2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.86/5

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

BOTTOM LINE

GreenPath is a financial wellness nonprofit that offers personalized financial health support. Some of its services might be pricey, but most come free of charge and are 100% confidential.

PROS
  • Personalized services
  • Nonprofit approach
  • Free counseling
CONS
  • Limited proof of services

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me endure in paying off debt, stay hopeful during the process, and remember that I could eventually be debt-free… Thank you!

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... No B.S. will these guys/gals! Best in the biz and highly recommend them if you want to get out of debt!

GreenPath Financial Wellness Call Now Toll Free (844) 211-1189
Call Now Toll Free

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

GreenPath was recommended as an agency that could help you resolve your debt. It was community-based, so I went with them. I did their credit counseling program. The enrollment was very easy. The program helped me to eliminate my debt. I’ve completed it. Sometimes, it was confusing as to who my counselor really was or the person that I needed to talk to directly. Other than that, GreenPath's reps were honest with me and they encouraged me to keep in the plan. So, it was helpful. They showed me where I was making progress.

As far as the payment plan, I had to draw up a budget and I had to give them all my outstanding debts. They showed me what I could bring down, how I could pay down all my debts, and still stay within my budget. They made it very affordable for me to pay off my debt. At first, it seemed like three years is going to be a long time. But then as I saw my debt going down, I was encouraged and I stayed with it. Surely enough, I reached a point where I'm totally paid off. I feel free in a sense because I would have never pay this debt off on my own. I would have really been struggling and not making very much progress. So working with GreenPath was a way to clear my debt, bring up my credit score, and I feel very good about that. I would definitely tell anyone that's struggling, especially with credit card debt, to seek help with GreenPath.

Hi Mary,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. You accomplished an incredible financial goal! What a wonderful way to end this very challenging year. Congratulations and best wishes to you!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

What led me to GreenPath was my daughter who was in NICU for eight months. We racked up a bunch of credit card debt and a bunch of other debt because after that, my wife went with renal failure. She had to have a kidney transplant and she had to quit her job. That just racked even more debt. It took us six years to get out of it. GreenPath was recommended by Bank of America. I was very delinquent on it, and their guy recommended GreenPath. The enrollment was very simple and easy. I called and I told GreenPath my situation. At first, I thought, "Is this going to be with Bank of America?" But I was able to put a bunch of other debt on there too. What I liked about it was they took care of it and called everywhere to see what kind of payment I could have. That was what I liked about it. I didn't have to do the dirty work. All I did was get the phone call and they told me how much they were going to withdraw out of my checking a month.

We completed the program a month ago. October was our last payment and it was to Bank of America. We had anywhere between five to seven different accounts, and we had been paying on it. At one point, we were paying $640 a month. Our credit score has gone up ever since we started with the program. It got really bad when we first started because everything was so delinquent. The advisor I had through GreenPath said, "This is what we're gonna do. We're gonna worry about the bills you absolutely need." That was all I paid for. It’s a good part of six months.

When I first called GreenPath, I was a little bit embarrassed. But the rep reassured me it's not an embarrassing situation. It was something that they could help me deal with and it was taken care of. After I got off the phone, I felt pretty confident about it. They were very upfront. Everything was done in October. Then the month of November, they told me I had 13 days if I had anything else to put on my account. But after the 13 days, they were gonna close it. It didn't get closed right away. So when November came around, they took out the 300 and some dollars we we're getting taken out every month. They just had to reimburse us that money. That was the only thing out of the whole experience that happened. They were very friendly. I already recommended them to somebody else and they called GreenPath for advice.

Hi Cody,

I hope that your wife and daughter are healthy and well! I cannot imagine the weight on your shoulders while caring for your family, meanwhile the bills do not go away. You have accomplished a lot!

I do see there was an opportunity for better communication at the end - thank you for sharing and letting us resolve the concern. We care about the service you receive with us.

We wish you all the best!

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

When I started with the program, there was some confusion was relating to interest rates that might be gotten because I had balances on a number of credit cards. But also, for example, with three American Express cards, which two am I giving up. But once that was cleared up, which didn't take long, the experience was just fine. They still worked for some time with the staff in Philadelphia, who were always very responsive when I called. And once COVID hit and the calls are being taken out in the Upper Midwest, there was still good responsiveness in communication.

I dealt with two individuals in particular in the Philadelphia group and things were going so well that I really didn't have much occasion to check in for over a year. Then the COVID hit and after that, it seemed to be whoever got the call. But everyone was very knowledgeable and punctual. I don't know if that would've been true if I had missed payments but we had established a baseline that I could meet and there was never any problem with my payments. So it all went very smoothly. Some folks met their obligations to me, which enabled me to pay off the whole debt a month or so ago.

I have talked to groups that promise low interest rates and to two individuals who independently have negotiated to get some of the debt eliminated. But that was not my aim. We were at 12% when we negotiated the payments. I wasn't asking for any reduction in the principal. I was just wanting to schedule out the monthly payments at a rate that I was comfortable with and I had hoped that we would be able to negotiate a little lower interest rate.

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for us! The beginning is often the most difficult time of the program. This is especially true if there are creditors with policies related to other debts. I apologize for any frustration that occurred at that time. I am glad to hear it all worked out to your satisfaction. As you mentioned, GreenPath does not attempt to reduce the principal balance. We help clients pay the debt in full and contact creditors for concessions such as lower interest rates.

We were excited that we deployed our call center to work remotely very quickly. This allowed us to continue servicing our clients and keep our employees safe.

Congratulations to you!

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: July 24, 2020

It's been wonderful with GreenPath. Once I talked to them, it was no gimmick. It was like, “This is how it is.” I liked how easy they were to work with. They allowed us to pick if there was a card or two that we wanted to keep. That was a huge decision maker also. The enrollment process was good. The most painful part was when they asked all the questions about my income and outgoings but it was necessary. It helped set up the program that was really tailor made to us. I couldn't pay $10 a month and get out of it, but it was doable. Since 2017, we've never missed a payment. It hasn't always been easy, but because I believed in the program, I made sure that the payment was there.

Their service was good. It was easier once I learned and put in the effort myself to learn the website. The documents were right there. The upgrade they did a little bit ago was also there. What I really liked about it too was if I had extra money up to $500, I could verbally ask them to pull that out and put it on a certain card. I did that on multiple times and realizing if it was over 500 that I would have to send an email. The flexibility in the program was really big for me also.

For some companies, you call and talk to one representative and they tell you something. Then you call again and another one tells you something else. It wasn't like that with GreenPath when I would call in, no matter who I got, to do a transaction or ask a question. Something else that I really liked, especially towards the end was when I was trying trying to pay everything off quicker. They reached out to that card company. Even though I would do it online, they would call them right there and get that balance. That was really nice and helpful.

I’m debt free now and I feel really good. GreenPath really enabled me to even learn how to manage better. I was married 29 years and I wasn't gonna take all of the burden. Even though I took 3/4, GreenPath was able to split it in the middle of the program. That was huge for me, and it was not painful at all. It was rather amazing and I was shocked. The way the society is now, you can't really trust a lot of people let alone companies because there are certain companies that are out to take your money. They're hurtful. They're not really out to help you. But I can truly say that GreenPath really helped me and I think that that's their goal - to really help people, not to get over on them.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review. You are right, it's not always easy and there can be bumps along the road. You did it! You paid off an incredible amount of debt. We will continue to enhance our portal for even more flexibility in the future - thank you again for the review.

All the best,

Compliance Department

Original review: June 12, 2020

The service from GreenPath was top-notch. The people I met when I went to see them made me feel more comfortable. I enrolled in person and the process was very good. We did it within 45 minutes. I was impressed with their thoroughness and kindness. They let me know about their programs but they weren't pushy about it. We set up a monthly payment and they really kept in touch with me all the way. As any payment was completed, I got a letter from them to make sure everything was clear with that particular credit card. They were just very good at staying with me without hovering every five seconds.

The program got me out of a massive debt and in a way that wasn't terribly painful. We took a look at what the debt was and their rep did some calculations about how long it would take. Then I had to consider how much I could afford at that point and we came to something that would work for both of us. Then when I got towards the end, they helped me to figure out what the payment should be and we worked out our way right down to the very end. Even when I lost my job with COVID, they gave me a month to just rest, and then we were able to finish up probably a month or so. GreenPath has really guided and supported me all the way. I'm totally debt-free now and will never again use another credit card. It's proven to me that I can live very comfortably without one.

Hello Michelle,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your feedback and we are so happy we were able to help you and give you quality service.

Leah Darland

Compliance and Quality Coordinator

Original review: May 4, 2021

I am very satisfied with GreenPath's work. The reps kept me informed on what the plan was and we finished in a timely manner.

Original review: April 29, 2021

The enrollment process of GreenPath has been fairly easy. I talked to somebody and I sent him some information and some documents. They did everything, gave me a couple of options and I picked one. Any time I called, they were very helpful and nice. Any questions I've ever asked, they were always right there. Then I could go online and chat with them if I need something also. It was a wonderful experience to do. It never was a hassle. They never bothered me month after month. It was just peace of mind. There was one month that the payment due fell a few days before my paycheck came in and I called. They moved it up a few days or back where it would be right after my paycheck. They were excellent. I would definitely recommend GreenPath.

Original review: April 20, 2021

Working with GreenPath made things simpler. The reps kind of did the work for me and contacted the creditors on my behalf. It's one of those things where I was able to do it and forget it and I was able to achieve the goal that I was looking for pretty effortlessly. I'm glad I found GreenPath.

Original review: April 19, 2021

It was interesting how GreenPath had its website layout and customer service set up. If there was a link I needed, I was able to find it without searching on their website, which is incredibly not a common thing. Also, the reps are very accommodating and they respond quickly. But setting up an alert system for whether a payment was missed or is coming up would help customers. An alert through SMS would be best, especially since there's an app that already connects to the phone. I'm sure there's a way they could program SMS notifications or enable push notifications or that kind of nature. Other than that, it was an overall simple, straightforward, and manageable experience.

Original review: April 16, 2021

During a holiday, I was trying to chat with a rep and it didn't ever indicate to me that they were closed early for the holiday. My payday was not falling where I was going to be able to make that month's payment. So, that was a struggle and by the time I was able to get ahold of them, it was too late to change the payment. But everything was great. They did a great job.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information