4.5/5 (112 ratings)

About Insperity

Insperity specializes in full-service human resources solutions for businesses that have between five and 5,000 employees. Individual solutions are also available, and companies can get help with recruiting, insurance, retirement accounts, accounting, bookkeeping, payroll, timecards, scheduling, performance reviews, expense reporting and general HR consulting. Insperity serves thousands of businesses across the nation.

Pros

• Helps outsource HR responsibilities
  • Improves insurance coverage
  • Highly rated user interface

Cons

• Cost isn’t straightforward
  • Only offers UHC and regional choices

Bottom Line

Insperity is a professional employer organization (PEO). Business owners can sign a co-employer contract with the company to outsource HR responsibilities, including payroll, scheduling and benefits.

Insperity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Insperity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Insperity?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Their customer service was phenomenal. Everyone I've dealt with was very friendly and professional. I've dealt with other PEOs before and I haven't had the greatest experience when it was time to get someone on the phone to speak to or to respond to my emails. With Insperity, they were great at that. Oftentimes, you get a sales rep and the sales rep is super friendly, nice and happy. But, once you sign the contract, you never hear from him or her again and you're in a black hole. It wasn't like that with Insperity. The sales rep stayed with us the whole time.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

As a whole, being a small business owner, I'm relatively satisfied. I've only had a couple of times when I've tried to reach out to people. And that wasn't up to par. But in general, the most common things, with payroll, HR, that has been an overall a good experience. The smoothness and easiness as far as going into the portal, doing payroll, hiring, and firing. Obviously, sometimes there are updates to the portal and new systems come out. Insperity is usually good about reaching out and walking me through things. So, instead of me paying my previous CPA to do those things, that's relatively easy. From what I deal with, it's good. The benefits, having the 401k, having the ability to have my healthcare plans and all those things administered, all of those are easy. I'm going on my sixth year with Insperity. For my size, scale, and scope of what I do, everything has been good so far.

Insperity response

Hi Chris, We are honored to receive a 5-star review from you, as a client who has been with Insperity six years. Our team is happy to have been able to provide your company with the highest level of HR service and support. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We got in contact with Hal, a salesperson for Insperity. He came out and met with us. Everything sounded easier to do than what we had been doing, so we made the switch. Insperity has made some aspects of the business a lot easier. We don't have to worry about taxes or any of that stuff and I'm very happy with my new payroll person. He helps me with everything and he's very fast and easy to get along with, which is important so I can get things done real quick. But the other parts are more difficult to get ahold of or get answers from. I got a runaround for a little bit and then someone finally came up with an answer. Also, I have a little bit of trouble trying to pull up some yearly reports that I need for other companies that I have to report to on the website. But my payroll guy easily sets up a report for me, saves it, and tells me what report to go to.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

We've been with Insperity for 12 years. We took one year off to try another PEO and then I went back to Insperity. I'm very satisfied with Insperity except for the insurance is phenomenally high. I know that they don't have a lot of say over it. But I'm sure they're making a markup on top of what United is charging them. It went up $300 per person in one year, which is ridiculous. Then every time I asked for an explanation, no one would provide it to me. But their customer support is great. Working with them frees me up to take care of other business-related stuff, so I really appreciate that.

Insperity response

Hi Nicole, We're honored to have served you as our valued client for 12 years! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful comments. We will share your comments regarding insurance cost with our internal teams for consideration. It is our pleasure to offer our clients the highest possible level of service, and we are proud to serve you and your business. We appreciate you and are here for any of your future PEO needs!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

We have been with Insperity since July of ‘19. Every experience that I’ve had with them was good. There were a few times that they had taken a long time to get back to us. But other than that, we like the convenience. They have helped keep our health insurance costs. We don't have to worry about remembering to do the payroll taxes.

Insperity response

Hi Melinda, Thank you for taking the time to review us! We're pleased to hear you're having such a positive experience working with our team over the past 3 years. It has been our honor to partner with you! We appreciate your feedback regarding our response time and will share that with our teams internally. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Their customer service has been fine. When we have an issue, mostly, usually with payroll, they help to correct it as quickly as possible. I enjoy Insperity's service and I like using it. It's easy. It's all in one place. It works well.

Insperity response

Hello Amanda, We're pleased to hear about your positive experience with Insperity as your company's PEO. Delivering top-tier customer service, products and support to help our companies thrive is what inspires us each and every day. Also, thank you for sharing your feedback specifically regarding your experience with payroll. We strive to offer the best possible experience for our clients like you and your business. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

Insperity is very pricey. However, they are wonderful and it works pretty well for our needs. We use it for payroll, benefits like 401(k), medical and for a couple of reports that we need like certified payroll information in general and workers' comp. Insperity has made things easier. In terms of customer service, emails are pretty quick. Rarely do I have to follow-up emails to find out what happened. Over the phone, the hold time is unbelievable sometimes. A lot of our employees when they get locked out of their account for whatever reason or they're struggling with the application, they're normally on hold for a little bit over an hour when they call. That part could be improved.

Insperity response

Hi Consuelo, We love to serve clients like you! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with Insperity as your company's PEO. We're happy to hear we've helped your HR administrative tasks run more smoothly and appreciate your candidness in mentioning opportunities for improvement regarding our phone support. We will share your feedback with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Insperity is generally simple and straightforward. If there's any negative, it's probably more expensive than some of the alternatives. The rates seem to go up every year. But it's fine and the system works for us. They do a good job. We use it for PEO stuff or payroll. It seems like I use a generic email when I do stuff and unless there's a specific issue, I don't talk to a live person more than a couple of times a year. Go for Insperity.

Insperity response

Hi Mike, Thank you for taking the time to rate and review us! We're happy to hear you've had such a positive experience working with members of our team and that we can help make your life easier as a business owner. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will share it with our internal teams. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: July 30, 2022

We’ve been with Insperity for a year and we've been using it for PEO. The normal processes go very well. But I have encountered challenges when we had terminations. Also, when things are not normally processed in a week, things break down. I've been through five customer service people and three supervisors. The first rep I got was very good and she was promoted out of her position. The problem is the next three replacements were not as good and when I needed help, it took too many phone calls to get somebody who could help me. The salesperson, Maria, was fantastic. When I got frustrated with not being able to get in contact with somebody who should have been there to assist me, more times than not, I had to call Maria who shook the tree and got things going for me.

The last issue I had took about 60 days to solve because I kept telling the person who was in charge of the division what my problems were and she said, “What do you want me to do?” I told her to make it work. The person who was dealing with my week-to-week transactions wasn't trained properly and it wasn't that person's fault that they weren't trained. It was more of the manager who put this person in a line or she wasn't set up for success. My criticism is more about the middle management and the management style approach that didn’t always fix my problem. I was told that this hardly happens, which I don't believe. It took that many days and a phone call to Maria to get the person to listen to what I was saying. Maria listened to it and she explained to the supervisor what my issues were. Insperity addressed my problems in the end but had just taken too long to do so.

Insperity response

John, We appreciate hearing from our clients on ways to improve our service. Our understanding is that your service team is currently working with you on the issues you have experienced, if you would like to provide us with any additional information please feel free to email us at Social@insperity.com. We are here to help!

Original review: July 29, 2022

Be aware that when it comes to Insperity's insurance they openly state that "UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus coverage options available through the Insperity Group Health Plan are subject to Texas insurance law." This means that you are subject to the laws of Texas no matter where your job is actually located. A lot of states mandate that fertility treatments must be covered by employer insurance plans but Texas does not. This means that you could work in a state that mandates insurance covers fertility treatments but you will not receive those benefits because Insperity operates their health insurance via Texas law. It may not be wise to subject yourself or your employees to Texas insurance law when it comes to fertility treatments or abortion care in a post Roe v. Wade world. Nor when it comes to any sort of healthcare related to gender transition.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I contact my payroll person if there are any issues. We also reach out to time attendance if there are any issues that I can't resolve on my own. But I try to work through it myself. I work very closely with my HR partner like employee handbooks.

Insperity response

Hi Dana, We appreciate you sharing your positive experience working with our team. It's great to hear how our HR services and support team have helped your business work through payroll issues and on employee handbooks. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your company's PEO!

Original review: July 28, 2022

Insperity had a good offer. We met two Insperity girls and they were quite good. They gave us a rundown. The percentage fee then was about to be around 1.8%, and the scope of services and the offering, for example, the health plan, which is the UHC plan that we checked out that they offered was quite good. It was even better than what we had before.

Every time I called, our account representative was good. Every time I reached out to her, she got back to me within the hour. If she was not in the office, someone else got back to me. When I emailed her, her email was forwarded to someone, and they would call me, and the items were sorted out. Insperity gave us a good service. The rates are also not that exorbitant. It could be better, but it is acceptable for us, because of the benefits we get. Their response time is quite good for us, too.

Insperity response

Hi Jameel, We're happy to hear that working with Insperity has been beneficial for you and your company! Our team believes in our mission of helping businesses succeed so communities prosper, and we're proud of their commitment to delivering top-tier service and support. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Original review: July 26, 2022

The most functional part of Insperity is their sales team. They are fantastic at making promises. However if you are expecting that Insperity will save you time, you will be disappointed. Five payrolls in to their setup process and they still do not have PTO tracking, like they promised they would, and the payroll process is an absolute nightmare. Before signing up with Insperity, it took me almost 2 hours to get payroll completed, mostly because I had to data enter hours worked for my employees into a website. I signed up on the promise that Insperity would make the payroll process easier....

Insperity took over with their timeclock system (which took 6 weeks to set up, BTW?!?!) and the sales pitch was that once all of my employees are using their timeclock, that data would just go directly into their payroll system. However, now the process involves us having to fix all of the time punch errors, converting it to an XML file, downloading some reports, uploading them back, submitting it for approval and if there are any errors, starting all over again. Moreover, each small function of the process is handled by a different person, and they don't talk to each other, so if you ask one person to help you with something, they will help you with part of that thing and send you to a different person to help you with a different part of that thing and that 2nd person will send you back to the first person because they did their part wrong. You need a flow chart to keep track of all the different people and what you can ask each of them to do.

Also, Insperity told us that they would handle all of our HR and Benefit issues, hiring, firing, that they would come out in person to meetings, exit interviews, meetings, etc. None of that is true. On at least four occasions now, after approving a given process or document, I have asked Insperity to distribute the document to our employees, only to have the Insperity employee agree to do so and then follow up by sending it only to me, later acting surprised that I did not properly distribute the materials.

Each and every change of anything involves a form that Insperity insists needs to be filled out, and Insperity will refuse to either send the form directly to the employee or to accept the completed form from the employee. So be prepared to become an expert on an entire library of new forms, so that you can help your employees fill them out. Insperity will insist that you give them the forms, have the employee fill them out and sign them, and then scan them back it to submit them back to Insperity.

Insperity might be for you if you can afford to hire an employee to do nothing but keep track of all the busywork that Insperity will create for you. However, my recommendation would be to use the $10k non-refundable signup fee as a hiring bonus to hire an HR assistant to do the things that Insperity says they are going to do, but are really just going to tell you how to do for yourself.

Insperity response

Hello Michael, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your frustrations and disappointments. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate teams. Should you have additional input or would like to talk further, you are welcome to email social@insperity.com to speak with a team member.

Original review: July 17, 2022

The service is good. And we have a good relationship with everybody we work with. I've already recommended Insperity to other people. We're very happy with the services.

Insperity response

Hello Nicole, Thank you so much for taking time to share your positive experience working with Insperity! It's our pleasure to serve you and your team and are so happy to hear that you are happy with the support you receive. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: May 24, 2022

Their support is really good. Their customer service reaches out to check in to make sure that we have everything we need. Their service has been very helpful. It frees up other people to not have to deal with some of those tasks and it really helped improve our company on the HR side of things as far as employee handbooks, performance reviews and a number of facets in that side of the organization. We're able to lean on them and get support and improve the processes.

Insperity response

Hi Micah, It's great to hear about your successful experience working with our team! We're proud of our people like Taylor who have made the onboarding and customer service processes easy and seamless for your business. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: May 19, 2022

One of our partners had used Insperity with a previous employer. He went through everything with me. There was someone else that he brought into the process to deliver all the payroll things. We've increased some of our stuff since we went on board, just with the medical insurance and payroll. We also have our 401(k) with them now. Everyone that I have dealt with to date has always been very helpful. We don't have an HR person so Insperity really helps out if we have any questions like when we hire interns. It kinda helps us not having to worry and getting an attorney involved for some of those things. So it makes things easier on our end that we know that we have Insperity to rely on.

Insperity response

Hi Joyce, We appreciate hearing how working with us has benefited you and your business. Delivering top-tier customer service, products and support to help our client companies thrive and grow is what inspires our team each and every day. Thank you for choosing Insperity! We're proud to serve you and your employees.

Original review: May 12, 2022

We've never been with a PEO until we signed on with Insperity so, we ended up liking the idea. And they've been a pleasure to deal with. The team is awesome. They're the top of the line. They're not the cheapest in town but they're the best. You get what you pay for and they know how we want everything by now so it's super easy to deal with. I have a payroll specialist that I deal with weekly. Even though we process payroll every two weeks, there are always changes that need to be made. The owner gets a certain amount of tax out of his separate checks and she knows exactly what we need. They're as involved as you want them to be. They're available for all kinds of HR stuff that we don't even need, but we don't bother them and they don't bother us unless we have an issue that we wanna look at.

Insperity response

Hi Eddie, It's great hear you've had such a positive experience working with us. We are proud to provide outstanding service and support to our clients like you. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your company's PEO!

Original review: May 11, 2022

We use the payroll services. They're very good, attentive, and get back to us in a timely manner. There also have been no problems which have interrupted our service.

Insperity response

Hi Debbie, We appreciate your feedback regarding satisfactory payroll services. We're very happy to hear you've had no interruptions of service. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your company's PEO!

Original review: May 10, 2022

Their sales rep was knowledgeable. Navigating their website is fine, too. It's user-friendly. I use Insperity mostly for payroll. They keep tabs on compliance stuff. It's made payroll a breeze. I don't think about payroll at all anymore. I just submit it, and then I never worry that it's right or wrong. Their customer support has been great. However, they're in a different time zone than me. So, they start a little bit later. Sometimes, if I have a question early in the morning, I have to wait. But I've always gotten a response and it's always been in a timely manner. Also, they've always solved my problem.

Insperity response

Hi Gabrielle, Thank you for taking the time to review your experience working with Insperity. It's great to hear how our services and support have benefited your business and employees! We appreciate your feedback regarding our time and attendance software. We will share your comments about support hours during the morning with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Insperity is a great service. We've been with them for over five years now. I don't have to do my own payroll taxes, I don't have to worry about benefits, pricing, or our 401(k) plan. They manage everything for us. They're also good at communicating. Always watching out for us. If we're pressing up against the deadline to approve payroll, I'll get a call and an email. I would highly recommend them.

Insperity response

Hi Brook, Over 5 years as our valued client is something to celebrate! Thank you for choosing Insperity. We greatly appreciate your positive review of our products and services, notably our customer support and payroll services. To serve you and your team as you grow as a business makes us proud. Here's to more successful years together to come!

Original review: May 5, 2022

Insperity takes the burden of HR responsibilities for the most part off the business. They are the employer on record, so they have that liability to a certain extent. They make sure we're up to date with employment laws and that our payroll is processed accurately and on time, payroll taxes are paid, and healthcare benefits are offered to all of our employees. They have exceptional health care benefits that we are able to offer at a much lower cost than a small company would normally be able to provide. We've had a very long-term partnership with them. We’ve been doing business with Insperity for a great number of years. So we appreciate their help, and we're most likely going to continue with them.

Insperity response

Hi Wendi, We're pleased to hear how working with Insperity helps offset the burden of HR administrative responsibilities for your business. Our team believes in our mission of helping businesses succeed so communities prosper, and we're proud of their commitment to delivering top-tier service and support. Thank you for taking the time to review us!

Original review: May 4, 2022

We have them for payroll, the time keeping, some of the certificates, work comp, and health insurance. Their customer support has been well for me.

Insperity response

Hi Heather, We greatly appreciate you sharing your thoughtful review of your experience working with us. It is our pleasure to provide you and your business with top-tier service and help you offer affordable healthcare benefits to your employees. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your company's PEO!

Original review: April 16, 2022

It took us a little bit to get on board with Insperity. We had a few hurdles getting everything integrated and figuring out how everything worked, but that only was a couple of months. We've been with them for more than a year now and it does everything we want it to do. It consolidates all of our benefits and all of our HR into one platform with payroll. Before, I would make a payment to the medical, dental, and 401(k) and do those individually on each payroll. Now, it's all looped in. It has made my job a lot easier and also saved us from needing to hire another employee, which justified the cost because it's a lot more expensive than the part and parcel way we were doing it before. There are a couple of small things that they can't do. Like we can't process our direct reimbursables through payroll. It is kind of irritating to have to give people checks, but it's very minor things like that compared to the overall product.

Also, it's nice having real people there. Anytime I need something with payroll, the staff gets back to me super quick. Brenda, our sales rep, is still helpful if ever I'm totally confused as to whom I'm supposed to ask, even though she's in sales. She checks in every once in a while and invites us to different things. She's been awesome.

Insperity response

Hi Gideon, It's wonderful to hear about your positive experience working with Insperity! Making it easier for you to focus on growing your business by helping to manage your HR administrative responsibilities is our pleasure, and why we are passionate about what we do. We appreciate you sharing your feedback regarding reimbursables. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration. Thank you for choosing us as your company's PEO!

Original review: April 14, 2022

We're a team of five that is using the payroll through them. They've got the online stuff that's available to us on there. They're very easy to use, even as a small business. We've had no problems getting ahold of our representatives that we have to contact.

Insperity response

Hi Scott, We are proud to support your small business and are happy to hear about your satisfaction with our payroll services and customer support! We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience working with us. Thank you for choosing Insperity as your PEO!

Original review: April 3, 2022

We've been using Insperity since February of 2019 and we use their payroll service. We also use their background check service and their recruiting services to help us hire. They've been very good about customer service. We have a payroll representative. When we were doing background checks, we work with another person. But everyone has been very responsive in getting back to us. Insperity made it a little bit easier to track things like paid time off. People are able to look up their own things fairly easily. So that's good. They can also call themselves when they have a question.

Insperity response

Hi Catherine, Thank you for sharing your positive experience working with us! We're happy to hear you've felt supported by our committed representatives and that we've been able to relieve some of the burdens of payroll and background checks for your business. It's our pleasure to serve our valued clients like you!

Original review: April 2, 2022

We have an external Aflac plan and there are pre-tax and post-tax deductions for Aflac plans. When we moved over to Insperity, they said that they could not do the pre-tax deductions for us so that caused our employees to have to pay a little bit more because those are pre-tax deductions and they're not able to take the tax advantage on those. Also, some of the reporting is a little bit different in terms of being able to pull reports once employees are terminated. Trying to gather some information for terminated employees is a little bit more difficult. But in general, the platform is much easier to use. The customer service, by far, is continuing to be a selling point with me. It has made certain aspects of my job a little bit easier. I ask the staff a question and I get immediate responses. If they don't know, they get me in contact with the right person. So, the customer service has been phenomenal by far.

In terms of new employees or onboarding, it would be great that once we hire somebody, there was an application that they could complete that becomes part of the whole onboarding packet that isn't an additional cost. Because the only way to do an application now is to pay for that. It’s part of the whole onboarding recruiting piece and we're not using them for recruiting because we don't do massive hires. If we were doing a lot of applications or even recruiting or jobs on a regular basis, it might make more sense. But we're not so, it's hard for me to justify the cost of paying for the recruiting component of the portal when we don't use it that often. We still would like to have our employees complete an application but there's no way to get to the application part of the Insperity portal without having the recruiting part.

Still, the customer service has been great. The team has been able to get me those applications when I've had people go that route. The interesting part is I've had the ability to send out a link for the application but there's no way for me to access it on my end. So, the Insperity team had been great about getting me access to the applications.

Insperity response

Hi Nigelle, Hearing how the HR administrative services and support we provide benefits business owners like you is music to our ears! We're happy to serve you and your people, and we thank you for sharing your positive experience working with us. We understand and appreciate your feedback regarding deductions and reporting options. We will share your comments with our internal teams for consideration.

Original review: April 1, 2022

The sales process with Insperity was very good. Reggie, the rep, did a great job. I was impressed with his professionalism, speed, understanding what I was looking for and not overselling. The customer support with Insperity was above average. They continue to be extremely responsive so that's a plus. The only thing that I would appreciate is if I could have more options on the benefit provider, mainly medical. They have a number of different levels on medical and that's fine. However, I'd like additional options beyond UnitedHealthcare.

When we started with Insperity, we used them for role descriptions and policy manuals. Right now, we're in the process of trying to fill a vacancy. So, they're helping me with salary surveys and recruiting strategies. The services they provide has filled the gap. Before, we had a critical mass of people or we would have a dedicated HR professional. So, I get the benefit of all their expertise without having a full time HR manager, which is probably not a good thing, but we'll get there.

Insperity response

Hi Andre, Thank you for taking the time to review us! It makes us proud to hear about your positive experience with our sales team from the beginning. It is truly our pleasure to provide top-tier payroll and HR administrative support to you and your business. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Original review: March 31, 2022

You are told a fairytale story, shown amazing slides and presentation and when you actually sign on the dotted line, it all goes downhill from there. Nothing that was told to you, showed to you even works out or true. They don't care about your frustrations or even help you to resolve the issues. How they got rated the top 5 is beyond me. We are paying them but yet, I am pulling all the work - so where and when does the PEO comes in? They are supposed to be your external HR representative and again, I'm doing all the heavy lifting?? Honest review is you are better going with Trinet or Paychex for these services. I would never recommend Insperity and anyone who is giving them the high marks, then you must be the lucky ones getting what you need for your business from them.

Insperity response

Hello K, We're disappointed to hear your time with us has been frustrating. Our service team is standing by to help with what you need to make this a positive experience. Please e-mail us at social@insperity.com with your contact information so we can call you directly.

Original review: March 31, 2022

We've been with Insperity for a long time and it has been a very good experience. The payroll is very easy to deal with and it has all been very good. Anytime I've had a question I reached out, it's been answered and responded to in a very timely manner. I own a painting company so I can't offer a lot of benefits to painters and try to stay competitive. But for myself, my wife and my estimator, health insurance is the main thing that has kept us on here lately. Some of my employees use the 401(k).

Insperity response

Hi David, We're pleased to hear that working with Insperity was been easy and effective for you and your business! We appreciate you taking the time to rate your experience as our client and share your feedback. Thank you for choosing us as your company's PEO!

Original review: March 1, 2022

The reps at Insperity do a very good job. I love the service. It's very easy to use and I would highly recommend it.

Insperity response

Hi George, Thank you for taking the time to rate and review us. We're happy to hear you've had such a positive experience with our service and support. We greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you for choosing Insperity!

Insperity Company Information