3.6/5 (1206 ratings)

About Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

My vehicle is a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate with 39,000 miles. The clear coat has started peeling towards the back end of the roof and I've been told the warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles and there's no disputing the warranty. Definitely poor quality products are used if after 4 years the clear coat is peeling. After this experience, any consideration to upgrading to the Palisades is no more!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

My vehicle was part of the 3G Sunset shutdown, but I qualified for the software update in order to keep my Bluelink services. I tried doing the update from their site, which was like building Rome, and it failed even though I completed every step. I contacted them, and spent another 3 hours trying to get it to work with their tech support, and it failed again. I asked them about the chip they were supposed to send out to customers, and they claimed they sent one to me...but it was to an address in a city I never lived in. They verified my address and said they would send out another one, and that I should get it in a week, but it never arrived.

I called them again after waiting for 3 weeks, and they said they sent it out on January 4th. Today is January 18th, and still no chip. I am just going to forget about the update. I am looking to purchase a new vehicle anyway, and you can be guaranteed that it WILL NOT be another Hyundai. I absolutely hate companies that give people the run around...and I hate liars even more. Especially when it is not necessary.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I own a Hyundai Tucson with 134,000 miles which was running great. I received several recall notices which I decided to honor on various engine and brake system parts. My car did have a rebuilt title but we had owned and driven it for many years starting at 18,000 miles. I took the car to the Johnson City, Tn. Hyundai Dealer for the recalls which were approved and done. After picking up the car it would not run and I was towed back to the dealer from Kingsport, Tn. after twenty minutes of driving. I was told by the dealer that the updates ruined my engine and it would now require a new engine to fix, but I would have to pay $12,000.00 for the repair. This is a crooked trick to pull on a Seventy Six year old man who needs his car. What is the solution? The dealer damaged my car, who pays for the damage?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I bought a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. Did all the repairs and oil changes as manufacturer recommended. Changed my oil pressure sensor, sparks plug and hose at 100k miles and at 105k miles my engine blew due to oil consumption issue which was not even 5k miles since I did my oil change. I Reached out to Hyundai due to it being a manufacturer defect for assistance with repairs but constantly got declined due to there not being any active recall for my specific 2.6 engine and me being 5k miles over their warranty. This car gave me no warning that my oil was low and that my engine was in jeopardy. I can say that I am one of the few that has nothing good to say regarding buying a Hyundai car. I’ve heard all the bad reviews and experienced it firsthand.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I was a loyal customer to Hyundai for years and years until I had that recall problem with my Santa Fe, the engine has failed completely, I was told that it is gonna take 3 to 6 months to repair, and you know what?? They do not offer any replacement or any rental, what should I do until then??? Should I buy another Hyundai?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe with $53,000. I stayed current on all oil changes and maintenance that need to be done on the vehicle. This particular day January 2022 the vehicle just stopped in the middle of the road. After getting it towed back to the dealership I found out that there has been a call back on the engine because it was burning too much oil. I contact the corporate office of Hyundai and they told me based on their valuation of the car the individual who purchased the car before me did maintenance to vehicle when it had 19,000 miles on it.

I explained to them I purchased the vehicle from a respectable dealership and it only have $53,000 miles on it when I purchase it so why am I being penalized for something that another person did not do to the vehicle before I purchase it. They told me because the other individual did not maintenance the vehicle properly they are turning down my claim to get a new engine. I'm very disappointed when I had nothing to do with with another person did with the vehicle. I am also disappointed that Hyundai are not going by their standards and also the what the lawsuit States. All I want is my vehicle repaired that's it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

I'll never buy another Hyundai again. The car has been great, but the service is the worst I have ever had with a car. It started with a recall, after the car was returned it had multiple warning lights blinking. I called to have it look into by my dealer Auto Nation Mall of Georgia and was told it would take four week before they could look at the problem. I ask if it was safe to drive and was told they could not say that.

I called another deal Hyundai Cumming Ga. and was told it would be five weeks before I could bring the car in the shop. So I guess we just park the car with only 45,500 miles on it for a month. I then called Hyundai customer service and was give case #**. I received a call a few days later from them by man with a very thick ** accent that I found very hard to understand. He told me I just had to wait for my turn to get my car fixed! Hyundai cars have improved over the years but they are being ruined by the service departments and customer service! I will make this know to the public in every way I can!! Never again Hyundai!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Car just over 5 years old with less that 40K miles. Interior trim specially window switches have their color fading and one has a piece broken. Window lock switch gets stuck and have to mess with it to release. Trim pieces such as the back mirror cover and seatbelt plastic covers keeps falling off. Once seatbelt would not easily click in and takes a lot of effort, which forced me to change my child's booster seat location. Warranty would not cover these, specially after 5 years even though it is mostly related to the very bad quality they use. I have a Nissan which I got from the dealer in 2007 and to this day it is holding better than the new Hyundai SUV which would not last half the time at this rate. Hyundai needs to work on their quality, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I'm paying the price.

Will never buy Hyundai again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We purchased a new Santa Fe Hybrid last summer. The vehicle is under warranty and has had a low coolant warning light on the dash for the past 3 months even though the level is full. The service center states they have no fix for this problem. I have also spoken with Hyundai corporate and they also state they have no fix for the vehicle. Customer service has been extremely poor and they have given us no timeline as to when or if the issue will be resolved. They have never offered to make this issue right in any way for us. Please take this inability to repair a new car under warranty as a caution before you purchase a new Hyundai.

Original review: June 22, 2022

This has been the worst customer experience of any product that I have had to date! Was driving through the mountains when the engine on my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T (96K miles) suddenly gave out and we had to pull over in the middle of nowhere. Ended up having to be towed 90 miles back to the dealership. We loved this car and had all services done either at the required time or earlier. Even though we have a 10 yr/100K warranty, Hyundai is refusing to replace a needed new engine. I finally got hooked up (via e-mail) to a Hyundai case manager who will not return my calls or e-mails. I have been calling and leaving messages as well as sending e-mails DAILY for over two weeks and I have received no contact back. In fact, I am not sure if he is even receiving my messages. No one else at Hyundai will help.

They keep saying the case manager will get back to you in 3 - 5 business days but I have heard that many, many times now and it never happens. That time passes and no one contacts me and, to date, my case manager has NEVER contacted me. The dealership says they are waiting to hear from the case manager before proceeding. The case manager is refusing to communicate with me or the dealership. In summary, over a month later, my Hyundai Santa Fe is still at the dealership and I cannot get anyone at Hyundai to contact me. I have no idea how or when this issue will be resolved. I have never been treated this way by ANY product or service I have worked with.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information