2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

4.9/5 (102 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: July 26, 2021

The process was simple and they were forthcoming with the information that they needed to know. The biggest benefit with GreenPath is the negotiated rate so, I utilized that with the credit cards I could utilize that with but not with my bank credit cards which they didn't have a negotiated rate with because I could manage that myself. Some people might not be able to manage that themselves and would need the assistance of GreenPath.

I created my own payment plan with the credit cards I couldn’t utilize it with. The rep tried to explain to me but I didn't know the consequences of what he was saying until a month or two into the program. It would be helpful to know the first step and what the consequences are, that they’re gonna negotiate an arrangement with these companies so they don't want to blow it with this company which means that they’ll put me in the plan and they'll help me pay down the debt but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get a better rate for this particular company. That part would help to be upfront with.

The rep was not deliberately not giving me the information but I just didn't understand the consequences of what he was saying. I went faster than the timeline. It was a challenge initially getting that into the program to meet those financial goals as I started needing their help. I was under employed for so long so there were a lot of things I was trying to catch up on. But I was satisfied with the timeframe.

Hi Sharolyn,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review. You are right, there are some creditors who may already have a low interest rate and may not offer a lower rate in the DMP. I am sorry the Financial Counselor did not explain it in a way that was helpful and clear to you when you first started in 2017. It is our expectation that the process is clear for our clients so that you feel equipped and empowered every step of the way.

Should you want to review your concerns in more detail, please feel free to call and ask for me. I would be happy to connect with you.

GreenPath Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

GreenPath worked out okay. The reps were all good. We did go in several times and see a different person but mostly, it was done by phone. They were always professional. They were taking 900 bucks almost a month out of my Social Security check. I also had an issue where I got scammed by a student loan organization. I let them do it. I was too excited about getting the interest rate lowered.

Bank of America was one of my creditors and I would get a paper statement from them. The paper statement would always say Balance, Amount Past Due, and Amount Due. I called somebody early on. When I saw that, I thought, “Well, it’s not past due. You’re taking it out.” They said they would look into it but nothing changed. I just let it go and for the whole how many years I was on the program, those were how the statements were. Before the end, I called back. I talked to somebody different, and they changed this. It didn’t show up that way. It just showed up an amount due.

With COVID, it’s been hard to get an answer. My credit rating is really low. In fact, I haven’t checked it. It just depresses me. I’m wondering if that past due every month could have affected my credit rating 'cause it showed up every month. They assured me it shouldn’t affect it but I don’t know. I had other issues that could have caused my credit rating to be down so that kinda confuses the situation. But I’m happy it’s all paid off. It took a long time but I’m done now.

Hi Randall,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review. We hope that the scam/fraud with student loans was fully resolved. To confirm, the student loan fraud was unrelated to your services with GreenPath.

I understand it may be upsetting and disappointing when accounts are past due. We did notice that when the debt was added to the DMP the account was 90 days past due. If you would like to review any concerned related to your services or learn more about credit reports/credit scores, please give us a call. We are happy to help.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

GreenPath was recommended as an agency that could help you resolve your debt. It was community-based, so I went with them. I did their credit counseling program. The enrollment was very easy. The program helped me to eliminate my debt. I’ve completed it. Sometimes, it was confusing as to who my counselor really was or the person that I needed to talk to directly. Other than that, GreenPath's reps were honest with me and they encouraged me to keep in the plan. So, it was helpful. They showed me where I was making progress.

As far as the payment plan, I had to draw up a budget and I had to give them all my outstanding debts. They showed me what I could bring down, how I could pay down all my debts, and still stay within my budget. They made it very affordable for me to pay off my debt. At first, it seemed like three years is going to be a long time. But then as I saw my debt going down, I was encouraged and I stayed with it. Surely enough, I reached a point where I'm totally paid off. I feel free in a sense because I would have never pay this debt off on my own. I would have really been struggling and not making very much progress. So working with GreenPath was a way to clear my debt, bring up my credit score, and I feel very good about that. I would definitely tell anyone that's struggling, especially with credit card debt, to seek help with GreenPath.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. You accomplished an incredible financial goal! What a wonderful way to end this very challenging year. Congratulations and best wishes to you!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

What led me to GreenPath was my daughter who was in NICU for eight months. We racked up a bunch of credit card debt and a bunch of other debt because after that, my wife went with renal failure. She had to have a kidney transplant and she had to quit her job. That just racked even more debt. It took us six years to get out of it. GreenPath was recommended by Bank of America. I was very delinquent on it, and their guy recommended GreenPath. The enrollment was very simple and easy. I called and I told GreenPath my situation. At first, I thought, "Is this going to be with Bank of America?" But I was able to put a bunch of other debt on there too. What I liked about it was they took care of it and called everywhere to see what kind of payment I could have. That was what I liked about it. I didn't have to do the dirty work. All I did was get the phone call and they told me how much they were going to withdraw out of my checking a month.

We completed the program a month ago. October was our last payment and it was to Bank of America. We had anywhere between five to seven different accounts, and we had been paying on it. At one point, we were paying $640 a month. Our credit score has gone up ever since we started with the program. It got really bad when we first started because everything was so delinquent. The advisor I had through GreenPath said, "This is what we're gonna do. We're gonna worry about the bills you absolutely need." That was all I paid for. It’s a good part of six months.

When I first called GreenPath, I was a little bit embarrassed. But the rep reassured me it's not an embarrassing situation. It was something that they could help me deal with and it was taken care of. After I got off the phone, I felt pretty confident about it. They were very upfront. Everything was done in October. Then the month of November, they told me I had 13 days if I had anything else to put on my account. But after the 13 days, they were gonna close it. It didn't get closed right away. So when November came around, they took out the 300 and some dollars we we're getting taken out every month. They just had to reimburse us that money. That was the only thing out of the whole experience that happened. They were very friendly. I already recommended them to somebody else and they called GreenPath for advice.

Hi Cody,

I hope that your wife and daughter are healthy and well! I cannot imagine the weight on your shoulders while caring for your family, meanwhile the bills do not go away. You have accomplished a lot!

I do see there was an opportunity for better communication at the end - thank you for sharing and letting us resolve the concern. We care about the service you receive with us.

We wish you all the best!

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

When I started with the program, there was some confusion was relating to interest rates that might be gotten because I had balances on a number of credit cards. But also, for example, with three American Express cards, which two am I giving up. But once that was cleared up, which didn't take long, the experience was just fine. They still worked for some time with the staff in Philadelphia, who were always very responsive when I called. And once COVID hit and the calls are being taken out in the Upper Midwest, there was still good responsiveness in communication.

I dealt with two individuals in particular in the Philadelphia group and things were going so well that I really didn't have much occasion to check in for over a year. Then the COVID hit and after that, it seemed to be whoever got the call. But everyone was very knowledgeable and punctual. I don't know if that would've been true if I had missed payments but we had established a baseline that I could meet and there was never any problem with my payments. So it all went very smoothly. Some folks met their obligations to me, which enabled me to pay off the whole debt a month or so ago.

I have talked to groups that promise low interest rates and to two individuals who independently have negotiated to get some of the debt eliminated. But that was not my aim. We were at 12% when we negotiated the payments. I wasn't asking for any reduction in the principal. I was just wanting to schedule out the monthly payments at a rate that I was comfortable with and I had hoped that we would be able to negotiate a little lower interest rate.

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for us! The beginning is often the most difficult time of the program. This is especially true if there are creditors with policies related to other debts. I apologize for any frustration that occurred at that time. I am glad to hear it all worked out to your satisfaction. As you mentioned, GreenPath does not attempt to reduce the principal balance. We help clients pay the debt in full and contact creditors for concessions such as lower interest rates.

We were excited that we deployed our call center to work remotely very quickly. This allowed us to continue servicing our clients and keep our employees safe.

Congratulations to you!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I was very pleased with the customer service at my fingertips. The professionalism of the associates was greatly appreciated. Good company and good people. I would recommend GreenPath to my friends and family if asked. I would also consider using them again in the future but hopefully won't need the services.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

GreenPath was wonderful. I could not have asked for a better debt management organization. I was going to file bankruptcy but just to file the money they were asking for was ridiculous. GreenPath fit my budget and drafted my account twice a month and made it very easy for me. I'd recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

Although it took 5 years, with Greenpath's help, I paid off over $16, 000 worth of debt. I felt so good as I made that final payment. Hopelessness and desperation brought me to Greenpath. I'm so glad I found them. They negotiated with the many companies I was in debt to, got me on a plan that was in my budget, and made sure the payments were credited to me. Paying off my debt was long and sometimes difficult, but Greenpath was a great company to work with. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I’m forever grateful to my colleague for telling me about your company and now it debt FREE. You all made it so easy to work with and your communication was superb. Thank you and for that person who is still undecided don’t be.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

GreenPath allowed me to attain my goal of reducing my debt considerably. They worked with me to have a budget I could follow. At first, it seemed like it would take forever, but the months went by so quickly. I am forever grateful for all their help.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information