Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.25/5

Nissan Sentra

The Nissan Sentra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1982. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

359 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We bought a 2016 Nissan Sentra SV in April of 2018. We complained of a whining noise but the mechanic couldn’t do anything because they couldn’t see or touch it. Now it’s November and the transmission was shaky and would seem like no power while on the freeway. I just took it in yesterday 11/09/2018 and they said the transmission needs replaced but it’s out of warranty. The staff was very helpful in trying to help bring it was just out of warranty but I called the place we bought it from and we have a 1 yr warranty through them so it’s covered. Thank goodness. Beware of vehicles with CVT transmissions. Transmission needs replaced after 60,000 miles.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I bought a Sentra 2015 at 40,000 miles. The ride was alright for the first month, after that, the transmission would start glitching and throwing me off from eco mode. The ride on this car is unpredictable, especially when driving in the city. This car is jeopardizing the safety of everyone on the road. It is definitely a car that was designed by a company with no virtue. Let's all boycott Nissan.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

The transmission has an internal failure and it flutters. The car is 5 years old. I’ve already paid $1k because the air con compressor went out and now they want $6k to replace the trans on a car that might be worth $7k. Nissan NA says they will not help cover any costs. Even though they know this transmission has issues Accords the board and they have extended warranties to the 2007-2010 models.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

My first Sentra was a 2011 base with 34000 miles on it. I put about 100000 on it and traded in 2018. The most expensive thing I had happen was air conditioner went out - $600. Long as you don’t drive it like a race car and keep regular maintenance, it’s a solid car. I’m 60 years old and for the first time in my life, traded in a car for an updated version of the same car - 2017 Sentra turbo. It has everything my mother’s Volvo has - back up camera, front brake alarm, leather seats, separate climate controls, Sunroof, turbo, etc. except not the $80k price. Nissan offers that power train warranty too for the life of the car loan. I’m impressed.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I obtained my Nissan 2014 Sentra on September 12, 2015 as a used rental that had 25K on it. Since having it, I have put on approximately 20K additional miles. When driving home from work on Friday, July 6, 2018, my car stopped responding to my pushing down on the gas pedal and refused to accelerate without the RPM leaping and jumping around. After it struggled for a little while, the vehicle's speed plummeted out of nowhere from 65 mph to 30 mph while on the highway.

Fortunately, I did not get into an accident, and managed to get the car back to my home, but not before it completely stopped functioning when stopping at a residential stop sign. I had a kind neighbor and my flatmate push the Nissan to my driveway. Upon researching online, it has come to my attention that there is a civil class action lawsuit against Nissan for failing CVT transmissions with a wide variety of their models manufactured between 2013-2017, with Sentras topping the list of complete transmission failure. I have never had any issues with this car, nor were there any warning lights or indications that my car was going to completely give out on me while driving along the highway. My oil changes and basic maintenance has been kept up to date, so to have complete transmission failure on a car used as a commuter to my job is completely inexcusable.

In three years, I have put 20K on it....which is hardly high mileage. My housemate has a 2014 Subaru Impreza, and that car has double the amount of miles on it and has yet to have anything go wrong with it. No one should have to be terrified to drive their vehicle due to mechanical failures after 45K, and I am now officially conditioned to have very little trust in Nissan. My car is getting the transmission replaced, though I can't help but wonder if I am going to get another 5K, 20K or 40K with the same technology being placed within my vehicle that has the reputation of failing. I have been in contact with Nissan directly as well as my dealership about this matter, and am going to ask about any options of getting rid of this vehicle. I still owe payments on this thing, yet it is already costing me more than it is worth. Truly pathetic. I would tell anyone to stay away specifically from this model and year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Sentra?

Original review: June 22, 2018

My grandparents purchased me a 2013 Nissan Sentra as my first vehicle. Sadly at 81k the transmission went out. Unfortunately it is no longer covered under warranty. Based on reviews this is not the vehicle to buy considering the lowest quote I received to replace it was $2700.00. Please please if you are in the market for a vehicle DO NOT PURCHASE Nissan!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

This Nissan Sentra is very old and a piece of garbage. Like 2001-ish old. Very sun-damaged. Kinda scratched up. My parents bought it back when I was 17 years old and still learning to drive a car. I had recently gotten my permit and enrolled in driving classes. Bought in case I wreck it so my parents don't have me destroy a new car. Service Engine light goes on and off randomly. Fan belt screeches in the morning. Headlights too dim. Horn sometimes doesn't work. It's small and I'm small so that's good. But I still can barely see over the steering wheel and it's a pain in the butt.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I love Nissan Sentra, it's a great buy and I've never had problems with it. It is easy to drive. It isn't too big or too small. I get great gas mileage. I can easily do things to it myself like wash, change the oil, check the tires. Furthermore, I like that when I take the key out of the ignition I can still roll up or down the windows as long as none of the doors have been opened. However, the oil light is the only thing I have a problem with. Make the oil change light easier to reset. When I take it to have the oil changed the people there never reset it and I can't get it to reset either. It's a pain to always see that light on when I know I take care of my car.

Original review: June 16, 2018

My old car was a 2000 Honda. It still had a pretty decent trade in value since I only had 80k miles on it but it started honking randomly so I had to get a new car. I have had Nissan for 3 years now and have had no issues with it. I like the Bluetooth and the seats are comfortable. I also like the keyless engine start and that's also a downfall because once the key fob is out of batteries, you need to replace it. One more thing that could make your day go from average to awful and imagine not being able to start the car because of the key fob running out of battery. There should still be a place to insert the physical key to start in case of emergencies. I don't like that the car has too many buttons. Some of them I still don't know how to use and I couldn't figure out how to see the time without reading the manual.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Love it. This model came with cruise control which I would need when I moved 400 miles away for school. There is eco boost, volume controls on the wheel. There is the ability to track gas mileage, your current speed, and miles remaining within the tank on the dash. All controls are easily accessible and it is comfortable to drive! The 4 cylinder motor is a little slow on the get go but once it's up there it's fine. Mileage is fantastic, brakes aren't too touchy and it comes with many options for upgrades. But I wish it came with satellite radio and a screen navigation because of where I live now. I also wish the back seat folded up differently for larger dogs and that there was an option for an internal vacuum system. But the Nissan Sentra is a great beginner vehicle and would last into early stages of starting a family. Safety ratings were great, as of yet (4 years) this model hasn't needed any recalls.

Nissan Sentra Company Information