4.0/5 (270 ratings)
Shop Now on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Ford Ranger

The Ford Ranger name has been used on several Ford model lines and was discontinued for a short period until the 2019 model was released. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Ford Ranger Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Ranger?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Ranger?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2013

I own a Ford Ranger XLT 2012 4x4. The UTE's back end leans to the left, looks like the vehicle had a stroke and his body is hanging. Went to a Ford dealership who told me the height difference between left and right side is within tolerance and gave me a manufacturer's printout of the spec. It can maximum be out by 15mm but in my case is out about 30mm. Do somebody has the same issue with their rangers?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2013

Brake lines, rearend housing cover, gas tank straps, rear spring hangers, frame not looking good, every thing under the truck is rusting away! Not a spot of rust on the body work, looks like a new truck, but do not look under the truck, you might get rust in your eye! I know for sure Ford recalled the F-150 for gas tank straps, why not the Ranger!?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2013

I bought a 2010 Ford Ranger truck. After about 30,000 km. of operation, I had to replace all 4 glow plugs. After 50,000 km. of operation, I had to replace the cylinder head due to a crack. The dealer claimed that the vehicle was out of warranty. Today, I took the vehicle to recheck the valves. I was told that I needed to change all four injectors. This is not what you expect after you expend yourself to purchase a new vehicle.

Original review: July 26, 2012

We ordered a new Ranger XLT SuperCab on November 28, 2011. We have been promised delivery for February 2012, then May 2012, and now there is no delivery date! We have been given a "build number", but there is no guarantee that Ford will build the vehicle for us this year! We are not the only people in this situation. There are many country buyers that have been totally ignored by Ford Australia.

Original review: March 14, 2012

My XLT Ford Ranger is a headache (piece of junk). After I drove out from McEnearney in December 2010, I could not believe what was happening. My brand new vehicle (less than an hour old) was actually dancing on the road. Without turning the steering wheel the vehicle would move to the other side of the road. I got so frightened that I immediately called the salesman and complained but to no avail.

I can't afford another vehicle because I paid $219,000 for the Ford Ranger. My life is at risk when I drive that vehicle. There is a loud screech that never goes away, although I changed belts, brakes, etc. When the automatic transmission changes gears there is a loud bang as the new gear engages (heavens help me please). The crosses don't last; they have to be continually replaced. The list will not end if I were to state all the problems. Somebody has to do something about the very poor quality of this vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2012

The gas strap on my 2000 Ford Ranger came off on one side of the gas tank. I called Ford Headquarters. They told me that the vehicle was not on a recall for this problem. I told them it should be. After all the Ford F150 has the same problem. They told me to bring to a Ford dealer and pay for a repair myself and if every vehicle comes up with this recall they will pay for repair. This vehicle has had numerous repairs done throughout the years. They were not average repairs either. One that I know is not normal is when the rear bumper was laying in my driveway one morning. This vehicle has never towed anything either. Ford needs to produce a better product. I have 2001 Toyota 4Runner that has had really no issues like this rot box.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2012

I purchased a 2005 Ranger x-cab 4x4, 4.0 with manual transmission in July 2010 with 16,287 miles on the odometer. Yesterday, January 30, 2012 with 38,894 miles, the slave cylinder went out. When I purchased the vehicle, I also purchased an extended warranty, Ford's ESP basic extended warranty. It covers 84 components. The warranty goes for 48 months from date of purchase or 48k miles. But alas, the slave cylinder is not a covered component. Everything in front, around and behind it is covered. It's integral to the drivetrain/power train, but it's not covered.

After contacting Ford with my complaint, their advice was for me to take it to one of their dealers for the repair (more money for them), because they use genuine Ford parts (which failed prematurely), that once repaired will be covered by a 12 month/12k mile warranty (which is another warranty they won't honor). I've owned over 16 mostly new and used Ford vehicles including four other Rangers all manuals with only one major problem with any of them. Remember the 1979 2.3 turbo Capri/Mustang? It was fixed, no charge after the warranty expired. Ford, admit your design/parts are bad, fix the problem and restore my faith in big business and doing the right thing. You didn't ask for a bailout, I admired that. Do the right thing again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

I own a Ford Ranger 2005 with extended warranty. It dies in the intersection at having about 51,000 on it. This time it is the exhaust system. So far, its battery failed at 3months, its brakes failed twice, its tires, second set from dealer all had faults in them, not imbedded puncture, a fault that emptied them. The transmission had a leak. Ford did nothing, nothing at all.

Their representatives lied about the warranty itself, the extended warranty the California state exhaust warranty, the tires durability (you should exchange tires every 12,000 miles! ), the brakes (you should change the pads every 12,000 miles) about the service - all of it. The car nearly killed me twice. I took very good care of it. I changed the oil on schedule, had the transmission and brakes drained, bought Mobil and Shell fuel. It's a killer car - as of it will kill me. I bought the car because I had Ford before. They were durable, dependable cars. This is a horror on wheels.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2012

I bought a New 2010 PK model Ford Ranger from McEnearney Motors in Trinidad and Tobago, and from them on our life is at risk. Very serious brakes problems. Transmission problems. Engine losing oil. Oil leaking from valve cover. Carbon monoxide and outside air coming inside the vehicle when windows are turned up. The vehicle is doing 35,000 km and all complaints is just a waste of time. I would like to get an attorney to help me get rid of that waste of time vehicle. I went to the managers at the dealership and they are all liars. Can someone please help me? Our life is at risk.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2011

Truck hydroplaned at around 25 mph from the back. This caused it to spin, losing control, and go off the freeway, rolling sideways down a hill next to the freeway. The truck is a loss. The driver suffered injuries. There is something very wrong about this truck model. It demonstrated instability at 20-25 mph on the curves, and on one occasion, after starting it uphill, even on dry road. Rear tires were not worn and had been balanced three weeks ago. This was a work truck, so this caused loss of work.

Original review: March 8, 2005

My car was totally destroyed due to a "mysterious" fire that happened in the middle of the night on March 4, 2005. My car was parked next to a Ford Ranger XLT 1999 truck. I was asleep as it was approximately 3:30 AM. There was a loud explosion and when I woke up and looked out the window I saw that both my car and the Ford truck were on fire. The fire was so hot that both cars were totally destroyed in a matter of minutes. During the fire investigation, which is still ongoing, the inspectors both commented on how peculiar the incident was.

Both the Ford truck and my car were totally destroyed. The fence behind the parking lot is also completely destroyed. A piece of metal flew through the air, smashing the livingroom window of a house diagonally across from the parking lot where the fire was burning. The metal object landed on the living room table, burning it and newspapers lying on it. Since I had no comprehensive insurance, I am now in dire straits financially. I need a car to travel 45 miles to work and back. I have no money to replace my car and the insurance company of the Ford truck owner will not cover my loss. I am devastated. I may have to file bankruptcy.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2003

Ford Ranger 1994, 4 cylinder, standard transmission, standard cab, short bed. While being driven it began to smoke, smoke came from under hood. Vehicle was pulled to a stop and turned off. Fire department called and extinguished fire but vehicle totalled. Fire consumed plastic components on right side of engine compartment and entered cab via the AC unit. Regarding accidents mentioned in this forum.

The Ford Ranger in the above configuration without weight in the bed is a very dangerous vehicle. Yes, the ABS system is known to be difficult to overcome when it is vital that you lock all your brakes. Also the rear brakes don't work properly because of the very light back end. On a dirt "wash board" road the driver will very easily lose control at speeds over 20 mph with the back end trying to come around and join the front end.
On a paved road the rear end will hydro plane extremely easily. If the paved road has "tire tracks" in it that hold the water in two parallel channels, the truck hydroplanes extreme easily with the rear end "coming loose." The truck's high center of gravity, relatively narrow stance, combined with the above make it an accident waiting to happen if you don't keep in mind what you are driving at all times. I bought mine new and kept it only because of the obvious financial considerations.

Eventually truck burned in above described fire. On several occasions prior to that I almost lost control of vehicle in above conditions.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2003

4x4 Ranger purchased in March 2002. It currently has 70,000km. So far. Noise in transmission. After 5 visits and 8 days in the shop they tell me they finally have it figured out. First time they heard no noise and tried to bill me for looking. Second time in they heard the noise but could not fix it at the time and once again tried to bill me for looking. Third time they had it for 3 days and still did not fix the problem. Apparently ordered a recalled shifter. Lost the clutch slave cylinder shortly after. Asked them to fix the transmission noise and install the recalled part at that time.

They could not find the part so no go. Fifth time in they replaced the rubber shifter boot, can you believe that? Of course that was not the problem so they ordered more parts. Currently it is sitting in the shop for the sixth time for the same problem. Hopefully they get it right this time.Wind noises both doors. Rock/chip guard coming off. Rattling/movement drivers seat. Shimmy/vibration 135km. hr and up when new. The garage would not even look at this when it was still under warranty. Apparently their technicians can not drive that fast. Now it starts at 90km/hr.

Funny thing is I just had two tires replaced and balanced. So I know it is not a wheel balance problem. Front brakes and rotors @ 37000 km. would not warranty them. I was told there were hot spots on the rotors and they could not be machined. 400 bucks later fixed. I took the old rotors to another shop and they machined them no problem. They were a few thousandths of an inch under spec but it should have been covered under warranty. I brought this to Fords attention but all I heard was excuses. As I type this it is in the shop again with the same problem.

Transfer case sticks. I now have to accelerate hard in order to get the truck out of 4x4. I was told twice by the local oil change shop the transfer case fluid looked really dirty. Replaced it, 10,000km later it looked terrible again. I brought this to Ford's attention and was simply told it was normal. Now the warranty is off and I have to foot the bill to fix it. I purchased this Ranger based on my previous experience. 1994 4cylinder 2x4. It was a great truck. 400,000km. replaced the clutch slave cylinder, rear wheel and diff bearings, and the front brakes pads twice. Still have the same rotors. Both vehicles are driven in the exact same fashion by the same driver. After the unfortunate experience with the new Ranger this is my last Ford product.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2003

I bought a brand-new 1996 Ford Ranger in July of 1996, just prior to my 50th birthday. I have followed my owners manual, and had all the suggested maintenance done, actually above and beyond, what Ford suggested including frequent oil changes, tune-ups etc. My truck has a whole 71k on it after 7 years -- now the transmission is about to go out! Not a single person has ever driven my truck, and I have treated it like my child, and driven it like the granny I am!

Ford, when contacted, said they have had no consumer complaints, on the 96 Ranger, but after consulting with 2 different transmission shops here in Dallas both said that this is a "common" problem with all Ford trucks made in the 90's.

The economic damage for me is beyond words! I am disabled and living on $900.00 a month. The cost of repair is somewhere between $1,100-$1,700.00,based on the 2 estimates I have gotten. Needless to say, there is no way I can afford this costly repair! Over many years I have owned cars including 2 Toyotas that kept on even after reaching 200K. I will never buy another Ford, nor will I recommend any Ford product, to my worst enemy!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2002

On 09/04/02 at 9:20AM I parked my '92 Ford Ranger in front of my workplace. I then entered the building to go to work. At about 9:30 I got a phone call from a coworker that my truck was on fire. I had them call 911 and several of my coworkers and I grabed fire extinguishers and went out to my truck. The cab was filled with black smoke and the engine compartment had flames comming out from under the hood.

Despite our attempts to extinguish the flames the truck continued to burn until the fire department arrived. They were able to control the fire after they ripped open the hood and used their fire hoses. My truck was completely destroyed beyond repair. The engine was completely ruined and the dash board was totally melted. Why did this happen?
Doing some research on the Internet, I quickly discovered that I was not alone. Hundreds of people have reported similar if not the exact same thing happening to their Ford truck and the cause of the fire could be traced to a faulty ignition switch or some other electrical defect. To my surprize I learned that Ford had issed a recall of many of its cars that had the exact same ignition problem as my truck. However, Ford had elected to NOT recall the Rangers with this same problem. Why?

I am left with a worthless Ford truck due to no fault of my own or any other person. I have no explaination as to why this happend and from the looks of it Ford knows that there is a problem and refuses to do nothing about it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2002

The engine and passenger area of my 1994 Ford ranger started on fire after being parked in the driveway for approx. 4 hours.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2002

I have a 1989 Ford Ranger Pickup that has a fuel tank that is leaking at a seam, the tank is plastic so it is not repairable. Ford has changed the design of the replacement tank so that none of the straps or the shield from the original tank will fit the new tank.The original straps and shield are serviceable.

The cost for the straps and shield is about $500.00. The total cost for the repair is $1050.00.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2002

My brother and his girlfriend were out hunting in his Ford Ranger. They were on their way home when they slid off the road down an embankment. They went over a few stumps, hit the passenger side on a tree then came to rest after hitting a large tree going between 20 to 30 MPH. The frame twisted, the front of the truck was pushed into a W shape, the only reason the passenger door was not caved in was because he had nerf bars.

The extended part of his cab was totaled, the impact was so great that it broke the welds on the lid of his diamond plate tool box. The truck was balanced on the transfer case propped up by a stump, but the airbags never went off.

His girlfriend's seatbelt must not have been latched or held very well because it came undone and she hit the windsheild and broke it with her head. My brother even though his seatbelt was on and stayed latched, he hit the the streaing wheel with his chest and arms. It is a 99 Ranger and you are able to turn the passenger airbag on and off. The light now indicates that the airbag is off even though at the time of impact it was on. It reads it off regardless of the position of the key.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2002

I bought a 2000 Ford Ranger in Sept. 01. Everything was fine until I got an oil change at 5000 mi. and the worker told me that I did not have any coolant in my coolant bottle. He topped me off and informed me that this could be serious. I thought maybe in the rush to get the truck out they forgot to put it in so I sort of brushed it off.

My truck now has 10,000 mi. and went for a oil change and guess what? It was empty again. I took it to Ford and had them test it and told them I wanted to know what the problem is. They gave it back to me in 1/2 hr. and said there's nothing wrong. They also told me that it is normal for the fluid to evaporate. I found a site that told me people have had this same problem and after a while they blew a head gasket.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2001

A few months ago I purchased a brand new 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 ex. cab pickup, black. After I washed the truck, spots appeared on the truck that could not be washed off, polished off or rubbed off. Another wash did not help.

I took the truck to the local Ford dealership here in my hometown. They looked at it then sent me to have a professional to look at it, without any solution to my problem. Then I called Ford Motor Co. and they sent a rep. out to examine the truck and all he would say was that the problem must have been enviromental because they could not find any other reason.

They would not repaint the truck or replace it, so I am stuck with a truck that has spots that won't come off. I cannot get any help from Ford Motor Co. nor from the local dealer. I paid cash for the truck and I am very unhappy with my purchase, so what can I do?

Carolyn could sue Ford in Small Claims Court for the cost of a paint job.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2001

I leased a 2000 Ford Ranger (Extended cab) on July 4, 2000. On the third month after leasing the truck I had a minor accident. Other than getting parking citations, I have never had any accidents or whatsoever in my six years of driving experience. The third month driving the truck I rear-ended a lady with an infant passenger. With the traffic going 25-35 miles/hr. she made a sudden stop. With a two-car distance behind her, I immediately stepped on the brake all the way to the floor.

The same incident happened on 15th of June 2001. A month after I had the truck serviced, I had the same minor accident. Again, no one was hurt, both cars were only dented, and the damages were minor; which just goes to show that both were traveling on a slow traffic. The accident happened at a crosswalk when a pedestrian suddenly crossed in the middle of traffic. Similarly to the other accident, the car made a sudden stop. I had enough distance to brake just like the last time but my truck did the same thing. I couldn't do anything but watch myself for a brief five seconds gliding and smashing into the other cars rear-end.
This time I started entertaining the notion that there might be something wrong with the truck. When I took it back to the Beverly Hills Ford dealership, they explained to me that what had happened was the result of the A.B.S. system. That it was designed to prevent the tires from locking (hence, despite pressing the brake pedal down to the floor, the wheels keeps rolling), that in the event of a sudden stop, one has the option of steering away and avoiding the accident. Basically saying that there is no way to make a full stop to avoid a catastrophic accident; a privilege only offered to Ford Ranger drivers. They concluded in the end that there was nothing wrong with the truck.
On the 13th of August 2001, another incident occurred. All the details were similar; no one was hurt and the damages were minor. This time I decided to go back to the dealership where I originally leased the truck. I told them everything that has happened to me ever since I leased the truck. At the end of the whole ordeal, they told me the same explanation Beverly Hills Ford had told me -- the ABS break system does not allow one to make a complete stop; it gives the driver a chance to steer away from the potential accident.
My question is, if it was an actual person or what if it was a child chasing a ball in the middle of the street? Are they implying that the purpose of the brake system is to provide adequate time for the driver to choose between the child chasing the ball or the friend of the child standing on the side of the street?

If the facts are as presented, there is something seriously wrong with Michael's truck. First, the brake pedal should not go all the way to the floor. Second, ABS or not, when the driver stomps on the brakes in a full-panic manner, the vehicle should start screeching, laying down rubber and, in a word, braking. Michael should insist that the truck be thoroughly examined before he or someone else is killed.

Original review: May 26, 2001

I am writing to advise you of an incident I had with my truck's wiring to the interior light in the canopy. I was working at a property and the truck had been parked for about 5 hours when I suddenly saw smoke coming from under the hood and quickly disconnected the wires from the battery. My concern is what if this had happened when the truck is parked in our attached garage?

True the truck is a 91 Ford Ranger 4x4, but it sits in the garage for at least 6 months of every year and is in like-new condition. It has never been mistreated and I feel that this should never happen. What is the reason? Is the wiring faulty or what? The canopy was installed by a Ford dealership.

The consequences were minimal because I was right there when it happened and knew what to do, the truck had the wires burned and it scared the daylights out of me. It could have been much worse.

Original review: April 26, 2001

Over the past several years we have had problems with our Ford Ranger and Ford Bronco II dying in traffic for no reasons. We are not rich people but have replaced and replaced parts on these vehicles trying to solve the problem.

On March 14, 2001 my husband was on his way to Spokane in the Ranger. I had just seen him at my office in Moses Lake, WA, it was a very nice day. Something happened about 30 miles later on HWY 90 East. The Ranger went off the road and rolled. My husband was ejected from the Ranger and died. According to witnesses, he had just passed a truck and was not weaving or acting as if he had problems. I believe the Ranger died again and he was not able to control the car. According to the police, they can not figure out why his car left the road either.
Damage Resulting: My husband died. Due to my economic situation I still have to drive the Bronco II until I can junk it (I do not want anyone else hurt because of these cars). Emotional damage, words can not describe the loss or the fear I have now when I get into a car to drive. I will never trust another automobile or their claims that their cars are safe.

This might be related to the ignition problems that were the basis of a major class action suit. Angel should have an attorney check into it.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2001

Last Friday morning (Feb 9th) about 12:30am I awoke to the smell of smoke. After investigating the house I found out that my 1993 Ford Ranger was on fire in the driveway. By the time the fire company arrived, the engine compartment and part of the cab was completly engulfed in flames. Also damaged was the front of my 3-year-old home. Thank God I didn't put the truck in the garage.

I live in a condo community so I might have to be responsible for the $1000.00 deductable as well as my $250.00 deductible for auto insurance. I should not be responsible for any. How can a perfectly running truck catch fire after sitting for over seven hours? I'll be lucky if I get "book value" for my truck which I will not be able to replace without additional cost. My truck was perchased new. The 90K miles were my mileage. I took good care of the vehicle. I feel Ford should be responsible for the loss.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2000

My 1999 Ford Ranger's windows fog up and it is hard to see. The steering is not right, it wanders. The brakes don't work righe, it has a vibration, it accelerates at stops and I am afraid I or someone else will be injured if it isn't fixed, but the dealership says it can't find any of the problems. I just think they dont want the lemon back.

I am a nervous wreck cause I have a vehicle that I have to pay for and I believe it is a hazard to be on the road. I almost had a wreck cause it accelerated at a stop light and I'm just terrified to drive it.

Ford Ranger Company Information