4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

448 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Well, I've reached the end of my GreenPath journey, which feels odd, as I feel like I've been paying money towards these debts my entire life (in reality it was about 12 years). My debts were predominantly medical, based around not working after an accident, going through depression and stress, adding up mismanagement of credit cards in my 20s, and pure denial that I needed to deal with the rising bills. I was told about GreenPath through a family friend, and an account was created for me in which I could pay off various bills slowly, and GreenPath would handle the damage; the threatening phone calls, the intimidating reminders in the mail.

As I changed jobs and my salaries grew, so did the amounts I was able to put through GreenPath. Originally $20 here and there, then $40 a week, then $60, then paying whole bills outright. The process is by no means easy; you still need to double check collection letters you get to see amounts (together myself and a GreenPath representative were able to find discrepancies in bills I was receiving in my favor), you need to save everything you get by email or mail for taxes and oversight, and if you overdraw on your account, you get penalized for it.

But the program WORKS. I didn't feel shamed by my debt, I was able to contact GreenPath at any time to ask about certain withdrawals, or how much I still had left to pay, or even if I could pay something outright because I had the extra funds that week. It helped me immensely to see these high numbers going lower and lower each week, and I really love on the new website how you were able to track your goals and see the calendar that showed when you had to pay and when you would receive a fresh statement.

I can grieve and be sad for the foolish choices I made with my money or the predatory cards I signed up for, but that's not GreenPath's fault. They're there to make an already stressful situation easier. I am debt free except for student loans. What that means is I can solely focus on bringing those numbers down, and I have the skill and tools to do it. I can also look back on who I was as a person and how I handled money when I started, and who I am now and how much has changed. I am grateful for this program, and I would recommend it to anyone. There is hope, and you don't need to be ashamed or scared you'll never get out of debt. You will.

Hello Leanne,

It probably does feel odd to have so much debt paid off - but in the best of ways! Congratulations on completing your program! It is such an incredible accomplishment!

You are NOT alone in having found yourself with more debt than you ever intended to get into. It is something that could easily happen to anyone. This is why we are so passionate about helping people pay off debt at GreenPath. You're absolutely right - it isn't easy. But the hard work you put in really paid off.

Congratulations again! Very best of luck to you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I did a big job change which took a big pay cut. So, I had a lot of high credit cards and I was paying them all on time but I was paying the minimum payments and the interest was adding up. I had at least 24,000 just in credit cards and I didn’t want my credit to get completely racked. At that point, I needed to think of a way to get them paid off and I thought that consolidation would be the best thing to do. When I spoke to my banker at Bank of America, he suggested to call GreenPath, so I did.

Everyone that I spoke with or dealt with at GreenPath was awesome. The rep that signed me up was absolutely amazing. I called several times as well because I wanted to put extra money on my account and they made everything so easy. And all my bills got paid. They called the credit card companies and negotiated an interest rate. Then based on what my salary was, I would pay GreenPath so they could pay the credit cards off for me. Also, I recently relocated out-of-state and I was worried that my credit was destroyed. But I didn’t need extra deposits for anything and my credit score’s still standing in good terms.

Aside from that, I was mostly impressed with the communication that GreenPath have with their clients. Any time that they would communicate that they paid off something, they would also tell you that you need to call your creditor and double check. They would send you a text message as well if you signed up for that and they would send you an email. You could log-in to your portal, too, if you wanted and they would give you all the tools that you needed. So everything that they did was consistent across the board.

Other than that, I was never tracked back. I owed 4,000 in one card and I ended up paying it all off. Even when I did that, they told me that I still got three left and that they would call and see what the final rate was. Then someone else called me back and told me my final payment. They were transparent through the whole process and I was not left in the dark. I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. I would tell them that from what I experienced, they were easy to work with and I was never stressed out.

Dear Stefanie,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am extremely pleased to read about your experience with us. Consistent communication and transparency are very important to us, so I am so happy to hear that you experienced these things with us.

We are honored to have been able to help you through your program. Thank you for being our client!

Sincerely,

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bank with PNC Bank and they highly recommended GreenPath. But there was a little bit of a hang-up in the beginning. There were certain restrictions on who GreenPath could communicate with. They couldn't get over the hurdle and communicate with the bank about the minutia of the negotiation of what could be paid, when it could be paid and how it was gonna be paid. That was the only frustration that I had. At least, it was this way several years ago. There was a lot that fell on the client to communicate to the people at the bank and the people at the company. Then of course, people at the bank and people at GreenPath would ask a question but because I’m not a banker and I don’t work for GreenPath, I didn't always have the answer to those.

It was very difficult to get on the same page with everybody. I didn’t understand why there wasn’t a better working relationship, because it was a referral, as far as communications between the bank and GreenPath. The back and forth became aggravating because there was only so much information, even with me being a person who does his research and his due diligence. It would have been easier if GreenPath could pick up the phone, talk to the person who was handling my debt and work some of those things out. Then they could communicate with me as the third-party and say what result they had come to then ask if I was happy with that. That would have been a much more seamless transition in process.

All the while, I was also having to make payments and those were larger payments than I could really afford at that time. But I saw the value in the company and thankfully, after a couple of weeks of back and forth, and phone tags, we finally got the right people from my bank to communicate with GreenPath. Everything was able to be finalized in quotes, prices and interests rates. Then it was a smooth process ever since. Once the ball got rolling, they were great. GreenPath is a great company and they do a great job of what they do.

In the beginning, there was also one person who ran things pretty well. But then I lost contact with him or he didn’t get back until it was done. Then we got put through to somebody else and they had a different way of doing things. Still, GreenPath was really flexible as far as getting a manageable payment. The bi-weekly pay schedule was hard for us but that was understandable as well. If the bank was only gonna accept X amount of dollars and GreenPath was trying to get it lower than that then you have to get that negotiation process where the bank is okay with paying X amount of dollars every month. So GreenPath did a good job in trying to meet the needs of the customer while at the same time, being able to do what they’re allowed to do by way of having to deal with the bank.

The cost was also fair and the quality was definitely worth the money. The service definitely helped me. Even in getting all of my debt paid off and getting married, I spoke with a consultant who helped me get everything finalized. They also offered services for future banking, getting our budget and paying what was lined up for me and my future wife. So the outcome, or the juice, is worth the squeeze. I’m going into a marriage consumer debt-free. The only things I have are student loan debts because I went to law school. That’s all I am carrying with me and GreenPath helped me do that.

Dear Joshua,

Yes, with PNC bank, they do require a hand-signed release in order to process a proposal. This can make the initial process with PNC a little laborious, we understand. This is simply the policy that PNC has.

Additionally, it is often the case that the first few weeks of the program are the toughest. However, I am glad that we were able to get all the creases ironed out in the end. I am very sorry for the difficulties in the interim.

I am happy that it was an overall positive experience. Going into marriage with no consumer debt is a huge accomplishment and you are due a huge congratulations on that!

I wish you the very best going forward! Please know that we are here to help should the need arise in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: July 5, 2018

GreenPath saved my life. I had a crazy credit card debt and I couldn't keep up with the bills. I was getting late fees and I was shoveling it against the tide. I was getting absolutely nowhere. I had been seeing all kinds of debt consolidation things on television but Chase Bank told me that they weren't very reputable. Sometimes, they would take the money and not pay off the bills, and then I'd be in more trouble than where I was. I knew that Chase Bank, wanting to get their money, was going to lead me in the right direction. They gave me several names, but GreenPath was the first one that I called.

I spoke with Angel and that's exactly what she was. She sat there and we figured out my budget and how much I was going to be able to pay without it really hurting financially. Then I was looking at what I was trying to pay to get these credit card bills paid off. She told me how they would try to get the credit card companies with lower interest rates, which they did. The enrollment process was very easy. For the first six months, I had to send in different papers. I did the things that they told me that I had to do. They told me not to open up any new credit cards because credit cards can get me into trouble. I'm one of those people that like immediate gratification and sometimes, it just doesn't work that way. I've learned to live within a budget now and it seems like everything has just gone the right way with me.

GreenPath put me on a payment plan that I was able to keep up with. It was quite a bit of money being taken out and I was having $180 a week taken out of me. But they had put me on a five-year plan, which I was able to keep up with. I had a total of 5,000 left, and I went and got myself a personal loan to finish paying off these loans once and for all. It hasn't even been four years that I've been on the program, and now I'm paid off. It was a big chunk of change to have to be putting debt out of you, but I found a solution to a problem that I just couldn't find on my own.

Even when I was gonna try paying off the rest of my bill, I talked with one of the counselors over at GreenPath. I was saying that I was gonna try taking some of my money out from my retirement fund and pay them off. The girl strongly suggested not to. To me, GreenPath has always given me very good guidance. A couple of times before when I was going on a vacation, I asked them if I could skip a payment so that I could have a little extra cash for my vacations. They were always very good about stuff like that and I've never had a problem with it.

Now my credit score has come up quite a bit. A year ago this past March, my car needed to be replaced, and I was able to get it without a cosigner. I'm learning to budget my money a lot better, and it's a little bit harder for me because since I began this program, my pay went from being paid weekly to biweekly. GreenPath is a lifesaving business. I highly recommend this company for anybody who's ever in a situation like I was.

Hi Celeste,

I am absolutely thrilled that everything worked out so well for you. We greatly appreciate your glowing review.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to us that we provide our clients with an experience that is as low-stress as possible. It is no easy task to pay off debt, so I am glad to hear that we created an environment for you that made such a thing possible. You are due a huge congratulations for getting through the program! We are so pleased for you.

Don’t ever hesitate to get in touch with further questions.

Leah

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: July 1, 2018

GreenPath is awesome and I really appreciated it. I had a debt level that I thought was too much and I wanted help managing it. GreenPath was recommended by a friend and I heard good things about them. I went and talk to them in person and they seemed really helpful. Their reps were very helpful in the beginning in letting me know what information they needed and in explaining the details of things and setting it all up.

Once it was all set up, it worked very smoothly the whole time and it was just one payment to them. I was most impressed that they really sat down with me one-to-one and went through everything. They kept sending me notices of what was going on via email at times. They told me that they couldn't reduce the interest rate with a couple of credit cards 'cause the interest rate was good and that I might as well hold on to those and work on those myself. But they took a lot of the other debts and were able to reduce the interest rates, which makes a huge difference. They spoke with different creditors and they were able to identify from them if they would be willing to reduce the interest rates and that kind of allowed them to calculate what my debt was gonna be going forward.

They looked at what I was typically paying on all of my cards and they basically said, "Let's just say we're all that you were paying but now, you're gonna pay it to us pretty narrowed together." So, it didn't really feel like an increase in what I was paying. But that amount allowed them to reduce the debt faster. They targeted one creditor whenever I pay one thing off, and then they target another one to increase the focus on that one. So it was really helpful. I don't feel like I could do that myself and it's good to have someone in my corner.

The stuff that I was responsible for, the interest rates were 8%, which was low, so it wasn't eating me up. I stayed away from those cards and I did not use them. I cut them up and that was very helpful. GreenPath helped interject the discipline and focus on doing that. Working with GreenPath has reduced my stress. I just had to make one payment and everything was taken care of. I paid them down in different ways and I can see that what they took over and got paid off. I referred my daughter to them.

Hi Catherine,

Thank you both to your friend who referred you to us, and to you for referring our daughter! That alone is a tremendous vote of confidence.

I love hearing that working with us helped reduce your stress – that is truly one of our goals for our clients. I am glad we were able to help you out with your debts. A huge congratulations to you for completing the program! It takes a lot of hard work and discipline and it’s fantastic that you were able to do it!

Please keep GreenPath in mind in case you have any questions in the future. We would be happy to hear from you.

Leah

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: April 26, 2019

When I googled debt consolidators, GreenPath came up and I went with them. They provided excellent services and the process was very easy. Every time I called and had a question, I got somebody on the phone to answer me. The reps that I worked with were very helpful. They explained everything very clearly and I got all the information that I needed. They spent time with me when I needed that and I never felt rushed. They were very flexible and easy to work with. They asked me what would be comfortable for me right from the beginning. I told them the amount, then we broke the payments down to every two weeks and it worked out fine. I made my monthly payments and I'm done with the program. It was all good when the accounts were finished and everything was settled very clearly. Everything went very smoothly and I was happy with the whole thing. I would recommend GreenPath to other people and in fact I have already done so.

Hello Leslie,

Thank you so much for referring others to us! I loved reading about the experience you had with GreenPath - that is just what we hope for for our clients. We do try to be as easy to work with as possible. CONGRATULATIONS to you on finishing the program! Wishing you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was having frequent overdrafts and I had a large amount of credit card debt. GreenPath was recommended by my credit union that had my car loan. Their process was very easy and the people there were very helpful. Communication was very good. The payment plan they had me on worked out fine. I increased it somewhere along the line and it went very well too. I got everything paid off in about three and a half years which was shorter than I expected.

Hello Sandra,

Shorter than expected is FANTASTIC! We're so happy for you! Congratulations on paying off your debt and getting set on the path to financial freedom!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2019

Before my last call to GreenPath today I was very impressed and happy with the service and people I spoke to over the phone. I am new to GreenPath and I did not know my portal was set up or the details of my account. I called to get a better understanding of the system and figure out how to not get late payments on my credit cards. The person I spoke to on the phone for help was rude, dismissive, and sounded irritated as soon as she answered the phone. Her tone was arrogant and condescending. This person clearly should not be working with the public. She did not have any customer service skills. I was very angry when I got off the phone. I called on April 12, 2019 at 5:15 pm.

Hello Lisa,

First, I want to thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Our goal at GreenPath is for your needs to be met and to feel supported in any interaction with our organization. By providing this feedback, it allows for us to research your concern and provide appropriate coaching or implement other measures with our staff. Additionally, it allows for us to determine your ease of use (or lack thereof) in any of our systems, such as the portal so we can make improvements and remove any barriers.

It is not okay for you to feel this way and this is not the experience we want for our clients. Particularly, with the knowledge that people come to us for help, this should be honored and every person should be treated with nothing but care and respect. I sincerely apologize this is not what happened for you.

As the Quality Assurance Manager, I will personally research this for you and will be reaching out to be sure we can rectify this situation and help in any additional ways you might need.

Colleen Dillon
Quality Assurance Manager

GreenPath Financial Wellness

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was accumulating debts and a referral made me go with GreenPath. Their enrollment process was very easy and I had a support team that walked me through it. Their reps were accommodating, supportive, very friendly and professional. I paid ahead of schedule and wasn’t charged any penalty. They didn’t make me pay the rest of the monthly expenses. It was a testament to their commitment to supporting the program. It put us on the path to resolve our debts. If a friend of mine is considering using them, I'll tell that friend to do it without hesitation.

Hello Jessica,

Well, thank you both to whoever referred you and to you for being willing to refer others! We strive to give our clients the kind of positive experience you described. Wishing you the very best of luck!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was in debt and called GreenPath. They got all the information for all the creditors that I had, then did all the work. The process took a couple of years only. With their program, I paid off my debt and I'm out of it.

Hello Nicholas,

Congratulations on being out of debt! I know you said that we did all the work, but in truth the whole endeavor is a partnership and we could not do it without the cooperation of our wonderful clients. Very best of luck to you in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 3, 2019

My previous relationship got me into some deep debt and it was kinda hard to get out of by myself so I looked for some guidance and some debt management. GreenPath was very helpful and cutting the interest rate was huge. I was able to manage it, and they worked with me to come up with a plan to do so. They set me up a fine and manageable payment plan because they listened to what I had, they looked over my bills at that time and worked with me. They didn’t leave me in such a bind to where I couldn't eat. I was pretty limited, but I knew into going to it. They didn’t put me in a pinch to where it was that uncomfortable.

In the beginning, my interactions with their reps were great. The guy who helped me set up everything was fine. He was very thorough and made sure everything was in order. There were no hitches along the way and I very seldom had to call for anything. But towards the end, I was calling often because I was paying off a lot more than what my normal was and I took the initiative to tell them to take out extra deposits. I had to deal with a different rep every time because it was like a call center. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn’t, but most of the time, it did. Some people were ready to talk fast and move on to the next person.

I also got a few instances that they wanted to do what they wanted to do versus what I wanted to do with my money. But other than that, it all worked out. I had access to them whenever I needed and luckily, I didn’t hit anything along the way because everything kept working out fine. I would recommend GreenPath. They were a big relief because they did the payments and did the work. They took out money, so I was aware of it each month and I just kept watching the balance go down. They gave me peace of mind and it added comfort just knowing I wasn’t the only one dealing with the problem anymore. It was a big weight off someone’s shoulders.

Hello Donna,

Debt can be so overwhelming. I am very happy that we were able to help you pay it off in a manageable way. That is just how the program is supposed to work! Congratulations on completing the program!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 29, 2019

When I bought my house, GreenPath was a big part of them approving my loan for my house because I was already in an active debt management plan. They looked at that as being a good thing. At the time I sought their services, I was way at my budget and trying to find a way to better manage myself. I was with a credit union and they automatically covered interest fee or whatever it was for GreenPath. I felt completely comfortable working with GreenPath and talking about my budget. I've been in the program for 10 years and paid them $85 a month. But I finished it recently. They absolutely helped out a lot and I would recommend them.

Hello Akisha,

Wow, that is truly humbling to hear that being enrolled in our services enabled you to purchase a house! That is such a huge accomplishment - as is completing your program. Many, many congratulations are due! We wish you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was having financial issues and I needed to consolidate all my credit card debts so I could pay it off. I tried to go with another company first but one of my credit card companies wouldn’t deal with them. They told me to go with GreenPath and it worked out for me. There were a lot of forms that I had to download and then upload to them, but they made everything pretty simple. I just filled it out, the accounts, and I sent in statements from the credit cards that I had at the time. They walked me through whatever I needed to do. Then when I was getting close to paying one off, they'd send me a letter to doublecheck with the credit card to make sure it was off. It was a good experience.

I basically owed more in credit cards and I was paying off nothing. When I first started, I’d have to pay $1,400 a month for credit cards debt and I was just barely paying the minimum. Then, when I consolidated with GreenPath and they canceled it and renegotiated, it got it down to where it was bearable. It was at $450 every two weeks. The cost was reasonable and it was good compared to some that I've seen out there. I've paid off all that credit card debt. I'm not completely debt-free ‘cause I have a couple of open credit cards at the moment, but I feel more secure and everything is taken care of.

Hello Sandra,

Congratulations on completing your Debt Management Program! I am so glad to hear that you had a good experience with us. Very best of luck to you going forward and please get in touch if you need any further assistance.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had too many payments and I needed help. One of the creditors recommended GreenPath to me and I enrolled with them. All the guys there, in general, were okay. They helped me and they were professional. I once interacted with someone who seemed to be in a bad mood, but it was only one thing in the two years that I was with them. Also, the program was good and it worked for me. The amount I was paying every month was reasonable considering my balance which was too big. It started low and then it went up to almost taking all my check, but that was what I had to do.

Hello Laurencio,

I'm so sorry that you had the experience of talking to someone who was in a bad mood, but I do appreciate your understanding. We're all human, after all, though we try our best not to let bad moods spill over to our clients.

We are very pleased to have been able to help you with our debt. Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for being our client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 13, 2019

Kiera (sp?) helped me out tremendously! She was patient and thorough. Thank you so much for her help! GreenPath has also done an awesome job at helping get out of my debt and would recommend them to anyone who needs to get out of debt. I only have a month left of payments and then I'm done!! Thanks again Kiera and GreenPath!

Hello Pedro,

Thank you do much for your praise! I am so pleased that you found our team to be helpful. CONGRATULATIONS on being so close to the end! What an incredible achievement!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 8, 2019

My fiancé had a lot of debt and we wanted to get that under control. I was looking for someone who could help us and I looked on the internet for the information. GreenPath could help us so we went with them. They did a debt management program and everything went great. The reps were perfect and I didn’t have any problems with them. The cost was fair and the payments were reasonable. We were able to finish early, so it was good. Working with GreenPath made the credit score of my fiancé go up quite a bit.

Hello Erica,

Congratulations on completing your program - and finishing early, in addition! Providing top notch service to our clients is a priority at GreenPath, so I am very happy to hear that that was your experience. Thank you so much for your kind words!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had credit card debt and I liked GreenPath’s good reputation. They provided service where they work with the credit card companies to get the interest rates down and I have to make payments. The online services were too much trouble for me. I have so much stuff to do at work on the internet and computer, and at home. I couldn't deal with it anymore and it was easier to make a phone call so I just called and asked what the balance was. Their customer service was fine and there was no problem. The payment plan was good although it was hard in the beginning. It was a large amount for me to put out. I couldn’t put it toward my student loan so that got behind. It’s over now and although we always think it’s too long when you owe money for something, the time it took to complete it was appropriate. The experience with them was great and I don’t have any complaints. I recommend them to other people.

Hello Nancy,

Absolutely right - the first few months of the program can be a difficult adjustment. I'm so glad you were able to stick it out and you found it worthwhile. We really believe in our Debt Management Program! I am happy that you had such a positive experience with us! (And I completely understand about being overwhelmed with computer stuff - sometimes a phone call is just easier!)

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I spoke with a few companies and I found GreenPath to be pretty good. So, I went with them. Enrolling with them was very easy and their process was thorough. The program enabled me to get caught up without getting further and further behind on interest rates. It also enabled me to get to a place where my credit score went up enough that I was able to get a 0%, over a long period of time, on interest rate. So, the program has been a tremendous help. I have completed it and it was fantastic.

Everybody I worked with at GreenPath was fantastic as well. But in the very beginning, they told me that if I got notices, I should just disregard them and not worry about paying anything that has passed due. They said they'd catch up with that. But that lowered my credit score by 80 points and I got so worried. So, that was very bad advice. And because of that, I missed two payments and those are the only two negative remarks still on my credit. I should've kept up the payments until things were switched over. But despite that, I'd still recommend GreenPath to others.

Hello Jeffrey,

I am so sorry - you should not have been told to disregard statements or to not worry about keeping up payments. We do let clients know that that is an option if they cannot afford to keep up payments and if they aren't concerned with their credit, but it should not have been presented to you as the only possibility.

I am so happy to hear that the program was a net positive, however. And it is true that as long as payments are consistent, credit scores tend to rise over the life of the program. A HUGE congratulations to you on completing the program! I am very glad it went well for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was told about GreenPath by my bank when I was applying for a personal loan to get out of debt. GreenPath was a much easier and painless avenue and I'm glad for their services. Rather than juggling different bills at different times while trying to coordinate paychecks, GreenPath simplified everything. From start to finish the people and process were honest, understanding and approachable. I am now consumer debt free and my credit score is higher. Many thanks to GreenPath!

Hello Timothy,

What a fantastic review - thank you so much! Honest, understanding, and approachable are definitely words that we love hearing associated with our team members. I am so happy the program went smoothly for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

GreenPath was so helpful in negotiating interest rates and a payment schedule with my creditors. I was able to pay down my debt in record time - even 6 months faster than we all thought possible. That has allowed me a great sense of accomplishment and tremendous peace of mind. I am now saving for retirement! Thank you GreenPath!

Hello Rosemary

CONGRATULATIONS not only on paying off your debt, but also saving for retirement! Amazing! And paying your debt off six months ahead of schedule? We are so happy for you!

Enjoy your peace of mind - very best of luck to you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Got out of debt at a consistent pace no missed payments. Any questions I had I just made a call and all folk at Greenpath helped me with a smile and encouragement!!! Would recommend Greenpath if anyone needed help in this area. Thank you again.

Hello Laurence

Thank you so much for being willing to recommend us to others - this give us the opportunity to help more people, which is what we are passionate about. I am happy to hear that your program went so smoothly. Congratulations on getting out of debt!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was in financial trouble. My credit union referred me to Greenpath and I used their debt consolidation program. I gave them all the information and they got to work immediately. They were on everything within the month and they provided me with good customer service. However, they switched me over to a different site when I was almost done with the program. I wasn't able to log online anymore as I had a hard time getting the four-digit code. The lady who I talked to was able to help me. She however told me that she was gonna email me my login information and a different pin but she never did. And I never followed up after that. But I'm already done with the program. I'm debt-free now and I’m happy that’s all behind me. I was paying $70 every two weeks which was expensive, but I was provided with services that I was happy with, as well as other additional ones if I needed it. I recommend Greenpath.

Hello Velda,

I am sorry there was a mix-up with the portal. We have been making improvements to our website, especially over the last two years, and it definitely got confusing for some of our clients. I'm sorry that you were one of them.

However, I am very pleased that you were happy with our service and that the program was a success for you! Congratulations on completing it! Wishing you the very best of luck!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My experience with GreenPath was flawless. Any time I had questions about my account or creditors, someone was there to answer my questions and help me make the best decisions for payoff journey. Getting things started was a bit cumbersome but that's to be expected when you're getting things in order to make a concerted effort to pay off a large amount of debt. The online chat option helped save me time when I needed questions answered - I didn't have to call in and wait on hold for a customer service agent. I have recommended GreenPath to several friends and they have taken advantage of the program and are also happy with the outcome. I was able to pay off $20,000+ in credit card debt in 4 years1, of course substantial payments were required each month but it was worth it.

Hello Brandi,

Thank you so much for recommending us to others! And how wonderful it is to hear that your experience with "flawless"!

Good idea to use the chat feature - we encourage all of our clients to active their portal so they can just chat with our representatives, which is very convenient.

Wishing you the best of luck going forward!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

A great, fairly painless way to get out of debt. There were no surprises as far as rates changing, etc. Everything that I was told would happen happened. I would recommend this program to anyone who is struggling to get out of debt.

Hello Sherrie,

Thank you for being willing to recommend others to us. I am so glad to hear that you found the program to be fairly painless and that nothing unexpected came up - that is just how we like the programs to go!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I was a client with the GreenPath Debt Consolidation program for three years. I have completed the task that was asked of me and it has been a blessing to me and my family. Thank you for opening my eyes to the path of financial freedom by managing my debts in timely manner. I will never forget what I learned and the professionalism you all brought to the table. Thanks for caring about me!

Hello Sharon,

You are very welcome - caring about our clients is what we do! Thank you for being a client with us and congratulations on paying your debts!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I think GreenPath is a great organization, pray I won't ever need them again, They did an awesome job, I have recommended them to a few others, cant say enough. I had one issue with accounts being paid off but kept receiving money from Green Path, in which they would send back to me, I just think they would have kept up with what was paid off a little better. If I had to use them again I would.

Hello Denise,

Thank you very, very much for recommending us to others. We are always happy to help!

The debt information we have for our clients can't be guaranteed to be 100% accurate - only the creditor knows for certain how much you owe. We continue paying debts until our system estimates that they are paid off, based on the information gathered at the start of the program. Usually it is accurate - every once in a while there are discrepancies, which is probably why we accidentally kept paying your creditor! Fortunately, we tend to catch these things pretty quickly - thank you for watching out on your end, and for your patience with that situation.

Congratulations on completing your program! Good luck going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I want to thank all people who worked with me about your great job. You helped me to achieve my goal to pay my debt. I am very thankful to all of you. I will definitely recommend people your company, because you do very good job.

Hello Nina,

Thank you for recommending people to us! We are passionate about helping others and we appreciate you helping us to be helpful!

CONGRATULATIONS on paying your debt! It's a great goal to have and it feels wonderful to achieve it. Good luck to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We just finished our deal with GreenPath. We are very happy with the results, we heartily recommend GreenPath. They have a very fair payment plan, it feels so good to have all those bills paid and all the calls have stopped, thanks so much GreenPath.

Hello Sam,

Thank you so much for recommending us! We truly appreciate it and we truly appreciate having you as a client. I am so happy to hear that the program has been working for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I had some credit card debts and GreenPath has an office here in Madison which I found on the internet. The enrollment process was pretty easy. I went out there and met with somebody. I tried to get some information and there were a couple of phone calls and we were pretty set. Everything has been very nice and everybody has been good. The program got me out of debt, was able to lower interest rates, and paid everything off. It feels good to be out of credit card debt. I would recommend them to a friend.

Hello Kristen,

Thank you in advance for any potential referrals to us! We would love to be able to help out people that you care about.

Congratulations on getting out of debt! Give yourself a pat on the back because we couldn't have done it without you! Wishing you the very best in the future!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg