3.6/5 (1204 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper

About Hyundai Santa Fe

The Hyundai Santa Fe is the company's first SUV and was released in 2001. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Santa Fe?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe brand new and the engine blew August 2021. It’s out of warranty, but I did have the extended warranty, luckily. The car is six years old and the engine shouldn’t have blown. I have always maintained the vehicle. I contacted Hyundai directly from their website August 13 and received an automated reply with a case number. I have since sent four emails following up with them, since, as of September 21, 2021 I’ve yet to have a response from them!! Nonexistent customer service directly with Hyundai. I would not buy another Hyundai. Being without a vehicle is extremely inconvenient. The car has been at the service dealer getting repaired for 45 days!

Hyundai had some of their models (2014? or 2015?) recalled because of engine problems. I believe they give a 100,000 mile warranty because of that fact. My mom was in the market for a new car and was looking at the new Palisade. Hyundai is selling cars above MSRP! That’s ridiculous! I changed my mom‘s mind and she bought a new Subaru. Which by the way sold under MSRP. A Subaru is rated great on consumer reports.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I am outraged with Hyundai. I bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport new. Until now I have not had any problems besides your normal everyday wear and tear. In November 2020 I had to have my motor replaced. Luckily, this was covered under warranty. However, I find it ironic that my Turbo has gone bad 9 months after. This all began taking place around August 15. We took it to our reliable mechanic and he told us it was the turbo. He said we should take it to the dealership. So, that's what we did. We told the service guy exactly what was wrong but he said no that's not it. $2500 worth of work later he told us it was the turbo and thought he was going to charge another $2500 to actually fix the turbo this time.

Unfortunately, we had to get nasty with them and they decided to take responsibility and eat the bill. We ended up picking up the car and having it towed to another dealership in Turnersville. I have received one phone call from the service guy and that was to tell me what was wrong and how much it would cost to repair the car. If I get any updates it's because I reach out and ask. This is not acceptable. He had no time frame as to when the car would be ready.

The dealership keeps telling me they don't have any loaner cars but I am next on the list. They have told me this for three weeks now. After three weeks of being in the shop I had to do my own research and find out when the part would arrive. I spoke to a very helpful and kind man named Terry. He told me the part would not be in until mid October but he gave me the customer service number. I called them and they filed a claim for me. Just like everyone else, I was told it would be within 10 days and I would receive a call from a case manager.

Needless to say I did not receive a phone call. I had to keep calling and emailing until a case manager finally called me. I have only heard from her once. It has been a month without a car and looking like another month to go. I am still calling and emailing trying to get some help. As everyone has said, their customer service is the pits. As a teacher, I am required to respond to a parent within 24 hours of their request. Where is that with Hyundai?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I have owned my 2013 Santa Fe for 8 years, and for the first 6 it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Two years ago the struts were replaced (out of market variety) and the car never rode the same again. With every small hole/depression in the road it felt like the front end was falling apart. The dealer always claimed that everything was fine. That was not the case. During this hot, humid summer the AC began to act up. There were days when it worked fine and then days when it only blew hot air. The first trip to the dealership was a bust because the AC worked fine for the three days they had the vehicle.

The next time it acted up I was able to get the car to the dealership so they could work on it while it was malfunctioning. After two days they had to contact Hyundai Corp. for advice as they could not determine what was wrong. The final diagnosis was that a wire was loose in the harness that houses all of the connections to the computer. Instead of being able to replace one wire the entire harness would have to be replaced at a cost of almost $4000! I am not sure how the average consumer can learn about these hidden problems with a car but perhaps reviews can help.

Original review: April 5, 2021

My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe story: 22,000 miles, still way under warranty, Nov 23, 2020, heading from Orange County, Ca to Fountain Hills Az, I was stopping in La Quinta to visit real estate clients and have lunch with them before continuing to Arizona. In La Quinta my Santa Fe starting making loud noises and sputtering as if to die, I limped the vehicle into Hyundai of La Quinta, the service advisor tried to test drive the car, he experienced the same thing, Said they were slammed and wouldn't get to it for several days, I asked for a loaner, none were available, as asked about rental companies they used, I called both companies and was told the same thing (because it was Thanksgiving week, all vehicles were out and not expected back till the week after thanksgiving).

I called my clients at PGA West and advised them of my situation, they said they would come down and pick me up, we proceeded to lunch, at which time they offered me the use of a Lexus RH350, long story short, I used their vehicle for 23 days, had it fueled, detailed inside and out for Covid sanitation, still while paying my own vehicle monthly payment & Insurance payment, all told I spend $ 1300 of which Cole customer service at Hyundai National USA said he would reimburse me $296.

I've bought 3 Hyundai vehicles before, service them religiously at the dealerships, but when their Transmission went out, they don't owe you anything, the initial contact with Hyundai national was rude and condescending, their warranty sounds good but read the fine print and I hope you don't breakdown near a travel holiday as I did, I've bought my last Hyundai, My 820 Fico and perfect payment history means nothing to Hyundai!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I own a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Limited 2015 with the 2.0T engine and I have an 8" screen with GPS system, so the main screen is controlling the access to everything on the car, from the GPS setting to audio, radio, heating and cooling system as well as Bluetooth. After 4.5 yrs only, the system starts to have problem, there is an operating system and it starts taking time to load, showing error screens, and then being in an endless loop (loading loading until the end, then the screen flickers and restart the loading process again). At that time, it might take 10-15 minutes before the OS loaded and I have access to all the controls. Then as the winter comes, it is getting worse and worse and takes up to 30 minutes to get into the system.

I went to the dealer twice and they tried to reset the system, it didn't help, on the 2nd time, they tried to fix it but finally they determined that the whole unit needs to be replaced and they informed me that the warranty on the "radio" unit is only 3 yrs, so I will have to pay for the replacement of the unit which is over 1000$ for parts and labour.

I found that it is not normal that I lost access to all those controls only after 4.5 yrs, so I tried to contact Hyundai Canada and after 2-3 attempts, they kept saying it is out of warranty and will NOT replace the unit for me as a goodwill to keep a customer. Not even when I offered to pay half of the repair and they pay for the other half. I'm very disappointed with this because this "radio" that they talk about is actually controlling everything on the car, not just the radio and I used the car for over 8 months without any access to those controls nor the GPS (it was the covid time too so I waited). My 12 years old Infiniti G37 has a similar central system with GPS and it is FLAWLESS, it loads every time.

I lost faith in Hyundai cars' quality as they don't even care about your as the customer and would only apply it by the book (3 yrs warranty). I tried to tell them that the warranty period does not mean the life duration of a product and they just don't get it. Your electronics at home are only warrantied for 1 year but it doesn't mean they HAD to break after 1 year? This is clearly a bad sample that I got but they won't fix it. Anyway, I was planning to buy another Hyundai car after this but I don't think this will happen again. They lost me as a customer. Bye bye Hyundai.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I bought a new 2018 Santa Fe Sport in 2018. It ran fine for first 11000 miles. After major software upgrade in 2019, my car broke down 4 times in 7000 miles. The car suddenly lost power while climbing the slope on freeway. It is dangerous. It can be hit by any car after me. The car cannot run and need to take to the dealer for service. The same Knock Sensor problem cause the car breakdown. I cannot take my car for my trip. It can break down in the middle of nowhere. I waste my money for an unreliable car for touring in US. Every time I take the car to service, no one can tell me the cause of the problem and give the car a final fix. Even Hyundai does not have a solution for my car problem. I can foresee the next breakdown soon. It is a lemon car but Hyundai Customer Service Department does not take any action after complaining to them.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I own a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I purchased it in 2014 and I just loved it. Until it started falling apart little by little. The front seat panels keep breaking (Hyundai told me I was getting in and out of the car incorrectly...really?!) and then, driving down the highway toward Hamilton in June 2018 - the engine just stopped. No lights, nothing to warn me, it just started slowing down very quickly which at 100 kilometers per hour is very jarring. I managed to get onto the shoulder in the most dangerous spot of a highway, an off ramp. I won't bore you with the details of how I got out of there and how a police officer gave me heck for not trying to get to a safer place...(really?!) and I had it towed to my mechanic.

Diagnosis - engine is dead. Hyundais are known for this, let's contact the company. Nothing. "It's not our fault". I sent a letter to Donald Romero, the President and CEO of Hyundai Canada. Nothing. No response, zip. I needed my car for work so I personally paid the $6,494.19 for a used engine. Still no news from Hyundai. Local manager "Not our fault". September 2019 it happened again! Again on the highway. This time towed it to Hyundai in Nepean and they were marvelous. Replaced the engine, paid for everything including a rental car. The manager said they knew they have a problem on all cars prior to August 2019 so they now just fix them.

Now, Oakville Hyundai "knew" they had a problem back in 2018 but they figured they could avoid paying by saying "not our fault". I have since sent a letter to Donald Romero once again. Guess what? Still no response. I want my $6,494.19 back. IT IS THEIR FAULT, they have admitted it by replacing the 2nd engine. I could have been injured, died and I get nothing from Hyundai. I am totally frustrated and so disappointed. I really loved my car. The whole world knows that Hyundai engine blocks were made of a poor quality aluminum that eventually disintegrated into the carburetors. They have since improved the engine blocks. It is now time to support your customers by paying for the replacement of the poorly made engines.

Original review: April 4, 2020

Really like the Hyundai Sport however if you want to buy a new Hyundai it appears tires Hyundai uses are minimum standard to save money. Mine have made road noise from the start. I've had rotations and alignments, complained to Kumho Tires and they say it's a dealer issue. Hyundai says it's a tire manufacturer issue. Meantime I have a new vehicle with loud road noise and not a smooth ride. Suggestion if buy a new hyundai get it in writing that hyundai will assure mfg coverage on your tires or you could pull a report on the new car tires from get go and if they are poor rated make hyundai change them out before you take delivery. Wish somebody had written this before I bought mine.

Resolution response: March 6, 2020

Working with Hyundai Dealer who is taking care of issue with Hyundai Finance. Didn’t enjoy the experience or time involved, but will live with the final result.

Original review: March 6, 2020

My wife and I traded in a Leased 2016 Hyundai Tucson Sport (w/ low mileage - 15K) on 11/15/19 and purchased a NEW 2020 Santa Fe on that same date. We didn’t realize that after dealer got the payoff from Hyundai Finance, that it was our responsibility to contact finance company to stop the monthly automatic lease payments from being taken from our bank account. On 11/15 and then again on 12/15 we had 2 additional payments taken after the leased vehicle was PAID OFF ON 11/15/19.

Hyundai Finance refuses to refund our 2 - Payments. We feel that the dealer should have informed us that it was our responsibility to contact the finance company to stop the auto payments and they should have handled the refund process since my family has been loyal Hyundai customers for 18 years having leased 2 cars and purchased 7. I’ll never do business with Hyundai Finance and I will never purchase another Hyundai.

Original review: March 5, 2020

1. I am writing this in regards to the most unprofessional experience I've ever encountered dealing with Hyundai! I experienced a malfunction on my 2014 Hyundai Santa back in October 2019, I had just luckily dropped my great granddaughter off at work, when my car completely shut down and went off to the side of the road. I had it towed to the Gurley Leep dealership, out of my own pocket. They told me there was a recall on the engine. I got a rental. Now in a 90 day period I had talk to Hyundai on numerous occasions about getting reimbursed for my rental, that I used my credit card for, and all they could tell me was that everything was still in process. Just a few weeks ago I called again, and someone finally told me that they were waiting on my credit card statement, that I needed to send that in. THEY NEVER TOLD ME THAT BEFORE WHEN I WAS CALLING! I FAXED EVERYTHING! AND STILL NOTHING!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have had nothing but issues with the 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe that I bought. We purchased one in Dec. Had it 3 weeks and the dealership had it 4 weeks trying to find out why it has condensation issues. They traded vehicles with me. Same type, different vehicle. Had it 4 days and already condensation creeping on the inside while it sits in the parking lot. Anyone who has Asthma DO NOT BUY because it will cause you problems later on down the road. The Palmers Hyundai dealership of Mobile AL claims they can do nothing. The company will probably do nothing. BUYER BEWARE. You will more than likely have issues. This company has reviews since 2010 of this type issue. I wish I had seen it before I bought!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe 2019 and have had it in the repair shop three times due to safety issues with drivers assist not working and head unit. Almost got into two major traffic accidents and have had to be inconvenienced with taking car in repeatedly. Called corporate office and they said to contact Better Business Bureau and would not help me in any way to get a vehicle that is safe. I have had the vehicle less than three months and it has been extremely frustrating having a vehicle that is not safe to drive and having to have a brand new vehicle in the repair shop for weeks at a time. Extremely upset new Hyundai customer.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Car sat in driveway for 1 1/2 days. Came out to drive it and back window was shattered. No rock or branch around. Checked house cameras - no incident noted. On Day I did drive vehicle before, glass was intact. No chips or cracks. No obvious reason for glass to spontaneously shatter. Safelite out to replace. Technician told me he has seen before. Could be related to short in heating element. It was 51 degrees outside & rear window defrost had not been used at all prior to event. Reported to Hyundai Customer Affairs. 2015 Sante Fe Sport.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I love the Santa Fe's versatility especially in winter conditions, it drives nice and handles steadily. It's not that great on gas mileage but overall performance competes with most mid ranged SUVs. The feel in the interior is classy and sleek especially with the leather interior, the back up Camera makes backing easy.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I had a good experience overall and I would definitely recommend buying an Hyundai. Very reliable and affordable. I have been driving the car for over four years and I have been to some amazing cities including Cleveland, Cincinnati and more.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Overall well made and well thought out. Nice car. Very quiet ride. Good gas mileage. Nice electronic package. Storage room is great. This is our third Santa Fe and it appears to be the best so far.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I truly enjoyed the vehicle, the only regret was that the interior really felt "plasticy". I have owned Hyundai from its inception of the Pony in the late 80's and always knew they would be a great company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I was surprised when the power locks and power windows. And the horn went bad and how much it cost for repair some of the windows don't work from the drivers side, the horn stopped working and the power locks do not work on left side.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I love my Hyundai and highly recommend it, excellent value for the price. Comfortable and intuitive interior. Very stylish outside, looks sleek and sporty. My only issue is the turbo lag, hate that. Otherwise I love it.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

This vehicle provides great reliability while delivering better than anticipated gas mileage of almost 28 mpg on extended highway travel using the cruise control. Seat comfort is excellent, and we consider it better than the Ford Explorers that we had. Our only issue is the difficulty entering and exiting from the third row seat.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I originally purchase a Hyundai Santa Fe in 2005 and was very happy with my purchase, so much so that in 2008 I upgraded to a 2008 with the bigger motor. I am still driving the '08 and still happy with the performance, nothing major has ever gone wrong, other than the usual maintenance issues which will eventually crop up. I always thought I would upgrade to the Vera Cruz, but alas as I am retired I just cannot afford the $40,000 price tag. If you are thinking of a newer vehicle, I would recommend that you take one for a drive for yourself.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The Hyundai Santa Fe is a very reliable vehicle, it's roomy with its 3rd row seats, the cargo area is really large. It provides a very smooth ride and best of all it's extremely quiet in the passenger compartment. I am very happy with it.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

The Santa Fe sport is an awesome vehicle fully loaded moonroof... back up camera...leather. I drove my car everywhere and it’s very comfortable. I even drove 200 miles to Disney and back and it’s a very nice comfortable ride.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

Excellent. The SUV is SANTA FE. It's awesome. The seating space is mind blowing. Very comfortable journey in highways. HIGH SAFETY AIRBAGS ARE AVAILABLE. ALL TYPE OF PEOPLE ENJOY TRAVELLING IN THIS SUV.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I have had a Santa Fe in the past. Got better gas mileage than the current Elantra GT that I currently own. 4 cylinder engines do not cut it for me, unless they come turbo charged. Prices were fine just not enough power to suit me. Not real good in the snow. I would rather go back to buying American.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I just purchased this vehicle a few weeks ago. Overall I'm very pleased with the handling, the safety features and the fuel economy. I really wanted a vehicle that I could turn on and have the headlights on automatically. That is a big safety feature in my opinion. It has lane assist, lane departure warning, back up camera and hill assist. I tested that out in San Francisco on damp roads last night, worked great. It's very comfortable, and while it's not a large SUV there is plenty of room for everyone. The backseats fold down and make a larger cargo area, and when up there is a detachable cargo cover to hide whatever you may have from being seen in the back window.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

It's been a great car. Hyundai has been my manufacture for the past 12 years. Therefore I will continue to buy a car by made by Hyundai. The 1st Hyundai was the others were purchased in Myrtle Beach South Carolina.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Bought it used at CarMax in 2014 w/ 77K miles on it -- have had it 5 years (now at 99K miles) -- vehicle has been very reliable and have had no major issues w/ it-- gets decent gas mileage and has a nice sound system!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I love my Hyundai Santa Fe 2012. I feel safe in it. I was in a severe car accident in 2012 in which I was driving a 2008 Santa Fe. I came out of the accident with just a few scrapes, bumps, and bruises. We replaced our 2008 Santa Fe with our current 2012 Santa Fe. We have had a few minor issues with the Santa Fe we have now, but repairs have been able to be done by my spouse at a reasonable expense.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Nice smooth ride. Any recalls are cared for immediately without the consumer having to bring to the service' attention. Price too high for the vehicle, especially for such few options (at ea. price point). The vehicle I traded in, cost less brand new with far more options on it than the "luxury" version of the used Sport purchased. It doesn't hold a lot of things and it can't carry anything longer than 6 ft. front to back. Passengers like the smooth ride. Easy getting in and out. Front seats easy to move. Back seats are really difficult to move. Good storage areas.

Hyundai Santa Fe Company Information