2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.50/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Kia Forte is an affordable compact sedan. Read more Kia reviews to learn about other models.

Kia Forte Reviews

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Great car. Minor maintenance repairs but otherwise no big issues as long as well maintained and ready for road trips whenever possible. Thanks Kia for a really great car at a great price. Had car for 2 years now.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

We are pleased with the 30+ mpg we get in city driving and the 39 mpg on the highway. Sprightly mid-size with enough trunk room for 3-4 suitcases. Back seat could go down further to allow transport of large items.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

My Kia Forte has been in and out of the shop now. And they have had my car for about 3 weeks now. Today I go in and check on it and the lady that was working said oh the car is ready and nothing much else we can do. About 3 weeks ago it died on the highway. And wouldn’t start up. It took me about 3 times to get it started. My wheel locked up. I couldn’t put it in Neutral. I’m putting my full force into trying to get it off the highway. Finally got it started as traffic was coming up to me. They said they couldn’t get it to Replicate what happened. And they did the software update once again and gave me my keys. Kia has gave me the go around. Lied to me. Treated me horribly. And just don’t listening to what I have to say. I went to headquarters and corporate and still nothing. I’ve had enough. I’ve had many different things that had happened to my car and still no answers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Purchased a new 2020 Forte after owning a 2013 model. The new car is such a downgrade. It lacks many features that my previous forte had and feels very cheaply assembled. Less than 1 month ownership I had to take it back to the dealer for very minor issues such as the driver's side fuse panel cover falling off, rear seats won’t stay up and locked, and now the weather seals on the door had rips already. The car is painfully slow. It cant get out of its own way. The cvt transmission is horribly sluggish that it makes it very difficult to merge with other cars on the highway. I really wish I still kept my ‘13 forte instead of this junk. I just cant wait to pay it off so I can get rid of it. The only real positive thing is the 10 yr/100,000 mi powertrain warranty, you cant beat that!!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

My Kia Forte's engine went bad. Kia replaced it. They also insisted that I replace the hoses and belt. I refused. 5 days later the car overheated on the highway and had to be towed back to their shop. The belt was still intact. I believe it was not tightened properly. Anyway - in the shop again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kia Forte?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I purchased my 2015 Forte EX at 31,096 miles from Carvana with a clean Carfax and full maintenance history performed at a Kia dealership. The car was magnificent at first, fully loaded, 173 horsepower GDi (the GDi... More on that in a moment) engine, it was a great car. I performed all maintenance as according to the owners manual, and guess what? Engine seized due to lack of oil and bearing failure. How? Metal shavings left in the engine blocked oil passages. Kia acknowledged the issue, acknowledged the car was maintained and replaced the engine.

Here's the best part: they're replacing it with a 161 horsepower unit. I'm losing 12 horsepower and 9 lb ft of torque. I'm just supposed to be ok with my car having a way less powerful engine, when I bought it based on the fact it was rather quick. Not to mention, my alarm no longer works and my window switch is broken. I didn't drop it off like that. The dealer, nor Kia care. They gave me a new engine that sucks, and isn't even the same engine I had. It's a totally different GDi. Abysmal. I'm lucky in the fact the car was always maintained at a Kia dealership, and this is precisely why I do that. In case something like this happens, I've got proof directly on the Carfax.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I honestly loved my 2014 Kia Forte, and thought it was a very reliable, fuel efficient and safe car. It did everything I needed it do and had no mechanical issues. Then I discovered mysterious wet spots and mold growing in my car, underneath the driver's seat and in the floor board behind it. I also discovered mold in the trunk in multiple locations. After having it inspected at the dealership which I purchased it from, I was told the tail light assembly leaks water into the trunk and they would repair it.

The water from the trunk had traveled underneath the back seat onto the carpeting in the back seat floorboard and underneath the driver's side carpets. Mold has formed throughout the car and the SMELL is awful. Rust spots have began forming in the trunk on the painted surfaces that are visible (and not visible areas I am certain). Mold has been growing underneath the carpeted mat and rubber mat over the spare tire within the trunk. The dealership actuallty made the leak so much WORSE by not repairing it correctly. They stated the leak was the result of a 'factory defect' but the 'recommended repair' did not stop the leak, and in fact made it worse, FLOODING my car 2 days in a row during rainy weather. There was over 2 gallons of water that had to be shop vacced out of the floor of my car immediately after the repairs were made.

The local dealership has had my car for over 2 months now and the repairs and the removal of all mold and ruined carpeting still have not been addressed. The service manager at Dean McCrary Mazda does not communicate and rarely responds. This is truly very disappointing as the dealership has effectively RUINED my car due to a faulty repair, which they blame on a 'manufacturer's defect'. I have also been touch with KIA CORPORATE, who blames the dealership for the damages that are a result of the leaking, and states poor workmanship on their part. I do NOT RECOMMEND PURCHASING ANY KIA, especially the KIA FORTE!

I have looked online and there are numerous complaints about the leak in the trunk of multiple Kia Forte models. Corporate will not take responsibility and the local dealership is trying to blame corporate, so I am caught in the middle with nothing being resolved regarding my flooded vehicle that has now been ruined by mold & water damage. Kia does NOT stand by their products, do not purchase a KIA, nor does DDean McCrary Mazda in Mobile, AL!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I purchased a new 2014 Kia Forte in April of 2013. Not a lot of problems with it. Brakes seems to wear out quickly, always something extra needed to be done when I took it for the oil changes and maintenance. Tires seem to wear out as soon as warranty was up. In beginning of 2019, we had lots of rain. I noticed that the seats were wet. Long story short the tail light seals broke and flooded the car trunk and mold was growing in the car (I had recently had tail lights replaced there). Under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty it was not covered because the 5 years was up. I paid to have the tail lights seals replaced. Kia Consumer Affairs called about a month later and told me they were going to cover the cost and have the mold removed and reimburse me the cost for the tail light seals. I sent in all the paperwork and never heard anything back from them.

When I called them back, the person who had called me refused to call me back and I was told by someone else she made a mistake and it would not be covered. Luckily my dealership stepped up and covered the cost of the mold removal and cleaned my car. April of 2019 the car started using oil. Took it to the dealer and as told to do an oil consumption test. Took it back after the test, was told that I needed a new engine.

Luckily it is covered under the warranty and they are covering the cost of a rental car. However the engine is on international back order. It may be in at the first of July. I took it to the dealer for every oil change (on time) and every repair or maintenance check. The engine should not have gone bad at 59000 miles. I will not be buying another Kia. I don't want to risk getting another car with Engine problems and or any other problems. I have to say that the Service Department in Clarksville Indiana is great. They have gone above and beyond to make things right. Too bad Kia Motors does not have the same dedication to their vehicles.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I'm the second owner of a 2013 Kia Forte SX 2.4L. I was driving home from work at highway speeds when I heard a loud knock from the front of the vehicle. I was almost home when I noticed there was decrease in acceleration, the cars rpms dropped to 0mph and the car died, luckily I was able to pull the car off the road. The engine is blown. The car has 131k miles, and was well maintained, had a oil change every 3k miles.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I purchased a 2014 Forte Koup SX in 2016. The car had 16000 miles. I had done research and was excited when I found this car. I loved the car, at first. Started experiencing loss of power. Car would not accelerate. The navigation display just quit working one day. At about 66000 miles I had gotten off the freeway to get gas. I noticed the loss of power. Usually shutting off the car would remedy the problem. But after getting gas I headed back to the freeway. I noticed smoke so I pulled off, got out and did a walk around, didn't see anything. Popped the hood, nothing to cause concern.

I continued, I looked in the rearview mirror and smoke just billowing. No warning lights on the dash, the car was still driving. Once I got off the freeway and got parked then engine light came on and the smoke was coming from both exhausts. Called the dealership. They automatically asked if it was an Optima. They were surprised to hear it was the Koup. After the dealership having it for over a month to replace the turbo. A bolt that that holds the turbo had spun off. The engine light is still on. A code that reads Over Advanced Cam is still coming up. They did replace the display and was determined that it was faulty. Very disappointed and many more details that can't be covered here.

Kia Forte Company Information