1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

549 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

All I have to say is it is wise to get a home phone through Verizon. You will come out cheaper. Global tele will drain you for even the cotton in the corner of your pocket. I put forty down and decided I didn't want their service so they took 13 dollars from me and then lied about putting the rest back on my card... People, we need to band together and sue them. They are a bunch of crooks and liars.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Not sure that this will in any way help, as it seems companies are able to get away with anything these days. They don't have to be accountable to the public and they know it. This company is blatant in its manipulation of families that want to speak with their loved ones... they are predators. My brother died and I asked that they refund the money left on the account, which they did not. They said they don't have a record of the request and said they tried to contact me about the account, which is untrue. Now, two years later they tell me that I forfeited the money because of inactivity. Beware, dishonesty is their only real policy and they teach their employees to lie and cover for them. Shame on them!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 31, 2016

I was told in November of 2015 that it was a $7 per month service charge. When I signed up calls are $3 per call, ok cool. But now every time I deposit the $25, $7 is always deducted. In a week I'm spending at least $75-$100 just to talk twice a day. It's a total rip-off now when I try to switch to the $30 a month plan I'm denied.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

I made a transaction earlier today in hopes to speak to my loved one of $25 with a loading fee added to that transaction. Upon several attempts of the inmate trying to place a call it would NOT work/connect the call. So being very flustered and confused because I was given this company's contact info by the facility my loved one is housed. I called customer service to try and resolve this issue. I was told several times by a rep "sorry" and pause. At that point I requested my funds to be returned so that I may find if another company and was told that "I would be CHARGED a $5 REFUND FEE and would see my funds in my ACCOUNT within 30 business days." WTF???

So I paid a transaction fee to receive services that I NEVER received and you are gonna charge me an additional $5 on top of the other fees and I have to wait 30 days to get it? What kind of ** is this? Charge me $5 for immediately refunding my fees, I feel so damn robbed. This is horrible service! And on top of all of it they don't have a company address. Wtf again? And guess what the rep said upon me running this back to him? "SORRY." Wow. Do not, I repeat, do not use this company whatsoever. This is not a reputable company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2016

Ok. So I put 89.00 on my phone through this 888-949-3303 number, said I was approved in the amount of 89.00. Ok so the money never went on the phone claim. I have to wait a week till my money goes back on my card so then I switched cards, bought a whole new card, put 80.00 on it, called the same 888#, said I was approved. Still no money has been added on my phone yet. Straight bs. This company really needs to be investigated. It's stupid and they have scammers working there. Nobody have money to waste and be stolen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

Beware. This company has no customer service. I had a friend that was incarcerated 4 months ago for what turned out to be one week. I deposited $25 so he could call me. He never did use the service. He just tried to call me, but now I've been told that because the account has been inactive over 90 days, it's on "hold". It will take 5 - 7 to reinstate the account! They take your money immediately, but they can't reinstate it for a week! I'm sure their hope is that in your desperation, you will deposit more money.

After reading all of the bad reviews, I'm sure there are so many fees involved with reactivating the account, I'll probably barely have enough left for a phone call. Plus, he'll probably be released by the time they reactivate the account. They prey on desperate people. I would hope that our criminal "justice" system would work with companies that don't take advantage of people that are already struggling. Not everyone in jail is a criminal.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

This is the 4th time in 7 months they said my payment was declined but the funds came out of my account. They got $400.00 and it took 3 months to get $270.00, and never credited me for the rest. It happened to me yet again today. This is THE WORST company I have had the displeasure to do business with. I wish the prison system would let GTL have a little competition and take bids for the best phone rates. I guess GTL gives the biggest kickbacks. I LOATHE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS THIEVING COMPANY!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I deposit money in the account and I have the receipt for it. I called and they could put the amount of money I added last time. They told me I have to wait 24 hours. YAY! They take my money from the bank right away and I have to wait 24 hours. This company is taking advantage of the people in need. This company is making lot of money by stealing the people.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

GTL is the worst inmate phone company I've ever had to use since my boyfriend has been incarcerated since March 2013. The calls drop at exactly 8 minutes, and has happened to me more times than I can count. Regardless of where I am, it has nothing to do with my service because it's happened at my house or in places where my service is 100%. I call every time and they tell me they will put it in for review. Nothing is ever refunded. 2 years ago when my boyfriend moved and I had to change phone companies before coming back, they wouldn't refund my money when I closed my account because I didn't have the exact date I opened it. All they do is take your money! They could care less. If I had an option to change companies, I would in a heartbeat.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

GTL Inmate Connect is out of control, preying on those who are in jail. By cashing in on desperate situations & taking advantage of friends and family, they nickel and dime prepaid accounts unmercifully. How can they are allowed to manipulate the prison phone system and nobody does anything? My incarcerated daughter needs to talk for her peace of mind. Since GTL took over two months ago, suddenly, without any explanation, these shysters coming up with and assortment of hidden fees (service fees, "adjustment increase", regulatory fees, taxes, etc) to rapidly bleed accounts. Then sending harassing emails to solicit more money to continue victimizing the helpless and trapped. How can an organization can be allowed to conduct this type unethical business with this type of robbery. GTL needs be investigated and stopped immediately by the proper authorities.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

I physically placed 80.00 cash to my nephew's Trust Fund account on 12/16/2015 using the on location GTL Kiosk Offender Connect Portal. My nephew never received the funds and this was confirmed by Warren Correctional Institute in Ohio by Chae **, Wardens Assistant/Public Information Officer on 12/29. Called GTL on 12/28 who said verbally on the phone they would contact me in 24-48 hours. Never received a call back. Therefore, I emailed support@offenderconnect.com. A representative named Chris **, Director of Field Service states this will take another 3-5 days. Meanwhile my nephew does without funds for evening food and necessities.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

Why is this phone service being able to charge a service fee without advising the customer they will be charged this fee? When you set up an account through the automated system there is no mention of any fees that will be charged, or that this fee will be deducted from whatever amount you deposit into your account. Isn't that illegal? This company said they are authorized to charge this fee and I understand that but I do not understand how they are authorized to charge a fee they do not make you aware of.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

My husband is in Allendale Correctional. It took 2 wks to get acct set up. Taking money for the calls but he's not getting full time. Calls not clear. When uses up funds on acct. I'm going to find something else... I was thinking about JPay.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

I set up a phone inmate account for my husband to call me from the facility in which he is incarcerated. I posted a payment with my debit card and my money was withdrawn the following day. My money stayed in pending status for days. I made repeated calls as to why my money had been withdrawn but I had no access to it. The customer service reps including a supervisor could give me no explanation. They said they would place my account in review and there was no time limit when the review would be completed. They told me it could take months! I waited for days, called them back, same response. I finally ask for a refund which they then indicated would take 30 days! This company is atrocious and their business practices are despicable.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Global Tel Link is a truly terrible company. They provide phone services in jails and prisons across the country. First of all, the rates at which they offer phone calls is beyond higher than any of the actual costs they could possibly incur for providing this service. Second of all, be prepared for this company to lie to you, cheat you out of money, and blatantly steal from you. I was using this service to receive calls from a prison and they SUDDENLY, without ANY WARNING, stopped their service to that jail. I attempted to receive a refund for the money that I had left in my account with them. This was in JANUARY 2015. Still, TODAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2015 I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY REFUND. I have spoken to multiple people about this and they all tell me different things. But the bottom line is that it takes them 30 seconds to take money out of your account, but A WHOLE ** YEAR to put it back into your account.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

I received a call stating someone was trying to call collect but it cannot be completed (have a cell phone) therefore I need to call 800-483-8314 or go to www.connectnetwork.com. I tried the web address first. I set up the account info only to have it say there's an error & I cannot set this up at this time. I then made the unfortunate choice to call the 800 #. Press 1 to set up a new account or to add funds to existing account ok 1 it is. Recorded voice plays back my phone number--ok so far--please enter your credit card #--ummm I don't have an account set up yet why do you need my credit card already? I hit the * button finally was transferred to a "customer service" rep who I could hardly understand. Explained to her I was trying to set up an account but their website has an error & when I called it just asked for my card info.

"Oh ok I can get an account set up for you now" (I think that's pretty much what she said but again very hard to understand her between just bored mush mouth talk & poor phone line quality). She asked for all my info-ok great we're getting somewhere now. Then comes mumble mumble $5.00 mumble mumble. What is the card number & how much. Whoa what's that about $5? In order to refund any leftover balance there is a $5 "processing fee" WTH? That sounds a bit scammy but ok they kinda have you stuck right now so ok whatever.

Then she comes up with the $9+ to even put $ on the account. Whoa-I asked her what the call rate is. Her response was just to reread her script on paying in $25 increments. No no stop reading the script listen to my question. Final answer was they won't know until a call goes thru. Well there was a call, oh our system doesn't update for 24hrs. Which leads me to ask how long does it take for my payment to post.

Evidentially I asked one too many questions. I got a "are you going to make a payment?" Sorry I have questions & trying to figure out best options. Now she has become extremely rude so I asked if there is someone else to talk to. Sure hang up & call back. Really? Sadly that's exactly what I did. Same situation only this time a guy answered & said his name was Chad mumble mumble--I'm sorry Chad? No Adam??? Very staticky & just a bad call so I asked him if this is their usual quality? His answer--what is the name on the account? WTH? No excuse me I asked a question. What do you want me to say we're communicating now are you going to make a payment or what? Really that's your customer service? Especially for a new account? No thanks have no interest in dealing with your company.

After reading the other reviews I'm so glad I didn't give them my card info. I guess it will be just snail mail for us right now. Instead of complaining to the FCC & whatnot, why not the jails/county boards that approved the low bid companies. Why are they not supporting a United States company? Just because a family member/friend made a poor choice doesn't mean we're less important or worthy of decent rates/phone calls. The website for the jail says they encourage contact with family/friends during their incarceration--not by using this company. How very sad.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

It takes them a month to refund my money after I quit using this phone.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I have a brother in prison and have been dealing with Global Tel*Link for several years. On many occasions, my brother would call when I didn't answer and I was charged. On other occasions, I didn't accept the call and charged. The rep argued and said I needed to learn to add. This company is shaft. Beware.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

This company has quite simply taken my money deposited in the account I made to contact an incarcerated friend and ripped me off. When I set up the account I was never notified that if no calls were made over a period of time that the monies in the account would be placed on hold. When on hold no calls can be made, even though there is money on the account!!! I have to call and reset the process. Then today I find out that I'm being charged an $8 admin fee for using a credit card. When I call to inquire why I have been basically given the runaround.

When I put additional money into the account I was told that it would take 3-5 to process yet as I talked to GTL today 6 days later it still hasn't been processed! When I asked for a supervisor I was told "We don't have a supervisor" Seriously! I was also just told that since I called on a Saturday it wasn't considered a business day and they couldn't process my request for a refund until Monday! So the people in there today are just hanging out? Never was I told about $8 fee for using a card to start my account. Never was I told that inactivity would cause my account to go into a "hold" even though there was money in the account! Just a joke! Don't bother with it. They know they have you over a barrel and you'll live with their inept processes and tough luck pal.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I opened a phone account authorizing $100 charge. When I reviewed my credit card statement there where 6 additional charges totaling $363 the next month. When I called requesting information they told me it was from their sister company DSI and that I would need to call them. I told them the charges were listed to them but they would not help me. When I called DSI they said the exact same thing, that I should call Global Tel*Link and request a refund. I have filed a complaint with the FTC and my credit card company has reversed charges pending an investigation. This company is a total RIP OFF with exorbitant fees for adding funds and monthly open account charges. It's a crime that families of inmates have no alternative than these shysters to deal with in a stressful time.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

I filed a complaint with FCC and so should you! I called to ask how much they are charging per call and why. They said 3.45 flat rate +.45 per minute based on my location to the facility. I compared and they only charged 2.09 for 22 min. to the inmates mother's account. My charge was 13.15 for 22 min. We live one block away. Her number is area code (240) mine is (410) the call comes from (301) both are cell phones. GTL is a cellular company in MUMBAI said the call to me was more because it was in the Washington Zone. I said, "No it is not Washington DC. It is Prince George's County. They did nothing to correct this. I asked to speak to a manager. He did nothing. I asked for the corporate number, George, the manager, said there wasn't one. He gave me a PO Box 2827 in Mobile, AL 36652.

I live in the Washington DC metro area and 15 miles from the facility I am calling. I called Verizon. Nancy at Verizon said cell phones do not accept collect calls. You must set it up with another carrier. She also said that it was an in-state call, not long distance. I read that you are addressing this problem with caps. "These reforms set an interim cap of 21 cents per minute on interstate debit and prepaid calls,"

Global Tel*Link is a dishonest and unforgiving company. They are taking advantage of people in a trapped situation. They are profiting from the meek. I want a refund of the overcharges sent back to the inmates credit card. This company is worth investigating. I have found hundreds of complaints made this year. Any Local/State/National Governments doing business with these Corporate Pirates should be investigated as well. Any Politicians receiving campaign donations should be investigated. This is one of the lowest forms of fraud made legal by a system that punishes its citizens with caging practices. Where's the change?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I set up my account for my son to contact me in May 2015. Cost ran about 6.00 a call within the same state and between LATAs. Not sure how that matters in terms of cost because this is a voice over IP network which is agnostic to LATA or state lines. For the months of April through September costs were the same. Now all of a sudden the same call now costs as much as $12.00 for a 30 minute a call at the tune of .40 per minute on a prepaid call. What is going on, Never mind the cost to have money debited from my account. This is nothing but a robbery without a weapon. The calls are choppy and there are dropped calls often. This company needs to be investigated for theft and abuse of the public.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I think I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't had major issues with GTL. I've been using it for two months now ever since my boyfriend became incarcerated and only minimal complaints. Yes, the service charge of 7.95 is a bit outrageous. And every once in a while (like once every couple weeks) my boyfriend will swear he calls me but it never rings through on my end but I've never had a dropped call. I've never been accused of three way calling over background noise, and I've never had money disappear from my account randomly, and I use a cell phone, not a landline.

I don't know why everyone has these huge problems with GTL and I don't? Like my only ** is that it still costs me 7.50 for a 15 minute phone call. Yes, it sucks to pay that much to talk to a loved one for such little time but at least I always get my time for my money. I don't get how everyone else gets ** by them but somehow it works perfectly for me? I have minimal complaints about this company, honestly.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

GTL has dropped 3 of my calls this week and my fiance has to call right back. Calls are already 3 dollars so now it's like I'm paying 6 dollars because the call drops. The recording claims someone is pushing buttons? Makes no sense, I have been calling and complaining since Sunday and all they say is it has to be reviewed to see if they are at fault. Why would I disconnect a call so my fiance has to call back and I pay more. They say if they are at fault I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund of my money? I don't understand, they don't wait when they charge these ridiculous fees. I pay 25 dollars and all I have in my account is 16 dollars after fees? That's crazy. I just want my money for my 3 calls credited back to my account. I work hard for my money and don't appreciate being ripped-off.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I have been reading all the negative reviews for GTL and I am completely surprised at all the negative reviews it has gotten throughout the year. The first time I used GTL was about 5 years ago when a friend of mine was incarcerated in Corcoran Prison in California. I used the service that allowed me to accept calls on my cellular phone, but the fees were added to my Service Provider billing statement. It was only for a few calls though, but I did not have any problems setting the service up, nor problems with dropped calls. This time though, I have been using GTL's Prepaid Phone services since October 2014 and have not experienced any problems when I used it for my son's calls from the county jail. Zero unfortunate dropped calls, no billing issues, and no difficulty funding the account with my debit bank card. I have, also, used GTL to fund my son's Trust Account, now that he is prison and still no issues.

Although, the prison my son went to uses a different company, I am still using GTL's Prepaid Phone services for my boyfriend who is in the county jail. The only issues we have encountered were static in the phone lines. Because he had a hard time hearing me, I simply yelled and repeated for him to push the handset cord into the handset, then our calls would be fine. Again as before, no billing issues and zero difficulty funding the account. As far as the topic of transferring funds from one phone number to another, I called customer service to have them transfer funds from my old number to my new phone number (both were cellular phones) and the funds were transferred within 24 hours without hassle.

I live in Mesa, AZ and the county jail is in Phoenix so my calls are $2.95 total each call and each time I fund the account, $7.95 is deducted from my balance for the service fee. My parents also used GTL and did not have any issues either. I made sure I read all of the 'HELP' information that is provided on the website prior to creating an account, so I would know what I was getting myself into and when a call comes through, I was given the option to find out the cost of the call prior to accepting it. But as a mother of a 15-year-old son who was facing several years adult prison time, I was eager to set the account up so I could speak to him.

Since I did not have any issues with billing, funding, or dropped calls, I continued to use GTL's services. It makes no sense whatsoever to continue to use something if I was having many issues continually and/or if my money was disappearing when I funded my account. I am pretty sure my loved ones would not want me wasting so much money on something that was not working at all or ripping me off. And during the times that my finances did not allow for the phone calls, I would let my loved ones know during the call that would exhaust the remaining funds.

The ONLY con to using GTL's Prepaid Phone services is that I cannot fund the account less than $25.00 each time. Again, if my finances do not allow for me to use $25.00, I let my loved ones know and wait until I have the extra money. I included a Print Screen of my account to shows I actually use GTL's services (please excuse the blotched out phone number, but safety first!).

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

My husband was recently incarcerated for a traffic fine. When he tried collect calling the house, it says my carrier does not support the collect calls which is ludicrous to begin with. You could always receive collect calls until this monopoly of the cable started!! Any-who, UNFORTUNATELY a person is forced to use such a RIDICULOUS COMPANY AS GLOBAL TEL LINK!! The fees are extremely high and what they charge per call basically boils down to EXTORTION. My husband is permanently disabled and we really can't afford to constantly put funds into an account so that you can receive MAYBE 3 calls (if you're lucky) for adding $25.00; of which after they take a fee for the use of the most stupid service in the world!! They prey on people who are in an unfortunate situation. It is my hope that this company is investigated and regulated!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

My uncle been trying to call a whole week and he keep saying the number doesn't work. And they're giving me the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I think it's a bunch of ** that you guys record phone calls and charge all this extra money for short amount of phone calls. It's ** stupid because you guys wasn't charging me a lot of money at first. Now you guys are charging me way more which makes no sense. It's **. I talked to a lady on the phone and she was just being a ** about it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I have been using GTL since 2012. The same credit card. Nothing has changed. When I tried to put money on the account GTL denied the card. But they took the funds from my account. They are refusing to take it from pending transaction status so I can get my money back. This is not only the worst company I have ever dealt with, but the fees are ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

The phone's volume is very low, it's always pick up the correctional officers on the loud speakers and disconnect the call stating that there is a three ways call attempt, I have have several interruption at 7 mins saying that you have 60 seconds left on the call and there was money still on the account. Global Tel*link is a big rip off. I am trying to file a lawsuit.

Global Tel*Link Company Information