4.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

GreenPath is a national nonprofit that supports people’s lifelong financial wellness. We have nearly 60 years of experience in guiding people through financial crisis, and we’re expanding to deliver a full spectrum of people-centered resources and tools for every step of the journey. Our financial experts help people, across the United States, ease financial stress, save for the future, make informed financial decisions, and achieve their financial goals.

Everyone deserves the chance to pursue their dreams. We empower people to make healthy financial choices that support their goals.

View More View More

471 GreenPath Financial Wellness Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 3, 2019

My previous relationship got me into some deep debt and it was kinda hard to get out of by myself so I looked for some guidance and some debt management. GreenPath was very helpful and cutting the interest rate was huge. I was able to manage it, and they worked with me to come up with a plan to do so. They set me up a fine and manageable payment plan because they listened to what I had, they looked over my bills at that time and worked with me. They didn’t leave me in such a bind to where I couldn't eat. I was pretty limited, but I knew into going to it. They didn’t put me in a pinch to where it was that uncomfortable.

In the beginning, my interactions with their reps were great. The guy who helped me set up everything was fine. He was very thorough and made sure everything was in order. There were no hitches along the way and I very seldom had to call for anything. But towards the end, I was calling often because I was paying off a lot more than what my normal was and I took the initiative to tell them to take out extra deposits. I had to deal with a different rep every time because it was like a call center. So, sometimes it works and sometimes it didn’t, but most of the time, it did. Some people were ready to talk fast and move on to the next person.

I also got a few instances that they wanted to do what they wanted to do versus what I wanted to do with my money. But other than that, it all worked out. I had access to them whenever I needed and luckily, I didn’t hit anything along the way because everything kept working out fine. I would recommend GreenPath. They were a big relief because they did the payments and did the work. They took out money, so I was aware of it each month and I just kept watching the balance go down. They gave me peace of mind and it added comfort just knowing I wasn’t the only one dealing with the problem anymore. It was a big weight off someone’s shoulders.

Hello Donna,

Debt can be so overwhelming. I am very happy that we were able to help you pay it off in a manageable way. That is just how the program is supposed to work! Congratulations on completing the program!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

My credit card company recommended GreenPath when I was trying to get out of debt. Their enrollment process was very easy and the person I spoke to walked me through it step by step, laid out how much debt I had, and about how long it was gonna take me to get out of it. We worked out a payment plan, and it was straightforward. Their reps have been very professional any time I have had to interact with them, and they were very understanding about whether or not I was able to make the payments that month. They would check up on me at least once a year to make sure that I was still staying on track, and if I had any new debt. But for the most part, I didn’t have too much interaction with them unless there was some issue like automatic payments not going through, then I would have to contact them. But usually, it was just a clerical error.

Their program worked out well for me because I'm not in debt anymore. I just stick to my payment plan, and they pulled it automatically from my account, so I didn’t even notice it was gone. It was a hassle-free experience. I completed the program in a little less than five years to clear all my debt. In terms of the cost in relation to the quality of the service I received, it didn’t cost me anything in the sense that they were the ones that were dealing with my creditors to settle my accounts. Part of the reason I went with them is they're non-profit so it didn't feel like I was being taken advantage of which was comforting at the time. It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier. It was overall a very pleasant experience and I've recommended them to a few people that are going through a similar situation.

Hello Timothy,

In your review, you said "It's never pleasant to be in debt, but they made the transition out of debt a lot easier." That is so very true about it being unpleasant, and making the transition easier is precisely what we strive for!

I am so pleased to read about your experience with us. You are due a huge congratulations for getting out of debt! AMAZING!

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Well, I've reached the end of my GreenPath journey, which feels odd, as I feel like I've been paying money towards these debts my entire life (in reality it was about 12 years). My debts were predominantly medical, based around not working after an accident, going through depression and stress, adding up mismanagement of credit cards in my 20s, and pure denial that I needed to deal with the rising bills. I was told about GreenPath through a family friend, and an account was created for me in which I could pay off various bills slowly, and GreenPath would handle the damage; the threatening phone calls, the intimidating reminders in the mail.

As I changed jobs and my salaries grew, so did the amounts I was able to put through GreenPath. Originally $20 here and there, then $40 a week, then $60, then paying whole bills outright. The process is by no means easy; you still need to double check collection letters you get to see amounts (together myself and a GreenPath representative were able to find discrepancies in bills I was receiving in my favor), you need to save everything you get by email or mail for taxes and oversight, and if you overdraw on your account, you get penalized for it.

But the program WORKS. I didn't feel shamed by my debt, I was able to contact GreenPath at any time to ask about certain withdrawals, or how much I still had left to pay, or even if I could pay something outright because I had the extra funds that week. It helped me immensely to see these high numbers going lower and lower each week, and I really love on the new website how you were able to track your goals and see the calendar that showed when you had to pay and when you would receive a fresh statement.

I can grieve and be sad for the foolish choices I made with my money or the predatory cards I signed up for, but that's not GreenPath's fault. They're there to make an already stressful situation easier. I am debt free except for student loans. What that means is I can solely focus on bringing those numbers down, and I have the skill and tools to do it. I can also look back on who I was as a person and how I handled money when I started, and who I am now and how much has changed. I am grateful for this program, and I would recommend it to anyone. There is hope, and you don't need to be ashamed or scared you'll never get out of debt. You will.

Hello Leanne,

It probably does feel odd to have so much debt paid off - but in the best of ways! Congratulations on completing your program! It is such an incredible accomplishment!

You are NOT alone in having found yourself with more debt than you ever intended to get into. It is something that could easily happen to anyone. This is why we are so passionate about helping people pay off debt at GreenPath. You're absolutely right - it isn't easy. But the hard work you put in really paid off.

Congratulations again! Very best of luck to you.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I did a big job change which took a big pay cut. So, I had a lot of high credit cards and I was paying them all on time but I was paying the minimum payments and the interest was adding up. I had at least 24,000 just in credit cards and I didn’t want my credit to get completely racked. At that point, I needed to think of a way to get them paid off and I thought that consolidation would be the best thing to do. When I spoke to my banker at Bank of America, he suggested to call GreenPath, so I did.

Everyone that I spoke with or dealt with at GreenPath was awesome. The rep that signed me up was absolutely amazing. I called several times as well because I wanted to put extra money on my account and they made everything so easy. And all my bills got paid. They called the credit card companies and negotiated an interest rate. Then based on what my salary was, I would pay GreenPath so they could pay the credit cards off for me. Also, I recently relocated out-of-state and I was worried that my credit was destroyed. But I didn’t need extra deposits for anything and my credit score’s still standing in good terms.

Aside from that, I was mostly impressed with the communication that GreenPath have with their clients. Any time that they would communicate that they paid off something, they would also tell you that you need to call your creditor and double check. They would send you a text message as well if you signed up for that and they would send you an email. You could log-in to your portal, too, if you wanted and they would give you all the tools that you needed. So everything that they did was consistent across the board.

Other than that, I was never tracked back. I owed 4,000 in one card and I ended up paying it all off. Even when I did that, they told me that I still got three left and that they would call and see what the final rate was. Then someone else called me back and told me my final payment. They were transparent through the whole process and I was not left in the dark. I would recommend GreenPath to anybody. I would tell them that from what I experienced, they were easy to work with and I was never stressed out.

Dear Stefanie,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am extremely pleased to read about your experience with us. Consistent communication and transparency are very important to us, so I am so happy to hear that you experienced these things with us.

We are honored to have been able to help you through your program. Thank you for being our client!

Sincerely,

Quality Assurance Coordinator

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I bank with PNC Bank and they highly recommended GreenPath. But there was a little bit of a hang-up in the beginning. There were certain restrictions on who GreenPath could communicate with. They couldn't get over the hurdle and communicate with the bank about the minutia of the negotiation of what could be paid, when it could be paid and how it was gonna be paid. That was the only frustration that I had. At least, it was this way several years ago. There was a lot that fell on the client to communicate to the people at the bank and the people at the company. Then of course, people at the bank and people at GreenPath would ask a question but because I’m not a banker and I don’t work for GreenPath, I didn't always have the answer to those.

It was very difficult to get on the same page with everybody. I didn’t understand why there wasn’t a better working relationship, because it was a referral, as far as communications between the bank and GreenPath. The back and forth became aggravating because there was only so much information, even with me being a person who does his research and his due diligence. It would have been easier if GreenPath could pick up the phone, talk to the person who was handling my debt and work some of those things out. Then they could communicate with me as the third-party and say what result they had come to then ask if I was happy with that. That would have been a much more seamless transition in process.

All the while, I was also having to make payments and those were larger payments than I could really afford at that time. But I saw the value in the company and thankfully, after a couple of weeks of back and forth, and phone tags, we finally got the right people from my bank to communicate with GreenPath. Everything was able to be finalized in quotes, prices and interests rates. Then it was a smooth process ever since. Once the ball got rolling, they were great. GreenPath is a great company and they do a great job of what they do.

In the beginning, there was also one person who ran things pretty well. But then I lost contact with him or he didn’t get back until it was done. Then we got put through to somebody else and they had a different way of doing things. Still, GreenPath was really flexible as far as getting a manageable payment. The bi-weekly pay schedule was hard for us but that was understandable as well. If the bank was only gonna accept X amount of dollars and GreenPath was trying to get it lower than that then you have to get that negotiation process where the bank is okay with paying X amount of dollars every month. So GreenPath did a good job in trying to meet the needs of the customer while at the same time, being able to do what they’re allowed to do by way of having to deal with the bank.

The cost was also fair and the quality was definitely worth the money. The service definitely helped me. Even in getting all of my debt paid off and getting married, I spoke with a consultant who helped me get everything finalized. They also offered services for future banking, getting our budget and paying what was lined up for me and my future wife. So the outcome, or the juice, is worth the squeeze. I’m going into a marriage consumer debt-free. The only things I have are student loan debts because I went to law school. That’s all I am carrying with me and GreenPath helped me do that.

Dear Joshua,

Yes, with PNC bank, they do require a hand-signed release in order to process a proposal. This can make the initial process with PNC a little laborious, we understand. This is simply the policy that PNC has.

Additionally, it is often the case that the first few weeks of the program are the toughest. However, I am glad that we were able to get all the creases ironed out in the end. I am very sorry for the difficulties in the interim.

I am happy that it was an overall positive experience. Going into marriage with no consumer debt is a huge accomplishment and you are due a huge congratulations on that!

I wish you the very best going forward! Please know that we are here to help should the need arise in the future.

Quality Assurance Coordinator

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

GreenPath provided me with a debt solution program for my bill, loan and credit card debt. Their enrollment process was easy. I had an interview with a counselor over the phone and we went over everything. Their reps were all really professional and did a good job. My credit started going up as the debt got paid down. The program was set up to be about five years, but I did it in four, which I completed a couple of months ago. And the quality of the service that I got was very good.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I was in debt and I needed somebody to help me to consolidate my credit card debt. My niece referred me to GreenPath. Enrollment with them was okay. They led me through it and I understood what they were saying. I call and ask a question, and the reps were all very thorough in answering it. They helped me out a whole lot. I'm completed after almost three years. Everything was fine, and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The folks at GreenPath were exceptionally professional and very nice and down-to-earth and not judgemental. Paid off my debt in less than 5 years and would highly recommend this program to anyone. I am a senior citizen but this would be great for young folks with college debt or credit card debt. Again I highly recommend this program to anyone who is struggling with debt.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

GreenPath helped me get back on track after many years of hardships and obstacles. From credit card debt/medical bills to a car loan for a car that was totaled after only having for 5 months and no gap insurance, everything has been paid off. The plan was set up and the payments were deducted directly from our account. GreenPath maintained communication throughout the entire process and I could not be happier with the results.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

YES I would to thank everyone at GreenPath for getting us out of debt. We now have excellent credit, we are debt free and we have an extra $200 in our pockets for spending and savings. We often get credit cards but we just tear them up. If we don't have the monies we don't buy. Carlos & Sherrie

GreenPath Financial Wellness expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Established in 1961 as Michigan Credit Union League, GreenPath debt solutions has grown into a full nonprofit financial services organization. The company has offices across the country and helps more than 200,000 people annually.

• Recognition and certification: GreenPath was one of the first agencies approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide bankruptcy counseling and education services. GreenPath’s accreditations include the Council on Accreditation (COA), National Foundation for Credit counseling (NFCC) and The U.S, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

• Free counseling: The company offers free credit and debt counseling along with financial education. Their other services are available for low and transparent fees.

• In-person help: GreenPath has offices in all 50 states to help clients who prefer to seek help in-person.

• Services: GreenPath helps with credit counseling, debt management, housing issues, student loan debt, credit report problems, reverse mortgages and bankruptcy. Their extensive GreenPath University provides financial education and includes financial calculators, eLearning, videos and webinars.

• Credit report support: They have specialists to help clients review their credit report and improve their credit score.

• Bankruptcy: The company is approved by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide counseling needed to file Chapters 7 or 13 bankruptcy.

• Best for: individuals with, credit card, student loan debt, credit report problems and bankruptcy.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg