Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.5/5 (3739 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

This program has allowed us to relax and enjoy life again without the pain of harassing phone calls. It is great to see our debt decreasing. I never thought that it would happen. The FDR program really a great program.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Debra. We're so happy to hear how much we have helped alleviate the stress you were experiencing. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Received a summons and kinda freaked out. The person on the phone (wish I remembered his name) was very professional and calmed me down. He assured me that I needed to upload the document and they would handle the situation for me.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Michelle. We take pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Everything was on track. I even upped my deposit amount to end sooner. Then my last account became a nightmare. Couldn’t get the last account closed. Every time I called I received a different answer. American Express started to call me again about the account. So instead of ending earlier it was dragged out. I had to keep calling weekly just to see the status and would get a different answer. It is finally resolved and looks like it will be paid off on the 22nd of this month. It should have been sooner.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Maria. Settlements are dependent on accumulating sufficient funds in order to settle the debt and as long as we continue accumulating funds we should have no problems meeting your goals in realistic timeframes! We are happy to hear everything worked out well and we look forward to your brighter financial future. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

My credit score has already come up and I'm back in the good range and heading for excellent. I definitely couldn't have don't it without Freedom Debt Relief. The customer service is excellent and the process was super easy. Managing and accessing my account is convenient as well.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! We take pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

The cost of settlements seem high and time for accounts seem to be a little slow. The dates of settlements can change a lot. I wish dates of settlements would be a little more accurate. I have no idea what happens to my funds after I pay off debts.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Jack, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Keep in mind that our settlement fees are bigger savings than having to pay your creditors the full 100% of the debt owed + interest % + any additional fees they charge. Yes, your creditor may have presented a lower settlement amount, but that is just to pull you back in so they could hit you with having to pay the full balance. Our settlements are secure and offer you a reduction in your debt that will lead you to become financially free! Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I liked the way FDR's plan was stated. They reviewed everything and they told me how much. They also made sure I could afford the payment plan and I agreed to it. It's been a relief. I haven't been as stressed because I've been able to pay them and they deal with the creditors. I don't have to deal with the creditor calls. I didn't want to file bankruptcy, so this was a good alternative. My dad went through a different outfit and the problems he's had, I'm really happy I'm with Freedom.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Jodi, we cannot tell you how elated we are to hear about your experience! We're so happy to hear how much we have helped alleviate the stress you were experiencing. Rest assured you are in good hands and we're working hard to obtain great settlements on your accounts. We want to make sure we're not just settling your debt but also being able to reduce your debt. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

They help me a lot to get my credit paid off. I am at the finish line real soon. Thank You a lot. I started them up before my surgery because my life was changing and I could not make the payments but wanted to pay my bills not do a bankruptcy.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Debra thank you for sharing your experience with us! Rest assured you are in good hands and we're working hard to obtain great settlements on your accounts. We want to make sure we're not just settling your debt but also being able to reduce your debt. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

If I get hit with 1099s. I will have to pay everything twice. I am opting out. I might lose all that I bought and worked hard for. The interest is high but I did it, I rather be in debt long term than lose all that I have.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Barry, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. In some cases, clients may be required to pay taxes on their forgiven debt, but it is possible to avoid declaring the forgiven debt if a person meets the IRS's definition of liabilities exceeding assets at the time of settlement. Note: FDR is not a tax consultant, so please contact your tax advisor if you have further questions. Please call us at 800-655-6303 if you need any further assistance.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I recently finished my program with Freedom Debt Relief- The staff and service was amazing- They were always so helpful and knowledgeable every step of the way- This was very welcome since I was in a really stressful situation- Working with this program felt like a 100 pound weight was taken off of my shoulders- My only complaint was the amount of settlement fees that was charged after every settlement as well as a monthly service fee which totalled to over $2900 over a two year period- I want everybody to be aware of this before they consider this program.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share with us, Julie. We are thrilled to serve you and are excited to hear about your success. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Sometimes I question why do you arrange small payments which make the settlement longer. Please explain. I'm looking forward to finishing my debt. Please tell me my expected pay off date. I have been pleased so far but would like to be informed more often. I do $500 a month and had increased from $400 despite the pandemic. Thank you. Please let me know.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Edward, thank you for reviewing your experience. Settlements are dependent on accumulating sufficient funds in order to settle the debt and as long as we continue accumulating funds we should have no problems meeting your goals in realistic timeframes. The reason we send small payments to creditors once we settle, is because by doing that we have the opportunity to settle more than one account at a time. Please call us at 800-655-6303 if you need any further assistance. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information