1.85/5
Based on 119 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Toyota Sienna

The Toyota Sienna is a minivan. Read more Toyota reviews to learn about other models.

121 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 27, 2018

Bought CPO 011 Sienna LE with auto access seat in 013 with 35k miles. Basically a decent overall vehicle UNTIL THIS SPRING WHEN THE RIGHT SIDE PASSENGER DOOR DEVELOPED A MIND OF ITS OWN! Door would open by itself at random times, then started doing a jumping back and forth motion when you tried to open or shut it. Very dangerous if someone happens to get their hand caught in this cycle. Also door creates an unsafe overall safety situation when you lock it and go in a store only to come back out and find door wide open- easy potential carjacking situation. Recall G04 does absolutely nothing to solve this issue- it only addresses the door if it's frozen shut by overhead ice and then after ice melts or falls off the door would pop open while in motion.

Toyota is in denial, the dealership is in denial, the warranty is not being honored, the District mgr/Dealer CSR/Corporate CSRs, etc all give you the runaround- many unanswered calls, voicemails, email. Toyota admits no actual fix has been developed. The right thing to do is buyback all these accidents waiting to happen or replace all sliding doors with 017 doors or newer. Any company can make and sell automobiles but it's how they take care of customers when a serious safety manufacturing defect arises that shows you about their true nature- in Toyota's case Greed triumphs over Safety.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have owned a 2004 and 2014 Sienna. I bought both these cars new. On both cars the automatic doors completely failed. The door failures on the Siennas is well known to Toyota. Toyota WILL NOT repair the doors. They want $1,800.00 to correct their own engineering failure. This is the SECOND Sienna I have owned ten years from the first and the problems are still not corrected. Toyota quality is a thing of the past.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Some of its competitors are flashier, but this car is just... "right". Every time I get in it, I love it more. Comfortable, capacious, competent and (presumably) as reliable as Toyotas usually are. As the only minivan with AWD, it was almost a foregone conclusion, but no regrets.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The Toyota Sienna is a fine and good car. I like the various things about it like engine power, color, seats and the air conditioning. But it's old and I would so very much like to have a newer one. Also, I would prefer more audio features and automatic doors.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The experience has been good. The vehicle has been a great choice for my family, it's lasted a long time with minimal issues despite the many miles I've put on it and I foresee many miles to come. It accommodated my family and best of all the models we looked at. I like the amount of storage/trunk space. I like the automatic doors and keyless entry the best, also the 4 wheel drive has been very helpful at times. Also the Toyota was one of the only models that came in black. I also think it is the only minivan that is available in 4wd. But I would make darker interior available, the only colors available are very light and seem to show every single piece of dirt. I would also changes the design of the headlights. They seem very dim and seem like they are pointing away from the roads.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota Sienna?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I wanted a minivan to help transport my 5 kids. I chose this Toyota Sienna because it also has all wheel drive and I live in a region with snowy winters. I like all the family friendly features like the automatic doors and all the latch hooks. I also like the built in technology like the GPS and Bluetooth. However, I would ideally allow the video screen to play streaming videos, not just DVDs. And more realistically, I would put LATCH connectors in all the back seats instead of just some and more hooks or ways of making storage compartments in the trunk.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have only had it (Toyota Sienna) for about 200 miles. It is really nice. I call it the Buick of mini vans. It drives so smooth and has an amazing turning radius and great comfort features. I love the heated steering wheel, the Blu ray system to distract my children and the blind spot warning. I also love having 4 tether locations to put forward facing tethered car seats.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Toyota Sienna has been very reliable and comfortable. My dogs love having their own seat. This model is my favorite. I've had 2 others. The only problem with it has been the tie rods went out but wasn't too bad to fix.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I am the owner of 4 Toyota Sienna's and would not buy anything else. The performance is wonderful, gas mileage is about the same as others in the same range. These are well built and the interior is absolutely wonderful. I presently have a 2014 and it runs like a top. I am contemplating a new one in the near future and it would be another Toyota Sienna. The dealer I go to is Lemieux in Green Bay, Wis. and one couldn't find a better group of people. Great service and honesty.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I drive a 2011 Toyota Sienna. I am really happy with the purchase. The van has lasted, it still drives well, and have not had any major issues with it.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Toyota Sienna is a very good car. It rides well, very durable and fully loaded. Very comfortable driver's seat. The best I've ever sat in. Great family car and the only downside is you has low city mileage.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Toyota Sienna has lots of leg room and sliding side doors makes access to back seat easy. My AWD handles very good in the snow. The V-6 has good pick-up getting on the freeway.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I bought a new 2017 Sienna (it was the last one on the lot with all the bells and whistles). I have made 2 payments. It shakes and vibrates whenever I drive it and I don't think the roads are the problem. It feels like I have a bad tire or that I am driving on a bumpy gravel road. After an hour's drive my back is tired! I took it back to the dealer. They agreed that it was a bumpy ride, but said that that is how it is. I am taking it back tomorrow... we'll see if the answer is the same.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I traded my 2014 Sienna SE for 2017 model and I deeply regret my decision. I loved the fuel economy of my 2014 6-speed SE model. I used to get 15.6 l/100 km consistently. I get no less than 22 l/100 km from the 8-speed 2017 SE model driving the same route for the last 3 months! The 8-speed transmission is awful! Constant gear changes just to get to 50 km/hr! Nearly 300 hp totally wasted and un-usable! The most disappointing purchase I've ever made! I should have kept the 2014 model but was foolish enough to get talked into the "upgrade". Don't buy this model! Stay away from 8-speed transmissions! It's like driving a semi-truck in town! Awful!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have had a 2017 Toyota Sienna for almost a year now. The head unit has not worked right since then. I have had three radios installed, one computer controller and multiple updates. What is the problem? The texting does not work. The head unit reboots multiple times while I am driving it. My phone randomly disconnects and now, since I met with a factory rep who told me that the system will work the way Toyota intended it to if I tether my phone to it, once it is tethered it is a guessing game if the phone will connect or not. If it does not and I try to reboot by holding the power button down, still nothing will happen. If I select phone and try to connect manually, once I get to the connect phone screen, the buttons all freeze. It is interesting to me that this is how Toyota intends its cars to function.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Bought a 2015 Toyota Sienna Conversion Van for our handicap son. Replaced 2 batteries. Tires @ 15,000 miles and 26,000 miles. 5 tire rotations. 3 alignments. 5 maintenance on conversion @ $129.00 each. Struts are leaking, but Toyota says seeping. Recall on sliding doors (no fix for months). Could open while driving. Fixed recently. Alignment place, our mechanic, Costco, as well as the mechanics at Toyota of Orange all say it’s due to the overweight of the vehicle. At only 26,000 we’ve had to continually put money into this lemon. Now reaching out to attorneys, we cannot continue to put this kind of money out, our son needs ongoing medical care and reliable transportation.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I have a 2016 Toyota Sienna. Only have 70000 miles on it and the water pump has to be replace already costing me at least 850. Sliding doors been recalled. Will open while driving, this vehicle has had all kinds of problems.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

2016 XLE Sienna - Rubber weather seal in driver door window track kept coming out repeatedly, beginning before the car was 1 year old (purchased in February 2016). Dealer finally decided to replace it. The driver's side seal has started "falling out again" when rolling window down no matter how often they've worked on. Didn't last 3 weeks from first "replacement". When trying to close the window, the loose rubber acts like a block, and the window senses it, forcing the window to open back up, making it almost impossible to close the driver's side window. It has now reached the state where the rubber will no longer go back in properly, I have to get out, use both hands, line it up, slowly put window up, repeat several times until the seal is back in place.

The first replacement Toyota took care of, however, it's never been satisfactorily repaired, replaced or in any manner fixed. The car is now 2 years old and I've had this "worked on" or discussed for over twelve months. The seal on both driver and passenger side windows are less than adequate; but only the driver's side falls out. I cannot open the window on the driver's side now (January 2018) as it may or may not go back in properly. Throughout this, I've been told a few different things, but in over 35 years of owning vehicles, this has never happened. I am going back to Toyota on 1/25/18. Let's see. If this can be repaired and hold, and it's still covered, I will change my final experience.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have a 2015 Sienna and the door kept opening while my kids were in the car. I took it to the dealership and they said they can disconnect the cables because of the recall. This was in June of 2017. I have been checking in periodically with the customer service department to see when they will be fixing this recall along with emailing corporate. They kept telling me that they were sending out the service department so they can learn how to fix the recall. When I called them in August, I was told I can take it in to get it fixed. Went to the dealership and they said it was fixed. All of a sudden, my door would not open. I literally could not get the door open to get my son out of the car. I ended up taking the car down to the dealership the following day. I told them what happened and they said they would take a look at it.

So they told me the weather strip was messed up and I had to pay for it. This is the same door that was giving me problems. They told me they could fix it but it was $600. I don’t mind paying for anything when it’s up to me to get it fixed but this is absurd. This should be fixed and paid by the dealership. I spoke to corporate and they told me I can’t do anything but speak to the dealership. If you want someone to do business with you, this should be handled better. Definitely not like this. What would happen if I was driving and got into an accident and I couldn’t get my door open to get my kids out. This should be the number 1 concern. Not making money off of something that has to do with a recall. This van has nothing but problems. Now, when I go to close my windows, they open when it just about closes. It should be an easier to get problems fixed. I have leased my cars/vans for 14 years and never had problems like this...

\

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I love my 2013 Sienna but the door recall issue is absurd!!! I have to leave the vehicle for 2 days!!! No way!! Yes my family's safety is a #1 priority but 2 days!!! The issues that created the recall appear to not include rust, defective latches in my case since it is garage kept. Very poor build in any case BUT does not influence my purchase. I have had Toyota cars/trucks for over 30 years. My p/up was 25 yrs old, 250,000+ miles when I donated it and it still got $2000 when sold.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Shortly after terrible 30000 mile warranty expired both doors on our 2011 Sienna minivan had the cables snap after doors did not close properly. Toyota refused to repair them and quoted me several astronomical quotes for the repair. The latest was 5600 to repair the doors. I would not advise anyone buy these cars as I have found complaints and lawsuits about the doors since 2000. I was waiting in the showroom and the 2017 have the same thin piano cables on the doors. There is currently a recall on the latches but they refuse to fix any damage on the doors.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased a 2015 Sienna because of the reputation of this vehicle and of Toyota. I have three children and I purchased this to be the family car. My vehicle is now 2 years old but I have had an electrical short that started shortly after purchase that shuts my entertainment system off that the dealership will not recognize because nobody can witness it happening. I am on my second blind-spot monitor failure, and I am about to replace warped-rotors for the second time (the first time at 18,000 miles Toyota covered them but now at 36,000 I am responsible) despite me being a conservative, non-aggressive driver.

What concerns me the most is how I have been treated by Toyota. Since my dealership was not resolving my issues, I reached out to the Toyota Corporate office in Texas and after receiving what I felt was not a good response, asked to speak with a supervisor -- I was told he does not have a voice mail so I could not leave a message. I was told they don't have the ability to send me an email of the policy they were referring to which prevented my repair, and I was not allowed to have the supervisor's last name so I could ask for him on another call. So disappointing as this vehicle has so much promise. I have lost faith in Toyota.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toyota Sienna CE from the dealership new in 2001 in Halifax, Canada. I used it for family needs, carpentry material, carrying kayaks, and/or on rough road to go climbing and caving and driving to Quebec mostly to see my family. I kept the car all those years and only now the car is starting to show rust and mechanical problem. This is my only car and it has been driven through countless winter storms and salt roads. The paint has done well but faded a bit over the years due to UV sun. The rust is now starting to show under the doors. The original muffler as well is now starting to rumble. The engine is still quick to react and does not show any smoke when accelerating or knocking sound.

I spray the under carriage twice a year using spray can undercoating in the Fall and Spring myself plus the occasional under coating from a professional (every three years). I had oil and filter changed every six months regardless of the distance since I would never reach the km indicated for the new oil change anyway. I also filled the car with super rather than regular gasoline. I verified and calculated that it provided more mileage in the summer but not so much in the winter but the true payoff was how clean burning the engine remains over its usage.

Filters have been replaced as called for and one oxygens sensor needed to be replaced last year. My only complaint was with the dealership I used to go to on Kept rd in Halifax. I was there for 10 years when the mechanic twisted the key in the ignition key. I knew, the ignition key was sticking but this person distorted the key so much that it broke the ignition key itself. Nevertheless I agreed to pay for the ignition key since it did shown friction when turning the key over the years and asked for them to pay for the time to install the new part but the service manager refused. I simply paid since I could not start the car without ignition and never went back after.

Almost 17 years, it is time to look for another car. I can only hope I will get as lucky as I have been with the Sienna. The engine is still quite good but the brake line aft needed to be replaced in the past week and the muffler after all those years is about to give up. I truly cannot complain, this car has been spectacular for me and my family. In fact, it is with regret that I have to part away with it. This car was my third in row of Toyota product. My two previous 4 Runners have been good to me as well.

I simply not looking forward to have to go back to this dealership for maintenance. I would surmise that Toyota build excellent car but also the care made a difference; washing, waxing, undercoating, regular oil and filter change, super rather than regular play a role in the longevity of the Sienna no doubt, certainly not the weather. I fully intend to do the same for the next car.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I purchased my Toyota Sienna 2013 XLE new. After 3 1/2 years and 39,000 miles, I have had to replace a full set of run flat tires 4 times, brake pads and now have been informed that I need to replace the shocks and struts and the tires again (since they are wearing unevenly due to the first issue). To top that all off, the cable to the automatic door just broke and that's a $2000 fix (and it has to be done by the dealership). I am extremely dissatisfied with how expensive it has been to maintain this vehicle. All after the 3 year / 36,000 warranty coverage.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Dealership was confused whether the Sienna AWD had a spare tire. It does not have a spare because they have run flat tires. The stock Bridgestone tires have a short tread life and you can neither replace them with conventional tires or buy a donut tire to carry with you. This would affect your warranty as I was told by Toyota Headquarters. I find that Bridgestone now has improved run flat tires that have a tread warranty that fit on the Sienna. Toyota does not use them on their (2017) Sienna AWD and will not replace them. My efforts to be reimbursed by Toyota for these replacements were rejected.

Original review: June 26, 2017

November 2016 Toyota Sienna Van recall required disabling power sliding doors (including rear lift gate). No fix to date. The power releases were a major reason to get the option on this van. I am leasing the van and am expected to pay the monthly fee in spite of the fact that I'm not getting what I ordered or am paying for. No help for the dealer, service department, dealer finance department, or Toyota Finance. Would a class action suit help in this matter?

Original review: April 20, 2017

Rubber weather seal in driver door window track kept coming out repeatedly, so the dealer finally decided to replace it. A few weeks later the same thing started happening on the passenger side, and so the dealer made the decision to replace the rubber around that window track also. So now, it has been around 7 months since last episode, and this morning 4/19/2017 the driver's side seal has started "falling out again" when rolling window down. When trying to close the window, the loose rubber acts like a block, and the window senses it, forcing the window to open back up, making it almost impossible to close the driver's side window. Have to stop car, get out and cautiously fiddle with window, seal, switch to close window. The first episodes were under warranty, I am wondering if they are going to CHARGE me for THIS fix? (This is my last Toyota, period.)

Original review: April 14, 2017

Many smaller issues exist with the current 2011 Sienna model introduced in Spring of 2010. The fit and finish is well below average with several seals and body components failing. You will likely have water leaking into the car via sunroof or windows at some point, and it's not covered under warranty. Major issues include front axle failure, had to be replaced and it was just weeks after extended warranty expired. Maintenance costs are extremely high! Be aware. Your Sienna will eat brakes and tires. Even expensive, high quality tires with 80k mile warranties will only last 15k miles perhaps 20k at most. Brakes will need to be replaced at same rate. In 7 years of ownership maintenance costs are over $5000, this does not include axle replacement which Toyota honorably fixed at no cost due to initial misdiagnosis by dealership. With all the money we have into this car we're going to drive it till it dies.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

My wife and I bought a 2011 Toyota Sienna with about 70,000 miles on it. We have had it 3 years and now has 90,000 miles on it. Been a great van until yesterday when the transmission went out without any warning. We went with Toyota because of the issues with the Honda Odyssey. We will not be buying another one.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Bought the car used from the dealer in 2013. Car has 174K miles (90% freeway). Airbag light came on yesterday. Took it to the dealer today. Says I need to replace airbag ($840). Asked how the airbag could fail, he said that the contacts wear out when you turn the steering wheel. REALLY? I have a 2005 Volvo with 300K+ miles, a GMC Truck that is 17 years old, and a 2001 Honda with 290K miles. I've owned close to 20 cars in my life and NEVER had an airbag failure. Not covered under warranty. My last Sienna (2006) had BOTH sliding door cables snap. I live in California and don't travel to the snow. That was > $3,000 to fix those. What's up with Toyotas? I thought Volvos were supposed to be the expensive car to fix?

Not sure about Toyota Sienna?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Toyota Sienna Company Information

www.toyota.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business