3.7/5 (96 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

About Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Car just over 5 years old with less that 40K miles. Interior trim specially window switches have their color fading and one has a piece broken. Window lock switch gets stuck and have to mess with it to release. Trim pieces such as the back mirror cover and seatbelt plastic covers keeps falling off. Once seatbelt would not easily click in and takes a lot of effort, which forced me to change my child's booster seat location. Warranty would not cover these, specially after 5 years even though it is mostly related to the very bad quality they use. I have a Nissan which I got from the dealer in 2007 and to this day it is holding better than the new Hyundai SUV which would not last half the time at this rate. Hyundai needs to work on their quality, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I'm paying the price.

Will never buy Hyundai again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

We purchased a new Santa Fe Hybrid last summer. The vehicle is under warranty and has had a low coolant warning light on the dash for the past 3 months even though the level is full. The service center states they have no fix for this problem. I have also spoken with Hyundai corporate and they also state they have no fix for the vehicle. Customer service has been extremely poor and they have given us no timeline as to when or if the issue will be resolved. They have never offered to make this issue right in any way for us. Please take this inability to repair a new car under warranty as a caution before you purchase a new Hyundai.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2022

This has been the worst customer experience of any product that I have had to date! Was driving through the mountains when the engine on my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T (96K miles) suddenly gave out and we had to pull over in the middle of nowhere. Ended up having to be towed 90 miles back to the dealership. We loved this car and had all services done either at the required time or earlier. Even though we have a 10 yr/100K warranty, Hyundai is refusing to replace a needed new engine. I finally got hooked up (via e-mail) to a Hyundai case manager who will not return my calls or e-mails. I have been calling and leaving messages as well as sending e-mails DAILY for over two weeks and I have received no contact back. In fact, I am not sure if he is even receiving my messages. No one else at Hyundai will help.

They keep saying the case manager will get back to you in 3 - 5 business days but I have heard that many, many times now and it never happens. That time passes and no one contacts me and, to date, my case manager has NEVER contacted me. The dealership says they are waiting to hear from the case manager before proceeding. The case manager is refusing to communicate with me or the dealership. In summary, over a month later, my Hyundai Santa Fe is still at the dealership and I cannot get anyone at Hyundai to contact me. I have no idea how or when this issue will be resolved. I have never been treated this way by ANY product or service I have worked with.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Purchased a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe new in late 2016. Have maintained to all specifications. Feb 2022 discovered engine had no oil in it and had been excessively burning oil for some time. Soon learned Hyundai has an extensive history of defective engines that burn oil. All models have been affected for many years. Took vehicle to Hyundai of Cumming-Cumming, GA. After "oil consumption tests" over 4 oil refills, they submitted data to Hyundai who agreed to cover only 80% of the engine replacement. I fought for, and won, agreement for full coverage for cost of replacement.

One month later, stranded 500 miles away with a dead catalytic converter and lack of engine power. An emergency situation. Took into local Hyundai dealer (Brandon Hyundai-Brandon Florida) who, in consultation with Hyundai of Cumming, denied any coverage for this repair of $3500. Totally unacceptable response when destruction of catalytic converter is a direct result of oil burning emissions of defective engine. Hyundai is putting shoddy cars on the road and not taking responsibility for the repairs or for the safety of the driver. I will never own another Hyundai and will trade in this vehicle for another brand as soon as possible. I would never recommend a Hyundai product.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Purchased new Santa Fe in 2012. Ran well for years. But in spring of 2020 I received a recall notice about faulty rotors causing engine fires and destroying engines. Brought it to Hyundai Repair shop. They inspected it and said everything was fine. Three months later it broke down on the road. Hyundai said engine was destroyed. And they said it was indeed the rotors. But they would not cover the engine because my car had over 150,000 miles. It had 153 000 at the time I first brought it in for recall. 157,000 when it broke down. I don't remember the recall notice mentioning anything about miles. They wanted $ 9,000 just for engine. Not including labor. We ended up selling car to junk yard for $1,500.

We liked Hyundai up to then. But will now NEVER purchase another Hyundai. Really should be illegal to not honor a recall. Lastly they should have put in new rotors instead of just checking it. I would have paid for new rotors myself if I knew they were just doing a simple visual inspection. Would have been a lot cheaper than a blown up engine. And we could have caught on fire. We thought all was good after the first inspection but we were sitting ducks. Hyundai put our lives in jeopardy.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe brand new and the engine blew August 2021. It’s out of warranty, but I did have the extended warranty, luckily. The car is six years old and the engine shouldn’t have blown. I have always maintained the vehicle. I contacted Hyundai directly from their website August 13 and received an automated reply with a case number. I have since sent four emails following up with them, since, as of September 21, 2021 I’ve yet to have a response from them!! Nonexistent customer service directly with Hyundai. I would not buy another Hyundai. Being without a vehicle is extremely inconvenient. The car has been at the service dealer getting repaired for 45 days!

Hyundai had some of their models (2014? or 2015?) recalled because of engine problems. I believe they give a 100,000 mile warranty because of that fact. My mom was in the market for a new car and was looking at the new Palisade. Hyundai is selling cars above MSRP! That’s ridiculous! I changed my mom‘s mind and she bought a new Subaru. Which by the way sold under MSRP. A Subaru is rated great on consumer reports.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I am outraged with Hyundai. I bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport new. Until now I have not had any problems besides your normal everyday wear and tear. In November 2020 I had to have my motor replaced. Luckily, this was covered under warranty. However, I find it ironic that my Turbo has gone bad 9 months after. This all began taking place around August 15. We took it to our reliable mechanic and he told us it was the turbo. He said we should take it to the dealership. So, that's what we did. We told the service guy exactly what was wrong but he said no that's not it. $2500 worth of work later he told us it was the turbo and thought he was going to charge another $2500 to actually fix the turbo this time.

Unfortunately, we had to get nasty with them and they decided to take responsibility and eat the bill. We ended up picking up the car and having it towed to another dealership in Turnersville. I have received one phone call from the service guy and that was to tell me what was wrong and how much it would cost to repair the car. If I get any updates it's because I reach out and ask. This is not acceptable. He had no time frame as to when the car would be ready.

The dealership keeps telling me they don't have any loaner cars but I am next on the list. They have told me this for three weeks now. After three weeks of being in the shop I had to do my own research and find out when the part would arrive. I spoke to a very helpful and kind man named Terry. He told me the part would not be in until mid October but he gave me the customer service number. I called them and they filed a claim for me. Just like everyone else, I was told it would be within 10 days and I would receive a call from a case manager.

Needless to say I did not receive a phone call. I had to keep calling and emailing until a case manager finally called me. I have only heard from her once. It has been a month without a car and looking like another month to go. I am still calling and emailing trying to get some help. As everyone has said, their customer service is the pits. As a teacher, I am required to respond to a parent within 24 hours of their request. Where is that with Hyundai?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I have owned my 2013 Santa Fe for 8 years, and for the first 6 it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Two years ago the struts were replaced (out of market variety) and the car never rode the same again. With every small hole/depression in the road it felt like the front end was falling apart. The dealer always claimed that everything was fine. That was not the case. During this hot, humid summer the AC began to act up. There were days when it worked fine and then days when it only blew hot air. The first trip to the dealership was a bust because the AC worked fine for the three days they had the vehicle.

The next time it acted up I was able to get the car to the dealership so they could work on it while it was malfunctioning. After two days they had to contact Hyundai Corp. for advice as they could not determine what was wrong. The final diagnosis was that a wire was loose in the harness that houses all of the connections to the computer. Instead of being able to replace one wire the entire harness would have to be replaced at a cost of almost $4000! I am not sure how the average consumer can learn about these hidden problems with a car but perhaps reviews can help.

Original review: April 5, 2021

My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe story: 22,000 miles, still way under warranty, Nov 23, 2020, heading from Orange County, Ca to Fountain Hills Az, I was stopping in La Quinta to visit real estate clients and have lunch with them before continuing to Arizona. In La Quinta my Santa Fe starting making loud noises and sputtering as if to die, I limped the vehicle into Hyundai of La Quinta, the service advisor tried to test drive the car, he experienced the same thing, Said they were slammed and wouldn't get to it for several days, I asked for a loaner, none were available, as asked about rental companies they used, I called both companies and was told the same thing (because it was Thanksgiving week, all vehicles were out and not expected back till the week after thanksgiving).

I called my clients at PGA West and advised them of my situation, they said they would come down and pick me up, we proceeded to lunch, at which time they offered me the use of a Lexus RH350, long story short, I used their vehicle for 23 days, had it fueled, detailed inside and out for Covid sanitation, still while paying my own vehicle monthly payment & Insurance payment, all told I spend $ 1300 of which Cole customer service at Hyundai National USA said he would reimburse me $296.

I've bought 3 Hyundai vehicles before, service them religiously at the dealerships, but when their Transmission went out, they don't owe you anything, the initial contact with Hyundai national was rude and condescending, their warranty sounds good but read the fine print and I hope you don't breakdown near a travel holiday as I did, I've bought my last Hyundai, My 820 Fico and perfect payment history means nothing to Hyundai!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I own a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Limited 2015 with the 2.0T engine and I have an 8" screen with GPS system, so the main screen is controlling the access to everything on the car, from the GPS setting to audio, radio, heating and cooling system as well as Bluetooth. After 4.5 yrs only, the system starts to have problem, there is an operating system and it starts taking time to load, showing error screens, and then being in an endless loop (loading loading until the end, then the screen flickers and restart the loading process again). At that time, it might take 10-15 minutes before the OS loaded and I have access to all the controls. Then as the winter comes, it is getting worse and worse and takes up to 30 minutes to get into the system.

I went to the dealer twice and they tried to reset the system, it didn't help, on the 2nd time, they tried to fix it but finally they determined that the whole unit needs to be replaced and they informed me that the warranty on the "radio" unit is only 3 yrs, so I will have to pay for the replacement of the unit which is over 1000$ for parts and labour.

I found that it is not normal that I lost access to all those controls only after 4.5 yrs, so I tried to contact Hyundai Canada and after 2-3 attempts, they kept saying it is out of warranty and will NOT replace the unit for me as a goodwill to keep a customer. Not even when I offered to pay half of the repair and they pay for the other half. I'm very disappointed with this because this "radio" that they talk about is actually controlling everything on the car, not just the radio and I used the car for over 8 months without any access to those controls nor the GPS (it was the covid time too so I waited). My 12 years old Infiniti G37 has a similar central system with GPS and it is FLAWLESS, it loads every time.

I lost faith in Hyundai cars' quality as they don't even care about your as the customer and would only apply it by the book (3 yrs warranty). I tried to tell them that the warranty period does not mean the life duration of a product and they just don't get it. Your electronics at home are only warrantied for 1 year but it doesn't mean they HAD to break after 1 year? This is clearly a bad sample that I got but they won't fix it. Anyway, I was planning to buy another Hyundai car after this but I don't think this will happen again. They lost me as a customer. Bye bye Hyundai.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information