Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options
1.07/5

Cincinnati, OH

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options

34 General Revenue Corporation Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2019

I came into contact with GRC because a loan I acquired from DeVry was sent to them. I was never informed that my debt was being sent to collections and when I called them to pay the $299 that I owed they told me I owed over $500. The extra was due to fees added because the debt was sent to collections (GRC). When I told her I was never even informed that the debt was being sent to them she proceeded to scold me about taking a few months to track down who my loan was sent to and how to contact them.

She talked to me like I was her disappointing step daughter. It was extremely unprofessional. I then tried to arrange to pay off the debt in two payments and she refused to set up the second payment and said I need to call back after the first payment to set up the next one. I told her I didn’t want to do this because it was hard enough to get ahold of them this time and now I’m being charged over $200 for it. She still refused, co to ours to be rude and condescending and now I have call back in a month to schedule a payment that I tried to set up today.

Original review: March 12, 2019

This is what you need to know. GRC is a legit collection company. They work for Colleges and Universities to collect both Private student loans and Perkins loans. So many people think they can call Navient, FedLoan, Great Lakes, Nelnet, Cornerstone, etc and get all the answers. The truth is that if you have a Perkins loan or a private student loan (especially one through your previous school). These loans do not get serviced by those big-name loan servicers. You have another servicer out there and you need to find out who it is. You should be able to access this for Perkins loans on the website www.studentloans.gov. If you have a private loan the only way to verify that will be calling the school or looking at your credit report.

When you call GRC they want your SS# to look up your account. I can understand you don't want to give it to them. Give them your name (what it was when you went to school) and the name of the schools where you received loans. If they can't find you based on that hang up. The best advice I can give you is to find your loans without calling GRC. If you work directly with your college or university you will probably find out that with a little paperwork the matter can be resolved. Also, this could save you money on collection costs.

I can't speak to GRCs calling practices. I used to work at a school that had GRC do the collections on their private student loans. So GRC isn't a scam, and you probably do have a loan you are unaware of. Most students don't know that if you call your school you will most likely find someone who wants to help you figure out your student loan issues. Also www.studentloans.gov is the best source of info on all your federal loans. Perkins borrowers should get consolidated in most cases so all the loans qualify for Income driven repayment. Best of luck to you all!

Get expert buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

The tactics employed by this organization are despicable. Called my ex-wife's brother-in-law, who I haven't seen in 10 years. Called the personal cell phone of a co-worker looking for information. Called me at my place of employment 8 times in 3 days, including 4 times in 4 hours on a single afternoon - after I wrote them twice and told them to never call my place of employment again. Rude, unprofessional, and deceptive in their practices.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I find this company to be very unprofessional. They stalk you on the internet and then reach out to any contacts you may have. They've reached out to my extended family and they've also reached out to the place where I volunteer. If this is legal, then why not take me to court? Don't reach out and contact people associates of mine. This is a personal issue and should not be shared with other people. Don't call me every day or multiple times per day. Take me to court instead. And when you garnish my wages, don't take 15% out - it really puts people in a bind when you take too much of their money.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

This company has called me an average of once a day for the past month. They never leave a voicemail or if they do, it's 2 seconds of dead air. I answered once and listened to "hold music" for a minute before I hung up. Never spoke to an actual person or even heard a recorded message. I had to look online to find out that they're a student loan debt collector and learn the company name! My student loans are currently being paid and are up to date so I don't have a clue why they're calling me. I just want them to stop!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Revenue Corporation?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

GRC called every living relative of mine in a single afternoon. Said something to the effect of, "He's in trouble and we need to contact him immediately." Left voicemails where no one answered. Multiple members contacted me in a confused panic. I called the number GRC left only to discover it's a debt collection agency calling about education loan which is currently in review with the FSA.

When asked why they contacted my relatives, the operator told me this was to verify that they had the correct phone number to contact me. They already had it on file, and my outgoing voicemail message includes my first and last name (it's unique). Furthermore, the second person they called gave them the same, valid number that they already had. It was a pure and simple humiliation tactic regarding a debt waiting to be ruled legitimate or not by the federal government. As incompetent as they are scrupulous - AVOID! Whether or not you carry a legitimate debt that's been sold to these clowns, I suggest taking it up with your original lender. I am. The more people that do this, the sooner these crooks are out of business.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Trying to track down all family members for your own loan. Schools should’ve just told everyone the truth to stay at your parents and dont leave b/c you are not going to make it or pay it in full to our expectations. They will take your penny! That you dont have. And the young will harass us has beens for an extra 100k for a new house for themselves while you eat ramen noodles forever. The fight will continue forever, people love to fight. They’ll steal your spouse’s tax return that you live on to eat.

Original review: May 27, 2016

I've received a few calls from them in the last week. They leave a typical "attempt to collect a debt" message. I called back to find out what this was and they would give me NO information at all until I gave them a bunch of personal info. I hung up on them and looked them up online. They say on their website they work with student loans, but all my loans are up to date and managed through another company, Navient. I called Navient to ask if they were connected to GRC and they said NO. They said my loans are all in the clear and no one from Navient has been trying to reach me for anything??

It's possible I owe something else, to someone else, not related to my student loans, and I have forgotten about it or let it slip through the cracks. But I have received nothing in the mail. No bills, no notices. I've received no emails or calls from any actual businesses (which you would think you would get BEFORE they send your bill to a collections agency). Leaving anonymous and ominous voicemails for people and asking only for personal information and telling you nothing about what you need or want when you call is NOT the way to get a debt paid.

I'm extremely suspicious of this company and I'm worried they are just trying to skim information from me for something nefarious. This is the phone # I have been getting calls from: 513-234-5408 - Shows up as Mason, OH. Here is their website: https://www.generalrevenue.com. The https secured by signature shows "Navient Solutions" but Navient THEMSELVES denied being affiliated with this company, and told me that "many companies are calling around purporting to be with the government ran student loan agency, but really they are attempting to sell you debt consolidation - for an administrative fee". I hope that's all that is going on here, and nothing scarier. Their very name "General Revenue Corporation" suggests "We exist to MAKE MONEY" so this doesn't exactly breed confidence or trust.

Original review: May 1, 2016

Bad customer service. Asked customer service representative twice "what type of company". He overlooked my question twice. Not sure if this a scam or not.

Original review: April 6, 2016

They call you up knowing your name. Asking you for your date of birth and other personal information. Don't give them anything. They are an identity theft company. They stole my identity, and used it costing me a lot of time and money.

General Revenue Corporation Company Information