2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.61/5

The Kia Forte is an affordable compact sedan. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Kia Forte Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I recently bought a 19 Kia Forte. It's less then 4 months old and has 6000 miles on it due to commuting. It now needs a new transmission. Overall the car has been great until this. I lost acceleration on the freeway and struggled to make it to the shoulder before the engine light came on and the car would not drive at all. The dealership has been awesome. Kia consumers was awful and did not care at all. I'm also not the only person to report this exact issue. Be aware.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I bought a new Kia Forte 2019 two months ago. I’m barely over 2000 miles and my car starts stuttering and the RPM’s are fluctuating wildly. I take it to the dealership and they claim that’s how a CVT transmission drives. That same night, I’m doing about 70mph on the interstate. My car can not accelerate. I press the gas pedal and the RPM’s are shooting from 2000 to 4000 erratically. My car is making a grinding noise from under the engine. Its transmission failed. I’ve since seen on consumer sites that transmission failure is a common occurrence with 2019 models. I’d strongly recommend to future car shoppers to look into a different brand. This type of manufacturer error is dangerous and irresponsible of the company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I bought a 2020 Forte. I have 1000 km and the dealer have to change my transmission. Kia have a big problem with this model. The dealer will keep my car for 6 week for repair. WoW. Should have bought a Corolla.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Great car. Minor maintenance repairs but otherwise no big issues as long as well maintained and ready for road trips whenever possible. Thanks Kia for a really great car at a great price. Had car for 2 years now.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We are pleased with the 30+ mpg we get in city driving and the 39 mpg on the highway. Sprightly mid-size with enough trunk room for 3-4 suitcases. Back seat could go down further to allow transport of large items.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

My Kia Forte has been in and out of the shop now. And they have had my car for about 3 weeks now. Today I go in and check on it and the lady that was working said oh the car is ready and nothing much else we can do. About 3 weeks ago it died on the highway. And wouldn’t start up. It took me about 3 times to get it started. My wheel locked up. I couldn’t put it in Neutral. I’m putting my full force into trying to get it off the highway. Finally got it started as traffic was coming up to me. They said they couldn’t get it to Replicate what happened. And they did the software update once again and gave me my keys. Kia has gave me the go around. Lied to me. Treated me horribly. And just don’t listening to what I have to say. I went to headquarters and corporate and still nothing. I’ve had enough. I’ve had many different things that had happened to my car and still no answers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Purchased a new 2020 Forte after owning a 2013 model. The new car is such a downgrade. It lacks many features that my previous forte had and feels very cheaply assembled. Less than 1 month ownership I had to take it back to the dealer for very minor issues such as the driver's side fuse panel cover falling off, rear seats won’t stay up and locked, and now the weather seals on the door had rips already. The car is painfully slow. It cant get out of its own way. The cvt transmission is horribly sluggish that it makes it very difficult to merge with other cars on the highway. I really wish I still kept my ‘13 forte instead of this junk. I just cant wait to pay it off so I can get rid of it. The only real positive thing is the 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty, you cant beat that!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My Kia Forte's engine went bad. Kia replaced it. They also insisted that I replace the hoses and belt. I refused. 5 days later the car overheated on the highway and had to be towed back to their shop. The belt was still intact. I believe it was not tightened properly. Anyway - in the shop again.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I purchased my 2015 Forte EX at 31,096 miles from Carvana with a clean Carfax and full maintenance history performed at a Kia dealership. The car was magnificent at first, fully loaded, 173 horsepower GDi (the GDi... More on that in a moment) engine, it was a great car. I performed all maintenance as according to the owners manual, and guess what? Engine seized due to lack of oil and bearing failure. How? Metal shavings left in the engine blocked oil passages. Kia acknowledged the issue, acknowledged the car was maintained and replaced the engine.

Here's the best part: they're replacing it with a 161 horsepower unit. I'm losing 12 horsepower and 9 lb ft of torque. I'm just supposed to be ok with my car having a way less powerful engine, when I bought it based on the fact it was rather quick. Not to mention, my alarm no longer works and my window switch is broken. I didn't drop it off like that. The dealer, nor Kia care. They gave me a new engine that sucks, and isn't even the same engine I had. It's a totally different GDi. Abysmal. I'm lucky in the fact the car was always maintained at a Kia dealership, and this is precisely why I do that. In case something like this happens, I've got proof directly on the Carfax.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I honestly loved my 2014 Kia Forte, and thought it was a very reliable, fuel efficient and safe car. It did everything I needed it do and had no mechanical issues. Then I discovered mysterious wet spots and mold growing in my car, underneath the driver's seat and in the floor board behind it. I also discovered mold in the trunk in multiple locations. After having it inspected at the dealership which I purchased it from, I was told the tail light assembly leaks water into the trunk and they would repair it.

The water from the trunk had traveled underneath the back seat onto the carpeting in the back seat floorboard and underneath the driver's side carpets. Mold has formed throughout the car and the SMELL is awful. Rust spots have began forming in the trunk on the painted surfaces that are visible (and not visible areas I am certain). Mold has been growing underneath the carpeted mat and rubber mat over the spare tire within the trunk. The dealership actuallty made the leak so much WORSE by not repairing it correctly. They stated the leak was the result of a 'factory defect' but the 'recommended repair' did not stop the leak, and in fact made it worse, FLOODING my car 2 days in a row during rainy weather. There was over 2 gallons of water that had to be shop vacced out of the floor of my car immediately after the repairs were made.

The local dealership has had my car for over 2 months now and the repairs and the removal of all mold and ruined carpeting still have not been addressed. The service manager at Dean McCrary Mazda does not communicate and rarely responds. This is truly very disappointing as the dealership has effectively RUINED my car due to a faulty repair, which they blame on a 'manufacturer's defect'. I have also been touch with KIA CORPORATE, who blames the dealership for the damages that are a result of the leaking, and states poor workmanship on their part. I do NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING ANY KIA, especially the KIA FORTE!

I have looked online and there are numerous complaints about the leak in the trunk of multiple Kia Forte models. Corporate will not take responsibility and the local dealership is trying to blame corporate, so I am caught in the middle with nothing being resolved regarding my flooded vehicle that has now been ruined by mold & water damage. Kia does NOT stand by their products, do not purchase a KIA, nor does DDean McCrary Mazda in Mobile, AL!!!!

Kia Forte Company Information