4.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

458 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 3, 2019

My previous relationship got me into some deep debt and it was kinda hard to get out of by myself so I looked for some guidance and some debt management. GreenPath was very helpful and cutting the interest rate was huge. I was able to manage it, and they worked with me to come up with a plan to do so. They set me up a fine and manageable payment plan because they listened to what I had, they looked over my bills at that time and worked with me. They didn’t leave me in such a bind to where I couldn't eat. I was pretty limited, but I knew into going to it. They didn’t put me in a pinch to where it was that uncomfortable.

In the beginning, my interactions with their reps were great. The guy who helped me set up everything was fine. He was very thorough and made sure everything was in order. There were no hitches along the way and I very seldom had to call for anything. But towards the end, I was calling often because I was paying off a lot more than what my normal was and I took the initiative to tell them to take out extra deposits. I had to deal with a different rep every time because it was like a call center. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn’t, but most of the time, it did. Some people were ready to talk fast and move on to the next person.

I also got a few instances that they wanted to do what they wanted to do versus what I wanted to do with my money. But other than that, it all worked out. I had access to them whenever I needed and luckily, I didn’t hit anything along the way because everything kept working out fine. I would recommend GreenPath. They were a big relief because they did the payments and did the work. They took out money, so I was aware of it each month and I just kept watching the balance go down. They gave me peace of mind and it added comfort just knowing I wasn’t the only one dealing with the problem anymore. It was a big weight off someone’s shoulders.

Hello Donna,

Debt can be so overwhelming. I am very happy that we were able to help you pay it off in a manageable way. That is just how the program is supposed to work! Congratulations on completing the program!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Well, I've reached the end of my GreenPath journey, which feels odd, as I feel like I've been paying money towards these debts my entire life (in reality it was about 12 years). My debts were predominantly medical, based around not working after an accident, going through depression and stress, adding up mismanagement of credit cards in my 20s, and pure denial that I needed to deal with the rising bills. I was told about GreenPath through a family friend, and an account was created for me in which I could pay off various bills slowly, and GreenPath would handle the damage; the threatening phone calls, the intimidating reminders in the mail.

As I changed jobs and my salaries grew, so did the amounts I was able to put through GreenPath. Originally $20 here and there, then $40 a week, then $60, then paying whole bills outright. The process is by no means easy; you still need to double check collection letters you get to see amounts (together myself and a GreenPath representative were able to find discrepancies in bills I was receiving in my favor), you need to save everything you get by email or mail for taxes and oversight, and if you overdraw on your account, you get penalized for it.

But the program WORKS. I didn't feel shamed by my debt, I was able to contact GreenPath at any time to ask about certain withdrawals, or how much I still had left to pay, or even if I could pay something outright because I had the extra funds that week. It helped me immensely to see these high numbers going lower and lower each week, and I really love on the new website how you were able to track your goals and see the calendar that showed when you had to pay and when you would receive a fresh statement.

I can grieve and be sad for the foolish choices I made with my money or the predatory cards I signed up for, but that's not GreenPath's fault. They're there to make an already stressful situation easier. I am debt free except for student loans. What that means is I can solely focus on bringing those numbers down, and I have the skill and tools to do it. I can also look back on who I was as a person and how I handled money when I started, and who I am now and how much has changed. I am grateful for this program, and I would recommend it to anyone. There is hope, and you don't need to be ashamed or scared you'll never get out of debt. You will.

Hello Leanne,

It probably does feel odd to have so much debt paid off - but in the best of ways! Congratulations on completing your program! It is such an incredible accomplishment!

You are NOT alone in having found yourself with more debt than you ever intended to get into. It is something that could easily happen to anyone. This is why we are so passionate about helping people pay off debt at GreenPath. You're absolutely right - it isn't easy. But the hard work you put in really paid off.

Congratulations again! Very best of luck to you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I did a big job change which took a big pay cut. So, I had a lot of high credit cards and I was paying them all on time but I was paying the minimum payments and the interest was adding up. I had at least 24,000 just in credit cards and I didn’t want my credit to get completely racked. At that point, I needed to think of a way to get them paid off and I thought that consolidation would be the best thing to do. When I spoke to my banker at Bank of America, he suggested to call GreenPath, so I did.

Everyone that I spoke with or dealt with at GreenPath was awesome. The rep that signed me up was absolutely amazing. I called several times as well because I wanted to put extra money on my account and they made everything so easy. And all my bills got paid. They called the credit card companies and negotiated an interest rate. Then based on what my salary was, I would pay GreenPath so they could pay the credit cards off for me. Also, I recently relocated out-of-state and I was worried that my credit was destroyed. But I didn’t need extra deposits for anything and my credit score’s still standing in good terms.

Aside from that, I was mostly impressed with the communication that GreenPath have with their clients. Any time that they would communicate that they paid off something, they would also tell you that you need to call your creditor and double check. They would send you a text message as well if you signed up for that and they would send you an email. You could log-in to your portal, too, if you wanted and they would give you all the tools that you needed. So everything that they did was consistent across the board.

Other than that, I was never tracked back. I owed 4,000 in one card and I ended up paying it all off. Even when I did that, they told me that I still got three left and that they would call and see what the final rate was. Then someone else called me back and told me my final payment. They were transparent through the whole process and I was not left in the dark. I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. I would tell them that from what I experienced, they were easy to work with and I was never stressed out.

Dear Stefanie,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am extremely pleased to read about your experience with us. Consistent communication and transparency are very important to us, so I am so happy to hear that you experienced these things with us.

We are honored to have been able to help you through your program. Thank you for being our client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bank with PNC Bank and they highly recommended GreenPath. But there was a little bit of a hang-up in the beginning. There were certain restrictions on who GreenPath could communicate with. They couldn't get over the hurdle and communicate with the bank about the minutia of the negotiation of what could be paid, when it could be paid and how it was gonna be paid. That was the only frustration that I had. At least, it was this way several years ago. There was a lot that fell on the client to communicate to the people at the bank and the people at the company. Then of course, people at the bank and people at GreenPath would ask a question but because I’m not a banker and I don’t work for GreenPath, I didn't always have the answer to those.

It was very difficult to get on the same page with everybody. I didn’t understand why there wasn’t a better working relationship, because it was a referral, as far as communications between the bank and GreenPath. The back and forth became aggravating because there was only so much information, even with me being a person who does his research and his due diligence. It would have been easier if GreenPath could pick up the phone, talk to the person who was handling my debt and work some of those things out. Then they could communicate with me as the third-party and say what result they had come to then ask if I was happy with that. That would have been a much more seamless transition in process.

All the while, I was also having to make payments and those were larger payments than I could really afford at that time. But I saw the value in the company and thankfully, after a couple of weeks of back and forth, and phone tags, we finally got the right people from my bank to communicate with GreenPath. Everything was able to be finalized in quotes, prices and interests rates. Then it was a smooth process ever since. Once the ball got rolling, they were great. GreenPath is a great company and they do a great job of what they do.

In the beginning, there was also one person who ran things pretty well. But then I lost contact with him or he didn’t get back until it was done. Then we got put through to somebody else and they had a different way of doing things. Still, GreenPath was really flexible as far as getting a manageable payment. The bi-weekly pay schedule was hard for us but that was understandable as well. If the bank was only gonna accept X amount of dollars and GreenPath was trying to get it lower than that then you have to get that negotiation process where the bank is okay with paying X amount of dollars every month. So GreenPath did a good job in trying to meet the needs of the customer while at the same time, being able to do what they’re allowed to do by way of having to deal with the bank.

The cost was also fair and the quality was definitely worth the money. The service definitely helped me. Even in getting all of my debt paid off and getting married, I spoke with a consultant who helped me get everything finalized. They also offered services for future banking, getting our budget and paying what was lined up for me and my future wife. So the outcome, or the juice, is worth the squeeze. I’m going into a marriage consumer debt-free. The only things I have are student loan debts because I went to law school. That’s all I am carrying with me and GreenPath helped me do that.

Dear Joshua,

Yes, with PNC bank, they do require a hand-signed release in order to process a proposal. This can make the initial process with PNC a little laborious, we understand. This is simply the policy that PNC has.

Additionally, it is often the case that the first few weeks of the program are the toughest. However, I am glad that we were able to get all the creases ironed out in the end. I am very sorry for the difficulties in the interim.

I am happy that it was an overall positive experience. Going into marriage with no consumer debt is a huge accomplishment and you are due a huge congratulations on that!

I wish you the very best going forward! Please know that we are here to help should the need arise in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: July 19, 2019

I had an aunt who used GreenPath and she referred my mother to their services, then my mother referred them to me. I was with them for five years and everything was taken care of. I’m very happy for that. The situation gave me the freedom from the financial burden that I had. I also really like the way they work. The representative I worked with put everything in perspective, what to expect, how it was gonna be paid and the timeframe on it. She gave me all the details for me not to have any questions or worries that things would be wrong. Everything went smoothly. They also worked very well with me on the payment plan. I got the statements and the payments were done.

Original review: July 14, 2019

My bank recommended me the GreenPath Financial Wellness. Originally, I talked to a counselor that send me a contract. After reviewing the contract I decided to go along with it even though some of promises for low payments / interest rate and getting out of debt early seemed like a good choice. The day of my payment I noticed that I was billed an extra $269.00. I reviewed my contract this additional $ 269.00 was not mentioned anywhere.

I called customer service and explained that in the contract there was no mentioned of such a fees. And if that fee did not get deleted by the end of the day I would cancel the contract. In addition I asked a freeze in my account activity. By the end of the day the $269.00 had been removed. I checked my account yesterday and I noticed an additional $220.00 charged. Still nothing being mentioned into contract regarding this extra fee. The moral of the story: If it is too good to be true it probably isn’t. I advice our potential new clients to be aware of working with this organization. Their practices are unethical and predatory.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I freed out of a tremendous amount of debt. I was put on a plan that I could handle and the money got taken care of in a timely fashion. I couldn’t have done that without GreenPath. The enrollment process was very simple. It was said how they were gonna disburse some money to the cards and what I had to do to get started. They answered all my questions and were very upfront with stuff. They explained what was gonna happen over the long term and what the fees were gonna be. The payment plan was also very good and flexible. There were a couple of times that I wanted to increase the amount and they were always accommodating to my needs. They helped me with automatic payments and transfers. The representatives I worked with were informed and personable. The service was excellent. What I got was worth every dime I paid. I’m happy with it.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I found GreenPath on the internet and called them and talked to them. They sounded like they would be good to work with, and they were. They took the debt that we had and helped pay them off. We had to give them all of our different account information and decide on the payment. And then, they did an automatic payment every month, and it was just set up like that. We were assigned a person that handled our case, and they were always there for us if we had any questions. The program took about three and a half years, and we've already settled our debt. Comparing GreenPath to other debt companies, I would prefer them. I would recommend them over anybody else.

Dear Karen,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy to hear that we gave you a pleasant experience. Getting your debt paid off must feel wonderful!

Please get in touch if there is anything we can help you with going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: June 20, 2019

I had worked with GreenPath previously when they had a different name, and I had a very good experience. I also had a very good experience this time, so I knew that I could trust them with my information and the things that I needed them to do. I got them for debt consolidation and paying things off, and they were able to do that and we got it done. I met with an adviser, we went over all of my debt and how to consolidate it, we set up a plan and it went very well. Every time I talked to somebody, they were always very pleasant and very helpful. After going through the whole process, I have a whole lot more disposable income and I get to have fun with my money. I really enjoyed working with them, and I would work with them again in the future if I needed to.

Dear Linda,

I am very happy to hear that you had a good experience with us, not once, but twice! Congratulations on finishing the program - isn't it nice to have that extra money now that it's over?

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: June 19, 2019

I had to pull my credit report and submit it to GreenPath, and it was a good program. They were very kind and nice, and they helped me a lot. The payment plan took some months, but it was easy.

Dear Sabra,

We do try our best to make it easy for you, even if it does take a while! Thank you so much for your feedback and thank you for being our client.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: June 18, 2019

Our credit union recommended GreenPath and we went with them. The enrollment process was very quick and easy to do. GreenPath helped us by consolidating the major credit cards that we had with them. They helped us come up with the amount and arranged a payment we could live with monthly. I sort of had the idea when I started. When we sold our house, we would use part of the equity to pay off the debt which we did. But GreenPath had a manageable figure and we worked it on our budget.

Once we started the program, everything was done over the internet. We didn't talk to anybody until we got ready to finalize and close out the account. We completed the program. We’re debt-free of credit card things. That was the goal. We paid them off about a month ago. We were pleased with GreenPath. They were very receptive to our needs and made it work.

Dear Stephen,

Congratulations on being able to pay off your debt! What a good use of equity! Thank you so much for letting us know how the program went for you. We appreciate you as a client and we appreciate your feedback.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: June 14, 2019

GreenPath was awesome. I had an old debt that was in collection status and I needed a little help with it. I heard about GreenPath through an old co-worker that was using them as well. She said it took her about two years to get back on her feet, and they did just that. I called GreenPath's number and they asked questions just to get an idea of what type of debt I had and the amount. They explained to me the amount that they worked with which is $300 and more. Everything under that, I would have to make arrangements with myself. I did, one creditor at a time, and I paid it off that way. Once they got all of my bills together and had my income information, they did a little math and came up with what would be comfortable for me every month. The payment came out of my account every month automatically. They took it from there and distributed it to all the creditors.

They were very professional and answered all my questions. They were there when I needed them. I worked with several representatives and I was impressed by how quick they were in gathering everything, doing that initial call, and giving me an idea of what it would be monthly. The phone call lasted maybe 20 minutes and that was really cool. However, the queues are backed up when you call so you have a little bit of a wait. But then they do have the function or the option to put whatever number for them to call you back. That works too.

Dear Tracy,

We are so pleased to have given you such a positive experience. It sounds like everything went just according to plan for your Debt Management Program!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you in the future - we truly appreciate having you as a client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 30, 2019

GreenPath helped me get out of debt. I enrolled in their program online and every step was easy. They told me everything I had to do and I didn't have to search for anything. I sent them the creditors and we worked out a solution to what was gonna be beneficial for me as far as what I was gonna pay. The monthly bill also suited me.

Everything was perfect. The customer service reps were always available and when I spoke to a person, they were on point and they led me in the right direction. Everything I needed to know when I called, they helped me. Everybody I interacted with was cordial and nice. The rep had patience and she talked me through a lot of things, especially telling me that this should be a learning experience for me, and it was. They had me covered and I wasn't worried about anything. The GreenPath program taught me how to monitor and how to stay in my means of living. Now, I'm finished with the process. GreenPath is a great company. I will refer my family and friends to them.

Dear Clarence,

Thank you so much for referring friends and family to us! We are always happy to be able to help more people.

I am very happy to hear of your positive experience. It also sounds like you are well equipped with tools for continued financial wellness in the future, which is really our ultimate goal!

Congratulations on finishing the program, and I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 26, 2019

When I googled debt consolidators, GreenPath came up and I went with them. They provided excellent services and the process was very easy. Every time I called and had a question, I got somebody on the phone to answer me. The reps that I worked with were very helpful. They explained everything very clearly and I got all the information that I needed. They spent time with me when I needed that and I never felt rushed. They were very flexible and easy to work with. They asked me what would be comfortable for me right from the beginning. I told them the amount, then we broke the payments down to every two weeks and it worked out fine. I made my monthly payments and I'm done with the program. It was all good when the accounts were finished and everything was settled very clearly. Everything went very smoothly and I was happy with the whole thing. I would recommend GreenPath to other people and in fact I have already done so.

Hello Leslie,

Thank you so much for referring others to us! I loved reading about the experience you had with GreenPath - that is just what we hope for for our clients. We do try to be as easy to work with as possible. CONGRATULATIONS to you on finishing the program! Wishing you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was having frequent overdrafts and I had a large amount of credit card debt. GreenPath was recommended by my credit union that had my car loan. Their process was very easy and the people there were very helpful. Communication was very good. The payment plan they had me on worked out fine. I increased it somewhere along the line and it went very well too. I got everything paid off in about three and a half years which was shorter than I expected.

Hello Sandra,

Shorter than expected is FANTASTIC! We're so happy for you! Congratulations on paying off your debt and getting set on the path to financial freedom!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 12, 2019

Before my last call to GreenPath today I was very impressed and happy with the service and people I spoke to over the phone. I am new to GreenPath and I did not know my portal was set up or the details of my account. I called to get a better understanding of the system and figure out how to not get late payments on my credit cards. The person I spoke to on the phone for help was rude, dismissive, and sounded irritated as soon as she answered the phone. Her tone was arrogant and condescending. This person clearly should not be working with the public. She did not have any customer service skills. I was very angry when I got off the phone. I called on April 12, 2019 at 5:15 pm.

Hello Lisa,

First, I want to thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Our goal at GreenPath is for your needs to be met and to feel supported in any interaction with our organization. By providing this feedback, it allows for us to research your concern and provide appropriate coaching or implement other measures with our staff. Additionally, it allows for us to determine your ease of use (or lack thereof) in any of our systems, such as the portal so we can make improvements and remove any barriers.

It is not okay for you to feel this way and this is not the experience we want for our clients. Particularly, with the knowledge that people come to us for help, this should be honored and every person should be treated with nothing but care and respect. I sincerely apologize this is not what happened for you.

As the Quality Assurance Manager, I will personally research this for you and will be reaching out to be sure we can rectify this situation and help in any additional ways you might need.

Colleen Dillon
Quality Assurance Manager

GreenPath Financial Wellness

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was accumulating debts and a referral made me go with GreenPath. Their enrollment process was very easy and I had a support team that walked me through it. Their reps were accommodating, supportive, very friendly and professional. I paid ahead of schedule and wasn’t charged any penalty. They didn’t make me pay the rest of the monthly expenses. It was a testament to their commitment to supporting the program. It put us on the path to resolve our debts. If a friend of mine is considering using them, I'll tell that friend to do it without hesitation.

Hello Jessica,

Well, thank you both to whoever referred you and to you for being willing to refer others! We strive to give our clients the kind of positive experience you described. Wishing you the very best of luck!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was in debt and called GreenPath. They got all the information for all the creditors that I had, then did all the work. The process took a couple of years only. With their program, I paid off my debt and I'm out of it.

Hello Nicholas,

Congratulations on being out of debt! I know you said that we did all the work, but in truth the whole endeavor is a partnership and we could not do it without the cooperation of our wonderful clients. Very best of luck to you in the future!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 29, 2019

When I bought my house, GreenPath was a big part of them approving my loan for my house because I was already in an active debt management plan. They looked at that as being a good thing. At the time I sought their services, I was way at my budget and trying to find a way to better manage myself. I was with a credit union and they automatically covered interest fee or whatever it was for GreenPath. I felt completely comfortable working with GreenPath and talking about my budget. I've been in the program for 10 years and paid them $85 a month. But I finished it recently. They absolutely helped out a lot and I would recommend them.

Hello Akisha,

Wow, that is truly humbling to hear that being enrolled in our services enabled you to purchase a house! That is such a huge accomplishment - as is completing your program. Many, many congratulations are due! We wish you the best of luck going forward.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was having financial issues and I needed to consolidate all my credit card debts so I could pay it off. I tried to go with another company first but one of my credit card companies wouldn’t deal with them. They told me to go with GreenPath and it worked out for me. There were a lot of forms that I had to download and then upload to them, but they made everything pretty simple. I just filled it out, the accounts, and I sent in statements from the credit cards that I had at the time. They walked me through whatever I needed to do. Then when I was getting close to paying one off, they'd send me a letter to doublecheck with the credit card to make sure it was off. It was a good experience.

I basically owed more in credit cards and I was paying off nothing. When I first started, I’d have to pay $1,400 a month for credit cards debt and I was just barely paying the minimum. Then, when I consolidated with GreenPath and they canceled it and renegotiated, it got it down to where it was bearable. It was at $450 every two weeks. The cost was reasonable and it was good compared to some that I've seen out there. I've paid off all that credit card debt. I'm not completely debt-free ‘cause I have a couple of open credit cards at the moment, but I feel more secure and everything is taken care of.

Hello Sandra,

Congratulations on completing your Debt Management Program! I am so glad to hear that you had a good experience with us. Very best of luck to you going forward and please get in touch if you need any further assistance.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had too many payments and I needed help. One of the creditors recommended GreenPath to me and I enrolled with them. All the guys there, in general, were okay. They helped me and they were professional. I once interacted with someone who seemed to be in a bad mood, but it was only one thing in the two years that I was with them. Also, the program was good and it worked for me. The amount I was paying every month was reasonable considering my balance which was too big. It started low and then it went up to almost taking all my check, but that was what I had to do.

Hello Laurencio,

I'm so sorry that you had the experience of talking to someone who was in a bad mood, but I do appreciate your understanding. We're all human, after all, though we try our best not to let bad moods spill over to our clients.

We are very pleased to have been able to help you with our debt. Thank you for your kind words, and thank you for being our client!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 13, 2019

Kiera (sp?) helped me out tremendously! She was patient and thorough. Thank you so much for her help! GreenPath has also done an awesome job at helping get out of my debt and would recommend them to anyone who needs to get out of debt. I only have a month left of payments and then I'm done!! Thanks again Kiera and GreenPath!

Hello Pedro,

Thank you do much for your praise! I am so pleased that you found our team to be helpful. CONGRATULATIONS on being so close to the end! What an incredible achievement!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 8, 2019

My fiancé had a lot of debt and we wanted to get that under control. I was looking for someone who could help us and I looked on the internet for the information. GreenPath could help us so we went with them. They did a debt management program and everything went great. The reps were perfect and I didn’t have any problems with them. The cost was fair and the payments were reasonable. We were able to finish early, so it was good. Working with GreenPath made the credit score of my fiancé go up quite a bit.

Hello Erica,

Congratulations on completing your program - and finishing early, in addition! Providing top notch service to our clients is a priority at GreenPath, so I am very happy to hear that that was your experience. Thank you so much for your kind words!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had credit card debt and I liked GreenPath’s good reputation. They provided service where they work with the credit card companies to get the interest rates down and I have to make payments. The online services were too much trouble for me. I have so much stuff to do at work on the internet and computer, and at home. I couldn't deal with it anymore and it was easier to make a phone call so I just called and asked what the balance was. Their customer service was fine and there was no problem. The payment plan was good although it was hard in the beginning. It was a large amount for me to put out. I couldn’t put it toward my student loan so that got behind. It’s over now and although we always think it’s too long when you owe money for something, the time it took to complete it was appropriate. The experience with them was great and I don’t have any complaints. I recommend them to other people.

Hello Nancy,

Absolutely right - the first few months of the program can be a difficult adjustment. I'm so glad you were able to stick it out and you found it worthwhile. We really believe in our Debt Management Program! I am happy that you had such a positive experience with us! (And I completely understand about being overwhelmed with computer stuff - sometimes a phone call is just easier!)

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I spoke with a few companies and I found GreenPath to be pretty good. So, I went with them. Enrolling with them was very easy and their process was thorough. The program enabled me to get caught up without getting further and further behind on interest rates. It also enabled me to get to a place where my credit score went up enough that I was able to get a 0%, over a long period of time, on interest rate. So, the program has been a tremendous help. I have completed it and it was fantastic.

Everybody I worked with at GreenPath was fantastic as well. But in the very beginning, they told me that if I got notices, I should just disregard them and not worry about paying anything that has passed due. They said they'd catch up with that. But that lowered my credit score by 80 points and I got so worried. So, that was very bad advice. And because of that, I missed two payments and those are the only two negative remarks still on my credit. I should've kept up the payments until things were switched over. But despite that, I'd still recommend GreenPath to others.

Hello Jeffrey,

I am so sorry - you should not have been told to disregard statements or to not worry about keeping up payments. We do let clients know that that is an option if they cannot afford to keep up payments and if they aren't concerned with their credit, but it should not have been presented to you as the only possibility.

I am so happy to hear that the program was a net positive, however. And it is true that as long as payments are consistent, credit scores tend to rise over the life of the program. A HUGE congratulations to you on completing the program! I am very glad it went well for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was told about GreenPath by my bank when I was applying for a personal loan to get out of debt. GreenPath was a much easier and painless avenue and I'm glad for their services. Rather than juggling different bills at different times while trying to coordinate paychecks, GreenPath simplified everything. From start to finish the people and process were honest, understanding and approachable. I am now consumer debt free and my credit score is higher. Many thanks to GreenPath!

Hello Timothy,

What a fantastic review - thank you so much! Honest, understanding, and approachable are definitely words that we love hearing associated with our team members. I am so happy the program went smoothly for you!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

GreenPath was so helpful in negotiating interest rates and a payment schedule with my creditors. I was able to pay down my debt in record time - even 6 months faster than we all thought possible. That has allowed me a great sense of accomplishment and tremendous peace of mind. I am now saving for retirement! Thank you GreenPath!

Hello Rosemary

CONGRATULATIONS not only on paying off your debt, but also saving for retirement! Amazing! And paying your debt off six months ahead of schedule? We are so happy for you!

Enjoy your peace of mind - very best of luck to you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Got out of debt at a consistent pace no missed payments. Any questions I had I just made a call and all folk at Greenpath helped me with a smile and encouragement!!! Would recommend Greenpath if anyone needed help in this area. Thank you again.

Hello Laurence

Thank you so much for being willing to recommend us to others - this give us the opportunity to help more people, which is what we are passionate about. I am happy to hear that your program went so smoothly. Congratulations on getting out of debt!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I was in financial trouble. My credit union referred me to Greenpath and I used their debt consolidation program. I gave them all the information and they got to work immediately. They were on everything within the month and they provided me with good customer service. However, they switched me over to a different site when I was almost done with the program. I wasn't able to log online anymore as I had a hard time getting the four-digit code. The lady who I talked to was able to help me. She however told me that she was gonna email me my login information and a different pin but she never did. And I never followed up after that. But I'm already done with the program. I'm debt-free now and I’m happy that’s all behind me. I was paying $70 every two weeks which was expensive, but I was provided with services that I was happy with, as well as other additional ones if I needed it. I recommend Greenpath.

Hello Velda,

I am sorry there was a mix-up with the portal. We have been making improvements to our website, especially over the last two years, and it definitely got confusing for some of our clients. I'm sorry that you were one of them.

However, I am very pleased that you were happy with our service and that the program was a success for you! Congratulations on completing it! Wishing you the very best of luck!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg