1.03/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

528 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I set up my account for my son to contact me in May 2015. Cost ran about 6.00 a call within the same state and between LATAs. Not sure how that matters in terms of cost because this is a voice over IP network which is agnostic to LATA or state lines. For the months of April through September costs were the same. Now all of a sudden the same call now costs as much as $12.00 for a 30 minute a call at the tune of .40 per minute on a prepaid call. What is going on, Never mind the cost to have money debited from my account. This is nothing but a robbery without a weapon. The calls are choppy and there are dropped calls often. This company needs to be investigated for theft and abuse of the public.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I think I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't had major issues with GTL. I've been using it for two months now ever since my boyfriend became incarcerated and only minimal complaints. Yes, the service charge of 7.95 is a bit outrageous. And every once in a while (like once every couple weeks) my boyfriend will swear he calls me but it never rings through on my end but I've never had a dropped call. I've never been accused of three way calling over background noise, and I've never had money disappear from my account randomly, and I use a cell phone, not a landline.

I don't know why everyone has these huge problems with GTL and I don't? Like my only ** is that it still costs me 7.50 for a 15 minute phone call. Yes, it sucks to pay that much to talk to a loved one for such little time but at least I always get my time for my money. I don't get how everyone else gets ** by them but somehow it works perfectly for me? I have minimal complaints about this company, honestly.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

GTL has dropped 3 of my calls this week and my fiance has to call right back. Calls are already 3 dollars so now it's like I'm paying 6 dollars because the call drops. The recording claims someone is pushing buttons? Makes no sense, I have been calling and complaining since Sunday and all they say is it has to be reviewed to see if they are at fault. Why would I disconnect a call so my fiance has to call back and I pay more. They say if they are at fault I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund of my money? I don't understand, they don't wait when they charge these ridiculous fees. I pay 25 dollars and all I have in my account is 16 dollars after fees? That's crazy. I just want my money for my 3 calls credited back to my account. I work hard for my money and don't appreciate being ripped-off.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2015

I have been reading all the negative reviews for GTL and I am completely surprised at all the negative reviews it has gotten throughout the year. The first time I used GTL was about 5 years ago when a friend of mine was incarcerated in Corcoran Prison in California. I used the service that allowed me to accept calls on my cellular phone, but the fees were added to my Service Provider billing statement. It was only for a few calls though, but I did not have any problems setting the service up, nor problems with dropped calls. This time though, I have been using GTL's Prepaid Phone services since October 2014 and have not experienced any problems when I used it for my son's calls from the county jail. Zero unfortunate dropped calls, no billing issues, and no difficulty funding the account with my debit bank card. I have, also, used GTL to fund my son's Trust Account, now that he is prison and still no issues.

Although, the prison my son went to uses a different company, I am still using GTL's Prepaid Phone services for my boyfriend who is in the county jail. The only issues we have encountered were static in the phone lines. Because he had a hard time hearing me, I simply yelled and repeated for him to push the handset cord into the handset, then our calls would be fine. Again as before, no billing issues and zero difficulty funding the account. As far as the topic of transferring funds from one phone number to another, I called customer service to have them transfer funds from my old number to my new phone number (both were cellular phones) and the funds were transferred within 24 hours without hassle.

I live in Mesa, AZ and the county jail is in Phoenix so my calls are $2.95 total each call and each time I fund the account, $7.95 is deducted from my balance for the service fee. My parents also used GTL and did not have any issues either. I made sure I read all of the 'HELP' information that is provided on the website prior to creating an account, so I would know what I was getting myself into and when a call comes through, I was given the option to find out the cost of the call prior to accepting it. But as a mother of a 15-year-old son who was facing several years adult prison time, I was eager to set the account up so I could speak to him.

Since I did not have any issues with billing, funding, or dropped calls, I continued to use GTL's services. It makes no sense whatsoever to continue to use something if I was having many issues continually and/or if my money was disappearing when I funded my account. I am pretty sure my loved ones would not want me wasting so much money on something that was not working at all or ripping me off. And during the times that my finances did not allow for the phone calls, I would let my loved ones know during the call that would exhaust the remaining funds.

The ONLY con to using GTL's Prepaid Phone services is that I cannot fund the account less than $25.00 each time. Again, if my finances do not allow for me to use $25.00, I let my loved ones know and wait until I have the extra money. I included a Print Screen of my account to shows I actually use GTL's services (please excuse the blotched out phone number, but safety first!).

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

My husband was recently incarcerated for a traffic fine. When he tried collect calling the house, it says my carrier does not support the collect calls which is ludicrous to begin with. You could always receive collect calls until this monopoly of the cable started!! Any-who, UNFORTUNATELY a person is forced to use such a RIDICULOUS COMPANY AS GLOBAL TEL LINK!! The fees are extremely high and what they charge per call basically boils down to EXTORTION. My husband is permanently disabled and we really can't afford to constantly put funds into an account so that you can receive MAYBE 3 calls (if you're lucky) for adding $25.00; of which after they take a fee for the use of the most stupid service in the world!! They prey on people who are in an unfortunate situation. It is my hope that this company is investigated and regulated!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2015

My uncle been trying to call a whole week and he keep saying the number doesn't work. And they're giving me the runaround.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I think it's a bunch of ** that you guys record phone calls and charge all this extra money for short amount of phone calls. It's ** stupid because you guys wasn't charging me a lot of money at first. Now you guys are charging me way more which makes no sense. It's **. I talked to a lady on the phone and she was just being a ** about it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I have been using GTL since 2012. The same credit card. Nothing has changed. When I tried to put money on the account GTL denied the card. But they took the funds from my account. They are refusing to take it from pending transaction status so I can get my money back. This is not only the worst company I have ever dealt with, but the fees are ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

The phone's volume is very low, it's always pick up the correctional officers on the loud speakers and disconnect the call stating that there is a three ways call attempt, I have have several interruption at 7 mins saying that you have 60 seconds left on the call and there was money still on the account. Global Tel*link is a big rip off. I am trying to file a lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

My husband has been having problems for the past 2 days trying to call me saying my # wasn't working **. Now I haven't heard from him in almost 24hrs which we never go 3hrs without talking. For the past 3 days I've also been trying to add money to my phone and it tells me I can't, my card doesn't have money on it. Now they tell me I have to speak to someone to add money which then they charge for almost $9.00 to add $25. This is crazy.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I was literally on the phone with my boyfriend for no longer than 5 minutes and they terminated my call saying due to three way calling when it was only me and him on my phone. I deserve my credit back. They took my money for the call and it wasn't even 30 minutes!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

Not only could my family members calls not come thru for 2 days. Every time I called they said my account wasn't set up. Lies. Not only did I set it up online but spoke with 3 representatives that set it up again with a pass code so I wouldn't have to do it again. But everyone asked for all my personal info every call. They all have been nasty and rude. Even the call escalation team was rude and basically hung up on me. Don't use this provider. They charge too much and this customer service stinks. Find a better one online!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

Global Tel Link is prepaid phone minutes for inmate calls. For every $25 dollars you add to your account the company deducts $6.95 which leaves you with a balance of $18.05 and the area you call from will determine the amount of phone time you get. My phone number is out of the area so for $18.05 I get 2 phone calls. When you go to the website there are no price breakdowns. So you don't really know how much you're being charged per minute. I had a balance left on an old phone number that I wanted transferred to my new number. For the transfer GTL wanted to charge me an additional $5.00 on top of all the $6.95 charges they've already charged me. The balance I wanted transferred was $3.61 which means after the transfer fee I end up owing them!

How is this company allowed to charge all these fees without letting the consumer know what they are paying for. They also tell you they'll send you a text when funds in your account are low. I got the text 2 days after my balance was at 0. A PRICE CHART or something that lets you know how much you're paying per call would be nice.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

The jerks took my money and let one call go thru then placed a block on my line so my 16 year old son wasn't able to get thru even though I had a $10.88 balance left for him to use. And when I called 4 times about it they told me it was a technical issue that would take 3-5 business days to correct! Then when I asked what kind of credit or compensation I'd get for the inconvenience they told me GTL doesn't credit consumers. The company is a joke and they charge ridiculous fees just to add money on your phone to talk to your loved ones!!!! I HOPE SOMEBODY DOES SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AND PUT THESE JERKS OUT OF BUSINESS!!!! They are a rip off!!! I pray I never have to use them again!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Everyone is right about Global Tel Link. Their company sucks, they don't care about their customers or them paying their good money for crappy service. When setting a new phone number it takes 24-48 hours for money to be placed on your account so your money is withheld during this time! INSANITY! They have to make a hard situation harder. How are we supposed to talk to our loved ones? I hate it! if you have a long distance number from where your loved is located, good luck, because the prices for the call are outrageous! About 21 cents per min. plus tax! It's just crazy and lots of needless stress!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

I went on to their site prepay account GTL, on 8/8/15. Signed up for an account, all info as far as what person, phone number, and debit card info. Received a message telling me someone will be in touch and a pin #. After 2 weeks, I called, they told me had no record of my account. Took my money and said they couldn't help me.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

I called for a refund for my account. It has been 2 months and a half and I haven't received anything. I just called today after 2 and a half months and they told me there was delays and my check never got sent out and they will send it today and it will still be 30 more days. That's amazing and unbelievable. Not right at all. How can this company be like this? 30 days. If there was delays why didn't they call me and at least have courtesy to advise.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

I don't have enough space to list all my complaints. They constantly end the calls if you cough or sneeze even. They took 200.00 and it wasn't on my acct. and then they couldn't find it. 3 months later still no refund or phone time. They get away with it because there is no other options.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2015

Why am I out of minutes if I just put 25.00 on my account? We only had like 3 or 4 calls.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2015

My mother and my son's girlfriend has been putting money on this service for almost a year and just lately we have put money on the phone and now the phone service is blocked and nobody can get their money back. I just put money on my card and it's still saying blocked. Where's our money. Don't nobody have money to give away.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

So my friend is in a correctional facility in Miami and I live in Fort Lauderdale. I have Metro and my wireless service is perfect. He's been in there for five months. Calls are super expensive since he calls at least three times a day. GTL is a rip off. He calls me and seven minutes into the call they terminate the call due to three way calling and it's just me and him talking. Other times I hear static then the call just ends. But it's all after their magical five minutes mark. If you get to talk longer than five minutes they won't refund you your money period. I have called several times and their customer service people are terrible.

I won't go so far as calling them rude but they repeat the same thing no matter what you say... "I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble. I'll put a request in for a refund which can take 5 to 7 business days and it's not guaranteed." Then they take so much money from you for a service fee when you add money to your account. I think it's horrible that there isn't another company we can use. They steal your money and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I just got online to add money to my account so I can talk to my best friend, and decided to look at the account activity to see where my money is going. I'm adding $25.00 every few days, and she doesn't call me that much to be completely out of funds after only 2 MAYBE 3 phone calls. Upon looking closer, I notice that they're charging me between $3.00 and $5.30 for a "prepay station to station fee". WTH is that??? I'm already paying a service fee that's ridiculous, WHAT are these fees now?? Are these people kidding? It sounds to me like I'm not the only one being charged for these insane fees and mysterious missing money. Thank God my best friend gets out in just a few days, and I'm DONE with these people!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Anyone else having problems when you get call?? I would answer - I answer it and it hangs up, what should I do?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I called the customer service number to ask what my daughter needs to do to re-add or re-activate a phone number that she already had on her call list and she removed it but wants to add it back on. I asked the person that answered the phone 3 times what she needs to do and was told all 3 times that they needed to know the number so they could research. I told him 3 times that it was just a general question as some of her friends had the same problem so I was trying to find out for all of them what they need to do to reactivate a phone number on their call list. He finally admitted that he didn't know and then asked me if there was anything else he could help me with. I said, "I guess not since you can't help me by answering the original question that I called in to ask!"

Incompetent and of no help whatsoever. I even ask for a website address so that I could look for the information myself and he had no idea. I am really ticked off right now and that is how I found this forum, by trying to Google keywords to find an answer for my kid! So, thanks for absolutely NOTHING Global Tel Link Rep that answered my phone call and had NO answer for me! You need more training or to be retrained so that you can at least listen to the question you are being asked and then give an educated answer!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I have been waiting 5 months to get a refund from this company and every time I call them I'm told one lie after another. It makes no sense to have to wait to get your own money back, and then the fees they charge you to put money on the account is ludicrous. I have had it with this company, deceit and lies, and I am now looking into starting a class action lawsuit against them due to all of the similarities in the comments I see above!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

Every time I answer my calls some time it hang up. If it's 5 minutes or less it still take my minutes. I want my minutes back.

Original review: July 31, 2015

I had $17.31 and I added 25$. Why didn't the money add up? I would have had 42.31$!!! You all just took it and I really think it is unfair. So if you all could let the money stack instead of taking money, it would be nice. You will have a lot of happy customer!!!

Original review: July 29, 2015

I have been with GTL for almost a year now. Sometimes our calls do not connect or he cannot hear me. GTL blames on the jail and the jail blames GTL. GTL claims that it is $1.95 the first minute and $0.20 every additional minute. I time it myself and they charge $0.50 a minute. I also changed my # and they will not transfer the money over to my new phone #. Something need to be done about these hungry for money crooks. I would like to get together to stop these thieves from getting away with stealing our money!!!

Original review: July 29, 2015

This company is a rip off. Plain and simple. They charge 22 cents a call then tax every call and add surcharge. They add on minutes when calls are set to cut off in 30 min so it can't go over. They sent me a print out I can't make sense out of. How can they charge such outrageous prices?

Original review: July 26, 2015

I have spent $50.00 with this piece of ** company trying to talk to my loved one. I've only got to talk to him once for 15 minutes as every other call was dropped after about 30 seconds. I called to complain and they say it is my wireless provider. I have NEVER had a dropped call other than with this ** ass service. They even saw I was on the calls for 30 seconds and told me it's a risk I take accepting the call and fees??? Wtf? As many complaints this company has, how are they still in business? It's ridiculous. This is our only option to go through to speak with our loved ones!

Global Tel*Link Company Information

www.gtl.net

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business