1.19/5
Based on 175 reviews that contain star ratings

Malvern, PA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

185 Progressive Business Publications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Online Resource is Amazing! After reading some of the reviews from prior years, I am not sure if there was a major change in how the salespeople represent themselves, but they do make it very clear that you are signing up for a subscription. Never once did they say the word "free." I have my conversation recorded, which all are at my place of employment... so maybe you all should pay more attention when on the phone. I have used this information and find it to be very valuable with saving time and money. I mean all you have to do is call and cancel, if you don't like it... put it on your calendar and a pop-up will remind you to call if you truly want the information for "free." My word take some accountability for yourself people!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

This is the first year our company has used this newsletter. My team has been pleasantly surprised with the relevant content, the quizzes, the checklists and resources available with this product. The cost is affordable. The customer service is great. The articles are short and to the point, not wasting our time. I would highly recommend this product. Another bonus is if you are not sure this is right for you they do offer a free trial that you can try out and see if this is something you would benefit from. I will be reaching out to our management to ensure we are able to renew when subscription is up.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I received a phone call and I accepted a trial subscription to Selling Advantage newsletter from Progressive Business Publications. After a couple of months of receiving the first editions, I found out one of my other sales managers already had been getting it for years. I didn't want my company to pay twice for the same info, so I called the 1-800# that was in the publications and Denise in customer service quickly took care of me in a matter of minutes. It Couldn't have been any easier. No worries, No hassles. I appreciate that.

Resolution response: Sept. 10, 2018

I received a call from the CEO of this company today who had already called ICR and spoke with them regarding our account, and removed our company from collections as well as spoke with them about the unprofessionalism of the representative who I spoke with. I am very grateful that they made this right, and I get to keep my job. I do believe this company means well.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I just received a call from a very unprofessional lady named Kathy at ICR as others have stated she was threatening to send account to collections if I did not pay by Friday. I have never heard of this business nor have we ever received any newsletters or other materials that they claim to have sent, but somehow we owe them money. After reading all the reviews I am curious as to how this business is still operating. Has anybody had any luck resolving this issue? I am now in fear of losing my job since we are a small business & I am not even authorized to order any materials, but they are saying I did order this & my office manager is upset thinking we are going to have an account in collections. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Progressive Business Publications began sending a newsletter to our company, unsolicited, and then sent an invoice demanding payment of $295.00. Their invoice mentioned a name and listed a date which was supposedly this individual's birthday, and this was apparently supposed to be proof that this person had entered into the subscription. The individual named, however, has not been with our company for many years, and there are circumstances related to the named individual which prove this to be a total scam. Suffice to say that it would have been impossible for their claim to be true. Don't fall for their scams.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Business Publications?

Original review: June 12, 2018

These people are shady. I gave the ok for the guy to send me an email just to get him off the phone. I never even read the email. Got an invoice and sent it back saying Please Cancel! Now I get calls from a collection agency. They claim the email said I have to cancel or I would be charged. How can this be legal?

Original review: May 7, 2018

I have received 5-6 harassing calls from Kathy, and today from Chris, demanding payment for a subscription I neither asked for nor received. The negative reviews of these two companies for this scam are ongoing and I hope they get investigated and shut down.

Original review: March 14, 2018

As noted by many others, I received a phone call with a free offer for Foundation & Corporate Funding Advantage. Received invoices for the subscription... wrote cancel on the first and sent it back. Kept receiving pieces and just pitched them as junk mail. Got a phone call on Monday from a collection agent who informed me I owed $288. When I noted I sent a cancellation in was told I must not have "checked the barcode box" on the invoice... really?!?! So now my small nonprofit is out this money. Today I received an email from the company thanking me for my subscription which lead me to look at these reviews. Unfortunately I was scammed by this organization and will use everything in my social media/internet powers to warn people about their underhanded and disgusting business practices.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I received an unsolicited call from a sales representative asking if I would review a few publications free from Progressive Business Publication for "Keep Up To Date On Payroll" and they would follow up with a call which they did. I stated I was not interested and to cancel my trial subscription. Today, I received a collection call stating they were taking me to court for nonpayment! I looked up the company’s information, contact them, they are asking for proof that I canceled and that it had to be an invoice cancelation or proof of something in writing! I was told that informing the representative I did not want the subscription and to cancel was not the way to go about this. Apparently, they cannot cancel the subscription and my name and date of birth were attached to the information! This is a SCAM! Do NOT give your information to this publication company! There are other resources out there.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

This company called me unsolicited and asked if they could send me a few copies of their newsletter at no cost. I said sure...they were free and I'd take a look. Just got off the phone with a collections group who said I owe them $207.50 for their subscription. I said I never signed up for this nor wanted it. They said they sent me emails (so what?) and that they had been sending me invoices... Yes I received them but assumed they were just like the credit card applications I get that I don't respond to either. This company is scamming people into thinking they are offering free newsletters and then signing up for an annual subscription. I never signed anything or applied for anything - yet here I am paying the bill. This company's practices should be reviewed and investigated. ** is phone number of collections person, Kathy who called me.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Heavy handed phone call to send payroll updates via email. Was told if I found them helpful, I could renew for a fee. Never received-never renewed. Kept getting invoices in the mail. Was sent to collections and was contacted that my name was attached to invoices and that I/the company I work for had to pay the bill. Of course, I had to pay the $299 or lose my job. I am so ** mad at these losers! DON'T even talk to these people if they call you. They lie about their service and charge you without permission. PROGRESSIVE BUSINESS PUBLICATIONS ***SUCK***. Was contacted by Beckie ** from Intl Credit Recovery and she stated that I owed $299 and she would not give me any information since the bill was sent to them. Her callback number is **. I had to pay, or I would lose my job. I am out $299 which for me, is a lot of money. How can these people get away with this?

Original review: May 2, 2017

This is a complete scam. They say they receive authorization to send trial newsletters and then send an invoice demanding payment saying the trial period is over. No one at our office authorized the shipment. No one remembers receiving the newsletters, and this has happened before. Zero stars. I have called 1-800-220-5000, option 6, and spoke to Melissa to "cancel" the order we never made. Hopefully, they will not follow through with the threat to report to a credit agency. Bad company. Bad scam.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

A salesman from this company called me to push a magazine subscription. He did not say how much it was, as I just kept saying I was not interested at any price. Finally I agreed to accept a free magazine to review to see if it was something I would like. He said he just needed my birth month and date to send out the free month. That was in July. To this date I have never seen an invoice from this company. Didn't even see the free month, as it was probably tossed out because I do not have time nor interest in magazines. Today a collection company called me stating that they are going to enter a bad debt against our company unless we pay today. I told her good luck and have a nice day. I really hate loser sales companies who only make money off of scamming people.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Company names: Professional Business Publications, Progressive Business Publications, International Credit Recovery. What to do if collections calls you: The best way to handle the scam is to call 1-800-220-5000. DON'T PRESS #2 - PRESS #6 so you can speak to a live person. Seems that the same person always answers the phone - her name is Nicky. She was very nice and immediately canceled my 'subscription' (the one I didn't sign up for) - and I was told she would contact the credit company to tell them to stop collections. I'm assuming Chris from collections sits right next to her.

The Scam: Apparently they "Professional Business Publications" called me 6 months ago to offer me a free trial service. I don't recall this call and subsequently never received any publications from them to 'try' and never received any invoices. I got a call from International Credit Recovery (who is also part of the same organization) to tell me I owed $288. I asked the person "Chris **" to send me an invoice - which he did. He then proceeded to call me 4 times that day. He said I needed to either give him a credit card number or overnight a check. DO NOT DO THIS! THIS IS A FRAUDULENT COMPANY WHO HAS BEEN REPORTED TO NUMEROUS AGENCIES. In 2009 the USDA even sent out a companywide letter letting employees know about this fraudulent company and not to give any personal information or pay anything. This is a scam and if your efforts don't work to cancel - I would report them to your company's legal department.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Avoid at all costs. They reported my company to a collections agency, claiming that one of our employees "agreed" to a 30-day free trial of a subscription no one wants, then "failed to properly cancel" within the 30 days. So now we're being harassed by "International Credit," 607-748-4686 - Katie, for $250. "Katie" told me I should scold my employee, for doing something "they should not have done." It's a beautiful world.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I received a call late one afternoon from a salesperson (Chris) selling Administrative Professional Update. Truthfully, I just wanted him off the phone so I agreed to my "NO-RISK" order of Administrative Professional Update. I was told that if I enjoyed the magazine, a subscription was "just two-ninety-nine". Assuming this was a small Admin Professional magazine, I assumed this meant $2.99. When I received my confirmation email the next day, I saw the price of "$299.00" and emailed immediately to cancel.

Two weeks later I received FIVE email newsletters overnight from Progressive Business Publications or Progressive Business Education. After Googling the name and finding all of these reviews, I became concerned and called the 800 number referenced in several reviews (1-800-220-5000). The menu options have changed and you can no longer press #6. Option #2 is the cancellation department, but you must leave a voice mail or send an email to: customer_service@pbp.com. I emailed customer_service@pbp.com and received an email back from Nikki within (literally) 2 minutes stating that my account was cancelled with a zero balance. TL:DR: email customer_service@pbp.com right away and cancel!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

I got a call from a salesperson from Progressive Business Publications. They were very persistent about accepting free trial which we can cancel by returning the first invoice and marked "Please cancel," which we did, but after several month maybe 3 to 4 months we receive a bill from them with no phone number or email address so we ignored it. On 10-20-16 we get a call from a collection agency from New York City requesting payment of $299.00 which WE refused to pay. I DON'T recommend anyone to accept their trial offer due to the high number of complaints on this website.

Original review: June 8, 2016

Be careful... they cover their tracks. I got a call from a salesperson from Progressive Business Publications on May 04, 2016. She was very pleasant and I accepted the trial subscription just to get off the phone. I was told that if I chose to cancel, I could indicate on my invoice, when received, that I wanted to cancel and mail it back. She did confirm my birthday and immediately sent an email confirmation titled "The information you requested". In the email I was told I would receive a username and password via email within 24 hours. The email had no phone number or email address for the salesperson that I spoke to. I did subsequently receive a few e-newsletters. I did not ever receive the username and password via email.

On June 08, 2016, with no other contact information, I replied to the original email (to a generic mailbox) requesting to cancel. I then googled a phone number. I called 1-800-220-5000 and hit option #6. I spoke to Nicki. She was very nice and confirmed that my subscription had been canceled already so they must have cancelled in response to my email. An hour later, I got the invoice for $299... and wouldn't you know it... my birth date appeared on the invoice as proof that I agreed to the subscription. It also included a username and password and indicated that I received a written confirmation on May 04, 2016. Although I found the sales process to be a little pushy, I am pleased that I was able to cancel so easily. However, I will be back to comment if I get another invoice.

Original review: April 5, 2016

One of our employees was contacted and the company represented themselves as a new, local business and wondered if he would like a complimentary book. If he liked it, he could call and they would sign him up for a subscription. He never received a book, so he forgot about it. Now he's received an invoice and phone calls. I've played phone tag with the number of the person he gave me but made no live contact. I left a message requesting our account be zeroed out and informing them that we had received nothing.

On another review, I saw a different customer service number of 800-220-5000 option 6. I called it and spoke with Melissa, who was very pleasant and cancelled out our account and zeroed the invoice with no problems. She invited me to call back if we had any more issues or if the complimentary book ever showed up. So a bad situation with a dishonest company with hundreds of complaints against it, but a good experience with Melissa who was pleasant and professional to remedy it. If you are the victim of this scam, I recommend calling the number given here to get it resolved.

Original review: March 7, 2016

Got a call today that hit our Foundation up for $249. Sure smacks of a scam-type approach. I DID NOT solicit a membership, I DID agree to read your gratis bulletins. By not responding on a certain date you "hit" our Foundation up for $249 via a collection agency. Nice gesture by a non-profit group. If we wanted the publication we would have officially subscribed to it, and not having to be forced to pay for it. This one is going to the Better Business Bureau and to sister foundations.

Original review: March 2, 2016

My husband was called by one of their telemarketers while he was driving and told he would be sent a sample publication as a FREE trial and the terms and conditions would be sent to him via e-mail. He never received the terms and conditions and we have been mailed an invoice for $430 that he never agreed to which is now being sent to collections. One of the tactics that the telemarketing companies are using to get people to answer the phone is showing a local phone number on the caller IDs, which is also what happened in this case, further assuring me this is a scam.

After calling their customer service center, I was first told there was nothing they could do but then asked to speak with a supervisor, since it is apparent this has happened to many more people and they were able to cease collections and cancel the account. There may be people that will benefit from their publications but until they change their business practices, I will never do business with a company like this!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

I started receiving publications in the mail at my workplace in July of 2015. It was under my name (Wrong title) and the company's old name (We had gotten acquired months prior). We received a Bill for $430.00 stating that I had given "Written Verification" stating it was the 3rd notice. I had never heard of this company before.

I contacted Customer service, but got no callback. I emailed them as well as the HR (the only other contact on their page). I finally called one of their branches who got me in contact with an editor there. The lady was very nice and gave me the info for their Accounts Receivable. Once I called that lady and described what happened she immediately stated, "Did someone transfer you to me?" I said "No I was given your contact information for this." She then stated, "Well, just curious, who gave you my number. You need to talk to Customer service since you're collections." I told her I wasn't collections and that no one would call me back. She then seemed frustrated and took my account number and canceled the subscription.

After that experience I don't think we would ever do business with them intentionally.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

Former employee of company and felt like I was forcing publications on people who did not want it. In the script it does mention it is a free trial and can cancel, but most publications were over $300 and would receive an invoice. It was a quick blurb put in the script and many didn't realize they would be charged. The manager was not professional in any way and yelled at the employees when not reaching goals. Also, the technology was so outdated the computers were at least 10-15 yrs old and employees had to push record on the tape recorder when verifying customer information. The tapes would then just get tossed in a bin at the end of the day.

I was ridiculed by my managers and felt as though I was being sexually harassed. I was told to meet my manager alone in his office and if I were to tell anyone I would be fired. I did not meet him in his office and felt uncomfortable. He let me go a week later. I have done other call center jobs but nothing like this and I even called labor and compliance and they said I should just find a new job. The script was so rushed no wonder people didn't hear about the bill if they didn't cancel. And they also told us to tell them if we did not hear from them about cancelling we would give a one time courtesy call as a reminder. I never did that, nor am I aware of any other employees making such calls.

I was disrespected as a loyal employer so I am sure after reading these complaints other companies are not happy with the explanation of the FREE TRIAL OFFER.. We were rushed into saying that to make a sale. I worked for another company and it was nothing like that... Representatives were monitored by team leaders and could pull up recordings for any corrective criticism... It was all recorded on computers, not cassette tapes that were never listened too. I was horrified by losing my job... I never heard a boss swear or belittle employees in such a distasteful manner.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

I received an invoice for $299 for an annual subscription that I did not request. They had my name and birthdate, they also claimed to have an "Original Order Date & Written Confirmation" supposedly sent from me. I know I never would have requested their services so right away I was concerned. I googled the company and the comments I read on this site were more than just a little bothersome so I was fully prepared for a battle when I called the number I found.

Although I am unhappy with the attempt they made to get $299 from me, I was pleasantly pleased when I called the number and told them I never requested their subscription. The CSR was very nice and "zeroed" out my invoice. For those of you who are having issues, call 800-220-5000 and push #6. The name of the lady I talked to is Nikki. Good luck all!!

Original review: May 13, 2015

I was contacted by International Credit Collection Bureau on behalf of Progressive Business Publication. I was accused of lying about ordering some publication called Environmental Compliance. The woman who called was very rude and threatened to ruin our company credit by reporting delinquency on this account if I did not pay the account. I asked for your name and phone number but she just hung-up on me. This is a scam to get you to pay!!!

Original review: April 16, 2015

PB Compliance called my place of employment concerning free information on HR, frequently. I finally got tired of phones calls and told them to send me information and I will look it over and let them know at my convenience. Next thing I know I received a bill for $230.00 on publications that I had not received and kept unsubscribing from the e-mails they kept sending. Now they have a collection agent trying to strong-arm for payment. If PB Compliance calls hang up and do not talk to them because once you tell them to send you information they automatically "bind you" in a contract you know nothing about. And do not give any personal information on yourself, with this information they process this and you are automatically subscribed to their publications without your knowledge or consent.

Original review: March 30, 2015

I was contacted by someone from Progressive Business Publications and asked to sample a trial subscription to a business journal. I agreed to sample it. I was informed that if I wanted to cancel the trial subscription just let them know and it would be cancelled. I contacted them and told them I wanted to cancel. The business journal/newsletter stopped. Several weeks later I get phone calls from International Credit Recovery to pay a $250-$299 overdue subscription fee. THE WHOLE THING MUST BE SOME KIND OF SCAM!! They should not be allowed to do business like this - consumer affairs or some other watchdog agency needs to shut their business practice down!! Anyone who reads this - Stay away from Progressive Business Publications.

Original review: March 11, 2015

I was contacted via phone, asked if I wanted a free publication. I said, "Sure." Started getting invoices. Ignored them, because I was told this was free and figured the invoices were for additional services or something. My fault, I GUESS, for not reading invoices more carefully, but there was absolutely no indication in the phone conversation with the salesperson that this would need to be cancelled by some certain time in order to not be charged. If there was some messaging regarding that, I would have not agreed to the subscription at all. Received final invoice for approximately $250. Hassled to pay it. Said, "I thought this was free." Argued. Didn't get anywhere. Paid it. Just got another newsletter today and asked to cancel. Hopefully, that will be the end of this nonsense.

Original review: March 5, 2015

Don't talk to anyone from Progressive Business Publications or CFO & Controller Alert!!! I'm an office manager who doesn't have many freedom so I know that I don't accept anything permanent or that costs $$ over the phone EVER!!! Only my Pres & VP have the authority to do any such thing. The only time I gave my date of birth out to anyone in recently, was to someone saying they were sending a free 2015 calendar out. Free calendar works for me.

Next thing I know, there is a bill here for $299 saying that I, by name and day of birth, verbally verified a contract for 23 issues/12 months of a publication that we never ordered or would ever want!!! We only do digital publications here... and only have 3 (free). I had my president follow the instructions posted here by "** of Orem, UT on Jan. 27, 2015," today, after sending the bill & details to our lawyer. I'm also hoping, as ** that we have been removed. The woman I spoke to was quite argumentative with my Pres. They need to be put out of business!!! Good Luck!!

Original review: March 4, 2015

I use to work for PBP in Altoona. And I feel bad for the people I "sold" the subscription to. Altoona doesn't offer many job opportunities, so when I applied for this job I was under the impression that this was useful information. While employed, the Branch Manager would belittle me in front of other coworkers. Threatened my job countless times for not making "sales". Told us it was our fault that you people who receive our phone calls don't answer. We are treated like cattle. Slaves. And they hold that job over our heads knowing that it was a last resort for employment. I highly advise no one subscribes to their publications. For if you do know that the people that are employed at that company is highly degraded and belittled on a daily basis. And by subscribing, you support that.

Progressive Business Publications Company Information