Nissan Sentra

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a brand new 2015 Nissan Sentra in November 2015. It had 25 miles on it. Recently the RPMs began to jump when driving uphill between 60 and 70 mph and on a couple occasions they would jump while driving down a hill. While that is happening the car jerks almost like the transmission is slipping.

So, I bought this car less than 3 yrs ago, traded in a sucky Versa. Loved this car, the gas mileage number 1, no pickup or great looks, just a fuel efficient basic car. I'm way upside down in it. 52,121 miles, 52102 of them my miles - the transmission shot. Nissan replaced it, 8000 miles left on warranty. The car shifts major hard now, it definitely not a smooth shifter... I'm not going to plop down a grand or more for an extended warranty at this point, simply because I really can't afford it. So now it's just playing Russian Roulette on the time it fails again and or other issues arise. I planned to ride this car off into the sunset, the last new vehicle purchased -- which it will still be -- but probably not serviceable for me to drive in my retirement years (7 or 8 years from now).

I'm gonna have to find me a reliable bucket (used car/small truck) to share with my teenage son, he thinking it's all his and I knowing it's my backup vehicle for when my Sentra pulls another transmission hamstring! I thought Nissans were reliable. The sales person knew he had another sucker on the line, the day I walked on the lot. Ironically, as I drove to pick up car yesterday I saw the salesmen gathered out front waiting to pounce... Man I loved my car, now I feel like she's cheating on me... Don't feel confident or safe anymore, my CA to TX trip just became expensive (renting a car/Insurance as opposed to driving my baby). Sad day in Sacramento.

I purchased my 2015 Nissan Sentra on October of 2015 with 11 miles. I took car for 1st complaint with car jerking and accelerating when coming to a complete stop and you can see the rpm going up as it happens. The guy in the front desk at service told me to wait until I do my 1st oil change and get used to my car, so I left the dealership tell myself, he is right. 3 months later, at 4500 miles, took it in for the same problem, after 6 more time for the same problem but this time, car feels like is being force to go, rpm will go up like I'm stepping on the gas but car is moving slow, hearing a knock noise when impressed on the breaks, I went on a drive with a mechanic, the only thing he felt was the acceleration when coming to a stop, he said that is normal and the car feeling like is feeling force is normal too, how can a car feel normal when it only does it once in a while...

Had to get another car for the wife as an emergency vehicle but I don't feel safe driving the Sentra, but take it to work when wife has to do things. On March 29th, 2017 as I was reversing into my driveway in sport mode, car accelerate and good thing I was going straight if not I would of hit the neighbor's gate... When I take it to the dealership, it doesn't read any codes because for them this problem is normal so it won't read anything. Call the BBB auto line and make a report people.

I purchased a 2013 Sentra with 18k miles from the dealer. Just shy of the warranty expiration the transmission failed and was replaced under the warranty. It's now 9 months later and again just shy of the warranty on the new transmission and again it has failed. The car went to the dealer today. I must say the dealership has been extremely caring and helpful. I'm concerned with a failed transmission twice in such a short amount of time. After reading all the complaints and comments on the Sentra's I feel somewhat relieved as I thought it was just a bad car. Now I know otherwise. I'll get this repaired, under the warranty and look into trading it for something else. This is my third Sentra and I had a transmission fail on one of them but that was after 5 years and 20 years ago and got rid of the car. Overall I loved the car and had no other issues. I hope this review, as the others, helps someone else out.

As I drive over 60 mpg I would hit cruise control and I would feel the intermittent vibration and the little constant pulling at a certain speed. And when I just take off my car would jerk. I noticed when it's only 20 degrees outside. My transmission would hardly upshift as it only was stuck on the 1st gear.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

2013 Nissan Sentra with 111000 miles had sudden and unsuspected catastrophic transmission failure on a major highway which created a dangerous situation. Transmission was not covered as Nissan stated, "The miles were above warranty." The history of failed CVT was ignored, and a Nissan representative said, "All CVT issues were addressed and are a reliable product." Will never buy another Nissan and urge all consumers to avoid Nissan.

Bought this car with 38,000 miles, at 47,000 lost power due to transmission overheats. Nissan refused to fix, at 66,000 lost power again. I know the cvt tranny was bad because I connected a scanner. Returned the car to them, paying repairs defeats the purpose to be on car payments. Nissan sold the car way too cheap and now wants me to pay the balance. I was afraid to take long drives on this car. I just bought a '97 Acura TL with 180,000 miles. It performs waaayyyy better, super reliable.

My husband purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra in March 2014. Now the transmission is gone. Car just under three years old and unless we spend over $3,00.00 to get it fixed we have to finish paying for a car that nobody can use. We purchased. It's hard to find companies that will not try to stick you for something.

So upset. My boyfriend bought a new 2015 Nissan Sentra in 2014. He drives a lot for work and we thought this would be a great car. Until we started hearing noise and the car started to jerk a lot. We bought the car in San Diego, CA and move to Austin, TX. We towed it behind the moving van. We had decided to take it to the dealer in Round Rock. They told us the transmission had to be replaced. It would cost $4500. What the hell!!! It was over warranty by 10,000 miles. Seriously! We don't have that kind of money. And reading about the issues that Nissan has had with the CVT, you would expect them to replace it for free. I also read that Nissan had extended the warranty on 2012 or older models. Why not all years? Oh that's right, apparently they fixed the problem. Well they didn't. If we can't get them to cover this repair, we are going to walk away from the car and give it back. We really don't care!

I purchased a brand new Nissan Sentra 4 miles off the lot. I purchased the extra reparations plan. The automatic transmission showed problems right away with shifting. The dealership kept telling me the transmission was fine. That same transmission problem Albuquerque, NM lied about has completely broken and a 3014 Nissan Sentra left me walking with my 7 disabled son. I will never buy Nissan brand again. I can't believe they have their mechanics lie for them. Nissan if you care about your reputation at all I digest a recall because I am going the media.

I bought my 2014 Nissan Sentra in December 2015. My car started jerking and wouldn't pull the RPM are high. I didn't have any warning signs or no lights came on. Yes, I also owe a lot of money on this car just like a lot of others that are also having this issue. A class action lawsuit against Nissan is what is needed here for all of us. I use this car for work. So now what am I going to do?... THEY NEED TO DO A RECALL ON THE TRANSMISSION LIKE yesterday.

My transmission needs to be replaced at 63,000 miles, just 3,000 miles out of warranty. Nissan offered to cover half but this forces me to keep driving a car that I don't feel safe in. I've already spent $12k+ in the three years I've had the car and the new transmission adds $2k. I still owe $11k, and the trade-in value is only $6k because everyone knows about the transmission issues. That means when I get it fixed (which seems to be my only option) I will have paid $16,000 on a car that will leave me in an addition $4,000 in debt just to get rid of it. $20,000 just to drive a Nissan Sentra for three years. This whole situation seems horribly unfair and unsafe. I used to be a hardcore advocate of Nissans. Now I want to tell everyone I meet to avoid them at all costs.

2016 Nissan Sentra - I bought my car new in Aug 2016 and since my purchase it makes noises all the time. I've recorded 1 particular noise and the dealership service team can't detect why it's making that noise. I've turned off the warning alerts and that doesn't seem to be it. If I drive 70 mi an hour or higher it makes that noise. I drove out of town and it made them noise the whole time! No matter the time of day or weather it makes an unusual beeping or humming noise. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, the sides across the top. I do not know what else to do. I can't stand hearing this noise especially on a new car!

I bought brand new Nissan Sentra 2014 from a dealer. I drove hardly 20k miles in 3 years and now I am facing problem with engine transmission. It's just giving 18 miles an hr. It's totally horrible and when I called nearby dealer, they didn't respond and asked me to schedule regular maintenance service appointment which is available only after 1 month. I guess, I should have bought Toyota or Honda instead of Nissan car. This is the worst car.

My husband drives over 100 miles per day for work, so when purchasing a car for him 3 years ago, we went with what we had always thought to be a dependable car... a Nissan Sentra (2013). Little did I know, 3 years later, we would need to replace the transmission. We have been quoted $4,000 by the dealership to replace a transmission in a vehicle that is barely 3 years old but of course out of warranty. Seeing all of these reviews, I am absolutely furious. Nissan needs to do the right thing and recall these transmissions!

I am extremely disappointed in my Nissan Sentra. I bought this new with only 9 miles on it and at 16k miles my car broke down in the desert heading from California to Arizona labor day weekend. I eventually made it to Arizona and had to leave my car there a week to get the transmission replaced. My car has stalled recently with the battery needing to be replaced and the throttle body and gasket adapter failed. I now have 40k and I made a complaint with Nissan USA. They offered me $2k and to keep my car but I am scared driving this car with my daughter. I'm am waiting for Nissan to let me know if they will repurchase my car or replace... so we shall see but I do not want a Sentra ever again.

I purchased a "certified" 2012 Nissan Sentra in November 2013. In December 2015 my muffler was rusted and broke off. It wasn't covered under warranty so there goes $353.00. So here we are in December 2016 and my catalytic converter is out. Hopefully is covered under warranty but just another headache of owning a Nissan. I will never buy another Nissan. I should've stuck with Toyota. I previously owned a Certified Toyota Corolla and NEVER had any issues with it. Can't say the same for Nissan and I've only had the car for 3 years. NEVER AGAIN NISSAN!!!

Very unhappy, car performance is very poor... Purchased my vehicle Dec. 2014, been having issues with the transmission already, dealer now claims that is something to do with the TCM? This is ridiculous... Very unhappy...

I am disgusted. I will NEVER buy Nissan again. Reliable... Ha! I have 2013 Sentra, so yes only 3 yrs old, that just had a transmission replaced in Oct and just found out it failed again and Nissan corp sent a faulty replacement and it's being replaced for the 2x. UNHEARD OF. The dealer is useless, the service dept. is horrendous, no customer service at all. I just got a nasty call from Jose the supposed mgr in service but I was asking for a simple apology, even though he didn't assemble the car himself, sorry for the inconvenience. I got nothing but a NASTY attitude from him. I complained the Cust Serv Mgr and she never called me and he told me that she got my VM but told her "not to bother calling me back because he handled it". Shame on them both.

I told him I had a problem with his attitude and he said it is the service dept. They see these issues every day and that’s why there are warranties in place that he covered rental so not sure what else I want. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Start with an apology. The car is new and was 20k not free and I paid extra for the warranty so please do not act like you are doing me some kind of favor - NO ONE is doing me any favors. My money bought the car, Nissan did not gift me with it. I will tell everyone I know to never buy NISSAN and NEVER EVER step foot in Napoli in Milford. They should not be able to sell your cars. They have no people/customer service skills and should be shut down. I have NEVER EVER been treated so poorly in my life for something I spent my hard earned money on was not gifted to me or cheap by any means. MORTIFIED, HORRIFIED AND DISGUSTED.

I am shaking as I write this complaint. I have never been treated so poorly and cannot wrap my head around how this Jose character is in a position of mgmt. This car is only 3 1/2 yrs and no one can give me an explanation. All I asked was can someone please help me understand how a part that was JUST replaced has now failed again and no one can give me an answer. All they said is "it was not our fault, or anything we did wrong". Great but how does that answer my question. IT DOESN'T... The worst decision and mistake I ever made was buying this car. Bad enough I brought the car in weeks ago and they hooked it up and said nothing was wrong and sent me on my way and then the following weekend, my car stalled on the NJ turnpike and I almost got into a bad accident.

I brought the car back in and they “supposedly fixed it” and now it has freaking failed again. Now how do I know it is even the transmission or something bigger is wrong and the dealer doesn’t crap if I drop dead in a car accident but I have many people who would be affected by it. For all I know the dealer did something to car, I bought new to not have any issues for at least 5 yrs and the transmission has failed 2x within 60 days of each other and the car is only 3 ½. I suggest you get this issue resolved and contact me at you earliest convenience with some answers because I will not be just going away. If something happens to me in this car you're gonna have much bigger issues to deal with than an annoying customer coming in and writing emails.

Had my vehicle in for regular maintenance a few weeks ago and 800 km later, my CVT is blown and requires replacement. Accelerator stopped working in the middle of driving to work. Luckily, I was able to pull off the main freeway before the vehicle came to stop. Also lucky it was only me, and not my kids in the vehicle with me. Spoke with a rep at Nissan Canada and because my warranty is 14,000 km passed. I'm stuck holding the bill on this one. Nissan previously extended warranty on CVT's for 2003-2010 transmissions, but seem to be unwilling to admit they are still defective. Come on Nissan! Step and up and stand behind your product.

Other than a few minor issues I enjoy my car greatly. I am working with Nissan to correct some issues but believe this car will give me many years of reliability from past experience with Nissan. I traded my Altima in for a Sentra this year. I love my Sentra, it is a great car. I have had some concerns with the brake performance, they are unlike any brakes on my previous Nissans. Nissan has checked the brakes and have assured me the brakes are performing as required. Problem is the brake will go all the way to the floor and that freaks me out. Again, Nissan has assured me that the brakes are performing as they should. Hopefully I will never have an issue with braking and it is taking some getting "accustomed to" with the brakes but hope in time I will be okay with them.

I bought this car brand new on 10/31/2015. It is a Nissan Sentra S model with a CVT transmission. At 1,055 miles I started having major problems with my transmission on this car. I live in the mountains of western NC and driving this car in the mountains is bad. Many complaints to Nissan USA and the BBB auto line have done nothing at all in solving this issue. I finally heard back from Nissan and they did offer me a 7 year - 100,000 mile extended warranty on this car with bumper to bumper coverage and a zero deductible. No problem there at all. The major issue here is the performance of this car of which is very poor.

I have said this from the very start that the computer, engine and transmission are not working in unison in order to give this car the performance that it needs. A LEMON - POSSIBLE SO - BUT IT HAS TO BE PROVEN AND ONE NEEDS TO GET AN ATTORNEY TO FILE A CLAIM. Yes, I also owe a lot of money on this car just like a lot of others that are also having this issue. A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NISSAN IS WHAT IS NEEDED HERE for all of us and for the past 6 months, that too, is like pulling teeth out of a huge shark. 12,500 plus miles on this car and I don't want it anymore just like many others in this posting on this website.

I bought my 2014 Nissan Sentra in November 2014. Everything is fine. The car was good until my car started jerking and wouldn't pull. I didn't have any warning signs or no lights came on. I got it towed and hooked to a machine to find out my transmission was slipping. I called around to talk to people at shops and I was told it was too early for that. I think this is bull crap. They need to do a recall. Maybe we all can go in on a petition and have them give us our money back. This is ridiculous. I am not happy at all. This is my only transportation and it's not reliable at all.

It has been very dependable and the dealership is very supportive. I actually took my parents to buy this car and my Dad had wanted to get my Mom a new car to drive so if something happened to him she would have a car that she wouldn't have to worry about. Not too long after he got the car he passed away without ever driving the car. My Mom drove it for a while and then she ended up getting sick and she passed away as well. I ended up giving my brother and sister their monetary value of their share of the car and I love driving the Sentra. Even though it is as basic as they make a car now it's an awesome car for several reasons. It is fun to drive and it was the last car my parents owned.

My 2007 Nissan Sentra has been the best and most reliable car that I have ever owned. It gets excellent gas mileage, has never left me stranded, and has only required basic car maintenance outside of the recalled transmission that was replaced at no cost to me. I love my car so much that the next car I purchase will be another Nissan.

I purchased my Nissan Sentra in May of 2016. I needed something I could commute with and could hold 3 car seats if needed. The gas mileage has been within a mile/per gallon of the advertised efficiency and I am pleased with its performance so far. Although the Altima is technically the larger sedan I found that the Sentra was better for car seats and particularly fitting multiple car seats at once. The Altima is great for seating adults in the rear however the Sentra is a great fit for the busy pro/parent and the bench seat in the back is perfect for young kids.

This is by far the worst experience ever, I purchased my Nissan in May 2015 and in Sep 2016 my transmission went up on me. I had to get a new transmission. The dealership said and I believe I had 70,000 Miles. Went back a week later cause the same problem was going on. They told me Nissan Sentra drives like that and it's ok. Now I'm back at it again. Car been at the dealership for a week now because of the transmission again. This is crazy and as clients we shouldn't have to go through this. I'm so angry right now. All I want to do is get out of this Nissan and get another car but I can't because I owe too much on the vehicle.

Now I'm stuck with this Nissan and now after looking at all of the reviews for this vehicle they need to recall all of them. Damn Nissan Sentra 2013 for their transmission. It's so many people having problems with these Sentra. How can we make our voice be heard so they can look into it and get all of us out of these dangers vehicle and put us into something else and with a better transmission.

The transmission completely went out on our 2013 Nissan Sentra at 72,000 miles. There were no warning lights, no clues that anything was wrong, until the car just stopped going when I'd step on the gas. The repair cost was $3,800. When I called Nissan to ask if they could assist us with the repairs, since there have been so many complaints about their faulty transmissions, they said there was nothing they could do to help us. Now all I can do is keep my receipt and wait for the recall to get reimbursed. It's sad because I really liked Nissan up until this point. No more Nissans for us.

Sentra has repeated problems with start and stop/start and stop. Also, stuttering at traffic lights and when traffic stops. Early replacement of strut bearings and battery. Push to start many times will not activate. Our vehicle only has just under 17,000 miles on it and we have had it just over 2 years. Has been in and out for service continually since 12/15. Last time left it for 11 days and still having the push to start problems and the start/stop problems too. If you are considering a Sentra go online and check out all of the customer complaints first but I personally recommend that you purchase another brand.

This is my 2nd vehicle purchase through Lithia Nissan of Fresno. My first car was a Versa Nissan 2014 and let me just say this car was very uncomfortable to the max so I couldn't wait to trade it in. I finally did and I got my Nissan Sentra 2015, drove nice, so much roomier and comfy. I love my car but here it is, my car is at 21700 miles. Mind you I purchase my car with only a little over 100 miles on it. Drove it off the lot in March of 2015 and I'm having all sorts of issues from high idling way above 2 rpm and I hear a knock sound when I hit the brakes and now when I accelerate. And I also notice when I give it gas, it goes super slow. I would use Sport but it drinks up my gas and it doesn't seem to go into gear right and it wobbles when I give it gas.

I mean this is terrible to deal with when you purchase a new vehicle in which I'm still paying on. I'm on my way to Lithia right now and to give them a piece of my mind. And I'm not leaving until they figure it out either I want a refund or another vehicle. If they can fix it, I need a loaner. I'm not going to play with these people at all. I feel unsafe driving my family in a vehicle that's set to be a death trap and that's how I feel behind the wheel driving my vehicle. I also would like to express the fact that when I take my vehicle in for a oil change which I have free lifetime oil change and vehicle courtesy inspection, the service dept never seems to find anything wrong. But when I check my vehicle my coolant is low, tires never aired up right and it sometimes drives funny after I just got an oil change. This makes me think that the people who service my car don't do their job at all.

Nissan Sentra Company Profile