2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.56/5

The Hyundai Elantra is a compact car that was first introduced in 1990. Read more Hyundai reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Hyundai Elantra Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hyundai Elantra?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I have a 2016 Hyundai Elantra GT and I love this car except for a few things about it. When you give it gas, the gas pedal is not smooth. You cannot view everything through windshield. The frame seems to be blocking your view. I do love how the turning ratio on this car is. It's a small car and can fit anywhere!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

I have owned Hyundai's since 1984. My daughter still has my 2006 Elantra which has over 350,000 miles on it. When the motor seized at 99,000 miles on one of my Elantra's, I had to jump through some hoops because the dealership had been dishonest but Hyundai did eventually honor their 100,000 mile warranty and replace the motor. Another unscrupulous dealership roped me into a 2015 model I didn't ask for. The front bumper started coming apart at the edges and flaring; from what I see as a bad design. I have seen the same make and model with the same problem.

For the money Hyundai is still a great product that lasts, although they are starting to get a little pricey for a make that doesn't hold it's resale value like other makes and models; but I don't know why that is given the history of reliability? My biggest problem with Hyundai are their dealerships. Maybe they need to get away from "commission" sales because most I have dealt with over the past 30 years have been pushy, deceptive and dishonest. So bad it's getting to the point I'd rather sneak on the lot when they are closed to compare cars :( But I still consider Hyundai one of the best deals on the market for getting what you pay for!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

I bought this car as a replacement for my Jetta TDI. I shopped quite a few cars, but the Elantra won out. Hyundai offered their "Friends and Family" discount to affected parties. My total discount was was about 6K. I really enjoy driving this car, and it's fast becoming rare, because a manual transmission is no longer offered.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I love my Hyundai Elantra. The body looked sleek and I always admired the design of the front bumper. It was always a smooth drive and I loved how we could drive in eco mode with a switch of a button. I also loved the heated seats. Only part that bothered me was the mirrors don't have a built in light system which most cars do.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Love my little car. I have had hardly any maintenance on it and it is an '06. It drives like a dream. It's like the Ever-Ready bunny just keeps going. I will buy another one when I am able, but why now when this one is still like new..

Original review: June 8, 2020

Purchased new in 2014, I will credit this car with being solid and visually appealing. The problem is that the car started to stall on start up shortly after purchase. This was frustrating and a problem. That was never fixed via recall, only by a service check several years after we bought it. The car stalled on one occasion while traveling approx 60km per hour. Hyundai claimed that the problem was only known to occur in that model in Eastern Canada. Car has been unresponsive from the day of purchase and Has a mind of its own. It continues to amaze me how car companies toy with human lives. This car is dangerous.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Hyundai Canada- such an amazing company until you buy their vehicle and then they don’t mind asking you where to go when you approach them for any help even if it is a manufacturing defect from their end. I bought a Hyundai Elantra 2014 brand new. Used it till Jan 2020 and it had about 109k kms. On Jan 28th, 2020, I drove my car to work as usual without knowing that it would be the last time, I would drive that car ever. As I got to work, I parked the car in the underground garage, locked it and went inside to my office. About 15 -20 minutes later, I heard the fire alarm in the building was going off. The reason was my car was on fire. As per the CCTV footage, it started off with a light smoke under the bonnet that got worse, eventually it was a big flame of fire and explosion.

Today, I am lucky to be alive as I was just few minutes away from being in it. As per the fire department, it is an engine fire and my insurance investigative personal also confirmed that it is an engine fire due to manufacturing defect from Hyundai. This ruthless company (Hyundai Canada) even held my insurance settlement in the name of their investigation. The insurance settlement was finally done on April 6th, 2020, it just covered the depreciated value of the car. Since these undervalued brands do not hold any re-sale value, it was just enough for me to pay off the outstanding car loan.

Now I have no car nor any money for the investment I made so far on that car. The total money I spent on that car was about $29k and one third of the car was paid out through my insurance settlement. I was hoping to use that car for at least another 7-10 years as it was well maintained low kms car. Now I have to start all over again to own a car.

Cambridge Hyundai – how can people try to resell a car to the same person who was mistreated. These guys also tricked me initially to get the extended warranty for 8 years or 160k kms and charged me $2800 plus tax. Honestly, I wasn’t even aware that I had it until I looked at the bill of sale recently. All I have been getting is a run around to even get the money refunded for the extended warranty. Great customer service Cambridge Hyundai and Hyundai Canada. How many more people will you suck the life out of?

I got called by them again May 14, 2020 to let me know that from their investigation, car was burned down from an undetermined reason when my insurance investigative representative already concluded that it was a manufacturing defect. They don’t even own up their fault. The conversation ended by them stating that they will not provide any compensation for around the situation I have been put in. If you all know or not there have been more than 300 cases of engine fire with Hyundai cars across North America. Just google “Hyundai engine fire” you will see it.

Recent news states that Hyundai is recalling nearly 430,000 small cars because water can get into the antilock brake computer, cause an electrical short and possibly an engine fire... Last April, NHTSA opened two new investigations into fires involving Hyundai and Kia vehicles after getting complaints of more than 3,100 fires and 103 injuries. Feb 7, 2020. Think a million times before you make an investment on these unreliable brand, people and vehicle. Link to my car burning down - **. A distressed former Hyundai Customer

Original review: March 22, 2020

I bought a new 2020 Elantra Limited in September. The transmission failed (while getting off the highway and I had to drive 10mph home to have it towed) at approx 3500 miles and had to be replaced. It took over 2 weeks which I was provided a rental for free and it was covered under warranty. I can now feel the same thing happening (engine pulling, jumping car, revving RPMs, etc) as last time at 6500 miles. I called to have car looked at and was told it would be at my cost for diagnostics and more if they have to open the engine with no rental unless I wanted to pay. I was told I'll just have to wait for it to happen again unless I want to pay out of pocket. Once the transmission fails again, I will be requesting a buyback or contacting an attorney about lemon lawing the car. I cannot afford to pay for a rental or to have my car looked or transmission replaced every three months.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have a 2018 Hyundai Elantra that has been paid off for two years now. I recently relocated from Texas to New York, after living in Texas briefly for less than two years. Hyundai has been absolutely horrible in every sense with providing me with the necessary paperwork to have my car registered in the state of New York. First, I have been requesting simple documentation--a bill of sale and a title changeover. I have been given the runaround about receiving this documentation, and have been placed on the phone with probably about 100 customer service representatives over this period, all of whom have the same response: "I understand," and "I'm sorry," yet no one can provide a viable solution or even a simple explanation as to why it is taking so long for this paperwork to mail.

To boot, it is now going on a month that I am unable to drive my car, which is now living in my garage. This has inconvenienced me to the extent where I am having to pay out of pocket for a rental car, despite there being a perfectly good car that is fully paid for and, mind you, has been registered before, sitting in my garage. I have been hung up on by customer service representatives. I have been directed back to the default line when they do not have an answer. Even more commonly, I have been transferred to people in other departments who have outwardly expressed that they cannot help me and are unsure of why my call was transferred to them.

Every single week, I encounter the same story. I am told that my information is in the process of being mailed, and "for some reason" my previous requests have been denied, but no one can tell me the source or reason, which, for an international company, I find to be extremely unacceptable. On a few occasions, I have been told that "their computers weren't working" and "the system was down," which, again, is unacceptable for something that is so simple, yet costing me money, time and frustration. Also, this all comes after a period of time last year when, after paying off my lease and buying out the car, Hyundai continued to bill my account for about six months of money that had already been paid, and, again, it took about 1,000 calls over a three-month period to have the company send money that was rightly mine, which they took out of my account due to a flaw in the system.

Oh, and to add, I have already wasted two full work days sitting in the New York State DMV. I am absolutely appalled with the level of incompetence of this company's finance and customer service departments. I have yet to receive any information in the mail, and I'm starting to feel like the only solution is to get rid of my vehicle entirely, because no matter who I call, absolutely no one can help.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I bought an Elantra that was just over a year old from someone who was upgrading. Shortly after the purchase I bought new tires which wore out on a few months (5000 miles). It was found that the ball joints and stabilize bar were shot. This was not only not covered by a standard warranty but corporate said since I wasn't the first owner there was nothing they would do for me. Shouldn't Hyundai stand behind their vehicle regardless of the owner? They don't know how the original owner drove it so why would it matter who owns it. Now I'm out for two sets of tires and expensive repairs. I for one will not be buying another Hyundai due to poor performance and poor warranty service.

Hyundai Elantra Company Information