2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.78/5

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

We were with the Philadelphia incarnation and and we had gotten with that because it had been highly recommended by a couple of folks we trust. Then they were absorbed or merged with GreenPath. When I started with the program, there was some confusion on the interest rates because I had balances on a number of credit cards. But once that was cleared up, which didn't take long, the experience was just fine. They worked for some time with the staff in Philadelphia, who were always very responsive when I called. And once COVID hit and the calls are being taken out in the Upper Midwest, there was still good responsiveness in communication.

I dealt with two individuals in particular in the Philadelphia group and things were going so well that I really didn't have much occasion to check in for over a year. Then the COVID hit and after that, it seemed to be whoever got the call. But everyone was very knowledgeable and punctual. I don't know if that would've been true if I had missed payments but we had established a baseline that I could meet and there was never any problem with my payments. So it all went very smoothly. Some folks met their obligations to me, which enabled me to pay off the whole debt a month or so ago.

I had hoped that we would be able to negotiate a little lower interest rate but I'm sure there are people who are saying they can do a better interest rate. We were at 12% when we negotiated the payments and I wasn't asking for any reduction in the principal. I was just wanting to schedule out the monthly payments at a rate that I was comfortable with. But I hear promotions for groups that promise more and I have talked to individuals who are promising low interest rates. I've also talked to two individuals who independently negotiated to get some of the debt eliminated. But that was not my aim. I was simply looking for a reasonable way to meet my obligation.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

It's been wonderful with GreenPath. Once I talked to them, it was no gimmick. It was like, “This is how it is.” I liked how easy they were to work with. They allowed us to pick if there was a card or two that we wanted to keep. That was a huge decision maker also. The enrollment process was good. The most painful part was when they asked all the questions about my income and outgoings but it was necessary. It helped set up the program that was really tailor made to us. I couldn't pay $10 a month and get out of it, but it was doable. Since 2017, we've never missed a payment. It hasn't always been easy, but because I believed in the program, I made sure that the payment was there.

Their service was good. It was easier once I learned and put in the effort myself to learn the website. The documents were right there. The upgrade they did a little bit ago was also there. What I really liked about it too was if I had extra money up to $500, I could verbally ask them to pull that out and put it on a certain card. I did that on multiple times and realizing if it was over 500 that I would have to send an email. The flexibility in the program was really big for me also.

For some companies, you call and talk to one representative and they tell you something. Then you call again and another one tells you something else. It wasn't like that with GreenPath when I would call in, no matter who I got, to do a transaction or ask a question. Something else that I really liked, especially towards the end was when I was trying trying to pay everything off quicker. They reached out to that card company. Even though I would do it online, they would call them right there and get that balance. That was really nice and helpful.

I’m debt free now and I feel really good. GreenPath really enabled me to even learn how to manage better. I was married 29 years and I wasn't gonna take all of the burden. Even though I took 3/4, GreenPath was able to split it in the middle of the program. That was huge for me, and it was not painful at all. It was rather amazing and I was shocked. The way the society is now, you can't really trust a lot of people let alone companies because there are certain companies that are out to take your money. They're hurtful. They're not really out to help you. But I can truly say that GreenPath really helped me and I think that that's their goal - to really help people, not to get over on them.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review. You are right, it's not always easy and there can be bumps along the road. You did it! You paid off an incredible amount of debt. We will continue to enhance our portal for even more flexibility in the future - thank you again for the review.

All the best,

Compliance Department

Original review: May 2, 2020

Last year my wife and I had a serious of unfortunate events that left us several months behind on over a dozen accounts totaling nearly 80k in unsecured debt. We would receive 20+ calls a day from creditors and 2019 was a terrible year for us. We finally decided to contact Greenpath and get our debts managed. Within 2 months all of the creditor calls stopped. We were able to make a plan with greenpath that allowed us to make just two deposits a month on our schedule then they would cut the checks to dozen+ creditors. Most of our interest rates were negotiated to <10%, some even having a negative real interest rate with inflation!

I've spoken to Greenpath at least 15 times since we signed up in October 2019 to add new debts, pay off smaller ones to snowball other debts and even suspend a DMP payment for a week until the money was available in our account. No problems and everyone was beyond pleasant. I enjoy calling greenpath because I get a sense of relief during and after the call. I know things will get done.

My only cons are that when we called to start adding debts and creating our DMP, we were informed 3 unsecured loans which one included a car payment wasn't eligible. We were paying about $1200 a month on the debt. I ended up calling again at a later time to deal with another matter and I brought it up and in fact it could be added to the DMP and Greenpath negotiated that debt from $1200/mth to 700/mth which basically paid off our entire car loan that was about $475/mth prior to being refinanced and bundled in with an unsecured cash loan. It would have been nicer to get the ball rolling on that debt earlier.

Second is they sent out an offer letter to a creditor but the creditor did not reply to Greenpath. Greenpath made what they assumed would be the monthly payment they would accept. GP sent the payment for about 4 months without a response from the collection agency then we ended up getting served and sued in small claims over the debt by the collection agency. We were able to pay off the debt in full and get the suit dismissed, but the court costs and service fees ate up the 4 months of payments GP ended up sending them. Otherwise, we love Greenpath. We are on track to pay off about 80k in debt by October 2022 or 3 years since we signed up. We plan on snowballing some of the smaller debts with any extra income and tax returns. We'll be "bad debt" free before our original 3 year DMP goal. :) Greenpath is a solid 9/10.

Hi Brian,

We are so glad you called us. I cannot imagine the weight you and your wife felt from the life events, the debt burden, and then the multiple creditor calls a day. It takes a toll on our health as well. I am glad to hear that the program allowed you and your wife to get back on your feet. I hope that the years ahead bring reduced stress. Thank you for taking time to submit a review and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Compliance Department

Original review: April 23, 2020

I called GreenPath's number and they arranged me to talk to one of their workers. They were very nice. They said, "This is what to do. This is what we do. This is how this works. And you decide if this is what you want." They had all the answer. They had a counselor speak to you and you were able to talk to them and see if this is what you wanted to do.

The program took weight off of my shoulders in worrying that things weren't gonna be paid that I had to keep scrambling. They deal with the creditors. They use your information. They set things up that the money that you can arrange to pay, what you had to take care of and what they did, what they took care of, and it worked. You were always able to call them whenever you had a question or you could write things down and they always came up with an answer. With the other companies that I talked to, they just talked over me and they never gave satisfactory answers to say that they were protecting me and my credit rating.

I am very satisfied with GreenPath and the way they handled my case. Any time I call, I may not speak to the same person that you spoke to, but they all knew my case. They always send mr a reconciliation. I got mail from them on weekly or monthly basis. I would always be able to call when I don't understand something and they were willing to speak with me. It was a relief to have someone understand what was going on. No one criticized me. They were marvelous people to work with. I'll recommend them to anybody.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for taking time to submit a review. We are happy to read that you felt supported when you called us with a question and you did not feel judged when contacting us. You are not alone and debt can be a very heavy burden to carry. Congratulations to you, did it!

Sincerely,

Compliance Department

Original review: March 14, 2020

My friend told me about GreenPath and she had said they had helped her out. She had given me some details of her issues and stuff of what she had then what they had talked about. I said I’d give it a try because I didn’t know exactly where to go or what to do. I gave them a call and decided to go with them. They basically took money out of our check twice a month and they paid the credit card bills with the money that they took out then they took the fee out with it. I spoke with several people over there and the customer service was really good. One time I had an issue and I called back, talked to somebody else and they were able to fix it.

GreenPath was able to redirect the focus and it helped because they were able to lower the interest rate which enabled us to pay the debts off faster. If I called the credit companies, they wouldn’t lower them. But GreenPath had a contract with the credit companies and they were able to do something different which worked out for me. I was able to pretty much zone in on what I needed to pay first. And because I was able to save, we were able to put a big chunk down on a new vehicle. That was kinda good for us.

I was paying $50 a month up until about the last six months or so. I just progressively was able to pay on it because of the different bonus checks and stuff that we received. I can understand that GreenPath had to make money so they had to have a fee on it. Their fee was good but $50 a month was kinda high. It was like $10 for each card of two $50. And I had $50 for the majority of the time per month. I would’ve rather paid one fee down. But in the last four months, I paid 40 then 30 then 20 for a month then I didn’t pay anything at all because I paid it off. I finished with the program in February. That took almost two and a half years.

GreenPath's website was also very good and I love it. It was very easy to work with and maneuver through. It was very easy to understand what they were doing. But at the same token if I needed to call them and say, “I've paid off this credit card. Don’t pay any more on it,” and to get ahold of them in the middle of the day, it was kinda hard. I learned that I had to call at 7 o’clock in the morning to be able to get ahold of them.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the positive review and glad to hear the program and website worked well for you. We also appreciate the honesty that the wait during the day was too long, we agree with you! We are excited to say we have been able to leverage technology to staff differently based on call arrival patterns. Congratulations on paying off your accounts, what a huge accomplishment! Best wishes!

Compliance Department

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I went through the Police and Fire Credit Union for Philadelphia. There was a discount and that's why I chose GreenPath. We had tweaked things out and the enrollment was a smooth process. It was a five-year program and it worked fine. I did the automatic payment every month. The way they negotiated, some of the charges even dropped more because it was getting paid off. I was getting money back. I didn't expect that. That's the big thing. GreenPath poured money back to me.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I had a lot of credit card debt. I'm part of a union so my paychecks were direct deposited into that account. I went into my credit union and asked them if they had any program, because I didn't want to use the ones that are on commercials. I called GreenPath and I spoke to a woman. She was very friendly and not pushy. She asked me about my income, and told me how much it would take to pay all of my bills. I was very comfortable talking to her and felt that I made the right decision. A couple of times that I was able to save up a little extra money and pay off a bill ahead of time, they helped me manage that and then manage paying more, putting more money towards the other debts. And then, anytime I wanted to talk to them about something, it was very easy to get ahold of them. And they were just always helpful.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I needed to get rid of a lot of debt. I needed a plan. I'm a busy person, and I needed help. I called GreenPath and I talked to some guy who I remembered being awesome. We talked for like an hour and a half. He got it done. I was impressed with the execution. It was like, “Okay, what do you have? Let's knock out this budget, let's knock down these papers.” He made it doable for me at that time, and I just jumped in. There were times when I was like, “Okay, I'm paying this service a lot of money for something I could totally, really do by myself.” But it was 100% worth the value because I never had to think about it. Money just came out. Now, I'm done with all that debt.” It was a really great experience.

It wasn't on their end, but I felt bad that I couldn't utilize more of the updates and the budgeting help, and that kind of training that their offer that I probably could really benefit from in my life. I was just so busy. They sent the emails and created the curriculum. I just wish I could have taken advantage of it more. If I ever hear of anybody like this, I'll absolutely send them to GreenPath.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

GreenPath was recommended to me by my credit union. They're helping me eliminate some debt. Everybody was great. They helped me out tremendously. They explained everything perfectly, and it went exactly how they explained it. I recommend the company to anybody I know who's struggling with any kind of financial difficulties with excessive credit cards. I was able to complete the program ahead of time and it was awesome. It was a huge relief when I did it at the time. It helped me out a ton and got me back on my feet. I'm completely credit card debt free and ready to buy a new house.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

The one that was taking me to court recommended me to GreenPath. They helped me out and it worked out for me. They understood what I was going through and helped me set everything up and set up a plan. We came to an agreement how much I would pay, and that worked out well on my end. They just take out a certain amount every week, and I don't have to worry about it. They took care of it. And then, every time I would speak to them, they seemed to have a solution. Working with them has made things a bit easier. I'm not stressing about the bill collectors calling me, so I have a peace of mind.

GreenPath Financial Wellness author review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor