4.9/5 (88 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: April 14, 2022

The program with GreenPath went well and I was able to finish it. It automatically came out of my check every pay period and every once in a while, I get an update or a call that they were changing something, or one account had closed out. The way they contact was nice and it was a good experience. When I started with them a few years ago, it was simple. They were able to take my mortgage credit report and then, they sent us all the forms that we needed to sign to give them clearance to pause the account or get whatever access they needed. There were a couple of times where I wished that as the accounts closed, maybe there was the option to keep the same timeline but reduce the amount being taken out each pay. But it made sense to keep it going and finish it out as soon as possible.

The most beneficial thing about doing this process is letting things get paid off and not having to keep track of all the different payments. We had a number of different accounts go into it so instead of having to check on each one and figure out when we were supposed to pay, what and how much, it was all done for us. I've recommended GreenPath to some friends who are in the same boat. Any fees that are charged are negligible compared to missed payment fees or the interest.

Hi Carlisle,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. We love knowing we made your goal of becoming debt free easier for you. You did all the hard work and we offered the support to keep things moving. Wishing you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I had picked a different company and they were taking the money out but kept telling me, "We don't make any payments until we get a lot of money saved up, and then we start making payments for you." I walked into my bank and I saw the sign for GreenPath -- which was Suffolk Federal Credit Union. I looked it up, I called, and the person that answered was very helpful. I contacted that other company and they wound up reimbursing me the money that I had put into it. GreenPath set up an amount that I could afford. They started paying right away and then they did the withdrawals every week.

I love it as I don't have a million bills coming in every month now. I just have three credit cards that we work with, and I pay them off, so that was nice, and just peace of mind. Now, I feel like I have some money because that money that they're taking out every week is still sitting there as they're not taking out $1,000 a month. Any time I called them with a question, they answered and they were very helpful.

Hi Barbara,

We are so happy to hear you saw our promotion at Suffolk FCU. They have been partnered with us for many years! Unfortunately there are companies that will take advantage of those in pursuit of financial wellness.

You accomplished a lot during your time with us - well done! We wish you all the best!

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

The process was fairly easy. They asked me questions, gauged where my debt was, and what I needed assistance on. They let me know what my payment plan was going to be and how often I was gonna have to pay. Then I had to sign some documents and send it back. I got my debt paid off and I'm satisfied. I needed to make it a little easier process to make one payment to them and they dispersed the funds amongst multiple accounts that I had. Also, I was able to add on accounts during the process and it was an easy thing to do. I appreciated that part.

The only thing was that when GreenPath initially set up the program, some of the debtors didn't accept the agreement but there was never a follow up from GreenPath to try it again with the program. It seemed like they would do an annual review and see if they can get the debtors to at least take a cheaper interest rate or settle for a smaller amount. But that didn't happen after the program was initially set up.

Hi Tameka,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, we appreciate it! I am glad to hear that overall the process went well.

I reviewed your DMP and I see that all the creditors accepted a proposal. One creditor requested a higher payment, however I see the proposal was accepted within 5 weeks of the debt being added. If you want to connect about this in more detail, please give us a call and ask for me.

With regards to re-negotiation of better terms after a creditor has accepted a proposal, I would be happy to speak to that in more detail. We hear you, you want to know you are getting the best rate possible. Upon a proposal being accepted, the creditor has already lowered and reduced their terms to the lowest terms they have available, so there isn't a better term we can get.

With regards to settling, we are not permitted to contact creditors and negotiate a settlement for our clients. If clients are interested in settling and have the funds to do so, we would have them contact the creditor for arrangements. I would be happy to review this in more detail as well, so you are welcomed to call us and ask for me.

Again, thank you you for you review. I am so glad to hear the program worked well. Congratulations to you!

Compliance Department

Original review: July 26, 2021

The process was simple and they were forthcoming with the information that they needed to know. The biggest benefit with GreenPath is the negotiated rate so, I utilized that with the credit cards I could utilize that with but not with my bank credit cards which they didn't have a negotiated rate with because I could manage that myself. Some people might not be able to manage that themselves and would need the assistance of GreenPath.

I created my own payment plan with the credit cards I couldn’t utilize it with. The rep tried to explain to me but I didn't know the consequences of what he was saying until a month or two into the program. It would be helpful to know the first step and what the consequences are, that they’re gonna negotiate an arrangement with these companies so they don't want to blow it with this company which means that they’ll put me in the plan and they'll help me pay down the debt but it doesn't necessarily mean I'll get a better rate for this particular company. That part would help to be upfront with.

The rep was not deliberately not giving me the information but I just didn't understand the consequences of what he was saying. I went faster than the timeline. It was a challenge initially getting that into the program to meet those financial goals as I started needing their help. I was under employed for so long so there were a lot of things I was trying to catch up on. But I was satisfied with the timeframe.

Hi Sharolyn,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review. You are right, there are some creditors who may already have a low interest rate and may not offer a lower rate in the DMP. I am sorry the Financial Counselor did not explain it in a way that was helpful and clear to you when you first started in 2017. It is our expectation that the process is clear for our clients so that you feel equipped and empowered every step of the way.

Should you want to review your concerns in more detail, please feel free to call and ask for me. I would be happy to connect with you.

GreenPath Compliance Department

Original review: June 25, 2021

They were extremely helpful. They met with me and the process was very simple. The hardest thing was coming up with a budget. I've never done that before and I wasn't used to doing it. I had to get organized enough to do that. But they were very helpful in how to do it. They gave me good and helpful feedback. So when I did have questions, they were there to answer. There was always somebody available. It might not be the same person, but it was somebody.

I paid off my debt with GreenPath. I built up my credit. I'm now listed having good credit, which has never happened in my life before. I'm very happy with that. I was real hesitant at first because I was opening up my failure to someone and that's hard to do. I felt like such a failure and an idiot. But they never ever made me feel bad about myself at all. They just took it and said, “This is what we do. People get in trouble and we help them get out”. It was great.

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt review. You are not alone, sharing finances and life events that cause us to get into debt is not easy. So often we are judged by others for circumstances beyond our control.

We are so happy to hear you have achieved your financial goals. We wish you the very best.

Compliance Department

Original review: May 3, 2022

Greenpath's service has been good. I signed up and the process was fine. I’m still paying some of the credit cards, but the program worked for me.

Original review: April 26, 2022

They took care of the hard work. I just gave the money I needed to give them and they took care of the rest. I had to call customer service a few times whether it was to change my payment plan or hold off on the payments. They did a fine job. Even after I finished the program, my credit score has consistently gone up. I'm thinking of the lessons that I've learned and try to apply them going forward, and continue to still stay debt-free as long as I can.

Original review: April 21, 2022

They were always informative. If I had a question, I was able to call. During the COVID, it's been a little harder to get ahold of people like anywhere else. But the program worked for me because I was able to get my interest-bearing account into a non-interest principal-only-bearing account. I also paid off the entire balance four weeks ago.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I was about to drown in finances, so I went to a lawyer and filed bankruptcy. We just bought a house, and she said that she could do it, but most likely, I would lose my house. I said, "Well, that ain't gonna happen," so she recommended something else. She said, "I can't recommend a specific one, but I'll give you a choice," and GreenPath was one of the choices. I checked them out online and checked reviews, and everything was favorable towards them more so than others. I contacted them, and I liked how they contact the credit agencies and got lower interest rates. Their fee is not very much as well.

Enrollment was really simple, and they were good communicators. I talked to several reps and they were very friendly and went out of the way to help us out. I'm getting ready to pay my debt off, and one rep put me on hold while she checked with the credit card company to make sure that we paid the correct amount off, so we wouldn't have any discrepancies. She also kept checking back on me to make sure I was all right.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Anytime I've been on the phone with Greenpath, it's always been professional and they've always gotten done what I had needed from them at that time. I would occasionally call in. If I had a change that I needed to make, or if I was trying to pay down anything faster, they walk me through what the options are, lay out that path and make sure that everything was clear and understood on my end on what those kind of changes would be.

Greenpath has been pretty good, because they were able to negotiate down the interest rates for me to reduce the amount. Also, with their payment plan, they were able to get it to line up with the frequency of how we got paid, so we were able to do it on a schedule that was very consistent and predictable. They got us on track to pay down our debt. I was also able to accelerate the timeframe and hit that budget back from just debt to other things that we were looking forward to spend our budget on, to have more financial freedom.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information