1.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

231 WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Apparently I signed up for a two year contract when I called to talk to them about lowering my bill. Then the internet service took a nosedive. ** Just a tip I learned - if you want real service from someone qualified - you have to have a technician out 5 times before they send out the lead technician. And they won't credit your bill unless they have a record of your calls. So call every day. **

I wanted to leave, but they can't tell you if they will let you out of your contract until after you leave. (So you know WOW will charge you an early termination fee no matter what!) Downgraded to internet only and even though I specifically asked 3 times if it extended my contract obligation (and was told no) - I called today to hear that I signed a one year contract! Both the rep and the manager tried to "handle" me. And neither could do a thing about it. The manager offered me a $10 credit on my bill - smdh! Only 8 more months to go...

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

On June 25th, 2015 at 0902 hrs, I returned a modem that we were renting from WOW!. WOW! has continued to charge me the rental fee until present day. They scanned it into their system as returned however did not remove it from my bill, which for some unknown reason they must do manually. The overcharge totals $294 + taxes, and they are telling me it's in me for not catching that someone didn't do their job. While at the same time, the modem had been reissued to other customer(s) whom were also charged the rental fee on the same modem. They are only offering to credit $7-$42 of the funds fraudulent collected from me.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

When the technician installed my WOW! internet and phone cable he was unable to get my phone to work. We could call out, but when calling my number, it was forwarded to another person's voicemail. He was unable to correct the problem and told me my phone was "probably too old" and told me to get a new phone, and if that didn't work the "operations' would have to solve the problem. I hooked up a new phone and had the same problem. Then I called WOW! Customer service, the rep was very professional and worked with me for almost 1/2 hour and still couldn't correct the problem. She made an appointment for another tech to come out and told me if he can't fix it "operations" would have to take care of it.

The next day a tech came out, could not fix the problem even after being in contact with his technical support. He was here almost an hour and by the time he left I had no phone service at all, I could not call out and all calls to my phone were still being forwarded to some else's voicemail. Again I was told, "operations" would have to fix the problem. After a few days and still no phone service and never being contacted by anyone from WOW!, I called Customer service again and went through the same routine with the same results, no phone service.

Again, I was told "operations" would have to address the issue. During this time I received my bill for phone/internet service, which I paid. Finally, after 3 weeks of never having any phone service, that was already paid for, I called WOW! and canceled my service. I don't think they have an "operations" department, and this is just a way to blow off their customer. Now I have to find another provider that will provide phone service that is paid for.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Signed a contract for internet, phone and TV. Constant problems from day one and finally had to change to a different company. Charged early term fee for a contract that WOW could not fulfill. Absolutely terrible service/customer service. Nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

WOW has a wonderful way of increasing revenue. 1. Lose your check. 2. When you call in and pay by credit card and have bank call to tell them you did send the check, and a stop payment is issued, they drop the late charge. 3. Mysteriously the check arrives the next day, they submit it and wonder of wonders it has a stop payment on it. 4. Wow now charges you $40 for a bounced check. 5. They try again the following month because they will no longer take your check because it bounced!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WOW! Internet Cable and Phone?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

We moved and did not have Wow coverage at our new location. I received a call shortly after we sold our house asking us to disconnect our service so that the couple who purchased the home from us could begin their contract with Wow. The representative on the phone said nothing about a disconnect fee and because I was on an autopayment schedule, I guess I assumed they wouldn't close the account until after the final payment came out. I received a bill in the mail a few weeks later stating that I owed what was left for the days since the last payment (understandable) but that I owed a $100 disconnect fee.

This is outrageous. The Wow representative called me and asked me to cancel yet they are charging me $100!!! I refused to pay it and was sent to a credit management company for claims. They then insisted the only way to get out of it is to pay it and then try to fight the company. I'm flabbergasted. Why would I be charged when I had no option to continue my service at the new house location and the representative asked me to disconnect service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I Disputed WOW Cable and Internet pro-rating methods on service I paid in full via credit card and canceled 1 week after services began. I used one (1) week of internet and their pro-rating said I used two (2). I tried to dispute it with WOW way representative to no avail, so I disputed it with Capital One Bank. Capital One Bank credited the amount of my payment to my credit card statement. WOW took the full amount and added returned check fee and sent me another bill... Three (3) what they claim I originally owed them.

I am a disable senior citizen and cannot afford an internet, cable and phone company that continually raises the rates charged for services. Then when you cancel and dispute the prorating methods and fees, charges and fines to the bill. I tried to resolves this matter with the Better Business Bureau. And WOW insists that I owe them Three (3) times what they originally claim I owe them... Pay to dispute charges or pay more than what you owe... WOW Cable and Internet suck... Shame on WOW!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I see I am having the same issues as everyone else, this company lies to its customers. I had Wow! Way service and before I signed up I asked the rep if I move out of Wow! Way service area is there an ETF because I had just went through the same issue with Comcast. He told me No. Within that year my job shut down and transferred me to a different state that Wow! Way does not cover and I have been charged an ETF. Not only that but I called to cancel service and was told to turn in the equipment, on my credit report there are 2 charges from you and I was continually billed after canceling service. I need this issue resolved and removed from my credit report ASAP!

Updated on 10/16/2018: So WOW! sent me an email urging me to call in. The rep I spoke with kept telling me my pin and ssn was wrong then asked for last transaction which I gave to her. She said she was putting me on hold to review the account and she hung up on me, so you think she called back? No!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I work from home and my internet service on my hardwired computer was constantly intermittent. My signal would drop repeatedly. Wi-fi and phone was the same. Every time I called in, notes were not maintained. Every technician that arrived here would find completely different issues, each would express amazement that the last rep that came here to service this account missed certain issues. I have spent endless hours on the phone with technical service reps telling me there is nothing wrong with my signal, and then do a speed test showing 1 mbps upload and 1 mbps download. They would issue me credits which did not cover my loss in wages. They wanted to charge me an early termination fee for disconnecting their service which they could never get to work properly. Now I have disconnected their service screwed that up too. They owe me money and it's taken another hour and a half rectify the situation.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Massive outages lately, the latest lasting several days and still continuing. No word on when we might see service restored, and the outage covers vast areas of their service area. Outages have been becoming frequent and company is likely losing more customers by the hour. Looking into other providers now myself. Can't rate lower than one star here.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Their customer service sucks. I was their customer for one year and when I moved to an area where there is no WOW service available. They want to charge me 190$ for ending the service. I went to one of their customer services location and they confirmed that if there is no service in the moving area we will not charge you anything but after that, they keep sending me invoices for ending service charge. I called the customer services many times to solve the issue but they are so unprofessional and rude. THINK TWICE.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For 10 years we've been snowbirds and NOT ONCE did Wow get our service turned on or turned off when they were supposed to. Every single time requires multiple phone calls only to face a 3 and a half minute series of menu prompts before you even get in line for help. It's downright maddening. Then once you get someone, they ask you ALL THE SAME questions you already were prompted for - phone number, last four of social security, etc. NO! WHY? Then, the final insult, after you think you're all done, they suggest, "You should call back a few days before you leave to confirm." Confirm WHAT? I just told you what I need! Why do I have to go through this ** again? If I had ANY OTHER choice I'd jump so fast your head would spin. But our park is stuck with Wow. Such horrible horrible horrible service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Two years ago, I signed up for an Internet package after a door-to-door salesperson assured me that their rates are "locked in," unlike their competitors. After a year, they increased the rates without warning. I called to cancel service, and they said I could get a special discount and rates would not change for 5 years. It turns out they tack this discount on top of a plan that they can arbitrarily increase at will. Sure enough, they snuck through another rate increase this month by switching my base plan to the "WOW! Renewal Internet Plan." No improvements in speed or features, just a higher cost.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

This company's contract is meant to steal from its customers and when you try to resolve the issue their representatives are curt, unprofessional and rude. They treat you the customer as if you are obligated to their service and they don't listen or assist in resolving the problem because the problem is yours not theirs. In this day and age when people have choices it's hard to believe that any company would treat people as if it's not the customer who gives the company money so they can have a paycheck. How do they forget that customer service should be their priority. I was literally told by their rep I should wait for them to ruin my credit. They have no solution for me because it's their contract; SERIOUSLY who says things like this and what happen to staying professional and offering service above and beyond what your customer expects. As long as I am living I will do without cable before I ever accept any services from Wide Open West!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Even though I've been with WOW for only a week, my experience with this company is more than disappointing. First of all, a technician who was scheduled to install WOW internet in my house totally screwed up the installation, and as soon as she left and I canceled my service with Spectrum, I stopped receiving internet completely. When I called technical support, nobody could figure out why my internet wasn't working and I was getting completely different responses from different representatives. Some of them told me that I can continue using my old modem that I previously used with Spectrum, while others told me that I need to purchase a new one because WOW works on a different frequency than Spectrum does. Nobody could fix my issue over the phone and no technician was available for 4 days.

A floor supervisor told me that they issued an inconvenience credit of $15 and will not charge me for the 4 days when I didn't have service (which would be logical to expect!). Even though the supervisor assured me that I don't need a new modem and my old one would work just fine, I went ahead and bought a new modem just in case. When 4 days later another technician arrived, he could hardly figure out what the problem with the initial installation was. He eventually realized that the first technician connected my service to Spectrum box! When he fixed that, he was not able program my old modem and (without my permission!) used my new modem that he saw on my desk.

Just three days later after all this ordeal, I received a bill that charged me the full amount for the whole month without any credits applied. When I called customer service to demand promised discount, they gave me only partial credit and argued that the amount is based on my monthly rate. There were no notes on the account left by the supervisor and I couldn't prove my point. It's the worst internet provider that I have ever had and their customer service representatives are unprofessional and poorly trained. The company's policies are not aimed at customers' satisfaction at all, but only on making money at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We moved to Dunedin, FL in 2017, at that time WOW gave the best price service and I signed up for the internet. I specifically asked him if the prices valid without signing a contract and he said “Yes.” Because we did not want anything longer than a year because we know that we would move to a new place. As planned we moved to a new house and called WOW 3 times to transfer our service and they told me that they do not offer service in my new area. They said they would cancel my service and never mentioned about charging me a fee.

When I received my bill I saw $270 early cancellation fee for 2 years contract, I disputed it with them because I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to transfer and also I repeatedly explained that I did not sign any contract for 2 year service. I called and finally was able to speak to a supervisor and she told me there's nothing she can do and I have to pay that unless I have an military order or something like that. I am so disgusted with this company. BE CAREFUL. You don’t have to sign a contract to have a 2 years bond, they said “It was a verbal contract that we’re holding you to.” And it is a huge LIE!!! DO NOT GO WITH WOW if it is not your only option!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I was approached by a salesman after looking at WOW packages online. I specifically said I was not interested because of the uncertainty of increase amount during the 2nd year of the contract. He assured me the account would only increase by $10 the second year. Based on the discounts listed on my first bill that will expire after one year, the increase for the 2nd year will be $20. When I contacted the billing department, they said they did not have another discount that could be applied to the second year.

They basically said tough, the salesman lied, and they can't do anything for me. Therefore, if you are considering a WOW two year agreement, note that no matter what you are told, there are no guarantees for the last half of your contact. At least with Xfinity, you know your bill will not increase within the two year contact period.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Poor internet service. Internet went out for days on a monthly basis. Would call in to customer service to have it repaired only to be told that they would send a tech out in a few days. Finally when the tech came out he found out that the line was cracked due to prior tech's install. I found this odd since no one else seemed to be able to detect what the issue was.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Your people need training on how to handle unhappy customers. Your equipment is sub par to say the least. I've had my gateway and boxes replaced twice and I'm still having issues. The last time I had a technician come to my house, he was 4 hours late. Maybe instead of overbooking your technicians route, hire more technicians and spread the work out. Also, there should be no reason to keep a technician out on a route for 12+ hours. I expect a phone call from a supervisor tomorrow (8/18) or you can find your gateway and cable boxes on the curb.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been for 3 days a technician to come and set up my new internet connection. WOW! office is literally across the street. Eventually WOW! told me that a technician will come between 11:00 am and 1:00pm. I took this time off from my job and although I called WOW 3 calls I had to wait until 2:30pm and no technician ever arrived! As a new customer I am very dissatisfied with their so far service and efficiency.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Approximately five years ago I first tried WOW!'s cable tv service. They sent an arrogant young installer who immediately upset me when I caught him standing on my AC compressor to drill a hole. It did not get any better and when he was finished I had a snowy/grainy picture. He scheduled service to come back but the service person told me "that's as good as it gets". So I told him to remove it and I went with another company.

Last Friday I tried again after receiving a postcard that offered a slightly better deal than I currently had. This would turn out to be a huge mistake. I got very little sleep the night before worrying what might go wrong this time. I had rescheduled this appointment several times as I was having a main room remodeled. I pre arranged everything or so I thought. I mentioned several times to different CSR's that I wanted an experienced/seasoned installer. I was told this would not be a problem. I also asked that if there are problems again this time I want the installer to rewire everything back to my old system.

Again I was told this is no problem. The installer arrives at around his scheduled time of 8:00 am and I meet him outside. The first thing I ask is "how long have you been an installer". He answers "8 months" which slightly upsets me. I should mention here that when I was younger I worked for a cable company for ten years. I knew 8 months does not make a seasoned installer. I also told him that if everything is not right he would have to switch it back to the way it was. When he heard this he called in to have a lead installer join him which made me feel a little better.

Everything started out fine but when the lead arrived after about an hour he went to the living room outlet to check the cable. Unaware that the installer already had all the outlets opened and detached he pulled on the cable and out of the basement outlet. The installer informed him of this so he said we will just replace it and pulled it all the way out of the wall. Now they have to rerun a cable that existed from the beginning. This not only took over six hours and a second lead but they also drilled a hole through my stairwell. They told me they would have a contractor call me to fix it.

Ok, at this point nothing is working yet (cable, phone or internet ). So they start replacing everything (cables, splitters, wall plates, converters) to no avail. At about 4:30 pm the lead tells me he is officially off duty but he will stay until everything is working properly. I tell him that I really appreciate that. An hour later I overhear him tell the installer that he should leave because of overtime. I remind him of what he said earlier. He smiles and continues to work for about another twenty minutes before slipping out the back door without a word. This made me angrier than I already was. The installer stayed and kept trying to get everything to work but still no luck. I notice he keeps trying to reach his dispatcher for help with no answer.

After over a half hour of this I got fed up and called the company to complain. The dispatcher now calls him but was no help. I started talking to the dispatcher and he was making me more and more angry and he actually hung up on me. Now I was fit to be tied, the installer now gets his supervisor on the phone as I realize it is now past 7:00 pm and they have been here over 11 hours. I have not eaten and I had something scheduled for that evening. I tell the supervisor that this is not working out and I want my cable switched back over to the other service as promised. He tells me that they don't do that and he wants to send another person over. I again tell him no I just want my old service back. He says if I don't want it he will tell the installer to just pull the boxes and leave.

I tell him only if he pays any bills I might incur over this, he reluctantly agrees as he did not have much choice. The installer now rips through the house in about three minutes pulling their equipment and runs out the back door without saying a word. The TVs, computer and phones were left disconnected and in disarray. Wires, splitters and scraps were left everywhere. They even left two of their own remotes and a converter plug in wire. I call my present cable provider to schedule service but they can't come for two days so I now have absolutely no service.

I then called in to Wow! very angry to check that a contractor was scheduled and to arrange a call back from a manager. He confirms that a contractor should be calling me as soon as Monday and sets up a call back from a manager for the following day at 4:00 pm. I never received a call from a manager or a contractor and it is now over 5 days later. This company is a joke and I advise anyone that has another choice to stay away.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Every end day they have issues with their internet. When we call support or Head of the department they always have one message to pass everyone "We are working on your line only". Disgusting and very poor connection.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I recently switched to the WOW internet only service so I could switch to streaming services for TV as well as telecommute. I was supposed to get 500 Mbs download and 50 Mbs upload. I'm lucky if I can get over 10 Mbs download on a regular basis. Trying to watch a live recording or something DVR and it stops or flat out fails to resume and tells me to come back later. It took over an hour to download a 45 minute video podcast because the network kept failing and I had to restart it every few minutes. And this wasn't during a high traffic time. It was in what should have been a low traffic period where the speed would be at its fastest. It is frustrating beyond belief. What's the point of paying for high speed internet when it only rarely gets above 30 Mbs?

Original review: July 6, 2018

I had an issue with my box and has an appointment on May 18th from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. I called several times when it ensure someone was coming out and kept getting a message that said someone was. I called back after 1:00 pm and was told someone was on the way, which was not the case. At 3:00 pm I called back to reschedule since I had to go to work and someone came out on Saturday. I was told I wouldn't be charged the $50.00 fee and when I opened my bill for my June payment it was listed.

I just spoke with Anna from customer service who said she could remove $25.00 and then I asked to speak with the supervisor. I spoke with Janine who again told me that they could only waive $25.00 on something I was told I wouldn't be charged. I have been a customer with Wow since 2003 and for them to have me wait all day and then charge me is unacceptable. I will make sure to let everyone know how their service is and will be looking at switching to Mediacom.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I recently had reason to pull a copy of my credit report. Imagine my surprise in finding an ongoing collection of $900 by Credit Management out of TX for an account opened in 2/2014 with Wow! Cable. Except I didn't have Wow! Cable in 2014. How this reads is that I opened up an account with them in 2/2014, and it went to collections in 4/2014 and in that short time, I accumulated an exactly $900 bill. How is that even possible? It's not. Because I actually had Comcast during this time.

But I didn't notice that this co. out of TX (I'm in Detroit), junk debt buyers, had but a $900 collection on my credit because of Wow! Cable since they bought it 2 years ago. I have not had an outstanding $900 bill from Wow!, I have never been contacted by them or any non-descript collection group, ever, at all. I ran my credit report and this has been sitting on there for 2 years, but because I don't usually pull it, I would not have noticed.

Everyone who has done business with Wow! should pull a free copy of their credit report. How does this even happen? And how did I run up an exactly $900 bill with them in less than 2 months? It's not even possible. Luckily with a lot of going back and forth, I was able to get it removed off of Experian. I didn't know about this collection, and a few years ago, we switched from Comcast to Wow! Not in my name.

When we called to see about getting our slower Internet speed from what it was, I think 20 Mb, to their advertised 100 Mb, then later to the 500 Mb, we were told what everyone else is, that it's for NEW customers only. What? That makes 0 sense if you want to keep customers. But not apparently to "keep" us, they are lying and saying we all "signed" contracts, though this is over the phone, so now they recorded you verbally, except there is no way they're able to find that recording of you agreeing to any contract.

Now Wow! speeds are up to 1 Gb, but forget it if you are a paying, loyal customer, because you get to keep the slow speeds and they have no reason. Our bill has also kept going up, here and there. I came upon these reviews because I now see on our bill there is a monthly $3.99 fee for their "monthly guide". We didn't subscribe to this or agree to it, were not even told, they just started adding it to the bill.

Check your bill too, the $3.99 is probably on there. This is exactly like the illegal practice of "cell phone cramming", but it's a cable provider doing the same thing. There is also no way any longer to see an "itemized bill", even in their PDF. The main page says we have "Medium Cable Plan" and "WOW! Internet". On the PDF it says "WOW! Renewal Bundle Plan... $140.00. Includes: Medium Cable Plan, WOW! Internet".

So what speed? What channels? Then it has "After a 30-day period, Early Termination Fees of up to $165 may apply if you cancel your subscription to Annual services during the term of your agreement." What annual service agreement? When did it start? When does it end? Next up "05/29-06/28 5 Yr Renewal Discount... -$22.50. $22.50 off Cable for 5 Years. 05/29-06/28 5 Yr Renewal Discount... -$22.50. $22.50 off Internet for 5 Years". I can say for a fact, we never signed up with Wow! for any 5 year contract.

So what they are doing to nickel and dime every month, is this: -a year ago our package "deal" was $105, now it is $140. -broadcast TV fee was $6.65, now it's $10.20. -Franchise fee went up $.60 and they are adding Sales Tax (!!!) to their monthly magazine we never asked for. But ours had started to sneak up little by little too. Then they can't give their customers any of the deals that they advertise, they're only for "new customers", which is really unheard of. Same with their pay channel deals. When you call them, half the time they're in another country and I for one can't understand what is being said.

Right now they're offering speeds of 1 Gb to their new customers, only. We are stuck at 65 Mb, tops. I am seeing this too: "WOW! also offers a 30-day guarantee where you can cancel your service for free. If you cancel outside of that first 30 days, however, it will cost you $345 for an early termination fee. The fee will decrease by $15 each month into your contract." Did anyone agree to a $345 early termination fee? For cable? They're like Sprint cell phone bills were in 2005. How is this legal? We didn't enter into or agree to any contract like this, I don't see it on their site or their bill, so they're obviously NOT forthcoming, it's on a review site.

Highly recommend that you remove all of your saved billing info., they had 5 of ours, especially if you cancel so they cannot get into your account. Finally, if you pay with a credit card or debit card, you can do charge backs. Don't let them put random bills on your card or take money out of your bank account. And if they put something negative on your credit report, dispute it. Force the credit reporting agencies to supply PROOF to whatever they say you agreed to, and that proof is a signed contract with Wow! I did not know they had put anything on my credit report, and it was sitting there for 2 years.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I moved to a very small town and the only service provider available was WOW! I signed up for the internet and about 6 months later I bought a house. I called WOW! to transfer my service and they told me that they do not offer service in my new area. They said they would cancel my service and charge me a fee. I disputed it with them because I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to transfer. They were extremely rude to me and told me I was '**out of luck'. I called multiple times to speak to a supervisor and I was put on hold for over an hour before they dropped my call. 2 months later they charged my bank account $510. I called and finally was able to speak to a supervisor and she told me the same thing, there's nothing I can do and they can charge me whatever they want. I am so disgusted with this company.

Original review: June 19, 2018

WOW outsources their customer service employees which is a huge mistake. If you have a issue you can't understand them and they are rude! We had a issue with our cable. Was on the phone for 2 hours with a representative who hung up on us when we asked for a supervisor! I called back and asked for a supervisor who spoke clear English. Come to find out per the supervisor you can ask to speak to someone in the U.S. Good to know! WOW do yourself a favor. Instead of saving money by outsourcing use U.S. employees who you can understand and do a much better job!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have had Wow now for about a year. I got tired of calling them up to come out and get the same working right. It is a worse internet and cable service I have ever had and customer service is not that great. Either I am going to switch to another cable provider. I would never recommend them to anybody. I'm sitting here now because my cable internet is not working again. I am both to get 100 megabytes. Every time I check it I am only getting about 25 megabytes but I'm paying for 100. Very unhappy this company. They're lucky they even got one star.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Poor, terrible, nonexistent service, the worst I have ever encountered!!! We have been calling since March to have our cable installed underground. The cable is currently hung up in the trees, on the ground and 2-3 ft. above ground. A pretty sight and a safety issue! THEY DON'T CARE! I have called numerous times, on the phone for HOURS and NOTHING GETS DONE! I have been told the job has been completed, REALLY! I will send you photos. I have placed several new orders, been given reference numbers, I have been told a supervisor will call, NOTHING!!!

Original review: June 4, 2018

WOW has become a four letter word around my office. This is by far the flakiest connection I have ever had to deal with, and I lived for a year on a satellite connection. It is so bad that I am moving my home service to another provider as well.

WOW! Internet Cable and Phone Company Information