2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

4.9/5 (90 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

The process was fairly easy. They asked me questions, gauged where my debt was, and what I needed assistance on. They let me know what my payment plan was going to be and how often I was gonna have to pay. Then I had to sign some documents and send it back. I got my debt paid off and I'm satisfied. I needed to make it a little easier process to make one payment to them and they dispersed the funds amongst multiple accounts that I had. Also, I was able to add on accounts during the process and it was an easy thing to do. I appreciated that part.

The only thing was that when GreenPath initially set up the program, some of the debtors didn't accept the agreement but there was never a follow up from GreenPath to try it again with the program. It seemed like they would do an annual review and see if they can get the debtors to at least take a cheaper interest rate or settle for a smaller amount. But that didn't happen after the program was initially set up.

Hi Tameka,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, we appreciate it! I am glad to hear that overall the process went well.

I reviewed your DMP and I see that all the creditors accepted a proposal. One creditor requested a higher payment, however I see the proposal was accepted within 5 weeks of the debt being added. If you want to connect about this in more detail, please give us a call and ask for me.

With regards to re-negotiation of better terms after a creditor has accepted a proposal, I would be happy to speak to that in more detail. We hear you, you want to know you are getting the best rate possible. Upon a proposal being accepted, the creditor has already lowered and reduced their terms to the lowest terms they have available, so there isn't a better term we can get.

With regards to settling, we are not permitted to contact creditors and negotiate a settlement for our clients. If clients are interested in settling and have the funds to do so, we would have them contact the creditor for arrangements. I would be happy to review this in more detail as well, so you are welcomed to call us and ask for me.

Again, thank you you for you review. I am so glad to hear the program worked well. Congratulations to you!

Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2021

The process was simple and they were forthcoming with the information that they needed to know. The biggest benefit with GreenPath is the negotiated rate so, I utilized that with the credit cards I could utilize that with but not with my bank credit cards which they didn't have a negotiated rate with because I could manage that myself. Some people might not be able to manage that themselves and would need the assistance of GreenPath.

I created my own payment plan with the credit cards I couldn’t utilize it with. The rep tried to explain to me but I didn't know the consequences of what he was saying until a month or two into the program. It would be helpful to know the first step and what the consequences are, that they’re gonna negotiate an arrangement with these companies so they don't want to blow it with this company which means that they’ll put me in the plan and they'll help me pay down the debt but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get a better rate for this particular company. That part would help to be upfront with.

The rep was not deliberately not giving me the information but I just didn't understand the consequences of what he was saying. I went faster than the timeline. It was a challenge initially getting that into the program to meet those financial goals as I started needing their help. I was under employed for so long so there were a lot of things I was trying to catch up on. But I was satisfied with the timeframe.

Hi Sharolyn,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review. You are right, there are some creditors who may already have a low interest rate and may not offer a lower rate in the DMP. I am sorry the Financial Counselor did not explain it in a way that was helpful and clear to you when you first started in 2017. It is our expectation that the process is clear for our clients so that you feel equipped and empowered every step of the way.

Should you want to review your concerns in more detail, please feel free to call and ask for me. I would be happy to connect with you.

Sincerely,

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: June 25, 2021

They were extremely helpful. They met with me and the process was very simple. The hardest thing was coming up with a budget. I've never done that before and I wasn't used to doing it. I had to get organized enough to do that. But they were very helpful in how to do it. They gave me good and helpful feedback. So when I did have questions, they were there to answer. There was always somebody available. It might not be the same person, but it was somebody.

I paid off my debt with GreenPath. I built up my credit. I'm now listed having good credit, which has never happened in my life before. I'm very happy with that. I was real hesitant at first because I was opening up my failure to someone and that's hard to do. I felt like such a failure and an idiot. But they never ever made me feel bad about myself at all. They just took it and said, “This is what we do. People get in trouble and we help them get out”. It was great.

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt review. You are not alone, sharing finances and life events that cause us to get into debt is not easy. So often we are judged by others for circumstances beyond our control.

We are so happy to hear you have achieved your financial goals. We wish you the very best.

Sincerely,

Compliance Department

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

The enrollment process was long. We were so broke and they were asking me questions and trying to break everything down off of my boyfriend's minimum-wage job. It was stressful because they were breaking apart all of our finances and bills according to the little money we had. But since working with GreenPath, there's the ease of not having to deal with creditors. I could just make that one payment to them. They focused on distributing the payments on their due dates and I just had to focus on one due date.

The only flaw at the time was sometimes I waited forever on hold and the app took a while for it to kind of get up and going. Also, there were a couple of times in the beginning when I was late with GreenPath. I didn't realize for a while that I was behind on payments because they didn't tell me. I wish I knew about that in the beginning. Other than that, I was very satisfied overall. I was able to get out of my debt and not have to think that bankruptcy was the only option. Had it not been for GreenPath, I don't think I would have paid off any of this stuff. I would have waited the whole seven years for my credit.

Hi Nidia,

Thank you for leaving a review of GreenPath. You are right about the hold times, we had a period of time when the wait time was too long to speak with a representative. We know that was frustrating for you and many others. With regards to being late with creditors at the beginning, it is the expectation we tell our clients to pay the difference until the creditor accepted the payment plan and updates the terms and conditions. I will be sure to review your file - we always want that explanation to be clear and I apologize if it was not.

You accomplished a lot during your time with us and it is not easy to pay off credit card debt. We wish you all best!

GreenPath Financial Wellness

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

GreenPath worked out okay. The reps were all good. We did go in several times and see a different person but mostly, it was done by phone. They were always professional. They were taking 900 bucks almost a month out of my Social Security check. I also had an issue where I got scammed by a student loan organization. I let them do it. I was too excited about getting the interest rate lowered.

Bank of America was one of my creditors and I would get a paper statement from them. The paper statement would always say Balance, Amount Past Due, and Amount Due. I called somebody early on. When I saw that, I thought, “Well, it’s not past due. You’re taking it out.” They said they would look into it but nothing changed. I just let it go and for the whole how many years I was on the program, those were how the statements were. Before the end, I called back. I talked to somebody different, and they changed this. It didn’t show up that way. It just showed up an amount due.

With COVID, it’s been hard to get an answer. My credit rating is really low. In fact, I haven’t checked it. It just depresses me. I’m wondering if that past due every month could have affected my credit rating 'cause it showed up every month. They assured me it shouldn’t affect it but I don’t know. I had other issues that could have caused my credit rating to be down so that kinda confuses the situation. But I’m happy it’s all paid off. It took a long time but I’m done now.

Hi Randall,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review. We hope that the scam/fraud with student loans was fully resolved. To confirm, the student loan fraud was unrelated to your services with GreenPath.

I understand it may be upsetting and disappointing when accounts are past due. We did notice that when the debt was added to the DMP the account was 90 days past due. If you would like to review any concerned related to your services or learn more about credit reports/credit scores, please give us a call. We are happy to help.

Congratulations and best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

They helped me close my debt this past month. They were excellent. When they had their office hours, their customer service was perfect. I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

We got good customer support. We went on the website often to see how things were. In the beginning, we made more phone calls. The nice thing about GreenPath is that service extends to past my work hours so I was able to talk with someone in the evening. That went really well. Working with them helped us get to our goal.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

When I went to GreenPath, we settled on an amount that was comfortable for me and it was automatically deducted each month until the whole thing has been paid off. It has been the easiest thing I've done. It worked out very well.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

My credit card bill was just ridiculous and I needed help splitting that up and stopping it. I needed a deadline and with the way I was going, it wasn't gonna work out. I talked to different people at GreenPath numerous times and they were all great. I even did online chatting. GreenPath helped my life tremendously on the payment aspect because I knew how much I would be paying every month and I knew that it was knocking down the total. I wasn't just continuing the cycle of getting my payment; getting higher and higher because I wasn't paying it down enough. They were also flexible when I had to skip a payment once with COVID.

Hi Katlin,

We are so glad you called us. We understand it takes more than one call to understand options to help you reach your financial goals. Household debt is very overwhelming for most of us. You accomplished a lot during your time with us. We are so happy for you!

Congratulations to you!

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Enrolling with GreenPath was easy and it didn't take very long. They did everything for us as far as payments. Anytime I had to call and question anything, they were able to answer my questions and help. We did a five-year and the program was done before that. We paid everything off in June and that wasn't with paying any extra on our side. While we've got no credit card debt, the only issue I have is that my debt still affects my credit report with it being a write off.

Also, we just had a miscommunication because one of the cards ended up going to collections. I didn't know about that until I got something from an attorney saying nothing's been paid on it. So, I called GreenPath and the money is sitting there for that card but they never were able to get the correct account information. But that's all resolved now.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information