Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.59/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

347 Valvoline Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 31, 2019

Simple to work with, I went in, tell them what I want, and they get to work. Ask me the usual stuff, run a few tests, then bring to my attention that my transmission fluid is in bad shape (I can't remember the exact words). Even let me see for myself, which they didn't need to do as I was probably overdue for it. So we talk, they offer to flush and replace and even give me a pretty hefty discount.

All the while, we talked about stuff as they worked, got it done right and there were no mistakes. As a bonus, they don't use a dirty filter to trick you into buying a new one, nor do they lie about what's wrong. In fact, if something is wrong and they can't deal with it, they will recommend a nearby shop. Maybe it's just this location, but I can't remember getting service like this back where I used to live.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I come to Valvoline whenever I need an oil change because it is quick and convenient. The service is always excellent and they seem very reputable. They always recommend additional services, but it is all based on your vehicles owner manual (they have an electronic database full of manufacturer recommendations). They never recommend stuff that doesn't need to be done, and they are not pushy at all if you decline service. My one and only complaint is that they seem a little bit pricier, but you do pay for convenience. Overall I've been very satisfied with Valvoline. This review is based on their location in Orange County CA, perhaps in other areas the quality may vary.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Service and Repair delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was recently at the Ridge Road, Lackawanna location for an oil change, tire rotation and inspection. I knew my wipers would not pass and I had purchased a set the night before but didn't know how to install them. They installed them for me and showed me how to do it! They also didn't snooker me into purchasing a new air filter! I always have had a good experience at this location.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Valvoline put the wrong Filter on my car and it seized the engine causing a $28,000 repair. Then they cleared my car's computer to hide the errors that were on my car and insisted is wasn't anything they did. Litigation soon to come. Do not trust this place.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Went in and got my oil changed which I normally do myself but was heading out of town and didn't have the time. 4 months later I get a "change oil" light flashing on my instrument panel WHICH I DID NOT KNOWINGLY APPROVE! I WOULD NEVER LET THEM DO THAT. I WANT TO SUE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valvoline?

Original review: July 26, 2019

I took my GMC to Valvoline Instant Oil Change on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul MN., where I have gone in the past. I was told that that they needed to put synthetic in as the Dealership for GMC and Buick and Cadillac required this now. I asked why and was told that probably there was a problem and so they recommend the synthetic now. I told them to just use the blend as it has always worked fine in the past. The guy told me ok but there would not be a warranty. I told him to go ahead. Then he came back and told me that now they didn’t even have the blend and had to put the synthetic in. It was $20 more.

After some discussion they gave me $15 off. When I left I called GMC dealership and was told that was not the case - it may be a Valvoline Policy. But, the dealership said once you have synthetic in your car they do not recommend going back to a blend. I called the customer service at Valvoline and got nowhere other than $44 credit off this service. Then they had the manager of the shop where the oil change was performed call me the next day - after going back and forth all he could say was he was sorry that they no longer make the blend. I told them I should get the cost of the blend for all my future visits since they are the ones who made the mistake. They would not comply and only kept saying they were sorry. I felt I was totally scammed by them.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I took my 1997 Ford F-150 into the nearest Valvoline for an oil change. When the guy came out he was all friendly and polite and told me that for the mileage on my vehicle that certain services are recommended. So I heard him out and agreed to let him perform a transmission flush. That was the beginning of my problems. After the services were performed on my vehicle and I got it back to the house it won't move at all. I did some research and found that it is terrible to do a transmission flush and causes this problem on virtually any vehicle. I am fighting to have Valvoline pay for my new transmission problems and cover all costs associated with the transmission being flushed. I hope nobody else has to suffer this fate with their vehicle. Don't go to Valvoline for anything more than an oil change. They specialize in one thing and that is all they are good for.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was yesterday, May 11.2019 at Valvoline 9014 National blvd for oil change and the employees seems good but when they start to selling some service like replacing battery, I felt they trying to rip me off because my battery is still good for 2 YEARS!! They gave me small paper showing the battery is almost gonna be dead!!! I took my car the same day to double check in Auto Part store and to the Toyota dealership and both check and confirm for free that my battery is still good for 2 YEARS at least!!!! Also this Valvoline place trying to rip me off for replacing ONE rear brake bulb for 57 DOLLARS!!!! 2 bulbs in any auto part store cost around 7 dollars or less!!!! I was highly disappointed and wonder how many customers they deceived for same practice and more. This is unprofessional behave and dishonest attitude that will catch up with them and they will lose big time everything! I advise anyone never go to this place again.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I brought my 2008 Range Rover full sized HSE Supercharged into a Valvoline for a simple oil change, now it's sitting at the Range Rover dealership. I had it towed to pending an inspection. Immediately after getting my oil changed I noticed it shifted a little funny, but I didn't put two and two together because I've only been driving this car for a week (and I hadn't driven much in that week), I thought maybe this was a pre-existing problem, because again I just got the car and how hard is it to do a proper oil change when that is the main thing your business does!? So giving them the benefit of the doubt I didn't think immediately this must be from my oil change, I should've.

This was on a Tuesday after work so I drove the 1.7 miles home and parked it for the night. Wednesday I drove the 1.3 miles to work and the 1.3 miles back home so it wasn't until Thursday when I did a ton of driving that I really noticed the shifting was really off and it started to have a loss of power so I'm getting nervous about this car I just got. I call a friend that used to work at as a German mechanic to come look at it. He agrees to come to my work and check it out the next day Friday. So I get home park it for the night and forget about it.

The next day my friend come out to look at it and asks why there is oil ALL OVER the bottom of the car (which I can say for a fact was not there prior to the oil change because just a week and a half ago I thoroughly checked this car out even crawled underneath of it before agreeing to take it). I tell him I just got an oil chang. We pull the dipstick to check the level. Now I'm expecting to see the oil low because it's leaking out of the car. No. Even after soaking the underneath of my car in oil, burning off I don't know how much with the 48 miles in driving since my oil change, and leaking who knows how much from Tuesday to Friday, the oil level is still overfilled!

At that moment is when I put two and two together and realize all of my issues started right after my oil change. I immediately tell my friend to close the hood and not lay another finger on it. I call Valvoline to let them know they obviously overfilled the crap out of my car and the engine has been acting up as a result. They have the manager come out to me, because I absolutely refuse to drive this thing now that I know the motor is completely overfilled with oil. He comes out, checks the dipstick and tells me it's not "that overfilled" while also stating "the oil level is good". Then he tells me he's going to have it towed down to another chain mechanic (so in my head I'm thinking, "Why are you going to tow it if, as he says, the oil level is good, humm, that's odd.") so I tell him no, I don't want him taking my car anywhere. They're the ones that broke it and he's already begun the process of denying that it's overfilled.

"Well we can take it back to his Valvoline store," he suggested "so he can get underneath and look at it". You don't need to be under it to see there is way too much oil in it. I have 3 men (1 a mechanic) and myself looking at my dipstick, every single one of us can see clear as day there is too much oil on it. But the manager from the Valvoline store that overfilled it is either blind or lying as he says he doesn't see the same thing that 4 other people are seeing. I again tell him, "No," there is no way I'm letting him take my car anywhere (he may be, but I'm not dumb - no way am I letting him take my car so he can let oil out of it and pretend it was never overfilled by them).

I tell him I want it towed to a certified Land Rover mechanic, so a knowledgeable third party with no interest in the outcome of the inspection can tell me if my car has too much oil in it (which it obviously does) and if the issues that are happening are due to it being overfilled (paid for by them), at that point he tells me to just let them know where I decide to take it and just leaves - no discussion of how this tow/inspection is being paid for. - I call Range Rover, but don't get ahold of them and at this point they'll be closed by the time I get the car there so I left it sitting at work and got a ride home from a friend.

Saturday morning I call Valvoline to figure out the payment situation. They'll reimburse me later for it IF it can be proven every single problem with my car is due to the oil change aka he's still looking for ways out of making the situation right and continuing to deny what is obvious. Fine, whatever, I paid for a $100 tow. I'm paying $200 at least for an inspection and after reading the horror stories from other Valvoline customers I'm seeing that it's next to impossible to get this company to admit to or pay for any of their wrongdoings. So I'm looking to start a class action lawsuit against them as I see this is an extremely common issue. Total loss vehicles all at the hands of one company that refuses to make it right for anyone. It's wrong, they need to be accountable.

Right now I have $120 for an oil change, $100 for a tow, & $200 for an inspection that they owe me so $420, plus in the near future I'm seeing another $100 for a tow back, $7000 for my motor - which does not include labor costs. So we'll just call it $10k which is being generous and of course yet another $100 tow back when a motor can be put in, so Valvoline owes me $10,620.00 in the foreseeable future. This company is despicable.

Original review: May 4, 2019

My car manual indicates 5W20 oil. Without my authorization 0W20 was used. After a week of leaking in my driveway I went to a mechanic. I was told another oil was used. I went to my receipt and saw that was true! Got 5W20 and someone to knows how to tighten a bolt. No leaks! The right oil! That was my first and last time visiting Valvoline in Swampscott, MA!

Valvoline Company Information