1.6/5 (30 ratings)

About Adorama Camera

More Than a Camera Store Adorama Camera has been providing services and products in Imaging - and Beyond, since 1975.

Adorama Camera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Adorama Camera?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Adorama Camera?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: April 30, 2021

So, I have been a member of the Adorama VIP, on this site, for about two 8 months or so, I believe. We also have their credit card! So, they offer us the free two day shipping. My first order several months ago, was a lens. I was very excited! I ordered this on a Wed... I was told several times it would be delivered on Friday. Ya know two day delivery. I ordered after 6pm on Wed, but was still informed it would be here Friday. It was not delivered until Tuesday! Now, this order I decided to brush off, and put it as accidents happen, so I didn't complain much.

I recently placed another order! Again, Wednesday (yesterday)! No idea what it is with me and Wed! For overnight shipping it was 110 dollars, so I debated back and forth with myself. And my husband talked me into picking the two day shipping, that it would be here Friday bc I need this stuff Sunday! I was AGAIN, informed it would be here by Friday! The next day, Thursday, my husband got a email stating it had shipped, so I was excited, and happy it was actually going to arrive on time! He sent a screenshot of the email...BUT, I caught their wording VERY quickly, they worded it very sketchy. Your order has been packed and is being shipped! It had not been shipped! This was around 3pm (my time, Missouri). My order was sitting in their store ALL DAY, before being shipped.

Let me stress, this is the part I DON'T UNDERSTAND...Everything is already in boxes and packed up. They just need to box them up to ship them out. Adding the padding/bubble wrap and whatnot. THAT DOESN'T TAKE ALL DAY TO DO! If it does, then you guys need serious help. From talking to customer service prior, I was informed that if a order is placed by 11 am the next day it will be shipped that morning. So, with my order being placed the evening before, I was good to go. They would ship it out the next morning, and it would be here by Friday. My order was not actually shipped until Thursday evening.

Today, is Friday, it is currently, 5am. I have talked online and on the phone to customer service, several times yesterday. The first woman on the phone BARELY spoke English, I had to ask her to repeat herself several times! She ended up hanging up on me, bc I started reading the shipping information they had on THEIR SITE, stating two days. ETC... So, after that, I wait a few minutes and call back hoping to get someone else, I can understand better, and maybe actually knows what they are doing! I call back and I get another woman, again WORSE English than the lady before! I have NO IDEA why this company would hire their customer service, in ANOTHER country! Who can't really speak our language, let alone they have no idea what they are doing. And they just simply don't care.

With the second woman, I couldn't even get out my issue, before she just stopped me and told me, "Sorry, there's nothing I can do!" So, I asked to speak with someone higher up, then she claimed she didn’t understand what I was asking. Then the line went dead, yet again. I was shocked at this point. And decided to do some investigating. My husband, found the site, and he's normally REALLY good at finding fair and respectful businesses, so I didn't think to much of it. Until THIS CURRENT ORDER! I Started finding more reviews, which concerns me EVEN MORE! I am convinced I will not receive my order today. And I am not sure what I am going to do.

I simply don't understand why my order sat in that store all day, before it was shipped. I own my own photography business and I plan to make a lot more purchases, but probably not with this site. And it's sad, bc I do love the store. I just don't like the fact they screw over SOOOO many people, and not one post I have read, has stated their issue was resolved. I know some people do not update their reviews, but most do. After, I get this order, IF I get everything I ordered, or if I get it at all, I may just cancel the credit card, and find another business. Bc, this is NOT how a business should be ran. If I was the CEO/Owner/or upper manager of this one, I would be EXTREMELY embarrassed of the company and all the reviews. And there are A LOT of reviews, with very similar issues. It's either with shipping, or customer service. This could be an easy fix, IF they truly wanted to fix it and actually care about their customers.

One other thing I just remembered, I mentioned to them that they should have more shipping options, for customers who need their stuff faster. Bc they only have UPS online. I was informed while chatting online, if you call in to place a order, they offer Saturday shipping, Fedex shipping and other options! But WHY not online...Specially for the VIP members and regular customers! He also told me they don't have a contract with Fedex.. And that UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays. But, UPS informed me they do, if asked... And that any company who uses them can have that option, and at times at no extra cost!

I don't know I am just REALLY upset, and frustrated. I am going to see if I can get ahold of UPS and maybe see if I can come pick it up somewhere earlier. So, I can have it. SO, yes just like ALL the other REVIEWS, the customer is the one who has to try to fix the problem. I know a lot of photographers, and I have told them about this site, but I plan to let them know to be cautious, bc you might get screwed over. I hope this review helps someone, and I have to ask, I know we can't reply to other reviews, which sucks, but has ANYONE had their issues resolved? FAIRLY and PROFESSIONALLY, with this company? My email is **.

Adorama Camera response

Hi Grace,

I apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with Adorama. If you have a moment, can you please email me your order number so I can review what happened here. Please email me at nancym@adorama.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Nancy Miller

Adorama CS Ambassador

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: April 29, 2021

SCAM ALERT! DO NOT MAKE LARGE PURCHASES WITH THIS COMPANY! FILING A LAWSUIT! I originally made a purchase of over $2000 on 04/02 and the package was supposed to be delivered on 04/07, but I never received it. I called to notify Adorama that I didn't receive my purchase and I have been sent on a wild goose chase. They originally told me that I needed to wait 48 hours before they could open a claim with UPS, which is false. Then, after waiting 48 hours they still didn't open a claim until I called two more times over a two-day period.

Once I finally reached the "claims department" I was told that I would need to wait 10 more business days for UPS to finish their investigation. I waited 12 business days, with no response. Then I decided to call and get in contact with a supervisor, which is nearly impossible. I was told that I would be called back by a supervisor on two different occasions, and I never received a call. At this point it has been 22 days (16 business days), since starting this journey and it has been the worst experience of my life.

Now that the "UPS Claim" is finished, they now say that they need their own security department to complete an investigation. However, they won't provide a time window or specific date that the investigation will be finished. While some of their customer service representatives are nice and helpful, the majority of them are not. One specific "claim representative" named Red R. is extremely rude and belligerent. On all three occasions that I attempted to contact a supervisor, I was only ever transferred to Red R, who is definitely not a supervisor. He then proceeded to raise his voice and argue with me because I nicely asked to speak with his supervisor.

Today, 04/29, I successfully waited nearly 1.5 hours on hold to finally speak with a supervisor named Lance. Lance reviewed my case and said that he "doesn't know how long this will take." Obviously, with no end in sight, I have had to take matters into my own hands. I am lucky enough to have a colleague that practices e-commerce law and he advised me to file a small claims lawsuit for the purchase and lost wages, which has totaled to around $4300 at this point. If you are unsure about this company, just go check out their BBB reviews, then make a decision about making a purchase with them. WARNING: You do not want to have to deal with their customer service department. They will give you the run-around to save their money.

Adorama Camera response

Hi Chris,

I apologize for the unpleasant experience you recently had with your order. If you have a moment, can you please email me your order details so I can review what happened here and see how I can help? My email is nancym@adorama.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Nancy Miller

Adorama CS Ambassador

Get buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I placed an order for a $2,500 laptop, but got back a letter about 'verification issues'. My bank said everything was fine with payment and problem is on the Adorama's side. Support is helpless: "Your order was escalated and was rejected by our Verification analyst. At this time, we cannot re-process your order". No any details, no requests for any documents or credit cases/ID/Passport photos, nothing. Besides they don't confirm an order, they also don't reject it. And now I have to wait about 2 weeks to get my money back from hold.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Beware! I am in the middle of the worst customer support experience of my life. I will never, ever, ever purchase another product from Adorama and will actively steer other customers away from them. I’ve never said that about any other company in my life. Companies like B&H Photo and Sweetwater can get you the same thing, at the same price, usually in the same time, and their team actually cares about you as a customer. Adorama does not. They just want your money and then they want you to go away.

Adorama may be a generally respected vendor, and everything may be fine when they get the order right, but their customer care is an absolute nightmare. Over the course of the last week, I have dealt with at least 8 different customer care associates through exactly 44 emails (so far), multiple chats, and my initial phone call. They simply do not care about me as a customer enough to fix THEIR ERROR in a timely manner.

It’s not a complicated issue. I purchased a Clearsonic drum lid kit that was supposed to come with 6 pieces. Two of those pieces did not arrive. All they have to do is either locate the missing box and send it or refund me for the value of the missing items ($190). That’s it. But for an entire week, I have been getting emails telling me that they are trying to get hold of their warehouse, but are getting no response. It’s constantly, “Please give us 1-2 business days”. Well, it’s been a week at this point. I keep getting passed off from one person to another. They can’t simply contact their warehouse and locate the box. Or, it’s not that they can’t, it’s that they don’t care to.

It has become clear to me that this is a greedy company that does not care at all about their customers after the sale. Their customer support department has been outsourced to another country, so the associates have no investment in the company or motivation to truly help. They have no interest in resolving my problem, but it seems they plan to just sit around and try to wait me out until I give up. That’s not going to happen.

Unfortunately, they have me at a disadvantage because I can neither make them contact the warehouse nor make them refund the value of the missing items. I just have to sit here and wait on them… Do not, do not, do not purchase from Adorama unless you really enjoy ending up in “Customer Care” sinkholes like the one I am in at the moment.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I had been a loyal Adorama customer for years and decided I would trade in my old gear and buy new from them. But this time, it all went downhill fast. First, they messed up my order online and overcharged me. After correcting the mistake, I went through the process three times and had to wait almost 2 weeks for delivery. This is after I became a VIP member with a promised 2 day delivery window. Since I had already shipped my old gear, I had nothing to film with and had to delay a client for 2 weeks to begin filming so I lost money on that. A few days later, I finally get a call on my old gear and they try to undersell me by over $1,000.00 off the quoted price. My camera was in great condition and I could have sold it for much more, but after an hour of wasting time on the phone we finally settled in the middle and I took a $500 loss.

Now once my new gear arrived I was happy, but I had a slight problem on set with the new Ronin gimbal as one of the motors seemed to have a hiccup at about 70% movement. Adorama told me to send it in and they would offer an expedited service to replace it. I figure I am going to be down a gimbal a day or two and I'd make it up. 2 days pass and I hear nothing, even though I was promised a replacement. I call back and they tell me they are sending it today. Another day passes and nothing. I call and get online again, and they tell me it is being sent. Again, nothing comes. Now it's a week later and I'm trying to explain to my client why there's no gimbal.

I call Adorama for a 5th time and the customer service rep tells me there is none in stock and they have no date to ship. They will offer me a $350 credit when a new gimbal costs $499. After all the lies and ** they spit at me, it's 8 days later and I have no replacement, no plan and no way to make this right. This is the last time I ever buy from Adorama. I urge everyone to save themselves the headache and avoid this company.

Original review: March 2, 2021

First off I must say that I had been a completely satisfied and loyal customer to Adorama for many years until dealing with the Used Department, specifically Jack **. As a professional photographer I relied on Adorama regularly and when it came time to upgrade some gear I felt that it would be best to trade it in where I bought it. Unfortunately my experience has been absolutely horrific, I was promised that if I decided to not accept their quote all my gear would be returned. I in fact did not accept their quote as I was low balled well beyond any acceptable offer.

When I asked for my gear to be returned it did not arrive complete and they even kept a Sony A6500 body I had sent. The excuses then began and the camera body I sent in (in original packaging and perfect condition) was sold to someone and they sent a replacement that was physically damaged and not in original packaging. After months of phone calls I had to simply accept a $500 offer to be done with the nightmare. I received an email with the $500 credit however Jack ** only credited my account with $250, so I have been unable to get the remaining $250 because anytime I place an order the account does not show the credit and I'm transferred to Jack ** who takes the order and then the orders are cancelled and I never receive the credit.

My guess is that this tactic is used repeatedly by Jack ** to get steal from great Adorama customers, and they get tired of dealing with the headache and go away. Quite simply Jack ** of the Adorama used department has stolen gear from me and there seems to be no supervisor or anyone at Adorama I can report this to as I always get transfer to Jack ** when I call to resolve the matter. Adorama as whole has treated me well over the years and this review isn't about the store but rather Jack **, everyone else at the used the department has been empathetic and polite. Beware when dealing with this individual as he comes across as a skilled career criminal. Much like the despised archetypical, sleazy used car salesman.

Resolution response: Feb. 19, 2021

After complaining again with the company, they review the case and proceed with a full refund since they realized that what is the right thing to do. I had purchased a lot of gear from Adorama in the last year and to be fair and honest this is the first time I have a problem with them.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I ordered a CANON EF-M 18-55MM F/3.5-5.6 IS STM LENS for Canon Mirrorless Cameras but I received a regular EF S 18-55MM Kit lens. I put a claim for Adorama, but they ask for I send back the lens they sent wrong to me at my own cost before any refund. The cost of shipping this thing back is greater than what I paid. Also, the EF S 18-55MM Kit lens sells for $29 see attached picture and the price I paid was $69.00 plus shipping. In the attached invoice ** the item was wrongly packaged and identified by item number **. I am an international customer that trust Adorama and now I am stuck with a product I did not ordered and even more expensive than its regular price. At least I would like to receive the refund of the difference for what I paid $72.75 minus $29.00 that is the price for what I received. Adorama offers me a refund after I send the lens back, something almost impossible due to the logistics involved.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I have ordered several items from Adorama that I could not obtain locally. The Glow line of soft boxes and beauty dishes are outstanding. The customer service is professional, polite and knows the photography business. They allow me to track the progress of my order online and the website states whether or not an item is in stock. I rarely trade in anything so not sure why that service seems to be an issue with them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I ordered two $100 VR headsets from them and requested to return them before they arrived. I sent both of them back in the same box they came in, using the UPS return label they gave me, and they only refunded HALF of my money--claiming that I only returned one headset. I go back and forth via email with a customer service rep/manager and they insist that they never received it. After multiple ridiculous go-arounds and non-sensical questions on their part, I take a photo of my UPS drop-off receipt clearly showing the tracking number of the label they sent me with a drop-off weight of 4 lbs, 15.1 oz. (or 79.1 oz), and then I sent them a screenshot of the original package sent me a few weeks prior, with a mailing label postage of 5 lbs (or 80 oz).

They denied my refund claim on at least three occasions, saying I only returned one headset. So I call and said, "If the original package I received from you guys weighed 5 lbs. according to your original shipping label, and had two of the exact headsets inside... and my return package drop-off receipt shows the return package weighed 4 lbs, 15.1 oz... how can you say I only returned one headset? It makes no sense--even mathematically." I eventually got on the phone with this same person (a manager), and after they gave me the same idiotic response, I'm ashamed to say that I yelled at them not just for their stupidity, but for their blatant stubbornness to do what was right and refund my money. Totally not worth the money.

I would have rather just been stolen from, and not let my temper get to me. Who knows--the person I have been dealing with over the matter still probably doesn't understand their ignorance, except the fact that I angrily yelled at them. I will apologize to them personally/over the phone, but I still want my refund. This has been a ridiculously difficult experience and I would advise that NO ONE order any of their products or services... EVER.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I was looking to sell 5x set of camera equipment. I got an initial quote of $800 (equipment and condition info was provided) and being that they say that they give 70% of the resale value of the merchandise, I opted to go with them. After submitting everything to them, they came back and said the resale value was $500 for everything. I asked why there was such a big discrepancy in the initial value, and they got back to me saying that one of the item info that I submitted for quotation was a more recent version. This could not have explained the large discrepancy.

I had another quote from another reputable site (KEH) that valued the total items to being effectively $800 and the price of the item that Adorama says explains the large discrepancy is only worth $182. The rep who assisted me kept cutting me off and would not let me speak. The rep then increased the price by $50 and made it seem like he was doing me a "favor", which I do not appreciate this type of approach (i.e. overpromise, underdeliver, and say that they they are doing me a favor). I would highly discourage anyone from using Adorama as I do not find their practice to be honest.

Adorama Camera Company Information