2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

American Consumer Credit Counseling

American Consumer Credit Counseling is a nonprofit agency that helps consumers get their finances under control. It offers credit and bankruptcy counseling as well as a debt management program. American Consumer Credit Counseling focuses on assisting customers with all forms of unsecured debt relief.

BOTTOM LINE

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers counseling and debt management services to consumers struggling with large amounts of unsecured debt.

PROS

• Low monthly debt management fees
  • Consolidates unsecured debts
  • Free credit counseling

CONS

• Initial hit to credit score

What does American Consumer Credit Counseling offer?

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers free financial counseling sessions for consumers struggling with unsecured debt. During the session, a qualified credit counselor reviews your income, expenses, assets and liabilities. Then they lay out possible courses of action, and provide helpful resources, including educational materials and social service referrals. Depending on your financial situation, the company may suggest enrolling in its debt management program, which is available for a monthly fee.

American Consumer Credit Counseling also offers other services, including:

• Budget counseling
  • Bankruptcy counseling
  • Student loan counseling
  • Housing counseling

American Consumer Credit Counseling debt management

American Consumer Credit Counseling offers its debt management program for a small monthly fee. The company's goal is to make sure you have access to the best possible debt solution, whether it's joining a debt management program or working on your own.

Under the company's debt management program, you make one monthly payment to American Consumer Credit Counseling. Its representatives then use that money to pay your creditors. American Consumer Credit Counseling also negotiates with your creditors in an attempt to reduce your interest rates.

If you choose to join an American Consumer Credit Counseling's debt management program, it helps you establish healthy payment habits. Its debt management program lasts for four to five years, but your time in the program primarily depends on the amount of debt you have and your creditors' willingness to work with you.

American Consumer Credit Counseling fees

There's no cost for credit counseling sessions with American Consumer Credit Counseling. If you choose to join its debt management program, the American Consumer Credit Counseling charges a one-time payment of $39 and a monthly maintenance fee that ranges from $5 to a maximum of $50. The company may waive or reduce these fees if you show financial hardship.

American Consumer Credit Counseling FAQ

How long does American Consumer Credit Counseling take?
American Consumer Credit Counseling debt management programs take between four and five years. They can be shorter, however, if participants pay more than the minimum monthly amount.
Can you cancel American Consumer Credit Counseling?
Since a debt management program is voluntary, you can cancel at any time by contacting the company directly. By canceling, you risk losing any agreed-upon concessions from creditors.
How does American Consumer Credit Counseling affect your credit?
Your credit score may decrease at the beginning of the program. However, if you follow the rules and regularly pay off debt, your score should eventually improve again.
Does American Consumer Credit Counseling cost a lot?
The initial credit counseling is free. If you choose to join a debt management program, you pay an enrollment fee of $39 and a monthly fee between $5 and $50. These fees may be waived according to your state’s laws or based on your financial hardship.

Is American Consumer Credit Counseling legit?

American Consumer Credit Counseling is a solid resource for financial advice and resources. Its initial consultation is free, which makes it an ideal way to receive expert advice and recommendations. If you’re struggling with unsecured debt, such as credit card debt, check out its debt management program, which helps borrowers pay off debt more quickly.

American Consumer Credit Counseling Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Consumer Credit Counseling?

Original review: April 16, 2019

I signed up for this company in the summer of 1999. They were great at first, but then I started getting notices from companies claiming they were not receiving any payments. The company was drafting money from my account, once a month, but sending it to the creditors. It ruined my credit, and I had to go to the bank to get the bank to block them from withdrawing funds.

Original review: July 19, 2014

I sent cancellation notice via certified mail as instructed. The notice WAS received 3 days before payment was due and they took the funds from my account anyway, resulting in 2 overdraft charges, one for the payment itself and one for the attorney fees. After I contacted them they refunded the payment but not the attorney fee or 2 overdraft charges which they agreed to over the phone if I sent them my statement info, which I did. They claim they didn't receive notice in time but refused to show me proof even though I have receipt of them receiving it within the 3 days prior.

Get buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 1, 2011

I hired tucker ** in October who claimed could fix my credit score and remove foreclosure and bankruptcy from my credit score in 3 months. My credit score did not change. Every time I called him, he was rude, nasty, and said it was going to take time. I have tried to call his superiors but have not received a response. He continues to speak to me in a nasty tone, talking down to me. Nothing has changed regarding my credit report. The responses from the credit company are stated as frivolous and unfounded.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2010

American Consumer Credit Counseling (ACCC) is a nonprofit consumer education and financial counseling organization that has been in business since 1991. As one of the leading credit counseling and education agencies in the nation, ACCC strives to empower consumers to regain control of their financial lives. ACCC services include credit counseling, bankruptcy counseling, housing counseling, and debt management plan and consumer education. ACCC does not provide nor has ever provided a free credit report trial.

Every consumer who contacts our counseling center is provided a free budget counseling session unrelated to credit reports. Our counselors work with consumers to evaluate their specific situation and provide them a plan of action. ACCC does not charge fees associated with a counseling session. If you would like to learn more about ACCC's counseling and educational services, go to ConsumerCredit.com.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

They said that my mother signed a paper agreeing to certain percentages on loans that she had. On the statement she got every month, it said 0% for one account. I called them and asked for a copy of the signed agreement; they said that they don't have it. She has overpaid $9000 over the last 5 years.

Original review: July 19, 2009

I came across a website of American Consumer Credit Counseling after I googled loan consolidation, not debit consolidation. I signed up for a free trial that also gives you a free credit report profile so you can check your own credit report. I've seen they were debit consolidation only and left their website immediately as I never believed in scam companies like this. A month later, which was recently 7/17/09, I was checking my bank statement online and seen $162.50 was withdrawn out of my account. I called the number on my statement as I did not recognize the name ACCC. As any scam program, it's always a recording, and they gave the name American Consumer Credit Counseling. It took forever to even remember them, and then I remembered when I stumbled on their website and did the free sign up to get a copy of my credit report.

Well, I guess they got all the information from my credit report on me and banking information and took it upon themselves to deduct $162.50 out of my checking account which I never gave them authority to do. Who do they think they are just forcing their service on people and taking what they want out of people's personal bank account from information that was not given to them? It was stolen by them. I have yet to talk to a live person from them yet, but since it is the weekend, I will have to wait until Monday to go to my bank and dispute this since I signed nothing or agreed to nothing authorizing them to withdraw this unbelievable amount of money.

My credit card monthly payments do not even total up to $162.50/mo, LOL, so I never would have agreed to this. I cannot afford this extra amount every month. It would kill me financially. They claim to be a counseling service, well interesting, because I have talked to no one from this company, so what service were they exactly charging me for? I also expect they will be deducting this amount monthly, that's just outrageous. I want to look into legal advice because what they did was plain robbery. It was wrong. They took my information and helped themselves to my bank account. Maybe if they start getting sued, they will think twice before stealing people's information.

I can't pay any of my other bills now because $162.50 is a lot of money to me. And if I even get this money back, I'm sure they will wait months to even refund it to me. I now will never sign up for anything free to get info on them. I trust no one. Once they have your bank info, they can take whatever they want and get away with it. I will also be forced to close my checking account if I am not refunded this money because they will continue to deduct $162.50 monthly for nothing. I am so angry right now for what they did. This is identity theft.

Original review: May 30, 2006

During the mid part of April, I filled out the form to receive my free credit report for freecreditreport.com- which is also called Experion. I also filled out the same form for my husband. The form required you to enter a credit card# or debit card for identification only!! So, I did so. At the end of April, we both were charged $12.95 on our debit cards. I wasn't sure of the charge to our account which stated CIC Triple Advantage, so I thought my husband was responsible. BUT! I noticed the same charge again for the next month and inquired to my husband about it. We knew nothing of the charges. When speaking to my bank, they gave 877-481-6825 for CIC Triple Credit Advantage and 800-220-2626 for Credit Consumer info.

The first time I called Credit Consumer and spoke with ** who canceled the unauthorized membership for myself, but stated the membership is nonrefundable. I asked for a supervisor and ** told me I would have to put my complaint in writing to the company. (I was pissed!) I called my bank again to complain. My bank ask me to call back and request the rep's name/id# for the claim of dispute and to ask for the credit again before their company received a "dispute of charges". When calling back the second time, I called CIC Triple Advantage and received ** again! After retrieving his Name/Corp ID# and telling him my bank will be filing charges against the company, ** was more than happy to issue the credit back for me. ** would not process my husband's account for me due to security reasons, so I had my husband call. My husband ended up with another Rep, which did the same thing - stated no refund, but will cancel the membership. So, my husband called me on 3-way with the Rep. After I had some "Nasty Words" with the Rep and explained to her The Charges were not authorized my us, Rep put us on hold to get authorization from the billing dept....Our account will be credited back at total of $50 for 2months of "NO SERVICE" RECEIVED!!! within 7-10 days. Now, If this isn't done, my bank will take care of them!!! I will also be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and writing a letter to the owner "Experion".

Original review: June 16, 2003

Before credit counseling services became so plentiful, I also tried going the route of always having a go-between myself and my bill collectors. I only used them for a short time but, the people were kind and courteous and I actually was beginning to see some clear sky over the horizon.

The company was impressive to me and I even introduced the place to a couple of friends.

American Consumer Credit Counseling Company Information