4.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

402 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

GreenPath consolidated a couple of my credit cards and they've been paying them off, apparently. My balances on my credit cards have gone up from $500 to 726. Their representatives send you on a rabbit chase through their phones. And then they pretend they can't understand you. The lines are terrible, and I've not been able to talk to anyone about this problem. They have never contacted me. I thought I got a great plan, but I'm gonna switch it over because they've not been sticking to it. I hate them and I think they suck.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was not able to meet the minimum payments on my credit card and medical debts. The university I am going to recommended contacting GreenPath Financial Wellness to try to help with managing debt. I started with about 33,000 in debt and over the course from 2014 till this past month, I was able to pay off all of that amount with GreenPath's help. When I lost my job a few years ago, they were able to adjust the amount they were taking - from 950 a month to 750 - to accommodate that change in employment so that was really helpful. The cost was affordable and I would not have been able to get out from all of the debt without their help. Now I'm debt-free. I recommend Greenpath to everybody who I hear is struggling with debt. They're a much valuable service and more reliable than a lot of the other people who trick you into getting consolidation like debt consolidators.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I was in debt and I had a few credit cards that were a little bit high that I wanted to consolidate. I looked online and found GreenPath. When I gave them a call, they seemed willing to help so, I went with them. The reps were very helpful and the interaction was good. We started out with credit therapy and then, the guy we talked to told us about the consolidation. He helped us set it up and it was simple. He told us how much we would pay a month which was 225. It didn’t seem too bad compared to what I was paying with the credit cards monthly. We paid off the consolidation and we're done with it. So, cost-wise, it was good. It saved us money and they also lowered the interest on our credit cards.

Hello Diane,

WAY TO GO on completing your Debt Management Program and paying off your debts! Congratulations on the work and commitment it takes to be debt-free and work toward financial wellness.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with GreenPath. We are inspired by our clients and are so pleased to hear about how we have been part of their success.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I've been with this company for a little over 4 years, with the initial payoff target of Oct. 2019. Have to say they work with me, and I'm on road to payoff by Feb. 2019. Once you are on the program, and they have everything completed with the companies you have on the program, everything does go really smooth. Several occasions when I had a company paid off, they allocated the funds to pay off someone else. I've done some basic calculations and found out that I would save money and shorten my time if the funds was re-allocated to another company, so I called and asked them to start sending the surplus to another company. They accommodated my request.

Once your surplus exceeds half your payment, and if you get into a bind where you may need additional money, it is easier for you to skip a bi-weekly payment, or even reduce the payment (I tried to not do that, but there was several times I had to). But even though I did this, I'm still on target to have everyone paid off 8 months earlier. :-)

Hey Randy!

Congratulations to you as you get closer to your payoff date! It takes a lot of work, commitment, and some tough decisions to pay off debt and find the path to financial wellness. It is genuinely inspiring to watch our clients get there! I would like to highlight how awesome it is that you are such a strong partner in the Debt Management Program and look for ways to best handle situations and ask for what you need. This allows us to accommodate and help even more. Thank YOU!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and experience. We are so thrilled to hear the program is working well for you and you are happy with your experience.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We used GreenPath years ago when my husband first went overseas. We were building a house and GreenPath helped us to get it squared away. It went phenomenally. This time, it was harder to get it squared away with them. My husband came back from being overseas and our pay was reduced by $50,000. GreenPath provided their service where they took whatever debt we ask them to and consolidated it into two affordable months. They took money every other week out of our checks to help pay for it.

It was a little bit confusing in the beginning. It took them a while to get it squared away 'cause one of the credit cards was supposed to be done through GreenPath and there was a mix-up between GreenPath and one of the credit cards. So, for three months, we had to deal with that. But eventually, it got solved. The reps were nice and helpful. Also, the payment plan was reasonable. When my husband came home, it was a last minute decision. We hadn't squared away our finances before he decided he was done. So, the payment plan was helpful in the sense that it made us able to live on my husband's income in the states.

For what we paid for and for that being their expertise, we should not have had months of trying to get that one bill paid 'cause we kept getting late fees added on to that and we were not paying those because GreenPath has the bill and they were supposed to be paying them. For people that are brand new to GreenPath, it can be incredibly overwhelming with those kinds of mistakes. And once that got squared away, it was fine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had a lot of credit card debt and the interest was getting overwhelming. GreenPath seemed like a pretty good debt management program. Every time I deal with them, they're pleasant, very helpful, and they really explained things clearly. With their program, it lowered my interest rates quite a bit and it consolidated into some predictable monthly payments. It also gave me the option to pay it off should I have the funds available, which I eventually did, as opposed to other alternatives such as consolidation loans.

I have paid the program off. It was cheaper than just continuing to pay off my credit cards on my own with the higher interests rates that would have been charged to me dealing directly to credit card companies. GreenPath is a good organization. They're not out to make money but to provide a service. I would recommend them to other people in similar circumstances.

Hi Garry!

CONGRATULATIONS to you for completing your Debt Management Program and being debt-free! How amazing! GreenPath loves to be part of our client's success on their path to financial wellness. The tenacity and hard work of our clients is so inspiring!

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and experience with GreenPath. It means so much to us that you were pleased and it was a positive experience for you. You are why we do what we do.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I did debt consolidation through GreenPath and it was very helpful. They negotiated with the credit card company about the principal and the interest rate on my debts, and the interest was lowered. They came up with the number of years that I would be paying off and the monthly payments that I needed to pay. The majority of my payment went towards the principal, so that made it easier for me to pay off my debts.

Throughout the program, the GreenPath staff was extremely helpful and courteous, so I'm happy and satisfied with the service. I worked with several people over the years, but I had very minimal contact with them because their customer service through email was very efficient. But I realized that they charged $15 per credit card that I was paying off through them. It was minimal considering the high interest rate that I used to pay, but at the same time I had enough savings that I didn't have to use their service. So, I paid off all my credit card debts and let go of GreenPath. Nevertheless, I appreciate the option that I had through GreenPath and I hope that people will continue to use their service. Anyone suffering from high interest credit card debt should check them out.

Hello Ho-Soon,

Congratulations to you on paying off your debt! Changing and moving toward financial wellness is not always easy work and your dedication is inspiring. WAY TO GO!

As you had mentioned, there are often fees for a Debt Management Program (these vary per state regulations) and the amount of savings in interest and payment often well-exceeds the fee. It does save more money to pay it off early, though - we are always pleased when our clients have the ability to do this. How amazing you had SAVINGS to pay the rest of the debt. Savings is such a major part of a healthy budget and overall financial wellness. How fantastic!

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. GreenPath is so excited to be part of helping our clients achieve financial wellness and we are so happy it was a positive experience for you.

Thanks so much!

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had too much credit card debt so I called GreenPath and they seemed to be helpful. They were able to get me a good program, did settlements on the card and negotiated the interest down. They took a lump sum out of my account every month and used it to pay off the credit card. It was hard for me to get that amount every month but I was able to do it. I just paid the program off and working with them has really helped me to be less stressed out. Their staff was nice and the cost of their service was very much worth it. If anyone's having trouble with their budget and paying things off, they should try GreenPath.

Hi Carol!

CONGRATULATIONS on completing your Debt Management Program and doing the work it takes to commit to your financial wellness. This is not easy and your dedication is inspiring. Sincerely.

As you said, the Debt Management Program is designed to help pay your debt balances completely in full by sending a payment each month that is negotiated with the creditor (who then will often offer concessions to reduce interest rates and/or waive fees). This often saves so much in interest and how much you pay in the long run!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with GreenPath. We are so happy you had a positive experience with us. To hear that you felt less-stressed is the reason we do what we do - everyone deserves and has the right to financial education and financial wellness. We are so pleased you found it.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I was going into big surgeries and expecting serious medical bills. I had significant debts that I wanted to manage before I started getting all those bills. GreenPath was recommended by a friend and I'm very happy because their program worked perfectly. It was structured for me and it was great. They did intake and negotiated with the banks. They got a decent APR. I was paying them and they were paying the banks. I called them several times with some questions and they were always good and responsive. They were very informative and knew what they were doing. They were very good in explaining that my credit score might go down, but then it will go up. At this point, I'm done with the program and I've paid off my debts through them. It's a great service that GreenPath provides and I'm lucky I got into their circle.

Hi Maria!

Wow - how impressive that you took action based on anticipated expenses! That is a great budgeting tool - to prepare for what is ahead. CONGRATULATIONS on completing the Debt Management Plan and paying off your debt! This takes a lot of work and dedication and GreenPath is so happy to have been here to help you.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. GreenPath is very motivated by our clients and helping them achieve financial wellness. It helps us to always know where we are doing well and where we have opportunity to grow for the betterment of our clients.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

GreenPath helped me with the consolidation of my credit card debt. They were friendly and very helpful and the cost of their program was very reasonable. Now, I've paid off all of my debt off. Overall, GreenPath's a great company.

Hi Teresa!

Before I say anything else, let me APPLAUD your hard work and dedication in completing a Debt Management Program and improving your financial wellness. We are so grateful for the opportunity to help you with this and so inspired by what you have achieved.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with GreenPath. We are so amazingly happy to know it went well for you and you had a pleasant experience with our staff.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had too many credit card debts all at once, and GreenPath Financial Wellness was able to lower the general debt per month. I was done with them after about two years. They were helpful and their customer service was great. They were very easy to deal with and everything was positive. The cost was okay too because it did fulfill the need. It worked pretty good for the time being, and then when my debts got really small, and I only had one card, I paid everything off GreenPath.

Dear Curtis,

I am so glad we were able to help ease the process of debt repayment for you. It can be so difficult to manage multiple payments. It is our goal to give our clients an easy, straightforward experience.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and wish you well in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I did a big job change which took a big pay cut. So, I had a lot of high credit cards and I was paying them all on time but I was paying the minimum payments and the interest was adding up. I had at least 24,000 just in credit cards and I didn’t want my credit to get completely racked. At that point, I needed to think of a way to get them paid off and I thought that consolidation would be the best thing to do. When I spoke to my banker at Bank of America, he suggested to call GreenPath, so I did.

Everyone that I spoke with or dealt with at GreenPath was awesome. The rep that signed me up was absolutely amazing. I called several times as well because I wanted to put extra money on my account and they made everything so easy. And all my bills got paid. They called the credit card companies and negotiated an interest rate. Then based on what my salary was, I would pay GreenPath so they could pay the credit cards off for me. Also, I recently relocated out-of-state and I was worried that my credit was destroyed. But I didn’t need extra deposits for anything and my credit score’s still standing in good terms.

Aside from that, I was mostly impressed with the communication that GreenPath have with their clients. Any time that they would communicate that they paid off something, they would also tell you that you need to call your creditor and double check. They would send you a text message as well if you signed up for that and they would send you an email. You could log-in to your portal, too, if you wanted and they would give you all the tools that you needed. So everything that they did was consistent across the board.

Other than that, I was never tracked back. I owed 4,000 in one card and I ended up paying it all off. Even when I did that, they told me that I still got three left and that they would call and see what the final rate was. Then someone else called me back and told me my final payment. They were transparent through the whole process and I was not left in the dark. I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. I would tell them that from what I experienced, they were easy to work with and I was never stressed out.

Dear Stefanie,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am extremely pleased to read about your experience with us. Consistent communication and transparency are very important to us, so I am so happy to hear that you experienced these things with us.

We are honored to have been able to help you through your program. Thank you for being our client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I wanted to get on track financially and pay some bills off. And the enrollment process with GreenPath took about 40 minutes. It was a phone call and I told them what my income was, what my bills were and what I spend on different things. Their reps were good. They answered all my questions and were very efficient. But when you call them, you can never get in contact with anybody. They always have to call back. It would be good if when you call, you’re on hold for a minute or two then you get someone versus waiting for a callback.

Other than that, it was fine. When I called, everyone could help me. I didn’t have to wait for one specific person. Everyone knew the answers. They took their time and found out what the problem was or addressed my concerns. In the end, all my bills were paid off and they actually gave me money so it was great. I would recommend GreenPath for people who are trying to get on track and don’t wanna have to constantly pay several different bills. It’s like GreenPath withdrew it and made sure the bills are paid.

Hi Danetta!

First, a HUGE congratulations to you for paying off your debt! It takes work, patience, and dedication to reach financial goals and you are to be applauded!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. At GreenPath we are so motivated by the success stories of our clients! We also appreciate hearing about experiences that could be better. This provides us the opportunity to determine ways we can work to provide a better client experience.

You had mentioned when you called in for maintenance, you did not mind talking with different people because they all helped? So that is GREAT! I am so pleased to hear that. We have designed our Client Success Team to help immediately so Clients do not have to wait as long on hold and get answers from anyone! I am so glad to hear you had a good experience with that. You are accurate about getting hold of an Expert - it can be difficult to get a hold of an Expert again and they often do have to call back. Most of the Expert's day is dedicated to completing educational sessions with our clients and to being sure they are truly meeting their Client's needs. Often, if someone is calling for an Expert, they may be in a session and might need to call the client back. I do know waiting for a callback is not always easy, especially if we are on the run and have things to do in our busy life! As the Quality Manager, I am always looking for ways to improve the client experience and I am considering this feedback while determining if there are ways to improve our services.

Please let me know of your ideas! Again, thank you so much!

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

There was a thing that I signed up to and it signed me up for GreenPath. I had to set up a payment plan and take money out of my account. Everything was outstanding. The representative helped me with everything. He explained everything to me good, on how long everything is supposed to take, when the pay off process was gonna be.

I was trying to get my debt cleaned up and sort of budgeting and working with them made a lot of impact on my life. I don’t have to worry about having defaults on my credit or collections on my credit. It was good. They’re good financial-wise, and with helping you in getting your credits straight, and help you get better finances.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your review, and thank you for letting us help you on the road to being debt-free! I am happy that you had a good experience with us and that you had a positive takeaway.

We wish you the very best in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I needed help with my finances and I called GreenPath Financial Wellness. They asked if I wanted to sign up. I said yes then we went through everything. It was a couple of years ago that I enrolled and now, I'm finished with the process. They gave a timeline and we met it, and the program lowered everything for me. That was a benefit for me and GreenPath can help you too.

Hello Darrel,

First, let me say CONGRATULATIONS on completing the Debt Management Program and being rid of your debt! This takes a lot of hard work, tough decisions, and commitment. We offer education and programs to help empower people toward financial wellness but our clients are the ones that put it into action! I am so happy to hear we helped you. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know of your experience with GreenPath. We absolutely LOVE hearing the positive experiences of our clients - we are all very moved and motivated by successes of our clients.

Thank you!

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

We were getting overhead with credit card bills and we didn’t know what else to do. My mom went through GreenPath and she as well as other people said they really trusted them in helping them with their affairs, so I thought we’d give it a try. They helped us a lot. We were really happy with GreenPath. They were friendly and if we had any problems, I would call them and they would answer my questions and make me feel better.

GreenPath put all our credit cards together and came up with a price. Enrolling with them was easy. We filled out the application and we went through our credit union because they dealt with them. I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. They're excellent and they did really well on everything. They gave me very good support. Our financial concern is looking a lot better, too.

Dear Vicki,

Please thank your mom for referring you to us! It has been our pleasure to be able to help you through your journey to being debt-free! It makes me so happy to hear that any time you called in we were able to help you to feel better. This is the culture we strive for at GreenPath and it feels wonderful to see our clients experiencing it.

Best wishes to you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I had a few bad debts and I didn't want to file for bankruptcy. At the time, I heard from GreenPath because they went to my job and we had information from them. Also, I had a friend who was with them already, and I decided to call and join as well. They were very friendly and they looked helpful. They also gave me the impression that they would help me and I would finish paying all my debts successfully, and it happened. I was with them for years and I have completed the program. They did an excellent job for me and I was impressed with the way that they managed my accounts. I was so happy that even my daughter joined them. In fact, she is still with them and she is also so happy with GreenPath.

They used to pay the bills every month for me and when I receive the statement from the company, I saw the payment that they made. Then, they sent me complete information of the payments that they made to my accounts. I also felt comfortable to call them back if I needed any information and sometimes when I called, I knew that they were busy and it took a little while for them to call me back. But I didn't think that that would be a problem. I was very satisfied with GreenPath.

Dear Elsie,

Thank you so much for your review, and THANK YOU for referring your daughter to us! I am so glad that we have been able to help both if you out.

We do our best to make the process as easy and also as transparent as we can to our clients. I am happy that your experience has been a positive one! Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I was trying to get my credit cards paid off and Chase Bank suggested GreenPath when I asked them about it. The enrollment was all online. I filled out the information and then we talked about as far as how much I could afford a month. Then when I was able to, I'd pay more than that a month. Going forward, I pretty much have a good handle on it. The whole process was extremely easy and I did the automatic payment so it was streamlined. Last month, I did my last payment. I got all the credit cards paid off which was awesome and it was within my budget because, otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to get them paid off. It would have just kept on compounding.

I was impressed that GreenPath was willing to help me because I've tried some of the other companies and they won't do anything for you because they're losing money. I didn't want to declare bankruptcy because I want to pay off my bill. I didn't want to say I wasn't going to pay it off and there was no way to do that without Greenpath's help. They did an excellent job and they helped me get my budget back on course.

Dear Michele,

I am so pleased that we were able to help you. I am sorry that you felt you were out of options with other companies, but I am very happy that your path crossed with ours. It is our pleasure to be able to assist our clients. Thank you so much for your feedback!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had too many credit cards and I needed to consolidate and pay them off. Someone referred me to GreenPath and they had a good enrollment process. I went to the office and met with their representative. The interactions I had with their reps were very beneficial. When I was getting ready to pay out, there was a mix-up on what creditors they had paid off. GreenPath thought they paid off some of them, and there was still a remaining balance that I wasn’t aware of. There was one account that was $1,000, and I was told that it was paid off. But the creditor kept calling me and I ended up having to deal with the creditor and pay them that $1,000. I felt a little frustrated, but other than that, GreenPath's service was great. I'm grateful for their assistance. They helped me become debt-free and stay disciplined as well.

Dear LaToya,

Whenever a debt is showing as paid off in our system, we send out communication to clients, urging you to contact your creditor and verify the payoff amount. If this was not made clear to you, I sincerely apologize.

I am happy that things went smoothly aside from that! We are passionate about helping people on their journeys to being debt-free. Congratulations on going through the program - it is no small feat!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I went through GreenPath's enrollment process thinking that I would get the interest rate lowered and then I didn't have to worry about making the payments. I was with a credit union, so there was no cost of the program to me, and that worked out great. The reps really made seamless contact although every once in a while, I would have to call them about something. As far as spreadsheets and due dates, it was up to the creditors what they agreed to and negotiating a price with me really wasn’t an option. Nevertheless, GreenPath did a good job with the payment and with getting my interest rates lowered, and I was really happy with their service. Everything paid off and hopefully, it stays that way.

Dear Kevin,

Congratulations on getting everything paid off! I am very glad to hear that you had a positive experience with us. We also hope that everything stays paid off for you. If you ever need assistance, please get in touch!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My enrolment process with GreenPath went smoothly. I had a single representative when I first called them and everything went fairly well. After I went through the process and saw the figure they came up with, I knew I had gotten myself in that predicament so I just had to make it happen. In terms of the cost of the program compared to the quality of service from GreenPath, I didn’t have a problem with it. However, I've had a lot of stress and a phone that rings night and day, and I've only been working with them for a month. Still, I would recommend them.

Dear Jesse,

I have some good news for you: the first month or two are usually the toughest with the Debt Management Program. So those stressful phone calls should start to taper off soon. I am happy that you feel our services are worth the cost. We will work hard to ensure you continue feeling this way going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bank with PNC Bank and they highly recommended GreenPath. But there was a little bit of a hang-up in the beginning. There were certain restrictions on who GreenPath could communicate with. They couldn't get over the hurdle and communicate with the bank about the minutia of the negotiation of what could be paid, when it could be paid and how it was gonna be paid. That was the only frustration that I had. At least, it was this way several years ago. There was a lot that fell on the client to communicate to the people at the bank and the people at the company. Then of course, people at the bank and people at GreenPath would ask a question but because I’m not a banker and I don’t work for GreenPath, I didn't always have the answer to those.

It was very difficult to get on the same page with everybody. I didn’t understand why there wasn’t a better working relationship, because it was a referral, as far as communications between the bank and GreenPath. The back and forth became aggravating because there was only so much information, even with me being a person who does his research and his due diligence. It would have been easier if GreenPath could pick up the phone, talk to the person who was handling my debt and work some of those things out. Then they could communicate with me as the third-party and say what result they had come to then ask if I was happy with that. That would have been a much more seamless transition in process.

All the while, I was also having to make payments and those were larger payments than I could really afford at that time. But I saw the value in the company and thankfully, after a couple of weeks of back and forth, and phone tags, we finally got the right people from my bank to communicate with GreenPath. Everything was able to be finalized in quotes, prices and interests rates. Then it was a smooth process ever since. Once the ball got rolling, they were great. GreenPath is a great company and they do a great job of what they do.

In the beginning, there was also one person who ran things pretty well. But then I lost contact with him or he didn’t get back until it was done. Then we got put through to somebody else and they had a different way of doing things. Still, GreenPath was really flexible as far as getting a manageable payment. The bi-weekly pay schedule was hard for us but that was understandable as well. If the bank was only gonna accept X amount of dollars and GreenPath was trying to get it lower than that then you have to get that negotiation process where the bank is okay with paying X amount of dollars every month. So GreenPath did a good job in trying to meet the needs of the customer while at the same time, being able to do what they’re allowed to do by way of having to deal with the bank.

The cost was also fair and the quality was definitely worth the money. The service definitely helped me. Even in getting all of my debt paid off and getting married, I spoke with a consultant who helped me get everything finalized. They also offered services for future banking, getting our budget and paying what was lined up for me and my future wife. So the outcome, or the juice, is worth the squeeze. I’m going into a marriage consumer debt-free. The only things I have are student loan debts because I went to law school. That’s all I am carrying with me and GreenPath helped me do that.

Dear Joshua,

Yes, with PNC bank, they do require a hand-signed release in order to process a proposal. This can make the initial process with PNC a little laborious, we understand. This is simply the policy that PNC has.

Additionally, it is often the case that the first few weeks of the program are the toughest. However, I am glad that we were able to get all the creases ironed out in the end. I am very sorry for the difficulties in the interim.

I am happy that it was an overall positive experience. Going into marriage with no consumer debt is a huge accomplishment and you are due a huge congratulations on that!

I wish you the very best going forward! Please know that we are here to help should the need arise in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I was making all my payments on time on everything but I was using all my income for that and didn’t have anything left. I was talking to a credit union person when I was making a payment and she suggested I get GreenPath's services. She told me a lot of her members use them. So I called them and the enrollment was very easy. Somebody gave me a call in the evening and we went through everything. She asked me everything that I owed and let me know that all the credit cards that I had would be stopped, which I understood.

GreenPath provided me with consolidation services. They called all my creditors, stopped the interest from piling up, then took payments out of my paycheck every two weeks and paid my bills. I didn’t have to worry about anything. And the program made me debt-free. My rep was wonderful and she gave me recommendations on who to contact to do my taxes as well as other references that would help me. Also, everybody was really friendly. Any time I called customer service, everyone was knowledgeable and gave me the right answers.

Working with GreenPath was life changing. They were very easy to work with and with them, you will no longer be stressed. They do everything for you and you just have to provide them what checks you have as far as debts go and they take it on from there. Working with them also made me realize that I cannot be opening credit cards everywhere.

Dear Mary,

What a wonderful review, thank you so much! I love reading that you seemed to have a great experience every step of the way. Debt management programs can be tough, so I cannot tell you how glad I am that you found the process easy. We do our best to provide this to our clients.

We are so pleased to have been able to help you and I wish you the very best going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I wanted to consolidate some credit cards that I have and a friend recommended me to GreenPath. It was four years ago when I enrolled. I had an interview and we went over the amount that I was paying for so they can come up with a plan. The enrollment process was simple and the customer service skill of the rep that I worked with was really good. GreenPath helps me pay my credit cards and every time I call, they help me right away and they answer the questions I have. The program has worked really good. If you have some debts, GreenPath is a really good way to consolidate them and get the help that you need. They went over my expenses to see how much I would be able to pay a month. I had an auto payment directly deposited and the cost was great. Everybody was very knowledgeable in what they were doing. It was always excellent service with them.

Dear Jeanett,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy that you had a good experience with us and that you found our team to be helpful and knowledgeable. Paying off debt can be stressful, so we always do our best to provide the best service in order to alleviate that stress as much as possible.

Wishing you the very best going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I was referred to GreenPath by my credit union and initially things seemed wonderful. I paid the 50 fee to begin but then was contacted by email explaining that another 50 fee would need to be paid or some of my creditors would not be paid. Ok, so I paid the additional 50.00 bucks thinking things would be good from that point. A 2 months later I am receiving notices from my creditors explaining that payment has not been made. I contact GreenPath who explain that, "Oh you have to continue making your payments in addition to paying through GreenPath to avoid fees." This of course was NOT explained to me in the beginning and now I have so many fees. Things are worse than when I began.

This company is 100% responsible for this error and I am so upset the rep is not required to explain things more thoroughly when people come to this company because they truly need help. I called today and requested to cancel the service because I truly believe I am better off. As many positive reviews I have seen for this company I can honestly say I am very disappointed.

Hello Martyia,

Thank you so much for your review. Although we do not like to hear poor experiences, we do take them very seriously in order to coach our staff appropriately so we can be sure things like this do not happen. You should not be feeling this way, especially when you came to us for relief. I am so sorry this was your experience.

You are absolutely correct, you should have understood these expectations from the beginning. I reviewed your account and it appears the fees were not calculated into your initial deposit - this is completely our error. Additionally, it is required for our staff to explain that until a creditor accepts a proposal, paying the difference in payment is important if you are up to date and do not want to fall behind. It is not that a double payment is needed, it is that if a creditor was requiring $30 per month, and we are offering $20 per month, until the proposal is accepted, you may want to pay the extra $10 per month until they offer the concession of a reduced payment. If someone is already behind on their debts, this sometimes does not matter as much. Some creditors will actually reage the account (where it is brought up to date and fees are not charged) but this really depends on the creditor.

Either way, this should have all been explained to you and I am sorry to hear it was not. Please feel free to contact me directly. I am happy to help in anything you might need - perhaps a credit report review or perhaps we can discuss this situation further to help you.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Four years ago, I did some research and saw some good reviews for GreenPath. The enrollment process was easy and helpful. The first rep who set my account up was really helpful and walked me through the process. I thought she was great. Thereafter, whenever I talked to people throughout the years, they were all very helpful. They gave me guidance and helped me put together a reasonable payment amount. They asked me a lot of questions about where I could make cuts so that we can have more money go towards the payment. Also, they talked to me about different things in my budget that they felt were unnecessary or considered luxuries. Their team also helped lower the interest rates and that was the big thing. It didn't necessarily reduce how much I was paying each month, but that much more of my money was going to the balance rather than just paying interest.

GreenPath has a good system so anybody can go in the computer and pull up your file and you don't have to talk to a specific person. However, for the first three years that I was with them, it was a little frustrating that you had to call in and talk to somebody. Still, in the last six months, they've switched over to a new portal and I was really impressed with it. They've made it better by making my account more accessible online and you can now go in and see how much money you still owe.

Dear Dawn,

THANK YOU for your feedback on our Portal. We have worked hard on it and all with the purpose of trying to create a better, more streamlined client experience. We also take a lot of pride in having team members who take good care of our clients, so I am very pleased to hear you have had positive experiences.

We appreciate your review. Please let us know if we can help you in any way in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

GreenPath helped me through a very difficult time in which I was drowning in credit card debt. I was crying and felt overwhelmed most of the time. They came through for me by getting interest rates reduced and working with creditors. After four years the end is in sight!!!

Dear Sharon,

Congratulations on being so close to finishing your program! How exciting! We are so happy that we were able to assist you along the way. Thank you very much for your review.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My auntie passed away and none of my family wanted to take her kids, so I took her kids on top of my own kid. That was a real struggle in my life. I tried with a hardship program and it would seem that I never qualified. I looked into debt consolidation knowing that two of my bills ran into collection. GreenPath took a couple of my cards and calculated everything. I was with them for almost two years and I just paid the last one last month. All of the reps that I talked to in these last two years were amazing. They always tried to work with me. They understood my situation, and they went right in and helped. Even when I didn't give them statements, they showed that all the bills were taken care of. They helped me a lot in times of need and now my credit score is going up.

Dear Trina,

I am so pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience with us at GreenPath. We know that our clients come from a variety of situations and we really do strive to work with everyone. You deserve all the praise for your hard work in your life and with this program!

Please let us know if we can help you in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I went to my bank and I was trying to do a debt consolidation, and they referred me to Greenpath. I called and Greenpath got my information about my debts and set up a payment arrangement. I worked with a lot of reps, but the main one that I worked with helped me get things set up. When I was short of money, they helped me push back sometimes with the payment and that helped me out a lot. Now I’m debt free and and working with them has brought my credit score up. Everything worked out well and the experience was great.

Dear Anita,

Thank you for letting us know how things went with your program! We do do our best to give clients as much flexibility as possible with payments. I am so glad that everything worked out for you and that you had a positive experience.

Very best wishes!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had a lot of debt and I needed to fix my credit fast because I was trying to buy a home, and that was keeping me back. I asked GreenPath if they could help me pay off the debt that I have with all these different collectors, and they put them all together and I paid a monthly payment, and it was distributed to every one of them. GreenPath's reps were awesome. Every time I called, they were polite. They answered any questions I had, they would check up on me, and they would send me anything that I requested. There was only one time that some guy had a sour attitude, but overall, everybody was very helpful.

I liked the process but then the end was a bummer because I thought I was done. I called and checked up on it to see if I was done, and I was told multiple times that I was. It was fantastic and I was happy. But I checked my credit from Credit Karma and it still showed that I had two collectors still on my credit. So, I waited, and then they were still there. They stopped distributing my payments to one of them. And then, they said they overlooked one, so I still had payments on it. So, I wasn’t done. And no one got back to me or notified me. Whoever is handling the case, I wish they would treat it like their own and make sure they had double looked if necessary to avoid situations like I had. Other than that, I recommended GreenPath to many people.

Hello David,

Thank you so much for your glowing review! We are so pleased to have been able to help you along on your journey.

When a debt is marked in our system as being paid off, we send a notification out to our clients, advising that you call your creditor to ensure that you have no outstanding balance. This should have been clearly communicated to you and if it was not, I am very sorry for it.

It seems like there was a happy ending, however, and I am truly glad for that. Our doors are always open if you feel you need additional advice in the future.

Very best wishes to you,

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg