2.22/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

5182 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 28, 2019

I have sent the correct documents to have my account restriction lifted it's been over a month. It clearly says us I'd accepted as proof of address but they keep asking for a utility bill in my state utilities are paid by landlord. No utilities exist. This is sickening and annoying. I never want to do business with this company again. They mail all my mail to a GA address but want proof of address in NY. I receive no mail in NY. Why mail the card to an address you don't want to verify. It doesn't make sense.

Netspend response

Hello Leah, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 28, 2019

So I have been with Netspend over a year now, they told me about the “new” all access card...they told me everything would stay the same, my direct deposit the deposit the same way. Well today is payday, my usual payday 2x faster and NO MONEY. When I looked at my account I see they changed the account and routing number without informing me of that change. Now I’m going through COMPLICATIONS. After 2 reps simply told me nothing would change and everything would be the same. This is not right and FRAUD. Now I have to figure out how to get my money, and cancel bills and make arrangements due to this inconvenience. And on top Of that they close at a certain time so can’t even speak to a representative. THIS IS TERRIBLE.

Hello Markeisha,

I regret to hear about your experience with the Account upgrade, to your Netspend All-Access account. With this, my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

You are correct, in the sense that your upgraded account is assigned to a new Account and Routing number but that this account is still linked to your original Account and Routing number, allowing for a smooth transition that will continue to allow you in receiving funds, using your original Account and Routing number. This process does not delay receiving direct deposits.

Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Ace Flare refused to give my sister a credit after someone stole her debit card. Someone she knew took her card and withdrew over 700 from her account and left her in a negative of $104. She reported it the same day she realized it was missing and they didn't even give it a full investigation. I will be pursuing this completely. If they would have taken the full 90 days and investigated to see who withdrew the money they would be able to press charges on whoever it was. Sincerely, you lost a loyal customer 2013.

Hello Christine,

We greatly regret to hear about the service that your sister experienced. With that being said, our apologies for this inconvenience.

Our company is committed in providing high quality services that meet the needs of our customers. Rest assured that we would want to do our best to provide your sister with another dispute review, and possibly a better resolution as well.

We advise that she reaches us directly, so that we may contact her and provide additional assistance.

Original review: March 27, 2019

My dd is late and my company sent it today. Please advise - I need my money! Never had an issue before and now I'm nervous after reading the reviews... If this takes any longer I'll just switch companies.

Hello Jennifer,

We regret to hear that you did not receive your deposit as early as expected. Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us or when we are to receive your direct deposits.

Original review: March 27, 2019

On 03/24/19 I opened a dispute against a merchant that did not provide services I paid for. I included the contract, receipts and email from that merchant. I got an email on 03/25/19 saying they got my dispute. I called today ONLY to be told they will not have an update for me until 04/05/19. This is the worst bank EVER!!! DO NOT USE THEM AT ALL!!! They DO NOT care about customers at all!!! I provided all of the information they asked for and my $$ still has not be credited back. All the rep said was, "wait for the update'. DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT EVER use Netspend!! My $ is gone and Netspend does not care that the merchant took it.

Hello Shawnetta,

We certainly apologize for this inconvenience that you're experiencing with your disputes claim. When we notify a merchant of your dispute, we are required to provide them with enough time to respond to your claim as defined in both Regulation E and in Netspend cardholder agreement. Typically, this timeframe can take between 45 days. If the merchant does not provide supporting documentation by this date, we will recover the money back and refund your account the following day.

We understand that the dispute process can take some time. However, we can assure you that we will do everything we can to assist you with getting these funds returned.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach us directly.

Netspend

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: March 27, 2019

Netspend just decided to withhold a direct deposit for no apparent reason. Been fighting for days, at least 50 calls to either be lied to or hung up on. I have NEVER SEEN A MORE UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY in my life. Thieves and morons that care nothing about their customers.

Hello Melissa,

I regret to hear about the issues you experienced with your direct deposit, along with customer support. With this, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

We certainly want to make sure you get the assistance and resolution you deserve. If you are still in need of any assistance, please reach back out to us, so that we may work to resolve and possibly rectify this situation.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have been with Netspend for several years and my account has been compromised recently. Netspend did not contact me with this matter, I went to use my card and it was declined. I try to log into the account and I was locked out. I contacted customer support and they tell me my account has been compromised. I file a police report detailing the transactions and order a new card. I sent all of this to Netspend, thinking that this process will be handled quickly. Netspend denied my dispute. I have over $600 in fraudulent charges.

They tell me those are normal charges. I live and work in Texas, these charges occurred in several other states in a very short time. How could I have been in more than 3 states in 2 days? It takes nearly 2 days just to get out of Texas! They tell me that there is nothing they can do, that I accessed my account. That's not right. Either the phone number they have on file is not my number, I updated my phone number in November. They tell me these transactions didn't result in a negative balance, but they did! I'm very dissatisfied with all of this and how they have handled this situation. I want my money back, I work hard for it. Protect yourself and your family, don't use this company.

Hello Katrina,
We regret to hear that you still have concerns regarding your dispute claim. The details of our dispute investigation were mailed to your address on file.
We do apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused you. if you have any questions please contact us.

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

The company has accommodated my request for a refund. Thank you.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Netspend is requesting my minor son's birth certificate and SS card and my birth certificate and SS card to activate a $50 Visa gift card. A gift card from a real company doesn't require all of that. This company appears to be a scam. Why is it necessary for us to email these important documents in order to activate a $50 gift card? You won't scam us! You can keep the $$. I'm sure that's why you require so much documentation so that you can keep the consumer's money. Beware of this company.

Hi Katrina,
We regret to hear that you purchased our debit card in error, thinking it was a gift card. We understand your apprehensions, however the USA Patriot Act requires that all financial institutions verify customer identity information. Please contact us and we will issue you a refund.

Original review: March 26, 2019

So I'm not shocked to see that there's a lot of complaints about disputes getting thrown out or overlooked. Netspend has lost their mind if they think I'm going to let $800 almost $900 just get got from me no way no how. And then they tell me they didn't just decide that it never got took but they have documentation to prove it... REALLY. Y'all can kiss my ** and I will fight this till my money is returned to me... There's no doubt in my mind that this will get looked into and they will pay me back for every day or hour, min, or second I have to miss from work and any fees that occurs from having to deal with a problem that I was told wouldn't be a problem and that's that.

You're a major let down and advise anyone who has an account or plan to get one to find something different ASAP because GOD FORBID some idiot gets into your account and steals your money they're going to tell you "well I guess your money just got stolen. Is there anything else I can help you with" click... They're useless and no need to reply with your automated script saying you're sorry. Someone from your team has been in contact with me about this matter. So what.

Hello Felicia,
I appreciate having the opportunity to speak with you today about your dispute claim and addressing your issue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a prepaid Visa card for my au pair and it's taken me two full weeks to try and activate it. They have asked for my au pair's social security card, a letter with current address, state issued ID, Passport and US approved Visa. Despite sending all of these documents to three separate times, they are still telling me they need more detail and the card remains unactivated. It is unacceptable to have to jump through this many hoops and turn over sensitive personal information for a card that has already been paid for with cash. DO NOT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCTS FROM NETSPEND. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Hello Adrian,
We regret to hear about the concerns you experienced with activation of your Au pair's account. We would like to resolve this for you, please feel free to contact us so we can rectify this situation.

Original review: March 26, 2019

We gave our kids NetSpend debit cards for Christmas and our son who is in High School tried to activate the card, he was asked for his SS#. He was also asked to attach a pin# to the card, after doing so he COULDNT ever activate it and we have not been able to get ANY HELP from NetSpend. This company must be stealing lots of money from people. I want to file a complaint about this, but I am not sure where to go. My son never was able to use the card that he received for Christmas.

Hi Dennis and Karen,
We’re sorry to hear that you are having issues activating your son's account and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies. Please email us so that we can further assist you.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was incarcerated for a domestic violence issue with my ex-girlfriend. She unauthorized used my debit card and stole over $3,300 of my social security money. After providing all documents and a police report to show the investigation going on, and how I was not even able to use the card since I was in jail They after 10 days reply with saying “No error found. Based on the facts of our investigation, we were unable to determine an error occurred.” How is this possible?! Absolutely horrible! Please help!

Netspend response

Hello Joe, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 25, 2019

To activate these cards you must first register the card and provide your complete Social Security Number, mailing address, phone number and date of birth. Good luck getting a human to answer the phone - customer service is NON-EXISTENT.

Hi Nora,
Thanks for your interest in our card/services. We regret to hear that you are having issues with activation. Please contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I put $450 cash onto my Netspend card and I was told 30 minutes. It don't show as pending and I have called them 4 times. It has been many hours since the load. I was told it was in their end by a supervisor. He assured me that it would be there and that my case was supposedly escalated to get the money out of pending. It shows a credit then shows where they took it right back I have all texts and receipts. Guess a call my brother, the attorney and the BBB as well as the police for a theft report. Pathetic my utilities are going to be shut off today as I put my whole paycheck on the card to pay my bills for myself and kids and now I. Flat broke with nothing and my utilities will be off today. I works so hard for my money. I'm just sick.

Hi Brooke,
We are very disappointed to read of your experience while using our services. We reached out to you today, but was unsuccessful. According to our records, you now have access to your funds.
Please contact us if there is anything that we can do for you. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I have been a NetSpend user for quite some time. I had paid a bill and the wrong account number was used. As soon as I found out I called NetSpend to cancel out the transaction. I had to pay the bill again with another account number. Already received a letter from the merchant that payment was returned to NetSpend. It's been 26 days and I have yet to have my money credited back to my account. I have emailed over and over again. Still work no prevail.

I don't have a problem with them taking my fees out as they do. What I have a problem with is waiting to get my money back on my card which I need. It's not 10:00 $20. This is a few hundred and I need my money now. If this is how I consumer works for people that give them their money then I will no longer be using this card. This is when I'm long enough I was told I would be credited the money back to my account again. Then almost a month not very happy. Reading some of the reviews on here are not very good and I'm considering switching cards. I also belong to a credit union. Maybe I should just put my money in there. What I know it's safe.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I have had NetSpend for several years. I had a problem with my card and was advised by customer service to get another card because I did not have time to wait for a new one. I have spent countless time on hold and waiting to get things fixed and still nothing has happened. When I get home from my vacation I will be changing service to a new company that has better customer service.

Hello Chris,
We regret to hear about the concerns you experienced with your Netspend card. According to our records a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you.
We would like to earn back your business. Please contact us

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 24, 2019

I tried to get my son a card to which they sent him one, and once he got the card they told him they could not activate the card because of his age. We sent in several documents and still nothing. Prior to that he had a direct deposit going to one of their accounts in which they are still withholding his money stating it was not deposited but his HR has a clear confirmation that his money was deposited into MetaBank. But they keep saying they don't have the deposit, I have talk to about 10 of their workers and asked every time to speak with a manager and nothing. It's been about 20 days and still no contact from management and my son is still missing over $500 in a direct deposit. If there anyone who can help me get some kind of results. The Worst Company ever...

Netspend response

Hi Kimoko, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 23, 2019

To all of those complaining about fraudulent transactions taking place on their account keep in mind that Netspend is not an EMV compliant card, it doesn’t have the chip to protect against fraud. It is a prepaid card, nothing more or less. Then to add insult to injury, they charge per transaction. I’ve had the card for 12 days, when I finally had a deposit come through I had been using the card and realized I had spent $9.00 in transactions fees alone. Who the hell does that? My fault for not reading the fine print or whatever but I’ve since emailed them to close this account. I tend to do multiple transactions a day a Netspend account would not be worth it for me. I’ll go back to Chase Bank, thank you.

Netspend response

Hello Maureen, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 23, 2019

I am a current card holder of NetSpend Visa. I have had a terrible experience with them and their customer service. I had made an order online and canceled it and the seller made the withdrawal from my PayPal account that put my NetSpend card at a negative balance. I have a $10 cushion on my card and they exceeded that $10 cushion and paid $36 to an order that I had canceled and it put my card at a negative balance. That was $15 overdraft fee and when I got off work thinking that I had $19 on my card I went to Family Dollar and made a $3.50 purchase which was approved and keep in mind I only have a $10 overdraft cushion. That was another $15 overdraft fee.

So I make a complaint to customer service and they said when PayPal received my refund and it is put back in my account the first overdraft fee will be reversed. But when it is put back in my NetSpend account by PayPal they refuse to do it even after they had emailed me and told me they would before it was deposited. NetSpend is a scam. I've never received my direct deposit 2 days in advance. Even though my iPay account says that my NetSpend card is credited on Wednesdays I never receive it until Thursday. Other employees where I work get their as deposited on Wednesdays through their Bank. So if you're looking for a faster direct deposit choose a bank account.

Netspend response

Hello Ricky, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was referred into opening up a Netspend account. So I work, get paid cash every day so I loaded my card at a speedway on my way from work like three nights in a row once for 180 and then like 160 then another day for like 100 so a little over $400 to figure out someone was using my card every day and maxing it out and had my other cards and info. Well to make a long story short Netspend told me to file a dispute so I filed one but they also told me my account was closed because of !!!high risk activity!!! I never had a reloadable card in my life until I got the card. I never even used it. I was saving money.

So anyway they said my account is closed but I had my card stolen and I did file the dispute and they Told me that I was given a provisional credit so how am I going to get my money back? Netspend are liars and I heard about how they did it to over 1000000 customers back between the years of 2010 to 2014 with over 100000 customers blocked. If they don’t want my business that’s fine but I want my money back and they closed my account. They better send me a check. I work hard for my money and I don’t like being ripped off and I getting real close to filing a lawsuit. Thank you for looking into this and hope for a response ASAP. Ghassan **.

Netspend response

Hello Ghassan, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 22, 2019

I’ve decked two Netspend cards as a gift. My husband and I have been trying to call to activate one of the cards and it we get a message that the card number is invalid every single time. This is so frustrated. We really wanted to speak to someone about it but there is no option to do so. We’ve spent countless hours online trying to figure this whole thing out. We don’t want throw the card away since we know that there is money attached to them. We would really love any help at this point. We have never encountered this kind of issue with any businesses especially a financial institution. This is bad business.

Netspend response

Hello Dee, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have used Netspend for a long time. Several times my account has been locked due to someone stealing my card number. Then, they cancel my card without my consent, and I can't access my money for days. Currently my phone is cut off because I can't pay my bill. I called Netspend, but they were no help at all. After being hung up on by 3 different agents, I finally spoke to a man who suggested I go and buy another Netspend card to have my money transferred to. How am I supposed to buy another card when I can't get to my money??? They should have run it by me before cancelling my card, or at least come up with some other option so that people aren't stuck in a tough spot every time this happens. Last time it happened I was at a gas station, on E, and unable to get home. From the other reviews I've read, this is a common occurrence with Netspend.

Netspend response

Hello Jamie, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have had my Netspend account for years with never ever any problems. Last week my account was locked and when I called Netspend told me I had to speak with the compliance department and send in my tax returns in order to reopen. In all the 10 plus years that I have had this account I have never been asked to submit any documents. I submitted anyway and got a response back of the compliance board voting against me and my account will permanently be closed and I can never open another Netspend account again??!!! And when I call the number no one answers. I was not given any further reason except the board voted against me!! I'm very upset and disappointed that out of nowhere my account is just closed. Horrible way for this company to do business!!

Netspend response

Hello Arlene, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 22, 2019

My card was stolen so I had to report it, someone took over 2000 dollars off of my card! I have been calling customer service. They were no help! I contacted FTC with a complaint regarding this matter. I was given a claim number. I also have my lawyers involved with this as well. Someone please tell me what else can be done! I need my money on account that I'm paying for my Chemotherapy and radiation out of pocket. I will never use Netspend again and I will fight to the end about my money.

Netspend response

Hello Jade, Thank you for speaking with us today, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been a NetSpend customer for about 6 years but recently got upgraded to All Access. I get paid two days earlier and I usually have no issues. I filed a dispute a few weeks back and the one thing they will say is that my next update will be on March 29th. I still have my direct deposit going to this account. So I emailed back still the same generic response. Why would I countinue to give them my business if my account is not secure? Before then I downloaded cash app and it allowed me to enter my NetSpend card but I tried to send 400 but it failed and they returned it to bank. But NetSpend said the transaction was voided but I told the customer service rep, "I'm looking at my deposit and adding my purchases up and exactly 400 is missing. So where the hell is my money?" It's such a headache. I have enjoyed my many years with NetSpend but I feel like my money is being drained and I'm helpless my account is overdrawn because of this.

Netspend response

Hello Tremelle, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been a Netspend customer for years and I am Soo upset with how they trying to handle me about the unauthorized charges on my account. You have to wait for your own money. Can't never speak to technical support. They are liars and will say you made the charges to your account. They sent me several messages talking about they had called the number I have on file. All lies. I always trusted Netspend until this happened to me.

Netspend response

Hello Tawana, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: March 21, 2019

So I’ve had this account for years but now my direct deposit is LATE! It is NOT my company’s issue as everyone else is PAID. To make matters worse, in out of town and I’ve been calling customer service for hours! Still, they say check with my company! I DID THAT FOLKS! I am hungry and thirsty and still unable to check into the hotel because my direct deposit is late! It would be better if SOMEONE ANYONE with PayPal Prepaid Customer Service took responsibility BUT NO ONE DOES. I’m stranded and disappointed!

Hello Kimmie,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today, regarding this issue that you are experiencing, with the delay in Direct deposit.

Once again, our apologies for this inconvenience, as it seems that this is not on your employer's end. We are working diligently to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

We do appreciate your patience and cooperation, as we work quickly to provide your funds.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I’m just worried. Changed my direct deposit from my bank to Netspend at the recommendation of a co worker. Wednesday's morning there is nothing. I call and they tell me, “Please wait. It sometimes takes a little longer to post.” Wait till the end of the day and nothing yet. Call my workplace and confirm the deposit, account and routing number. Call Netspend and all they say is we have no deposit. My friend who recommended me has her deposit since 11 am. No idea what to expect at this point.

Hello Ivan,

I regret to hear that you have concerns regarding the status of your Direct Deposit, as well as the customer support that was provided. With this, my apologies for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries.

Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when your direct deposit is scheduled to be sent to us. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives. We do appreciate your patience and cooperation.

We attempted to reach out to you today, via phone and email, for further assistance but had no success. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to respond directly to your voicemail/email or contact us directly at social@netspend.com.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 20, 2019

Don't use NetSpend/Skylight to bank. Skylight one was banking through SunTrust. At that time I had zero problems banking with them. Now since they changed banks all I have are issues. They lie and are very rude. I've been trying to get a new card for what seems like forever! Today is my 3rd attempt at trying to receive my card. I was told it would be here today by one person and in 3 more days by the other. Clearly one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Or the are just opening lying to me. I'm not sure what's worst having a bank that lies or having a bank that can't complete a simple task of mailing a card.

Hi Virgil,

We’re sorry to hear that you are having issues receiving a new card and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies. Please email us so that we can further assist you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 19, 2019

My card was lost in an purse with my phone, the person who found it hacked my phone and in the notes in my phone I saved the pin for the debit card. Whoever found it or stole the purse unauthorized and or overdraft my prepaid card for $796.44, the bank has denied the dispute without valid reason. I asked respectfully Netspend prepaid card to provide me with videos, ATM records, and all information that the ATMs and or merchants has provided in order to verify that an proper investigation has been made. I will be starting a lawsuit and a complaint with the board of the banks and other agencies that correspond.

Hello Ixander,

I regret to hear that you are having concerns with the outcome of your claim. We truly apologize for the inconvenience.

Please keep in mind that Netspend does not pertain the ability to obtain video surveillance from third party ATM/Vendors. However, per your request, we can provide you with your dispute information, obtained throughout the investigation. Once you have this information available, we would be more than willing to go over this information together to determine if any possible discrepancies.

Please contact us so that we can review your account.

Netspend Company Information