Global Tel*Link

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Global Tel Link is ridiculous with number of ways they find to rip you off of the money you put on your account. I would like to start or join a class action suit. I can be found on Facebook under Beth **. Please feel free to message me with any information to get this going.

Ok so on my account that I have to log in with a USERNAME and PASSWORD, I had 2 different numbers on there that had money on them that I wanted transferred to my present number. The first number was my boyfriend's dad's number in which I had deposited money on there so they could talk. And the other number was a previous number of mine. His dad's number had $7.07 on it that I wanted to transfer to my present number. So I went on the website and transferred it on March 9th... It's been weeks and still hasn't shown up on my new number. So I call customer service to ask about this. They say to me, "since you don't own that number, you don't have the permission to transfer that money. The person who owns that number (my boyfriend's father) has to call and say he wants it transferred.

This angered me because why does it matter if it's his number? It's on my ConnectNetwork account that I have to log in to? I deposited the money, not his dad!!! Okay so then I move on from that and I ask the guy if I could please transfer the $10.00 that was on the other number to my present number. He makes me confirm my address and the last 4 digits of the card I used to make the deposit... I confirm with him. He says okay the amount of 10.00 will be transferred and then I tell him, "Ok and then can you please just close that account as that number is no longer in service." Well this was last Thursday and I still don't see that the $10.00 has been transferred but I do see that they closed the account for that number. Just very frustrating. Where is my money!!!

I have a friend who is incarcerated in an US correction facility and since they have changed their service provider from JPay to GTL there hasn't been nothing but issues. I live in Europe and GTL will NOT accept foreign credit cards like visa and master card so I have to communicate with advanced pay on email and this woman is so rude to me!!! Their homepage is so old fashioned and don't take foreign credit cards. So I ask this woman how to trust fund my friend and this I can't do. I am only allowed to put money on my phone so GTL can make money on me!!! It's so frustrating. I sure hope no one from Europe are friends with incarcerated people in the states who changed from JPay (very good btw) to GTL!!! It's the most rude company I have ever experienced!!!

Canceled this account over a year ago. I've had to file multiple complaints with my bank. Now they have had to issue me a new card as I keep getting billed. They also use the name GLOBALTELL LLC and SECURUSTECH LLC to charge the same amount. Sometimes twice in the same day. Always the same amount, $34.18, but sometimes different names. Check your credit card account closely for these charges.

I recently tried to add funds to my account so that I could speak with my loved one in the local jail. Their website was not working for a few days so I finally downloaded their app and tried to add funds that way. I initiated the payment and TWICE received a "request timed out" message. On the third attempt, the payment went through. I checked my bank account and sure enough GTL had charged me three times!!

I called the company where the customer service representative admitted they were having network issues. When I asked for a refund on two of the three payments, they informed me that I could not do that without closing the account entirely, which means my loved one would not be able to call me at all. I stated that for me... it was okay to have been charged, it didn't overdraft my account and it isn't going to cause me to not be able to afford bills but for so many people, I know their reality is different.

This company is criminal through and through. Stealing people's money while trying to say they offer services. YOU MAKE MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE'S WORST AND LOWEST MOMENTS! I told the representative that I hoped they paid him well because he works for a criminal enterprise where he then referred to me using a curse word and hung up. THANKFULLY I contacted my bank who reached out to this company themselves, filed a complaint with the BBB and have started the refund process on their own. Shame on you GTL... shame shame shame. I don't know how your leaders sleep at night knowing the harm your company causes. Lower than cockroaches.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

I paid $74 on 11/16 to be able to speak to my son in jail. He has yet to get through on my phone. I disputed the charge and they had the nerve to contest my dispute stating I received services! Never! Nothing! I will get my money back. And a class action suit is in order for this group. I have noticed several are interested in joining. It is not the amount of money. don't care if you paid $5. It is the corruption and dishonesty that is running amok. My ultimate goal is dissolve the company so they can no longer commit fraud.

They charge an arm and a leg for phone calls only to have their cheap and malfunctioning automated system kill the call saying it wasn't accepted but yet I wasn't the one who called! I have documented evidence that I am not the only one this is happening to. Every time I call in, I have to wait on hold just to get a very rude so called "customer service rep" on the phone to reset my account. They point the finger at a cell phone company and tell me to get a land line. Well, I got news for them. Land lines do the same crap and why should I have to go through the expense of installing a land line AND pay the asinine prices they charge for calls.

No other company I do business with that has an automated system has any issues with my phone or service. These include my bank, my mortgage company, my electric company, my cable company. These people prey on the families of loved ones who are incarcerated and put these stupid little disclaimers about how they can't guarantee call quality, and cell phones are at own risk. **! It's another excuse to not fix their malfunctioning system! I am going to every media outlet I can find with this and am consulting an attorney. This is ridiculous.

Today while talking to my friend in a local jail we were disconnected not once but twice. The system stated that the call was being terminated due to three way calling. I do not use three way calling period. Then I proceed to call to complain and the automated services tells me to press the 1 if I am a family member or friend. I do so and it tells me that I made the wrong selection over and over again. I feel that this is really ridiculous. This is the only way we can stay connected to our loved ones, family and friends. Something needs to be do and these issues resolve!

I registered with GTL. The first call I got cost me $16 for ten minute call 35 miles away same area code. Completely dishonest and thievery. I deposited $20 dollars on account, have received two calls and account is empty, tell me that isn't a thief, and when you try to contact someone all you get is recorded answers and says "you are in a queue" to talk to someone then a message comes on and says ring back as there is too big a wait time then you are terminated. This is a dishonest and disgusting thieving company. Only hope you have a friend inside and are trying to contact.

This company steals money from inmates families but charging 3.00 to add money to the account and then charge anywhere from 0.22-0.32 in tax per call along with the 0.05 cents per minute. After adding all of that up from my last deposit I still was $6.66 short from the calls that was received. Instead of customer service trying to fix the situation one guy named Sergio told me that I'm not right and that I used all of my minutes. He also threatened to hang up, so I asked to speak to a supervisor whom never came to the phone. So I called back and spoke with a different representative whom did not want to go through the calls and hung up on me after he asked me do I have a calculator. It's horrible how they steal from you and refuse to give the consumer their money back.

So I put money on my phone account December 8 so I could receive prepaid calls from the correctional facility. GTL put the funds on wrong account Called GTL on December 10th because I could not receive calls from the facility due to NO funds. Said they would have my account correct in 24-72 hours. Called again December 14, they still haven't fixed problem. Today December 18th still can't receive calls. They told me to call back tomorrow. They charge a service fee when you put funds on. Asked for fee back due to the kind of service I haven't received, can't receive calls and won't compensate in any way. Very poor service from GTL.

I have never used Global-Tel services. I used Global-Tel link services and put $25 on to receive collect calls from jail. I only used it to receive one collect call and was done. I didn't accept any other collect calls. I should still have a balance owed to me from Global-Tel link. Now, if you noticed there is Global-Tel and Global-Tel link. They say they are separate companies. Although, somehow, unbeknownst to me Global-Tel started taking $29.99 out of my account using my bank debit card! If Global-Tel link claims they are separate from Global-Tel, then how in the world did Global-Tel get my bank card info? Either way I Never authorized anyone to take monthly charges out of my account!

In total Global-Tel took out 89.97 from my account. Because of that I incurred NSF fees with my Bank! I find this debacle Completely Unethical!! I simply put $25 on my phone with Global-Tel link not even expecting to use it all, so why would I say it was ok to take out $29.99 a month? I believe the whole thing was a scam to begin with! Shame on these 2 companies working together to take money from Good People who are pretty much clueless to this Collect phone call industry!! I truly hope someone looks into this problem so it doesn't happen to anyone else!!

I have been a user of Global Tel*Link for approximately 7 months now. Believe me if there were another company that could be used I would jump all over it. Global Tel*Link has the lousiest customer service I have ever encountered. I recently deposited money onto the wrong phone number, since both numbers are on my account I assumed that the funds could be transferred internally to my other telephone account. I was told that they only provide that service one time, in the same breath the representative said that they could not transfer the funds that they could only be refunded which takes 30 business days. In all my life of doing business with thousands of companies I have never heard of a company holding your money for a period of 30 business days. This is totally unethical and I am seriously considering trying to band a few Global Tel*Link customers together to see if we have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

I have been using GTL for five years. One day they charged my card and twice and never funded my account, in order for me to received calls. I called into GTL, hoping they can fix the problem. They didn't, so I had to call my bank for a dispute. When I tried to add funds, it wasn't taking my payment. To make a long story short, the teller explained, I am no longer able to use their company due to my dispute. I have to use Western Union. Tried using Western Union, that wasn't going through for some odd reason of GLT. Call back into GTL, for 8 time in one night. The last representative directed me to another site.

I have been using Inmate Connect Network for 3 months. No issues. Now months late, I tried to add my funds the website rejected it, but yet I was fully charged, but my funds still said 94 cents. I called into the Inmate Connect Network, which in UNDER GTL SERVICES, he stated the dispute that I had 3 months ago kicked me out of the system. I explained, I have been using this service for months without a issue, now today they stopped me from using it, for a situation that was their system's fault. Now I am unable to get calls from my love ones.

There are 2 phone services used by Marion County Jail. Both are terrible!! Very confusing - globaltell.com and globaltel.inc - both (GTL) -very costly and hard to contact (even when I got a phone number and called only a recording came on no real person). Both deny existence of the other. When inmate calls the service interrupts continually trying to have added services put on account. The charge is $0.26 a minute plus the connection fee which varies up $5.95 per call. (Not many calls can be made at those prices!) Then they charge another $5.95 each time to add money to the account. It is a rack sanctioned by the government. Very misleading names and taking advantage of the families of the inmates - not everyone has an unlimited amount of money to stay in contact with their inmate.

I use Global Tel Link to stay in contact with my husband at the Indiana Department of Corrections - Pendleton. Over the last few months our calls have been getting disconnected around the fifteen minute mark, meaning he has to call me back and we have to go through the whole process again. I have called to complain to no avail. I keep getting told that I can't get credit which I did not ask for. Today I was told that no call over five minutes would be researched. If anyone else is experiencing this issue please get in contact with me. My next call is to FCC.

My husband was at jail and service constantly cut off with no warning and no way to track cost of calls. The prices of these calls are outrageous to say the least. You disagree and they are always right. Doubled cost several times. They use your love to cost their pockets. Connection with family is sometimes all that keeps people sane behind bars and families shouldn't be racked over the coals.

I used this company to talk to my son. I gave my credit card information and then my phone was lost. So I told them that this was a temporary number that I was using in order to talk to my son and that the phone number would be back to the regular number. After buying a new phone and calling back to add my funds to my old number they refuse to put my own money back on my number and I check my account and they still took money out of my account for a number that's not in service. I spoke with a negative person name Victor who was supposed to send my call to a supervisor and had me on hold for 30 minutes then hung up.

Please if anyone is suing contact me. I truly dislike this service. But I really need to keep in contact with my son. Also was given the wrong information about my refund in which I have yet to receive. This company is a scam to the inmates' family. I didn't commit a crime - why are we suffering and being taken advantage of. They don't deserve any star. I just have to in order to complete this review.

So my eldest brother is in Cañon City prison, and within the last week he's tried calling numerous times, and every time we answer, we get nothing but what sounds like an obnoxious and deafening disconnected beeping on the other end. What does this mean? And how does it get fixed?

My Daughter was arrested and calling me from the jail. Never can I imagine a longer wordier phone system in my life. After 2+ minutes of BS it asks for my credit card, then exp date, then sec code, then zip code... I mean really? And it has to repeat all this stuff. Then says more BS and by the time I get all that stuff done it tells me the caller has disconnected... I don't know if there is a time limit on how long someone on a jail phone can wait but I've received around 30 calls today from my daughter without getting through. I complained to the jail. They said, "Create a prepaid account." Ok great. I did that. It still talks for a couple minute and after it gave me this wordy thank you for using Global Tel*Link services. Thinking I'm done I say hello? Then it thanks me again and tells me my party has hung up!

This service need to get rid of the freaking ** messaging when I created an account. Believe me by the time I have created the account I've heard more than enough of their crap. Just let me click accept and talk to the caller. The service needs to tell the caller something like "We are contacting your caller and this process will take 5-10 minutes please stay on the line." I'm VERY unhappy and furious about this. My daughter has been calling since 6 am this morning no doubt completely freaked out and isn't able to get through to anyone. She probably thinks her father is mad and is tossing her out to dry.

I made a accident and put 64 dollars on my daughter's phone account. I meant to put it on her books. I called them and they said they couldn't put the money in the advance trust account because it was over 24 hrs. I'm so pissed. They need to fix this.

I purchased phone time for my wife who is locked up in Middlesex county jail. Only $25.00 credit. She only has a week left. She hasn't called yet and I'm yet to have an issue but after reading all the complaints, it seems painfully obvious that I'm doomed as well. I'm now feeling because MCI ripped us off a few years ago when I was in Valhalla Westchester county jail in NY. My wife put $50 on my phone account. After only $20 was used I could no longer call. A recording would say I must maintain $30 balance in order to continue calls. Please keep balance above $30 to avoid interruptions.

I got released the next day and was unable to get a refund for the remaining $30. Now just think of how many people they do this to every year? Most people are so happy to be free. They not even thinking about the money left on the phone account. Now that's a serious scam and I'm not sure but I believe they are no longer in business. Now GTL is scamming people. Time to take them down.

I have been having problems with receiving calls from D. Ray James in Folkston, GA. When answering the inmate call through my cell phone, the machine automatically states that my call is being rejected without giving me options to choose. After calling everyday to GTL and asked to get this problem fixed for me and other people, they refuse to give me a call and stated that I may have to change my phone number. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Through my cell phone provider, everything is fine on their end. Till this day after calling everyday, they ignore me. Thankfully a correctional agent from the facility has told me that she will try her best to help me. Not guaranteed but gave me a peace of mind. But if anyone else knows, please guide me to report this matter up higher. Greatly appreciated.

GTL used to be useful because I have been using it for a number of years however in the last several months it has really been useless! After an inmate makes the call if there is no money on the account the automated system used to have them hold while the call is completed. Now the system tells them to call back and the inmate will hang up even though I am on the line putting my credit card in the system. By the time I do it the inmate has hung up or it has disconnected the inmate during the process but the best part is that it doesn't even let you do that on the automated system anymore! The automated system now tells you no matter what amount you enter that it is an insufficient amount to deposit whether you put in $5 or even $50!

So therefore you have to speak to a representative which is useless as well. I had one today actually that was extremely rude and ended up transferring to another center. After I asked to speak to a supervisor! I have complained about the automated system not taking the amounts at all on numerous occasions however they still have not fixed it and I am certain if I am having this issue I cannot be the only one in the country that is! I have decided that I am going to contact the BBB in my state regarding this company and to see if there is a class action suit that can be put on them as well because of the fees as well I didn't even get into that on here. My customer service experience alone was enough to show the incompetence of this company!

When using the only service offered out of our county jail I experienced nothing but trouble. The fees for the call are not listed anywhere and are not told to you through the automated system. Rates of calls changed with no notice. The rate of the call that you accept and are told that is being charged has never been the amount that's charged. It is always more. I called customer service for the 10th+x to only be told that the FCC changes rates and no one is notified. Then told they listened to my call and it specifically told me my fee. I asked to listen to the same phone call they listened to. To see what I had missed! (Although I have used this service for a little time now & there was never anything that told me my charges outside of .5cents for 30 minutes which is a $1.50 but I'm charged $1.62). This lady said "NO I'm not allowed." She told me and that's what it was!!! I can't believe this & will be doing more to stop this abuse of our human rights.

The app never works, and when you call the customer service they never help you out. I called to add money to my phone and they answer and hung up 3 times after waiting like 15 minutes each time. Finally I was able to speak with someone and just to have them tell me that I needed to call another number or Google the information because that was not their region. Called the number and same thing waited and when I spoke to someone they just told me to call the number I had called in the first place. They are rude and never have an answer for you. They just keep saying “You reach the wrong department,” but yet the website tell you to call those numbers. On top of everything the transactions that showed up as failed in the app were actually deducted from my bank account several times. There is no rates. Either so they just charge different rates for the calls. They are a joke and just take your money.

I believe that there should be a class action lawsuit filed against Global Tel *Link. First off there is no privacy while talking to your loved one in regards to the interruptions, that takes up more of your time, and money because you obviously have to pause until the recorder stops interrupting you in the middle of your conversation, by telling you that the calls are coming from a correctional facility, something that, we are already aware of, so therefore we as customers are not really getting 15 minutes talk time, and at the end of the conversation she again interrupts the conversation by saying that "you have 60 seconds left" and a second after she announces that "you have 60 seconds left," she says that "you have 30 seconds left."

So after all of the interruptions we as customers are NOT getting a 15 minute call, a 15 minutes call should be without being interrupted, also it should be a flat monthly rate so that people will be able to afford these calls. These calls are too expensive and overpriced which is ridiculous for those individuals who are on low income status, and for those individuals who does not make a lot of money on their jobs. This is Corporate Greed! These individuals does not deserve this one star. The business sucks and the employees, the majority of the time are very rude, and act like police officers.

Global Tel Link is the only way you can receive calls if you have a friend or family member in a correctional facility. Unfortunately over the last 5 years I have had to use this service, and there has not been a problem. As a matter of fact I used it 2 days ago no problem. Today I go to use the system and after making my payment I was not connected to the person calling as usual. I called customer service and they said that they have just changed how they do service. The customer service rep could not tell me if the inmates were aware of the changes.

Also they now require you to call them back after you pay. You now have to give them your phone number again, and your address or you cannot receive any phone calls. This is the only service offered for you to have contact with someone. I firmly believe that this is a conglomerate situation much like telephone service was 40 years ago. Granted inmates are in jail for a reason, that doesn't mean the families should suffer.

May 31 2016 I deposited $25.00 for my son in BCJ. They did not explain well when depositing money. They have me as recipient not my son. I'm not in jail. There is no live person to talk to when the phone number for customer service provided is called. I sent an email to them and waiting for a reply. To those who say class action, sign me up. Or tell me who to contact to get the ball rolling.

For those with phone/call issues, try using an out-of-state phone number for your account -- either by creating or changing your cell phone # if using a cell phone to accept calls, OR (recommended) create a Google Phone number account with Google. Google Phone allows you to choose your area code (i.e. out-of-state area code & number) and then allows you to have calls to that number forwarded to any phone including multiple phones. (My Google phone account is setup to automatically forward calls to both my home & cell phones, and "generally" works without issue.)

At least in Texas, interstate calls from the inmate are then charged a lower rate (for most, just like your home phone long distance where interstate calls cost less than intrastate calls) and not subject to an "all or nothing" 15 minute call -- your prepaid GTL phone account is charged for the time you actually talk whether it be for only 1 minute or for the full 15 minute duration (whatever the maximum call length is for your area and/or as specified by contract between GTL & the incarcerating entity).

Yes, your phone account deposit is still subject to GTL's "fee" for the deposit itself -- flat $7.95 fee is what I incur. And while their system indicates a specific cost for each minute, there are still taxes, etc. added. For example, the interstate calls described above are stated to cost me $.21 per minute. But after taxes & fees (excluding the deposit fee), the cost per minutes is actually $.29 per minute. Additional recommendation: Be vigilant in reviewing your phone account balance online. Glitches for me have occurred (i.e. incorrect balance after a deposit or call) but have been temporary... to a certain extent, I make a little allowance for "computer issues". And knowing your balance before & after a call (and how long you talked on that call -- use a timer) will help in determining "actual" per minute cost.

Customer Service & Tech Support -- I stand with everyone regarding GTL's primary "customer service" group -- they are a FARCE! Ineptness is more than polite in describing them. For some of the "technical" issues I've had I've got straight to their Tech Support. No, you cannot get Customer Service to provide you with a number or e-mail. I went through GTL's corporate website (www.GTL.net) and their "Facility Support" -- "Technical Contacts" web page link to create a Tech Support Ticket myself (online form) and was also able to obtain their Tech Support phone number too. Main Tech Support email address (obtained via follow-up direct e-mails with Tech Support reps) is support@dsiiti.com.

While this site is stated to be for those at the jail facility GTL serves, I managed to get at least two technical issues resolved going this route (not giving up & going around their general customer service group) -- noting here that I never stated I was a jail employee but proceeded as if I were (sometimes referring to myself in third-person). However, my current technical issue with GTL, responded to by a "Tier 3" Tech Support rep has met with resistance.

Additional Note: While I was successful with one Tech Support ticket (inmates being dropped from GTL's database), another involving money required me to ultimately file a fraud claim with my bank. I made two trust fund (commissary) deposits via GTL's website and both processed to my bank. However, the deposits did not process to the jail -- remained in "pending" status on GTL's side. While GTL resolved the issue going forward, again I was forced to go through my bank to get reimbursed for the "pending" funds via an official fraud complaint -- GTL never refunded the monies. And my current issue (battle)... While GTL's system will accept my credit card for phone account deposits, it now declines deposits to my friend's trust fund account (same credit card, and bank has confirmed no issues on their side and in fact confirmed that the "declined" transactions are not even getting to them, the bank.)

Overall Recommendation: While contacting applicable federal agencies (as noted in other people's posts) is certainly warranted, where we likely may have the most impact is with jail facility's governing entity and/or County/State officials. These services are often by contract with the governing entity (i.e. County Sherriff's Office or County Commissioners or the like). Let your voice be heard by them... And perhaps when GTL is being contacted by the appropriate "client" official, something might actually get done.

Global Tel*Link Company Profile