Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.54/5

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

378 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

I love Nissan Sentra, it's a great buy and I've never had problems with it. It is easy to drive. It isn't too big or too small. I get great gas mileage. I can easily do things to it myself like wash, change the oil, check the tires. Furthermore, I like that when I take the key out of the ignition I can still roll up or down the windows as long as none of the doors have been opened. However, the oil light is the only thing I have a problem with. Make the oil change light easier to reset. When I take it to have the oil changed the people there never reset it and I can't get it to reset either. It's a pain to always see that light on when I know I take care of my car.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My old car was a 2000 Honda. It still had a pretty decent trade in value since I only had 80k miles on it but it started honking randomly so I had to get a new car. I have had Nissan for 3 years now and have had no issues with it. I like the Bluetooth and the seats are comfortable. I also like the keyless engine start and that's also a downfall because once the key fob is out of batteries, you need to replace it. One more thing that could make your day go from average to awful and imagine not being able to start the car because of the key fob running out of battery. There should still be a place to insert the physical key to start in case of emergencies. I don't like that the car has too many buttons. Some of them I still don't know how to use and I couldn't figure out how to see the time without reading the manual.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Love it. This model came with cruise control which I would need when I moved 400 miles away for school. There is eco boost, volume controls on the wheel. There is the ability to track gas mileage, your current speed, and miles remaining within the tank on the dash. All controls are easily accessible and it is comfortable to drive! The 4 cylinder motor is a little slow on the get go but once it's up there it's fine. Mileage is fantastic, brakes aren't too touchy and it comes with many options for upgrades. But I wish it came with satellite radio and a screen navigation because of where I live now. I also wish the back seat folded up differently for larger dogs and that there was an option for an internal vacuum system. But the Nissan Sentra is a great beginner vehicle and would last into early stages of starting a family. Safety ratings were great, as of yet (4 years) this model hasn't needed any recalls.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have had a pleasant experience with Nissan. Bought Sentra used and no major fixes have been necessary. It has a wonderful interior that is extremely practical for my needs. This car also has a great trunk and storage area with the ability to flip down the back seats. It is a good durable vehicle and the look of it is nice. Furthermore, it sips gas: wonderful mileage. It drives and rides extremely smooth. I feel very safe when I am in this car. While I would definitely recommend it to a family member and feel good in doing so, I would make it four wheel drive which would be hard to do for a car. I also would like to see nit picky things such as heat warmers and a better convection air system. The heat and air conditioning do not reach the back of the car very well.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I bought a new 2008 Sentra and it has been incredible. No major expenses until last year and normal wear and tear for 170k miles. A/C compressor and motor mounts. I had been incredibly satisfied with this car. So much so, that I bought a second one at 96k miles for my new driver daughter. Both cars, just this past month, have begun doing the engine revving and no acceleration. Letting off the gas, then hitting it again seems to work in all instances - thus far. However, from what I read in other posts, this will be temporary and eventually, it won't shift at all.

I have had great luck with my first one but I also changed the fluid and maintained it regularly. The second car I acquired at 96k miles had not been serviced but I did so at the time. Perhaps following the service manual helped but in all, at now 176k miles on my original car, I've been pleased with the reliability and quality of the car. Low maintenance expenses and great reliability for the past 10 years is great and I'd have spent way more than 4k on the repairs of a domestic car. Maybe Honda or Toyota would be better, but they also cost more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Purchased my 2015 Nissan Sentra SR with less than 15,000 miles. At 20,000 the issues began with my transmission. It would slip shifting from one gear to the other, no acceleration power, and at times would lose all power. Here I am at 35,000 miles and on a second transmission and it has failed once more. Save yourself the headache, the debt and avoid at all costs!

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought a 2014 Sentra in 2016, and the transmission is toast. I floored the gas and it wouldn’t move, would stay at under 1 RPM. I knew something was off when I was driving on the highway in cruise control and the RPM would go erratically from 2-3-4, then back to 2. I was hoping it would be engine coils, only few hundred to fix. Not a chance. And to add to my headache, while towing, the steering wheel didn’t lock even though key wasn’t in it so the tires moved while hooking up the car on the tow. Then we used the key to move the steering wheel back in position, and once I closed the door, the car locked itself with the key inside!!! Never happens before, usually this car locks while you are driving.

Long story short, this car has 4 years left of payments and it’s just sitting in driveway because it’s $3200 minimum to replace transmission with a used one, which the car will never be the same. Good luck trying to trade it in. Never buy a Nissan again, I’ve always been a Honda guy. But I think I’m switching to Chevy, all my friends and family use Chevy and they say it’s reliable.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I purchased a 2013 NISSAN SENTRA from a reputable dealer and I only drove the car to and from work. I had the oil changed every 3000 miles, and I started to feel the jerking and hesitation. I called my local Nissan dealer, and they said it would be 199 for a diagnostic fee. I said I wanted the transmission fluid changes, and they told me that Nissan doesn't recommend that it be changed in the closed system until 60,000 miles. I had the service manager take it for a spin, and he said it was because I hit a pothole... I then had to do the diagnostic only to find out I needed a new transmission!! At 51,000 miles!!! I was so upset, and the service manager gave me the number to corporate Nissan...

After nearly a week of runaround, and recorded conversations... they offered to pay half of the cost for a new transmission even though I was just a month out of the 5 year, 60,000 warranty, and that was their only and final offer. I have been waiting over two weeks, (with a rental they are trying to charge me $39 a day for) and I still don't have the car fixed, as the local dealer said there is only one guy that can fix this transmission... so I am getting a "fixed" transmission for $1600?

This car only has 51,000 miles on it! I am 56 years old, and never owned a car that had a transmission die at $51,000 miles! Nissan continues to sell these defective CVT cars to the poor souls, like me, that believed they were getting a reliable and affordable means of transportation to work... or school. The big shots at Nissan are laughing at us all the way to the bank... I have to wait in line with the others, and joined the class action lawsuit. I would suggest that anyone else who was harmed and burnt by Nissan do the same. NISSAN doesn't want you to get the transmission fluid changed until 60,000 miles in this closed system because your warranty will be up! AGAIN. The engineers at Nissan and the corporate big shots who can throw away these cars when they fall apart are laughing all the way to the bank.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

After returning from serving overseas in June of 2016, my family and I purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra still under warranty with approximately 20,000 miles. The intent of purchasing a "newer" vehicle with a warranty was for peace of mind under the assumption that it would last for many years to come. The Nissan Sentra was comfortable, had some nice features and had great gas mileage so we chose it over "T" brand...big mistake.

After using as a daily commuter and regular traveling something didn't seem right, the way it shifted and drove was a little off. Took it to the dealership a few times but they weren't able to pinpoint anything wrong. Lo and behold less than 10,000 miles after the warranty expired the transmission went out. Told the dealerships we had taken it in but there wasn't enough evidence or history for them to open a case. $4000 later we have a new transmission in a car we don't want anymore, but now upside down on what the car is worth (current loan $7000 plus $4000, $11000 for a car only worth $7k). Worse part is the transmission will probably go out again and we will be >$8000 past what the value of the vehicle is.

Nissan Will Not Recognize a Faulty Product. My first car was a 1986 Nissan Sentra, second car 1996 Hardbody, third 1997 Hardbody, and fourth 2005 Frontier. The 86 Sentra was great, Hardbody's no problems, 2005 Frontier transmission and timing chain issues. Seems like they are steady going downhill. Never will I buy a Nissan again. Only advice is stay away from these cars (period, end, dot).

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I financed my 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new, it only has 19k miles on it, and it's at the dealership for the 2nd time "waiting on approval from Nissan to fix it". This trans started going out at around 5k miles, just didn't realize it until I was told what the signs were. It started losing a lot of power, jerks, screeches upon accelerating, pulls, makes a loud metal clanking sound at slow speeds, only goes about 30mph up inclines, and revs up or slows way down while on freeway. DANGEROUS! The good folks at Nissan Corp are fully aware of this problem, have had several lawsuits already, and are STILL putting these faulty transmissions in their 2019s! They own this transmission manufacturing company by the way. The problem is, even if they "fix" it, it will never truly be fixed. Because they keep putting in the same faulty CVT transmission systems in them. Some people are on their 2nd to 4th transmission replacement.

My suggestion? If you're having or have had problems with this, you can check your state regarding a lemon law case. Many attorneys who specialize in this will take your case at no charge to you (even if you no longer own it). Nissan needs to be held accountable for this! As a consumer, I hope everyone going through this goes after them legally. I used to rave about Nissan's (I've owned 5), but no more! Horrible death traps that could put you, your family, and drivers on the road around you, in a potentially dangerous situation! Good luck to all.

Nissan Sentra Company Information