Chevy Tahoe
  • 1 star
Based on 89 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Chevy Tahoe

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 6, 2017

139 Chevy Tahoe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The appearance of my Tahoe is awesome, or at least I think so. Many people have commented on how pretty it is. The Tahoe has performed very well. I have not had any problems. As for the value, I certainly do believe it is overpriced as all the vehicles we looked at are. We looked at a lot of different makes. The automobile seems to think that it can make up lost money by overcharging everyone. I hope this will be the last car I ever have to buy. Believe me, I am taking extremely good care of it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I bought a 2004 Z71 Chevy Tahoe back 6 years ago. It had low miles and I loved my Chevy Tahoe. Didn't really have any issues with it at all. All were minor. Did great service on my Tahoe including oil changes, tires rotation, balance etc. My Tahoe had low mileage for being a 2004, week ago me and my husband and a couple of my daughter’s friends were driving down the highway and started smelling smoke. Pulled over and realized my Tahoe was on fire. No warning no nothing. All we can think is it happened under the dash. Before we knew it was in fire. We popped the hood and smoke was coming from the fuse box. Not the one in the cab. We opened the lid and the fuses was melting.

Fireman don't know what caused this fire, can't really find any reviews with same issue, get the same outcome not knowing why this occurred. Very scared and would like to know if anyone can tell me why this would happen? I just recently bought a 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV. I know this is the same type of brand and kind of eerie now because seeing that this could happen again with no warning. I loved my Tahoe but I’m not going to put my family at risk. Can anyone help us and is this a known issue that needs to be investigated?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 26, 2017

To say the very least I am 100% disappointed and disgusted with my purchase of a 2015 Chevy Tahoe. I have previously owned 4 Chevy Tahoes and none of them have compared to the 2015 model. This vehicle has given my family and I numerous problems. How about driving down the road and the side panel of your door flying off into traffic. I would say that's a safety issue. How about being at a gas station far away from your hometown and the battery goes dead. By the way this vehicle is only 2 years old.

The air conditioner decides to start blowing hot air. It's only 100 degrees in Texas. The list goes on and on, on this high dollar GM vehicle. Oh did I mention how many times it's been in the shop and how many times GM service manager has told me that this is someone else's problem sending me back and forth between body shop and service. WHAT A JOKE!!! GM GET YOUR ** TOGETHER!!! Did I mention I now own a quality SUV and it's not a CHEVY!!!

Original review: July 4, 2017

I am TRULY disappointed with my 2015 Tahoe SUV. I bought it in 2015 at a Chevy dealership and Its already having AC issues. The dealership told me that I MUST order a new AC condenser, only available AFTERMARKET nationwide because the original part is coming from overseas and no matter what, it will cost me $1300, for a 2 years old car. WHO wants to drive a vehicle without AC in FL??? To make things worse, electronic problems, AC failure, already a new battery, and there is NO RECALLS.

Original review: June 13, 2017

2015 50k vehicle AC has gone out 2 times in 8 months. First time 8 months ago when vehicle was 1 1/2 yr old, told it was condenser and paid $700 to replace part and labor. 8 months later AC stops working again, take it back and told this time it is the Compressor and want $950 to replace. I am hosed because I have high freeway mileage, never any accidents, live in Pacific NW (low AC usage). Hundreds of people complaining about this same issue in the year range on internet. NW Chevy and GM refuse any assistance or responsibility in this clearly faulty part. AC should not be going out in a new and supposedly "quality" vehicle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

Original review: June 12, 2017

I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe which is garage-kept and only has 77,000 miles on it, and the dashboard has recently cracked for no reason. Also the air conditioning + and - controls chipped off. A coworker has had the same issue with her dashboard cracking. For as much as I paid for this vehicle this should be better made. I noticed numerous complaints on this website about the cracked dashboard. Has anyone contacted Chevy and had this corrected?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

I drive a Chevy Tahoe 2014 Z71. The seat is constantly getting stuck. My dealer has been so great about fixing it but I'm so tired of taking it in and it's embarrassing when you have people ride with you and you're driving around with the pillow in your back because your seat won't move. I've had this car two years now and it continues to be a problem. The transmission clunks the door handle fell off. General Motors should be embarrassed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Reliable and very dependable. I've owned my 1999 chevy Tahoe for quite some time. I am a second owner. The mileage on my vehicle is very high approximately 190,000. Yes I've had to replace water pump, fuel pump, alternator, and other normal parts. The engine still has plenty of power and still looks very nice and is a complete joy to drive around and play in the sand. I've enjoyed this vehicle so much. I also have a 1999 GMC Yukon. They are basically the same vehicle. And both 4x4 models both are fun in the sun and sand.

Original review: July 7, 2016

I purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT with Luxury package. The vehicle's rough and GM's answer put shims in engine mounts. When that doesn't work, check shims as they fall out. When that doesn't work we will take a couple out. That's GM's answer. Took two long trips. Going one way with cruise and one w/o. I get 3 miles to the gallon better with my foot as in cruise it stays in V8 even on flat surfaces. No answer for that. When setting the memory seats to # 1 driver the seat goes back and the steering wheel goes up. When I unlock the door the seat moves to the drive setting making it harder to gain entry. If I open the door w/o having to unlock it the seat stays in the exit position and as you drive off you have to fumble with the # 1 button near the floor which is really great in the dark.

The ultimate headache is when you call customer service and get India who then tells you they will transfer you to the U.S. where the ultimate idiot is waiting and he tells you there is no support he or GM can give you other than to send you to the dealer you're having an issue with. This is what you get from GM by buying U.S.

Original review: May 17, 2016

I have a 2009 Tahoe with 82K miles that I was pretty happy with until recently. The dash has now cracked, cruise control does not work, rattling inside the driver's door. Locking mechanism not working in rear passenger door, rust over both rear wheels, and now a terrible squeak while making right turns. They just do not make cars to last anymore.

Original review: March 21, 2016

I purchased a 2010 Tahoe with great expectations for my growing family. After having it for 5 months, I know better than to purchase GM again. Christmas Day we left to go to my family's house. There were some spots in the road with water. We drove through them. Mind you every car was driving through them even little cars. I would say the water was not higher than the middle of my rim on my tire. Shortly after I started having problems with the vehicle jerking. I took it to the shop and they said to change the oil and do a tune-up. During the inspection at NTB they noticed that the transmission dip stick was completely dangling from the transmission. They shoved it back into place and told me to get it checked. They do not do that type of work.

After a lot of research I found a recall on the dipstick. I purchased the Carfax and it had not been taken care of. I called GM and they offered pretty much nothing. Just a little bit to have it flushed at a dealership that did not even check to see if it had water in it. However I did not feel comfortable so I took it to the dealership that I purchased it from. They stated that they did not think it had water in there. They charged me to fix the recall and new spark plugs.

Finally after not getting any help I contacted my insurance and asked about flood damage. Remind you that the water I drove through was not a massive flood but I'm grasping at anything at this point. I had my insurance adjuster to go to the dealership and open the transmission. Guess what! Water!!! So since I cannot afford a $3700 transmission I had to file a claim. I had to pay out of pocket 1100.00. If the recall would have been taken care of, the water would not have been able to get inside. GM will not help me because it's the previous owner's fault for not handling it. The recall never showed on the vin because it was expired. I would have never purchased this vehicle. Nor will I buy GM again. Buyers beware. They will not assist you even if it's a recall that was not taken care of from a prior owner.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2016

I bought a 2011 Tahoe Hybrid brand new and I was very happy with it, I took excellent care and I did all the maintenance in Global Auto Mall in New Jersey, until November 2015 and with 136000 miles the engine light come up. I took it to the dealer and they replace a rusted bracket underneath the motor. I paid $900+ to fix it. I drove back home and the light come up again, dealer change a sensor. I got my Tahoe on Friday, Monday the car was back on the dealer with the engine light on, this time the dealer say I need a new motor $10,700 to fix, the car is still in the dealer and nobody could explain why this happen other than bad quality. I hate to say this but it is my very first experience buying a domestic car and it will be the last one. I still owe $20,000 to the bank for this car I can't use.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

On May 28, 2015 I leased a 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe from Enterprise Car Rental. Felt there could possibly be something different or wrong when first started driving it and my passenger seemed to feel it also. When you accelerated seemed like it wanted to lift up and start flying... Anyway you felt a certain lift in the vehicle. I made this comment to my passenger several times because of the strange feeling.

May 29th, I went to gas station close to home to replenish the fuel before returning to Enterprise Car Rental. When starting the Tahoe and putting it in gear it just literally jumped forward, a throttle like surge, and accelerated moving forward, accelerating faster and faster. At the same time had NO brakes at all to slow the vehicle. This all happened within about 50 feet of a railing boundary at end of lot. There was a lake on other side of railing, in trying to turn to avoid hitting railing or going into lake turned vehicle as hard as I could at the speed it was going. Tahoe jumped the railing, sliding down the railing into main electrical pole, activating the air-bags... Probably saving our lives or seriously hurting or killing someone else.

The insurance inspectors came back from their inspection with finding nothing wrong with Tahoe. I had a nationally known cattle business headquartered in Illinois for thirty-six years with cattle in Wyoming and South Dakota, traveling a lot back and forth there and to my customers and have had a very good driving record. The State Police were present at the accident scene and agreed something strange had to happen for this situation to present itself. Of course, went on my record and raised my insurance rate! if anyone inspected where this happened, the small area, they would agree there was something wrong with this Tahoe. And if anyone would think I was somewhat incapacitated... I have never had a beer, cigarette, or even a cup of coffee. Scariest moment of my life!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2015

I have a 2003 and 2004 Tahoe. The brakes lines failed on both, in the same month. On one an accident was avoided by driving into an embankment. The other failed while pulling a trailer. I used the trailer drag and a field to stop the vehicle. Both were catastrophic brake system failures. Apparently, these brake lines were designed with non-weather protected steel which corrodes in non-visible crevices. And no dashboard light to warn of failure. The failure in both instances was complete, instantaneous and dire. We have 6 Chevy vehicles. Am disappointed in Chevy. This problem has been known to exist. Apparently Chevy exec bonuses are more important than my wife's life.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Brakes failed due to rusted brake line, almost caused major possible fatal crash. When will GM be responsible and recall this problem? What government agency can assist in having GM be accountable for replacement costs?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015
My 2007 Tahoe dash started cracking in 2010. GM knew about the problem in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and GM continued to install the same defective part.

So what is the answer to the question? They don't CARE.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

We bought a 2011 Chevy Tahoe in Dec. 2012 in Glenwood Springs, CO. We drove it all the way back to Florida with no problems. The Tahoe was like brand new when we purchased it and still is. We take very good care of our vehicles. The Tahoe has been garaged and kept out of the sun, even at work. Just recently noticed the crack in the dashboard. Very disappointing. Decided to go online and see what consumers had to say and even more disappointing is the fact that this seems to be a problem with the Chevy Tahoe since 2007 to the present.

Why hasn't Chevy offered to fix this problem? It is obvious that this is a defect in their product and they should be responsible for the repair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We did buy an extended warranty on the vehicle since it was used and we intend to keep the vehicle for a long time. It's actually the second new vehicle my husband and I have purchased in the 36 years we have been married. Any help would be appreciated.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2015

I own three Chevy vehicles a '07 Tahoe, '08 Sierra, and '11 Sierra. All three have this same problem with the dashes cracking around the airbag and over the instrument cluster. The cracks over instrument cluster are the worst because they keep getting larger as time goes on. This is definitely a major problem that GM needs to address. I have always been a Chevy man but starting to think otherwise.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

2010 Tahoe Cracked Dashboard - Dashboard starting cracking around 30-40k miles and GM refuses to cover. It is obviously a common problem and unbelievable that they will not stand behind their product. I encourage everyone to file a complaint directly with GM to increase the odds of them covering the $1000 repair under a recall. I started the process online and it took almost three weeks for them to tell me they couldn't do anything. If you want to file a complaint directly about your broken dash, call 866 790 5700 x**.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

2010 Tahoe white smoke. I have had this issue go on many occasion ever since I got my car, actually 4 times. I am really considering getting rid of my car. No one seems to know what the problem is. I have been searching about the internet and it seems like it's something that happens to this type of car frequently.

Original review: June 24, 2015

I recently bought a used 2011 Chevy Tahoe with about 55k miles on it. At the time I bought the vehicle, the dashboard was not cracked. Withing about 6 months, I now have a crack over the drive side instrument panel. In researching the issue online, this appears to be a very common problem, yet Chevy has not put in a recall for the issue. These cracked dashboards are obviously not a one off issue.

Original review: June 21, 2015

I was riding a month after I had got it and it started acting up like locks popping up and down, navigation blank on and off, and dvd went off and came back and truck act like it wanted to shut off.

Original review: June 17, 2015

The dash on my 2007 Chevy Tahoe has cracked at the corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster, which is a wide spread issue. The City Chevy Dealership of Kansas City, Mo has stated that this was not a safety hazard and will not cover any portion of the repair due to being out of warranty. I contacted GM and they have also, stated they will not cover repair costs. This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision. Yet, nothing is being done to rectify the such.

Original review: May 31, 2015

Power doors lock and unlock on its own. Not always from hitting a bump. Lights flicker at the same time. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Original review: May 16, 2015

We bought our 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 116,000 miles on it and it's been the best vehicle up until about six months ago. Other than the required oil changes every 3000 miles or so I haven't had to replace anything. I've had a dead battery once or twice but that's it. Then six months ago my battery gauge went haywire and quit working. We smelt rubber burning pulled over but couldn't find anything. The battery gauge needle now lays on the opposite side of where it normally would sit or start from. It doesn't work anymore.

Then three months after that I could tell that we were going faster than speedometer read and of course I knew my truck and was right. When the truck shut off the speedometer never fell past ten miles per hour. So we unplugged the cable from under the truck on the side of the transmission and it started working again. I've had to do this about ten times because it messes up every so often. Now my oil gauge float from 40 to 20 to zero and the dash is constantly displaying oil pressure low, sometimes even beeping while going down the road as a warning to shut the engine down. Every time it's had oil in it.

We have replaced the oil sensor sending unit, changed the oil and filter and it is still doing it. Had O'Reilly's put the machine on it to see which codes it was throwing and the only code was for a knock sensor. The truck has been running bad using way too much gas getting poor gas mileage and sometimes acting as it wants to stall out or cut off but does it the most when I'm idling or sitting in a line with the air running full blast. It's not knocking but you can hear the valves rattling when you come up to a stop sign.

Right now my husband and I are trying to drop the oil pan to clean the screen because someone told us to put Lucas oil treatment and zMax in it at the same time. Well we did and the oil plug was caked with crud since we did. And after this the last thing to do is replace the oil pump with 220,330 miles on it. I hope we find the problem soon. This is our only vehicle and we keep replacing parts only for it to keep doing the same thing!!!

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. We decided to do the oil pump last because the guy at the part store said "you have to mess with the timing and all to get to the oil pump" and neither one of us have did that before. Please help!!! And does anyone have problems with the wiring on their Tahoe. The only other problem I forgot to mention was the front ac only works on five and you can hit a bump and it quits blowing so you have to reach under the dash in the passenger side floor board and wiggle the wires and it starts back blowing again. Please help us!!!

Original review: May 12, 2015

I own an 08 Tahoe, and when I first bought my suv it was ok, and paid for the top extended warranty. I have had this smell like something is burning, or some type of chemical smell, all kinds of lights come on, on the dash, and my car shuts down. It says reducing power and it does, and it scares the crap out of me. I take it in with the dash lights still on. It's been tow/driven into the dealer, 6 times. They charged me a couple times, and said it was fix. Well after a couple of months, it does it again. I’m sooo scared that I'm going to get in a accident, what to do?

Original review: March 14, 2015

2008 Tahoe - I also had the same problem with my dashboard - cracked above the steering wheel and the passenger side, and I also kept my car in garage. Very disappointed!! It had cracked after 2 yrs after I bought it. Same problem as others - its caving in. They should stand behind their vehicles.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

2010 Tahoe with 19,450 miles on it. We are the original owners and we just got a crack in the dash. Our Tahoe is in mint condition, never mistreated. Our 1980ish F-150 truck has 150,000 miles is a construction truck that had been mistreated, does NOT have a crack in its dash.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2015

Engine light frequently comes on. Always took it to the Dealer and cost me $100's to $1000's of dollars. Went to a local mechanic and he could not figure out all the different codes so he deleted them took the car home and ran fine. Gave it back to me for a $90 charge. That lasted over a month and engine light came on again so I went to the auto parts store, had them check the codes and delete them $0. Tahoe runs great again. Looks like I need to invest in a diagnostic tool and save a lot of money. Owning a car should not be this way.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2015

The media player controller will not allow the iPod to stay on shuffle after the vehicle is powered down. Each time, the end user has to go through three on-screen steps to get it on shuffle. I have had this into the dealer many times and complained. I've had a 2010 Equinox and a 2013 Cad SRX that both worked properly and now they changed it for 2015. WHY? All this would take is a software change to keep it in last position. Easy to do and can do through OnStar! Come on GM - you want good loyal customers, FIX THIS!!!!!!

Chevy Tahoe Company Information