4.5/5 (254 ratings)

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

olive Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

It was easy to get on the website and look at the coverage. Plus, they sent it to me and I got to read it over. I can cancel at any time. The only thing is the payment is taken out of an account that I have and I would rather see the bill.

olive response

Hi Tim, thanks for the five stars and your review. We do draft the payment out of the account you choose on the same day every month. Sorry to say we do not send out any bills. You can change the date of the draft if that works out better for you. Call Customer Service at 1-800-654-8348 if you wish to make that change. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Signing up was so easy. All my questions were answered and I felt very comfortable going with them.

olive response

Hi Karen, thanks for the five stars and review. Glad to hear you thought signing up was easy and you got all of your questions answered. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Olive was easier to deal with than the other companies I looked at because I can do everything from the app as opposed to having to wait online and on the phone for somebody to answer my calls to get service. Also, when I was signing up, the reps were very educational and helpful.

olive response

Hello Michelle, thanks for the four stars and review. We are proud to say you can go from start of looking at our plans to selecting and paying for your plan all 100% online! We are really trying to shake up the industry especially by staying far away from the robocalls! Welcome to the olive family.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

They explained their product and were very professional. The rep who helped me with signing up was very helpful. I had to call him back a couple of times and he remembered me.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for providing your feedback and the 5 star review. We are glad our team provided you with the top notch customer service you deserve. Welcome to the olive family, cheers!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Olive has the complete care and nobody else offered the complete care. The reps answered all my little questions. Everything was good. I got an email. They gave me a breakdown and how to file a claim and how to call the 800 number. And if something happens, try to find something that's reasonable.

olive response

Hello Devall, thanks for your review and five stars. So glad to hear everything went well with obtaining your policy with olive. Let us know if you have any further questions. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

The plan that I bought worked out the best for my vehicle because it's got a lot that goes into it. None of the other ones covered the turbocharger. So I needed one that covered that, and their premium did. They've also gotten back to me quickly every time that I've contacted them with questions about the warranty since purchasing it.

olive response

Hello Martin, thanks for the five stars and your review. We are glad to hear you found the coverage you needed for your vehicle. We thrive on great customer service and meeting all of the needs of our customers. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Olive is horrible. They started a policy for coverage on January 5th. The vehicle that was under coverage, a 2018 Chevy Sonic, belongs to my wife. The car was driven on the 6th to the 11th and it was the 12th when it wouldn't start. When the dealership looked into it, they said it was internal. There were no leaks but we needed a new motor. Now Olive is denying the claim for repairs. They said the vehicle had preexisting problems but there is none. In August of 2021, the vehicle went in for service at a dealership and they serviced it. It ran fine. Olive said the car doesn't operate. I told them the car operates. 12 miles were driven then we had a mechanical breakdown.

It's a $9,000 expense. I have a $500 deductible and they said, “Keep your 500. We're denying the claim and we are not going to help you out. But we will charge you up to 100,000 miles because you got 60,000 miles. Your premium’s every month.” That's unfair. They should be disclosing that if you have pre-existing problems, you will not get the warranty and they won't take the money. It's a scam. They don't want to refund the premiums too.

olive response

Thank you, we appreciate your review, Ruben. We are sorry to hear that your claim was denied, this does happen from time to time, based on pre-existing conditions. If you would like further explanation, please reach out to our claims dept. at (800)773-9980 7am-4pm PST.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Olive is worth the money for what it costs. Also, their reps were good enough for me to go with them.

olive response

Hello Chris, thanks for the five stars and review! Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Good service. Straightforward answers and pricing. I would recommend the service to others as it relates to car warranties. I’m hoping I won’t have to use but it’s good insurance just in case it’s needed.

olive response

Hello Riley, thanks for the five stars and your review! Glad to hear you were happy with the prices and getting your questions answered. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

Olive has a simple signup process. I got all my paperwork with my warranty information already, so it went pretty good.

olive response

Hello Darrell, thanks for your review and four stars. Happy to hear that the sign up process was simple for you. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Olive was saying that they cover everything. I talked to the representative and said, “Make sure we’re covered. Because if something happens, if it ain’t covered, I’ll cancel you guys. And I’ll put a bad review on the internet for you guys.” As far as the purchase process, I did everything online. Then, they decided to give me a call. Everything was quick. They just asked me if I had any questions.

olive response

Hi Miguel, thanks for your review and four stars. We are very transparent. If you do happen to have a claim and it is with a covered part all costs will be covered after the deductible is paid for. Let us know if you have any any other questions. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I haven't needed to use the service as of yet as all things are working well on my car but I did have to reach out to the company to update information and all my interactions with them have been good from the initial quote process through my interaction with them today. I also met a friend this last week who has the service and they were pleased with the service provided.

olive response

Hi, Kimberly. This is Ctina from olive and I am so pleased we have met your expectations, so far. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, as well as your friends. We sure are happy to have you in the olive family!

Cheers!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

It was easy to sign up with Olive and the person I spoke with was very good, but I want to cancel it because I found something better.

olive response

Hi Manuel, this is Cassie with olive. We are pleased to know that you have a good experience with our team. We are certainly sad to see you go, however if you ever change your mind we are more than happy to help.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

The people I spoke with were nice enough but the policy only covers manufacture defects, I am looking for a warranty on a 7 year old vehicle with 100k miles, so covering normal wear and tear is what I need if it fails, cover it if it is not normal maintenance, so did not work, and the referral to it was not some unbiased thing but really just an advertising site, approved patterns pay them and that is the only ones they suggest.

olive response

Hi Gene, we apologize if you do not feel our options meet your needs. We cover mechanical failures, excluding wear and tear items; for example oil changes. If your engine failed, but have kept up with regular maintenance, that would be a considered a covered part. Consumer Affairs matches you based on certain criteria, and we are one of the only companies who offer coverage in the state of California. We strive to give our customers top notch experience and peace of mind coverage at a low rate. We are accredited with the BBB and have maintained an A+ rating, 4.7 Google star rating and are backed by a global insurer, QBE, who has been in business for over three decades. We hope that you will reconsider in the future and give us a chance.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2022

I got the Olive mechanical breakdown package. There are only a few companies that handle that type of insurance here in California and looking at the options, they seemed like the best option. The purchase was fairly simple. The price tool was fine.

olive response

Hello Marc, thanks for the five stars and your review. Glad to hear you chose olive for your car insurance in California. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Olive's price was decent and for the type of car that I bought, it was the top choice. The Olive reps were pretty knowledgeable. They let me know what I needed to know. The first girl didn't quite know as much as the second one as far as renewing the warranty whenever it got to be past the three-year mark. The first one told me, "You won't be able to renew it." The second one said, "That's not completely true." She said I can renew after some mileage. It'll just be at a higher deductible.

olive response

Hello Michelle, thanks for the five stars and your review. We will be in touch with you to clear up the confusion of the renewal qualifications. olive appreciates you taking the time to share your concern.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I called Olive and the representative was really helpful. She convinced me that it was a good one. Olive’s purchasing process was easy and quick.

olive response

Hello Jose, thanks for the five stars and your review. Glad to hear your experience with getting your policy went well. Welcome to the olive family.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

My Mini Cooper is covered by Olive. I have peace of mind knowing that I have extended warranty on there. The prices are reasonable, and based on my experience, their customer service is good.

olive response

Hello Tiffanee, thanks for the five stars and letting us know you have peace of mind with olive coverage. That is exactly how we want our customers to feel. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Olive's price was good, and the reviews were good. Signing up was very easy, too. I had a claim for the lifter and injectors, and my service advisor said it was quick and easy and they were great to work with. I had to pay my deductible but other than that, everything was covered.

olive response

Hello Gerald, thanks for the five stars and your review. Glad to hear your claim went well and that the sign up process was easy. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I got Olive and it seemed like it was good. The reps were helpful.

olive response

Hi Charles, glad to hear you feel the assistance you received was helpful. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks for the five stars. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

The experience has not been very good right now. Olive messed up with the deductibles. They still owe me money, because they overcharged me. And I’m still waiting for a resolution, which leads me to believe that I may be in store for other experiences if we have a claim. I may have to dispute a credit card charge. It's not a lot of money, but it's two months. And for me, it's more a matter of principle. Someone should have taken ownership of this rather than me having to escalate this from one person to the other.

olive response

Hello Dr. M, we sincerely apologize for this experience and appreciate your feedback as we are always working to improve our customer's experience. Our records indicate the changes you have requested have been resolved for all three policies and your refunds have been processed. We want to ensure you get the best customer care going forward and thank you for being part of the olive family. Please let us know if we can do anything else to help.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Olive would go ahead and provide their services to me because of the amount of miles that my vehicle had. The rep was knowledgeable when she was talking about it.

olive response

Hello Patricia, thanks for your five stars and review. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I input my requirements on the ConsumerAffairs website, my vehicle, and ConsumerAffairs matched me with Olive. I researched them myself, made sure they're a reputable company, and I liked the way they work. They’re very modern working with apps. So, it just made it a lot simpler for me to work with them. I took a while to respond to the initial quote. It was just due to some personal stuff going on. And they called me just to see if they could help me out with anything regarding the quote, if I had further questions. I had a question or two, which they answered, and I proceeded off to purchasing the insurance. They had different options on the different levels of cover, and I had to look through all the different things that they cover to find something that matches the age of my car and the risk that I'm willing to accept. But it was all fairly clear in the purchasing process. I had a pleasant experience.

olive response

Hello Gerhard, thanks for walking us thru your experience with purchasing your coverage and that you had a positive experience with it. We appreciate you wanting to research olive before moving forward as well. Welcome to the olive family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

The guy that waited on me was really good. Everything was good with him. I selected the minimum plan, $500 deductible, because my car only has 22,007 on it even though it’s a 2015. I’m not counting on anything major, but just in case.

olive response

Hello Anthony, thanks for the five stars and your review. You have the right way of thinking to get the coverage for your car for the just in case situation. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

Olive fits my needs. They had good customer service. The guy was very helpful. It has been just my second payment. And so far, it has been so good.

olive response

Hello Guillermo, welcome to the olive family. Thanks for the five stars and your review. Olive is glad to fit your needs and hopefully any expectations you may have for your vehicle. Cheers!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

When I signed up with Olive, the rep was gonna mail me some literature on it and he was also gonna text me some information, but I never received it. I'm a little worried. In case something happens, I don't know what kind of proof I have for the warranties that I'm buying. But when I signed up, it sounded really good. I was happy with it.

olive response

Hi Gilbert, thank you for the review and feedback. It looks like we sent you a welcome email on January 20th, please ensure to check your spam folder as well. It takes about 2 weeks to receive the physical policy card in the mail. If you still have not received it, please reach out to our customer service department at (888)654-8348. We appreciate your business and want to welcome you to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

The advertisement said all I had to do was sign up online. It was easy, except I got confused when I got a call. Sometimes when I respond to something on the internet, I get a flurry of calls from people. I was attracted to that ad because I thought, "Oh, cool, I can just sign up and I don't have to deal with somebody calling me." I just went back to the online application process and got it that way.

olive response

Hello Chris, thanks for your review. We apologize you were upset with our calls. We were attempting to briefly follow-up to see if you had any questions and to let you know the quote is only good for 30 days. The rate is not locked in for you until you purchase the policy. We are always trying to improve our enrollment process. Rest assured olive does not make robocalls and never will. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I liked the purchasing process with Olive. It was good. The rep explained everything to me and took his time letting me know what options I have.

olive response

Hello Jose, thanks for your five stars! So happy to hear you were pleased with the sign up process. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I just recently signed up, but my experience has been good.

olive response

Hello Timothy, thank you for your review and four stars. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Purchasing was straightforward, and cut and dried.

olive response

Hello Kai, thanks for the five stars! Glad to hear you thought purchasing your policy was straightforward. There is no need for it to be anything else for our customers. Welcome to the olive family.

olive Company Information