1.44/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

212 WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been for 3 days a technician to come and set up my new internet connection. WOW! office is literally across the street. Eventually WOW! told me that a technician will come between 11:00 am and 1:00pm. I took this time off from my job and although I called WOW 3 calls I had to wait until 2:30pm and no technician ever arrived! As a new customer I am very dissatisfied with their so far service and efficiency.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Approximately five years ago I first tried WOW!'s cable tv service. They sent an arrogant young installer who immediately upset me when I caught him standing on my AC compressor to drill a hole. It did not get any better and when he was finished I had a snowy/grainy picture. He scheduled service to come back but the service person told me "that's as good as it gets". So I told him to remove it and I went with another company.

Last Friday I tried again after receiving a postcard that offered a slightly better deal than I currently had. This would turn out to be a huge mistake. I got very little sleep the night before worrying what might go wrong this time. I had rescheduled this appointment several times as I was having a main room remodeled. I pre arranged everything or so I thought. I mentioned several times to different CSR's that I wanted an experienced/seasoned installer. I was told this would not be a problem. I also asked that if there are problems again this time I want the installer to rewire everything back to my old system.

Again I was told this is no problem. The installer arrives at around his scheduled time of 8:00 am and I meet him outside. The first thing I ask is "how long have you been an installer". He answers "8 months" which slightly upsets me. I should mention here that when I was younger I worked for a cable company for ten years. I knew 8 months does not make a seasoned installer. I also told him that if everything is not right he would have to switch it back to the way it was. When he heard this he called in to have a lead installer join him which made me feel a little better.

Everything started out fine but when the lead arrived after about an hour he went to the living room outlet to check the cable. Unaware that the installer already had all the outlets opened and detached he pulled on the cable and out of the basement outlet. The installer informed him of this so he said we will just replace it and pulled it all the way out of the wall. Now they have to rerun a cable that existed from the beginning. This not only took over six hours and a second lead but they also drilled a hole through my stairwell. They told me they would have a contractor call me to fix it.

Ok, at this point nothing is working yet (cable, phone or internet ). So they start replacing everything (cables, splitters, wall plates, converters) to no avail. At about 4:30 pm the lead tells me he is officially off duty but he will stay until everything is working properly. I tell him that I really appreciate that. An hour later I overhear him tell the installer that he should leave because of overtime. I remind him of what he said earlier. He smiles and continues to work for about another twenty minutes before slipping out the back door without a word. This made me angrier than I already was. The installer stayed and kept trying to get everything to work but still no luck. I notice he keeps trying to reach his dispatcher for help with no answer.

After over a half hour of this I got fed up and called the company to complain. The dispatcher now calls him but was no help. I started talking to the dispatcher and he was making me more and more angry and he actually hung up on me. Now I was fit to be tied, the installer now gets his supervisor on the phone as I realize it is now past 7:00 pm and they have been here over 11 hours. I have not eaten and I had something scheduled for that evening. I tell the supervisor that this is not working out and I want my cable switched back over to the other service as promised. He tells me that they don't do that and he wants to send another person over. I again tell him no I just want my old service back. He says if I don't want it he will tell the installer to just pull the boxes and leave.

I tell him only if he pays any bills I might incur over this, he reluctantly agrees as he did not have much choice. The installer now rips through the house in about three minutes pulling their equipment and runs out the back door without saying a word. The TVs, computer and phones were left disconnected and in disarray. Wires, splitters and scraps were left everywhere. They even left two of their own remotes and a converter plug in wire. I call my present cable provider to schedule service but they can't come for two days so I now have absolutely no service.

I then called in to Wow! very angry to check that a contractor was scheduled and to arrange a call back from a manager. He confirms that a contractor should be calling me as soon as Monday and sets up a call back from a manager for the following day at 4:00 pm. I never received a call from a manager or a contractor and it is now over 5 days later. This company is a joke and I advise anyone that has another choice to stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Every end day they have issues with their internet. When we call support or Head of the department they always have one message to pass everyone "We are working on your line only". Disgusting and very poor connection.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I recently switched to the WOW internet only service so I could switch to streaming services for TV as well as telecommute. I was supposed to get 500 Mbs download and 50 Mbs upload. I'm lucky if I can get over 10 Mbs download on a regular basis. Trying to watch a live recording or something DVR and it stops or flat out fails to resume and tells me to come back later. It took over an hour to download a 45 minute video podcast because the network kept failing and I had to restart it every few minutes. And this wasn't during a high traffic time. It was in what should have been a low traffic period where the speed would be at its fastest. It is frustrating beyond belief. What's the point of paying for high speed internet when it only rarely gets above 30 Mbs?

Original review: July 6, 2018

I had an issue with my box and has an appointment on May 18th from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. I called several times when it ensure someone was coming out and kept getting a message that said someone was. I called back after 1:00 pm and was told someone was on the way, which was not the case. At 3:00 pm I called back to reschedule since I had to go to work and someone came out on Saturday. I was told I wouldn't be charged the $50.00 fee and when I opened my bill for my June payment it was listed.

I just spoke with Anna from customer service who said she could remove $25.00 and then I asked to speak with the supervisor. I spoke with Janine who again told me that they could only waive $25.00 on something I was told I wouldn't be charged. I have been a customer with Wow since 2003 and for them to have me wait all day and then charge me is unacceptable. I will make sure to let everyone know how their service is and will be looking at switching to Mediacom.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WOW! Internet Cable and Phone?

Original review: June 28, 2018

I recently had reason to pull a copy of my credit report. Imagine my surprise in finding an ongoing collection of $900 by Credit Management out of TX for an account opened in 2/2014 with Wow! Cable. Except I didn't have Wow! Cable in 2014. How this reads is that I opened up an account with them in 2/2014, and it went to collections in 4/2014 and in that short time, I accumulated an exactly $900 bill. How is that even possible? It's not. Because I actually had Comcast during this time.

But I didn't notice that this co. out of TX (I'm in Detroit), junk debt buyers, had but a $900 collection on my credit because of Wow! Cable since they bought it 2 years ago. I have not had an outstanding $900 bill from Wow!, I have never been contacted by them or any non-descript collection group, ever, at all. I ran my credit report and this has been sitting on there for 2 years, but because I don't usually pull it, I would not have noticed.

Everyone who has done business with Wow! should pull a free copy of their credit report. How does this even happen? And how did I run up an exactly $900 bill with them in less than 2 months? It's not even possible. Luckily with a lot of going back and forth, I was able to get it removed off of Experian. I didn't know about this collection, and a few years ago, we switched from Comcast to Wow! Not in my name.

When we called to see about getting our slower Internet speed from what it was, I think 20 Mb, to their advertised 100 Mb, then later to the 500 Mb, we were told what everyone else is, that it's for NEW customers only. What? That makes 0 sense if you want to keep customers. But not apparently to "keep" us, they are lying and saying we all "signed" contracts, though this is over the phone, so now they recorded you verbally, except there is no way they're able to find that recording of you agreeing to any contract.

Now Wow! speeds are up to 1 Gb, but forget it if you are a paying, loyal customer, because you get to keep the slow speeds and they have no reason. Our bill has also kept going up, here and there. I came upon these reviews because I now see on our bill there is a monthly $3.99 fee for their "monthly guide". We didn't subscribe to this or agree to it, were not even told, they just started adding it to the bill.

Check your bill too, the $3.99 is probably on there. This is exactly like the illegal practice of "cell phone cramming", but it's a cable provider doing the same thing. There is also no way any longer to see an "itemized bill", even in their PDF. The main page says we have "Medium Cable Plan" and "WOW! Internet". On the PDF it says "WOW! Renewal Bundle Plan... $140.00. Includes: Medium Cable Plan, WOW! Internet".

So what speed? What channels? Then it has "After a 30-day period, Early Termination Fees of up to $165 may apply if you cancel your subscription to Annual services during the term of your agreement." What annual service agreement? When did it start? When does it end? Next up "05/29-06/28 5 Yr Renewal Discount... -$22.50. $22.50 off Cable for 5 Years. 05/29-06/28 5 Yr Renewal Discount... -$22.50. $22.50 off Internet for 5 Years". I can say for a fact, we never signed up with Wow! for any 5 year contract.

So what they are doing to nickel and dime every month, is this: -a year ago our package "deal" was $105, now it is $140. -broadcast TV fee was $6.65, now it's $10.20. -Franchise fee went up $.60 and they are adding Sales Tax (!!!) to their monthly magazine we never asked for. But ours had started to sneak up little by little too. Then they can't give their customers any of the deals that they advertise, they're only for "new customers", which is really unheard of. Same with their pay channel deals. When you call them, half the time they're in another country and I for one can't understand what is being said.

Right now they're offering speeds of 1 Gb to their new customers, only. We are stuck at 65 Mb, tops. I am seeing this too: "WOW! also offers a 30-day guarantee where you can cancel your service for free. If you cancel outside of that first 30 days, however, it will cost you $345 for an early termination fee. The fee will decrease by $15 each month into your contract." Did anyone agree to a $345 early termination fee? For cable? They're like Sprint cell phone bills were in 2005. How is this legal? We didn't enter into or agree to any contract like this, I don't see it on their site or their bill, so they're obviously NOT forthcoming, it's on a review site.

Highly recommend that you remove all of your saved billing info., they had 5 of ours, especially if you cancel so they cannot get into your account. Finally, if you pay with a credit card or debit card, you can do charge backs. Don't let them put random bills on your card or take money out of your bank account. And if they put something negative on your credit report, dispute it. Force the credit reporting agencies to supply PROOF to whatever they say you agreed to, and that proof is a signed contract with Wow! I did not know they had put anything on my credit report, and it was sitting there for 2 years.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I moved to a very small town and the only service provider available was WOW! I signed up for the internet and about 6 months later I bought a house. I called WOW! to transfer my service and they told me that they do not offer service in my new area. They said they would cancel my service and charge me a fee. I disputed it with them because I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to transfer. They were extremely rude to me and told me I was '**out of luck'. I called multiple times to speak to a supervisor and I was put on hold for over an hour before they dropped my call. 2 months later they charged my bank account $510. I called and finally was able to speak to a supervisor and she told me the same thing, there's nothing I can do and they can charge me whatever they want. I am so disgusted with this company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

WOW outsources their customer service employees which is a huge mistake. If you have a issue you can't understand them and they are rude! We had a issue with our cable. Was on the phone for 2 hours with a representative who hung up on us when we asked for a supervisor! I called back and asked for a supervisor who spoke clear English. Come to find out per the supervisor you can ask to speak to someone in the U.S. Good to know! WOW do yourself a favor. Instead of saving money by outsourcing use U.S. employees who you can understand and do a much better job!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have had Wow now for about a year. I got tired of calling them up to come out and get the same working right. It is a worse internet and cable service I have ever had and customer service is not that great. Either I am going to switch to another cable provider. I would never recommend them to anybody. I'm sitting here now because my cable internet is not working again. I am both to get 100 megabytes. Every time I check it I am only getting about 25 megabytes but I'm paying for 100. Very unhappy this company. They're lucky they even got one star.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Poor, terrible, nonexistent service, the worst I have ever encountered!!! We have been calling since March to have our cable installed underground. The cable is currently hung up in the trees, on the ground and 2-3 ft. above ground. A pretty sight and a safety issue! THEY DON'T CARE! I have called numerous times, on the phone for HOURS and NOTHING GETS DONE! I have been told the job has been completed, REALLY! I will send you photos. I have placed several new orders, been given reference numbers, I have been told a supervisor will call, NOTHING!!!

Original review: June 4, 2018

WOW has become a four letter word around my office. This is by far the flakiest connection I have ever had to deal with, and I lived for a year on a satellite connection. It is so bad that I am moving my home service to another provider as well.

Original review: May 18, 2018

When WOW! first started in southern Indiana it was a good company at that time. $30.00 for tv, phone, and internet.hook up in every room. Customs service in Evansville Indiana or Colorado. Leaving WOW! for another internet company $0.0. Now $40.00 for internet and one hookup. Customer service in some other country. Leaving the company will cost you $40.0 for each month left in your contract. If you call to lower the cost and agree it is now a contract between you a WOW!. After 12 years with WOW! I feel up the ** with a wow. Good bye.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have had a terrible experience with WOW! When my wife and I made the switch to WOW, we did it mostly because of the price. I guess the saying is true... "you get what you pay for." Not only was the Wifi itself an issue, but the customer service was exceptionally bad. The response was slow and every one we dealt with seemed to be disinterested in our issues. I really was going to let it go and not write a review (since we are moving out of their service area and won't have to deal with them anymore), but then they told me I was going to have to pay a termination fee of $210. Also, Ingleberg or Inglewood or whatever the name of the representative was that we spoke with was rude and acted high and mighty. Needless to say, we will never work with or recommend this unprofessional joke of a company.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We only have internet with Wow, but it has been excellent. We pay for 15 megs, we often get over 25 megs and have had no problem with the service [modem/Router went out but they replaced it the next day]. Great service.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I obtained these services for one year at a very low cost and I've never had a break in service. Good prices and customer service too. I would recommend them to others.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Have to use WOW! for internet but I am dumping the cable TV part. Their equipment is old. Their "guide" no longer tells you the episode, just something general. i.e. "Star Trek" Kirk and Spock seek out new life. They charge way too much as well!! Rates go up regularly. And you have to buy premiums packages to get the channels you probably want.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Customer service is nice most of the time but the cost is way too much for the product. And often times, the price goes up, the cable tends to freeze up and the sound goes out.

Original review: May 5, 2018

As with all service providers for internet service most issues are pretty terrible. On a couple of occasions, when I have called, I have had great success due to the particular customer service rep I worked with. However, for general issues it is very difficult to get assistance.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Constantly get billing wrong, poor service, and outrageous pricing. Internet constantly down, phone service unreliable and dropping calls! They use outdated equipment and refuse to update!

Original review: April 24, 2018

So besides the shotty internet service we got from WOW, their billing team and agenda is what really sets me off. I had a ten minute conversation with a guy in the phone when we moved into our new apartment. I specifically asked if the prices he wasn’t offering me was valid for a year contract and he said “Yes.” My husband and I did not want anything longer than a year because our plan was to stay there a year and move. Only an idiot would sign up for a contract for 2 years knowing they’d be staying for one. So skip to a month before our “1 Year Contract” is supposed to be up, I call WOW and ask how much our last bill would be since we would only be using their services for half that month. That's when I’m informed, “Your contract still has a year, because your contracts states for 2 years.”

I repeatedly explained I have none of that in writing with my signature in it and the lady refuses to listen. Like everything I say to her she responds with “In this case there’s nothing we can do” and that I’ll have go to a local office to dispute, and even then there’s a small chance of anything being done. So I call back a little later to try and speak with someone new. Now this guy is telling me even going to the dispute office won’t work, and that I signed a contract so that’s just it. I explained for the millionth time that we did not agree to two years and so on. Eventually I ask for this contract that I “signed” for their proof, and he outright denies me and says it’s not possible. I explain legally he has to provide it for me because I was not even provided an initial copy.

Immediately he sends me to his supervisor who gives me the same runaround, and when I ask for the contract he tried to tell me, “It was a verbal contract that we’re holding you to.” So I said, “Ok, then you still have to provide me with a copy of this, because if I were to take this to court and pursue legal action, my lawyer would need to obtain a copy of that for this to hold up as well.” He then proceeds to tell me they couldn’t send me a copy of the recorded phone call that I apparently agreed to two years on, but he could “play it and put it on speaker so I could hear”. BULL. I told him that won’t legally hold up anywhere, and I’d need a copy. He then says they’d have to find the phone record and he could give me a call in two days (which is fine and understandable except he just offered to pull it right up and play it for me ten seconds prior).

So I’m currently waiting on a phone call that I’m sure will get brushed around. I was also told by the three different people I talked to that my term went through three different months, that 1/2 the options one of them told me to do, the others said were impossible and I was told three different amounts that I’d have to pay to buy out of my contract. So if your only option is to go with WOW, live like a caveman. You’ll be better off.

Original review: April 20, 2018

My husband and I couldn't be more unsatisfied with Wide Open West (WOW) internet. We pay quite a bit per month for a fast speed. Guess What? About 90 percent of the time, our speeds aren't even close to what they're supposed to be. WOW! let the lines hang too low on our street, so when a garbage truck drove past, it ripped the line down, including one attached to our house, and our shutters. When we contacted WOW!, the manager dismissed us and hung up on us. After trying to cancel WOW!, after switching to AT&T, they said they are charging me 90 dollars to cancel while under contract. I will never ever recommend WOW! to anyone ever. Peace out sucky internet.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I'm paying for 30 meg, they say only guarantee 80% of that. Most of the time I get less than 1. Anyone who asks for 1 yr. contract, knows their service is no good. If I could get 80% all the time, I would be happy. Not right but satisfied.

Original review: April 13, 2018

It really sucks when there are NO other options for internet services in your area. I am stuck with WOW and the crappy service that cuts out often. I wish there was another cable company around so there could at least be some competition for customers. WOW raised my rate once again, and didn't notify me about the increase so now I have to pay the extra charges plus a new higher monthly fee. Why can't these companies do something nice for loyal customers?!?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I've used WOW for as long as I can remember, and for the last few years now there have constantly been random periods of time where I'll lose internet or speeds drop dramatically even with the higher speed options. I've noticed that while using a VPN, my internet speed seems to increase almost double which leads me to believe they're throttling speeds based, potentially based on the amount of bandwidth being used or the time of day. That said, I don't know if there is an ISP you can trust these days.

Original review: March 31, 2018

All I can say is wow! This stinks! Internet drops, slow as heck. TV is pixelated and picture quality is bad. So many complaints! Let's see where do I begin... Sales rep, Shaun **, lied about pricing, complained and he stated that he gave me a credit. I did not even have the service for 20 days. Called to cancel. Found out bill was higher than he promised. So one lie after another. Customer service is a joke! Without making this too long, bottom line stay away. We went back to old cable company and am now very happy. Not worth it! It's like cable from the 80's was better.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Internet constantly runs slow and drops out. I have the misfortune of having their Ultra service. I have just about worn out their reset button. TV service frequently locks up or pixelates. They send out a service person and he doesn't do anything. Recently upgraded to 60 mbps hoping it might be better. I could should have just thrown my money away. As much as I hate Comcast they are on the horizon.

Original review: March 24, 2018

WOW is a great way to describe the terrible customer service. I called WOW when I bought a house and let them talk me into a promo package with Internet 500. I called and asked to be changed to Internet 100. They messed that up. Instead, they moved me to a 30M package that isn't even on the website and further costs more than the Internet 100. Every month I have had to get on the phone with them about something on the bill that should not be there and was not there the previous month. If they'd look at my first bill from November 2017 they'd see the new two year agreement for the right package. But for some reason they felt the need to change my contract to a renewal rate. I will never have WOW as my provider again!

Original review: March 22, 2018

WOW says that my daughter signed up for autopay when she made an online payment. For argument's sake, let's say she did. Going forward they have continually deducted 2 months worth of bills at a time. She has asked to be taken off of autopay. After finally getting to a manager they agreed to refund the double deduction and take her off of autopay. They refunded the money to the bank. She then made a payment for what was due and the following day they again took out another double payment.

After calling and talking to a supervisor, he refused to credit back the money. He also refused to get her his manager to speak to her. She asked for the tapes of the last conversation. He first said he couldn't do it then changed it to saying it would take weeks. She again asked for the autopay to be stopped. He said no he wouldn't do that. This is just theft. She has filed fraud with her bank and has had to close her bank card. We have contacted an attorney who is looking into the case. Please be aware that this company has no scruples and are outright thieves. I really hope this can be taken to court. It has cost overdraft fees and monthly stress and they should be known for what they are. DO NOT USE WOW CABLE!!!

Original review: March 21, 2018

When we signed up for WOW, they were new to our area, we were excited about their reasonable rates and thrilled with their super helpful customer service. Both qualities are a thing of the past. We disconnected and went with another company because our new housemate was unwilling to put up with internet going in and out every day, not at all reliable or predictable. (I guess we'd gotten used to it.) When we called to let WOW know, we calculated that we had used about half of the last month we'd already paid for. We thought we'd get a refund for a portion of the prior month.

Instead, we were charged not only for the time we received intermittent service plus the week after we disconnected from WOW, started with Frontier, but before we informed WOW that we had moved on. But we were also informed that we would have to pay for an additional week. I took our WOW bill off autopay, and just this week a new bill arrived including $28.36 (for time not receiving their services) PLUS a $10 late fee and a new paper statement fee. Despite two phone calls explaining how customer service is so important to WOW's continued survival, asking for help on this and for the right thing to be done, I met a stone wall. I paid rather than have a late payment on my credit, but really feel badly that this company has gone so far south on their product, their ethics and their service.

We were actually really good customers, had never had a late payment in our tenure of approximately 4 years with them. I had spoken highly of them in the first two years and several friends signed up with their service. Now we can only apologize for the recommendation, and advise anyone looking for internet service to look elsewhere. I feel VERY strongly about this, and am concerned that the customer service employee, who sounded like a decent young man, is going to find himself with a company going down the tubes. WOW is going to have a hard time staying in business with its policies, ethics and service being so against their customers. I really hope he disassociates from WOW before it is too late and finds an admirable company to work for, one like WOW started out to be.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Currently have 30 mbps service for $64/month. 3-21-18 I called and wanted to downgrade to 10 mbps for the advertised rate (on their website) of 29.99/month. Was told that was for new customers with their own modem. Without modem it would be 39.99/month. I agreed, but was told it was only available for new customers. So I will cancel WOW service. Misleading website. They would rather lose a customer of years I suppose. Sad.

Not sure about WOW! Internet Cable and Phone?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Satellite and Cable TV Providers for you.

WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Company Information

www.wowway.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business