1.0/5 (52 ratings)
Find an Auto and Truck Accessories partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Imperial Car Computer Exchange

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Imperial Car Computer Exchange Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Imperial Car Computer Exchange?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Imperial Car Computer Exchange?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

This company is crooked! Refusing to give a refund for the wrong ECM being sent to us, we returned it within the 60 days. They are missing notes about conversations with my guys and saying we did not ask for a refund. They sent a new one we did not want and will not give me return information or a refund. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PLACE!!! And don't deal with Lucky, he will not call you back and he does not take notes. How else would my Foreman know his name?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

This is a scam. The website states "100% iron-clad guarantee". So we purchased a refurbished engine computer for $720. The computer didn't work... at all... We returned it and only received $420. They told us to look at their "Return Policy". So these guys made $300 selling us junk!

Original review: June 17, 2020

I should have read more reviews. To start I fell for their trap. I'm now out 704.97 on a ecm that failed 2 hrs after the shop installed it. Had to send it to another ecm repair shop to be fixed right. Total scam. Don't ever buy from them.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Originally ordered ECM for my Dodge 3500 on Feb. 2, 2020. OEM unit showed code for high EGR temp. Dodge Dealer mechanic investigated and determined temp signal to ECM was good, problem was in ECM. Original unit received from CCE and installed on truck by Dodge Dealer. ECM failed (engine died, no start) after about 2 hours of operation. Returned unit for replacement.

Second ECM from CCE received on 2/27. Again installed at Dodge Dealer. Received engine light due to invalid injector codes. Contacted CCE for guidance on pathforward. Took about 4 days of phone calls, voice messages and emails to finally get someone to talk to. After discussing with tech dept. was told to ship both ECMs (OEM and the one from CCE) to CCE so that issue with OEM unit could be evaluated. Shipment received at CCE on 3/5.

Note that on each of these two events, the original OEM unit was reinstalled. This cleared the injector code or the dead engine issue, however brought back the original EGR temp code. On 4/3/20 was told that OEM unit could not be repaired and that would ship replacement unit from CCE. ECM was installed again by Dodge Dealer. On start-up received engine light with code for invalid injector codes. Dealer mechanic did a lot of troubleshooting with discussion with Dodge Technical to understand cause for code. All checks indicated issue was with ECM from CCE. ECM was again returned to CCE. Was told by CCE that the ECM checked good when returned.

Received 3RD ECM from CCE on 5/4. Installed again by Dodge Dealer and AGAIN received engine light for bad injector codes. I had highly suspected this had been just a return of the previous unit from CCE. Could not get any response to confirm or deny this or what work had been done on the unit. Added note, I do believe this is the same unit that had been received on the original shipment.

At this point I am completely frustrated with the experience with CCE, their product and lack of customer service. They have proven to be very difficult to contact and communicate with. With that I request a refund. I was told the refund request had been denied because by this time I was outside the 60 day refund policy. My response was that the extended time was due to trying to get their ECM to work in my truck. The time had elapsed with the extended troubleshooting done, the failed units, shipping and much delayed responses from Car Computer Exchange. DENIED!!!!!

On the very edge of patience, and equally close to initiating legal recourse, the ECM was again returned for one very last attempt for CCE to make this right. To confirm identity of the unit, the ECM that was returned to CCE this time was marked. This would make it easy to determine if at least the case had been changed.

The only information I could get from CCE was that the ECM checked good as received. No information of expected action or shipping was offered. Strangely, that same afternoon of my phone call, I received and email that my ECM had been shipped. Wow, what a coincidence. The 4th ECM shipment was received on 5/19 and again installed by Dodge Dealer. The ECM received did not have the tracking mark that had been made on the previous unit. With a slim sliver of hope, the engine was started after installation and after initial codes were cleared has been good for the past week. FINALLY!!!!

So, after almost 3 months and 4 ECM shipments my truck is back on the road. Safe to say I would never consider doing business with Imperial Car Computer Exchange again, or refer to any friends or family, I might would to my worst enemy. I well understand infant mortality for electronic parts and do not blame CCE for the first, or second failure. My issue with the part is when the 3rd shipment exhibited the same issue as the 2nd. However, my thought is this was not a part failure but a customer service issue. I have yet to be told what was done to the part or that it was not simply put back in the box after it passed their bench tests.

Customer service is totally absent. It sees that all calls are subject to phone number screening. I was finally able to make some reliable contact by using different phone numbers (calling from different phones, and selecting "sales" prompt). Guess that are more interested in "new money" vs. taking care of a current customer. I have read several of the reviews, good and bad, and it seems that when the initial module works that things are good. The issues with lesser rating all seemed to be mostly centered around the customer service, lack or difficulty of communication or the return policy (only within 60 days and not a full refund).

This is an explanation of my experience with Imperial Car Computer Exchange, not one I would consider repeating. The initial ordering experience went very well. The unit was ordered and received in about a week. The order saved my about $2000 from the Dealer quote for the same part. However, it went downhill after that, costing me additional shop/down time for my truck, cost of 3 return shipments to CCE and way to much frustration.

• Return on 3/5 – your ECM was received and installed in the truck. Immediately the “check engine” light came on, code was for injector error. ECM was sent back to you for repair.
• Current return 5/4 – your ECM was received from the previous return. When installed it again presented the “check engine” light with the same codes for injector error.

• Received ECM on 5/19 – installed and working correctly.

Original review: April 19, 2020

Order from Car Computer Exchange under advisement!!!! Ordered PCM for a 01 Dodge 2500, that was easy. Received the "Programmed and tested PCM", installed in accordance with their instructions. Turned the key on. Lo and behold the voltmeter gauge on the dash stayed at zero, started truck, voltmeter stayed at zero. Returned the PCM, minus the removed paint from the three bolt holes, thinking I would get a FULL refund because the PCM had no voltage control. A week and a half later, I get refunded 269.68 not 569.68, called and asked for a reason, programing fee 200, restocking fee 100 on a PCM that didn't work. William **.

Original review: March 6, 2020

BEWARE...DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!! If I could give them a zero I would. I ordered a PCM for my husband's truck. It was defective. It would not let you run a diagnostic scan. I called to return it. That was fine. After I sent it back it was like 3 weeks and I didn't hear from them so I called, left 3 messages, no response. Called again. Someone finally picked up. I asked what the status of the PCM was. I was told that they were working on it and it should ship in a week. Well a week came and went no PCM. Called again. I was told that the technician was having trouble fixing it. Well if "the technician was having trouble fixing it" that means there was something wrong with it, correct. After another 2 weeks my husband called told them to return his original PCM and give us a refund. The girl who answers the phone agreed.

It took 2 more weeks to get the original PCM back and another month to get a refund which was less than half of what we paid. According to the customer service person we were charged 25% restock fee and a $50 program fee. Somebody down there can't do math because 25% of $298.95 is $74.73 plus the $50 is $124.73 not $150 which is what they took. Secondly why should I have to pay a restock fee or a program fee for a defective piece of equipment. Bought another one from another company, plugged it in, truck started right up and run like champ. The junk these people sent was defective!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

Do not use these people. I didn't read reviews and now regret the two key sent did not work. They will not replace or refund. Not fair. I called and the computer worked on the original key so the customer rep said to, "Send back. We will refund for the defective keys sent back" and they refused to refund my money.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

This company is a fraud don't ever do business with them. They'll steal your money. I bought a PCM from the guy named Brian. The PCM didn't last long kept having problems with it was regularly going out with losing programming. I had a brand new 6 cylinder PC from RockAuto I gave him out of good faith being I switched my jeep over to a v8 and didnt need the 6cyl com on top of paying him what he charged and still got rotten service? I went and got three other PCM from salvage yard. That he told me to get that he can program and make them work in my Jeep to work my cluster and only one of them did the other two didn't that's after him having them for over 9 months and after he cashed my $650 money order.

He sent the four pcms back to me in the same condition I sent to him nonworking. I sent two of them back to him and never heard nothing back from him. The one good one I had from the salvage yard that he had repaired the voltage regular in it went bad again, of course. And I sent it to a real PC repair company called Solo in Florida. And those guys fixed it. They are top-notch. Car Computer Exchange is not. They're bunch of fraudsters. They will spoon-feed you all the lies in the world to keep your money. Don't do business with them and that's my opinion. Beware of these thieves crook. And don't waste your time with the Better Business Bureau because they won't to do nothing about them when they should be put out of business. That's my opinion?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Don’t make the same mistake as I did in not reading their reviews. History repeats is my experience with this very dishonest company that has a long history of cheating customers. I have filed an complaint with the BBB.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

Beware on what you are going to purchase. Purchased a new ECM for my vehicle, arrived on time with no issue but after having a mechanic install the unit found out the new ECM was bad and threw a new vehicle code different from what was originally diagnosed. Had to have mechanic purchase their own unit and install to fix the car. When I tried to return the unit I purchased from them I was told I could get a full refund with no issue. Followed all of the required items in their policy and then was only given 58% of the total purchase back. When I called, I was then told that even though I was told I could get a full refund they were following their policy any gas vehicle parts returned would have 25% processing fee and a $50 stocking fee on a case by case basis.

"3. All units returned are subject to fees on a case-by-case bases. some cases are as follows:
A. Any gas module returned that is not a repair service will be charged a 25% Processing Fee, and a $50.00 Programming Fee.
B. On gas modules returned for repair service that are deemed unrepairable a testing and inspection fee of $125.00 will be charge on modules costing less than $400.00, and $200.00 testing and inspection fee will be charged on gas modules costing more than $400.00.

C. On diesel modules where the cost of the module is over $400.00 and the module is deemed unrepairable there is a $250.00 fee."

When I called Car Computer Exchange, I was told that this statement on their return policy page is what was supposed to be communicated to me and that what was informed over the phone was not correct. Why am I being charged for a processing and restocking fee on a part that wasn't working from the get-go. No other responses have been communicated to me even after I emailed them. On top of that after doing the reduction of their own policy, Car Computer took 31% processing fee and the $50.00 stocking fee. Word to the wise just pay the extra money from your mechanic and don't deal with this group or other groups that I researched online as the parts are less expensive but have a lot of issues to them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I purchased one of their PCMs, thinking it was a legitimate business, but they are liars and crooks. I received the part that I ordered, but it did not work, so I returned it. They only refunded a portion of my money after several attempts of trying to contact them (phone and in email). These people almost never answer the phone and when they do, they're extremely rude. I cannot believe this company is taking people's money like this, do not purchase!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

This is organized fraud and should be investigated. I don't think they even wanted to provide a working part. They lure you in with 48 hr shipment of your part advertised. They collect your money and on to the next sucker. The secretary is a born liar, each lie told to customers rehearsed. It has been 25 days since this nightmare started and still don't have a working part. We have initiated legal action. DON'T DO IT PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Ordered a computer for 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 van and was sent a defective computer that worked for 15-20 minutes and the engine shut off. Sent back the module to Imperial Car Computer Exchange in Cary, NC for a change. I was told they could find no problems with the unit. They sent it to be painted and mailed it back to me. Of course, it did the same problem.

I found another computer locally that does work with NO PROBLEMS and sent Imperial Car Computer Exchange their module back asking for a refund. I was refused a refund because it was beyond the 60 guarantee that they have. Because of their defective products and horrible customer service (supervisor told me that it wasn´t his problem where the computer was being shipped to and what our problems were) I am out $300.00 for the unit, $150 spent on shipping, and they KEPT the original unit from the van and the defective ones I sent back!!! WATCH OUT before you get involved with IMPERIAL CAR COMPUTER EXCHANGE located in Cary, NC.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

This company and their product offering sounded like a great idea. It took much longer to get the ECM for my car than they had said it would. When it arrived, my mechanical said it was not programmed as promised. He tried to program it but could not. I emailed several times and called trying to get someone at car computer exchange to talk to my mechanic. It never happened. I called again and they told me to ship the part back and mark REFUND on the box and I would get a refund.

After some time I had received nothing. I emailed them and then did get a portion of my money back. They kept $150. Nothing in any of the paperwork, emails or on line or on the phone said anything about keeping $150 of my money. I am now going to write to my credit card company to see if they can help get the remaining $150 back. Again, it sounded great but it was not. Do not deal with these folks. They also charged the full amount to my credit card the day I ordered the ECM, not when they shipped it. That might have been a clue.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Purchased a PCM for my 99 Durango May 14 2019. It arrived in about a week and would only operate the ignition coil for about 50 seconds then shut down truck getting a no buss display on the dash. I have been nothing but a technician all my 62 years of living. I have scan tools and am aware of the testing procedures needed to diagnose vehicle electrical problems. Keep in mind the original PCM will run this truck indefinitely, it just has no ground control to the purge solenoid. I don't like having an engine light on, so I purchased this PCM from these guys. I sent it back on the 20th of May, and it took over a week for it to arrive at the destination. I called after about 3 days and the girl told me it was defective and they would send another one out to me the next day. I left 5 emails and 7 phone messages with no returns from them.

I called today June 3rd, and the same girl told me the PCM I returned to them checked out OK and they could only return the same one back to me, or give me a half back refund. She claims she didn't recall ever saying it was defective, although she surely had the same name as the Girl that did. Sales, existing orders, and tech support are all go the this same girl that knows nothing except how to be rude and short on the phone to customers. The longer she talks the more ** her language gets, 'til it's not understandable.

So all this time they have been sitting on this defective PCM I returned with no plans to ever call me or contact me in any way. She said they mostly considerate on their incoming calls finally. All electrical circuits and wiring checks out perfect on my truck, but that means nothing to this nasty girl. She just don't care. I am an Automotive Electrical Technician by trade all my life 62 years, and not I have to listen to ghetto language to try to get something done. $257.95 wasted, with no answers for any of my questions, so I turned it into PayPal. How does this society allow a business to operate this way. I am very upset, with my money tied up, for junk yard parts, that they have no knowledge of testing. I had to cancel a trip now because of Imperial Car Computer Exchange.. And why do they operate under two names for 5 years that I know of?? From Joe **.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We sent in our computer module for repair in January. After about a week we got a message stating that it could not be repaired and they would send our part back to us and refund our money. They refunded half of our money and sent back a part but it wasn’t the one we sent in. We have pictures with serial numbers to prove it. Talked to Brian who asked us to send the incorrect part back to them. Once they received it they refuse to talk to us. It is now the end of May and we still do not have our computer module back. We have been hung up on several times, sent numerous emails with no reply, been told off by their horrible receptionist and have been promised a call back. Needless to say we have never been called. I can not say this enough... DO NOT go through this company!!! We are now going to take legal action. This is totally unacceptable!!

Original review: May 22, 2019

On April 20, 2019, I ordered a ECM/PCM from CarComputerExchange.com/Imperial Auto Services, Cary, N.C. for $264.95. I paid for it with PayPal Credit. It arrived on April 30, 2019, after I installed it my 2009 Dodge Ram, it ran worse than my original ECM. Way to lean and was killing my battery. I put my original back in, it ran better except for the misfires. I sent it back and they recv'd it on May 2, 2019, I asked for a full refund of $263.95. After several attempts to find out where my refund was, I finally recv'd a partial refund two weeks later. I checked my PayPal account to find that they had only refunded me $123.95, they kept my $140.00 with no explanation as to why. On May 21, 2019, I filed a dispute with PayPal Credit to get to get the rest of my refund.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I exchanged mine 3x. My truck wouldn't start for any of them. By the time I got the last one that didn't work, my 60 day return policy expired. They ended up keeping the part, my money and stopped responding to my emails.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Go with any company other than this one. Sent ecm in for repair, got it back and it didn’t work, no reply to emails or return of phone calls. I don’t believe they did anything to the ecm other than put a sticker on it and return it. Don’t waste your time and money on this place.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Ordered an ECM for my 2008 Dodge 3500 6.7L. Was told it would be here in a week. A month later it shows up. Take it to my diesel mechanic and it doesn't work. Sent it back in November of 2018. To this day still haven't received my product. Have been told by Brian, that they are working on some. And he would call back. Nobody has ever called back. I call about 3 times a week. The past 3 weeks Brian is unavailable. Nobody can tell me anything about my ECM. Do not do business here. Spend the extra money and get it somewhere else. 5 months my dually has been sitting. Imperial Car Computer Exchange is not a reputable company.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I ordered a ECM and received a PCM. I called and was told the ECM was more money and when they received the PCM back that amount would be credited toward the ECM I needed. I said no problem. When they received the part they charged me the difference ($345.28). After several days I called and was told they did not have the part I needed. I then told them to cancel the order and refund my credit card. To date I was charged $569.68 for the wrong part, $345.28 for the part they did not have and was never sent to me, I received a credit for $308.95. They are charging me $606.00 for a part that cost $569.68 and was returned to them. I have been calling almost daily only to be told they will look into it and call me back. It's been two months and no callback. THIS IS NOT RIGHT. I won't give in.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I ordered a PCM in March. I sent them a photo of the VIN number to make sure it would be keyed properly. It wasn't keyed at all. I was sent a refurbished PCM, was told to pay a locksmith to have it keyed and it would work. I paid $110 to a locksmith, and the PCM didn't work. I then sent them the one from my car to refurbish. They did refurbish it, and sent it back to me. It failed again in October. I spoke with Brian and he assured me that it was covered and that they would get this fixed and back to me right away. I let him know that he needed to fix mine and mail it back, DO NOT SEND ME A DIFFERENT ONE. They sent a different one. They now expect me to pay a locksmith $110 again to try and key the car with no guarantee that it will work.

I have asked Brian to please guarantee me that it will work, or that they would pay the next locksmith fee if it did not, they said no. I asked for a refund, they said no. I now have a 2000 lb paperweight in my driveway with no working PCM. I have been calling for a week straight with no luck. Each time I call I am assured that Brian or the owner would call me back the same day... They never do. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I ordered a Dakota RT in 1999 and have had it ever since. For Christmas, I decided to order a backup ECM to have on the shelf, and if lucky the flash would be an upgrade to my OEM. Well, once I read the BS from ICCE I knew I had picked the wrong folks to deal with. It contained a full list of untruths concerning modules. Modules withstand tremendous loading in crashes and all sorts of cleaners and solvents and despite what the vendor claims, I have yet to see a sensor foul a module. The vendor makes it plain, in the packaging, (nowhere on the website) if anything goes wrong with your purchased module, it is your fault... My shipment was damaged but I feel certain it had nothing to do with the "correctly" installed ICCE brick. And a brick it was. My 360 Magnum did not even try to start, though it did try to backfire.

I have no clue what this brick they sent goes to but it is not what I ordered. It is frustrating to take several hours out of a few hours vacation...wasted on junk! I reinstalled my OEM (which in 20 years has only thrown one code). It fired right off. It is certain, after reading dozens and dozens of reviews this evening, ICCE does not care about good business practice. Folks, I grew up around a working garage as a child and studied math and engineering in college. The product I was sent was junk when it left their possession. Please think before you do any business with these folks! Thanks for your time.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We ordered an ECU, received a PCM and we waited more than 4 weeks to receive the correct item and never received. We returned the incorrect product within one week, original box, never used and requested a refund. We noticed today we received a partial refund, $400 less than what we originally paid for an incorrect product. Do not do business with this company, they are terrible and clearly using a review service to create fake Google reviews on their behalf.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I ordered a computer on Oct 16 2018, for a 2007 Ford Taurus. I gave them the VIN and the part number from the old computer. The replacement unit is supposed to have the correct VIN programmed into it and be ready to "plug and play". Got the replacement on Oct 22. I installed it and immediately noticed the correct VIN HAD NOT been programmed in. The vehicle would not start and run with the replacement unit installed, however it would start and run with the original unit, it just had a misfiring cylinder.

Upon checking the part number on the replacement unit with my local Ford dealership it was determined that the replacement was from a 2004 Sable with an entirely different engine and was incompatible with my vehicle. I contacted the vendor and was told to send it back (at my expense) and they would take a look at it. I told them that was unacceptable, that I had a customers car down and they can't wait another 10 days to get back on the road. I asked if they could ship out another unit overnight at their expense since this was clearly their fault. He scoffed and said "Yeah, that's not gonna happen". I found a replacement unit locally and sent theirs back for a refund. They only refunded 109.90 of the 219.90 price I was charged. They completely misrepresented their product. On their website they claim to program the correct VIN and live test each unit before it ships. They did not do either. These people are dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Car Computer Exchange, seen here as Imperial Car Computer Exchange, and shows up as Imperial Auto Services LLC on PayPal out of Cary NC sent me a defective part so I know they do not test every component but they should. The EMC they sent me would not even send a signal to my fuel pump so my vehicle wouldn't even start. Then trying to get a replacement part is where my major frustrations occurred because after many weeks and no return calls I finally had to open a dispute with PayPal and was awarded a full refund of my $815.

If you do decide to use this company then make sure to pay with PayPal for extra security and check every component your part should run to ensure that a non-working component doesn't cause more damage to another part of your engine in the future. When I told the receptionist I was tired of the runaround and would be requesting a full refund, she told me that they would withhold 30% restocking fee and $200 for programming my VIN because I returned their part. With PayPal, I had the security of their warranty and received a FULL refund due to not receiving what I ordered, which was supposed to be a fully tested and working END! I do not recommend this company!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Terrible customer service. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. Here's my story. I purchased a PCM for $388 in July of 2018. I didn't receive it until mid August. The unit was faulty and they were quick to test it "fix" and send it back (about a week). Unfortunately the same problem persisted with the second unit they sent out (it wasn't supplying any power to the TB) and would remedy itself when I put the original PCM back in the vehicle.

No big deal, it's a re-manufactured PCM and weird things can happen. I requested a refund and they let me know it would take 7-10 business days. I got the refund today 9/26. Unfortunately my refund was $200 less than the original purchase!! I called and was told by a supervisor (Brian) that it doesn't matter whether the unit was faulty or not, their return policy is policy and they can't do anything about it. When I tried to explain to him that he had not fulfilled my original order because I was never sent a working unit, he was no less unmoved. Be warned folks. If you have any issues with your purchase with these people, they will keep more than HALF your money (a 25% and $50 fee). I'm really not sure how they have reviewed so well.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Ordered a computer, received it, did not work AFTER I paid $160.00 to have key fob reprogrammed to it. Sent it back, it came back STILL DEFECTIVE! Took unit to Ford Dealership where they verified unit was junk and not even programmed to the VIN Number on my vehicle as they claim to do. Try to get them to do the right thing since I had documentation unit was junk, but they refused. Luckily, PAYPAL sided with me and the evidence I presented and refunded my money. I wish I had done a little more digging, I am not the only one who has been through this. Their customer service is a joke!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Bought a PCM less than 30 days ago & it was bad & sent an email that very same day. I got to let them know. I sent it back under their 1 year warranty & took 2 weeks to only get back half my money. This company is a scam & needs shut down ASAP. Nice way to make money no matter what such as sell a bad item & when it comes back sell to someone else & always making money, what a racket.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Ordered a new PCM from them. After 3 weeks and multiple excuses on what and where it was I had to contact and contest charge with credit card company. Not knowing it was the same crap company I then sent my PCM in for repair. They said it was unrepairable and didn't refund the price paid. You will have to contest the charge with bank or credit card company. This company is a scam. They stopped getting enough orders on parts to keep business up so resorted to stealing money by listing fake repair services and returning as unrepairable. Dealership said it was good and something else giving repair error. It's obvious they don't know jack.

Imperial Car Computer Exchange Company Information