1.16/5
Based on 31 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Economy Lube

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

33 Economy Lube Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I have brought my two cars for oil change, but never bringing them again. I was told by them that my car needed transmission oil change and other things and it was not true. I paid $250.00 and this was incorrect. My husband told me that he had just done all that I had paid for early this year. So I was tricked into expenses that were not required. I find these people very dishonest, and they don't care for people to spend money they might not have. I will never bring any of my cars again to this place.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Just took my car there for an etest. Told wait time would be 45 minutes so I went for coffee. When I returned was told car would not start, even though the car had been running perfectly. Luckily I know a bit about cars and checked the battery connections and fuses. Somehow even though the car worked perfectly when I parked it there the fuse had somehow became unlodged and when I reset it the car stated and works perfectly. I will never return to this business for anything.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 22, 2017

I was just at Economy Lube for a regular oil change. I requested the basic oil, and that's it. When the guy came back he told me that I shouldn't get the basic because it's not good for my car and it's not what my car needs. Again, I told him I just wanted basic oil. When he came back to me a second time, he said, "We did the oil change and if you care about your car you should get the transmission fluid done". I turned around and said, if "I care about my car?... I wouldn't come here to get my oil changed if I didn't care about my car..." Then we were going back and forth about what he had said... and I want to say that sure I got my oil changed... but very poor customer service. Won't be going back. No one tells me that I should care about my car because I know what has to be done and what doesn't have to be done.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My 78 yr. old grandmother went at 1369 Dundas St E, Mississauga, ON L4Y 4E7, Canada for a vehicle inspection, got charged for a coolant change $199.00 and rustproofing $199.00 (in the middle of winter). A $30 bill went to $451.98. Not impressed.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I stopped by the Fairway Road Economy Lube this afternoon. At first, I thought I had a pretty positive experience. The staff were friendly and fast (probably too fast in retrospect). The only thing I was originally concerned about was that my oil change was $20 more than the highest price on the price board. The tech told me the price for "my oil" had just fallen off. Could happen I suppose.

A few minutes later, I was on my way - a very fast service. When I got home and read my receipt, I saw the things that should have been done - checking all the fluids and other things - could they have done all of that so fast? One of the items checked as completed was filling my windshield washer fluid. It was empty on arrival and still empty after the service. It made me wonder what else they hadn't done.

I did a quick online check of the company and was blown away at all of the negative stories/reviews/news reports, etc. I was now wondering if they even changed my oil at all. My car runs on full synthetic and I paid for full synthetic. I checked my oil and it appears very dark and smells like conventional oil. I just called my dealership to book for another oil change because I have no trust or faith in Economy Lube. I'll find out next week if they really did change the oil and if they gave me the oil I paid for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Economy Lube?

Original review: April 3, 2016

They will say you need brake fluid, trans fluid, power steering and charge you 100 to 200+ and not even do the work.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

In October 2015 I had my Pontiac Sunfire in for oil, filter and lube plus a Winter Check-up. Work was done on my transmission and the following day I had a puddle of fluid on the floor. I took the car back to them, it was put on a hoist and they did not see anything. Told me to take it to a garage with equipment that will locate the leak. So I did and the leak was found with nuts and bolts broken in the pan, loose bolts, just a real mess. Went back to Economy Lube and they would not admit any fault whatsoever. Had my leak fixed elsewhere and also the mechanic said it was not transmission fluid in the transmission. So they called Economy Lube and still no admission of any fault on their part.

Now my transmission need a total flushing and cleaning out and proper transmission fluid put in. He was not sure if any damage was done to the transmission. Now it is February 2016 and I had my car in for service and have been told my transmission is slipping and now should be replaced. Whoever was working that day the 14th of October did not know what they were doing. I will never go back there for service and would not recommend anyone to go there.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

On friday oct 25, 2015 I went to get my oil and coolant flushed at the cambridge location 688 hespeler road. I have gotten my jeep serviced by them and not one issue so I brought my truck there. I have been going there for approx one year now. So anyways my truck had no leaks or anything when it went in. I got the services done no problem. I drive home a few blocks away. Parked my truck overnight. And the next afternoon I went to go out and there is a puddle of coolant on the ground. I checked my fluid and it didn't register on the dipstick so I filled it up and drove back and told them what was going on. They topped up and said its all fine so I left. About 2 hrs later my truck was pissing coolant so I quickly shut it off and had my buddy who works for a towing company come give me a hand to fix my truck on the side of the road. I had to put 10L of coolant in my truck and went home.

I went back on monday and they said that they would fix my coolant broken hose clamp which was not broken before it went in. The one supervisor told me that I didnt know what I was talking about and that none of their technicians would undo a hose to flush the fluid out. He then told me that they dont even undo the drain plug. They undo a hose at the top of the rad. I told him that thats not the correct way of doing a coolant flush as I have worked in quite a few mechanic shops. Well moral of they story is that they don't know what they are doing and their staff are not properly trained. I have to pay more money for another coolant flush and the proper compression clamp thats needed since they said that they put on the right clamp and its not. So I will not be going back to them and recommend people not to go to them unless you want to have your vehicle screwed up and spend more money. Go to a mechanic shop.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

On September 4, 2015 we brought our vehicle (2014 KIA Rondo) to Economy Lube, 87 Gordon St. Guelph, ON for an oil change. We drove to Ottawa for the long weekend. On September 7, 2015 while driving back from Ottawa to Guelph on Highway 401, our car suddenly turned off and we immediately pulled over. A couple of attempts were made to turn the vehicle back on without success and therefore, we had to call CAA for a tow to a Canadian Tire Kingston, ON where an investigation was completed with the conclusion that the engine was seized, and the oil drain plug was missing. We left our car there and rented a car to drive back to Guelph.

Next day Sep. 8 we drove back to Kingston to arrange for our car to be assessed by KIA dealership, where we were reconfirmed that the engine was seized and the oil drain plug was missing. We were assured that when we got the oil changed at Economy Lube the employee forgot to either tighten the oil drain plug or even install one at all. Not only has this incident caused us a lot of stress but we have also spent a great deal of time and money. We have tried to get Economy Lube management to account for this incident, but we have not heard back from them yet.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

Have been going to Economy Lube for a few years. I would often been offered "Upselling" items such as transmission fluid change, fuel filter, cabin filter changes based on my mileage and history with this garage. After becoming aware of their practices, I switched to another reputable garage for my next oil change. I've just found that my transmission fluid had never been changed, fuel filter and cabin filter never changed as I was advised. I don't know how much extra I've paid for over the years for not getting the services done.

Original review: May 4, 2015

I took my Toyota to the dealer here in Cambridge for servicing and snow tire removal. While I was waiting for my car to be ready, three people came in with serious car problems, over heated engines, etc. during one hour. All three had been recently serviced by the local Economy Lube. One had lost its oil pan drain plug, one was leaking and was almost out of oil from an improperly replaced plug, and I think the third was a case of severely diluted engine coolant. I asked my mechanic about this and he said this is a daily thing from that location. He warned me to never use Economy Lube. He did recommend a good oil change place, so it wasn't like he wanted to scare me so I'd only use the dealership for everything. It was an honest warning that now has been proven to me.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2015

I have been taking my truck into the economy lube on Manitou since it was new. I have replaced both lower control arms and the tie rod ends. Then about 2 years later the lower control arms went again due to lack of lubrication. I called Chris and told him what had happened. He made excuses why the employees did not grease for fittings. He made it sound like it was my fault for NOT telling the techs there was grease fittings. It is not my job to tell the techs there are grease fittings. If they would be PROPERLY trained, I would not have had to put $1000 into my front again. The thing he doesn't know is I am a licensed mechanic so I would know if grease was put into the lower control arms I would not be out the money. If economy lube would stand behind the workmanship of its employees, it would have many more customers.

Original review: July 22, 2014

I am a small local company that has done work for the Economy Group. This work involved parts and labor on some of the buildings. It has been 6 months and they have not paid for the parts used. Steve Moxey refuses to pay without a wholesale receipt for the parts used. I have had my truck serviced at his shops and never get wholesale prices for parts installed. Stay away from this crook!

Original review: June 9, 2014

I went into Economy Lube in Guelph at 87 Gordon Avenue for an oil change. I use full synthetic oil and I now believe that they did nothing at all during this time I spent at their shop. They actually told me that I should change my transmission fluid at the same time because it was due so I told them to change it - another thing they did not. I discovered this when a week after my oil change my SUV went into another garage for warranty work. I immediately called their Regional Manager ** at 519-404-1551. He told me it was ridiculous to think that they did not do the work I paid for. He said they videotape everything they do and he would email me the video tape of my oil and transmission fluid change so I could see it being done.

Well it's now three weeks later and nothing has been emailed to me. So just now I called Chris back again. He told me they did it, but no proof?? I asked him where is my email. He said that would consume way too much of his day to do that and swept me aside, actually hung up on me?? I called back, asked him for his boss’ number. He gave me some guy's number. Would not tell me his position, just his name.

This place is a huge scam rip off. I now know from two other garages my filter and fluids were not changed. They did nothing but take my money. DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY GOING TO THIS BUSINESS. And they don’t even stand behind what they didn’t do. ** will not talk to me, will not do what he said he would? Now I know where his employees get it from.

Original review: May 28, 2014

Today I decided to stop at Economy Lube on Gordon Street in Guelph. There was a sign out front with a special on full synthetic oil change for 49.99. My matrix requires full synthetic. I told them upon arrival I wanted the full synthetic. They took the car in right away as there was no other customer. They did the oil change, I received my bill of $82.47. I asked why when the special is advertised at 49.99. I was told "Oh, that is for one type and my matrix needs another." And on top of that, they charged me $9.99 for a oil filter. "Who does that?" I said and he said that's what it is. The service rep was very rude to me, had no choice but to pay and said I will never be back. He put a big grin on and said have a good day. So basically, stay away from Economy Lube, they are crooks.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2014

Audi 2002 A4 1.8T. Right after oil change drove it for one block and oil lamp came on. Car started shaking like it was dying. Turned around and was told dipstick wasn't placed properly. They said they pushed it in and it should be good. Problem was not solved. Came back and they said dipstick plastic was broken. Ordered new one and problem remains. Took it back and they "scanned" my car. They said it's my transmission.

I have never had such a problem with my car until they "changed my oil". My tranny jumps and car is kicking when stopped. Also, to apply gas takes so much effort. The gas pedal is so heavy. I'm having the car checked out by an actual mechanic so I can go back to them with proof that they did this. So frustrated and so many hours wasted on this. Def not going back for any type of service. I just wish I knew about all their bad reviews prior to this.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2014

Today I went to Economy Lube in Guelph Ontario and they did not give me good service. They did not filled my windshield fluid and charged me over $50!! Won't go back again there!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2014

Here it goes. Firstly I can say my friend's job was not to sell, only to do work. Certain people at Economy Lube are workers who get paid more and some are sellers who get paid less but with commission. This company cares as much about the employees as it does for anyone else who walks into the shop.

First of all. There is one type of oil. Multigrade 10w30. And its recycled. Its funny because they advertise oils from $17.79 all the way up to $79.99 for full bottled synthetic. And no the bottled synthetic is not real. If you were to ask them to show you a bottle with the seal they wouldn't know what to say. Its all just refilled from our bulk oil and put in the back to look like we have it in stock. No matter if you buy the $79.99 oil or $17 oil, its the exact same thing. Second. None of their oil is Castrol. Again recycled 10w30. Third. They offer brake flushes. This is proven to be B.S. because you need to be a certified mechanic to touch brakes. No one in all of economy lube has a mechanic license.

Here's a list of every other service offered by Economy Lube and why it's a scam.

The only service you can get here that is legitimate is an engine flush, is a differential or transfer case service. And that is in the case that your vehicle takes the exact type of fluid we have. We only have one gear oil (differential) and one automatic transmission fluid. I still would never use any of Economy Lube's fluids in my own vehicle even though it was free for employees to do their own oil changes. I've never seen a co-worker use anything from Economy Lube in their vehicle.

Transmission Flush - What they do - drain from the bottom of your transmission about 3 to 4 liters of fluid, plug it back up and fill another 3 to 4 liters of new fluid. Transmissions generally hold up to 11 liters of fluid so they are really taking out a small portion and replacing it. NOT A REAL TRANSMISSION SERVICE. The real way is to connect a vacuum machine which takes it directly out of the lines while replacing it with new fluid. It should take about 30 minutes to do. Brake Flush - The worst scam of all. They suck out the fluid in your brake reservoir and put some new fluid. Then clean the reservoir tank with wd40 so it looks all clean and shiny. $59.99 for less than 2 dollars' worth of fluid you could buy at literally any gas station.

Power steering service - They suck out your power steering fluid just from the reservoir (not all of it) then put new fluid. Then they turn the steering wheel a few times to make it look like they're doing something. Then just like the brake flush, they clean it up make it look good and no one second guesses it. On the odd occasion someone will come back angry about the fluid still looking bad. In this case they're usually given the service again as well as a free car wash to make it look like an honest accident.

Fuel Injection - no name fluids. rarely sold. Fuel Filters - In my whole time being with the company, I've only seen them change a fuel filter maybe 1 out of 10 times when sold. Most are rusted on so bad they don't bother. They will just spray paint it and show you an old one they have lying around as if it just came off your car.

As I've said before there is no reason why you should bring your car to Economy Lube. The whole company is a scam and has been for 20 years. That's how professional they are at doing it. As for workers. There is no up to date first aid, fire extinguisher. There is NO eyewash AT ALL. No safety training. This is not something that is set up by employees to make sales. These services all come direct from the Owner (Stephen Moxey) and his wingman, the vice president (Chris Muter).

PS. The entire company IS closing down. 7 stores already closed and the rest by March 31st. Google BBB (Better Business Bureau) and you can see that there accreditation has been revoked due because of too many unresolved complaints. The worst part is that the owner is going to actually get away with scamming so many people.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

On Dec 28/13 I took my Pontiac Vibe to Economy Lube on Victoria St N in Kitchener. When I got there I told them I would like the $29.95 special with fluid top ups. The guy told me I needed to change my transmission fluid. He couldn't see any coolant in the reservoir or any at all and couldn't top it up because I had coolant from the dealer. He did not tell me that I needed a new air filter which I knew from the last oil change that it needed to be replaced. I was supposed to get fluid top ups. So I had my coolant checked elsewhere and it was full. I had the oil change because we were leaving for Toronto to go on a trip. Half way to the airport we ran out of wiper fluid. We had to put a significant amount of air in all four tires as they had not been checked. My receipt said they used 5W30 oil and the standard for my car is 5w20. This was very disappointing and no one will return my calls or emails regarding this botched email. Do Not get an oil change at Economy Lube. They will rip you off!!!!!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

My wife took my 2010 Acura into the Economy Lube location for a basic oil change at the Guelph location at Gordon st. and Wellington. The manager there was a fellow by the name of ** and after bringing in the car, he returned in 5 minutes with a checklist of problems with the car he said would need servicing which he said would run about $250. Now I have my vehicle serviced regularly at the dealer and knew this ** guy was lying to my wife. My wife only agreed to the oil change and the air filter change. When my wife got home, I checked the car and noticed that the dealer oil filter was still on the car and the air filter was the factory one as well. This is just the work of a corrupt and unethical company. I will never let anyone go there again and am warning everyone else out there to avoid this company like the plague.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2013

I took my van there for an oil change. They gave it back to me in about 8 minutes. I couldn't believe it. I started driving and the whole engine seized up. They didn't put the oil plug back in. Then they had the nerve to treat me like crap. I dealt with this little weasel called Chris. He was not only a moron, but an ignorant prick. I was so glad to see the market place piece. These guys are scum.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

I have been a client of this chain for a number of years but only for a basic oil change due to convenience and price. On more than one occasion, I have received misleading "recommended service interval" info and witnessed others being encouraged to perform unnecessary upsells. While working out of town one day, I was livid to hear my wife received the "$250" upsell, similar to that describe referred to on CBC Marketplace, November 9th. Typical "service with a smile". (Former employees claim to have been earning over $60,000 per year through these scams. No wonder they were smiling.)

I can only wonder now if she received anything more than the basic oil change or was also the victim of the scams videotaped by Marketplace. Not every quick change shop performs this way; unfortunately, it is buyer beware. Read your owner's manual and be an informed consumer before you agree to extras. The cheap oil change is often accompanied by overpriced filters and other add ons. Know your car, know your mechanic.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

I went to them twice. I suspected something was wrong. I did not listen to my gut instincts. The coolant was not flushed and steering and brake fluid not properly done. My new car performed worse than when I took it in, and this is a NEW car. They said they are new car warranty approved, that is IF they do the required service... Then I saw this cbc.ca. Marketplace undercover, they are BUSTED!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2013

I have been receiving harassing phone calls from Stephen ** (phone # **), and Chris ** (phone # **), falsely accusing me of doing an oil change on a car that I have previously owned (the car hasn't been registered under my name since August 28th, 2013) and not paying for the service. The car was written off by my insurance company three months ago, and I haven’t owned the car since then. The oil change was apparently done on the 30th of October 2013, three months after the insurance took the car away from me. I have tried to explain this to Mr. ** countless times, but the harassing phone calls and false accusations won’t stop.

I have contacted the police and my insurance company to aid me in this issue, and I have been informed by them to ignore the calls. This doesn't comfort me much especially since they keep harassing me and have told me that they know where I live and work. In all, this whole ordeal has caused me much stress from them constantly calling me at night and in the morning at work. I believe this issue could have been better resolved by them taking the matter up with the police and finding the current owner of the vehicle who went to do the oil change, as opposed to bombarding me with harassing phone calls and false accusations.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I'm just sitting here laughing at all these cheapskates on this website. What do you expect for $19.99? For all you suckers out there. Pay an extra 10 bucks and bring your car to a real mechanic to service. Why would you spend so much money buying a car... then bring it to a pimple-faced kid to change the oil???

What do you think will happen? LOL. Do yourself a favor and bring your car to a licensed, trained mechanic. Do you realize how much training a mechanic needs to get licensed? Do you realize how much training a part time student needs to work at Economy Lube? Do you realize how foolish you must feel right now? And do you realize how foolish you sound when you complain about this afterwards? Smarten up people... At least make the right decisions so that your parents can feel a bit proud of you for making the simple basic right decisions in life. I'm sure they taught you better than this.

Original review: June 3, 2013

I once worked at Economy Lube and must say I am ashamed of myself for working there as long as I did! For one, all of their oil is the exact same. There is no synthetic, no 10w30, no 5w20 and no 5w30. It's all the same weight and who knows what weight it actually is! It's a scam. Do not take your car here! There is a 70% chance your car will get damages by taking your car here! Another thing, the coolant we use is pretty much water! All of the fluids are crap and we are made to lie to customers or we get fired or moved to the furthest location possible! This place is crooked and the owners avoid you if a customer has an issue! Please stay away from this place. You've been warned!

Original review: June 1, 2013

I took my car to Economy Lube in Waterloo, ON to have the transmission fluid changed. They were "done" in 10 minutes. I later found out that my car has a sealed transmission and it takes at least 30 minutes to change the fluid. I verified this with a mechanic and Toyota. They both said there is no way it can be done in 10 minutes. That means I paid $100 for nothing! To make matters worse, they advertise it is $60 for a transmission fluid change. They told me I needed "special fluid" that was an extra $40. This was also a lie that I confirmed with a mechanic and Toyota. They are crooks and they lie!!!

Original review: April 24, 2013

Lied to and charged more than I normally get charged there. Jerks. I will never ever go there again. I went there for more than 20 oil changes before I finally had enough.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

I informed Chris ** regarding an oil change and he made me happy with the service I had gotten. I will be returning to Economy Lube in Brantford on Lyden Rd.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2013

I've seen oil change for CAD17.95 at Economy Lube in Brantford, ON on Lynden Rd. My sister-in-law was out shopping. I ended up getting a transmission service (CAD99), air filter (CAD20), brake fluid service (CAD89) and multi-grade oil change for CAD19.99. Then my engine light came on and my car seemed to be chugging. The man came out to see/set engine light with a gadget under dash. Light goes out. Half way to Hamilton, the light comes on again. As I was traveling, I noticed my transmission either slipping or chugging for air before it seemed to kick into gear. The light stayed on. On Sunday, I went back because the weather was too bad to go back. They were closed. This is when my nephew and I opened the hood and noticed 2 connections not reconnected. One was on but not fully shoved in and the air filter connection was not connected at all. After we connected them, the engine light went out and my car did not seem to be chugging for air. I give them no stars.

Economy Lube Company Information