3.8/5 (493 ratings)
Get Pricing  on Carvana

About Hyundai

Hyundai is a South Korean car manufacturer. They make traditional and electric cars, SUVs and crossovers. Read reviews for their models:

Hyundai Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My daughter’s transmission is gone and because her step mother transferred car to her -due to her not having great credit when we bought it new -Hyundai won't cover it saying it's a second owner even though you can see same household address for both. Talk about not caring about your customers.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I bought a 2022 Hyundai Palisade in November of 2021. In June of 2022 I am driving back from a 180 mile road trip and my engine overheats. I add coolant and then take in shop for a check and oil change. I am told they may not have the expertise to check the radiator issue. So they tell me all is fine and give do an oil change. Two months later we see stains in driveway and check coolant and it is near empty. We fill it up and I overheat again that evening and have to have it towed. The dealership tells me the cap on that coolant is off and why it happened. I agree that I may have not had the cap on tight enough and it came off but it had a leak and my spots on the driveway prove it.

So, they tell me with short staff that they have no time to look at it for a week, because I did not have an appointment. I have to pay money for a rental and have had no communication on the status of my car. I have called multiple times and no answer. So now I am $700 in to a rental and wonder what a warranty even means at this point. I was going to buy another car for my kid with them but will not now. Maybe it is the dealership that is doing the service, but at some point Hyundai has to take ownership of the warranty.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

We have had 2 Hyundai in the family. 2012 Santa Fe Limited and 2017 Tucson 1.6L Turbo Limited. We our first car had a scary review that you can look up. People experienced engine knock then the engine would stall on the highway. We brought our Santa Fe in to check for this issue and we were lucky that our engine had been built correctly.

Our 2017 Tucson 1.6L has been a complete disaster and Hyundai has refused to fix it. The 1.6L is is crap engine in that it eats oil. One issue with engines eating oil is poor piston rings or faulty rings. In a Class Action Lawsuit in the USA, they found that this same issue was related to poor engine manufacturing and Kia and Hyundai agreed to replace the engines costing the company Billions. However, in Canada, Hyundai solution was to install a Knock Sensor in a few of their engines and ignore the rest of the engine. A knock sensor software update that is to help to let you know that your lower bearings are about to fail, and your engine will explode or even more dangerous, just shut off when you are on the highway. Hyundai stance is that since you are not in the USA, you should have to pay to fix your engine, or replace your engine which is the correct way to do this.

Hyundai does not seem to care about Canadians that have the same issues as Americans. I can not recommend the Hyundai brand because over the last 11 years, they have made some major engine flaws which in the end they want you to pay for it but in actuality, they should pay to replace a product they failed to make correctly. Out of all the brands, Hyundai would rather go to court than to help a customer. They would sell you a product the looks good on the outside, but the engine is not good and will cost you down the road. The fact that Hyundai now charges higher fees for their cars, didn't make them better at making engines but in fact, their engines are some of the cheapest quality engines built that not even their engineer were able to figure out that the engine would eat oil or destroy itself.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I purchased my Tucson in 2020. Starting the summer of 2021 I had my 2017 Hyundai Tucson in for the AC not working multiple times. It would blow cold air for 8 - 10 secs and then all warm air, each time I brought it to Key Hyundai of Milford. They would tell me they looked at it and there is nothing wrong and each time I go to use the AC same thing not working. 6/18/2022 again in for AC not working and was advised, "You are almost at the 40,000 mile mark where it isn't covered." (Even though for a year I've had it in multiple times and they haven't fixed it.)

I call Hyundai USA and spoke to an Elijah who advised me there is nothing they can do and to bring it back to the dealership for them to check everything at my expense. After getting nowhere with this person I asked to speak with his supervisor and he advised me there is no one above him and that I must bring it back to the dealership for them to check again at my expense when this has been happening for over a year now. This is not right. I took a video after being in my car for 30 mins with only warm air coming out, then after an hour of being in my car another video still not working showing the thermometer in the vent and the temp is 80 degrees. How is this a working AC. This isn't right. Seems all Hyundai cares about is selling cars not fixing items and making their clients happy and wanting to return. VERY VERY MAD.

Original review: July 11, 2022

So I love my Tucson. My problem is not with dealer. My 2022 on the window sticker says maintenance program included. It’s a turbo hybrid. I’m supposed to get 6 oil changes over three years or 36000 miles. Hyundai website says so. Brochure from dealer says so. It’s a a 2022. Commercial on tv says I get it. Paper work says worry free and hands off for scheduled maintenance. Dealer agrees with me and says they don’t understand. I have called Hyundai three times. This is either the most biggest case of consumer fraud or inept disconnect. Hyundai says I only get every other one. Nowhere does it say that. Been three weeks.

Original review: July 10, 2022

We purchased a 2018 Hyundai Tucson in July 2021. In June of 2022, the vehicle would not go in reverse. There were no warning signs and everything else had been functioning properly. After having a transmission expert with over 40 years of experience look at it, he explained that it was a "premature failure" of the transmission and that it would need to be replaced. We had the Tucson towed to the Hyundai dealership and they confirmed the bad news about the faulty transmission. Our Tuscon is 4 years old and has approximately 74K miles on it. It had 60,002 miles on it when we purchased it.

We called Hyundai Motor America and spoke with a general customer service representative who told us that the warranty covers 5 years and 60K miles, whichever comes first. The new transmission's cost was approximately $4,800 so we escalated our issue to a supervisor and then to a case manager. Our case manager, "Lenore", told us that they would cover 50% of the transmission as a "good faith gesture". We are under the 5 years but over the 60K miles for the warranty. We counter-offered and asked them to pay closer to 100% of the transmission. They denied that request and stuck with the 50% offer, which we eventually accepted.

Our case manager was not the best at communicating with us. We actually heard of the 50% offer from the service mechanic at the dealership before "Lenore" informed us about it. When we counter-offered, it took our case manager about one week or so before she would respond to us. I'm not sure if better customer service training is needed or what the actual issue is, but it would be a good start for the employees dealing with the consumers at HMA. From the time our transmission stopped working to the time we got our vehicle back, it was literally one month. My husband and I had to share our 12 year old trusty Nissan Rogue with 164K miles on it for 3 weeks before we could get a courtesy vehicle from the dealership.

We've definitely learned a lot during this ordeal, one of the most important lessons being to Google the vehicle and the year it was made to see what problems it has. We've also learned that Hyundai is one of the most unreliable vehicles out there on the market. Even the brand new 2022 Hyundai's have serious mechanical issues. Be smart and go with either a Honda, Toyota or a Nissan. Hyundai's may look nice on the exterior, but it's what's inside, as in the mechanical components, that actually matters.

Original review: July 5, 2022

Hyundai just doesn’t care about you once you signed the contract and bought their car. I brought my car to the Advantage Hyundai auto dealer to have them fix a recall on my 2020 Palisades. While there the service department informed me that I needed to replace my brake rotors and pads, as the rotors had only three percent thickness remaining. I gave approval for them to conduct the repair only to find out that they didn’t have the rotors in stock and that they would need to be ordered. I was then informed that I would have to pay up-front for the parts in order for them to be ordered. I provided payment and was told that the parts would be in in about 1-2 weeks. They told me to take the car home as they don’t have room to store it and that they would notify me once the part was in.

After two weeks and no call from Advantage Hyundai I reached out to the dealer and for an update. The parts department told me it would be another “week or so” until the parts would arrive. After another two weeks of not hearing from Hyundai I reached out again and was told it would be another week or two until

the parts would be available. This has been going on for nine weeks so far and still no parts. I reached out to Hyundai USA customer service and asked how they can sell cars that they cannot maintain. They are obviously still selling new Palisades with OEM brake’s and rotors attached.

I explained that my car had reached a point that it was no longer safe to operate (and stop safely). Hyundai USA customer service informed me that if it's not a warranty or recall issue they basically can’t help me. They still don’t know when the parts will come in, they did say “another one to two weeks” as if I haven’t heard that before. I did however receive the monthly bill from Hyundai financial to pay for my 2020 Hyundai even though its basically a “Potted Plant” sitting in my driveway. How can they sell cars that they can’t maintain? How can they expect customers to pay for cars that don’t operate? Why would they take money to lock you in to purchasing parts from a dealer who can’t produce the parts?

I am very disappointed with Hyundai’s attitude toward its customers. I like the car and think it's a quality vehicle, it’s a shame that the company feels that once they got you to buy its car that you are no longer of any consequence. Nine plus weeks in and I still have no answers. Hyundai customer service says that company policy will not allow them to help resolve my issue. They basically said ,"You just have to wait!!!!" Too Bad!!!! Anyone considering purchasing a Hyundai vehicle needs to consider the company's attitude toward its customers is the future that awaits you.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Weeks ago our 2014 Hyundai Tuscon with the 2.0 GDI motor started running very rough then the engine light started flashing. We had it towed to our hyundai dealership where we bought it. The dealer said there was an active recall and if the bearings went which caused the motor to blow that the new motor would be covered by Hyundai. Hyundai Motor America called us and told us they are requesting more information about the car from the dealer mechanics. After weeks of having our SUV the dealership said they are going back and forth with hyundai motor America.

I told our case manager that I’m a Firefighter and my wife and I have two kids 3 & 5. My wife is out of work and I have had to miss several days of work and kids missed days of school because of Hyundai motor America taking their time. Our Hyundai dealer mechanic said that one cylinder had zero compression and that they were unable to even test the bearings cause of the cylinder having zero compression. Hyundai Motor America called us and told us they were denying the claim. The dealer mechanic who has been a mechanic over 20 years said that’s not right, how can they accept or deny the claim when the bearings could not even be tested cause of the cylinder with no compression.

MARK MY WORDS HYUNDAI I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI AS LONG AS I'M ALIVE, I am a Firefighter and have one of the biggest families all over the world. Not to mention my blood family who has bought many Hyundai vehicles, well they won’t be buying any more Hyundais after hearing what happened to us. I have had one family member who just bought a new 2022 Tuscon and just returned it and went and bought a Ford. Oh and the people we spoke to on the phone from Hyundai Motor America including our case manager that knew I was a firefighter not one thank you or any compassion for us. One person didn’t even finish their sentence said “there is nothing else Hyundai can do for you as far as your motor, can I do anythi...“ (CLICK) and hung up. They don’t care about their customers em including first responders like myself.

Original review: June 8, 2022

My 2016 Sonata Hybrid was sold with an 8 year Hybrid Engine warranty. I was having power failure issues with my Sonata, it would tell me to pull over and turn off the engine to prevent damage to the Hybrid engine. My Dealership said it was the Electric Water Pump attached to the Hybrid engine, they told me it would be under warranty. This was April 18th 2022, they told me not to drive on it as it would cause catastrophic damage to the Hybrid engine, they then ordered the part, the next availability was May 9th. I had to get it towed in and they didn't get around to it till May 10th, where they called me and said they ordered the wrong part, that it was the electric water pump and that it was 850 dollars plus labour and not covered under warranty.

I called Hyundai Canada on May 11th. I made over 5 calls to Hyundai Canada's warranty department where I had to tell them multiple times about their 160k/8 year warranty and while they were nice, every one of them was confused by why it wasn't under warranty and had to send it to review, they kept telling me 2 or 3 business days to hear back. The only correspondence I got was from the dealership, twice during this period, offering to buy my car. Hyundai Canada finally got back to me on June 8th 2022 to tell me that the Electric Water Pump that is dedicated to the Hybrid engine is covered by the 100k/5 year power train warranty. A Part dedicated to cooling the Hybrid engine so it charges, a part instrumental to the Hybrid engine, a part that makes the car function, a part that won't let the car turn on, charge or drive, a part that does nothing to the main engine or its components Isn't covered by the Hybrid warranty.

I waited a month for Hyundai canada to review why a Hybrid engine water pump isn't covered by the hybrid warranty. This was excessive. Nobody understands this decision. Do not buy from Hyundai. I've bought two Hyundais and this is my last. The Dealership assessed the problem and said it was under warranty, Hyundai Canada says it's a powertrain issue because the part has Water Pump in its name. The purpose of the part has nothing to do with if it's a Hybrid Warranty issue, despite it being dedicated to the system. Buy something else. Once they have your money you will not have a good experience.

Original review: June 2, 2022

The cars are OK, but lately there are two recalls, one that goes back several months. Neither have remedies yet and both are deemed dangerous. But those are nothing compared to the customer Service of this company. You have to wait on hold for long periods of time to get through. Frequently, the person who answers is from abroad and is difficult to understand or even hear. When you achieve any success reaching someone, the issue you have won't be resolved quickly and most of the time you will have to call again. Then the letters start. Endless warnings, threats and requests for clarifications and then you're back on the merry- go- round of trying to get them to stop. Do yourself a favor Buy American, Japanese, or German if you value your sanity.

Original review: May 8, 2022

I have a 2014 Hyundai Equus with 38000 miles. The transmission is bad and the dashboard is becoming unglued. Took it to my local Hyundai dealership after speaking with Hyundai corporate and they promised to help me out. Once they found out what the vehicle needed they sorry we cannot help. That is terrible to have a vehicle that had such low miles to have this much trouble. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Hyundai, they promise the world, at the end of the day the consumer pays for a poor product.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I had serious safety issues with my Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I was driving on highway I-75 when my car displayed a message "Hybrid System Warning! Safety Stop and Do not Drive". The car simply STOPPED driving, I was lucky that there were no cars on the right lanes, so I managed to pull my car over. It was an extremely scary experience, especially driving with my 12-year-old daughter. I restarted the car and the message disappeared, I turned on my emergency lights and drove the car to the next exit and then slowly home. The message and the situation happened 2 more times. Next day, my husband and I took the car to a dealer. The service guy, after three days waiting, provided us with a quote for a repair. I refused to pay because it should be a recall repair. I paid for diagnostic only. PA # **

The service guy recommended me to call Consumer Affairs because he agreed with me that it was a safety issue and should be qualified as a recall. I followed his suggestions. I opened case # ** at customer affairs on April 8th. Nobody called me until April 14th. Her name was Savannah and her extension **. She left me a message to give her a call what I did the next day. It went to the VM. I left another message on April 16th and April 17th. On April 18th I received a call from her (10 days after submitting the case) that she needs more time, and she will call me on Wednesday. She did not. I called her back on Thursday and Friday. No response.

I called Consumer Affairs again and requested a response. Finally, she called me on April 26th, telling me that my warranty was 1000 mile over so the Hyundai warranty does not cover it. I explained to her that it should have been a recall but she didn't take safety issues seriously. I am extremely disappointed in Hyundai safety approach and their customer service. The manager didn't even care about me. She was just like "we are not paying". Where is the famous Hyundai customer service?

Original review: April 21, 2022

Driving Hyundai cars for the past 5 years. Recently ended up in a shattered panoramic sunroof on my 2021 Santafe limited with the glass shattering with a loud sound and raining on me while on freeway. Called the hyundai roadside assistance since the car isn't even one year old. They promised me a tow truck which never came. I had to take hotel since it was the middle of the night when this happened. I also had to take a rental the next day as customer care promised that my out of pocket expenses would be covered by hyundai. When I asked the case manager for the reimbursement, she shouts at me asking "why would hyundai pay for your hotel" and that there is a per day cap on the amount they would pay for the rental which wouldn't even cover half of my one-way rental car bill.

Hyundai website mentions about trip interruption that promises coverage for the rental, meals and lodging for an overnight incident. https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/assurance/roadside-assistance Case manager wouldn't even listen to me trying to explain the case. I would still fight until justice is served. Having the sunroof falling on you in the middle of a rainy night is one thing but the behavior of the customer care case managers are worse.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Battery failure before 30,000 miles, starter failure, engine noise went from once every 3 weeks to every cold start. Took it to a dealer a couple times in Mentor Ohio, told me nothing's wrong with my car. Shared videos taken and still told me nothing was wrong with my car. Ask to listen to a new Kona with same engine, told they didn't have any cars to show me, stop back by 2 months later and seen a Kona, made me wait on my lunch hour. I went in and asked for a salesman, listen to the new Kona and showed salesman my videos and he said there was definitely a noise issue.

I am an ASE certified master mechanic. I showed my supervisor at work the car and he hears the noise, in fact everyone hears the noise and said there's an issue but the service manager at Hyundai tells me there's nothing wrong with my car. The car has 60,000 miles on it and is out of warranty because I bought it used. Warranty expires at $60,000 but I have documented problems since $27,000 miles. Hyundai warranty department case manager is very rude, tries to call me back when I'm at work at 10:30 in the morning after I repeatedly requested they call me at 2:30 p.m. and on, lies to me and tells me that she tried calling so I tried to call her back and cannot get a hold of her.

I requested a new case manager and they said they cannot give me a new case manager. They are dragging their feet, they also told me there is no issues with the Kona motors but they had ring problems with them. I will never buy another Hyundai product again, customer service is terrible and their warranty is terrible, they do not back their vehicles.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I bought A Hyundai Tucson From DutchMiller Hyundai and Chevy and it drank oil, it used 2 1/2 quarts in 3000 miles and 5 quarts in 5000 and Hyundai said that met their standards, they would not fix it. I called Hyundai and they made a case number and acted like they was trying to help me. They said they was going to work with DutchMiller and see about getting it fixed said they get them to run another oil consumption test and I just completed one and DutchMiller keep giving me a run around saying it was going to take a bunch of oil consumption test and still might not get fixed and if did it be a long time getting motor in it. I think it was a scare tactic to get me to sell back but anyway Hyundai should have fixed it, that was all I wanted was it fixed, I got scared and sold it to them and now I’m without a car. I will never do business with either one of them again.

Original review: April 5, 2022

2 months after I bought my new Tucson the panoramic sunroof exploded while driving 70 mph on the interstate. At first I thought something must have hit me but after researching it seems to be a common problem on the Sante Fe and Tucson models. I pulled into the dealership and they vacuumed out the glass for me and told me to file a claim through my insurance. They denied any defect and claimed it was an issue on the older models that have since been fixed. I'm concerned about using it again once it is fixed. Fortunately I was in my car alone at the time and not injured and pulled over right away but very shook up.

Original review: March 23, 2022

I am beyond disappointed and disgusted with the customer service and system that takes place for recall and warranty work. My engine light began flashing Friday morning and I instantly called my “home” dealership to inquire what to do. They said to pull over and not drive it any further and to contact roadside assistance to have it towed to the nearest Hyundai dealership. I did just that. My vehicle is a 2017, but purchased brand new March 2018. I am well under the 100,000 km/ 5 year warranty.

Once we arrived at the dealership to get things rolling, I was informed that my vehicle has an engine recall - thanks for the notice in the mail on that one, Hyundai - NOT. So that was a major surprise to hear. I get back to work and receive a phone call from service that my engine failed all diagnostic tests and that I needed a new engine altogether. I confirmed all my services have been done through Sherwood Park Hyundai, so they said, "Great, we’ll get them to send over your records and send everything off to Hyundai Canada for approval and get you a rental."

I expressed how much I required a rental, as I am 8 months pregnant and my husband is not available to be driving me to and from work. They told me by Monday or Tuesday they would know the status of the engine and we can do the rental car. I had to call Monday afternoon for an update, she informed me that nothing had been approved yet, but by Tuesday we’d know. I once again explain the need for the rental. Received no phone call Tuesday, so at 2:45 pm I called them, again. Once again told Hyundai Canada still didn’t approve the warranty for the engine. Not only is this a RECALL, but I am under warranty. They then said I could pay $40/ day for a rental through them and once warranty was approved, they’d take it over.

I asked if I’d be reimbursed, they said no. So Hyundai wants me to not only pay my bi-weekly payments on a vehicle I can’t drive, but also pay out of pocket for a rental when it should have already been dealt with and set up. RIDICULOUS. Having a vehicle gets me to my place of employment, which allows me to pay you people for the vehicle sitting in one of your dealerships waiting for an engine on a basically still new vehicle. They were not willing to a single thing to help me out. I will never be buying a Hyundai again. My husband is already looking at getting rid of his also due this service.

I owned 3 Chevy’s prior to the Tucson thinking it was a good move. Worst decision and full regret. Things started great with Hyundai and has plummeted over the years. Whenever my vehicle was in the shop with Chevy they ensured they had a fleet/lot vehicle available to me to drive. When I had to get warranty work done and they required to keep my vehicle for 3 days, they had a rental available to me instantly. Odd, they had no issue getting me in a rental ASAP. Hyundai, you are beyond disappointing and I am disgusted with your customer service.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Bought a 2012 Hyundai back in 2020 for my older daughter with 100,000 miles on it, she drove the car for 10,000 miles and the Piston Slap started to occur, drove it right to Hyundai - get the call the motor is bad, next call Hyundai will not cover it because you are the second owner, only covered for 80,000 miles but hey if you were the first owner there would not be a issue. First off who buys a car anymore with less than 100,000 miles and a ton of money. Even with the Class Action Lawsuit they are picking and choosing which engines they will replace. We are a Hyundai family. Have owned of 6 of them and sad but true this is our last, and I will never ever recommend one to anyone.

Stay away, don't make the same mistake as us, bought car for 5,000 and Dealership wants $9300 to replace the engine... This will never happen. Hyundai needs to go bankrupt and call it quits because they are not here trying to make it better for these 10's of thousands people that are out a car, plus money, time spent on making calls to corporate, filing complaints all over the place just to be told over and over and over you were denied. Just at the Dealership we are at over 5 other cars sitting there because they have denied.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Brought in my 2015 Hyundai Elantra for service, mechanic stated it needed an oil pump and an engine and it would take a month to fix. When I asked about a rental I was told that they had no cars. Tie my car up for a month and don't offer alternate transportation. Totally unacceptable. I will never purchase another hyundai ever again.

Original review: March 11, 2022

THE WORST!! I would choose zero stars for the review if it was an option! We financed our car from Hyundai Finance in November 2019 and waited 3 months to receive our title, but we never received it. We then relocated to another state and to be able to register our car, we needed our title. So, we requested a duplicate title from Hyundai in February 2020. We still haven’t received our title because Hyundai Finance fails to address our request properly every time for TWO YEARS. We have been sending countless checks and request letters to Hyundai Finance for them to request a duplicate title from the DMV for us, but they keep saying they haven’t received any checks, even though they are all delivered.

For two years now, we haven’t been able to register our car in the state we live in because of the incompetency of the Hyundai title department. There is no way to call the titles department or even send a direct email to them. We have been calling customer service for two years, asking them to send emails on our behalf to the title’s department. But still no action and no clear response!! They even sometimes hang up on me instead of addressing my concerns and requests. This is the WORST experience I’ve ever had with a company in my life!! BEWARE and stay clear of Hyundai Finance!!

Original review: March 10, 2022

I leased a 2021 Hyundai Kona EV from Hyundai November of last year. The vehicle has been giving me issues since, constant dashboard lights and issues with the electric vehicle system. After attempting to charge the vehicle at home, the vehicle would not charge at all. This occurred on January 28, 2022. I anticipate the issue would be due to weather and did not drive it for a few days. On February 1, 2022 I attempted to drive the vehicle and it would not pick up a charge. On the dashboard a check engine light displayed (Check Electric Vehicle System). The only charge left on my vehicle 19% of battery, roughly 58 miles of distance.

I contacted the dealership and explained my issue, and they stated I would have to tow the vehicle to their location, and incur towing fees at my own expense. I then contact a dealership that was much closer, and they scheduled me for service on February 22, 2022. After dropping the vehicle off, the service advisor contacted me 9 days later and explained to me that the vehicle has an issue with the electric vehicle system. He also advised me that the electric vehicle battery must be replaced, and the time frame for replacement is 5-7 months.

I contacted Hyundai Corporate and explained to them the issue. I advised them that I would like to have the vehicle purchased back from Hyundai due to its defect since the vehicle can not be repaired in a timely manner, and has a defective issue. I also explained to them that an issue with the battery concerns me, and I do not feel safe charging the vehicle at home knowing there is an issue with the battery, and there may be an issue with the replacement battery as well. The safety of myself and my family must be taken into consideration when dealing with an issue on a vehicle that is plugged into the electrical system of my home. Hyundai advised me that there is nothing they can do, and I am stuck with this vehicle. This entire situation has been an unforeseen nightmare.

I am at a lost for words at the experience that I have had with Hyundai Motor America. This is a new vehicle with roughly 5,000 miles, and I am being forced by Hyundai Motor America to continue to remain in a lease for vehicle their own employees have told me could be many months to repair. Hyundai Motor America is refusing to assist me in the matter knowing that the vehicle is a lemon, under New Jersey lemon law. I highly suggest anyone reading this to rethink to do business with Hyundai Motor America.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Overall, we were happy with our Hyundai Elantra. Decent gas mileage, very affordable Limited Edition with decent bells and whistles. Had a problem with the sunroof. Extended warranty fixed it, but overall, the extended warranty wasn't worth it. The car is too reliable for it to be needed! So I lost money on that.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I bought a 2011 Hyundai, I was the second owner. As I was going to work I pulled out onto a main highway where the motor made this horrible noise and stopped, leaving me in terrible danger. People helped me push the car to get it backed off to a bit of safety zone, I had to have it towed to a garage. This car had 82,000. miles on it, it seems the motor was gone. It was then towed to the dealership, where it sat for 4 months before anyone even took a look at it. I keep calling them frequently about it and was told, they had so many cars before me in line they didn't have time to work on it.

I had to find other means of transportation for work and other necessities. Only to be told because I was 2,000 over the second owners warranties that Hyundai refused to replace it. They had a class action suite against them, I was notified, but didn't have a problem at the time I was notified. Why would I spent $6,000 for a new one of their motors when the one I had was no good? I was told of others the same dealership that they had replaced motors with the overage mileage. I had expected to drive this car for at least 200,000 plus miles. Just goes to prove not all Lemons are yellow!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

There should be zero or negative star option for Hyundai finance. Their customer service is horrible. They take your money first but they will make you cry and suffer to the necessary document they need to provide you to get the charge of your vehicle. Their CS is horrible. no training, no respect for customer and flat out liars. When you complaint they just drop your call so you have to call them again and wait in line for hours. As you can see review after review and complaint after complaint which also reflect in their ratings but no improvement. I hope KARMA catches to them. Strongly recommend anyone to stay away from them. I would never buy Hyundai car so that I never have to deal with Hyundai Finance.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

If you happen to purchase a Hyundai that has an engine safety recall. You will not only be paying for the new engine Hyundai will be profiting from you. Hyundai has figured out how to make their customer pay for Hyundai's bad engineering. They charge you 6,000 dollars for a new engine that failed from their bad engineering. The engine that cost them 900 dollars. Great customer support make money from your customer because of your fault. To make it even better they will profit from it again because the new engine has the same problem. What a wonderful company. I work for their OEM. I know how much they pay for their parts.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Please put signal/turn lights on the taillights and not just the back bumper. Other drivers are used to seeing blinkers right on tail lights and not on the bumper. I understand this key point makes Hyundai different from other car brands, but I feel the location of blinkers should be universal for all cars regardless of the brand for safety reasons.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

We purchased a 2020 Hyundai Kona and drove it for approximately 12,000 miles. At that point, the transmission started lurching and the check engine light came on. We immediately took the car in to the dealer. After a week and a half calling almost every day to find out what was wrong, we were informed that the transmission had completely failed. Still under warranty, we had to wait another two weeks or so for Hyundai to approve the repair of a car with 12,000 miles. Obviously waiting for better than three weeks just to diagnosis the repair and get the green light for repair is absurd, but it gets so much worse. As you would expect, we called the dealer every couple of days to check in. 100% of our calls went to voicemail and the dealer returned our call about 1 out of every 4 times. We were finally told that Hyundai doesn't have the parts for repair and that they don't have any timeline for getting the parts.

At that point, we tried to work with Hyundai to get the car repurchased under our state lemon law. Our particular law states that cars under warranty are eligible for lemon status if they have been in the sop for greater than 30 days (cumulative) while under warranty. When we started working with Hyundai, we were already at nearly 60 days without the car. Hyundai took our information 3 separate times because they are apparently as bad at record keeping as they are at manufacturing and customer service, and then denied our request without providing a reason for the denial. We have now gone to the BBB to try and resolve the issue under their manufacturers' program. The BBB says that they generally resolve issues in 30 days, but we are weeks into the process and Hyundai hasn't even responded to the BBB complaint.

As of this writing, our car has been at the dealer for 72 days and we still have no idea when we may get it back or whether Hyundai plans to force us to sue them. Meanwhile, we are trying to figure out what to do to get out of this terrible purchase decision. I don't know what more I can say to warn you, but for the love of everything that is holly, do not buy a Hyundai. Maybe you will get lucky and your new Hyundai won't have a breakdown, but you really need to ask yourself if you can risk months without a car, should you have an issue. There are better options out there and you should take them. Hyundai is not worth the risk, I promise you!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

We just purchased a 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy trim in Sep '21 because we loved that it had everything we were looking for in regards to safety, technology, and design. We paid $45k for it along with about $1,000 in fees and travel to pick it up. We were quite excited as this was our first brand new vehicle. 2 months into it, the transmission went bad and we brought it to Hyundai to find out what's going on as it was under warranty. Here's where things went further south.

Hyundai can't get parts to fix their brand new cars...and on top of that, why would a transmission already be bad? It has sat on their lot since Nov 30th, 2021. Last week we just got an offer to buy back the vehicle for more than 4k less than what we just bought it for and drove it for two months. They stated that our state allows for depreciation in Missouri for lemon laws and they can't help us, it is what it is.

During this time, cars have gone up because dealers are now charging a "mark up fee", so although they can claim depreciation, we can't claim "appreciation" on the car. So to get the same exact car we just bought, we now will have to pay 4-8k more for equivalent. It's horrible. And just for a "buyer beware" situation, Hyundai will no longer replace your car with an equivalent one "substitution for collateral equity". They stopped replacing them with like cars because they're manufacturing so few that anything they make has to go to dealers to get top value for them.

Point being for this review is that although Hyundai makes a great car much of the time, if you have any problems at all, there are concerns of finding parts for repairs, and if it's unrepairable, plan on a huge deduction for a buyback. Good luck out there from a very unhappy customer who just lost 4-8k on a brand new vehicle, and now I have to go find a replacement on my own.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

We have a 2010 Accent and bought Hyundai dealership parts (tire sensors) and had a Hyundai dealership install the parts and two were defective but I didn't find out until driving the car home. I had to pay the dealership to take out the two bad sensors and reinstall the old parts until they found (4) working. I incurred several hundred in cost for the defective parts and the maintenance charges to deal with the defective parts. Customer service made me jump through hoops with documentation (which I provided) and then more documentation (which I provided) then more documentation including title/license copies?

I finally lost my patience after months and had to file a small claims case. Their CA offices are apparently closed so I cannot serve their legal dept? I wrote a letter to their legal dept November 22, 2021 and haven't heard anything from anyone at Hyundai. In the mean time I'm out $700 + dollars since July, 2021. What kind of treatment is this for their defective parts?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Brought my 2015 Santa Fe in the middle of March 2021 after my mechanic reported engine issues. Dealership refused me at the door, after waiting an hour, and said there was no sound. 7months later, problem obviously worsens, and this time - wow, they found the same problem I reported 7 months prior. Did I mention my 6 year old vehicle only had 55,000 miles at the time I first reported this? What kind of quality engine starts fading at 55,000 miles - especially when the vehicle is primarily used to shuttle children to and from activities. Since it was bought used and past the warranty mileage of used cars (which why should the 100,000 mile warranty vary based on a car being used or new - perhaps because they know they can screw more people with said advertising?), Hyundai would only offer us 65% which might be okay if Hyundai engines weren’t 25,000$ (Are they using gold or some other precious gems in there?).

What I’m also struggling with is the fact that smaller model Hyundai engines are being recalled left and right and totally covered. Well my semi larger sibling to these recalled vehicles is also experiencing this engine issue, so I beg you to consider this is an issue outside the smaller suv. The story doesn’t end there - so stay with me…

Just over 2 months later (and a few days after completing a rating they sent me - ironic?), I hear back from the manager. They want to help me out - can you believe that!! I thought 2022 was going to be my year (despite Covid still going on and both my children having a stomach bug at the time of the call). There was one catch. Corporate would be more likely to work with me, IF I was willing to rescore them “as an act of good faith.” Well what fool would rescore them without a new offer proposed? You guessed it - this fool. In my defense, I wanted to know the percentage before rescoring, but of course that wasn’t possible since the higher ups had to make that offer. I figured - what do I have to lose?

A month of me calling almost daily to find out what rescoring did for my problem resulted in nothing. Nada. Not a fraction of a difference because I don’t get my car serviced there and some other **. Which is ironic since their mechanics were the ones who didn’t notice the problem after my mechanic sent me there (now more than 10 months ago). Any respect for Hyundai (do you really find it acceptable for your engines to die at 55,000 miles?), any hope that they cared about their customer safety (I mean who would want their family driving in a vehicle that could leave them stranded after 55,000 miles), are lost. I am deeply disappointed with how much time I have wasted trying to work with a company that in my option is a scam. I’ve requested another rescore - think it’ll come as quick as it did the last time??

Hyundai Company Information