4.8/5 (89 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: June 23, 2022

GreenPath was fabulous. The application process didn't take long, as long as you had your information. It was just giving them the account numbers and phone numbers for the contacts. And if I had a statement, I could upload it. So, it was very easy and their reps were so helpful. It wasn't like I was talking to someone and they pushed me off on someone else. If I had a question, they immediately answered it and if I wanted to make extra payments, they didn't give me any hassle. Then, if I had one little debt that was only $50, I would pay it out. Then, I would ask for my overall payment to be reduced since that was paid off and they gave me no issue about that.

They reduced my payments in half, if not more, than what I was normally paying by myself. They were taking that one payment from me and handling the disbursement. But when I was ready to pay everything off, they said that they could handle that. I had to wait another cycle and they made me aware of it. The only difficulty I had was that when I’ve made payments through GreenPath, I had to call each creditor to confirm that those payments have been made. But that was a simple process that showed where I made that lumpsum payment to GreenPath. And the credit bureau as well as the company that the mortgage company used reached out to all of my creditors and confirmed it.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2022

The enrollment with GreenPath was easy and they took some information. They ran my credit report and they saw the debt I had. They gave me a representative to work with and they got me set up. They did mostly all of the legwork contacting the different companies and credit consumers. They were on top of it from that point. Customer service was patient and they want to make sure that whatever you need to get done, they do their job to make sure that your questions are being answered. I was really impressed during the COVID time. A lot of people, including myself, had tough times making those payments and they spoke on my behalf and reached out to my consumers in regards to pushing payments back, making sure it didn't affect my credit report, and worked with me when I was able to start making payments to get back caught up.

GreenPath was associated with my credit union and I didn't pay a monthly cost to GreenPath directly. I have just recently paid off all debt that I had under GreenPath. That really helped streamline the monthly bills that I had coming in. It was able to consolidate some of those bills down to where I can actually not spend everything monthly on just bills and to where I can still see that they're being paid off but not going into debt paying the bills off.

Original review: April 14, 2022

The program with GreenPath went well and I was able to finish it. It automatically came out of my check every pay period and every once in a while, I get an update or a call that they were changing something, or one account had closed out. The way they contact was nice and it was a good experience. When I started with them a few years ago, it was simple. They were able to take my mortgage credit report and then, they sent us all the forms that we needed to sign to give them clearance to pause the account or get whatever access they needed. There were a couple of times where I wished that as the accounts closed, maybe there was the option to keep the same timeline but reduce the amount being taken out each pay. But it made sense to keep it going and finish it out as soon as possible.

The most beneficial thing about doing this process is letting things get paid off and not having to keep track of all the different payments. We had a number of different accounts go into it so instead of having to check on each one and figure out when we were supposed to pay, what and how much, it was all done for us. I've recommended GreenPath to some friends who are in the same boat. Any fees that are charged are negligible compared to missed payment fees or the interest.

Hi Carlisle,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. We love knowing we made your goal of becoming debt free easier for you. You did all the hard work and we offered the support to keep things moving. Wishing you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I had picked a different company and they were taking the money out but kept telling me, "We don't make any payments until we get a lot of money saved up, and then we start making payments for you." I walked into my bank and I saw the sign for GreenPath -- which was Suffolk Federal Credit Union. I looked it up, I called, and the person that answered was very helpful. I contacted that other company and they wound up reimbursing me the money that I had put into it. GreenPath set up an amount that I could afford. They started paying right away and then they did the withdrawals every week.

I love it as I don't have a million bills coming in every month now. I just have three credit cards that we work with, and I pay them off, so that was nice, and just peace of mind. Now, I feel like I have some money because that money that they're taking out every week is still sitting there as they're not taking out $1,000 a month. Any time I called them with a question, they answered and they were very helpful.

Hi Barbara,

We are so happy to hear you saw our promotion at Suffolk FCU. They have been partnered with us for many years! Unfortunately there are companies that will take advantage of those in pursuit of financial wellness.

You accomplished a lot during your time with us - well done! We wish you all the best!

Sincerely,

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

The process was fairly easy. They asked me questions, gauged where my debt was, and what I needed assistance on. They let me know what my payment plan was going to be and how often I was gonna have to pay. Then I had to sign some documents and send it back. I got my debt paid off and I'm satisfied. I needed to make it a little easier process to make one payment to them and they dispersed the funds amongst multiple accounts that I had. Also, I was able to add on accounts during the process and it was an easy thing to do. I appreciated that part.

The only thing was that when GreenPath initially set up the program, some of the debtors didn't accept the agreement but there was never a follow up from GreenPath to try it again with the program. It seemed like they would do an annual review and see if they can get the debtors to at least take a cheaper interest rate or settle for a smaller amount. But that didn't happen after the program was initially set up.

Hi Tameka,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review, we appreciate it! I am glad to hear that overall the process went well.

I reviewed your DMP and I see that all the creditors accepted a proposal. One creditor requested a higher payment, however I see the proposal was accepted within 5 weeks of the debt being added. If you want to connect about this in more detail, please give us a call and ask for me.

With regards to re-negotiation of better terms after a creditor has accepted a proposal, I would be happy to speak to that in more detail. We hear you, you want to know you are getting the best rate possible. Upon a proposal being accepted, the creditor has already lowered and reduced their terms to the lowest terms they have available, so there isn't a better term we can get.

With regards to settling, we are not permitted to contact creditors and negotiate a settlement for our clients. If clients are interested in settling and have the funds to do so, we would have them contact the creditor for arrangements. I would be happy to review this in more detail as well, so you are welcomed to call us and ask for me.

Again, thank you you for you review. I am so glad to hear the program worked well. Congratulations to you!

Compliance Department

Original review: July 26, 2022

The people that I talked to from GreenPath were really helpful and I ended up going with them right off the bat. I had a credit card that I was swimming in and they helped me get the interest charges almost down to zero. That way, what I was paying towards it was going towards the principal. We went over my income and the distribution of my income, which wasn't a lot at the time. They gave me advice on budgeting in addition to helping me set up the repayment as well. I don't think I would have that card paid off now if I hadn't done the program. I would fully recommend others to seek out GreenPath if that was a need that they had.

Original review: July 2, 2022

The signup process was a bit difficult because of the creditors not getting back to GreenPath or responding in a prompt manner. But GreenPath helped me pay out my cards and worked with me when I couldn't make a deposit or needed to make the payment lower for the month. Their customer service was great. I always used the chat, and someone was always available. They got whatever I needed handled quickly.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I went through a debt management program with GreenPath, where they consolidated everything for me. It was a simple one payment and an end date. That always helped. They made it easy and were very helpful. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 21, 2022

The reps I worked with at GreenPath were very knowledgeable and they gave me all of the information that I was needing. The website was very difficult to navigate but outside of that, I didn't have any problems. They took my credit score from the 600s to a 769, so I was very comfortable. I've paid off the last debt and I'm cash poor but I feel good about it. It lifted off a lot of weight on my shoulders.

Original review: June 20, 2022

GreenPath was my banker. I had several reps and they were concerned, helpful, and always there for me no matter what the problem I had. They taught me a lot, and my debt with them is paid in full. I did auto pay, and I had them take money right out of my checking account weekly. Now, I'm debt-free.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information