1.15/5
  • 1 star
Based on 432 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

501 Global Tel*Link Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

While setting up the 90 service plan, I was kicked off with them saying the username was already taken. Next thing I know, the credit card was charged. It took 4 days and numerous emails (no one answered the phone number given) with the customer service reps sending my information that lead to a dead end every time. Finally I just asked the inmate to call the number I was given and it went right through. Then I received an email from them remarking that I was finally able to figure it out. I wrote back and stated I wish they would have just told me everything was working and fine now and it is sad no one knows what to do or how to check on the problem.

NOW when a call comes in from the prison, I am receiving a voice message that my funds are low and it has only been 14 days with about 4 to 6 calls. Again, I am going back and forth with Customer Service and again, they keep telling me I am doing it wrong. Yesterday I sent an email showing that I am using the number they issued to me and asked again to tell me why the voicemail is saying I am low on funds. Today I received an email message that they looked and I am using the number so they don't know what the problem is. It is hopeless to get anything done with this Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I deposited money to the inmate trust fund using GTL for an inmate in Ventura County Jail. He never received the money. I called customer service and emailed them and they have yet to do anything. I would like to start a class action lawsuit against the company. If anyone is interested please contact me. I kept records of my transactions.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Does not even deserve 1 star!!! Most forms that you fill out on the internet will require you to check the box that you have read their terms and conditions before they accept your application. I never even saw a box to check. When I went back, I noticed that there was indeed a box, but it was automatically checked. I was just trying to inquire about the service and was not warned that my credit card would be charged immediately. When I called to have it credited, I was told that it would be credited minus $9.99, as per their policy. So I lost $10 for nothing! And I called within less than 5 minutes after it was charged. And it was not even the company I wanted to use! They are very deceiving with how they advertise and how they operate. They stole $10 from me! Do not use this company! They are a fraud!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I use to think Verizon had the world’s worst customer service until I called here to try and give them money actually. Wow, yeah actually pay them to treat me like an idiot. The person on the phone rumbled their name so bad you couldn't even make it out first off. When asking to speak to his supervisor because he had zero clue what was going on, he blew me off. All around worst service I've come across, if you can find another way to pre-pay your phone do it by all means because giving this company even 1¢ is way too much. They don't deserve it at all.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Global Tel Link or Gtl has been telling me that my refund was issued. I have not got my refund in over 3 months. This is the second time that I requested a refund. The first time they told me it would take 30 (yes 30 business days) not regular days. After waiting 30 business days I called them back. I was told that the refund has been issued over a week ago. After calling them back, they told me that I would have to send them my bank statement to assure them that I didn't get the money yet. I told them I would have to be an idiot to send them a copy of my personal banking information. They said that is the only way to make sure I didn't have the money yet. I kindly told them to keep the money and that I would not be doing any business with them again. I don't know if there is any other way to make calls but if you can, make small deposits or avoid this company by any means.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Global Tel*Link?

Original review: July 25, 2017

When I try to add money to my account they tell me that my card isn't accepted only to still take the money from my card. When I call to tell them that the money was taken they say give it 2-3 business days and they'll put the money back on my card. But they never do. They are complete frauds that steal your money with horrible customer service. If I could give no stars I would. Global Tel Link is a disgusting company. BEWARE!!!

Original review: July 22, 2017

I have a loved one in Manassas VA jail. I received first 3 free calls they normally give inmates. NOT ONE CALL GAVE ME THE OPTION TO ANSWER. The inmate lost all 3 free calls. But during the calls the automated systems stated to select an option to setup an account. So is this a sales maneuver? Why not just let us have an option to answer one of the free calls? So after 3 unanswerable calls... you must call Global Tel*Link to pay for minutes for inmate... service fee of 4.**,... and on top of that each call the inmate makes is taxed. By the time you put 10.00 on the account... the inmate will maybe have 3.00 to make calls with.

IMPORTANT! When you pay on the account the automated system takes your card info but never discloses to you THE TOTAL AMOUNT you're about to pay. So you don't know how much the inmate will be able to have access to until after transaction. When you see how much was charged and request a refund due to their nondisclosure... Global Tel*Link will take 30 days to refund you your money. Why? It's 2017. Electronically you can put the money back. It will take 30 days for the company greed to subside.

Original review: June 29, 2017

So, my brother is in jail at the moment. He told me to make an account so he can call me and my parents faster, and so I did. 2 days ago I made a GTL account, I added $30 on my account for advance pay phone service. My brother tried to call me several time starting from yesterday, every time that happened an Automated Advance payment phone number will call me stating that someone from a facility tried to call me but couldn't get through due to "Billing problems". I am confused because on my account, there is $30. I do feel like I am being ripped off. I sent an email form yesterday to GTL, they said they will get back to me shortly.

Now it's tomorrow, I CALLED AND WAITED FOR A SOLID 30 MINUTES TO SPEAK TO A REPRESENTATIVE, AND NO ONE BOTHERED TO ANSWER! I am beyond pissed because there is no way I will be able to get my $30 back. This is so urgent, and customer service wouldn't pick up the phone! I wish I could leave it at NO STARS, GTL does not deserve any stars at all!

Original review: May 26, 2017

I've been using their services for 4 months now and calls would drop after 4-5 mins of talking and they would charge for the whole 20 mins. When I call customer service they have horrible customer service skills, they speak like they didn't graduate the 4th grade and they LIE. They say the same scripted thing every time and tell you there is no way they can help. I asked them to mail me my call log and they said they will... haven't received one yet. Now, going on 5 months, my payment for GTL calls is $325!!! I've been making the same amount of calls a month for the past 4 months and my account has always been under $150. Not it's $325!!! They are crooks!! I'm joining the FB group mentioned for a class action suite as well. I've been keeping track of minutes and recording phones calls for the past few months. Thieves!!!! These guys are about to go down.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I paid $50.00 to have funds put on my husband's inmate phone account ($47.00 for phone service and $3.00 for service fee). GTL assured me that they received payment, yet my husband DID NOT receive this money. GTL further informed me that if I filed a dispute with VISA they would forever ban me from using phone services from GTL to any inmate. I will be forwarding all information and resolution to the Governor of the State of South Dakota and the Warden at Mike Durfee State Prison. There are other people who have lost money with GTL and were told they were out of luck, that if they disputed their loss that they would also be banned from ever purchasing funds for their loved ones phone access.

I paid GTL in good faith for services they didn't provide. GTL admitted they received the funds, and I verified that they were indeed taken from my bank account, yet GTL did not forward the money to my husband's inmate phone account so he could make calls to family and friends. GTL advised me that this wasn't their problem. Although, I can afford to "lose" the $50.00, I know several other people who have loved ones serving time that can't afford this loss. One woman lost $30.00 the same day I lost my $50.00. She struggles to come up with money to speak to her husband, and this was a major blow to their family emotionally.

Original review: May 11, 2017

I signed up for an account. I paid for calls. When the calls came in there was no way to answer. I was given an option to buy 15 minutes of time for 10 dollars. I even tried paying this extra fee but it didn't work. This happened several times before I finally gave up and called the customer service where I prepaid. They told me there was a block placed on my account because someone had called them. They were very vague about who. They told me the date this occurred. It was the same day I paid for service. The agent began raising his voice as I asked to clarify how to prevent this from happening again. I don't believe there's an alternative company to be able to call my brother but I think this company has made a mistake placing a block rather than starting my service. They will not take responsibility, attempted to blame me for this. If anyone can read this and can do something I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Original review: May 6, 2017

My son is in prison and when it was time to set up phone calls I went to reviews about GTL and what I read was terrible. Honestly, I don't think I read one good review. Consequently, I did not set up phone contact for several years. Resulting in shoe boxes full of letters. I opened a prepay account with GTL and to my surprise it was easy, affordable, and I can deposit from $1 to $100 and there is no charge to do so.

I'm not sure what it amounts to per minute or per call. I pay $50 a month and Johnny calls several times a week. Some days he calls several times a day. GTL has been great for me. Never a hassle. Never a delay in funds being added to my account. The one thing anyone considering using GTL, don't pay any offers of paying less by signing up with someone else and paying $30 extra for a service you don't need. Call GTL. The call handlers are very nice and so helpful. Please don't do what I did and not set up contact to your loved one. GTL IS GREAT.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Too expensive compared to other companies, then sometimes get charged for not even completing a call or if you don't get to answer money still gets took away. Overall it's just horrible and a waste of money sadly.

Original review: April 29, 2017

So I have spent 100 of dollars with these people only to talk to my loved one who's incarcerated. Only for these people to take my money then be told there's nothing they can do. They are not fair listed. They took money from my account and didn't apply my phone credit.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Global Tel Link is ridiculous with number of ways they find to rip you off of the money you put on your account. I would like to start or join a class action suit. I can be found on Facebook under Beth **. Please feel free to message me with any information to get this going.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Ok so on my account that I have to log in with a USERNAME and PASSWORD. I had 2 different numbers on there that had money on them that I wanted transferred to my present number. The first number was my boyfriend's dad's number in which I had deposited money on there so they could talk. And the other number was a previous number of mine. His dad's number had $7.07 on it that I wanted to transfer to my present number. So I went on the website and transferred it on March 9th... It's been weeks and still hasn't shown up on my new number. So I call customer service to ask about this. They say to me, "since you don't own that number, you don't have the permission to transfer that money." The person who owns that number (my boyfriend's father) has to call and say he wants it transferred.

This angered me because why does it matter if it's his number? It's on my ConnectNetwork account that I have to log in to? I deposited the money, not his dad!!! Okay so then I move on from that and I ask the guy if I could please transfer the $10.00 that was on the other number to my present number. He makes me confirm my address and the last 4 digits of the card I used to make the deposit... I confirm with him. He says okay the amount of 10.00 will be transferred and then I tell him, "Ok and then can you please just close that account as that number is no longer in service." Well this was last Thursday and I still don't see that the $10.00 has been transferred but I do see that they closed the account for that number. Just very frustrating. Where is my money!!!

Original review: April 3, 2017

I have a friend who is incarcerated in an US correction facility and since they have changed their service provider from JPay to GTL there hasn't been nothing but issues. I live in Europe and GTL will NOT accept foreign credit cards like visa and master card so I have to communicate with advanced pay on email and this woman is so rude to me!!! Their homepage is so old fashioned and don't take foreign credit cards. So I ask this woman how to trust fund my friend and this I can't do. I am only allowed to put money on my phone so GTL can make money on me!!! It's so frustrating. I sure hope no one from Europe are friends with incarcerated people in the states who changed from JPay (very good btw) to GTL!!! It's the most rude company I have ever experienced!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Canceled this account over a year ago. I've had to file multiple complaints with my bank. Now they have had to issue me a new card as I keep getting billed. They also use the name GLOBALTELL LLC and SECURUSTECH LLC to charge the same amount. Sometimes twice in the same day. Always the same amount, $34.18, but sometimes different names. Check your credit card account closely for these charges.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I recently tried to add funds to my account so that I could speak with my loved one in the local jail. Their website was not working for a few days so I finally downloaded their app and tried to add funds that way. I initiated the payment and TWICE received a "request timed out" message. On the third attempt, the payment went through. I checked my bank account and sure enough GTL had charged me three times!!

I called the company where the customer service representative admitted they were having network issues. When I asked for a refund on two of the three payments, they informed me that I could not do that without closing the account entirely, which means my loved one would not be able to call me at all. I stated that for me... it was okay to have been charged, it didn't overdraft my account and it isn't going to cause me to not be able to afford bills but for so many people, I know their reality is different.

This company is criminal through and through. Stealing people's money while trying to say they offer services. YOU MAKE MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE'S WORST AND LOWEST MOMENTS! I told the representative that I hoped they paid him well because he works for a criminal enterprise where he then referred to me using a curse word and hung up. THANKFULLY I contacted my bank who reached out to this company themselves, filed a complaint with the BBB and have started the refund process on their own. Shame on you GTL... shame shame shame. I don't know how your leaders sleep at night knowing the harm your company causes. Lower than cockroaches.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I paid $74 on 11/16 to be able to speak to my son in jail. He has yet to get through on my phone. I disputed the charge and they had the nerve to contest my dispute stating I received services! Never! Nothing! I will get my money back. And a class action suit is in order for this group. I have noticed several are interested in joining. It is not the amount of money. don't care if you paid $5. It is the corruption and dishonesty that is running amok. My ultimate goal is dissolve the company so they can no longer commit fraud.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

They charge an arm and a leg for phone calls only to have their cheap and malfunctioning automated system kill the call saying it wasn't accepted but yet I wasn't the one who called! I have documented evidence that I am not the only one this is happening to. Every time I call in, I have to wait on hold just to get a very rude so called "customer service rep" on the phone to reset my account. They point the finger at a cell phone company and tell me to get a land line. Well, I got news for them. Land lines do the same crap and why should I have to go through the expense of installing a land line AND pay the asinine prices they charge for calls.

No other company I do business with that has an automated system has any issues with my phone or service. These include my bank, my mortgage company, my electric company, my cable company. These people prey on the families of loved ones who are incarcerated and put these stupid little disclaimers about how they can't guarantee call quality, and cell phones are at own risk. **! It's another excuse to not fix their malfunctioning system! I am going to every media outlet I can find with this and am consulting an attorney. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

Today while talking to my friend in a local jail we were disconnected not once but twice. The system stated that the call was being terminated due to three way calling. I do not use three way calling period. Then I proceed to call to complain and the automated services tells me to press the 1 if I am a family member or friend. I do so and it tells me that I made the wrong selection over and over again. I feel that this is really ridiculous. This is the only way we can stay connected to our loved ones, family and friends. Something needs to be do and these issues resolve!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

I registered with GTL. The first call I got cost me $16 for ten minute call 35 miles away same area code. Completely dishonest and thievery. I deposited $20 dollars on account, have received two calls and account is empty, tell me that isn't a thief, and when you try to contact someone all you get is recorded answers and says "you are in a queue" to talk to someone then a message comes on and says ring back as there is too big a wait time then you are terminated. This is a dishonest and disgusting thieving company. Only hope you have a friend inside and are trying to contact.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

This company steals money from inmates families but charging 3.00 to add money to the account and then charge anywhere from 0.22-0.32 in tax per call along with the 0.05 cents per minute. After adding all of that up from my last deposit I still was $6.66 short from the calls that was received. Instead of customer service trying to fix the situation one guy named Sergio told me that I'm not right and that I used all of my minutes. He also threatened to hang up, so I asked to speak to a supervisor whom never came to the phone. So I called back and spoke with a different representative whom did not want to go through the calls and hung up on me after he asked me do I have a calculator. It's horrible how they steal from you and refuse to give the consumer their money back.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

So I put money on my phone account December 8 so I could receive prepaid calls from the correctional facility. GTL put the funds on wrong account Called GTL on December 10th because I could not receive calls from the facility due to NO funds. Said they would have my account correct in 24-72 hours. Called again December 14, they still haven't fixed problem. Today December 18th still can't receive calls. They told me to call back tomorrow. They charge a service fee when you put funds on. Asked for fee back due to the kind of service I haven't received, can't receive calls and won't compensate in any way. Very poor service from GTL.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

I have never used Global-Tel services. I used Global-Tel link services and put $25 on to receive collect calls from jail. I only used it to receive one collect call and was done. I didn't accept any other collect calls. I should still have a balance owed to me from Global-Tel link. Now, if you noticed there is Global-Tel and Global-Tel link. They say they are separate companies. Although, somehow, unbeknownst to me Global-Tel started taking $29.99 out of my account using my bank debit card! If Global-Tel link claims they are separate from Global-Tel, then how in the world did Global-Tel get my bank card info? Either way I Never authorized anyone to take monthly charges out of my account!

In total Global-Tel took out 89.97 from my account. Because of that I incurred NSF fees with my Bank! I find this debacle Completely Unethical!! I simply put $25 on my phone with Global-Tel link not even expecting to use it all, so why would I say it was ok to take out $29.99 a month? I believe the whole thing was a scam to begin with! Shame on these 2 companies working together to take money from Good People who are pretty much clueless to this Collect phone call industry!! I truly hope someone looks into this problem so it doesn't happen to anyone else!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

I have been a user of Global Tel*Link for approximately 7 months now. Believe me if there were another company that could be used I would jump all over it. Global Tel*Link has the lousiest customer service I have ever encountered. I recently deposited money onto the wrong phone number, since both numbers are on my account I assumed that the funds could be transferred internally to my other telephone account. I was told that they only provide that service one time, in the same breath the representative said that they could not transfer the funds that they could only be refunded which takes 30 business days. In all my life of doing business with thousands of companies I have never heard of a company holding your money for a period of 30 business days. This is totally unethical and I am seriously considering trying to band a few Global Tel*Link customers together to see if we have grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I have been using GTL for five years. One day they charged my card and twice and never funded my account, in order for me to received calls. I called into GTL, hoping they can fix the problem. They didn't, so I had to call my bank for a dispute. When I tried to add funds, it wasn't taking my payment. To make a long story short, the teller explained, I am no longer able to use their company due to my dispute. I have to use Western Union. Tried using Western Union, that wasn't going through for some odd reason of GLT. Call back into GTL, for 8 time in one night. The last representative directed me to another site.

I have been using Inmate Connect Network for 3 months. No issues. Now months late, I tried to add my funds the website rejected it, but yet I was fully charged, but my funds still said 94 cents. I called into the Inmate Connect Network, which in UNDER GTL SERVICES, he stated the dispute that I had 3 months ago kicked me out of the system. I explained, I have been using this service for months without a issue, now today they stopped me from using it, for a situation that was their system's fault. Now I am unable to get calls from my love ones.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

There are 2 phone services used by Marion County Jail. Both are terrible!! Very confusing - globaltell.com and globaltel.inc - both (GTL) -very costly and hard to contact (even when I got a phone number and called only a recording came on no real person). Both deny existence of the other. When inmate calls the service interrupts continually trying to have added services put on account. The charge is $0.26 a minute plus the connection fee which varies up $5.95 per call. (Not many calls can be made at those prices!) Then they charge another $5.95 each time to add money to the account. It is a rack sanctioned by the government. Very misleading names and taking advantage of the families of the inmates - not everyone has an unlimited amount of money to stay in contact with their inmate.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I use Global Tel Link to stay in contact with my husband at the Indiana Department of Corrections - Pendleton. Over the last few months our calls have been getting disconnected around the fifteen minute mark, meaning he has to call me back and we have to go through the whole process again. I have called to complain to no avail. I keep getting told that I can't get credit which I did not ask for. Today I was told that no call over five minutes would be researched. If anyone else is experiencing this issue please get in contact with me. My next call is to FCC.

Global Tel*Link Company Information