1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

549 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I put on over 200.00 on my son's account so I can email him and they tell me I hadn't put no money on his account and he kept saying I hadnt put no money on his account and threaten me and I know he messed up a mine and now my son has probs calling out to me and I know because I reported him trying to steals my son money on the account... I can't understand what they say or do they understand what they are doing?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was trying to add money to my phone for a family member to call me. I made the mistake and created an account with this fraud of a company. I did not need this service. I thought I was creating an account with a different global company, the direct company that the jail uses. I tried to delete the account right away but they do not give you that choice. They charged me almost 50 bucks and would not give me my money back. It was a God honest mistake. Now I am out almost 50 bucks for crap that I never wanted or used.

This is a joke and anyone willing to work for a company that is ok with taking money from a single mom that made a mistake is low life, lower than dirt. I have never and will never use this service and I tell everyone I know not to. And how are they saving you money when they charge 50 bucks just to set up an account? They are charging you more than you would have to pay. You have to all that to set up an account then you have to pay for the calls as well? How are you saving any money at all? You're not. Just people getting off of taking money from people. I am very unhappy and will never, even if it 60 bucks for a call ever use this scam!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

To ConnectNetwork GTL is a joke. They not only take more than a ridiculous amount of money for calls but they do not give refunds. They do not transfer funds to other numbers on your account and they do not do any kind of resolutions for any thing they've done wrong. They give you a runaround and tell you 7 to 10 business days. 30 business days later they open another ticket 'cause they accidentally closed your previous complaint. They're the biggest thieves and they should be incarcerated. They know that you can't do anything about it and that you're your only option. GTL ConnectNetwork sucks

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My son was incarcerated in York County jail and I need to communicate with him, we used this company GTL. The only one you can used there! They overcharged me more three times at day, I cancelled my bank card I reopened on your other banks and they still charged me and chase me, taking money without my authorization, they are thief and racist and criminals with license to steal your money. Please help other and filed a small claims against to these animals.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've added money to my account for a family member to call. 3 different times now and the money has come out of my account within seconds. I still can't get a phone call to be allowed through. I call customer service and they said it was my provider, I call my provider they say it is nothing on their end so I call GTL back and they do nothing but give me the runaround. I ask for a refund and they tell me it will take 30 days for them to refund my money. This place is absolutely horrible. There needs to be legal actions taking against this company and what they are doing. Class action suit should be made for all those that are having similar issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This company is horrible! The customer service department is absolutely useless. I have been trying to add money to my account for days now. The money is taken from my account but then GTL voids and sends the money back. After numerous phone calls one customer service rep said that they have blocked my card but they can’t tell me why!! I am blocked from using any type of debit card and they have no idea why. This is absolutely BS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Was charged $26.28 for a 3 min phone call, should be $6.00 - I called customer service and they confirmed that I was being charged the amount for a 3 minute phone call and then it should have been $5.98 according to them but they could do nothing about it. Their customer service is useless.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

One star too many to be honest! My husband is incarcerated at the Men’s Complex in Santa Ana Ca, a month and a half and never once an issue with calls. Christmas Eve comes and now they decide to take my payment yet NOT give the minutes for ya to talk?! It’s Christmas and I can’t even take my husband's calls. I thought I was crazy so I kept trying to put money just for the same thing to happen! $100 later I STILL CAN'T SPEAK TO HIM! Do they have any idea that they are causing severe depression for my husband, myself and our children? Talking to each other is the only thing that keeps all of us going. AND ON CHRISTMAS??? I am sickened by all of this. A lawsuit is definitely underway. Too many people having the same issue I see.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Global Tel has been wonderful. Prices are way lower than they were in the past. I enjoy conversations with my boyfriend because I do not have to worry about the cost of them. Sometimes we talk up to 8 or 9 times a day on my days off. However, the phone will hang up by mistake If it believes you are making a 3 way call. Which I do not do. But overall it has improved!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

On December 11 2018 I deposited money on my son phone account. The money has not posted yet. A ticket has been filed to research my transaction. It is the holiday season. Really want to hear my son's voice. I've attempted to call 5 times to resolve my issue. All the representatives were very rude except 1. It's a coincidence they are removing the kiosk and now my money is missing. They said it could take several business days before they research my issue. Tried downloading the Gtl app. Was only able to conduct one transaction. Now I cannot log in. I am very disappointed with the way this company is handling issues.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have a brother doing life in Michigan-City Ind. state prison. And was forced to start using JPay, for the past several years now. Charged $6.95 for every time I put money on his commissary, per their mandatory service. Video calls were horrible! I use to be able to send a Postal Money Order, with the cost of a stamp. Now we're told that "GTL", is the new and improved way to be "Legally Robbed"! Hmm? I do know of one thing that may help, not right away, but in the future, our our first right dot org!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They'll charge you for messages that weren't sent/posted (their AI message censor won't approve your message, but your account will be debited 25 cents anyway). They'll charge you for photos that weren't approved/posted. They'll charge you for changing your profile picture. $0.25 for a 500 character message. I paid for over 500 messages between myself and the inmate but after she was sentenced and transferred (GettingOut lists her as "RELEASED") I have only 3 messages from her that I can view/save and mine are nowhere to be found.

I didn't know her new "FREE" tablet was 5 cents a minute and based on info from GTL's website thought it was a monthly subscription service. If she had watched Lord of the Rings it would have cost around $12 at $3 an hour (I'm not against profit or recouping the cost of providing free tablets, installing kiosks etc... but this is ridiculous. I could have bought her a Microsoft Surface Tablet with what it cost me in 2 months and Telmate would still have made a profit providing a music, movie, game subscription service.). She was stuck in a nightmare jail so to ease her boredom I went against my gut feeling and paid the price. Didn't know why she was calling me so often asking for money.

Do yourself a favor and communicate through regular USPS letters with your jailed loved one and save yourself from a very bad experience. They won't even delete or cancel my account when I asked them to, because I paid for everything - gave them my money - followed the rules - so that I could have the privilege of serving them instead of the other way around which is the normal service industry business model.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

This company is so bad. I paid 45.00 for the three months and canceled it the on the same day and was not allow to get a refund. So people please do not use this company. They are a scam. DON'T DO IT!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The only reason I gave this company one star is because I had no option to leave zero stars. This company has the monopoly on inmate calling and we, the families are forced to subject ourselves to gouging in order to keep communication open with our family members. One phone call costs 8.00 in the same state. When I put 5.00 on my account so I can receive another call, this criminal enterprise charged me over 3.50 just for the transaction fee so actually I was left with 1.40 to add to my account.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

These people are horrible. First, I made a deposit into my boyfriend's trust fund after he moved to a new jail in NY. After GTL took the payment, I called them to tell them the money wasn't there and they said "Oh, we don't service NY." So why did you take my money? Why didn't you update your system? Why was the jail available in the drop-down menu? Now they claim that the money went to the old jail and it was "gifted" to my boyfriend so I cannot be refunded and he has to physically go to the jail and get the money back himself. But my boyfriend IS IN JAIL. How can he go get the money? That is a scam alone, taking money and sending it to a jail that an inmate isn't even in anymore!

I told the lady that their system hasn't updated in 3 weeks, and she said "Oh, it takes a month." "No it doesn't, that's a straight up lie," and after I told her that I hung up the phone. The next day I log into my account and notice someone CHANGED MY NAME ON MY ACCOUNT from "Kelly" to "KELLY **, WE HAVE YOUR INFORMATION". Like what?? So this lady is threatening me? So I call them back and they claim 'No one on our end did that you must have been hacked." So I told them, "Listen, it says right on your website that no one on my end can change my name, I have to call customer service to change it. So I know it was you guys." The guy tried to hang up! I told him to let me talk to a supervisor who finally said she would have tech support find out who changed it.

Besides all that, now for the past week I've been trying to add money to my account for the phone and it declines my payment every time, but takes the money out of my account. I called my bank and they said the money was taken, but when I call GTL they claim the funds were not taken and to call my bank. The man was extremely rude and short with me. I tried it with a new card today through PayPal (both card I've used before) and it declined it AGAIN and took the money again! I haven't spoken to my boyfriend in a week because it keeps declining my payments and taking my money, and now I'm waiting for $60 in declined charges to be returned to me with no phone calls. These people are rude, no one knows what they're doing, they THREATENED ME. I mean I have a screenshot of my name changed, and they take your money and refuse to give it back. But they have us by the throats because we want to talk to our loved ones. Horrible people.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I signed up for this service so I could accept calls from my girlfriend. I paid 45 dollars and some change and was provided a special phone number. After being on hold for 18 minutes I finally spoke to a customer care person that I had a very hard time understanding... By far much more difficult than someone from India. Well anyway, I checked the reviews after I paid them. Hopefully you have checked these before you pay... Save yourself the hassle and money; dont use this company, find another.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I havent been able to receive calls from my man in jail for two weeks because every time he tries to call it says my line is busy. I contacted Global Tel*Link to look into the issue and they say they have fixed the issue and they have not! I've called at least 5 times and almost 3 weeks later I'm having the same issue. Funds are on the account so I dont know why it would say it's busy 'cause it's not. Customer service is horrible and they are a RIP OFF!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I put money on my love one account and GTL took my money and did not put it on the account and when I called them about the issue THEY said they didn't take it so I had to call my bank and my bank stated that GTL did take the money. I called GTL back and they stated they did not get the money however it is gone out of my bank account to GTL and they will not refund me my money back or put it on my account so I did call my bank back again. Had to get papers to show to send to GTL showing them that the money was taken out and not credited to my GTL account. I spoke to a representative and the representative at GTL was very rude and me. I am now in the process of going for a civil suit against GTL for this matter and this matter happened just this past Thursday September 13th 2018. Anyone interested in being a part of this suit please send me a message.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My son is in a Calif facility. Haven't spoke to him in months. 1st: GTL froze my acct because it wasn't being utilized. My son couldn't use phone because of getting transferred and no privileges for 3 months. When he finally called, GTL stated no monies on my acct. I was furious. I knew I had over $25.00 on my acct. I called GTL and was informed of their policy if phone calls not utilized they freeze your acct (never was informed or received a call) on this. I had to get reinstated. I let them know how pissed off I was.

2nd: On 9/3/2018 my son tried calling me again (3 times) my phone never rang on 2 of the calls and on the 3rd try I answered so excited and my happy was destroyed again (phone call got disconnected) after I heard his voice. I'm crying frustrated and angry. Called them again with another complaint to someone with broken English. Couldn't find their corporate office to put my grievance on the table so I'm doing it thru this service. GTL is crooked. Don't think there is another service to go thru other than GTL but I'm going to try. So FURIOUS.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

For the past week I have been trying to put money on my phone so that I can talk to my spouse! Every time it gets declined and I know I have the money in my account and then takes a week to return the money! I swear I wish he want in there because I HATE going through them! Then when you call customer service nobody knows what's going on! I mean we both can't be lost! Something has to change! No one wants to be without talking to their loved ones!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have been waiting since June 3rd for a refund. I have sent over 40 emails and am not getting anything accomplished. This place to 2 min to take my 49.95 but don't want to refund my 31$. I don't know who to contact about this but this should be reported as a scam.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was on the website before I signed up for it. Didn’t see anything about a charge so when I signed up for it my card was credited. I’ve been talking with support for three days now and they are still sending me screenshots of the price which wasn’t there the first 3 times before I signed up and it wasn’t there when other people got on there to look. They are a scam and won’t be doing business with ever again.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I made a payment of $50 online and I found out that this was the wrong company, I sent email messages and calling requesting my money back and knowing that they are going to keep $14 for nothing. But it's ok. Until now, nobody has returned my calls, my email messages and every time I call I keep getting a very unpleasant message. I was able to get online one time and they said that I was going to received an email with in 48 hrs. It's being like a week and I still has not received anything. I will be writing a complaint to the FCC in Boca Raton, FL about this company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Unfortunately my son has broken laws, and is paying his debt to society, but unfortunately there are those who scam you while in despair. Meaning when you Google what services to use for inmate calling, you are redirected to this site, assuming that it would be authentic because it's thru the prison look up. So you eagerly apply, for services to enable a word from those you love whom are locked away. They thrive on your ambitious need to be in touch with those you love. Costing 45.99 for a service that isn't even compatible with the prison phone services. So lucky you, "So you thought," it's held for five days. Giving you that time to cancel, again so you thought.

They do in fact cancel your services but will hold on to 14.99 for services of swindling your money from your account, for all that work to scam you, again unfortunately it's in the very very small out of the way print, "you had", a win win for them, and if you catch on? A little less taken from you. I'm on disability, and have a very meager income, not even enough to properly survive. So please be careful when being redirected from the NH state prison for men, relating to inmate calling and phone services. The correct service is Global Tek, so you see how close this scamming entity named their site, being Global Tel, to easily scam you. Look out, beware they are there.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Called the company to obtain a refund from this company for payment. I spoke with Sergio, who hung up on me, Debbie who was rude, and locked my phone number from being able to call and inquire on other opinions, now I had to obtain new number info and spoke with **, Danish’s who said she was noting a supervisor call back. Finally called back talked to Barbara who clearly knows customer service. It’s unfortunate that our Family members are incarcerated and have to deal with rude unprofessional people that have your money. How many customers have they took $20 or more away from? I work hard for my money just like everyone else. Giving this company free money is not acceptable, please beware of this company. BEWARE!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Today was my first day using GTL phone service, my son is incarcerated and I was charged $3.54 each call. Why so much and it was even 15 min. I'm not doing this anymore after this money is gone off my card. RIPOFF!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

While trying to add funds to my son's inmate phone account with a service called Global Tel*Link a website came up called Global Tel Inmate Calling. I thought it was the correct service so I started to create an account. It asked for my credit card information before it even asked his name or what facility he was in. My younger son said, "Look they let you take a picture of your card and they autofill it in for you". Within seconds I got a confirmation email saying I just bought 30.00 worth of postcards. I never pressed purchase and didn't even finish setting up the account. I tried calling the number on the website it said it was to busy to take my calls.

I tried texting back to the number that had text me and it doesn't accept texts. I called back and was able to leave an email address for them to contact me. I guess they say by taking a picture of my card I agreed to all their terms. I was on their website in the first place because they set it up that way. They chose a name that was almost exactly like Global Tel*Link to get people who are trying to stay in touch with their incarceration loved ones. They will refund your money except for the 14.99 restocking fee. Which is half the money they had no right to take in the first place and dozens of people are doing this a day. The website should be shut down.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Did not sign up for their service, got an email that I had, called their number and they refused to give me money they took and had to process a $14.99 (per their policy) to cancel. I repeatedly explained I did not sign up for them, but did no avail. HORRIBLE company & outsource to people who have strong accents and bad phone connections. Yuck!

Original review: June 1, 2018

GTL loves your money and will reassure you that their rates are affordable. Unfortunately, my incarcerated loved one only has this telephone service to go through for his outbound calls. There is no other option, unless you choose not to talk at all - which for many of us not an option. I am billed for the collect call and having a long distance telephone number as well as tax when funds are put onto advanced pay account. I have put a total of 60.00 dollars in a three week period, equaling 4 (2 days if used one 15 minute in morning and at night), 15 minute phone calls.

The price of this service is so expensive for anyone’s situation and unreliable when asked repeatedly about what they charge for local calls compared to long distant ones and for taxes! It’s hard to stay connected with your loved one in a reasonable amount of time, and "You have one minute remaining" comes quickly! If you have an option to choose another service and have a local telephone number I would suggest this option over GTL.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This company is a rip off! They ask you to sign up, but don't tell you that they will charge you $45.99 without showing you prices or asking for you to submit the charges! There is a box to the right, showing services but it asks you to sign in. So you think you have to sign in to get charged etc. No they charge you $45.99 without showing you any numbers. Then they want to refund you, everything but $14.99. I looked for cancellation places, there are none. A very confusing website, purposely to confuse you and get your money.

Global Tel*Link Company Information