It's that easy Request Information
4.67/5
Based on 72 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

365 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

I started my own business and did that for three years. I made some money but lost the money too and had a certain amount of money on credit card debts. They were out on fairly high rates and I felt that if I could consolidate them, I would be able to more effectively get them paid down and done away with. GreenPath seemed like a good one when I looked at a few different companies online.

There were only two times where I got in contact with the person from GreenPath that I was working with at the beginning. Then there was at least a three-year period of time where I didn't interact with them at all. It was just automatically coming out and things were down and everything was working as it should be. I was getting monthly updates and I could see what was happening. Then in the last few months, I wasn't getting those updates anymore. There was a change to the system and I just assumed everything was going quite to the end. And I finally called up and asked what was going on. I got a new password and I was able to get on and check it. But everything was going as normal anyway.

I’ve completed the process now. It was a long process that took five years, but it was pretty good the way it was. Things moved on as expected so there was no reason to have more interaction than the times that I got. Though if I had been more actively involved in the process, there would be more active feedback. Also, I had a bit of a say on what the payment plan would be. And then near the end, it was increased to speed up the process a bit and. Though I was concerned that might change things a little, it seemed to work really well.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Consolidation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was going through a divorce and needed to get a grip on a lot of my bills. Enrolling with GreenPath, I just had to get all my information together and consult with the agent. They were great and made sure they were available to me every time I had a question. The payment schedule early on depended on if payments were coming out three times a month. They even helped me a couple of times by not getting more money taken out a particular week and push it back. But over the last couple of years, I didn't ask for that. Now, I’m finished with the program and I feel pretty good. I might file them again and would recommend GreenPath.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I was being charged for expenses that I hadn't spent, and rather than fighting each one, I went to GreenPath and they helped me to pay them off. There were five or six credit cards. The process was rather simple. If it had been at all complicated I think I'd have backed off, but it was not and it was very positive. I have already finished the program and have gotten one invoice or bill after they had told me I was finished and they cleared it up. It was almost like we were on a phone call and they cleared it for me. They were nothing but terrific and all I can do is give them A+.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I found a GreenPath brochure at the bank, asked the lady there and she said that they were credible. I went with them for a way of managing to make all my payments. The rep that worked with me was very nice and helpful. GreenPath collected all the data from all the creditors and then gave me a contract that was easy to understand. It's very straightforward how the service works and it was pretty easy. They also have a website that makes it easy to stay in track of everything that's going on all the time. I'm done with the program and it's excellent. I tell people all the time to sign up for GreenPath 'cause it's not hard to do. It's hard to get through it when you're doing it, but once you're done, it's worth it.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was getting in the hole and I couldn't get out. GreenPath was recommended to me and the enrollment was pretty quick. I just talked to someone over the phone and told them how much I needed and what my debts were. I also talked to different people each time I called in to make a deposit and their reps were very nice and understanding. It didn't feel like I was being judged. However, I had difficulties with the payment plan. I had to rob Peter to pay Paul. It was really high initially and then as I paid off, I got them to lower it down a little bit. But, I've paid off a lot of debts. It took a while but I got there and I feel a lot better. It removed a lot of stress from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: May 30, 2018

I needed debt consolidation services. I searched online and I have a family member that referred GreenPath to me, so I went with them. We went over the credit cards that I was looking to consolidate, my income, and what my monthly payments would be. Then they worked out the rest. They figured out what would be a comfortable payment plan to work on that would not seriously impact my quality of life or my financial goals. They took all those things into consideration and worked out the plan that they did for me. So the process was very easy and they helped me get out of debt. Working with them took all of the pressure or the stress out of it for trying to achieve that goal. The rep I worked with was also very informative, very helpful, and made the whole process very seamless. I have recommended them to somebody else.

Hi Kevin,

We really appreciate the referral from your family member and we’re so glad that we gave you a positive enough experience that you decided to recommend someone else to us. Thank you!

Hearing that we helped relieve the stress and pressure from trying to figure out how to get out of debt makes me so happy for you. It’s always so wonderful to hear when we are able to provide that sort of relief to our clients. It’s always our goal to give you as seamless an experience as possible.

Always remember that we’re happy to assist you with any further questions going forward!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 21, 2018

I wanted to consolidate debt and pay it down. GreenPath was recommended to me. I got their debt consolidation service and the enrollment process was pretty easy. My interactions with the GreenPath reps have been pretty seamless. The money comes out of the account and they took care of everything. The quality of the product is excellent and I'm done with the program. My overall experience was pretty good and I highly recommend GreenPath Financial Wellness.

Hi Bryan,

Congratulations on completing the debt management program with us here at GreenPath! That is no small feat and takes a lot of work. That’s fantastic!

It’s great to hear that your experience with our representatives was seamless and that you found the process easy. When you’re seeking help with debt, the last thing you need is another process to stress out about, so we do our very best to make sure everything goes smoothly for our clients.

We’re always happy to help you in any way we can – please give us a call if you have further questions in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 18, 2018

I had a lot of credit card debt and GreenPath was recommended to me by Bank of America. I called them and they had some forms to gather information to help me come up with a plan to pay off the debt. They were pretty flexible in terms of putting together something that was semi-affordable and helped me through the process of figuring out how much I could afford based upon my expenses and income. The payment plan they set up for me was good and they helped me to deal with certain situations if I had to delay a payment for a few days or skip a payment. I would also call their customer service number when I have the time and generally their reps were very helpful. All in all, working with them was good way to get out of a bad situation.

Original review: May 17, 2018

My debt was getting out of hand. I went online, read the reviews, did some research, and ran across GreenPath. Enrolling with them was simple. I contacted them, sent them all my information from all my creditors, and they pretty much did everything else. As long as they had all my documentation in order, it was easy for them. I did an auto-pay once a month which was also easy to set up and they helped me get the interest and everything else taken care of with all the creditors. I tried to get in touch with GreenPath to see if they could do anything to get my monthly payments reduced any they couldn’t. But that was because I created the debt. Luckily, I had a decent job where I was able to pay that debt each month without too much of a burden.

So far, I have one creditor with whom I may have a $2 balance with that I’m paying off. My experience with GreenPath has been great overall and everyone I spoke to was helpful. I generally call on different occasions and whichever operator I was talking to was knowledgeable, answered my questions, and made me feel confident in them.

Hi Derrick,

It’s so important to us to inspire confidence in our clients, so that makes me very glad to hear!

We do try our best to get as low of payments as possible for our clients, and I’m sorry we weren’t able to help you with that. As you said, sometimes the debt is just too much. But I am happy that the program has worked out for you anyway, in spite of that.

We do strive to keep the process simple and our representatives are quite knowledgeable, so I’m glad you had those experiences with us. Please never hesitate to reach out to us with any questions!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 16, 2018

I needed to get things cleared up and people told us that GreenPath is good. The enrollment process was not particularly lengthy but it was adequate. We didn't talk to the representatives an awful lot but they were fine and they were able to answer if there was a question, which was good. The cost of the service was also fine. GreenPath has helped us get everything put together and then taken care of. They should keep doing what they're doing because it is very helpful. And others should check into it very carefully because they seem to be reliable.

Hi Martha,

Thank you so much for being a client with GreenPath. It is a goal of ours to keep to a minimum the length of time it takes the initial enrollment to get off the ground. I loved your comment that we should keep doing what we’re going – we absolutely will! It’s our mission to help as many people as we can and we pride ourselves in our high ratings. We absolutely agree with you that anyone seeking debt help should do their homework thoroughly and encourage prospective clients to ask questions and look us up online. We are committed to serving our clients with integrity and reliability. Please never hesitate to call us with further questions!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 11, 2018

GreenPath helped clear up my credit card debt and it's always been positive with them. Everybody from this company has always been friendly also. Their reps have been very patient and concerned. Whenever I've had questions or if there was a dispute, they would take care of it right away. I started five years ago and the enrollment went great. They were in McAllen, Texas back then and then went to Harlingen. They settled my debt and told me not to use any more credit. I sent them one payment that was more affordable and they dispersed it as needed. The cost was very little too--around $30 a month. Everything has been great and I'm debt-free now. GreenPath is an excellent way to help people in a certain situation get back on to the right track.

Hi Angela,

First of all, a HUGE congratulations to you on being debt free! That is such an enormous accomplishment and we’re so pleased that we were able to help you on your way. It is very important to us that we give our clients a positive experience. Please do feel free to reach out to us in the future with any questions or concerns.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: May 4, 2018

GreenPath did consolidating services for me to pay off a debt I have. They have a partnership with my banking institution and they were recommended to me by my bank. Also, we got free services from them and the enrolment process was simple. I talked about my finances with one of their consultants and and what I ultimately wanted to do with the account, and then we’ve set up some arrangements. They gave an awesome time and I'd probably complete the program in a year and a half. They also set up a really good payment plan. The representatives are very pleasant with us and I don’t even have to call them too much at all. They took care of everything, and if there was a issue, then I got a phone call about it. But it was very few and far in between. It was like, “Oh, we got a different lender over here. Now, we need just some updated signatures from you, sign everything.” Working with GreenPath made my life simpler and I didn’t have to worry.

Hi Noah,

The process of setting up a debt management program can often be a stressful one, so I am so happy to hear that we were able to make the process easy for you. Our representatives strive to make it a positive experience. It sounds like the program is going well for you so far, which is incredible! Please never hesitate to give us a call if there are any issues or if you have questions along the way. We’re always happy to help.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 29, 2018

I had $40,000 in debt from my divorce and it's a significant amount. I looked into debt consolidation and went with Greenpath since my bank uses them. Then I worked with one person who was very accommodating. I gave Greenpath all my bills and they told me what the debtee could take and what my monthly bill would be. The money came out and everything got paid like it was supposed to, and I was able to complete the program. I didn’t have to worry about making sure I made the payments and the agreements were already taken care of, so I didn’t have to stress about that and it was comforting knowing that all that stuff was being paid.

Hi Valerie,

First, let me say CONGRATULATIONS on paying your debt! It takes a lot of effort and sacrifice to complete a program - how AMAZING for you. I am so happy we were able to assist you and thank you so much for your positive feedback. We love hearing stories like yours. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can help you with. Have a great day!

Colleen Dillon

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: April 27, 2018

We're glad that we went with GreenPath. We had to get all of our bills together and we were on a telephone call with them and they put in a couple of hours' time to get us all set up. After that, everything was done through email. They let us know what was going on every month. The payment plan they set up was doable because it was based on what we owed, how long we wanted to be in, and what we could afford. And if there was an issue with income changing, all we had to do was let them know and things could be adjusted. Even though we didn't need to do that, we knew that it was an option so it wasn't frightening.

GreenPath did what they said they were gonna do. There was one of the bills that the debtor didn't accept, but they still paid it for us. It was something that they maintained for us and we didn't have to deal with that one. The cost was perfect and equal to the service they provided. The program did what it was supposed to do and they were able to get all of our stuff paid off. Now we don't have it coming out of our account every week anymore. We were comfortable working with GreenPath. They were very nice people and easy to work with. Moreover, nobody made us feel bad about having debt. We had a very positive experience with them.

Hi Kimberly,

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your debt paid! Having debt hanging over your head can be overwhelming and frightening and it is important to us at GreenPath to alleviate those feelings for you. I’m so glad to hear that this was your experience with us and that we succeeded in making everything as painless as it possibly could be.

If you have any questions of concerns in the future, please do reach out to us. We’re always happy to help!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 25, 2018

I was in a motorcycle accident and my friend Jessica set up GreenPath for me. GreenPath was nice and every time I called, they gave great service. They helped in every way and it was a good way to go. All the bills were in default and GreenPath helped save my credit, so I’m happy about that. I got my bills paid off and I never had any worries. The cost of the program was excellent as well. I always paid GreenPath every month and it went great.

Hi John,

We’re so glad that Jessica sent you our way and even more glad that you found it to be a positive experience. We are very happy that we were able to help you and that going through the process helped save your credit – but we didn’t do it alone! So a huge congratulations to yourself for the dedication it must have taken to commit to our debt management program! All the best to you in the future!

Please don’t hesitate to give us a call with any future questions or concerns.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 18, 2018

I had a large debt with three credit cards, and GreenPath contacted the creditors and managed a better payment plan for me. They consolidated the amounts I owed the creditors and that figured in how much money I would be able to pay per period or per month at that time. They put something that I was able to manage and they would, in turn, disburse the money to the creditors. Those three large debts have been paid off. The access by telephone and by e-mail as well as the updates that I periodically got was ideal. And anyone who I spoke with at GreenPath was very knowledgeable and skilled in communication. It gave me a very reassured feeling that I was taking the right course of action.

GreenPath's service cost was well worth the money. It wasn’t a terrible amount and it was built into the plan. It was explained to me quite carefully and I felt very assured that this was gonna work for me even with that additional service. I was able to correct quite a financial mess that occurred and I feel like I’m back on track. It feels redeeming to have an agency like GreenPath to help me. I would recommend them many times over.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for that glowing review! Congratulations to you for getting your debt paid – that is a wonderful accomplishment!

We do work very hard to ensure that our debt management programs are going to benefit our clients and that the monthly maintenance fee is not overwhelming. I’m glad that you had that experience, yourself, and that you feel we are worth a recommendation to others who may be struggling with debt.

Communication is also key to succeeding with our clients and it is very important to us that you have had a positive experience. Please don’t hesitate to keep the communication going and reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 15, 2018

I was behind on credit card and medical debt. I had paid for my daughter’s wedding dress, all her jewelry and three of the bridesmaids' dresses. I thought I could handle the credit card debt but I got sick and was in the hospital. I ended up owing about $7000 and I have a limited income and I’m on retirement. GreenPath helped me pay that off in four years. I’m so proud of myself and I’m so glad they were there to help me. Their reps were so nice to me. Everybody was always cheerful and if I was not working and was going to be a couple of weeks late, they’d let me do that once in a while. The payment plan was very reasonable because I was trying to pay 12 different places and getting late fees, and it worked out so much better for me. I refer GreenPath to anybody that needs help.

Dear Renee,

Thank you for such a glowing review! We’re so happy we were able to assist you in your time of difficulty. Paying off debt is no small feat – you SHOULD be proud of yourself!

I’m glad GreenPath was able to help you out on your journey. We greatly appreciate any and all referrals you send our way.

Thank you again and CONGRATULATIONS to you!

Leah Darland

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 13, 2018

I joined the program in 2014 with a baby on the way and credit card debt from a time of financial hardship hanging over my head. Even though I was able to make the payments I was getting more and more interest piled on. I contacted GreenPath and they helped me navigate a lump sum payment to get all my accounts sorted. The interest stopped accruing and finally debts were getting paid off! Though it took a while we finally paid off all our debts on the program and our credit was in the clear!

Any time I had to contact GreenPath I was shown professionalism and given the help I needed/requested. I never felt judged or talked down to. They were always helpful. Take negative reviews with a grain of salt, when something doesn't work out for one person, they lash out at the company. I never in the 3 years I was on the program had a problem and any issues were given strict attention and resolved. I'll hopefully not need them again, but would highly recommend to anyone who needs financial help!

Hi Cierra,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience. We really appreciate your feedback. I am so happy that you had a positive experience with GreenPath. Our clients’ experiences are very important to us. Moreover – congratulations on paying off your debts! That is a huge accomplishment!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us, even if you just have some general questions.

Leah Darland

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had credit card debt and somebody presented GreenPath to me. I called them up and everything has been fine. For a year, they took the money out of my account and paid my bills for me. Their reps were always pleasant and the quality of their service was great. It was an easy experience and I recommend them because they helped me.

Hi Melissa,

I’m very glad to hear that you had a good experience with GreenPath and that you found our team members to be pleasant. We take our clients’ experiences very seriously. We appreciate any referrals you send our way, as well as the person who recommended us to you!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any other concerns in the future. We’re always happy to help!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 7, 2018

We incurred debt over time with credit cards and stuff. So, we consolidated with GreenPath. In the beginning, the reps wanted a list of all of the stuff that we were trying to consolidate. They also got the income we had and what we were looking at overall as bills with the family so that they wouldn’t set something that we couldn't reach. They made it realistic. We went back and forth a couple of times on that just working some numbers, and then we finalized everything. It was quick. If we started with the phone conversation on a Monday, everything would be done within a week.

We had bi-weekly payments and can't get out, so they contacted all the companies and got things to a buyout situation. They made the scores and it worked out phenomenally. The experience from top to bottom was awesome. When you’re in a tough spot it’s hard to get out of and they made it as painless as possible. They really worked with us and did a great job. Also, the cost was phenomenal. I had a couple people at work that were in the same situation, and I referred GreenPath to them. I will refer people that have similar problems and need to get out to them every time.

Hi Jason,

Firstly, I’m thrilled to hear that our program worked well for you! Debt can be so stressful and just weigh down on you, so I’m glad you had such a painless experience working with us – that is certainly what we strive for.

We do greatly appreciate any and all referrals from you and we will make sure to give your co-workers the same level of service that you received. We are so pleased that you were able to go through the program and get your situation to a place that is more manageable.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us with any future concerns or questions!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 6, 2018

We were getting behind our bills and GreenPath was suggested by our Credit Union at that time. The process went flawlessly. They were always helpful when I needed that much money and they took care of everything that I needed to be taken care of. They paid my bills that were past due. And then, they talked to the creditors about the debt and they set up a payment plan with them. The program was the biggest thing that had ever happened to us as far as setting us up financially and I’m very grateful for their services.

Hi Douglas,

To hear that our program was the biggest thing that has ever happened for you for your finances is humbling. We cannot express enough how grateful we are that we were able to help you out and a HUGE congratulations to you for completing our program. It’s no small feat and we can’t do it alone!

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any future questions or concerns.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have a high interest rate on my credit cards. GreenPath took five of them and negotiated on lower interest rate. They set payment and they debited it directly from my bank account. When I was setting it up in the beginning, I called them to make sure I had all the right contact information for the creditors when I was paying it off. Their reps were helpful and were good at answering questions. They would call me back when I called them and left a message. I also called about the payment plan and they told me that it would be easier if I contacted my own creditors and let them know. I did that, and GreenPath was helpful with the information to the banks because I had lost a lot of that during the year.

I was on the program for a year and a half and I paid all the debts early. I went and paid the debtors individually and then they contacted GreenPath that they have been closed out. Working with GreenPath has helped maintain the increase in interest rate until we pay everything off. They helped me not stress about interest rates. I would recommend them. They are a positive way to get yourself back on track and they deliver what they advertise.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the positive feedback, recommendation and for sharing your story. Congratulations on paying off your debts. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: March 30, 2018

I've used GreenPath two different times. The first time was fine while the second time was very disappointing. GreenPath was recommended by the bank and it was supposed to be non-profit, but it did not turn out being that. Sometimes their decisions were not what they should have been. The only thing they did was take my money and pay my bills. There was no other program that they offered. The enrollment process was fine, but there were too many people’s fingers in the pie when trying to get a hold of them. I call one rep and they tell me one thing. I call another rep the next time and it hasn’t been done because it can’t be done and the person doesn’t realize what he or she was doing. I got frustrated. There were too many representatives but the left hand didn’t know what the right hand was doing.

I called and whoever answered the phone dealt with it. That was fine but there was no continuity. They took some notes but not everything was in the notes. They told me they were going to do something but it was not followed through. It would have been better if there was more continuity. They have a representative and they have a certain number of cases. But when I got whoever answered the phone, they didn’t have any idea what was going on. They can’t figure out in five minutes what the whole program was. If they have certain individuals in charge of certain accounts, it would have worked so much easier, but when they got rid of the branch offices so it really made it bad. I eventually paid off the bills, but that was it. I have been done for over a month. I won’t choose them again if the situation occurs and I would tell others to go to a different company.

Hello Sally,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review. I am so sad to hear you felt the service declined from your first encounter with us to the second. This is certainly not what we want for you or any client. I whole heartedly agree that it is not okay and there are things on which we can improve.

To your concern, the largest benefit of a debt management program is to reduce interest rates and lower monthly payments so that they are affordable and that more money goes to the balance as opposed to interest. This saves a lot of money in the long run and this is what we want for our clients!

To your second and third concern, we are a non-profit which does not mean there are never any fees - I certainly see why that is confusing. Many of our services and counseling are free of charge although some services do have fees. We do offer many types of counseling and programs aside from the debt management program such as student loan counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, bankruptcy counseling, housing counseling, etc. It is because we work to offer so many different things to our clients in order to help them with financial wellness we found the need eventually to streamline and have full departments that handle clients. Each department has their own function and purpose so they are "experts" in that particular area. I do know losing that personal touch comes with drawbacks. I used to work in a field office and loved being on a first name basis with clients. We have continuously worked to find ways to create that personal touch and be sure our clients feel welcomed and supported by us. I would absolutely love to take the time to speak with you more about your ideas to further benefit and help clients such as yourself. Please feel free to contact me so we can work to improve.

Good luck to you and thank you so much.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I am very upset with GreenPath. I just found out today from the credit union I go to GreenPath has not been paying any of my bills. Nobody even knows where the payments are going!!! I started with this company in November and they seemed pretty good, can't get a hold of them been trying for days, I can't even get into my portal account!!! I recommended GreenPath to a few people and told people how good they were... I want my money back and I will just pay them myself!!! I will not tolerate this kind of treatment. I am a customer but they certainly don't treat me like one. They treat you so polite kind and say they will be with you all the way. Well didn't happen!!! That's how they reel you in! I will never ever deal with a company like this again. Nothing but liars and thieves.

Hello Nicole,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your feedback allows us to make changes to better help our clients. I genuinely apologize for your frustration as we do not want any of our clients to feel this way. It is not okay.

I did review your account. Upon review I see you had two collection accounts with our program. The payments were all sent as agreed upon and with the information you provided us. We called and verified this with the collection agencies and I am happy to send statements showing the same. It would be illegal for us to do anything with your funds but what we agreed upon- which is to pay your creditors. The issue that sometimes happens with collection accounts is that they can switch hands - either back to the original creditor or sometimes to a new collection agency. We have no way of knowing this unless you send statements to us showing these changes (which should be sent to you in the mail by the creditor or you would be notified by phone). I apologize that this situation was so confusing and frustrating. It is a Quality requirement that our staff explain what can happen with collection accounts and if this was missed or not explained to you- this is our error and I will work to rectify it.

In terms of our hold times - you are right. We have recently transitioned our call center software and this came with unforeseen issues that created longer wait times for our clients. We deeply regret this. I do understand that taking the time out of a busy day to call and try to handle something you should not even have to stress over is awful. Not being able to get a hold of us is not right. I am so sorry. As well with our portal, we have worked really hard to innovate and find new technology to better service our clients so handling their program is more easily done - unfortunately new thins always come with learning experiences and we continue to work to improve.

We sincerely apologize and wish you the best.

Original review: March 27, 2018

GreenPath getting lots of clients and no employees to cover. Hard to connect to an agent. Be prepared to wait hours or days to have a question answered once you sign up. Also follow your account closely. I noticed a change in my debt settlement in favor of GreenPath. When I questioned them they gave a ridiculous response about how it’s not accurate and then it magically got adjusted to the right amount I owed my creditors. Sign up with caution knowing you will have zero customer service support and suspicious account activity.

Hello Dan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is important we receive feedback so we can appropriately make changes to improve our services. I am genuinely sorry for your frustration as I do not think any client of ours should walk away feeling this way. It is not okay.

You are right, our customer service has been slower lately. We recently transitioned our call center software and this came with unexpected issues that resulted in longer wait times. We have learned from this experience and are deeply regretful our clients were not met with timely service. I do understand how busy a day can be and having to spend time on hold to take care of a concern is incredibly frustrating. This is certainly not what we want for you.

As to your other concerns, I did review your account. The balance information we have for your debts is simply from your initial statement and checkpoints we have as your program progresses. Our system takes the initial balance provided and adjusts the balance using the APR and subtracting payments made. This may be a reason the portal shows differently from your statements. In the case we do find there is a balance concern or discrepancy, we generally contact the creditor to verify the amount owed. This is procedure at the time a debt is to be paid in full, we contact to verify the amount needed to pay a debt in full (as it can change if the debt is not paid by the next point interest accumulates). Likewise, our system alerts us of a debt is negatively amortizing (balance increasing) as this is against our goal and could ultimately violate compliance requirements if the situation were not to be remedied. I apologize if this information was not made clear to you. We work to provide coaching and development to our staff to be sure everything you need to know is communicated properly.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to allow us to work to create a better client experience. Good luck to you.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a hard time managing the debt I had accumulated. I found GreenPath online and they seemed like a good option. So, I tried them out to see what happens. The enrollment was super easy. Someone walked with me through the entire thing. Whenever I call them, there was usually someone there. If there wasn't, they called back. There was one time when I waited the whole day and there were times when I waited a few minutes to receive a response after I left a message. Other than that, they were really great at helping out. They sat down with me and we came up with a budget of what I could pay, and then they took it from there. Also, the cost of the service was great. They contacted all the creditors and worked out an amount. GreenPath has impacted my life greatly. My credit score is up and I'm about 99% done. I pretty much paid off all the debt that I had originally. I don’t have to worry about all that debt hanging over me anymore.

Hi Binta,

Thank you for the positive feedback and for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: March 19, 2018

The initial consultation and registration went well. The associates seemed very professional. The problem came three months later when I was told our credit card was three months behind. After doing more research, our credit union finally determined that Greenpath had been sending the payments to a different institution. We didn't even have an account where they were sending my money!! And they were charging us $50 per month!! And my credit score was going downhill!! The reason we enrolled in the first place was to save our credit while we paid off the balances. The worst part is that I had called Greenpath multiple times, only to be assured everything was fine. My creditor was the one who figured out the issue.

Fortunately, Greenpath did fix the issue, as far as I could tell. But to this day, I cannot get the portal to work! I cannot even check my Greenpath statements. I just look at my credit card statements and make sure they received the correct amount. Recently, I was able to pay off both of my creditors due to a small windfall. I called Greenpath to cancel the automatic withdrawals. It took me two days to reach them. There was a recording that due to large call volumes, they could not take my call. Click. I finally reached them after two days of trying. They gave me info to log onto a portal. When I tried to use it, I kept getting a warning that it was not a secure site! So I called again, got click again.

Finally reached them the next day. They agreed to stop the withdrawals, but said they require a sort of "exit interview" by phone. They haven't called me yet, but they sent an email. The email is asking me to agree to a monthly bank account WITHDRAWALS! I'm sure they sent me the enrollment process instead of the exit process. Either they're crooked or they're incapable. I'm not sure which. Hopefully they don't withdraw money tomorrow!!

Hello Jill,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience, we need feedback such as yours to continue to work to improve so no client of ours should feel the way you do. It is not right and I whole-heartedly agree with you that some things need to improve. I genuinely and sincerely apologize for your frustrations. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns:

I am happy to hear you were pleased with your initial assessment with us. The beginning of a program is certainly a time of acclimation and it can take some time to get things in place. We require our Experts to explain during the first session that sometimes the credit score can dip temporarily based on factors such as potentially closing cards or that sending the difference between minimum monthly payment and the reduced program payment can be helpful until proposals are accepted. It depends on individual situation so can vary. Either way, the program is designed for long run credit improvement by reducing your utilization percentage over time and paying off your debt as well as paying on time monthly payments (the two largest factors of a credit score).I apologize if these things were not explained in a way that was heard. I do see there was a creditor concern earlier in the program and that we had set everything up according to your statement provided, it seemed there was an account number change but not an incorrect institution. I am happy to hear that was eventually resolved and sometimes it takes both of us to fix those things.

In terms of the portal, this was a new system we rolled out to better assist our clients with visibility into their program so they could easily find information and save themselves a phone call. While we did a large amount of pre-work and used our clients as a feedback loop, this was a new venture and as in anything new, it was also a learning experience and we continue to work to improve this technology. New technology was also the reason for recently long wait times - we recently switched our call center software and this created issues we had not anticipated. Nonetheless, your experience was not what we want and I am truly sorry. We are working every day to provide better service and technology to our clients. What you feel, how you experience our program, our staff, and our technology is incredibly important to us.

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS on paying off your debt. We are so pleased to hear this and know it must be a weight off your shoulders! We wish you nothing but the best.

Quality Assurance Manager

Original review: March 12, 2018

I had mega debt and people were calling me. Because I was a member of Franklin Mint Credit Union GreenPath was a free service for me so I took advantage of it. I was trying to figure out how to get out of debt and GreenPath could take care of the creditors for me. I just walked in there and talked to someone at GreenPath and they walked me through what I was going to do. I sat down, gave them a list of all my debts and I told them how much they could take out a month. We started with twice a month and they took that much out and worked with paying off one debt after another. It was like a consolidation but I don’t think they negotiated the price down because I paid the full price.

Some of the weeks that the payment fell on would have made it hard because it fell with my car insurance. So I told them to split the payment until they’ve taken out once a month and instead of being $148 I told them to take out $145 which was a little more than what they were taking out twice a month. Overall, whatever they took out a month we split it up so it made it easier for me financially to handle it. And then there were a few times where I needed a break, and if they could suspend a payment they did or only took out partial to help me out. GreenPath worked with me and I paid off $40,000 in five years and I’m done. I still owe 20 and they asked if they could help me with it. I said I want to try and do this on my own.

When I was doing the program with GreenPath, I called the reps and explained what I was looking for, and they would total my accounts into the computer and figure out where I was at. If I needed a certain amount of dollars they'd figure out what they could take and what I have to pay. I spoke with whoever was available and they were always there for me and they were so helpful. GreenPath took all the stress that I was having off of me so I could actually live a life. I had the most wonderful experience with GreenPath and I would highly recommend them to anybody.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the positive feedback and recommendation. Congratulations on paying off your debts! Thank you for sharing your story. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I've been with GreenPath for four years now, and I've had a very good experience with them. They have good service and ever since the beginning, they have been professional and helpful. I went online to look at different places, and their website caught me. I was thinking of filing bankruptcy, but that was something they didn't want to do. I then had them consolidate my debts. Their application was easy to follow. They got a hold of me right away and whenever I would call, they would get back to me. Also, a couple of times I needed to change my date and they did it for me with no problem.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the positive feedback. Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

Have a great day!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I fell into some trouble and I needed some guidance and help. A friend had told me about GreenPath and so I trust her judgment and went with them. Everyone that I spoke with was very helpful and polite. They catered to what I could afford and we went with it. Plus, the cost was excellent. Everything was awesome and I couldn’t be more pleased with GreenPath.

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am happy to hear that everything was awesome! Please let us know if there is any assistance you need with your financial goals in the future!

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg