2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.54/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Elantra Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT and I love this car except for a few things about it. When you give it gas, the gas pedal is not smooth. You cannot view everything through windshield. The frame seems to be blocking your view. I do love how the turning ratio on this car is. It's a small car and can fit anywhere!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have owned Hyundai's since 1984. My daughter still has my 2006 Elantra which has over 350,000 miles on it. When the motor seized at 99,000 miles on one of my Elantra's, I had to jump through some hoops because the dealership had been dishonest but Hyundai did eventually honor their 100,000 mile warranty and replace the motor. Another unscrupulous dealership roped me into a 2015 model I didn't ask for. The front bumper started coming apart at the edges and flaring; from what I see as a bad design. I have seen the same make and model with the same problem.

For the money Hyundai is still a great product that lasts, although they are starting to get a little pricey for a make that doesn't hold it's resale value like other makes and models; but I don't know why that is given the history of reliability? My biggest problem with Hyundai are their dealerships. Maybe they need to get away from "commission" sales because most I have dealt with over the past 30 years have been pushy, deceptive and dishonest. So bad it's getting to the point I'd rather sneak on the lot when they are closed to compare cars :( But I still consider Hyundai one of the best deals on the market for getting what you pay for!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I bought this car as a replacement for my Jetta TDI. I shopped quite a few cars, but the Elantra won out. Hyundai offered their "Friends and Family" discount to affected parties. My total discount was was about 6K. I really enjoy driving this car, and it's fast becoming rare, because a manual transmission is no longer offered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I love my Hyundai Elantra. The body looked sleek and I always admired the design of the front bumper. It was always a smooth drive and I loved how we could drive in eco mode with a switch of a button. I also loved the heated seats. Only part that bothered me was the mirrors don't have a built in light system which most cars do.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Love my little car. I have had hardly any maintenance on it and it is an '06. It drives like a dream. It's like the Ever-Ready bunny just keeps going. I will buy another one when I am able, but why now when this one is still like new..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I bought an Elantra that was just over a year old from someone who was upgrading. Shortly after the purchase I bought new tires which wore out on a few months (5000 miles). It was found that the ball joints and stabilize bar were shot. This was not only not covered by a standard warranty but corporate said since I wasn't the first owner there was nothing they would do for me. Shouldn't Hyundai stand behind their vehicle regardless of the owner? They don't know how the original owner drove it so why would it matter who owns it. Now I'm out for two sets of tires and expensive repairs. I for one will not be buying another Hyundai due to poor performance and poor warranty service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Just writing a review to warn others that the 2013 Hyundai Elantras have some irreparable issues, and Hyundai Motor America refuses to take responsibility for it. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! My perfectly maintained 6 year old 2013 Elantra was at 59K miles when the engine started making awful rattling, ticking, revving noises and was diagnosed to be in process of complete failure. The dealership I went to stated that it was a "well known" and established issue with all the "Nu" engines from about 2012-2016 and immediately recommended a full engine re-build (aka thousands of dollars of work). Hyundai initially refused to cover anything at all, then offered 60% and no rental coverage (despite the fact that the repair was estimated to take about a month due to the engine parts being back-ordered because so many engine re-builds were underway due to the issues).

After countless phone calls and advocating, I was offered 80% coverage of the repairs and full coverage of the rental. Repairs took 1.5 months to get started and 2 months to complete. Then after all was said and done, Hyundai began denying my car rental reimbursement completely. It took another 4 months, countless hours and calls again, and ultimately, they still refused to cover the last measly $17 of my rental bill, I think just to be spiteful. Absolutely AWFUL business to work with. It is unfathomable that a company can build cars that do not last 60K miles and can skirt taking full responsibility for it. I will never buy a Hyundai vehicle again. And this greatly saddens me, because prior to this I had a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that was a total trooper! Ran great up into the 175K-ish miles. Engine never had one issue. Cheap to repair, maintain, and drive.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Havent met anyone that doesnt love their Elantra. It's sleek, roomy (I'm 5,10" without heels) dependable and easy to drive! We have one that we've driven for over 300 thousand mes and still driving it daily. LOVE it!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The tires, even when replaced, slowly leak out the air, dealers treat you like 3rd class for service, if you didn't buy the car there. Lease end department is awful, and can't get their records straight! They say their Office of Consumer Affairs are powerless against dealerships, as they are privately owned! A service manager poured used motor oil all over the back floors, because he lost my key fob, and insisted I buy a new one, never did my service, so I had car towed home. Their own towing company brought my car back, stating they gave the fob to the service rep!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I find that the front of the hood is not visible at all and makes it hard to judge distance. I feel this is dangerous and makes me feel unsafe when driving. That is not a good thing to feel when navigating the highway.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Hyundai Elantra Company Information