Find an Auto Service and Repair partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Valvoline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valvoline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valvoline?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

They changed the oil. While doing so they had to remove the splash guard to get to the oil filter. While reconnecting it they stripped six of the ten fasteners and within a week the back part of the splash guard was hanging to the ground after the stripped fasteners fell out. It cost one hour shop labor for a mechanic to extract the broken fasteners and replace them. They also used the wrong grade of oil for my car, too high of a viscosity. Didn't cause any damage but made the engine run a few degrees hotter than it would have had they used the correct grade, and I had to have it changed again in less than 200 miles. Total waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I am overly satisfied with the quality and very attentive staff. They check the car, inform IN DETAIL what's needed...NO PRESSURE...Then finish up and you are on your way. No surprises and the guys at the Mansfield Rd location are whew.

Get buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

I came in to the Fairfield location for an oil change, and wow, what an absolute nightmare of an experience I had. The manager Benjamin was incredibly rude and condescending the entire time I was talking to him. The staff there is untrained and completely incompetent. Before working on my car, the “certified technician“ said out loud, ”I‘ve never worked on a Subaru before,” before completely botching a simple oil change and emptying my oil. I drove out of there having no idea that they didn’t even add new oil. My car then began to stall and sputter. I had to get an emergency diagnostic at Dan Perkins, as I was too far away to go back to Valvoline. I legitimately thought my car was going to break down. Welp, it turns out that when valvoline changed my oil, they hadn’t refilled it at all.

I collected evidence that valvoline was responsible for my car problems. I brought them the evidence, requested a refund, and was greeted by their manager Benjamin not only denying my refund, but being incredibly rude and disrespectful the entire time to both me and my husband, even laughing hysterically at us after finding out that we were married. I was not only completely robbed, losing over 260 dollars over a simple oil change, but I was humiliated and seriously dehumanized on top of everything. I reported Benjamin to customer service and they didn’t care. They just told me that he wasn't usually like this, and that no disciplinary action was going to happen. I’ve never had such a horrible experience at any establishment in my entire life. Not only did this group of thugs rob me, but they also humiliated and laughed at me afterwards. One star doesn’t even begin to describe this company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

This is the site in Willamette/West Linn OR. They left the oil cap off and oil was all over my engine, there was barely any oil left by the time I got to a dealership. Rude employees! I don’t recommend!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Valvoline overcharged me and won’t even reach out. I went to Valvoline for full synthetic oil change. I paid $49.50 for a Groupon that was labeled full synthetic oil change. I gave them my coupon and they had the nerve to tell me that $49.50 only covers the oil. Their oil cost 9.99 anyway, does that make any sense at all. I ended up paying over $130 because they already started on my car. I would have went to Midas or take 5 before I ever go back here. They ripped me off and charged me double. What was the point of the coupon.

I spoke with Valvoline afterwards who confirmed through chat they most likely charged me wrong and a manager would contact me in 48hrs. I screenshot everything, have I heard back - no. I would never come to the Tara blvd location again and will continue to complain because my issue was never resolved after basically being told I was overcharged. What is the purpose of Groupon or offering deals you will not honor? What a joke of a company. Would never go here again and only went for a deal. I don’t even use Valvoline oil in my car!!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

I love how quick the service is. Even waiting in line isn’t painful. And they do all the extra things I hate doing or would neglect: air in tires, wiper fluid, change wipers if needed (they sell wipers), check all lights, check filters, etc, all while sitting in my own car! 4 out of 5 because it I find it very expensive for a simple oil change. I keep going because that’s how much I hate doing these things. If you don’t mind the cost, it’s fast and easy. Highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

My wife took her vehicle in to get an oil change at the Whitman Ln location (8/2/21) and the service tech there botched the oil change. My wife's car lost 6 quarts of oil within a couple days and the engine was making a ticking sound and the check engine light was ON. When she told me about it I went out there to check and found the gasket on the oil filter was broken causing the oil to leak like a massive hemorrhage. Luckily, I had a gasket and oil available to fix it.

A few days later (8/5/21) my wife took the vehicle back to the Whitman location and told them what had happened. They redid her oil change and the check engine light turned OFF. All my wife wanted was a refund but the service manager was an idiot and didn't know how to do it. He said she would have to return the following day at 7am to wait for the Area Manager. When my wife got back home she called customer service at Valvoline to start a claim of damages. Customer service said they would not start a claim until the area manager talked to us. Hours later the check engine light came back ON.

Chad (service manager at Marvin Rd location) called (8/5/21) later that day and asked if he could come look at the car with Rob (area manager). Chad did most of the talking. He was very nice and understanding of our situation. My wife expressed concerns of future damages and wanted the issue with the check engine light to be fixed. They said they'd pay or repair any damages associated with the oil change. Chad told my wife to stop by his shop so that he could fix the check engine light sensor which we found out later was a Camshaft error.

The next day (8/6/21) the check engine light came back ON so we took it to O'Reilly and sure enough it was the same error as before Camshaft error. My wife called Chad and he said to bring the vehicle back in. We were away at the time so my wife brought the car back in on (8/12/21). Chad was able to fix the check engine light.

(8/17/21) The check engine light comes back ON. At this point my wife was upset and again she had to call Chad. My wife took it to O'Reilly again and got the same Camshaft error. This time she asked Chad if we could take it to a mechanic. He agreed and said "I got you. Don't worry we will take care of you. Just give me a call when it's time to pay." So my wife took the car to Hawks Prairie Auto on (8/23/21) and left it overnight. The next day (8/24/21) they called us back and said the check engine light is from the Camshaft but they don't have the right tools to fix it. So she ended up taking it to Toyota of Olympia.

Also on (8/24/21) I called valvoline customer care to report the issue. They said they were tracking the situation and a manager would call me back in 24hrs. No one ever called me back. On (8/25/21) my wife took the vehicle to Toyota of Olympia where they did an in depth examination of the engine and on (8/27/21) she finally got her car back. Luckily, Toyota found no damage to the engine and they were able to fix the check engine light. It ended up costing her $1,027.99 for the inspection and when it came time to pay she called Chad. Chad refused to pay the bill because there were no repairs and no proof that the check engine light came on from the oil change so she was stuck with the bill. On (8/30/21) my wife called Rob (the area manager) to ask for a resolution. He was very rude and aggressive on the phone with her. My wife asked multiple times if he could give her the name and number of the owner but he kept on telling her no.

I’ve never written a review in my life but this really pissed me off. I hope the owner reads this and tries to reach out. I would love to talk to him about this shit show and I would love to talk to him about Rob and how he disrespected my wife on the phone. I would love to talk about how we were without a car for 4 days. I would love to talk about how we went to Valvoline 4 times, 1 time to Hawks Prairie Auto, and 1 time to Toyota of Olympia. I would love to talk about after all this we can’t even get refunded for the Oil Change. I would like him to know that the policy to NOT give out names and numbers of managers and the owner is a stupid policy. Lastly, I want him to know that this will be posted online for all to see and this will be printed off and mailed to his locations and to Valvoline Headquarters.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Let me first be honest and say that I have been going to Valvoline for years and no issues. A little pricey but worth it because it is in and out, at least with my experiences for years. My wife, kids and I have been going for years and—with no issues. However, on a Friday, June 11, 2021, I went to the West Hartford, CT Valvoline and did the third oil change on my 2003 Dodge Dakota since I owned it late last year 2020. I left to Rohde Island on a trip with my wife and kids for her birthday. I came back Sunday and went to work that whole week. On Tuesday, June 22, as I jumped on the highway, my car began leaking oil and I pulled over to the side. I called Geico and car was tow home.

After work, I inspected the truck and notice the filter gasket was coming out from the side of the filter. I called Valvoline and they immediately send a worker the next day, Wednesday, June 23, 2021. The guy took pictures and noticed the gasket sticking out. He then removed the filter, placed a new one, added more oil and told me to turn it on. So I did and the engine had a knocking noise. Later on this day, I was given a call to bring car in so I did the next day Thursday, June 24, 2021. They changed the oil and put some special oil to see if the knocking goes away and it did not. Then the manager, Andrew, told me that they are going to send the filter to the manufacture for testing and also some oil was going to be send out to get tested as well in case the engine had a compulsion (so I was told).

I was also told to drive the truck for one thousand mile, per district manager Don, and bring it back. I drove the truck for one thousand miles and brought it back as I was told. They check the oil again and was told to hang tight while the results come back and so I did. About a week or two later, I get a call to bring truck to a shop of their own so I did, CT Auto & Towing LLC, West Hartford. The mechanic determined that my oil pressure was so high at “2000+RPM that the gauge is capping out at over 110 PSI” and determined that this is the cause for the filter gasket to come out and leak.

I got a call from the District manager, Don, with HR or some customer office on the other line hearing the conversation, stating to me that this information and that the filter results came back good and that Valvoline video shows the technician doing his job right and, as a result, Valvoline will not be responsible for my engine, because it was an engine failure. I was in disbelieve. I asked if I can get the oil pressure check at a different shop and the guy said yes. So I took it to Gengras which they determined that the oil pressure was normal and unlikely to cause the filter. I spoke to several know mechanic shops and they agreed that either it was double gasket and yet it can be driven for miles with no leak or minor leak not noticeable or it was not tighten hard enough but were unwilling to put it on paper because they do not have the time to be brought to court and, therefore, do not want to deal with that.

So I email the district manager, Don, the results from Gengras and after a day or so, I get an email back stating that Valvoline stand by their decision to not be responsible. What do you think? If you have experience this, please let me know. If you own a shop please give feedback. I want to take this to court but with no shop willing to give their statement, it makes it hard to have a case. All I have is the oil pressure from Gengras showing the pressure is within normal range, contradicting CT Auto & Towing LLC. Thank you.

Original review: July 24, 2021

This is the 3rd time I've been to Union Cemetery Road Valvoline and had my oil changed in the same car. The 3rd time I went there I had all 3 receipts and said I'd like it for same price I've always gotten it for. The manager at that store was so rude and had such an attitude with me when he asked me why I received this price and if I didn't have a coupon on me they will not give me this price. It was close to closing time and he was obviously was not wanting to wait on me. I could of easily pulled it up on my phone but I do not want someone like that working on my car. Lord knows the kind of quality I'd be getting! I will never go to the Valvoline on Union Cemetery Road ever again! What horrible customer service from their manager of all people!

Original review: May 22, 2021

Stay away from this place. I called 5 times and nobody answered the phone. What are they doing, sitting on their **? It's a waste of time. I have never had to call a place like this 5 times. The person who is supposed to answer the phone should not be working there. This is the location in Norman, Oklahoma. There are better places to get your oil changed at!! This place doesn't deserve one star.

Valvoline Company Information