1.16/5

246 WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH!! My 20 year old son wanted faster internet, and so I let him take the initiative to switch. Installed WOW 2/16/19, and hated the dated equipment/interface so disconnected on 2/16/19. On 3/15 they took $129 out of my Chase account. I called, and was on hold for over 15 minutes only to be told that I would not receive a refund for 4-6 weeks. I filed fraud through Chase and got my money back. Then on 3/18/19 I received a bill for $233.00. Called again, on the phone for over an hour without resolution.

The rep told me that I am being billed through 3/15, and the best she could do was reduce my price to $145. I asked her "how could I have your services through 3/15 when your tech removed my equipment on 2/16?" She said "good question!" She promised to try to resolve the billing issue, and return my call the next day. They still have not called me back, or resolve the issue. Further the tech that removed my equipment said that he cannot help me, and that I need to go back to customer service. HORRIFIC COMPANY, HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

This company will lie to you and hike up your prices without notification. I pay $175/m internet package of 500 Mbps - which is overpriced. Not only do I not receive this level of service, I have over 80% packet loss at any given moment. If you are unfamiliar to what packet loss is, it's essentially the data that's transmitted is lost and so any video/game/loading process is jumbled and takes three times as long. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. NEVER. Don't get swindled into signing a 2 year contract because you will be DISAPPOINTED and ROBBED.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have never spent more time on the phone with a business as I do with WOW. Their customer service is horrible as their wait times are always excessive regardless of the day or time I call. Our internet speeds are rarely what we are paying for whether wired or wireless. In addition, we have to constantly reboot our modem and router to maintain any sort of speed. Let alone the amount of phone calls to have a 'signal' sent to our modem. I am done.

Original review: March 2, 2019

WOW is defrauding customers by consistently not providing advertised speeds, then blaming poor download speeds on the cable modem, when the customer happens to own said modem. They have a compatibility list, which keeps changing. But even when you have a modem on this list, they are not giving you the speed they claim to provide. Then they blame the modem.

I ended up buying 3 different new modems in an attempt to correct this, before I caught on to the fact that there is nothing wrong with my original modem. In fact it is on their list of compatible modems, Motorola SB6120, even though they lie and say it is not. I reported this and their other fraudulent practice of charging more than the designated contract amount, to the FCC. In their response to this complaint, they lied again, claiming my modem isn't compatible when their own list says it is. The other thing about that list is that it contains a lot of older models that are not widely available for purchase. I think it is a ploy to get you to use their equipment and pay for rental fees. If you have other options, I would avoid this company at all costs. They are dishonest cheats with terrible customer service to boot.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

In an effort to pressure me into leasing their modem/router at an additional mostly cost of $10.00, WOW purposely began dropping and degrading my internet signal on 2/10/19 at 12:30 am. Before calling WOW, I unplugged my 3 year old modem/router four times; the signal quality was intermittent at best so I called WOW, case # **. I talked to Jason a supervisor, we performed some troubleshooting steps and that seemed to repair the issue.

Two hours later I began having the same connectivity issue, with no internet connection and inability to stream anything on my Apple TV. When I called back it was decided that a technician would come out and try and determine what the problem was, this was scheduled for the next day. I woke up the next morning and discovered that the signal quality had become stable again; so I called and canceled the technician coming out.

A day later I began having the same signal stability issues again, so I’m thinking maybe the problem is my 3-year-old mode/router so on 02/14/19 I went to Best Buy and purchased a new Netgear Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 at $210:00; an upgrade of my 3-year-old Netgear Nighthawk. That evening I called WOW to give them the MAC address and to bring the new modem/router online.

After I completed setup of the new modem/router, my signal quality seem fine again, so I’m thinking buying a new modem/router fixed the problem. This morning 02/15/19, I woke up and I could not get on the internet or stream anything on my APPLE TV. I called WOW again and scheduled the technician to come out again, case #**; they made it clear that the technician cannot or will not troubleshoot my new modem/router therefore I have to buy their modem/router if I want reliable service. Since buying a NEW modem/router for no reason, I know that the problem is with WOW’s intermittent signal issues. I do not want to buy WOW’s modem/router and shouldn’t have to in order to get reliable service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WOW! Internet Cable and Phone?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I have been a customer of my only rural landline phone/internet provider available to my area since mid 1990's beginning with Graceba.net then WOW!. With WOW! I cannot call their service to find out info I need in a timely manner. Instead, they will have someone to call me at their conveniences, sometime in the future for me to receive needed information to make a decision based on financial factors. To be fair, more so than they are, reporting outage, problems via my phone regarding phone/internet service can be accomplished, but nothing else. Their product is not a TOP SECRET issue, etc. so why, such a policy is part of their??? Such policies can and do cause problems between customers and companies... So I ask, "WOW!, why do you?" P.S. due to my elderly age, there is a good chance that I will not be around to take their call when they decide to call me. Duh!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

This provider which is capable of running 1 GBPS (1000 Mbps) speed lines, and "supposedly" did so for 95% of their customers, bought out the old provider where I live and refuses to upgrade any of the 15 yr/old+ DSL lines that are the sole internet connection we have in this area other than satellite internet, which is useless for most purposes. WOW is also charging us $65-$85 a month (plus random charges, like fixing their own equipment at our houses that is old and breaks randomly) for this terribly laggy, connection-dropping ~300 KBPS service because they know that they are our only option.

They also know how terrible they are as well, because if you call their helplines they have set it up to throw you from robot to Indian call center to robot to Indian center until you give up trying to voice any form of complaint. Avoid WOW internet services at all costs. I'm almost positive that any positive review of this provider that you may find online are probably listed by the company itself to desperately prop itself up.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

WOW! is now charging $2 for paper billing - up from $1 per month previously. My rented box went out/stopped recording and all of my stored recordings were dead and no new items were being added. We called WOW!'s service number to arrange a time for someone to come by to repair it - the service person stopped by to swap it out. He came an hour earlier than the 2 hour time block that we were given, but I didn't mind so much since I had arrived home early from work. After he was done, I didn't have to sign anything and wasn't informed of a $50 "Truck Roll Charge" plus an access recovery charge that was added to my bill.

We no longer have a local office to conduct business. My bill was suddenly over $50 more than the previous month. (This was also after a small increase from the month before.) This isn't the 1st time that the box has malfunctioned over the past 4+ years of using Knology/WOW! for our cable, internet and phone. There was no fee charged in the past as we were renting the box. The phone and internet go out on occasion - I assume for upgrades, etc. Guess it's time to find a new provider.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

BEWARE- BEWARE- first off I wanna say I wish I could Leave 10 Negative Stars, this company is the worst internet company I have ever dealt with since wifi has been out. Customer service never provides what they say on phone. They lie, when they come out to fix the problems none of their specialist are even smart enough to fix the ongoing problems since I started never got over 32MBPS when I was paying for 100+ MBPS. The On Demand Never works, They are worst company I've ever dealt with in my entire Life! I feel super bad for anyone that locks themselves in contract with them, I had to cancel them because since day one for 7 months straight they still haven't fixed my Wifi!

If you live in Brunswick DO NOT USE WOW!.THEY ARE A SCAMMING COMPANY THAT WILL NOT PROVIDE WHAT YOU NEED LET ALONE YOU WILL never get the wifi speeds you're paying for which means their contract is invalid since day 1! Phones calls never returned to fix the ongoing problems. I'm super happy with new cable and wifi company. Never using WOW! ever again and making sure I start anti-WOW! cable website to warn the people!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Constant resetting of boxes, pixelated screens, loss of internet almost weekly if not daily. They charge for everything, such as, a video magazine and service calls. Original price quoted was less than what I’m billed for... Customer service said they’ll listen to recording of phone quote but never charged the agreed upon price. Technicians cut wires and made spaghetti— a complete mess in attic and on side of house... Be warned, grass is not greener.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I called WOW to have new services. The price was pretty go so I moved forward. My install date was for Saturday January 11th between 9-11am. WOW's automated system called me every day that week to remind me of my appointment. The day of, I got up early. I waited & waited. It was now after 12pm. I called & they stated the technician came & no one was home. The dispatcher I spoke with could tell that I was sitting in a completely empty quiet home so there is no one the tech rang my bell & I didn't hear it. They would not agree to do a roll back around. They wanted me to reschedule & they offered me a $30 credit. I refused! The technician never rang my bell & I refuse to do business with such a company!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had DirecTV, and my only complaint the bill. So switch to WOW and I've had it now two days and I have to keep resetting box because it keeps losing media gateway. I called and the earliest appointment was two days away. I guess the saying is true. Grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Can't wait till the contract is over. Going back to DirecTV.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I recently purchased a new home on December 7th. I started calling Wow on Dec 5th to get service, started a ticket because it is a new property. Was originally told to wait 5 to 7 days for a callback and have my address added to the system and do a service check. After the 7 days no call back so I called them to be told my address cant be found on the postal service website, I assured them that I was registered and receiving mail at my home. After a few minutes they agreed to do another service ticket and to wait another 5 to 7 days.

Again after the time no one bothered to call me back. I called again to be told yet the same thing and to wait another week or so because of Christmas coming. Here we are December 28 and calling again to be told to wait. Well the wait is over, I will be going with someone else. My concern is if we get the problem resolved and I get service with them and have an issue will I have to wait for them to help me. Funny if I had service and owed them money they would expect a quick response from me. I will tell everyone that I know about my experience and to run far away from Wow. Now I get the name Wow, thats the reaction people get when they get a call back from this terrible company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I work at a mortgage company in downtown Clearwater Florida. We depend on our internet service. We've been having trouble for weeks and haven't been able to get anyone to come out. Finally, I got an appointment for today (December 18th) which was confirmed twice and then cancelled with no call and no show. I had a previous appointment for tomorrow from 9am to 11am which has been cancelled. Now they tell me they will arrive some time tomorrow from 8am and 9pm. What am I supposed to do? Sleep at the office and hope a tech will arrive. I've never experienced such bad customer service.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

After finally getting too frustrated to watch glitchy cable and deal with internet service that is not working for hours every month I canceled my service when the contract was over. Then they charged me $75 saying I never returned a piece of equipment that I never had. We had their service for 3 or 4 years and only ever had one TV in both houses that we lived in. They say I had a 2nd cable box for basic cable which was not true. In looking at their convoluted bill I now see that I have also been charged for that 2nd cable service for the entire time. Thinking of signing up? Don't do it. We switched from Comcast because their customer service was (and still is) a nightmare. At least with Comcast you get great internet and cable.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Apparently I signed up for a two year contract when I called to talk to them about lowering my bill. Then the internet service took a nosedive. ** Just a tip I learned - if you want real service from someone qualified - you have to have a technician out 5 times before they send out the lead technician. And they won't credit your bill unless they have a record of your calls. So call every day. **

I wanted to leave, but they can't tell you if they will let you out of your contract until after you leave. (So you know WOW will charge you an early termination fee no matter what!) Downgraded to internet only and even though I specifically asked 3 times if it extended my contract obligation (and was told no) - I called today to hear that I signed a one year contract! Both the rep and the manager tried to "handle" me. And neither could do a thing about it. The manager offered me a $10 credit on my bill - smdh! Only 8 more months to go...

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

On June 25th, 2015 at 0902 hrs, I returned a modem that we were renting from WOW!. WOW! has continued to charge me the rental fee until present day. They scanned it into their system as returned however did not remove it from my bill, which for some unknown reason they must do manually. The overcharge totals $294 + taxes, and they are telling me it's in me for not catching that someone didn't do their job. While at the same time, the modem had been reissued to other customer(s) whom were also charged the rental fee on the same modem. They are only offering to credit $7-$42 of the funds fraudulent collected from me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

When the technician installed my WOW! internet and phone cable he was unable to get my phone to work. We could call out, but when calling my number, it was forwarded to another person's voicemail. He was unable to correct the problem and told me my phone was "probably too old" and told me to get a new phone, and if that didn't work the "operations' would have to solve the problem. I hooked up a new phone and had the same problem. Then I called WOW! Customer service, the rep was very professional and worked with me for almost 1/2 hour and still couldn't correct the problem. She made an appointment for another tech to come out and told me if he can't fix it "operations" would have to take care of it.

The next day a tech came out, could not fix the problem even after being in contact with his technical support. He was here almost an hour and by the time he left I had no phone service at all, I could not call out and all calls to my phone were still being forwarded to some else's voicemail. Again I was told, "operations" would have to fix the problem. After a few days and still no phone service and never being contacted by anyone from WOW!, I called Customer service again and went through the same routine with the same results, no phone service.

Again, I was told "operations" would have to address the issue. During this time I received my bill for phone/internet service, which I paid. Finally, after 3 weeks of never having any phone service, that was already paid for, I called WOW! and canceled my service. I don't think they have an "operations" department, and this is just a way to blow off their customer. Now I have to find another provider that will provide phone service that is paid for.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Signed a contract for internet, phone and TV. Constant problems from day one and finally had to change to a different company. Charged early term fee for a contract that WOW could not fulfill. Absolutely terrible service/customer service. Nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

WOW has a wonderful way of increasing revenue. 1. Lose your check. 2. When you call in and pay by credit card and have bank call to tell them you did send the check, and a stop payment is issued, they drop the late charge. 3. Mysteriously the check arrives the next day, they submit it and wonder of wonders it has a stop payment on it. 4. Wow now charges you $40 for a bounced check. 5. They try again the following month because they will no longer take your check because it bounced!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We moved and did not have Wow coverage at our new location. I received a call shortly after we sold our house asking us to disconnect our service so that the couple who purchased the home from us could begin their contract with Wow. The representative on the phone said nothing about a disconnect fee and because I was on an autopayment schedule, I guess I assumed they wouldn't close the account until after the final payment came out. I received a bill in the mail a few weeks later stating that I owed what was left for the days since the last payment (understandable) but that I owed a $100 disconnect fee.

This is outrageous. The Wow representative called me and asked me to cancel yet they are charging me $100!!! I refused to pay it and was sent to a credit management company for claims. They then insisted the only way to get out of it is to pay it and then try to fight the company. I'm flabbergasted. Why would I be charged when I had no option to continue my service at the new house location and the representative asked me to disconnect service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I Disputed WOW Cable and Internet pro-rating methods on service I paid in full via credit card and canceled 1 week after services began. I used one (1) week of internet and their pro-rating said I used two (2). I tried to dispute it with WOW way representative to no avail, so I disputed it with Capital One Bank. Capital One Bank credited the amount of my payment to my credit card statement. WOW took the full amount and added returned check fee and sent me another bill... Three (3) what they claim I originally owed them.

I am a disable senior citizen and cannot afford an internet, cable and phone company that continually raises the rates charged for services. Then when you cancel and dispute the prorating methods and fees, charges and fines to the bill. I tried to resolves this matter with the Better Business Bureau. And WOW insists that I owe them Three (3) times what they originally claim I owe them... Pay to dispute charges or pay more than what you owe... WOW Cable and Internet suck... Shame on WOW!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I see I am having the same issues as everyone else, this company lies to its customers. I had Wow! Way service and before I signed up I asked the rep if I move out of Wow! Way service area is there an ETF because I had just went through the same issue with Comcast. He told me No. Within that year my job shut down and transferred me to a different state that Wow! Way does not cover and I have been charged an ETF. Not only that but I called to cancel service and was told to turn in the equipment, on my credit report there are 2 charges from you and I was continually billed after canceling service. I need this issue resolved and removed from my credit report ASAP!

Updated on 10/16/2018: So WOW! sent me an email urging me to call in. The rep I spoke with kept telling me my pin and ssn was wrong then asked for last transaction which I gave to her. She said she was putting me on hold to review the account and she hung up on me, so you think she called back? No!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I work from home and my internet service on my hardwired computer was constantly intermittent. My signal would drop repeatedly. Wi-fi and phone was the same. Every time I called in, notes were not maintained. Every technician that arrived here would find completely different issues, each would express amazement that the last rep that came here to service this account missed certain issues. I have spent endless hours on the phone with technical service reps telling me there is nothing wrong with my signal, and then do a speed test showing 1 mbps upload and 1 mbps download. They would issue me credits which did not cover my loss in wages. They wanted to charge me an early termination fee for disconnecting their service which they could never get to work properly. Now I have disconnected their service screwed that up too. They owe me money and it's taken another hour and a half rectify the situation.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Massive outages lately, the latest lasting several days and still continuing. No word on when we might see service restored, and the outage covers vast areas of their service area. Outages have been becoming frequent and company is likely losing more customers by the hour. Looking into other providers now myself. Can't rate lower than one star here.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Their customer service sucks. I was their customer for one year and when I moved to an area where there is no WOW service available. They want to charge me 190$ for ending the service. I went to one of their customer services location and they confirmed that if there is no service in the moving area we will not charge you anything but after that, they keep sending me invoices for ending service charge. I called the customer services many times to solve the issue but they are so unprofessional and rude. THINK TWICE.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For 10 years we've been snowbirds and NOT ONCE did Wow get our service turned on or turned off when they were supposed to. Every single time requires multiple phone calls only to face a 3 and a half minute series of menu prompts before you even get in line for help. It's downright maddening. Then once you get someone, they ask you ALL THE SAME questions you already were prompted for - phone number, last four of social security, etc. NO! WHY? Then, the final insult, after you think you're all done, they suggest, "You should call back a few days before you leave to confirm." Confirm WHAT? I just told you what I need! Why do I have to go through this ** again? If I had ANY OTHER choice I'd jump so fast your head would spin. But our park is stuck with Wow. Such horrible horrible horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Two years ago, I signed up for an Internet package after a door-to-door salesperson assured me that their rates are "locked in," unlike their competitors. After a year, they increased the rates without warning. I called to cancel service, and they said I could get a special discount and rates would not change for 5 years. It turns out they tack this discount on top of a plan that they can arbitrarily increase at will. Sure enough, they snuck through another rate increase this month by switching my base plan to the "WOW! Renewal Internet Plan." No improvements in speed or features, just a higher cost.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

This company's contract is meant to steal from its customers and when you try to resolve the issue their representatives are curt, unprofessional and rude. They treat you the customer as if you are obligated to their service and they don't listen or assist in resolving the problem because the problem is yours not theirs. In this day and age when people have choices it's hard to believe that any company would treat people as if it's not the customer who gives the company money so they can have a paycheck. How do they forget that customer service should be their priority. I was literally told by their rep I should wait for them to ruin my credit. They have no solution for me because it's their contract; SERIOUSLY who says things like this and what happen to staying professional and offering service above and beyond what your customer expects. As long as I am living I will do without cable before I ever accept any services from Wide Open West!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Even though I've been with WOW for only a week, my experience with this company is more than disappointing. First of all, a technician who was scheduled to install WOW internet in my house totally screwed up the installation, and as soon as she left and I canceled my service with Spectrum, I stopped receiving internet completely. When I called technical support, nobody could figure out why my internet wasn't working and I was getting completely different responses from different representatives. Some of them told me that I can continue using my old modem that I previously used with Spectrum, while others told me that I need to purchase a new one because WOW works on a different frequency than Spectrum does. Nobody could fix my issue over the phone and no technician was available for 4 days.

A floor supervisor told me that they issued an inconvenience credit of $15 and will not charge me for the 4 days when I didn't have service (which would be logical to expect!). Even though the supervisor assured me that I don't need a new modem and my old one would work just fine, I went ahead and bought a new modem just in case. When 4 days later another technician arrived, he could hardly figure out what the problem with the initial installation was. He eventually realized that the first technician connected my service to Spectrum box! When he fixed that, he was not able program my old modem and (without my permission!) used my new modem that he saw on my desk.

Just three days later after all this ordeal, I received a bill that charged me the full amount for the whole month without any credits applied. When I called customer service to demand promised discount, they gave me only partial credit and argued that the amount is based on my monthly rate. There were no notes on the account left by the supervisor and I couldn't prove my point. It's the worst internet provider that I have ever had and their customer service representatives are unprofessional and poorly trained. The company's policies are not aimed at customers' satisfaction at all, but only on making money at all cost.

WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Company Information