1.15/5
Based on 451 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

520 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

My husband has been having problems for the past 2 days trying to call me saying my # wasn't working **. Now I haven't heard from him in almost 24hrs which we never go 3hrs without talking. For the past 3 days I've also been trying to add money to my phone and it tells me I can't, my card doesn't have money on it. Now they tell me I have to speak to someone to add money which then they charge for almost $9.00 to add $25. This is crazy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I was literally on the phone with my boyfriend for no longer than 5 minutes and they terminated my call saying due to three way calling when it was only me and him on my phone. I deserve my credit back. They took my money for the call and it wasn't even 30 minutes!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

Not only could my family members calls not come thru for 2 days. Every time I called they said my account wasn't set up. Lies. Not only did I set it up online but spoke with 3 representatives that set it up again with a pass code so I wouldn't have to do it again. But everyone asked for all my personal info every call. They all have been nasty and rude. Even the call escalation team was rude and basically hung up on me. Don't use this provider. They charge too much and this customer service stinks. Find a better one online!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

Global Tel Link is prepaid phone minutes for inmate calls. For every $25 dollars you add to your account the company deducts $6.95 which leaves you with a balance of $18.05 and the area you call from will determine the amount of phone time you get. My phone number is out of the area so for $18.05 I get 2 phone calls. When you go to the website there are no price breakdowns. So you don't really know how much you're being charged per minute. I had a balance left on an old phone number that I wanted transferred to my new number. For the transfer GTL wanted to charge me an additional $5.00 on top of all the $6.95 charges they've already charged me. The balance I wanted transferred was $3.61 which means after the transfer fee I end up owing them!

How is this company allowed to charge all these fees without letting the consumer know what they are paying for. They also tell you they'll send you a text when funds in your account are low. I got the text 2 days after my balance was at 0. A PRICE CHART or something that lets you know how much you're paying per call would be nice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

The jerks took my money and let one call go thru then placed a block on my line so my 16 year old son wasn't able to get thru even though I had a $10.88 balance left for him to use. And when I called 4 times about it they told me it was a technical issue that would take 3-5 business days to correct! Then when I asked what kind of credit or compensation I'd get for the inconvenience they told me GTL doesn't credit consumers. The company is a joke and they charge ridiculous fees just to add money on your phone to talk to your loved ones!!!! I HOPE SOMEBODY DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AND PUT THESE JERKS OUT OF BUSINESS!!!! They are a rip off!!! I pray I never have to use them again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Everyone is right about Global Tel Link. Their company sucks, they don't care about their customers or them paying their good money for crappy service. When setting a new phone number it takes 24-48 hours for money to be placed on your account so your money is withheld during this time! INSANITY! They have to make a hard situation harder. How are we supposed to talk to our loved ones? I hate it! if you have a long distance number from where your loved is located, good luck, because the prices for the call are outrageous! About 21 cents per min. plus tax! It's just crazy and lots of needless stress!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

I went on to their site prepay account GTL, on 8/8/15. Signed up for an account, all info as far as what person, phone number, and debit card info. Received a message telling me someone will be in touch and a pin #. After 2 weeks, I called, they told me had no record of my account. Took my money and said they couldn't help me.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

I called for a refund for my account. It has been 2 months and a half and I haven't received anything. I just called today after 2 and a half months and they told me there was delays and my check never got sent out and they will send it today and it will still be 30 more days. That's amazing and unbelievable. Not right at all. How can this company be like this? 30 days. If there was delays why didn't they call me and at least have courtesy to advise.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

I don't have enough space to list all my complaints. They constantly end the calls if you cough or sneeze even. They took 200.00 and it wasn't on my acct. and then they couldn't find it. 3 months later still no refund or phone time. They get away with it because there is no other options.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

Why am I out of minutes if I just put 25.00 on my account? We only had like 3 or 4 calls.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2015

My mother and my son's girlfriend has been putting money on this service for almost a year and just lately we have put money on the phone and now the phone service is blocked and nobody can get their money back. I just put money on my card and it's still saying blocked. Where's our money. Don't nobody have money to give away.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

So my friend is in a correctional facility in Miami and I live in Fort Lauderdale. I have Metro and my wireless service is perfect. He's been in there for five months. Calls are super expensive since he calls at least three times a day. GTL is a rip off. He calls me and seven minutes into the call they terminate the call due to three way calling and it's just me and him talking. Other times I hear static then the call just ends. But it's all after their magical five minutes mark. If you get to talk longer than five minutes they won't refund you your money period. I have called several times and their customer service people are terrible.

I won't go so far as calling them rude but they repeat the same thing no matter what you say... "I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I'll put a request in for a refund which can take 5 to 7 business days and it's not guaranteed." Then they take so much money from you for a service fee when you add money to your account. I think it's horrible that there isn't another company we can use. They steal your money and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I just got online to add money to my account so I can talk to my best friend, and decided to look at the account activity to see where my money is going. I'm adding $25.00 every few days, and she doesn't call me that much to be completely out of funds after only 2 MAYBE 3 phone calls. Upon looking closer, I notice that they're charging me between $3.00 and $5.30 for a "prepay station to station fee". WTH is that??? I'm already paying a service fee that's ridiculous, WHAT are these fees now?? Are these people kidding? It sounds to me like I'm not the only one being charged for these insane fees and mysterious missing money. Thank God my best friend gets out in just a few days, and I'm DONE with these people!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Anyone else having problems when you get call?? I would answer - I answer it and it hangs up, what should I do?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I called the customer service number to ask what my daughter needs to do to re-add or re-activate a phone number that she already had on her call list and she removed it but wants to add it back on. I asked the person that answered the phone 3 times what she needs to do and was told all 3 times that they needed to know the number so they could research. I told him 3 times that it was just a general question as some of her friends had the same problem so I was trying to find out for all of them what they need to do to reactivate a phone number on their call list. He finally admitted that he didn't know and then asked me if there was anything else he could help me with. I said, "I guess not since you can't help me by answering the original question that I called in to ask!"

Incompetent and of no help whatsoever. I even ask for a website address so that I could look for the information myself and he had no idea. I am really ticked off right now and that is how I found this forum, by trying to Google keywords to find an answer for my kid! So, thanks for absolutely NOTHING Global Tel Link Rep that answered my phone call and had NO answer for me! You need more training or to be retrained so that you can at least listen to the question you are being asked and then give an educated answer!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I have been waiting 5 months to get a refund from this company and every time I call them I'm told one lie after another. It makes no sense to have to wait to get your own money back, and then the fees they charge you to put money on the account is ludicrous. I have had it with this company, deceit and lies, and I am now looking into starting a class action lawsuit against them due to all of the similarities in the comments I see above!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

Every time I answer my calls some time it hang up. If it's 5 minutes or less it still take my minutes. I want my minutes back.

Original review: July 31, 2015

I had $17.31 and I added 25$. Why didn't the money add up? I would have had 42.31$!!! You all just took it and I really think it is unfair. So if you all could let the money stack instead of taking money, it would be nice. You will have a lot of happy customer!!!

Original review: July 29, 2015

I have been with GTL for almost a year now. Sometimes our calls do not connect or he cannot hear me. GTL blames on the jail and the jail blames GTL. GTL claims that it is $1.95 the first minute and $0.20 every additional minute. I time it myself and they charge $0.50 a minute. I also changed my # and they will not transfer the money over to my new phone #. Something need to be done about these hungry for money crooks. I would like to get together to stop these thieves from getting away with stealing our money!!!

Original review: July 29, 2015

This company is a rip off. Plain and simple. They charge 22 cents a call then tax every call and add surcharge. They add on minutes when calls are set to cut off in 30 min so it can't go over. They sent me a print out I can't make sense out of. How can they charge such outrageous prices?

Original review: July 26, 2015

I have spent $50.00 with this piece of ** company trying to talk to my loved one. I've only got to talk to him once for 15 minutes as every other call was dropped after about 30 seconds. I called to complain and they say it is my wireless provider. I have NEVER had a dropped call other than with this ** ass service. They even saw I was on the calls for 30 seconds and told me it's a risk I take accepting the call and fees??? Wtf? As many complaints this company has, how are they still in business? It's ridiculous. This is our only option to go through to speak with our loved ones!

Original review: July 24, 2015

I requested a refund of my balance with GTL of $6.98 and received a 98 cent credit to my bank account. The same day gtl debited my account that I did not authorize and now owes me $12.00.

Original review: July 19, 2015

I made a mistake entering the facility and wasn't able to correct it. No matter what you put on the 'manage facility' page if you make a mistake setting up the facility with the phone number there is no way to change it. This is the worst website I've ever encountered. Customer service is contracted out to India and they are of no help at all. They said they didn't know anything about the website. Why have customer service? The drop down boxes don't work. You can't enter anything at all.

Original review: July 15, 2015

I've been trying to put money on my account. I tried just putting 25$ but said my payment was not approved. So I called customer service. The first time I called the gentleman was very nice and helpful. He was able to put money on my account. So when the funds went low since their rates went up, I tried using the automated service thinking it would work. Sadly it didn't. My card was not approved when I had more than enough in my bank account.

I called customer service again but this time the guy was so rude he talked like he was in a hurry and I explained to him what was going on. All he said "maybe you should put money in your account". I took a breathe and told him "my bank account has money". Again he had to be a smartass and say "well maybe you should call your bank", which I told him "I did. And everything was fine with my account." Then he just got mad and said "well then use Western Union or get another card" and just hangs up. It's been 2 days that I've been trying and nothing. I even went to get a new debit card and still didn't work!! All I want to do is talk to my husband and go over his case!! I don't know what's going on but customer service is helpless and have no people skills and apparently brains.

Original review: July 15, 2015

I have experienced many dropped calls with Global Tel. I've complained only to be told it's my cell provider. I have told them that my carrier never drops calls. These calls are expensive and you can only talk 15 min. Bad experiences!!

Original review: July 14, 2015

I have read so many complaints on the internet (this site and others) about this company and their underhanded business practices. I fought them for a long time and they finally released the block on my phone after I spent a couple of weeks fighting with them and screaming to whomever would listen. I filed a complaint with the FCC, I filed a complaint with the State Telecommunications authorities. I filed a complaint or two with the Better Business Bureau. I e-mailed congressmen/women and senators. I posted unhappy reviews of this company. And, when that didn't work, I started all over again making the rounds. I think the only reason they released the block on my phone was because they saw I was NOT going away, and I even told them I was NOT going away. I told them I would keep screaming until something was done or SOMEONE listened to me.

Even though I was able to get the block off of my home telephone (which they have absolutely NO right to interfere with; I had collect call service billed to my home phone for more than 14 years with no problem until they just decided to take it away and block access from my home phone); even though I got my access back I am still HOPPING MAD at how they treat people (families who find themselves in unfortunate situations). And I am still HOPPING MAD about how they GET AWAY scot-free with it. I agree wholeheartedly with what some of you have said about until people/family members band together and fight this, complaining loud enough and hard enough to their local politicians and the FCC and their state utility commission these crooks are going to get away with what they are doing. They count on it being TOO MUCH TROUBLE for the family members.

Pick up your phones, contact your congressmen/women and senators, file complaints, BAND TOGETHER and get on your computer and fight them!! There is strength in numbers. I recently was contacted and told that there were over 2200 viewings of my initial complaint posting here on this site. Of that 2200, 51 of you took the time to say you found my review helpful. If enough of you stand together (and I would be willing to stand with you), we could fight this company and maybe bring some media attention to the fray. Fifty-one might not sound like a lot, but it sure is better than ONE or TWO.

Even if we are spread far apart, our voices can be heard. That's 51 people all screaming about GTL. Wherever there are some of us together in an area, maybe we could boycott GTL and get a media attention spotlight on this issue, or band together and start a "Go Fund Me" to legally fight GTL. There's lots and lots of connections on Facebook and other social media. There is also power to be found on the internet... power to fight unscrupulous companies. We will NEVER get anywhere by just posting one or two complaints and then giving up. That's what they are counting on.

Original review: July 11, 2015

My son is incarcerated at Blackwater River Correctional at Milton, FL. He has already tried to call 6 times this morning! The recording is supposed to come on where you can press 0. But since last fall, the recording doesn't come on half the time. Last week, he called home 15 times in one day and never did get through! On his end, it says we don't answer and we do! We live in Tennessee and he's in Florida. We are older and my husband is disabled and we can only go see him once a yr. When you write him, it takes 8 or 9 days for the letters to get back and forth. When you call to complain, they say they will reset the account. That's what everyone says! Resetting the account does not help! Do you hear me! This is a ripoff!

Original review: June 29, 2015

I attempted to place $50 on my account. The automated system denied my transaction. Then I attempted to place $25 on the account and received the SAME message. Confused because I had funds available I checked my online banking which confirmed what I already knew. I called GTL to explain what happened and was told the $50 was declined due to insufficient funds but the $25 had been approved. I asked how that was possible when I had more than enough funds.

I put the representative on a three way call with my financial institution who explained there was no way possible for the error to be at their end because the funds are available and taken out immediately once the vendor processes the transaction. When the service representative wouldn't reimburse me I asked to speak with a manager only to receive the same results. I asked to speak with somebody who was above the manager and was told there is nobody above her. She gave me an address to mail my complaint to. This is ridiculous! The monies they deduct from my account is inconsistent and if I don't keep track of the balance they won't fix the mistake. I so cannot wait until my husband comes home!

Original review: June 29, 2015

I am going to contact an attorney and get this on local news. I have been trying to get a refund for over 2 years. All the complaints, I think we have a good chance to win.

Original review: June 26, 2015

Ok, so here is my nightmare. For about three days now I have been trying to set up an account with them so my friend could call me. I live in Germany, he's in the US. Unfortunately you are forced to go with GTL and OffenderConnect. First of all I was not even able to add his institution, it simply wasn't on the list. Called customer service. Worst answer - "that's because you are calling from Germany". What has that to do with the list of institutions? Now that I have the institution I find out you can't simply swipe your credit card. No, when you are from abroad you need to email them and the inquiry continues. So now that this is sorted they tell me, I am not allowed to use a US number as I am outside the US according to my billing address and therefore can only use the more expensive German landline service. Actually inquiring about the US number got me blocked!

So I call customer service again, and in the beginning I am literally farting rainbows to get where I wanna be. I explain the whole drama again and I kindly ask the woman on the phone (Robin) if they do not allow the US number being forwarded (which I halfway understand) if there is any chance I can use a service like Voip or Skype with a US number just to keep the freaking costs low. All she tells me is that my request was denied. Not even trying to interact with me. So is it denied for all US numbers? Am I banned? I asked her what the TOS was for denying someone a US number while outside the US. I actually have a T-Mobile number from when I lived in Florida which works in Germany (it's about 3$/minute but it works). Now what?

She tells me again my request was denied. When asking her what the reason was and about the TOS again she repeats herself. If I can have the TOS emailed to me? No, you need to request them. And then she keeps saying "Is there anything else I can help you with?" - ELSE? You didn't even fix my first problem. I tell her that her non-existing customer service sucks and she's just like "We'll, send an email!" and you clearly know she doesn't care at all. She just ends the call.

So now I don't know if I'll ever get my phone account or not, if I'll have to pay them for the freaking expensive German landline or if I should just continue sending letters and forget about the idea talking to my friend at night. I'm about 8000 miles away in Germany and have no clue and nobody to turn to for some real help. As help was clearly not provided at all here. YOU ARE FORCED TO BUY THEIR ** EXPENSIVE "SERVICES" AND THEN THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. GTL IS A COMPANY THAT PUNISHES THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF INMATES. If anyone has any advice for me, I would be thankful.

Global Tel*Link Company Information