Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes
2.11/5

Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

View More View More

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1427 Hyundai Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I currently own a 2005 Hyundai Sonata but decided to get a new car 2 years ago. Not knowing what I really wanted, I decided to lease a new 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT. Prior to the end of the lease in January 2019, I received a letter from the dealership stating that they will cover termination fees, excess wear and tear, disposition fees and over mileage fees. I leased a new 2018 Hyundai Kona in August of 2018. To my surprise, I recently received a bill from Hyundai Motor Finance Company for over $1,300. I have made countless phone calls to both the dealership and finance company to no avail. The dealer says they have done everything they can and do not understand the charges, the finance company says that they are just going by my contract and here I am stuck in the middle with a bill. I ended up paying the balance for "loss of sale", a term I heard only after turning in the car.

The Hyundai Motor Finance Company has even charged me $65.00 a hubcap for "curb rash"; $260 just for hubcaps! When speaking with one of their representatives, she explained that they want the car back in the same condition I got it in; In other words, they do not accept "normal wear and tear". They are a third party just like any other bank and really don't have anything to do with what dealerships tells me. Unless you are willing to read all the fine print in your contract at the dealership, which is kind of hard because all they really want is to have you walk away with a car, take the contract home and read it before you sign for after it has your signature, you are legally bound to its terms.

Don't expect the dealership to explain to you important terms like "loss of sale"; the difference you are responsible for if the car is not sold at auction for a price that covers the remainder of the lease balance. Call the "Lease End" department before you turn in the car and arrange for a pre-inspection so you can fix everything at a fraction of the cost. I could have replaced all four hubcaps for less than $100. I now purchased the "excess wear and tear" insurance for the new vehicle; let's see how that goes?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Dan was the man that helped me choose my car. I sort of new what I wanted but his thoughtfulness concerning price and payments was second to none. He also picked us up as we had no car due an accident. He ran through every aspect of what I needed the car for. Many thanks to all at the showroom supplying us coffee while we chose. So to all at the Newport showroom a big thank you and the car well that is just great. I love it.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We've leased two new Hyundais in a row and 7 new Hondas leased prior to the Hyundais, with no issues. Going back to Honda or Toyota. The most recent Hyundai was a 2016 Tucson limited, the AC never worked properly from day one. Shortly after the AC came on cool air would cease. This issue is documented on the Cas Complaints website. We had 3 miserable summers in the Deep South with this lemon Tucson. Three different dealers noted the problem. One kept the car 3 days and agreed that the car had a serious AC problem, but all said unless the diagnostic computer gave an error code there is no warranty. The first Hyundai was 2016 Santa Fe, which had a well documented steering issue when highway driving. Again no Hyundai warranty help. Guess we were suckers for leasing the second Hyundai, but the warranty is utterly worthless. If you have a problem, you're screwed!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Love my Santa Fe. Never had problems. My question is to the manufacturer. An idea for you guys. Make a 4 by 4 Santa Fe just like a Jeep Cherokee. Lifted a little higher like a Jeep Cherokee. It would be a great competition. What you think Hyundai?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My daughter left Rehoboth Beach DE heading home to Philadelphia on June 24th when the engine on her Tucson gave out in the middle of the Delaware Turnpike. She had it towed to a dealer in Philly the next day. After a month at the dealership she was finally told that Hyundai USA had approved her warranty complaint and that they would be replacing the engine. We were told that it would be the middle to the end of September before it would be available... then October... then November. Today, November 14, 2018 I received an email that the engine won't be available until early January 2019! As someone else had said, I doubt seriously that the engine will be available then!

This is ridiculous that they do not have replacement engines available. The engine has to come from Korea and they cite production delays as the problem. There is sure as hell new Hyundais coming every freakin' day from Korea, so why isn't there replacement engines available? The 100,000 mile warranty is not worth the paper it is written on! It is a scam and I would caution everyone before you think about buying a Hyundai... DON'T!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The main issues I have with the vehicle are fairly minor, although some could potentially be a major issues. When creating a rear deck for transporting items, the rear passenger seats don't fold down perfectly flat. I ended up building my own slide-in deck to compensate for the slightly lifted rear passenger seats. The adaptive cruise control seems a bit laggy adapting, but that is probably why the manual says it can't be trusted if there's a difference in speed between vehicles over 35 mph.

I also live in California where motorcycle lane splitting is legal. The problem is it can confuse the adaptive cruise control. Very frequently I'll be going 40 mph (rush hour traffic on a freeway) and a motorcyclist will blast by in between the lanes at 60+ mph. About 50% of the time the cruise control will start tracking the lane-splitting bike and suddenly accelerate, potentially causing my vehicle to smash into the vehicle ahead of it which is only going 40 mph. Fortunately, the cruise control has always been buggy enough so I typically keep it on a short leash anyway, ready to brake. But it is a potentially dangerous annoyance. I'm not sure whether it's just bad luck, but my Santa Fe has been broken into more in the first year of ownership than in all the other vehicles I've had since I started driving 40+ years ago. It's probably because it's new looking and it's an SUV which has no lockable trunk.

But here is the problem with the vehicle: In all cases when my vehicle has been broken into, I've been less than 100 to 50 feet away and heard nothing. In the last instance, I heard glass breaking but no alarm. As far as I can tell the alarm is useless. The blinking light on the dash is just a bad joke. I'm definitely looking into some aftermarket alarms now. If there had been an alarm, as it claims to have, then I would have been alerted and been able to stop the burglary. I know this to be true because I stopped a theft on my prior vehicle because its horn went off when the window was broken, and I ran right out and chased off the burglar before he was able to carry off anything.

Also, although I know this a problem of all SUVs, it would be nice to have a secure, lockable cargo area. As it is, anyone breaking into the car can easily steal anything as there is no place to hide anything, except the glove compartment. Also, when I see vehicles that have been in rear-end accidents, the vehicle doing the rear-ending usually takes most of the damage, with a crumpled hood and such. When my Hyundai was rear-ended at low speed by a sedan half its size, my SUV somehow got most of the damage. The auto repair shop sent the insurance company a $5000 bill. Which it paid, but still that suggests a fairly serious bumper design issue. Even the first vehicle I owned from 1980, a Toyota Tercel, would have not sustained that much damage if it had been hit similarly in the rear. Of course it also had thick rubber bumpers, but still, this is a $45K vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I really should have taken Hyundai up on their return policy! October, 2017 I purchased a new Hyundai Tucson Sport. Salesperson told me that vehicle had Bluelink with remote start and all other features! Waited for car after purchase (5 hours by the way) and took it home. Tried to register Bluelink, only to be told after an hour that the vehicle is not equipped with Bluelink. Phone call to dealership (should have returned it)... they agreed to install a remote start. They installed a rather goofy remote start. It actually went off when I entered the car to try and drive. Long story short, after numerous problems with the car not recognizing the key fob and the alarm randomly going off, they removed the remote start (as they could find no other cause).

Fast forward, now my year old car will turn over upon push start, and simply turn off. This has happened over 8 times now. Taken it in to service department and told "we can't get it to do that, we can't find anything wrong. Next time, just have it towed." The next time, 20 minutes trying to start - call for tow truck (cancel class I have to teach because I am late). Tow truck arrives & says "I have to move your car" and what do you know, the car starts! I drove it directly to dealership. I told them "keep it, drive it, find out what is wrong and fix it". That was Tuesday. Saturday, nothing - I went and got the car back. Emailed Hyundai Consumer Affairs - given case number with "someone will contact you within 3-5 business days".

Today, car won't start! Late for work and car still sitting in my driveway! I took video and forwarded to dealership service dept and Hyundai Consumer Affairs indicating I want a car to drive (as I am paying for one that is not driveable) until they find out what is wrong and fix it! That was 3 hours ago... still no phone call or reply of any kind! This was my first and last Hyundai purchase. I will never buy Hyundai - and may end up having to sue! So frustrated!!! I should NOT have to ask for a car to drive, when my car that is under warranty - keeps being inoperable.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

For the price I pay for Blue Link they should give a refund when their system is down. It appears when it is the coldest or in the morning hours the system is out of services. Be aware of this when you pay for the services. They truly stink for taking yearly service contract and not delivering a better product.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

On Oct 24th 2018 I activated my Blue Link via a dealer. I was given 3 months test of the system on my 2014 Equus. The next day I tried to use the system but it was not active. I called the service and told me 24 to 48 hours to get to my system. After the 48 hour mark the system still not activated. I called again on the 25th then the 26th still not activated. I was instructed to drive around to see of it would help, but nothing. When I called again on the 27th they apologized for the inconvenience but nothing they could do till a day or more passed. Upon calling on the 28th still not activated. Called again on the 29th and they apologized and gave me an extra month free to try the service. I was told it should be up any time. By end of day on the 29th still not working. On the 30th of Oct, I was told my service could not be started till the previous owner service was deactivated as I was told it was not fully deactivated in their name.

They would need to deactivate my account and the original owners account before my service could work. After an hour on the line I was told they would call within 2 hours to let me know it was complete and my service turned on. I called after 3 hours and was told my account was cancelled and would need to be charged 279.00 to turn it on as I cancelled my trial. I was livid as I explained that the tech cancelled my service not me, and I wanted my service trial back because it was never turned on. Going back and forth they told me nothing could be done and we went around for an hour plus. No matter what I told them I would not get my service trial back.

They directed me to call another number to complain, when calling the other number was told it was not a complaint line but another Blue Link center. I was lied to and cheated out of my service trial and fully pissed off they did this to me. I've never been treated so badly by a company in my 50 years of life on this planet. Being lied to, is appalling by anyone. This company could care less about customer service. I was never disrespectful toward anyone on the phone, just in case you wondered. I was upset but not overly. I was so upset and confused by their actions. They never offered me a solution. Horrible in my eyes.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have had issues with the transmission not shifting properly when pressing on the accelerator. I have taken it back to the dealership several times and am always told that it is their new transmission and is normal. Finally, they said they had a reset they could do for it, this seemed to help for about a week. After this things got worse, it not only went back to the chugging with the transmission but also lost power when accelerating from a stopped position (like turning in front of oncoming traffic). I would pump the accelerator for it to finally go.

I filed a claim with Hyundai, finally got a call from them and was told to take to dealership, of course they found nothing wrong, everything is working to “their” standard, and that it’s just their new transmissions. I said I had another vehicle (Not Hyundai) that has this type of transmission and it doesn’t do this, she said, "Well. This is Hyundai Transmission." I am beyond Frustrated and Disappointed with Hyundai products and Customer Service! I will never buy Hyundai and will and have recommend everyone to NOT buy Hyundai!!!

Hyundai Company Information