1.04/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

524 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 12, 2018

Today was my first day using GTL phone service, my son is incarcerated and I was charged $3.54 each call. Why so much and it was even 15 min. I'm not doing this anymore after this money is gone off my card. RIPOFF!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

While trying to add funds to my son's inmate phone account with a service called Global Tel*Link a website came up called Global Tel Inmate Calling. I thought it was the correct service so I started to create an account. It asked for my credit card information before it even asked his name or what facility he was in. My younger son said, "Look they let you take a picture of your card and they autofill it in for you". Within seconds I got a confirmation email saying I just bought 30.00 worth of postcards. I never pressed purchase and didn't even finish setting up the account. I tried calling the number on the website it said it was to busy to take my calls.

I tried texting back to the number that had text me and it doesn't accept texts. I called back and was able to leave an email address for them to contact me. I guess they say by taking a picture of my card I agreed to all their terms. I was on their website in the first place because they set it up that way. They chose a name that was almost exactly like Global Tel*Link to get people who are trying to stay in touch with their incarceration loved ones. They will refund your money except for the 14.99 restocking fee. Which is half the money they had no right to take in the first place and dozens of people are doing this a day. The website should be shut down.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 21, 2018

Did not sign up for their service, got an email that I had, called their number and they refused to give me money they took and had to process a $14.99 (per their policy) to cancel. I repeatedly explained I did not sign up for them, but did no avail. HORRIBLE company & outsource to people who have strong accents and bad phone connections. Yuck!

Original review: June 1, 2018

GTL loves your money and will reassure you that their rates are affordable. Unfortunately, my incarcerated loved one only has this telephone service to go through for his outbound calls. There is no other option, unless you choose not to talk at all - which for many of us not an option. I am billed for the collect call and having a long distance telephone number as well as tax when funds are put onto advanced pay account. I have put a total of 60.00 dollars in a three week period, equaling 4 (2 days if used one 15 minute in morning and at night), 15 minute phone calls.

The price of this service is so expensive for anyone’s situation and unreliable when asked repeatedly about what they charge for local calls compared to long distant ones and for taxes! It’s hard to stay connected with your loved one in a reasonable amount of time, and "You have one minute remaining" comes quickly! If you have an option to choose another service and have a local telephone number I would suggest this option over GTL.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This company is a rip off! They ask you to sign up, but don't tell you that they will charge you $45.99 without showing you prices or asking for you to submit the charges! There is a box to the right, showing services but it asks you to sign in. So you think you have to sign in to get charged etc. No they charge you $45.99 without showing you any numbers. Then they want to refund you, everything but $14.99. I looked for cancellation places, there are none. A very confusing website, purposely to confuse you and get your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: May 21, 2018

Phone rates are 3.00 per 20 minute call in Oklahoma plus .80 tax. Most of the phones are damaged and inmates can't call to use those funds, however if they don't use them GTL will steal them from your account for inactivity, as they did my 30.00 in MARCH 2018. Several of the inmate phones at the William Key unit in Ft Supply OK, do not work, making it too hard for an inmate to call because of long lines. I'd like to see a class action lawsuit on GTL for stealing funds from accounts as they did mine.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is the worst company ever to start off. You have to pay 25$ to 100$. Damn I put 25$ for what - I got 2 calls. 1 was for the full 20 mins, the other one was like 3 mins and during that call it claimed I only had 2$ and some change. I was like, wait 25$ and only got to talk to him 2 times. ** babe needs to get back to the town or Collin county where I put 23$ with another phone company and talked 3 time and still have 9$ left before he got moved to Wichita Falls TX. I won't buy no more phone mins with this damn. Cheat you out of every dollar you have. Phone company (GTL is a straight up scam) plus can’t even view your account like with others.

Original review: April 6, 2018

This is my 1st experience with this whole thing so I signed up for Global Tel services yesterday & tried to get refunded today due to them not being straight up about how their services work so they took $14.99 for a nonrefundable fee! You're paying $45 to establish a # that's suppose to give you a discounted rate but funds still have to be added in order to gain phone calls from an inmate (they don't explain that). So basically you're paying for & phone # & still adding funds for the calls!!! This company don't explain everything on the video or site.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I just began using GTL (Global Tel*Link) in Dec 2017. First I had issues signing into my acct. right off the bat. Apparently I had "an invisible character" aka a space, after my log in name. The customer service rep was nice enough and explained when I sign in I need to make sure I add that space after my log in name. Slightly annoying, but whatever. But recently when my boyfriend calls and I press "0" to connect the call it doesn't register. This is happening more and more, and today I missed the call entirely! I think I hit 0 like 6 times and then the recording said my call couldn't be connected and hung up on me. On previous occasions I would press 0 maybe 3 times at the most. Now I'm concerned I will keep missing calls because of this.

I am glad others have written reviews about this issue and now I know it's not on my end. Sounds like GTL needs to get their act together. Their services directly affect people's lives and for those of us who have a loved one incarcerated it is hard enough without adding the aggravation of missed calls when they could've been prevented. I will attempt to call customer service if it happens again, but from reading other posts it sounds like that will get me nowhere. What a shame this is the only company available for phone communication in my area.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Global Tel*Link/ConnectNetwork is probably one of the worst providers of a service I have ever had to deal with. The employees are inept at best and the website is always broken. Anytime you send an email you receive an auto reply saying "Thank you for contacting ConnectNetwork! We will be in touch with you shortly." Don't bet on it. I called to see if I could have them put some money on an inmate's pin for me and they told me that they could not and that I had to either use the website, or the automated system to do that, but that he could put money on my phone if I wanted. I figured why not and had him put $50 on my phone. I thanked him for this time and hung up.

I made my way to the website (which I had used in the past without issue) to add money to an inmate's account which consists of a four step process. I selected to make a deposit of $100 and pressed enter. The screen loaded for a moment and then sent me back to the previous step stating that either my card information was incorrect or I had inefficient funds etc. I checked the information and everything checked out and I had plenty of money in my account. I added the amount again and pressed next. Again it sent me back. I repeated the same steps and (surprise!) got the same result. I call customer service and was told there was an issue with my card, but I could try the automated system if I thought that the website was the issue. I tried to add $50 via the automated service and again my card was declined.

I called my bank and asked them if there was something wrong with my card. They said everything was fine and that my payments had cleared and that I was just waiting on GTL to accept the payments. At this point I was livid. I add $350 dollars floating in limbo. I never even reached the step payment confirmation. This goes on for days and eventually I'm told by the stellar customer service that my card was blocked because I attempted to exceed the amount of money allowed for deposit on an inmate's pin-debit. Come to find out there is a $200 limit that can be added to an inmate's pin per month, due to security reasons (which is not posted) and I had tried to add money two day too soon.

So I put more money on my phone, with added fees of course and wait the two days. I call and have them verify that I can add more money the guy says yes. I keep him on the phone since I knew something would go wrong and guess what, my username and email don't exist anymore. The guy tells me that they are in the system and he has me verify everything. Still nothing works. He directs me to a location on the website and has me send an email reporting the problem. I type in what he tells me to and repeat the information. He then directs me to submit it and I do. I immediately receive an email saying, "Thank you for contacting ConnectNetwork! We will be in touch with you shortly." I wait, checking my email throughout the night and in the morning when I woke up, but I still had not received a followup email. I sent a followup email of my own and received the same, we'll be in touch message.

I eventually received this: "Thank you for contacting the Connect Network team. For payment information, funds transfers, refunds, account ownership, missing payments and all other account inquiries please contact customer service over the phone at 18776504249. Please manually perform this procedure by pressing the "Forgot your Password?" link on the "Sign In" page of ConnectNetwork.com if you can remember your userID. If you cannot remember this information, please select " Forgot your username " and follow the prompts. For security purposes we are not able to reset the account on your behalf."

So basically their solution is to call customer service, which has done a bang up job so far, or use the website which is broken seeing is that it doesn't even recognize that my account even exists. So I try the automated system today (website is still ** at the moment) and it works. I make two separate payments of $50 with a $3 fee each as opposed to the one payment with one fee I could've made online. Still can't access the website and I was told that a ticket has been submitted and that it would take 3 to 5 business days for a response. This has already been going on for a week. I don't know if my account has been locked (no one tells you anything) because of the pin limit, or if the website is messed up. From all the other customer complaints pertaining to website issues I'm more inclined to assume the latter.

The level of incompetence with company is astounding. No one knows what they are doing and they keep vital information (deposit limitations etc.) from their consumers, which leaves them confused and in the dark. I don't know why they allow a business that cannot function properly to have a monopoly on communications with correctional facilities. The consumers are at the whims of a company that is infamous for poor customer service, high level of incompetence and a website that's functionality is so sporadic, it might as well be broken and yet no one does anything. I actually thought to myself while writing this if I'm wasting my time. There have been numerous complaints on this website and others dating back for years and but this company still has dominance over the consumers. We are still forced to tolerate an epic level of fail if we want our love ones to have funds on their pin for phone calls.

Could I restrict my love one to only calling me? Yes, but the cost of calls to my phone vs ones made with an inmate pin is considerable and not cost efficient. They restrict inmate pins to $200 because they want you to put money on your phone because it costs more due to fees and per minute/call. Don't believe? Put $50 on your phone and see how long it lasts vs an inmate pin debit account.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Global Tel advertised a jail telephone service and misrepresented their capabilities. They provide a list of jails they service but don't describe the limitations. I paid $50 for phone service to a specific jail only to find out that they only provide postcard service and that another company is the only one allowed to service the jail I was trying to use. When I called to get my money back they said that I read the terms of service and that it was my fault.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I called the automated system to put money on my phone. I added 10 dollars and used my saved debit card and the system said it couldn’t process and transferred me to a representative. When the representative answered she was talking so fast. I couldn’t understand half of what she was saying. I eventually got that my bank supposedly declined the transaction but I checked my account while I was waiting for a representative to come in the line and saw that the transaction was processing. If it had been declined by my bank there would be no charge on my card at all, but anyway I called my bank and they told the charge had went through as I expected so I called back and I spoke to another representative who also told me again my bank declined it.

So I asked to speak to a manager because my bank said they didn’t not decline anything. When I finally talked to the manager before she even got to my problem she went on to explain that If I was going to use multiple cards to fund my account within 30 days I would need to call in. My loved one has been incarcerated for 2 years. I have always used multiple cards and never had a problem. She also told me about a 500 dollar a month limit and at this point I’m trying to figure out what any of this has to do with why my bank would supposedly decline the transaction.

She says to me,"Your bank didn’t decline the transaction. GTL did". So why didn’t the other two representative know GTL’s system declined because of a system failure. Why did they give me incorrect information?? So now the only solution I was given was try again and send in my statement showing the completed transaction. SMH. So now I’m skeptical about making another transaction with my card for fear of their system kicking it back again but charging my card anyways. GTL needs to train their representatives better and make sure they don’t give incorrect information and make sure you don’t make sure you don’t make assumptions about customers!

Original review: March 4, 2018

We have been using this service for over 2 years, always used high amounts of money for 2 relatives. Whenever we have an issue it's always told it's our fault when clearly it's their fault and their system, our last reasoning was blaming our end by saying it was too much chargeback and we can use Western Union when they were taking the money without authorization over 80 and we're credited 20 back and that didn't cover our 19 dollar charge. I feel they have no respect and no compassion for families, and a business like this where you're talking to your family in the system should not be ran like this. We will stand with anyone who wants to take further action.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had gone to Global Tel*Link to set up an account. It never notified me or asked permission to charge my account 45 dollars. It is near impossible to email these people due to the fact it comes back as email not sent. After I was told I would receive a refund of only 30 dollars because the “fee” of 14.99 was non refundable I still haven't seen a refund from these people! They have poor customer service. It should not take over a week and numerous failed attempts and ignored messages to get a response. Please save yourself the trouble and frustration and just go somewhere else!

Original review: March 1, 2018

My experience with this company is that they are charging families too much for local calls within the county to take advantage of families of the incarcerated. If the prisoner is nearby why is the call cost so much. Unfair!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I confirm what William **, KS said he experienced. There is a pre-planned intentional setup to debit your credit card and THEN they create problems logging in. As soon as you do access the site (finally as a logged in member) it automatically swipes your card that you were prompted to enter before the sign-in trouble starts. Everything happens so fast. You are charged before you have even glanced at prices, plans, and terms. Immediately, my card was charged $ 45.99. Upon objecting, I was told that it boldly stated it was a "special" that was clearly obvious and that I agreed to the terms. Finally, they say they are going to issue a refund minus a "non-refundable $14.99. How generous of these crooks!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

In December I had set up my IC Solutions account so that my brother could call me, it is now nearly March and I've yet to speak with him on the phone account that I still have the $25 on that I set it up with. Every time he tries to call I get a recording asking me if I want to accept a collect call press 5 so when I press 5 it then says that I am being transferred to a IC Solutions specialist so that I can set up a account! When I explain to the specialist the situation they pull up the account and see the $25 on it but have absolutely NO IDEA why it's not connecting and ask me if it's possible that I might have a block on my phone?? Umm... NO!

So then they say that they will but I'm a request for "whomever" to look into it and that it may take up to three days! I just don't understand what is so hard. I paid for a service from your company so just connect me! There was no issues at all when you took the money from me... Not one! So now you got paid and I can't even speak to my brother still after three months! Just move on to the next person and take their money! It's hard enough for families to have to miss and be without their loved ones so now you made it that we can't speak with them as well! Thank you IC Solutions! Karma's a **! Anyone thinking of using this "service" DON'T!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company is garbage. They took $50 without me even knowing it. I called for a refund and was told that I would only get $35 back. Then I get a phone call with a recording saying my phone is blocked. My brother has been in the Monmouth County jail in NJ for two weeks and we still can’t get calls from him. On top of that, you can only make a couple calls for $50? This place is ripping people off.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I'm a reasonable person. I understand there are issues occurring which you have to call to correct occasionally. I've tried to resolve issues with this company repeatedly. A month is too long to resolve an issue. They have a "sister" company which every issue it's the other company's issue. Value Added Communication is the sister company which is as bad as ConnectNetwork Services. The entire time inmate transferred to the Atlanta facility I have not been able to get calls from him. He is transferred again and still issues. They are "sister" companies but share one website which has one number. They don't answer their emails and wait time for calls is too long. Today they said they corrected the issue. We will see.

Why have one website with a phone number that can't help you? Why share a website?? I do not know what government department contracted with this ridiculously bad customer service oriented company but they need to CHANGE providers! During this interesting judicial process inmate has been relocated within the local counties several times and I've had one non family person I felt sorry for so I allowed calls from that person, NEVER once had an issue with those providers. A bit aggravating due to each facility having a different provider but even with the changes I received every call from inmates.

As a note: The inmate is incarcerated due to their wrongdoing. WE outside nice enough to "support" those people SHOULD NOT be made to waste our valuable time trying to work out RIDICULOUS issues just to get a phone call. Trying to correct stupidity take one away from their paying employment! The department responsible for signing on to this company should be made aware of such extremely horrible service!!! They have no issue taking your money by phone, but then you have to "find" it later because since it was paid over the phone it's not linked to your account!!! What is up with that???

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I can't even begin to describe how horrible this ripoff company is. I put $15 on my advance pay account in Oct. Just looked into my account as not only is my money gone sure to expiration... SAY WHAT? But my actual phone number has been completely deleted from my account.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

My husband is incarcerated and for months now he is unable to get through... My number has no block on it nor does the prison have it blocked. Even after as many as 20 times trying to get through only for call to say I didn't accept it, after on a regular basis endless attempts to get through we maybe get one phoned call every few days. With things already emotionally tough him being away, the stress and the fact it's almost impossible to talk to him is ridiculous and totally unjust and totally wrong. I've called my phone company also and they told me it's not them. It's the company GTL.

This just seems there should be accountability held for what it causes us to go through emotionally. Mostly because no money can account for or make up for the added stress to a loved one already locked up and the fact that there could be any kinda of emergency going on and as I sit every morning at 7 am and after 5 pm praying he gets through the feeling of not hearing from them after phone times are off is without words, I don't know what or how they can conduct a business like this and still be operating. My child was hit by a car and totaled out.

Thank God she is ok but when I know he's trying his hardest it's like added punishment to ones already being so and as I'm also on my end making sure my phone is clear. Not online. Making sure I do everything I can do on my end is good and even giving up meals or canteen or standing in lines for hours trying countless times to get through and doesn't... I can't put into words what it puts us both through. They deserve to and at least while being locked up which doesn't make them nobody or be treated as this is not a serious issue because they're incarcerated so they must be bad people or something because these phone calls to the outside to family and friends is not only a right but on a bad day in there can play a big part in situations they deal with daily.

I'm sure as I feel I'm sure most would feel the same.The last thing they need is stress from not getting that simple phone call to a loved one that could actually make or break their day. It's very beneficial to these guys to be able to hear positive things outside prison or for a loved one to be able help keep them focused on their toughest days and not let other inmates get to them causing more punishments. Sorry this is so long and may seem I'm overdoing it but me personally I just know it is absolutely 1 the most important things for these guys to simply call home without this company making it harder and more stressful on any of us. I thought it was just me for a long time doing something wrong until I came across this page.

I'm sorry for all your situations and definitely know what you're going through and after reading this something must be done. I can't believe all these stories and plus what I've gone through and it's just continuing. When is someone going to do something and if there's any suggestions how to move the process faster Id like to know and do whatever I can.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

It's a bunch of **!!!They are frauds!!! They advertise like it was the best thing going and once you pay for it, here comes all this crap you didn't know applied. Like... a new local number. Didn't want one nor did I need one. Now the facility has my real # blocked until this issue is settled but how do I notify my husband of a new # when he can't even call? No answer at contact number left by Tel Link, so you leave a message and they respond via email. I suggest this service to NO ONE!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

This company is deceiving they are on the Global Tel*Link website posing as them. They took $45 that I can't account for and won't be able to get back. The numbers on the website do not work and they took my money immediately but my bank is telling me I can't get it back until it's done pending. Something told me to look them up because the customer service rep at the real Global Tel*Link said this is an often occurrence. So I asked how is it that they can be on their website if they are not affiliated with them... no answer. I feel like it's a big Ponzi scheme for people who already don't have trying to get in touch with their loved ones in already bad situations which is sad. If there's a lawsuit I wish to participate because the actions are unjust.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

GTL/Telemate is charging outrageous fees for adding money to inmate account. I'm sorry, I can understand collecting a fee to add money to an inmate's account, but, paying over $11 to add $60 to an account is what I would call money gouging. They are making millions and of course they have to give the jails their kickback. This is almost criminal to charge that much. I wouldn't complain if it was a $5.00 flat fee, but not only they charge fee for that, you have to do communication and commissary on different accounts so they are double screwing you on fees. They are making money off of criminals, yet what they are charging is what I call criminal actions.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

While setting up the 90 service plan, I was kicked off with them saying the username was already taken. Next thing I know, the credit card was charged. It took 4 days and numerous emails (no one answered the phone number given) with the customer service reps sending my information that lead to a dead end every time. Finally I just asked the inmate to call the number I was given and it went right through. Then I received an email from them remarking that I was finally able to figure it out. I wrote back and stated I wish they would have just told me everything was working and fine now and it is sad no one knows what to do or how to check on the problem.

NOW when a call comes in from the prison, I am receiving a voice message that my funds are low and it has only been 14 days with about 4 to 6 calls. Again, I am going back and forth with Customer Service and again, they keep telling me I am doing it wrong. Yesterday I sent an email showing that I am using the number they issued to me and asked again to tell me why the voicemail is saying I am low on funds. Today I received an email message that they looked and I am using the number so they don't know what the problem is. It is hopeless to get anything done with this Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I deposited money to the inmate trust fund using GTL for an inmate in Ventura County Jail. He never received the money. I called customer service and emailed them and they have yet to do anything. I would like to start a class action lawsuit against the company. If anyone is interested please contact me. I kept records of my transactions.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Does not even deserve 1 star!!! Most forms that you fill out on the internet will require you to check the box that you have read their terms and conditions before they accept your application. I never even saw a box to check. When I went back, I noticed that there was indeed a box, but it was automatically checked. I was just trying to inquire about the service and was not warned that my credit card would be charged immediately. When I called to have it credited, I was told that it would be credited minus $9.99, as per their policy. So I lost $10 for nothing! And I called within less than 5 minutes after it was charged. And it was not even the company I wanted to use! They are very deceiving with how they advertise and how they operate. They stole $10 from me! Do not use this company! They are a fraud!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I use to think Verizon had the world’s worst customer service until I called here to try and give them money actually. Wow, yeah actually pay them to treat me like an idiot. The person on the phone rumbled their name so bad you couldn't even make it out first off. When asking to speak to his supervisor because he had zero clue what was going on, he blew me off. All around worst service I've come across, if you can find another way to pre-pay your phone do it by all means because giving this company even 1¢ is way too much. They don't deserve it at all.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Global Tel Link or Gtl has been telling me that my refund was issued. I have not got my refund in over 3 months. This is the second time that I requested a refund. The first time they told me it would take 30 (yes 30 business days) not regular days. After waiting 30 business days I called them back. I was told that the refund has been issued over a week ago. After calling them back, they told me that I would have to send them my bank statement to assure them that I didn't get the money yet. I told them I would have to be an idiot to send them a copy of my personal banking information. They said that is the only way to make sure I didn't have the money yet. I kindly told them to keep the money and that I would not be doing any business with them again. I don't know if there is any other way to make calls but if you can, make small deposits or avoid this company by any means.

Original review: July 25, 2017

When I try to add money to my account they tell me that my card isn't accepted only to still take the money from my card. When I call to tell them that the money was taken they say give it 2-3 business days and they'll put the money back on my card. But they never do. They are complete frauds that steal your money with horrible customer service. If I could give no stars I would. Global Tel Link is a disgusting company. BEWARE!!!

Global Tel*Link Company Information