3.9/5 (427 ratings)

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Valvoline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valvoline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valvoline?

Original review: April 5, 2020

The Valvoline service repair store provided an outstanding service when changing the oil for my car. The pricing could be better. I am basing the fact that the pricing could be lowered by when you look up a side cabin filter it was 50% in price. (lower for filters)

Original review: April 2, 2020

Valvoline in Rindge, NH for basic repairs and oil changes is my "go to spot." The staff is personable and polite. They are not aggressive in regards to up selling; which is uncommon in this industry. Overall they meet my expectations in a timely manner! Awesome group of employees.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I was serviced by very courteous and professional gentlemen Jackson and I do not remember the other guy's name but I was taken care of immediately and with care, Please share my comments with them if possible. Thank You.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I like this place because you can just go anytime. The staff are friendly and always efficient. It can be a little more than the advertised price but that will depend on the vehicle. The wait is not usually bad and the service is quick.

Original review: March 28, 2020

They were very nice when I got my car serviced. I thought they didn’t fill my wiper fluid. I went back to them a week later and something had come apart. They fixed it for no charge and again were very nice.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Great customer service, very fast and efficient, I was given an online discount.. I have a diesel truck whick requires a synthetic oil and several additional quarts of oil to complete the process. The techs knew what they were doing and completed the service quickly.

Original review: March 25, 2020

I been going to the oil place and now you telling me after my light came on I have a bad oil leak. I ask you how long this been going on. You tell me a while now but yet in still you took my money and changed my oil. It took me 1,845.00 to get my truck fixed. Thanks a lot for doing me like this. I’m a woman. I don’t know nothing about oil. I was sick behind this. I had to go borrow money to get something fix and you all didn’t care. Just took my money. No one should ever go through what I did.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Since Valvoline took over from Oil Can Henry's the service has been terrible. They do not offer the extra services that Oil Can Henry's offered. They said those extras were not needed. I like to know what the fluids look like in my differentials and rear end.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I had an oil change done. Due to the current crisis they were very good at keeping direct contact with me. They processed my car effectively and quickly. I bring 4 cars there for service and my experience has always been excellent.

Original review: March 20, 2020

This business stripped my oil pan, causing me to require a full replacement, which cost more than $900 at the dealership. They stated because I was outside of the 6 month and 3000 mile warranty they could not do anything to assist. I escalated as high as they would allow and got the same response. They suggested attempting to repair it, which the dealer recommended against. It is not worth the small savings and few minutes of your time, take your business elsewhere.

Original review: March 18, 2020

Left a tool under the hood that jammed the steering wheel. Almost wrecked. Could have killed me or others. Then denies that the tool affected steering. Management was rude and doesn't care about customers.

Original review: March 14, 2020

I made the mistake of going here twice for an oil change. The first time they pushed products I didn't need, and the technician left his cell phone in my car. The second time I didn't stay, and they rotated my new tires. These were two different locations. I'll never go back.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Yesterday morning I took my car to get my oil changed. It was 01/31/2020 about 8 am and the man that was helping me was ok till I gave him my paper coupon 10 dollars off that I had gotten from my last oil change there. He proceeded to tell me that coupon was for new customers only and kept asking me where I got the coupon and said I could not use 'cause I'm not a new customer. Then I noticed them testing the battery and he hands me slip saying, "Oh your battery is low." And tried to sell me a new one for 159.00. I declined that. I brought my car home. I have a neighbor that works on diesel trucks check my battery and said it was fine.

My brother just bought that battery. I was having no issues with the battery. I knew he was trying to rip me off upselling crap I did not need or want all the while arguing about the coupon. I have been coming here since they opened and have never had any issues here. Now I'm angry. Is this going to happen all the time. The guy was a big Mexican dude with his head shaved and hair pulled back.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

My husband took my car in for a conventional oil change on 01/08/2020. Since my oil was change, I’ve had nothing but mechanical issues with my vehicle. My car is stuttering while idle. It stalls while driving. It has trouble accelerating. My husband took the car back up to Valvoline on 01/20/20. They pretty much just checked the fluid levels, and sold him an air filter. He took the car on the expressway and it stalled. They told him to take it to a full service mechanic. If the mechanic finds an error on their end, they will pay for the repairs.

Why on earth should we be inconvenienced due to their poor service? It’s no coincidence that my car was running fine, up until the oil change was performed. Now, I have to take the car and leave it to get an estimate on possible damage caused by the oil change. This is unacceptable. This is the Valvoline Instant Oil Change at 8972 Hwy 64, Lakeland, TN 38002. I have filed a claim with their corporate office, and I’ve also reported them to the BBB. I’ve read other reviews for this location, and others have reported similar experiences.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I took my classic car to this Valvoline center in November of 2019 for a battery change. Steve, the manager, changed my battery with my car engine on and running, causing $1470.00 worth of electrical damage to my electrical components. It's common knowledge in the auto industry, that you never change a battery with your car engine running, that you risk frying your entire electrical system if you do. Steve & Valvoline have refused to pay for the damage they caused to my car, refusing to accept their responsibility for their obvious liability in this matter. They will lose big time in court, and will suffer the bad publicity their foolishness costs them. Use this shop at your own RISK, & PERIL!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

My BMW was out of warranty so I took it to Valvoline to get oil replaced. Car was leaking oil afterwards. Took it back twice and just got worse. I even bought a new plug and had them replace the one they installed. After two visits and still leaking, I took my car to BMW repair shop who told me the pan was damaged and needed replaced. After replacement it still leaked. It only stopped leaking after correct oil was put in car. That oil change cost me $1400. The wrong oil was put into car which caused the issue. Valvoline stands by that they put the recommended oil in car. DON’T TAKE PERFORMANCE CARS TO VALVOLINE.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Simple oil change turned into a nightmare. They spilled a ton of oil all over on engine and who knows where else and didn't tell me. Drove away and smoke coming from driver's side under hood. Then engine light came on. They checked the code, cleared it and said it was fine to drive, that it was just a gas cap code. Engine light came back on. I googled "spilled oil on engine" only to find that this is dangerous! Car can start on fire. You would think a $90 oil change would be safer and more professional than this. I am beyond pissed.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I brought my 2011 GMC into them where they proceeded to do an oil change. They broke my oil pressure line to the radiator. Oil started pouring out all over and they told me this happens once in a while due to oil pressure change. I found out they were liars. They would not be good for it. I ended up bringing my truck to the dealer who charged me $430 to fix it. They verified amongst others that this is not true that it does not ever happen during an oil change. Beware of Valvoline and Ulster Avenue in Kingston New York.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

On 11/16/19 I had an oil change done at the Valvoline on Cooper Foster Rd, Amherst, OH. Guy said he would email my receipt. I paid cash for the service. My car started acting up it had little power when accelerated on 12/21, it completely broke down and black smoke was bellowing out and I had it towed to the dealer. There was 3 quarts of oil too much. It completely ruined my catalytic converter. I never received my receipt or sticker. I believe they made a mistake and covered it up by not putting me in their system. Now I have no proof and responsible for $2300 service bill.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

The Valvoline and Jiffy lube battery scam is nationwide. Google it if you like! Manager showed me a print out for the battery test, says it is very low. (FAKED IT) I said it is only 1.5 years old. He said the month/year thing was not punched when installed so he does not know how old. LIAR! Yes it was punched but oddly covered with some dirty grease. (That he put there?) He pretended to call Interstate to verify the age of the battery. Faked that too. Says "I am on the phone with interstate. Your battery is 6 years old." I said that is not possible. He said someone installed an old battery. I went to the mechanic who installed it, he tested it, in great shape. He wiped the smudge off the month/year punch.

Now, I wanted to verify the age with Interstate. I could not find the etched numbers needed. I went back to Valvoline and Harold, the manager came out to help me find the numbers, all the while laughing about how I got scammed with a 6 year old battery. He reads the etched numbers to me. I said what does the second row of numbers say. "Oh that is just the battery model. You don't need that". Haha. The top numbers were wrong. He knew that. The second line was correct. Guess what Interstate said... My battery is 1.5 years old.

When the oil change was finished up I was told that all fluids were TOPPED OFF! Today, I got concerned and checked. I specifically asked if they topped the trans fluid, they said yes. The trans fluid did not show up on the dipstick at all! I put a full quart in. I also checked the windshield fluid, I had to put half a gallon in. The Coolant, which he also confirmed that they topped it off, I put in half a gallon. They did not top off anything! And I was driving with a dangerously low trans fluid. (And yes, I checked it with the engine on, in neutral, engine hot.) This is terrible. They target women thinking we are idiots. Longmont, Colorado Valvoline on Hover road.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I went to the Valvoline on Plainfield, good customer service in that they were nice. But upon checking things after they told me a list of other things that was wrong, my oil was leaking out the bottom. They clearly didn't tighten the filter on right. I lost a lot of oil. And explains why my oil light came back on after they "reset" it. Considering it was a 48$ oil change... I am not impressed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Took my car for an oil change. Immediately leaving the facility my check engine light and my low oil pressure light came on. These lights were never on before. I took my car back to the facility 2 times that day for them to only say, “we did everything correctly, drive on it a couple days and the lights should go off.” I immediately took my car to the dealership and they found metal shavings in my oil filter. They said the only thing that can be done now is to completely replace my engine for $5900! I filed a claim with Valvoline only to have it denied because I could give them 5 years worth of invoices for all of my oil changes.

I called customer care again to ask how to dispute their decision and was told I had to get in touch with the regional manager who had since stopped replying to my emails and texts. I asked how to get a copy of the video and they said they can only release the video with a subpoena. I am in the process of contacting a lawyer to fight this. I’ve missed time at work, paid well over $200 just to find the problem and now cannot drive my car anywhere. Don’t go to Valvoline. They will damage your engine and then blame it on your “poor maintenance.” Which was never the case.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Thanks for standing behind your employee’s actions Valvoline….. NOT! Let me preface this in saying I know NOTHING about cars. I have to ask my next door neighbor where one puts oil on the RARE occasions I do it myself. So at the end of January, I had my oil changed. I ALWAYS go to Valvoline Instant Oil Change in Cottage Grove, MN.

A week or so ago, my change oil light went on. In the interest of waiting to change it until my next check, I opted to try to check the oil and add some if I needed to. So Thursday, I bought oil and opened my hood and stared For a LONG time. I couldn’t find the place to put oil and even more disturbing, I couldn’t find the dip stick!!! Eventually, I found the place that says where to put oil but no dipstick to check the levels. As usual, I asked my neighbor if he could find it. HE couldn’t find it!

Eventually, he saw my dipstick WAY down in the engine, set sideways so it wouldn’t fall out. When he got it out, he realized the dipstick was still in its tube! Now my Expedition, hasn’t needed service since the oil was last changed, in fact, the hood hasn’t been opened since then either. He asked where I’d gotten it changed and I told him. He was so upset, he took me and my truck to Valvoline immediately. The manager had gone for the day but the assistant manager was there and assured us that he would let the manager know and that he would call me back and help figure out what to do.

Of course, by the end of my work day on Friday, NO call from the Valvoline manager. I decided to take it to a Ford dealership so that I could find out what exactly the problem was as I NEED a car for work! I had to borrow my mom’s. The service manager told me that not only had the dip stick had been broken off, and placed back in my engine WITHOUT telling me, the tapered end was still in the wherever the dipstick goes. He gave me a best case scenario and a worst case scenario. Best case? $740. Worst case? Add $400 to that $740.

This morning I took the diagram the Ford service manager had printed for me and took it to Valvoline. Shockingly the manager was there. However, he pretty much said it was my problem not his because their video surveillance doesn’t go back that far. He also tried to tell me they would NEVER do something like that and not tell the customer and that the dipstick had probably rusted off and fell and that I was trying to get them to pay for the damage. The dipstick was set in a manner that would NEVER be from it falling out. As can be seen in the photos, the dipstick is also not rusted. But it is difficult to remove the stick from the tube.

Basically the manager implied that this was my problem and there was no way he could go to his regional manager regarding this and that they would do nothing for me. I asked, "So you are sticking me with a potential $1200 bill for something YOUR employees did and didn’t tell me???" I mentioned I may have to write a bad review and that it's sad that they would take advantage of someone who knows ZERO about cars like that. He backed off a bit and said he’d try to talk to his manager. After thinking about how condescending he was and how he totally blew me off I decided to post. If you ever plan to take your car to this place, make sure you photograph your vehicle before and after they work on it because they won’t own up to anything!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I went to Valvoline and it is my understanding that Valvoline states that they check all fluids and top off as needed and change oil. 4 days after having truck serviced my transfer case started making a grinding noise. I took to local transmission mechanic and transfer case was empty. I am now spending 3600.00 to get a new transfer case.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I went to get an oil change from them yesterday. I left the place and my car started shaking and making noise. It cut off on me and I had to get my car towed home. The next day I had my mechanic look at my car and he opened the oil gasket and it was smoking bad. He said my engine was shot. I don’t know what they did but my car is finished after going to them. SMH

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I took my car to the Valvoline 1524 2nd St. San Rafael location on Friday September 6. When I arrived my car was working perfectly fine and just needed an oil change. They stated that since my car was a diesel they didn't have the oil they needed on site so had to run down the street to get the correct oil. They refilled, everything seemed fine. I turned my car on and went to drive out of the station, there was a ticking/knocking sound that sounded like a card in a wheel spoke. I went around the block and drove back in, they worked under the car, and "checked" everything that they had stated they removed and made sure that everything was "secure."

I drive out of the station again, the noise worse, I go around the block again, and come back into the station where I ask the manager to get in the car with me so he can hear what I am talking about. He hears it as we drive around the block. When we enter back into the driveway it seems like something was released from what was making the noise, and I said "seems like it stopped, if it comes back, I'll come back." I left, and while making a hard right turn to get on the freeway 1/4-1/2 a mile down the road, my entire car starts shaking. I stop at a mechanic shop off the freeway that I'm familiar with asking if they can just check the wheel wells to see if something is stuck. They visually check, nothing there. We drive and as we're driving and you go to brake, the car shakes and shutters and when/if you can get it to come to an complete stop the car feels like it's going to explode. It shakes so intensely.

I then take to the car dealership mechanic to figure out whats going on. Both the service adviser and head mechanic say they have never heard/seen or felt anything like this before. Several hours later, I get a call that it looks like my differential oil has been drained and replaced with a clear water-like substance and is seizing the entire car-- costing roughly $6,500.00 in repairs.

I contacted Valvoline immediately, I elevated this also to their legal department where they said it's not their fault and I can watch the security footage of them changing the oil. The issue with this is the only place the record is from above, they have not footage being kept under in the "pit" where you can see who's removing/replacing your skid plates and addressing whatever they need to from below. My car was absolutely fine before entering this place, and I left with a car that is depreciated in value as well as having to front the cost of $6500, with as little as a "sorry" from Valvoline, their staff and their legal team. If you value your car DO NOT take it to a Valvoline. You're better off spending a little extra and having people who hold themselves accountable for the work that they do.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

This company stated they checked my transmission fluid on each visit for 2 years and this I later found out was untrue. Half of my receipts state they checked the transmission fluid and half state it was sealed which mean they couldn't get to it! Car had to be towed in and I was told it had no fluid in it. Now I have transmission damage because this!! The manager at this Memphis location was rude ** hell and never once apologized for the damage they caused to my vehicle.. Check your receipts to make sure this hasn't happen to you!! If so file a claim!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I stop by this center for an oil change of Blended Oil. I was greeted quickly and the service was done very fast and professionally. But on my next oil change somewhere else no one was able to get the oil filter off and eventually the canister ripped off the rim of the filter and it cost me $75.00 to have my oil stud removed. Even with the stud out the rim of the filter would not come loose. I have the canister with the employee's initials and date to show the branch manager but don't expect no reimbursement. Oil filters should only be hand tight after wetting the seal with oil on your finger. Whoever did this was absolutely not doing his job correctly and not paying attention to what he was doing. Thanks for nothing Valvoline.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Valvoline put the wrong Filter on my car and it seized the engine causing a $28,000 repair. Then they cleared my car's computer to hide the errors that were on my car and insisted is wasn't anything they did. Litigation soon to come. Do not trust this place.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Went in and got my oil changed which I normally do myself but was heading out of town and didn't have the time. 4 months later I get a "change oil" light flashing on my instrument panel WHICH I DID NOT KNOWINGLY APPROVE! I WOULD NEVER LET THEM DO THAT. I WANT TO SUE!

Valvoline Company Information