Nissan Sentra

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This is by far the worst experience ever, I purchased my Nissan in May 2015 and in Sep 2016 my transmission went up on me. I had to get a new transmission. The dealership said and I believe I had 70,000 Miles. Went back a week later cause the same problem was going on. They told me Nissan Sentra drives like that and it's ok. Now I'm back at it again. Car been at the dealership for a week now because of the transmission again. This is crazy and as clients we shouldn't have to go through this. I'm so angry right now. All I want to do is get out of this Nissan and get another car but I can't because I owe too much on the vehicle.

Now I'm stuck with this Nissan and now after looking at all of the reviews for this vehicle they need to recall all of them. Damn Nissan Sentra 2013 for their transmission. It's so many people having problems with these Sentra. How can we make our voice be heard so they can look into it and get all of us out of these dangers vehicle and put us into something else and with a better transmission.

The transmission completely went out on our 2013 Nissan Sentra at 72,000 miles. There were no warning lights, no clues that anything was wrong, until the car just stopped going when I'd step on the gas. The repair cost was $3,800. When I called Nissan to ask if they could assist us with the repairs, since there have been so many complaints about their faulty transmissions, they said there was nothing they could do to help us. Now all I can do is keep my receipt and wait for the recall to get reimbursed. It's sad because I really liked Nissan up until this point. No more Nissans for us.

Sentra has repeated problems with start and stop/start and stop. Also, stuttering at traffic lights and when traffic stops. Early replacement of strut bearings and battery. Push to start many times will not activate. Our vehicle only has just under 17,000 miles on it and we have had it just over 2 years. Has been in and out for service continually since 12/15. Last time left it for 11 days and still having the push to start problems and the start/stop problems too. If you are considering a Sentra go online and check out all of the customer complaints first but I personally recommend that you purchase another brand.

This is my 2nd vehicle purchase through Lithia Nissan of Fresno. My first car was a Versa Nissan 2014 and let me just say this car was very uncomfortable to the max so I couldn't wait to trade it in. I finally did and I got my Nissan Sentra 2015, drove nice, so much roomier and comfy. I love my car but here it is, my car is at 21700 miles. Mind you I purchase my car with only a little over 100 miles on it. Drove it off the lot in March of 2015 and I'm having all sorts of issues from high idling way above 2 rpm and I hear a knock sound when I hit the brakes and now when I accelerate. And I also notice when I give it gas, it goes super slow. I would use Sport but it drinks up my gas and it doesn't seem to go into gear right and it wobbles when I give it gas.

I mean this is terrible to deal with when you purchase a new vehicle in which I'm still paying on. I'm on my way to Lithia right now and to give them a piece of my mind. And I'm not leaving until they figure it out either I want a refund or another vehicle. If they can fix it, I need a loaner. I'm not going to play with these people at all. I feel unsafe driving my family in a vehicle that's set to be a death trap and that's how I feel behind the wheel driving my vehicle. I also would like to express the fact that when I take my vehicle in for a oil change which I have free lifetime oil change and vehicle courtesy inspection, the service dept never seems to find anything wrong. But when I check my vehicle my coolant is low, tires never aired up right and it sometimes drives funny after I just got an oil change. This makes me think that the people who service my car don't do their job at all.

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Sentra as my second vehicle. Since I already had a 2005 Nissan Titan and had not had any major problems with it, I decided to return to Nissan. Unfortunately, I have now had the car approximately 3 years and the transmission is malfunctioning and needs to be exchanged. I was referred to the Nissan Corporation by the service department representative from our local Nissan dealership, since the vehicle is still fairly new, but was told that they would not be doing anything for me because it has 92,000 miles and am over my extended warranty of 75,000 miles. Not to mention, the representative's demeanor was rude and continued to ask "what would you like for us to do for you?"

All in all, I am stuck with the bill, having been quoted over $4200 in repairs. This is very unfortunate since I have been a loyal Nissan customer and have referred many friends to Nissan. I have begun doing the opposite and steered anyone from purchasing a Nissan, not just for their poor car manufacturing and lack of quality but also for their poor customer service. I will not be returning to this manufacture and cannot wait to repair my car so I can trade it in for Subaru.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Nissan needs to do a recall! We bought our 2015 Nissan Sentra less than 6 months ago brand new and it is already at the dealership getting a new transmission after only 19k miles. This is absolutely insane! Our whole reason for buying a new vehicle was to avoid this, at least for a few years...and here we are. Thankfully it is covered under warranty, but from the looks of the other reviews this problem is likely to happen again. We are going to try to get out of this vehicles as soon as we can. DO NOT BUY A NISSAN if you want a reliable vehicle!

I have a 2014 Nissan Sentra SR where the transmission stop working. A car stalled but not before jerking while driving even in cruise control. Car had to be towed to dealership. My car just crossed the 60,000 mark which basically put the powertrain under warranty. Apparently there is a problem with temperature of the CVT fluid which makes the transmission fail when the engine is hot. This is not the first time the performance of the car has been compromised. I was told nothing was wrong before. The bigger problem so far is the once the vehicle cooled down the transmission seemed to kick in. This is a total inconvenience and Nissan needs to own some responsibility. There is an obvious issue with Nissan transmissions. Please post more issue to gain more awareness.

I bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra that currently has 26k miles. Last week I experienced the engine completely dying when I was at a stop sign at a very busy intersection. The car would come on, but as soon as I tried to put it in Reverse or Drive, it completely died. I was able to get out of the road and was required to tow the vehicle to the nearest Nissan Service Center. No lights or warnings ever came on. The tow truck driver said he'd never seen a car do something like that.

When we got to the service center the car was fine. The employee never even popped the hood. He said it looked fine and drove fine. I was frustrated after being on the side of the road but continued on my trip. What else could I do? I was 2 hours from home and 2 hours from my meeting for work. It was fine for about 250 more miles and then I really started having issues. My RPMS were bouncing and going nuts which was causing the car to jerk hard. It felt like the engine was 'catching' now and then just to keep up with me driving.

By the time I made it home I could hear parts flapping under the hood. Apparently the whole transmission is blown and it is in the shop at Nissan now. This is a 2014 model Sentra with 26k miles. Thank goodness it's under warranty, but I can't afford this to happen again when it's not. I travel a lot for work and thought I was buying a safe vehicle. After reading these reviews, I will be trading this vehicle in somewhere else after it is repaired. I don't trust the product.

We bought a 2013 Nissan Sentra and 3,000 miles over our warranty, the transmission locks up tight without any warning lights coming on to let us know there was an issue. The only warning lights that ever came on was "low washer fluid" and "low tire pressure". We were told that our transmission should've been recalled so we really had our hopes up but "Nissan Consumer Affairs" shot us down twice. I have reports from Jenkins Nissan in Brunswick, GA that said it was a transmission defect for it to lock up this tight... But still we were denied. Nissan has a defective transmission and a defective warning panel that doesn't even give us prior warning. We just had Hurricane Matthew come through here and we thought we had bad gas because the car was sputtering, but still no warning lights.

I am stating, and have proof that Nissan Sentra has a faulty transmission and I am warning everyone I know. I am requesting a RECALL!!! You have significant amount of consumer complaints and Nissan needs to make it right. Please call me ** and I will give you all proof you need. Jenkins notes state "No DCT's

stored in the transmission or engine control modules. Transmission has a torque converter failure." This transmission locked up just like the 282 other complaints on transmission failure. Nissan needs to step up and make this right. Good hardworking people are buying their product and being thrown to the wolves. We bought our car from Nalley, Brunswick, GA 31520...

My daughter bought a 2015 Nissan Sentra brand new in Nov 2015. It has 81,000 miles on it now and recently now has this jerk that is gradually getting worse. When accelerating the RPMs go above 4 and jerks a few times then which seems like it goes in gear. Every time you speed up it jerks. This is crazy, but after reading all these comments of the transmission going out, I'm afraid that's where our Sentra is heading. I don't have 3,000 dollars laying around to fix it either! I think if they see more complaints about bad transmission they will be forced to do something. The other thing I wanted to mention is that I wanted to see if the transmission need more transmission oil, but that could not be done as you have to have specific tools to open it and check it and only the dealership can check it! SOL!!!

I bought my 2013 Nissan Sentra SL in 2014 with 12,500 miles on it. I noticed over the last six months or so that the rpms were revving up to 4 or 5 at times. I use sport mode sometimes and have always noticed that it caused the car to act funny when braking in sport mode. It would rev up and then almost "release" when braking. This past month, the car started jerking when changing gears, revving more, and even lost power when I pulled out onto the road. I was pressing the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and the car would not hardly move. It took a minute or so to start accelerating over 20 mph. Took it to the dealer, and they said it needed a transmission control module update for $98.

I did that, and the revving seemed to get worse. Two days of driving it, and the car lost power again and would not accelerate. It kicked in, and I went straight to the dealership. It was Thursday, and they made an appointment for the following Monday. By the time I dropped the car off, it was jerking hard when going from reverse to drive. They called me later to say I needed a new transmission. The car is 3 years old with 84,000 miles on it. Thankfully I have an extended warranty, and they just approved the replacement. I did some research, and it seems that a lot of people have trouble with the CVT transmission. Nissan really should do a recall. I hope this car will last until I have paid it off so I can run to trade it.

I purchased my 2012 Nissan Sentra in late 2013 and now I'm sitting in the Nissan dealer in Iris Dr in Conyers Ga being told my transmission is shot. Nissan HOW do you explain a 3 year old car with 120k miles transmission dying on the side of the road? I want my car fixed. As a disabled person in Ga I need my car. This is UNFAIR to your customers. With all the NISSAN transmission complaints why is there no RECALL?

I recently purchased a 2014 Sentra SV from the Balboa CarMax with 40,000 miles. It now has 44,000 and I too am experiencing the same transmission issue. Like really! I've had the car for less than a month. I haven't even received my DMV information! I'm taking it into the dealership today because I too was pressured into buying this vehicle and was assured that it was a very reliable good car and no open recalls were on it. I should have opened Google right then and looked up issues on my phone to verify for myself. But I'm a trusting person and went ahead with purchasing the vehicle.

I didn't buy an extended warranty and it's just out of manufacturer warranty. Hopefully they will take the time frame into consideration and let me get a comparable vehicle that isn't a Nissan??? If not I guess I'm with the masses just sitting and waiting for someone to die in a tragic incident instead of just recalling their death traps before something happens. Let's prevent a tragedy please Nissan!

I bought a brand new 2013 Nissan Sentra with 25 miles. I've had this car for 3 years with 71,000 miles and now the transmission is hard shifting, sometime no shifting, racing, hesitation when accelerating. Took it to Nissan dealership and now they are telling me the transmission needs replacing at my expense ($3,200.00). Nissan should totally be responsible for this repair. I've never heard of a 3 year old car needing a new transmission.

Well I bought my 2015 Nissan Sentra in Jan 2016 brand new and ever since I got it it has been giving me problems. First the transmission started acting weird like it would start idling at stop lights so West Covina Nissan where I purchased it at fixed it. Then it happened again. They didn't fix it, they said it was normal. I could keep going with the problems I've been having with my Sentra but it's too much to type. lol. I just don't recommend no one to buy a Nissan... seriously???

Purchased the 2015 Sentra in April of 2015. Right off the bat started having problems with RPMs and losing power on steep hill climbing. Once you start the climb and then slow down and accelerate again the RPMs start bouncing from 2 to 4 and the car loses power and it takes a while to get back up to speed again. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the problem sooo... just like everyone else I am getting nowhere with the dealership and am afraid I will be in the same boat as all the other reviews with a no care and no fix attitude. It now has 36000 miles on it and I do have an extended warranty to 100000 miles, but what is the point if they replace it with the same crappy transmission it originally had. I don't know!!!

I didn't like the high pressure sales pitch when I went in in the first place. No wonder - they knew they had to cause they were selling a crappy product and if I left w/o buying I might just go home and review it and never come back! I had a Corolla for 165000 miles and finally sold it cause of the transmission but it still started and ran like a trooper. I now wish I had spent the 2k to replace it and kept it. Never again will I sway from a Toyota. Don't know what is going to happen now with this new car??? Probably just sell it, take the loss and be done with cause it sure looks like neither Nissan or Consumer Affairs will do nothing about it!

It was purchased thru Metro Nissan in Montclair, CA. You can verify the purchase by using my name and calling the dealership. So sad because it is a nice car and rides nice. I think I will look into the Lemon Law. I hate getting ripped off! Hopefully something will come along and make Nissan accountable. Hopefully not a death!

I bought my 2012 Nissan Sentra in 2013 with 8,000 miles on it. Now 3 years later, February 2016, i have had my fuse block replaced at NIssan. And now I have been told that I have thrown a rod, engine blown, and that it was catastrophic failure. How can this be? I have had regular oil changes and my most recent one was only 3 weeks ago. I had no warning, no noise, no warning lights. Last Monday, I was driving on the highway 9 p.m. by myself when all of a sudden my car RPM shot up, my engine started losing power, then I heard a weird "puff, puff, puff" noise and I barely made it off the highway before the radiator started spewing, and then I felt a big thud in the front of my car. I was sitting along the highway, at night with semi-trucks and cars flying by. I only had my hazard lights. I was scared and angry, sitting by the highway hating Nissan for making such a piece of junk.

I see so many complaints about Nissan Sentra transmissions and engines. What the hell is going on and why hasn't NIssan done anything about all of these failures? We are all being put in danger. I now wish I would have never bought this car. NIssan made a bunch of crappy cars and will not own up to it. I will never buy NIssan ever again. Please Consumer Affairs, do something to make this right.

I got my Nissan Sentra sl 2013 with 9,000 miles on it. Kept it well maintained. At 25,000 my battery went out. I went to autozone to get it check they told me the battery that was on my car was not the original battery. At 30,000 miles I would hear a squeaking sound coming from my brakes. Took it to les schwab for a free brake check. The whole rear brake was falling apart. I got it replaced my brakes are good. At 50,000 miles my Sentra would not accelerate when I would step on the gas. My rpms were up to 7 going no more than 60 mph.My best friend has a nissan sentra sr 2013 so I thought to call her to see if she has had the same problem. She said yes. She recommended me not to drive your car and get a transmission flush. So I did.

For the first couple of days it ran smoothly. THEN AGAIN. When I stopped at a light or anywhere and I tried to accelerate it takes up to 20 seconds to catch speed and when it does it takes off a lil too fast. My check engine light keeps coming on and when I take it in to get it check nothing comes up. It's so sad and frustrating that I (23 year old) have to make payment on a car I thought would get me around or last me while and now I have to spend more money on it when I haven't even payed it off completely. Worst ** investment ever. Thanks nissan now me and my 1 year old don't have a form of transportation. I think we should all sue nissan for selling ** cars.

We recently purchased a 2015 Nissan Sentra with 1900 miles. We had to return the vehicle three times for service. We had to replace the brakes after it has only been driven 2000 miles. The car was brought back by the previous owner which we do not have any knowledge of why, and the owner returned the vehicle at some point in time. The dealership does not care about how many hours we have spent and wasted of our time. They offer no compensation for the horrible purchasing experience we have had and the lemon they have sold us. Nissan is making a horrible product and needs to be held accountable for the defective cars they are selling to people.

My 2013 Nissan Sentra hit 62,000 miles and my transmission is failing and needs to be replaced. I have seen so many dissatisfied people with this same issue. Is there a recall started? How many of us have to suffer before it is recalled?

I have a 2013 Nissan Sentra SV that I bought with 17k miles. Right now it has 66k miles on it and now I got the famed p0846 and p0965 code on it, which means that it needs a new transmission. If anybody would ask me for advice on buying a vehicle, I would first point out nissan as a brand to avoid. My quote for replacing cvt is no less than $3000 at the moment. And I am out of warranty. I have ever been doing a lot of research and found out that there are many other people going through the same thing as me. Why hasn't nissan done a recall for complete cvt replacement. Not just some little duct tape patch job reprogramming of the cvt. Many who have gotten the reprogramming performed on their vehicles still needed the transmission replaced shortly after.

I bought my 2015 Sentra SV in late July 2016. It was used, with 32,000 miles. Two weeks after I got the car, the check engine light came on. I was also having a problem with the car acting as if it were going to die. Didn't matter if I was driving or stopped. It had no power whatsoever. I took it in, the dealer said that the engine light was on because a filter needed cleaning in the engine. And the resistance I was feeling while driving was due to the CVT. I thought he was wrong, but I am not a mechanic. Fast forward one month, which is now. The car literally almost died while I was driving. I can't even merge onto a road until there are NO cars in sight because the car takes what feels like 5 minutes to get to 30mph. I took it to dealer, they called me late afternoon and said I needed a new transmission. How does this happen to a car that is one year old! Unacceptable. DO NOT BUY A NISSAN.

I purchased a 2016 Nissan Sentra and less than 2 weeks the car is giving me problems. The first storm came and my window won't go down. Salesman told me to call service and make an appointment. Later the same day the car begin to stall when trying to accelerate on a highway and up steep hills. At this point I want a refund or a different car. For this to be a brand new car and under two weeks of having it but no. I was told no. I can trade but that would cost even more. I once again called the salesman only this time no answer. Left a message and a text message and got no response. So I decided to go to the dealership only to be passed around from person to person. I was told to bring the car in on that Monday. End result the window was fixed, no codes came on the computer and the air bag needed to be reset. Overall the worst customer service ever and still stuck with the car.

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Sentra brand new with only 8 miles on the odometer. I took my car in for a recall on a needed software update to the CVT Transmission in May of 2016 and it's now September 2016 and just got a quote to replace the entire transmission. I am highly disturbed that a 3yr old car would have problems but I am even more bothered that Nissan would allow this to continue to happen if it's a known issue. I am a diehard Nissan supporter and even now have faith that Nissan will step up to the plate and keep their brand 5 star. I think Nissan needs to go back to their R&D department and figure this CVT issue out and in the meantime take care of their owners. - Nissan Owner/Supporter on the edge

I am back on this for the 3rd time, I have had three new transmissions replaced on my 2013 Nissan Sentra within 10 months!!!! First 2 covered under warranty 3rd covered under extended warranty. Now problems again!! I have lost complete power while going 65 on the highway, trucks flying by me etc. I can't drive in traffic that is bumper to bumper, my car will jerk or stall. I bring it in and they say they can't replicate the problem then a week later it dies on the highway so I have to go through the ordeal of a tow each time. Maybe when someone dies they will acknowledge the problem!!!

I purchased my 2013 Sentra new. After my first month's service I told the service people that the transmission seemed to be louder than other vehicles that I've had. The service guy told me that all the Sentras have that sound and I took him for his word. The car drove fine until I reached 59,000 miles. I noticed the car would lose power even when I accelerated. That was scary because one time I was on the beltway during rush hour. Fortunately, there was a median that I pulled to. I put the car in park and waited a while and the car drove normally.

Once I got off of the beltway I noticed the car wasn't shifting normal. It appeared to be slipping when it shifted to 2nd gear. When I would approach a stop sign or stop light the transmission would slip at 2nd gear. If I accelerated up a steep hill the car would not go out of 2nd gear. When I decelerate down a hill the vehicle transmission would feel like it was not in the proper gear and sputter. I also smelled a metallic smell.

I reported the vehicle issues to the dealer and scheduled a service check. They told me the problem was my rear tail light. They said somehow condensation was coming into the light assembly which has a green circuit board like in an electronic device which was causing the malfunction. Of course the tail light was out of warranty and they said they could replace the tail light for $400+. I declined their service and went online to research it myself. I found out there were a lot of customers who have the same issue with the transmission and tail light that I have. However, Nissan will not address their tail light issue.

Being that the tail light was not under warranty, I went online and purchased a brand new tail light and installed it myself. Since then the vehicle hasn't lost any power while driving but the CVT transmission is still malfunctioning. It still slips while shifting to 2nd gear. It still shifts rough while decelerating down hills. It still gets stuck in 2nd gear when going up steep hills. I now have over 60,500 miles which takes it out of warranty. I have scheduled a service for the vehicle and hope that they can fix the issue.

Being that the transmission issues were brought to their attention at 59,000 miles I hope that they honor this as a continued issue. In my research they extended the transmission warranty to earlier models from 60,000 to 100,000 due to issues. Nissan Sentras are great on gas and spacious for their size. If they would just address the CVT transmission the vehicle would be great. I mean come on!!! The vehicle is only 3 years old!!! No one should be going through this!!! Hopefully they will take our complaints serious, purchasing a vehicle is a major investment and the customers feel violated right now. If a dealer tries to sell you a vehicle and uses the word "CVT Transmission" I recommend to leave the dealer immediately.

2013 Nissan Sentra - I've owned this car for 3 years & the transmission has gone out. I used to love Nissan's but this CVT transmission is junk. We need Consumer Affairs to speak up for us & get rid of these Nissan transmissions.

I purchased my new Nissan Sentra SR 2014 in Sept. of 2014. I now have 14000 miles at almost 2 years old. I have transmission problems already. I sat at dealership over 5 hours, took it in for airbag passenger light recall, oil change and tire rotation and noise infront. Nothing got done but was told it was transmission and I'd get a new one next week. It was safe to drive. They would give me a loaner car. I'm thinking out of all the cars I have had a new car with 14000 miles in 2 years shouldn't have transmission issues. Frustrated as I thought I was buying a reliable car. Am a senior citizen and thought I'd have this car till I couldn't drive anymore. I have one more year left on warranty 3 year extended warranty and lifetime powertrain. Should I trade it in on a Toyota???

I have had problems with the transmission after driving for an hour my car will lose power and not accelerate over 60 mph. I can have the pedal pushed to the floor and it still won't go. I've had my car checked and they say nothing is wrong and there are no recalls.This is extremely dangerous when driving on the highway and youre car just won't accelerate on you and you have 18 wheelers behind you. I'm very concerned about this for not only my safety but my children's also. Nissan will not do anything about this and now the better business bureau will be involved on this issue. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER NISSAN AND WILL MAKE SURE NONE OF MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS DO NOT EITHER!!!! It's sad that they are not concerned with their customers and the danger this can cause.

Well, I guess it's my turn. I bought my Nissan Sentra 2014 in 2015 with 7,000 miles give or take on it. At 20,000 the transmission blew!!! HUH! I took it to Nissan where they said they were giving me a "new" transmission. I pick the car up but still does not work properly. At this point, I do not feel safe in the car. Nissan Northeast also informed me that there was a recall on my seat belts R1608, so please be mindful of that recall because I did not even receive notification until I called Consumer Affairs about my transmission. I am very disappointed in Nissan. I will never buy another. I should have stayed with Toyota... Oh by the way I am still in a Loaner Car.

Nissan Sentra Company Profile