1.02/5

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

45 Commonwealth Financial Systems Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2019

I always check my credit through Credit Wise and this company showed up on my report. I called and asked what was the original billing so I called the ER I visited and on their end I had a 0 balance which I already knew was paid. I called the shady Commonwealth Company back and explained that the hospital bill was paid in full. The guy who I spoke with then explained some shady information saying my balance could be 0 on the ER end but I still had a bill with them and I’m like how and why so I hung up and quickly googled the company and came across all these bad reviews then I called TransUnion to do a dispute. I’ve been working soo hard to get my credit right and for me to lose a few points because of a shady company makes me angry. These crooks needs to be sued.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I check my credit regularly. Today I saw a derogatory comment on a new account from an ER Room in Nashville, TN. I have never been to said ER. I have lived in CA the past 14 years as a side note and have never traveled to TN. I am angered that this so called company had this false claim posted to Equifax. I have disputed the claim on Equifax’s website so I am curious to see what happens next. This has to be an illegal practice. The internet is loaded with similar complaints. I am very concerned that these scam perpetrators my have some of my personal information.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

This is in regards to Commonwealth Financial love a blowing my phone up threatening me that they're going to seize my bank accounts, file criminal charges against me. Truth be told it's over a vehicle I own back in 2007. It was repoed in 2009 and 2014 March I was awarded a chapter 7 and they still keep claiming that they're going to file criminal charges, seize my bank accounts over a loan that I never even took out through them. It was to another company then apparently they bought it or whatever. This is just ridiculous so as to anybody that has a lawyer that needs to speak with somebody with this matter call me but I'm calling my lawyer myself.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I don't think Cap One has anything to do with this. My fiancé found 2 entries on his CR from CFS and he has never applied for a Cap 1 credit card. Anyway this company buys bad debt (medical) for pennies on the dollar and re-ages them and puts them on your credit report. You have to call the original creditor and have them send you paperwork with the original date of service so you can send that to the credit reporting agencies along with your dispute. That's the only way to fight these people.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I disputed this thru Credit Karma (Transunion) and similar to someone else's response I also applied for a Capital One Credit card. I hope they had nothing to do with this fraud on my credit. My husband as well signed up for a credit card and we finance our car through them and same thing showed up on his credit. I will be looking out for a lawsuit because this is not right. I put a lock on my credit just in case. If anyone sees Common Wealth immediately dispute it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Commonwealth Financial Systems?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I had this company show up on my credit report, I see the other reviews about it happening soon after getting a Capital One credit card, to which I did in Oct... This acct doesnt list an original creditor either, says acct was 1st opened 2 months ago???

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company continually re-ages the open date of the debt and reporting to the credit bureaus in order to keep the debt on your report forever, After filing complaints with the CFPB and the three reporting agencies, I have retained an attorney and we are looking for anyone else who has looked at their credit report and can see the open date of the debt is wrong and continues to update as a new debt. Please reply to this review in order to be contacted and added to the class action suit. According to Federal law the Open or original past due date is the accurate timeframe that can be reported on your CBR. or within 90 days of that date.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I paid this hospital bill and even have the statement and letter of satisfaction and this account was taken care of. Now these ** showed up on my credit score months later for an account that I already paid for. Every time I call the phone just ring and no one answer and this ** is affecting my score.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

This collector sent me paperwork full of misinformation and placed a mark on my credit report that I had an outstanding debt. I tried contacting them pointing out their errors and they got furious and hung up on me. I filed a dispute with the credit agency that they showed up and disputed their claim of unpaid bills that were resoled. Commonwealth should not be dealt with even if there is an outstanding debt.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I got an alert last night from Credit Karma about 3 new collections accounts. I read the reviews of CFS on here and other sites and am furious! They were for ER physician charges and I had a chance to call only one of them today and they couldn't find any accounts for me. Literally couldn't even find me in their system, well, they found my name but neither of the profiles were my same birthdate (and my last name is very uncommon) and neither person even lived in my state. We did eventually find an account for my 28 yr old daughter from 4 years ago but it was like I'd never been treated by them, although I actually have, I just don't owe them anything.

I'm going to call the other ER physician group Monday. I'm also, thanks to suggestions by you all, calling the WV State Attorney General. I've worked extremely hard to clean up my credit report and have gone from around 550 to 660 in the past year. I was even able to buy a brand new 2018 vehicle with a low-interest rate on my own with no downpayment. That says to me I've really accomplished something by cleaning up my report. And now this crap company wants to mess with it? I think NOT! I have disputed them on Transunion and expect no problems there but Equifax disputes are virtually impossible to fill out and submit (I have another acct in dispute with Equifax over my newborn grandson's visit to the ER but he had a Medicaid card at the time and all it shows on my credit report is that I disputed it.) Transunion removed my grandson's collection acct within 24 hours when I disputed it with them. Thank you all so much for your informative reviews!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was contacted by a CWF representative regarding outstanding medical bills which I didn't owe. She was very rude and unprofessional. I informed her that I have medical insurance and I check my credit report every month and there has never been a mentioning of them. She abruptly hung up on me.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have been checking my credit scores and this company reported a fraudulent debt, they said I was at a hospital on February 6, 2018, and I have not been in the hospital for at least 6 yrs. I reported the fraudulent charge with Transunion and Equifax, I was able to get it off my credit report on only one of the credit bureaus. I requested more information about the charge to no avail, my credit drop 20 points. If you have my same experience please report this company to the BBB.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I received a letter in the mail from this company on Friday May 11, 2018 stating they were attempting to collect a debt that was assigned to them from original creditor EDI-1 Practices of CA. I call them immediately after to acknowledge receipt of the letter and to inform them that I had no such debt with the said Company. The rep advised that it was for a medical ER service with no additional details provided. I requested all records pertaining to this debt ASAP, in which he advised that the company will send to me by mail. The of debt of $879 appeared on my credit report from the company stated in the notice as the original creditor, which is EDS-1 Practices of CA on May 13th per view of a Credit Karma alert I received. This negative reporting caused my credit score from Equifax to drop 55 points. I called Commonwealth Financial Systems today, May 14th to discuss the negative reporting and to advise them again that this isn't my debt.

The rep (Frank) stated that he requested records from the original creditor and that there was nothing else he could do. After my discussion with Frank I researched EDI and found a few listed numbers including (214)712-2406, (800)355-2470, and (661)382-5000. Per contact to these numbers, I received only voicemail greetings, none of which citing EDS-1 Practices as their business name. Also, one website cites Corona, Ca as their only medical treatment facility, and I was a resident of Texas at the time of this fraudulent debt and now currently residing in Ohio as of late January of this year.

The gist of this complaint is that I've never had a medical debt, Commonwealth reported this debt on my credit without validating this which can be extremely harmful to consumers if allowed, and also I researched Commonwealth complaints per website (www.consumeraffairs.com) and most the of complaints are similar to mine involving fraudulent attempts to collect debt on medical bills and negative credit bureau reporting. My hopes are to stop this company, if they are involved in any wrongdoing, from operating and doing business due to their potentially harmful impact on citizens. Desired Resolution. Correction on my credit report and debt removed from their records and any of their affiliates. Also termination of business entity if consumer abuse and/or fraud are found in their business practices.

Original review: April 30, 2018

This company is dishonest and commits shameful practices. I wanted to improve my credit score so I started carefully monitoring my credit report. Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc. fabricated a medical collection account that wasn’t mine, then duplicated records of that account and submitted them to the credit agencies so they would appear multiple times on my credit report - with different account numbers. I disputed the account for months through each of the credit agencies. The agencies would see that it was a fraudulent account and remove it but Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc. would simply submit the false information again with a different, fabricated account number. After months of disputing the accounts I contacted the BBB and the account has suddenly disappeared from my credit report.

If this company is harassing you or submitting false information about you, do not bother trying to speak to them. Don’t let them bully, intimidate, or harass you into paying money that you don’t owe. They are likely to lie and use anything you say against you. Rather, report them immediately to the BBB (www.bbb.org - they are located in Dickson City, PA under the name Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc.) and see if you can pursue damages in court against them. Put companies like this out of business by reporting them and holding them responsible for their unethical and illegal actions.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

This company displays pure and complete unprofessionalism. They placed a closed fraudulent account on my credit report without any notice. I am an individual with two insurance policies with a $0 copay so when I hear that I have a medical debt I knew this account was not mine. I was unable to locate where this debt was originally created and I am unable to contact anyone from Orchid Emergency Physicians Group. It seems this company does not exist at all. Commonwealth will not even tell me what the bill is from or where it was created.

On the phone they apologize for this mistake but when I complain to the Better Business Bureau a representative who will not say their name tells me a completely different story. They lie about sending me notice in the mail. I never knew who these people were until my credit score went down 60 points. I have sent them a consumer statement and my fraud affidavit but they never receive my documents. I do not have a contract with them or Orchid Emergency Physicians Group, the fictitious company. The representative I spoke to who is Michael blamed this error solely on Equifax and told me to fix it with them. I am tired of being lied to.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I got 3 alerts on Saturday 1 from Credit Karma and 2 from TrustedID stating that I had a new account for Collections added to my credit reports. Commonwealth Financial Systems says I owe $506 from River Valley Emergency Physicians and I havent even been to a hospital in 4 years. I called RVEP and it's actually our local hospital who no longer does business with River Valley for billing. The hospital said they saw no new charges and this is actually an account that has already been cleared off my credit report a few years ago. I called the TrustedID number and they could not help me. Only suggested I call the original creditor (which I did) and lock my account. I'm still working on getting this taken off my credit report.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I use Credit Karma to stay on track with my accounts. I noticed in Jan 2018 a new account was opened for Commonwealth for $82 and dropped my credit score by 19 points. I called them and spoke to a representative. I was told I owed money for an unpaid medical bill. I was told that I had to pay them or else. I refused and said I would call the hospital about this bill. I was then told they would have no knowledge of this bill as they have already sold it and they don't keep any of those records (which is a LIE).

I hung up and called the hospital. I found out this bill was from 2011 and was 100% paid off and NEVER went to any kind of collections. I also had them mail my records for proof. I called Commonwealth back and they put me through to the same rep. She told me that whatever the hospital told me was a lie and to not listen to them. She said I had to pay Commonwealth because the hit on my credit would never go away. I told her that I wanted it removed from my credit score as I owed nothing and no debt was ever collected. She said I could remove it... for $82... I told her I wouldn't pay that and she progressively became more hostile and rude, becoming louder and louder to try and scare me into giving them my credit card and Social Security number.

I told her I would be disputing this from each credit bureau. She again started yelling at me how I would be wasting my time and I would have to pay it once they were done with my investigation. She then hung up on me. I called each of my 3 credit bureaus and disputed the collections account. Took me all of 30 minutes in total. They told me Commonwealth would have 30 days to respond and submit their claim. About 14 days later, all traces of Commonwealth were removed from my credit score.

Lesson? Do not even attempt to communicate with Commonwealth before you do your due diligence. Your credit score has to provide you where the claim is coming from. If it is a hospital, call the hospital first. Receive your invoices and all bills. If everything is 100% paid in full and you know for a fact you have no debt, dispute it with the credit bureaus. Commonwealth uses scare tactics and does their hardest to get you to pay your "bill". Don't listen to them and don't let them bully you!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Poor customer service. Managers are very condescending. I ran a credit history on myself this year and notice there was hospital that reported me for non payment, I contacted Commonwealth Financial Systems, and told them this was an error because I had had insurance during this period. I provided numerous proof of insurance to them and yet they refuse remove this from my credit history. My only recourse now is to report them to the state. And get a private attorney. My advice to anyone who has been victimized and harassed by this company is to contact the state attorney's office. There is a class action lawsuit... Word to the wise do not give these guys any personal information about yourself.

Original review: March 7, 2017

Everyday, I receive a call from Commonwealth Financial Services (614) 441-0047. When I call back, they say they do not have my number on their call list, and therefore deny (sometimes rudely) ever having made the call. Yet, the calls persist, day after day.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

These people are frauds. They put a collection on me for Med $325. I contacted the Med company and I owe them nothing. I let Commonwealth know this and they said they would remove collection. They did not. TransUnion removed because they say this is not a credible company. They then said the amount was now $340. I reported them and now they say I owe both $325 and $340.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

An agent of CFS called several times to my granddaughter's phone looking for my husband. They also called my husband and I talked to them. May I add each time it was a different person. My husband is ill, he has Parkinson's disease and I handle most everything for him. They told me that my husband would have to go to court for attempting to fraud a banking institution. They claim that in 2012 he received an online check loan for $300. When they tried to collect the check payment, the funds were not available. My husband has never used a computer let alone make a check loan! I ask them to send me a copy of the loan paper so I could see the signature on it, they told me they did not have any of the paperwork. The first time I talked with them it was a man and when I said I could prove it was not my husband he hung up on me. Should have been a red flag!!

The second time I spoke with them it was a woman named LORI ANNE **. She said the same thing but had my husband's name and ss number, but the phone number and address was not correct. I told her we had never lived there or had that phone number. She said she believed me but there was nothing she could do to stop the charges or court unless we paid the check fee and interest which is $420. She also said I would have to pay by debit or credit card. I ask her if we could make payments and she said she would ask. I told her I had to talk to my husband and would call her back. I (like a fool) proceeded to talk my husband into paying it so he wouldn't have to go to court! I don't think he could go thru something like that! I paid $220 with my debit card and arranged for $200 to be taken out on Feb 16th. They were to send me an e-receipt and never did. I tried calling them back but Ms. ** will not respond or call me back.

Since then I have done some research on CFS and they are crooks. I feel so dumb and we cannot afford this money. We are on a fixed income. I contacted the bank and the first payment has been taken out but they canceled my card so the other money cannot be taken out. The payment went to ASR in HAMBURG NEW YORK. I have the phone number for CFS and MS. **. 1-888-895-3081 her ext is **. My payment confirmation # is **. Never have I experienced anything like this. Usually I am on top of things like this but I wanted to protect my husband. Please help us!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2016

This complaint concerns phone calls that my 91 year old mother is getting from a phone number which is showing on her caller ID as being from Macon, Georgia. She lives in an assisted living home in Georgia and has dementia. Initially, I thought the phone calls were wrong numbers, but they have continued. I called the number and to my surprise, got Commonwealth Financial Systems, which is located in Pennsylvania, not Georgia. I stayed on the line and went through their phone menu options, getting connected to a representative. This person looked up my mother's phone number and told me that number was not in their system. I told her I thought it was strange that the phone number on my mother's called ID says it's from Macon, Georgia, but when I call the number, I get CFS in Pennsylvania. She was less than helpful, even getting very rude with me.

The second time I called, I got someone different, who was not as rude, but less than helpful. She finally told me I would have to contact Mr. **, a manager. I called him this morning and explained my concern that not only might my mother be getting harassing phone calls for a debt she does not owe, but that someone could be calling people under the pretense that they are from CFS, using threats to get money out of innocent people, which I would think CFS would want to know about.

I do not know what happens when my mom answers the phone, as I have not been there when she's received a call from this number and she has dementia, so she doesn't recall the details. Are they telling her that she owes a past debt? Are they looking for someone with a different name who, perhaps, used to have that phone number? Is this simply a mix-up or something more sinister? It would seem easy to me for someone to have incoming calls to that number forwarded to the number for CFS, causing concern when people would call and find themselves speaking to a collection agency, causing people to agree to pay money they don't owe.

Mr. ** seemed apathetic to my concerns. He told me he would have to check into this matter and would call me back, which so far, he has not. I do not expect a call back, judging from his attitude. And now I find that there are numerous complaints against this company. Unfortunately, I may not be able to block this number on my mom's phone because it is on a key system at the assisted living home. Whether I get a response from Mr. ** at CFS or not, I will be contacting a local t.v. station's consumer watchdog department to see if they will investigate this. Something is just not right here and it smells of fraud. The only thing I am accusing CFS of at this point is their lack of concern that both my elderly mother AND their company may be victims of some kind of a fraud scheme. If they are a reputable company, I would think this would get their attention.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016, we received a letter from CFS, stating that we owe $275.00 on a medical bill from April 19, 2010. I'm a reasonable guy - if I owe money, I'll pay it. So, I called them up and put it on a credit card - however, I told the guy I spoke with (Gordon) that I was going to investigate this further the following day.

On Tuesday, June 14, I called both the billing company for the group, as well as the medical provider. I discovered: 1. Neither company had any record of the account - in fact, both companies told me that the number listed by CFS as the "Original Account Number" doesn't match any nomenclature in their account management system. 2. The medical provider didn't have any record whatsoever of my wife being treated at ANY time in April of 2010. 3. Neither the medical provider, nor their billing company, uses CFS, or the company they claim to have received the case from, Pollino Solutions, LLC, to satisfy debt collection.

I called CFS and demanded a refund - which, surprisingly, they gave me. I also asked the credit card company for a stop payment and a block on their company for a transaction. I also demanded from CFS a printed copy of the original medical bill. I've gotten a variety of answers from the people I've spoken with - "We have that documentation, we don't have that documentation but we can get it from Pollino Solutions, and we don't have (nor will we ever be able to get) that documentation."

As it stands, CFS is telling me that they will not close this in my favor (i.e., without demanding payment) without a letter from the medical provider, relinquishing the original debt. The medical provider is refusing to give me such a letter since they have no record of the original account or debt. CFS has until Tuesday next week to provide me with the documentation that I demanded before I can file complaints against them with the AG's office and the BBB. Hopefully, I'll hear back from the local PD today, and they can get some kind of resolution.

If it goes to filing complaints, and they try to ding my credit rating, I am retaining an attorney and filing suit. If it comes to that, and any of you who are experiencing similar issues with CFS want to join in, please let me know. One hundred of us, and it becomes class action... much, much harder for them to ignore!!

Original review: July 24, 2015

My credit is being ruined by this company. They are trying to get 1400.00 dollars from me which I do not owe. They did not file correctly so therefore they didn't receive their payment. I have disputed this in the past and was told everything was taken care of a year ago. And as of two days ago I receive another bill stating that I owe them 1400.00 dollars again. This is RIDICULOUS!!!

Original review: March 31, 2015

I was alerted via my credit monitoring that this company placed a bill on my report. This company never mailed me anything and failed to verify any information. I explained to them that this bill was taken care of and the representative was nasty and rude. I feel that this is fraud and this company should be held liable.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Back in September of 2014 I saw two items on my Credit Karma report from Eastern Emergency Physicians put there by Common Wealth Financial debt collection department. I investigated this by calling the Physicians and found out they did not use the proper number when submitting my claim to my NJ Insurance Company.

All three of us were on the phone at the same time, Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Eastern Emergency Physicians and myself and we got this straightened out. I contacted TransUnion with proper paperwork showing this debt was satisfied. TransUnion did their own investigation and sent confirmation to me that the debt was satisfied and included 2 statements from the Physician's Group. Commonwealth continues to call me even though I have sent them the documentation proof.

I received a call 6:35am on March 18th and a call from them every day since. (Today is March 25th). They are argumentative, refuse to look at the paperwork and have said some very nasty things to me. I have all of their calls taped as you can tape conversations in the State I live in without a 2-party notification. They have threatened to put the debt back on TransUnion credit report. I now have contacted a lawyer to protect myself from these evil people. I have sent all the back up to the 3 major credit reporting businesses and asked them to block Commonwealth from trying to put this back on my report. I'm exhausted, angry and can't believe I have to get a lawyer involved at this point.

Original review: March 13, 2015

They keep calling my phone looking for someone by the name **. I have explained to them that I am not ** nor do I know a **. They keep calling all hours of the day bothering me at work as well on my cellphone. I have asked them numerous times to please remove my name from their calling list. This time the caller hangs up and on me. I call back and he starts yelling at me. I ask him again please do not call my number again that I am not who you are looking for. He was very rude and starts yelling at me.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2014

I am a disabled senior and in 2009 an ER doctor put a bill into collections. I sent proof that the bill was paid not only by the car insurance company but by Medicare also. 5 years later they are still harassing me - calling at all hours and using local "call back" numbers and for the first couple of years I would try and explain only to be told that I should just pay them a reduced amount to get them to stop. This Dr. WAS paid... TWICE... and I refuse to be extorted by a financial debt collection agency when I don't owe the debt. A couple years ago they reported me as a debtor to the credit reporting agencies and I have NEVER owed a debt in my life! I have paid off thousands in Medical bills (both for myself and my late husband who died from cancer). I am not someone who doesn't pay what I owe. Right now this company is taking my peace of mind and right to peace over a debt I proved was paid years ago. They are lowlife and I can only hope that someday their karma will catch up to them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2014

I got a letter from this company about 4 months ago saying i owe "X" amount of money from a past bill. The thing is i had filed bankruptcy and this debt fell under that. I called and talked to them and informed this of this problem. The lady i first spoke to was rude and told me they can't do anything till i proved i did filled bankruptcy and this debt is from that. So i did called my lawyer, got all the information i needed and called back to give them this information. This time a man answered the call and i explained to him what was going on and he asked me if i had filed chapter 7 or 13. I told him which one i had filed and he said "ok we will look into it", so i stopped him and said "well the lady i talked to was rude and told me i needed all this information" and he said "nope we can find it if it is real" and then hung up.

A few days later it was off my credit report and my score was back to normal, so i thought the problem was fixed, but then a couple of weeks ago i got a notice that my score had changed so i logged on and there it was, they reported it again! So i have emailed and called them about this. So we will see how this goes again.

Original review: July 2, 2014

Calling several times a day... Always a recording... If a true debt, never notified through mailings.

Commonwealth Financial Systems Company Information