Toyota Echo

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I know I am under the wrong heading (Echo) but wanted to say my Sienna is the best car I've ever owned. Not perfect, now having some troubles (17 years old), but so reliable and a very low cost of ownership. I will miss it badly!! Also have a 2012 Subaru Outback. Very happy with it. No problems. Not amazing to drive but very reliable also. The Sienna has better seats!

I couldn't control the car due to the acceleration. I had both feet on the brakes and in a standing position. I drove into a pair zone with orange cones in order to avoid killing anyone & turned off the key. Toyota acknowledges there is a problem but refuses to repair it. I don't know what to do. I can"t afford to purchase a car, I live on SSI & am a 84 yrs old widow. I will have to drive the car, watch for my obituary. Google Toyota Acceleration problem and you won't understand how our country can allow a foreign company treat American citizens this way. It's unbelievable. 4 people were killed here last week with the same problem in a Yaris. How can our Attorney General of the USA allow this??? I am dumbfounded, any suggestions?

I have manual shift 2000 echo. The steering wheel is very hard to steer especially when parking. I have neck, hands, and back injury because the pressure I have to apply to park or turn the car. Sometimes it take 2 persons to steer it. Want to know if this is normal. Can't drive it anymore, is causing chest spasm also. Can anyone give me legal advice? Got it since new.

Air condition problems - when you push the air conditioner button the engine cuts off. HELP, I LIVE IN THE DESERT.

Took my 2004 Toyota Echo, cause it would not start. Was told they don't know what is wrong with it, but it was the motor. How can they say it's the motor if they don't know whats wrong with it??? I will be taking more action. If more information is needed I will provide. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Toyota Yaris - When driving car the power gear gets stiff, and turn on and off. Almost has a several accidents while driving. Call customer care. They don't have a recall for electronic steering wheels. They inform it can be a battery problem. I change the battery. Issue never went away.

Almost three years later, still driving this great car, and at over 164,389. Last got fuel: 315.8; miles since last filled: 7,884. gal Reg = 40.06mpg, country driving only, no freeway. Looking and running like a much younger car.

NOT one drop of oil leaking anywhere under this vehicle! :) No repairs needed, besides oil changes and replacing front brake pads. HIGHLY recommend this vehicle.

Bill of Sebastopol, CA on

Original Review

I bought a used 2000 Toyota Echo in June of 2012, after reading 10 reviews on it online. The ratings were 8 to 10 of Ten, where Ten being most Satisfied, one being least. Since then I certainly agree with these ratings. It had 157,945 miles on it when I bought this Toyota Echo in 2012, and inside and out looks like a three year old car. (It was well maintained, and It's White, the best color for maintaining Gloss & look, since it reflects heat).

It then had and still has zero oil seeping anywhere under the car. It is a Five speed transmission, so I get 38 to 40 mpg in all around driving, with very little freeway driving. I check the miles per gallon every time I fill it. I replaced the front brake pads, and replaced the catalytic converter, which is usually due on any car at this mileage; otherwise it has had no other repairs that were needed. I am very happy with this car.

Toyota Echo 2001 - This car had a recall on 2002 for the engine. I never received the notification. Now, I have a problem with the car.

I have a 2003 Toyota Echo. I failed a smog certification in August 2011; I had work done to fix the emissions problems, and then went back for a retest and my check engine light failed to come on, so I was sent away. I took it to the Toyota of Glendale, CA dealership and they told me that the oil sludge had affected the sensors and there was little I could do about the sludge. They couldn't guarantee their fix of the check engine light that would get me through the smog cert.

I recently purchased a 2001 Toyota Echo at Toyota of Santa Cruz only to discover, that it has a serious noise problem that doesn't show up right away and is continuing to get worse. I am finding Toyota to be unresponsive, and I am concerned that because the noise is getting worse, that it goes beyond noise - which is bad enough - but also may be a safety issue. Toyota knows about the problem, and is selling these cars anyway, without telling warning the customer of the potential problems.

After I put couple of hundred miles the car, as the transmission heated up the car began to give off a loud and extremely hi-pitched whine, like a hydraulic drill only not as loud. Out on the highway, it gets louder the longer you drive. It gets so loud, even the air conditioning at full blast won't drown it out. It is far worse on warm days, and again, gets worse as you drive.
I am afraid to go on any long trips, for fear of what may happen if whatever is making the noise starts to create other problems - since it sounds like something that rubs on something else and that gets progressively worse as the car heats. Toyota went so far as to replace the transmission, But this didn't fix the problem AT ALL.
I had only had the car 3 weeks, and it only has 500 miles on it - and now they (the dealership) is giving me the run around, telling me I have to go through arbitration, and Toyota has never gotten back to me. One of the dealership's employees basically told me that it was just my tough luck, because HE didn't think it was a problem - this after they replaced the transmission on the advice of their own diagnostician, and after Toyota admitted that there was a problem.
I contacted Toyota directly, and they have not responded at all. It is to the point where anything I ask for, be it paperwork or whatever, they just say no. I have been very resonable, polite and civil so they have no excuse for this behaviour, except that they are just hoping I will go away, But I will not let this go, I cant, they sold me a defective car.
I suggested they give me a different Echo, since not all the Echos seem to be this loud, but they said no. And Toyota is now admitting that they knew about this problem with these cars, and it is just my bad luck until they figure out how to, or decide to, fix it. I really feel ripped off!

Is there anything else I can do? I got rid of my old car BECAUSE of the loud obnoxious noises it made, and it was undependable, but my new car is just as bad. I am not a wealthy person, I am unemployed as I do computer work and like so many other people in my industry in California, I was laid off. so my resources for taking legal action are limited.

Toyota Echo Company Profile