1.15/5
Based on 428 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Global Tel*Link

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 23, 2017

497 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: July 15, 2015

I've been trying to put money on my account. I tried just putting 25$ but said my payment was not approved. So I called customer service. The first time I called the gentleman was very nice and helpful. He was able to put money on my account. So when the funds went low since their rates went up, I tried using the automated service thinking it would work. Sadly it didn't. My card was not approved when I had more than enough in my bank account.

I called customer service again but this time the guy was so rude he talked like he was in a hurry and I explained to him what was going on. All he said "maybe you should put money in your account". I took a breathe and told him "my bank account has money". Again he had to be a smartass and say "well maybe you should call your bank", which I told him "I did. And everything was fine with my account." Then he just got mad and said "well then use Western Union or get another card" and just hangs up. It's been 2 days that I've been trying and nothing. I even went to get a new debit card and still didn't work!! All I want to do is talk to my husband and go over his case!! I don't know what's going on but customer service is helpless and have no people skills and apparently brains.

Original review: July 15, 2015

I have experienced many dropped calls with Global Tel. I've complained only to be told it's my cell provider. I have told them that my carrier never drops calls. These calls are expensive and you can only talk 15 min. Bad experiences!!

Original review: July 14, 2015

I have read so many complaints on the internet (this site and others) about this company and their underhanded business practices. I fought them for a long time and they finally released the block on my phone after I spent a couple of weeks fighting with them and screaming to whomever would listen. I filed a complaint with the FCC, I filed a complaint with the State Telecommunications authorities. I filed a complaint or two with the Better Business Bureau. I e-mailed congressmen/women and senators. I posted unhappy reviews of this company. And, when that didn't work, I started all over again making the rounds. I think the only reason they released the block on my phone was because they saw I was NOT going away, and I even told them I was NOT going away. I told them I would keep screaming until something was done or SOMEONE listened to me.

Even though I was able to get the block off of my home telephone (which they have absolutely NO right to interfere with; I had collect call service billed to my home phone for more than 14 years with no problem until they just decided to take it away and block access from my home phone); even though I got my access back I am still HOPPING MAD at how they treat people (families who find themselves in unfortunate situations). And I am still HOPPING MAD about how they GET AWAY scot-free with it. I agree wholeheartedly with what some of you have said about until people/family members band together and fight this, complaining loud enough and hard enough to their local politicians and the FCC and their state utility commission these crooks are going to get away with what they are doing. They count on it being TOO MUCH TROUBLE for the family members.

Pick up your phones, contact your congressmen/women and senators, file complaints, BAND TOGETHER and get on your computer and fight them!! There is strength in numbers. I recently was contacted and told that there were over 2200 viewings of my initial complaint posting here on this site. Of that 2200, 51 of you took the time to say you found my review helpful. If enough of you stand together (and I would be willing to stand with you), we could fight this company and maybe bring some media attention to the fray. Fifty-one might not sound like a lot, but it sure is better than ONE or TWO.

Even if we are spread far apart, our voices can be heard. That's 51 people all screaming about GTL. Wherever there are some of us together in an area, maybe we could boycott GTL and get a media attention spotlight on this issue, or band together and start a "Go Fund Me" to legally fight GTL. There's lots and lots of connections on Facebook and other social media. There is also power to be found on the internet... power to fight unscrupulous companies. We will NEVER get anywhere by just posting one or two complaints and then giving up. That's what they are counting on.

Original review: July 11, 2015

My son is incarcerated at Blackwater River Correctional at Milton, FL. He has already tried to call 6 times this morning! The recording is supposed to come on where you can press 0. But since last fall, the recording doesn't come on half the time. Last week, he called home 15 times in one day and never did get through! On his end, it says we don't answer and we do! We live in Tennessee and he's in Florida. We are older and my husband is disabled and we can only go see him once a yr. When you write him, it takes 8 or 9 days for the letters to get back and forth. When you call to complain, they say they will reset the account. That's what everyone says! Resetting the account does not help! Do you hear me! This is a ripoff!

Original review: June 29, 2015

I attempted to place $50 on my account. The automated system denied my transaction. Then I attempted to place $25 on the account and received the SAME message. Confused because I had funds available I checked my online banking which confirmed what I already knew. I called GTL to explain what happened and was told the $50 was declined due to insufficient funds but the $25 had been approved. I asked how that was possible when I had more than enough funds.

I put the representative on a three way call with my financial institution who explained there was no way possible for the error to be at their end because the funds are available and taken out immediately once the vendor processes the transaction. When the service representative wouldn't reimburse me I asked to speak with a manager only to receive the same results. I asked to speak with somebody who was above the manager and was told there is nobody above her. She gave me an address to mail my complaint to. This is ridiculous! The monies they deduct from my account is inconsistent and if I don't keep track of the balance they won't fix the mistake. I so cannot wait until my husband comes home!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: June 29, 2015

I am going to contact an attorney and get this on local news. I have been trying to get a refund for over 2 years. All the complaints, I think we have a good chance to win.

Original review: June 26, 2015

Ok, so here is my nightmare. For about three days now I have been trying to set up an account with them so my friend could call me. I live in Germany, he's in the US. Unfortunately you are forced to go with GTL and OffenderConnect. First of all I was not even able to add his institution, it simply wasn't on the list. Called customer service. Worst answer - "that's because you are calling from Germany". What has that to do with the list of institutions? Now that I have the institution I find out you can't simply swipe your credit card. No, when you are from abroad you need to email them and the inquiry continues. So now that this is sorted they tell me, I am not allowed to use a US number as I am outside the US according to my billing address and therefore can only use the more expensive German landline service. Actually inquiring about the US number got me blocked!

So I call customer service again, and in the beginning I am literally farting rainbows to get where I wanna be. I explain the whole drama again and I kindly ask the woman on the phone (Robin) if they do not allow the US number being forwarded (which I halfway understand) if there is any chance I can use a service like Voip or Skype with a US number just to keep the freaking costs low. All she tells me is that my request was denied. Not even trying to interact with me. So is it denied for all US numbers? Am I banned? I asked her what the TOS was for denying someone a US number while outside the US. I actually have a T-Mobile number from when I lived in Florida which works in Germany (it's about 3$/minute but it works). Now what?

She tells me again my request was denied. When asking her what the reason was and about the TOS again she repeats herself. If I can have the TOS emailed to me? No, you need to request them. And then she keeps saying "Is there anything else I can help you with?" - ELSE? You didn't even fix my first problem. I tell her that her non-existing customer service sucks and she's just like "We'll, send an email!" and you clearly know she doesn't care at all. She just ends the call.

So now I don't know if I'll ever get my phone account or not, if I'll have to pay them for the freaking expensive German landline or if I should just continue sending letters and forget about the idea talking to my friend at night. I'm about 8000 miles away in Germany and have no clue and nobody to turn to for some real help. As help was clearly not provided at all here. YOU ARE FORCED TO BUY THEIR ** EXPENSIVE "SERVICES" AND THEN THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. GTL IS A COMPANY THAT PUNISHES THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF INMATES. If anyone has any advice for me, I would be thankful.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I called the automated to put the minimum amount of $25 on the account but it would not accept so I waited for customer service to pay. I finally got someone and when he ask for the name on the phone account it is in my mother's name and she is deceased but I am the owner. I tried to stay calm and tried to explained this to him but he was very rude telling me that I need my mother to call back. "Well that is IMPOSSIBLE" I told him, but oh no he kept being very rude to me.

He sounded like he was trying to acted like a thug, not caring that I have someone I have to talk to. Just because I don't have all the money in the does not mean I have to be treated like dirt. They need new people and way better training then they are already getting because they have terrible customer service and should not be allowed to do this!!

Original review: June 23, 2015

Hello All, my name is ** and I has the absolute worst experience with GTL phone services. I have been utilizing their services for over a year now and I have never set up automatic payment arrangements. When I called their number to resolve this issue, I got nothing but nasty, rude, and abrasive tone from each representative that I spoke with. The young lady ** was the worst, she could care less about the fact that the payment through my account in the negative and when I ask for a one time courtesy to refund the money back both reps pretended it was nothing that they could do. And when I asked to speak to her boss she told me she had to put a ticket in for it and stated no one was going to call me back anyway and hung up the phone. Total lack of compassion and lack of professionalism with their staff. Horrible experience to know that this company treats their customers this way.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I set up an account through GTL network website so I could receive calls from a friend who was in prison. Every time they called the recording said the same thing it would say BEFORE I opened a GTL account. I never got one call that went through. Then to top it off, I called GTL for a refund. They said my money somehow went to DSI (whoever the heck they are and even though I used GTL connect network website), and that I would need to contact them (DSI). When I did, they told me they would refund my money. This was in April when I called for the refund. I set the account up in February and I still am waiting for my check. I called back a few weeks after asking for refund and they said it takes 30 business days to process. I'm calling back today. Good luck. I will be submitting them a claim about this.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I put $100.00 on my phone account and even though I got confirmation number it was, well so many excuses it got to be almost comical. It has now been 6 weeks to the day and they still can't find me my money. I don't know what to do anymore. This is the most inept, incompetent bunch of obnoxious people in one company I've ever seen. If you want to talk to your loved ones this is our only choice. Someone needs to change this and NOW! Thoroughly disgusted in Washington is an understatement!

Original review: June 11, 2015

My son's in Lorain Correctional Institute. He's been trying to call me for days. The automated ask me my name and then I get disconnected. Haven't been able to talk to him. You guys need to fix this problem. I call the phone company and I get excuses. Now supposedly they put a work order out but that will take 5 business days.

Original review: June 9, 2015

I pay for collect calls so my granddaughter can speak to her father in county jail. There is a charge to put money on the account. Then they move him and are not allowed to notify either one of us so that he may use the remainder of the money on the account. I asked them to transfer the remaining money to state collect calls and they tell me they cannot do that. I ask for a refund and now they want to charge me again to give me my money back. I am unemployed and have medical issues. I'm not eligible for assistance so I'm on a very tight budget living off of my savings. I have custody of my granddaughter and get very little help for her with no help from her mother. I think it's insane that I have to pay a fee to get a refund when I have to pay a fee to use this company. Don't they realize that the people paying are not the ones that should be getting punished by fees?

We are already struggling with getting help for our children when they are incarcerated and when they come home. Why does Global Tel*Link rip us off when they make plenty of money on collect calls as it is? I wish they could be more considerate to the children and parents that are suffering as it is just trying to keep in touch with loved ones that may or may not commit suicide or take their frustrations out on other inmates because they cannot afford to make a call. These phone calls save lives but why must US PAYING CUSTOMERS BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF WITH THESE OUTRAGEOUS FEES?

Original review: June 4, 2015

My fiance is currently in Dan River correctional and have had to deal with this awful co. for 4 months now. Dropped calls and saying insufficient funds when I have $ on the account. Customer service is very rude and hung up on me 2 times when I called to complain. This company needs to be regulated. I would like to look into suing them. They apparently rip everyone off with no other option. I detest this company.

Original review: May 27, 2015

This company is stealing from people! We're getting ripped off because we want to speak to our loved ones. It's ridiculous and inhuman and the jails are in on it!

Original review: May 23, 2015

I set up an account for my brother to call me. His time to call is very limited. In January I put the minimum amount of funds required. He has called me a few times. On May 21st there was a 25.00 balance. GTL withdrew the money claiming it is now expired. They are thieves and should be in jail next to the prisoners who phone service they claim to assist.

Original review: May 23, 2015

They have been ripping me off for months! Lying about who's charging the extra fees taken off my account, blames the phones in jail/prison for the dropped calls, refuses to do anything about or refund calls, and a lot more! If anybody files a lawsuit, pls contact me **. I've spent maybe 2000 dollars in the past 7 months, complained numerous times and nothing has been done. I'm thinking of calling around Monday and trying to find a lawyer or somebody to help with their scam they're running on us. Email ** if you are interested in trying to sue their ass. I know something is terribly wrong and they are getting back off lying and refusing to refund our calls. I'm pissed off. If there is anyone else that has filed or looked into this, please contact me.

Original review: May 18, 2015

As much money they charge customers, they always have technical difficulties. You should not be in business if that's the case. Sometimes I go two weeks not talking to my love one because of your stupid DIFFICULTIES! The company doesn't have no answers for inconvenience. Meanwhile I stay without talking to my son. Shut them down!

Original review: May 16, 2015

This company so ** (sorry). It's so much I want to say about this no good company. You call them they do not help you. I put money $40 on my account and still is not able to talk with inmate then I put money on the AutomateIt. I put another $25 on the account when inmate tried to call after the $40 (talk with representative when I put the $40 on the account). $40 did go through but still wasn't able to talk with inmate so I put another $25 on phone. I got a chance to talk with inmate 3 times. Now they cut off my account saying it no money. I never did use the $40, never finish using the $25 and I had account where I had $11,70 left on a old number. Ask to transfer the money to that new number, they say I could't because I had did it before in 2012 - no I didn't. I didn't, no this inmate in 2012. I didn't know anything about this company in 2012. I just got this account just about a month or more ago.

I have never ask for a transfer before so I got all this money on this account and they still close my account. They sent about 6 or 7 different numbers by texts saying I needed to pay on those accounts. My account will be close, I never have had those numbers before or seeing them and they still cut my account off, they say. Why I can't talk with inmate when I call them, they say because he calling the wrong number - the number the inmate is calling that is the same number they gave me to get that so call cheap rate. And the number they gave me show up on my caller ID when inmate try to call. I have call them 7 or 8 time. They still saying the same things or some other excuses. I got to call them again why my account was cut off with money on it. I know I'm wasting my time. I stay in Fla, the inmate is in TN so I tried to use this so call cheap rate service but you must go through this company.

Will someone please, please check into this rip off company because complaining about this company isn't doing any good. People are losing their money and more.

Original review: May 14, 2015

I have been charged collect rates at $3.40+ tax for more than 120 calls that should have been billed $3.15+ tax per NC DPS gov’t website. I have been charged $4.75 service fee 18 times, but $7.95 3 times. I have been charged the full (yet incorrect) price for 7 calls that had GTL technical problems, include a 2 second call that was a busy signal. I have been told by GTL that my billing will not be researched, and that I will never, ever receive any credit to my account.

Original review: May 14, 2015

My son is in the county jail. He keeps trying to call me. I do everything the automated voice tells me to do. I have the cost billed to my Verizon bill, then they ask for my zip code followed by the # key. It asks me for it three times then hangs up on me. I would really like to talk to my son. Also I think their prices are outrageous -- $9.99 for 5 minutes. I better not be charged for the calls I didn't get!

Original review: May 12, 2015

I've had service with Global Tel*Link for almost a year now. The automatic system was taking my money but not providing me services. When I tried to call about what was going on nobody helped me. I tried to fax my bank statements they lied and said they didn't receive it. Meanwhile they placed a block on my phone on top of taking money from my account and not providing service. Please do not use this service. They will jerk you in the end. It's a complete rip off.

Original review: May 9, 2015

Every time I put money on this I have not received or accepted a call yet and it charges my account. I feel like I'm getting robbed...ugh, but no other choice.

Original review: April 29, 2015

Numerous prepaid calls disconnected after only 2-3 minutes. Unable to reach customer service. Automated system is a joke. No matter what you enter including the numerals instructed to enter the response is that is an invalid entry and the call is ended. Numerous requests send via email to request help and refund also remain unanswered. Each call is six dollars regardless of call length. On more than one occasion I have been disconnected 3 times...on fourth call finally able to talk the full fifteen minutes. Call ultimately cost 24 dollars by then.

Resolution response: Jan. 20, 2016

It took 6 months to get my money back. I had to file a complaint with the BBB. A few weeks after I filed the complaint, I received an email that the issue was being researched and then finally received a call about a refund.

Original review: April 26, 2015

I wish I could give this company 0 stars. They are such a rip off. I have been charged fees for opening the account, adding money in the account, everything you can think of they charged you. I would put $50 in and after everything they took out I would only have enough for 1 call. Finally my uncle's facility changed companies for phone services, so I called GTL and asked them for a refund of what the funds I had left over. Mind you, I called back in February and I talked with a very rude customer service rep. After about 30 minutes of going back and forth she said she would issue me a refund, send to my new address and it could take 5-7 weeks for me to receive a check. Fine I said, I'll wait.

Well time went by and I forgot all about the check until today, 12 weeks later. I still have not received anything, so I call and spoke with another customer service rep who said "oh you have to mail in your request and it can take up to 3 months for you to get your money. On top of that we are charging you $5 to ask for your money back." WHAT!!!! This is absurd! I was like you are penalizing me for wanting my money back and I yelled, not upset at him but upset that they have the audacity to charge me fees left and right and then charge me for wanting my money back.

I filed a better business bureau complaint, because I refuse to pay them anymore. I checked their website and in the section where it talks about how to close your account it never says there is a fee. If I was told this information 12 weeks ago I would have taken the necessary actions then instead of now fighting to get my refund and having to go through other channels to get the money I am owed.

Original review: April 23, 2015

This is the most messed up system I have ever dealt with. Everything is automated and you can't get a person. My son has a money for postage paper also phone but GTL said he had not added home phone. Don't believe this I know he added this number.

Original review: April 22, 2015

My husband has been incarcerated since January 2015 and I have had to use this crappy co since then to talk to him. At one point they were "holding" $220 because they said the payments had been "declined" yet on my end it said approved. I had to wait two weeks for it to clear off and in the meantime was having to drive 15 miles one way to put cash on the phone so he could call. Numerous times it has never rang on my end though he called over and over again. One would think that if they charge you $4.95 per deposit that they could get it right. On top of that some credit cards work and others don't at all. Hell even cash doesn't work sometimes.

Plenty of times my husband had called from someone else phone card pissed off because he thought I was rejecting his calls when in reality it was this ** ass company for allowing them to go through. Customer service.... A ** joke! They barely know their heads from their **! Thank god for the U.S. postal service, the letters may arrive late, at least they get there. WORST COMPANY EVER!

Original review: April 16, 2015

A friend was recently transferred into a MD State facility in Howard County and has been trying to reach me to give me his update information and what-not. His call was supposed to cost me a $9.00 initial fee and such-and-such per minute (I actually forgot how much out of frustration). He can't reach me for all the rhetoric during the introduction as well as the cost of the call. After reading several reviews, I am EXTREMELY hesitant to set up a prepaid account with them for him. This seems to be the worst system that Maryland ever drew a contract. They need to reconsider their dealings with this company.

Original review: April 13, 2015

I put $25.00 on my daughters phone service. She tried to call... their automated system said to press 0 to accept the call. I did and nothing happened. I pressed 0 again, nada. Then it said again to press 0 to accept this call. Third time I pressed 0. Then it was dropped. I was charged $3.00. My daughter calls back 4 minutes later... another round of unresponsive phone prompts. I was charged another $3.00. This has happened over and over. I am being charged for NO connections. It is against their policy to give refunds. This is blatant theft and they should be sent to prison for what they're doing. This is far worse than anything my daughter did to get herself there.. I'm ready to start a lawsuit... anybody game?

Original review: April 10, 2015

As a new customer to GTL, I thought this company would be understanding to my situation. I mean come on, it's in their mission statement. Yet, the company takes advantage of people in distress. They charge you $2 every 15 mins and $7 to add money. Woooow. Then when it comes to a refund, the company does not contact you on about your complaint. Then when you call the customer service number, they give you a very difficult time then charge you to CANCEL, THEN TELL your money will be issued in 60 day! This company failed to put this vital information on their automated phone operator. Then told me I had to mail a letter to request proof of my refund. Really, believe me Global Tel*Link is a scam! I hope this helps the next customer.

Global Tel*Link Company Information