Chevy Tahoe

842people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Chevy Tahoe:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT with Luxury package. The vehicle's rough and GM's answer put shims in engine mounts. When that doesn't work, check shims as they fall out. When that doesn't work we will take a couple out. That's GM's answer. Took two long trips. Going one way with cruise and one w/o. I get 3 miles to the gallon better with my foot as in cruise it stays in V8 even on flat surfaces. No answer for that. When setting the memory seats to # 1 driver the seat goes back and the steering wheel goes up. When I unlock the door the seat moves to the drive setting making it harder to gain entry. If I open the door w/o having to unlock it the seat stays in the exit position and as you drive off you have to fumble with the # 1 button near the floor which is really great in the dark.

The ultimate headache is when you call customer service and get India who then tells you they will transfer you to the U.S. where the ultimate idiot is waiting and he tells you there is no support he or GM can give you other than to send you to the dealer you're having an issue with. This is what you get from GM by buying U.S.

I have a 2009 Tahoe with 82K miles that I was pretty happy with until recently. The dash has now cracked, cruise control does not work, rattling inside the driver's door. Locking mechanism not working in rear passenger door, rust over both rear wheels, and now a terrible squeak while making right turns. They just do not make cars to last anymore.

I purchased a 2010 Tahoe with great expectations for my growing family. After having it for 5 months, I know better than to purchase GM again. Christmas Day we left to go to my family's house. There were some spots in the road with water. We drove through them. Mind you every car was driving through them even little cars. I would say the water was not higher than the middle of my rim on my tire. Shortly after I started having problems with the vehicle jerking. I took it to the shop and they said to change the oil and do a tune-up. During the inspection at NTB they noticed that the transmission dip stick was completely dangling from the transmission. They shoved it back into place and told me to get it checked. They do not do that type of work.

After a lot of research I found a recall on the dipstick. I purchased the Carfax and it had not been taken care of. I called GM and they offered pretty much nothing. Just a little bit to have it flushed at a dealership that did not even check to see if it had water in it. However I did not feel comfortable so I took it to the dealership that I purchased it from. They stated that they did not think it had water in there. They charged me to fix the recall and new spark plugs.

Finally after not getting any help I contacted my insurance and asked about flood damage. Remind you that the water I drove through was not a massive flood but I'm grasping at anything at this point. I had my insurance adjuster to go to the dealership and open the transmission. Guess what! Water!!! So since I cannot afford a $3700 transmission I had to file a claim. I had to pay out of pocket 1100.00. If the recall would have been taken care of, the water would not have been able to get inside. GM will not help me because it's the previous owner's fault for not handling it. The recall never showed on the vin because it was expired. I would have never purchased this vehicle. Nor will I buy GM again. Buyers beware. They will not assist you even if it's a recall that was not taken care of from a prior owner.

I bought a 2011 Tahoe Hybrid brand new and I was very happy with it, I took excellent care and I did all the maintenance in Global Auto Mall in New Jersey, until November 2015 and with 136000 miles the engine light come up. I took it to the dealer and they replace a rusted bracket underneath the motor. I paid $900+ to fix it. I drove back home and the light come up again, dealer change a sensor. I got my Tahoe on Friday, Monday the car was back on the dealer with the engine light on, this time the dealer say I need a new motor $10,700 to fix, the car is still in the dealer and nobody could explain why this happen other than bad quality. I hate to say this but it is my very first experience buying a domestic car and it will be the last one. I still owe $20,000 to the bank for this car I can't use.

On May 28, 2015 I leased a 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe from Enterprise Car Rental. Felt there could possibly be something different or wrong when first started driving it and my passenger seemed to feel it also. When you accelerated seemed like it wanted to lift up and start flying... Anyway you felt a certain lift in the vehicle. I made this comment to my passenger several times because of the strange feeling.

May 29th, I went to gas station close to home to replenish the fuel before returning to Enterprise Car Rental. When starting the Tahoe and putting it in gear it just literally jumped forward, a throttle like surge, and accelerated moving forward, accelerating faster and faster. At the same time had NO brakes at all to slow the vehicle. This all happened within about 50 feet of a railing boundary at end of lot. There was a lake on other side of railing, in trying to turn to avoid hitting railing or going into lake turned vehicle as hard as I could at the speed it was going. Tahoe jumped the railing, sliding down the railing into main electrical pole, activating the air-bags... Probably saving our lives or seriously hurting or killing someone else.

The insurance inspectors came back from their inspection with finding nothing wrong with Tahoe. I had a nationally known cattle business headquartered in Illinois for thirty-six years with cattle in Wyoming and South Dakota, traveling a lot back and forth there and to my customers and have had a very good driving record. The State Police were present at the accident scene and agreed something strange had to happen for this situation to present itself. Of course, went on my record and raised my insurance rate! if anyone inspected where this happened, the small area, they would agree there was something wrong with this Tahoe. And if anyone would think I was somewhat incapacitated... I have never had a beer, cigarette, or even a cup of coffee. Scariest moment of my life!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

I have a 2003 and 2004 Tahoe. The brakes lines failed on both, in the same month. On one an accident was avoided by driving into an embankment. The other failed while pulling a trailer. I used the trailer drag and a field to stop the vehicle. Both were catastrophic brake system failures. Apparently, these brake lines were designed with non-weather protected steel which corrodes in non-visible crevices. And no dashboard light to warn of failure. The failure in both instances was complete, instantaneous and dire. We have 6 Chevy vehicles. Am disappointed in Chevy. This problem has been known to exist. Apparently Chevy exec bonuses are more important than my wife's life.

Brakes failed due to rusted brake line, almost caused major possible fatal crash. When will GM be responsible and recall this problem? What government agency can assist in having GM be accountable for replacement costs?

My 2007 Tahoe dash started cracking in 2010. GM knew about the problem in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and GM continued to install the same defective part.

So what is the answer to the question? They don't CARE.

We bought a 2011 Chevy Tahoe in Dec. 2012 in Glenwood Springs, CO. We drove it all the way back to Florida with no problems. The Tahoe was like brand new when we purchased it and still is. We take very good care of our vehicles. The Tahoe has been garaged and kept out of the sun, even at work. Just recently noticed the crack in the dashboard. Very disappointing. Decided to go online and see what consumers had to say and even more disappointing is the fact that this seems to be a problem with the Chevy Tahoe since 2007 to the present.

Why hasn't Chevy offered to fix this problem? It is obvious that this is a defect in their product and they should be responsible for the repair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We did buy an extended warranty on the vehicle since it was used and we intend to keep the vehicle for a long time. It's actually the second new vehicle my husband and I have purchased in the 36 years we have been married. Any help would be appreciated.

I own three Chevy vehicles a '07 Tahoe, '08 Sierra, and '11 Sierra. All three have this same problem with the dashes cracking around the airbag and over the instrument cluster. The cracks over instrument cluster are the worst because they keep getting larger as time goes on. This is definitely a major problem that GM needs to address. I have always been a Chevy man but starting to think otherwise.

2010 Tahoe Cracked Dashboard - Dashboard starting cracking around 30-40k miles and GM refuses to cover. It is obviously a common problem and unbelievable that they will not stand behind their product. I encourage everyone to file a complaint directly with GM to increase the odds of them covering the $1000 repair under a recall. I started the process online and it took almost three weeks for them to tell me they couldn't do anything. If you want to file a complaint directly about your broken dash, call 866 790 5700 x**.

2010 Tahoe white smoke. I have had this issue go on many occasion ever since I got my car, actually 4 times. I am really considering getting rid of my car. No one seems to know what the problem is. I have been searching about the internet and it seems like it's something that happens to this type of car frequently.

I recently bought a used 2011 Chevy Tahoe with about 55k miles on it. At the time I bought the vehicle, the dashboard was not cracked. Withing about 6 months, I now have a crack over the drive side instrument panel. In researching the issue online, this appears to be a very common problem, yet Chevy has not put in a recall for the issue. These cracked dashboards are obviously not a one off issue.

I was riding a month after I had got it and it started acting up like locks popping up and down, navigation blank on and off, and dvd went off and came back and truck act like it wanted to shut off.

The dash on my 2007 Chevy Tahoe has cracked at the corner of passenger airbag and above instrument cluster, which is a wide spread issue. The City Chevy Dealership of Kansas City, Mo has stated that this was not a safety hazard and will not cover any portion of the repair due to being out of warranty. I contacted GM and they have also, stated they will not cover repair costs. This issue poses safety concerns regarding whether the airbag will be punctured or otherwise ineffective during deployment due to the sharp cracked edges of the dash as well as the potential for shards of cracked dash becoming projectiles causing injury to occupants during a collision. Yet, nothing is being done to rectify the such.

Power doors lock and unlock on its own. Not always from hitting a bump. Lights flicker at the same time. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

We bought our 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 116,000 miles on it and it's been the best vehicle up until about six months ago. Other than the required oil changes every 3000 miles or so I haven't had to replace anything. I've had a dead battery once or twice but that's it. Then six months ago my battery gauge went haywire and quit working. We smelt rubber burning pulled over but couldn't find anything. The battery gauge needle now lays on the opposite side of where it normally would sit or start from. It doesn't work anymore.

Then three months after that I could tell that we were going faster than speedometer read and of course I knew my truck and was right. When the truck shut off the speedometer never fell past ten miles per hour. So we unplugged the cable from under the truck on the side of the transmission and it started working again. I've had to do this about ten times because it messes up every so often. Now my oil gauge float from 40 to 20 to zero and the dash is constantly displaying oil pressure low, sometimes even beeping while going down the road as a warning to shut the engine down. Every time it's had oil in it.

We have replaced the oil sensor sending unit, changed the oil and filter and it is still doing it. Had O'Reilly's put the machine on it to see which codes it was throwing and the only code was for a knock sensor. The truck has been running bad using way too much gas getting poor gas mileage and sometimes acting as it wants to stall out or cut off but does it the most when I'm idling or sitting in a line with the air running full blast. It's not knocking but you can hear the valves rattling when you come up to a stop sign.

Right now my husband and I are trying to drop the oil pan to clean the screen because someone told us to put Lucas oil treatment and zMax in it at the same time. Well we did and the oil plug was caked with crud since we did. And after this the last thing to do is replace the oil pump with 220,330 miles on it. I hope we find the problem soon. This is our only vehicle and we keep replacing parts only for it to keep doing the same thing!!!

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. We decided to do the oil pump last because the guy at the part store said "you have to mess with the timing and all to get to the oil pump" and neither one of us have did that before. Please help!!! And does anyone have problems with the wiring on their Tahoe. The only other problem I forgot to mention was the front ac only works on five and you can hit a bump and it quits blowing so you have to reach under the dash in the passenger side floor board and wiggle the wires and it starts back blowing again. Please help us!!!

I own an 08 Tahoe, and when I first bought my suv it was ok, and paid for the top extended warranty. I have had this smell like something is burning, or some type of chemical smell, all kinds of lights come on, on the dash, and my car shuts down. It says reducing power and it does, and it scares the crap out of me. I take it in with the dash lights still on. It's been tow/driven into the dealer, 6 times. They charged me a couple times, and said it was fix. Well after a couple of months, it does it again. I’m sooo scared that I'm going to get in a accident, what to do?

2008 Tahoe - I also had the same problem with my dashboard - cracked above the steering wheel and the passenger side, and I also kept my car in garage. Very disappointed!! It had cracked after 2 yrs after I bought it. Same problem as others - its caving in. They should stand behind their vehicles.

2010 Tahoe with 19,450 miles on it. We are the original owners and we just got a crack in the dash. Our Tahoe is in mint condition, never mistreated. Our 1980ish F-150 truck has 150,000 miles is a construction truck that had been mistreated, does NOT have a crack in its dash.

Engine light frequently comes on. Always took it to the Dealer and cost me $100's to $1000's of dollars. Went to a local mechanic and he could not figure out all the different codes so he deleted them took the car home and ran fine. Gave it back to me for a $90 charge. That lasted over a month and engine light came on again so I went to the auto parts store, had them check the codes and delete them $0. Tahoe runs great again. Looks like I need to invest in a diagnostic tool and save a lot of money. Owning a car should not be this way.

The media player controller will not allow the iPod to stay on shuffle after the vehicle is powered down. Each time, the end user has to go through three on-screen steps to get it on shuffle. I have had this into the dealer many times and complained. I've had a 2010 Equinox and a 2013 Cad SRX that both worked properly and now they changed it for 2015. WHY? All this would take is a software change to keep it in last position. Easy to do and can do through OnStar! Come on GM - you want good loyal customers, FIX THIS!!!!!!

2010 Chevy Tahoe - I have complained to my local dealership about the premature cracking of my dash and discovered that I was not the only customer with a similar problem. I was simply informed that there was nothing they could do and directed to contact the manufacturer. I do so and they also dismissed my concerns as nothing more than wear and tear. I now see a pattern in the design or product that have resulted in thousands of complaints about the same issue. I am monitoring for what I believe to a recall item and hope GM resolve this issue sooner rather than later.

FIRST OFF, LET'S GET THIS STRAIGHT. If you buy a used car do your research people, ok. Don't rate a car one star just because you don't know how to overlook a rusted brake line, cracked dash, or other defects that is not Chevys fault. It’s the owners fault. Also you keep a car in SUNLIGHT EVERY DAY. It’s gonna crack dummy.

My first car was a 1995, Chevy Tahoe and I drove it hard and fast. It was the LS and it plowed through the snow like butter. My second was a 1999 Tahoe and that one was always just as dependable. I sold it to my father and now I have a 2008 and LOVING IT. Does great on the highway. It’s sporty looking and just recently yesterday drove it in a snow blizzard to test the 4x4. It passed in flying colors.

I took it to a mechanic to get a check up and the guy was like, “Oh, tahoes, they are great trucks!” He even had a guy bring one in that had 400,000 miles on the motor. Just recently watched a video of a denali supercharged hen which is pretty much a gmc tahoe deluxe. It raced a hellcat and beat it off the line. These are great trucks. Dependable and STRONG. I will always own a tahoe.

I purchased a 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe new from the dealer and now have almost 91K miles on the car. It has been a pretty good car and I had considered buying another one in the near future; however, I am pretty disappointed with the quality of the entire dash in my car. Shortly after purchasing the car, the buttons on my climate control started to peel off as well as the coating (vinyl? plastic?) on my steering wheel near both the cruise control and volume controls. I had just had a baby and sitting inside a dealership with a newborn sounded like my worst nightmare, so I never addressed the problem. It has only gotten worse (which admittedly is partly my fault since it was likely under warranty when it first began).

Also, one of the covers to the power adapters on my dash just completely broke off - neither of which are used often. Then, just recently, I noticed two cracks on my dash. One is just above the instrument panel on the driver’s side and is more of like a hairline crack working its way up the cover of the instrument panel. The other is more concerning as it is located at the top left corner of the airbag compartment and is a solid 1-2 inch crack.

I have found forums with several people complaining of this (the dash cracks), yet GM has no open recalls for this and are pretty unwilling to help anyone. I just find it very disappointing that for people who pay well over $40K for a car, that anything like this should happen. It honestly makes me contemplate not buying another one given the lack of quality in the finishes. I love my Tahoe but wish GM would address this matter.

My 2009 Tahoe Hybrid has been acting up again. Sometimes when stopped, it will try and stall out when going again. So I let off the gas, give it a few seconds then slowly use gas. Today it was off I went to start it and it made a very loud engine-like noise and rpm went up to 3000-4000 so I shut it off right away! Months ago it did the stalling out and engine light on but was good for months. Yesterday and today it acted up again and engine light on then this evening it did the weird high rev climbing till I turned it off. Can anyone help with ideas? Any ideas? Is it the cheap USA Costco gas I'm using again and not Chevron or my transmission?

I have a 2010 Chevy Tahoe kept in mint condition, one day I noticed a crack in the dashboard by passenger side air bag and another over the instrument cluster. So I call the dealership, they basically blew me off, and said that was wear and tear. I told the service manager "take a look online, there are hundreds if not thousands of people with the same issue, PRODUCT DEFECT." So I took it up a notch and called GM who assigned me a senior advisor and said they would help. After 2 weeks they get back to me and tell me they can't and won't do anything for me, even though I have an extended warranty - 7 year 70,000 mile warranty and only have 52,000 miles on it, but apologized since I am a loyal GM owner (soon to change). So for a 400.00 part they lose a lifelong GM customer, so how the math doesn't add up.

Brakes for 2003 Tahoe - Late 2014, my brakes went out and I almost slammed into the car in front of me. This happened with my family in the truck. I took my Tahoe to a local mechanic and they had to order new brake lines (the whole set) from the local dealer (I didn't want to pay the dealer price to fix the truck). It cost me over $600.00 to fix and I've looked online for a recall to this obvious problem with no results. My main question is: If there wasn't a problem with the brake line to begin with (according to GM) why are they now different? The new lines that are installed on my Tahoe are coated with black plastic. I'd like GM to pay me back for their substandard parts that were installed when my vehicle was new. I'll wait for 2015 and keep an eye on recalls but if I can't get reimbursed I'll never buy GM anything again.

First I purchased this truck brand new and have over 112K miles on it. My dash has no cracks. I can see and no mechanical problems that were not addressed during the warranty period i.e. power steering leak, driver side passenger auto lock. With respect to the well-known auto lock actuator, save yourself over $300 by buying the actuator motor online i.e. $30. It’s about the size of a silver dollar and install it yourself. From what I learned the actuator motor is a poorly made Chinese part? The replacement is made here and with a little effort you can rid yourself of this flawed part...

This vehicle is fully loaded with every gadget they offered at that time. I owned two Suburbans and one Tahoe in that order when we were raising our kids. This Tahoe is absolutely one of the finest made vehicles I have ever owned. I have a BMW which is just as reliable and always had Volvo's in the garage. Don't think for minute I spew money. These vehicles I maintained and continue to do so with this Tahoe. I will buy another Tahoe and just as with this one will follow the maintenance schedule and pay attention to any sound that might indicate an issue. Too many rely on indicator lights to foretell an issue... I store my vehicles in the garage. Great American craftsmanship - keep up the excellent work Chevy! Thanks.

We recently took our truck into the GMC (local) repair shop. Our 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid has been cutting off in traffic! My wife was driving it to work last week and it completely powered down 3 times in the middle of heavy traffic and intersections! She called me screaming and crying, stating that the car shut down on her and she almost got hit twice by people behind her! We took the car in about 3 weeks ago for the brakes. I noticed a noise that the brakes were making so we ended up needing new rotors, pads, and coincidentally, "oxygen sensors."

About 3 days after that repair, the car cut off 2 times (in traffic). We immediately took the car back to the dealer. They admitted that it cut off on them when they test drive it, but that when they let it run for a few hours (sitting), that it didn't repeat the fault again. They called my wife and said the car is fine. Weird. Then, we had the same issue again (that I described above) with the car powering down. We had a Yukon Denali before the Tahoe and we LOVED IT. We never had any issues with it. I researched the issue and a few people said it could be the fuel pump, the PCM chip, etc.

I'm curious as to why the certified techs can't figure out why my wife's car has turned into a death trap! Literally! Imagine driving on the Interstate and your car completely shuts down, when a semi-truck is behind you. SCARY! I hope they fix it. We love GM but this may be the last go-around with their product.