4.0/5 (266 ratings)

About Garmin

Garmin Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Garmin?

Original review: May 13, 2019

I purchased a Garmin City Navigator map from a reputable retailer. I did not purchase it from Garmin or from a fly by night gray market company. I put it in my Garmin Nuvi and went to setting like I always do to check the box beside the map to activate it and the map from the micro SD slot was not there. To check my device I put another micro SD map in and it showed up so the 1st Garmin City Navigator map was clearly defective.

I phoned Garmin and they would not stand behind their map product because it was not purchased from them. REALLY!!! As I purchased it early in the fall for a spring Europe trip, and the defect was not discovered until months later. I phoned Garmin and not the store. Warranty is the manufacturer's issue and not the store's. Anyhow Garmin would not replace the product nor give a credit in case one is stupid enough to buy another Garmin Product. GARMIN NEEDS TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS no matter who sells them.

Original review: April 29, 2019

This company pisses me off day after day. I have had better assistance with my phone's Google Maps than using a $150 Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S device designed for navigation. The Garmin would take me on the WORST possible routes, and now I have an error message preventing me from being able to use it. Trying to get assistance is impossible, and the CHAT representative responded to my question with cancelling the CHAT and now I have to seek alternative methods to get my GARMIN to just operate normally again. ** this company's terrible products - reminds me of Apple...

Original review: April 14, 2019

The Garmin I purchased in December for Florida takes you in the wrong direction. It tell you to go left. My phone will say right. Phone is more accurate. Waste of money buying this product. Could not use it at all.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I just purchased a Fenix 5x as an upgrade of my previous Garmin 235 Forerunner. Everything was working fine with the watch and I was satisfied with my purchase then the Audio Prompts stop working. Each time I called customer service I am getting a different response as to why it isnt working. I feel cheated.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I received my Garmin DriveSmart today, so I went online to update the maps for the first time. I had a chat session and was told a tech rep would call me. About a minute later, I received a call from the Garmin tech rep, Dave **. (I thought the name was strange, since he spoke with an Indian accent.) After following instructions, Dave told me to disconnect the DriveSmart from the computer. He said he need to make changes to my computer because some file were incompatible with the DriveSmart system. He said making the changes would cost $61. I said charging me $62 without warning me of that possibility when I purchased the DriveSmart was under-handed, unethical and immoral and refused to pay. I said I would return the DriveSmart and would expect a full refund. He said I would receive a return authorization via email. So far, no return authorization. So beware of hidden costs.

Original review: March 12, 2019

After just over one year of use, my Garmin decides to stop working. Like others, I went through to Garmin Express program only to be faced with the "we're unable to add this device because our servers are unavailable at this time" message. I tried to resolve the problem using their chat support system and was told that the problem had something to do with my firewall. Unfortunately, all I am left with is a device that only shows freeways. The navigation system is gone, the detailed roads and landmarks are gone. As far as I know, my options are either to buy another Garmin navigation system that may only last a year or to find something entirely different to use. If anyone wants to try to contact Garmin on my behalf, the serial number on this device is ** and I purchased it at a Best Buy in Mission Valley (San Diego, CA). Jeremiah

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

If I could give them zero stars I would. I bought the Garmin Vivosmart 3 at the beginning of January 2018 because I wanted something that I could swim in. The device broke after 6 months, exposing the inner workings. Getting a replacement was of extremely difficult process requiring me to show proof of purchase and a serial number which is recorded in the Garmin connect app.

After months of working through this process I was finally shipped a replacement device, however the device was refurbished. The original device held a charge for approximately 3 days. The replacement device would not hold a charge for a single day. At that point I determined it was not worth it and bought the Fitbit Versa. I have used Fitbit for years and their customer service is always excellent. I will never use Garmin again and I would not recommend their products to anyone. I basically wasted a couple hundred dollars.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Bought an EDGE 810 bike computer 3 years ago. Great help getting it set up and downloading courses. Recently had the ANT+ channel fail. Called GARMIN support. Four (4) days later, I have in my hands a refurbished unit, and their support in reconfiguring, synchronizing my sensors and custom courses. Wish the companies from my other products (Apple for example), had this level of support.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased a Garmin GPS that came with lifetime map updates. I attempted to update the device this morning and was told I would have to pay for any updates, and that my device did not come with free lifetime updates. I informed the customer service rep (Linda) that I have managed to update my device several times in the past, but that I was not able to do so today. She told me that I must be mistaken, that I could have never updated this device for free, but that she could sell me updates for $70 plus dollars. I will never, ever buy anything with the name Garmin on it!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have had a Garmin for at least 110 years. I got my second one about a year and a half ago. I had a problem with the newer unit. The socket piece for the ball & socket joint of the windshield mount broke and didn't hold the unit securely. I expected to have to buy a new one, and searched the Garmin website. I couldn't find it, so I started a chat session. The tech asked me for the serial number of my unit, and told me where to look for it. I gave it to him and he said that they would send a new one, FREE. I got it in about a week. It was exactly what I needed. I would say that it pays to register your device.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I’ve been using Garmin bike and watches for numerous years now and started using them for a good reason; they were innovative, reliable and consistent. Unfortunately, over the last five years I’ve spent hundred of pounds on Garmin products that have been very poor in reliability and consistency. I’m not alone, a lot of friends have said the same, which is a shame because they used to be so good - even though their customer service is consistently poor. Still innovative but what is the point if the product itself doesn’t work or fails consistently?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

When purchased I was told free lifetime updates. In the past I used Garmin Express to update with no issues. Wouldn't work this time. Called and all I got after 30 minutes of unintelligible conversation was that they refused to update my maps without purchasing some software. The BBB should be notified of this false or at least misleading advertising. A true case of bait and switch coupled with false advertising. When I called for assistance, the tech took over my computer remotely without any agreement by me. If they say lifetime free map updates then you should get lifetime free updates. I would never recommend or purchase another Garmin device of any kind!! And I am also going to file a BBB complaint.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Worst customer service ever. Guess I'm not alone with them trying to scam me. Blamed it on my computer when I'm behind a very tight firewall. Wanted to charge me and have me pay with Google Play cards. All I wanted was my upgraded maps which was supposed to be included with the unit. They should be in jail.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

This Satnav, even when updated with latest maps and with settings corrected, will not work in Ireland. The Satnav constantly chooses the shortest route and takes the driver off main roads onto lesser roads and even dangerous dirt tracks. Have had no helpful advice from Garmin and have resorted to online route planners such as Google maps which never fail to work and keep you safe unlike Garmin.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I ordered the Quickfit 22 watchband Slate Gray Stainless Steel. The item came without the ability to adjust with band. I tried my best and contact customer support with unsatisfactory results. I contact Tom employee number ** and he was not help at all.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I owned 4 GPS, all Garmins as of now. The processor are incredibly slow, Garmin won't list the processor speed on any of their models. When you make a turn the graphics are lagging beyond, calculations are extremely slow. If you pass the address accidentally Garmin don't do street U turns rather takes you around a whole block to bring you back. Many times it will given me the long routs even if you have a lot shorter option. Even as Garmin claim it not any of my GPS ever remembered the roads I take. I have to override the suggested plan. I have turned off the voice guide altogether. It is very very annoying. Just like a Papagayo. keep on repeating where to turn twice in the row, and once minutes before. If you miss spell the word/address there is no suggestions something close to your spelling.

I have to Google for it. Need a direct shortcut button otherwise at times you need to push the back button 4 times before you can get back to the map. The turn arrow can be quiet confusing at times actually when streets are close to each other or on the freeway with a 4 way intersection. Maybe if I use the voice navigator would be better not sure. The first Garmin I had was in 2007. I am a professional in the service business so I use it all the time. I would love to dump it but I can't anything better... SAD! Garmin will meet the same faith like Blackberry... in a few years. Sorry to say it. I rated a 3 star because it works even with many shortcoming. Finally... Do NOT use the onboard traffic report. You will be sorry.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Bought a Garmin 2559 in Summer of 2017 for its European maps. Worked fine. Planned to use it again in 2018 but it died completely a few days before departure. Replaced it quickly with a Drive 50LMT, as I was leaving for rural France in a few days and needed a GPS. Thought that the "lifetime maps", which Garmin promotes with its products, meant I could add my European maps from the 2559 (which was very expensive because of all the maps in it) to my new device. Nope. "Lifetime" = lifetime of the device. New device = buy same maps purchased a year ago... again. $139 CAD for Europe. Expect adventures with those "updated" maps.

In Europe, I ended up in a field that Garmin was indicating as a road. Elsewhere I was directed to make a left turn onto a highway through a FENCE. (The road was actually a dead end and had clearly been so for a very long time). The "updated" (several days before travel) maps were out of date or flat out wrong. Speed limits were wrong. France widely announced (well ahead of July 1, 2018) that 90 kph roads were being universally reduced to 80 kph but the Garmin still had them at 90 kph in an "update" uploaded a few days before the national speed reductions. Garmin Drive 50LMT was completely unable to find any street addresses. Only towns. From there, I had to use my phone. (I highly recommend Navmii. It's a free app & doesn't need data use. You can use it with your phone in airplane mode.)

The window-mount suction cup constantly dislodged WHILE driving, which was extremely dangerous and terrifying in the middle of complex roundabouts in the heavy traffic of bigger cities. It came off 23 times in one day. Got home and contacted Garmin. First they wanted to know specifically where the map errors were. (I sent them photos of the fence blocking the road etc). Excuse me, *I* don't work for Garmin, doing field research for the team. I was busy trying to figure out how to get where I needed to be from a field full of hay bales, and didn't think to take location coordinates to pass on to Garmin later.

Customer service suggested that I should have updated my maps again a week or so later - while travelling in rural France with limited wifi -because I should have magically known that yet another map update became available after I arrived in France. Yeah, ok I can see how that was completely my fault, Garmin. Then customer service told me that it's all my fault that the street addresses couldn't be found by the device, because I didn't look up addresses the "right way" (apparently). Just as I did successfully with my previous Garmin GPS, I'd typed the address into the search window (with the magnifying glass icon and keyboard to spell it out) expecting to have the Garmin search for it. Customer service tells me that's not how one is supposed to search for specific addresses. I can't imagine why I thought it was.

Garmin has gotten their last money from me. In future, I'll use my phone with the free Navmii app, which had no trouble finding anything. The Navmii maps are completely accurate and up to date. If Garmin can be outdone by a free smartphone app that doesn't require using cell phone data, and when Garmin customer service takes a "blame the customer" approach to it's overpriced, poor-quality product, company longevity is not in the cards.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My Nuvi 760 failed because of a defective battery which was recalled. Garmin confirmed the recall and sent me a replacement unit since the Nuvi was no longer manufactured. The original cost was approx $800. They sent me a refurbished replacement with half the 760 functionality and is probably the lowest, low end unit they make. Shame on you Garmin! This is no way to abuse your customers!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

When trying to update my Garmin maps the site I went on said something wasn't right on my Garmin and it got me on chat... which then led to a caller (from India) and he was going to help me. I've had that experience before where someone is going to help but ends up charging me after running through a lot of my computer. I'm very cautious as why are there so many Garmin sites to choose from for help. Are we being scammed? All I want is to update my maps!

Original review: July 31, 2018

WORST EXPERIENCE. GARMIN DOES NOT STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCTS. Bought the device 2 years ago, signed up for a plan, used it in the woods and it was just okay. Intermittent text access was better than none. Heading out to a new adventure a few weeks ago and signed up to a new premium "freedom" plan (very expensive -- $25 annual fee and $65/month). I follow the instructions and receive the "activation confirmation" screen on the device. I repeated the process twice and both times received confirmation of activation. Good to go, right? Wrong. I get out on the trail, and nothing works. NOTHING. Zero email, zero text messaging, zero. And it was almost a disaster because we have a medical emergency requiring helicopter extraction, and luckily we have a backup Satellite Phone to use. The Garmin was USELESS.

Come back and call customer support. They send me to tech support to figure out why it wasn't working. It takes them an hour to discover the problem -- there was apparently a firmware update that needed to be installed, which of course the device said nothing about. Then he tells me that he wants to walk me through synching the device to computer, but acknowledges that he has no idea why it isn't working as we try over the course of the next 30 minutes. Exasperated, the Tech suggests I get a new device (!) but then he learns that I won't have another trip for another year, so tells me to go back to customer support to just get a refund of the $25 annual fee and the $65 monthly fee. It's like $95 including taxes. Then I can maybe send in the device to see if they can figure it out in the meantime. So it's annoying and a waste of too much time, but I agree to the plan.

Then I get back to customer service to tell them the plan and get my refund. (I tell him that's the least they can do, since I had really needed to have text communication in the woods and didn't have it. (Thank God we had the Sat Phone.) Now for the fun part: Garmin Customer Support says that they WON'T ISSUE A REFUND! Even though the device worked NOT AT ALL for the entire trip. Why? They said I should have taken the initiative to visit the website to see if a firmware update was needed before using it again! Isn't that the kind of update that you would think they would push to a device, rather than rely on users to constantly check a firmware website???? Or maybe send an email to us about, so we would have a fair chance to get the apparently critical update? And what would it have cost Garmin to apologize for my inconvenience and simply give me a refund -- a lousy $95!

I have tons of Garmin gear -- watches, monitors, navigation devices -- and they have totally alienated this customer for life. What a shame. I escalated this to more senior people in Garmin Customer Support -- same response: "device was within functioning parameters and needed to be updated. Service is non-refundable at time of activation." -- Anthony **, Billing Rep I, Garmin International, Phone: (800) 511-2459

I'm sure there are smart and capable people at Garmin who can understand how absurd this situation is, but that intelligence has not made it to their customer support team, which is their customer-facing group. This kind of thing is toxic with consumers. Sell them something that doesn't work, and then blame the frustrated customer for the failure, saying it was caused by not doing something they were never told to do (search firmware updates). Well done, Garmin. I hope you have a lot of other customers who don't care about customer service. I, for one, will never buy another one of your products.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Command microphone cord on VHF200 completely falling apart despite having a cover and large T-top on my 2014 boat. Company tries to make more money by telling me to send them the defective cord AND $70 to "repair it". Obviously they got some crappy cord coating from China. So, they screw you when you buy it and then again when it goes bad. The man I spoke to, Lee, was like speaking to a wall. He could care less even though my work boats and personal boat are loaded with Garmin products. They just lost a customer and a lot of that customer's friends and associates too.

Original review: June 16, 2018

When I tried to update my maps for my Garmin Nuvi, using Garmin Express, I encountered a "fatal error." After trying several times I contacted the suggested tech department. Someone said the problem was with my computer, and she needed to control my computer to find out what it was. She said the problem was unauthorized people using my network, a problem that she couldn't handle but would put me in contact with someone who could. The second person also used my computer remotely to find that problem and said I would need to use BoostSpeed from Auslogics to correct the problem. That would be a $199.99 program for one year of coverage and up to $500 for longer term coverage.

I opted for the $199.99, and he was able to install and use the program to fix whatever issue was blocking the update on the Nuvi. For method of payment I needed to write a check and email a scanned copy. I was anxious to get all this done as I was ready to leave on a road trip. After coming back I did a thorough check and discovered the software could be purchased for about $65 from Auslogics, and I am concerned about what this "tech" person might have done to my computer or my data. I think this was a scam and feel badly that I ignored several red flags in the process.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We bought 2 Garmin Nuvi 2757LM units, when we went to use them they needed a 6 gig upgrade for the North American maps 12 gigs total which cost about $60.00, about one year later another costly upgrade for the new & improved maps, we went to the Apple Store and they agreed to upgrade both units using their wifi. Now with the new & improved upgrade the units can’t find anything anywhere, typed in a Range Road address 15 Kim’s east of Edmonton AB eg. 55308 RR 213 and the unit says “no address found”. We travel to location add the unit immediately displays the address once we find already found it, this has happened to us all over Alberta and in British Columbia.

As far as we are concerned these units are nothing but a money grab??? And are very unreliable even in well traveled urban areas, I will not go into the grief they have caused us in the bush while fishing and gold panning, our best advice is to buy a up to date paper map for $3.00 or use your cell phone if you can get service, the paper map is your best & most reliable reference. Garmin is garbage???

Original review: April 26, 2018

They love to auto renew your account even if you've been completely inactive for over a year. I requested a refund a day after the auto-payment but they showed zero sympathy. They quickly asked to make the payment or else there will be late fees or credit collections. Make sure you click off the auto-renew box before you get started if you know you won't use the service frequently. I know this wasn't a big issue, nor a terrible financial loss, but it says something about how the business is run when they're not quick to understand the customer's situation.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

What customer support, there isn't any. I purchased an RV 760 LM and later wanted to add a traffic receiver to the unit. I ordered the receiver recommended on their website (GPM 60 HD). When it arrived it had the wrong connector on the GPS side. The receiver cable has a USB mini connector and my GPS unit has a USB micro connector. So far I've tried to open up a chat connection during business hours twice with nothing but a blank screen (nobody home). I sent an e-mail to their customer support asking what I should do. I received a standard acknowledgment and it said they would reply shortly. That was 3 days ago and I have received nothing. This is absolutely unacceptable for any company to act in this manner. I'm am wondering if a note to the Federal Trade Commission might get their attention.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I loved Garmin when I lived in the States, this is the reason why I have purchased another GPS from this manufacturer. It lasted for 4 years during rough travel, even though I became frustrated when the suction cup attachment broke again and again, no matter how careful you are with it. I love the new non-skid holder that you can put onto the dashboard instead of using the suction cup, and I was very excited to use it in my travels. Unfortunately, I purchased the largest South American map and I can't find anything on it. I have updated the map and it doesn't improve. Main streets in Brazil are impossible to find let alone intersections or addresses. 98.9% of the time I end up using my phone. It was a complete waste of money since I purchased it so I don't have to use my phone.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I shopped in the store, salespeople were courteous and knowledgeable. The selection and the product ranges were enough. I was in and out in less than 30 mins. I looked online first then went to the store. l like that Garmin is easy to use. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. Installation was fast and fairly easy. Packaging was sufficient, and environmentally friendly. Setting it up was easy and sort of fun. But I don't like that price too high: I think it should have been cheaper, and the warranty should be extended. I also did not like the way it sits on the dash because viewing is sometimes obstructed by the sun.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I use Garmin to get to unfamiliar places and it is very clear and gives detailed directions. It is fairly easy to use and understand and I have no major problems with it. I don't use it everyday but I use it when needed. But it is difficult to find alternate routes if there is construction. Garmin should make that easier to access. I have had issues when I come across a closed road and it just keeps trying to direct me across that route. Their customer service was fine though and there was an adequate selection for people with all kinds of different needs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I purchased Garmin from Amazon and it was a very smooth experience. They have wide range of models available to choose from. The online charts made determining differences between models easier. Wide range of stores carried the model I chose. I like that it is reliable, rugged, upgradeable and can be customized. I also like the quality of graphics and it has touchscreen rather than just arrows. It has unlimited traffic reports and the routing options work well. Many relevant points of interest and easy to use search. But I didn't like the integration with mobile phone. The touchscreen responsiveness, battery life and mounting can be improved and the methods and availability of free upgraded maps.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Both the store and website are easy to navigate through. I look online to get an idea of product availability and price but usually I go to the store to make my purchase. The information about the products is clear and easy to understand and the products themselves are durable and long lasting. But I wish there were more knowledgeable people on hand to answer questions! Although the quality of the product is great, they do tend to be a bit pricey. Also, the product selection is good but certain products can only be found online. It would be nice to have more of the product line in stores for people like me who needs to see and touch before I decide to purchase.

Garmin Company Information