3.58/5

575 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

This company is absolutely horrible. They charge a ridiculous fee to add money to an account. I know that 2 facilities in PA only use GTL for inmate calls so if you want to have calls from an inmate you have no other option and a forced to use these scamming thieves! An example of their ridiculous fee... You add $11 to your account. $3.36 is their ridiculous fee. And this ridiculous fee changes according to how much you add. THEN they charge a varying fee labeled as 3rd party financial transaction fee. WHAT AND WHO IS THE 3RD PARTY AND WHY AM I BEING CHARGED A DIFFERENT FEE FROM THAT FOR EVERY PAYMENT I MAKE? This is something they can't or won't answer. It's a TOTAL con to get more money in their pockets! They are stealing MILLIONS from people yet nothing is being done to investigate their shady business practices OR having their fees regulated.

Original review: July 15, 2019

Their link and showing up in top of search results is deceptive. They prey on people in distress and do not offer service they say or for facilities. It is terrible and then they stick you with 14.95 loss to cancel.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

They allow you to add more than one phone number to your account without any questions like who owns the number, what carrier it is linked to, when you last made a payment to the phone bill. If you want any balance refunded, they will ask you for all this personal info and refuse a refund if you don't have it. They end up stealing your money if you don't answer their questions correctly.

Original review: July 5, 2019

GTL IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF. They are liars and they steal money. I’ve made payments with my CC and the money has been taken out of my accounts but GTL denied the payments after the fact. I’ve called and waited on hold for an hour to just to speak with a rude agent and get no help! I had to scream at the agent just to get me over to a supervisor or manager, instead he transferred me to escalation department, who might I add couldn’t help me either. They just kept trying to throw it off on my bank, which my bank had already made me aware that it was on GTL’s side. I have been waiting on the hold they placed on my funds for well over a month now. It’s really horrible that the Indiana Department of Correction is using this business. It further proves that the system doesn’t give a care about those prisoners or their loved ones. I will never use this GTL crap again. Communication with my loved ones has now dwindled to just US mail.

Original review: June 28, 2019

REF: Virginia Department of Corrections (VADOC) Offender Telephone System and Global Tel Link, Corp, (GTL) DBA ConnectNetwork. Please help stop GTL from ripping off consumers with their dishonest and unjust business practices! Unknowing consumers are having their money stolen by GTL daily, they are not being notified that if an inmate does not place a call every 90 days; they will lose their money.

If a consumer wants to receive phone calls from an inmate, they are required by the VADOC and GTL to prepay, which I did and for what I thought to be about six (6) years worth of phone calls that I would expect to receive. I had not worried about overpaying, because GTL states that requests for refunds are processed within 30-60 days, and your account will not be closed. Nowhere or at any time are consumers informed that GTL will take all of their money if they do not receive a phone call every 90 days.

There are multiple reasons as to why an inmate would not be able to make a phone call every 90 days. In my case the VADOC and/or GTL changed the way inmate calls are charged, and without my knowledge, my GTL account was not being debited for calls for 90 days. My account was last debited on February 27, 2016, and on May 27, 2016, exactly 90 days later, GTL stole the remaining $121.48 for what they call “Expired Funds.”

I believe this seizure of money without notice to be unjust and in violation of the Virginia Unclaimed Property Act, §§55-210.1-55.210.30 of the Code of Virginia, and if not, there should be a law against this. For the sake of all consumers, I would like to know and hope that the dishonest business practices of GTL is being stopped, or at least that both the VADOC and GTL make it very clear that you will lose all of your money if you do not receive a phone call from an inmate through the GTL phone system at least once every 90 days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: June 18, 2019

Trying to get money from your account after the inmate is out of jail, is a complete joke. I made the first call for a refund 4/1/19, and today is 6/18/19. Really? You'd think it was a refund of a million dollars. For Pete's sake. It is $20.04. Also, the wait time any time of day that I have called is ridiculous. It's a shame this company really has a monopoly on phone services for inmates. I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO USE THEM AGAIN!!!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

Signed up for this service by mistake. They immediately took 45.99 from my bank account. I did not approve this and nowhere did they state signing up would cost this amount. I called shortly after signing up to cancel the account and was told they had no record of my account. Call for 3 days waiting on hold 6 min before being prompted to leave message. Never returned my call. When I finally got thru they said they would only refund $31 and 14.99 was for the cost of a code they sent me. It's bad enough to have to need inmate phone services. To then have a company scam you is disgusting. They should be reported to the Attorney General. Scamming consumers is a crime.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I was released on 4-3-19. The prison gave me a post card to send off to get my money back from my inmate phone account. It was suppose to be 2 weeks and now it's been almost 2 months. I still haven't received my money. Every time I contact this company they say they aren't the right company and they do not have me in their records. It sounds to me that ripping people off is a common theme with this company and hopefully something happens soon to put an end to this.

Original review: May 12, 2019

This is the WORST company I've ever dealt with. Every week it's something different. First of all, when I first had to use this company's services, I would try to make payments with my debit card. GTL would decline my payments and still take the funds off of my bank card. I've spent hours on the phone with them and Netspend trying to get my funds back into my account. And Netspend did inform me that the problem is on GTL's side and not theirs. I can't even tell you how many times this happened. So now I refuse to pay with my card anymore. So instead of driving a half hour to the jail, I saw that I could make payments at Weis through check free pay slip.

Yesterday I went and deposited the only money I have at Weis. I didn't see my funds appear on my account so I called and they said it will go on in 24 hours. Now it has been well over 24 hours and still nothing. I just called and now they are saying I have to wait 3-5 business days. Now I have no way of talking to my loved one. I wish I never had to deal with them again but I have to if I want to talk to my boyfriend. Very irritated and upset right now with this company!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

This company is horrible! This is the 2nd time they've screwed me out of the money that I deposited for the inmate. After calling and getting put on hold for over an hour, they resolve NOTHING and tell me to call back in 10 days. I've been dealing with this for months. I AM FURIOUS.

Original review: May 7, 2019

They offered me to make a payment via card or PayPal and I selected PayPal instead direct payment. They offered me 1000 minutes talk time but when I made them payment they send me 952 minutes. I spoke to the person who offered me this. He agreed to add 40 minutes to compensate me on first week of May but it never happened. They took money and after that they do not want to listen to you. In my experience they are in India and running business from there. They have very rude staff and they do not want to listen you. If you want to say something they will start abusing you. Be careful while making them payment. Make sure use PayPal or any other secure method to deal with them.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I’ve read most of the bad reviews and I was on the same boat last week. My prison pen pal wanted to speak to me and he told me to add minutes on my phone through Global Tel*Link, he didn’t specify and I assumed it would be .COM. Without notice they charged my card $46 for 3 months and I wasn’t really sure what I had paid for. I called them and they never picked up so I emailed them and they never responded. I did my research and found out it’s Global Tel .NET. I put minutes on my phone and was able to get calls. I get about 12 fifteen minute calls for $23 and our calls haven’t gotten dropped yet. As for Global Tel .COM I had my bank dispute the charge and I got a refund. Goodluck and make sure you only pay GLOBALTEL.NET. or connect network.

Original review: May 4, 2019

This company states on their website they help you stay connected to your inmate, not so, they will take your money and run. 30 emails, kept asking why the number doesn't work, They keep sending back the same canned "We are a legal company, yada, yada, yada", can't tell me why the phone number doesn't work and the only advice is I can use the $29.99 to send 50 cent post cards. If I don't like this then I should have read the website and the terms. There is nothing in the terms stating they would take your money and offer nothing in return. Run from this company, they are scammers.

Original review: April 20, 2019

This company is a scam!! Don’t do it! They take your money and the jail charges you as well. The online customer service gives you a runaround when you ask for your money back. I’ve gone back and forth with them with over 15 emails and still haven’t gotten my money back. The jail said that they don’t even use this company.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They do not deserve any stars. This company is a scam. They take your money and will never return your calls nor Address your question in email. Please do not give your money to this company. I have experienced all of the same things in the other complaint.

Original review: March 19, 2019

You would think the amount of money people spend on this app that they would make it usable for people. Billions of dollars on jail calls, and y’all can't even provide people with a easy to use-cheap app. Stop taking out so much money due to these “hidden fees” and charges. It’s ridiculous. I know price varies, but with the jail my man is in, it’s almost $3 for one 20 minute phone call... Just a RIP OFF. Especially because money always goes missing!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I thought I was just creating an account in order to get more information. But without any warning they billed me for three months of... of what? I'm still not certain what I was even billed for. I immediately asked them to refund the money, but they tell me they have to keep a big chunk of it for their 'processing fees.' As far as I can see, this is a scam. They are not offering a legitimate service.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I signed up for this service so I could receive calls from my son. I followed the directions in the email to activate the service and register my phone number and I missed two calls after I set it up. I contacted customer service to ask for a refund and they offered me the option to use their postcards. I declined. I needed to be able to speak with my son at the time I set it up. I advised them that their service didn't work, and I was never able to use it, therefore they should process a complete refund. They offered a partial refund of $31.99 which is not acceptable. I NEVER USED IT! I'm contacting my credit card company to dispute the charge. Shame on this company for taking advantage of people at a time when communication is crucial. Do not pay for this service. You will be disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

So my son in Calif state wants to talk to me, his mom. I followed the directions to set up the account so he could have phone minutes. When he calls the robo voice hangs up on me. I called a number to ask for help. I was told I didn't make a payment... Oh Yes I did and it's been processed thru my bank. Then I was told it won't recognize my number I submitted. It's our home phone. Same number for 30 years. Then I was told I have to have proof it's me and submit my phone billing records. Is this normal?? I am uncomfortable with sending that personal info over. Am I being paranoid?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I entered my credit card information on a site. Later found out I was on the wrong site. I was charged $45.99, but never got my full refund for the mistake I made. The site is very misleading, cause it ask for your information and never tell you it is gonna charge you for this site. I just wanted a refund. I was on the wrong site. This could happen to anyone. I shouldn't have to pay for something that wasn't my fault. Very Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have not been able to be able to press zero and receive calls from Vadoc prisons... I have a prepaid account so there no excuse. They keep saying they look into it yet nothing ever happens. This company is the worst and Vadoc needs to cancel their contract.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This company doesn't even deserve a star. They are scam artists. They prey on the poor and take advantage of people at a very vulnerable time in their lives. They charge a $15 cancellation fee. After you pay your loved ones still can't connect to you. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS COMPANY. They should not be allowed to get away with robbing people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Correctional facilities need to seriously review this company because they make it near on impossible for families to maintain contact with their loved ones. I have been going around in circles with GTL trying to add money to my account and it bounces back stating it is the wrong account number which it ISN'T! The account number was provided by this company and on several emails I have received from them. My bank even verified it, so really, what is going here?

It says something though when the company will only deal with international calls via email only AND it is impossible to reach them via social media also. I am sending a letter to the Governing bodies because correctional facilities state on many of their websites that they encourage inmates to maintain ties with family and friends. GTL aren't providing a suitable or efficient service and something needs to be addressed. Absolute useless service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I set up an account assuming I would be able to add money for a phone account. I was charged 45.99 without agreeing to being charged. I tried to call the number on the website but they said they were too busy to take my call. I left a voicemail which was never returned. I emailed them and they responded with I agreed to their terms which I did not. They said they would only refund 31.00. When I told them they were a scam and that I would be disputing charge with my bank they blocked me from being able to access their website. This company is a scam. Be very careful. Do not give them your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Today I made a phone call to the customer service in regards to a refund. As I was trying to explain to the customer service representative what my problem was he was very rude and not understating. He didn't really try to hear what the problem was and as I asked him if there was anyone I could speak to other than him he told me to hang up and call again. I already was on hold for 20 minutes and didn't see a point in waiting another 20 minutes just for someone to cancel the account I created. I then asked him what was his name and he said it was Clark but then again who knows.

I was not satisfied today even though it was my money to begin with. It's his job to listen to the customers and then assist, he did neither one. On top of that he didn't even close me out of the account which was his job. Clark was talking over me and trying to rush me off the phone. I hope no one has any encounters with this man because he doesn't understand what "Customer Service" really is or is about. I had spoken to another representative which was a young woman and she was very helpful and explained everything to me in a very welled manner but I didn't get her name.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Cannot add money to my account to send messages to my inmate. Used over 10 credits over 50 times on several different devices and browsers, and even over phone call and app. 100% declined. There is NOTHING wrong with my credit and debit cards, this site's payment processors are just garbage. I have to resort to video visits only with another website, thank GOD this site does not manage that function too. Totally unusable service with no support.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I put on over 200.00 on my son's account so I can email him and they tell me I hadn't put no money on his account and he kept saying I hadnt put no money on his account and threaten me and I know he messed up a mine and now my son has probs calling out to me and I know because I reported him trying to steals my son money on the account... I can't understand what they say or do they understand what they are doing?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was trying to add money to my phone for a family member to call me. I made the mistake and created an account with this fraud of a company. I did not need this service. I thought I was creating an account with a different global company, the direct company that the jail uses. I tried to delete the account right away but they do not give you that choice. They charged me almost 50 bucks and would not give me my money back. It was a God honest mistake. Now I am out almost 50 bucks for crap that I never wanted or used.

This is a joke and anyone willing to work for a company that is ok with taking money from a single mom that made a mistake is low life, lower than dirt. I have never and will never use this service and I tell everyone I know not to. And how are they saving you money when they charge 50 bucks just to set up an account? They are charging you more than you would have to pay. You have to all that to set up an account then you have to pay for the calls as well? How are you saving any money at all? You're not. Just people getting off of taking money from people. I am very unhappy and will never, even if it 60 bucks for a call ever use this scam!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

To ConnectNetwork GTL is a joke. They not only take more than a ridiculous amount of money for calls but they do not give refunds. They do not transfer funds to other numbers on your account and they do not do any kind of resolutions for any thing they've done wrong. They give you a runaround and tell you 7 to 10 business days. 30 business days later they open another ticket 'cause they accidentally closed your previous complaint. They're the biggest thieves and they should be incarcerated. They know that you can't do anything about it and that you're your only option. GTL ConnectNetwork sucks

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My son was incarcerated in York County jail and I need to communicate with him, we used this company GTL. The only one you can used there! They overcharged me more three times at day, I cancelled my bank card I reopened on your other banks and they still charged me and chase me, taking money without my authorization, they are thief and racist and criminals with license to steal your money. Please help other and filed a small claims against to these animals.

Global Tel*Link Company Information