1.84/5
  • 1 star
Based on 187 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Adorama Camera

More Than a Camera Store Adorama Camera has been providing services and products in Imaging - and Beyond, since 1975.

We have on hand an incredible staff team of experts who are anxious to share with, and learn from, our customers. We’ve earned our reputation for exceptional service and integrity - one interaction, one sale, one gem of advice and one respected customer at a time.

We shop long and hard and thoughtfully to make your shopping experience a wide-angled panorama of the very best in photographic/visual gear. Smart buying on our part means savvy saving on your part. At Adorama, we pride ourselves on keeping the cost of remarkable photography remarkably low by constantly comparing and competing to keep our shelves stocked with the best equipment at the best prices.

Whether you’re looking to add the latest gear to your bag, enhance your visual experience or just share a camera-friendly word with people who care — welcome to Adorama.

We love photography. We love the art and science and passion of photography. We love the photographers, both well-known and well-intentioned, who create works both famously and anonymously great.

Our store brings it all together — a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling photographic overload (take your time, you could get a bit lightheaded!). Experience the very latest, the proven workhorses, the must-haves, the smart add-ons and the unexpected surprises.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

196 Adorama Camera Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I am based in Toronto, Canada. Recently, I have bought a used Sony mirrorless camera + lenses that goes with it. My honest experienced in ordering from them was very good if not excellent... Just wondering why so many negative reviews about them. Like I said, ordered so many "used items" from them... Camera (a6300) + Sony lenses... it came as described... used E+. Definitely, I will order again from them... given the choice of other camera stores in US.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Adorama is not a serious business partner. I ordered stuff on 10/4/2017. I checked the status today, on 10/11/2017. They will ship it on 10/16/2017. I wanted to cancel it, but they refused to do so. Since I need the stuff for an installation on Saturday, I just ordered it on Amazon, with expected delivery on 10/13/2017. It is pathetic if you ask me. It takes 12 days to get a product from warehouse to UPS truck.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Before I start, it's worth noting that there's blame on all three companies involved and I'm not 100% sure who to be the angriest at. Rakuten and Adorama just keep pointing their fingers at each other but UPS is the one who delivered to the wrong person. I ordered a Wacom drawing tablet via Rakuten.com from Adorama on the 31st of August with promised delivery on the 1st (the next day). The 1st, 2nd and 3rd came and went and on the 4th I got an email saying it'd be here the 11th instead from UPS. Whatever, next day delivery seemed too good to be true anyways.

Some time around the 4th about $275 (the total) was added to my bank account, it was taken out again 3 days later on the 7th. Then it happened a second time between the 9th and the 11th. There were no warnings or any kind of notification when that was happening, I just had to watch my account balance fluctuate. I talked to my bank and I don't think it was an error on their end. I tried to reach out to Rakuten about it and they told me to contact the seller, Adorama, who told me to contact Rakuten. Frustrated I hung up and decided to wait for the tablet. When the 11th came around UPS said it was "Delivered to Customer Woman". I'm a guy and I know my girlfriend didn't sign for it so it was probably left with the wrong person. After 3 days of checking the leasing office, we're sure it's not on the complex, nor is it at my old apartment or billing address.

I filed a lost package claim with UPS on the 16th who said I should also contact the seller. They told me the investigation would take 10 business days as of the 16th. On the 18th I checked Rakuten to see my order information, they said "all orders before Sept 13 are hidden". I had to call Rakuten and navigate their automated menu until I got put on the line with an actual person who gave me the phone number and connected me to their line. He asked me to stay on the line for them to pick up but I hung up and called the number myself after 10 minutes of waiting.

Once I got past the buggy Adorama phone system (the buttons straight up stop working sometimes and you stay on the same menu) I got through to customer service in about 5 minutes (It's faster to call them directly if you need to) who told me that they had to submit their own UPS ticket and wait up to 10 days to do their own investigation. Today, the 25th, I called UPS who told me that they'd only be contacting the seller until everything has been worked out and that they still have 3 days to run their investigation. After going through the whole rigmarole of their phone system, they told me that the investigation could take anywhere from 10- 15 business days from the day they submit their ticket, which they said was the 19th (even though I called the 18th).

It's now been 25 days without any update that I didn't personally seek out myself. The only time I was contacted was for the original receipt and by Rakuten on Sept 20th asking me to review a product they knew I never received. The link to the review was broken. At this point I either want a refund or the tablet but I can't have either until the investigations are done. Until then I'm a college student who's just out almost $300 who is renting tablets to do his homework. I see a place for me to add images of the tablet for review but seeing as I never even got it, here's a picture of my desk where the tablet would have gone had I actually received it.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I ordered a battery with 2 day delivery. After UPS told them that they lost it they still have yet to send me a replacement. This is one month and counting. They promised me updates every two weeks and I have yet to receive one. They claim they can't send a replacement until UPS finds the other package.

Adorama Camera response

Hi Jake

UPS have finally agreed that the package is lost and have advised us we can refund or replace your battery.

Please email me if you need assistance with this.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Helen@adorama.com

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I purchased lamp. Didn't use that much. When I wanted to use it, it didn't work. I called the Adorama and they said it was past its warranty. To call the manufacturer. After a week of leaving messages the manufacturer called me back. I said maybe it needs a lamp. They gave me the part number and I purchased a bulb. The bulb was not the problem. Manufacturer did say they would replace it if it wasn't the bulb. Well I've called for over a week left messages and no one returns my call. I called back Adorama and told them of my frustrations and they said they would contact manufacturer and call me back. That's been over 48 hours and I still haven't heard back. I want to use the lamp but now I don't want it at all. If you purchase from Adorama and have a problem with the product you purchase you will not be compensated. So Now what do I do with a product that doesn't work and is covered by the manufacturer?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Adorama Camera?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I placed an order for a $30.00 pair of binoculars which said on the page ordered from shipping was free, but when the order went through it included a $5.00 shipping charge. I contacted their customer service and told them of this but they said that the item I bought didn't qualify for free shipping and they wouldn't refund the shipping charge. It was on the page for that item that it expressly said shipping was free so they are effectively stealing my $5.00 under false pretenses.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I bought a Canon camera from Adorama Camera store. Adorama advertised the camera as not being a used camera. I spent about $1000.00 for the DSLR camera. Thank goodness I have good vision up close. When I opened the package I immediately could see that the camera was used and abused. There were nicks and scratches on the camera on the glass part of the view finder and elsewhere all over the camera. It even had dirt on it. I was horrified. I took the camera to a reputable store that actually carried new cameras (Best Buy) & Best Buy was very helpful and reputable. Not only was the Adorama camera very withered but the new camera lens from Best Buy would not go on the abused Canon camera that Adorama sold me!

Do not buy from Adorama camera. I wonder how many used cameras they have sold as new? I have good vision up close and many people do not. My other used camera that I have had for over 15 years was in much better condition than what Adorama sold me. Thank goodness that Paypal is a very reputable company and helped me get my money back.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I purchased a Pen-F camera that I was having an issue with. Adorama's customer service rep. Helen ** was so very kind in her assistance, following up with me, asking me how things are with the camera, answering all my questions. I felt she just went more than that extra mile to assist me. A customer service representative is the only link you have regarding the product and the company you purchased it from, and knowing that there is someone there that mediates for you, especially in a kind and caring fashion is very reassuring. Helen ** is that customer service representative. She even went to the trouble of searching information that might help me with the issue I was having. I have never had that kind of help before with a service rep in any company.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I ordered a lens and I promised it would be shipped out as soon they get them in. I called their so called customer support... Bad would be an UNDERSTATEMENT. THEY HUNG UP THE PHONE ON ME... THIS COMPANY SUCKS... BAD SERVICE... I ask that my account to be deleted. I do not want to do business with them anymore. Good bye forever.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Almost impossible to speak with someone in their office. Bought a new laptop that they shipped in a box 4x too big with no padding. The box is destroyed when UPS left off. They said not their problem, call UPS. Need new laptop to take on vacation. Don't have time for UPS and them to sort it all out. People in Philippines (call center) know of my problems but not NY.

Original review: June 29, 2017

First off, I definitely cannot understand so many negative reviews, as my experience with Adorama has been nothing but positive. First purchase was an iFi iCAN Pro amp that was on sale for $1299. It arrived extremely fast with tracking, brand new with no issues. One week later, I was notified via head-fi.com that Adorama was offering a combo of the iCAN amp with the Audeze LCD-4 headphones for the same price ($3995) as the LCD-4's alone. I called up Adorama, and they immediately discounted $1299 off the price of a new pair of LCD-4's for a total of $2696. I was amazed at their customer service. My third purchase was for a 7.1 setup of Polk LSiM speakers at an extreme discount during a 1-day sale. The speakers arrived fast & in perfect condition, and I saved $4900 off the retail price from an authorized vendor. I'll definitely buy from them again.

Original review: June 21, 2017

AWFUL. I purchased something for my boyfriend, an iPhone 4 in 1 fisheye lens set. After looking over what this company offered, I dropped 80 dollars, with 3 day UPS shipping. I awaited my email, and decided to check on the order. When I looked at the details, it said my item was on backorder. I then got in contact with their online customer service and asked about how long it takes for an item to be shipped out when on backorder. She informed me it should ship out in 1-2 business days. Well time passed and still no update on what I ordered, I looked again and it still said on backorder. I used the online customer service again and spoke with someone new. He then informed me that they didn't have the item in stock at their store, but would get the manufacturer to directly send it to me, so then I wouldn't have to wait for them to receive it, then send it out to me.

Happy with this I said "okay I would appreciate if we did that." He said he would get back to me in 1-2 business days. That felt a little shady to me so I decided to go back and look at my product I had purchased just to see all I was getting. The product then said ITEM NO LONGER AVAILABLE. It did not even have it as an option to buy anymore. I called customer service, and someone named George, a woman, informed me that yes they no longer are selling that item, and the manufacturer is no longer making it either. I was FURIOUS. At the time I purchased it, the product said in stock. As soon as I gave my information, the product went on backorder and I kept being told wait 1-2 business days. I was never going to receive an email stating what I had ordered wasn't available at all. I am very disappointed.

This was supposed to be a surprise after he broke his, and it is hard to find this exact one, because the ones they make now are for the newer iPhones, and they have changed. The woman didn't even seem to care, and I am just curious, if I hadn't have pushed the subject, would I never have received anything? Don't waste your time. After doing more research you see they have more complaints than compliments. But because people don't look before purchasing, they end up being screwed over. Awful company, needs to be put out of business.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Bought a 2T hard drive and it arrived in an envelope without any padding. The box has an open face so you can see the hard drive - which means something could strike it. Person at the post office recognized it as coming from a camera store and said: "Boy, there's not much padding." Indeed, there was no padding. Tried to "chat" with somebody at Adorama and gave up after being stuff at "two minutes and 44 seconds" for about 10 minutes. So, now I could send it back - which means my work project is delayed - or I can just hope it won't fail.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Ordered an SSD with 4-6 business days for shipping. On day two, tracking said it was going to arrive on day four, which was fantastic - and then it stopped updating and wasn't delivered. Contacted on Friday asking about the lack of tracking, mentioning there might be an error, just got a canned, "We're in the shipping window, please wait." Contacted Monday (day six) after mail had been delivered with no package, got the same canned response, even though mail had ALREADY ARRIVED, and they also tried lying to my face and said that I had selected 7-10 days, until I called them on it and showed I had in writing from them 4-6.

End of day arrives, surprise surprise, no package. I call again, and only THEN does the person actually check anything and say, "Oh, there was an error with your tracking number, it was impossible for you to receive." Offered either a reshipment or a refund, I went with refund. We'll see if it actually comes through. I am never, EVER shopping at Adorama again, and I highly recommend nobody else does, either. They've refused to even glance at an issue, do not provide customer satisfaction, and have attempted openly lying to my face.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Adorama Camera is very bad with customer service. Shipped incomplete order and took 10 phone calls and then they said they don't have it. Then offered a credit. Rejected that offer. They are disorganized. False advertising. No excuses.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I submitted a request for a used lens buying guide (what to look for) when I discovered a link in an old Nikonians post. Helen **, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador, was very quick to reply and generous in digging this document up for me. A true photography community member... sharing and caring!

Original review: April 25, 2017

Helen is the best! Helen helped me a lot, was very kind and answered very quickly. Without their help, I probably would not have been able to complete my purchase on time. No doubt I would deal with her again in the future. Thank you very much Helen!

Original review: April 4, 2017

After having some issues with misunderstandings and "dropping the ball" a few times, I contacted Helen **, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador. Helen handled my problem without hesitation and took care of me right away. I need to give credit where credit is due, Helen, you're the greatest. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

This was my first time buying from Adorama and it will be the last one. I ordered some screws for my camera on December 27, the screws are marked as "In Stock". After a month and multiple complaints I finally receive the package on the mail, just to learn that they sent the wrong item. I asked for a shipping label to send the stuff back and a refund of my money. I was told they were going to open an "investigation" as if it was my fault. It's February the 3rd today and I haven't received my money back. I don't even know if I'm going to get my money back or if they are going to try another dirty trick to keep my money. Shame on you Adorama. This guys are thieves and they should not be in business.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Bought an expensive Canon Lens with a package deal only offered by Adorama. The price of the lens was on sale with an instant rebate. Everyone was selling this popular lens at this sales price but only until the end of the year. I picked Adorama only because they had the lens with a package where you got a tripod for free as a bonus, so why not. Well I got the shipping notice that my stuff was ALL on its way. However, only the tripod showed up. I then had to log into Adorama to research what happened to find I got refunded for all of my purchase including the on sale Lens minus about $25. It doesn't say why. The tripod was worth more than that.

What upsets me is that NOW the lens is not for sale anywhere and will cost me an extra $150. The Canon rebate period is also over. So now I have a tripod I really did want and should have been free, but cost me $25 plus now the extra cost of getting the lens after the instant rebate or Canon rebate period. They are still selling this exact same package for more money. So the lens was in stock. Is this some sort of rebate scam where they are getting rebates and never selling the product? They never emailed me to tell me of my refund or I would have purchased somewhere else for the same price while it was still on sale. They did this on Dec 31 the end of the Canon rebate. Interesting.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Purchased a used 400-CD/DVD changer for $54 plus $21.75 shipping. Their website says all merchandise is checked to see it's working before it leaves the store. Well, nobody checked this one. Didn't work from the moment I plugged it in. Door wouldn't open half the time, turntable made horrible screeching noise and CDs wouldn't play. Of course, I could return the item, packing it up, schlepping it to the PO, where, of course, I'd have to pay return shipping, which would give me a grand total of $10.50 for a refund. Please save yourself much frustration - and money - and don't deal with this rip-off company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I was concerned with ordering a camera from Adorama, based on the numerous poor reviews on the Yelp website. I contacted Helen (Adorama Customer Service) and she immediately addressed my concerns via email. One of my main concerns was if they shipped to APO boxes as I am stationed overseas. I also conducted reviews of Adorama on camera specific websites, and found little to no poor reviews of Adorama. I ordered the camera and it arrived in a week, which is very good time. Thank you Adorama.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

Ordered used Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens. My order was confirmed and shipped. Received order which included the wrong lens. Customer service provided return shipping information but would not ship lens ordered or provide a pricing adjustment on another lens in stock due to Adorama's error. I offered to split the difference on price on the in stock identical G2 lens.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

If you are thinking of buying, trading and/or selling equipments to this company, please head out: DO NOT. Do not trust them with your equipments, and most especially with your time. First, I bought my metabones from them, they also sent brochure about they buy/trade used camera equipments. The metabones was a failure. I talked to professional photographers and I was given several opinions like updating the newer software on which I did but still did not worked. I sent it back. Then, I decided to sell my canon lenses on which I should have not. It took them forever. I emailed 3 times, they tried to call me one time. Then I didn't hear from them. And when I finally talked to one person, the amount that I was supposed to get was not true. So, I'm very disappointed with this company and I will not deal with them ever.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

Bought this product that had a $20 rebate offer. This rebate was part of my reason for buying. Product is great. The rebate process is an absolute disgrace. The amount of information required is ridiculous considering this company must have a record of what they need: Original UPC Barcode Label, Original Serial Barcode Label, Invoice or Order form. Am I meant to cut the serial number out of the box which is a gift for a friend? After mailing the product to me and charging my card are you not aware that I am a customer. Don't you have this data on your computer systems... or do you just mail products without any kind of inventory system. Based on what is required, it's clear to me as a customer that the rebate process is so involved and difficult for purchasers that they will not follow through. Congratulations, Adorama you get to keep my $20, but I will never buy from you again or recommend your company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

I ordered a "wireless" printer from Adorama and got free shipping. The product that I ordered was NOT wireless so I bought another one from them, paid for it and then got my return form to fill out. Come to find out that the "free shipping" will be deducted from my original purchase price. This is in addition to the return shipping I have to pay separately!!! Bottom line is that with my reimbursing Adorama the cost of initial shipping plus the cost to me for return shipping of the product will end up costing me more than I originally paid for the printer. I understand paying for return shipping but also initial shipping is just plain wrong. BOGUS.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Ordered a 27" Dell Ultra sharp that they had described as crystal clear and great for photography. I received the product and was so excited, and as soon as I plugged it in my heart sank. It's a piece of junk. After writing customer service and telling them they sold a product with a misleading description, they basically told me "they strive to provide the best customer service." If that's the case, I should have been provided a return label for the awful product I was sold. Instead, they said to pay for it to be shipped back ($100.00) AND basically what I see as a punishment for returning a crappy item, they would also deduct the cost for them to ship it to me. Seriously, the worst company I have ever given my money to.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I bought a Fujifilm X-T10 and it came broken without a thumb grip that is supposed to be built in. I contacted them and they said it is supposed to come like that and it was an accessory. Which was absurd since you could go to Fujifilm's website and clearly see it came built within the camera. I felt as if they did not want to admit they gave me a broken product. My photojournalism professor also recommended me this site and said it was reliable but he is also now disappointed. This was a complete travesty for being my first purchase from them. I can tell you now I will not be shopping here anymore.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

Recently someone posted a deal from Adorama on Slickdeals.net. Normally Slickdeals is very good at vetting these deals before they make it to the front page deals, so I thought we had a winner here with my printer order. Adorama offered the Canon imageCLASS MF26CDW for 274.99 while on promotion. It appeared later that many other retailers were offering this price as well so I went for it. When I checked the item on their website it says that the availability is "In Stock Online" and that it may take 1-2 days to process. Now I don't mind waiting a day or two for my item to ship... However, that's where things went bad!

After placing my order, I receive the email below saying that my item is back ordered. This email came within 15 minutes of placing my order. So, being concerned that the item shows in stock I called customer support. The lady I spoke to sounded like she was not in the USA. She stated that they have an open order with Canon for these printers and they are currently just awaiting delivery. They were expected to deliver within 1 to 2 days to the warehouse and then they would ship. That was the reason for the may require 1-2 days to process. 2 days passed and I still didn't have an update on my printer. I contacted support again, and they stated that the website doesn't update as fast as their back end system and that my item is still on backorder. They offered to get me with a salesperson who could recommend a similar machine that would meet my needs or cancel the order.

First law violation: They sold me a product (bait) and then knowing they don't have the product to sell, tried to get me to switch to something else (switch). For those that don't know it's called a bait-and-switch law and it's illegal. Second law violation: They have now debited my account almost $300 for a printer that they have no intentions of shipping. This would be fraud! Now the item is back to regular price on their website. It still shows as in stock online and they are still taking orders for these machines that they are not shipping. Don't sell to this company or buy from this company if you actually want money or your product. You will lose both! I will not be shopping here again. I am filing a claim with the better business bureau today and I will be contacting the New York Attorney General's Office today about this company and their fraudulent ways. It is likely that he will direct me to the FBI Cyber Crimes, but we will start with these two first.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

The verification team at Adorama don't stay behind their shipping policies. The whole point on shopping with them was to have an item being shipped the same day. After made the confirmation or the order, the Verification team messed up and activated the order to be shipped after 8pm EST. The call that I received from that team before 8pm can be reviewed since they recorded them and the time can be verified there. However, since they messed up the item was not shipped that day and until the next one I found out about it. Spend around 30min with Customer Service and they have no solution for me. They offer you a compensation for completely ** with you as long as you don't cancel the order.

There was no point for me to continue with the order since the person receiving the item as a gift was flying out from the country so I could have spent the same amount of the purchase on trying to send abroad this item to that person. An apology just doesn't solve the issue and I have the proof (they as well) of how they are not behind their policies advertised on their website and how someone on their team made a mistake that they should have resolved around the customer.

Think twice before relying on such incompetent resources and hopefully they could train their representatives better so they don't waste their customer's time. I will do my best to discourage anyone I know that is considering Adorama by sharing my experience and provide better options so they don't buy with them. Thanks again to Adorama for messing up with me and the whole story behind this gift. The only thing I got from Adorama instead of a nice gift was nothing and someone that got away with it.

Adorama Camera Company Information