1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

536 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The only reason I gave this company one star is because I had no option to leave zero stars. This company has the monopoly on inmate calling and we, the families are forced to subject ourselves to gouging in order to keep communication open with our family members. One phone call costs 8.00 in the same state. When I put 5.00 on my account so I can receive another call, this criminal enterprise charged me over 3.50 just for the transaction fee so actually I was left with 1.40 to add to my account.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

These people are horrible. First, I made a deposit into my boyfriend's trust fund after he moved to a new jail in NY. After GTL took the payment, I called them to tell them the money wasn't there and they said "Oh, we don't service NY." So why did you take my money? Why didn't you update your system? Why was the jail available in the drop-down menu? Now they claim that the money went to the old jail and it was "gifted" to my boyfriend so I cannot be refunded and he has to physically go to the jail and get the money back himself. But my boyfriend IS IN JAIL. How can he go get the money? That is a scam alone, taking money and sending it to a jail that an inmate isn't even in anymore!

I told the lady that their system hasn't updated in 3 weeks, and she said "Oh, it takes a month." "No it doesn't, that's a straight up lie," and after I told her that I hung up the phone. The next day I log into my account and notice someone CHANGED MY NAME ON MY ACCOUNT from "Kelly" to "KELLY **, WE HAVE YOUR INFORMATION". Like what?? So this lady is threatening me? So I call them back and they claim 'No one on our end did that you must have been hacked." So I told them, "Listen, it says right on your website that no one on my end can change my name, I have to call customer service to change it. So I know it was you guys." The guy tried to hang up! I told him to let me talk to a supervisor who finally said she would have tech support find out who changed it.

Besides all that, now for the past week I've been trying to add money to my account for the phone and it declines my payment every time, but takes the money out of my account. I called my bank and they said the money was taken, but when I call GTL they claim the funds were not taken and to call my bank. The man was extremely rude and short with me. I tried it with a new card today through PayPal (both card I've used before) and it declined it AGAIN and took the money again! I haven't spoken to my boyfriend in a week because it keeps declining my payments and taking my money, and now I'm waiting for $60 in declined charges to be returned to me with no phone calls. These people are rude, no one knows what they're doing, they THREATENED ME. I mean I have a screenshot of my name changed, and they take your money and refuse to give it back. But they have us by the throats because we want to talk to our loved ones. Horrible people.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I signed up for this service so I could accept calls from my girlfriend. I paid 45 dollars and some change and was provided a special phone number. After being on hold for 18 minutes I finally spoke to a customer care person that I had a very hard time understanding... By far much more difficult than someone from India. Well anyway, I checked the reviews after I paid them. Hopefully you have checked these before you pay... Save yourself the hassle and money; dont use this company, find another.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I havent been able to receive calls from my man in jail for two weeks because every time he tries to call it says my line is busy. I contacted Global Tel*Link to look into the issue and they say they have fixed the issue and they have not! I've called at least 5 times and almost 3 weeks later I'm having the same issue. Funds are on the account so I dont know why it would say it's busy 'cause it's not. Customer service is horrible and they are a RIP OFF!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I put money on my love one account and GTL took my money and did not put it on the account and when I called them about the issue THEY said they didn't take it so I had to call my bank and my bank stated that GTL did take the money. I called GTL back and they stated they did not get the money however it is gone out of my bank account to GTL and they will not refund me my money back or put it on my account so I did call my bank back again. Had to get papers to show to send to GTL showing them that the money was taken out and not credited to my GTL account. I spoke to a representative and the representative at GTL was very rude and me. I am now in the process of going for a civil suit against GTL for this matter and this matter happened just this past Thursday September 13th 2018. Anyone interested in being a part of this suit please send me a message.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My son is in a Calif facility. Haven't spoke to him in months. 1st: GTL froze my acct because it wasn't being utilized. My son couldn't use phone because of getting transferred and no privileges for 3 months. When he finally called, GTL stated no monies on my acct. I was furious. I knew I had over $25.00 on my acct. I called GTL and was informed of their policy if phone calls not utilized they freeze your acct (never was informed or received a call) on this. I had to get reinstated. I let them know how pissed off I was.

2nd: On 9/3/2018 my son tried calling me again (3 times) my phone never rang on 2 of the calls and on the 3rd try I answered so excited and my happy was destroyed again (phone call got disconnected) after I heard his voice. I'm crying frustrated and angry. Called them again with another complaint to someone with broken English. Couldn't find their corporate office to put my grievance on the table so I'm doing it thru this service. GTL is crooked. Don't think there is another service to go thru other than GTL but I'm going to try. So FURIOUS.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

For the past week I have been trying to put money on my phone so that I can talk to my spouse! Every time it gets declined and I know I have the money in my account and then takes a week to return the money! I swear I wish he want in there because I HATE going through them! Then when you call customer service nobody knows what's going on! I mean we both can't be lost! Something has to change! No one wants to be without talking to their loved ones!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have been waiting since June 3rd for a refund. I have sent over 40 emails and am not getting anything accomplished. This place to 2 min to take my 49.95 but don't want to refund my 31$. I don't know who to contact about this but this should be reported as a scam.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I was on the website before I signed up for it. Didn’t see anything about a charge so when I signed up for it my card was credited. I’ve been talking with support for three days now and they are still sending me screenshots of the price which wasn’t there the first 3 times before I signed up and it wasn’t there when other people got on there to look. They are a scam and won’t be doing business with ever again.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I made a payment of $50 online and I found out that this was the wrong company, I sent email messages and calling requesting my money back and knowing that they are going to keep $14 for nothing. But it's ok. Until now, nobody has returned my calls, my email messages and every time I call I keep getting a very unpleasant message. I was able to get online one time and they said that I was going to received an email with in 48 hrs. It's being like a week and I still has not received anything. I will be writing a complaint to the FCC in Boca Raton, FL about this company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Unfortunately my son has broken laws, and is paying his debt to society, but unfortunately there are those who scam you while in despair. Meaning when you Google what services to use for inmate calling, you are redirected to this site, assuming that it would be authentic because it's thru the prison look up. So you eagerly apply, for services to enable a word from those you love whom are locked away. They thrive on your ambitious need to be in touch with those you love. Costing 45.99 for a service that isn't even compatible with the prison phone services. So lucky you, "So you thought," it's held for five days. Giving you that time to cancel, again so you thought.

They do in fact cancel your services but will hold on to 14.99 for services of swindling your money from your account, for all that work to scam you, again unfortunately it's in the very very small out of the way print, "you had", a win win for them, and if you catch on? A little less taken from you. I'm on disability, and have a very meager income, not even enough to properly survive. So please be careful when being redirected from the NH state prison for men, relating to inmate calling and phone services. The correct service is Global Tek, so you see how close this scamming entity named their site, being Global Tel, to easily scam you. Look out, beware they are there.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Called the company to obtain a refund from this company for payment. I spoke with Sergio, who hung up on me, Debbie who was rude, and locked my phone number from being able to call and inquire on other opinions, now I had to obtain new number info and spoke with **, Danish’s who said she was noting a supervisor call back. Finally called back talked to Barbara who clearly knows customer service. It’s unfortunate that our Family members are incarcerated and have to deal with rude unprofessional people that have your money. How many customers have they took $20 or more away from? I work hard for my money just like everyone else. Giving this company free money is not acceptable, please beware of this company. BEWARE!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

Today was my first day using GTL phone service, my son is incarcerated and I was charged $3.54 each call. Why so much and it was even 15 min. I'm not doing this anymore after this money is gone off my card. RIPOFF!!

Original review: June 24, 2018

While trying to add funds to my son's inmate phone account with a service called Global Tel*Link a website came up called Global Tel Inmate Calling. I thought it was the correct service so I started to create an account. It asked for my credit card information before it even asked his name or what facility he was in. My younger son said, "Look they let you take a picture of your card and they autofill it in for you". Within seconds I got a confirmation email saying I just bought 30.00 worth of postcards. I never pressed purchase and didn't even finish setting up the account. I tried calling the number on the website it said it was to busy to take my calls.

I tried texting back to the number that had text me and it doesn't accept texts. I called back and was able to leave an email address for them to contact me. I guess they say by taking a picture of my card I agreed to all their terms. I was on their website in the first place because they set it up that way. They chose a name that was almost exactly like Global Tel*Link to get people who are trying to stay in touch with their incarceration loved ones. They will refund your money except for the 14.99 restocking fee. Which is half the money they had no right to take in the first place and dozens of people are doing this a day. The website should be shut down.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Did not sign up for their service, got an email that I had, called their number and they refused to give me money they took and had to process a $14.99 (per their policy) to cancel. I repeatedly explained I did not sign up for them, but did no avail. HORRIBLE company & outsource to people who have strong accents and bad phone connections. Yuck!

Original review: June 1, 2018

GTL loves your money and will reassure you that their rates are affordable. Unfortunately, my incarcerated loved one only has this telephone service to go through for his outbound calls. There is no other option, unless you choose not to talk at all - which for many of us not an option. I am billed for the collect call and having a long distance telephone number as well as tax when funds are put onto advanced pay account. I have put a total of 60.00 dollars in a three week period, equaling 4 (2 days if used one 15 minute in morning and at night), 15 minute phone calls.

The price of this service is so expensive for anyone’s situation and unreliable when asked repeatedly about what they charge for local calls compared to long distant ones and for taxes! It’s hard to stay connected with your loved one in a reasonable amount of time, and "You have one minute remaining" comes quickly! If you have an option to choose another service and have a local telephone number I would suggest this option over GTL.

Original review: May 26, 2018

This company is a rip off! They ask you to sign up, but don't tell you that they will charge you $45.99 without showing you prices or asking for you to submit the charges! There is a box to the right, showing services but it asks you to sign in. So you think you have to sign in to get charged etc. No they charge you $45.99 without showing you any numbers. Then they want to refund you, everything but $14.99. I looked for cancellation places, there are none. A very confusing website, purposely to confuse you and get your money.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Phone rates are 3.00 per 20 minute call in Oklahoma plus .80 tax. Most of the phones are damaged and inmates can't call to use those funds, however if they don't use them GTL will steal them from your account for inactivity, as they did my 30.00 in MARCH 2018. Several of the inmate phones at the William Key unit in Ft Supply OK, do not work, making it too hard for an inmate to call because of long lines. I'd like to see a class action lawsuit on GTL for stealing funds from accounts as they did mine.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This is the worst company ever to start off. You have to pay 25$ to 100$. Damn I put 25$ for what - I got 2 calls. 1 was for the full 20 mins, the other one was like 3 mins and during that call it claimed I only had 2$ and some change. I was like, wait 25$ and only got to talk to him 2 times. ** babe needs to get back to the town or Collin county where I put 23$ with another phone company and talked 3 time and still have 9$ left before he got moved to Wichita Falls TX. I won't buy no more phone mins with this damn. Cheat you out of every dollar you have. Phone company (GTL is a straight up scam) plus can’t even view your account like with others.

Original review: April 6, 2018

This is my 1st experience with this whole thing so I signed up for Global Tel services yesterday & tried to get refunded today due to them not being straight up about how their services work so they took $14.99 for a nonrefundable fee! You're paying $45 to establish a # that's suppose to give you a discounted rate but funds still have to be added in order to gain phone calls from an inmate (they don't explain that). So basically you're paying for & phone # & still adding funds for the calls!!! This company don't explain everything on the video or site.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I just began using GTL (Global Tel*Link) in Dec 2017. First I had issues signing into my acct. right off the bat. Apparently I had "an invisible character" aka a space, after my log in name. The customer service rep was nice enough and explained when I sign in I need to make sure I add that space after my log in name. Slightly annoying, but whatever. But recently when my boyfriend calls and I press "0" to connect the call it doesn't register. This is happening more and more, and today I missed the call entirely! I think I hit 0 like 6 times and then the recording said my call couldn't be connected and hung up on me. On previous occasions I would press 0 maybe 3 times at the most. Now I'm concerned I will keep missing calls because of this.

I am glad others have written reviews about this issue and now I know it's not on my end. Sounds like GTL needs to get their act together. Their services directly affect people's lives and for those of us who have a loved one incarcerated it is hard enough without adding the aggravation of missed calls when they could've been prevented. I will attempt to call customer service if it happens again, but from reading other posts it sounds like that will get me nowhere. What a shame this is the only company available for phone communication in my area.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Global Tel*Link/ConnectNetwork is probably one of the worst providers of a service I have ever had to deal with. The employees are inept at best and the website is always broken. Anytime you send an email you receive an auto reply saying "Thank you for contacting ConnectNetwork! We will be in touch with you shortly." Don't bet on it. I called to see if I could have them put some money on an inmate's pin for me and they told me that they could not and that I had to either use the website, or the automated system to do that, but that he could put money on my phone if I wanted. I figured why not and had him put $50 on my phone. I thanked him for this time and hung up.

I made my way to the website (which I had used in the past without issue) to add money to an inmate's account which consists of a four step process. I selected to make a deposit of $100 and pressed enter. The screen loaded for a moment and then sent me back to the previous step stating that either my card information was incorrect or I had inefficient funds etc. I checked the information and everything checked out and I had plenty of money in my account. I added the amount again and pressed next. Again it sent me back. I repeated the same steps and (surprise!) got the same result. I call customer service and was told there was an issue with my card, but I could try the automated system if I thought that the website was the issue. I tried to add $50 via the automated service and again my card was declined.

I called my bank and asked them if there was something wrong with my card. They said everything was fine and that my payments had cleared and that I was just waiting on GTL to accept the payments. At this point I was livid. I add $350 dollars floating in limbo. I never even reached the step payment confirmation. This goes on for days and eventually I'm told by the stellar customer service that my card was blocked because I attempted to exceed the amount of money allowed for deposit on an inmate's pin-debit. Come to find out there is a $200 limit that can be added to an inmate's pin per month, due to security reasons (which is not posted) and I had tried to add money two day too soon.

So I put more money on my phone, with added fees of course and wait the two days. I call and have them verify that I can add more money the guy says yes. I keep him on the phone since I knew something would go wrong and guess what, my username and email don't exist anymore. The guy tells me that they are in the system and he has me verify everything. Still nothing works. He directs me to a location on the website and has me send an email reporting the problem. I type in what he tells me to and repeat the information. He then directs me to submit it and I do. I immediately receive an email saying, "Thank you for contacting ConnectNetwork! We will be in touch with you shortly." I wait, checking my email throughout the night and in the morning when I woke up, but I still had not received a followup email. I sent a followup email of my own and received the same, we'll be in touch message.

I eventually received this: "Thank you for contacting the Connect Network team. For payment information, funds transfers, refunds, account ownership, missing payments and all other account inquiries please contact customer service over the phone at 18776504249. Please manually perform this procedure by pressing the "Forgot your Password?" link on the "Sign In" page of ConnectNetwork.com if you can remember your userID. If you cannot remember this information, please select " Forgot your username " and follow the prompts. For security purposes we are not able to reset the account on your behalf."

So basically their solution is to call customer service, which has done a bang up job so far, or use the website which is broken seeing is that it doesn't even recognize that my account even exists. So I try the automated system today (website is still ** at the moment) and it works. I make two separate payments of $50 with a $3 fee each as opposed to the one payment with one fee I could've made online. Still can't access the website and I was told that a ticket has been submitted and that it would take 3 to 5 business days for a response. This has already been going on for a week. I don't know if my account has been locked (no one tells you anything) because of the pin limit, or if the website is messed up. From all the other customer complaints pertaining to website issues I'm more inclined to assume the latter.

The level of incompetence with company is astounding. No one knows what they are doing and they keep vital information (deposit limitations etc.) from their consumers, which leaves them confused and in the dark. I don't know why they allow a business that cannot function properly to have a monopoly on communications with correctional facilities. The consumers are at the whims of a company that is infamous for poor customer service, high level of incompetence and a website that's functionality is so sporadic, it might as well be broken and yet no one does anything. I actually thought to myself while writing this if I'm wasting my time. There have been numerous complaints on this website and others dating back for years and but this company still has dominance over the consumers. We are still forced to tolerate an epic level of fail if we want our love ones to have funds on their pin for phone calls.

Could I restrict my love one to only calling me? Yes, but the cost of calls to my phone vs ones made with an inmate pin is considerable and not cost efficient. They restrict inmate pins to $200 because they want you to put money on your phone because it costs more due to fees and per minute/call. Don't believe? Put $50 on your phone and see how long it lasts vs an inmate pin debit account.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Global Tel advertised a jail telephone service and misrepresented their capabilities. They provide a list of jails they service but don't describe the limitations. I paid $50 for phone service to a specific jail only to find out that they only provide postcard service and that another company is the only one allowed to service the jail I was trying to use. When I called to get my money back they said that I read the terms of service and that it was my fault.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I called the automated system to put money on my phone. I added 10 dollars and used my saved debit card and the system said it couldn’t process and transferred me to a representative. When the representative answered she was talking so fast. I couldn’t understand half of what she was saying. I eventually got that my bank supposedly declined the transaction but I checked my account while I was waiting for a representative to come in the line and saw that the transaction was processing. If it had been declined by my bank there would be no charge on my card at all, but anyway I called my bank and they told the charge had went through as I expected so I called back and I spoke to another representative who also told me again my bank declined it.

So I asked to speak to a manager because my bank said they didn’t not decline anything. When I finally talked to the manager before she even got to my problem she went on to explain that If I was going to use multiple cards to fund my account within 30 days I would need to call in. My loved one has been incarcerated for 2 years. I have always used multiple cards and never had a problem. She also told me about a 500 dollar a month limit and at this point I’m trying to figure out what any of this has to do with why my bank would supposedly decline the transaction.

She says to me,"Your bank didn’t decline the transaction. GTL did". So why didn’t the other two representative know GTL’s system declined because of a system failure. Why did they give me incorrect information?? So now the only solution I was given was try again and send in my statement showing the completed transaction. SMH. So now I’m skeptical about making another transaction with my card for fear of their system kicking it back again but charging my card anyways. GTL needs to train their representatives better and make sure they don’t give incorrect information and make sure you don’t make sure you don’t make assumptions about customers!

Original review: March 4, 2018

We have been using this service for over 2 years, always used high amounts of money for 2 relatives. Whenever we have an issue it's always told it's our fault when clearly it's their fault and their system, our last reasoning was blaming our end by saying it was too much chargeback and we can use Western Union when they were taking the money without authorization over 80 and we're credited 20 back and that didn't cover our 19 dollar charge. I feel they have no respect and no compassion for families, and a business like this where you're talking to your family in the system should not be ran like this. We will stand with anyone who wants to take further action.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I had gone to Global Tel*Link to set up an account. It never notified me or asked permission to charge my account 45 dollars. It is near impossible to email these people due to the fact it comes back as email not sent. After I was told I would receive a refund of only 30 dollars because the “fee” of 14.99 was non refundable I still haven't seen a refund from these people! They have poor customer service. It should not take over a week and numerous failed attempts and ignored messages to get a response. Please save yourself the trouble and frustration and just go somewhere else!

Original review: March 1, 2018

My experience with this company is that they are charging families too much for local calls within the county to take advantage of families of the incarcerated. If the prisoner is nearby why is the call cost so much. Unfair!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I confirm what William **, KS said he experienced. There is a pre-planned intentional setup to debit your credit card and THEN they create problems logging in. As soon as you do access the site (finally as a logged in member) it automatically swipes your card that you were prompted to enter before the sign-in trouble starts. Everything happens so fast. You are charged before you have even glanced at prices, plans, and terms. Immediately, my card was charged $ 45.99. Upon objecting, I was told that it boldly stated it was a "special" that was clearly obvious and that I agreed to the terms. Finally, they say they are going to issue a refund minus a "non-refundable $14.99. How generous of these crooks!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

In December I had set up my IC Solutions account so that my brother could call me, it is now nearly March and I've yet to speak with him on the phone account that I still have the $25 on that I set it up with. Every time he tries to call I get a recording asking me if I want to accept a collect call press 5 so when I press 5 it then says that I am being transferred to a IC Solutions specialist so that I can set up a account! When I explain to the specialist the situation they pull up the account and see the $25 on it but have absolutely NO IDEA why it's not connecting and ask me if it's possible that I might have a block on my phone?? Umm... NO!

So then they say that they will but I'm a request for "whomever" to look into it and that it may take up to three days! I just don't understand what is so hard. I paid for a service from your company so just connect me! There was no issues at all when you took the money from me... Not one! So now you got paid and I can't even speak to my brother still after three months! Just move on to the next person and take their money! It's hard enough for families to have to miss and be without their loved ones so now you made it that we can't speak with them as well! Thank you IC Solutions! Karma's a **! Anyone thinking of using this "service" DON'T!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

This company is garbage. They took $50 without me even knowing it. I called for a refund and was told that I would only get $35 back. Then I get a phone call with a recording saying my phone is blocked. My brother has been in the Monmouth County jail in NJ for two weeks and we still can’t get calls from him. On top of that, you can only make a couple calls for $50? This place is ripping people off.

Global Tel*Link Company Information