Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.66/5

More Than a Camera Store Adorama Camera has been providing services and products in Imaging - and Beyond, since 1975.

We have on hand an incredible staff team of experts who are anxious to share with, and learn from, our customers. We’ve earned our reputation for exceptional service and integrity - one interaction, one sale, one gem of advice and one respected customer at a time.

We shop long and hard and thoughtfully to make your shopping experience a wide-angled panorama of the very best in photographic/visual gear. Smart buying on our part means savvy saving on your part. At Adorama, we pride ourselves on keeping the cost of remarkable photography remarkably low by constantly comparing and competing to keep our shelves stocked with the best equipment at the best prices.

Whether you’re looking to add the latest gear to your bag, enhance your visual experience or just share a camera-friendly word with people who care — welcome to Adorama.

We love photography. We love the art and science and passion of photography. We love the photographers, both well-known and well-intentioned, who create works both famously and anonymously great.

Our store brings it all together — a wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling photographic overload (take your time, you could get a bit lightheaded!). Experience the very latest, the proven workhorses, the must-haves, the smart add-ons and the unexpected surprises.

Adorama Camera Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Adorama Camera?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Adorama Camera?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Stay away from Adorama if you would like to purchase an item and have them send it to the address you need to ship it to as a birthday present! I ordered a stereo system to be shipped to a relative for a birthday present early on Friday 1/15/2021 to be delivered to the relative's house. I get an email late the next day that stated they were putting the sale on hold to shortly cancel it because of some verification issue. I wrote back an email to let me know ASAP how to clear up the verification so this item could be shipped ASAP and arrive before the birthdate.

I got a follow-up email that stated they could only ship it personally. I just a knee replaced am not able to walk yet, let alone carry the box with home electronics to a UPS Store. So if you buy at Adorama, they will not ship where you need it delivered, but expect you to incur the charge personally to ship it to where you need it delivered. Nowhere on their website in the shipping session does it mention they refuse to ship it other than to your billing address. I guess that also covers if you are on a business trip, you can't order something and have it delivered to you. Adorama is the Donald Trump of camera stores.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I have twice received products that were sold as new but were obviously used. Mid-year 2020 I ordered a Manfrotto tripod that arrived in a damaged box. Not a huge issue as I understand shipping companies and how packages are sometimes treated. Upon opening the tripod box, I saw that the head was already assembled, when it shouldn't have been. I also noticed that one of the adjustment knob handles was a bit crooked, where it screws into the head. I unscrewed the handle and saw that it was pretty significantly bent. This could not have possibly happened during shipping in a way that would explain why the Manfrotto box was essentially undamaged.

I contacted customer service and provided a picture of the bent handle. All I wanted was a replacement handle, as it was a pretty good deal, even if for a used product. I had already thrown away the outer carton by the time I contacted customer service about this and they requested pictures of that. Since I knew I would be unable to provide that picture, and that it would likely be a bigger issue than it was worth to me to haggle about this, I dropped the issue and ordered a replacement handle, on my own, from another retailer.

This used/open box sold as new issue popped up again, however, with an order I received last week. I had ordered a set of Jamo S 809 speakers (along with some other things) that arrived in seemingly good condition, as looking at the outer shipping box. When I opened this box, there were three styrofoam packing pieces. The styrofoam that the speakers sit in, one that was around them at about mid-point, and the styrofoam that was on top. The top and bottom pieces were fine but the piece around the middle was a different story. I could see, as I tried to pull it up off of the speakers, that it had been broken in several places, all the way around, and then taped back together with packing tape. I thought that it was odd but was willing to deal with it.

I got both speakers out and screwed the metal feet on each of them. When I went to put the grills on (frame made of a type of pressed wood), one was fine but the other was broken all across the midsection. I took pictures of everything because I wanted to be able to provide the proof in order to have the problem taken care of. Of course, I contacted live customer service, via chat, and one of the first things I was told, after I explained my issue was, "I have confirmed that this was a new product". I am sure that it was not as the grill was cracked and the styrofoam packing had been broken and taped back together. Then I was told that it could have been damaged during shipping. Again, I explained that I did not believe that to be the case because of the condition of the styrofoam packing. I was then offered a partial refund of $50.

I needed to contact the manufacturer to ensure I could order a new part (and that $50 would cover the cost, including shipping), as the rep said that he could not get me one from their warehouse because they could not break stock, before accepting the partial refund. Before I could get back to the Adorama rep, he had disconnected the chat. I reached out again, got someone different, who would not do anything, as far as a partial refund, but did offer to arrange the order of a replacement part. I said that I would be willing to accept this as long as it could be handled in a timely manner. He said that a "follow-up coordinator" would contact me within two business days.

The timeliness of a two day or less contact didn't happen, so I had to reach back out to get an update. I was told then, that a replacement part was being shipped to me from their warehouse (when I was told before that it wasn't possible) that day and that I would receive a tracking number when it shipped. A couple of days went by so, again, I contacted them and was provided with the tracking number. Now I will wait and see if I get another used product from a company that I have only ever purchased new products from. Not only do I have issues with receiving used products when I have ordered new, but I also have issues with customer service that seems to try to pacify but not rectify, unless pushed to do so.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I bought a Flashpoint Light XPro 300. Battery dies after 30 days. Adorama refused to replace it until I buy a new battery ($169). It's unacceptable. I have changed my opinion about Adorama. I will never buy on this company.

Hi Jose,

I was concerned after reading your review regarding your most recent experience with Adorama. If you have a minute, can you please email me your order details so I can look into what happened here? My email is nancym@adorama.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Adorama CS Ambassador

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Absolutely dreadful experience. Ordered a lens on the Friday, on Sunday tracking said it was boxed and ready to ship on the next business day (Monday). Monday is when it all went wrong... It didn't ship on the Monday, so I contacted on Tuesday asking why... Was given all sorts of excuses from then on from: 'we're trying to locate the parcel', 'we're still trying to locate the parcel' to 'it didn't ship on Monday but it shipped on Wednesday, we promise'. Meanwhile all the time the Fedex tracking told the true story - it hadn't shipped!! I checked in with their so-called customer service daily asking where is my parcel only to be repeatedly told 'it's shipped on the Wednesday'. Fedex tracking told a different tale all the time, it hadn't shipped.! I rang Fedex also, who confirmed it hadn't shipped.

It STILL hasn't shipped to this day (the following Tuesday). It's well over a week since ordering and since getting definite notification that it was actually boxed and ready to ship... and it still hasn't shipped !! And they have no clue where the parcel is... I know something has shipped when a 3rd party courier actually confirms this, I'm going to take a statement "It shipped the other day" with a pinch of salt until I get confirmation by the courier.

BY the way this isn't some low cost item, we're talking $700 of product. I've had to get Paypal involved to get my money back from this bunch of complete amateurs, their so-called customer service is a joke, they don't know where the stock is at any one point in time... Any decent retailer can tell precisely where a bought item is: at the picking stage, at the packing stage, ready to ship, shipped, on its actual way, delivered. They don't contact you back, you have to do all the chasing... and it gets you absolutely nowhere anyway!

MY ADVICE IS TO AVOID THIS RETAILER LIKE THE PLAGUE, they don't deliver, they can't deliver and their customer service sucks in the worst way possible, they don't know what to do when something goes wrong... They do NOTHING to make it right, and the customer has to do ALL the chasing, every single step of the way. To cap it off the refund now has to be authorised and checked ???, when they know full well the parcel never shipped??!! (100% Provable by a 3rd party (FEDEX.) I won't buy from this place ever again, that's for sure. Just so you know this is a genuine purchase My order number is **.

Resolution response: Nov. 18, 2020

I was too harsh with Adorama. I received all my products in good condition, and that's what really matters.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

FedEx made me pay $64.50 for the shipping then some exorbitant customs fees 170 euros that was like a bad surprise! I was never told I would pay 170 euros after the $64.50 for the shipping. This is insane! (I'm from France). I'll never buy on Adorama again. Amazon is way better than you. 224 euros to ship a $912 product, seriously Adorama?!

Very unhappy with you,

Steven

Hi Steven,

I was sorry to read about your review regarding your most recent order.

We do state on our site that international shipments are subject to import fees, duties, and taxes (which are levied once a shipment reaches the destination country) in addition to the brokerage fees/custom clearance charges that may be imposed by the carrier. These charges must be borne by the recipient. Adorama has no control over these charges and cannot predict what they might be.

Sincerely,

Nancy Miller

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Adorama sells defective equipment and will not replace or refund you for the defective equipment. I purchased a monitor from Adorama that would shut off by itself within 11 days of opening the box. I reached out to Adorama regarding the defective monitor and they told me I would need to go to LG directly. Adorama can scam you as they did me, Buyer Beware on "new" item claims. I hope others avoid or at the very least, caution against purchasing from Adorama, based on my experience of them scamming me out of $496. I plan to write an article dealing the whole experience and how the warranty department handled the situation.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I decided to order through Adorama because they had the MacBook Pro 16 with the specs I specifically wanted in stock. So instead of ordering through Apple and waiting 2-3 weeks I decided to try Adorama as I've heard mixed reviews on them. I ordered my MacBook Pro 16 and went through the checkout process without a hitch, everything went through, my order was received and my CC was charged. The next day I get an email stating my order is on hold due to verification, verification for what? My credit card had already been charged, what else are you looking to verify?

I contacted their Verification team and they were absolutely no help at all, they couldn't even give me details as to why it was on hold and why my payment was declined? I had more than enough funds in my credit card and I even called Capital One who were baffled as to why they would have declined me! I was even provided an approval code to provide to Adorama and they simply said it's no good and that my payment will not be accepted!

I had zero issues using that same exact credit card a week before to purchase another laptop at my local Micro Center. I have never gone through such a horrible online shopping experience before, the only answer they gave me was "your payment wasn't accepted" even though Capital One said there's absolutely no issues with my card, my information and my account on their end!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

After trying repeatedly to verify my billing and shipping address, Adorama canceled my order and when I reached out to figure out the situation customer service said there was nothing they could do. I've never had this happen before with any online shopping website. Very disappointing.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

I simply can't stand how Adorama deals with customer complaints about the horrendous job the shipping department does at properly packaging boxes. My first ever order from them was $12,000 worth of Sony bodies and lenses. The big box that was stuffed with all the product boxes had no protection in any way, shape, or form. It was so smashed and mangled that UPS had to completely tape a side and a whole corner to keep the box from falling apart at the seams. I didn't even ask for a return or refund on any of it.

Then the ~11,000points I accumulated from that transaction did not credit to my account for MONTHS. I lost track of how many emails I sent trying to figure out where my points were. Then the next year when I tried to use those points it kept giving me an error at checkout. After some emailing, I learned that despite showing 11,000pts in my account, they had expired because it was a month past the date I placed my first large order. I had to make a huge fuss about how ridiculous that was given the amount I spent and the fact they were not even in my account for months. They told me "too bad, so sad...that's the policy" for the first 10 emails but eventually I was stern and sarcastic enough to get them to reluctantly allot me the points I earned by spending over $12,000, woohoo.

Only for the next item I order to arrive in the same condition, the shipping box was smashed in on 2 corners, and the lens box itself had of course, NO PROTECTION at all, once again. They really look at something worth $1,200 and decide it needs nothing in the way of padding, it is the only explanation for how appallingly lacking their packages are in protection. The inside of the lens box was completely cracked meaning the box had fallen well over 8-10ft and hit the ground hard. I refuse to pay for a brand new item and get something I know has been completely dropped with no protection, it's a joke as the paying customer, and it could have COMPLETELY been avoided if they ever properly packaged anything.

Now, despite the fact that this was well documented with pictures in a timely manner they made me email back and forth between 3 different people for 2 weeks just to be told "Ok we will let you return this but we don't have it in stock so you won't get an exchange" but their website literally lists it as in-stock this very moment as I am writing this even. It said in stock last week when I shipped the package back, I made sure of it because this lens is always going out of stock. I already know they will not honor the reduced Sale price I paid for the lens originally and will tell me I have to pay the extra $350 if I want to buy it again. Because that is how they operate. IF this happens (pretty much a guarantee; I can sense it) then I'll happily do everything in my power to divert as much business away from them to B&H because honestly it's just a joke at this point.

They always speak with me like I'm trying to rip them off, it's incredibly disrespectful and even more annoying because all of this stems from poor package protection, followed by poor customer service when you want to return the item that was destroyed as a result of being poorly packaged. The cycle will not stop given these 2 factors within the Adorama business model. 2 years of the same problems, it is unacceptable. I've ordered an equal amount from B&H and even used stuff from KEH photo, not once have I ever had a single complaint or unpleasant return, so Adorama has no basis to justify this behavior on.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I ordered a item off of their Amazon store. The item was oversized so it was shipped through ground. The company that they shipped through lost the package, I called the shipping company and they had me call a different company. When I told Adorama this I was told that they no longer had anything to do with the shipment and that I needed to track it down. After I finally found the package only the partial Item was delivered two days late. Now when I call to get the package reshipped I’m told that it is Amazon's fault and they need the parts that did show up back. I have done 90% of the work on trying to figure out where my package is and why adorama only sent half of it. I will never do business with them again, Amazon is now escalating the issue up their chain while adorama either hangs up the phone and refuses to fix the issue. Do business with a different company.

Hi Joshua,

I apologize that you had this unpleasant experience with your order. If you have a moment, can you please send me your order details so I can look into what happened? You can email me directly at nancym@adorama.com

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Adorama CS Ambassador