Nissan Sentra

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2013 Nissan Sentra transmission - I have been reading all the complaints about the Nissan Sentras, I am in the same situation at the moment, my extended coverage has expired since I have 78,000, how come there has not been a recall for this car since it's such a big problem? What are some of you are doing to solve this problem?? Please, I need your advice!!! :(

Just 3 weekends ago on Friday 05/19/17 my 2015 Sentra had trouble driving to work on the freeway. It had now what I know to be transmission problems. I couldn't accelerate well in the beginning, the car would only go 40mph while traffic was going 60-70mph. I would press on the gas, it just wouldn't gain speed. My car revved up and jerked like a stick shift. It finally gained a little speed after a minute enough to when I pressed on the gas it went about 60-65. But mid drive, I had to get over in the shoulder a few times as my car would slow down between 40-45mph and it would jerk while stalling similar to driving in Neutral and kept revving up. A few times not pressing on the gas or brake, as my car coasted it revved and jolted. I felt a heavy pull thrusting forward as if I was on a Disneyland ride. That is how I gained speed to press on the gas and accelerate it very little that it would let me.

At one point my car was almost hit by a huge truck from behind going fast while my car continually slowed down. I had to weave into the shoulder each time it stalled and decreased in speed. It drive with problems the rest of the way. Getting off the freeway was a struggle having to incline upward not being able to gain speed I had to let my car coast around the corner losing speed to about 25 not able to accelerate. I tried not to break so I would not lose speed and at least make around the corner into the parking lot of work. I immediately parked and called the dealership to report my issue. The guy Ricardo at the Nissan Chula Vista, Ca Service Center said "It sounds like it's your transmission but we would have to check it out to know for sure." I said ok and had my car towed there the next hour. They kept my car over the weekend to check it.

Next day Saturday May 20th I called the Nissan dealership to follow up and the guy told me they didn't find any issues driving it. I asked has that ever happened before where someone reports and issue with their vehicle driving the way mine did and they did not find the same experiences? Because I was not going to take that as an answer (there being nothing wrong with my car) and sweep it under the rug! I mean I could've died on the road and worse if my baby would have been in the car with me! Ricardo assured me they've heard of that before and would have to test it further but said the only thing they found is there was condensation/water in the tail light and could replace it because the car is under warranty. I asked "What about the transmission you mentioned the problem sounded relatable to? Isn't that covered under warranty to fix and replace it?"

He had already checked on it and said my vehicle is covered because my car is under 36,000 miles warranty to replace a transmission but because the diagnostics engineer didn't have any issue driving they could not replace it Per Nissan's Policy. So I had to get a rental because they said they'd had to order the parts for my replacing my tail light and came up with that being the solution to how my car would drive better (I still don't understand that?). Monday the evening of May 22nd, I returned the rental car to the dealership and got my car back (supposedly fixed). I drove it home a few short blocks away where it remained overnight. The next day Tuesday morning while on the drive to work just a few minutes in, my car acts up again in stop and go slow traffic on the freeway. While coasting my foot not on any pedals my car did the same problem thing, it revved up and thrusted me forward and glided right into the car in front.

I couldn't believe it! I was livid! "How could my car have the same problem if they fixed it by replacing the Tail Light." I question: Why wasn't my car transmission fixed? If the guy at the dealership knew exactly what I was describing as the problem and what it was directly related to. Now doing my own research after the fact, I find there are multiple reports with Nissan vehicles for transmission failure on New cars! What does it take for us as a customer to get our transmission fixed if you do everything in your power to make sure you're safe on the road and report an issue the moment it happens! I mean come on! Nissan dealership chose to negate my report because they couldn't mimic the same effects in the short time they had it to drive. That's like telling a parent your child is acting up and they respond with "but I didn't see anything" so there must not be an issue then?!

They should have kept it longer. That's a liability. They know they did me dirty sending back into their defective vehicle that could've killed me, which they refuse to fix for real because they would have to take ownership of the known issue. Nissan jeopardized my safety as well as others on the road, giving me the car back. I'm finding they just bull crap their customers around after all the other reports I've read of how they know the customer's vehicle had issues after inspecting but if their car was just a few miles over warranty they do not cover repairing it. This is like a big game they play! We didn't created the issue! You built the cars that way Nissan! With a defective transmission and give people the run around on limitations to how you decide to fix it when the problem arises! My car was under warranty! What is it going to take for someone to have the transmission recalled?!

Should I have dialed 911 to have what would've been my only evidence on recorded call while I was on the road to blast you on the news?! Does someone have to die, seriously?! I want to know! After having to go through my insurance to take care of towing my car twice, Getting the other driver's info to cover and getting me a rental. When I reported the accident the day after on May 23rd I called the dealership and spoke to the manager of Nissan Chula Vista who I tried to explain what happened to but he alluded me to contact Consumer Affairs & also assured me he would be putting in a claim for the dealership as well, to cover themselves. It is complete a shame Nissan only cares about their financial gain and reputation, turning a blind eye to all the signs and multiple reports of the same issue that by now should be a Transmission Recall!

I vowed to myself that I will follow through with my claim because I am a mom, a wife who like many others could've had a fatal outcome and may not have ever made it home to see their family. Even though my car was pretty much totaled in the front, I thank God it was not worse for me! My frustration comes out of knowing I did my due diligence. I reported the issue the moment this happened to me but I feel Nissan does not want to help. They're just buying themselves time dragging on this investigation of theirs wanting to shift blame on the driver. If that's how they're going to treat their customers who've purchased a vehicle from them when they report an issue so they don't have to take responsibility then I will let everyone I know and even if I have to stand out on the corner of a Nissan dealership with a sign and megaphone protesting the purchase of their vehicles!

I feel frauded like I'm a victim of a scam by the manufacturer and the dealership who work together when an issue is brought to their attention to cover their own **. They're willing to let people die driving around in a piece of crap than to be at fault for not fixing their problem! I've put in a Claim with Nissan Consumer Affairs on Thursday May 25th which my car has already been inspected last Friday June 2nd. I should be getting a call from the investigator soon and this whole process is about 6-8 weeks. In the end, out of all of this I never want to drive that car again! I don't. 'I am want it back or repaired to have the same thing happen.

I will never trust Nissan vehicles because of the way my experience is with all of this. I'm being given the runaround going through step after step to make it seems like it's getting somewhere and benefitting but it's just a waiting game that by the looks of it from everyone else's reports, I don't believe my life matters to them. I'm just a number of someone who was stupid enough to have bought a vehicle and made them money but not to get any resolution. I'm still looking for a lawyer to take my case. I 100% believe this should be a class action lawsuit to get the transmission recalled.

My daughter bought a brand new 2014 Nissan Sentra SR in July of 2014. We did this because we wanted a reliable car that would last to 200k miles. In December of 2014 and 8,000 miles the car was no longer driveable, RPMs racing up and dropping down and no acceleration. She called the service dept of the dealership the car was purchased from and they told her "it's because they don't like cold weather". Then why are they sold all over New England? We live near Hartford, CT. She went to a different Nissan dealer and the service manager told her that he just got out of a CVT training class and the issues she was describing were normal for CVT and she just didn't know how to drive it - they did not take it on a road test or put it in for diagnostics and turned her away.

Her boyfriend at the time was a mechanic there and he and another technician took it around the block and came back and said the transmission needed to be replaced. There were already a few other Sentras sitting in the shop that day waiting CVT transmission replacements!!! Today she is having the same problem again, check engine light is on, RPMS racing and dropping down and cannot drive it. So this replacement transmission only was good for a little over 2 years and 40K miles.

I'm complaining to Nissan Corporate. This is unacceptable. It's very lucky nothing happened to it yesterday as she was out on a major highway (I-84) and we had met up to do something and I followed her home - no problems. Then this morning with no warning - cannot be driven. This will be the 3rd transmission in less than 3 years of ownership - because they just keep replacing it with the same faulty CVT transmission.

Nissan has lost 2 future customers, she will never purchase another Nissan and I have never owned one and never will after dealing with this car. Nissan has already settled a class action suit for CVTs in Pathfinders and Infinity. They also had to upgrade warranty coverage on up to 2010 model cars due to CVT problems. They need to do a recall on all these 2011 and later Sentra models with CVT problems as this is obviously a known problem and they have done nothing to improve the design and still keep these dangerous cars on the roads all over the nation and abroad. It's only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed because I have read many online complaints involving people having issues on highways with no warning because of these transmissions. Hopefully we can all band together in some national class action lawsuit and force Nissan to pay attention and recall these vehicles.

We brought a new Sentra 2013 about 4 years ago. We have already replaced a transmission 2 years ago, and now we have to replace again. Thank goodness we have a warranty on this vehicle. After reading the reviews and complaints about the transmission failing... Nothing is being done about it! There should be a recall... Or customer who comes in with this problem, shouldn't have to pay for another transmission, and car rental! We will never buy another Nissan vehicle!

I have had this car for 18 month, and put 40,000 miles (75,000 total; 1 prev owner) on it, and now the transmission is acting irregular, and slipping. I contacted Nissan North America to file a complaint for resolution, and I'm still waiting to hear back. The car cost $13K at purchase. To repair the transmission it will be another $4.5K... if they don't address the CVT transmission issue, they should stop making. Nissan is awful. Without a free replacement I will NEVER buy a Nissan again. I wish I kept my Mazda.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Car is 2013 model and rusting on the roof and around sunroof - we've never used the sunroof. Dealer wants to charge us $570 to take off the headliner to diagnose the issue. Nissan consumer affairs called to tell me I have to pay it in order for them to proceed to tell me if they will assist with repairs. We live in California and rarely get rain. Very frustrated and still have to make monthly payments for a piece of junk. Since day one this Sentra has been. Itching but problems.

I purchased a 2013 Sentra for my son last year with only 60k miles on it. Within a month, he started noticing that the car lost power on the freeway. Even with his foot pressed all the way on the pedal, the car would only go 25 mph max. It has been giving him problems ever since. Yesterday, the CVT transmission totally went out. The dealership stated the cost of a new transmission is not covered under warranty, nor is there a recall. I've read so many reviews here and everyone is having the same problem. Why hasn't Nissan recalled this CVT transmission? The dealership wants $4500 to replace the tranny. We don't have that kind of money. So I guess we're out. I will NEVER buy another Nissan again!

I just bought a 2015 Nissan Sentra with 17,000 miles on it, like 13 days ago, and I'm very upset to report that I'm already having transmission issues. This is completely unacceptable!! This is my only car. I owe $16,000 on this brand new car. Nissan MUST do a recall and fix this. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS about it. That's not fair to me at all!!! I refuse to pay to get this fixed. I just paid $16,000 to get it. NISSAN SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!! Fix this issue immediately!!! Not to mention, the check tire gauge keeps coming on, but tires are fine. What kind of product is Nissan putting out here?? Class action lawsuit will be coming their way. I'm calling my attorney immediately.

Took daughter's new car (2015 Nissan Sentra) for service due to RPM's jumping and losing power. Service said nothing is wrong. But there are hundreds of complaints on this issue online how do they not know. This car is a lemon and still under warranty. Looking for a class action attorney to go after Nissan.

I am FURIOUS with Nissan. I have been reading all of the reviews and it seems to be the norm that if you have a 2013 or 14 Sentra your transmission will fail. It is sickening to read all of these accounts and Nissan has done NOTHING. I drive a lot with my girls playing travel softball, so me and my wife wanted to get a reliable car, so we thought Nissan. 3 years later, transmission gone, no warning.

I'm over my extended warranty, so I have to pay 3400 dollars to get a transmission fixed on a three year old car. Don't have that type of money. I was thinking maybe $1500 or so but he said $3400. "The CVT transmissions are expensive but not that good" he says. Then why does the car have them? Front end rattles, car won't gear up, it's just a nightmare. I have to scramble to try and come up with this money. I have to get to work, etc. It's just so wrong for Nissan to put a product out that is so flawed. I am so upset, something has to be done, look at all the complaints about the same thing, it's not a coincidence. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN PRODUCT AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW NOT TO. Wife and kids, on a fixed income, this hurts my pockets something terrible. NISSAN DO SOMETHING.

I purchased a brand new 2015 Nissan Sentra in November 2015. It had 25 miles on it. Recently the RPMs began to jump when driving uphill between 60 and 70 mph and on a couple occasions they would jump while driving down a hill. While that is happening the car jerks almost like the transmission is slipping.

So, I bought this car less than 3 yrs ago, traded in a sucky Versa. Loved this car, the gas mileage number 1, no pickup or great looks, just a fuel efficient basic car. I'm way upside down in it. 52,121 miles, 52102 of them my miles - the transmission shot. Nissan replaced it, 8000 miles left on warranty. The car shifts major hard now, it definitely not a smooth shifter... I'm not going to plop down a grand or more for an extended warranty at this point, simply because I really can't afford it. So now it's just playing Russian Roulette on the time it fails again and or other issues arise. I planned to ride this car off into the sunset, the last new vehicle purchased -- which it will still be -- but probably not serviceable for me to drive in my retirement years (7 or 8 years from now).

I'm gonna have to find me a reliable bucket (used car/small truck) to share with my teenage son, he thinking it's all his and I knowing it's my backup vehicle for when my Sentra pulls another transmission hamstring! I thought Nissans were reliable. The sales person knew he had another sucker on the line, the day I walked on the lot. Ironically, as I drove to pick up car yesterday I saw the salesmen gathered out front waiting to pounce... Man I loved my car, now I feel like she's cheating on me... Don't feel confident or safe anymore, my CA to TX trip just became expensive (renting a car/Insurance as opposed to driving my baby). Sad day in Sacramento.

I purchased my 2015 Nissan Sentra on October of 2015 with 11 miles. I took car for 1st complaint with car jerking and accelerating when coming to a complete stop and you can see the rpm going up as it happens. The guy in the front desk at service told me to wait until I do my 1st oil change and get used to my car, so I left the dealership tell myself, he is right. 3 months later, at 4500 miles, took it in for the same problem, after 6 more time for the same problem but this time, car feels like is being force to go, rpm will go up like I'm stepping on the gas but car is moving slow, hearing a knock noise when impressed on the breaks, I went on a drive with a mechanic, the only thing he felt was the acceleration when coming to a stop, he said that is normal and the car feeling like is feeling force is normal too, how can a car feel normal when it only does it once in a while...

Had to get another car for the wife as an emergency vehicle but I don't feel safe driving the Sentra, but take it to work when wife has to do things. On March 29th, 2017 as I was reversing into my driveway in sport mode, car accelerate and good thing I was going straight if not I would of hit the neighbor's gate... When I take it to the dealership, it doesn't read any codes because for them this problem is normal so it won't read anything. Call the BBB auto line and make a report people.

I purchased a 2013 Sentra with 18k miles from the dealer. Just shy of the warranty expiration the transmission failed and was replaced under the warranty. It's now 9 months later and again just shy of the warranty on the new transmission and again it has failed. The car went to the dealer today. I must say the dealership has been extremely caring and helpful. I'm concerned with a failed transmission twice in such a short amount of time. After reading all the complaints and comments on the Sentra's I feel somewhat relieved as I thought it was just a bad car. Now I know otherwise. I'll get this repaired, under the warranty and look into trading it for something else. This is my third Sentra and I had a transmission fail on one of them but that was after 5 years and 20 years ago and got rid of the car. Overall I loved the car and had no other issues. I hope this review, as the others, helps someone else out.

As I drive over 60 mpg I would hit cruise control and I would feel the intermittent vibration and the little constant pulling at a certain speed. And when I just take off my car would jerk. I noticed when it's only 20 degrees outside. My transmission would hardly upshift as it only was stuck on the 1st gear.

2013 Nissan Sentra with 111000 miles had sudden and unsuspected catastrophic transmission failure on a major highway which created a dangerous situation. Transmission was not covered as Nissan stated, "The miles were above warranty." The history of failed CVT was ignored, and a Nissan representative said, "All CVT issues were addressed and are a reliable product." Will never buy another Nissan and urge all consumers to avoid Nissan.

Bought this car with 38,000 miles, at 47,000 lost power due to transmission overheats. Nissan refused to fix, at 66,000 lost power again. I know the cvt tranny was bad because I connected a scanner. Returned the car to them, paying repairs defeats the purpose to be on car payments. Nissan sold the car way too cheap and now wants me to pay the balance. I was afraid to take long drives on this car. I just bought a '97 Acura TL with 180,000 miles. It performs waaayyyy better, super reliable.

My husband purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra in March 2014. Now the transmission is gone. Car just under three years old and unless we spend over $3,00.00 to get it fixed we have to finish paying for a car that nobody can use. We purchased. It's hard to find companies that will not try to stick you for something.

So upset. My boyfriend bought a new 2015 Nissan Sentra in 2014. He drives a lot for work and we thought this would be a great car. Until we started hearing noise and the car started to jerk a lot. We bought the car in San Diego, CA and move to Austin, TX. We towed it behind the moving van. We had decided to take it to the dealer in Round Rock. They told us the transmission had to be replaced. It would cost $4500. What the hell!!! It was over warranty by 10,000 miles. Seriously! We don't have that kind of money. And reading about the issues that Nissan has had with the CVT, you would expect them to replace it for free. I also read that Nissan had extended the warranty on 2012 or older models. Why not all years? Oh that's right, apparently they fixed the problem. Well they didn't. If we can't get them to cover this repair, we are going to walk away from the car and give it back. We really don't care!

I purchased a brand new Nissan Sentra 4 miles off the lot. I purchased the extra reparations plan. The automatic transmission showed problems right away with shifting. The dealership kept telling me the transmission was fine. That same transmission problem Albuquerque, NM lied about has completely broken and a 3014 Nissan Sentra left me walking with my 7 disabled son. I will never buy Nissan brand again. I can't believe they have their mechanics lie for them. Nissan if you care about your reputation at all I digest a recall because I am going the media.

I bought my 2014 Nissan Sentra in December 2015. My car started jerking and wouldn't pull the RPM are high. I didn't have any warning signs or no lights came on. Yes, I also owe a lot of money on this car just like a lot of others that are also having this issue. A class action lawsuit against Nissan is what is needed here for all of us. I use this car for work. So now what am I going to do?... THEY NEED TO DO A RECALL ON THE TRANSMISSION LIKE yesterday.

My transmission needs to be replaced at 63,000 miles, just 3,000 miles out of warranty. Nissan offered to cover half but this forces me to keep driving a car that I don't feel safe in. I've already spent $12k+ in the three years I've had the car and the new transmission adds $2k. I still owe $11k, and the trade-in value is only $6k because everyone knows about the transmission issues. That means when I get it fixed (which seems to be my only option) I will have paid $16,000 on a car that will leave me in an addition $4,000 in debt just to get rid of it. $20,000 just to drive a Nissan Sentra for three years. This whole situation seems horribly unfair and unsafe. I used to be a hardcore advocate of Nissans. Now I want to tell everyone I meet to avoid them at all costs.

2016 Nissan Sentra - I bought my car new in Aug 2016 and since my purchase it makes noises all the time. I've recorded 1 particular noise and the dealership service team can't detect why it's making that noise. I've turned off the warning alerts and that doesn't seem to be it. If I drive 70 mi an hour or higher it makes that noise. I drove out of town and it made them noise the whole time! No matter the time of day or weather it makes an unusual beeping or humming noise. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the car, the sides across the top. I do not know what else to do. I can't stand hearing this noise especially on a new car!

I bought brand new Nissan Sentra 2014 from a dealer. I drove hardly 20k miles in 3 years and now I am facing problem with engine transmission. It's just giving 18 miles an hr. It's totally horrible and when I called nearby dealer, they didn't respond and asked me to schedule regular maintenance service appointment which is available only after 1 month. I guess, I should have bought Toyota or Honda instead of Nissan car. This is the worst car.

My husband drives over 100 miles per day for work, so when purchasing a car for him 3 years ago, we went with what we had always thought to be a dependable car... a Nissan Sentra (2013). Little did I know, 3 years later, we would need to replace the transmission. We have been quoted $4,000 by the dealership to replace a transmission in a vehicle that is barely 3 years old but of course out of warranty. Seeing all of these reviews, I am absolutely furious. Nissan needs to do the right thing and recall these transmissions!

I am extremely disappointed in my Nissan Sentra. I bought this new with only 9 miles on it and at 16k miles my car broke down in the desert heading from California to Arizona labor day weekend. I eventually made it to Arizona and had to leave my car there a week to get the transmission replaced. My car has stalled recently with the battery needing to be replaced and the throttle body and gasket adapter failed. I now have 40k and I made a complaint with Nissan USA. They offered me $2k and to keep my car but I am scared driving this car with my daughter. I'm am waiting for Nissan to let me know if they will repurchase my car or replace... so we shall see but I do not want a Sentra ever again.

I purchased a "certified" 2012 Nissan Sentra in November 2013. In December 2015 my muffler was rusted and broke off. It wasn't covered under warranty so there goes $353.00. So here we are in December 2016 and my catalytic converter is out. Hopefully is covered under warranty but just another headache of owning a Nissan. I will never buy another Nissan. I should've stuck with Toyota. I previously owned a Certified Toyota Corolla and NEVER had any issues with it. Can't say the same for Nissan and I've only had the car for 3 years. NEVER AGAIN NISSAN!!!

Very unhappy, car performance is very poor... Purchased my vehicle Dec. 2014, been having issues with the transmission already, dealer now claims that is something to do with the TCM? This is ridiculous... Very unhappy...

I am disgusted. I will NEVER buy Nissan again. Reliable... Ha! I have 2013 Sentra, so yes only 3 yrs old, that just had a transmission replaced in Oct and just found out it failed again and Nissan corp sent a faulty replacement and it's being replaced for the 2x. UNHEARD OF. The dealer is useless, the service dept. is horrendous, no customer service at all. I just got a nasty call from Jose the supposed mgr in service but I was asking for a simple apology, even though he didn't assemble the car himself, sorry for the inconvenience. I got nothing but a NASTY attitude from him. I complained the Cust Serv Mgr and she never called me and he told me that she got my VM but told her "not to bother calling me back because he handled it". Shame on them both.

I told him I had a problem with his attitude and he said it is the service dept. They see these issues every day and that’s why there are warranties in place that he covered rental so not sure what else I want. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Start with an apology. The car is new and was 20k not free and I paid extra for the warranty so please do not act like you are doing me some kind of favor - NO ONE is doing me any favors. My money bought the car, Nissan did not gift me with it. I will tell everyone I know to never buy NISSAN and NEVER EVER step foot in Napoli in Milford. They should not be able to sell your cars. They have no people/customer service skills and should be shut down. I have NEVER EVER been treated so poorly in my life for something I spent my hard earned money on was not gifted to me or cheap by any means. MORTIFIED, HORRIFIED AND DISGUSTED.

I am shaking as I write this complaint. I have never been treated so poorly and cannot wrap my head around how this Jose character is in a position of mgmt. This car is only 3 1/2 yrs and no one can give me an explanation. All I asked was can someone please help me understand how a part that was JUST replaced has now failed again and no one can give me an answer. All they said is "it was not our fault, or anything we did wrong". Great but how does that answer my question. IT DOESN'T... The worst decision and mistake I ever made was buying this car. Bad enough I brought the car in weeks ago and they hooked it up and said nothing was wrong and sent me on my way and then the following weekend, my car stalled on the NJ turnpike and I almost got into a bad accident.

I brought the car back in and they “supposedly fixed it” and now it has freaking failed again. Now how do I know it is even the transmission or something bigger is wrong and the dealer doesn’t crap if I drop dead in a car accident but I have many people who would be affected by it. For all I know the dealer did something to car, I bought new to not have any issues for at least 5 yrs and the transmission has failed 2x within 60 days of each other and the car is only 3 ½. I suggest you get this issue resolved and contact me at you earliest convenience with some answers because I will not be just going away. If something happens to me in this car you're gonna have much bigger issues to deal with than an annoying customer coming in and writing emails.

Had my vehicle in for regular maintenance a few weeks ago and 800 km later, my CVT is blown and requires replacement. Accelerator stopped working in the middle of driving to work. Luckily, I was able to pull off the main freeway before the vehicle came to stop. Also lucky it was only me, and not my kids in the vehicle with me. Spoke with a rep at Nissan Canada and because my warranty is 14,000 km passed. I'm stuck holding the bill on this one. Nissan previously extended warranty on CVT's for 2003-2010 transmissions, but seem to be unwilling to admit they are still defective. Come on Nissan! Step and up and stand behind your product.

Nissan Sentra Company Profile