1.04/5
  • 1 star
Based on 55 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 1, 2017

61 FreeCreditScore.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Dont do any business with them!!! First it seems like they ask you to pay only $1 BUT they will charge your card next week for 39.90!!! So you get an impression that first time using their services is 1 dollar and they never warn you about next week charge for membership and no way you can cancel it online.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

Called to cancel membership and agent tried to talk me into continuing with it. I plainly stated that I wanted it cancelled but agent persisted. I told him to just cancel the membership and he got combative. He actually hung up on me. Highly do not recommend.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I never ordered this service and when I called the first lady assured me I was not getting a refund on my 29.95 even though I never ordered this service. Pretty much called me a liar and hung up on me. Then I called back and got basically the same runaround. Never heard of this company until then. They are thieves if you ask me. I'm very upset about it. Stay away from these scam artists.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I never NEVER heard of this company would not ever give a refund back after the cancellation. I signed up on 7/6/17 to monitor my credit, which it was most common for us to check our credit with $1.00. They will never give you $1.00 back at all!!! I completely forgot all about cancel the membership which it was on 7/13/17, but I called a day after to go ahead canceled the membership on 7/14/17. My bank account was low balance actually. It was not enough money in my account. However, they processed to charge me with $29.95! I had an overdraft in my account. I told them it does not make any damn sense that they can go ahead charge people who do not have insufficient funds in their account. And how does the system work with insufficient funds because it would let them know by saying that this card has been declined because of insufficient funds. 7 days free trial seems so nice, but bad idea to use.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I was looking for a rent to own home, and in order to view what the site I wanted, I had to fill out this and get my credit score. I immediately called to cancel once I'd save the credit scores (which by the way were mostly incorrect based on what I'd gotten from a company I have heard of). I told them I wanted to cancel. The jerk guy verified my info, which was fine. Then he kept offering this and that and that and this and I told him I wanted no offers, just cancel. He kept on, I was firm. He kept on, said "I am just doing my job" so I told him his job was to fulfill my cancellation request and nothing more. Still, he kept offering this and that then said I'd signed up for all kinds of ** from grocery coupons to ID theft protection and so on. He kept on rambling.

FINALLY after about 7 minutes of this I got a cancellation number but I still don't feel safe so I am contacting my credit card company and telling them that other than the $1.00, nothing from this company is to be honored with payment because I owe them nothing. Here is a guarantee - if you deal with this company, do so at your own risk. Use Credit Karma instead!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FreeCreditScore.com?

Original review: May 14, 2017

I foolishly took their trail to check their scores against the credits score I have with Credit Karma which I really like and they are free. After checking I cancelled the account with FreeCreditScore. What a joke. People always take the cancellation # down and put in notes or someplace on your computer where you put such things. This company must pull this a lot because I see the same complaint over and over again on the ConsumerAffairs site about them.

They didn't cancel my account and continued to charge $29.95 for 3 more months until I was looking at my account and noticed the charges. I called them and they had a hard time finding me in their system. When they finally did I then asked why my account wasn't canceled back in Feb when I foolishly signed up and canceled but didn't take the confirmation # down when it was given to me. He said he doesn't see any cancellation on this account. So I told him I remember calling and cancelling the same day right after I compared my score with Credit Karma and their scores. I went around and around with him, the whole time with him trying to up sell offering discounts if I stayed. I told him I don't do business with thieves.

I contacted my credit card company and disputed the charges. I suggest you do the same. I'll never do a 7-day trial again. They are always some kind of hassle to stop the charges after. There are too many scams on the WWW that we get involved with because it looks good and maybe benefit by it but they are rip-offs. Mental note "Save yourself some frustration and don't get involved".

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Been trying to cancel and receive refund since 12/16, talked with several people who assure me it is in process - nothing. I intend to call them daily from this point forward. Worst experience I have ever had - but I guess I should have checked them out first. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I registered for a 7 day "Free Trial" ending January 06. They promised to charge my account $1.00 to link it to my account and the $1.00 would be refunded. The $1.00 was never refunded. On January 7th, I called to cancel my account. I was able to cancel the account, but they charged my account $29.99 for the remainder of January and would not refund me the charge. So I essentially paid $31.00 for 8 day of credit score monitoring. What a ripoff!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

Signed in for a "ONE TIME" credit check for $1 to review my credit history and of course this was before I was aware of "Credit Karma" and in signing up for that deal was unaware that I was IN THE SMALL PRINT agreeing to pay $29 EVERY MONTH FOR CREDIT MONITORING and wow try to cancel the account and that is only the beginning as you can NOT EMAIL THEM TO COMPLAIN or cancel the account.

Must call on the phone and talk to an employee and answer 100 questions to cancel and before can cancel he or she needs to VERIFY you and your account and after an hour on the phone you are finally canceled. After the phone clerk tells you "SORRY WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WRITE ANYTHING DOWN." OMG. Please do not sign up for any of their services as you may have purchased around the world ticket for $3999 before you realize what you have done. Should be TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS AND REMOVED FROM DOING BUSINESS ONLINE PERIOD. Criminals.

Original review: May 5, 2016

I signed up in a hurry to get a fast credit report! MISTAKE!! Immediately after doing it and realizing that there was no way to delete my card info or to cancel the subscription without calling, I knew something was up. I haven't even had the account for 30 minutes and already have multiple charges. I'm terrified because I gave them my SS# over the phone and finally hung up whenever they started asking for my debit card number over the phone and personal questions. Unfortunately my bank just closed for the day! I need to get up there first thing in the morning and hope they haven't cleaned me out. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: March 9, 2016

I can confirm that this site is as bad as the other poor reviews. I got online and created my $1 trial account because we had an emergency need to verify some credit information. I was aware it was a trial. When I first logged in and got my score, I looked for the easy way to cancel the trial. I emailed the company hoping to get some direction on this but never received a response. There is no instruction on the site under your profile or Membership on how to cancel. I eventually was charged the monthly fee and complained instantly. The company refused to do anything about it and kept telling me the membership profile indicated to contact them to cancel, yet it does not.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

On 1/7/16 I attempted to get free credit report as advertised. Upon completing all necessary sign in options for Your PLUS Score and answering all questions for identity check, I then received error that they could not process my request. I checked my email and did receive 2 emails one from Experian and one from FreeCreditScore (1 minute apart). 1 that account was updated and 1 with a thank you for ordering PLUS Score. I attempted to login and received the message that had invalid credentials. I then called 1-877-284-7942 and the rep indicated that the system was updating and I should receive an email with more login information. He also reset my password and that I would also get an email with temporary password.

After a few minutes I did receive the email with temporary password. I then attempted to login and received the same error with credentials. Clicked on the NEED HELP SIGNING IN? for further assistance and now system shows that I do not exist on their system. Called again and rep this time told me to go through EXPERIAN site and I will need a credit card for $1 charge and I will get a free credit score and report. I then said "no thank you" and hanged up. Wow this is really a scam! I a wondering why the FEDS are not taking any action on this.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2015

DO NOT USE THIS SITE! I followed the large blue buttons and the misleading marketing that says FREE CREDIT SCORE and even the false advertising of www.freecreditscore.com. I agreed to pay $1 to get my credit report and credit score and sure enough, 8-days later I get a $21.95 charge on my debit card that they refuse to reimburse. Of course, I now see that in TINY writing, it says on the website "you have a free 7-day membership and you must call back to cancel within 7 days or you will be billed."

Of course the text is extremely tiny and there are GIANT BLUE and ORANGE BUTTONS that say FREE and ONLY $1. Not to mention the site is called "www.freecreditscore.com." Someone should start a huge class action lawsuit against this company. Talk about false and misleading marketing to steal $22 in 8 days from anyone who wants a "free score." They refuse to give you your money back even if you immediately call to fix it. DO NOT USE THIS SITE. I would much rather them just say "it costs you $20 to get a credit report." At least that way they aren't misleading you.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I went on the site and did not confirm pay. I didn't even get pass to put my social security number in and they went into my account twice for two months. I called for a refund for my money. And they told me 5-7 days. It's been two weeks now. I am on the phone trying to get in contact with a manager and the manager always at a meeting. Then they claim they couldn't find me in the system. I will be taking them to court. I don't like ** like this. They work for plenty of companies. I am beyond pissed. Then the guy told me I was denied then he lied and said they couldn't find me by my name. They just go in your ** and take your money. I really am very mad and I'm still on hold even after 20:00 minutes. How can I get in touch with someone on a higher ground???

Original review: May 30, 2015

** this stupid ** website! And ** all the ignorant ** employees that work there. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS ** FRAUDULENT WEBSITE. Doesn't work. Also will not refund you ever. I asked for a refund. They told me 7-10 business days. I called after 14 days after and they said it was just deposited, it should clear in 3-5 business days. It's been 6 ** days still nothing. ** this company with a passion. ** everything they stand for. I'm So pissed the ** off that they ** the ** out of me and gave me the run around. I hope that company goes out of business and all the employees lose their ** jobs. I wish this company worst ever.

Original review: May 24, 2015

Absolutely horrible. DO NOT USE THIS FIRM. My credit card info was stolen and used the very next day with a $281.81 charge to some phony company called Defense Solutions gRoup. I have cancelled the free subscription and my credit card, so they won't be getting any fees. I've also contacted them and will file a report with the FBI. These guys are flat out crooks. NOTE: I have enclosed a screenshot of the charges including the fraudulent charge.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2015

All of these "free" credit score sites are the same. You try to view your free score, and before you know it, not only did you pay 40 dollars to view your scores, but you are also signed up for their "monitoring". Page is very misleading when attempting to view your free score (I ended up paying for it and didn't even realize it until it was too late. They put up big buttons "CLICK HERE FOR YOUR SCORE" which is your detail credit report that you pay for, and hide the links for free scores). You are then automatically enrolled in their monitoring service. Which you can ONLY CANCEL BY CALLING. This should be illegal.

So I can sign up no hassle on your website, but to cancel I have to call in? I have been trying to call and cancel for the past hour now, but their phone lines are so busy (most likely with people like me) that it HANGS UP ON ME. The system doesn't even give me the option to wait, it just says "call volumes are high, try again later *click*". So how am I suppose to cancel? I am appalled at this type of behavior. If you can sign up online, you should be able to cancel online. Instead I am trapped. God help you if you try to use this "service" for anything.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

I started with free credit score about 5 or 6 years ago. I started with the "free trial" which quickly turned into a charge on my debit card. I called to cancel and they would not give me back my money even though I called within the 30-day limit. They talked me into a monthly rate of 7.97 which I thought was ok. So even though they were dishonest, I wanted the score because I was working on my credit so I said yes.

In the last 5 years, I never received an e-mail notifying me of my monthly statement even in spam. I called them several times and they said they had fixed it but it never got fixed. I finally started just going on Google and finding the website. Even then I did not cancel. In November I got a charge of 14.95 on my debit card. I changed my card number on the account so they could not charge me anymore because I knew that they would take at least 2 months to stop taking the money out of my account.

Finally, I found some recent e-mails in my promotions portion on Gmail - they were all threatening me and accusing me of defaulting on my account. When I wrote back and told them what happened and why I did it, they wrote back; did not address the problem at all and said that my free trial had expired - a free trial that had lasted 6 years!!! I was a really good customer to them, cannot understand this treatment at all, a polite e-mail to tell me the rate was going up or anything at all would have put me in a better frame of mind to keep business with them - 6 years!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2015

Had trouble logging into my account. I called customer service and was on hold for over 16 minutes. I worked with a rep via phone and had to repeat my information to him several times only to have him enter in my data incorrectly each time. After 25 minutes and speaking to his supervisor the matter was resolved.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

This company offers to cancel anytime but when I called I was left on hold for over 20 minutes and no one ever answered. This was during their posted hours (Saturday afternoon). They obviously want to make cancellation very difficult if not impossible. Now I will have to call my bank and tell them the charges from this company are fraudulent.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2014

The name is an outright lie. I was charged $32.95 to get my three "free" credit scores. Then they only provided two, Experian and the Bureau. I also read the small print that by signing in I was automatically subscribed to a $9.99/month fee unless I canceled within 7 days. I cancelled THE SAME DAY (spoke with "Vin" at their call-in number) and asked him to send me written acknowledgement of the cancellation. I have not rec'd it yet. We'll see if they honor it or try to still charge me fraudulently. These people are crooks and should not be in business and now I am nervous that they have all my personal information. Who knows who they're selling to.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2014

This company has been fraudulently charges my bank account for the past three years - under three different names. After a free credit report they began charging me monthly fees for credit counseling? I have no credit whatsoever and have a 0 on my credit report history. I tried calling numerous times and have gotten transferred, hung up on, put on hold forever with no one coming back on the phone and when I did talk to a "supervisor" they told me they could only refund 3 months of charges. When they first started charging me, it was for $ 9.95 then the charge went up to $29.95. When I told them that I had bank statements proving that they charged me, they told me their computer did not show those charges, then they told me that their computer screen showed I had called 6 times when in actuality I had called 2 times but had been transferred again to another customer service agent.

When I gave the names and dates of the people I spoke with and their agent numbers they told me I had not talked to those people because they did not have record of those calls. I am a single mother that works very hard for the money that they have stolen . When I researched other complaints - they all same the same thing- FRAUD!!! How can this company continue to charge innocent people and get away with it? I am appalled that they are still in business ripping people off. The charges are hidden with different names and when I asked about that, one of the agents told me on accident that he had worked in the fraudulent charges department and knows that this is frustrating. THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

The call began because I was having issues logging in. I followed the prescribed text and answered all the questions, changed my password and got to my report. Then I clicked on a link and it prompted me to login again. Then the password would not work again. I called. After many 'robotic' prompts, I finally reached a person. He asked provide your membership ID or SSN. I had membership ID. Then asked the relevant questions about me which could be used anywhere now to say you are me. I had a sense something was not right and asked, "Is this in the US?" He danced around it, then told me, "The Philippines." My sensitive information outside the US, I can't believe it. I cancelled the account and asked, "My information will be deleted from your system?" "Your account has been cancelled." Three times back and forth, no your information will not be deleted. Hackers everywhere and they ship my credit out of the country. I can't believe it.

Original review: April 17, 2014

Put in my credit card info to check my score. Once I checked the score, I called in immediately to cancel and was told they cancelled my account. I just checked my banking records and they have continued to bill me saying I never cancelled and my money is nonrefundable. Do not do business with this company! They were very rude and it was my problem, not theirs. Use anyone but this company!

Original review: April 5, 2014

From all of the complaints on here about this company, why isn't something done about it? At least by reading the reviews it saved me from the hassle as I was going to try and get my score for the $1 they advertise, but no thank you. Surely, this many people with same problem are not making this up. WHO DO YOU CONTACT AND WHY ISN'T SOMEONE MONITORING COMPANIES LIKE THIS????

Original review: Feb. 5, 2014

I was trying to get my free credit score. I had gotten one last year without any problem, canceled in time, no charge. Today I put my information in and the original report for credit score did not automatically come up. The button I clicked said, "Get your report here." By mistake I clicked the wrong button and was charged an additional $39.95 for a 3 bureau credit report. I immediately called and was told there was no trial period on this charge that they would give me a $7 discount, spoke to Jenny. I had not seen any reports and I was being charged $32.95 with $17.99 to follow if I didn't cancel in time. That is $50.94 with not even a glimpse of a report.

I was on the phone 45 minutes. Asked where they were located? The Philippines. Why would another country have access to US citizens' credit records? I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold. Finally Liz came on. She said I could get a refund as a courtesy. That the charge had not "pushed" through yet and it would take 7 to 10 business days for my refund. I told her that was wrong that I had not even gotten anything to be charged for. Then I asked her where she was located? Liz said the central USA. I said what state? She said she couldn't give me that information for security reasons. I asked her for her last name? She said she couldn't give me that information for security reasons. I said, "You have all of my information." This is a scam and they ripped me off. I cancelled the free credit score so I wouldn't get charged $17.99. They are taking my money and holding it and I have not received anything but aggravation. This is not right.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2013

Please learn from my horrible experience and beware of freecreditscore.com or freecreditreport.com (both run by the same company, Experian):

I signed up for a "Free" 7 day trial on freecreditscore.com. I cancelled my free 7 day trial on the morning of the 7th day by calling their Customer Service number at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time . The call center rep reassured me they would not charge my card because I cancelled on the 7th day. But later that evening when I checked my bank account, I discovered I had been charged $17.99 by them. I immediately called to find out why and to get a refund. I ended up having to speak to a supervisor. She said the 7th day is actually the 8th day. That Friday to Friday is not 7 days, but 8. I've never had such a terrible experience and spoken to in such a condescending manner.

I've done free trials before with other companies, cancelled on the last day of the free trial and never got charged. I feel like I got deceived twice. The first time when I signed up for the free trial. They should make it CLEAR that they count the number of days differently from most other people in the world and that the 7th day is actually the 8th day and that you should cancel on the 6th day or before to avoid charges. Second time when the call center rep told me that they would not charge my card when I called to cancel. They are going to issue me a refund, but now I have to wait 7-10 days before I see the credit back to my account. This is a huge inconvenience for me and I should not be penalized for their deceptive practices and mistakes.

Suggested Solutions: 1. They need to have a very clear and UPFRONT statement of their policy regarding free trial time periods. For example: That they don't consider Friday to a Friday 7 days, but rather it's 8 days under their policy. This will help potential customers understand that if they wish to cancel the free trial, they should do so by such-and-such date to avoid charges.

2. The call center reps should be trained thoroughly about this time period policy so they don't end up mistakenly deceiving customers. 3. Call center reps and supervisors should not talk to customers in a condescending manner. Yes, I know how to count, I know how to read a calendar. I do not need an education from you about how to do that.

I've filed a complaint with the BBB and have tried to post warnings/reviews on other sites. Upon reading many other reviews of this company, I've learned that they have deceived many many customers and even continue to charge customers for months after they've cancelled. I just hope I don't continue to be charged too. What a horrible, horrible company. I hope that others will see this review and hopefully it can help people avoid this company like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2013

7.47 is acceptable, but when you don't pay for a month or two they still charge you when you don't have access for those one or two months. They do send updates and alerts to your email, to get you to reactivate your account. But when you have had them for more than two years, and YOU KNOW that your credit has been updated or gone up or down in scoring points and the report STAYED EXACTLY THE SAME except for showing monthly payments darkened in the Experian (their Filipino company call center). And they did NOT credit me for those two months for NO CHANGE in status or anything since they seem to miss or not update certain items on the report. They constantly want you to update to a 3 credit report. AND, last but not least... when you see something not correct on your report, you do a DISPUTE and then finding out after the outcome within thirty days, EXPERIAN tells you that this is not the case and is resolved. "The info we input was uncorrectable." Learning that the FREECREDITSCORE REPORT was half ass. NOT updated in full like it’s bigger brother EXPERIAN itself. Embarrassing.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2013

I signed up for this "free" trial and was only given my score so I decided to cancel. Had to Google how to cancel because no information was given. It said the best way to cancel was by email so I filled out a small questionnaire about being dissatisfied with the site and requested a cancel of membership on Nov. 13th. The very next day, I received this: "Roxanne, Nov 13 09:03 (PST). PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN ITS ENTIRETY. The Credit Report Card account at Credit.com associated with kiddkolby@hotmail.com has been closed per your request." Now on the 19th, I was charged for the membership! When I called and claimed no email was received or sent and my account was not closed. When I got mad and read the email to them, they said I needed to call and verify my information and could not cancel by email. WTF, then why does it say canceled? Finally got my money back 10 days later. Very shady company. Not trustworthy. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

I wanted to see what my credit report since Credit Keeper was my credit report service and they shut down. I created my account on freecreditreport.com and agreed to the $1 fee. The next screen asked me if I wanted to see all three of my credit reports but didn't say anything about charging me an additional $32.95 which I noticed was charged on my bank account. I called to discuss this with freecreditreport.com's customer service department and they said I agreed to any fees with my membership, but they could cancel the account that was created and refund me the $1 fee, not the 32.95. If you are looking for a credit report site, I say be wary of this one as they do not tell you about fees they are charging. Never again will my browser darken the freecreditreport.com website.

FreeCreditScore.com expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Freecreditscore.com is owned and operated by Experian and a member of ConsumerInfo.com family. The company offers membership services to help consumers maintain good credit.

• Free: Consumers receive a completely free Experian credit report and FICO score.

• Experian Credit Tracker: This membership includes unlimited access to the consumer’s Experian credit report, daily credit monitoring and alerts, bi-monthly score monitoring and alerts, a credit score simulator, $50,000 product guarantee, ChildSecure and CardSafe programs.

• Fraud resolution: If the consumer discovers suspicious credit activity, FreeCreditScore helps resolve the problems with their trained Fraud Resolution Specialists.

• Alerts and credit monitoring: The company regularly scans the consumer’s credit reports and alerts the customer to suspicious activity and potential errors.

• Trusted: Under the well-regarded Experian umbrella - one of the main credit bureaus - lenders often look to the Experian companies for trusted consumer credit related information.

• Best for: Consumers with poor credit.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg