1.59/5
Based on 98 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Toyota Sienna

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 18, 2017

100 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I purchased a 2015 Sienna because of the reputation of this vehicle and of Toyota. I have three children and I purchased this to be the family car. My vehicle is now 2 years old but I have had an electrical short that started shortly after purchase that shuts my entertainment system off that the dealership will not recognize because nobody can witness it happening. I am on my second blind-spot monitor failure, and I am about to replace warped-rotors for the second time (the first time at 18,000 miles Toyota covered them but now at 36,000 I am responsible) despite me being a conservative, non-aggressive driver.

What concerns me the most is how I have been treated by Toyota. Since my dealership was not resolving my issues, I reached out to the Toyota Corporate office in Texas and after receiving what I felt was not a good response, asked to speak with a supervisor -- I was told he does not have a voice mail so I could not leave a message. I was told they don't have the ability to send me an email of the policy they were referring to which prevented my repair, and I was not allowed to have the supervisor's last name so I could ask for him on another call. So disappointing as this vehicle has so much promise. I have lost faith in Toyota.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I purchased a Toyota Sienna CE from the dealership new in 2001 in Halifax, Canada. I used it for family needs, carpentry material, carrying kayaks, and/or on rough road to go climbing and caving and driving to Quebec mostly to see my family. I kept the car all those years and only now the car is starting to show rust and mechanical problem. This is my only car and it has been driven through countless winter storms and salt roads. The paint has done well but faded a bit over the years due to UV sun. The rust is now starting to show under the doors. The original muffler as well is now starting to rumble. The engine is still quick to react and does not show any smoke when accelerating or knocking sound.

I spray the under carriage twice a year using spray can undercoating in the Fall and Spring myself plus the occasional under coating from a professional (every three years). I had oil and filter changed every six months regardless of the distance since I would never reach the km indicated for the new oil change anyway. I also filled the car with super rather than regular gasoline. I verified and calculated that it provided more mileage in the summer but not so much in the winter but the true payoff was how clean burning the engine remains over its usage.

Filters have been replaced as called for and one oxygens sensor needed to be replaced last year. My only complaint was with the dealership I used to go to on Kept rd in Halifax. I was there for 10 years when the mechanic twisted the key in the ignition key. I knew, the ignition key was sticking but this person distorted the key so much that it broke the ignition key itself. Nevertheless I agreed to pay for the ignition key since it did shown friction when turning the key over the years and asked for them to pay for the time to install the new part but the service manager refused. I simply paid since I could not start the car without ignition and never went back after.

Almost 17 years, it is time to look for another car. I can only hope I will get as lucky as I have been with the Sienna. The engine is still quite good but the brake line aft needed to be replaced in the past week and the muffler after all those years is about to give up. I truly cannot complain, this car has been spectacular for me and my family. In fact, it is with regret that I have to part away with it. This car was my third in row of Toyota product. My two previous 4 Runners have been good to me as well.

I simply not looking forward to have to go back to this dealership for maintenance. I would surmise that Toyota build excellent car but also the care made a difference; washing, waxing, undercoating, regular oil and filter change, super rather than regular play a role in the longevity of the Sienna no doubt, certainly not the weather. I fully intend to do the same for the next car.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 28, 2017

I purchased my Toyota Sienna 2013 XLE new. After 3 1/2 years and 39,000 miles, I have had to replace a full set of run flat tires 4 times, brake pads and now have been informed that I need to replace the shocks and struts and the tires again (since they are wearing unevenly due to the first issue). To top that all off, the cable to the automatic door just broke and that's a $2000 fix (and it has to be done by the dealership). I am extremely dissatisfied with how expensive it has been to maintain this vehicle. All after the 3 year / 36,000 warranty coverage.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Dealership was confused whether the Sienna AWD had a spare tire. It does not have a spare because they have run flat tires. The stock Bridgestone tires have a short tread life and you can neither replace them with conventional tires or buy a donut tire to carry with you. This would affect your warranty as I was told by Toyota Headquarters. I find that Bridgestone now has improved run flat tires that have a tread warranty that fit on the Sienna. Toyota does not use them on their (2017) Sienna AWD and will not replace them. My efforts to be reimbursed by Toyota for these replacements were rejected.

Original review: June 26, 2017

November 2016 Toyota Sienna Van recall required disabling power sliding doors (including rear lift gate). No fix to date. The power releases were a major reason to get the option on this van. I am leasing the van and am expected to pay the monthly fee in spite of the fact that I'm not getting what I ordered or am paying for. No help for the dealer, service department, dealer finance department, or Toyota Finance. Would a class action suit help in this matter?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toyota?

Original review: April 20, 2017

Rubber weather seal in driver door window track kept coming out repeatedly, so the dealer finally decided to replace it. A few weeks later the same thing started happening on the passenger side, and so the dealer made the decision to replace the rubber around that window track also. So now, it has been around 7 months since last episode, and this morning 4/19/2017 the driver's side seal has started "falling out again" when rolling window down. When trying to close the window, the loose rubber acts like a block, and the window senses it, forcing the window to open back up, making it almost impossible to close the driver's side window. Have to stop car, get out and cautiously fiddle with window, seal, switch to close window. The first episodes were under warranty, I am wondering if they are going to CHARGE me for THIS fix? (This is my last Toyota, period.)

Original review: April 14, 2017

Many smaller issues exist with the current 2011 Sienna model introduced in Spring of 2010. The fit and finish is well below average with several seals and body components failing. You will likely have water leaking into the car via sunroof or windows at some point, and it's not covered under warranty. Major issues include front axle failure, had to be replaced and it was just weeks after extended warranty expired. Maintenance costs are extremely high! Be aware. Your Sienna will eat brakes and tires. Even expensive, high quality tires with 80k mile warranties will only last 15k miles perhaps 20k at most. Brakes will need to be replaced at same rate. In 7 years of ownership maintenance costs are over $5000, this does not include axle replacement which Toyota honorably fixed at no cost due to initial misdiagnosis by dealership. With all the money we have into this car we're going to drive it till it dies.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

My wife and I bought a 2011 Toyota Sienna with about 70,000 miles on it. We have had it 3 years and now has 90,000 miles on it. Been a great van until yesterday when the transmission went out without any warning. We went with Toyota because of the issues with the Honda Odyssey. We will not be buying another one.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

Bought the car used from the dealer in 2013. Car has 174K miles (90% freeway). Airbag light came on yesterday. Took it to the dealer today. Says I need to replace airbag ($840). Asked how the airbag could fail, he said that the contacts wear out when you turn the steering wheel. REALLY? I have a 2005 Volvo with 300K+ miles, a GMC Truck that is 17 years old, and a 2001 Honda with 290K miles. I've owned close to 20 cars in my life and NEVER had an airbag failure. Not covered under warranty. My last Sienna (2006) had BOTH sliding door cables snap. I live in California and don't travel to the snow. That was > $3,000 to fix those. What's up with Toyotas? I thought Volvos were supposed to be the expensive car to fix?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I don't know what to do but this is killing me. I have a 2015 Sienna I bought 8 months ago. Within the first 3 months I had to replace 3 of the expensive Run Flat Tires. There was nothing in them or anything else. They just went flat and couldn't be fixed (replaced). Well now yesterday 8 months after buying the van, the 4th one is flat and shockingly nothing in it. Just went flat. I lost my job about six months ago and definitely can't afford all this. I don't there is any recourse for me but was hoping you may have a suggestion on something/anything I could try. Sure can't afford to get it replaced right now.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

2011 Sienna XLE - Purchased new in 2011. We have been very disappointed with the quality of material and workmanship. While we have not had any major powertrain problems, there have been so many minor failures and defects that collectively make Toyota a non-option for us in the future. List of issues we have experienced:

1.) Fan in dashboard for heater and A/C had to be replaced in third year.
    2.) Speedometer is off by 3 mph (Dealership would not fix during warranty period stating that it was within Toyota's tolerance).
    3.) Stem for resetting trip mileage broke.
    4.) Top console buttons which control the side doors work intermittently.
    5.) Clock runs fast and often has to be reset to correct time.
    6.) Leather seats are cracking and have become unsightly.
    7.) Rubber seal in rear ventilation window has come loose and cannot be reattached.

8.) Resume function of cruise control system forces an extraordinary rapid acceleration that annoyingly revs the engine and wastes gas.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

This is my second Sienna. First was a 2011 FWD XLE and I put 80K on it with zero issues. 2nd is a 2011 Limited AWD. Another huge successes! Both of these vans were bought in the 40K mileage range and both are being used in the taxi world for UBER. My vans are driven hard every day and they never skip a beat. Never had a power sliding door issues on either vans nor have I had any transmission issues. Unlike most, I flush my transmissions with Amsoil full synthetic transmission fluid. Perhaps getting out that old wore out fluid is why I haven't had any problems. Who knows. Either way, I will continue to buy Toyota. I love their products!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

My 2013 Toyota Sienna minivan transmission was broken at the 65,000 km., and it was repaired by the warranty. Also the 3rd row seat is rattling and got serviced. But it is not fixed. Never buy Toyota again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

Cheap plastic leaves Toyota owners reaching deep into their pockets. Day in and day out, mountains of debris continually accumulates in landfills. Hordes of workers plow vigorously just to create more layers which to dump endless trash upon. Few pay attention to the content of this garbage universe, but me and my fellow Toyota Sienna owners know that an endless sea of cheap Toyota door handles unnecessarily litter these debris fields around the world. Don't be fooled, it can happen to you too. I thought it couldn't happen to me a newer, Sienna owner; but lo and behold, it's 10 degrees outside and I can't open my sliding door. The only way in is through the front door with my children, causing the back breaking experience of loading them in from the front seat. My sister who owns a 94 Sienna is down to one door handle. She can only access her driving experience by climbing over the passenger seat.

The price to have one door handle fixed at the dealership is over $200; the price to put in a quality part upon construction, I'm sure, is far less. Frustrated, I scoured the web for a cheaper fix only to find do-it-yourselfers spending endless hours on the project. Finding no good solution, I'm reminded of Toyota's catchy slogan: "Let's go places." If Toyota had spent a little more time and money, the world's landfills would be a lot lighter and customers' wallets a lot heavier. Toyota should strive to emulate their own slogan, "I love what you do for me."

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

Car has less than 18,000. Brand new lease. Family with 2 kids under the age of 7 were in the vehicle when we were going down a hill and the brakes failed us. Steep hill during rush hour. I still do not know how my husband stopped the car because I hopped onto the back seat to shield our babies. Toyota does not know what caused this but I have lost all hope for this brand. Will never trust Toyota with my or my family's life. Purchase another brand if you need safety. Car is at the dealers and they loan us a car which I refuse to put my children in. ZERO stars!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Bought my 2009 Sienna used from dealer with 100K miles on it. Assumed the good reputation of Toyota would mean another 100K miles on it. Already had a $1000 repair on something the technician said they had seen on other vehicles, but no recall. Just lately, there was a loud crashing noise in one passenger side sliding door when it was parked. Door still worked, but how long, considering what others have written about the door problems. Reported this noise to technician who didn't even tell the repair guy. When I talked to repair guy, he reluctantly looked at it, opened and closed the door. I insisted that he put this on the service sheet. But now I suspect that they knew all along about door problems and were not going to tell me. Am sorry I bought this van. Now seeing I will be heading for a lot of really expensive repairs. Wondering if I should trade it for something more reliable before anything else goes wrong and it is too expensive to fix.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I own a 2012 Sienna, and the sensor on the sliding door would cause a beeping sound (and would not turn off) even though the door was closed. It is tough to close the door because the latch is rusty. Now we keep the door closed. They want $1,400 to fix the latch. Most other years have recall notices for the doors.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I purchased this vehicle brand new with 20 miles on it. It's been an amazing vehicle until a few days ago. The van has 78,000 miles and while driving, the transmission went out. The RPM's went revving pretty high and would no longer move forward. I was traveling at about 40mph when this happened. I had to coast into a parking lot where the van was towed. The dealer stated that the transmission had blown and needed to be replaced at a price tag of $5000.00. Bad Toyota... bad.

Original review: June 13, 2016

I have owned three Toyota Siennas. In June, 2015, I purchased a two year Prepaid Maintenance Program Extension on my 2013 Sienna for $299. We do not drive a lot, and so when this car was destroyed by a careless driver, and we purchased a 2015 Sienna, I took the paperwork down to Stevinson Toyota on Havana in Aurora, CO to get the maintenance contract transferred. I was SHOCKED when they said all they could transfer was $169.94. None of the contract had been used. That is tantamount to theft of $130 of our money. WE WILL FIND EVERY EXCUSE POSSIBLE ONLINE AND OFF, TO WARN PEOPLE ABOUT THEFT BY TOYOTA.

Original review: June 8, 2016

Our 2008 Sienna CE rapidly lost oil when I traveled from Birmingham, AL to Bloomington, IN last fall (11/5) to see a Michigan football game with my son. It again lost oil when my wife traveled from Birmingham to St. Louis this past December. She took it to Midas (it was an emergency since the car was vibrating severely on the highway) where they charged her over $1,000.00 for various things but didn't fix the oil leak problem.

I have since learned that our engine is essentially ruined because of sludge and other issues. The car still drives but leaks oil everywhere and makes a clanging sound. I just took the van to Hoover Toyota, where (in addition to over 1k worth of repairs) the service technicians say they have fixed the recall (the woman at Toyota called it a "Warranty Enhancement") issue related to the vvt-i oil line. However, now it seems we need a new catalytic converter etc. etc., but the real problem seems to be with the faulty engine, which has been spurting oil all over the place for (I guess) several years. We were never informed of this recall. So we have spent over $2,500 on an engine that was already ruined through no fault of our own. We have regularly changed the oil on the car.

Original review: April 12, 2016

I bought it new in 2005 (it was under my husband's name) for over $35,000. It has the 8-passenger option, winter kit and some window tinting, but it's the basic model for the most part. In 2008, at three years old, the electronic door stopped working. Neither doors work in freezing temperatures. The doors freeze shut. My five children have to maneuver from the front passenger side door and enter through the trunk with one seat folded down. It's a very inconvenient design and I regret buying it. The warranty does not cover this. Using the sliding door handles also loosens the nuts inside the door. My handle fell off and the parts fell inside the door.

The heater only works on the driver's side. When the heat is on, the passenger's side blows regular air. I live in Maine and it gets very cold here. I dislike having purchased an expensive vehicle and riding in discomfort. I feel that I paid more because of Toyota's reputation for making dependable vehicles. I was driving and my gas pedal stopped working. It was very scary. I couldn't move it to the side of the road because the road had no shoulder. I was worried about being in the road. I had a bad ignition coil and have a bad cylinder. This wasn't discovered with the safety inspection which I had the day before.

I don't trust this vehicle. I wouldn't purchase a Toyota again. I have also been unhappy with my dealership service. I scheduled an alignment and they outsourced it to the Ford dealership. I went to my appointment, showed up at the Toyota dealership, and they seemed confused. I didn't even know where the Ford dealership was located. It was a frustrating experience for me. I feel they didn't appreciate my patronage. (I have also had my tire fall off, but I had my tires serviced at a local tire shop, not the dealership. I'm not sure if that was connected with the vehicle or with the service center.)

Original review: March 20, 2016

I've had my 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE for a few years now. 319k miles and still going! Only repairs have been AC compressor and timing belt, water pump, which I consider normal wear. She uses a little more oil but after the undeniable dependability of this van, I don't mind at all. Transmission still shifts like it did when it was new.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2015

I have owned my 2007 Toyota Sienna van for 1 1/2 yrs. I love it. 3rd Toyota I've owned in 6 yrs. Great cars. Only issue is bad design. Last year, extender arm broke while rear panel vent window open and window came out of track and smashed on road. And last week, opposite side wasn't even open and it fell out of track, broke off end of arm and also smashed on road. Both times I was on highway doing 65 mph. Luckily no one was hit by glass. I called my dealer Jim White Toyota in Toledo and they said they would tell the manager and they never heard of problem. This is a design flaw. I'm out about $500 in repairs and thank God no one got hurt. Has anyone else had this issue?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Third row seat rattle. Multiple times to the dealer. No luck. Toyota said it's a design issue, refuse to do anything, won't do anything. Pretty much a design issue since 2011. So much for customer relationship and quality. Do not buy TOYOTA again! I think a lawsuit needs to be started.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

This is the worst car I have ever owned! Both power doors immediately broke. $2,600 each to fix? I don't think so! Now the transmission has gone! $5,000 to fix! Are you kidding me! I will never buy a Toyota again and I want to be part of the class action lawsuit that all of the Sienna owners should be a part of!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2015

I heard a rattling noise near the serpentine belt in my 2012 Sienna. I was hoping it was a bearing in the idler pulley. It turns out it is a bearing in the water pump. 15 hours of labor to drop the engine to replace the water pump, total cost for the repair is $1750. The water pump should last longer than 3 years, but to have to drop the engine to replace it is ridiculous. What a poor design. It is my first Toyota and will probably be my last Toyota.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2015

2008 Sienna AWD Limited Van - Bent Rear Axle: When I had my tires rotated in spring they told me I needed an alignment. Took my van to Les Schwab for alignment. They aligned the front but told me they could not align my rear axle as it was bent. They asked if I had been in a severe accident or gone airborne in my van. I am a 60 year old women that has not had a accident or gone airborne in my van. Needless to say I took it to Toyota for some recall work and had them look at my rear axle. They said only one side was bent, where Les Schwab and my husband who has been a mechanic for over 45 years said both sides were bent. Toyota would not cover my axle unless 2 parts have failed. Excuse me but I was not very happy. They told me I must have gone in a big pothole or someone backed into my wheel.

No damage to any wheels and no potholes the size of a large sink hole. My husband just took the back right wheel off of my van up on our lift and showed me how bad they are bent. He said worst design he has ever seen and would bet Toyota know all about it. It is basically designed after a motorcycle swing arm and is suppose to hold up that heavy van. He spent over $40,000.00 on that van when it was new and can't believe the shoddy workmanship it has. I am sure there are a lot of people out there that have had the same thing happen. I am basically the only one that drives my van and all I haul are groceries. Don't get me wrong I love my van, but it has lost it reliability with me. It also has an extended warranty on it up until 100,000 miles, it is nearing that right now. You can call me anytime and I will be glad to give you receipts or verify anything. Thanks for listening.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna with 153,000 miles. Two days ago on the way home from work, my vehicle started hesitating when I went to accelerate. As I was emerging off of the expressway it made this horrible sound and stop accelerating up the hill. No engine lights or other lights were illuminated on the dash. I immediately called AAA and the driver immediately said, "It's your transmission." I couldn't believe that's so.

In any case had the vehicle towed to the Toyota service center. The service center had my vehicle the entire day and called the following day to say that my transmission fell apart. What?? How does a transmission just fall apart? They told me that they didn't know and couldn't tell me because they would have to charge me man-hours to research. I am so upset. Toyota vehicles should get more mileage. And considering the fact that it cost $5717.00!!! That's more than what the van is worth. I called Corporate and no one has returned my calls. Outraged!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

Toyota Sienna 2005 - We bought this vehicle from Toyota dealer in 2009 and it has been problem after problem! The engine knocked after and had it rebuilt and it has engine problems again. We have spent so much on this vehicle that it's a shame we have to junk it after just 10 years of its existence! Shame shame! I thought Toyotas had long life! Wrong! I am so disappointed the power doors jammed as soon as we bought it! Will be taking it to the dealer for a trade in as a last result! Hoping for some good news!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2015

2006 Toyota Sienna Van. Wife driving vehicle when van started to act weird. Van started losing power and engine revving at the same time. Van felt like it was going to stall. Drove a short distance and parked in a parking lot. Got out of vehicle and noticed pooling of red fluid and a trail of it from where I just drove. Turns out transmission line from the radiator just detached. Not broken or leaking from seal but literally detached. I could easily see the nut, thread, and gasket at the end of the transmission line, but cannot see any reason for it just to simply pull away from the radiator. Lost all our transmission fluid and majority of radiator fluid. The extent of the damage has not yet been determined.

Toyota Sienna Company Information