2.36/5
Based on 47 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Ford Ranger

The Ford Ranger name has been used on several Ford model lines and was discontinued for a short period until the 2019 model was released. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

62 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I wanted a pick-up and the 1998 Ford Ranger's seat was very comfortable for my injured back. The stereo, heater and air conditioner are still awesome. It had peppy response to test driving up and down winding mountain roads. This truck also came with a tonneau, which I really wanted. It was less than 6 months old when I purchased it and it has been an excellent, cost effective vehicle.

The deluxe tow package allowed me to tow a large trailer containing my household belongings from Arizona to Ohio as if it didn't know it was there. This truck tows anything I have needed to tow like a dream. And the only maintenance issue has been replacing shocks and brake drums once. This after driving round trips to Ohio and West Virginia from Arizona, and working in Ohio traveling to various counties on a monthly basis for a year. However, the regular cab is too small and it does not have very good traction on snow covered roads. When purchasing again I would order the double cab, long bed, and heavy duty rear end.

Original review: June 17, 2018

My Ford Ranger has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Maintenance is easy to take care of and with the mileage on my truck it is still good for long distance driving. I like that it has extended cab. Furthermore, it doesn't have carpet so it's easy to clean. It also does have 4 wheel drive, which is good for where I live. Since my Ford Ranger is considered a full size extended cab, I would think that it would be roomier in the back. And instead of 2 jump seats, I would have preferred a bench seat in back.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

We only had the Ford Ranger a few months and bought it quite used. My husband is the sole driver of it. We had to have the power steering fluid bled and replaced a couch le of week's after buying it from the dealership but it's an old truck and these things should be expected. It's a five speed small truck, it gets good gas mileage and we are still able to use it to haul items in the back for small yard jobs. It came with a matching canopy and we liked that too. While we had a good experience and price, the cruise control lever is broken and it appears easy to bump and break off. I might also wish we had 5 wheel drive on this model.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Ford Ranger Edge 2003 has been reliable transportation and the only problem has been my son has to sit on a jump seat in the back of the cab and he is 6ft 4in and is scrunched back there. But we love the truck. We have a hardcover on the back giving it a pseudo trunk. We picked this vehicle for a work truck for my ex husband but I got it in the divorce and we use it for everyday errands. While we are very satisfied overall, I would have purchased the extended cab but can't afford it.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought a 2008 FORD Ranger 5 years ago. I love my truck. Excellent running condition. Minimal problems with vehicle itself. I have experienced many problems with thieves from other areas due to the fact that they are no longer producing these trucks. I have put over 40,000 miles on my ranger and it is very dependable. I have had small amounts of oil purposely placed in spark plug hole around wire on #2 hole and has worked wire up after 200 miles of driving them caused sudden running hesitating problems. It has happened twice now over the last year. Once I cleaned the plug hole, wire and plug everything runs normal. I have also had vandalism on it and actual "Ford" factory parts removed and replaced with older non Ford parts. My truck was an excellent choice. I have no complaints about Ford motor company and will continue to buy Fords.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Ranger?

Original review: May 15, 2018

My brand new Ford Ranger 2017 xlt has a bad vibration in the drive train since day one. Been back to Adrian Brien Ford so many times I have lost count, I now have 16,300 on clock getting rougher and they keep telling me it’s a software upgrade. It is time they put their laptop away and did some good old fashioned mechanical work because clearly it’s not an upgrade. Very very dissatisfied with their service.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, which I bought in December, has 197000 miles on the OEM, 2.5 ltr, 4 banger engine. Cheap on gas, hauls everything. I've put in it and looks real Nice. No rust at all. Perfect for this old 1 legged Hillbilly. (Note right leg amputated March 2015). No hand controls needed.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Both of my Ford Rangers have been amazingly reliable. I love that my 1997 Ford Ranger XLT (4 cylinder 8 spark plugs) is a 5 speed stick shift and all of the features still work after 20 years. My other 1999 Ford Ranger XLT truck is a 6 cyl.

Original review: March 18, 2018

My Ford Ranger with 48500 km and 15 months old developed a knock in the top end 3km from home at the end of a 6 day trip with work last Monday, sent it on a tow truck Tuesday morning. First question I was asked is what happened, then if I had been off-roading lately as there was water in the air box, something else for them to workout once fixed as the only time it gets wet is when it rains, and finally, "Where do you buy your fuel?" It is now day 5 and still waiting for an answer, Ford keeps asking for more tests to be done by Local dealership (Macarthur Ford). I have waited till the end of each day for a call before I call as it never comes. Where has customer service gone?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

On the weekend the Ranger 'auto' gearbox left me stranded in the middle of nowhere...with less than 50km on the clock this will be the 3rd time back for a major warranty issue. I have lost complete confidence in the vehicle...oh but Ford are making it extremely difficult to 'get a quote to purchase back'. So off to Dept. of Fair Trading...never, ever, ever again will I buy a Ford.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

This looks like a smaller F150 and is not what I thought was coming. I expected something similar to the size and offering of my 2003 Ranger, which fit in my small garage. All the electronic options that are available are nonsense to me. I was hoping for a service type truck with bare essentials. This versioned as offered may have stolen the Ranger name, but it will not steal the Ranger Clientele that has been looking forward to the new Ranger, only to be very very disappointed that Ford has betrayed the loyal Ranger owners who were expecting a RANGER, not a new Urban computer on wheels...overloaded at that.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I have bought 2 XLS Utes, spent over $100,000, and they leak dust into the back like a shocker. Both had canopies fitted by ford and it is unimaginable that there has been no attempt to keep the dust out of the back? Big gaps around the tailgate. Everything gets filthy in the back which could include bags, sleep ware and electronic equipment and it is unacceptable! Very very disappointed that such a logical thing is ignored by Ford. No help from ford dealership in Bendigo or Ford Australia!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Bought my 2011 Ranger 4x4 used in Feb. 2017, had 60,** miles and after only 5 months it needed a transmission. Luckily it had a warranty. After I got it home drove it for about 1 1/2 weeks and it was making a new noise from the rear end. Then today (8-04-2017) while I was out the rear end locked up on me. Got it home and with the help from a friend we looked underneath the vehicle and upon rocking the truck back and forth noticed the rear axle moving up and down. It shouldn't be moving at all. I'm not happy at all with this truck.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Have had my 2016 Ford Ranger for 8 months. After 3 months of purchase from new there have been issues with the engine idling spasmodically. Taco can't settle and jumps around while at idle. I have taken the vehicle back to Ford 5 times now and they still can't seem to find the problem. What are my rights as a consumer?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Ford Ranger 4x2 2.26 XLT 2012 model - Purchased in July 2012. Problem with transmission jerking intermittently while in motion at any speed and vehicle sometimes loses speed. Firm did not contact customer for repairs despite rumors that they are required to replace defective parts.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

Bendigo Ford and Ford Australia appeared at VCAT in Melbourne earlier this month and acknowledged that their Ford Lifetime Guarantee on parts and labour was flawed after a Bendigo Ford customer had to fight for 9 months to resolve an acceptable resolution to his complaint. Ford Motor Company Lifetime Guarantee advertises it covers all Ford vehicles regardless of age or mileage. The guarantee covers failure of Ford parts and also covers the labour if the failure was due to manufacturer parts malfunction on engines, transmissions, power train components, cooling and electrical systems, steering and suspension and factory installed options and dealer accessories. It does not, however, include routine maintenance or parts damaged by accident or abuse, sheet metal, upholstery, paint, bright metal, or trim.

The customer stating; "It appears to me that Ford Australia will try anything to avoid paying out on their customer lifetime guarantee on parts and labour. In my case, Ford Australia claimed that their guarantee becomes null and void if any water condensation is found in the diesel fuel filter system." He said; "It also appears that Ford Australia will purposely distance themselves from any claims and prolong any disputes in an effort to frustrate customers and to force them to eventually give in and pay for the repairs or force customers to face the lengthy and daunting process of filing an application through VCAT." In this customer's particular circumstance, the engine totally failed due to a spring collapsing within the diesel pump in his 3.5 year old Ford Ranger Duel Cab Ute. This shattered spring then sent metal filings into the fuel injectors causing $8000 in damage to the motor.

Ford claimed that the metal filings were caused by water corrosion in the pump, despite this assumption without evidence; Ford was unwilling to have an independent diesel pump specialist diagnose the reason for the fuel pump's failure. The customer said, "It just didn't make sense, mechanics I've spoken to claim that between 60%-90% of all diesel vehicles will have some moisture in the filter." That is why they have filters with taps on them to drain any excess water once the water sensors detect the filter is close to full. If water in the fuel had bi-passed a faulty filter and corroded the pump, then why didn't the water in fuel sensors detect this water and how did the water bi-pass the filter? The customer said "I'd been advised by the technical experts that either the filter was faulty or the pump internals had collapsed causing the damage." Either way, it was faulty parts that caused the damage, not neglect on behalf of the customer.

Eventually, after the customer had made an application to VCAT, Ford Australia agreed to further independent diagnosis of the diesel fuel pump and it was found that there was no evidence of water found in the fuel filter could have caused the $8000 breakdown. Ford Australia finally accepted after a 9 month battle that it was wrong to assume water in the filter was the cause of the $8000 in damage to the vehicle and agreed to pay for the repairs and an undisclosed amount of costs associated with the claim. This case could trigger many more claims from Ford vehicle owners that have had their claims dismissed on the grounds that water was found in the filter and hence apparently making Fords Customer Lifetime guarantee null and void.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

2015 - 2.2 Ford Ranger 105 000 km. Turbo Charger impeller disintegrated resulting in engine damage not covered by warranty. Without even lifting a finger V ** at Barloworld Alberton Ford said the engine need replacing at a cost of R80 000.00. #worstworkshopevery #dontbuyFordRanger

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

We purchased a Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT PX in Sept 2015. One of the reasons we chose this vehicle was for the Navman and towbar. To our dismay, the navman, was over three years out of date with maps (would only recognise the southern expressway as a one-way express road in South Australia). Ford Care stated that when we had our first service they would update the maps for us for free. However, at the first service the Ford dealer told us we had to pay for the update and do this ourselves. We rang Ford Care again and they refused to assist us. Our other disappointment was the towbar. It has a dubious reputation amongst many caravanners as it is not considered strong enough to tow up to 3.5 tonne. We replaced ours.

Original review: July 11, 2016

My husband 2001 Ford Ranger caught fire for no reason at all. The truck is a total loss. He was not inside. He is ok but it was very close to a building. Why is this happening and he was never notified of any recall from Ford. Is there anything we can do to report this problem so it does not happen to others?

Original review: April 11, 2016

I bought my Ranger 4 years ago and have put almost another hundred thousand miles on it. I have the 4 liter V6. Had one fuel injector replaced. Had gear oil changed and transmission immediately started grinding going into second and into 3rd gear and has been doing that for 2 years now. Hydraulic cylinder for clutch has gone out twice and transmission needs to come out for it to be changed - $$$. Had regular gear oil changed to Royal Purple and that did not make shifting any better. Even when care is taken do not mess up the front rotors. They can still only be resurfaced once. At present I have 3 tubes of AlumAseal keeping the radiator leak to a small drip. I drive this truck all over the place following the power company around during wind storms and power outages and this truck has never left me stuck on the side of the road... Yet.

Original review: March 27, 2016

Bought a brand new 2001 Ford Ranger 4X2 "edge" model. I have to say, it was a good truck until it failed to pass inspection because of the holes rusted through the frame near the fuel tank supports. The body of the truck did not have any rust on it except maybe a small surface spot, barely noticeable. Since the truck only had 85,000 miles on it, I would have probably kept it for another 15 years. Some people have said that it rusted because I did not hose the undercarriage off enough, but I did hose the undercarriage off. The fact that the wheel wells and the rest of the truck were unaffected by the rust leads me to believe that cheap steel was used on this frame.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Very unstable, flips very easy, bad uneven braking, extremely poor traction on wet roads that causes skidding and spin puts. And very poorly made and quality. Almost killed me today. Had to drive it as a company vehicle because it was the only job available for me. But I will never own one myself ever.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

I have a well maintained 2008 Ford 4.0 six Ranger with 63K miles. At about 56 K miles (while still in warranty) the transmission would slip out of gear while driving or starting up. This would only happen about once every 4 months or so. I took the truck to the dealer and they claimed (and I believe them) that they could not get the problem to occur so they could diagnose it. A day ago, (truck now out of warranty) the coolant hose for the transmission had a catastrophic failure and fried the transmission. Ironically this happened as I was driving past the dealer where I bought the truck and I was able to cost right up to the service entrance trailing transmission fluid. I am not happy. The quote for a new transmission was $3800.

Original review: July 20, 2015

Wrong part number was recommended by the manufacturer, causing the piston to hit the spark plug and ejecting the spark plug which did destroy the c.o.p. as well.

Original review: July 10, 2015

In the past two weeks at a stop sign, truck bounced forward and tapped bumper of lead car twice. With no warning ABS light comes on, within two miles I take into truck stop maintenance. He tells me its the ABS module and needs two sensors. I asked if it could be tire rod ends or bearings. He told me that my truck was safe to continue my trip to Florida and to fix when I got home. Well, one state and 100 miles away, hub/wheel gives and lets go. Thank God it didn't kill anyone on 95 but my wheel is now home to a gator in a Georgia swamp... and I'm left with U-Hauling my truck 800 miles home.

Original review: May 20, 2015

I have owned 7 Rangers all 4x4 except this one - a 2010 xl 2wd reg cab auto 2.3. I have 115k. It's my work truck. I clean it regularly - have all service work myself except 1 set tires and brakes done at Firestone. I drive Las Vegas to L A and put min 100 mile a day in my business. I run crap out of it at times and have 0 complaints - a little wind noise on freeway that's it. Most all new trucks have triple seal doors it helps. All my 4x4 I loved used off road those I hated Goodyear tires sucked in wet weather. Looking forward hear 2016-17 Ranger will be back in USA probably f100. Can't wait. My 07 Tacoma 4x4 couldn't wait to get rid of. Transmission almost got me killed. Toyota found it's within tolerance. Keep that map crap plus drains USA economy.

Original review: March 23, 2015

I was driving home and just as I was turning the corner I heard a snap, then I was losing power. I tried to give my truck gas and it wouldn't go, I felt my accelerator pedal go to the floor. Thank God I wasn't on the freeway that I just got off from. I have never heard of a gas pedal breaking, but mine did! It is old in years (2003) but I only have 78,000 miles on it and to make matters worse, I need my rear main seal repaired again after only putting 5K miles on it after it was repaired the first time.

Original review: March 2, 2015

I own a 1996 Ford Ranger with over 330,000 miles. Still in excellent condition, idled rough, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and new filters and plugs and it ran like a champ. However, under carriage rust is awful.. There is only a tiny spot above the passenger side rear wheel well. But, underneath, there was a massive hole through the floor on the driver side, and a small hole in the floor on the passenger side. I wish there was a little bit more space, but I didn't expect much because it's only a standard cab. I wouldn't recommend the standard cab with a small truck like the Ranger, I would recommend the extended cab. But I can't complain as it's only my second vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

I had a 2003 Ford Ranger 4X2 all stock with 78000 miles, the left rear axle broke off outboard of the wheel bearing at 70 MPH on the freeway. The truck rolled to the right at least 3 times, went back up on three, wheels hit the center divider, air bags went off and stopped just like if I had pulled over and stopped. I was lucky light traffic did not hit anyone. The axle looked like it was sawed off. I still own a 1987 Ranger - no problems.

This was an unreal feeling, you never want this to happen in any car. You have no control, just along for the ride. If I had an early 2000-2010 Ranger, I would replace the rear axles with race axles first day of ownership. Ford did not want to see pictures or want to know about it. They asked me if I had a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

On Dec.13 2014 my son was driving his 2002 Ford Ranger XL in Durango CO when the vehicle in front of him slammed on their brakes due to a pedestrian, causing my son to rear end the car in front of him. Saying the airbags deployed is not really accurate, actually they blew up and caught fire!! His steering wheel literally blew up causing extensive damage to the control panel and all dials/switches. The starter went out and the truck would not start. Our insurance company has deemed it totaled. Obviously these airbags were defective!! He and his passenger were moderately injured. We purchased this truck second hand from Albuquerque NM. What are our recourses? Was there a recall for this vehicle concerning this issue that we were never notified of?

Ford Ranger Company Information