Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.47/5

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

377 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought a 2014 Sentra in 2016, and the transmission is toast. I floored the gas and it wouldn’t move, would stay at under 1 RPM. I knew something was off when I was driving on the highway in cruise control and the RPM would go erratically from 2-3-4, then back to 2. I was hoping it would be engine coils, only few hundred to fix. Not a chance. And to add to my headache, while towing, the steering wheel didn’t lock even though key wasn’t in it so the tires moved while hooking up the car on the tow. Then we used the key to move the steering wheel back in position, and once I closed the door, the car locked itself with the key inside!!! Never happens before, usually this car locks while you are driving.

Long story short, this car has 4 years left of payments and it’s just sitting in driveway because it’s $3200 minimum to replace transmission with a used one, which the car will never be the same. Good luck trying to trade it in. Never buy a Nissan again, I’ve always been a Honda guy. But I think I’m switching to Chevy, all my friends and family use Chevy and they say it’s reliable.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I purchased a 2013 NISSAN SENTRA from a reputable dealer and I only drove the car to and from work. I had the oil changed every 3000 miles, and I started to feel the jerking and hesitation. I called my local Nissan dealer, and they said it would be 199 for a diagnostic fee. I said I wanted the transmission fluid changes, and they told me that Nissan doesn't recommend that it be changed in the closed system until 60,000 miles. I had the service manager take it for a spin, and he said it was because I hit a pothole... I then had to do the diagnostic only to find out I needed a new transmission!! At 51,000 miles!!! I was so upset, and the service manager gave me the number to corporate Nissan...

After nearly a week of runaround, and recorded conversations... they offered to pay half of the cost for a new transmission even though I was just a month out of the 5 year, 60,000 warranty, and that was their only and final offer. I have been waiting over two weeks, (with a rental they are trying to charge me $39 a day for) and I still don't have the car fixed, as the local dealer said there is only one guy that can fix this transmission... so I am getting a "fixed" transmission for $1600?

This car only has 51,000 miles on it! I am 56 years old, and never owned a car that had a transmission die at $51,000 miles! Nissan continues to sell these defective CVT cars to the poor souls, like me, that believed they were getting a reliable and affordable means of transportation to work... or school. The big shots at Nissan are laughing at us all the way to the bank... I have to wait in line with the others, and joined the class action lawsuit. I would suggest that anyone else who was harmed and burnt by Nissan do the same. NISSAN doesn't want you to get the transmission fluid changed until 60,000 miles in this closed system because your warranty will be up! AGAIN. The engineers at Nissan and the corporate big shots who can throw away these cars when they fall apart are laughing all the way to the bank.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

After returning from serving overseas in June of 2016, my family and I purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra still under warranty with approximately 20,000 miles. The intent of purchasing a "newer" vehicle with a warranty was for peace of mind under the assumption that it would last for many years to come. The Nissan Sentra was comfortable, had some nice features and had great gas mileage so we chose it over "T" brand...big mistake.

After using as a daily commuter and regular traveling something didn't seem right, the way it shifted and drove was a little off. Took it to the dealership a few times but they weren't able to pinpoint anything wrong. Lo and behold less than 10,000 miles after the warranty expired the transmission went out. Told the dealerships we had taken it in but there wasn't enough evidence or history for them to open a case. $4000 later we have a new transmission in a car we don't want anymore, but now upside down on what the car is worth (current loan $7000 plus $4000, $11000 for a car only worth $7k). Worse part is the transmission will probably go out again and we will be >$8000 past what the value of the vehicle is.

Nissan Will Not Recognize a Faulty Product. My first car was a 1986 Nissan Sentra, second car 1996 Hardbody, third 1997 Hardbody, and fourth 2005 Frontier. The 86 Sentra was great, Hardbody's no problems, 2005 Frontier transmission and timing chain issues. Seems like they are steady going downhill. Never will I buy a Nissan again. Only advice is stay away from these cars (period, end, dot).

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I financed my 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new, it only has 19k miles on it, and it's at the dealership for the 2nd time "waiting on approval from Nissan to fix it". This trans started going out at around 5k miles, just didn't realize it until I was told what the signs were. It started losing a lot of power, jerks, screeches upon accelerating, pulls, makes a loud metal clanking sound at slow speeds, only goes about 30mph up inclines, and revs up or slows way down while on freeway. DANGEROUS! The good folks at Nissan Corp are fully aware of this problem, have had several lawsuits already, and are STILL putting these faulty transmissions in their 2019s! They own this transmission manufacturing company by the way. The problem is, even if they "fix" it, it will never truly be fixed. Because they keep putting in the same faulty CVT transmission systems in them. Some people are on their 2nd to 4th transmission replacement.

My suggestion? If you're having or have had problems with this, you can check your state regarding a lemon law case. Many attorneys who specialize in this will take your case at no charge to you (even if you no longer own it). Nissan needs to be held accountable for this! As a consumer, I hope everyone going through this goes after them legally. I used to rave about Nissan's (I've owned 5), but no more! Horrible death traps that could put you, your family, and drivers on the road around you, in a potentially dangerous situation! Good luck to all.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I recently bought a 2017 Nissan Sentra SV. Bought it used. With only 44,000 miles. At first the car ran and drove awesome. But now it's getting where the transmission starts slipping when accelerating hard-ish. And sometimes it goes into limp mode and won't go over 30mph. When driving it normal, it's got to where it will shift through all the gears, but it takes about 4 seconds for it to fully shift into overdrive. And once it does, it jerks real hard...

I took it to the dealership I got the from, they ran the codes and it shows nothing is wrong. I tried contacting Nissan corporate and told them about the issues I've been having. And they keep telling me that because the car was purchased used, the only way they can honor the warranty is if the transmission actually completely fails. Then I'll still have to pay tow fees, plus $1000 for deductible. I am extremely upset about this experience I've had. I have always known Nissan to be very reliable and stylish cars. My mom has a 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE with 300,000+ miles on it... And she drives it every day, after all this, I will not ever buy another Nissan product. Nor will I steer people towards buying a Nissan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought a used 2015 Nissan Sentra in 2017. It had high miles but bought it from a Nissan Dealership and they said the car was in great condition. Fast forward 1 year and the transmission has gone out like all the other reviews on here. Five thousand dollars is what they want to fix it. I am still paying on the car. Not sure what to do next. I feel like Nissan should stand behind their product. They refuse to help and so does the dealer. They absolutely know there is a problem with these transmissions. Class action lawsuit may be what is needed! DO NOT BUY NISSAN! It's not worth the risk of paying double what a car is worth to keep it running when it's only a few years old!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I just bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra. Total miles it has 45k. I was driving down on the highway and all of a sudden I heard a popping noise and I stepped on the gas and it wouldn't go like it wouldn't accelerate. It will go so so slow. I research online what could be it and all I found was problem with transmission.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra for my son with 20,000 ish miles on it. Around the 30,000 mile mark it had a complete transmission failure. Nissan would not do anything. They are aware that they put faulty transmissions in these cars and refuse to do anything about it. This car is my first and last Nissan. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Purchased a Nissan Sentra for my daughter as her first car. The CVT Transmission failed and it cannot be repaired. Replacement costs more than the book value of the car. Nissan will do nothing to assist us even though they know that these transmissions are problematic. Tried to post a more detailed summary but ConsumerAffairs said it doesn't meet their criteria. Everything I posted was factual. There was no profanity, threats or personal insults but CA won't post it.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I bought my car last January of this year under the name of Danny **. I'm very update when it comes to paying all of bills especially my car. So I ask my dealer if I can received my bills at my address and they agreed. At the past few months I receiving my bills and open my app to monitor my payments, but these month of June up to November I'm not receiving any of my bills so I open my app to checked my payments and unfortunately I can't open it so I make a call to NMAC to get some information about Danny and she answers I will not access my account because it was somebody's name at the account instead of me. So I called Danny and asking him about his 4 last digits and I know he was the one that updated my app at my billing address.

He doesn't want me to that I was monitoring my account. I was upset at that time. I have the right to know how much my balance is. And he told he cannot give me the last 4 digits of SSN so I an ebill through my bank so that every month I paid at my car but this 14 of Dec. they took my car. Of course I was shocked and worried because I really upset for that. Don't have an idea where it is. At the following day I make a call to NMAC so I found that following day I make a call and they told me that my was in their possession. And for the summary I send them my bank accounts stating all of bills to my car. So I send to the all of payments. And as of now I don't really heard them. And to be honest I was stressful and keep thinking about my car.

Nissan Sentra Company Information