4.3/5 (189 ratings)

About Netspend

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

Pros

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

Cons

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Bottom Line

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I am satisfied with my order of a new card account. The only drawback was my account blocked. I would rather the bank had not paid the draft and notified me as I had no money. With this action I had to borrow money to live on. I do not use credit cards at all. I have encouraged family members to use debit cards as you provide a cash out to my phone and running balance.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

NetSpend is convenient to have. I just have my Social Security check put on my card and I get my check earlier. Plus, I don't have to go to the bank and have me hassled. It's a good idea and a lot of people should get it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

My experience has been awesome. I had a time when someone charged $1 to my account. They investigated and they realized it was fraud. Somebody had gone through my account and was stealing money multiple times. I told them that the last transaction I used on my card was at Wendy's with my family. They noticed that right after that, something for $1 was charged. Then after that dollar, the same people took 99.99, 89.99, then 49.99. They canceled my card on the spot.

Their anytime alerts work great. They let you know when you use your card. The other day, I sent my wife $1,000 so that we can pay our rent, and sent me a text message alert asking if it was me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

The customer service I received was excellent. I called because my card on my account didn't match the card I received through FedEx. Big problem...No....It was taken care of in no time at all and all is safe and secure. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Love my card. Would recommend for anyone to enjoy the Netspend card. Family and friends. Good to use with banking and check cashing or savings accounts. Don’t need anything else but Netspend for all my bills. I enjoy using my card at any time…

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

I had to change my card from another company and it was easy. Using the NetSpend card is also easy and I have no problems.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

I've been having Netspend for years. I like it. I enjoy their service.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Customer service has always been very nice on the phone & I'm very happy about the opt into overdraft..I like the rules for it & I think it's very fair & when you run out of money you can overdraft & NetSpend all access has been a big help with that &() you guys are great people to me & I appreciate you guys so much. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I have been trying to set up an employer account with Netspend/Skylight for more than two months now. They do not seem to be interested in my business at all. I feel like I have had to beg them to create the account and I keep asking (to no avail) for training on how to use the corporate portal. I am now planning on taking my business elsewhere. I do not know how they stay in business!!

Netspend response

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please send us an email to social@netspend.com. We will be happy to provide you with information to reach the correct department for Employer accounts.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I recently ordered something from Build-A-Bear on October 25th and canceled the order SO......it has been 7 days and my card still says pending. I have not received my money at all. I have done my best to be patient.

Netspend response

We're sorry to hear that. Our records show that an agent has already reached out to you regarding this transaction. Please send us an email to social@netspend.com if you need further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

I'm very happy with NetSpend. I have no problems. I will stay with them forever. I can grab money whenever I want. I could go and pay my bills whenever I want. I will go to the store and get whatever I want and I'm always happy my card is always working and that's been the best card I've ever had and I could buy stuff online.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

NetSpend is a good card to have. You can use it to pay bills and purchase items online. I would definitely recommend NetSpend to anyone. It's a good way to keep cash on your card, and not carrying cash. I truly enjoy using the NetSpend Card.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Tried to get ahold of you, was placed on a half-hour waiting list and hung up on. (SEVERAL TIMES) I’m Missing $100.00 and no way to find out what has happened to it. That was 2 months ago and still no reply… and no my card is not missing. I haven’t used it since the lost money incident. In addition, I have now moved and can’t find the original receipt. So now I’m truly out of the $100.00. I only put money on the card prior to specific internet purchases, so that is how I found out the money was missing, the card was refused for lack of funds.

The card was to insure that no one could get at my base account. I always refilled the card with cash so there would be no paper trail as would be with a direct transfer of funds. I am glad that I did so. Losing $100.00 was bad enough, not being able to get ahold of customer service was worse. But at least the your lack of security did not involve a paper trail access to my other accounts. I have been given no incentive for this review. In fact: I am out $100.00 as of this date. I tried to put 1 star but it came up three.

Netspend response

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Our records show that an agent has attempted to reach out to you. Please send us an email to social@netspend.com if you need further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Quick need to work on timelines of answering phones but everyone is polite and they are knowledgeable. The actual process is quick and zi fo appreciate receiving funds early. Do however have problems with the amount of direct deposit. At time VA will deposit back pay from a claim and it's difficult at times to track down one time it was sent back.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Glad all transaction have been verified and completed allowing me to compete and complete in online game. The purpose for the card primarily is to purchase needed items for one game. NetSpend maintaining payment on verifiable card allows these purchases easy and consistently.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

I got the original Netspend. It's the original cardholder agreement, which specifically states it's from AIG, and that it does not pertain to any prepaid product. I got the corresponding savings account number for MetaBank, but for some reason, I've never had an opportunity to connect that with the bank. I don't know what else I need to do. They don’t want to explain. It was never explained what would happen or how to do it, and how to go about it.

I've got about 15 cards from Netspend. Between them, Brink’s Pre-aid Money and card services, since the beginning of 2022, I've got absolutely none of them to work. I put a lot of time into it because I always felt like they were going to make it up to me at some point. I just got another card from them the day before yesterday, and it's a Netspend All Access. But I hadn't even tried to activate it. I'm so discouraged from trying to put any hope into getting it to work. It's embarrassing when you go somewhere and you think it's gonna work, but it doesn’t.

Netspend could have reached out and been considerate because they know my identity was compromised early in the year. I did everything that I thought was right. I contacted the FTC and I got a local police report with one arrest. I also got my first hardcopy of credit report from TransUnion, and I did let all three bureaus know about it. Netspend could have tried and explained to me. It's been disappointing. But I don’t just blame them, just MetaBank. They don't want to talk. When I try to call them, there are no numbers to reach out and talk to Support. When you call Netspend, they just tell you, “Well, you gotta add money. You gotta add money.” But I say, “No. I’m supposed to be adding a card that does not pertain to any prepaid product.” I've invested a lot of time on trial deposits, verifying accounts, doing it right, and still nothing.

Netspend response

Hi, please send us an email to social@netspend.com along with either the account or card number and your contact details. We will be happy to take a look.

Resolution response: Oct. 26, 2022

Within 5 days of leaving my 1 star review, James ** from Netspend corporate resolved the issue within 48 hours and went the extra mile of refunding my overdraft fees as well. I'm very satisfied and feel the situation has been completely rectified. Thank you James!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

Updated on 12/10/2022: The only way you get any real help is by leaving a Consumer Affairs review. Then someone from corporate will call. The dispute process is terrible and the customer service can't actually help. The system does everything and you get ran in circles. I had $500 taken from my account for a transaction that was pending for over a week and then dropped off. Somehow this transaction now says that it posted within the first few days of it pending.

I had an issue with a different dispute which caused my account to go negative and me to not receive my credit for 2 months. There were times I couldn't afford food because of this, it was a very large amount of money. I spoke with about 10 customer service reps during that timeframe and when I left a ConsumerAffairs review, a corporate rep called me within days and resolved the issue, getting my credit to me immediately. Turns out, the customer service filed my dispute incorrectly. This time around, I'm getting ran in circles and I'm out 500, ironically the same day I need to pay my rent.

Original Review: This company has no real Customer service, managers or dispute department. It's a 3rd party to a bank. Do not make large transactions with these cards. I have been ran in circles and told ill receive my money on multiple different dates. Everytime I ask for a manager, I'm put on hold for 30 mins and the CS reps just hang up. Protect your money people, this bank will not.

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out to you.

For additional questions or concerns, please email social@netspend.com.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

The customer service is very good. Netspend is one of the best things to get because you don't have to worry about unauthorized transaction. Your money is safe.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I've had no issues transferring funds. Netspend alerts me when something seems out of the category for me with my shopping habits. I've had a card replacement which went along just fine. They overnighted the new card out to me, and it's been fine.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Netspend is a lot cheaper using it at ATM than the Walmart card. It's also a lot easier to use. I use it for online shopping. When I go on trips, I use it to pay for souvenirs. I’ve had a lot of stores cards, and this is the best card I've ever had.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

They say you get paid two days quicker with Netspend and you really do. You can also monitor your funds. If they feel like it's a scam transaction going through your phone that you didn't authorize, they will notify you by email and tell you to call a certain number.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I love using Netspend because it is really convenient. I can get money off of my debit card and go load it at a local store that I have. It's easy to use. They have friendly service. I can get along with the agents that I speak with.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

Netspend is quick to solve their disputes and it’s a greater experience than a bank. It works.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

They said you're supposed to get your check up to two days early, but that's not true. I get it early every now and then, but not like they said when I had first got the card. Also, I had disputed a charge. They said it'll be between October and December before I hear anything. That's a long time. Nevertheless, I love Netspend.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I enjoy getting a little bit of my money a few days earlier than normal payday when I really need it. That's the reason I did NetSpend. I enjoy the time that I use it. I do a direct deposit of a certain amount of my check. Their customer service is very knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I am a victim of identity. I had noticed some things in my name that I haven't done. I wanted a resolution. My DOB, SSN, email address and phone number as well as bank information has been gotten. Law, attorneys and identity monitoring is now watching over my accounts and information. I don't have to file taxes personally but when I was claimed under my family someone else had filed in my name. Worked with their fraud and months later they were caught BY THE IRS THEMSELVES. PLEASE HELP AND GOD BLESS.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

I just received my new card yesterday 09-26-2022. My old one was closed due to two unauthorized purchases. What I would like to know is will those two transactions be refunded and put on my new card? It happened from a breach of Samsung. I notified your company the day after it happened online but haven't received any response so far. They happened on the 15th of September.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Someone tried to use my card and y'all caught it fast. Thank you for getting me another card within 2 days. Direct deposit are always there 3 days before. I been a customer for 5 years. Never had a problem.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

It helps me track everything what I spend. And helps me saving money. I love this card that I can add money on it and how to save it. And use it for an emergency when I need money to cashed out and use it everywhere.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

A great service provided, and really easy to use. Netspend has helped me with paying for online purchases, without the fear of being stolen from. I've only had positive experiences with using a Netspend card. Website was also easy to navigate. Overall I would 100% recommend!

Netspend Company Information