3.53/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Elantra

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Hyundai Elantra Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

My 2020 Elantra was in a minor fender bender in September and the air bag was deployed, not because of the impact but the angle or at least that's what we were told. Our adjuster was very surprised that bags were deployed because of the minor damage. It has been over 2.5 months and they don't have the parts. Insurance rental coverage ran in October and we asked Hyundai to provide a courtesy rental and pick up cost of rental but they said no because it's not a warranty issue. I explained to them that it's a manufacturer's issue since they have put the car on the road and have no parts. They refuse to help.. Totally frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

This is my 2nd Hyundai Elantra. I now own a 2017 Hyundai Elantra. The engine light keeps coming on while driving and you can feel and see the front of the car vibrating. It's feels as if the vehicle engine is struggling. This is very dangerous and I don't feel safe when driving on the highway at high speeds and this happens out of nowhere. I have taken the vehicle back to the original dealership where I purchased the vehicle. The dealership could not find anything wrong. The engine came on again for several days and would go off. I started recording the incidents on my phone to have documentation.

Over a week ago, I got really bad and the engine would not go off and the car was shaking badly. I was told to take the car to the nearest dealership to let them look at it. I drove to the closest the Hyundai dealership while the engine was light on and was told that to bring the vehicle back the next day since they could not check that evening around 6pm. I told the car back the next day; they couldn't find anything and did a recall repair. I was told to bring my car and leave it with them.

While at the dealership, I met two other customers whom have been problems with their engine lights coming on, car's not starting and the problems are not resolved. I think the problems are not reported because Hyundai have a great warranty. My boyfriends has 2017 Tucson, the battery constantly dies and vehicle doesn't switch gears properly. The dealership claims nothing is wrong. Hyundai have great features, get great mileage and nice styles. The downfall will be engine problems. I will not recommend or purchase another Hyundai.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Whenever the car is either at halt or on slow speed, and I turn my steering wheel, I hear a noise which is very irritating. The company is saying it's in all Elantra's and never try to resolve the issue. Now I think that it's my biggest mistake buying this car due to the noise as it is very irritating and the company is not doing anything for that.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

Hyundai Elantra 2014. Brought this car brand new, 130,000km and it’s only 4 years 10 months old. Has trouble starting as it won’t hold the revs up. Stalls every day. Had a tapping sound in the engine so took it in for diagnostic test. They called to say it needs a new motor. $7500 Australian dollars. I asked what the trade in value was he looked up car sales said $7000 but without a motor nothing. A car that’s not even 5 years old paid $23,000 and pretty much was laughed at because I didn’t want to pay for the motor.

There should be a recall on these cars and it looks like it’s a common issue worldwide and the guy behind the counter knew exactly what I was saying but brushed me off like oh well. Customer service at Hyundai in Cranbourne Victoria is appalling and they should be held responsible for it. It’s inside the engine block and it’s common so they should be bearing these costs. Now I don’t have a car and I won’t be fixing it because they aren’t getting one cent more.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I took my 2018 Elantra for tire change two and half months ago. I'm paying for premium plus warranty that must support tire change under "road hazard" protection. They charged me $245 CAD even when I told them that my warranty should support it. After speaking to their manager, they told me it will be reimbursed. It's been two and half months, I called them five times, I went to the dealer six times in person. They make a copy of the receipt and tell me to wait a few days. They literally have six copy of the receipt now. Hyundai customer service keeps me on the line for hours every time I call them. So the conclusion is that they took my money and don't want to give it back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: July 26, 2019

Purchased a brand new 2012 Elantra w/ only 12 miles. Had major headaches and problems. Car at 12k miles noticed a rattling noise. Took it to the dealership and they said it was the heat shield that need to be welded. Took car 2 times bc the rattling noise would not go away. 3rd time they fixed it. Next issue was the car shut down on me w/ 92k. They said it was software update and bc my car had passed 60k miles I missed the repair. I had to pay for it. I spoke to Service Manager bc I have my car service there so if I was owe a service why didn’t they do it. My car shut down on me while I was driving in the middle of rush hour.

Next, they tried to charge me for the airbags claiming that my issues had nothing to do with the recall. I had to contact the HDQ in CA to have them call the dealership to tell them to fix my airbags bc they didn’t want to cover it. A year later I had the same issue the car shut down on me. This time it was due to the crankshaft sensor. Not the software. Dealership charge me $275 to fix the sensor. They told me that I might have to fix the 3 other sensors eventually. The tires sensors TPMS they are all bad. This has been an issue since the car was only 4 years old.

I have had a Corolla prior to this never gave me any issues. I would not recommend buying this car. Warranty of 100k is not worth it. I still feel my car will shut down on me anytime. Sad that a car now w/ only 129k miles might need to be replaced. My brother owns 2011 Toyota Camry w/ 159k. The only thing he has done is changed oil, tune up and tires. That’s it. Car has no issues. Remind you, I have done all of that at the dealership.

Original review: July 5, 2019

After 65K kilometers all of that new car engines dying. 100% of their 1.8 Nu engines knocking and must be replaced by 9000$! Including my Elantra which I bought in 2013. That's why they selling that cars so cheap. Dealers replacing it by your cost, they are covered by dozen maintenance requirements and mileage, you are not covered, the guarantee is all against you. This car is crap, more crap and one more time- is crap!

Original review: June 26, 2019

I raise my kids to be responsible honest and independent. My daughter’s first car be in the second owner was a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The car was in perfect condition and my daughter loved it. Fell in love with it when she first sought and even loved it more when she drove it. This past month we noticed paint peeling from the roof unexpectedly. It wasn’t hit just peeling. You could see the pain never adhered to the car. Come to find out they had an issue with this paint peeling for many years. I filed a complaint with Hyundai. They told me to take it to the dealership the Body Shop. The Body Shop manager confirmed it was paint delamination and that they have had issues with this car and this color paint and the paint doing exactly what it was doing on my daughter's car that she works so hard for.

The service department submitted it to corporate Hyundai and they declined to fix her car because she was a second owner and because of the miles. She just went over 100,000 miles. The cost to repair her roof is over $1200 because they have to strip it all the way down and redo it. It’s funny how they will post recalls if it’s a mechanical which most of the time they try to hide but they never never post a recall on a paint issue yet we as the consumer get stuck with a vehicle if we want to sell it. That’s going to be basically worth nothing. It’s funny how they will post recalls if it’s mechanical which most of the time they try to hide but they never never post a recall on a paint issue yet we as the consumer gets stuck with the vehicle if we want to sell it. That’s gonna be basically worth nothing for anyone that is considering buying a Hyundai and you are the second owner. Think twice.

You could end up like my daughter with the car that’s going to be worthless and ugly that no one will buy. A dealership won’t give you fair market value because the paint is all peeling off. I raise my kids to be independent to do things on their own. She’s paying for herself to go through school. She paid for her own car. She pays for her own insurance and she’s only 19 years old. I’m raising a daughter that will stand on her own. Something needs to be done. This is just wrong. I have lost 110% trust in high on days customer service and loyalty to their customers. I will never and I mean I will never buy a Hyundai in my entire life and I will make sure my children and my friends and anybody that I can share this story with I will. Hyundai you should be ashamed of yourself. Selfish greed. That’s all it is.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I went today for an oil change on my Elantra at Hyundai Dealer 441 and County Line. ADAM from service dept. presented an estimate for $410 for oil change, two filters, fuel system service, A/C deodorizing. When I asked how often this need to be done every 15,000 miles (my car has 25,000 miles). Another woman estimate was $700. Few minutes later came to service department a saleswoman upset since she couldn’t convince the customer to upgrade and was asking one of the service persons to help her to make the deal. I had a long wait for Adam, another salesman offered to exchange my car for a newer version. In 3 hours I witnessed selfish greedy people, lacking integrity, looking for an opportunity. I’ve been in sales all my life. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I have had the car 8 months and have 11,500 miles on it. I hear rapid clicks from the dash, transmission shifts quickly out of first gear and will stick in second sometimes. The av system freezes up as well. I took it in for routine service and noted it then wrote bad review when they did nothing about it. Got email from service manager and said nothing was noted at all about issues. Regretting this purchase, my first brand new car and it’s becoming a nightmare.

Hyundai Elantra Company Information