Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Hyundai Elantra Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT and I love this car except for a few things about it. When you give it gas, the gas pedal is not smooth. You cannot view everything through windshield. The frame seems to be blocking your view. I do love how the turning ratio on this car is. It's a small car and can fit anywhere!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have owned Hyundai's since 1984. My daughter still has my 2006 Elantra which has over 350,000 miles on it. When the motor seized at 99,000 miles on one of my Elantra's, I had to jump through some hoops because the dealership had been dishonest but Hyundai did eventually honor their 100,000 mile warranty and replace the motor. Another unscrupulous dealership roped me into a 2015 model I didn't ask for. The front bumper started coming apart at the edges and flaring; from what I see as a bad design. I have seen the same make and model with the same problem.

For the money Hyundai is still a great product that lasts, although they are starting to get a little pricey for a make that doesn't hold it's resale value like other makes and models; but I don't know why that is given the history of reliability? My biggest problem with Hyundai are their dealerships. Maybe they need to get away from "commission" sales because most I have dealt with over the past 30 years have been pushy, deceptive and dishonest. So bad it's getting to the point I'd rather sneak on the lot when they are closed to compare cars :( But I still consider Hyundai one of the best deals on the market for getting what you pay for!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I bought this car as a replacement for my Jetta TDI. I shopped quite a few cars, but the Elantra won out. Hyundai offered their "Friends and Family" discount to affected parties. My total discount was was about 6K. I really enjoy driving this car, and it's fast becoming rare, because a manual transmission is no longer offered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I love my Hyundai Elantra. The body looked sleek and I always admired the design of the front bumper. It was always a smooth drive and I loved how we could drive in eco mode with a switch of a button. I also loved the heated seats. Only part that bothered me was the mirrors don't have a built in light system which most cars do.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Love my little car. I have had hardly any maintenance on it and it is an '06. It drives like a dream. It's like the Ever-Ready bunny just keeps going. I will buy another one when I am able, but why now when this one is still like new..

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: March 22, 2020

I bought a new 2020 Elantra Limited in September. The transmission failed (while getting off the highway and I had to drive 10mph home to have it towed) at approx 3500 miles and had to be replaced. It took over 2 weeks which I was provided a rental for free and it was covered under warranty. I can now feel the same thing happening (engine pulling, jumping car, revving RPMs, etc) as last time at 6500 miles. I called to have car looked at and was told it would be at my cost for diagnostics and more if they have to open the engine with no rental unless I wanted to pay. I was told I'll just have to wait for it to happen again unless I want to pay out of pocket. Once the transmission fails again, I will be requesting a buyback or contacting an attorney about lemon lawing the car. I cannot afford to pay for a rental or to have my car looked or transmission replaced every three months.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra that has been paid off for two years now. I recently relocated from Texas to New York, after living in Texas briefly for less than two years. Hyundai has been absolutely horrible in every sense with providing me with the necessary paperwork to have my car registered in the state of New York. First, I have been requesting simple documentation--a bill of sale and a title changeover. I have been given the runaround about receiving this documentation, and have been placed on the phone with probably about 100 customer service representatives over this period, all of whom have the same response: "I understand," and "I'm sorry," yet no one can provide a viable solution or even a simple explanation as to why it is taking so long for this paperwork to mail.

To boot, it is now going on a month that I am unable to drive my car, which is now living in my garage. This has inconvenienced me to the extent where I am having to pay out of pocket for a rental car, despite there being a perfectly good car that is fully paid for and, mind you, has been registered before, sitting in my garage. I have been hung up on by customer service representatives. I have been directed back to the default line when they do not have an answer. Even more commonly, I have been transferred to people in other departments who have outwardly expressed that they cannot help me and are unsure of why my call was transferred to them.

Every single week, I encounter the same story. I am told that my information is in the process of being mailed, and "for some reason" my previous requests have been denied, but no one can tell me the source or reason, which, for an international company, I find to be extremely unacceptable. On a few occasions, I have been told that "their computers weren't working" and "the system was down," which, again, is unacceptable for something that is so simple, yet costing me money, time and frustration. Also, this all comes after a period of time last year when, after paying off my lease and buying out the car, Hyundai continued to bill my account for about six months of money that had already been paid, and, again, it took about 1,000 calls over a three-month period to have the company send money that was rightly mine, which they took out of my account due to a flaw in the system.

Oh, and to add, I have already wasted two full work days sitting in the New York State DMV. I am absolutely appalled with the level of incompetence of this company's finance and customer service departments. I have yet to receive any information in the mail, and I'm starting to feel like the only solution is to get rid of my vehicle entirely, because no matter who I call, absolutely no one can help.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I bought an Elantra that was just over a year old from someone who was upgrading. Shortly after the purchase I bought new tires which wore out on a few months (5000 miles). It was found that the ball joints and stabilize bar were shot. This was not only not covered by a standard warranty but corporate said since I wasn't the first owner there was nothing they would do for me. Shouldn't Hyundai stand behind their vehicle regardless of the owner? They don't know how the original owner drove it so why would it matter who owns it. Now I'm out for two sets of tires and expensive repairs. I for one will not be buying another Hyundai due to poor performance and poor warranty service.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

Just writing a review to warn others that the 2013 Hyundai Elantras have some irreparable issues, and Hyundai Motor America refuses to take responsibility for it. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! My perfectly maintained 6 year old 2013 Elantra was at 59K miles when the engine started making awful rattling, ticking, revving noises and was diagnosed to be in process of complete failure. The dealership I went to stated that it was a "well known" and established issue with all the "Nu" engines from about 2012-2016 and immediately recommended a full engine re-build (aka thousands of dollars of work). Hyundai initially refused to cover anything at all, then offered 60% and no rental coverage (despite the fact that the repair was estimated to take about a month due to the engine parts being back-ordered because so many engine re-builds were underway due to the issues).

After countless phone calls and advocating, I was offered 80% coverage of the repairs and full coverage of the rental. Repairs took 1.5 months to get started and 2 months to complete. Then after all was said and done, Hyundai began denying my car rental reimbursement completely. It took another 4 months, countless hours and calls again, and ultimately, they still refused to cover the last measly $17 of my rental bill, I think just to be spiteful. Absolutely AWFUL business to work with. It is unfathomable that a company can build cars that do not last 60K miles and can skirt taking full responsibility for it. I will never buy a Hyundai vehicle again. And this greatly saddens me, because prior to this I had a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that was a total trooper! Ran great up into the 175K-ish miles. Engine never had one issue. Cheap to repair, maintain, and drive.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Havent met anyone that doesnt love their Elantra. It's sleek, roomy (I'm 5,10" without heels) dependable and easy to drive! We have one that we've driven for over 300 thousand mes and still driving it daily. LOVE it!

Hyundai Elantra Company Information