1.57/5
Based on 114 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

173 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Brand new Hyundai Santa Fe 2015. I'm 2nd owner. Paint is peeling rust on the roof. Only 58,000 miles. Hyundai doesn't want to fix it. I'm ready to file another lawsuit against Hyundai like the one filed on 2017. If you have the same issue contact me. This is nothing new. All vehicles made by them have the same issue. Now I feel shy to drive this thing. Full of rust in the streets and new paint falling every day and a car that I'm paying every month. Never ever buying this piece of trash ever again. Hyundai sucks. Also still under corrosion warranty but Hyundai doesn't want to cover the fix or replacement of the vehicle because they say corrosion is too small. Little dots. I bet by the end of when I finish paying this car by 2023 it will be a piece of rotten trash full of corrosion.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I bought the car for $500. It was the price that lead me to this purchase. However, once I owned the vehicle, I loved it and the way it drives and the spaciousness of the interior. Not too big. Perfect sized SUV for us. My children are grown up and I now have a husky and two rat terriers to tote around. They love riding around in the Santa Fe. The stereo doesn't work properly. However, you can plug in an aux cord and play music from another device. Other than the stereo not working, it has been a great purchase.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My Hyundai Santa Fe has great tushy-warmers and after-factory backup sensors. It also gives a comfortable ride, and I like how high up I feel in it. I can see above the traffic. I feel safe in this car because it has a high safety rating. It is over 10 years old and still handles well. However, I wish it had built-in backup sensors, because the ones I had installed no longer work. Also wish it was Bluetooth ready, so I could connect my iPhone and talk hands free.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have found the SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) to be economical, reliable and full of many built in safety features. I have had this make of car before that provided me with more than 200,000 miles of service. I have owned several other makes that don't have the style and features my Santa Fe does. I like the comfort and I have found the acceleration to be wonderful and the eco system great. However, I would improve the overall miles per gallon economy and include lane departure and front end braking. I also would add back seat climate control, front end alert and lane deviation warning.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My Sante Fe was my favorite car ever and I loved the way it rode and drove. I needed all wheel or 4 wheel drive for the snow in the area. It was also very roomy, so it fit 5 people comfortably, even with the car seat in the back. But it would've been nice to have a remote car starter. I also would have liked to have separate heat and air settings for the back seat. Nonetheless, I would buy another Hyundai Santa Fe in a heartbeat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I thoroughly checked out everything about the Hyundai Santa Fe's Carfax report and I researched different SUVs on the internet. This vehicle keeps me up a little high, but not too high. Just right where I want to be. I love the heated seats in the winter and they don't get too hot in the summer. It is a smooth ride both in town and highway driving. It gets good gas mileage and handles pretty good in the snow. I have been run into a ditch by another vehicle and even without the vehicle having no 4WD I managed to get out the ditch without any problems. However, I would have more lighting by the heating and air controls. There is lighting on the screen but none on the buttons and you can't see them very well at night. Other than that, it is a really great vehicle and I would both purchase another one, but I would recommend it as well.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I love my 2011 Santa Fe. I chose this vehicle because it was within my price range, the brand was a reliable one, the car was only on the lot for 2 days, it had most of the features I wanted and I liked the color. I also like having the compass on the mirror and the electric driver seat reposition feature. The size of the car both inside and out were important as well.

I love the way it handles. I have had very little problem with it and the few that I did have were solved quickly. It gets decent gas mileage around town and when I was going 299 miles every other week on the highway, it got even better miles. However, my vehicle did not have the dual controls for the heating/a/c system when I bought it off the lot and I would have that feature more than any other. I also would have a backup camera in my next vehicle.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Driving down a street 35 mph, the 2013 Tuscon engine made loud sound all the lights came on and car shuddered and would not drive. Moved to side of road and towed to dealership. Theta-ii engine seized. Not repairable. Dealership and manufacture refused to help in any way despite known problem. Recalls has been made on this same engine in the Sonata and Santa Fe but not the Tuscon. Eventually traded in as cost to replace engine with used engine (no new ones available) was prohibitive. Received trade in of $3500 Blue book value $9000. Manufacture was nonchalant and said they could not help us. We asked about the warranty and they said their warranty is only for original owner. We went to a Hyundai dealership and did not find that information anywhere! Dealership offered to sell us a new Hyundai. Will never buy their products again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has the best warranty in the auto industry, deservedly so. The brand is the ONLY one which, in one year, had NO recalls whatsoever for ANY reason. It's the first brand new vehicle I've owned in 16 years, and the advancements in styling, build, electronics, handling, and safety features are stunningly impressive. Gas mileage is double my previous car, travels farther and more fuel efficiently, and is eco-friendly as a result. For years I've wanted to acquire this vehicle, and haven't had one single reason to regret doing so. It will be the last car I ever buy... I expect it will last that long!

Original review: May 2, 2018

It is well built and lots of room. All the latest updates. Some dealers will really work with price if you are patient. Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2017 is a very good value.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The only problem I have had with the Hyundai Santa Fe is with the dimmer switch. If you hit it a little off center you turn the lights off. This was scary. One other thing is that the seat belt does not always retract when exiting the vehicle and then gets caught in the door.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have three Santa Fe. Two is AWD, only thing I find the electrical is not that great. Though, minor. But parts are not cheap and hard to find online at a decent price. I go through my friends that has shops to get me a better price.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Car like ride, good gas mileage combination local & highway, 20-27 mpg. Fairly easy to maintain/Repair for D.I.Y. and Parts readily available. Also, Hyundai Santa Fe has 5 star safety rating for 2008.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Hyundai Santa Fe has paint problems. Paint chipping off the hood and roof. Bought the vehicle new in 2014. I have owned cars upwards of 20 years old, and I've never seen a paint problem anywhere close to this one, especially after just 4 years.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Safety Recall - Metal Debris from factory machining - Recommended oil is synthetic which I continuously run in my Santa Fe. At the time of recall I asked what the recommended oil is and was advised synthetic. When I booked my appointment for the recall I asked that synthetic was replaced as the oil and filter would be removed during the recall. I was told by Hyundai Canada and the dealership that regular oil would be put in and that I would need to pay the difference. My complaint is that I put the recommended oil in the vehicle as per Hyundai manual yet during the recall Hyundai would not replace with the recommended synthetic oil. I purchased, via Walmart, synthetic oil at a cost of $49 for the recall and would like to be refunded for the cost of synthetic oil. I am a returning customer to Hyundai. This is my second Santa Fe. Will not be a returning customer if not refunded.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I ordered a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe lease in 2014 that included a hitch for my boat. The salesman assured me it had one. Took delivery and the hitch had to be added at a "discounted" rate to me of $500. Turned in my lease and, unlike GM, Ford, Jaguar, Chrysler (any other manufacturer I had leased from) Hyundai charged me a $400 fee just to turn in the car. In addition to that, they said I had missed a payment a year earlier by over 30 days (which I could have since my computer was replaced about that time and that's where I keep all my monthly obligations). They reported it to the credit bureaus. The only black mark in 50 years! Actually... I had two... my first and LAST Hyundai... never again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with Blue Link subscription for 1 year. I called blue link customer service to see if there was any special discount they may have to renew my subscription as the service is very expensive. An agent offered me 40% off, however, he wasn’t able to apply it on his end, he said a supervisor will call me to do so in 2-3 business days. No one called. I called several times but all I get was the same response over and over again. It has been over a month. I decided to pay for the service online, which takes 24 hours to activate. 24 hours passed and no activation. Call back blue link, a reset was done, still not working. The agent submitted a request form for service expedition, which they say takes 3-4 weeks for someone to get back to me, or my other option was to take it to the Hyundai dealer to change the interface system...

At this point I was soo frustrated with all the incompetent service and all the running around I am getting. I decided to call the dealer and showed up, only to be told that they are only open Mon to Fri and I will have to leave my vehicle there for the whole day. I will never lease, or buy again from Hyundai or even use their blue link service again. There is no accountability, no follow up, and no guidance, and their customer service Dept is very inefficient. I emailed MyHyundai customer service and MyHyundai consumer affairs dept regarding this issue with no response.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My wife and I currently own 2 Hyundai vehicles, a 2013 Sonata and a 2014 Santa Fe Sport both of which use the 2.4l motor. Our issue began on night of 11/12/17. We were returning from visiting family in the Tampa area and a few miles from home our Santa Fe Sport began making knocking sound. At first I thought that something was possibly stuck under the car, or around the driveshaft, but upon arriving home realized the knocking was coming from the motor. On the 13th I dropped my vehicle off at a local mechanic for a routine oil change and to ask him to try and determine what the noise was and how to address the issue.

Being in sales I have the oil changed in my Santa Fe Sport every 3-4 weeks as I drive over 30,000 miles a year and rely heavily on my vehicle to earn a living. The mechanic reported back that he thought it was a bearing within the motor and that he did not recommend me driving the vehicle as it could potentially blow out the side of the engine block and seize the motor completely. At this point I had the vehicle towed to a local Hyundai dealer for a diagnostic to be completed. The diagnostic resulted in the dealership informing us that my entire engine needed to be replaced! They reached out to Hyundai Motor America in an attempt to try and have the engine covered under warranty or recall notice. This request was ultimately denied because I was not the original owner and therefore was not entitled to the 100,000 mile warranty and I was also informed that my VIN did not qualify for the recall from earlier in 2017.

Upon further research and found that the recall, which impacted my wife's vehicle, was released earlier in 2017 for the 2.4l motor in 2013 and 2014 Sonata and Santa Fe Sport vehicles. They were being recalled due to engine failures caused by a machining issue that caused bearing wear and then premature engine failure. When I inquired as to why the Santa Fe Sport was not covered under this recall, as it seemed to be my exact problem, I was told that my VIN number was not on the recalled list and therefore would not be covered and that was all the information anyone could provide to me. Upon attempting to escalating my concerns at the dealership level was told that there was nothing else that could be done and I was instructed to reach out to Hyundai Motor America and file a case and report back to the dealership, which I did.

I was informed by the agent at Hyundai Motor America that my case was already marked as a final decision and that nothing could be done, there was no one else I could speak to, no one to override the decision, nothing. The only thing I could do was reach out to Hyundai Motor America via email or written letter. So at this time I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport with less than 100,000 miles and motor that needs complete replacement due to a bearing failure that is a known issue and has already been involved in over a million recalled vehicles.

I purchased the Santa Fe Sport at a used dealership with 21,000 miles and have documented proof of my oil changes, as I expense them for my job and do not neglect my vehicle, but none of this mattered to Hyundai and I was provided an estimate to repair my vehicle with a refurbished motor for $7,867.66! At this point I am at a loss I can either pay the nearing $8,000 repair bill or I can trade in the vehicle at $3000 toward something else and take a massive loss. This is a known motor issue and I feel it was something that should have been covered under recall. I feel that I cannot be alone in this issue.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

In November 2016, I bought a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo with 40453 mile from a local dealer. On a family road trip on June 3 of 2017, my car without warning started rapping and knocking and eventually seized up and left us stranded on the side of the road. It was towed to the nearest Hyundai dealership. Turns out there was a pending recall on the motor in which due to a faulty manufacturing process metal pieces were in my engine causing it to fail. After 72 days, a motor was located and installed and I was able to get my car back on August 17. On September 19th, my car started to have issues and I returned to my Hyundai dealership in CT. They kept it for a week and made several repairs with instruction to return the following week to complete a repair on the 4 wheel drive. I returned as instructed and complained that my vehicle was still giving me an intermittent problem which seemed worse in the cold.

They told me the problem was a Turbo lag that could not be fixed. I complained to Hyundai USA and they agreed with the dealership that it was a turbo lag due to poor design of the vehicle - the vehicle is too heavy for the turbo and I should just always warm my car up or know that it was going to have this problem... The car will not accelerate over 20mph while the tachometer revs up to 7000 rpm. This caused a safety hazard as we tried to enter 495 in Massachusetts and could not get out of the way of cars speeding by us. In my frustration, I googled Hyundai problems and saw several complaints with Hyundai's that performed the same way. One complaint included a video of their vehicle doing the exact same thing as mine and they said after they repaired the "wastegate actuator", they no longer had any issues.

I called the dealership and asked if that could be my problem and I also contacted Hyundai USA to tell them that I was still having a severe problem and would like to have the wastegate actuator looked at. The service advisor at the dealerships response was "that could absolutely be the problem, let me do some research and I'll call you back. Its still under warranty, don't worry". Have not heard back from him, but I have heard from Hyundai USA. Hyundai USA says they contacted the dealership who said they checked the actuator and it was fine and that there would be no further repairs to my car unless I paid for it myself.

The mileage on my car is 52400 and the warranty is supposed to be til 60,000. They will not pay for any further repairs as they say there is no problem with my car. There is definitely a problem! The repair order from the dealership does not list any work on anything to do with the Turbo or Waste Gate Actuator or that it was inspected.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

When we bought our brand new Hyundai Santa Fe the salesperson told us we had a bumper to bumper warranty for 100k miles. After not even a year my vehicle had rust on the hood. I called Hyundai and they would not cover due to paint having a separate warranty. When I told them I was told bumper to bumper they told me I should have read the 20 pages of documents they gave me. I assumed they would be honest and I didn’t need to worry about reading every last page of the agreement. I told a friend of mine who also owned a Hyundai about my dealings with Hyundai and he was told the same thing bumper to bumper for 100k. No one year vehicle should have rust on it! If you buy a vehicle from Hyundai I pray you never have any issues and need to call customer service because they are TERRIBLE!!

The last encounter we had: just needed to know process required for selling our vehicle which still has financing, a copy of title, and letter stating car would be paid off once we sold vehicle to private party. You would have thought we were speaking a different language. No one knew what to do and we were actually hung up on THREE times because no one felt like dealing with our requests. I finally had enough, after being on the phone for almost an hour, decided to call back one more time (now it was 10 minutes before they closed) and asked immediately to speak to a manager. She asked me a ton of questions for the next 6 minutes and then proceeded to tell me they were closed and if I wanted to speak to a manager I would have to call back tomorrow. I can’t wait to sell my vehicle and NEVER have to deal with Hyundai again.

I can’t stress it enough, do not buy a Hyundai! I thought saving $10k on a new vehicle would be worth it. If it’s too good to be true it probably is!! My car is only 5 years old and is worth next to nothing now! These cars do not hold their value and this company is TERRIBLE to deal with. If I could give them a zero star I would!! I am so dissatisfied with them and I never write reviews! Buyers beware!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Santa Fe - I bought this car at 30,000 miles and have had non-stop mechanical issues with this vehicle. About 1 month ago all my oil basically just fell out from under the car. I had it towed to the dealership and was told it was a plug in the short block that was faulty. I asked what the remedy was and they said basically you need a new motor. The plug cannot be fixed on these, you need to purchase a new motor. Who builds cars like this... HYUNDAI does.

I contacted them and told them of this defect and I said even though I'm the 2nd owner you should fix this defect. So they jerked me around for about three weeks and then said no they won't stand by their product. So, now my sole hobby will be to make sure the world knows about Hyundai, oh... By the way these Santa Fes are just glorified Kias. They are basically interchangeable parts wise. If I had know this I wouldn't have bought this car. Just know that Hyundai puts out small defects on their motors that will require you to replace the motor, no kidding!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I was having trouble with my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. It was leaking oil at an alarming rate. I would go for an oil change and 2 weeks later, I would not have any oil in my car. I didn't understand why my oil light never went on, why no one could locate the leak, or why my Blue Link was not reporting any issues with the engine of the car. My car ended up catching on fire. It was a devastating experience, the car was not even on, it was fully engulfed within the time of me going into a convenience store to get milk. When I look at my Blue Link report, it continues to tell me, that everything is all good. Right down to the tire pressure being good, and I watched those blow up in the fire.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Hyundai is a very reliable automobile manufacturer. The Santa Fe Sport has exceptional power for a four cylinder crossover and provides good gas mileage. It is much roomier than the Tucson, yet not as cumbersome as the full-size Santa Fe. Comfortable for traveling long distances and has plenty of leg room in the back seat. Perfect for my spouse, my beagle, and myself.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I had a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, it was my 2nd Santa Fe, and 5th Hyundai in my family. The car was having issues with an oil leak, though my oil light never came on, and the service I paid extra for, called "Blue Link" never reported any issues. It caught on fire and was totaled. This was a very scary and frustrating event. The monthly "Blue Link Report" is still saying My burnt Hyundai is still working properly with no issues.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I purchased a brand new 2012 Santa Fe in June of that year. Always kept up with oil changes and took care of things as they occurred. We purchased the extended warranty along with undercoating and interior Scotchgard for upholstery. About a month and a half ago I heard a tappet noise only on cold start. I took vehicle into dealer and explained my issue. They told me leave vehicle and they would check it out. About 4 hours later they called and me what I would have never guessed in a million years that I needed a new engine. I was shocked, they told me that it like oil wasn't changed.

I didn't save all my receipts, so I had to track down my receipts and I even had to go to the mechanics that I had worked on vehicle in the past. Luckily they were able to retrieve my old receipts along trying to locate my old file cabinet to find the receipts I had on hand. I took the receipts into dealer (Ettleson Hyundai in Hodgkins, IL). I waited almost two weeks for outcome. They tell me that I had to come up $8000.00 to replace engine. They don't want to honor the warranty. Based on what I have seen and read on your reviews I will be a strong advocate against anyone to ever buy these cars. The company should go bankrupt. Is there any lawyers out there that could give any advice regarding this issue?

Original review: July 11, 2017

On June 29 my wife drove our 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe from Dandridge Tn. to Knoxville Tn. about 40 miles to pick up a friend at the hospital. When she got within sight of the hospital the car died and the oil light and battery light came on. There were not any lights prior to this that came on and the car was not running hot at all. We had the car towed home. The tow driver that picked up the car restarted it and it did not have any warning lights on and the driver drove it onto his flatbed and hauled it to our house, backed it off the truck and we backed it into the garage. We called Hyundai of Morristown and roadside assistance to take the car there.

When that driver came I pulled the car out of the garage and down the drive to the back of the flat bed and left it running. The driver pulled it up onto his flatbed again no warning lights were on. The dealer told my wife that the engine had no oil and the engine was burnt up and had sludge. They told my wife that we did not change the oil and that is what caused the engine to fail and it would cost us $8000.00 to replace the engine. I was on the internet looking for a used engine when an article came up on a settled class action law suit and recall on various Kia's and also included the 2014 Hyundai Santa fe with the 2.4 liter engine due to metal shaving in the crankshaft from machining causing engine failure. I printed the article and went to the dealer to the service department.

The service manager told me that the recall did not include our VIN # and that the engine failure was caused from not changing the engine oil and that their records showed that we had only taken it to them 1 time for an oil change. I told the service manager that I had been changing my oil myself. She ask me if I had receipts to show that. I did not keep the receipts for the oil and filters, I did not think I would have to prove to anyone that I had been changing the oil. I ask her where the oil had went and she said that there were no leaks and she had seen engines that the oil had not been changed in and that I had caused the engine to burn up because I had not changed the oil. She said that the engine was bone dry and had sludge in it.

We were in the general manager's office and were both getting heated so I ended the conversation and left. I called the customer care center and filed a claim and was told that what was sent to the warranty department was that the radiator was low and that the overflow was dry, that they had tried two different dip sticks and could not get any liquid to show. They also said that the oil light was staying on at idle and they had to add 5 and 1/2 quarts of oil. I have tried to get to someone to have them talk to the tow truck drivers to show that the dealer had dishonest but have not been successful so far. The dealer has been deceitful about this. They have not answered the question as to why we got no warning lights or overheating until the car stalled and quit. I have owned 2 Kia's and a Hyundai and after this experience I will never own another and when I get my Santa Fe back I will probably trade it in on another brand car.

Original review: May 24, 2017

On May 10th, I purchased a 2017 Santa Fe Sport Luxury with 5,000 km on it. On May 17th, 2017 I went to back into my drive-way and my car jerked like I had hit something. I got out and looked, nothing, I was in the middle of the road, I knew I hadn't but I checked just in case. I had trouble backing up into my driveway. I was off work the next day and didn't drive it. May 19th, I drove to work, went to back into my spot, my car jerked, it wasn't going, I tried a few times, I eventually left it as it was, out of my spot a bit.

I called my salesperson, he told me to bring it in. I showed up. The female mechanic tested it and said it definitely had a problem but also heard the transmission grinding. She told me that they didn't have any spare cars on the lot and that it was safe to drive to come back Tuesday May 23rd. I mentioned that I had an appointment on May 25th, if she feels it's safe, should I just come back then? She told me it was perfectly safe. I told her I was scared to drive it, she told me it would be fine and repeated 3 times to not be scared.

Later that evening I went out and had to back up out of a spot at a mall. The car delayed then jumped back, I nearly hit someone. Since it was after hours I had to wait until Saturday morning to call the dealership. May 20th, 2017, I called my salesperson at 8:50 am left a message. We spoke at 10 am, he told me he would speak with his manager and get back to me within the next 2 hours. He said he would see if he could lend me his car but he wasn't sure if the Manager would allow it. At 12:30 I tried to call the sales person back, I got the machine. I went to the dealership and demanded to speak with the manager. They were horrified that I was told to drive the car and they found me a demo to drive until they figure out the problem with my car.

The mechanic denied saying that it was safe to drive and that I had insisted on keeping the car until May 25th. The salesperson later called me to apologize at 2:43 pm. 5 hours later on a Saturday and they close at 5 pm. I told him that customer service was on this matter was not good. If he couldn't help me at the time because he was busy, he should have had someone else call me. On May 23rd I received a call from the mechanic and the Manager to advise that my new car needs a new transmission. I will be without my new car for two weeks. I only actually drove it for 5 out of the 7 days of owning it.

I was told by the mechanic that she contacted Hyundai Canada to make them aware of that this type of thing shouldn't happen. But from what I have read on here, it seems to be a regular problem. I also asked the mechanic if I could get another vehicle, the mechanic replied that generally once a transmission is replaced, I won't have any more problems. I'm very disappointed after spending over $45,000 on this car that I got a lemon. My very first SUV. I thought they made cars better now. I will be horrified if I continue to have problems after this.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I have had my 1st Santa Fe 2002 brand new! Never had a problem with it. Since then went back and got a Tiburon and two other Accents. Great cars. Last month March 25, 2017 decided traded in my old Santa Fe (189,000 miles) for a brand new one. At 600 miles notice a strange sound. Took it in. At this point the dealership telling me it needs a brand new transmission! Haven't had my car for even a month!

I did contact Hyundai Corp. My case lady answers her phone right away and calls back right away along with the dealership and service dept. Yes. They have great customer service. But at this point. They have given me a rental car, but what will they do next? No one wants a brand new car that has already been torn apart. That's why I got brand new. Not a used one. I do hope they buy back the car and just give me a new one. This was the 5th car we have got from Hyundai and from the same dealer. I just made my 1st car payment yesterday on a brand new broken down car. :(

Original review: April 8, 2017

I am writing to make Santa Fe owners aware of a problem I encountered which not only was a very costly blow but was a significant inconvenience to my family's Xmas holiday. While driving to the US for a ski holiday shortly after Xmas my engine started rattling. No warning lights but it was significant enough that I knew I needed to pull over. Someone checked it out and told me not to drive it any longer. We checked the oil and it was like tar. Very strange since I perform regular oil changes and my last change was 5,400 km's ago. Turned out Hyundai said it was a lower engine problem and I needed a new engine.

I purchased this vehicle New in 2013 and have taken care of it. How does this happen with a new vehicle. I was out of warranty so it cost me $5,400. I read up on Hyundai's and discovered that many others are experiencing this problem. Primarily the Sonata's in the same year. Apparently a problem at the plant with the cleaning equipment in the lower engine. I wrote Hyundai and they told me that there is no issue with the Santa Fe's. I am certain that there are others who are experiencing this and I feel more need to make Hyundai aware so they can recall these engines. Has anyone else had similar issues???

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I always had a great experience with the Hyundai dealer/service department by my house, but dealing with Hyundai directly is another story. At around 65,000 miles, my engine light went on and my fuel sensors stopped working. I did research and found that MANY other 2007-2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUVs were having this problem. The dealer kept telling me that this would most likely never become a recall, even though I felt like it should be, since it isn't usually something that fails on a car. I decided that I had no problem using the odometer to track when I needed to fill my gas tank because I didn't have $650 to spend. I did this for just about 2 years and I planned on doing this for the life of my car. Then, I took my Hyundai Santa Fe in for the most recent recall (rust on the suspension). The dealer told me that I needed to get the fuel sensor fixed because otherwise my car wouldn't pass emissions.

I called Hyundai to see if they would cover the cost since many other cars seem to be having a similar problem and fuel sensors aren't usually something that goes wrong on a car. The lady I spoke with said that I would need to get the work done, but then I could submit the paperwork for review. I said, "so I could pay and you guys may or may not cover it". She said, "I would suggest getting the work done and submitting the paperwork". To me, this sounds like I am going to be reimbursed. So, I got the work done and submitted the paperwork on Jan. 25.

I received an email saying that I'd hear from a case manager in 2-3 business days. I waited over a week and a half and heard nothing. So I emailed again, and received an email saying I'd hear from a case manager in 2-5 business days. Five days later I was told that they weren't going to pay for anything. Beware of buying a Hyundai vehicle. They don't take ownership for things that should be recalls.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information