Nissan Sentra

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought brand new Nissan Sentra 2014 from a dealer. I drove hardly 20k miles in 3 years and now I am facing problem with engine transmission. It's just giving 18 miles an hr. It's totally horrible and when I called nearby dealer, they didn't respond and asked me to schedule regular maintenance service appointment which is available only after 1 month. I guess, I should have bought Toyota or Honda instead of Nissan car. This is the worst car.

My husband drives over 100 miles per day for work, so when purchasing a car for him 3 years ago, we went with what we had always thought to be a dependable car... a Nissan Sentra (2013). Little did I know, 3 years later, we would need to replace the transmission. We have been quoted $4,000 by the dealership to replace a transmission in a vehicle that is barely 3 years old but of course out of warranty. Seeing all of these reviews, I am absolutely furious. Nissan needs to do the right thing and recall these transmissions!

I am extremely disappointed in my Nissan Sentra. I bought this new with only 9 miles on it and at 16k miles my car broke down in the desert heading from California to Arizona labor day weekend. I eventually made it to Arizona and had to leave my car there a week to get the transmission replaced. My car has stalled recently with the battery needing to be replaced and the throttle body and gasket adapter failed. I now have 40k and I made a complaint with Nissan USA. They offered me $2k and to keep my car but I am scared driving this car with my daughter. I'm am waiting for Nissan to let me know if they will repurchase my car or replace... so we shall see but I do not want a Sentra ever again.

I purchased a "certified" 2012 Nissan Sentra in November 2013. In December 2015 my muffler was rusted and broke off. It wasn't covered under warranty so there goes $353.00. So here we are in December 2016 and my catalytic converter is out. Hopefully is covered under warranty but just another headache of owning a Nissan. I will never buy another Nissan. I should've stuck with Toyota. I previously owned a Certified Toyota Corolla and NEVER had any issues with it. Can't say the same for Nissan and I've only had the car for 3 years. NEVER AGAIN NISSAN!!!

Very unhappy, car performance is very poor... Purchased my vehicle Dec. 2014, been having issues with the transmission already, dealer now claims that is something to do with the TCM? This is ridiculous... Very unhappy...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

I am disgusted. I will NEVER buy Nissan again. Reliable... Ha! I have 2013 Sentra, so yes only 3 yrs old, that just had a transmission replaced in Oct and just found out it failed again and Nissan corp sent a faulty replacement and it's being replaced for the 2x. UNHEARD OF. The dealer is useless, the service dept. is horrendous, no customer service at all. I just got a nasty call from Jose the supposed mgr in service but I was asking for a simple apology, even though he didn't assemble the car himself, sorry for the inconvenience. I got nothing but a NASTY attitude from him. I complained the Cust Serv Mgr and she never called me and he told me that she got my VM but told her "not to bother calling me back because he handled it". Shame on them both.

I told him I had a problem with his attitude and he said it is the service dept. They see these issues every day and that’s why there are warranties in place that he covered rental so not sure what else I want. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Start with an apology. The car is new and was 20k not free and I paid extra for the warranty so please do not act like you are doing me some kind of favor - NO ONE is doing me any favors. My money bought the car, Nissan did not gift me with it. I will tell everyone I know to never buy NISSAN and NEVER EVER step foot in Napoli in Milford. They should not be able to sell your cars. They have no people/customer service skills and should be shut down. I have NEVER EVER been treated so poorly in my life for something I spent my hard earned money on was not gifted to me or cheap by any means. MORTIFIED, HORRIFIED AND DISGUSTED.

I am shaking as I write this complaint. I have never been treated so poorly and cannot wrap my head around how this Jose character is in a position of mgmt. This car is only 3 1/2 yrs and no one can give me an explanation. All I asked was can someone please help me understand how a part that was JUST replaced has now failed again and no one can give me an answer. All they said is "it was not our fault, or anything we did wrong". Great but how does that answer my question. IT DOESN'T... The worst decision and mistake I ever made was buying this car. Bad enough I brought the car in weeks ago and they hooked it up and said nothing was wrong and sent me on my way and then the following weekend, my car stalled on the NJ turnpike and I almost got into a bad accident.

I brought the car back in and they “supposedly fixed it” and now it has freaking failed again. Now how do I know it is even the transmission or something bigger is wrong and the dealer doesn’t crap if I drop dead in a car accident but I have many people who would be affected by it. For all I know the dealer did something to car, I bought new to not have any issues for at least 5 yrs and the transmission has failed 2x within 60 days of each other and the car is only 3 ½. I suggest you get this issue resolved and contact me at you earliest convenience with some answers because I will not be just going away. If something happens to me in this car you're gonna have much bigger issues to deal with than an annoying customer coming in and writing emails.

Had my vehicle in for regular maintenance a few weeks ago and 800 km later, my CVT is blown and requires replacement. Accelerator stopped working in the middle of driving to work. Luckily, I was able to pull off the main freeway before the vehicle came to stop. Also lucky it was only me, and not my kids in the vehicle with me. Spoke with a rep at Nissan Canada and because my warranty is 14,000 km passed. I'm stuck holding the bill on this one. Nissan previously extended warranty on CVT's for 2003-2010 transmissions, but seem to be unwilling to admit they are still defective. Come on Nissan! Step and up and stand behind your product.

Other than a few minor issues I enjoy my car greatly. I am working with Nissan to correct some issues but believe this car will give me many years of reliability from past experience with Nissan. I traded my Altima in for a Sentra this year. I love my Sentra, it is a great car. I have had some concerns with the brake performance, they are unlike any brakes on my previous Nissans. Nissan has checked the brakes and have assured me the brakes are performing as required. Problem is the brake will go all the way to the floor and that freaks me out. Again, Nissan has assured me that the brakes are performing as they should. Hopefully I will never have an issue with braking and it is taking some getting "accustomed to" with the brakes but hope in time I will be okay with them.

I bought this car brand new on 10/31/2015. It is a Nissan Sentra S model with a CVT transmission. At 1,055 miles I started having major problems with my transmission on this car. I live in the mountains of western NC and driving this car in the mountains is bad. Many complaints to Nissan USA and the BBB auto line have done nothing at all in solving this issue. I finally heard back from Nissan and they did offer me a 7 year - 100,000 mile extended warranty on this car with bumper to bumper coverage and a zero deductible. No problem there at all. The major issue here is the performance of this car of which is very poor.

I have said this from the very start that the computer, engine and transmission are not working in unison in order to give this car the performance that it needs. A LEMON - POSSIBLE SO - BUT IT HAS TO BE PROVEN AND ONE NEEDS TO GET AN ATTORNEY TO FILE A CLAIM. Yes, I also owe a lot of money on this car just like a lot of others that are also having this issue. A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST NISSAN IS WHAT IS NEEDED HERE for all of us and for the past 6 months, that too, is like pulling teeth out of a huge shark. 12,500 plus miles on this car and I don't want it anymore just like many others in this posting on this website.

I bought my 2014 Nissan Sentra in November 2014. Everything is fine. The car was good until my car started jerking and wouldn't pull. I didn't have any warning signs or no lights came on. I got it towed and hooked to a machine to find out my transmission was slipping. I called around to talk to people at shops and I was told it was too early for that. I think this is bull crap. They need to do a recall. Maybe we all can go in on a petition and have them give us our money back. This is ridiculous. I am not happy at all. This is my only transportation and it's not reliable at all.

It has been very dependable and the dealership is very supportive. I actually took my parents to buy this car and my Dad had wanted to get my Mom a new car to drive so if something happened to him she would have a car that she wouldn't have to worry about. Not too long after he got the car he passed away without ever driving the car. My Mom drove it for a while and then she ended up getting sick and she passed away as well. I ended up giving my brother and sister their monetary value of their share of the car and I love driving the Sentra. Even though it is as basic as they make a car now it's an awesome car for several reasons. It is fun to drive and it was the last car my parents owned.

My 2007 Nissan Sentra has been the best and most reliable car that I have ever owned. It gets excellent gas mileage, has never left me stranded, and has only required basic car maintenance outside of the recalled transmission that was replaced at no cost to me. I love my car so much that the next car I purchase will be another Nissan.

I purchased my Nissan Sentra in May of 2016. I needed something I could commute with and could hold 3 car seats if needed. The gas mileage has been within a mile/per gallon of the advertised efficiency and I am pleased with its performance so far. Although the Altima is technically the larger sedan I found that the Sentra was better for car seats and particularly fitting multiple car seats at once. The Altima is great for seating adults in the rear however the Sentra is a great fit for the busy pro/parent and the bench seat in the back is perfect for young kids.

This is by far the worst experience ever, I purchased my Nissan in May 2015 and in Sep 2016 my transmission went up on me. I had to get a new transmission. The dealership said and I believe I had 70,000 Miles. Went back a week later cause the same problem was going on. They told me Nissan Sentra drives like that and it's ok. Now I'm back at it again. Car been at the dealership for a week now because of the transmission again. This is crazy and as clients we shouldn't have to go through this. I'm so angry right now. All I want to do is get out of this Nissan and get another car but I can't because I owe too much on the vehicle.

Now I'm stuck with this Nissan and now after looking at all of the reviews for this vehicle they need to recall all of them. Damn Nissan Sentra 2013 for their transmission. It's so many people having problems with these Sentra. How can we make our voice be heard so they can look into it and get all of us out of these dangers vehicle and put us into something else and with a better transmission.

The transmission completely went out on our 2013 Nissan Sentra at 72,000 miles. There were no warning lights, no clues that anything was wrong, until the car just stopped going when I'd step on the gas. The repair cost was $3,800. When I called Nissan to ask if they could assist us with the repairs, since there have been so many complaints about their faulty transmissions, they said there was nothing they could do to help us. Now all I can do is keep my receipt and wait for the recall to get reimbursed. It's sad because I really liked Nissan up until this point. No more Nissans for us.

Sentra has repeated problems with start and stop/start and stop. Also, stuttering at traffic lights and when traffic stops. Early replacement of strut bearings and battery. Push to start many times will not activate. Our vehicle only has just under 17,000 miles on it and we have had it just over 2 years. Has been in and out for service continually since 12/15. Last time left it for 11 days and still having the push to start problems and the start/stop problems too. If you are considering a Sentra go online and check out all of the customer complaints first but I personally recommend that you purchase another brand.

This is my 2nd vehicle purchase through Lithia Nissan of Fresno. My first car was a Versa Nissan 2014 and let me just say this car was very uncomfortable to the max so I couldn't wait to trade it in. I finally did and I got my Nissan Sentra 2015, drove nice, so much roomier and comfy. I love my car but here it is, my car is at 21700 miles. Mind you I purchase my car with only a little over 100 miles on it. Drove it off the lot in March of 2015 and I'm having all sorts of issues from high idling way above 2 rpm and I hear a knock sound when I hit the brakes and now when I accelerate. And I also notice when I give it gas, it goes super slow. I would use Sport but it drinks up my gas and it doesn't seem to go into gear right and it wobbles when I give it gas.

I mean this is terrible to deal with when you purchase a new vehicle in which I'm still paying on. I'm on my way to Lithia right now and to give them a piece of my mind. And I'm not leaving until they figure it out either I want a refund or another vehicle. If they can fix it, I need a loaner. I'm not going to play with these people at all. I feel unsafe driving my family in a vehicle that's set to be a death trap and that's how I feel behind the wheel driving my vehicle. I also would like to express the fact that when I take my vehicle in for a oil change which I have free lifetime oil change and vehicle courtesy inspection, the service dept never seems to find anything wrong. But when I check my vehicle my coolant is low, tires never aired up right and it sometimes drives funny after I just got an oil change. This makes me think that the people who service my car don't do their job at all.

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Sentra as my second vehicle. Since I already had a 2005 Nissan Titan and had not had any major problems with it, I decided to return to Nissan. Unfortunately, I have now had the car approximately 3 years and the transmission is malfunctioning and needs to be exchanged. I was referred to the Nissan Corporation by the service department representative from our local Nissan dealership, since the vehicle is still fairly new, but was told that they would not be doing anything for me because it has 92,000 miles and am over my extended warranty of 75,000 miles. Not to mention, the representative's demeanor was rude and continued to ask "what would you like for us to do for you?"

All in all, I am stuck with the bill, having been quoted over $4200 in repairs. This is very unfortunate since I have been a loyal Nissan customer and have referred many friends to Nissan. I have begun doing the opposite and steered anyone from purchasing a Nissan, not just for their poor car manufacturing and lack of quality but also for their poor customer service. I will not be returning to this manufacture and cannot wait to repair my car so I can trade it in for Subaru.

Nissan needs to do a recall! We bought our 2015 Nissan Sentra less than 6 months ago brand new and it is already at the dealership getting a new transmission after only 19k miles. This is absolutely insane! Our whole reason for buying a new vehicle was to avoid this, at least for a few years...and here we are. Thankfully it is covered under warranty, but from the looks of the other reviews this problem is likely to happen again. We are going to try to get out of this vehicles as soon as we can. DO NOT BUY A NISSAN if you want a reliable vehicle!

I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra SR where the transmission stop working. A car stalled but not before jerking while driving even in cruise control. Car had to be towed to dealership. My car just crossed the 60,000 mark which basically put the powertrain under warranty. Apparently there is a problem with temperature of the CVT fluid which makes the transmission fail when the engine is hot. This is not the first time the performance of the car has been compromised. I was told nothing was wrong before. The bigger problem so far is the once the vehicle cooled down the transmission seemed to kick in. This is a total inconvenience and Nissan needs to own some responsibility. There is an obvious issue with Nissan transmissions. Please post more issue to gain more awareness.

I bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra that currently has 26k miles. Last week I experienced the engine completely dying when I was at a stop sign at a very busy intersection. The car would come on, but as soon as I tried to put it in Reverse or Drive, it completely died. I was able to get out of the road and was required to tow the vehicle to the nearest Nissan Service Center. No lights or warnings ever came on. The tow truck driver said he'd never seen a car do something like that.

When we got to the service center the car was fine. The employee never even popped the hood. He said it looked fine and drove fine. I was frustrated after being on the side of the road but continued on my trip. What else could I do? I was 2 hours from home and 2 hours from my meeting for work. It was fine for about 250 more miles and then I really started having issues. My RPMS were bouncing and going nuts which was causing the car to jerk hard. It felt like the engine was 'catching' now and then just to keep up with me driving.

By the time I made it home I could hear parts flapping under the hood. Apparently the whole transmission is blown and it is in the shop at Nissan now. This is a 2014 model Sentra with 26k miles. Thank goodness it's under warranty, but I can't afford this to happen again when it's not. I travel a lot for work and thought I was buying a safe vehicle. After reading these reviews, I will be trading this vehicle in somewhere else after it is repaired. I don't trust the product.

We bought a 2013 Nissan Sentra and 3,000 miles over our warranty, the transmission locks up tight without any warning lights coming on to let us know there was an issue. The only warning lights that ever came on was "low washer fluid" and "low tire pressure". We were told that our transmission should've been recalled so we really had our hopes up but "Nissan Consumer Affairs" shot us down twice. I have reports from Jenkins Nissan in Brunswick, GA that said it was a transmission defect for it to lock up this tight... But still we were denied. Nissan has a defective transmission and a defective warning panel that doesn't even give us prior warning. We just had Hurricane Matthew come through here and we thought we had bad gas because the car was sputtering, but still no warning lights.

I am stating, and have proof that Nissan Sentra has a faulty transmission and I am warning everyone I know. I am requesting a RECALL!!! You have significant amount of consumer complaints and Nissan needs to make it right. Please call me ** and I will give you all proof you need. Jenkins notes state "No DCT's

stored in the transmission or engine control modules. Transmission has a torque converter failure." This transmission locked up just like the 282 other complaints on transmission failure. Nissan needs to step up and make this right. Good hardworking people are buying their product and being thrown to the wolves. We bought our car from Nalley, Brunswick, GA 31520...

My daughter bought a 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new in Nov 2015. It has 81,000 miles on it now and recently now has this jerk that is gradually getting worse. When accelerating the RPMs go above 4 and jerks a few times then which seems like it goes in gear. Every time you speed up it jerks. This is crazy, but after reading all these comments of the transmission going out, I'm afraid that's where our Sentra is heading. I don't have 3,000 dollars laying around to fix it either! I think if they see more complaints about bad transmission they will be forced to do something. The other thing I wanted to mention is that I wanted to see if the transmission need more transmission oil, but that could not be done as you have to have specific tools to open it and check it and only the dealership can check it! SOL!!!

I bought my 2013 Nissan Sentra SL in 2014 with 12,500 miles on it. I noticed over the last six months or so that the rpms were revving up to 4 or 5 at times. I use sport mode sometimes and have always noticed that it caused the car to act funny when braking in sport mode. It would rev up and then almost "release" when braking. This past month, the car started jerking when changing gears, revving more, and even lost power when I pulled out onto the road. I was pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and the car would not hardly move. It took a minute or so to start accelerating over 20 mph. Took it to the dealer, and they said it needed a transmission control module update for $98.

I did that, and the revving seemed to get worse. Two days of driving it, and the car lost power again and would not accelerate. It kicked in, and I went straight to the dealership. It was Thursday, and they made an appointment for the following Monday. By the time I dropped the car off, it was jerking hard when going from reverse to drive. They called me later to say I needed a new transmission. The car is 3 years old with 84,000 miles on it. Thankfully I have an extended warranty, and they just approved the replacement. I did some research, and it seems that a lot of people have trouble with the CVT transmission. Nissan really should do a recall. I hope this car will last until I have paid it off so I can run to trade it.

I purchased my 2012 Nissan Sentra in late 2013 and now I'm sitting in the Nissan dealer in Iris Dr in Conyers Ga being told my transmission is shot. Nissan HOW do you explain a 3 year old car with 120k miles transmission dying on the side of the road? I want my car fixed. As a disabled person in Ga I need my car. This is UNFAIR to your customers. With all the NISSAN transmission complaints why is there no RECALL?

I recently purchased a 2014 Sentra SV from the Balboa CarMax with 40,000 miles. It now has 44,000 and I too am experiencing the same transmission issue. Like really! I've had the car for less than a month. I haven't even received my DMV information! I'm taking it into the dealership today because I too was pressured into buying this vehicle and was assured that it was a very reliable good car and no open recalls were on it. I should have opened Google right then and looked up issues on my phone to verify for myself. But I'm a trusting person and went ahead with purchasing the vehicle.

I didn't buy an extended warranty and it's just out of manufacturer warranty. Hopefully they will take the time frame into consideration and let me get a comparable vehicle that isn't a Nissan??? If not I guess I'm with the masses just sitting and waiting for someone to die in a tragic incident instead of just recalling their death traps before something happens. Let's prevent a tragedy please Nissan!

I bought a brand new 2013 Nissan Sentra with 25 miles. I've had this car for 3 years with 71,000 miles and now the transmission is hard shifting, sometime no shifting, racing, hesitation when accelerating. Took it to Nissan dealership and now they are telling me the transmission needs replacing at my expense ($3,200.00). Nissan should totally be responsible for this repair. I've never heard of a 3 year old car needing a new transmission.

Well I bought my 2015 Nissan Sentra in Jan 2016 brand new and ever since I got it it has been giving me problems. First the transmission started acting weird like it would start idling at stop lights so West Covina Nissan where I purchased it at fixed it. Then it happened again. They didn't fix it, they said it was normal. I could keep going with the problems I've been having with my Sentra but it's too much to type. lol. I just don't recommend no one to buy a Nissan... seriously???

Purchased the 2015 Sentra in April of 2015. Right off the bat started having problems with RPMs and losing power on steep hill climbing. Once you start the climb and then slow down and accelerate again the RPMs start bouncing from 2 to 4 and the car loses power and it takes a while to get back up to speed again. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the problem sooo... just like everyone else I am getting nowhere with the dealership and am afraid I will be in the same boat as all the other reviews with a no care and no fix attitude. It now has 36000 miles on it and I do have an extended warranty to 100000 miles, but what is the point if they replace it with the same crappy transmission it originally had. I don't know!!!

I didn't like the high pressure sales pitch when I went in in the first place. No wonder - they knew they had to cause they were selling a crappy product and if I left w/o buying I might just go home and review it and never come back! I had a Corolla for 165000 miles and finally sold it cause of the transmission but it still started and ran like a trooper. I now wish I had spent the 2k to replace it and kept it. Never again will I sway from a Toyota. Don't know what is going to happen now with this new car??? Probably just sell it, take the loss and be done with cause it sure looks like neither Nissan or Consumer Affairs will do nothing about it!

It was purchased thru Metro Nissan in Montclair, CA. You can verify the purchase by using my name and calling the dealership. So sad because it is a nice car and rides nice. I think I will look into the Lemon Law. I hate getting ripped off! Hopefully something will come along and make Nissan accountable. Hopefully not a death!

I bought my 2012 Nissan Sentra in 2013 with 8,000 miles on it. Now 3 years later, February 2016, i have had my fuse block replaced at NIssan. And now I have been told that I have thrown a rod, engine blown, and that it was catastrophic failure. How can this be? I have had regular oil changes and my most recent one was only 3 weeks ago. I had no warning, no noise, no warning lights. Last Monday, I was driving on the highway 9 p.m. by myself when all of a sudden my car RPM shot up, my engine started losing power, then I heard a weird "puff, puff, puff" noise and I barely made it off the highway before the radiator started spewing, and then I felt a big thud in the front of my car. I was sitting along the highway, at night with semi-trucks and cars flying by. I only had my hazard lights. I was scared and angry, sitting by the highway hating Nissan for making such a piece of junk.

I see so many complaints about Nissan Sentra transmissions and engines. What the hell is going on and why hasn't NIssan done anything about all of these failures? We are all being put in danger. I now wish I would have never bought this car. NIssan made a bunch of crappy cars and will not own up to it. I will never buy NIssan ever again. Please Consumer Affairs, do something to make this right.

Nissan Sentra Company Profile