2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

3.8/5 (226 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Hyundai Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Hyundai Elantra Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Hyundai Elantra sel 2020 is a vehicle which consumers should never purchase. The vehicle is built with a defective engine. The 2.0 nu mpi engine will break down causing a stall or fire due to defective oil piston rings. Hyundai has been plagued by this kind of engine defect since 2011. Lawsuit were filled back then. No matter how inexpensive you get a deal on a Hyundai Elantra or other model, refuse that car dealers & walk away.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I own a 2015 Elantra 1.8L. It has 125,000kms and the oil pump quit. Apparently a VERY common problem! Of course, it's past the 100,000km warranty, so no service by Hyundai unless you pay out of pocket. Hyundai Canada will not help you either, even though they are very much aware of this VERY common problem. Do NOT purchase their vehicles if you don't want a $2,000 repair bill!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I have been a loyal Hyundai Customer since 2008. 08 Accent Hatchback, 14 Accent Sedan and now on 11/02/20 I purchased a new 20 Elantra SE from the Merced Hyundai Dealership in Merced, CA. I was driving down the highway and my undercarriage cover started to come off as though it had never been properly installed at the factory and this happened in less than 30 days from date of purchase. My car only had 576 miles on it.

I contacted Corporate Hyundai Consumer Affairs because I was unhappy with Merced Hyundai's response to my problem and they suggested I take it to another Hyundai Dealership for a second opinion so I took it to Central Valley Hyundai in Modesto, CA which I did on 12/04/20 and I received an answer from Central Valley Hyundai on 12/07/20. Claim denied by Corporate Hyundai Consumer Affairs for this reason: Under Carriage Cover isn't covered under the Hyundai Warranty Program. I'm sorry but I will never buy another hyundai vehicle as long as I live nor will I ever recommend hyundai vehicles to anyone in need of a vehicle because they won't back their products.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I bought Hyundai Elantra in 2019.. It is not still 2 years & it is second time engine light came on.. Talk to customer support who told me that consumer affairs will call you once you are done with your appointment with dealership.. They called me & saying they can’t do anything with this issue & has to deal with dealership.. Talked to me very rudely & said they don’t care about this issue.. I strongly don’t recommend Hyundai cars & buy if you have lawyers back with you.. I will definitely go with other brand of car after selling this..

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

My daughter's car is 2 years old and paint is starting to chip on the car and you can see the clear coat on the hood coming off and they try to tell me it’s from impact. 3 door handles with missing chips of paint and clear coat spots on hood missing and it’s impact issues... I have showed them this and they took pics twice and yet I can’t get this car repainted. I’ve had to have the headlight replaced by them for film peeling off and the door panels on the inside replaced because of plastic peeling and the car is just not holding up as expected and they are not helpful.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

Updated on 11/12/2020: It's me again with my peeling Hyundai Elantra. I purchased my car in December of 2019 with the remainder of the factory warranty. February 2020 I noticed that the paint was peeling off the hood, and roof. I called Hyundai Motor Corporate, they instructed me to take it to Modern Hyundai in Concord NC. So I made my appointment, and took the car in. My service advisor took my information, and submitted the claim. A few days later she called me back to inform me that my car had a salvage title and they would not honor my claim. Then while she was on the phone with me she realized that she typed the vin # in wrong, and resubmitted the claim. Car goes to the body shop, car gets painted. All is well.

Next thing I know I have a spot on the "a" pillar, and I call Hyundai Corporate again. The claim is denied. Then I walk around to get something out of the trunk a few months later and down both sides of the back glass the paint is peeling. Again, I call Hyundai Corporate to start the case. That claim was denied too. I was told that I have put too many miles on the car in 10 months by the Hyundai Case Manager. Before I go any further, let me say that I am a EMT, and we are in the middle of global pandemic, so I may have done a little traveling lately. So I started another claim and requested a buyback. All of a sudden a lady named Pauline called me and my claim has been approved. So to the dealer it goes again. I pick the car up on 11/6/2020. I am rushed out from the dealership.

I get home and I realize that the rust on the door wasn't repaired. So now what do I do? I walk around the car again, I find that more paint is coming off in the fender gaps where the "a" pillar and the front fender meet, and under the hood as well on the fenders this was the same day that I picked up the car. I called corporate again, started a new case. My good friend Pauline from Hyundai Corporate calls me today. I am telling her what's going on with the car. She instructs me to take the car back to the dealer, which I do. The service department tells me to take it up with the body shop that they hired to fix the car. At the point in time I am just over it. So I head to the sales office of Modern Hyundai to find a salesman. I will just trade it in.

So the lady that helped me was more interested in playing with her nose ring, and taking the her nose ring out and putting it back in than listening to me. I came prepared with my own financing and even had a vehicle picked out and it was a Hyundai, and it wasn't white. So as she was trying to work the deal she informs me that my car has a salvage title. I explain to her that the vin is wrong because of the service advisor's previous typo. Then I am on the phone with the finance company and she walks in and says the amount that they will give me for my car. I was so insulted, I just slid the paper back across the table and said "nah." I don't think I am going to let Hyundai get me again. Buyer definitely beware, do your research! Don't let them get you too!

Original Review: November 2019, I purchased the my first Hyundai. I thought I purchased a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited in pearl white. 10 months later I have no idea what I purchased nor will paint stay on the car. I paid right at $15,000 for this car, with the remained of the factory warranty still intact. Paint began to peel off of the roof and the hood. I called Hyundai, got the case started, took the car to the dealer Hyundai fixed the problem. Little did I know that this was just the beginning. A few months later, paint starts to peel off the "a" pillar. I had the deal note the case and just watch it, I knew it would peel again. After all it is Hyundai's famous pearl white peeling paint. Fast forward another month and I realize that the paint is peeling from both sides of the rear window.

I gave Hyundai another call, started the case, sent pictures to the dealer. Almost a month later I try to call the dealer, and fail to get a return call. So I figure that I will just call Hyundai Consumer Affairs. When I do that I am informed that my car is no longer covered by warranty and they have denied the claim. Out of warranty you say? How is that I ask? 5 years or 60,000 miles. Well it's titled as a 2017 and it has 55,000 miles on it. So 2017 to 2020 is 4 years and 55,000 isn't 60,000. So I head to the VIN plate located inside of the driver's door, the manufactured date is 4/14/2016. There you go. 2016 to 2020 is 5 years. But the registration has 2017. So what exactly did I buy? April is too early to be considered the next year's model.

Then I start to research the paint peeling issue. I find out that the pearl white Hyundai's are known for this. There has already been 1 class action lawsuit covering 2006-2016. My car should have been covered in that. But it wasn't because it's titled as a 2017. Which is what I bought. I feel like I have been cheated. I paid for a 2017, I got a 2016. I pay taxes and insurance on a 2017 but I drive a 2016. I have filed 3 claims for the paint issue. Now that I have no idea what year my car is, I have other concerns about what I paid for and what I got, I got ripped off because Hyundai didn't want to fix the problem they caused. How is this fair to the consumer?

This is the 1st Hyundai that I have owned. I purchased it because I liked what the Hyundai name represents. Quality, or at least that's what they lead you to believe. This is a known issue that keeps re-occurring with the different year models. You would think that they would make an effort to correct the problem. Instead they allow them to keep being reproduced and sold. Now I have a car that I have not even had a year yet, the paint is peeling off of it and I have no clue what year it actually is because the manufacture date conflicts what the registration says. Thank you for ripping me off Hyundai!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

If you’re in the market for a piece of junk, look no further than the 2013 Hyundai Elantra. On April 8, 2015 my grandmother purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 20,000 miles on it. I’m thinking ok, this is a good car for her. NOPE. To start things off, it only gets like 20 MPG, which is pathetic for a small car like this. Now let’s talk reliability: Rear shock absorbers had to be replaced at 27k MI. The back up camera stopped working at 29K MI. AC stopped working at 34K MI. The engine started knocking at 36K MI.

The CV axle broke almost causing an accident at 47K MI. The transmission went out at 58K MI. The steering column had to be replaced at 59K MI. 71K MI. The car started misfiring like crazy and stalling, ended up costing over $500 to completely fix. The alternator broke at 79K MI. ($700) leaving my grandmother stranded on the side of the road the day before her surgery. Ball joints, tie rods, and strut mount bushings had to be replaced at 85K MI. Costing over $2,000 to repair. I will never ever ever buy another car from this company again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT, first ever Hyundai I've owned. I researched vehicles in this class and was optimistic and confident with my decision to buy this vehicle new, had regular maintenance work done, only ever needed oil changes, never had idiot lights go on for anything. Unfortunately, I work out of town and my commute is over 110 kms per day, on the highway, so, the mileage is high, therefore, no more warranty (3yr/60000kms), I am over the 3 yrs by 2.5 months and over the mileage by 53000 kms. I was driving and the car stalls, was able to start it and hear clicking in the engine, decide to pull in to a parking lot, find a spot and the car stops again never to start again, check oil and bone dry, no oil light had come on, no engine light came on, put in some oil still nothing.

Had it towed to Performance Hyundai-St. Catharines, Ontario, they tell me engine is blown and Performance Hyundai will 'try' to talk to Hyundai Canada about a possible good faith engine repair for me, all I need to do is provide oil change receipts, which I did and waiting for more to show them, they come back with a decline to repair the engine stating there was overdue maintenance work to be done on the car, I didn't have the receipts yet, and furthermore the car is no longer under warranty, the car is only 3 yrs. old. The cost to be $6000+. How was the oil pan dry, never having had a leak and why didn't any lights come on? There have been engine issues in the past with this company and don't seem to learn from their lesson. Thanks a lot Hyundai, won't be buying another one of these things again, you've made a lasting impression.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Purchased new in 2014, I will credit this car with being solid and visually appealing. The problem is that the car started to stall on start up shortly after purchase. This was frustrating and a problem. That was never fixed via recall, only by a service check several years after we bought it. The car stalled on one occasion while traveling approx 60km per hour. Hyundai claimed that the problem was only known to occur in that model in Eastern Canada. Car has been unresponsive from the day of purchase and Has a mind of its own. It continues to amaze me how car companies toy with human lives. This car is dangerous.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Hyundai Canada- such an amazing company until you buy their vehicle and then they don’t mind asking you where to go when you approach them for any help even if it is a manufacturing defect from their end. I bought a Hyundai Elantra 2014 brand new. Used it till Jan 2020 and it had about 109k kms. On Jan 28th, 2020, I drove my car to work as usual without knowing that it would be the last time, I would drive that car ever. As I got to work, I parked the car in the underground garage, locked it and went inside to my office. About 15 -20 minutes later, I heard the fire alarm in the building was going off. The reason was my car was on fire. As per the CCTV footage, it started off with a light smoke under the bonnet that got worse, eventually it was a big flame of fire and explosion.

Today, I am lucky to be alive as I was just few minutes away from being in it. As per the fire department, it is an engine fire and my insurance investigative personal also confirmed that it is an engine fire due to manufacturing defect from Hyundai. This ruthless company (Hyundai Canada) even held my insurance settlement in the name of their investigation. The insurance settlement was finally done on April 6th, 2020, it just covered the depreciated value of the car. Since these undervalued brands do not hold any re-sale value, it was just enough for me to pay off the outstanding car loan.

Now I have no car nor any money for the investment I made so far on that car. The total money I spent on that car was about $29k and one third of the car was paid out through my insurance settlement. I was hoping to use that car for at least another 7-10 years as it was well maintained low kms car. Now I have to start all over again to own a car.

Cambridge Hyundai – how can people try to resell a car to the same person who was mistreated. These guys also tricked me initially to get the extended warranty for 8 years or 160k kms and charged me $2800 plus tax. Honestly, I wasn’t even aware that I had it until I looked at the bill of sale recently. All I have been getting is a run around to even get the money refunded for the extended warranty. Great customer service Cambridge Hyundai and Hyundai Canada. How many more people will you suck the life out of?

I got called by them again May 14, 2020 to let me know that from their investigation, car was burned down from an undetermined reason when my insurance investigative representative already concluded that it was a manufacturing defect. They don’t even own up their fault. The conversation ended by them stating that they will not provide any compensation for around the situation I have been put in. If you all know or not there have been more than 300 cases of engine fire with Hyundai cars across North America. Just google “Hyundai engine fire” you will see it.

Recent news states that Hyundai is recalling nearly 430,000 small cars because water can get into the antilock brake computer, cause an electrical short and possibly an engine fire... Last April, NHTSA opened two new investigations into fires involving Hyundai and Kia vehicles after getting complaints of more than 3,100 fires and 103 injuries. Feb 7, 2020. Think a million times before you make an investment on these unreliable brand, people and vehicle. Link to my car burning down - **. A distressed former Hyundai Customer

Hyundai Elantra Company Information