1.99/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

YP Marketing Solutions

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

YP has been leading the way for local marketing in the U.S. for over 100 years. We strive to help local businesses and communities thrive.

Nearly 60 million consumers use the YP app and yp.com each month in the U.S. YP solutions connect consumers daily through online presence, direct marketing, local search, and so much more. Our services are backed by thousands of media professionals in local markets across the U.S.

Call us today to learn more!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

682 YP Marketing Solutions Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I'm trying to claim my business listing that is created and posted by somebody else. This is day number 4 that I am calling with you guys and every time I hear that I will receive a callback within a certain period of time. Of course, I never get a callback from YP. I don't understand how a big company like YP is not able to process such an easy request. Absolutely ridiculous.

Hi Brian -

We're sorry to hear of the issues encountered and for the lack of follow up. Our Client Care team will be reaching out to you in an effort to resolve this matter.

Ed

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

YP - Yellow Pages is the SPAM of SEARCHES. How do you stop YP from showing up in searches? Overtime YP searches started to show up more and more, and they are useless, and often totally incorrect. Now most searches for any business just fill the screen with YP garbage. I want to eliminate YP from my searches and BAN my accidental opening of a YP page. For something so inaccurate, clunky, and pointless it seems to have taken over my GOOGLE searches. At this point I would even start using a different search engine for business searches to avoid ever having my time wasted, and having to sort through YP SPAM.

Hi Clement,

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way. Thank you for providing your feedback.

Resolution response: Oct. 13, 2017

After filing this review I was contacted within a day by a YP executive. Who reviewed my cancellation email that was through human error sent to the wrong person. He recognized this mistake without any excuses and revoked the charges immediately..... My faith in YP has been restored.... We all make mistakes.... And they owned this one and rectified it. Sometimes this world can make you cynical... I'm glad I went through the proper channels... This system definitely works kudos to Consumer Affairs:-)

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased a web presence package and canceled it four hours later when I found out that my website domain name was registered incorrectly. I immediately sent an email cancellation and called. I still have this email which I forwarded to them after I received a bill and after a lot of back and forth. They refuse to recognize my cancellation and wanted their $87 for a service they never provided. After ignoring numerous inquiries regarding the status they forwarded my "account" to a collections agency. I should have listened to the other 600 plus reviews with similar complaints about improper business billing practices. Shame on them.

Cheralee,

I apologize that this has been your experience. I understand your frustration. I have created an escalation and client care has been alerted. They should be in contact with you very shortly.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I called on 10/3/17 to figure out when my contract expired. They told me it was renewed by the previous owner of the business after I purchased it. Which is very odd. My next bill was 500% higher than the previous bills since they are saying the previous owner upgraded the account. This business was bought over 8 months ago. According to them, I don't need to be alarmed since someone will call me back in 24 - 48 hours. Which is the exact same thing they have told me every time I call and no one calls me back (once someone did call back but did not have all the information and told me I would get another call). It’s hard enough trying to run a business without having these thieves in your pockets.

Jamie -

I sincerely apologize for your experience. I have created an escalation and a representative from client care will be in contact with you very shortly.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I called YP on March 2016 to cancel the business ad for the grooming part of the business because that is no longer a service offered. Along with the phone number which I'm trying to no longer tie to the business. But I continued to receive bills for the ad I canceled in time before the 2017 advertising year. I spoke to YP in 2017 and they said they found where I canceled in March 2016 and would send it to management to clear charges. But I continued to be billed. Eventually it went to a collection agency. I explained the situation to them and even sent letters. I spoke to several people with YP and The collection agency. The collection agency said they would redirect it back to YP and they did. YP told the collection agency they found where I canceled in a timely manner. I was told this when the collection agency called me back.

Weeks went by and the collection agency called again asking for payment. I was surprised and told them to read the files. She read the last part of the file and it read YP said I failed to cancel in time. I wanted to scream!!! I told them I will not pay for an ad I canceled in time. And for an ad for a service that is no longer offered by my small business and a phone number I am no longer using as my business number. If you choose to advertise with YP then beware of them still trying to collect payment after you have canceled in a timely manner, when you have done everything correct and the mistake lies with them. YP is at fault. The phone calls won't stop and I have told everyone not to advertise with YP!!! If I receive another bill for a 2018 ad after all of this, Then YP is definitely a poorly ran business. Do Not advertise with them!!!

Heidi,

I am very sorry to hear about the situation regarding cancellation. I have created an escalation for your issue and a client care representative will be in contact with you shortly.

Brooke

How do I know I can trust these reviews about YP Marketing Solutions?

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

When I first got contacted I met with a very nice gentleman who sold me on advertising and told me I could get up to 12 calls a month and before I signed anything he said I could cancel at any time. I JUST HAVE TO CALL HIM. Well two month pass and not one lead other than other salespeople calling me from the advertisement. So I called to cancel and no answer, I called him for about a week and then finally decided to call YP customer service and they just threw me in loop for a whole month telling me someone would call me and with many case numbers open. No one would help me.

While In the meantime I called the sales rep almost every day in hopes he would pick up but nope. So finally I emailed him and got an automatic reply stating that my sales rep has quit his job on August 30th and that I had a new sales rep that YP did not mention for the whole month I’ve been talking to them. So I am still hoping my cancellation goes through. I'll keep fighting. PLEASE NO ONE TRUST YP. They make their money on keeping you as long as possible without you making any real money.

Hi Amir -

We hate to hear of the dissatisfaction outlined regarding your account and issues encountered regarding follow up. We apologize for this matter and any inconveniences as a result.

I've escalated your concerns to our Client Care team for follow up. You will be contacted in an effort to address all concerns with hopes of working toward a resolution.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I had been a advertiser in the Yellow Pages for many years... always received a call to verify my business info prior to either a face to face or recorded conversation verifying my desire for my ad renewal. Kept waiting this year, no calls... out of sight out of mind. To my surprise book arrived and my business ad not only is in the book without a contract agreement but the ad is larger. Help, what can we do to remove these changes? I'm researching person of service for YP Media. I think a lawsuit is the only remedy!

Hi Phil -

I apologize for any confusion surrounding your ad and service. This matter has been escalated to our Client Care Team for prompt follow up. They'll be reaching out to you regarding all concerns.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

After many, many years our company decided we did not need YP service for $33.50 a month. I called to cancel as we received a letter informing us we had to call in any changes by a certain date. When I called customer service was combative, twisted my words, continually talked over me and tried to "churn" business. He said we had features (which we do not) and owed money that we did not! I tried to be kind and courteous thinking he would be the same. Terrible customer service. Horrible experience trying to cancel service. Would never recommend. Buyers beware!!!

Hi Debby -

I'm sorry to hear of the matter outlined and apologize for any inconvenience as a result. Our Client Care Team will be reaching out to you regarding your concerns.

Ed

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I speak for a small business in Southern Rhode Island. The owners have a slight communication barrier and speak in broken english, which also makes reading 12-page contracts difficult. So they let their sales rep talk them into three additional services, ypSearch, ypPresence, and ypLocal, in addition to creating and publishing their website, for a 12-month contract. The results of these added services are a gamble, and she was concerned about them not paying for themselves. The rep assured her that she could cancel anytime (any of the 3 additional services). Less anxious, she agreed.

The contract appears to have been sent to her electronically... She did not sign by hand. (Docu-sign)? Nowhere in the contract does it indicate that the three additional services were on a "trial", or they are on monthly auto-renew. The language therein committed her to 12 months for the three extra services to "try" as well as the site/hosting. All at $550+ per month. This small business must now earn extra money just to pay YP services. This arrangement is simply not cost-effective for a geographically limited brick-mortar service model such as this one. Staying on this monthly plan is significant overhead with no return on investment... Breaking even would be acceptable, but there's no possibility.

The instructions for cancellation within the contract indicate that a "written" request must be submitted to customer.care@yp.com. We've done that. We've done certified letters, phone calls are not returned. Customer service reps continue to apologize and take messages. They can't enforce callbacks from sales reps. We emailed the Medford MA marketing services headquarters from which we now our rep and his supervisor work. We inquired if our sales rep was dead... Why is he not returning calls about request to cancel. We are keeping the website and paying the monthly fee for that during remainder of contract. Silence. I will not name the service rep or his supervisor herein, in hope that this will be resolved very soon.

It was clear after 10+ weeks, from the traffic reports and phone calls that only 23 leads, or calls came in. Listening to them, it is clear they are too far away to be served by us in our shop, or they are telemarketers, or wrong numbers. The YP Computer counts 23, and thinks a goal is met; it's job done. But the lead is not targeted to my walk-in shop. This careless setup cost us $52/phone call/inquiry ($600x2/23).

We understand YP can't guarantee each lead becomes a sale, but the lead should be targeted and qualified at least geographically. The sales rep has not followed up with any after-the-sale assistance, account monitoring, effectiveness, recommendations for changing strategies, keywords, miles radius, etc. In fact, one of the paid services, ypPresence is supposed to improve your accuracy percentage of your online presence, by ensuring all their listings are up-to-date, accurate, and full of rich content at all times. Um, their own tool showed a 59% failure rating. So what value did we get from that $138? Our account rep or YP staffer should run the tool and make correction to improve the score. It's a ghost town inside my account.

The account rep has abandoned them after-the-sale. He refused to return the multiple phone calls, emails, and written letters sent. We check status of our "issue" ticket **, and it remains "in progress" day after day. We need contact and verification of cancellation before end of September so another invoice is NOT generated and lands in collections for nonpayment. If this happens, charges will be reversed by submitting a dispute with the credit card bank. Trusting in "someone's" integrity over there at YP!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

After being a YP yellow pages ad customer for past 8 or 9 years (Chimney Sweep business) I went in another business direction and closed my sweep business. I NEVER authorized ad renewal for 2017/2018, yet they printed my ad in the Sonoma County book. I kept getting calls for the closed business, finally checked the book - wow! Why was my ad in there? Called account receivable rep today at 11:04pst and was told that "ad automatically renews, we changed the terms of service - we called you 8 or 10 times and did not get a call back to cancel so we renewed" or something close to that effect. I told the rep (who btw was combative and interrupting me) that "the past 8 or 10 years, EVERY YEAR I was told that in order for my ad to be published I had to give recorded verbal authorization". In the past there was always communication with the ad rep, I tweaked the ad sometimes changing wording or color or size etc.

The accounts receivable rep was increasingly verbally confrontational (I can only imagine what abuse he takes, no wonder, he is not very skilled at customer service!) and kept talking over me trying to tell me I was wrong. After a US Park Ranger career I can easily recognize confrontational people and this guy was one of them - unfortunately I ended up losing by temper and told him he was "an arrogant **" - he told me "thank you" and hung up on me (as was his right - however his attitude, increasingly confrontational as the call progressed, seemed designed to elicit this type of response from me). How can it be that for the last 8 years or so my ad needed to have RECORDED VERBAL AUTHORIZATION from me to be renewed - but this year - magically - it's "automatically renewed"? Seems like a big SCAM to me! Now getting dunned by collection company to pay past due for this year (2017/2018) and monthly left from last book.

Hello Jon,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to YP's attention. I have received your request and am reviewing your account. I will be contacting you within 48 hours to address your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

Not 1 lead or new customer since I STARTED Advertising with this lying company. I have read a lot of the reviews and I too have experience the same treatment and lack of business. I had 0 business/0 new clients from my expensive ad and website. Everyone, thank you for your reviews. Your reviews has shown me the problem is not my business's failure, it's the advertising company I entrusted my business with. We all need to file a class action law suit. YP it is over! YP do not attempt to reply to my review as you have with the other reviews. I am DONE with your company!!! I can do bad by myself.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

These jokers convinced me to keep my listing with them. Then they call back about two months later wanting me to make additional changes. I asked if it had been printed yet because I was led to believe from the last person that it soon would be. She said no so I said just cancel it then because I had decided to go with Google AdWords instead after seeing the ridiculous search suggestions YP was giving me. Then they claimed you can't cancel it. After almost 9 years with them I'm done with them. They still send me bills and leave messages.

Hello Dan,

Chysa

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We were pitched very well on a couple of products; PPC & Directory. For our small business this monthly payment was a serious investment. We were promised stellar results. Our campaign started May 28th, 2017. The results were terrible, and our ROI was non-existent. We found several mistakes on our landing page, and mentioned numerous times that our geographical parameters were incorrect. We were receiving calls from other countries, other states, spam calls, you name it, our customers also informed us that the number YP showed was not in service (resulting in a loss of sales).

We voiced our concerns to Paul ** numerous times, who presented himself as our sole contact, and success manager. Come to find out, that this is incorrect. We were never contacted by our actual success manager, Paul **, and were not allowed per Paul ** to speak to anyone else on our team unless he was involved. He was disrespectful, unprofessional, and acted inappropriately by degrading the female team that was overseeing the account with YP. He did not find anything wrong with our campaign, and stated that YP is doing a great job for us. He was emotional, and was very unprofessional; he conveyed that his fiancée (he willingly disclosed her name) works for YP as well, and disclosed information about her accounts that she is overseeing. We voiced that we wanted to alter this campaign, we wanted to simply stay on the directory and that's it. Paul ** said that was not possible, and stopped all communication.

After multiple meetings and phone calls we were able to get in contact with Jamie **, a YP supervisor. After numerous calls and weeks of silence we were told by her that her team; Paul **, informed her that he had resolved any issues with us which is absolutely incorrect, in fact we never received a phone call or email from anyone in YP. Once we were able to get in contact with Jamie, she said Craig **, Paul ** manager would call us: conversation between our team and Craig ** has yet to happen (we have been waiting for over 2 weeks).

All we simply want is a phone call! It is recklessness, and completely unacceptable to lie to people, and take their money every month. This is a scam. YP promised us results, however the only results we are seeing is our bank account being charged. They are collecting money and leaving their clients in the wind. We are frustrated beyond belief, we are horrified, and feel that we have been taken advantage of. YP does not communicate well with their clients, nor provide proper customer service. This whole situation has been very disappointing.

Greetings Sharon

We have forwarded the Consumer Affairs post to Sales, as we could not find any record of advertising ever being sold for the company listed in the post.

If you have an account number to reference, please update the post so that we can further research and find resolution on your behalf.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

We have been loyal customers of YP for years... Paid all of our bills. In 2012, I started a website that became so popular that by 2016 we felt that we no longer needed their services. They called and harassed us and insisted we try them once more, yet I refused. They called every day for weeks and once spoke to my wife. She was not aware of anything to do with the account and she never told them "yes", which btw, if they call, just keep saying no, no, no... Because they try to trick you into saying "yes" to record you.

Anyway, they claim they have a recording of me saying yes. They do not... And to this day have never produced this recording to back up their claim. When you call to clear things up, they put you on lengthy holds claiming they are researching the recording, and every time, 6 times so far, they hang up on me, and when I call back it's a repeat of the last call. These people are CRIMINALS... And if I ever get stuck in the elevator with their CEO Jared Rowe, I might just have to give him an earful for all the trouble his loser company has caused my company...

UPDATE ON 10/18/2017: They fraudulently set up a voice contract of which I am most definitely am not in the contract... To make matters worse, after claiming on this site that I owed nothing, they now send me a collections letter. These people are the most thick-headed, obnoxious and outright fraudulent bunch of fools I have ever seen. DO NOT USE THEM... EVER!!!

Good Day Joseph,

In an effort to address the concerns with your account, we have called and sent emails.

At YP, our standards for both our product and service, and customer satisfaction is very important to us. We always strive to create the best possible experience for our customers. We checked the YP Account and found no paid advertising with YP since 2012.

If you would like assistance with this or any other account that you may have with YP, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

On 3/7/17, I signed a digital advertising contract with YP.com. The agent explained to me the process in which I would gain leads that could generate new business. After all, is that not the point of advertising? My expectations were and are not unrealistic. But to not get any leads is outrageous to me. As of today, 9/12/17, I have not received one legitimate lead. Any "so called lead" has been from wrong numbers, solicitors and the like. Even at that, I cannot hear anything on the call. It does not even connect. And yet, YP continues to charge me $300 every month.

I have complained to the sales rep who has spoken to the responsible people and there has been nothing forthcoming. Through the grapevine, I have heard about some sort of credit on my account - but no one has told me that directly. Even if it is true, it is not enough to cover all the months so far into this contract.

Likewise, I submitted a case myself and a couple days later I received a message that it must have been a missed call. This is ludicrous. A MESSAGE ON MY MACHINE WHO COULD NOT EVEN SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH!!! I am almost beyond words; I am so angry!

When I signed up, I received an email from YP regarding the YP Search Program Performance w/ the following benefits: YP handles everything, etc. - Don't have to worry about managing the campaign; Custom landing page drives valuable connections to your business and finally, YP gives consultation and optimization to ensure your campaign is performing. Further, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to call or contact YP. YP DOES NOT DO ANYTHING IT SAYS IT WILL DO. I WANT OUT OF THIS CONTRACT.

Hi Beverly -

I'm sorry to know of your frustration surrounding your account with us. This is definitely not the type of experience we want any of our clients to have. This matter has been escalated to our Client Care Team. They will be in contact with you to address all concerns.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I wanted to call and cancel my account after a month because I was getting more traction from Yelp than from Yellow Pages. I called customer service, they directed me to a Sales Associate who then was extremely rude and told me I would be taken to a collection office (where my credit would decrease after paying the full amount of my 12 month contract). Then she tried to persuade me to spend MORE MONEY advertising with them if I wasn't getting the traction I wanted. Let me get this straight, after being rude to me and not trying to work something out, you're going to try to sell me more advertising. Is that a joke? I will never advertise with Yellow Pages again.

Hi Lindsay -

I'm sorry to hear of the outlined issues, and apologize that customer service expectations weren't met during your attempt to discuss the matter. Our Client Care team will be in contact with you regarding this matter.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

My experience with YP started off great. I was sold to their service because of their "cover all bases" marketing strategy and their personalized representative. After months of not receiving any leads or connections through the internet, I tried to reach out to my representative. This is the representative that sells you their 12 month contract saying they will be in touch with you to review and optimize your online search engine optimization once a month. Then you call their customer service center to try and speak to someone around your representative. I don't know how many case numbers I requested with numerous fair complaints. The red flags were popping up all over, and I tried to take action to cancel the service. I was swindled by my representative, (who called back, good work Jimmy), into testing out the new optimized search strategy, (which should have been occurring every month).

I stated I still wanted to cancel, but let's see how it performs. I received a voice mail two weeks later, after I was supposed to hear back in about 3 days, saying if I don't hear from you, I'll assume everything is great. Thus far, it has been an 8 month nightmare, losing tens of thousands in business. I had done better marketing with Google on my own not knowing what I was doing. So now, when you're the owner and operator of a small business, I'm supposed to stop in the middle of my work day, (making money to pay into this scam), and try to reach out to leave a voicemail to not hear back for another two weeks? Or call more customer service morons who do nothing?

When I finally was able to stop my account, after ridiculous amount of stress and anxiety, I continue to get billed. I continue to get leads. I can't really afford any legal action, however at this point, I might start to try. Forget about the star system rating the experience, this is a smart and legal way they go about stealing from the customers that put their trust into them. Nothing short of criminal.

Good Afternoon Josh,

Per our records, the all YP advertising cancelled effective 8/8/17 & 9/15/17. Again, our apologies. We do appreciate your business and hope to be able to provide advertising at some point in the future.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I'm a business owner who pays for YP to feature my listing. A lady who was never a client, never called our office or who I have ever seen gave me a extremely negative review pretending to be a client. This lady, who appears to be unstable, stole my Facebook profile that has our 3 children under 5 years old in it. This is harassment. Scary harassment. Meanwhile after flagging it 3x and explaining situation, YP says doesn't violate rating and reviews guidelines. I'm paying for someone to slander me. Someone who is also stalking my family who must be mentally ill. They don't care about their customer. Oh did I mention this is all happening after we were hit by hurricane Harvey. YP is a sick company.

YP Marketing Solutions response

HI Sarah-I would like to apologize for the issues noted in your complaint. This is certainly not the experience we like for our customers to experience.

Your sales team was contacted and will be reaching out to you during next 24-48hrs in effort to resolve this matter.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

BEWARE! Absolutely DO NOT do business with these crooks. They will have their salespeople call you and make everything sound great and before you know you've locked yourself in a 12 month contract for $148 a month! I signed up and less than 11 days later I call to cancel. I was told it's impossible as I needed to cancel on day 10, haha, how convenient for them. I then asked if I could cancel after 6 months if it's not working and was pretty much told, "Tough cookie you signed a contract!" These people are crooks, please don't fall victim to them like the rest of us.

Good afternoon,

Our records indicate the YP advertising is already set to cancel on 10/1/17. This is the 1st available date after the cancellation request was submitted on 9/1/17.

Again, our apologies for your negative experience. We do appreciate your business and hope to continue serving your advertising needs in the future.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I had this hooked up and have not had one bite from anybody and they automatically took money out of my account without my permission. I am very disappointed. I told him I did not want YP no more and I was guaranteed work from Ness and I have not seen one thing. I am getting in touch with the Better Business Bureau and if anything comes out of my account again I will be seeing my lawyer.

YP Marketing Solutions response

I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your concerns have been received and are being reviewed. I will be reaching out to you to speak with you regarding your concerns.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

Worst product and worst service ever!!! We start working with YP in February 2017 a salesman named Zachary so he promised for us 7 to 15 more clients every month if we will sign the contract with YP for 6 month, so we did it and after 2 month we were trying to contact our salesman about that contract and ask him about his promise, "Where are the new CLIENTS???" He stated to us we are not alone in his schedule and he can’t help us. Then next month we called him again and operator from OTHER COUNTRY said to us he is not work anymore with YP. After that we asked to find another salesman, and after few weeks some female called us. She stated the previous salesman (Zachary) did everything wrong and because of that we can’t get a new clients from YP, but at this time we already paid more than $900.

After our talk with new salesman we get back the same promise and bright future with YP, but today after 6 month we still get = 000 = CLIENTS. So, on the end of all this story we get bill for $1200 more and YP send it to collections. So for now we will start build a case against YP for scam and not following their contract!!! If someone would like to join us please welcome! Also the YP portal was not working properly so we wasn't able to upload more than 10 photos. YP SCAM AND WORST COMPANY EVER.

Hello Ivan,

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I joined YP.com during the last week of May, 2016, after meeting with a very slick salesman named JOEY **. Mr. ** responded within minutes to a small questionnaire I had filled out online seeking advertising information. I agreed to meet with Mr. ** and when we met, he began to share with me all kinds of pie-in-the-sky information as to how well my business would do with YP handling my advertising.

One of the first questions I had asked Mr. **, was how long he planned to stay with the company, because I do not like being sold something only to have my ONE AND ONLY point of contact suddenly disappear. He assured me he was going to be with YP for at least the next several years and that I will always be able to reach him if I ever had any questions. Interestingly, he quit almost immediately after selling me their $300 per month pay-per-click plan, but, I assume, not after first receiving his nice commission for selling me this plan.

When I met with Mr. **, he told me since I didn’t have a website or URL he would take care of it. He showed me several of their landing pages they had created for current YP customers and they were beautiful. I was impressed. He assured me my landing page would be "mobile-friendly," meaning it could be accessed by mobile devices. He also assured me that no landing page would be created without my input, or permission, that I need to provide text and photographs, and that once built, I would be able to see the product BEFORE it was published. Well, after a month, I never heard from Mr. **. I called and called, but no answer. Finally, I called their main offices in Glendale, Ca, and was referred to a supervisor who had informed me that Mr. ** had quit at the end of May, 2016, right after I signed on the dotted line. I was very angry. I was assigned a new agent at that point.

About 2 weeks later, I started receiving calls here and there for my business. I asked callers how they found me, and they all said "the internet." I looked and found my business name on the internet, but NOT with my correct information, text, or photographs. I was ANGRY. After Mr. **'s reassurances that NOTHING would be published without my first viewing the site and giving permission, he had put in the request for publishing BEFORE he had quit, and without notifying either ME or his supervisor. After that, I was even more angry, and felt betrayed by his apparent lies. Even his supervisor and my new agent were stunned. It took over 2 months to clean up the mess left by Joey **, but things just got worse after that.

When I provided my text and pictures for my new landing page, the page was finally published, but looked NOTHING like the landing pages shown to me by Joey **. My page looked amateurish, and sloppy, with fonts which resembled something you would see on an old typewriter, and my pictures were squashed, elongated and distorted. A 2nd grader could have made a better landing page. I was told by my new sales agent that perhaps Mr. ** showed me one of their "premium" pages to induce me to buy the plan, for which he was very apologetic. Again, I was angry, but there was nothing I could do about it because I was on a budget, and that landing page was their cheapest page available. Also, trying to fix the fonts and pictures was not an option because the page was built overseas, and because of the nature of the plan, fixing the site was next to impossible.

Although they were able to correct a couple of mistakes on the site, it still did not meet up to my expectations. I felt out of control because the site was NOTHING like I was told or shown it would be, and I could do nothing to fix it. In 2000, when I had a single, quarter page ad in the Yellow Pages phone book costing $300 per month, I received more calls and had more business than I knew what to do with. That trusty paper book got me so much more than this landing page did. And, as for being "mobile-friendly," that was also a lie. My landing page was not accessible by any mobile device. After all this, I turned to Yelp, and started getting calls, since Yelp is mobile friendly, even with their free ad plans.

Now on to the great pay-per-click plan Mr. ** sold me. I was guaranteed 12 calls per month and barely getting those 12 calls. Amazingly though, I had told Mr. ** that 12 calls per month is not even CLOSE to what I needed. I needed at least 12 calls per DAY in order to close at least 2 or 3 customers. He assured me that I will receive significantly more calls than 12 per month, but he is only allowed to say 12 calls per month, because that's what the contract says. Well, another lie here because I did only receive 12 calls per month. It appears, on the surface, once they deliver the calls that were agreed upon, they turn off my program. I have never been given an answer as to why, month after month, my calls stopped at 12.

When the program was discussed we talked about a radius from Los Angeles. As of last March, 2017, they had it set to 40 miles (I only wanted 30 miles max) and taking me deep into South Orange County, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc, but, being an owner operator, those distances are way outside an acceptable range and do not convert into a job.

Next comes their online reporting. As of last March, when I decided to stop paying for their rip-off program, their report shows that 51% of my business since the program started comes from Google. If you look at their distribution detail at the bottom of the page it shows: 9335 Impressions, 338 Clicks, $448.32 spent on Google. So when you look closely at their figures it does not make any sense. YP is stating that of the money spent the cost per click is $1.44 which is lower than listed on Google’s website, so what are they actually delivering? If they spent 51.29% on the budget on Google in the 8 months at $300 per month, this should be roughly $1,200 but only spent $488. Where did the balance of the budget go to?

Back to my landing page for a moment. They gave me a landing page that is only optimized around Temple City but using a 40 radius from Los Angeles for their search program. Also, the mobile landing page basically list my name and phone number with no call to action or reason to call me. When I was sold the program, I was told more than 50% of the internet users are doing so on mobile devices, yet mine does nothing for someone who is looking for a Bin Rental company on their smart phone. In addition, the number on the website is tracked by YP and they are taking credit for every search paid or not that ends up on their landing page. So, I really have no idea what they are delivering.

I have GREAT Yelp reviews, but YP’s website is the one that was listed so anyone landing on my Yelp page gets tracked back to YP.com. It is the same for Yahoo & Bing. YP is taking credit for every call that comes from those sites organically. I have since published my own, standalone website that is linked to Yelp, and it is doing well, and cost less than 1/2 of my amateurish YP landing page.

Now, let’s look at my key words. There is a total of 586 key words they are using. 229 for Google or 39.2% and 357 to Bing or 60.09% Bing yet they say 51% of the traffic is coming from Google with the emphasis of key word list is going to Bing. I printed a list of my key words and the majority of cities listed in the key words are: Riverside, Santa Ana, Moreno Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Long Beach, Anaheim, Garden Grove and Fullerton. As of March, 2017, I did not see any cities like Los Angeles, Pasadena, Alhambra cities local to my office. Not surprisingly, I'd say 90% of my calls generated by my YP landing page are from areas that I cannot, and do not, serve. I have had calls from as far away as Fremont, CA; Austin, Texas; Blythe, Ca; Bakersfield, Ca; Temecula, Ca; and ALL these areas are WAY outside my service area, and these are most of the calls I had received from my YP site.

Every time I put in a call to fix the problem, nothing seemed to change, despite the best efforts of my current sales person. So, it appears YP does what they want, use deceptive tactics to make you believe their program is performing better than it is, and turning it off when they achieve the agreed upon calls. Shame on you YP! I must make note that I stopped paying on this miserable contract back in April, 2017. I refuse to pay for a plan which was over-promised by a slick salesman, yet under-delivered. I was suckered into this plan based upon what I believe to be Mr. **'s pre-planned deceptions to get me to sign the contract, knowing he was going to quit. The price and cost do not translate to actual jobs. In essence, I was throwing my money down the toilet.

I must, however, give props to his replacement, Cedric **. Cedric has been there with me through thick and thin, doing the very best he could with a less than acceptable situation. Cedric has done everything possible to make my experience better, but, unfortunately, Cedric's hands were tied due to the nature of the plan I had bought. There was very little Cedric could do at that point, but I am thankful for his efforts. In my opinion, Cedric's talents would be better utilized by a more reputable company. Cedric ** is, by far, one of the best in the business and I believe he could do better elsewhere, in my humble opinion.

Good Day Robert,

We are sorry to learn of the difficulties you've experienced with your YP advertising program. At YP , our primary goal is providing directories and customer service of the finest quality. In this case, it seems that we may not have lived up to the high standards we set for ourselves or those you expect and deserve.

We have sent you an email outlining the results of our research. We hope that this situation has been resolved to your satisfaction. If there is anything else we can do for you, please call our toll-free Customer Service line anytime from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Again, our apologies; we do appreciate your business and look forward to serving your advertising needs in the future.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I don't believe I have ever gotten any new business from YP Marketing. They keep trying different things, promising the next one will work. They talked me into shooting a 369 video of my business, and then when that got no results, another agent told me it probably wasn't a good fit for me. I got on their call program where they record calls that come through their internet listing, and then they failed to record them for several months. When they did, I could see I wasn't getting any useful calls. I finally tried to get out of my contract since I have found another company which has already started getting me some business, but of course they won't let me out. And since I made it clear I wasn't going to renew them when my contract is up in three months, I haven't heard from them at all, I haven't gotten any calls in a month, and I might as well flush the money I still have to pay them down the toilet.

Hi John,

Joe @ YP

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I initially requested a mail out. The proof they sent me was smudged and just awful. I told them their services were not needed due to their proof. They never sent a mail out. I never got a confirmation of mail outs but they billed me $1,200 which I REFUSE to pay because services were never rendered and the agent who was helping no longer worked there. Now I'm receiving letter stating they are going to sue me. Sue me for not doing their job??? RIDICULOUS!!! They never mailed out anything, and how do I know because I told them I didn't want it after seeing their proof and let's say they "did" hypothetically mail out my mail outs, I would've gotten a phone call about my post card at least 1 time and I got 0 calls. That's how I know they never mailed out ANYTHING!!! You can't bill someone then try to sue when they did nothing. I wish I could get paid 1,200 for nothing.

Hello Angelica,

I wanted to follow up with our phone conversation and let you know that we have taken care of this matter for you. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I am a small business owner with next to nothing for any kind of ad budget. I received a call from their sales at the end of June 2017 promising that I would get more than enough leads and calls to pick and choose from. The only calls that I received were from other companies like them. I called the sales rep wanting to cancel my contract over all of this and she said she would block those form of calls from my profile listing. In the past few weeks, I have received nothing. No calls. No leads. Absolutely nothing! I gave it an extra month to be disgusted even more. This is a complete waste of money that I do not have to spend. I emailed again to cancel and have not gotten a response back. I have deactivated my bank card that this contract is linked to and am filing a complaint with Visa and my state Attorney General for fraud and gross misrepresentation. All I want is a confirmation of my contract cancellation and a full refund.

Good Morning Pamela,

We received this post via the Better Business Bureau and have submitted the inquiry to Sales so they can contact you regarding the advertising and how it should perform.

At YP, our standards for both our product and service, and customer satisfaction is very important to us.  We always strive to create the best possible experience for our customers.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

They don't contact you. They continue charging you and have all the wrong information. They renew automatically and try and charge large amounts of money and expect you to pay. Do not sign up with them. Looking back I do not know how we even got started with them.

Good Afternoon, Lori-

My apologies for the frustration surrounding your account and billing. Be assured that YP will be promptly reaching out to you in an effort to address the matter at length, with hopes of working to resolve.

Thank you, Karmita.

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2017

The issue has been resolved and I am very happy with the way the Executive Escalation Team at YP handled it, once I was able to figure out that they were people I needed to speak with. Thanks guys!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I received a call from a YP telemarketer. Once I figured out it was a telemarketing call I said, "I'm all set, no thank you" and hung up. The guy then left me a 1-star review on Google saying that I was "extremely rude". He left the same review for another local business guy. Here's a screenshot of reviews left by this YP telemarketer: http://prntscr.com/ga92mx

We live in an age where robocalls and telemarketers are part of the everyday experience of being a small business owner, I get it, but this is clearly taking it too far. Something similar happened with Yelp (not YP) a few years ago and the staff responsible for that were fired. Here's more information on that similar case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C67Lh4LE5LY I'm interested to see if YP will own up to this.

Hello Mr. Henry,

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to get this issue resolved for you. We were able to get this resolved, again I apologize should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kanetta @ YP

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We have used YP advertising for years. Unfortunately this advertising has not been effective for us at all. In fact, our use of Google online services has been far more successful. When I called to cancel, I was informed that my account was set up for auto renewal. When I agreed to the original contract (including voice verification), there was no mention of auto renewal. Now I am being forced to continue paying for a service that does not appear to benefit my business. Ironically, I listened to my original voice verification today with a YP Supervisor and we both acknowledged that there is no mention of any auto renewal. We both also acknowledged that my voice verification included a start date and an end date for my contract. I was informed that no manager or supervisor in Customer Service was able to cancel my contract. I was informed that I would need to contact Legal Claims.

I asked for a copy of my voice verification, I was informed that I would need to contact Legal Claims. Anyone doing business with YP Marketing Solutions should know that voice verification may include auto renewal. Anyone doing business with YP Marketing Solutions should know that Customer Service is limited in correcting these matters (even at the highest level). I spoke with a supervisor, then a manager of the supervisor and was still informed that I would need to write a letter to legal claims for any further assistance.

Hi Mr. Linder,

Your concerns have been resolved. I understand you are extremely busy. Whenever you get a chance, just give me a call and we can discuss the details. Please log in to your ConsumerAffairs account to update your resolution experience and evaluate your star-rating.

Nicole YP

Hello Mr. Linder,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to YP's attention. I have received your request and am reviewing your account. I will be contacting you shortly to address your concerns.

Nicole YP

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I was contacted by phone from a YP representative with a nice sales pitch. It sounded like a reasonable deal so I signed up for a year and a monthly payment of 1500 USD for local listings in the YP directory and good AdWords marketing with a budget of 1000USD. In the first month the advertising budget for Google budget was burned in the first 3 days of the month. With keywords, I explicitly had blacklisted before. But those keywords and some other pricey keywords went through the budget real quick.

Of course I contacted my so called "success manager", a guy name Sean ** and his superior, who helped him to get my signature in the first place, name Carlos **. I called several times and sent emails to both of them. I never heard back from Carlos, and it's been 7 months now since my first email. Finally I got a hold of Sean and told him I'd like to see some details, like keywords being used for the campaign and some statistics preferably in Google analytics.

Until this day I still have not received any qualified information about what actually happened to the budget. They provided access to their portal where you can see some really nice graphs and some statistics. Problem is, none of those did match my Google analytics information. So I asked for a code to use to track the success of the campaign myself. "We dont do that" was Sean's reply to that. In other words, "You have to trust the nice numbers we present you" even though, there's no evidence that those are accurate.

SO I could have just knocked on my neighbor's door and ask him "Hey, what do think how many clicks did I receive from my YP AdWords campaign," and the random number he would come up with would not be more or less accurate. It's just BS in my opinion. Until this day I have no idea how much money they actually put in the campaign. But I did get the keyword list... and all the keywords I have blacklisted before were still in there so I did it again. Next month... the budget was holding up better. At least that's what they told me, since I still had no evidence whatsoever if there was even an additional click to my website. But I was curious, so I asked again for the keyword list and surprise surprise... all blacklisted keywords still there, still consuming 90% of the budget.

Let's say you sell cars, and your campaign should bring in some leads. But the only leads coming in are interested in tires. Because... you also sell tires. But that's not what you want right? So I called and emailed again. I couldn't reach Sean but one of his colleagues. He helped me to finally delete the Keywords from the list. Then I was asking about the areas where the ads being displayed and the time of day... To make a very unpleasant and time-consuming story short... since I started the campaign they failed to provide any evidence or details to me. I still dont know if there's any adjustments or optimization being made over the last 8 months. I still have absolutely no clue what happens to the money I transfer every month. No idea! This is something I have never experienced in my life.

It is worth mentioning that I did not see any increase of clicks or demands or conversions. Which of course was my intention by signing up with "America's best advertising company." Not to mention the little details like the "call tracking feature" that only worked in the first 3 days and after that... I was promised it will be fixed. After the 3rd month my "success manager" dropped the ball completely. Because me repeatingly asking for information and details obviously seemed to bother him very much and he probably had better things to do. So he "promised" me to be back with the requested information but he never did.

And so we keep playing this game every month: I call and request information and details (although I really dont care anymore) and he keeps promising me he will ask other departments and gather those information for me (but he never calls back). I admire his superior though, he did not even reply once, why bother with all those customers that are unhappy... I get that. So if you think you should put money into a Google AdWords campaign "managed" by YP Marketing Solutions... I recommend either buy something nice for yourself, like a new suit or new golf club or whatever or just open your window and attach your business card to your 10 dollar bills and just throw it out. You will have more feedback and revenue than you will ever have with YP!!! Just dont...

Hello Mr. Petru,

I sincerely apologize for the unfavorable experience you've had with your YP advertising. I have reached out to your sales team and someone will be contacting you regarding your account. Again I do apologize, YP appreciates your relationship with us, as we would like to continue our partnership for many more years to come.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

It started off fine for the first year and then the whole deal changed. After spending $100,000.00 over the years it wasn't about performance anymore. It was about how much time and money YP could extort from their customer. Even after cancelling the ad they continued to run it and then charge me for it even after I clearly sent the cancellation email. Then their whole investigation process took months of time and they kept ignoring the evidence. Then they send me to their internal collections when they had credit cards on file. Stay away from this company, it has went beyond hell!

Hi Ronald,