3.80/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

Hyundai Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

20 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Started hearing a fast ticking sound coming from behind the dash of my 2017 Hyundai Elantra around the 30k mile mark. Originally thought it was the heater. Took it in 5 times over 6 months and they replaced 2 actuators but the problem persisted. I had audio recordings of the sound so I filed a complaint with Hyundai corporate. Hyundai corporate sent it to their corporate mechanic and parts manager and both stated the sound was not normal. One believed it was the engine and the other told the dealer to replace all the heater parts but the dealership refused. The dealership had it a total of 25 days in 5 months and started refusing to return calls stating the sound was normal.

Hyundai corporate did nothing and closed my case. I filed a complaint with BBB. I was scheduled for arbitration and at the last minute took it to another dealership in another town to get their opinion on the recordings. They said the sound was not normal and offered to inspect it as they too believed it was the engine. Two days later I get a call stating I could not have the vehicle as the mechanic got in it and immediately realized there was a problem with the engine. They dropped the oil pan and noticed metal shavings in the oil pan due to rod bearings.

They submitted pictures and a claim to Hyundai. Hyundai agreed to replace the engine as the vehicle now only has 49,000 miles on it. However, it has been over 3 weeks since I took my car to the dealership and I still do not have my car back. The dealership has no idea when it will be fixed. Metal shavings in the oil is a known issue with older model Sonata's that were recalled a few years ago. Evidently the same thing is occurring in Elantra's. This is my 2nd Hyundai and will be my last. Used to be a great company but now they're putting people's lives in danger selling new vehicles with engines that start to fail after 30k miles.

Original review: June 26, 2018

My 2012 Hyundai Elantra got a new Engine October 2017. A few weeks after getting car back it started making noise. I brought it to local garage and realized that they give me the car back without any fluid in it. In February 2018 Car start making the same noise again and since February it has been in the dealership many times. They eventually told me to record the noise because they couldn’t hear it so I did exactly that. I took it in to them 30 May 2018.

On June 6th 2018 they called me to say it was fixed. My husband picked it up & then started it morning of June 7th 2018 & it made same noise so when I took it back they told me to just drive it as this is how Elantras sounds. I wasn’t personally happy with that option as it sounds like starting a tractor and I have a recording of it which I hope I can post today. I also contacted the customer service and they are just telling me to take the car. I am just running out of options. I don’t know what to do as I’m actually scared to drive a car that is making noise like that.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have been waiting for years on this settlement. Horsepower was a reason I selected this vehicle. I was promised 363 or abouts but have never very I disappointed in it. It's also why I have not gotten another Hyundai. Very disappointed in this company and public relations.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is the second Hyundai Elantra I have purchased. The first one had over 110,000 miles on it without any significant mechanical problems! So, when I needed a new car, I chose another Hyundai Elantra. However, there is no spare tire!! There is only a can of fill up to re-inflate the tire and allow you to drive to a tire repair place. There needs to be a spare tire included with the car when purchased. But other than that, I love the Hyundai Elantra. Great warranty, good service and friendly people at the dealership. Also, the cell phone plug in is in a convenient location and is easy to use. The backup camera shows a very good area behind and around the car.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The car has been very reliable. I get the oil changed regularly and have it taken care of by a reputable mechanic every few months. The only thing that I dislike about this vehicle is the audio system. The sound is not that good and when you touch the controls it is very intricate to adjust the volume. It always seems to go back to the volume you had before. But I like most of the features of this car. It is a very basic edition which is all I need for how I use it for the amount of mileage I drive every year. It suites my purposes very well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: June 17, 2018

I had always bought Chevrolets before but my favorite model was discontinued so I had to find another. I've read a few articles about cars and I wanted to try a foreign car. Me and my son are tall and so the interior room was a big consideration when choosing a model. The gas mileage, price, warranty and style were also considerations. The Elantra has good gas mileage and is an attractive car. It is also very roomy and has been very reliable. It rides very well and feels safe for the size. It's a great value. It's just that the front floor mat has never stayed in place. I wore through the undercarpet pretty quickly because the mat doesn't stay in place. And then, some of the newer models have a rear camera feature that would be nice. I'd also like a radio that shows the station and current song.

Original review: June 16, 2018

It is a comfortable riding car and great on gas. We had looked at several different model of cars before we purchased the one we have and when we test drove it it handled the road really well. Drove it on the city streets and also on the freeway. But what sold us on the car was the fact that this one fell into our budget that we had to spend with some money left over. While it is wonderful and fantastic, it dents easily and it also fades a lot even though we keep it under a carport when we are at home. Also, making the key entry last longer than it did would be an improvement. Now we have to unlock the doors the old fashion way.

Original review: June 15, 2018

It's a great car. My experience has been pretty great, it has driven good. I haven't had many problems with it & the few issues I have had have been easy to take care of. Great safety measures and mileage, heated seats, the color is pretty, it can fit more than 4 people in it, plenty of room to travel with my dogs. However, the leather seats get super hot in the summer and it makes things super uncomfortable for my kids, my animals & me when we drive around.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My Hyundai has good gas mileage, nice design, and is very reliable. I'm very happy with my Hyundai and would absolutely get another. I also really enjoy the amount of trunk space and the car stays dependable for higher miles than most others. The transmission and motor should go for a long time, and I drive a lot so that is very important to me. But a larger covered area for the trunk would be nice. I like having a full size spare and jack in the back of my car. Also, the stereo it came with is absolutely terrible. Otherwise, I love my car.

Original review: June 13, 2018

The 2014 Hyundai Elantra was great. No major issues until now. Battery was dead going into year 3 (was a 5 yr long lasting battery) and also has a ticking engine noise for no reason. Car is maintained regularly. I love this car but not the electrical issues that come with this 2014 model. This model is known for this issue and is a pain and could cause traffic tickets or rear end accidents due to light bulbs being out all the time. This was a great buy for me for at least the next few yrs I need it, I will keep until I absolutely have to get another new car. It's never been recalled but should be. Anyone who owns this car knows this issue and has affected us all. They need to pay more attention to small issues as well as the big ones. I was able to get any work done covered by an extended warranty but this issue should be taken care of by the car company.

I bought the basic model which is nothing fancy, does offer Sirius XM radio if you want to order it, because the price was more affordable for a single mom like myself and priced perfect for the car loan I was getting, didn't need to add an extended warranty until the car hit 100k miles. Extended warranty runs me $150 per month for 18 months and is full bumper to bumper coverage. Love the way it drives and gets us to the places we need to go, even on long road trips. It is great for the family. Size of the car is not too small or too big, was just perfect for me and my two kids aged 8 and 10. We love being in it and enjoy the ride every time. Not much to maintain and low car insurance.

Original review: June 12, 2018

The salesperson was very nice and accommodating. I bought it for my daughter and she loves the feel of the steering wheel and the precision mph gauge. It's a wonderful first car for our 16-year-old daughter!! It's of great value and includes all the features we wanted (Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, blind-side monitors) for a very reasonable price. We also love the roomy interior and it's got an ample trunk. The rear seats are not as roomy as front though. And the car could have more power too.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought my Hyundai Elantra 2 years ago and I have had no problems. I live in snow country although I did put snow tires on the front. The car handles well in all weather.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I love my Hyundai Elantra. The only drawback is it has a terrible blind spot. It took me a while to get used to it and I had several close calls. But overall a great car. 4 years old now and still no issues.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I always owned AMERICAN cars and after the last one which was a piece of junk I decided to buy a foreign made car. The Hyundai Elantra is the best car I ever owned. I have a 2010 and have never had a problem. Around 23 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. Rides good. AC/Heat is great. Buy a Hyundai and you will be happy.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I love the way it drives. It is very comfortable for short people; less so for tall. The Hyundai Elantra 2017 model at least, navigation system sucks. Rear view camera was the straight back kind and would prefer a wide span camera. Blind spot indicator does not work when driving less than 20 miles an hour which makes merging in freeway traffic more difficult.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The Hyundai Elantra was very reasonable in cost and my model had backup camera, and Bluetooth with Android auto letting me use the phone for a GPS through the radio and touchscreen.

Original review: April 28, 2018

We bought our Hyundai Elantra in 2003. It still has plenty of power, good gas mileage and stood up very well in a rear-end collision. A very sturdy and dependable car overall. Just remember routine maintenance is a must for any vehicle.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have several Hyundai automobiles, among them my 96 Elantra Wagon GLS and a 2005 Santa Fe SUV. Both vehicles have given me excellent service and I am quite happy with my driving experiences in them. I should state that I am very careful with my vehicles, striving to proactively maintain them so as to assure a long service life. My overall experience with Hyundai vehicles has shown them to be thoughtfully designed, comfortable and 'fun' to handle. I've had well over 25 vehicles over the past 50 years, ranging from Porsches, VWs, Fiats, Ladas, Chevrolets to Hyundais and was involved with SCCA (SFO Region) for a number of years, so I feel I am well versed in automobile technology & applications. I intend to keep these vehicles for the long term and feel absolutely no need to upgrade to anything newer! They meet ALL my needs perfectly!

Original review: April 27, 2018

We bought our Hyundai Elantra LE 2014 in 2014 because overall we liked it better than others we tested, and because it was the only one we tested in which my husband could comfortably sit. Four years later, and all of 10000 miles (!) he says it is too hard to get in and out of. But it's done what we needed and hasn't given us problems, and is still a nice vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My experience with Hyundai was not a good one. I purchased a brand new Elantra sedan, and initially was thrilled with the 'new car smell' etc, however the honeymoon phase was short-lived. The first incident happened when the car had been in my possession for plus minus three months. Its electrics failed just after I had left the freeway and was stopped in a left turn lane awaiting a green light. Amidst a bevy of rude hand signals, mixed with similar verbal comments, I managed to steer and push the vehicle over to the side of the overlying bridge. As luck would have it the vehicle started again after about five minutes. I headed straight for the dealership, where I had purchased it; but no fault could be found.

Two more incidents like this occurred within the next few weeks, fortunately when I was driving along side roads and didn't have my family with me. Each incident warranted a trip back to the dealership where the faults were supposedly seen to. Next the engine warning light kept on coming on, warranting more trips back to dealership, (two) by which time I was beginning to realize I had a sour lemon on my hands. Before the vehicle was a year old, the next item to fail was the generator, when I was on my way home from work amidst heavy rush hour freeway traffic. I had enough forward momentum to steer off the road and get stuck in a traffic island. (Just loved the difference in sound of horns approach and pass you.) Finally, the rear wheel bearings began to fail and I had to have them replaced. (Apparently wheel bearing failures are a problem with Hyundai models, as there was no charge levied.)

As soon as I could I traded in the Elantra, but because the vehicle had devalued so much, I got stuck with the brand and had to lease a new Accent, which proved to be almost as bad as its bigger brother, so I made a little vow to myself after breaking down due to an electrics failure when opposite an activity center, and went back to Toyota.

Not sure about Hyundai Elantra?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Dealers for you.

Hyundai Elantra Company Information

www.hyundaiusa.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business