3.62/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Nice smooth ride. Any recalls are cared for immediately without the consumer having to bring to the service' attention. Price too high for the vehicle, especially for such few options (at ea. price point). The vehicle I traded in, cost less brand new with far more options on it than the "luxury" version of the used Sport purchased. It doesn't hold a lot of things and it can't carry anything longer than 6 ft. front to back. Passengers like the smooth ride. Easy getting in and out. Front seats easy to move. Back seats are really difficult to move. Good storage areas.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

I bought my Santa Fe second handed from a Hyundai dealership. It's a 2008. I've had it for 6 years & have kept up with regular maintenance. I have not had any problems with it. I commute over 50 miles each day, this car is great in the snow, I feel safe driving it to work & home. Also it's very roomy & seems comfortable.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

As we now have a Hyundai Elantra and have been very happy with it, we have actually test driven a Hyundai Santa Fe. I also rented one earlier this on a business trip. On both occasions, the experience was an excellent one. Easy to handle, comfortable ride, fairly quiet inside, good mileage and very good placement and ease of use of all the driving controls and electronic use. When my wife decides she is ready for a new car, that is what it will be.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

When is Hyundai going to have a total recall on their wheel sensor speed control for the ABS system? It's ridiculous that these speed sensors fail with so little mileage on these cars! The biggest cost problems is the outrageous price the dealers charge to repair! Close to $3,000.00. Other car manufacturers have zero complaints on speed sensor failures Hyundai needs to get the speed sensor problem fixed for the ABS system. Now ASAP!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Last Sept 3, 2019, I went to the dealer because the time display on the AVN Head Unit disappeared. When the service advisor came, I showed him the problem and he stated that there is no fix for it, and a lot of owners came complaining about the same problem. I told him to have the technician look at it. After the technician inspected it, he stated that according to TSB 17-BE-019, the fix is to change the whole AVN head unit. I do not know why the service advisor lied to me.

Next thing is that the advisor special ordered the unit on September 3, 2019, and he stated he will call me when it arrives, It's been over a month now and I haven't heard from him. I tried calling last week and I have been told by the parts dept that there is no ETA for it. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THEY DON'T HAVE THIS PART IN THEIR WAREHOUSE. I'm still waiting and I believe I also bought the extended warranty on the vehicle which has only 45K miles on it. This is a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited Ultimate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited Ultimate on a Wednesday. Received it the following Thursday. A few days later, on Sunday, I noticed my garage smelled very strongly of gasoline and was able to narrow it down to the engine on the Santa Fe. On Monday I had it towed to the dealership and they decided they needed to order a replacement fuel injector. On Wednesday I called to check in on it and they told me another part was bad so they'd have to order it too and get it replaced. All in all, I've owned the vehicle for less than a week and it has been in the shop for 4 days with likely more to come. Probably the worst vehicle I've ever purchased. I would highly recommend avoiding Hyundai in general if this is what their quality control looks like.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

2017 Santa Fe Sport was purchased used with 49k miles in April of 2019. The first time we traveled out of town I set the drive mode to ECO. The Traction Control and Downhill Shifting lights came on and stayed on while traveling - felt a slight jerk when this happened and it caused slower acceleration rate. Turn car off and back on and it goes away. It happened again twice more before I put car in NORMAL drive mode. Last week I was traveling at 70 mph and the 'jerk' was so strong I felt like I was hit by another car from behind. My car literally braked by itself while going down the highway. This almost caused me to crash. The service tech at dealership claims they've never heard of this issue before. (There are hundreds of reports online.) Appt is scheduled for this week, hopefully they can figure it out. P.S. They will also be looking at the AC as it randomly decides when it wants to blow through the vents.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe caught fire suddenly while driving on the highway. This vehicle previously broke down in 2017 on the highway and I had to get it towed back to Sudbury Hyundai. They then decided to replace the engine. In 2018 Unfortunately 9000 km after the new engine it caught fire on the highway again with 5 people in my vehicle. I maintain my vehicle at Hyundai before leaving for this trip to make sure I would have no problems. Well that did not work out. This was the most horrific experience. Standing there watching your vehicle burn on the highway with all your possession in trunk. We were coming back from a dance competition. You could just imagine how sad the kids were to see dance bags go up in flames. I’m thankful that everyone got out in time because as soon as I pulled over the whole front end was in flames. We are all still having horrible flashbacks till this day. No one should have to experience this in their life.

I was very disappointed with Hyundai as no apology was given to me at all. I had to go into Hyundai to collect all maintenance paperwork for my insurance company and I was not treated at all with sympathy at all. I have reach out before regarding this incident but have not been successful on getting my story out. I do not want this to happen to one more person. It’s really a life changing experience that no one should have to go through. If the engine fails once please don’t replace it. Just give the person a new vehicle. Obviously the new replacement engine is still faulty.

Original review: July 15, 2019

I was driving in NJ on Route 80 toward the Delaware water gap. Road conditions were great. The posted speed limit is 65 MPH. I set my cruise control at 65MPH and progressed. Three times while the vehicle was traveling on the downside of a slight hill the vehicle engine revved up to about 5500 RPM. The vehicle did not speed up or slow down it just traveled at the set speed while the engine RPM's were at 5500. I was able to stop the revving of the engine by stepping on the brake and disconnecting the cruise control. This happened several times.

I contacted Hyundai who had me schedule an appointment at one of their dealers. The dealer service tech stated that the cruise control system was working as designed and should not be used on "major inclines". The Hyundai manual goes further to describe that the cruise control should not be used on inclines or declines in excess of 6 degrees. So I feel the Hyundai 2017 Santa Fe owners or future owners be aware that hey "should not use their cruise control on an incline or declines greater than 6 degrees! Do you have any idea of what 6 degrees looks like? Not a great incline/decline. I will rethink my next vehicle...

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have a 2017 Santa Fe XL that I really like driving with exception to 1 huge problem on the suspension that keeps on bottoming out when driving over a small pothole or bump. I brought it into the dealer 4 times to see what the problem is and they say all the vehicle are doing that and there is nothing they can do about it. This is the poor design of the SUV and I was wondering how many other people are having the same problem.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information