4.5/5 (346 ratings)

About olive

olive is a consumer-informed mechanical breakdown coverage provider that seeks to offer a high-quality product at the right time in a transparent manner. Plan holders can cancel at any time or transfer the plan to a new buyer without a transfer fee. olive’s customers are in the driver’s seat when it comes to purchasing options and plan choices, and all rates are locked in for three years. Once you choose your deductible and coverage level, coverage begins the next day with no waiting period. olive is the official auto mechanical breakdown coverage partner of the NHL.

Pros

• Quote and buy online 24/7
  • No robocalls ever
  • No waiting period or inspection

Cons

• Preexisting conditions not covered
  • Vehicle must be 10 years or newer
  • Doesn’t cover some performance cars

Bottom Line

olive provides multiple solutions to cover your vehicle. olive has three plan levels with three deductibles available to purchase 100% online or over the phone. Your vehicle must meet age and mileage restrictions.

olive Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about olive?

Original review: April 11, 2022

The purchasing process was smooth. The only issue I have is I haven't received any statement showing when the next payment is due.

olive response
Hey, Jeffrey, thanks for leaving us this review and sharing your experience. You can check you payment date and find all of your supporting documents in your "olive Grove", which is your online portal to all things olive. We would be happy to help you with any questions or guiding you to your portal, if you give us a call at 888-654-8348
M-F 7-4 EST.

Welcome to the olive family.

Ctina with olive

Original review: April 8, 2022

The reps explained everything but while they were explaining, I was looking at a flyer Olive sent me, and I was looking at what it was saying. It turned out good. I hope I don't have to use Olive but if I do, they’re saying they’ll take care of me. It's nice to know that I have that in my back pocket to use just in case. I can't beat the price. I had a different service with my car and I was paying 100 something dollars for it a month, and this is way less. I like it because it covers just as much and maybe more. I'm retired. I'm on a fixed budget and the payment fits my budget perfectly. I'm not spending a bunch out every month. I love the service that Olive provides. I already referred my cousin. She's gonna get a new car within the month and I gave her the flyer that Olive sent me. I told her not to get anything from where they’re getting the car from and to use that. She plans on doing it so I already got Olive one new customer.

olive response

Wow! Gregory, thank you for sharing your experience with us and your family members. We are so happy to bring you the peace of mind you deserve in mechanical breakdown coverage. We welcome you and are excited to have your cousin join this great family, too.

Ctina with olive

Original review: April 7, 2022

The buying process with Olive was great. The rep explained everything and the price was just right. It was a good experience.

olive response

Jennifer, thank you for this shining review. Welcome to the olive family!

Ctina with olive

Original review: April 6, 2022

The person I talked to was wonderful as well as the communication with Olive. They were very good salesmen and explained the whole thing to me. I got the drivetrain warranty and I haven’t had to call Olive yet for anything but I hope I don’t have to. Everything so far is doing good. They haven’t bugged me at all and the money is coming right out of the bank without a problem.

olive response

Thank you, Dave, for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to meet your expectations and welcome you to the olive family!

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 28, 2022

I took the car in for a service claim and Olive is not paying anything on it. The thermostat went bad in my Audi. It was discovered during inspection. I had it towed in due to that, and told the dealership to do an inspection as well. They had a dispute with Olive about the amount of hours. They wanted to bill six hours. Olive wanted to pay two. They called me, got me involved in the middle. I talked to the folks at Olive. And I said, “Okay, I see your point. It’s what your book says,” although their book is wrong. My own Chilton's manual says it’s six hours. So they went ahead and fixed the car.

The dealership talked to these people three times, and I talked to them twice. At the end of everything, it’s covered under their warranty, what is supposed to be fixed, but they said they never gave permission for the repair, which I didn’t understand. Because we had that dispute, between me and him with me agreeing to the hours, and he talked to the dealer again. And at the end, they said, “We’re not paying that. You didn’t get permission.” I said, “You know how many hours we spent on the phone with you people? What do you mean no permission?” I had to drive up to the dealership twice and was on the phone with these people with the mechanic. How was that not permission?

It doesn’t makes sense. Because the man told me on the phone, “I’ll tell them to go ahead and make the repairs since you agreed to the hours,” which I didn’t have a choice. I had to agree. That was all they would pay. I submitted the claim, and they said, "We're not paying this. You didn't get the permission." Plus, there was eight to nine people involved within that company, and that bugged me. Because I had warranties before, and I never had to get involved on any claims.

I did a little research, and there's a lot of folks who don't think too much of Olive. I don't know what they're using for hours guidelines, and I don't know how they can dictate to a mechanic how long something takes anyway. But I looked at their shop manual and it says 6.2 hours for a qualified mechanic. I got a Chilton’s manual on my car, and sure enough, it says six hours if you know what you’re doing. Because this thing is in the middle of the engine. They have to tear all these stuff out of the way. It’s not like a normal thermostat. It's actually a computer thing. And I didn’t argue the hours with them because I realized there was no sense in that. They got their own guide sheet, even though it appears to be out of date and completely wrong.

This just ended two weeks ago. I sent the claim in again with a cover letter and faxed it to Olive, asking if they would reconsider paying it. Because out of the 2,400 bucks, they only offered to pay 400 of it anyway, which I thought was bad. They talked a good game, but they didn’t play one. I'm not happy with them. I'm canceling them.

olive response

Michael, we are sorry to hear how confusing this claim has become. For future claim references, we use Alldata guidelines for labor costs.

In reviewing your account, I can see that we have been trying to contact you by phone for a reimbursement deposit on this claim. However, have not reached you. Please call us to make these arrangements as soon as possible at 1-(800)773-9980 7am-4pm PST.

We are happy to help get this resolved and answer any further questions you may have.

Ctina with olive

Original review: March 27, 2022

I contacted Olive and spoke to Dennis. He gave me the rundown of what coverage plan was best for me or which one would cover what I was concerned about, which took me a little bit of time to finally commit, but we finally pulled the trigger on it. Signing up was pretty simple. The fact that my policy started the next day was nice.

olive response
Hello Chase, thanks for the 5-star review! Happy to hear that Dennis provided all of the information for you to feel good and "pull the trigger" to get olive coverage for your vehicle. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 26, 2022

I signed up with Olive and I have enjoyed the experience. Olive has an actual person that I could email back and forth with and it made me very comfortable knowing that there was a human being that I could talk to. They gave me an offer that I could afford. The monthly price was reasonable.

olive response
Hello Hope, thanks for the five-star review. We are glad to hear how happy you were to be able to talk by email regarding the details of the coverage that you wanted. We try to be flexible for our customers with the ways communication can occur here at olive. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 25, 2022

I was doing a search on the internet on a bunch of different warranty companies and Olive came up number one. I spoke with a representative and I finished signing up by doing it online myself. Their customer rep was very knowledgeable and friendly. As far as getting set up online, it was very easy to find what you needed to fit what you needed. There were three different types of policies that I could go with.

olive response
Hello Melven, thank you for the 5-star review. We are so glad to hear that getting your coverage online went well for you. We recognize that there are other choices and we appreciate that after looking around you decided to come to olive. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 24, 2022

My experience with Olive has been favorable. The only problem that I had was they kind of bait-and-switched me. They quoted me one price, and they ended up settling on one that was substantially higher. I told them that I had 120,000 in my car. Then when I actually did the warranty, I had 124,000 miles. They said because I had more miles on it than what I said, the price would go up, which doesn’t make any sense to me. It seemed to me that the price would go down, but they said that the price had to go up.

Hi David,

We will take a look at this for you. There are a number of factors that determine a premium, just like any other insurance. i.e. miles, year, make and model. Let us review your policy and we will get back with you directly on the matter. We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheers,

The olive Team!

Original review: March 23, 2022

The rep was very good, and the package I signed up for is a good one. That's why I bought it. Having coverage brought me a lot of peace of mind, and it's worth whatever I paid for it. If my car breaks down and the motor falls out and they fix it, then that would be the value of having it.

olive response
Hello William, thanks for the 5-star review. We are so happy to hear you have peace of mind with olive coverage. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 22, 2022

Olive doesn't make you wait too long if you have a problem. I got a card to put in my wallet in the mail and everything's fine so far.

olive response
Hello Erle, thanks for the five-star review. Happy to hear you are pleased with the speed olive works. No time to waste to get great coverage for our customers! Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 21, 2022

The salesman was very helpful and answered all my questions. The price was excellent. Olive could send a hard copy that people could put in a file so they would know for sure what is covered what is not.

olive response
Hello Ernest, thanks for the five-star review. olive is a green company and provides all documents by email unless requested. Let us know if you did not receive the documents in your email or if you would like a paper copy mailed to you. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 20, 2022

The dealership I purchased the car from didn't cover everything that I wanted to be covered on it like the air conditioner and other electronics and Olive does.

olive response
Hi Brian, thanks for the 5-star review! We are glad to hear after shopping around you obtained your vehicle coverage from olive. Hoping you have peace of mind now that we have you covered. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 19, 2022

When I signed up with olive, all the questions that I needed answered were answered by the person I worked with. She told me about the different packages and I went with the $200 deductible. My experience was awesome.

olive response

Hello Gary, thank you for the five stars and your review! We appreciate you sharing that your experience getting coverage with olive went well. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 18, 2022

My experience signing up was good. The guy explained it to me and it seemed pretty low pressure compared to what it could have been so that gave me a good feeling.

olive response
Hello Karl, thanks for your 5-star review! Happy to hear you did not feel any pressure to sign up for coverage. Welcome to the olive family!

Lori from olive

Original review: March 17, 2022

The representative who helped me get the policy was good. He was very clear in telling me what the right plan should be. I had some deductible to lower down the monthly cost. So in case there is a breakage, it's okay to pay a $500 deductible. I just got the policy, and some of the things I liked were the flexible payments option and monthly payments. The coverage was good as well. They were detailed enough.

olive response
Hello Varun, thanks for the 5-star review. We are glad to hear that you got the help to find the plan that fits you just right. Welcome to the olive family.

Lori from olive

Original review: March 16, 2022

I wish that the description of the policy that I bought would simply say, “We cover everything except this.” But it doesn't do that. It's really complicated. My vehicle is essentially new. It's only three years old. So, the powertrain is still covered for another two years. But I thought, since Consumer Reports won't even recommend the Subaru Ascent anymore, even though we've had no trouble, it seemed to me that it made no sense to spend 1,100 bucks for another three years worth of coverage.

Hello Gregory,

Thank you for the 5 star review and welcome to the olive family! We strive to be fully transparent with our coverage options and appreciate the feedback. Please take the time to review the Terms & Conditions for your policy to see the exclusions listed. In order to protect your personal information, if you have additional questions, we are here to help. Please feel free to give our customer service team a call at (888)654-8348. We are open from 7am to 6pm PT.

Original review: March 15, 2022

I had one thing happen to my car and Olive Auto Warranty covered it no problem. It was easy, friendly, and informative. The dealership contacted them. Olive could give a multi-car discount.

olive response

Hello Aquil, thanks for your review. We are glad to have helped you get back on the road again. We want our customers to have peace of mind with our coverage. Let us know how we can turn your 3 stars into 5 stars. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 14, 2022

Olive Auto Warranty offered a price that I could afford and still maintain the coverage that I would need. And they did a good job of informing me of what it covered as an insurance over a warranty, and what that means. They talked about the different parts and everything that would be covered. And they also followed up and sent me a hard copy. The fact that I have it brings me a lot of confidence that should I need something, I know that I’m covered.

olive response

Hello Bernice, thanks for sharing your experience and the five stars. We are so happy to have you as a part of our olive family! Let us know if you need any further assistance. Cheers!

Original review: March 13, 2022

I learned about Olive and thought it would seem like a good option. When I went out, it was ConsumerAffairs who said, “Hey, by the way, this is who we would recommend.” I spoke with the representative from Olive for a long time, just asking questions. He was personable and very knowledgeable, and he answered my questions. And it felt it would be, “Okay, will this do what I needed to do, which is provide full coverage for my vehicle as needed, and with the deductible?" Of course, I wanted to go with the best service. I ended up signing up at that time. I went to a website and put my information. But he signed me up on the phone.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Warranty companies should explain what they cover and make sure their customer is covered. They should do what you say you're gonna do. Olive sounded good online and I did everything through there.

olive response

Kenneth, thank you for taking the time to share this review and what brought you to the olive family!

Original review: March 12, 2022

Olive was one of the companies recommended in California that was available and that was in my price range. I signed up with them online.

olive response

Hello Sean, thanks for the four stars and your review. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 12, 2022

The person I talked to from Olive was really nice on the phone. He answered my questions really well, so I was able to say okay to him. He wasn’t pushy. I felt comfortable enough to ask questions and tell him, “I’ll think about it.” He didn’t make me feel pressured which is really a good thing. He told me what the quote was and asked me what I was looking for. I told him what I was looking f, and he found me a decent price that I was able to afford. It covers the basic stuff that I want to have on my ‘18 Altima.

olive response

Daniel, we are so happy to hear that we have exceeded expectations in a hassle-free, transparent coverage experience. Welcome to the olive family and thank you for sharing your review.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I tried to go through Ford, but their program was way over above my head. I went on the internet looking at several different companies and I was a little skeptical about it because of giving out information and not knowing exactly if it's reputable. I tried to find that out first before I went ahead and signed up. I talked to somebody at Olive personally, and she sent me the things about the different ratings. It eased my mind a little. I like the fact that they explained to me about the different types of packages, and when they found that my car had less than 100,000 miles on it, I qualified for a certain coverage. I liked that. I also shopped around, and their price was good.

Olive emailed me something about the coverage, but I like to have something I can hold in my hand and read. I asked for written stuff, and I got the package, but I haven't read it yet. I also talked to them yesterday and I was glad I did because I was calling to do my payment. They told me it was automatically set up and to use the card that I had. I didn't know that, so I gave them my bank information because I would rather for it come out of there than to be charged through a credit card every month.

olive response

Marilyn, we pride ourselves in a transparent, hassle-free process and am so happy to hear we have exceeded expectations! Welcome to the olive family and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I bought out the lease on my car and wanted a warranty on it. I investigated lots of different companies and was getting some really bad feedback. I contacted ConsumerAffairs to see what they recommended and Olive came up on the list. I contacted them and they were wonderful. It was a real change of pace from the others that I had spoken with. I talked to one company and I was asking questions about what their warranty covered and what the restrictions were. The guy hung up on me rather than answer my question. It wasn’t that way with Olive at all. I was pleased with the sales process and the person I talked to. Olive had what I was looking for and they were very helpful. It was a good experience and I'd recommend them to anybody. I signed up with Olive four weeks ago.

olive response

Hello Sally, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. We take pride in providing excellent customer service and it is wonderful to hear you are pleased. We recognize there are other companies out there and appreciate you choosing us. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I began my purchase experience on the phone, and the agent was a 10 out of 10. I have not used the service, but having coverage is real valuable.

olive response

Thank you, Tamica, for taking the time to share this FIVE-STAR review and welcome to the olive family.

Original review: March 10, 2022

I decided to try Olive and they were very nice. The young man there was very informative. He was not pressuring me. I like what they present, everything they cover, and the price. I still went to a couple of other warranty places and in the end, I liked Olive's program the best. It was a very pleasant experience buying from them.

olive response

Hello Shirley, we are so glad to hear you looked into coverage with other companies and that olive was suited best for you. Thank you for the four stars. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 9, 2022

They answered our questions and gave us a perfect quote and we are very happy. I would tell everyone I know about them. The person who helped us was knowledgeable and very helpful. She was able to make our warranty to go more than 100,000.

olive response

Thank you for the wonderful review Sandra, we are so glad we were able to provide you with coverage and price that fits your needs. Thank you for spreading the word about us. Welcome to the olive family!

Original review: March 9, 2022

Olive's cost was good, but besides that, my main reason for getting it was it was in effect right away. I went to some other sites that I put my information in, but there was a waiting period before the contract became active. Olive also has three different options that one can choose from, whether someone wants to go with Grade A, B, or C. A covers a lot more things than B, but then B and C are a little cheaper than A. I took a look at the different coverages as far as the vehicle and what parts of the engine it covered at the time.

I spoke to a representative initially when I got all of this set up, and he explained things to me. I asked him a ton of questions about how it worked, if I got in an accident or if some particular engine part failed. It was a number of car maintenance and troubleshooting or scenarios that I asked him about. We got it set up, but then my bank card got lost. I got my it renewed, but I forgot to go back online to update the information on Olive.

I was covered for most of that year. By the time I got a notification through email from Olive, it already lapsed. When I reapplied, I did everything online. It was option number two that I selected, and submitting the information via the website went smooth. Olive then found the original application that I had on file with them. I reactivated it, but it cost me more, because I had less miles on that car at the time. I hope nothing happens to my car, but if something did, I would like to be assured that it will be covered, especially if it’s nothing of my fault. With every service maintenance agreement, you have to keep records of your maintenance and you got to do it on the intervals the manufacturer required.

olive response

Digging into your coverage options is a MUST, Clifford, we are so happy you were able to find the peace of mind you were looking for at olive. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Original review: March 9, 2022

I didn't want to buy a warranty through the dealer that I bought my 2014 Mercedes Benz through. I wanted to see what was out there. I called a couple of places and Olive seemed to be the cheapest with the most coverage. Some of the companies didn’t even offer the kind of warranty or coverage in California. The sign-up process with Olive was very positive. It was pretty fast, which was nice. The plans offered were pretty good.

olive response

Hi David, thanks for the 5 stars and your review. We are proud to be able to offer coverage in California. We appreciate you shopping around and then obtaining your coverage with olive. Welcome to the olive family!

olive Company Information