2.01/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

354 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

My grandparents purchased me a 2013 Nissan Sentra as my first vehicle. Sadly at 81k the transmission went out. Unfortunately it is no longer covered under warranty. Based on reviews this is not the vehicle to buy considering the lowest quote I received to replace it was $2700.00. Please please if you are in the market for a vehicle DO NOT PURCHASE Nissan!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This Nissan Sentra is very old and a piece of garbage. Like 2001-ish old. Very sun-damaged. Kinda scratched up. My parents bought it back when I was 17 years old and still learning to drive a car. I had recently gotten my permit and enrolled in driving classes. Bought in case I wreck it so my parents don't have me destroy a new car. Service Engine light goes on and off randomly. Fan belt screeches in the morning. Headlights too dim. Horn sometimes doesn't work. It's small and I'm small so that's good. But I still can barely see over the steering wheel and it's a pain in the butt.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: June 17, 2018

I love Nissan Sentra, it's a great buy and I've never had problems with it. It is easy to drive. It isn't too big or too small. I get great gas mileage. I can easily do things to it myself like wash, change the oil, check the tires. Furthermore, I like that when I take the key out of the ignition I can still roll up or down the windows as long as none of the doors have been opened. However, the oil light is the only thing I have a problem with. Make the oil change light easier to reset. When I take it to have the oil changed the people there never reset it and I can't get it to reset either. It's a pain to always see that light on when I know I take care of my car.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My old car was a 2000 Honda. It still had a pretty decent trade in value since I only had 80k miles on it but it started honking randomly so I had to get a new car. I have had Nissan for 3 years now and have had no issues with it. I like the Bluetooth and the seats are comfortable. I also like the keyless engine start and that's also a downfall because once the key fob is out of batteries, you need to replace it. One more thing that could make your day go from average to awful and imagine not being able to start the car because of the key fob running out of battery. There should still be a place to insert the physical key to start in case of emergencies. I don't like that the car has too many buttons. Some of them I still don't know how to use and I couldn't figure out how to see the time without reading the manual.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Love it. This model came with cruise control which I would need when I moved 400 miles away for school. There is eco boost, volume controls on the wheel. There is the ability to track gas mileage, your current speed, and miles remaining within the tank on the dash. All controls are easily accessible and it is comfortable to drive! The 4 cylinder motor is a little slow on the get go but once it's up there it's fine. Mileage is fantastic, brakes aren't too touchy and it comes with many options for upgrades. But I wish it came with satellite radio and a screen navigation because of where I live now. I also wish the back seat folded up differently for larger dogs and that there was an option for an internal vacuum system. But the Nissan Sentra is a great beginner vehicle and would last into early stages of starting a family. Safety ratings were great, as of yet (4 years) this model hasn't needed any recalls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: June 14, 2018

I really liked my Nissan Sentra. It was great on gas and required very low maintenance. I drove that car everywhere on hardly any gasoline! It was a four door car, it was nice looking, and had a great stereo in it! It was very easy to drive, and handled the road like a race car! But I would maybe have changed the seats, they weren't that comfortable on road trips! Other than that, I would gladly buy a Nissan for my next car!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had a pleasant experience with Nissan. Bought Sentra used and no major fixes have been necessary. It has a wonderful interior that is extremely practical for my needs. This car also has a great trunk and storage area with the ability to flip down the back seats. It is a good durable vehicle and the look of it is nice. Furthermore, it sips gas: wonderful mileage. It drives and rides extremely smooth. I feel very safe when I am in this car. While I would definitely recommend it to a family member and feel good in doing so, I would make it four wheel drive which would be hard to do for a car. I also would like to see nit picky things such as heat warmers and a better convection air system. The heat and air conditioning do not reach the back of the car very well.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The Nissan Sentra is very reliable and safe. I've had mine for up around 5 years used and it's never even gotten close to breaking down. It's comfortable to ride in, especially on long road trips, and gets great gas mileage. I've traveled long distance several times and there was almost no need to refuel during the trip. I enjoy how I can travel over 100 miles on the highway and only have to get gas when I'm done. I also enjoy the seating. I feel very comfortable and confident driving this car. However, the gear shift is a bit 'slippery'. When I shift gears it goes past the one I want and it takes a couple tries to get the right gear when it goes right past 'drive' to 'reverse', etc.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I bought a new 2008 Sentra and it has been incredible. No major expenses until last year and normal wear and tear for 170k miles. A/C compressor and motor mounts. I had been incredibly satisfied with this car. So much so, that I bought a second one at 96k miles for my new driver daughter. Both cars, just this past month, have begun doing the engine revving and no acceleration. Letting off the gas, then hitting it again seems to work in all instances - thus far. However, from what I read in other posts, this will be temporary and eventually, it won't shift at all.

I have had great luck with my first one but I also changed the fluid and maintained it regularly. The second car I acquired at 96k miles had not been serviced but I did so at the time. Perhaps following the service manual helped but in all, at now 176k miles on my original car, I've been pleased with the reliability and quality of the car. Low maintenance expenses and great reliability for the past 10 years is great and I'd have spent way more than 4k on the repairs of a domestic car. Maybe Honda or Toyota would be better, but they also cost more.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Son purchased a used 2014 Sentra with 101,000 miles, based on my advice from experience with older Nissans. At 121,000 miles the CVT transmission went out. 1k passed the warranty that Nissan had extended because of all the issues with the CVT transmissions. The Nissan brand is no longer a brand of quality and reliability.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra back in June 2017. Transmission was replaced under warranty. On May 21 2018 while I was driving on freeway notice my car was losing power, and took it to the nearest Nissan Dealer. May 22nd received a call stating I needed a new transmission again that they were going to submit approval to Nissan corp. Nissan declined new transmission and had them reprogram and added transmission fluid.

Called Consumer affairs and made a claim on car. Same issue is occurring over and over. Nissan Sentra are not Safe!!! Picked up car around 4:05pm and was driving it on 57 freeway a couple of miles and again same issue, I was almost going to get hit by a car 2 times!!! I was able to pull to side of freeway and called dealer. Tow truck was sent. Today May 23rd received message stating Nissan gave them another number for them to submit a claim for us to get a new transmission. Still waiting on a outcome.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I purchased my Nissan Sentra 2014 SV (used and mileage was 82,869. I drove this car for 5 months and now the transmission is out, no good. I took it to three places with the first being Sutherlin Nissan in Holly Springs Ga. All three service mechanics told me it was the CVT transmission and now I need a new transmission. The cost of the transmission is anywhere from 3, 000 to 5, 000 dollars that I don't have. The warranty on the transmission has expired and there is nothing that Nissan or Drive Time is willing to do at this time. My transmission is gone and I drive for a living - so not only has this affected me emotionally but financially. I am now seeking legal consultation to see what my next move will be. I have this on my plate and still they are looking for a car payment soon. This is crazy!

Original review: May 14, 2018

This Nissan sentra 2013 FE+S is junk. I bought it brand new and I just finished paying it off. I noticed a few months ago strange sounds and slips from the transmission. Today I completely lost power while driving and was almost hit. The transmission just stopped working for like 10 seconds, then kicked back in. Nissan is garbage and I will never buy one again. From the looks of it no one is having luck with replacements. I drive a lot for work and now I’m going to be forced to pay another 4 grand for another garbage CVT, or I’m going to buy another car.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Nissan Sentra looks good but shakes, rattles and rumbles, uncomfortable to sit in, mediocre mileage and poor trade-in value. Also did not like the dealership. Not a good buy and would not buy again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Nissan Sentra is a city car and had it for 3-years. Mileage is good and it rides like a city car but has been good on the open road. Other than the standard maintenance routine, the only other costs have been wipers. Battery was low after the first 34-months and it was replace as a warranty claim with no charges to the owner.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Nissan Sentra is a black beauty. The car is dependable and gets good gas mileage. But, you have to make a certain amount before anyone will try to help you. And all I was wanting to do is get a lower payment.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Recently I had a transmission replaced from my 2014 Nissan Sentra because dealership said the transmission was bad and needs replacement. The transmission was slipping, jerks, and hesitate when accelerating and very difficult to drive. I need to step on the gas pedal and floor it to accelerate. Then dealership replaced it with a reconditioned transmission that is worse than the one I have. I asked them why do I get a refurbished transmission and my car is still under warranty by Nissan and they said that is how Nissan replace transmission with only rebuild or refurbished one. I think that if the brand new transmission failed with me with only 24,000 miles how much more the transmission rebuild is going to last?

Well it didn't because it's still the same after the replacement because they put exactly the same defective transmission and what is even worst is it is a reconditioned and rusty transmission. I brought it back to the dealership and complained about it and test drove it with a technician and said to me I probably got another bad transmission. They said they are going to send a video and pictures to Nissan corp for another replacement. Then after a week in their garage they said they will not replace the transmission because Nissan corp said they have a way to fix it with their updates and stuff. Until now I still have the same problem. Could anyone tell me what to do? Do I have to consult a lawyer because from the beginning I bought this car I already know it's a lemon but in the beginning dealer always said that the car is running normal. Pls. Help.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Transmission gave out at 66,000 miles After I complained at 59K - My brother WARNED me about buying a Sentra after he had TWO transmissions replaced. We purchased the 2013 used and the sales rep PROMISED the improvements between the 2013 and 2011 that my brother had was significant. The Transmission was acting funny at 59K and the dealership found NO ERROR codes. That being said, since we drive it since then it got WORSE and WORSE. What is MOST upsetting is the NISSAN USA rep called me stating that the dealership did NOT recommend a new transmission when we complained at 59K when we bought the car in December of 2017. Now it's April 2018, a couple months later and the transmission is getting worse and worse. Now they recommend a transmission. I feel they did this on purpose.

DO NOT BY A NISSAN SENTRA. Get a Toyota or Honda. Even a Jag gives you 5 years UNLIMITED service because they want to rebuild their reputation. NISSAN has No Excuse to continue using this transmission. Don't believe me, GOOGLE IT. The worst complaints are revving and jerking, transmission failure, and whining noise, bearings worn out.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have bought New 2015 Nissan Sentra SV. It's April 2018 now and in 3 years of time total miles 55641, I have to replace transmission (Auto-transmission failed). Transmission failure happened while driving on state route, luckily I didn't encounter any accident. Then I called AAA to tow my car to Nissan dealer. After fixing, my family is hesitating to use this car. Beauty is, I have serviced my car at authorized Nissan dealer (mileage: 55,352) and my auto-transmission dead in couple of days (mileage: 55,641). I have opted for Nissan buyback, and they review and declined. I am not sure what to do with this car.

Maintenance / Financial: My car went through Nissan Safety recall once. I have taken good care of my car by doing on-time service. Another thing don't trust Nissan & Nissan dealer's bloodsuckers. I have complained about the service recommendation which these service center sells to customer in the name of Nissan but Nissan totally disowned it. Mileage in my car is 55000 miles, so far I paid $1056 (5% on total car cost).12 towards dealer service & Mechanical Service Contract $1806 (9% on total cost). Put together so far I have paid 14% on total car value towards car maintenance. Not a worthy mid-size car.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I've been a Nissan customer for almost a decade now. It hurts my heart to be brushed off so glibly when I've spoken so highly of this brand for years. I have (had) a 2013 Nissan Sentra with the dreaded CVT transmission. We've owned the car for a few years now and haven't had a problem until now. Also worth noting is we kept up on maintenance, oil changes, coolant changes, trans fluid flush, etc.

Driving down the interstate today, my vehicle died with bang. With a sudden jerk so damn hard I thought I had been rear-ended, the vehicle lost power and began to lose speed. Mind you, I'm in the middle lane of the highway going 70mph, and all of a sudden, with literally zero warning (no dash lights, no noise, just BOOM!), my car suddenly gained hydraulics and began to violently shudder up and down. God bless the man behind me, whom was thankfully paying full attention and thought I had just been in an accident or blown a tire. If he hadn't been watching, I would have surely been rear ended for real this time.

We had it towed to a dealership and were quoted $4,200 for a new transmission. No repair possible, needs replacing. While we haven't exceeded the warranty time period, we have exceeded the miles, so this bill is on us now. Does someone really need to die before Nissan takes action? They've extended additional warranties to multiple vehicles from 2003 to 2010, what exactly is the difference between a 2010 Sentra's CVT and a 2013 Sentra's CVT? Considering the massive influx of transmission problems that all seem to be conspicuously similar, I believe they're just holding out until the very bitter end.

I see several class action lawsuits in progress and as I've just been dealt a crippling, if not fatal blow to my livelihood, I'm hoping progress is made. I bought this car almost new, gave up everything I had for a shred of security in life, to finally have a new car for once and not have to worry about this exact problem happening, and it lasted no longer than a lemon from a buy here, pay here. So now I have a dead car that I still owe $12,000 on and each perceived way out of this living hell is turning out to be all dead ends. Please, heed this warning. The Nissan brand had a good run, but their foray into the whole CVT venture has ruined their brand, DO NOT BUY ANY NISSAN VEHICLE WITH A CVT, YOU WILL PAY FOR IT, POSSIBLY WITH YOUR LIFE.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra SV less than 3 months ago. When exiting the freeway, I pushed down on my gas pedal after stopping at a red light, and my car revved but wouldn't move. Someone ran over to help me push the car up a hill to a gas station where I called AAA to have it towed to Hayward Nissan where it was diagnosed with code P285A-bad clutch, needs a new transmission. The cost is about $4450 for a rebuilt. I haven't even made my second car payment, and I'm at risk of losing my job because I drive for a living! I called Nissan Consumer Affairs who first said they would replace my CVT if it wasn't something I did to cause damage.

The next day, the story changed to only covering $1000 towards a NEW transmission. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor who called the next day and was VERY rude. She told me that they originally made a mistake and that NISSAN would not be able to give me ANY help whatsoever towards a new transmission. I hope someone can help with this matter because it's a safety hazard...if the tranny had gone out about 30 seconds sooner, I could have been rear ended on the freeway. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves. I thought I had a car I could trust.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My daughter has a 2013 Nissan Sentra that is a death trap! The transmission is really messing up. And at a charge of $4,000 dollars to replace is absolutely absurd. I drove it yesterday and had to think fast by putting my emergency flashers on to keep someone from hitting me. It's dangerous to drive and the interstate is out of the question! I hope that this is resolved before anyone gets hurt or killed! If my family is injured in this car because of a faulty transmission, I want this to be public record for evidence of the problem we're having because of this car! My name is Sue **, mother of Felicia **! She is paying for it as a used car from Orr Nissan in Shreveport, La.

Updated on 04/12/2018: They took us through the ringer with this car. The Nissan Factory instructed dealership to dismantle it, which they did at Orr Nissan South. When we receive it back the car drove worst than before. We have tried to resolve this with the Nissan Company and it's representatives to no avail. My daughter is a college student and now she is stuck with a car that's a death trap! Can you help us! Please we desperately need some help with this matter.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Purchased a 2013 Nissan Sentra brand new off of the lot and changed oil every 5-7,000 miles with synthetic oil only as recommended. I had just over 100,000 miles on my car after the transmission went out on the car. This happened one month after my last payment. Only had this car for 5 years and thought that it was a great car until the transmission abruptly failed with no warning leaving me stranded. Will cost $4,000 at the dealership to replace. I was really hoping to keep this car for 10 years.

This is our 4th Nissan and never had a major problem likes this, certainly not after only 5 years. Hoping they would help cover the cost and after almost over a week of waiting for a reply, the answer was NO because I was past the warranty period. Very disappointing... I would not recommend buying one because when the CVT fails it just stops. After reading the reviews, I have found that this is not a rare occurrence. Nissan could easily responded and helped out with problem especially to a loyal customer who has bought 4 Nissan cars.

Original review: March 13, 2018

2013 Nissan Sentra SV, CVT revs high with loss of power - Car has 78,000 miles on it now and 2 weeks ago I noticed RPMs were higher than usual when starting off in cold weather & it wasn't shifting into the lower gear until I had gone several miles. Gas mileage has also dropped. I've had several Nissans in the past and loved them. Expected to get 300k out of this one, but after reading all the other people's problems which are just like mine I'm going to dump this ** and buy a Honda or Toyota. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to do so.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Transmission replacement 65,000 miles. Already replacing transmission to a fairly newer vehicle. I’ve had it for approximately 2 years, I’m still paying on it and the money I’ve put into fixing it could’ve have gone to paying my loan down. I’m disappointed in Nissan and will never buy another Nissan for as long as I live. I don’t care how nice of cars you think they are, save yourself and run!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra SR in Dec of 2014. It had 16 miles on it. It was maintained on a regular schedule for oil changes etc. On a trip from North GA to Key West, Fla it lost all acceleration on the interstate causing me to get it to the side of the road. I managed to drive it to the next exit where the car stopped out in the middle of the road. A man driving by was kind enough to help me push it out of the middle of the highway. Dangerous situation. I did manage to arrive in the Keys only to find out the maintenance dept at Nissan had been damaged by Hurricane Irma and wouldn't reopen for 3 more weeks.

I had to get back to GA so felt forced to trade the car in. Nissan didn't assist with the upside down amount I was left with on my new car (which is not a Nissan). A Nissan mechanic confirmed the transmission was shot. My Sentra only had 23,000 miles on it. How does this happen? It was a bad situation to be in and I will never buy a Nissan product again. They don't stand behind their cars or treat their customers right.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Bought this car (2013 Nissan Sentra) brand new off of the lot and changed oil every 5-7,000 miles with synthetic oil only, and did all of the regular maintenance. I had 135,000 miles on my car after the transmission went out on the car. Only had this car for 5 years and thought that it was a wonderful car until the CVT went and cost is over $3,000 at the dealership to replace. I was really hoping to keep this car for 8-10 years but they are not made to go the extra mile it seems. Very disappointing... I would not recommend buying one because when the CVT goes, it just stops working no matter where you are and there are no warning signs. There was some chugging in the morning on the way to work and on the way home. It died.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We have a Nissan Sentra 2013 with less than 95k miles that was maintained regularly. Its transmission broke today and will cost $4-5k to repair. We spent $2k two months ago on the engine. This car has been a nightmare and of course Nissan won't cover it under its warranty. Very disappointed and willing to file a lawsuit against Nissan. This cheap brand is putting lives at risk with their crappy products at this point.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was reading all the reviews with similar complaints to mine. I purchased a Nissan Sentra 2013 for my daughter, I wanted her to be in a safe car when she went away for college. What a mistake this purchase has turned out to be!! First the car completely stalled on the highway when it was less than 3 years old. She was very fortunate she wasn't injured but she was definitely traumatized by the experience. Recently at 70k miles she was having issues with the car accelerating and stalling as well as the RPMs. She was told she needed a new transmission. Nissan agreed to pay for 50% of the repairs with the stipulation the car had to be repaired at one of their dealerships. That was a $1900 cost for me, still quite expensive.

One month later the same problem persists and Nissan is adamant there is nothing wrong with the car. We called corporate, complained to the BBB to no avail. After reading all these reviews with similar complaints I am furious that they continue to sell these cars that are obviously unsafe. If you are reading this and value your life as that of your loved one DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE or any Nissan for that matter. They know this car has problems and are not assuming accountability.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra 2 years ago. I hear weird sounds, and since I had a "lifetime warranty" I took it to the shop. $250 later I have transmission failure that my warranty refused to fix, because one time I did not "flush my brake lines as indicated in the owners manual". How does that affect a transmission and cause it to wear out at 72,000 miles?!?! No car should need a BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION under 100,000. Nissan is selling a CRAP QUALITY CAR. I even contacted the Nissan Company and they refused to cover it. What an awful company. For clarity I did get my oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles. I am getting it repaired and selling it immediately to get a Honda. Don't waste your money. Do not give your money to Nissan. It is a ** company just doesn't sell quality products and backs out of guaranteeing their quality.

Nissan Sentra Company Information