Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.59/5

Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

194 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe caught fire suddenly while driving on the highway. This vehicle previously broke down in 2017 on the highway and I had to get it towed back to Sudbury Hyundai. They then decided to replace the engine. In 2018 Unfortunately 9000 km after the new engine it caught fire on the highway again with 5 people in my vehicle. I maintain my vehicle at Hyundai before leaving for this trip to make sure I would have no problems. Well that did not work out. This was the most horrific experience. Standing there watching your vehicle burn on the highway with all your possession in trunk. We were coming back from a dance competition. You could just imagine how sad the kids were to see dance bags go up in flames. I’m thankful that everyone got out in time because as soon as I pulled over the whole front end was in flames. We are all still having horrible flashbacks till this day. No one should have to experience this in their life.

I was very disappointed with Hyundai as no apology was given to me at all. I had to go into Hyundai to collect all maintenance paperwork for my insurance company and I was not treated at all with sympathy at all. I have reach out before regarding this incident but have not been successful on getting my story out. I do not want this to happen to one more person. It’s really a life changing experience that no one should have to go through. If the engine fails once please don’t replace it. Just give the person a new vehicle. Obviously the new replacement engine is still faulty.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I was driving in NJ on Route 80 toward the Delaware water gap. Road conditions were great. The posted speed limit is 65 MPH. I set my cruise control at 65MPH and progressed. Three times while the vehicle was traveling on the downside of a slight hill the vehicle engine revved up to about 5500 RPM. The vehicle did not speed up or slow down it just traveled at the set speed while the engine RPM's were at 5500. I was able to stop the revving of the engine by stepping on the brake and disconnecting the cruise control. This happened several times.

I contacted Hyundai who had me schedule an appointment at one of their dealers. The dealer service tech stated that the cruise control system was working as designed and should not be used on "major inclines". The Hyundai manual goes further to describe that the cruise control should not be used on inclines or declines in excess of 6 degrees. So I feel the Hyundai 2017 Santa Fe owners or future owners be aware that hey "should not use their cruise control on an incline or declines greater than 6 degrees! Do you have any idea of what 6 degrees looks like? Not a great incline/decline. I will rethink my next vehicle...

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL that I really like driving with exception to 1 huge problem on the suspension that keeps on bottoming out when driving over a small pothole or bump. I brought it into the dealer 4 times to see what the problem is and they say all the vehicle are doing that and there is nothing they can do about it. This is the poor design of the SUV and I was wondering how many other people are having the same problem.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Purchased an used/new Santa Fe in Oct 2018. It had a software update recall in March 2019. The update caused the engine to seize. The replacement engine is on back order. Although the dealer has given me a loaner car. It's an Elantra, which is smaller and does not have the features of my Santa Fe. I contacted Hyundai on April 18, when I couldn't get an ETA of when my vehicle would be fixed. I was told at that time, May 17. Well today is May 17 and the dealer just gave me an estimated ETA of June 3. Both Hyundai and the dealer lack in communication skills. If I didn't reach out to them and keep calling them I would not know what's going on with my vehicle. Hyundai says that they care about their customers. However, in my experience over the last few months is that they don't. My contact at Hyundai won't even help me with Blue Link, which is a service that I pay for.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Without fail, the control arm bushings will wear out on your Santa Fe at 100K miles. This is widely known on the web. The cost is $2K+ and makes up 50% of the total cost of ownership of the car. It’s a shame they don’t have the option to repair the bushing only ($100) vs. replacing the entire control arm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: May 8, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe sport started to lose paint where tiny paint chips were on the front of my hood. Paint the of a quarter started flying off when I took it to a hand held car wash. The pressure wasn’t strong enough to take off the dirt, but the paint flew off. Hyundai will not back the paint, because my SUV is over the 36,000 - 3 year warranty. Never had paint peel like this on any other car I have owned in my 64 years of life. This is my first and last Hyundai! Companies need to back defective products!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo Sport. I've taken it in 3 times for oil consumption tests. And It burns 1 Q every 2,800 miles. They did a recall on my engine and ever since then, it burns oil. I use synthetic. I usually change the oil every 3-4,000 miles and he said I didn't have to until 6,000. I have 76,000 miles. 2 people told me it's burning oil. What do I do? Is it really normal?

Original review: April 23, 2019

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe @ 12,000 miles per year. I wrote out a check for $3,800 down for a $353.00 payment a month. A few days later I got a call from the dealership stating the that their head of finance had (lost the check). With this information I had to revisit the dealership and write out another check for $3,800 dollars. At the end of the lease, I turned in the vehicle in excellent condition with only 14,000 miles driven out of 36,000 miles.

Shortly after turning in the vehicle I received an invoice from Hyundai Finance for a total of $625 dollars. $400 dollars for what they called a (Disposition Fee) and $225 (Excess Wear Fee). I contacted Hyundai Finance to inquire what these fees were for? They explained that the (Disposition Fee) was for transporting the vehicle back to the main dealer. *In actuality, these vehicles are sent straight to auction to be sold "as is." The $225 (Excess Wear Fee) was for a scratch on the bumper? This amount is turned into a credit reporting agency if not paid. My credit score is 822 or excellent. Effectively stating that you must pay the amount or your credit score will be adversely affected. In summary (Hyundai Finance) is extorting money from a multitude of people daily. It is for this reason that I will never lease a Hyundai vehicle again and I will advise anyone not to purchase or lease a Hyundai.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I purchased a 2014 used Santa Fe XL in Feb 2018. I paid 22,000 for this vehicle. Paid cash. Sale person very nice. I left and pickup after it was checked and said everything in working order. To my surprise and disappointment the air condition did not work. No I did not purchase the very expensive extended warranty. Took back to dealship I bought from. They said hard to tell if air conditioning working in winter. They were unable to find problem but put something in and got it working. At that time I was told they would only cover 1/2 of this repair and may have to come back to fix properly in few weeks. The air ran all summer so thought they must have fixed it. Also was told when problem arose again would cover 1/2 never meantion time limit.

I tried on Apr 17th to put air on a not working again. I made phone call to Hyundia dealer Simcoe and looked up past troubles and said too much time lapsed and would not cover 1/2 anymore. I feel so riped off. I did sign a paper originally that said my vehicle was I great working condition.22,000 was a very big purchase for me and never have I driven a vehicle that air didnt work after paying that much money. I plan on sing this rip off to as many that will listen. Will never buy a Hyundia again with this type of service. Frustrated Sharon **.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I got my new Santa Fe Sport 2017 2 years ago, now with 15,000 miles on it, the engine went in a hill, I can't believe! it's dead, check engine light start to blink and then 1/2 power until I could stop in the side road. What a piece of crap! 400 dollars a month for nothing, the warranty of course cover the damage but now I have to wait more than a month without the truck! If you guys out there read this don't buy a Hyundai! Very cheap! Don't waste your money.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information