1.45/5
Based on 40 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

55 Aquafresh Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 5, 2013

I start using Aquafresh 6 months ago, at first was ok, but later I started to have burning mouth. I could not drink or eat properly. At first were some sore white spots, then my lips started to swell. I went to my doctor that told me it might be some virus and gave me some pills but no use, I still had the same problems. Not for a moment I think that the toothpaste could be the problem! And when I was feeling burning mouth I just keep washing my teeth longer, very often... it was a hell. Later when my toothpaste finished I bought the same brand!!! I was thinking on having horrible disease or something since the sore was permanent. Then I went to another doctor that put me into some tests and finally got the result that the toothpaste was the problem. I really want to sue the company since my life was a complete hell because of it!

Original review: July 17, 2013

Aquafresh Extreme Clean should be banned. I started using this toothpaste and about 1-2 weeks later noticed blisters in my inner bottom lip. I thought maybe I was run down. I've never had a cold sore or blisters like this ever. As I use this toothpaste when at work away from home during the week, and a different one at weekend, I started to notice I felt a bit better during weekend.

I now have blisters on upper inner lip as well as bottom. They are painful and feel like chemical burns. There are so many now on the bottom lip and I have finally realized it is this blimin toothpaste. Really. It should be banned. My mouth is very painful and it is hard to believe that people put an ingredient like SLS in something which goes in your mouth. Or its my fault for not reading any and all literature before using a toothpaste. Dreadful stuff.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 26, 2013

I have used Aquafresh Extreme Clean intermittently for a few years, and have liked it very much. I am a dental hygienist and have also recommended it to my patients. I recently purchased the Micro-Active Foaming Action and Whitening version, in Fresh Mint. After a few days of use, I thought I was developing a painful canker sore just inside my lower lip. Over the next few days, my lower lip became more and more irritated and started to become swollen. That's when it finally occurred to me that it could be the new Aquafresh. I searched around online and, sure enough, I find many other people with the same issue. Was this product not tested before it was released? Now I am hesitant to purchase Aquafresh of any version or recommend it to my patients. Is there any way to address this with GlaxoSmithKline?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2012

I started using this variety of Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste 2 days ago after having no problems with a previous brand of Aquafresh. I started experiencing painful sores around my gums and also ear pain and jaw achiness. I was wondering if I was having a tooth problem or other more serious problem. However, I suddenly realized that I experienced a similar effect before when using Colgate Total Protection toothpaste, which has Triclosan in it (and which cleared up after I stopped using it for a few days). I just discontinued the Aquafresh and the pain has diminished somewhat. I'm hoping it clears up completely soon. How can toothpaste be allowed to cause this kind of pain? It is shocking and disturbing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2012

I have occasionally used Aquafresh briefly and experienced only burning on my lips. This time I used it for ten days, resulting in a sore on my lip and the whole lip swollen and painful. Since changing toothpaste, the lip is healing and less painful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aquafresh Toothpaste?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2011

I got large burns on my tongue. It is very painful. I am unable to eat, or drink. I had to reschedule dental work, I was to have done.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2011

I had painful ulcers appeared throughout my mouth along the gum line - top and bottom. My gums were red, swollen and throbbing for days. It was so bad that I thought it could be gingivitis and brushed again, but it only got worse. My dentist was shocked that the chemical burns were so bad.

I had to wait a week before I could go near my gums with a toothbrush, and a fortnight before the sores healed completely. Avoid Iso-Active Citrus Foam Toothpaste.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

Great site by the way.

I was doing routine shopping as usual and thought I'd try a new toothpaste. Aquafresh Ultimate White was my choice along with a few other brands.

The whole left side of my mouth was burning and I felt like I had a toothache as well. The pain was so bad it gave me a headache and I hardly got any sleep for the past 3 days. I had no idea that the problem could be the toothpaste until I found this site. At first I'm skeptical, but I had nothing to lose with the pain I was in.

So I started using another brand of toothpaste and instantly, the pain starts to fade! The headache - gone! I would not wish this type of pain on my worst enemy. I mean the cops could use this type of stuff for interrogating criminals. Aquafresh seriously needs to fix this problem or change their name to "Aquaburningflesh".

Original review: Sept. 25, 2011

I used Aqua Fresh Extreme toothpaste less than two weeks and my lips were burned right away and are now discolored. I'm embarrassed to go without lipstick, in fact, I had to buy lipstick just to cover my burned lips.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2011

I bought Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste and used it for a week or two. It burned my lips, tongue, and all the skin in my mouth.

It took a few days to realize that it was the result of my new toothpaste. It is taking forever to completely heal.

I don't know if I will end up having to see a doctor. I keep putting vaseline on my mouth. It is now down to the end of my tongue. My inner lips are still burning and scoring. The healing is very slow.

Original review: July 13, 2011

I decided to purchase Aquafresh Iso Whitening Deep Penetrating toothpaste over my Sensodyne Iso whitening because it was 3.00 cheaper. Big mistake. I have been using it for 3 weeks now. My gums are sore and now my gums are turning white around the tooth area. I am also noticing some white spots on my gums. It is an obvious result of this toothpaste. They need to stop manufacturing and selling this product till they can address these issues.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2011

I began using the Aquafresh Iso-Active Toothpaste about two months ago. Initially, I was thrilled with the results, the foaming cleaning, etc. Soon after, I began to wake up with the driest mouth I have ever experienced, constant sore throats and the worst canker sores. I finally did a research and realized that that crappy toothpaste has claimed numerous victims. Beware of Aquafresh Iso-Active!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2010

Aquafresh Toothpaste needs to be taken off the market. I have used this product for years and never had a problem. Since using the product recently, my lips have begun to feel burned, to the point of a scalded feeling. Sores have formed on my lips, as well. They are swollen and very painful. I have two appoinments due to this toothpaste. One appointment was with the dentist and then finally an appointment with a physician.

I suspected Aquafresh was the culprit, but was just not sure. I went on steroids and my symptoms cleared up. Later, I forgot about the Aquafresh and started using it again. Bang - all the terrible symptoms occurred again! Also, my mother had the same reaction. When I googled this product, all these same symptoms were found on the Internet. Yes, there is a problem with this product. This company should be ashamed to manufacture such an unsafe product!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2010

I used Aquafresh ISO for about 3 months and my teeth and gums became so sensitive to anything warm or cold. It was actually painful. I switched back to my normal toothpaste and everything is fine. It took about a week for the problems to go away.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

I have used Aquafresh sensitive for a number of years now and have loved it. I have not had any problems until the latest tube that I bought. I opened it and used it only for a few days when the burning and sores started. I was having trouble eating anything acidic like tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, sodas, salad dressings, etc. So, I stopped using that toothpaste and switched to another brand until my mouth healed. Then, I went and bought another tube of Aquafresh sensitive and do not seem to be having any trouble with it at all. Curious still, I had to try the tube which gave me so much trouble to begin with. Yes, it still makes my mouth and lips really sore. I can only figure that there must have been a bad batch. My tongue and lips are burning, cracking, and have small sores. I could not eat very well for a couple of weeks.

Original review: July 10, 2010

I want to know how much air do they put in each tube? I feel 50% air in each Aquafresh toothpaste.

Original review: April 19, 2010

I changed my toothpaste to Aquafresh iso-active whitening. At first I thought the product was good. Made my mouth feel fresh and clean, then my lips began to dry out and crack, inside my lips began to peel, my gums have receded a lot and feel like they are on fire. I cannot smile as my gums are horrible now and this all happened over two weeks.

Original review: April 13, 2010

I developed mouth sores, dry mouth, burned lips and a very sore throat while using this product (Aquafresh Iso-Active). My wife and teenage son also had these symptoms until we stopped using it. All these symptoms returned when a second tube was used. We thought it was a virus. My doctor said it could be the air conditioner causing the throat irritation. No, it was the toothpaste.

Original review: April 7, 2010

Aquafresh Iso-Active toothpaste has caused severe canker sore type lesions in my mouth, as well as dry lips! Do not use!

Original review: April 3, 2010

After a number uses of Aquafresh toothpaste my lips started hurting and blisters broke out all over my lips. I couldn't use my usual lip balm, drink any hot liquids or eat any spicy foods. I finally figured out that the toothpaste was causing the trouble. It has been a week now and I still can only use Vaseline on my lips all the time to try to soothe them. I threw 3 tubes of Aquafresh in the trash and I am warning all family members to never try this toothpaste. I have never had trouble with lip blisters or cold sores before using this toothpaste. My only hope is that the blisters stop breaking out and that this product is taken off the market. In my life, I have used many different brands and never had this happen.

Original review: March 24, 2010

At first, I really liked the product. I liked how it foamed using just a small amount. I also liked how clean my mouth and teeth felt after use. After using for just a couple of weeks, however, my lips became so sore and chapped that I discontinued use. Now, two weeks later, my lips are still in constant pain and the sides of my mouth are chapped. The only thing I can tolerate on my lips is Vaseline -- any lip balm is equally itchy, burning, and irritating. Eating spicy or hot food is out of the question. I thought that the problem would have cleared up after two weeks of discontinued use but it's not a bit better! I hate to go to the doctor just for my lips but will be forced to if the condition doesn't improve soon.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2010

Yes, Aquafresh Iso-Active cause problems. I have sudden dry mouth after I woke up and can see my tongue looks ugly, especially feel funny after I ate banana and still bother me for a week after using it. I can see in my tongue some white area. Dry mouth never happened to me for many, many years! Give me your phone number and I'll explain more and clear over the phone.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2009

Using Aquafresh Iso-active tooth gel for a few weeks and suddenly, both me and my husband noticed that our lips were feeling dry and cracking. I noticed that over the next few days I had small painful blisters on the inside of my mouth/lips. We both have discontinued use of the toothpaste and slowly healing, but this toothpaste is very harsh and causing extreme inflammation and almost a chemical burn to mouth. Not a safe product

Original review: July 2, 2009

My experience is very similar to the above. After only a day of using Aquafresh Tartar Control Whitening, my gums became swollen. I stopped using it after I felt a burning sensation as soon as the toothpaste hit my mouth. My tongue (above, below, sides), inside of cheeks, gums, salivary ducts - all of my mouth - had canker sore looking inflammation that hurt and burnt like hell. I could not eat, could not drink well. I went to a doctor thinking it might be oral cancer, but was told it wasn't. He said it was an airborne virus. I believed it because my mother had the same experience and I thought we had both contracted it.

After a few months, I used the toothpaste again and immediately felt the same burning sensation in my oral cavity. It was the toothpaste! I could not gargle with anything because it burnt so bad. Later on, after about 2 weeks, I was able to tolerate it. It lasted for about a month or so. Now, I am looking for avenues to get the word out there and to seek any advice on how to go about my complaint formally.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2008

Bought Aquafresh Extreme Clean Empowermint Plus Whitening toothpaste. After using it for about 5 days, my lips and the skin around the outside of my mouth broke out in blisters. This lasted for over two months. Very painful, my lips cracked and bled, plus the surrounding area cracked and bled.

Aquafresh Toothpaste Company Information

www.aquafresh.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.