4.8/5 (69 ratings)
Call Center Open

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

Top GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Joining Greenpath helped me to feel some relief when I realized I could not keep up with my credit card payments. The tone of the whole service is very positive, which helped me e...

Verified

I cannot say thank you enough for not being a bunch of scammers!! This company is true to every word and will go to bat for you against high interest, funds sucking companies!... ...

What is GreenPath?

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that offers financial support for individuals and families. It specializes in debt, foreclosure, bankruptcy and credit issues. The company uses a people-centered approach to provide creative, individualized counseling and financial plans. Its method is based in empathy training and behavioral economics, and the company states its goal is to provide education, transparency and compassion for its clients.

How does GreenPath work?

GreenPath first meets with you for an in-person or over-the-phone confidential financial counseling session. Then, its certified counselors work to create a budget based on your income statements, expenses, habits and daily life. GreenPath creates an individualized plan for your financial goals — if you require more specific support, like a debt management plan, you might have to pay an additional monthly fee.

GreenPath costs

As a nonprofit, GreenPath offers most of its services, including credit, rental, debt and general financial counseling, at no cost, but some of its more specialized services come with fees. Reverse mortgage counseling costs $199, prepurchase counseling is $150, and debt management plans run anywhere from $0 to $75 per month. Some banks offer services from GreenPath for free, so make sure to check with your financial institution before paying for services from the company.

GreenPath Financial Wellness FAQ

Does GreenPath hurt your credit?
It depends on your situation. If you work on a debt management plan with GreenPath, you might see a dip in your credit score when you close a credit line, but GreenPath doesn’t contact credit bureaus.
Where is GreenPath available?
The company provides services by phone nationwide and has more than 50 physical locations throughout the U.S.
Where is GreenPath located?
Its headquarters are in Farmington Hills, Michigan, and it has more than 50 U.S. locations.

Is GreenPath legit?

As a nonprofit, GreenPath has a reputable name in the financial wellness industry. Because so many of its services are free or available for a low cost, GreenPath could be a great place to start if you need financial health support. There’s only so much this type of company can do, though; it’s important to understand the purpose of debt counseling before starting service.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I love GreenPath. I was with them for about four years and seven months. Everything was great because they never bothered me. They receive my message when something changes. When I called to ask for something, they would give me the right answer or explain to me what was what. I highly recommend GreenPath to anybody. They helped me to get out of my debts and I appreciated that. I kept up to date and looked online. The process took a long time but I was so happy. I already paid for everything.

The bank gave my sister-in-law money to pay the court on her debits. She turned around and used them again. I said, "No, no, no, you should have stayed with something like GreenPath where you can use it that way." She cannot ask for a loan anymore because she already has a new upgrade on what she has. I like GreenPath because sometimes if you're given money, you use it to pay off and you get tempted and use it again.

Hi Juanita,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We are so happy to hear everything worked out well for you. Best wishes to you!

Linda Murphy

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Everybody was wonderful, and they listened to the whole story. Greenpath helped me because it was only one payment. They saved the money and made all the payments. I've had to do change the date a couple of times over the five years that I spent with them, and as long as I called with enough time, they were kind and changed it. All the representatives assisted me in my own language, which is Spanish, and they were very pleasant. I called a couple of times out of the office time for questions. One time, I tried to call on a Saturday, but then I realized that they have certain times. When I was trying to not forget the question, I just left a message on the website, and they usually responded to me 24 hours later.

At the beginning, I didn’t feel like going with Greenpath was a good decision because my credit score went down very bad than it already was and my accounts were closed. But now, I feel that it was the best, because I didn’t have to pay all those charges, APRs and late fees. The day when I made the last payment, I noticed my score went down and I got worried, but last night, I noticed that the score went up 35 points. Now, I’m on good standing with my credit score.

Hola Karina,

Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para dar una revisión detallada. Sabemos que pagar una deuda no es fácil y puede haber algunos obstáculos en el camino. Nos complace saber que nuestro personal bilingüe pudo ayudarle y realizar los cambios necesarios en su cuenta.

Sé que otras personas pueden preguntarse si firmar con GreenPath puede causar inseguridad y cuestionar si es una buena idea. Con el objetivo de obtener concesiones de los acreedores, las cuentas son cerradas por los acreedores, lo que puede ser incómodo al principio. Cuando se cierran las cuentas de los acreedores o si una cuenta se retrasa 30 días durante la transición al DMP, el cliente puede ver un cambio en su puntaje de crédito. Hay muchos factores que contribuyen a la puntuación de crédito y puede cambiar de un día para otro. A bajo se encuentra un enlace con respecto a las puntuaciones de crédito que puede encontrar útil.

¡Felicitaciones y le deseamos todo lo mejor!

Sinceramente,

Hi Karina,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review. We know paying off debt is not easy and there may be some bumps along the way. We are happy to hear that our bilingual staff were able to assist you and make necessary changes on your account.

I know others may question if signing up with GreenPath may cause uncertainty and question if it was a good idea. In order to get concessions from creditors, the accounts are closed by the creditors, which can be uncomfortable at first. When creditor accounts are closed or if an account falls 30 days late while transitioning onto the DMP, a client may see a change in their credit score. There are many factors that play into a credit score and it can change from day to day. Below is a link regarding credit scores you may find helpful.

Congratulations and we wish you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: June 23, 2022

GreenPath was fabulous. The application process didn't take long, as long as you had your information. It was just giving them the account numbers and phone numbers for the contacts. And if I had a statement, I could upload it. So, it was very easy and their reps were so helpful. It wasn't like I was talking to someone and they pushed me off on someone else. If I had a question, they immediately answered it and if I wanted to make extra payments, they didn't give me any hassle. Then, if I had one little debt that was only $50, I would pay it out. Then, I would ask for my overall payment to be reduced since that was paid off and they gave me no issue about that.

They reduced my payments in half, if not more, than what I was normally paying by myself. They were taking that one payment from me and handling the disbursement. But when I was ready to pay everything off, they said that they could handle that. I had to wait another cycle and they made me aware of it. The only difficulty I had was that when I’ve made payments through GreenPath, I had to call each creditor to confirm that those payments have been made. But that was a simple process that showed where I made that lumpsum payment to GreenPath. And the credit bureau as well as the company that the mortgage company used reached out to all of my creditors and confirmed it.

Hi Brenna,

We love hearing we are fabulous and we will share that with our staff. We try to make the process as simple and painless as possible. You accomplished a lot during your time with us and we wish you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: May 23, 2022

The enrollment with GreenPath was easy and they took some information. They ran my credit report and they saw the debt I had. They gave me a representative to work with and they got me set up. They did mostly all of the legwork contacting the different companies and credit consumers. They were on top of it from that point. Customer service was patient and they want to make sure that whatever you need to get done, they do their job to make sure that your questions are being answered. I was really impressed during the COVID time. A lot of people, including myself, had tough times making those payments and they spoke on my behalf and reached out to my consumers in regards to pushing payments back, making sure it didn't affect my credit report, and worked with me when I was able to start making payments to get back caught up.

GreenPath was associated with my credit union and I didn't pay a monthly cost to GreenPath directly. I have just recently paid off all debt that I had under GreenPath. That really helped streamline the monthly bills that I had coming in. It was able to consolidate some of those bills down to where I can actually not spend everything monthly on just bills and to where I can still see that they're being paid off but not going into debt paying the bills off.

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review and touching on the support we provided during the pandemic. We know it was hard for many, we truly tried our best to determine options with creditors to support our clients in the best way possible.

Congratulations, you accomplished a lot during a very difficult time!

Linda Murphy

Original review: April 14, 2022

The program with GreenPath went well and I was able to finish it. It automatically came out of my check every pay period and every once in a while, I get an update or a call that they were changing something, or one account had closed out. The way they contact was nice and it was a good experience. When I started with them a few years ago, it was simple. They were able to take my mortgage credit report and then, they sent us all the forms that we needed to sign to give them clearance to pause the account or get whatever access they needed. There were a couple of times where I wished that as the accounts closed, maybe there was the option to keep the same timeline but reduce the amount being taken out each pay. But it made sense to keep it going and finish it out as soon as possible.

The most beneficial thing about doing this process is letting things get paid off and not having to keep track of all the different payments. We had a number of different accounts go into it so instead of having to check on each one and figure out when we were supposed to pay, what and how much, it was all done for us. I've recommended GreenPath to some friends who are in the same boat. Any fees that are charged are negligible compared to missed payment fees or the interest.

Hi Carlisle,

Thank you for leaving such a detailed review. We love knowing we made your goal of becoming debt free easier for you. You did all the hard work and we offered the support to keep things moving. Wishing you all the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

My experience with them was fine. They were very kind and polite. The payment plan was also okay.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Somebody referred me to GreenPath to help take care of my credit card debt. I realized that I would have to not use the credit card anymore, but I was with it. They told me they could get the interest rate down, and how we'll have to pay this bill every month and make sure that I make the payment. I got it down to about seven grand, and I just paid it off. I was 19,000 in debt just on one credit card alone. They also offered to help me to consolidate all the credit cards that I had. I probably could have been out of credit card debt if I listened to the representative on the phone that day. They were trying to give me some good pointers. GreenPath was good. I’m grateful for it. They took the payment on time. They reached out to me and made sure that I knew. If anybody was having some debt problems and was trying to figure out how to pay it or get rid of it in a sensible way, I will recommend that they reach out to GreenPath.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Everything went well with GreenPath. We really liked what they did for us. We paid everything off. It was a great decision. Go for it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

GreenPath provided a certain amount of money per month. We were in the program for 40 months. We completed it and everybody I worked with was great. It's such a relief to be able to be out of debt. Do GreenPath. It's great.

Hi Megan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Completing your program in 40 months is incredible. Congratulations and we wish you the best!

Linda Murphy

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

GreenPath's reps were helpful with paperwork and answering questions. For my payment plan, they mostly reviewed my budget and negotiated with the vendors. Working with them took financial worries and stress off of me.

Hi Valeria,

We know finances are extremely stressful for so many. We are so happy to hear that our staff was helpful and the plan worked well for you.

Congratulations and we are wishing you all the best!

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information