3.46/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

44 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Whenever the car is either at halt or on slow speed, and I turn my steering wheel, I hear a noise which is very irritating. The company is saying it's in all Elantra's and never try to resolve the issue. Now I think that it's my biggest mistake buying this car due to the noise as it is very irritating and the company is not doing anything for that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Hyundai Elantra 2014. Brought this car brand new, 130,000km and it’s only 4 years 10 months old. Has trouble starting as it won’t hold the revs up. Stalls every day. Had a tapping sound in the engine so took it in for diagnostic test. They called to say it needs a new motor. $7500 Australian dollars. I asked what the trade in value was he looked up car sales said $7000 but without a motor nothing. A car that’s not even 5 years old paid $23,000 and pretty much was laughed at because I didn’t want to pay for the motor.

There should be a recall on these cars and it looks like it’s a common issue worldwide and the guy behind the counter knew exactly what I was saying but brushed me off like oh well. Customer service at Hyundai in Cranbourne Victoria is appalling and they should be held responsible for it. It’s inside the engine block and it’s common so they should be bearing these costs. Now I don’t have a car and I won’t be fixing it because they aren’t getting one cent more.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I took my 2018 Elantra for tire change two and half months ago. I'm paying for premium plus warranty that must support tire change under "road hazard" protection. They charged me $245 CAD even when I told them that my warranty should support it. After speaking to their manager, they told me it will be reimbursed. It's been two and half months, I called them five times, I went to the dealer six times in person. They make a copy of the receipt and tell me to wait a few days. They literally have six copy of the receipt now. Hyundai customer service keeps me on the line for hours every time I call them. So the conclusion is that they took my money and don't want to give it back.

Original review: July 26, 2019

Purchased a brand new 2012 Elantra w/ only 12 miles. Had major headaches and problems. Car at 12k miles noticed a rattling noise. Took it to the dealership and they said it was the heat shield that need to be welded. Took car 2 times bc the rattling noise would not go away. 3rd time they fixed it. Next issue was the car shut down on me w/ 92k. They said it was software update and bc my car had passed 60k miles I missed the repair. I had to pay for it. I spoke to Service Manager bc I have my car service there so if I was owe a service why didn’t they do it. My car shut down on me while I was driving in the middle of rush hour.

Next, they tried to charge me for the airbags claiming that my issues had nothing to do with the recall. I had to contact the HDQ in CA to have them call the dealership to tell them to fix my airbags bc they didn’t want to cover it. A year later I had the same issue the car shut down on me. This time it was due to the crankshaft sensor. Not the software. Dealership charge me $275 to fix the sensor. They told me that I might have to fix the 3 other sensors eventually. The tires sensors TPMS they are all bad. This has been an issue since the car was only 4 years old.

I have had a Corolla prior to this never gave me any issues. I would not recommend buying this car. Warranty of 100k is not worth it. I still feel my car will shut down on me anytime. Sad that a car now w/ only 129k miles might need to be replaced. My brother owns 2011 Toyota Camry w/ 159k. The only thing he has done is changed oil, tune up and tires. That’s it. Car has no issues. Remind you, I have done all of that at the dealership.

Original review: July 5, 2019

After 65K kilometers all of that new car engines dying. 100% of their 1.8 Nu engines knocking and must be replaced by 9000$! Including my Elantra which I bought in 2013. That's why they selling that cars so cheap. Dealers replacing it by your cost, they are covered by dozen maintenance requirements and mileage, you are not covered, the guarantee is all against you. This car is crap, more crap and one more time- is crap!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: June 26, 2019

I raise my kids to be responsible honest and independent. My daughter’s first car be in the second owner was a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The car was in perfect condition and my daughter loved it. Fell in love with it when she first sought and even loved it more when she drove it. This past month we noticed paint peeling from the roof unexpectedly. It wasn’t hit just peeling. You could see the pain never adhered to the car. Come to find out they had an issue with this paint peeling for many years. I filed a complaint with Hyundai. They told me to take it to the dealership the Body Shop. The Body Shop manager confirmed it was paint delamination and that they have had issues with this car and this color paint and the paint doing exactly what it was doing on my daughter's car that she works so hard for.

The service department submitted it to corporate Hyundai and they declined to fix her car because she was a second owner and because of the miles. She just went over 100,000 miles. The cost to repair her roof is over $1200 because they have to strip it all the way down and redo it. It’s funny how they will post recalls if it’s a mechanical which most of the time they try to hide but they never never post a recall on a paint issue yet we as the consumer get stuck with a vehicle if we want to sell it. That’s going to be basically worth nothing. It’s funny how they will post recalls if it’s mechanical which most of the time they try to hide but they never never post a recall on a paint issue yet we as the consumer gets stuck with the vehicle if we want to sell it. That’s gonna be basically worth nothing for anyone that is considering buying a Hyundai and you are the second owner. Think twice.

You could end up like my daughter with the car that’s going to be worthless and ugly that no one will buy. A dealership won’t give you fair market value because the paint is all peeling off. I raise my kids to be independent to do things on their own. She’s paying for herself to go through school. She paid for her own car. She pays for her own insurance and she’s only 19 years old. I’m raising a daughter that will stand on her own. Something needs to be done. This is just wrong. I have lost 110% trust in high on days customer service and loyalty to their customers. I will never and I mean I will never buy a Hyundai in my entire life and I will make sure my children and my friends and anybody that I can share this story with I will. Hyundai you should be ashamed of yourself. Selfish greed. That’s all it is.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I went today for an oil change on my Elantra at Hyundai Dealer 441 and County Line. ADAM from service dept. presented an estimate for $410 for oil change, two filters, fuel system service, A/C deodorizing. When I asked how often this need to be done every 15,000 miles (my car has 25,000 miles). Another woman estimate was $700. Few minutes later came to service department a saleswoman upset since she couldn’t convince the customer to upgrade and was asking one of the service persons to help her to make the deal. I had a long wait for Adam, another salesman offered to exchange my car for a newer version. In 3 hours I witnessed selfish greedy people, lacking integrity, looking for an opportunity. I’ve been in sales all my life. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I have had the car 8 months and have 11,500 miles on it. I hear rapid clicks from the dash, transmission shifts quickly out of first gear and will stick in second sometimes. The av system freezes up as well. I took it in for routine service and noted it then wrote bad review when they did nothing about it. Got email from service manager and said nothing was noted at all about issues. Regretting this purchase, my first brand new car and it’s becoming a nightmare.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Whatever you do don't ever buy a Hyundai!! They are a piece of crap and there is no customer service - they just bounce you to other companies that that "contract" with who tell you to call Hyundai!!! I made the sad mistake of buying a top of the line Elantra limited with the deluxe package paid extra for their gps system. I was notified that there was a map update so downloaded it onto the sd card and inserted it back into my dashboard. Once the update was done and they system restarted for the last time it told me that it could validate the gps even though part of the download was the new validation code. Not only does my gps not work now but my center screen on my dashboard just shows a constantly spinning "waiting" symbol for hours.

I called Hyundai who told me to call Mapsoft, the company they contract their gps with who told me to call Hyundai. Hyundai insists that even though I bought the car from them and paid them for the gps system, it's not their problem. After my 7th call to Mapsoft a supervisor told me that the company they contract with to handle the software doesn't work on weekends and I would have to go online to their webpage to file a ticket and wait for them to get back to me.

I called back again on Monday morning when they were back at work and was told by an idiot supervisor at Mapsoft that they don't have any phones over at the other company and don't take any calls from car owners. I called Hyundai back and was basically told "too bad, so sad" and to wait for someone to maybe get back to me. So I guess I'm supposed to put my entire life on hold for the next few months to make sure I'm available if someone from the unnamed company (Mapsoft won't give the their name) ever decides to call me back. If my month old car wasn't on a 3 year lease I'd sell this piece of crap for whatever I could get for it and I'd get another brand - any other brand!!! Don't even go look at any Hyundai product!!! It's all crap with no customer service!!!!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I purchased a 2015 Hyundai Elantra GL as a brand new vehicle purchase. Within a week, the power trunk would open when I was at work, at random times. I took it to the dealer and got the usual runaround of "we can't make it do it, so it isn't happening". I tried calling Hyundai Canada, and was told quite bluntly "you have to deal with the dealer". When I tried to tell them I have been trying, it was like a broken record...just over and over them saying I had to deal with the dealer. It took 2 years for the dealer to finally fix the issue... All it was was a bad key fob.

I also had a heated seat that wouldn't work below -25. Dealer was able to name at least 10 cars they've fixed in the past, but wouldn't touch mine because, again, they "couldn't make it happen...so they wouldn't do anything". Took it to a different dealer, fixed within a week. To anyone that is debating purchasing one of these vehicles, I give these warnings...first off, each dealer is different, there is no "standard practice", second, don't expect ANY HELP from head office...they won't do ANYTHING to help. I am biding my time till it's paid, then it's gone!

Hyundai Elantra Company Information