2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Call Now Toll Free (844) 211-1189
Call Now Toll Free

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: May 9, 2020

I turned to GreenPath when I reached a financial point where I was not able to keep up with everything on my own. I used GreenPath many many years ago also, so there was no debate about whether or not to use them again. Everything was completed online and every person I dealt with when signing up, when there were site issues and when I was making extra payments and paying individuals accounts off, was very nice, supportive and encouraging as well as congratulatory about my progress. What should have taken me over three years to pay off was completed in 27 months.

I'm changing how I deal with my finances, and as much as I hope that I never have to use GreenPath and their services, I know they are there. I have recommended GreenPath to others who were in my situation, explained how they work and how some of the pressure was lifted. I was able to work with the payments that were based on what I could afford and I only had to ensure that the money was in the bank every week, instead of having to pay a bunch of different bills every week.

Hi Ericka,

Wonderful, we are excited to hear you felt our staff was supportive and congratulatory regarding your progress. It is a rewarding experience to talk with a client who has paid off an account because the dedication on behalf of the client really shows!

Thank you for considering referring others to GreenPath. So many people are ashamed and not sure where to ask for help and we are here for them. Congratulations and best wishes!

Compliance Department

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Last year my wife and I had a serious of unfortunate events that left us several months behind on over a dozen accounts totaling nearly 80k in unsecured debt. We would receive 20+ calls a day from creditors and 2019 was a terrible year for us. We finally decided to contact Greenpath and get our debts managed. Within 2 months all of the creditor calls stopped. We were able to make a plan with greenpath that allowed us to make just two deposits a month on our schedule then they would cut the checks to dozen+ creditors. Most of our interest rates were negotiated to <10%, some even having a negative real interest rate with inflation!

I've spoken to Greenpath at least 15 times since we signed up in October 2019 to add new debts, pay off smaller ones to snowball other debts and even suspend a DMP payment for a week until the money was available in our account. No problems and everyone was beyond pleasant. I enjoy calling greenpath because I get a sense of relief during and after the call. I know things will get done.

My only cons are that when we called to start adding debts and creating our DMP, we were informed 3 unsecured loans which one included a car payment wasn't eligible. We were paying about $1200 a month on the debt. I ended up calling again at a later time to deal with another matter and I brought it up and in fact it could be added to the DMP and Greenpath negotiated that debt from $1200/mth to 700/mth which basically paid off our entire car loan that was about $475/mth prior to being refinanced and bundled in with an unsecured cash loan. It would have been nicer to get the ball rolling on that debt earlier.

Second is they sent out an offer letter to a creditor but the creditor did not reply to Greenpath. Greenpath made what they assumed would be the monthly payment they would accept. GP sent the payment for about 4 months without a response from the collection agency then we ended up getting served and sued in small claims over the debt by the collection agency. We were able to pay off the debt in full and get the suit dismissed, but the court costs and service fees ate up the 4 months of payments GP ended up sending them. Otherwise, we love Greenpath. We are on track to pay off about 80k in debt by October 2022 or 3 years since we signed up. We plan on snowballing some of the smaller debts with any extra income and tax returns. We'll be "bad debt" free before our original 3 year DMP goal. :) Greenpath is a solid 9/10.

Hi Brian,

We are so glad you called us. I cannot imagine the weight you and your wife felt from the life events, the debt burden, and then the multiple creditor calls a day. It takes a toll on our health as well. I am glad to hear that the program allowed you and your wife to get back on your feet. I hope that the years ahead bring reduced stress. Thank you for taking time to submit a review and I wish you the best.

Compliance Department

Original review: April 23, 2020

I called GreenPath's number and they arranged me to talk to one of their workers. They were very nice. They said, "This is what to do. This is what we do. This is how this works. And you decide if this is what you want." They had all the answer. They had a counselor speak to you and you were able to talk to them and see if this is what you wanted to do.

The program took weight off of my shoulders in worrying that things weren't gonna be paid that I had to keep scrambling. They deal with the creditors. They use your information. They set things up that the money that you can arrange to pay, what you had to take care of and what they did, what they took care of, and it worked. You were always able to call them whenever you had a question or you could write things down and they always came up with an answer. With the other companies that I talked to, they just talked over me and they never gave satisfactory answers to say that they were protecting me and my credit rating.

I am very satisfied with GreenPath and the way they handled my case. Any time I call, I may not speak to the same person that you spoke to, but they all knew my case. They always send mr a reconciliation. I got mail from them on weekly or monthly basis. I would always be able to call when I don't understand something and they were willing to speak with me. It was a relief to have someone understand what was going on. No one criticized me. They were marvelous people to work with. I'll recommend them to anybody.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We are happy to read that you felt supported when you called us with a question and you did not feel judged when contacting us. You are not alone and debt can be a very heavy burden to carry. Congratulations to you, did it!

Compliance Department

Original review: March 14, 2020

My friend told me about GreenPath and she had said they had helped her out. She had given me some details of her issues and stuff of what she had then what they had talked about. I said I’d give it a try because I didn’t know exactly where to go or what to do. I gave them a call and decided to go with them. They basically took money out of our check twice a month and they paid the credit card bills with the money that they took out then they took the fee out with it. I spoke with several people over there and the customer service was really good. One time I had an issue and I called back, talked to somebody else and they were able to fix it.

GreenPath was able to redirect the focus and it helped because they were able to lower the interest rate which enabled us to pay the debts off faster. If I called the credit companies, they wouldn’t lower them. But GreenPath had a contract with the credit companies and they were able to do something different which worked out for me. I was able to pretty much zone in on what I needed to pay first. And because I was able to save, we were able to put a big chunk down on a new vehicle. That was kinda good for us.

I was paying $50 a month up until about the last six months or so. I just progressively was able to pay on it because of the different bonus checks and stuff that we received. I can understand that GreenPath had to make money so they had to have a fee on it. Their fee was good but $50 a month was kinda high. It was like $10 for each card of two $50. And I had $50 for the majority of the time per month. I would’ve rather paid one fee down. But in the last four months, I paid 40 then 30 then 20 for a month then I didn’t pay anything at all because I paid it off. I finished with the program in February. That took almost two and a half years.

GreenPath's website was also very good and I love it. It was very easy to work with and maneuver through. It was very easy to understand what they were doing. But at the same token if I needed to call them and say, “I've paid off this credit card. Don’t pay any more on it,” and to get ahold of them in the middle of the day, it was kinda hard. I learned that I had to call at 7 o’clock in the morning to be able to get ahold of them.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the positive review and glad to hear the program and website worked well for you. We also appreciate the honesty that the wait during the day was too long, we agree with you! We are excited to say we have been able to leverage technology to staff differently based on call arrival patterns. Congratulations on paying off your accounts, what a huge accomplishment! Best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I started with Consumer Credit Counseling in 2011 and was eventually picked up by GreenPath. At that time, I was in a financial mess. I had credit cards, store credit cards, and items in collection that were taking a toll on me. I became depressed and upset with every phone call from a debtor. I used to hate when the time came for them to start calling me. I scoured the internet looking for companies and had connected with one in Boston, MA. I needed someone local and ran across Consumer Credit Counseling. It changed my life. My first appointment, I noticed a huge jar on the floor, it was nearly full of shredded credit cards.

After setting things up with my credit counselor, I was asked to shred mine. I did and became liberated from that moment on. I had a plan to get me out of this debt that had overtaken me. They halted the phone calls from my creditors and I was able to see balances paid off. To say that I was thrilled is an understatement. I continued in this program and this past June, I paid off my last one to a finance company. I truly am grateful to God for this service and how it changed my life. If you are in over your head with debt, reach out to Greenpath. I promise you they will make you feel that you have the support you need to get out of this and stay out. I have one credit card now that I am managing as I have learned my lesson. Thank you GreenPath! You are a lifesaver!

Dear Gloria,

Wow, what a powerful exercise, to shred up all your credit cards. Putting the idea of becoming debt free into action must have been quite an experience!

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing up the program. We will miss you as a client, but we are so happy that you are free from that burdensome debt and that you have learned how to manage with minimal cards.

Thank you for being our client!

Leah Darland

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: July 27, 2020

I was thrilled to use Greenpath but when I completed my payments, I was horrified to find that on my credit report, payments on 2 of the credit cards they were paying were paid AFTER THE DUE DATE for the entire length of my plan. I called Greenpath to ask/report this, and they told me it was not their problem. I find that inexcusable. I am currently disputing this with the credit bureaus myself but I will not be recommending Greenpath to anyone...and to say I am disappointed is a gross understatement.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I’m glad I chose GreenPath. They mostly helped me with credit card debt. It was a wonderful experience to talk with everybody. They worked on the payment plan. They paid up various credit cards a certain amount. I’m glad that it’s all over with, but it was great. I loved the experience.

Original review: July 20, 2020

GreenPath made it possible for us to pay off $50,000 of credit card debt in 4.5 years!! It was very hard, and there were times we felt we may have committed to a higher payment plan than we could afford but we wanted to be free of this debt as quickly as possible. We also knew that if we needed to make adjustments to our payment GreenPath would have been able to do that. We will be using them for our student loan debt as well!! I've recommended GreenPath to scores of people as debt is a massive and growing problem in our country. There was no shame associated with our situation, the plan we chose built our credit score, we never took a credit hit for choosing a debt management plan. There is often a wait when I call with questions, that can be annoying but that's probably the worst thing. We will continue to be with this great company until we can say we are 100% debt free!!

Original review: July 18, 2020

A few years ago, I was drowning in credit card debt and I had tried credit counseling and even an financial consultant. None of their advice was tenable. I work long hours and have a long commute as it is, so a second job was not an option. Then a friend told me that he and his wife used Green Path and I called to see if they could help me.

Not only was the representative extremely friendly but she was also understanding and helpful. Eventually I gave her my information and after a while GP gave me a plan. I will say that the monthly payment they negotiated was higher than I had expected or wanted, but the only alternative was to go with an agency that settles for a payoff with the banks and the only hit that is worse to your credit than that is bankruptcy.

It did require that I struggle with the payment for a few years. I had to stop traveling and curtail expenditures and it wasn't easy. But I maintained a decent credit rating and finally got the payment completed. I would recommend Green Path to anyone. They are helpful, concerned and their staff is among the nicest such people I've encountered.

Original review: July 14, 2020

Green Path was extremely helpful and respectful. They efficiently handled my financial plan and assisted me with decreasing my level of debt. They had topnotch customer service. I could always get any questions answered which alleviated a lot of stress. I would highly recommend their assistance!!!

GreenPath Financial Wellness author review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor