenpath that allowed us to make just two deposits a month on our schedule then they would cut the checks to dozen+ creditors. Most of our interest rates were negotiated to <10%, some even having a negative real interest rate with inflation!

I've spoken to Greenpath at least 15 times since we signed up in October 2019 to add new debts, pay off smaller ones to snowball other debts and even suspend a DMP payment for a week until the money was available in our account. No problems and everyone was beyond pleasant. I enjoy calling greenpath because I get a sense of relief during and after the call. I know things will get done.

My only cons are that when we called to start adding debts and creating our DMP, we were informed 3 unsecured loans which one included a car payment wasn't eligible. We were paying about $1200 a month on the debt. I ended up calling again at a later time to deal with another matter and I brought it up and in fact it could be added to the DMP and Greenpath negotiated that debt from $1200/mth to 700/mth which basically paid off our entire car loan that was about $475/mth prior to being refinanced and bundled in with an unsecured cash loan. It would have been nicer to get the ball rolling on that debt earlier.

Second is they sent out an offer letter to a creditor but the creditor did not reply to Greenpath. Greenpath made what they assumed would be the monthly payment they would accept. GP sent the payment for about 4 months without a response from the collection agency then we ended up getting served and sued in small claims over the debt by the collection agency. We were able to pay off the debt in full and get the suit dismissed, but the court costs and service fees ate up the 4 months of payments GP ended up sending them. Otherwise, we love Greenpath. We are on track to pay off about 80k in debt by October 2022 or 3 years since we signed up. We plan on snowballing some of the smaller debts with any extra income and tax returns. We'll be "bad debt" free before our original 3 year DMP goal. :) Greenpath is a solid 9/10.

Hi Brian,

We are so glad you called us. I cannot imagine the weight you and your wife felt from the life events, the debt burden, and then the multiple creditor calls a day. It takes a toll on our health as well. I am glad to hear that the program allowed you and your wife to get back on your feet. I hope that the years ahead bring reduced stress. Thank you for taking time to submit a review and I wish you the best.

Resolution Specialist

Compliance Department

Original review: March 14, 2020

My friend told me about GreenPath and she had said they had helped her out. She had given me some details of her issues and stuff of what she had then what they had talked about. I said I’d give it a try because I didn’t know exactly where to go or what to do. I gave them a call and decided to go with them. They basically took money out of our check twice a month and they paid the credit card bills with the money that they took out then they took the fee out with it. I spoke with several people over there and the customer service was really good. One time I had an issue and I called back, talked to somebody else and they were able to fix it.

GreenPath was able to redirect the focus and it helped because they were able to lower the interest rate which enabled us to pay the debts off faster. If I called the credit companies, they wouldn’t lower them. But GreenPath had a contract with the credit companies and they were able to do something different which worked out for me. I was able to pretty much zone in on what I needed to pay first. And because I was able to save, we were able to put a big chunk down on a new vehicle. That was kinda good for us.

I was paying $50 a month up until about the last six months or so. I just progressively was able to pay on it because of the different bonus checks and stuff that we received. I can understand that GreenPath had to make money so they had to have a fee on it. Their fee was good but $50 a month was kinda high. It was like $10 for each card of two $50. And I had $50 for the majority of the time per month. I would’ve rather paid one fee down. But in the last four months, I paid 40 then 30 then 20 for a month then I didn’t pay anything at all because I paid it off. I finished with the program in February. That took almost two and a half years.

GreenPath's website was also very good and I love it. It was very easy to work with and maneuver through. It was very easy to understand what they were doing. But at the same token if I needed to call them and say, “I've paid off this credit card. Don’t pay any more on it,” and to get ahold of them in the middle of the day, it was kinda hard. I learned that I had to call at 7 o’clock in the morning to be able to get ahold of them.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the positive review and glad to hear the program and website worked well for you. We also appreciate the honesty that the wait during the day was too long, we agree with you! We are excited to say we have been able to leverage technology to staff differently based on call arrival patterns. Congratulations on paying off your accounts, what a huge accomplishment! Best wishes!

Resolution Specialist

Compliance Department

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

GreenPath's enrollment process was easy. The entire process was easy. When cards are done being paid, GreenPath just sends out notices saying, “Hey, just keep in mind that there's interest that accrues. So make sure you pay that once we're done with it.” Say you're consolidating 10 credit cards, and you're paying for it directly to one source, and two or three of them will close that out around the same time, it'd be nice to get a little more education on maybe how to clear those out just so they don’t hit your report. I had somebody hit my credit report like six months ago. It was 12 cents I owed, and it affected my credit. But outside of that, it’s a really seamless process.

The portal is amazing. It allows me to be able to track my progress through the app and I was able to see where I was. It was cool because I got to reach different milestones in the credit card journey. I'm glad that I did go with GreenPath. My financial literacy has gone up, I’m a lot more conscious about my credit card spending and I feel like I'm a much more responsible credit card user.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

When I was doing my research online, GreenPath was rated very well and they seemed straightforward compared to the other ones that I had searched. That's mainly why we chose them almost four years ago. Now, we've completed program and every single one of the reps were A plus. I had no issues at all over the course. The system was archaic before, but I'm glad that they updated and upgraded their online channels. It made it a lot easier to manage and find everything as well as to communicate. GreenPath made life a lot easier. It was one of the best decisions we've made in our life and we are very grateful for them providing quick service and finding out the exact plan that we had to go through with the least amount of pushback or hiccups.

Hi Jonathan!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review and acknowledging our staff who work so hard behind the scenes. We agree our old system needed a major upgrade - you are 100% right about that! I am happy to hear you like the new portal better and we hope you had a chance to download our app when your program was open.

Congratulations and we wish you the all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I was in credit card debt. I enrolled with GreenPath and I like the consolidation of the debt as well as the low monthly payment. They worked really nice with me on that and they did a great job, so I was happy.

Hi Laura,

We love hearing your positive feedback and that our staff were able to help you and provide the customer service you were looking for. Wishing you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

Green Path helped us manage our debt and be able to pay it off and not have to file bankruptcy. They were always available to help with any questions or problems we had. We were able to pay our debt off early and are finally debt free!

Hi Mary!

Yes, you did it! We know it feels like the plan will take forever, but you did it, one creditor at a time! I am so happy to hear that our staff were able to answer questions and help with any problems that up.

Congrats and we wish you the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I had been paying very high interest on several accts for many years and made many attempts to get the rates reduced. They had gone extremely high due to the fact I was in the hospital for 6 weeks - 2-1/2 weeks unconscious and I always took care of the bills so my husband was clueless. Thank you for helping us get these rates dropped and we made our last payment in Dec, 2020!! Hallelujah! I would recommend you to everyone!

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. High interest rates can be very overwhelming for many - you are not alone and we are so glad you found us! We hope that you are feeling well and feeling a sense of relief now that you've accomplished paying off your accounts. We know it's not easy and you did it!

Congratulations to you!