3.62/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Last Sept 3, 2019, I went to the dealer because the time display on the AVN Head Unit disappeared. When the service advisor came, I showed him the problem and he stated that there is no fix for it, and a lot of owners came complaining about the same problem. I told him to have the technician look at it. After the technician inspected it, he stated that according to TSB 17-BE-019, the fix is to change the whole AVN head unit. I do not know why the service advisor lied to me.

Next thing is that the advisor special ordered the unit on September 3, 2019, and he stated he will call me when it arrives, It's been over a month now and I haven't heard from him. I tried calling last week and I have been told by the parts dept that there is no ETA for it. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THEY DON'T HAVE THIS PART IN THEIR WAREHOUSE. I'm still waiting and I believe I also bought the extended warranty on the vehicle which has only 45K miles on it. This is a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Ultimate.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited Ultimate on a Wednesday. Received it the following Thursday. A few days later, on Sunday, I noticed my garage smelled very strongly of gasoline and was able to narrow it down to the engine on the Santa Fe. On Monday I had it towed to the dealership and they decided they needed to order a replacement fuel injector. On Wednesday I called to check in on it and they told me another part was bad so they'd have to order it too and get it replaced. All in all, I've owned the vehicle for less than a week and it has been in the shop for 4 days with likely more to come. Probably the worst vehicle I've ever purchased. I would highly recommend avoiding Hyundai in general if this is what their quality control looks like.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

2017 Santa Fe Sport was purchased used with 49k miles in April of 2019. The first time we traveled out of town I set the drive mode to ECO. The Traction Control and Downhill Shifting lights came on and stayed on while traveling - felt a slight jerk when this happened and it caused slower acceleration rate. Turn car off and back on and it goes away. It happened again twice more before I put car in NORMAL drive mode. Last week I was traveling at 70 mph and the 'jerk' was so strong I felt like I was hit by another car from behind. My car literally braked by itself while going down the highway. This almost caused me to crash. The service tech at dealership claims they've never heard of this issue before. (There are hundreds of reports online.) Appt is scheduled for this week, hopefully they can figure it out. P.S. They will also be looking at the AC as it randomly decides when it wants to blow through the vents.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe caught fire suddenly while driving on the highway. This vehicle previously broke down in 2017 on the highway and I had to get it towed back to Sudbury Hyundai. They then decided to replace the engine. In 2018 Unfortunately 9000 km after the new engine it caught fire on the highway again with 5 people in my vehicle. I maintain my vehicle at Hyundai before leaving for this trip to make sure I would have no problems. Well that did not work out. This was the most horrific experience. Standing there watching your vehicle burn on the highway with all your possession in trunk. We were coming back from a dance competition. You could just imagine how sad the kids were to see dance bags go up in flames. I’m thankful that everyone got out in time because as soon as I pulled over the whole front end was in flames. We are all still having horrible flashbacks till this day. No one should have to experience this in their life.

I was very disappointed with Hyundai as no apology was given to me at all. I had to go into Hyundai to collect all maintenance paperwork for my insurance company and I was not treated at all with sympathy at all. I have reach out before regarding this incident but have not been successful on getting my story out. I do not want this to happen to one more person. It’s really a life changing experience that no one should have to go through. If the engine fails once please don’t replace it. Just give the person a new vehicle. Obviously the new replacement engine is still faulty.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I was driving in NJ on Route 80 toward the Delaware water gap. Road conditions were great. The posted speed limit is 65 MPH. I set my cruise control at 65MPH and progressed. Three times while the vehicle was traveling on the downside of a slight hill the vehicle engine revved up to about 5500 RPM. The vehicle did not speed up or slow down it just traveled at the set speed while the engine RPM's were at 5500. I was able to stop the revving of the engine by stepping on the brake and disconnecting the cruise control. This happened several times.

I contacted Hyundai who had me schedule an appointment at one of their dealers. The dealer service tech stated that the cruise control system was working as designed and should not be used on "major inclines". The Hyundai manual goes further to describe that the cruise control should not be used on inclines or declines in excess of 6 degrees. So I feel the Hyundai 2017 Santa Fe owners or future owners be aware that hey "should not use their cruise control on an incline or declines greater than 6 degrees! Do you have any idea of what 6 degrees looks like? Not a great incline/decline. I will rethink my next vehicle...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL that I really like driving with exception to 1 huge problem on the suspension that keeps on bottoming out when driving over a small pothole or bump. I brought it into the dealer 4 times to see what the problem is and they say all the vehicle are doing that and there is nothing they can do about it. This is the poor design of the SUV and I was wondering how many other people are having the same problem.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Purchased an used/new Santa Fe in Oct 2018. It had a software update recall in March 2019. The update caused the engine to seize. The replacement engine is on back order. Although the dealer has given me a loaner car. It's an Elantra, which is smaller and does not have the features of my Santa Fe. I contacted Hyundai on April 18, when I couldn't get an ETA of when my vehicle would be fixed. I was told at that time, May 17. Well today is May 17 and the dealer just gave me an estimated ETA of June 3. Both Hyundai and the dealer lack in communication skills. If I didn't reach out to them and keep calling them I would not know what's going on with my vehicle. Hyundai says that they care about their customers. However, in my experience over the last few months is that they don't. My contact at Hyundai won't even help me with Blue Link, which is a service that I pay for.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Without fail, the control arm bushings will wear out on your Santa Fe at 100K miles. This is widely known on the web. The cost is $2K+ and makes up 50% of the total cost of ownership of the car. It’s a shame they don’t have the option to repair the bushing only ($100) vs. replacing the entire control arm.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe sport started to lose paint where tiny paint chips were on the front of my hood. Paint the of a quarter started flying off when I took it to a hand held car wash. The pressure wasn’t strong enough to take off the dirt, but the paint flew off. Hyundai will not back the paint, because my SUV is over the 36,000 - 3 year warranty. Never had paint peel like this on any other car I have owned in my 64 years of life. This is my first and last Hyundai! Companies need to back defective products!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo Sport. I've taken it in 3 times for oil consumption tests. And It burns 1 Q every 2,800 miles. They did a recall on my engine and ever since then, it burns oil. I use synthetic. I usually change the oil every 3-4,000 miles and he said I didn't have to until 6,000. I have 76,000 miles. 2 people told me it's burning oil. What do I do? Is it really normal?

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information