Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.49/5

Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

191 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I bought the car for $500. It was the price that lead me to this purchase. However, once I owned the vehicle, I loved it and the way it drives and the spaciousness of the interior. Not too big. Perfect sized SUV for us. My children are grown up and I now have a husky and two rat terriers to tote around. They love riding around in the Santa Fe. The stereo doesn't work properly. However, you can plug in an aux cord and play music from another device. Other than the stereo not working, it has been a great purchase.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have found the SUV (Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) to be economical, reliable and full of many built in safety features. I have had this make of car before that provided me with more than 200,000 miles of service. I have owned several other makes that don't have the style and features my Santa Fe does. I like the comfort and I have found the acceleration to be wonderful and the eco system great. However, I would improve the overall miles per gallon economy and include lane departure and front end braking. I also would add back seat climate control, front end alert and lane deviation warning.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My Sante Fe was my favorite car ever and I loved the way it rode and drove. I needed all wheel or 4 wheel drive for the snow in the area. It was also very roomy, so it fit 5 people comfortably, even with the car seat in the back. But it would've been nice to have a remote car starter. I also would have liked to have separate heat and air settings for the back seat. Nonetheless, I would buy another Hyundai Santa Fe in a heartbeat.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I love my 2011 Santa Fe. I chose this vehicle because it was within my price range, the brand was a reliable one, the car was only on the lot for 2 days, it had most of the features I wanted and I liked the color. I also like having the compass on the mirror and the electric driver seat reposition feature. The size of the car both inside and out were important as well.

I love the way it handles. I have had very little problem with it and the few that I did have were solved quickly. It gets decent gas mileage around town and when I was going 299 miles every other week on the highway, it got even better miles. However, my vehicle did not have the dual controls for the heating/a/c system when I bought it off the lot and I would have that feature more than any other. I also would have a backup camera in my next vehicle.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Purchased an used/new Santa Fe in Oct 2018. It had a software update recall in March 2019. The update caused the engine to seize. The replacement engine is on back order. Although the dealer has given me a loaner car. It's an Elantra, which is smaller and does not have the features of my Santa Fe. I contacted Hyundai on April 18, when I couldn't get an ETA of when my vehicle would be fixed. I was told at that time, May 17. Well today is May 17 and the dealer just gave me an estimated ETA of June 3. Both Hyundai and the dealer lack in communication skills. If I didn't reach out to them and keep calling them I would not know what's going on with my vehicle. Hyundai says that they care about their customers. However, in my experience over the last few months is that they don't. My contact at Hyundai won't even help me with Blue Link, which is a service that I pay for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: May 9, 2019

Without fail, the control arm bushings will wear out on your Santa Fe at 100K miles. This is widely known on the web. The cost is $2K+ and makes up 50% of the total cost of ownership of the car. It’s a shame they don’t have the option to repair the bushing only ($100) vs. replacing the entire control arm.

Original review: May 8, 2019

My 2014 Santa Fe sport started to lose paint where tiny paint chips were on the front of my hood. Paint the of a quarter started flying of when I took it to a hand held car wash. The pressure wasn’t strong enough to take off the dirt, but the paint flew off. Hyundai will not back the paint, because my SUV is over the 36,000 - 3 year warranty. Never had paint peel like this on any other car I have owned in my 64 years of life. This is my first and last Hyundai! Companies need to back defective products!

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo Sport. I've taken it in 3 times for oil consumption tests. And It burns 1 Q every 2,800 miles. They did a recall on my engine and ever since then, it burns oil. I use synthetic. I usually change the oil every 3-4,000 miles and he said I didn't have to until 6,000. I have 76,000 miles. 2 people told me it's burning oil. What do I do? Is it really normal?

Original review: April 23, 2019

I leased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe @ 12,000 miles per year. I wrote out a check for $3,800 down for a $353.00 payment a month. A few days later I got a call from the dealership stating the that their head of finance had (lost the check). With this information I had to revisit the dealership and write out another check for $3,800 dollars. At the end of the lease, I turned in the vehicle in excellent condition with only 14,000 miles driven out of 36,000 miles.

Shortly after turning in the vehicle I received an invoice from Hyundai Finance for a total of $625 dollars. $400 dollars for what they called a (Disposition Fee) and $225 (Excess Wear Fee). I contacted Hyundai Finance to inquire what these fees were for? They explained that the (Disposition Fee) was for transporting the vehicle back to the main dealer. *In actuality, these vehicles are sent straight to auction to be sold "as is." The $225 (Excess Wear Fee) was for a scratch on the bumper? This amount is turned into a credit reporting agency if not paid. My credit score is 822 or excellent. Effectively stating that you must pay the amount or your credit score will be adversely affected. In summary (Hyundai Finance) is extorting money from a multitude of people daily. It is for this reason that I will never lease a Hyundai vehicle again and I will advise anyone not to purchase or lease a Hyundai.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I purchased a 2014 used Santa Fe XL in Feb 2018. I paid 22,000 for this vehicle. Paid cash. Sale person very nice. I left and pickup after it was checked and said everything in working order. To my surprise and disappointment the air condition did not work. No I did not purchase the very expensive extended warranty. Took back to dealship I bought from. They said hard to tell if air conditioning working in winter. They were unable to find problem but put something in and got it working. At that time I was told they would only cover 1/2 of this repair and may have to come back to fix properly in few weeks. The air ran all summer so thought they must have fixed it. Also was told when problem arose again would cover 1/2 never meantion time limit.

I tried on Apr 17th to put air on a not working again. I made phone call to Hyundia dealer Simcoe and looked up past troubles and said too much time lapsed and would not cover 1/2 anymore. I feel so riped off. I did sign a paper originally that said my vehicle was I great working condition.22,000 was a very big purchase for me and never have I driven a vehicle that air didnt work after paying that much money. I plan on sing this rip off to as many that will listen. Will never buy a Hyundia again with this type of service. Frustrated Sharon **.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I got my new Santa Fe Sport 2017 2 years ago, now with 15,000 miles on it, the engine went in a hill, I can't believe! it's dead, check engine light start to blink and then 1/2 power until I could stop in the side road. What a piece of crap! 400 dollars a month for nothing, the warranty of course cover the damage but now I have to wait more than a month without the truck! If you guys out there read this don't buy a Hyundai! Very cheap! Don't waste your money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Purchased a 2016 Santa Fe. Used 37000 miles on it. Was just safety checked. Only had vehicle for less than 2 months and the engine went. Had towed to Greensburg dealer. Was told after a week engine was blown, and there is no eta on a new engine. They are on backorder. And to top it off, we are paying on a vehicle that we no longer have in our possession and we are on a list for a rental car because they have none available. If Hyundai cared at all about their customers they would pay to have us placed in a vehicle until they finally got an engine to repair this vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My app has never worked. I've called every day to get this fixed. Their customer service doesn't know what I wrong and I spend hours on hold. I am currently sitting on the phone after my 5th transfer. No one is willing to help me. Yes I am paying for this service. Day after day I am at work sitting on hold with Hyundai, transfer after transfer.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe in July 2017 - the newest and worst car I have ever owned. In September 2017, the Santa Fe began shutting off while I was driving. This happened sporadically, anywhere from to multiple times in a day to four months in between occurrences. In the middle of traffic, it would lose all power, I would have to come to a stop, put the car in park, and turn the car back on. Thank God I didn't run into anyone & no one ran into me when this happened. Overall, it happened about 25-30 times over the course of a year.

I made 3 different cases with corporate Hyundai, took it to Hyundai service centers 4 times for a cumulative duration of 56 days over a time period of 13.5 months. This issue was tricky because it would not show up on any codes. Hyundai covered all costs while I was under the 60,000 mile warranty, replaced multiple engine items, and even sent an engineer to evaluate the car. The problem was NEVER fixed and it kept shutting off independently even beyond 60,000 miles. At this time, Hyundai's response was that if they had to replace a new part in the engine, then that "meant it is a new issue," therefore I would be responsible for all costs to fix the vehicle. All symptoms were the same, the car had never been permanently fixed, and so there was no way it was a "new issue." This forced me to allocate money into purchasing a different vehicle instead of trying to keep chasing a solution for this car that a corporate engineer couldn't even figure out.

I then made a Better Business Bureau complaint against them. Their response? They said that there was "no supporting evidence of proper maintenance per the owner's manual which can lead to engine damage." And that, "no further assistance will be provided by Hyundai Motor America." They basically blamed my car's issues on me and abandoned the whole issue in a hot second, even though I followed all routine maintenance while I owned the vehicle. Never did they admit that they had NO idea how to fix it and then try to come to a resolve. It is unfortunate that a company cares more about their own bottom line and finding ways to legally not take responsibility for matters versus take care of the customers that put their faith and hard-earned-money into their products.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

A year ago I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. Everything was fine. It runs well and I had no issues with the car until recently. In the summer I noticed small spots on the hood but I didn't really think much of it. But now the paint has started to strip off the hood leaving it with a chunk of the paint missing. I went to my dealer today and they are saying I need to contact Hyundai, and Hyundai is telling me that the warrant is up so they will not be able to help me. I'm beyond frustrated and on top of that, my back up camera doesn't work and Hyundai is telling me to contact Blue Link because even though it's their car they are not responsible for the camera.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

We have been very happy with the 2015 Santa Fe the we purchased in York, PA and when we moved to the Wilmington, North Carolina area we had serviced at Parkway Hyundai. Initially we were able to easily get a service appointment - now we need to do more advanced booking as appointments have moved out. The service and responsiveness had always been good - until recently.

The light went on for standard service so I called and made an appointment. Before I was to bring it in the engine light went on. I communicated it to the service department so it would be addressed during my visit. Upon arrival I was informed there would be a minimum charge to utilize the diagnostic process and than any additional cost to fix a problem would be discussed. I was informed that the engine light went on because it needed to be updated The cost to address the engine light - was $100 which was addressed by the update. My questions were why do I need to pay $100 to find out I need an upgrade - and what was the value of the update.

I asked the Customer Service person - Josh ** - and it was basically its the cost to make the light go off. I sent an email to the General Manager Mary Margret ** a day after the service asking for an explanation (about 6 weeks ago and have not gotten any response I responded to the standard customer service follow up issued by Chris ** in Customer Service and the answer was not address but forwarded to Phillina **, Service Director to address. Although I have sent a few follow up emails, as of today I have not gotten any response.

As a final note, the standard service light that initiated the service - was still on when I got the car - I was told it would go out within a few miles. I live 35 miles from the dealership it never went off. I called and they walked me thru how I could adjust myself so I did not have to make another trip back to the dealership - which I appreciated. Isolated incident or downward trend - not sure. But there is never a good excuse for no follow up. At this point it was not the answer but the lack of response to close the loop on the question - there might be a good reason - but I have no way of knowing it. One final detail was the original reason I went

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My 2019 Santa Fe is less than a month old, and has left me stranded twice. The 1st time, was in a drive thru at Wendy's. I had to be pushed to the side. The car quit running and wouldn't start. The Dash started blinking like a UFO saying no key recognized, and to check numerous systems. I had to jump the battery, and ran the "bypass" 10-12 times. Finally it started. I went to a local Hyundai dealership, but the service area was closed. They didn't know what had happened. 2 weeks later, it happened again. This time, it wouldn't start at all. It had to be towed to a service station, and I am carless, after buying my first brand new car. The manager and employees at Chillicothe has been very supportive, but I am a new car owner in tears.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Bought a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate this October with a ten year electronic rust proofing warranty. In less than two months I see rust in the center of the wheel hubs. No one at the dealer understood how the rust proofing device worked and I was not provided any solution to this problem. I paid CAD $65,000 for the vehicle and it rusted in less than two months under 1500 kilometers! Their claims of having a much superior steel because it is forged at Hyundai's own plant, on reflection sounded just an empty sales gimmick. The way they sold me the 10 year electronic rust proofing warranty and the way the story changed on my first visit to the dealer is very disheartening. I hope someday the concept of full disclosure becomes the law.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe has been at the Key Hyundai dealership located at 4660 Southside Blvd #100, Jacksonville, FL 32216 since October 29th or 30th of 2018. On October 28th, my vehicle completely stopped working while I was on a main road driving to church. I had it towed to the nearest mechanics shop for free by my car insurance but had to pay them to diagnose the issue. I was told the engine was completely seized up and that it would need to go to the dealership. I paid to have it towed to the dealership and paid the dealership for a diagnostic test as well. After much investigation, it was determined that the vehicle is not under Hyundai warranty, as I purchased it used from another dealership, and it just passed 100k miles, but I did purchase an extended warranty plan through Fidelity, which thankfully is covering the engine repair.

Unfortunately, in these past 7 weeks, I was only approved for a loaner car through Key Hyundai for 10 days. I have rented a car through Enterprise twice now, and am currently borrowing a car from a gracious friend, but she needs it back at the end of this week. I am being told there is no end in sight for the engine on back order. I have read many other complaints online of people having to wait months for their engine to come in, and have also joined a Facebook group full of people who have waited months to have their new engine installed. We are a single car family, commute for work, and are getting desperate. I can no longer afford to rent a car on top of making my monthly payment and insurance for a car that isn't even in my possession and won't even start up anyway.

I desperately need a rental car to be covered by Hyundai or a loaner car from the dealership until my repair is done. In addition, I am concerned about flat spots on the tires and the battery from sitting for so long. I have contacted the dealership's general manager, Hyundai customer service, and the Florida state senators consumer contact Jake **, as many have done in the Facebook group.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

After owning a Hyundai Tucson, which seemed reliable, my husband and I decided to upgrade to a Hyundai Santa Fe. On October 2, 2017 we were traveling with the cruise control on at 65 miles per hour when our Santa Fe began to make a noise coming from the engine. Without warning the car shut down 20 miles away from the nearest town and started smoking. No engine lights came on or anything. My husband raised the hood of the car and noticed the engine was on fire and quickly put it out. Keep in mind that my 16 month old baby is strapped in the car seat.

We were towed to a Hyundai dealership in the nearest town and as soon as the mechanic raised the hood he knew the engine had failed. He said it would cost us around $6,500 for us to replace it with a used engine, and couldn't guarantee that this wouldn't happen again with the replacement engine. As a young couple just starting out, and still owing $14K for the vehicle, we don’t have that kind of money and as our sole vehicle this has put us in a tremendous bind in working out the logistics of how we both will get to work as well as daily activities. We have contacted Hyundai, but they tell us they aren't responsible for the issue since there is not a recall.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Let me preface with this 2018 Santa Fe Sport vehicle is my 3rd Hyundai. Please explain to me how and why we can be told that a wind noise coming from the windows of a brand new $36,000 vehicle is to be accepted as performing as designed! Apparently the lights on the mirrors are deflecting wind to the window. We've had it to the dealership who tried a new seal with no improvement so they removed that. We were told to contact consumer affairs who closed our case as the vehicle is performing as designed! When did defect become a design? I contacted the sales manager who said he would look into the issue and get back to me... he has not. The sale has been made and that's all they care at Obrien's in Fort Myers Florida? Husband says next vehicle will be a Cadillac. Done with Hyundai.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe which was 5 years old so just out of warranty but it only had 40.000 miles on the clock. After 8 months the car Just cut out, no warning, nothing lit up on the dashboard and the hgv behind me only just managed to stop. This carried on for a couple of miles whilst I tried to limp the car home but no luck. Breakdown service rescued me and managed to get the car back to Hyundai who quickly distanced themselves from the problem saying it was my bad luck. The car would now cost more to fix than what it is worth so I’m left paying for a heap of rubbish that doesn’t run. Hyundai are thieves and all I can say is at least Robin Hood wore a mask.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Brand new Hyundai Santa Fe 2015. I'm 2nd owner. Paint is peeling rust on the roof. Only 58,000 miles. Hyundai doesn't want to fix it. I'm ready to file another lawsuit against Hyundai like the one filed on 2017. If you have the same issue contact me. This is nothing new. All vehicles made by them have the same issue. Now I feel shy to drive this thing. Full of rust in the streets and new paint falling every day and a car that I'm paying every month. Never ever buying this piece of trash ever again. Hyundai sucks. Also still under corrosion warranty but Hyundai doesn't want to cover the fix or replacement of the vehicle because they say corrosion is too small. Little dots. I bet by the end of when I finish paying this car by 2023 it will be a piece of rotten trash full of corrosion.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My Hyundai Santa Fe has great tushy-warmers and after-factory backup sensors. It also gives a comfortable ride, and I like how high up I feel in it. I can see above the traffic. I feel safe in this car because it has a high safety rating. It is over 10 years old and still handles well. However, I wish it had built-in backup sensors, because the ones I had installed no longer work. Also wish it was Bluetooth ready, so I could connect my iPhone and talk hands free.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I thoroughly checked out everything about the Hyundai Santa Fe's Carfax report and I researched different SUVs on the internet. This vehicle keeps me up a little high, but not too high. Just right where I want to be. I love the heated seats in the winter and they don't get too hot in the summer. It is a smooth ride both in town and highway driving. It gets good gas mileage and handles pretty good in the snow. I have been run into a ditch by another vehicle and even without the vehicle having no 4WD I managed to get out the ditch without any problems. However, I would have more lighting by the heating and air controls. There is lighting on the screen but none on the buttons and you can't see them very well at night. Other than that, it is a really great vehicle and I would both purchase another one, but I would recommend it as well.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Driving down a street 35 mph, the 2013 Tuscon engine made loud sound all the lights came on and car shuddered and would not drive. Moved to side of road and towed to dealership. Theta-ii engine seized. Not repairable. Dealership and manufacture refused to help in any way despite known problem. Recalls has been made on this same engine in the Sonata and Santa Fe but not the Tuscon. Eventually traded in as cost to replace engine with used engine (no new ones available) was prohibitive. Received trade in of $3500 Blue book value $9000. Manufacture was nonchalant and said they could not help us. We asked about the warranty and they said their warranty is only for original owner. We went to a Hyundai dealership and did not find that information anywhere! Dealership offered to sell us a new Hyundai. Will never buy their products again.

Original review: May 5, 2018

The 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has the best warranty in the auto industry, deservedly so. The brand is the ONLY one which, in one year, had NO recalls whatsoever for ANY reason. It's the first brand new vehicle I've owned in 16 years, and the advancements in styling, build, electronics, handling, and safety features are stunningly impressive. Gas mileage is double my previous car, travels farther and more fuel efficiently, and is eco-friendly as a result. For years I've wanted to acquire this vehicle, and haven't had one single reason to regret doing so. It will be the last car I ever buy... I expect it will last that long!

Original review: May 2, 2018

It is well built and lots of room. All the latest updates. Some dealers will really work with price if you are patient. Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate 2017 is a very good value.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The only problem I have had with the Hyundai Santa Fe is with the dimmer switch. If you hit it a little off center you turn the lights off. This was scary. One other thing is that the seat belt does not always retract when exiting the vehicle and then gets caught in the door.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We have three Santa Fe. Two is AWD, only thing I find the electrical is not that great. Though, minor. But parts are not cheap and hard to find online at a decent price. I go through my friends that has shops to get me a better price.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information