3.73/5

56 Aquafresh Toothpaste Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Thank you to those who posted reviews regarding mouth irritation. I've been using Aquafresh for about two weeks and in the past two days I started experiencing very dry, cracking lips. I also have sores on my gums. I've been trying to figure out what I've been eating to cause this problem. Nothing new is in my diet. This morning while I was brushing my teeth, I felt my throat start to itch. In fact, my throat started itching while brushing my teeth the past three days. What I realized this morning is that it must be Aquafresh. I'll stop using the product and hopefully of these strange symptoms will go away. Beware if you use this product!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

About 7 years ago I had purchased this toothpaste and it took several weeks to realize that I had been having mouth pain a lot, but this was different from just a random canker sore. This was all over my mouth, I have never had this occur before. It started out almost as if I bit a tastebud (you know that swollen feeling?) then they started to pop up all around the side of my tongue where my teeth meet the tongue. Then I started to get what felt like canker sores all over my cheeks. Something was extremely wrong. So I first looked at what have I been eating or what changed about my oral care. It was this damn toothpaste!

So fast forward to last night, I don't always remember those things clearly. I house/dog sitting for my sister and I forgot my toothpaste. And what she has in her bathroom is Aquafresh extreme clean. I remembered that I had some sort of issue with it a long time ago but wasn't sure on the details. I figured it happened so long ago that they must have changed formulas since then. So I decided to give it a shot and brushed my teeth with my electric toothbrush which has a 2 min timer. This time I felt like my mouth was clean and just to minimize the chances of getting whatever reaction I had I used my water pic to really get rid of all traces of the toothpaste, just as a safety measure.

Well I must not have cleaned enough or I must have forgotten my tongue, because this morning as I woke my tongue felt weird. I went to the mirror and l stuck out my tongue to see if I was being crazy or if I could see what was visibly wrong with my tongue. And it ALL came flooding back in an instant. Why I stopped using it. Because rather than starting out slowly in terms of reaction as it had before, all around the outer edge of my tongue are all of these swollen tastebuds, which sucks to begin with. But it gets worse. I even have quite a few ulcers on it too!! I can't taste and my sister went shopping stocking the house with my favorite things to eat! Half of which are fruits and tomatoes which are going to burn and I can't even taste and enjoy all the rest of it! How can they still be allowed to sell this toxic garbage?? Why hasn't anyone put a stop to it???

Original review: July 21, 2016

I am a registered dental hygienist, and have been in active practice for 35 years. I have NEVER experienced such a horrible product, and thank goodness I have never had a patient present with the extreme side effects from use of this toothpaste as I have experienced ALL of the PAPILLAE of the tongue were not only very red and inflamed, but fissures started forming on the top surface of my tongue. Anything with salt in it was incredibly painful to tolerate. The tip of the tongue is still numb. I have lost 5 lb in the past week. I have no appetite. My sense of taste has been radically altered. All of my teeth and gumline areas just ACHE.

How such a product can be on the market amazes me. I did call the company yesterday. 20 min for them to document to submit to their special dept for this. I doubt I will ever hear from anyone again. Whoever is reading this... please do not use this product and if you are using this product, immediately discontinue its use. It will take, most likely, a little time to get back to how you were before you purchased this product. I'm off to buy Sensodyne with no whitening properties added. Thank you!

Original review: April 11, 2016

I called and complained that 2 tubes of Aquafresh extreme split open on the first squeeze of the tubes. Was told I would receive a self addressed and stamped box to return empty tubes. That was in January or February - never received anything. I used Aquafresh for years. With the attention that was given to my complaint (NONE) I have since switched toothpaste!!! Maybe you should take care of your customers a little better cause you lost me so pay attention when a complaint is filed!

Original review: March 2, 2016

I started using Aquafresh Complete a few weeks ago. The package looked great and everything I was looking for. I noticed upon using that it foamed up more than any other toothpaste I had ever used and I thought that was a good thing and looked forward to whiter, cleaner teeth. However, I experienced negative side effects within a week. The driest lips I had ever had and even with ChapStick they would not get better. They were bleeding and people at work were commenting. They were also itchy. I did not know what was wrong and contributed it to maybe a slight cold/infection or allergies that I had.

I tried to think of anything different I had started doing which prompted me to look up the toothpaste. It was amazing all of the bad reviews I was reading with same exact symptoms as mine. I immediately stopped the toothpaste and all symptoms have gone away. Thank you everyone who posted reviews on this product to help me with my symptoms... I can only hope that my review helps others, as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aquafresh Toothpaste?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

Well after three trips to my ENT doctor, one trip to my Dentist, and a trip to my Oral surgeon and one pending. My visits were for a sore and irritated inside left cheek with pain and numbness and irritated mouth. The Doctors don't seem to know what is causing this painfully problem. I was given a steroid paste to put on the area and was told not to eat anything spicy or use anything that has alcohol in it. While using the past I didn't brush my teeth and the sore and irritation seem to subside so I started brushing my teeth again and it all came back irritation at all. Then it dawned on me could it be the toothpaste I have am using. So I did some online research and Lord and behold there it was all the reviews and complaints that are similar to my problem.

I was shocked Now. I know why Bjs took the Aquafresh toothpaste off the shelf. I tossed all that toothpaste out along with my tooth brushes. Now I am waiting for this to go away. It has subsided since I stopped using this product but not completely gone yet. It has only been a couple of days. This product should be banned and all of should be compensated for the pain and suffering we been thru. Why is this product still on the market? Thank you for hearing me out.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I wanted to share this with everyone. For many, many years I have used this product and absolutely loved it. 8 days ago I purchased a new tube. I noticed they changed it up a little bit but it still had the same taste. Day two of using it I started having a somewhat dry mouth. Day two and three it seemed like I had a whole bag of salt in my mouth. The inside of my mouth and lips were dry, and rough to touch. My tongue felt numb. I had no idea at this time what the heck was going on with me! Day four through 7 in addition to my symptoms, my teeth started hurting in the gum line and in the roots of some. It took until day seven to realize the only thing I did different was change toothpaste tubes out. So that day I switched brands all together.

I am on day three of the different toothpaste and still have had no change in symptoms. I googled just out of curiosity "Aquafresh extreme clean whitening action" and lo and behold the ratings were very poor. They were all experiencing all of the same symptoms! How is this stuff on the market still? Most people said it took a whole week to go back to normal!! Currently I have no taste and it is difficult to talk for very long due to the excessive dry mouth, numb tongue, sore teeth and gums, rough gum line! Sorry for the long post but I wanted to warn folks before they buy this product! I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone but if it does maybe you can pinpoint it earlier than I did. :)

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

I normally use natural toothpaste, but ran out of my brand. There was a tester of Aquafresh in the medicine cabinet, so I used that for about 5 days. After using this product for that period, the skin inside my mouth started to feel rough, and I began to develop irritation and canker sores. It also diminished my sense of taste. I stopped using the product and after a week the roughness went away, but my mouth is very sensitive, and I still can't tolerate any minty, cinnamon-y, or spicy foods. I have a very sour taste in my mouth, and my tongue is still red from irritation. This product should come with a very strong warning label, and I should have stuck to natural products.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I've been using the Aquafresh original for a decade. I loved the texture, the fresh cleanliness I felt after brushing my teeth until they stopped producing it for no reason. Since then I've tried to switch to other flavor of Aquafresh toothpaste but I have experienced lots of issues with them, either they peel the insides of my cheeks or gums or make my tongue swell or cut the corners of my mouth. I've also experienced dry bruised feeling around my lips. I've tried ultimate white, mint, and all the other flavors, I think I'm allergic to all of them and so is my husband. I'm considering to stop using this brand and switching to another. I'm very disappointed that they have removed the original from the market, it was the only one I would have paid a fortune just to continue using it again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2015

I am staying in San Diego, Ca. on vacation. We ran out of toothpaste and my wife was reading in our room of how the hotel will provide travel products free of charge for the asking so we called and they brought us a tube of Aquafresh extreme clean. Within a matter of hours my lower lip became numb and swollen at dinner. As we thought about it the only thing I did different was use the Aquafresh. It is now 5:34 am the numbness and swelling has spread to my upper lip, my throat is raw and I have difficulty swallowing. At this point I am assuming it's the Aquafresh extreme clean. My wife and daughter also used the toothpaste and they have no reaction.

Aquafresh Toothpaste Company Information