4.11/5
Based on 9 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

9 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought my Hyundai Elantra 2 years ago and I have had no problems. I live in snow country although I did put snow tires on the front. The car handles well in all weather.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I love my Hyundai Elantra. The only drawback is it has a terrible blind spot. It took me a while to get used to it and I had several close calls. But overall a great car. 4 years old now and still no issues.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I always owned AMERICAN cars and after the last one which was a piece of junk I decided to buy a foreign made car. The Hyundai Elantra is the best car I ever owned. I have a 2010 and have never had a problem. Around 23 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. Rides good. AC/Heat is great. Buy a Hyundai and you will be happy.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I love the way it drives. It is very comfortable for short people; less so for tall. The Hyundai Elantra 2017 model at least, navigation system sucks. Rear view camera was the straight back kind and would prefer a wide span camera. Blind spot indicator does not work when driving less than 20 miles an hour which makes merging in freeway traffic more difficult.

Original review: April 30, 2018

The Hyundai Elantra was very reasonable in cost and my model had backup camera, and Bluetooth with Android auto letting me use the phone for a GPS through the radio and touchscreen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: April 28, 2018

We bought our Hyundai Elantra in 2003. It still has plenty of power, good gas mileage and stood up very well in a rear-end collision. A very sturdy and dependable car overall. Just remember routine maintenance is a must for any vehicle.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I have several Hyundai automobiles, among them my 96 Elantra Wagon GLS and a 2005 Santa Fe SUV. Both vehicles have given me excellent service and I am quite happy with my driving experiences in them. I should state that I am very careful with my vehicles, striving to proactively maintain them so as to assure a long service life. My overall experience with Hyundai vehicles has shown them to be thoughtfully designed, comfortable and 'fun' to handle. I've had well over 25 vehicles over the past 50 years, ranging from Porsches, VWs, Fiats, Ladas, Chevrolets to Hyundais and was involved with SCCA (SFO Region) for a number of years, so I feel I am well versed in automobile technology & applications. I intend to keep these vehicles for the long term and feel absolutely no need to upgrade to anything newer! They meet ALL my needs perfectly!

Original review: April 27, 2018

We bought our Hyundai Elantra LE 2014 in 2014 because overall we liked it better than others we tested, and because it was the only one we tested in which my husband could comfortably sit. Four years later, and all of 10000 miles (!) he says it is too hard to get in and out of. But it's done what we needed and hasn't given us problems, and is still a nice vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

My experience with Hyundai was not a good one. I purchased a brand new Elantra sedan, and initially was thrilled with the 'new car smell' etc, however the honeymoon phase was short-lived. The first incident happened when the car had been in my possession for plus minus three months. Its electrics failed just after I had left the freeway and was stopped in a left turn lane awaiting a green light. Amidst a bevy of rude hand signals, mixed with similar verbal comments, I managed to steer and push the vehicle over to the side of the overlying bridge. As luck would have it the vehicle started again after about five minutes. I headed straight for the dealership, where I had purchased it; but no fault could be found.

Two more incidents like this occurred within the next few weeks, fortunately when I was driving along side roads and didn't have my family with me. Each incident warranted a trip back to the dealership where the faults were supposedly seen to. Next the engine warning light kept on coming on, warranting more trips back to dealership, (two) by which time I was beginning to realize I had a sour lemon on my hands. Before the vehicle was a year old, the next item to fail was the generator, when I was on my way home from work amidst heavy rush hour freeway traffic. I had enough forward momentum to steer off the road and get stuck in a traffic island. (Just loved the difference in sound of horns approach and pass you.) Finally, the rear wheel bearings began to fail and I had to have them replaced. (Apparently wheel bearing failures are a problem with Hyundai models, as there was no charge levied.)

As soon as I could I traded in the Elantra, but because the vehicle had devalued so much, I got stuck with the brand and had to lease a new Accent, which proved to be almost as bad as its bigger brother, so I made a little vow to myself after breaking down due to an electrics failure when opposite an activity center, and went back to Toyota.

Hyundai Elantra Company Information