1.48/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 14, 2018

342 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2018

This Nissan sentra 2013 FE+S is junk. I bought it brand new and I just finished paying it off. I noticed a few months ago strange sounds and slips from the transmission. Today I completely lost power while driving and was almost hit. The transmission just stopped working for like 10 seconds, then kicked back in. Nissan is garbage and I will never buy one again. From the looks of it no one is having luck with replacements. I drive a lot for work and now I’m going to be forced to pay another 4 grand for another garbage CVT, or I’m going to buy another car.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Nissan Sentra looks good but shakes, rattles and rumbles, uncomfortable to sit in, mediocre mileage and poor trade-in value. Also did not like the dealership. Not a good buy and would not buy again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Nissan Sentra is a city car and had it for 3-years. Mileage is good and it rides like a city car but has been good on the open road. Other than the standard maintenance routine, the only other costs have been wipers. Battery was low after the first 34-months and it was replace as a warranty claim with no charges to the owner.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Nissan Sentra is a black beauty. The car is dependable and gets good gas mileage. But, you have to make a certain amount before anyone will try to help you. And all I was wanting to do is get a lower payment.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Recently I had a transmission replaced from my 2014 Nissan Sentra because dealership said the transmission was bad and needs replacement. The transmission was slipping, jerks, and hesitate when accelerating and very difficult to drive. I need to step on the gas pedal and floor it to accelerate. Then dealership replaced it with a reconditioned transmission that is worse than the one I have. I asked them why do I get a refurbished transmission and my car is still under warranty by Nissan and they said that is how Nissan replace transmission with only rebuild or refurbished one. I think that if the brand new transmission failed with me with only 24,000 miles how much more the transmission rebuild is going to last?

Well it didn't because it's still the same after the replacement because they put exactly the same defective transmission and what is even worst is it is a reconditioned and rusty transmission. I brought it back to the dealership and complained about it and test drove it with a technician and said to me I probably got another bad transmission. They said they are going to send a video and pictures to Nissan corp for another replacement. Then after a week in their garage they said they will not replace the transmission because Nissan corp said they have a way to fix it with their updates and stuff. Until now I still have the same problem. Could anyone tell me what to do? Do I have to consult a lawyer because from the beginning I bought this car I already know it's a lemon but in the beginning dealer always said that the car is running normal. Pls. Help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: April 17, 2018

Transmission gave out at 66,000 miles After I complained at 59K - My brother WARNED me about buying a Sentra after he had TWO transmissions replaced. We purchased the 2013 used and the sales rep PROMISED the improvements between the 2013 and 2011 that my brother had was significant. The Transmission was acting funny at 59K and the dealership found NO ERROR codes. That being said, since we drive it since then it got WORSE and WORSE. What is MOST upsetting is the NISSAN USA rep called me stating that the dealership did NOT recommend a new transmission when we complained at 59K when we bought the car in December of 2017. Now it's April 2018, a couple months later and the transmission is getting worse and worse. Now they recommend a transmission. I feel they did this on purpose.

DO NOT BY A NISSAN SENTRA. Get a Toyota or Honda. Even a Jag gives you 5 years UNLIMITED service because they want to rebuild their reputation. NISSAN has No Excuse to continue using this transmission. Don't believe me, GOOGLE IT. The worst complaints are revving and jerking, transmission failure, and whining noise, bearings worn out.

Original review: April 16, 2018

We have bought New 2015 Nissan Sentra SV. It's April 2018 now and in 3 years of time total miles 55641, I have to replace transmission (Auto-transmission failed). Transmission failure happened while driving on state route, luckily I didn't encounter any accident. Then I called AAA to tow my car to Nissan dealer. After fixing, my family is hesitating to use this car. Beauty is, I have serviced my car at authorized Nissan dealer (mileage: 55,352) and my auto-transmission dead in couple of days (mileage: 55,641). I have opted for Nissan buyback, and they review and declined. I am not sure what to do with this car.

Maintenance / Financial: My car went through Nissan Safety recall once. I have taken good care of my car by doing on-time service. Another thing don't trust Nissan & Nissan dealer's bloodsuckers. I have complained about the service recommendation which these service center sells to customer in the name of Nissan but Nissan totally disowned it. Mileage in my car is 55000 miles, so far I paid $1056 (5% on total car cost).12 towards dealer service & Mechanical Service Contract $1806 (9% on total cost). Put together so far I have paid 14% on total car value towards car maintenance. Not a worthy mid-size car.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I've been a Nissan customer for almost a decade now. It hurts my heart to be brushed off so glibly when I've spoken so highly of this brand for years. I have (had) a 2013 Nissan Sentra with the dreaded CVT transmission. We've owned the car for a few years now and haven't had a problem until now. Also worth noting is we kept up on maintenance, oil changes, coolant changes, trans fluid flush, etc.

Driving down the interstate today, my vehicle died with bang. With a sudden jerk so damn hard I thought I had been rear-ended, the vehicle lost power and began to lose speed. Mind you, I'm in the middle lane of the highway going 70mph, and all of a sudden, with literally zero warning (no dash lights, no noise, just BOOM!), my car suddenly gained hydraulics and began to violently shudder up and down. God bless the man behind me, whom was thankfully paying full attention and thought I had just been in an accident or blown a tire. If he hadn't been watching, I would have surely been rear ended for real this time.

We had it towed to a dealership and were quoted $4,200 for a new transmission. No repair possible, needs replacing. While we haven't exceeded the warranty time period, we have exceeded the miles, so this bill is on us now. Does someone really need to die before Nissan takes action? They've extended additional warranties to multiple vehicles from 2003 to 2010, what exactly is the difference between a 2010 Sentra's CVT and a 2013 Sentra's CVT? Considering the massive influx of transmission problems that all seem to be conspicuously similar, I believe they're just holding out until the very bitter end.

I see several class action lawsuits in progress and as I've just been dealt a crippling, if not fatal blow to my livelihood, I'm hoping progress is made. I bought this car almost new, gave up everything I had for a shred of security in life, to finally have a new car for once and not have to worry about this exact problem happening, and it lasted no longer than a lemon from a buy here, pay here. So now I have a dead car that I still owe $12,000 on and each perceived way out of this living hell is turning out to be all dead ends. Please, heed this warning. The Nissan brand had a good run, but their foray into the whole CVT venture has ruined their brand, DO NOT BUY ANY NISSAN VEHICLE WITH A CVT, YOU WILL PAY FOR IT, POSSIBLY WITH YOUR LIFE.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra SV less than 3 months ago. When exiting the freeway, I pushed down on my gas pedal after stopping at a red light, and my car revved but wouldn't move. Someone ran over to help me push the car up a hill to a gas station where I called AAA to have it towed to Hayward Nissan where it was diagnosed with code P285A-bad clutch, needs a new transmission. The cost is about $4450 for a rebuilt. I haven't even made my second car payment, and I'm at risk of losing my job because I drive for a living! I called Nissan Consumer Affairs who first said they would replace my CVT if it wasn't something I did to cause damage.

The next day, the story changed to only covering $1000 towards a NEW transmission. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor who called the next day and was VERY rude. She told me that they originally made a mistake and that NISSAN would not be able to give me ANY help whatsoever towards a new transmission. I hope someone can help with this matter because it's a safety hazard...if the tranny had gone out about 30 seconds sooner, I could have been rear ended on the freeway. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves. I thought I had a car I could trust.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My daughter has a 2013 Nissan Sentra that is a death trap! The transmission is really messing up. And at a charge of $4,000 dollars to replace is absolutely absurd. I drove it yesterday and had to think fast by putting my emergency flashers on to keep someone from hitting me. It's dangerous to drive and the interstate is out of the question! I hope that this is resolved before anyone gets hurt or killed! If my family is injured in this car because of a faulty transmission, I want this to be public record for evidence of the problem we're having because of this car! My name is Sue **, mother of Felicia **! She is paying for it as a used car from Orr Nissan in Shreveport, La.

Updated on 04/12/2018: They took us through the ringer with this car. The Nissan Factory instructed dealership to dismantle it, which they did at Orr Nissan South. When we receive it back the car drove worst than before. We have tried to resolve this with the Nissan Company and it's representatives to no avail. My daughter is a college student and now she is stuck with a car that's a death trap! Can you help us! Please we desperately need some help with this matter.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Purchased a 2013 Nissan Sentra brand new off of the lot and changed oil every 5-7,000 miles with synthetic oil only as recommended. I had just over 100,000 miles on my car after the transmission went out on the car. This happened one month after my last payment. Only had this car for 5 years and thought that it was a great car until the transmission abruptly failed with no warning leaving me stranded. Will cost $4,000 at the dealership to replace. I was really hoping to keep this car for 10 years.

This is our 4th Nissan and never had a major problem likes this, certainly not after only 5 years. Hoping they would help cover the cost and after almost over a week of waiting for a reply, the answer was NO because I was past the warranty period. Very disappointing... I would not recommend buying one because when the CVT fails it just stops. After reading the reviews, I have found that this is not a rare occurrence. Nissan could easily responded and helped out with problem especially to a loyal customer who has bought 4 Nissan cars.

Original review: March 13, 2018

2013 Nissan Sentra SV, CVT revs high with loss of power - Car has 78,000 miles on it now and 2 weeks ago I noticed RPMs were higher than usual when starting off in cold weather & it wasn't shifting into the lower gear until I had gone several miles. Gas mileage has also dropped. I've had several Nissans in the past and loved them. Expected to get 300k out of this one, but after reading all the other people's problems which are just like mine I'm going to dump this turd and buy a Honda or Toyota. I just hope it lasts long enough for me to do so.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Transmission replacement 65,000 miles. Already replacing transmission to a fairly newer vehicle. I’ve had it for approximately 2 years, I’m still paying on it and the money I’ve put into fixing it could’ve have gone to paying my loan down. I’m disappointed in Nissan and will never buy another Nissan for as long as I live. I don’t care how nice of cars you think they are, save yourself and run!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I purchased a 2014 Nissan Sentra SR in Dec of 2014. It had 16 miles on it. It was maintained on a regular schedule for oil changes etc. On a trip from North GA to Key West, Fla it lost all acceleration on the interstate causing me to get it to the side of the road. I managed to drive it to the next exit where the car stopped out in the middle of the road. A man driving by was kind enough to help me push it out of the middle of the highway. Dangerous situation. I did manage to arrive in the Keys only to find out the maintenance dept at Nissan had been damaged by Hurricane Irma and wouldn't reopen for 3 more weeks.

I had to get back to GA so felt forced to trade the car in. Nissan didn't assist with the upside down amount I was left with on my new car (which is not a Nissan). A Nissan mechanic confirmed the transmission was shot. My Sentra only had 23,000 miles on it. How does this happen? It was a bad situation to be in and I will never buy a Nissan product again. They don't stand behind their cars or treat their customers right.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Bought this car (2013 Nissan Sentra) brand new off of the lot and changed oil every 5-7,000 miles with synthetic oil only, and did all of the regular maintenance. I had 135,000 miles on my car after the transmission went out on the car. Only had this car for 5 years and thought that it was a wonderful car until the CVT went and cost is over $3,000 at the dealership to replace. I was really hoping to keep this car for 8-10 years but they are not made to go the extra mile it seems. Very disappointing... I would not recommend buying one because when the CVT goes, it just stops working no matter where you are and there are no warning signs. There was some chugging in the morning on the way to work and on the way home. It died.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We have a Nissan Sentra 2013 with less than 95k miles that was maintained regularly. Its transmission broke today and will cost $4-5k to repair. We spent $2k two months ago on the engine. This car has been a nightmare and of course Nissan won't cover it under its warranty. Very disappointed and willing to file a lawsuit against Nissan. This cheap brand is putting lives at risk with their crappy products at this point.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I was reading all the reviews with similar complaints to mine. I purchased a Nissan Sentra 2013 for my daughter, I wanted her to be in a safe car when she went away for college. What a mistake this purchase has turned out to be!! First the car completely stalled on the highway when it was less than 3 years old. She was very fortunate she wasn't injured but she was definitely traumatized by the experience. Recently at 70k miles she was having issues with the car accelerating and stalling as well as the RPMs. She was told she needed a new transmission. Nissan agreed to pay for 50% of the repairs with the stipulation the car had to be repaired at one of their dealerships. That was a $1900 cost for me, still quite expensive.

One month later the same problem persists and Nissan is adamant there is nothing wrong with the car. We called corporate, complained to the BBB to no avail. After reading all these reviews with similar complaints I am furious that they continue to sell these cars that are obviously unsafe. If you are reading this and value your life as that of your loved one DO NOT PURCHASE THIS VEHICLE or any Nissan for that matter. They know this car has problems and are not assuming accountability.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra 2 years ago. I hear weird sounds, and since I had a "lifetime warranty" I took it to the shop. $250 later I have transmission failure that my warranty refused to fix, because one time I did not "flush my brake lines as indicated in the owners manual". How does that affect a transmission and cause it to wear out at 72,000 miles?!?! No car should need a BRAND NEW TRANSMISSION under 100,000. Nissan is selling a CRAP QUALITY CAR. I even contacted the Nissan Company and they refused to cover it. What an awful company. For clarity I did get my oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles. I am getting it repaired and selling it immediately to get a Honda. Don't waste your money. Do not give your money to Nissan. It is a ** company just doesn't sell quality products and backs out of guaranteeing their quality.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Purchased my 2013 Nissan Sentra with 38k miles. 2 years (to the day) & another 34k miles later I started up my car and it would not drive faster than 20 MPH. Luckily I was in a safe spot. Wasn't until after this happened that I did my research and found out I'm not the only one this has happened to. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones making it to 72K. Called Nissan and since I am out of warranty- they're only willing to pay for half the repair. Guess something is better than nothing.

More angry that this is a KNOWN problem for this transmission. They even issued an extended warranty for cars 2010 & earlier using the SAME transmission. Have had 2 mechanics give me pricing. One explained he looked up the price a week before I called for ANOTHER 2013 Nissan in the area. One of them knew the cost off the top of his head. He's had the same call so often. THIS IS NOT OK. If you are STILL making cars with this transmission you should offer the warranty to EVERYONE who has one. There are MANY class action lawsuits going on about this exact problem. Nissan is EXTREMELY ignorant to this problem even though it is staring them in the face. Will never purchase, consider or recommend a Nissan to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Car struggled and RPMs, kept going up and down until the gear would change with a click. When starting to drive the car takes long to accelerate. Took car to Nissan for a diagnostic testing and was told that CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Service adviser stated that there have been issues with this model regarding transmission. Car is only 3 years old. When looking at Business Bureau there are other people with the same car having the same issues.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Purchased new off the lot 2015 Nissan Sentra. 2 1/2 years later needs new transmission for 4k! Extremely disappointed due to I'm still paying for this car! Thought Nissan was a reputable vehicle company. I WAS VERY WRONG!!! Service said they could do nothing about it because my mileage being at 63k was not within warranty! I have had other car shops tell me the CVT on these cars are no good! While Nissan is absolutely still doing nothing about it!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

We purchased this car for my daughter who is a college student, because we thought Nissan was a reputable company with reliable vehicles. Boy, were we wrong. At 79k miles, the 2013 Nissan Sentra transmission went out in rush hour traffic, almost causing an accident. Brought it to our mechanic who diagnosed a faulty/bad transmission and said he is seeing a lot of Nissan transmission failures - so many that he told us that the Nissan dealership keeps replacement transmissions in stock which, according to our mechanic, is highly unusual.

Called Nissan Consumer Affairs, but they were very unhelpful - simply assigned a "case #" and documented the issue. Their "solution" was for me to have it towed to the local dealer (at my expense) and have a certified Nissan mechanic diagnose the bad transmission (again, at my expense), but that it is not covered under warranty after 60k. I called the dealer and the service dept. representative confirmed that Nissan will not cover the bad transmission. Unbelievable. Had to pay $3600 for a new transmission that our mechanic purchased directly from the dealer.

Looking into a class action lawsuit to remedy the situation. I cannot believe that Nissan is knowingly selling with faulty transmissions with no recall or extended warranty. In many cases, they are putting lives in danger - especially when the vehicles break down in traffic. Nissan has already had to extend warranties on other Nissan models for faulty transmissions (due to another class action lawsuit). Will NEVER purchase a Nissan again and am sharing my story widely.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I've had my 2014 Nissan Sentra for almost one year. Recently started having transmission problems. Before purchasing I wasn't not aware of this problem with Nissan's transmissions. It's out of warranty, sent an email to Nissan corporate with no response. Struggling mother of two and having major car problems. I am at a loss. Car stammers studders just CRAP. Still paying on this junk car as well. For the amount of complaints there should be a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for Nissan!!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Will never buy another Nissan. I bought a 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new off the lot in April 2015. Two years later, I first had acceleration issues (when I took off from a light or stop sign, the response was really slow and I had hesitation during acceleration). This problem was random and occurred only three times in a 6 month period, so I assumed it was bad gas as the engine light did not come on. Two weeks ago the problem came back when I was driving home from work, and by the time I got home it would no longer accelerate at all, and the engine light finally came on after this happened.

I am fortunate I made it home, but now the transmission is shot, it has only 60,200 miles on it, and because I am just over the 60K, it is not under warranty. From what I am reading, the CVT transmissions are horrible, and I do not want to keep having to buy new transmissions for this vehicle because they are prone to go bad. I am still paying for the car and can't afford a new transmission every few years and when I called Nissan, their service center said they are not aware of any issues with the CVT. I bought this car because I needed a reliable car to get me back and forth to work - guess I picked the wrong vehicle. Nissan has lost my business and I will not recommend on to anyone else.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I got a 2015 Nissan Sentra S in November 2016 with 40k miles on it. Within 2 weeks it needed a new transmission. It was covered under warranty. Fine. 1 year later, it needed yet another transmission. This time I took it to AAMCO and paid over $3,000. Not even 3 months later, guess what? It needs a new transmission again! Every auto repair place I talk to tells me the CVT is junk. Why has this not been corrected??? I used to think Nissan made a good product, right up there with Toyota. Wow I was wrong! Now what?

Resolution response: Dec. 25, 2017

Nissan was beyond helpful in resolving my issues. The lady who helped me was professional and understanding. My opinion greatly changed after the assistance i received.

Initially my post was made prior to hearing from Nissan. It was to share my experience with the car. But since i am happy. ☺

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My car has now just over 72000 miles on it and well out of warranty. My car started to stall, refused to go and would require me to shut off the car for about 10 seconds. Had several places look at it for opinions. Finally called Nissan consumer affairs and explained I see many people complaining about transmission failure. Local Nissan dealer has confirmed transmission (cvt) needs to be replaced. Explained, I was told Nissan was reliable and low maintenance which helped me to purchase the 2013 Sentra brand new in 2013. I still owe money on the car and now lost. I don’t have the money to fix the car nor purchase a used or new car. Very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Just like the reviews from other 2013 Nissan Sentra owners, my Sentra has 71000 miles and the transmission has begun having issues. There is sputtering when the drive begins and the engine is cold. The car feels like it is dragging. Very disappointed. Will not buy another Nissan.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

If I could give this car 0 stars, I would! I'll never again in life buy or recommend Nissan to anyone. I loved this 2014 Nissan Sentra at first but looks like as soon as I hit over 100,000 miles everything just fell apart. The infamous CVT went out at 109,000 miles and Nissan paid 70%, which I accepted because I did not feel like fighting with them. That 30% still hurt me financially as I'm a college student. I get my car back and there's a rattling noise. I thought that was strange after having a CVT replacement.

I take it back to Don Davis Nissan in Arlington, Texas and they tell me my catalytic converter failed... I looked at them with disgust. How does my catalytic converter fail?! Quoted $1100 to fix... Nope I don't have another $1100 to give Nissan. I finally get it replaced at a muffler shop and turns out that wasn't even the issue! I'm out of more money because the techs have no clue what they are talking about and have to make another visit to the dealer to figure out what is causing my car to rattle up on start and even when I'm driving. This car has been a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have a 2013 Nissan Sentra and I have been having minor problems with the transmission. I took it to Nissan dealership back in July 2017 let them know. They wanted to charge me 150.00 just to look at it. It is now November 2017. My car gave out on me while driving with my 10 yr old son. My car has warranty until 60,000 and it currently has 59,000 so I made it just in time but reading these reviews I'm sure this isn't problem isn't over for me. I will never purchase a Nissan again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra for my daughter to use for college and work. Thought Nissan was a reputable company, similar to my experiences with Toyota and Honda/Acura, but I was OHHH SO WRONG. The transmission on my daughter's Nissan Sentra has been stuttering/slamming since 90k, outside the warranty timeframe. Had it checked by Nissan dealership, confirmed transmission needs replacement, contacted corporate, and after investigation, they said that NO help could be offered due to mileage warranty expiration. Don't have these problems with Toyota, should have stayed with Toyota, my '04 Corolla has 204000 miles and still running, sooner or later a repair will be required but says a lot about quality.

Nissan should be held accountable for their misrepresented quality product as I see many of the other reviewers have same/similar problems going on. Nissan does NOT represent a quality product, they are at the bottom of food chain for their product and are misleading consumer with their misguided value/quality and flooding market with basically a throw away product. Never seem to have this problem with Toyota or Honda. I hope that there is a sharp lawyer out there that sees the potential of a class action suit to help out Johnny consumer with this problem of "Nissan". Please contact me in regards to class action suit if anyone knows of any. There are a lot of consumer out here that have been hurt financially due to the lack of Nissan standing behind their customers and product.

Nissan Sentra Company Information