Economy Lube

Waterloo, Ontario

Compare Auto Service and Repair

Research top Auto Service and Repair recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I stopped by the Fairway Road Economy Lube this afternoon. At first, I thought I had a pretty positive experience. The staff were friendly and fast (probably too fast in retrospect). The only thing I was originally concerned about was that my oil change was $20 more than the highest price on the price board. The tech told me the price for "my oil" had just fallen off. Could happen I suppose.

A few minutes later, I was on my way - a very fast service. When I got home and read my receipt, I saw the things that should have been done - checking all the fluids and other things - could they have done all of that so fast? One of the items checked as completed was filling my windshield washer fluid. It was empty on arrival and still empty after the service. It made me wonder what else they hadn't done.

I did a quick online check of the company and was blown away at all of the negative stories/reviews/news reports, etc. I was now wondering if they even changed my oil at all. My car runs on full synthetic and I paid for full synthetic. I checked my oil and it appears very dark and smells like conventional oil. I just called my dealership to book for another oil change because I have no trust or faith in Economy Lube. I'll find out next week if they really did change the oil and if they gave me the oil I paid for.

They will say you need brake fluid, trans fluid, power steering and charge you 100 to 200+ and not even do the work.

In October 2015 I had my Pontiac Sunfire in for oil, filter and lube plus a Winter Check-up. Work was done on my transmission and the following day I had a puddle of fluid on the floor. I took the car back to them, it was put on a hoist and they did not see anything. Told me to take it to a garage with equipment that will locate the leak. So I did and the leak was found with nuts and bolts broken in the pan, loose bolts, just a real mess. Went back to Economy Lube and they would not admit any fault whatsoever. Had my leak fixed elsewhere and also the mechanic said it was not transmission fluid in the transmission. So they called Economy Lube and still no admission of any fault on their part.

Now my transmission need a total flushing and cleaning out and proper transmission fluid put in. He was not sure if any damage was done to the transmission. Now it is February 2016 and I had my car in for service and have been told my transmission is slipping and now should be replaced. Whoever was working that day the 14th of October did not know what they were doing. I will never go back there for service and would not recommend anyone to go there.

On friday oct 25, 2015 I went to get my oil and coolant flushed at the cambridge location 688 hespeler road. I have gotten my jeep serviced by them and not one issue so I brought my truck there. I have been going there for approx one year now. So anyways my truck had no leaks or anything when it went in. I got the services done no problem. I drive home a few blocks away. Parked my truck overnight. And the next afternoon I went to go out and there is a puddle of coolant on the ground. I checked my fluid and it didn't register on the dipstick so I filled it up and drove back and told them what was going on. They topped up and said its all fine so I left. About 2 hrs later my truck was pissing coolant so I quickly shut it off and had my buddy who works for a towing company come give me a hand to fix my truck on the side of the road. I had to put 10L of coolant in my truck and went home.

I went back on monday and they said that they would fix my coolant broken hose clamp which was not broken before it went in. The one supervisor told me that I didnt know what I was talking about and that none of their technicians would undo a hose to flush the fluid out. He then told me that they dont even undo the drain plug. They undo a hose at the top of the rad. I told him that thats not the correct way of doing a coolant flush as I have worked in quite a few mechanic shops. Well moral of they story is that they don't know what they are doing and their staff are not properly trained. I have to pay more money for another coolant flush and the proper compression clamp thats needed since they said that they put on the right clamp and its not. So I will not be going back to them and recommend people not to go to them unless you want to have your vehicle screwed up and spend more money. Go to a mechanic shop.

On September 4, 2015 we brought our vehicle (2014 KIA Rondo) to Economy Lube, 87 Gordon St. Guelph, ON for an oil change. We drove to Ottawa for the long weekend. On September 7, 2015 while driving back from Ottawa to Guelph on Highway 401, our car suddenly turned off and we immediately pulled over. A couple of attempts were made to turn the vehicle back on without success and therefore, we had to call CAA for a tow to a Canadian Tire Kingston, ON where an investigation was completed with the conclusion that the engine was seized, and the oil drain plug was missing. We left our car there and rented a car to drive back to Guelph.

Next day Sep. 8 we drove back to Kingston to arrange for our car to be assessed by KIA dealership, where we were reconfirmed that the engine was seized and the oil drain plug was missing. We were assured that when we got the oil changed at Economy Lube the employee forgot to either tighten the oil drain plug or even install one at all. Not only has this incident caused us a lot of stress but we have also spent a great deal of time and money. We have tried to get Economy Lube management to account for this incident, but we have not heard back from them yet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Economy Lube?

Have been going to Economy Lube for a few years. I would often been offered "Upselling" items such as transmission fluid change, fuel filter, cabin filter changes based on my mileage and history with this garage. After becoming aware of their practices, I switched to another reputable garage for my next oil change. I've just found that my transmission fluid had never been changed, fuel filter and cabin filter never changed as I was advised. I don't know how much extra I've paid for over the years for not getting the services done.

I took my Toyota to the dealer here in Cambridge for servicing and snow tire removal. While I was waiting for my car to be ready, three people came in with serious car problems, over heated engines, etc. during one hour. All three had been recently serviced by the local Economy Lube. One had lost its oil pan drain plug, one was leaking and was almost out of oil from an improperly replaced plug, and I think the third was a case of severely diluted engine coolant. I asked my mechanic about this and he said this is a daily thing from that location. He warned me to never use Economy Lube. He did recommend a good oil change place, so it wasn't like he wanted to scare me so I'd only use the dealership for everything. It was an honest warning that now has been proven to me.

I have been taking my truck into the economy lube on Manitou since it was new. I have replaced both lower control arms and the tie rod ends. Then about 2 years later the lower control arms went again due to lack of lubrication. I called Chris and told him what had happened. He made excuses why the employees did not grease for fittings. He made it sound like it was my fault for NOT telling the techs there was grease fittings. It is not my job to tell the techs there are grease fittings. If they would be PROPERLY trained, I would not have had to put $1000 into my front again. The thing he doesn't know is I am a licensed mechanic so I would know if grease was put into the lower control arms I would not be out the money. If economy lube would stand behind the workmanship of its employees, it would have many more customers.

I am a small local company that has done work for the Economy Group. This work involved parts and labor on some of the buildings. It has been 6 months and they have not paid for the parts used. Steve Moxey refuses to pay without a wholesale receipt for the parts used. I have had my truck serviced at his shops and never get wholesale prices for parts installed. Stay away from this crook!

I went into Economy Lube in Guelph at 87 Gordon Avenue for an oil change. I use full synthetic oil and I now believe that they did nothing at all during this time I spent at their shop. They actually told me that I should change my transmission fluid at the same time because it was due so I told them to change it - another thing they did not. I discovered this when a week after my oil change my SUV went into another garage for warranty work. I immediately called their Regional Manager ** at 519-404-1551. He told me it was ridiculous to think that they did not do the work I paid for. He said they videotape everything they do and he would email me the video tape of my oil and transmission fluid change so I could see it being done.

Well it's now three weeks later and nothing has been emailed to me. So just now I called Chris back again. He told me they did it, but no proof?? I asked him where is my email. He said that would consume way too much of his day to do that and swept me aside, actually hung up on me?? I called back, asked him for his boss’ number. He gave me some guy's number. Would not tell me his position, just his name.

This place is a huge scam rip off. I now know from two other garages my filter and fluids were not changed. They did nothing but take my money. DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY GOING TO THIS BUSINESS. And they don’t even stand behind what they didn’t do. ** will not talk to me, will not do what he said he would? Now I know where his employees get it from.

Today I decided to stop at Economy Lube on Gordon Street in Guelph. There was a sign out front with a special on full synthetic oil change for 49.99. My matrix requires full synthetic. I told them upon arrival I wanted the full synthetic. They took the car in right away as there was no other customer. They did the oil change, I received my bill of $82.47. I asked why when the special is advertised at 49.99. I was told "Oh, that is for one type and my matrix needs another." And on top of that, they charged me $9.99 for a oil filter. "Who does that?" I said and he said that's what it is. The service rep was very rude to me, had no choice but to pay and said I will never be back. He put a big grin on and said have a good day. So basically, stay away from Economy Lube, they are crooks.

Audi 2002 A4 1.8T. Right after oil change drove it for one block and oil lamp came on. Car started shaking like it was dying. Turned around and was told dipstick wasn't placed properly. They said they pushed it in and it should be good. Problem was not solved. Came back and they said dipstick plastic was broken. Ordered new one and problem remains. Took it back and they "scanned" my car. They said it's my transmission.

I have never had such a problem with my car until they "changed my oil". My tranny jumps and car is kicking when stopped. Also, to apply gas takes so much effort. The gas pedal is so heavy. I'm having the car checked out by an actual mechanic so I can go back to them with proof that they did this. So frustrated and so many hours wasted on this. Def not going back for any type of service. I just wish I knew about all their bad reviews prior to this.

Today I went to Economy Lube in Guelph Ontario and they did not give me good service. They did not filled my windshield fluid and charged me over $50!! Won't go back again there!!!

Here it goes. Firstly I can say my friend's job was not to sell, only to do work. Certain people at Economy Lube are workers who get paid more and some are sellers who get paid less but with commission. This company cares as much about the employees as it does for anyone else who walks into the shop.

First of all. There is one type of oil. Multigrade 10w30. And its recycled. Its funny because they advertise oils from $17.79 all the way up to $79.99 for full bottled synthetic. And no the bottled synthetic is not real. If you were to ask them to show you a bottle with the seal they wouldn't know what to say. Its all just refilled from our bulk oil and put in the back to look like we have it in stock. No matter if you buy the $79.99 oil or $17 oil, its the exact same thing. Second. None of their oil is Castrol. Again recycled 10w30. Third. They offer brake flushes. This is proven to be B.S. because you need to be a certified mechanic to touch brakes. No one in all of economy lube has a mechanic license.

Here's a list of every other service offered by Economy Lube and why it's a scam.

The only service you can get here that is legitimate is an engine flush, is a differential or transfer case service. And that is in the case that your vehicle takes the exact type of fluid we have. We only have one gear oil (differential) and one automatic transmission fluid. I still would never use any of Economy Lube's fluids in my own vehicle even though it was free for employees to do their own oil changes. I've never seen a co-worker use anything from Economy Lube in their vehicle.

Transmission Flush - What they do - drain from the bottom of your transmission about 3 to 4 liters of fluid, plug it back up and fill another 3 to 4 liters of new fluid. Transmissions generally hold up to 11 liters of fluid so they are really taking out a small portion and replacing it. NOT A REAL TRANSMISSION SERVICE. The real way is to connect a vacuum machine which takes it directly out of the lines while replacing it with new fluid. It should take about 30 minutes to do. Brake Flush - The worst scam of all. They suck out the fluid in your brake reservoir and put some new fluid. Then clean the reservoir tank with wd40 so it looks all clean and shiny. $59.99 for less than 2 dollars' worth of fluid you could buy at literally any gas station.

Power steering service - They suck out your power steering fluid just from the reservoir (not all of it) then put new fluid. Then they turn the steering wheel a few times to make it look like they're doing something. Then just like the brake flush, they clean it up make it look good and no one second guesses it. On the odd occasion someone will come back angry about the fluid still looking bad. In this case they're usually given the service again as well as a free car wash to make it look like an honest accident.

Fuel Injection - no name fluids. rarely sold. Fuel Filters - In my whole time being with the company, I've only seen them change a fuel filter maybe 1 out of 10 times when sold. Most are rusted on so bad they don't bother. They will just spray paint it and show you an old one they have lying around as if it just came off your car.

As I've said before there is no reason why you should bring your car to Economy Lube. The whole company is a scam and has been for 20 years. That's how professional they are at doing it. As for workers. There is no up to date first aid, fire extinguisher. There is NO eyewash AT ALL. No safety training. This is not something that is set up by employees to make sales. These services all come direct from the Owner (Stephen Moxey) and his wingman, the vice president (Chris Muter).

PS. The entire company IS closing down. 7 stores already closed and the rest by March 31st. Google BBB (Better Business Bureau) and you can see that there accreditation has been revoked due because of too many unresolved complaints. The worst part is that the owner is going to actually get away with scamming so many people.

On Dec 28/13 I took my Pontiac Vibe to Economy Lube on Victoria St N in Kitchener. When I got there I told them I would like the $29.95 special with fluid top ups. The guy told me I needed to change my transmission fluid. He couldn't see any coolant in the reservoir or any at all and couldn't top it up because I had coolant from the dealer. He did not tell me that I needed a new air filter which I knew from the last oil change that it needed to be replaced. I was supposed to get fluid top ups. So I had my coolant checked elsewhere and it was full. I had the oil change because we were leaving for Toronto to go on a trip. Half way to the airport we ran out of wiper fluid. We had to put a significant amount of air in all four tires as they had not been checked. My receipt said they used 5W30 oil and the standard for my car is 5w20. This was very disappointing and no one will return my calls or emails regarding this botched email. Do Not get an oil change at Economy Lube. They will rip you off!!!!!!!!!

My wife took my 2010 Acura into the Economy Lube location for a basic oil change at the Guelph location at Gordon st. and Wellington. The manager there was a fellow by the name of ** and after bringing in the car, he returned in 5 minutes with a checklist of problems with the car he said would need servicing which he said would run about $250. Now I have my vehicle serviced regularly at the dealer and knew this ** guy was lying to my wife. My wife only agreed to the oil change and the air filter change. When my wife got home, I checked the car and noticed that the dealer oil filter was still on the car and the air filter was the factory one as well. This is just the work of a corrupt and unethical company. I will never let anyone go there again and am warning everyone else out there to avoid this company like the plague.

I took my van there for an oil change. They gave it back to me in about 8 minutes. I couldn't believe it. I started driving and the whole engine seized up. They didn't put the oil plug back in. Then they had the nerve to treat me like crap. I dealt with this little weasel called Chris. He was not only a moron, but an ignorant prick. I was so glad to see the market place piece. These guys are scum.

I have been a client of this chain for a number of years but only for a basic oil change due to convenience and price. On more than one occasion, I have received misleading "recommended service interval" info and witnessed others being encouraged to perform unnecessary upsells. While working out of town one day, I was livid to hear my wife received the "$250" upsell, similar to that describe referred to on CBC Marketplace, November 9th. Typical "service with a smile". (Former employees claim to have been earning over $60,000 per year through these scams. No wonder they were smiling.)

I can only wonder now if she received anything more than the basic oil change or was also the victim of the scams videotaped by Marketplace. Not every quick change shop performs this way; unfortunately, it is buyer beware. Read your owner's manual and be an informed consumer before you agree to extras. The cheap oil change is often accompanied by overpriced filters and other add ons. Know your car, know your mechanic.

I went to them twice. I suspected something was wrong. I did not listen to my gut instincts. The coolant was not flushed and steering and brake fluid not properly done. My new car performed worse than when I took it in, and this is a NEW car. They said they are new car warranty approved, that is IF they do the required service... Then I saw this cbc.ca. Marketplace undercover, they are BUSTED!!

I have been receiving harassing phone calls from Stephen ** (phone # **), and Chris ** (phone # **), falsely accusing me of doing an oil change on a car that I have previously owned (the car hasn't been registered under my name since August 28th, 2013) and not paying for the service. The car was written off by my insurance company three months ago, and I haven’t owned the car since then. The oil change was apparently done on the 30th of October 2013, three months after the insurance took the car away from me. I have tried to explain this to Mr. ** countless times, but the harassing phone calls and false accusations won’t stop.

I have contacted the police and my insurance company to aid me in this issue, and I have been informed by them to ignore the calls. This doesn't comfort me much especially since they keep harassing me and have told me that they know where I live and work. In all, this whole ordeal has caused me much stress from them constantly calling me at night and in the morning at work. I believe this issue could have been better resolved by them taking the matter up with the police and finding the current owner of the vehicle who went to do the oil change, as opposed to bombarding me with harassing phone calls and false accusations.

I'm just sitting here laughing at all these cheapskates on this website. What do you expect for $19.99? For all you suckers out there. Pay an extra 10 bucks and bring your car to a real mechanic to service. Why would you spend so much money buying a car... then bring it to a pimple-faced kid to change the oil???

What do you think will happen? LOL. Do yourself a favor and bring your car to a licensed, trained mechanic. Do you realize how much training a mechanic needs to get licensed? Do you realize how much training a part time student needs to work at Economy Lube? Do you realize how foolish you must feel right now? And do you realize how foolish you sound when you complain about this afterwards? Smarten up people... At least make the right decisions so that your parents can feel a bit proud of you for making the simple basic right decisions in life. I'm sure they taught you better than this.

I once worked at Economy Lube and must say I am ashamed of myself for working there as long as I did! For one, all of their oil is the exact same. There is no synthetic, no 10w30, no 5w20 and no 5w30. It's all the same weight and who knows what weight it actually is! It's a scam. Do not take your car here! There is a 70% chance your car will get damages by taking your car here! Another thing, the coolant we use is pretty much water! All of the fluids are crap and we are made to lie to customers or we get fired or moved to the furthest location possible! This place is crooked and the owners avoid you if a customer has an issue! Please stay away from this place. You've been warned!

I took my car to Economy Lube in Waterloo, ON to have the transmission fluid changed. They were "done" in 10 minutes. I later found out that my car has a sealed transmission and it takes at least 30 minutes to change the fluid. I verified this with a mechanic and Toyota. They both said there is no way it can be done in 10 minutes. That means I paid $100 for nothing! To make matters worse, they advertise it is $60 for a transmission fluid change. They told me I needed "special fluid" that was an extra $40. This was also a lie that I confirmed with a mechanic and Toyota. They are crooks and they lie!!!

Lied to and charged more than I normally get charged there. Jerks. I will never ever go there again. I went there for more than 20 oil changes before I finally had enough.

I informed Chris ** regarding an oil change and he made me happy with the service I had gotten. I will be returning to Economy Lube in Brantford on Lyden Rd.

I've seen oil change for CAD17.95 at Economy Lube in Brantford, ON on Lynden Rd. My sister-in-law was out shopping. I ended up getting a transmission service (CAD99), air filter (CAD20), brake fluid service (CAD89) and multi-grade oil change for CAD19.99. Then my engine light came on and my car seemed to be chugging. The man came out to see/set engine light with a gadget under dash. Light goes out. Half way to Hamilton, the light comes on again. As I was traveling, I noticed my transmission either slipping or chugging for air before it seemed to kick into gear. The light stayed on. On Sunday, I went back because the weather was too bad to go back. They were closed. This is when my nephew and I opened the hood and noticed 2 connections not reconnected. One was on but not fully shoved in and the air filter connection was not connected at all. After we connected them, the engine light went out and my car did not seem to be chugging for air. I give them no stars.

On Monday of July 25, 2011, I took my Pontiac Sunfire to the Economy Lube Shop on University Avenue in Waterloo, ON. I needed to have an oil change done; I was leaving for Ottawa and then Baltimore, MD in the next few days following that, and the car was just about due for one. The guys took her in, performed the service I needed. They sent me on my way within 15 minutes after informing me that my A/C unit was broken (a fact that I already knew). I drove the car home, and to work the next day. The day after that I drove to Ottawa, from Waterloo, a five-hour drive in good traffic. While there, I did some running around with the vehicle, and left the following morning to drive ten hours to Baltimore with passengers along.

During the entire drive to Ottawa and Baltimore, the car behaved normally, which I am supremely grateful for. While in Baltimore, I ferried friends back and forth between the Extended Stay America Linthicum hotel and the BWI Business Light Rail Stop, as well as driving into Columbia, MD, and into the downtown core of Baltimore for a supply run on the day we arrived there (Thursday, July 28th, three days and about 1400 kilometers since the oil change). It wasn't until my friends and I began our trip home to Canada on Monday, August 1st, that we noticed there was a problem with the vehicle.

When stopping for gas halfway through New York State, the car began to steam quit a bit. Other patrons at the gas station advised me not to open up the hood, and get home as soon as possible to have the car examined. While driving, the engine temperature was not rising, and no other issues were found. We arrived back in Ottawa without incident, and while dropping my friends at their apartment the car once again began to steam. It ceased after about 5-10 minutes, and I drove it next door to stay for the night with another friend, who commented that the car stank of oil.

On Wednesday, August 3rd, I drove from Ottawa in the early morning, back to my home in Waterloo, and when stopping for gas in Kingston, ON, I noticed that the car, while still steaming quite a bit, did indeed smell very strongly of oil. It also appeared to be leaking through the front vents, and over the sides of the hood. The rims of the two front cars were coated in a thin layer. I arrived home safely, and I was quite convinced that there was something seriously wrong with my vehicle. I proceeded to go to work that day, and the next using other means until my day off, when I am able sit down with my father and have a look at it before taking it to a local garage.

When my father and I were finally home at the same time, my father opened the hood of the vehicle and immediately the problem became clear. Everything in the engine compartment was covered in oil, and the oil cap was not on the oil tank. Instead, it was perched nicely on top of the battery, quite a few inches away. Understandably, my father and I were both quite upset by this. My father put the cap back on the oil tank, where it screwed in perfectly tight, and advised me to take the vehicle back to the Economy Lube on the first chance I got. This would be the next day that they would be open while I was not at work myself, Monday August 8th, two weeks since the oil change had been done.

On Monday, a friend accompanied me to the Economy Lube location on University Avenue at 9 AM. I was completely calm and courteous at this point. Myself work in customer service; I understand that mistakes can be made and that berating an individual is not the most effective way to make them sympathetic to your issue. I spoke to Sam (the mechanic), explaining to him that I had the oil change done there, that I have driven 3000 kilometers between Waterloo, Ottawa and Baltimore, that the car had been exhibiting noticeable issues that stemmed from the mechanic, who had completed my initial oil change and not putting the cap back on properly.

After I have explained myself, Sam went into a speech about how I could not have possibly done all the driving that I had, and perhaps someone else had gone under the hood and removed the oil cap. To begin with, his tone was condescending; his choice of vocabulary was extremely accusatory, making me feel like a common idiot for believing that my vehicle had gone the distance it had. I calmly explained to him that there was simply no way that someone had opened up the hood. Myself do not do it unless I am filling the windshield washer fluid, and the only other person who would have would have been my father, who I had not been home with at the same time since the oil change, save for when we both were sleeping. The only other explanation was that someone in Baltimore had come along and done this to my car, and it seemed a touch far-fetched that someone would remove the oil cap and place it on the battery as an act of vandalism. Sam then rudely asked, “Well, what do you expect us to do?”

By this point, my patience was wearing thin. Sam was being condescending, and his overall attitude was rather smug. I stated that I expected for the oil change to be redone, the oil filter to be replaced, and for the engine bay to be thoroughly cleaned of oil. Sam pointed outside, saying that the regional manager was just arriving, and he would have to go ask him about this. Sam left the office and the waiting room to go talk to the manager. As he came across the parking lot, my friend and I turned to find the waiting room rather stunned, one gentleman even asked if my vehicle was still running smoothly; at that point, no. The engine oil light had come on, and the car was shuddering and rumbling rather loudly. My friend drew my attention outside, to where I could clearly witness Sam and regional manager (who I later found out to be the vice president of Economy Lube), Chris ** talking. Sam had a large grin on his face; his body language and gestures suggested that he found my story and issue to be something of a joke. Without asking me, the men began approaching my vehicle, at which point my friend and I went outside to meet them. We opened up the hood, and I demonstrated how the engine compartment was covered in oil. It was dripping from the hood and everything inside was slicked with it.

At that point, I was told again that there was no way the car made it as far as it did. I stated again that this may very well be a fact, but the car did. It has made it that far; perhaps, I was given extraordinary luck. Both gentlemen nod, and then Chris ** stated that perhaps the oil tank cap just popped off.

I am not a mechanic, and I am not a physicist, but I was thoroughly intrigued by how exactly the cap was supposed to have unscrewed itself and leapt over to sit on the car battery with the hood closed, while it was driving. While Chris was being a shade more polite than Sam had been inside, he was still speaking to me as though I was an idiot. I was still feeling rather condescended to by the looks they were sharing and by their tones. Chris ** told me that they will redo the oil and filter change, and “wipe everything down” for me. While this was not exactly what I was hoping for, I agreed and let them take the car up. I was told that the whole thing would take 15 minutes, and already I was skeptical, as that was how long the original change had taken. I assume that an oil change and wiping down the components under the hood would take a little longer than that.

During this time, my father arrived to see how things were coming along. I was not happy about going back to this location, as they had previously charged me for repairs I had not needed (and after reading other consumers' complaints, I feel I should have checked to see if they even completed). He had wanted to come by and make sure that they were not treating me as a moron, or worse, condescending to me because of my sex. He took a business card from the shop, and the number for the vice president (at this point we were still not putting together that the “regional manager” and the vice president were the same person as Chris ** had never introduced himself to me), and returned to his work. He told me to bring my car for him to look at when I was done.

Fifteen minutes later, the car was brought down and returned to me; it was left in front of the garage and I was told, “It's done. You can leave”. By this point, both my friend and I were in shock from how rude, condescending and, yes, sexist, the entire exchange had been. We were genuinely wondering if my father had come with us from the get-go, if the entire affair that day would have gone the same. When we opened up the car at my father's work, we found out that while the oil change had been completed, and the cap put back properly, they had done a poor job of wiping down anything - my fingers still came away with oil on them when touching the battery.My father and his colleagues advised me to call the number we had taken down for the vice president of Economy Lube and explain, also to ask if this was the general way in which employees of Economy Lube treated their customers, or if I had received this treatment because I was a woman.

When calling the number, I again found myself talking to Chris **. I explained my story once more. I also explained the runaround that I had been given that morning by Sam (the mechanic), that he attempted to shuffle the blame for the mistake off onto all kinds of improbable and impossible excuses. When I was finished, the vice president introduced himself as the same “regional manager” who had been there that morning, and said that he thought they had been entirely courteous and respectful. He also told me that there was no way my car had been in any sort of bad state because they had measured the engine oil when they did the change, and I had only lost about a liter of oil. That struck me as odd. Either my vehicle is broken and displaying dashboard lights that it never has before, or these gentlemen are lying to me. I thanked him for his time, and resorted to calling the 1-800 customer service number that I found on the bottom of my original receipt, which I found only got me the following information: the only individual whom I had the option to file a complaint with was Chris **.

I am extremely upset about this. The initial mistake was simple, and something that these supposedly trained mechanics should not have missed. It is entirely probable that their mistake put my life and the lives of dozen (literally) others at risk, as my car was one of the two used during my trip to Baltimore to ferry the friends I was staying with around. It goes without saying that the mistake put the performance of my vehicle in jeopardy. While it is no longer displaying the rumbling or shuddering it had been prior to their “fix”, I am still concerned that issues related to this event may present themselves down the road.

I was willing to forgive and forget, until I received the condescending, rude, sexist service that I did. Being told to my face that I must be lying, and being given horrifically terrible excuses to cover their own backs on the issue, and the tone in which this all was delivered, has done nothing to cause me to forgive them for issues that they have caused. I most certainly will not be bringing my vehicle back to them for service considering their advertising of a $19.99 oil change is also a lie. I paid $41 for my oil change, when I only asked for a basic oil change. I work in customer service; again, I know that $19.99 plus Ontario sales taxes comes to $22.59-- not $41 (though I am sure they would have some excuse for that as well). I have informed my family members, co-workers, and friends of what happened, and they in turn, have been spreading the word. After researching on the Internet, I have found numerous complaints (14) lodged against them at the Better Business Bureau, and on consumer sites such as Ripoff Report and Consumer Affairs.

The staffs of Economy Lube, in my eyes, are no better than condescending crooks who viewed me as nothing, but a university student (apparently their favorite prey) and a woman who could easily be sent on her way with a few excuses. Myself, and my friend who accompanied me are both in shock that this is the way they choose to conduct their customer service. It is truly disgusting and shameful.

The above business fail to fulfill their obligations of our contract which we paid $2,500 for, and was very dishonest. The owner keep misleading us and wasting our time, and finally he wants us to trash our car and for us to pay $500 additional to buy one of his cars. We originally took our car, a '94 Cadillac El Dorado, for them to perform the following work which is all stated on our contract: rebuilt timing chain, replaced used engine and replace water pump, and it also included a 90-day warranty. When we went to pick up our car and paid $2,500, and took it for a test drive, the car was overheating. We came back to the shop and advised the owner, Joseph about the issue with the car. He told us that he will take a look at it, and for us to pick it up in a few days.

When we came back and test drive it again, it was the same issue. Again, Joseph apologized and asked us to come back in a few days. This same scenario occurred over and over for almost the next couple of months. We trusted Joseph with our car due to that my mom has dealt with them before. But once we realized that we are being string along and misled and that it's causing us time and money driving 64 miles each way coming from north Hollywood, which was very inconvenient, we started complaining that the service is very unprofessional and dishonest.

Then Joseph told us that he doesn't specialize in Cadillacs and asked us to take it to a nearby Cadillac dealership for them to accurately diagnose the engine. He promised that he will properly fix the problem and he even paid for the diagnostic himself. Once, the Dutton company diagnosed the problems as followed: "head gaskets blown, two gallon low on coolant, block test failed, engine misfires, lower engine leaks oil, recommend heads be pulls for inspection", and stated that the engine was installed improperly. We then again went to the Meineke shop to talk to Joseph. He then insisted for us to trash our car and pay him an additional $500 and he will give us '84 Toyota. We were stunned and demanded for our refund. He refuses and told us that there is nothing that he can do. What kind of company conduct their business like this and have extremely poor customer service? It's not right and their license to operate should be denied or pulled. Also we feel that he probably never even touch the car because the car is still in the same condition as when we first drop it off.

Based on Economy Lubes advertisement of a 10 minute oil change for $19.99. I took my 2007 Jeep Patriot in on Saturday March 20, 2010 to get an oil change. Upon greeting me the staff was courteous, friendly and very professional. They proceeded to do the oil change in a very expedient manner and within 10 minutes.

When they were near finished the mechanic working on my vehicle reviewed the findings with me indicating that all was well except that the transmission fluid needed changing. I said not to do the transmission fluid, I would have that done at my dealer and I just wanted the oil change. At this point, the attitude changed to being more aggressive as they indicated I could not get the transmission fluid changed anywhere else cheaper especially not at my dealer. I insisted that was okay and just the oil change.

The mechanic then proceeded to tell me my total would be $34.99 and when I questioned this price indicating the advertisement had said $19.99, he said my vehicle took a synthetic grade 5w20 oil that was more expensive. He also said most new vehicles took these more expensive synthetic oils. When I went to pay the bill, I asked I believe the manager why I was being charged more than the advertised $19.99 and he said it was like buying different grades of gasoline and if he didn't charge that he would not have stayed in business 30 years. I expressed to him that the add in no way indicated that the $19.99 was a minimum price and/or that there was an extra charge should a vehicle require a different grade of oil than I suppose the base grade.

I also pointed out that, as his mechanic had stated, most cars today use require the higher priced synthetic oils, then this should have been built into their advertised price of $19.99. I strongly insisted this was very misleading advertising but to no avail, I still had to pay the $34.99 which with taxes amounted to a total of $39.98. The only response to this was that the manager had said "you probable will not be back then". Well, that was the one thing he was correct about.

I seriously believe this ad campaign is misleading. People are lured in with the great price claim of $19.99 for an oil change, they also are claiming to be $10.00 less than anyone else only to find out you will be paying not just $10.00 more like at their competitors but even more than that. In these hard economic times, the consumer does not need to be mislead in such a manner.

Economy Lube Company Profile