3.9/5 (255 ratings)

About Kia Forte

The Kia Forte is an affordable compact sedan. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Forte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Christopher **, salesman, is friendly, provides excellent customer services. Very helpful with assisting with a car within the budget. I highly recommend Chris ** to reach out if you’re looking a a new vehicle or simply wanting to upgrade to a newer vehicle.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have a 2014 Kia with 50000 miles it started to use some oil so I took it to the dealership that it was purchased at. They preformed a oil test 3 times and told me that nothing was wrong that Kia just makes bad engines and they do use oil. My granddaughter was driving only about 100 miles a week and now it uses 2 quarts a week. I put in a complaint with Kia and they closed the ticket without making contact with me. I then emailed the top executive at Kia and never heard back from him either. Do yourself a favor and if you are thinking about buying a Kia don’t do it as you will have regrets.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I’ve leaded 3 Kia Fortes since 2014. My first was a 2015 and I LOVED it! Traded it in at the end for a 2018 Forte, duh. Some annoying problems with the 2018 included heat that took 27 minutes to start every time you got in, fluid sensors didn’t work correctly, and the Sirius satellite radio wouldn’t work on rainy days. It would say “Satellite Start-Up Error”. Service department had never seen that message before dealing with my car... many times. (Service department was always excellent & responsive, though!) The car ended up getting new fluid sensors, new engine thermostat and 2 new Sirius radios. Then I noticed a leak. I had it at that point! The car always drive really well but there was always one annoying issue after another during the 1 1/2 yrs I had it. I got the dealership to take my lease back and they gave me a 2019 model instead. Yay! So I thought...

Serious problem now. I’ve had it 5 months, just hit 3,800 miles, and my car lost it’s transmission when I got on the freeway on Saturday. It began on backroads first. The car was shaking as it hit 1,000 rpms, then started shaking each time it hit 2,000 rpms, then I merged onto the highway and the rpms went out of control, jumping to 6-8 rpms with barely any pressure on the gas pedal and no acceleration. I barely made it to an exit ramp since I couldn’t get above 15 mph. Scary. Kia Roadside Assistance was great and towed to closest dealership. Dealership said yes, it’s the transmission. However, it’s been 3 days and this dealersip could care less about getting me a loaner or rental. My own dealership said these guys should definitely be finding me a car but nothing so far...

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

The insurance rates are double the VW Jetta and very unsafe. I began driving my Kia Forte a couple weeks ago and must say it’s the biggest mistake I have made in a long time. The lane assist is extremely dangerous. The car tried to correct me into parked cars as I passed the coming down 5th Street mountain in Emmaus, PA. It finally succeeded in pulling me off of my driveway and into a small pile of rocks. The impact was at 5 to 10 mph and the rock that did the damage was about 150 lbs. This little impact caused over $ 3000 in damage. The front bumper covers shattered and the radiator was leaking.

I am very worried about being stuck driving this car for the next 3 years of my lease. Especially since I transport my two young daughters frequently. Please don’t be fooled to think the lane assist is safe and don’t believe the sales people when they tell you that KIA have very little problems. And as far as insurance rates. You should buy a better slightly more expensive car and the lower rates will off-set. I am so disappointed and wish I could terminate my lease.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

My wife and I bought a 2017 Forte lx in August of 2019, and have never felt like we made a bad decision. Great power from the engine, responsive and an overall joy to drive. We were in the market 6 months later to replace my car now and we couldn’t shake the feeling like we were making mistake looking at any other car company besides Kia. So, three days ago we got another Forte to match!!! Never thought I would like a Korean car with a Vtec Mitsubishi engine that was assembled in Mexico!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Bought a Kia Forte 2019 lxs in May just over 4,000 miles and car starts grinding and rpms go sky high but when you press the gas car doesn't want to go. The car was not like this when I bought it. They tell me this is how a cvt transmission is then why wasn't it doing this when I bought it, not happy with their saying nothing is wrong, every time it does it I will take it back I see to many people have complaints of the same nature, same year to

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Bought this car new less than 2 months ago. Shortly after 3000 miles the transmission stops pulling. It's with the dealer now for a replacement but I've lost confidence in the manufacturing. Don't want another KIA... ever again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Beware: Our teenage daughter bought her first new car with her own hard earned money. It’s been in the shop for 4-5 months out of approximately 18 months for transmission issues. Once this new transmission goes in, it will be the 3rd transmission in 21,000 miles! First one went at 3,000 miles. 2nd one went 18,000 miles later. We don’t feel as though this car is safe for her to drive anymore but we can’t afford to eat the $10,000 that she has invested of her own money! She made a large down payment on her 16th birthday so needless to save this makes us sick. Not to mention the unsafety of this vehicle! Both times it completely went while it was being driven to the point that she almost couldn’t make it home. It was very scary for her!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I recently bought a 19 Kia Forte. It's less then 4 months old and has 6000 miles on it due to commuting. It now needs a new transmission. Overall the car has been great until this. I lost acceleration on the freeway and struggled to make it to the shoulder before the engine light came on and the car would not drive at all. The dealership has been awesome. Kia consumers was awful and did not care at all. I'm also not the only person to report this exact issue. Be aware.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I bought a new Kia Forte 2019 two months ago. I’m barely over 2000 miles and my car starts stuttering and the RPM’s are fluctuating wildly. I take it to the dealership and they claim that’s how a CVT transmission drives. That same night, I’m doing about 70mph on the interstate. My car can not accelerate. I press the gas pedal and the RPM’s are shooting from 2000 to 4000 erratically. My car is making a grinding noise from under the engine. Its transmission failed. I’ve since seen on consumer sites that transmission failure is a common occurrence with 2019 models. I’d strongly recommend to future car shoppers to look into a different brand. This type of manufacturer error is dangerous and irresponsible of the company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I bought a 2020 Forte. I have 1000 km and the dealer have to change my transmission. Kia have a big problem with this model. The dealer will keep my car for 6 week for repair. WoW. Should have bought a Corolla.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Bought our Kia used and love it. Plenty of pep and the features are great. We especially like the seamless bluetooth. We like this car so much that we look for Kias whenever we get any rentals. The seats are super comfortable for bigger peeps. Great gas mileage and trunk space.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Best deal for any car if you're budget conscious but want quality. Kia is the way to go. I did a lot of shopping. I heard a lot of negative complaints on Korean cars. So far own a year no issues at all.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Great car. Minor maintenance repairs but otherwise no big issues as long as well maintained and ready for road trips whenever possible. Thanks Kia for a really great car at a great price. Had car for 2 years now.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I needed a car to commute 820 miles per two-week pay period. I also wanted a sedan to make it easier when my children or grandchildren rode with me on other days. This car has a feature that displays the gas mileage of the last drive whenever you turn off the key. Imagine my surprise when it consistently read 45mpg at the end of each trip. In the Summer, it has read as high as 50. In the Winter, it reads as low as 39. Its bluetooth capability sends phone calls through the radio even when the radio is off! And I can control the volume of the call (or radio) through a fingertip control on the steering wheel. This car is everything I wanted or needed in a car and more.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We are pleased with the 30+ mpg we get in city driving and the 39 mpg on the highway. Sprightly mid-size with enough trunk room for 3-4 suitcases. Back seat could go down further to allow transport of large items.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

My Kia Forte has been in and out of the shop now. And they have had my car for about 3 weeks now. Today I go in and check on it and the lady that was working said oh the car is ready and nothing much else we can do. About 3 weeks ago it died on the highway. And wouldn’t start up. It took me about 3 times to get it started. My wheel locked up. I couldn’t put it in Neutral. I’m putting my full force into trying to get it off the highway. Finally got it started as traffic was coming up to me. They said they couldn’t get it to Replicate what happened. And they did the software update once again and gave me my keys. Kia has gave me the go around. Lied to me. Treated me horribly. And just don’t listening to what I have to say. I went to headquarters and corporate and still nothing. I’ve had enough. I’ve had many different things that had happened to my car and still no answers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Purchased a new 2020 Forte after owning a 2013 model. The new car is such a downgrade. It lacks many features that my previous forte had and feels very cheaply assembled. Less than 1 month ownership I had to take it back to the dealer for very minor issues such as the driver's side fuse panel cover falling off, rear seats won’t stay up and locked, and now the weather seals on the door had rips already. The car is painfully slow. It cant get out of its own way. The cvt transmission is horribly sluggish that it makes it very difficult to merge with other cars on the highway. I really wish I still kept my ‘13 forte instead of this junk. I just cant wait to pay it off so I can get rid of it. The only real positive thing is the 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty, you cant beat that!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My Kia Forte's engine went bad. Kia replaced it. They also insisted that I replace the hoses and belt. I refused. 5 days later the car overheated on the highway and had to be towed back to their shop. The belt was still intact. I believe it was not tightened properly. Anyway - in the shop again.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I purchased my 2015 Forte EX at 31,096 miles from Carvana with a clean Carfax and full maintenance history performed at a Kia dealership. The car was magnificent at first, fully loaded, 173 horsepower GDi (the GDi... More on that in a moment) engine, it was a great car. I performed all maintenance as according to the owners manual, and guess what? Engine seized due to lack of oil and bearing failure. How? Metal shavings left in the engine blocked oil passages. Kia acknowledged the issue, acknowledged the car was maintained and replaced the engine.

Here's the best part: they're replacing it with a 161 horsepower unit. I'm losing 12 horsepower and 9 lb ft of torque. I'm just supposed to be ok with my car having a way less powerful engine, when I bought it based on the fact it was rather quick. Not to mention, my alarm no longer works and my window switch is broken. I didn't drop it off like that. The dealer, nor Kia care. They gave me a new engine that sucks, and isn't even the same engine I had. It's a totally different GDi. Abysmal. I'm lucky in the fact the car was always maintained at a Kia dealership, and this is precisely why I do that. In case something like this happens, I've got proof directly on the Carfax.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I honestly loved my 2014 Kia Forte, and thought it was a very reliable, fuel efficient and safe car. It did everything I needed it do and had no mechanical issues. Then I discovered mysterious wet spots and mold growing in my car, underneath the driver's seat and in the floor board behind it. I also discovered mold in the trunk in multiple locations. After having it inspected at the dealership which I purchased it from, I was told the tail light assembly leaks water into the trunk and they would repair it.

The water from the trunk had traveled underneath the back seat onto the carpeting in the back seat floorboard and underneath the driver's side carpets. Mold has formed throughout the car and the SMELL is awful. Rust spots have began forming in the trunk on the painted surfaces that are visible (and not visible areas I am certain). Mold has been growing underneath the carpeted mat and rubber mat over the spare tire within the trunk. The dealership actuallty made the leak so much WORSE by not repairing it correctly. They stated the leak was the result of a 'factory defect' but the 'recommended repair' did not stop the leak, and in fact made it worse, FLOODING my car 2 days in a row during rainy weather. There was over 2 gallons of water that had to be shop vacced out of the floor of my car immediately after the repairs were made.

The local dealership has had my car for over 2 months now and the repairs and the removal of all mold and ruined carpeting still have not been addressed. The service manager at Dean McCrary Mazda does not communicate and rarely responds. This is truly very disappointing as the dealership has effectively RUINED my car due to a faulty repair, which they blame on a 'manufacturer's defect'. I have also been touch with KIA CORPORATE, who blames the dealership for the damages that are a result of the leaking, and states poor workmanship on their part. I do NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING ANY KIA, especially the KIA FORTE!

I have looked online and there are numerous complaints about the leak in the trunk of multiple Kia Forte models. Corporate will not take responsibility and the local dealership is trying to blame corporate, so I am caught in the middle with nothing being resolved regarding my flooded vehicle that has now been ruined by mold & water damage. Kia does NOT stand by their products, do not purchase a KIA, nor does DDean McCrary Mazda in Mobile, AL!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased a new 2014 Kia Forte in April of 2013. Not a lot of problems with it. Brakes seems to wear out quickly, always something extra needed to be done when I took it for the oil changes and maintenance. Tires seem to wear out as soon as warranty was up. In beginning of 2019, we had lots of rain. I noticed that the seats were wet. Long story short the tail light seals broke and flooded the car trunk and mold was growing in the car (I had recently had tail lights replaced there). Under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty it was not covered because the 5 years was up. I paid to have the tail lights seals replaced. Kia Consumer Affairs called about a month later and told me they were going to cover the cost and have the mold removed and reimburse me the cost for the tail light seals. I sent in all the paperwork and never heard anything back from them.

When I called them back, the person who had called me refused to call me back and I was told by someone else she made a mistake and it would not be covered. Luckily my dealership stepped up and covered the cost of the mold removal and cleaned my car. April of 2019 the car started using oil. Took it to the dealer and as told to do an oil consumption test. Took it back after the test, was told that I needed a new engine.

Luckily it is covered under the warranty and they are covering the cost of a rental car. However the engine is on international back order. It may be in at the first of July. I took it to the dealer for every oil change (on time) and every repair or maintenance check. The engine should not have gone bad at 59000 miles. I will not be buying another Kia. I don't want to risk getting another car with Engine problems and or any other problems. I have to say that the Service Department in Clarksville Indiana is great. They have gone above and beyond to make things right. Too bad Kia Motors does not have the same dedication to their vehicles.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I'm the second owner of a 2013 Kia Forte SX 2.4L. I was driving home from work at highway speeds when I heard a loud knock from the front of the vehicle. I was almost home when I noticed there was decrease in acceleration, the cars rpms dropped to 0mph and the car died, luckily I was able to pull the car off the road. The engine is blown. The car has 131k miles, and was well maintained, had a oil change every 3k miles.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Forte Koup SX in 2016. The car had 16000 miles. I had done research and was excited when I found this car. I loved the car, at first. Started experiencing loss of power. Car would not accelerate. The navigation display just quit working one day. At about 66000 miles I had gotten off the freeway to get gas. I noticed the loss of power. Usually shutting off the car would remedy the problem. But after getting gas I headed back to the freeway. I noticed smoke so I pulled off, got out and did a walk around, didn't see anything. Popped the hood, nothing to cause concern.

I continued, I looked in the rearview mirror and smoke just billowing. No warning lights on the dash, the car was still driving. Once I got off the freeway and got parked then engine light came on and the smoke was coming from both exhausts. Called the dealership. They automatically asked if it was an Optima. They were surprised to hear it was the Koup. After the dealership having it for over a month to replace the turbo. A bolt that that holds the turbo had spun off. The engine light is still on. A code that reads Over Advanced Cam is still coming up. They did replace the display and was determined that it was faulty. Very disappointed and many more details that can't be covered here.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I love my 2017 Kia Forte LX!! As of this writing my Forte is about 2 years olds with 50,000 miles and counting. I average 42 mpg about 90% hwy miles. I've only done normal maintenance and a tire change. I really, truly love this car and fully intend to drive it for the next 10 years.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We purchased a 2018 Kia Forte in July of 2018, everything was going good with the car, until about 3 months ago. I noticed that I keep smelling coolant, so I tried to find out where the leak was. After looking for several days I found the leak. I had to take it back to the dealership and have the radiator replaced, at this time the car had less than 23000 miles on it. So last night I stop to fill my tank up after leaving work (I only use EXXON or Mobil1 gas as they are the same), filled the tank, got in the car started the engine and the engine light came on. The car has less than 25000 miles on it and already I have had 2 separate warranty issues.

I have contacted Kia Motors USA to start a file on the vehicle because I just have a sneaky suspicion that I will only have more issues with the vehicle. My main concern is that something major will happen once the warranty has expired and I'll be stuck paying for a major repair. My advice is buy another more reliable vehicle. Good Luck if you buy the 2018 Kia Forte.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased 2018 Kia Forte with 16000 miles from used car dealer in Chantilly, VA on April 26, 2019. It failed MD State inspection. Inspector found cracks due in all four Rotors. I contacted two of the Kia dealers (one in Bowie and 2nd in Bel Air). Both dealers refused to accept that it is covered under warranty. Cost to replace the rotors is $750.00 per inspection station. I will never recommend to buy this car.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have a 2012 Kia Forte Koup. Has 133K miles that I made sure to keep in great condition, my car looks brand new. Well last week as my husband and I were driving to Apple Valley which was almost a 2 hr drive... the exit before we were going to get off the freeway my car started acting weird losing power. All the dash lights came on. Lost ALL power. Almost crashed because the brakes were out. Had to use the E Brake to stop and we were stranded on the freeway. Bought a new battery thinking that was the issue, but NO the car needs a NEW engine which is about $3500-4000.

Reached out to Kia and they aren't willing to help in ANY WAY. I work for Kelley blue book and thought I was getting a good car. However after this happened I look online and see the 2012 was the worst year for these cars and tons of people have had to have their engines replaced outta nowhere after a 100k miles. NEVER will buy another KIA again! These are horrible and so is their customer service!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I got a 2014 Kia Forte in 2015 at 48000 miles. I got over 100000 miles a few months ago and my engine is making a ticking noise (almost sounds like paper in a fan). I decided to go to the dealership a few months ago. The service guy gets in it and pretends not to hear anything and said if I keep hearing it to bring it back... Well it never left and it sounds a little louder (when I put my car in park it sounds like someone's old work truck) so I will be taking my car back to see why it is making that noise. I keep reading reviews and watched videos that had the same sound and a lot of people said their engines blew or need to be replaced... I can't afford either one to happen... now I'm worried about my car engine going out and don't know when it will happen before I take it back to the dealership.

Original review: April 28, 2019

I bought 2018 Forte in mid March, was very disappointed. For one thing my insurance skyrocketed over $300. I expected with buying newer car, my insurance would be same or little higher. The car was boring to drive. No one great thing in it, except Bluetooth. Was not fun "climbing" in and out. Once you're in there, it's more comfy to have to stay instead of in and out. I recently bought a 2018 Jeep Renegade and instantly my insurance dropped $170. Forte are nothing but high risk, in Florida, apparently. I would not recommend buying one in Florida but see a lot of people with them. So I drove it for 1 month, trying to get use to it, but couldn't. Glad I got rid of it, although didn't get what I paid for it being in excellent condition. That's ok, gone now. Buyer beware. I have NO idea how or why it gets such high ratings.

Kia Forte Company Information