Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
1.83/5

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

369 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Purchased a Nissan Sentra for my daughter as her first car. The CVT Transmission failed and it cannot be repaired. Replacement costs more than the book value of the car. Nissan will do nothing to assist us even though they know that these transmissions are problematic. Tried to post a more detailed summary but ConsumerAffairs said it doesn't meet their criteria. Everything I posted was factual. There was no profanity, threats or personal insults but CA won't post it.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I bought my car last January of this year under the name of Danny **. I'm very update when it comes to paying all of bills especially my car. So I ask my dealer if I can received my bills at my address and they agreed. At the past few months I receiving my bills and open my app to monitor my payments, but these month of June up to November I'm not receiving any of my bills so I open my app to checked my payments and unfortunately I can't open it so I make a call to NMAC to get some information about Danny and she answers I will not access my account because it was somebody's name at the account instead of me. So I called Danny and asking him about his 4 last digits and I know he was the one that updated my app at my billing address.

He doesn't want me to that I was monitoring my account. I was upset at that time. I have the right to know how much my balance is. And he told he cannot give me the last 4 digits of SSN so I an ebill through my bank so that every month I paid at my car but this 14 of Dec. they took my car. Of course I was shocked and worried because I really upset for that. Don't have an idea where it is. At the following day I make a call to NMAC so I found that following day I make a call and they told me that my was in their possession. And for the summary I send them my bank accounts stating all of bills to my car. So I send to the all of payments. And as of now I don't really heard them. And to be honest I was stressful and keep thinking about my car.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Our CVT transmission just let go on a 2014 Sentra SR with 89,000. We leased the car brand new and decided to purchase it after the lease because it was a great car. Bad move. The transmission started slipping, bucking and stalling the car. Towed it to the dealer. Said the cost would be $2200 to replace the valve body and a exhaust timing solenoid. If that didn't fix it, (I would have to pay $2200) it would need a new transmission which would cost about $4300. Update: The valve body was removed and the transmission is destroyed. I called Nissan Corporate but they were of no help. They said it is out of warranty. They didn't even offer to pay 50%. I have seen a lot of problems with the CVT transmission. Something needs to be done. This is our 5th new Nissan. NEVER will I buy a Nissan Vehicle.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My uncle leased a 2015 Nissan Sentra and I bought mine. Both cars started to have the CVT problem presenting about 25-30k miles. He brought his in to check on the problem and Nissan couldn't find anything wrong. Within days of them checking the car, he was stuck on a major parkway because the car couldn't get above 30mph. I just had my car looked at and Nissan once again couldn't find anything wrong. So many people have the same complaint where the car loses all power when traveling at high speeds mostly uphill and yet Nissan has done nothing to make good on this product. I would never purchase another Nissan and will strongly urge anyone I know not to as well.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have been a Nissan owner for 10 years. I first bought a 2006 Nissan Sentra in 2009. That car literally lasted me 8 years. It ran until the bitter end, and was reliable. So, when I was purchasing a newer vehicle (new to me), I went with the 2015 Nissan Sentra, in 2017. It drove incredible at first. Did a trans flush, and everything was great, up until recently. After another 30,000 miles, (mind you, I bought the vehicle at 39,000 miles), I did another transmission oil change. A week went by and I noticed while driving on the parkway, that when going up between the speed of 75-80 mph, the rpm gauge began surging, and it felt like the car was losing its power. I immediately went back to the mechanic, and had him hook it up to his computer. There was no problem.

I did a little research and learned that recent Nissan models are equipped with a CVT transmission. And apparently they are very problematic, and customers have had ongoing issues with them. I have had a transmission go on me before, and I wasn’t about to have it happen again. I contacted Nissan customer relations, and was given a case number. In order for them to analyze my case, I had to go to a Nissan dealership and get a diagnostic report. Did that, and same, no codes, no warnings, nothing. Drove it again on the parkway, still the same problem persists. Finally got in touch with Research and Development, and was told to take to another Nissan dealership for a second opinion, and that if my transmission were to go, at 74000 miles, I would be responsible.

Honestly, if you want to keep your customers, learn to treat them better. If your customer doesn’t feel safe or have a concern about your product, why are you so quick to dismiss their issue? I am currently saving money as fast as I can in order to get out of this car, and get into a different brand. I will never own another Nissan, will repel anyone from buying their car, and will talk poorly of them till the day I die. I have a job that requires me to be on call for 24 hours, what happens if my car isn’t reliable? Shame on this company, I hope they learn that when enough people are pissed about your service and product, you won’t have the customers to sell your product to. ** Nissan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I was sold a used Nissan Sentra 2011 from 2 1/2 years ago and I've been having numerous, safety issues with this vehicle. My wife and I complained about these issues before and not receiving any assistance. The vehicle jerks while driving 20 mph, cuts off when we drive in reverse and the rpms will shoot up high and drop down low without being on cruise control and no matter how hard your foot hit the gas, the car will not speed up. We are extremely disappointed... We have 3 children and my wife fear that this car will cause her to be in a terrible, deadly accident because the vehicle will rpms causes the vehicle to drive fast on its own before it shoots back down. I've already replaced a sensor for the vehicle and it didn't change anything. Year, Make, and Model: 2011 NISSAN SENTRA-4 CYL.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra with only 13k miles. Now at 74k miles I start hearing horrible noises coming from the engine, and getting a horrible jerking motion when in low gear. On my way to work this morning about to get on the highway the car just dies out of nowhere no lights or indication. Got it towed to the dealer, and like others have stated the transmission is shot! Horrible experience. Never buying a Nissan again. My 2005 Mazda 3 with 140k miles is running better than this junk Nissan Sentra.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Sentra SR CVT transmission began slipping, revving high and jerking. Extended warranty ran out 10 months prior. Dealership performed service campaign CVT Reprogramming, but Nissan Consumer Affairs required "Diagnostics" to be run. Diagnostics determined that CVT transmission was not serviceable and would require replacement. That is a $4,000 repair on a vehicle with a $4,500 trade value. Nissan "reviewed" my case and decided not to provide any help. Dealership was happy to give me $1,000 for vehicle on trade. This is a known issue and Nissan is not standing by it. They must be making a lot of money on selling new transmissions and running diagnostics on them.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

2nd Nissan my wife and I have owned in 6 years, 2nd Nissan to not reach 120000 miles and the transmission goes out, 2nd Nissan where the mechanics from Nissan all stated that Nissan transmissions are crap. 2nd time calling Nissan consumer affairs and being told there are issues with the transmission and they will do a couple of recall things but they will not help cover the cost of a new transmission. Avoid Nissan's like the plague unless you have $4000-$6000 lying around every 5 years for a new transmission.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

TIP: If your vehicle is out of warranty and your CVT transmission failed, get the car diagnosed at a dealership and complain to Nissan Consumer Affairs 1-800-647-7261. Cost about $150 for the diagnosis, but if you complain enough and they feel like helping you, could save on the repair and waive the $150. See below. Bought a used 2013 Sentra with 80,000 miles, thinking it would be a reliable car for years to come. At 105,000 miles, transmission fails right outside the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC. Shakes and shudders to a complete stop in Manhattan traffic. Dealership quoted $4,400 to replace. Don't have the money and now I don't have a car. Called Nissan consumer affairs to complain. Car's within 5 year warranty but above 60,000 mile mark so out of warranty. Complained and let them know how disappointed I was, thought Nissan was a reliable brand. I was wrong.

After 2 weeks without a car, Nissan Consumer Affairs offered to pay for 60% of my repair. That for sure helps, but it's not enough. Nissan should stand behind their brand and provide a full warranty extension as they did for Sentra's through 2010 models. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again. I'm getting this thing fixed and then I'm getting rid of it.

Nissan Sentra Company Information