Perfect for everyday spending, the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card earns unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases. Cashback never expires and can be combined with other Chase Ultimate Rewards credit card rewards. Read more Chase credit cards reviews to learn about other Chase credit cards or submit your own.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card is great for everyday spending because it earns automatic cash back on every purchase. Plus, cardholders can maximize reward values through the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.
- No annual fee
- Free mobile app
- Unlimited, automatic cash back
- No bonus categories
Chase Freedom Unlimited review
Ideal for those who spend more than $10,000 per year and want a simple rewards program, the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card earns 1.5% flat-rate cash back on all purchases.
Cardholders can also take advantage of a 15-month 0% introductory APR period and popular Chase Freedom Unlimited perks, including paperless billing and access to the Chase Mobile app.
$150 signup bonus
1.5% cash back
$0 annual fee
Chase Freedom Unlimited benefits
Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders enjoy benefits like balance transfers, paperless billing, contactless payment and free weekly credit scores from Credit Journey, plus additional features like travel and emergency assistance services and purchase protection for added peace of mind.
- Low introductory APR: Both new purchases and balance transfers are eligible for the Chase Freedom Unlimited 0% APR period. Cardholders can use this time to pay off a larger purchase or pay down old debts without added interest. After the 15-month 0% introductory APR period, you pay a variable interest rate based on your creditworthiness and market prime rates.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Auto rental CDW provides secondary coverage for damage caused by theft or collision for most rental vehicles. Cardholders must complete the entire rental transaction using their Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card and decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision to ensure that Auto Rental CDW is in effect.
- Purchase protection: Chase Freedom Unlimited Purchase Protection replaces, repairs or reimburses you for eligible items bought with the card for up to $500 per claim ($50,000 per account). To submit a claim, you must provide a copy of your card receipt, a copy of the itemized store receipt, documentation if more than one payment was used and a copy of any reports relating to theft or damage (police or fire, for example). Many personal items are eligible, but plants, animals, antiques, medical equipment and computer software are some notable exclusions.
- Extended warranty protection: Eligible items paid for with a Chase Freedom Unlimited card are covered for an additional year beyond manufacturer’s warranty of three years or less for up to $10,000 per claim ($50,000 per account). To file a claim, you must provide copies of your card receipt, store receipt and original manufacturer's warranty or any other applicable warranty within 120 days of the item’s failure. Boats, cars, computer software, medical equipment and used or pre-owned items are not covered under the Chase Freedom Unlimited extended warranty protection.
- Trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance: Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders are reimbursed for non-refundable passenger fares up to $1,500. Under the trip cancellation and trip interruption policies, you’re covered for physical sickness or injury, organized strikes, severe weather and terrorist incidents for up to $6,000.
- Travel and emergency assistance services: Cardholders can take advantage of transportation assistance, medical and legal referral assistance, prescription assistance, emergency ticket replacement and more while traveling.
Chase Freedom Unlimited requirements
Chase Freedom Unlimited requirements are somewhat strict — most cardholders have excellent credit scores (750+). Your Chase Freedom Unlimited approval odds go down if your credit score is closer to 700, but you may still qualify if you have a small amount of debt relative to your income.
If approved, your Chase Freedom Unlimited credit limit will be at least $500. Credit limits are subject to change, but your current credit limit is posted on each monthly statement. Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders are responsible for fees or charges on certain types of transactions, like balance transfers and cash advance.
Chase Freedom Unlimited fees
Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders don’t have to pay an annual fee, but they are responsible for fees or charges on certain types of transactions, like balance transfers and cash advances.
- Transaction fees: Purchases that must be converted to or from U.S. dollars are subject to a Chase Freedom Unlimited foreign transaction fee of 3%. A Chase Freedom Unlimited cash advance fee of 5% ($10 minimum) is charged per transaction when you borrow money against your credit limit. A Chase Freedom Unlimited balance transfer fee 3% per transaction ($5 minimum) is charged when old debts are transferred to Chase account during 0% intro APR period.
- Penalty fees: There aren’t over-the-credit-limit or return check fees associated with Chase Freedom Unlimited, but if minimum payments are not paid within 30 days of billing, a Chase Freedom Unlimited late fee of up to $39 will be charged. Return payment fees of up to $39 can also be charged if a payment is returned.
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
|Cash advance fee||5% ($10 minimum)|
|Balance transfer fee||3% ($5 minimum)|
|Late fee||Up to $39|
|Authorized user fee||$0|
Chase Freedom Unlimited FAQ
- How does a Chase Freedom Unlimited referral work?
- Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders get a $100 bonus for referring a friend to the card. Refer up to five friends per year for a total of $500 in referral bonuses. Referrals must be approved to receive the cash back bonus.
- What is the Chase Freedom Unlimited minimum payment?
- Chase Freedom Unlimited minimum payments are either $25 or a percent of your balance with periodic interest, plus late fees as described in the rates and terms — whichever amount is greater. Minimum payments are due at least 21 days after the close of each billing cycle. Cardholders can avoid paying interest by paying your balance in full each month.
- Is Chase Freedom Unlimited a good first card?
- If you can get approved, Chase Freedom Unlimited is a great starter card because you don’t have to worry about opting in rotating categories by a deadline as you do with other cards — you simply earn a 1.5% back on all purchases. Even if you only spend $10,000 on the card per year, you can earn hundreds of dollars in cash back rewards. There’s no annual fee, and the card comes with free weekly credit score updates. Plus, it introduces you to the Chase Ultimate Rewards program.
Do we recommend Chase Freedom Unlimited?
Chase Freedom Unlimited is ideal for someone who either doesn’t want to keep up with rotating categories or already has another card in the Chase Ultimate Rewards program. Since Chase Freedom Unlimited earns unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, you can get the most of this card by combining it with one of Chase’s rotating bonus category credit cards, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
I've worked very hard to rebuild my credit over the past 6 years. I have really taken the time to understand credit and how it works. I recently applied for a Chase Freedom Unlimited card and was approved. I'm so happy Chase has given me the opportunity to show my credit worthiness. I picture this being just the beginning to a long relationship with JPMorgan Chase and their products and services. I'm going for that 800 credit score and Chase is helping me get closer to that goal. Thanks so much and I look forward to future of doing business with this lender. Art.
Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card Company Information
- Company Name:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card