2.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Netspend is a leading provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards in the U.S. Our mission is to empower the millions of folks who don’t want or don’t have a traditional bank account. Netspend offers more than a piece of plastic with numbers on it. With a Netspend card, our cardholders get a bank-issued, FDIC-insured account that’s complete with fraud protection and global acceptance. Cardholders can even use unique virtual accounts for safe online shopping. Netspend gives cardholders the convenience of loading cash at more than 130,000 locations in the U.S., and the peace of mind that comes with getting paid faster with direct deposit. If you already have a Netspend card, “Thank you!”

5048 Netspend Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My daughter (16 years old) needed a card for direct deposit for her work. She went online to Netspend, put in her information to get a card, got the direct deposit information. Card came in the mail a week later. She could not activate the card due to not being 18. By their own terms and conditions - you must be 18 to open an account - or have a legal guardian be the primary on the account and the minor as the secondary cardholder. We called them to get it straight. I was told to send in all of the needed documents to have me added to the account as the primary and her as the secondary. Was told it would take 6 business hours to complete the process. 4 days later - it is still not done.

We have spoke with them several times about this. They refuse to help or listen to what I am telling them. She is a minor and by their terms and conditions cannot have an account with her as the primary account holder. But they refuse to talk to me - her mother - about the account unless they have her permission - which by law she is not able to give. She has a direct deposit pending to her account that she cannot access because they refuse to talk to me about her account.

Even though I have sent all the information in that they have requested. They have breached their own terms and conditions and are refusing to accept that they messed up. Anyone can open an account online. It never asked for date of birth until you go to activate the card, only then do they ask. I am now to the point of getting an attorney involved because they have my information but will not tell me what is being done with it without speaking to my daughter because she is the primary account holder - which again she cannot legally give consent for this account since she is a minor and not of the age of legal consent.

So my questions are these... 1. If someone under 18 cannot be an account holder - why is date of birth not asked on the website in order to prevent a minor from opening an account? 2. When you have sent in all the documents and are told it will be 6 business hours to complete the process - how long really is 6 business hour? We have been waiting since Monday? 3. Why do you need ID, SSC and birth certificates for a prepaid card? 4. Who are you selling/sharing this information with? 5. If I have sent in my information and you can clearly see it in your system that I have - Why can you not tell me what is being done with my information? 6. Is it a common practice for you to violate your own terms and conditions?

The conversations I had today with a customer service rep and her supervisor were completely unprofessional on their part. Refusing to listen to what I was telling them in regards to MY information that I sent them. Refusing to answer simple questions on their process. They could not understand when I was telling them that they had already broke their own terms and conditions.

Netspend response

Hello Joni, I am sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with our Customer Service and trying to get your daughter's card activated. We want to make sure we are providing the correct information and want to ensure we are doing everything we can to get her card activated. We will have a member of our Corporate Office reach out to you directly to assist. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I recently had an authorized charge from Comcast that took my entire paycheck. I called Netspend and was told to call Comcast for a quicker turn around versus their 15 day dispute timing. Comcast agreed the charges were unauthorized and for me to let Netspend know. Upon calling back I spoke with another rep who continued to say I understand as if this is all they are taught to say. Clearly you don't understand my paycheck was taken from my account I'm asking you to verify immediately so I can pay my bills as my power is off.

Long story short I spoke to 4 reps over 2 hours in total and no solution. Every Rep has the same accent, they are hard to understand and they do not understand you. How was my money taken but can't be refunded for 15 days? Why are there no reps like me to assist me? Why do it takes so long to handle business for each rep? I have been with Netspend for several years and always referred people without using the referral options but just for the card convenience and earlier pay. Waiting on a refund deposit and will never deal with them again. I understand outsourcing save money but when no one is capable or literate enough to assist customers you will lose. Poor customer service and I need MY MONEY back before 2/21.

Hello Vakelvion,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your account concerns. We regret to hear about the unauthorized activity that took place on your account. After reviewing your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has contacted you regarding your claim concerns. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Worst card I've ever used. Charges me $1-2 dollars every time I have used it just for a regular purchase. It's a ripoff. I've paid almost half my money in fees. Never seen anything like it. Would never recommend.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for reaching out to us i regards to your fee schedule. We are sorry to hear that you feel our fee schedule does not meet your expectations.

After review of your account, our records show that your are currently enrolled in the Pay As You Go feel plan schedule and have spoken with our Customer Experience Team regarding fee plan options. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using Netspend for over 2 years mostly for direct deposit. A couple weeks ago someone tried to use my card either by calling up and seeing if the numbers were valid or online. I was never told exactly what it was. I then switched to their all access account which offers other things the regular card does not. Having done so about 2 weeks ago everything was fine then all of a sudden out of nowhere I get a text on my phone that there may be a problem with my card. I called up and they told me I needed to send all these documents to them for security measures and they will get back to me in 6 hours. After I agreed to do so which I don't like sending my info via email they had the nerve to tell me it would take 48 hours for them to review my information after I was told up to 6 hours.

This is a disgrace and not a good way to treat your good customers. I was never told what the reason for this was. I am going to file a police report tomorrow against the company because you are holding my hard earned money and not giving me access to my funds. You are not allowed to hold someone's money without giving them informations to why. It's against the law. I will be notifying the police tomorrow morning.

Hello Kimara,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback regarding your cardholder experience. We regret to hear about what took place with your account and would like the opportunity to fix it.

We were unable to locate your account with the information provided. A member of our Customer Experience Team will be contact you shortly regarding your experience. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been using NetSpend for at least 10 years. I had ordered a card in the mail in October for my husband, Rey, because he got a job. Rey started direct depositing his money onto my card. I thought he needed to have his own card, and I verified this. Then I got an email saying that they couldn't send it because of some reason so I had to call and it was December before I was finally able to get someone on the phone to talk to me about it. I called and talked to this guy on the phone, and I had such a difficult time even understanding him. We repeated the same thing 10 times. I told him that I needed the card and I need it in my husband's name. And the main thing is that I had paid $9.99 for the card back when I first ordered it, but I never got it.

But when I talked to the guy, he said that there was no charge for the card. I told him that I was already charged for the card. He was arguing that it was free and I asked him why I paid $10 for it. He just argued with me and all I wanted was an explanation about why I spent that $10 if I didn’t have to pay for that card. I was very frustrated. I ended up getting the card in January but it was in my name and I never ordered another card in my name. Then two weeks later, I finally got a card in my husband's name.

The $10 is still in the wind, and I have no idea what happened to that and what the situation with that is. They claim they refunded it, but it was never refunded to my account. I live from check to check and I would've known and seen when they put it back in there, but they did not. In addition, I had an overdraft for years and I always pay it back every single month when I used it. But for some reason, they took away the overdraft so I didn’t know what the situation with that was. But it doesn’t matter because I don’t need it necessarily. Other than that, we finally got everything worked out and everything is better.

Hello Rayna,

Thank you for sharing your cardholder experience. We regret to hear about what took place with your card order.

After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team reached out to you in regards to your account. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us directly at social@netspend.com.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I’m very happy with NetSpend and I like everything about it. I’m disabled and NetSpend has helped me to manage my finances. My money goes right on there, and it’s just so much easier for me because I’m also my parents’ caregiver. Their representatives have been great. I’ve already referred a couple of people to NetSpend, and they’ve been very satisfied.

Hello Kimberly,

Thank you for such positive feedback! We love to hear about our cardholders experience and your feedback lets us know that we are providing a positive banking experience.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

So my normal payday is Thursday and it usually is in my account before I even wake up but I decided like an idiot that I wanted my money two whole days earlier. Worst decision I’ve made and I regret it so much. Late direct deposit every time, today’s early would be Tuesday yet I get my money on Wednesday morning? How’s that two days?

Then call to speak to customers service and it’s always “well we have to wait for the money to come from your employer.” Hmmm ok so my employer sends payroll out Saturday night yet I get paid so late. Started getting paid at 12am then 2:00pm. Now I gotta wait a whole day to get paid my money that I worked hard for. At this point it’s said and they know what they are doing. People, I’ve been with them for 1 hard year and sad part is my taxes has to be put on this card because my dumb self did direct deposit with them. I will be canceling my account and opening a real account where I get paid the same time on the same day. SMH.

Hello Mark,

I regret to hear about your experience with the Direct Deposit feature.

I understand that you did not receive your deposit as early as expected. Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us but to also take into consideration the 3-5 business days for electronic transfers. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience. Your patience has been very much appreciated.

We have attempted to reach out to you today, to provide further assistance. Please feel free to respond directly. - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

If I had the option to put zero stars I would have done so... I have been using this company for my banking needs for close to a year now and never had any issues. My husband set up the account from the very start. When he made the account he listed my name as his. Keep in mind been married for over 8 years but NEVER legally changed my name on my social security card or my driver’s license. I called the company yesterday and asked them would they fix my LAST name on the account because my tax refund check was going to soon be direct depositing and my last name needed to be corrected on the account. The rep tells me absolutely no problem to email them a copy of my social security card and driver’s license which I did and then I get a email informing me they completely closed my account so all my money was being sent out in the form of a check to me and my future direct deposits would be rejected.

I call them after receiving this email and ask why in the world would they close my account. I did exactly what was asked of me. This rep tells me there is nothing she can do to help me. It’s already been done. I ask to speak to her manager. She puts me on hold then comes back on the phone and I can clearly tell I’m still speaking to the exact same person I was the first time and she proceeds to tell me I’m now speaking to a manager. When I call her out on this lie she then asks me why I wanted to speak to the manager as if I don’t have the right to ask for one and then after another 1 1/2 hour wait finally get a man who comes on the line and tells me he’s the manager and informs me nothing can be done.

I feel like these people are scam artist... I’m the one that called this company to begin with to ask to correct my name. It’s not like they contacted me and then I’m punished for asking for them to correct a issue. I have 3 children and work pay check to paycheck. Now I’m being informed that I no longer have access to my moneys that were in my account and my upcoming direct deposit will be rejected as well as my tax return that I desperately need!!! How is this legal. What they are doing?

Netspend response

Hello Whitney, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I was scammed, someone called calming they were with the sheriffs department and I had a warrant out for my arrest and I needed to post bail. They said I had to get a Netspend card to do this. I did, out of fear and I should had known better. I never activated the cards, but assume they got the info and opened them and spent them. They changed the pin number, and SSN, so now I can't even call and find out about the cards. I have emailed Netspend and not heard back. I feel they should do something to protect those who actually purchase them and would think they would want to help victims of identity theft.

Netspend response

Hello Amy, A member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I’ve been with NetSpend for eight years and it’s been absolutely wonderful. I use it for my everyday purchases. I can use it wherever I wanna use it just like a Visa card. I also do direct deposit on it. I spoke with the reps from NetSpend and their customer service was excellent. Keep up the good work.

Hello Jera,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are excited to hear that you are enjoying your cardholder experience. Thanks for being such a loyal customer!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

They keep sending me card after card. Just received another recently. I want to close all my NetSpend accounts and no longer receive these cards. I'm married now and called to see if I could have a card received set up, they ask for too much personal info. Don't trust them. Thanks Dawn **. I can see from these reviews that nothing is good happening to these people. It's sad really. And NetSpend says the same thing in response. Unacceptable!!!

Hello Dawn,
I am sorry you are receiving unwanted cards at your residence. We can remove your name and address from our mailing list.

We are required by the USA PATRIOT Act to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens a card account with us. When our cardholders open a card account or add a secondary cardholder, we ask for their name, physical street address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to reasonably identify them. A member of our corporate office will reach out to you directly. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I don't trust banks and I don't feel like I need to pay a bunch of money for my own money. The prices are really low at NetSpend. I like that using it is easy and convenient. I don't have to go to a bank. The mobile check loading is awesome too. With Netspend, I know exactly how much is in my account. I've also utilized the savings feature which has helped immensely. Instead of just going out and blowing money, you can put them into the savings account and that is kind of hidden from you. That helps you save money.

Also, I always lose use my card so I've had to call Netspend. I had to deal with a lot of people a lot of times and they were all very nice. Recently, I was in Jamaica. I took a cruise and my card got cut off while I was there. I was really pissed because I was in another country and I had no money. I was tripping out. I had no wireless phone connection down there so I couldn't call. When I got back to the ship, I called. They explained to me that they were sorry that that happened, but Jamaica is a really shady place. When there is somebody who keeps using the card on the internet, they shut it down because they feel it could be an issue. And after spending time in Jamaica, I realized they are so right. I was thankful that they were watching out for me.

Hello Karrie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

The security of your money and your identity is important to us. We want to assure you that your funds are handled with the utmost security.

Thank you for being such a loyal and understanding customer!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Netspend = exasperating. I am in a foreign country with a blocked Netspend card, when I never reported it lost or stolen. I have REPEATEDLY tried calling the only Netspend customer service number I've been given, and I get the same voicemail answer. 'We are unable to process your call at this time. Have a wonderful day.' My day is not so wonderful when I am stuck in a foreign country with no access to funds and nobody to speak to to be held accountable on Netspend's end. I feel vulnerable and not safe. When I email Netspend, I get a reply to call the number. This is going around in circles and making me dizzy in a way that is not conducive to me enjoying myself on holiday. I hope somebody from Netspend reads this and takes heed immediately. Thank you.

Netspend response

Hello Chad, sorry to hear that your Netspend card is not working and you are unable to speak with anyone. We will have someone with our Risk Department reach out to you via email right away. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Don't trust this company. It sent my 15 year old son a card. When one of their major requirements is that you must be 18 years old. I contacted the company and they basically told me they work with partnerships and anyone that applies for anything that they have a partnership with will be sent a card rather they are a minor or not. Unacceptable...

Netspend response

Hello Valerie, I am sorry your minor son received a card in the mail. We do work with third parties and at the time names are addresses are collected, we do not receive birthdates of individuals. That information is collected as part of the activation process. We will have a member of our corporate office reach out to you directly so we can remove your son's name and address from our marketing list. We can also request the source information of how your son's information was sent to us. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I was tired of banks and what they were doing to me. Every time I get a bank account, they would send money out to people that I had no idea who they were. They also wouldn't help me in getting the money back so I said that I was done with the banks and I don't need it. Then, I discovered NetSpend through the VA and decided to do it and ever since, I've been happy with them. They don't charge an overdraft fee and it has been helping me keep my budget on track. Though I am able to use my NetSpend card to pay bills and purchase online, I cannot get DISH Network or DirecTV as they do not accept it. Despite that, their reps have been really helpful and knowledgeable if we call in for a problem.

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for providing such positive feedback! We are happy to hear that you are happy with your banking experience.

If you ever have any questions or concerns with your account, feel free to contact us directly at social@netspend.com.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have been with them for over a year and the earliest I received my direct deposit was 2 hours before midnight on my normal Friday morning pay from a real bank. I complained to them but they said it is a 3rd party issue. 52 weeks and I mostly get paid Friday morning from them last year. I am done with Netspend.

Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your deposit concerns. We regret to hear that you have not been receiving your deposits as early as expected.

Unfortunately, as the recipient of your deposit, we do not have control over when it is sent to us. Rest assured we will always post your deposit as soon as it arrives and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Make sure you are signed up for our free Anytime Alerts, so we can text you once it’s here.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I got involved with NetSpend through PayPal as a way to load funds on to the card. I've been using the card for 10 years now and I like the protection that it gives me. I was able to use it for bills and online purchases. The only issue I’ve had is trying to rent a car with it. I had to contact NetSpend's customer service once and it went fine. They’re doing good and I’m happy with everything I get out of them.

Hello Clarence,

Thank you for being such a loyal customer!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I recently had my wallet stolen about a week ago (01/24) and my card is JUST NOW being shipped to me on 01/29! That means I won’t have a card for another week! I also deposited a check and although Wells Fargo successfully received and deposited it, the money was taken back to my NetSpend account, leaving me with a negative balance in the other. I tried to deposit another check, but I was told that since I was a minor, he wouldn’t be able to give me an a approval number even though I had been given one before. I currently have no access to my money and it’s extremely frustrating! And the fact that everything has to be solved with a phone call is frustrating as well! Would not recommend.

Hello Stevi,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your recent card order. We regret to hear that you are experiencing difficulty receiving your card order.

After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you in regards to your card concerns.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us directly.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was going through Wells Fargo who owes me a couple of grand. I couldn’t take out more than $300 a day and when my check came, my rent was due. So, I’d have to take out that extra $300 and they would charge me for it. It’s hard when you’re on a limited income as I am right at the moment, and having Netspend helps. However, I went and used it but it wouldn’t let me take all of what I wanted out. That was really discouraging to me because it states that I can take out as much as I make without going over and keeping within the $15 overcharge, and everything would be all right.

Hello Dale,

I regret to hear about the experience you had while attempting to use our Optional Overdraft Protection Plan.

Please note that Overdraft Protection Service may be available to help cover a transaction once you have exceeded your available balance. We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will authorize and pay any type of transactions. Paying one or more negative balance transactions does not guarantee any future ones will be paid.

We certainly apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused, however we are still wanting to assist you any way we can. We had a Netspend representative reach out to you today, via phone and email, for further assistance. Please feel free to respond directly to those messages - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I had a $15 NetSpend card, and in the process to activate the card. The Assistant on the phone required my address, full name, DOB, Social Security Number, a copy of my birth certificate, my ID, and identification for both of my biological parents. FOR $15!!! With all of that information my identity could be COMPLETELY stolen!!!! Do not use this service!!

Hello Sam,

I regret to hear about the experience you had while attempting to activate your Netspend card. My apologies for this inconvenience that you have experienced and I understand your reason for concerns, regarding ID Theft.

Please be assured, like other financial companies, we are required by our bank, as well as MasterCard and Visa associations, to be compliant with AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and BSA (Bank Secrecy Act) laws. Both laws require that all financial institutions verify the identity of each account holder.

However, if you wish to not activate the card, we still certainly would like to assist you with accessing your remaining funds. We have attempted to reach you today, via phone and email, for further assistance. Please feel free to respond directly to those messages or by emailing us, so that we may assist you further with obtaining your remaining funds. - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I can't move money or do any functions once I log into my account. It's been two days now. I've deleted & reinstalled. This is a major inconvenience. Is there maintenance going on or am I doing something wrong?

Hello Sherry,

We regret to hear that you are experiencing issues accessing and navigating your Netspend Online Account Center. With this, our apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced as we are sure you are not doing anything wrong.

Netspend is committed in providing high quality services that meet the needs of our customers. Rest assured that we are going to do our best to resolve this issue, for you.

We have attempted to reach you today, by phone and email, please feel free to respond directly to those messages. - Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have been going back and forth with Netspend customer service for 2 days in regards to a suspicious transaction that I approved. A block was placed on my card that was supposed to be released in 6 hrs. I spoke with one representative and they had the audacity to tell me in 7 business days I can get a new card or I can get a check with my money from my account in 10 business days. I said, "No that's **. Any block placed on a card can be removed and what am I supposed to do for me." He told me to borrow money and I flipped out.

Why should I borrow money when I have my own money. My own hard earned money that they are not allowing me access to. It is now way past 6 hrs and I still have no access to my money. I've called and called only to be continuously placed on hold for nobody to ever pick up the call. The only fraud being committed it by Netspend. It is illegal to not allow a verified authorized use to a account. All of my money, direct deposit and bills come through this account. They have even blocked my online access to my account. So I'm truly convinced they're running a scam. I'm seeking legal assistance at this time. Do not trust Netspend. Horrible customer service. They lie, leave you on hold and will even hang up on you. Once again DO NOT BANK WITH NETSPEND.

Hello Ashley,

We regret to hear about your experience with your Netspend card blocked, preventing you access to your funds. Also, for the experience with Netspend's Customer Support. With this, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Please be assured that we will continue to educate our staff to be me more careful, attentive and service oriented when handling our customer requests and inquiries. Our company is committed in providing high quality services that meet the needs of our customers and we would like to help rectify this issue, if in any way.

We have attempted to reach you by phone and email, please feel free to respond directly. - Thank you, Netspend.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Been a customer for years. Today I sat down to check my balance. I was unable to log in to my account. Unable to access my money. There reply is, "We will send you a check." Why was my card locked. Security reasons suspicious activities... What do you call suspicious...? Getting groceries and gas? NEVER USE THIS CARD. Tonight we won't eat because of you Netspend. Thanks.

Netspend response

Hello Melinda, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This company has a terrible customer service. For activating your card they would want you to send the copy of your SSN card. They said your card is activated, after going shopping, it gets declined. I called again, they said it was not completely activated. Again it was not! They charge you fee for lack of activity on the account, but they don't activate your card either! I received a card as gift, and eventually all was gone as fee. Hassle hassle. Avoid them.

Netspend response

Hello Mahtab, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

They closed my account and didn’t say a WORD. I had to call and they told me it was closed to protect me. Ok...So now they say wait 10 BUSINESS DAYS for a check and rent is due on the 1st in 2 days so I will have to get a payday loan because of how they do customers. I will NEVER EVER recommend them and I'm happy the FTC sued them for freezing people accounts.

Netspend response

Hello Brandon, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

The only reason I'm giving it one star because I had to leave something. I went to Liberty Tax to file my taxes and was approved for an $3000 refund loan. I decided to get the Netspend card because the money is put on the card within 24 hours. I was given an temporary card along with all my other tax papers and left the office. Like an idiot I placed my folder on the car while I looked for my keys in my purse. I got in the car without getting the folder off the car and twenty minutes later everything was gone. I went back to the office and was told that as long as the card is not activated, it can't be used and I would get my personalized one in 10 days. Once I received the card I activated and discovered that I had $218 on my account. Someone had used the card, therefore, I filed an dispute.

I was told that it would take 10 business days for the initial review and if I wanted an temporary credit I had to write a statement letter, which I did. This was on January 25, 2019. I was checking my account on January 29 and noticed it was locked so I called. The rep told me that corporate office closed my account for suspicious activity and was going to send me the remaining balance within 10 days. I was also told that the dispute is still ongoing and I would hear from them soon once the claim is closed. So I told the rep that, ”You're telling me that the claim is still ongoing, when in reality its really closed and will sent me a letter in saying that.” She is said basically yes and sorry for the inconvenience.

I never received any emails or texts about activity on my card. There was no red flags set by Netspend because they didn't care and have no intentions on replacing a lost in any capacity. I am a victim of Hurricane Michael. I lost my home was damaged, car destroyed and clothing destroyed and mildew. I had no homeowner insurance and Fema only provided limited temporary housing. I was looking forward to my tax money to start doing repairs to move back home and now I don't know what I'm going to do. I would never think that a corporation would be so full of greed at the suffering others.

Netspend response

Hello Robin, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Could not activate card with app, website, or automated call so I spoke with a customer service representative who told me they could not activate my card because my Social security number comes up deceased... Also since when do you give a social for a prepaid card. Do not use this company!

Netspend response

Hello Al, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I will never use Netspend services again. I opened my NetSpend account in Feb 2018 to have my taxes DD. I never had an issue with using the card or anything for that fact until recently. 2 weeks ago I was filing my taxes and decided to use the NetSpend account again. Before doing so I called the NetSpend customer service to verify the account was in good standing, which it was, and also to order a new a card. Let me add that I never disputed anything on this account, never reported a card stolen, nothing.

The account was only used for my Tax deposit and to move money from my PayPal. So 5 days after filing my taxes and verifying the account was good standing I log in to check the account and it is now locked. I call customer service who informs me the Compliance department has locked my account and they need proof of income for the deposits made into the account over the last 3 months. Well the problem is that the account hadn't been used at all in the past 5 months, so I looked at the last deposit date from Aug and sent the proof from my PayPal deposit. I was ensured that the compliance department would have this resolved within 6 hours. so for the next 7 days I called every day to see when it would be unlocked and today is day 8 and it is still locked.

Not only was I not given a reason that the account was locked, but also was told that I couldn't be given an expected date it would be unlocked. Ive spoken to supervisors and everything multiple times and nothing has been done. Now my tax return will be returned to the IRS and I'll have to figure out how to amend the taxes and refile with a different account. Dealing with Netspend has been a horrific experience and not one member of customer service or management has helped to resolve the issue and I'm told there is nothing they nor I can do about it. I would never trust using this company again.

Netspend response

Hello Samantha, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Re: 4491345. On 12 September 2018, I went to an ATM machine to get cash. My cash was not dispensed, nor was a receipt issued from the machine. The Dispute Analyst did not investigate this claim at all. After months had been wasted, Netspend tells me I need to take the matter up with vendor after they assured my money would be returned to me. They even recognized/acknowledged that this type of event occurs. They considered the matter closed because according to them the vendor provided some 'Normal Transaction' receipt, I consider fraudulent. The fact is my money was not dispensed from that ATM. I requested the balance sheet from the ATM. I requested video of the transaction from the machine, no answer to date. My money was STOLEN at the ATM. This is some sort of scam. The ATM machine was a METABANK machine owned/serviced by National ATM Service Line.

Netspend response

Hello Meka, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I've been using Netspend as a premium member for several years. Recently my overdraft cushion and protection shut off. I called and they told me it's not too expensive to allow customers to overdraft. From now on I can overdraw 12 times per year, after that even the $10 cushion goes away. I don't understand how when I pay $15 for the overdraft, put the money back within a few days, and pay the $5 membership fee that it's too expensive to allow any longer. Nowhere in any of my paperwork can I find mention of this 12 time a year limit. I plan to switch banks now because not only do I want my overdraft back but I'd like to use Samsung Pay, since my overdraft features I pay for are being denied I plan to just switch at tax time now.

Netspend response

Hello RJ, After review of your account, our records show that a member of our Customer Experience Team has reached out to you. If you have any additional questions or concerns feel free to contact us. Thank you, Netspend

Netspend Company Information