Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.4/5 (3787 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have been very satisfied with my service. Thank you for helping me with this. I would definitely recommend your services. You have been there when I have called and been willing to help me. Everyone has been kind and compassionate.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Jolene. It's great to hear you received the utmost level of customer service when speaking with us. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

The enrollment is easy. You will need to add the credit card number. So far I have very good experience. Every time I contact them I get the answer and follow. It is slow process so you have to be patient. Thank you.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Rosa, thank you for reviewing your experience. We work very hard to make sure that this program alleviates your stress and your debt, we appreciate you being patient while we work our magic! Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Very helpful in helping with my debt and helping deal with the collector's and always help me deal with the phone calls and keep track of my accounts so I know where my money is going and what is getting paid.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Richard. We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Freedom Debt Relief has been nothing but a major headache on my bank book. My credit has been destroyed.... When I enlisted I had less Debt.. This company did not disclose that every time I make a payment it costs me an additional $10 to financial crossroads along with the additional $9.95 a month that they take to maintain the account. National litigation log group there's a ** joke. I paid them $12 a month for 3 1/2 years if I needed illegal representation. When the time came, I needed legal representation and they turned and went the other way. The money that I paid them they got to keep, but they NEVER provided any service.

This company, like I said has cost me more money. Almost $2000 just for the last settlement alone. Don't forget the $9.95 a month on top of an additional $10 a month to make a payment and let's not forget the $12 for the service national litigation law group "DOES NOT" provide. To sum this up, "I wouldn't recommend freedom debt relief to my worst enemy"....

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Jamie, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We strive to provide great service and provide debt relief. We take feedback very seriously and for those reasons an account specialist will reach out to you shortly regarding your experience. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Great services, always ready to help and they keep their commitment’s with the services they offer. Since I barely started with the program, I felt scared. But when I called customer service and told them how I felt, they assured me that they would be with me every step of the way and they have. Thank you.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Pedro. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts and exceptional team. Our top goal is to make sure we support our clients every step toward a brighter financial future. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I totally appreciate their professionalism and excellent customer service skills. I recommend their services to anyone with excessive debt to get better results than you can on your own in a lot less time. Freedom Debt Relief is truly a lifesaver regarding decreasing your debt.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Robyn. We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

No one emails me so I can find out where my money is going...who has been paid. If no reply from you I will cancel this program. My interest rates have gone wild. Y'all don't tell the creditors you are working on my inf and bills.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Barbara, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We strive to provide great service and provide debt relief. We take feedback very seriously and for those reasons an account specialist will reach out to you shortly regarding your experience. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Would give zero stars if I could. Would not recommend to anyone. I settled most of the cards myself because Freedom was taking way too long. I made large deposits into my account and yet they were not settling. Ruined my credit score. All customer representatives give standard canned responses. The one out of six cards they settled I had left with them due to getting a subpoena and was worried about having to go to court. 16 phone calls later they finally settled for a mere 1200 less than original balance. But then they charged me a $1350 settlement fee. Really??!! Would tell anyone to run the other way. You too can stop paying your cards, save the money, ruin your own credit without the “help” from freedom. Worst and most stressful, disappointing experience ever!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience, Elizabeth. Yes you can negotiate your own debts. You can also do your own taxes and repair your own car, but most people would rather leave these tasks to experienced professionals. Freedom Debt Relief has been negotiating savings for our clients with hundreds of creditors since we started in 2002. Our knowledge and experience puts us in a strong position to stand up to your creditors and fight for the best settlements possible. Compare our fees to the 100% debt + interest % + late fees + penalty fees if someone can't meet the monthly required minimum payment. We offer a proven solution at an affordable monthly cost that helps our clients pay down their entire debt - principal, fees, interest and all. Rebuilding credit is far easier to do than getting out of a sizable debt problem, which is why clients turn to us despite any credit score issues they may incur. Almost everyone can have excellent credit in two years or less following a simple plan, no matter how bad their credit is today. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I was not aware at the beginning how bad my credit would be affected by this solution your team choose to take in prolonging payment so the the settlement with the loaners. This has set me back on buying a house and being unhappy where I am currently in my life!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Jose, thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief to assist you with your financial goals. It is our goal to provide you with excellent service and help you better manage debts for a better financial future. We understand your concerns about the program and we appreciate the feedback. Due to the nature of your concerns an account specialist will reach out to you to address any questions or concerns you may have. Again thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The first impression that I had of FDR was a very knowledgeable but kind and understanding to my need to be inquiring about your service. This employee is Stephanie ** (sp. may be wrong). She is GREAT. All employees of FDR have been wonderful.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Donna. We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Being in debt is not funny. Remember if and when you're Struggling during times of debt and you have no way out. The Best decision I have ever made in making the call to the Freedom Debt Relief program for assistance.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Josie. We're so happy to hear how much we have helped alleviate the stress you were experiencing. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Doing further research after agreeing on the 4 year debt consolidation deal. I figured out I could of negotiated these deals on my own and saved my credit. You live and you learn. Nice people to work with, professional, I’ll give them that.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Jeremy, thank you for reviewing your experience. We applaud each client when taking their first step to becoming debt free as we know it takes a lot to be able to make that decision. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Service has been very good. Other than you associated business, which I was told occupies the same building you're in, contacted me on numerous occasions to loan me money. A No Thank You once wasn't good enough for them. They pestered me a half dozen times.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Raymond. We take pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

So far I'm pleased with the company, keep up the good work, and they're very understanding about you and your problems. I would recommend them to everyone, they work with you to help you though it, it would be awesome if they loan money, God bless.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Myrna. We applaud each client when taking their first step to becoming debt free as we know it takes a lot to be able to make that decision. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

We are very happy with the help that Freedom Debt Relief gave us during a difficult time. They made the process clear and understandable. We are now on our way to a debt free future. The staff at Freedom Debt Relief were always courteous and professional while being very helpful throughout the entire process.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Shameron. We’re elated to be able to assist you along your debt-free journey. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Everyone has been friendly and taken care of my issues and concerns. So far a great experience. I am looking forward to seeing how fast my debt gets cleared. I highly recommend this company so far. A great group of people, with understanding of how things happen in life that causes us debt problems.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Angel, for taking the time to leave us a review! It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts and exceptional team. Rest assured you are in good hands and we're working hard to obtain great settlements on your accounts. We want to make sure we're not just settling your debt but also being able to reduce your debt. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Great service and they real care. They help me in Two bad situation. I do recommend them and I trust them. They keep you updated and give you information to educate you and answer questions that you need to know.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Eloise. We work very hard to ensure our clients are able to receive not only debt relief, but also stress relief, as we want the program to feel easy for everyone. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I would highly recommend Freedom Debt Relief for helping you pay off your credit card debt. They are professional and knowledgeable of the situation. They are always readily available to answer any questions and their website is easy to use.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Pamela. We’re elated to be able to assist you along your debt-free journey. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

The program kept me from doing bankruptcy. It helped me clear up my creditors and pay them off. They just cleaned up the last account. It should be done in a couple of weeks. Working with Freedom Debt Relief certainly kept me in mind of when I spend money that's on a card for details on how much I spend.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Ruben! We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Cory is number one - he is so friendly and helpful. He answered all of my questions with ease and helped me to better understand what my options were. No is quite like Cory. If you are in debt, find help, find Cory.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Molley-Kate. It's great to hear you received the utmost level of customer service when speaking with us. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Didn't realize how much money they take after settling debt. Would have been better off settling on my own and save thousands of dollars. I get it's saving me the hassle and everything has a charge but it's insane. How are you really saving yourself when settle debt 50% then they ask for 20% so in end really only settle for 30% and could do alone and cut middleman.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Rachel. Keep in mind that our settlement fees are bigger savings than having to pay your creditors the full 100% of the debt owed + interest % + any additional fees they charge. Yes, your creditor may have presented a lower settlement amount, but that is just to pull you back in so they could hit you with having to pay the full balance. Our settlements are secure and offer you a reduction in your debt that will lead you to become financially free. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

This company has kept me well informed of my account. They have actively worked on my debts to settle the accounts. Their website is very easy to use and has all the information I need on it. I have been able to get in contact with customer service each time I have had a question.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Noella. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts and exceptional team. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Not enough communication about my debt and what to do about it. No explanation on what the debt is for and why it takes so long to settle it. Why do I have to pay a fee to settle my debt? You need much more contact with people you're working with in the program.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Chad, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We strive to provide great service and provide debt relief. We take feedback very seriously and for those reasons an account specialist will reach out to you shortly regarding your experience. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I am very pleased with the way my debt is being resolved. The relief from constant phone calls from creditors and having Freedom handling the accounts is worth so much. The back up of people helping to resolve my accounts means a lot and everyone I've dealt with has been more than helpful.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Rita. We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

They make everything real easy. Anytime I get contacted by debt collectors I just forward the information on and I'm done. It's such a huge relief to not have to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone who has found themselves in a financial bind but is not willing to file bankruptcy.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Richard. It's great to hear you received the utmost level of customer service when speaking with us. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I'm very happy with them. I had the mindset of thinking that I could climb out of this debt on my own, but it's so much more helpful to have a team of people, especially with Freedom Debt Relief. It's worth whatever fees you pay. It’s been great.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Michael. We are thrilled to accompany your journey to financial freedom. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your every step! Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I was misled. When I signed up, (May 2018) it was estimated that it would take 48 months and either be around $36,000 (back page) or up to a little less than $54,000 as listed on a comparison page. It seems it will take about 6 years and significantly more than even the high estimate of the savings comparison page. I have made all payments, enrolled debt was accurate and I have already paid $47,000. At this rate, I will be at my enrolled debt almost-saving very little.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Patrice, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We strive to provide great service and provide debt relief. We take feedback very seriously and for those reasons an account specialist will reach out to you shortly regarding your experience. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

On point with everything going on. Consistently contacting with everything going on step by step. Phone call is very pleasant, quick and easy and the portal is so easy to navigate and very understanding. On point with the payments processing.

Freedom Debt Relief response

William, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! It's great to hear you received the utmost level of customer service when speaking with us. Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The last 2 settlements and future settlements its obvious I'm paying too much settlement fees, every time I agree to settle with a creditor, just look at the history of my accounts, Synchrony account, Avant account and Lending Club you did excellent in getting me a fair settlement now I pay full price and more fees than before, hope you could do "BETTER" "SETTLEMENT" LOWER FEES!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Cesar, thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We strive to provide great service and provide debt relief. We take feedback very seriously and for those reasons an account specialist will reach out to you shortly regarding your experience. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I have been pleasantly surprised by this speed of service. I received a settlement within the first month of signing up for the service. It is satisfying watching your debt melt away. Plus, once the creditors know you are working with Freedom Debt Relief, the phone calls stopped.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Nichelle. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts and exceptional team. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information