2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.67/5

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Nissan Sentra Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I purchased my 2018 Nissan Sentra because my 2016 Sentra's transmission was going bad a few months after purchasing it from Enterprise. Nissan has very good sales people. I was very happy with being able to bring my car for free oil changes and the security of being able to come to Nissan with my questions or concerns. Then my transmission in my 2018 began to go bad. Since it is a problem with Nissan transmissions Nissan replaced it and charged me 300.00 because I was a bit past my warranty. Nissan offers convenient ways to pay your car note. Will work with you as much as possible to stay current as long as you keep communication open with them if you are experiencing financial hardship. As far as value of the car itself my opinion is Sentras are crappy and cost way too much for what you actually get.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

This is my second Nissan Sentra. My first Nissan Sentra I had for over 15 years and then I gave it to my nephew and he had it for at least another five to seven years before he got a new Nissan Sentra. When I gave my nephew my old green Sentra I got a new one. It is gas efficient, reliable, it takes me across the United States and it takes me north and south in the United States. It has ample room for luggage and room in the back seat for a passenger or just two small dogs to sit comfortably. I trust Nissan Sentra. I got this one and no just this one at New Port Richey Maus Nissan. I worked with a woman on the first one named Kelly but she is no longer there.

I worked to get the second one with a man named Pat. He worked with me to get the monthly payments that I wanted. Wanted. Of course at first me being a woman alone in a relatively male-dominated area I would tell them what I want and they I would want to pay a month and they would come up with payments at least double the amount I wanted to pay. I stood my ground. I was adamant and I did get what I wanted but it took 427 trips into Nissan to get what I wanted. I don't believe they do the same thing to male customers. They do have a tendency 2 push mower on a woman for unnecessary things they might need or things that they might not need. It is up to a woman to say no and to stick to her guns and know what she wants before she goes into any automobile sales room.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Our Sentra has been a very reliable car with very few nonmajor problems. The gas mileage is pretty good, around 21m.p.g. We get reminder cards for yearly oil changes. It's mid size, 5 passengers max. Average comfort for short trips. I would definitely buy this make and model car again. The dealership where we bought the car has been very good about servicing our car. They have made a change we don't particularly care for, you no longer can call to make an appointment for getting service for your car when it needs servicing, you just go to the dealership on a first come first serve basis. They will give you a ride when you drop your car off, but there are no loaner cars.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

For me the most important part of an economy car is the reliability factor. This car has never let me down, it has always started, never quit running, ever. Low maintenance, very low cost, great gas mileage. Replacement parts, headlights, brakes, etc., cheaper than most cars, this can be a big money saver. Sentras are a good ride, quiet and handles well and is excellent in the snow. Overall, Sentra should be rated among the best of any compacts on the market.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have a 2017 Sentra S 6 speed manual transmission. The manual transmission offers greater acceleration than the CVT. I love this car. It is fun to drive, handles well, and is extremely comfortable. I get from 31 to 38 mph, depending upon conditions. The Sentra has the most interior room in its class. This car has a huge trunk. The only down side is the car is slightly underpowered. When the weather turns cold, the tire monitor alarms.. Replacing the cabin air filter is expensive and not a DYI project.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

PSA-Never purchase a vehicle from Nissan Motor Corp. My CVT transmission on my 2014 Sentra (77,000 miles) went in April which was over $4500. Thankfully I was at a light on the exit ramp when it just stopped working. At the time it was out of warranty, so I contacted them because there were known issues and class action suits for 2013-2017. They claimed my vehicle wasn’t part of it. They “generously“ agreed to a 70/30 split In good faith for a known issue. Last week I get a notice that they are extending my warranty to 7 years/84,0000. I call to ask to be reimbursed since they we were at fault and their response is “I would have had to submit a claim within 30 days of the repair”. How can I do that when they waited until the end of July to notify me of the extension?? Nissan North America

Original review: June 10, 2020

Do not buy a Nissan! Their cars are built with bad transmissions. They will not own up to their mistake and fix the problem. I have a 2013 Nissan Sentra with 67,000 miles on it. I have not been able to drive my car for 6 months. I'm constantly being told to just drive it locally. I didn't buy my car to just drive it locally. I also still owe $2800 on my loan! They refuse to put me in with the class action lawsuit which would extend the warranty because it was settled on January 31st and I brought my car in on February 27th. My car is not safe to drive on the road but because no codes are popping up their is nothing I can do about it. This company does not care about their customers. They do not take safety into consideration at all. Please do not trust them with your life or your money.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I bought a brand new Nissan Sentra in 2017. A few months after purchasing The dashboard came undone and was banging against the window which caused an annoying noise. I took it in. They had it for about 2 weeks, They called to pick up the vehicle. When I got there I was very upset because they had put a hole in my dashboard while trying to fix it and tried giving it back to me like that. I called corporate and the service manager. They had me go in and have them order a new dashboard. Then my weather strips began to fall off the vehicle. My L shaped Bracket broke and my interior console panel just fell off. I took my vehicle in and they fixed the weather strips and put new brackets to hold the console panel. Months went by without any problems. Then in all 2019 the Ipac Service department had made me aware my in cabin micro filter needed to be replaced. I finally had the money to get it taken care of.

I left the car to get serviced and they called me to let me know my brake fluid needed to be flushed and replaced. I told them that was impossible because I had just taken it that morning to another service place to have that done because it was cheaper there. I then asked them to check again. She calls me back and states now, "You're right. The fluid is good," after quoting me a price and trying to make me get the service done AGAIN. They call to pick up my car and the service adviser tells me there was not a filter in my car and the cap for the filter was missing so either there was never one in car or 6 months ago when I brought it in last time they forgot to put it back in. I was so outraged I reached out to Nissan consumer affairs and they were unhelpful with the whole process and inconsiderate of the time I had to take off to take my car back and forth.

A week after complaining to corporate I got a call to come in to dealership and discuss my problems I then began to hear the noise again coming from the dashboard. It sounded louder than the last time and I noticed my weather strips again were coming off the door so I took the car in. Spoke with the manager and he began working on car. They call me to pick up vehicle after about a week saying they needed to order dash pad because the car did not stop making the noise. A couple weeks later they call that the part came in. They had my car for about a week and a half. When picking up my car I notice there a gash in my dashboard again and a dent and paint transference on my car. I was very upset. Spoke with the manager again. Said he would have the dash replaced again and the dent and scratch repaired.

I finally pick up the car thinking yay finally I'm all done with this place. When picking up my car and leaving the dealership right before it closed I drove off and my steering wheel was so far off alignment. My steering wheel was upside down and my steering wheel was so scratched and had deep scratches along the base of steering wheel. The dealership had just closed so I took it to Firestone to at least have the alignment fixed and the guy at Firestone was so mad about the fact my steering wheel was that bad considering I just had it aligned there 3 weeks ago to the date. I called corporate again and took pictures. Took the car back to Nissan and they replaced the steering wheel covers and emblem due to damage. I now have my car back and so far so good. My warranty is about to expire at the end of this month and I will never take it back here again or buy another Nissan! I would give it 0 stars if I could.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

A very calm and pleasant woman enters the Nissan dealership with her 2013 Nissan Sentra. "What brings you in today?" Asks the lovely woman behind the desk. "Well, I was informed by two different mechanics that I am in need of a new transmission," I said. "You can understand my frustration with this as I still have 14 months left on my loan," I continued. "Let me put you into the system," she replied. She then whispers "and then I'll tell you what you need to do." She then proceeded to explain the hoops I would need to go through to fix what I did not break.

An hour later.. I am approached by the same wonderful woman. "I am so sorry Maureen but a code did not come up for your transmission. So, even though you have proof that this is the problem, you will have to wait for it to break down," she said. On the verge of tears I replied, "So what you are saying is.. I need to wait until I'm stranded on the side of the road, potentially causing a serious accident, before you will fix the faulty part that came with my car?" "Unfortunately, yes" she said. "Super!" I said sarcastically.

I need to say thank you to the amazing employees at the dealership for hearing me and understanding that this is a bigger problem than just me. To the suits that own this company. You have limited my choices to.. paying thousands of dollars for a new transmission, getting behind the wheel everyday terrified I won't make it to my destination, or continue to pay for a car that just sits stagnant in a parking spot. You have made a vehicle that is of poor quality and not worth the money you are expecting people to pay. This car is unsafe for the road but, you already know that. I just pray that I am capable enough to handle the clearly inevitable mechanical issues that will undoubtedly happen as I continue to drive this car. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Remember my name. You will be seeing it again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Last year, the CVT transmission on my 2014 Nissan Sentra completely failed after approx 65,000 miles. Nissan agreed to replace it free of charges. Now less than a year later, after another 12,500 miles the second transmission failed again and needs to be replaced. However, since I am 500 mile over the parts warranty Nissan refuses to cover the replacement. This car has less than 80,000 miles and has gone through 2 transmissions, and this is the support they offer. I will never own another Nissan and would recommend them to no one. Now I'm stuck with a broken car, a replacement needed that will cost more than the car is worth, and still owe the bank on it, because it's financed. Unreal. Thanks Nissan. Never again.

Nissan Sentra Company Information