Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.54/5

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

383 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

I bought a brand new off the lot 2019 Sentra. It didn’t have enough gas to go on the freeway. In the streets it drove well. But when I tried to go on the freeway it didn’t have the transmission power to speed up to the speed limit of 65. The RPM would go to 7-8 in the red. It enters the freeway at 40 mph, had to go on the side of the road to slowly speed up. I took it to get service and they said that that car will always perform that way. This car is a danger to the driver. Nissan needs to recall it before someone gets killed.

Original review: June 28, 2019

2013 Nissan Sentra sr. 60k miles the CVT transmission had a total failure. My warranty covered it. My warranty is 12k miles expired and has failed again. I took the car in 4k miles before warranty expiration and told them it was failing. They tested it said nothing showed up and sent me home. I told them something was wrong and they didn't listen to me. I explained that the rpms were going crazy, it was pulling and shifting hard, and that when using cruise control on the highway flat ground the rpms were jerking around. They told me it is sensitive and that is normal and not to worry about it. I owe 8k and the car will not drive at all!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I leased a Nissan Sentra in April of 2018. Since then I have had nothing but problems. My car will randomly not start. It has been in the dealership multiple times and they cannot figure out what is wrong. I contacted Nissan and they are absolutely no help at all. They are trying to put it on me and I am stuck with an unreliable car. Do not purchase a Sentra! Nothing but problems

Original review: June 2, 2019

My 2015 Lease Nissan Sentra was turned over to the dealership on March 17, 2019. I am getting calls night and day to pay for a car that I don’t have. I have a new lease that replaced the 2015 Nissan. How can this situation be fix. It’s on my credit report as being delinquent. The car is just sitting at the dealership and no one is doing anything. I have made several calls, also the salesman have tried to get this resolved. I need help.

Original review: May 30, 2019

2013 Nissan Sentra CVT Transmission. Seems to me there are a lot of Transmission problems with these cars, so I think Nissan should recall especially if they want people to buy their product. I am having transmission problems also, and this is very costly especially when you have already spent a lot of money buying the car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Purchased my 2015 Nissan Sentra SR with less than 15,000 miles. At 20,000 the issues began with my transmission. It would slip shifting from one gear to the other, no acceleration power, and at times would lose all power. Here I am at 35,000 miles and on a second transmission and it has failed once more. Save yourself the headache, the debt and avoid at all costs!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought a 2014 Sentra in 2016, and the transmission is toast. I floored the gas and it wouldn’t move, would stay at under 1 RPM. I knew something was off when I was driving on the highway in cruise control and the RPM would go erratically from 2-3-4, then back to 2. I was hoping it would be engine coils, only few hundred to fix. Not a chance. And to add to my headache, while towing, the steering wheel didn’t lock even though key wasn’t in it so the tires moved while hooking up the car on the tow. Then we used the key to move the steering wheel back in position, and once I closed the door, the car locked itself with the key inside!!! Never happens before, usually this car locks while you are driving.

Long story short, this car has 4 years left of payments and it’s just sitting in driveway because it’s $3200 minimum to replace transmission with a used one, which the car will never be the same. Good luck trying to trade it in. Never buy a Nissan again, I’ve always been a Honda guy. But I think I’m switching to Chevy, all my friends and family use Chevy and they say it’s reliable.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I purchased a 2013 NISSAN SENTRA from a reputable dealer and I only drove the car to and from work. I had the oil changed every 3000 miles, and I started to feel the jerking and hesitation. I called my local Nissan dealer, and they said it would be 199 for a diagnostic fee. I said I wanted the transmission fluid changes, and they told me that Nissan doesn't recommend that it be changed in the closed system until 60,000 miles. I had the service manager take it for a spin, and he said it was because I hit a pothole... I then had to do the diagnostic only to find out I needed a new transmission!! At 51,000 miles!!! I was so upset, and the service manager gave me the number to corporate Nissan...

After nearly a week of runaround, and recorded conversations... they offered to pay half of the cost for a new transmission even though I was just a month out of the 5 year, 60,000 warranty, and that was their only and final offer. I have been waiting over two weeks, (with a rental they are trying to charge me $39 a day for) and I still don't have the car fixed, as the local dealer said there is only one guy that can fix this transmission... so I am getting a "fixed" transmission for $1600?

This car only has 51,000 miles on it! I am 56 years old, and never owned a car that had a transmission die at $51,000 miles! Nissan continues to sell these defective CVT cars to the poor souls, like me, that believed they were getting a reliable and affordable means of transportation to work... or school. The big shots at Nissan are laughing at us all the way to the bank... I have to wait in line with the others, and joined the class action lawsuit. I would suggest that anyone else who was harmed and burnt by Nissan do the same. NISSAN doesn't want you to get the transmission fluid changed until 60,000 miles in this closed system because your warranty will be up! AGAIN. The engineers at Nissan and the corporate big shots who can throw away these cars when they fall apart are laughing all the way to the bank.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

After returning from serving overseas in June of 2016, my family and I purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra still under warranty with approximately 20,000 miles. The intent of purchasing a "newer" vehicle with a warranty was for peace of mind under the assumption that it would last for many years to come. The Nissan Sentra was comfortable, had some nice features and had great gas mileage so we chose it over "T" brand...big mistake.

After using as a daily commuter and regular traveling something didn't seem right, the way it shifted and drove was a little off. Took it to the dealership a few times but they weren't able to pinpoint anything wrong. Lo and behold less than 10,000 miles after the warranty expired the transmission went out. Told the dealerships we had taken it in but there wasn't enough evidence or history for them to open a case. $4000 later we have a new transmission in a car we don't want anymore, but now upside down on what the car is worth (current loan $7000 plus $4000, $11000 for a car only worth $7k). Worse part is the transmission will probably go out again and we will be >$8000 past what the value of the vehicle is.

Nissan Will Not Recognize a Faulty Product. My first car was a 1986 Nissan Sentra, second car 1996 Hardbody, third 1997 Hardbody, and fourth 2005 Frontier. The 86 Sentra was great, Hardbody's no problems, 2005 Frontier transmission and timing chain issues. Seems like they are steady going downhill. Never will I buy a Nissan again. Only advice is stay away from these cars (period, end, dot).

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I financed my 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new, it only has 19k miles on it, and it's at the dealership for the 2nd time "waiting on approval from Nissan to fix it". This trans started going out at around 5k miles, just didn't realize it until I was told what the signs were. It started losing a lot of power, jerks, screeches upon accelerating, pulls, makes a loud metal clanking sound at slow speeds, only goes about 30mph up inclines, and revs up or slows way down while on freeway. DANGEROUS! The good folks at Nissan Corp are fully aware of this problem, have had several lawsuits already, and are STILL putting these faulty transmissions in their 2019s! They own this transmission manufacturing company by the way. The problem is, even if they "fix" it, it will never truly be fixed. Because they keep putting in the same faulty CVT transmission systems in them. Some people are on their 2nd to 4th transmission replacement.

My suggestion? If you're having or have had problems with this, you can check your state regarding a lemon law case. Many attorneys who specialize in this will take your case at no charge to you (even if you no longer own it). Nissan needs to be held accountable for this! As a consumer, I hope everyone going through this goes after them legally. I used to rave about Nissan's (I've owned 5), but no more! Horrible death traps that could put you, your family, and drivers on the road around you, in a potentially dangerous situation! Good luck to all.

Nissan Sentra Company Information