3.61/5

567 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 12, 2019

This is the WORST company I've ever dealt with. Every week it's something different. First of all, when I first had to use this company's services, I would try to make payments with my debit card. GTL would decline my payments and still take the funds off of my bank card. I've spent hours on the phone with them and Netspend trying to get my funds back into my account. And Netspend did inform me that the problem is on GTL's side and not theirs. I can't even tell you how many times this happened. So now I refuse to pay with my card anymore. So instead of driving a half hour to the jail, I saw that I could make payments at Weis through check free pay slip.

Yesterday I went and deposited the only money I have at Weis. I didn't see my funds appear on my account so I called and they said it will go on in 24 hours. Now it has been well over 24 hours and still nothing. I just called and now they are saying I have to wait 3-5 business days. Now I have no way of talking to my loved one. I wish I never had to deal with them again but I have to if I want to talk to my boyfriend. Very irritated and upset right now with this company!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

This company is horrible! This is the 2nd time they've screwed me out of the money that I deposited for the inmate. After calling and getting put on hold for over an hour, they resolve NOTHING and tell me to call back in 10 days. I've been dealing with this for months. I AM FURIOUS.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

They offered me to make a payment via card or PayPal and I selected PayPal instead direct payment. They offered me 1000 minutes talk time but when I made them payment they send me 952 minutes. I spoke to the person who offered me this. He agreed to add 40 minutes to compensate me on first week of May but it never happened. They took money and after that they do not want to listen to you. In my experience they are in India and running business from there. They have very rude staff and they do not want to listen you. If you want to say something they will start abusing you. Be careful while making them payment. Make sure use PayPal or any other secure method to deal with them.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I’ve read most of the bad reviews and I was on the same boat last week. My prison pen pal wanted to speak to me and he told me to add minutes on my phone through Global Tel*Link, he didn’t specify and I assumed it would be .COM. Without notice they charged my card $46 for 3 months and I wasn’t really sure what I had paid for. I called them and they never picked up so I emailed them and they never responded. I did my research and found out it’s Global Tel .NET. I put minutes on my phone and was able to get calls. I get about 12 fifteen minute calls for $23 and our calls haven’t gotten dropped yet. As for Global Tel .COM I had my bank dispute the charge and I got a refund. Goodluck and make sure you only pay GLOBALTEL.NET. or connect network.

Original review: May 4, 2019

This company states on their website they help you stay connected to your inmate, not so, they will take your money and run. 30 emails, kept asking why the number doesn't work, They keep sending back the same canned "We are a legal company, yada, yada, yada", can't tell me why the phone number doesn't work and the only advice is I can use the $29.99 to send 50 cent post cards. If I don't like this then I should have read the website and the terms. There is nothing in the terms stating they would take your money and offer nothing in return. Run from this company, they are scammers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: April 20, 2019

This company is a scam!! Don’t do it! They take your money and the jail charges you as well. The online customer service gives you a runaround when you ask for your money back. I’ve gone back and forth with them with over 15 emails and still haven’t gotten my money back. The jail said that they don’t even use this company.

Original review: April 12, 2019

They do not deserve any stars. This company is a scam. They take your money and will never return your calls nor Address your question in email. Please do not give your money to this company. I have experienced all of the same things in the other complaint.

Original review: March 19, 2019

You would think the amount of money people spend on this app that they would make it usable for people. Billions of dollars on jail calls, and y’all can't even provide people with a easy to use-cheap app. Stop taking out so much money due to these “hidden fees” and charges. It’s ridiculous. I know price varies, but with the jail my man is in, it’s almost $3 for one 20 minute phone call... Just a RIP OFF. Especially because money always goes missing!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I thought I was just creating an account in order to get more information. But without any warning they billed me for three months of... of what? I'm still not certain what I was even billed for. I immediately asked them to refund the money, but they tell me they have to keep a big chunk of it for their 'processing fees.' As far as I can see, this is a scam. They are not offering a legitimate service.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I signed up for this service so I could receive calls from my son. I followed the directions in the email to activate the service and register my phone number and I missed two calls after I set it up. I contacted customer service to ask for a refund and they offered me the option to use their postcards. I declined. I needed to be able to speak with my son at the time I set it up. I advised them that their service didn't work, and I was never able to use it, therefore they should process a complete refund. They offered a partial refund of $31.99 which is not acceptable. I NEVER USED IT! I'm contacting my credit card company to dispute the charge. Shame on this company for taking advantage of people at a time when communication is crucial. Do not pay for this service. You will be disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

So my son in Calif state wants to talk to me, his mom. I followed the directions to set up the account so he could have phone minutes. When he calls the robo voice hangs up on me. I called a number to ask for help. I was told I didn't make a payment... Oh Yes I did and it's been processed thru my bank. Then I was told it won't recognize my number I submitted. It's our home phone. Same number for 30 years. Then I was told I have to have proof it's me and submit my phone billing records. Is this normal?? I am uncomfortable with sending that personal info over. Am I being paranoid?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I entered my credit card information on a site. Later found out I was on the wrong site. I was charged $45.99, but never got my full refund for the mistake I made. The site is very misleading, cause it ask for your information and never tell you it is gonna charge you for this site. I just wanted a refund. I was on the wrong site. This could happen to anyone. I shouldn't have to pay for something that wasn't my fault. Very Very dissatisfied.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have not been able to be able to press zero and receive calls from Vadoc prisons... I have a prepaid account so there no excuse. They keep saying they look into it yet nothing ever happens. This company is the worst and Vadoc needs to cancel their contract.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

This company doesn't even deserve a star. They are scam artists. They prey on the poor and take advantage of people at a very vulnerable time in their lives. They charge a $15 cancellation fee. After you pay your loved ones still can't connect to you. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS COMPANY. They should not be allowed to get away with robbing people.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Correctional facilities need to seriously review this company because they make it near on impossible for families to maintain contact with their loved ones. I have been going around in circles with GTL trying to add money to my account and it bounces back stating it is the wrong account number which it ISN'T! The account number was provided by this company and on several emails I have received from them. My bank even verified it, so really, what is going here?

It says something though when the company will only deal with international calls via email only AND it is impossible to reach them via social media also. I am sending a letter to the Governing bodies because correctional facilities state on many of their websites that they encourage inmates to maintain ties with family and friends. GTL aren't providing a suitable or efficient service and something needs to be addressed. Absolute useless service.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I set up an account assuming I would be able to add money for a phone account. I was charged 45.99 without agreeing to being charged. I tried to call the number on the website but they said they were too busy to take my call. I left a voicemail which was never returned. I emailed them and they responded with I agreed to their terms which I did not. They said they would only refund 31.00. When I told them they were a scam and that I would be disputing charge with my bank they blocked me from being able to access their website. This company is a scam. Be very careful. Do not give them your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Today I made a phone call to the customer service in regards to a refund. As I was trying to explain to the customer service representative what my problem was he was very rude and not understating. He didn't really try to hear what the problem was and as I asked him if there was anyone I could speak to other than him he told me to hang up and call again. I already was on hold for 20 minutes and didn't see a point in waiting another 20 minutes just for someone to cancel the account I created. I then asked him what was his name and he said it was Clark but then again who knows.

I was not satisfied today even though it was my money to begin with. It's his job to listen to the customers and then assist, he did neither one. On top of that he didn't even close me out of the account which was his job. Clark was talking over me and trying to rush me off the phone. I hope no one has any encounters with this man because he doesn't understand what "Customer Service" really is or is about. I had spoken to another representative which was a young woman and she was very helpful and explained everything to me in a very welled manner but I didn't get her name.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Cannot add money to my account to send messages to my inmate. Used over 10 credits over 50 times on several different devices and browsers, and even over phone call and app. 100% declined. There is NOTHING wrong with my credit and debit cards, this site's payment processors are just garbage. I have to resort to video visits only with another website, thank GOD this site does not manage that function too. Totally unusable service with no support.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I put on over 200.00 on my son's account so I can email him and they tell me I hadn't put no money on his account and he kept saying I hadnt put no money on his account and threaten me and I know he messed up a mine and now my son has probs calling out to me and I know because I reported him trying to steals my son money on the account... I can't understand what they say or do they understand what they are doing?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was trying to add money to my phone for a family member to call me. I made the mistake and created an account with this fraud of a company. I did not need this service. I thought I was creating an account with a different global company, the direct company that the jail uses. I tried to delete the account right away but they do not give you that choice. They charged me almost 50 bucks and would not give me my money back. It was a God honest mistake. Now I am out almost 50 bucks for crap that I never wanted or used.

This is a joke and anyone willing to work for a company that is ok with taking money from a single mom that made a mistake is low life, lower than dirt. I have never and will never use this service and I tell everyone I know not to. And how are they saving you money when they charge 50 bucks just to set up an account? They are charging you more than you would have to pay. You have to all that to set up an account then you have to pay for the calls as well? How are you saving any money at all? You're not. Just people getting off of taking money from people. I am very unhappy and will never, even if it 60 bucks for a call ever use this scam!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

To ConnectNetwork GTL is a joke. They not only take more than a ridiculous amount of money for calls but they do not give refunds. They do not transfer funds to other numbers on your account and they do not do any kind of resolutions for any thing they've done wrong. They give you a runaround and tell you 7 to 10 business days. 30 business days later they open another ticket 'cause they accidentally closed your previous complaint. They're the biggest thieves and they should be incarcerated. They know that you can't do anything about it and that you're your only option. GTL ConnectNetwork sucks

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My son was incarcerated in York County jail and I need to communicate with him, we used this company GTL. The only one you can used there! They overcharged me more three times at day, I cancelled my bank card I reopened on your other banks and they still charged me and chase me, taking money without my authorization, they are thief and racist and criminals with license to steal your money. Please help other and filed a small claims against to these animals.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've added money to my account for a family member to call. 3 different times now and the money has come out of my account within seconds. I still can't get a phone call to be allowed through. I call customer service and they said it was my provider, I call my provider they say it is nothing on their end so I call GTL back and they do nothing but give me the runaround. I ask for a refund and they tell me it will take 30 days for them to refund my money. This place is absolutely horrible. There needs to be legal actions taking against this company and what they are doing. Class action suit should be made for all those that are having similar issues.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This company is horrible! The customer service department is absolutely useless. I have been trying to add money to my account for days now. The money is taken from my account but then GTL voids and sends the money back. After numerous phone calls one customer service rep said that they have blocked my card but they can’t tell me why!! I am blocked from using any type of debit card and they have no idea why. This is absolutely BS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Was charged $26.28 for a 3 min phone call, should be $6.00 - I called customer service and they confirmed that I was being charged the amount for a 3 minute phone call and then it should have been $5.98 according to them but they could do nothing about it. Their customer service is useless.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

One star too many to be honest! My husband is incarcerated at the Men’s Complex in Santa Ana Ca, a month and a half and never once an issue with calls. Christmas Eve comes and now they decide to take my payment yet NOT give the minutes for ya to talk?! It’s Christmas and I can’t even take my husband's calls. I thought I was crazy so I kept trying to put money just for the same thing to happen! $100 later I STILL CAN'T SPEAK TO HIM! Do they have any idea that they are causing severe depression for my husband, myself and our children? Talking to each other is the only thing that keeps all of us going. AND ON CHRISTMAS??? I am sickened by all of this. A lawsuit is definitely underway. Too many people having the same issue I see.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Global Tel has been wonderful. Prices are way lower than they were in the past. I enjoy conversations with my boyfriend because I do not have to worry about the cost of them. Sometimes we talk up to 8 or 9 times a day on my days off. However, the phone will hang up by mistake If it believes you are making a 3 way call. Which I do not do. But overall it has improved!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

On December 11 2018 I deposited money on my son phone account. The money has not posted yet. A ticket has been filed to research my transaction. It is the holiday season. Really want to hear my son's voice. I've attempted to call 5 times to resolve my issue. All the representatives were very rude except 1. It's a coincidence they are removing the kiosk and now my money is missing. They said it could take several business days before they research my issue. Tried downloading the Gtl app. Was only able to conduct one transaction. Now I cannot log in. I am very disappointed with the way this company is handling issues.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I have a brother doing life in Michigan-City Ind. state prison. And was forced to start using JPay, for the past several years now. Charged $6.95 for every time I put money on his commissary, per their mandatory service. Video calls were horrible! I use to be able to send a Postal Money Order, with the cost of a stamp. Now we're told that "GTL", is the new and improved way to be "Legally Robbed"! Hmm? I do know of one thing that may help, not right away, but in the future, our our first right dot org!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

They'll charge you for messages that weren't sent/posted (their AI message censor won't approve your message, but your account will be debited 25 cents anyway). They'll charge you for photos that weren't approved/posted. They'll charge you for changing your profile picture. $0.25 for a 500 character message. I paid for over 500 messages between myself and the inmate but after she was sentenced and transferred (GettingOut lists her as "RELEASED") I have only 3 messages from her that I can view/save and mine are nowhere to be found.

I didn't know her new "FREE" tablet was 5 cents a minute and based on info from GTL's website thought it was a monthly subscription service. If she had watched Lord of the Rings it would have cost around $12 at $3 an hour (I'm not against profit or recouping the cost of providing free tablets, installing kiosks etc... but this is ridiculous. I could have bought her a Microsoft Surface Tablet with what it cost me in 2 months and Telmate would still have made a profit providing a music, movie, game subscription service.). She was stuck in a nightmare jail so to ease her boredom I went against my gut feeling and paid the price. Didn't know why she was calling me so often asking for money.

Do yourself a favor and communicate through regular USPS letters with your jailed loved one and save yourself from a very bad experience. They won't even delete or cancel my account when I asked them to, because I paid for everything - gave them my money - followed the rules - so that I could have the privilege of serving them instead of the other way around which is the normal service industry business model.

Global Tel*Link Company Information