3.7/5 (6 ratings)

About American Consumer Credit Counseling

American Consumer Credit Counseling is a nonprofit agency that helps consumers get their finances under control. It offers credit and bankruptcy counseling as well as a debt management program. American Consumer Credit Counseling focuses on assisting customers with all forms of unsecured debt relief.

Pros

• Low monthly debt management fees
  • Consolidates unsecured debts
  • Free credit counseling

Cons

• Initial hit to credit score

Bottom Line

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers counseling and debt management services to consumers struggling with large amounts of unsecured debt.

What does American Consumer Credit Counseling offer?

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers free financial counseling sessions for consumers struggling with unsecured debt. During the session, a qualified credit counselor reviews your income, expenses, assets and liabilities. Then they lay out possible courses of action, and provide helpful resources, including educational materials and social service referrals. Depending on your financial situation, the company may suggest enrolling in its debt management program, which is available for a monthly fee.

American Consumer Credit Counseling also offers other services, including:

• Budget counseling
  • Bankruptcy counseling
  • Student loan counseling
  • Housing counseling

American Consumer Credit Counseling debt management

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers its debt management program for a small monthly fee. The company's goal is to make sure you have access to the best possible debt solution, whether it's joining a debt management program or working on your own.

Under the company's debt management program, you make one monthly payment to American Consumer Credit Counseling. Its representatives then use that money to pay your creditors. American Consumer Credit Counseling also negotiates with your creditors in an attempt to reduce your interest rates.

If you choose to join an American Consumer Credit Counseling's debt management program, it helps you establish healthy payment habits. Its debt management program lasts for four to five years, but your time in the program primarily depends on the amount of debt you have and your creditors' willingness to work with you.

American Consumer Credit Counseling fees

There's no cost for credit counseling sessions with American Consumer Credit Counseling. If you choose to join its debt management program, the American Consumer Credit Counseling charges a one-time payment of $39 and a monthly maintenance fee that ranges from $5 to a maximum of $50. The company may waive or reduce these fees if you show financial hardship.

American Consumer Credit Counseling FAQ

How long does American Consumer Credit Counseling take?
American Consumer Credit Counseling debt management programs take between four and five years. They can be shorter, however, if participants pay more than the minimum monthly amount.
Can you cancel American Consumer Credit Counseling?
Since a debt management program is voluntary, you can cancel at any time by contacting the company directly. By canceling, you risk losing any agreed-upon concessions from creditors.
How does American Consumer Credit Counseling affect your credit?
Your credit score may decrease at the beginning of the program. However, if you follow the rules and regularly pay off debt, your score should eventually improve again.
Does American Consumer Credit Counseling cost a lot?
The initial credit counseling is free. If you choose to join a debt management program, you pay an enrollment fee of $39 and a monthly fee between $5 and $50. These fees may be waived according to your state’s laws or based on your financial hardship.

Is American Consumer Credit Counseling legit?

American Consumer Credit Counseling is a solid resource for financial advice and resources. Its initial consultation is free, which makes it an ideal way to receive expert advice and recommendations. If you’re struggling with unsecured debt, such as credit card debt, check out its debt management program, which helps borrowers pay off debt more quickly.

American Consumer Credit Counseling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Consumer Credit Counseling?

Original review: May 19, 2022

I really wish I found this company 5 years ago! I spoke with representative Keva, she was absolutely amazing. If I had to give her stars I would rate her services a 10/10 because of the professionalism, understanding and patience that she provided me on my road to financial recovery. It can feel really scary, uncertain and black and white but in time all things will come together. This company will require your patience, faith, diligence, and willpower to commit to want to be in a better financial standing by following the plan that they offer. Words can’t describe the much needed relief and peace that I feel. Thank you!!

American Consumer Credit Counseling response

Thank you for sharing your experience with our representative Keva. We are glad Keva was professional, patient and understanding during your session. We love knowing our representatives are providing amazing customer service to our clients. We greatly appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

This was my 2nd time helping an elderly friend obtain a HECM loan and Reese offered more. Information than the other company we used. I am impressed with his help and patience! I would recommend highly!

American Consumer Credit Counseling response

Thank you for sharing your experience with our representative Reese. We are glad Reese was so helpful and patient during your session. We really appreciate your feedback.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I spoke to your representative named Ben **... He was very helpful, knowledgeable and professional in his conversation with me... Excellent representation for your company and the services provided... Neil **.

American Consumer Credit Counseling response

Thank you for the great review, Eleanor! We're glad to hear you found our staff to be helpful. We appreciate the feedback!

Original review: July 13, 2021

My experience with ACCC couldn't have been better. Imani was incredibly kind, compassionate, and thorough as we went through the counseling and program process. I felt like I was in the best of hands and I was. Thank you so much, Imani and ACCC!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I signed up for this company in the summer of 1999. They were great at first, but then I started getting notices from companies claiming they were not receiving any payments. The company was drafting money from my account, once a month, but sending it to the creditors. It ruined my credit, and I had to go to the bank to get the bank to block them from withdrawing funds.

Original review: July 19, 2014

I sent cancellation notice via certified mail as instructed. The notice WAS received 3 days before payment was due and they took the funds from my account anyway, resulting in 2 overdraft charges, one for the payment itself and one for the attorney fees. After I contacted them they refunded the payment but not the attorney fee or 2 overdraft charges which they agreed to over the phone if I sent them my statement info, which I did. They claim they didn't receive notice in time but refused to show me proof even though I have receipt of them receiving it within the 3 days prior.

Original review: March 1, 2011

I hired tucker ** in October who claimed could fix my credit score and remove foreclosure and bankruptcy from my credit score in 3 months. My credit score did not change. Every time I called him, he was rude, nasty, and said it was going to take time. I have tried to call his superiors but have not received a response. He continues to speak to me in a nasty tone, talking down to me. Nothing has changed regarding my credit report. The responses from the credit company are stated as frivolous and unfounded.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2010

American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a nonprofit consumer education and financial counseling organization that has been in business since 1991. As one of the leading credit counseling and education agencies in the nation, ACCC strives to empower consumers to regain control of their financial lives. ACCC services include credit counseling, bankruptcy counseling, housing counseling, and debt management plan and consumer education. ACCC does not provide nor has ever provided a free credit report trial.

Every consumer who contacts our counseling center is provided a free budget counseling session unrelated to credit reports. Our counselors work with consumers to evaluate their specific situation and provide them a plan of action. ACCC does not charge fees associated with a counseling session. If you would like to learn more about ACCC's counseling and educational services, go to ConsumerCredit.com.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

They said that my mother signed a paper agreeing to certain percentages on loans that she had. On the statement she got every month, it said 0% for one account. I called them and asked for a copy of the signed agreement; they said that they don't have it. She has overpaid $9000 over the last 5 years.

Original review: July 19, 2009

I came across a website of American Consumer Credit Counseling after I googled loan consolidation, not debit consolidation. I signed up for a free trial that also gives you a free credit report profile so you can check your own credit report. I've seen they were debit consolidation only and left their website immediately as I never believed in scam companies like this. A month later, which was recently 7/17/09, I was checking my bank statement online and seen $162.50 was withdrawn out of my account. I called the number on my statement as I did not recognize the name ACCC. As any scam program, it's always a recording, and they gave the name American Consumer Credit Counseling. It took forever to even remember them, and then I remembered when I stumbled on their website and did the free sign up to get a copy of my credit report.

Well, I guess they got all the information from my credit report on me and banking information and took it upon themselves to deduct $162.50 out of my checking account which I never gave them authority to do. Who do they think they are just forcing their service on people and taking what they want out of people's personal bank account from information that was not given to them? It was stolen by them. I have yet to talk to a live person from them yet, but since it is the weekend, I will have to wait until Monday to go to my bank and dispute this since I signed nothing or agreed to nothing authorizing them to withdraw this unbelievable amount of money.

My credit card monthly payments do not even total up to $162.50/mo, LOL, so I never would have agreed to this. I cannot afford this extra amount every month. It would kill me financially. They claim to be a counseling service, well interesting, because I have talked to no one from this company, so what service were they exactly charging me for? I also expect they will be deducting this amount monthly, that's just outrageous. I want to look into legal advice because what they did was plain robbery. It was wrong. They took my information and helped themselves to my bank account. Maybe if they start getting sued, they will think twice before stealing people's information.

I can't pay any of my other bills now because $162.50 is a lot of money to me. And if I even get this money back, I'm sure they will wait months to even refund it to me. I now will never sign up for anything free to get info on them. I trust no one. Once they have your bank info, they can take whatever they want and get away with it. I will also be forced to close my checking account if I am not refunded this money because they will continue to deduct $162.50 monthly for nothing. I am so angry right now for what they did. This is identity theft.

American Consumer Credit Counseling Company Information