Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.82/5

GMC Canyon

The GMC Canyon is a mid-size pickup truck that was introduced in 2004 to replace the S-10. Read more General Motors reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

22 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 26, 2019

A little bit about me; I just retired from the military after 30 years of service to our great nation. I took a job in NM and thought I'd buy a new truck as a gift to myself and the thought that I would not have any car problems for my new job, new city, and a new home for my family and I. I bought this truck from Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID online on 30 Nov 2018, however I lived in Alaska at the time and the dealer agreed to hold the truck until 21 Jan 2019. I picked up the truck with a childhood friend, had a canopy installed in Spokane, WA that same day, and we were off to OR. I didn't have any problems for the first 2400 miles. I drove to AZ to visit my mother and this is where the problems began.

My mother and I came out from a car wash, waited for the guys to dry it, went to start it and nothing. The truck would not start, no click(s), all the lights worked, but nothing. I assumed something got wet in the car wash. The owner came out and after about 15 minutes we decided to try and jump it. It did start, and cycled to the volts on the dash and found erratic readings (8.7-15.8). Again, I assumed something got wet, so we drove home. The next day we went to Lowe's and again the truck would not start. I read the night before in the manual that the security system cycles after 10 minutes, so we waited and the truck started. I decided to drive to the Findlay GMC in Prescott since I still needed to make it to NM in a few days to start a new job.

Findlay told me my battery needed to be charged, so they did that. I drove it home, and the next morning the truck would not start. I waited for 30 minutes and it randomly started and drove it to Findlay GMC. They changed a starter relay and told me it was fixed and I drove away to NM. A week later, I've started my new job, and I go outside and the truck doesn't start again. I call my new boss and say I'll be late. The truck eventually starts and I take it to Quality Buick GMC in NM. They tell me I need a new battery. They replace it, and send me on my way. The next day, it won't start again in a parking lot. I call for a tow, the wait is 3 hours, however a guy sees my hood up and asks if I need a jump. The truck get jump started and I drive it to the dealer.

Quality Buick GMC says my canopy is causing the problem and that anything they do will not be covered under warranty. Of course I call the canopy installer and he laughs and says we've installed thousands of canopies and you'd be the first that has had electrical problems from their install. I disconnect the canopy power completely. The truck doesn't start. I have it towed to Quality Buick GMC. They replace a starter relay again, and watch the new relay burn out before their eyes. They replace the starter relay again with a different manufacturer under advice from the Technical Assistance Center (TAC). The truck runs fine for a few more days and then leaves me stranded again. I have it towed again to Quality and they are surprised to see me back.

We have ruled out the canopy, the battery, and replaced the starter relay 3 times. This time the TAC tells them to replace the positive and negative cables from the battery, the starter, and the frame. This installation required the removal of a motor mount and various other components. They give the truck back to me and it kind of fails to start. I turn the key and nothing, however the second time the truck starts. It does this another time during the day but does start. Then, while I'm driving to work a new dash light comes on and a message that says the theft deterrent system needs to be serviced. I bring it back to the dealer and they scratch their heads; by this time everyone at the dealer knows me and this truck, they give me another loaner car.

2 weeks later they call me to say the truck is fixed. They said they found to ground wires that are attached to the engine block that were not tightened down properly. So, I've had the truck for 2 days with no issues at the moment. The dealer explained that all the major car manufactures have got out of the customer service industry and that they really don't care about the consumer especially since lemons are rare. I can absolutely confirm that at least GMC customer care is a joke. The 1-800 # dials the Philippines and someone reading a script. They can't actually help at all, but refer you to a senior specialist that calls 2ish days later and advises they are reviewing your case and will contact you later.

Meanwhile, you may or may not a vehicle to drive, making payments on a vehicle you can't drive, and someone cares at all. Super frustrating to say the least! I called the salesman I bought the truck from, and of course they have never heard of say problems and whispers the secret customer service 1-800 # that's in the back of the manual that takes you to the Philippines. A Dave Smith Motors customer care specials did eventually call back to say to follow the steps in the back of the manual which is to get the vehicle repaired by a GMC dealer and then contact the BBB.org. I mentioned the lemon law on several occasions to the dealer and the GMC customer service.

The dealer said the law is a joke and good luck with that and the GMC customer service person read some script basically saying that if I involve a lawyer that they would no longer talk to me. So here I am 3 months into a new lemon, 1/3 of which I haven't had in my possession and GMC calls today to offer me a free vehicle inspection and offer to repair anything they find that is wrong with the truck? What? I explained that I already have this with the GM warranty. So, really no offer to replace, trade, or refund my money. I requested a replacement vehicle (the exact vehicle). I did file a BBB case which is actually quite painless other than a few hours of your time.

I used an analogy to reconcile with just about all the players in this story; You buy a $1000 TV from Best Buy, You bring it home and use it for a night or 2 and then it doesn't come on. You call the customer service line and they say check this, check that and finally tell you to bring it back. They don't give you a replacement TV, they give you a new power cord and tell you it’s fixed. You bring it home and it doesn't turn on. You bring it back and they say they'll have their tech look at it. They replace a part and say it's fixed. You bring the thing home again and it doesn't work! Meanwhile you don't have TV and you are out $1000 and countless hours of your time. The tech continues to work on your TV... Now multiply this by 40! No one will buy your TV and you get it replaced. Do you think you would ever go to Best Buy again?

This doesn't seem to bother anyone at GMC. I just have to say the dealers have to listen to your rant because corporate doesn't care if your vehicle runs or not, your bank doesn't care if vehicle runs, but if you show up too many times late to work I bet your boss fires you. Both Findlay and Quality GMC service were awesome to work with. They occasionally see this situation and are powerless to help other than work on your lemon. VIN# **

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I loved my 2005 3.5L Canyon for 17 years and 98000 miles. Hit 100,000 and my dash lit up. Engine Codes, Battery Codes, & ABS Codes. The real issue is everyone has suggestions, but no one really knows how to fix them. The worst diagnosis was that I needed a new engine. $7000-$10000 for a $5000.00, but beautiful truck. The body and interior looks like new.

I fixed the ABS with brakes, rotors, hubs and sensors ($1300.00). Battery & alternator ($400.00) and still the light comes on. Tuned up engine with plugs, coils, O2-sensor, & Variable Valve timing actuator (VVT) $300.00. Still misses at idle and generates codes. At Low and high speeds it runs great and gets good mileage. As I search the Internet I see a lot of other 2004-2006 Canyon owners who have had similar issues & experiences. I would never knowingly buy a vehicle that 100,000 miles is the time for the scrap yard. I expect vehicles to last 20 years and 150,000. General Motors should do better.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I have had this truck for a week as the dealer lent it to me while my Sierra is being repaired. It is a nice little truck. The V6 and 10 speed transmission are nice. Holds 3rd or 4th a little longer than I am used to. The console shifter is large but makes a nice handrest. The back seats (crew cab) are adequate for smaller people and children. Underneath the seats there is a storage compartment which causes the rear loading space to be smaller than it should be when the seats are up. The compartment is not flush with the floor either, but overall it's serviceable. The cargo bed is appropriate for this size truck and I have had no problems carrying furniture, bicycles, and yard equipment. The truck is really easy to park and maneuverable. This particular model has 4 wheel drive. It works. The V6 propels the truck with alacrity especially if you rev the engine. It's pretty fast, and stable at 70 to 80 mph.

Fuel economy is not as good as I expected although if I drive conservatively (which is a little difficult) it gets 23 to 24 mpg pretty easily, but so does my v8 Sierra. So, that's not real impressive. The truck kind of makes me feel like I am driving a large go-kart, which is fun. I did also test drive a diesel version of this truck, and it was not impressive. Rough idle even for a diesel, and underpowered at freeway speed. The torque was not particularly impressive either but I did not tow anything during that drive. I would recommend the V6, if you are considering both. More fun and probably less issues and maintenance down the road. I think this truck would be pretty great for new drivers (with the 4 cyl) and for people who aren't comfortable with driving a full size truck for whatever reason. It seems capable enough to do most truck related things well. You probably won't save any gas with the v6z though.

I did notice that this truck did not have a receiver hitch, which I found odd. The interior quality is good to excellent. Very similar to the full size. The interior door handles are a bit small. The dash is also really short, and the ac fan is relatively loud. The controls are easier to reach than the Sierra. There is plenty of leg and headroom, but I am 5'11", so if you're taller by 3 to 4" that may not be the case for you. The audio system is adequate with 6 speakers. Moderate intensity bass vibrates the mirrors. The speakers themselves are loud enough and have decent sound quality. The rearview camera has good resolution and has a trailering line to center the ball with the hitch of the trailer.

The low beam headlights are pretty dim, and yellow. High beams are required especially if there are no streetlights. The brakes are excellent and bite well. I have noticed that it's pretty easy to spin the rear tires even with traction control, and the rear end is light and subject to skipping over bumps and gravel. Incidentally, the Denali trim of this model was not much nicer than the SLE trim, so take that into account as it does increase the price considerably. It looks nicer on the outside though. Overall it's a pretty capable truck if you don't need or want a full size truck.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

A quality vehicle for the price in comparison to similar vehicles in this particular category. Would highly recommend this model to anyone. This vehicle was a highly dependable vehicle for everyone in the family who drove it. We made sure to service it on schedule and took excellent care which aided in the life of this vehicle. It was a bright red and had nice, prominent trim to set off the look. We had shiny wheels and attractive tires to complement the look of this vehicle. This vehicle was a very durable vehicle for the number of miles it endured. Although we babied it, it was capable of taking on any type of road or terrain.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Small truck with good gas mileage & still plenty of room. Like having a car and truck all in one. Has a higher resale value. Smooth riding. Starts every time you turn the key on with no problems. Takes you anywhere you want to go. Good to haul small items in. Looks like a small truck with a very nice appearance. Easy to keep clean & wash regularly. Will look good for years to come if taken well care of. Tires make it look bigger than it is. Very happy with the toughness of the truck. Can pull a small load with no problems & with very little gas use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GMC Canyon?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

The overall design of the vehicle is great to look at and the interior is beautiful The performance of this vehicle is beyond reproach. It would stand along many other vehicles in performance, miles per gallon and every day use. This is a very good looking designed vehicle that looks great and have received many compliments when driving this vehicle. Many of my friends have wanted to borrow this vehicle. The durability of this vehicle is great. I have had very little maintenance of this vehicle at all. The only thing I have had to do with this vehicle is change the oil and routine maintenance.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

It has been great. Enjoy riding it. Not much rust. Thought it was beautiful when I first saw it. Paid it off. Bought it new off the showroom floor and drove it. Had very little breakdowns. One major. Needed one head gasket. And I would definitely buy another one someday. Doesn't have to be new, a used one would be fine. I definitely would recommend you to buy one. Chevy is very dependable vehicle. When I first saw it I fell in love with it. It was red and black in color. I kept it waxed at least twice a year and kept up on the maintenance. It didn't have any rust for about 10 to 12 years. It was very durable. I drove it all over the city and on vacation for ten years. Took it to Florida, west coast, Washington wheat to the east coast, Washington Dc.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

As a high school student, it brought me the freedom to go wherever I needed to go. I drove to school, to pick up my siblings, run errands, etc. It always got me where I needed to go. I drove the vehicle for years and never once did I experience any problem serious enough that I needed to bring it into a mechanic shop for work. It ran very smooth for the time that I had it. It was not the most beautiful of vehicles, but it seemed just fine to me. There were no dents, no scratches. It didn't look brand new, but it did not look like a clunker either. Honestly, I was just happy to have any vehicle. It lasted years without any issues. I drove the vehicle daily and never experienced any issues. If it were not for the fact that I moved halfway across the country, I would still have it.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2016

It is great for running errands and hauling smaller loads. Getting kids around and keeping all the sports gear I need around and with the mileage it gets, it's pretty economical as well. Good engine, pretty powerful for what it is used for. Wouldn't be able to tow large trailers, but it can handle most things and keep the family going. Good style and well made, easy to navigate inside with great color combos and is timeless enough to stay in the family for years to come. I have had the truck for almost 7 years now and have not had any major problems. Almost all my money has been spent on normal maintenance and upkeep.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

Has been very valuable. It's a great ride and has hauled many things for me and taken me on several road trips and it easily tows my boat and camper. Overall it is an excellent truck. Great fuel mileage and more than enough power to haul materials for home projects and tow my boat and trailer with things too large to fit in the bed of the truck. The truck is stylish and customizable. You can make this truck look like an extension of your personality or leave it as it came from the factory and the truck will look equally as good. One of the most durable trucks I have owned. The truck has 150,000 miles and still rides, drives and runs as well as the day it was purchased. To me that's a very durable truck.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Handles the cold weather well. Fun to drive, little or no repairs, is a vehicle you would be proud to drive, fun easy fast reliable. Looks different from other vehicles. It has the power to drive in snow sleet rain. Accelerates well in traffic. Great on the highway or country roads. It's a car I'm proud to own, it has lots of style and charisma. Great color. Perfect interior seats that are comfortable on long rides or a short trip to the store, has lots of cargo room for all the things you need to take with you. With three kids the interior hold up to almost anything.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

Good gas mileage. Plenty of room in the extra cab and bed looks good. Plenty of power. Looks good. Good visibility. Handles good. Hulls enough weight. Plenty of power for a five cylinder engine. No problem carrying weight in the bed. Steering is good. Its maintenance is low. Good lines and paint job. Nice rims and tires. Good colors. Good interior. Runs smooth on the road and freeway. Roomy in the rear cab accessories. You can carry loads with no problems. Had a bad engine intake valve go bad. Had to have the cylinder head replaced. Good tire wear.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

Car can get around town without any problems. Better than walking around tired all the time. At least not bend over backwards. Fitting in with everybody else between classes. The car drives like a dream. Feel good about ones self. Not look like fool. In style with the crowd and classes forward in looking like fit in with society. Looks great. Design not the same old boring design like year after year. Artistic features. Not design to be same from decades to come. Not ashamed of being in car. Strong and dependable. Not weak like previous cars from way back and the future and the past. The taste of car not bad to the touch and much needed uplifting.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

Great truck, durable and excellent fuel mileage. Great for hauling and pulling. Absolutely pleased with the handling and ease of this vehicle. This truck is easy to handle. It can also be used for many daily activities. This truck is very durable and easy to drive and haul. This truck has all the qualifications of a durable and rugged truck but also a look of beauty that can be used and driven by a man or woman. Love this truck. I am not scared to haul or pull anything, whether a boat , Uhaul or trailer. This is an excellent truck to have and I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Does not say that the special features are the features that you do have. Are not what they say they are. And when it comes to something breaking down they say it's covered but it's not covered. Says it's got very high performance. Does not. You have to use great a gas. If you don't the car does not run the way it should. Does not stop at Contacts and does not have the power it says. I was happy with the color and the look and my neighbors really liked it so they went out and bought one and got mad at me before talking to me about it. We moved our neighbor and we had less than what the vehicle requirements were for the weight and the truck's performance was very slow as if the transmission could not keep up.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Chevy manages to give you value all the way around. The fuel efficiency is very nice. Chevy gives you a lower upfront cost than most companies. The overall cost to maintain the vehicle is nice too. The engine is not big enough to pull the car. It's okay, I guess. It runs and goes, but the engine you can tell struggles a little bit. Overall performance is okay. Not a bad looking vehicle at all! Customizable inside and out, which makes us chicks happy! Pretty color choices are available. The entire is nice and spacious. The actual body of the vehicle is very sturdy. Some might say, built like they used to be built. The engine is not so great. Mine was two years old before it had to be totally replaced with a new engine.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

It was easy to drive, didn't give that much problems service-wise, was easy on gas, and had good pick-up and go. The seats were very comfortable and were made of quality materials. The engine worked flawlessly, had no major problems. The transmission shifted good. It was easy on oil consumption. The engine had lots of get up and go. It had a very good paint job, it didn't fade. It was a two-tone color; black on the top and gray on the bottom. It looked very nice after a car wash. When I got rid of it, it had over 300,000 miles on the odometer, and still ran good. The engine was virtually unstoppable! It ran like a tank.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I think I got it from around 6'000 because it was my husband who brought it. It's great for mud dirt and my all-time favorite is rocks. They work great and the tire is so big and bold that you might be able to run over a piece of glass and still not have a flat. Well the one I have is black with brown leather seats and it has lots of cup holders and other things so that's really it but so far it's my favorite model. I like that you can't get a flat every 20 minutes like my older car used to do and that you can drive longer without having to keep filling up your gas tank at the gas station.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

The price wasn't too outrageous. It did a lot better on gas than other cars I had. It drives super easy as well. Very comfortable seating. Roomy enough to fit everyone in comfortably. I loved driving this vehicle! It drove really smooth. Gas was very affordable for me. It was able to get up and go without any problems. Great for short distance drives to work or school and also for longer travels like road trips. I thought this vehicle was super cute. It looks very fancy and elegant but it's not terribly expensive! Which is great. The inside of the vehicle looks very classic. Everyone has different tastes but I really enjoyed the look of this vehicle. Oh, the durability is awesome! I don't really want to admit this, but once I got in a little fender - bender and let me just say it was not my fender that got bent! My vehicle look like nothing even happened to it, not even a scratch!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

A little expensive for me. I make money but not a ton. But I love this vehicle and enjoyed many experiences in it. Would recommend to people. It drove very fast and was extremely good for a car that was of its value. I survived many ordeals in this vehicle and have been blessed by God himself. It looks like doo doo but I love this vehicle. I would recommend you change the color scheme and add a cheese color. Any ways great jobs. Never needed to repair this vehicle because it was made stronger than Damascus steel. I believe Jesus has personally touched my vehicle and made it invincible.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Was very well worth the money for this vehicle, it ran great excellent gas mileage, and ran beautifully on long distance drives. I would definitely recommend this vehicle to anyone. This vehicle was very stunning looking ran excellent and have great curb appeal and was a valuable asset to have in our fleet of work vehicle as well as for personal use. Very sleek lines both inside and outside, very well built and very clean looking. I would definitely recommend this vehicle for both personal and work use as well. It is well worth the money you would spend on this vehicle. The frame, drive train and engine for this truck is very finely built, the vehicle performed well beyond it specified capacity, it also performance was very much surpassed by the what I had expected.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Mechanical errors with engine. Was very disappointed with price for quality. I seen they took them off the roads now that's probably why. Upgrades would have been better as s10 was taken off the road and now Colorado and canyon they need a small truck. It did not run correctly from beginning. Then took back to dealership and they said it was fine. Burning oil cracked head blew up out another motor in and same thing they all had problems I am assuming. Radiator fluid normally cools motor and it never did I think it was plugged. Loved it from appearance. Had several colors available that were great. My hubby loved them too... colors for girls and guys awesome. Details like flares and add ons like hood scoop made it look awesome. It was ok... would have loved to keep the truck longer but it just wasn't in the cards. Took a massive loss on truck and still not to sure about gmc now.

GMC Canyon Company Information